Don’t panic!

First consecutive losses of the season.

Sports radio will be lively today.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

About last night …

Pierre Ladouceur’s analysis

1. ZepFan2 says:
    “To be honest, they outworked us,” said Hamrlik.”
    Unbelievable.

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

2. HABSsince92 says:

So anybody might think the chemistry is off with Markov back…….

I
    know in interviews over the Summer Price and Markov said they “made up”
    but I;m wondering if there might still be some issues between them. The
    2 games with Markov have been a complete 180 from the first 10 without
    him. Just throwing this out there.

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

3. HABSsince92 says:

So anybody might think the chemistry is off with Markov back…….

I
    know in interviews over the Summer Price and Markov said they “made up”
    but I;m wondering if there might still be some issues between them. The
    2 games with Markov have been a complete 180 from the first 10 without
    him. Just throwing this out there.

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

4. punkster says:

Wasn’t a meteor show. It was Smart Dog re-entering the atmosphere after going ballistic during last night’s game.

5. Storm Man says:

Smarties work better.

6. shiram says:

Scoring goals would help, i think we might have won last night if our team scored a few goals.
    So thats my suggestion, our guys needs to score goals.

7. Clay4bc says:

So soon? That’s great news!

__________________________

Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
    — Bertrand Russell

8. avatar_58 says:

Mmmm? Sorry I was thinking about skittles…

9. pic1983 says:

Gotta give him some time.  He missed all of training camp, and couldnt really train all summer.  Its very different than last year where he actually trained all summer, was in training camp, and than got injured the first game of the season.

10. pic1983 says:

Depends on the limited no trade clause.  It can something like spacek has to give the habs a list of 10 teams hed be willing to be traded to at the start of the season, or it can something like Kaberle has where his no trade clause disappears for a short window in the summer if his team missed the playoffs.

Our best bet for spacek would be burrying him in the minors, or just buying him out at seasons end.  If my math is right, wed be on the hook for a roughly 1.3 million dollar cap hit for next year and the year after if we bought him out this summer.  He might pick up his play at some point this season and these points will become moot, but I think he’s playing so poorly right now that JM should actually sit him.

11. joeybarrie says:

HUH? I can’t hear what your saying Elisha, mostly cause I am not paying attention. I am thinking about purple skittles. SHE IS HOT. Who cares what she tweets?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

12. Storm Man says:

She need’s to get her head on straight and start tweeting about the going on’s with the 24 movie.

13. krob1000 says:

24 cups aren’t enough for 55 beer Steve…..

14. krob1000 says:

24 cups aren’t enough for 55 beer Steve…..

15. nick says:

Get in line!  LOL

16. mike g says:

Never happens here..

At least not since Headbanger33 was still running around here…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

17. avatar_58 says:

I’m not so sure he’s interested in her mind. I mean I’d like to go skittle hunting with her if you know what I mean….

18. Storm Man says:

The Dates Im looking at are as follows…. November 13,16,18,20. I hope to enjoy myself at all 4 games at the Bell. I see the word panic and think this could manifest into herd behavior, Does this ever happen here on HIO?

19. showey47 says:

There is one off hwy 10,i think its called bridge street. I usually pick up a bunch of them for the baseball team when i go down there in the summer.

20. SmartDog says:

Don’t be so grumpy.  Everything will be fine as soon as Gomez and Gionta hit their strides in 30 or 40 games.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

21. mike g says:

That lady in your pic….

(f’kin Storm Man, always with the fancy ladies as his avatar)

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

22. mike g says:

Too much gap…

There’s just too much space between our forwards and defenseman. That’s what causes these odd-man rushes.

Ever notice when our wingers get the puck when exiting our zone, they have between 3-5 feet between them and the other teams defensemen? That’s called gap control. They don’t give our forwards any space or time to generate speed or create a play. So we have to dump it our turn it over.

Our gap is too big though. I often see us giving the other team even 10 feet of space in the neutral zone. That’s where they’ll generate speed and create plays, which force our defenseman to panic and sometimes fall, or pinch because they know the other teams players will burm right by them anyways.

Games are won and lost in the neutral zone. That’s why the Devils won for so many years, they clogged it up and didn’t allow other teams to gain speed or scoring chances.

When our small forwards aren’t given space and time to gain speed, were done.

There’s a solution. Our forwards have to drop deeper/lower into our zone in order to gain this space. That’s why Gomez flies by everyone. He starts from behind our net.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

23. secretdragonfly says:

Hey Steve, not sure about the beer pricing but if you’re coming in on Highway 40 through the West Island, there’s a Costco in Pointe Claire (see link).  Better bring enough for everyone.

24. pic1983 says:

If you’re taking the 40 into montreal, than theres a costco on the westbound side of the 40 between the St-jean and sources exits.  Easiest way I guess would be to get off at Sources Blvd, and loop around back to the 40 west, stay on the service road, and it will be on your right a bit before st jean blvd.  That would be the easiest route to remember, im sure google maps would give you a more direct route.

25. showey47 says:

Despite being shutout twice we are still 5th in the league in 5 on 5 scoring which was a major issue last year, I will take this years problem with the PP over last years problem. Fixing a PP is easier then fixing 5 on 5 scoring. For example,a one trick pony like mab could help the PP in a big way but at the same time has no chance in hell of ever improving any teams 5 on 5. I agree there is no need to hit the panic button but i do feel its time to start dealing with the PP issues,the 2nd line and our 2nd defensive pairing. We got off to a good start with a strong first month of the season,but thats no reason to try not to improve in the required areas.

26. SmartDog says:

A little cheer-up for the day:

The Maple Leafs are officially in trouble. They lost 3-2 to the Ottawa Senators, their GM called some fans “a
    disgrace” for booing, and their captain — the object of such boos — is
    now out with a cut leg and doubtful for Wednesday’s game against the
    Washington Capitals.

And she may be hot, but Elisha Cuthbert (Dions hand-me-down GF) sure isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed…. she’s tweeting about his injury.  And here are some of her other recent tweets:

Found a purple Skittle down my cleavage. I think it’s been there since this afternoon. ….hmm

The
    question amongst my group of friends is = “What do guys REALLY prefer?
    Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads?” Honestly and truthfully.

A flying duck almost pooped on me but narrowly missed. Thanks Donald

Wow. Very, very talented.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Trade for Samsonov, Boom.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. habs365 says:

Here’s some of the habs problems why they’re losing. after 12 games those players have a grand production of 7 goals….Eller 0 goals,  Gionta 1 goal,  Gomez 1 goal, Lapierre 1 goal,  Moen 2 goals,  Pouliot 2 goals,  Pyatt 0 goals…we’re talking about 7 players here and you’re wondering why we’re starting to lose games and if you look at the rest of the forwards, we have pleks and ak46 that’s doing the scoring and what really makes me laugh we actually have fans out there that think this team is a contender, hey could be but they sure as hell not playing like it. we’ll see soon they’re starting to play against teams now that can score, keep you’re eye on the standings by the end of november they’re be a lot of disappointed fans, oh by the way I didn’t get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, just commenting on what I see….

29. Storm Man says:

What are you having for lunch today?

30. mike g says:

So, just to recap the morning on HIO…

1- We should trade or find a way to rid ourselves of the useless Markov

2- We must get the spectacular MAB to save our PP

…….

Alright, got it.

Anything else guys? Any other great suggestions?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

31. Black Jacques Halak says:

Why the Habs aren;t winning.

Quite simple really.  For at least most of this season and part of last (except the playoffs but even then)

When there is an odd man O-zone rush, the support players peel off for a line change.  Last year the Habs were awful on the line changes.  This year is a bit better, but the issue still remains, the D plays back (Subb too) no one hits in the middle of the ice.  NO ONE.  the puck carriers on the other team don;t have a worry in the world.

THe Goal tending has been good to stellar, the D- has been inconsistent.  Allowing 40 shots one game. 18 the next.

I think a big reason there is no scoring.  No one in front of the net.  timing or something is off.  they are not cycling well. the PP has been god awful.  No offence in there whatsoever.  They need to re-establish what they had last year and not copy GB’s system.  Kirk You gotta stop trying to get different result by doing the same thing over and over again.

One on a O-zone rush, don;t make all the players change, send in two.  The other guys can change, if nothing comes of it you can change later.

On the D-Zone offensive attack.  Move it like you were in the Playoffs last year for starters,  don;t pass through the high slot blindly!

GO HABS GO

Sent from a friend: “Steve, If you have a Costco membership, and can find one in Quebec, you can
    also purchase beer there! I have been told you can purchase a case of 55 for $55.00.”

Is this true?  If so, where would I find a Costco that is easy to access coming from the Ontario border and heading toward Montreal?

33. Say Ash says:

Remember Gung Ho?

“Hey, nice ribbons.”

“THOSE ARE RIBBONS OF SHAME!”

“I’d wear ‘em on the inside if I was you.”

34. SeriousFan09 says:

I am 8-2-0 for the last 10 hockey games I attended in person Ian, Saturday is in the bag!

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

3 points would be nice Bill.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

MTL: 14-20-3 w/o Markov last season, 25-13-7 after he returned.

Dragged a 5’9″ boat anchor around for half of the Washington series in the playoffs and helped upset the Capitals. Yeah, clearly not getting it done.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

37. Clay4bc says:

Willie Stargell stars started in 1979 – look it up – it’s a good example of what you’re talking about.

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

38. HabsoluteFan says:

It`s been 2 games man…seriously

39. Everlasting1 says:

The rumor is the vegan had a cravin’ for an authentic philly cheese steak hoagie. All other rumors are unsubstantiated.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin Don’t pollute the water.

40. nick says:

Hey off topic – anyone see the meteor shower over MTL last night? Must have seen a dozen or so from on the island which is pretty rare given the light pollution…

41. Bob Dobbs says:

Absu writes: “The question now is will the second 10 games be as bad as the first 10 were good?”

Geeze, obviously he’s pissed off with the habs and taking the luxury of venting his personal frustration in his article. Too bad, I usually like what he has to say.

Anyways, in other news… are the habs in a scoring slump? NO. Gionta and Cammy are in a scoring slump, and the power play isn’t clicking, period, I don’t see any reason to make the issue bigger than this. It’s not as though the habs don’t have lots of offensive weapons or are too small. Hopefully JM will finally put someone better than Moen on the second line.

You know what’s really surprising to me, I thought Gionta was very tough, mentally that is. Is the captaincy pressure getting to him? I really didn’t realize he was the type of player who’s susceptible like that, and it makes me wonder if he’s the right man to be the captain. Alternatively, maybe it’s just an ordinary scoring slump.

Now could someone tell me exactly what’s up with Spacek’s contract? On capgeeks it says “limited no trade clause” but it doesn’t elaborate what that means. Thanks…

42. pic1983 says:

You would certainly hope so, but you’re not exactly talking to JM’s biggest fan.  I find he’s stuck in his archaic ways.  The fact that he hasnt put a forward at the point on the PP, like many other teams in the NHL, just goes to show that hes of the old school mentality.  I love josh gorges, but he doesnt really have any business being on the powerplay, and I cringe everytime i see hammer and spacek out there on the PP.  He also doesnt seem to have much patience when it comes to trying new things.  He tries it, and if he doesnt get instant results he changes it right back.

Pierre Mcguire actually had a great idea when he suggested pleks play the point on the PP.  He’s our best decision maker, hes an amazing passer, he’s excellent defensively, and he can step into one if he has an opening.

43. JohnBellyful says:

Judging by the performance of many players these days, multimillion dollar contracts and aspirations to be on a Stanley Cup team apparently aren’t the incentives they used to be to achieving success in the NHL. Something else is needed to spur them to excel on a consistent basis: shame/personal pride.

There was a time in university football – and could very well remain so, I don’t really follow it that closely – when players would be recognized for an outstanding game with a star on the helmet. The more stars, the better the player (shades of grade school).

The same idea should be adopted in the NHL, but with representations of pucks illuminated by light emitting diodes coloured red. And the mini-pucks would denote each player’s plus-minus (not goals) for the season. Players with a minus would sport orange mini-pucks – fuschia, perhaps? – that flash, to encourage a greater expenditure of effort of the part of the stigmatized player.

It would make for interesting conversations in the dressing room as players praise/berate teammates for helping to raise/lower their plus/minus. Frank and open discussions are always good team-building exercises. It would foster a unity of purpose above and beyond merely winning a game: to help each other from being marked as a negative.

At the very least, it would save fans the bother of looking up an interesting stat.

( –

44. lavie says:

I (personally) did’t see his contribution to the team’s recent success after his comebak from his injuries.

45. HabsoluteFan says:

Oh my bad, I just googled Markov and found out he has no points in the last 6 months…can’t believe we’re paying him so much money for this kind of production.

46. lavie says:

Markov’s era is almost over?

47. nick says:

Dunno, he was at the Vancouver / Chicago game a week or so ago.

48. joeybarrie says:

Enough with all the nonsense.

AK, Pleks, Cammi

Gio, Gomez, Pouliot

Moen, Halpern, Lapierre

Boyd, Eller, Pyatt

They were woken up last night. Next game will be different. We are making a MOUNTIAN out of nothing. We keep focusing on Gio missing, Gomez whatever it is he isnt doing right, Cammi, blah blah blah. Focusing does nothing but make it worse.

We know who the top 6 are. suggesting we bench or move to the 4th anyone on the top six isnt helping. The defense was awful last night, and the forwards couldn’t produce. But of course Halak would have won it for us… They need to get back to practice, and get on to the next game. Our players are GOOD. VERY GOOD.

Over analyze it, over state things. NONSENSE. Get them back on the ice, and back into a game. You think your special underwear will help you score, and you find your NEED your special underwear to score.   UM NO. You need your hockey stick. Lets not make up nonsense to fill the void.

Tampa Bay got killed 6-0 against Florida. It happens. Let’s see how they do against the Caps, Kings, Sharks and Pens in their next 6 games…

SAME WITH US. We play down to the team we play against. Next up Ryan Miller….

Last season at this time we were dealing with injuries. Our problem now is players sucking. At least we aren’t behind in the league and our players can play next game…  Last year we had 5 wins in November. This year is looking better… Let’s get realistic.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

49. HabsoluteFan says:

I like that line-up, you never know what the results could be unless you try it.  I don’t see Martin making these changes but if the lack of scoring keeps up for a couple more games, he has to do something…right ?

50. Bill H says:

Here in Toronto we can thank TSN.  They show the Minnesota vs San Jose game last night.  I’m used to Maple Leaf games getting priority in Toronto, but Minnesota and San Jose?  Come on now.  There’s got to be more Habs fan in Southern Ontario than Minnesota fans.

51. mike g says:

Might be able to get a Twinkie….

That’s if Spacek doesn’t eat it before it gets to PG’s desk…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

52. tdrmoss84 says:

A bag of pucks for 6 and 44?  Do you really think we could get that much in return for those two?

53. jimmy shaker says:

So what are  the results of PG watching the Canes/Flyers game monday night?  Any rumors/stories to be heard?

SHaker

54. jimmy shaker says:

I’ll give Markov about 8 more games to shake off the rust, but after that I hope he gets his arce into the games.  Seems disinterested and lacking heart out there already.  I’ll just chalk it up to the injury and inactivity for several months.  Almost reminding me of Kovalev and his floatiness out there at times.  C’mon Marky “Wake’em up”!!!!!

Shaker

55. mike g says:

I’m such an idiot…

After watching hockey for 18 years, you’d think I’d know better than to watch a Columbus Blue Jackets game, eh?

And then I wonder why I had insomnia last night. I was about 12 seconds away from popping 28 sleeping pills….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

56. pic1983 says:

Because theres quite a few concerns with this team which dont look any closer to being corrected, and the fact that the two losses were not only bad because we lost, but totally boring games altogether against two non-playoff teams.

However, if we can get 3 points this weekend, were right back on track.

57. VintageFan says:

Don’t Panic?  After 12 games, the Aged Three are already looking tired (and slow).  They need to be rested now to be ready for the playoffs. OK, OK, IF we get to the playoffs

58. pic1983 says:

I kept saying that in terms of players that compliment each other, I feel that Cammalleri should go with Gomez and Pouliot, and Gionta should switch with Pleks and Kostitsyn.  I just dont see this supposed chemistry between gomez and gionta.  Gionta is trying to be a pure sniper, but clearly his shot isnt what it used to be.  If anyone can get Gionta going, its Pleks, and if anyone can get gomez going, its probably Cammy.

59. mike g says:

It’s not a depression, what you have is called a “Habs Hangover”….

You know, the feeling you have the morning after a loss. That empty feeling in your stomach, that you just know isn’t hunger calling you. And the way people in line at Tim Horton’s or the gaz station are all bitchy and look like they just got hit by a truck. Then you get to work and don’t want to do anything, and take extra breaks all day just to feel like a rebel towards your employer.

Yea, that’s called a Habs Hangover.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

60. HabsoluteFan says:

You have a point, but I remember those 3 having good chemistry last year and when Martin needed a goal, he often would send those 3 on the ice together.  I think Gionta needs a few markers to get going.  We all know the captain and Cammalleri will eventually put the puck in the net and get out of their slumps.  Maybe a few assists from Gomez on those goals would take some pressure off him and get him going also

61. shiram says:

Bench Markov, we lost everytime since he came back!!! Replace him with MAB and we win all games!!
    JM is not a good gm and stuff also…

bah, im kidding, couldnt watch the game last night, but it seems i didnt miss all too much.

62. SmartDog says:

Because you lack faith.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

63. SmartDog says:
    It
    might seem like blasphemy to break up the line of Kostitsyn, Plekanec
    and Cammalleri but, Martin noted: “If you look at the last three games,
    they haven’t done anything either.”
    So the Plekanec line is on a 3 game leash and the Gomez line is on a 15-20 game leash.  Makes total sense to seperate your two most successful scorers.   Why not move Cammalleri if someone had to move?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

64. joeybarrie says:

Our team is 7-4-1. We are tied for first in the East. Our biggest concern is playing great (Price).

Why am I so depressed?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

65. Bill H says:

It had to happen at some point, losing 2 in a row.  On a positive note, we are in first place in the division.  Neither Buffalo or Ottawa are going to roll over and play dead on the weekend, so the team will have to get its act together between now and Friday night.  A 4 point weekend would brighten my world.  I’ll settle for 3 points though.  Yup, 3 points and we are in good shape.  Come on now, we need some positive vibes.

For a humorous look at last night’s game, take a peek at JT’s blog.  Thanks for the chuckle JT!

66. HabFanSince72 says:

As if there wasn’t enough bad news, it looks like neither Leblanc nor Kristo are lighting up their respective leagues.

67. avatar_58 says:

If it’s Pearn I agree, if it’s Muller I suggest patience

68. jimmy shaker says:

Carey was our best player last night hands down….but just a piece of criticism towards him if I may.  He really seems to overplay the shooter last night, leaving the poke check as his last resort for a save.  It  worked once but not the second time.  I know moving east to west then having to back to the east is a tough spot for a goalie, I would just like him to wait out the shooter more.  Just like on breakaways, it seems like Price is ripe for picking.  Seems like he is always moving first, rather than letting the shooter move before him.  I know he will get better as the year goes on but just my observation to date.  If it wasn’t for Carey the game would’ve been way out of reach for the boys!

Shaker

69. mike g says:

Exactly, it’s all about keeping your head up…

No need to get all fired up and cry about 2 losses. I’d rather lose to CLB and beat BUF, than the other way around.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

70. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, but after those…

They did block us like mo’fo’s.

And our defense was caught not just napping, but in full-fledged comas on a few occasions.

Beh. Whatevs. Friday’s another game.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

71. mike g says:

We did pounce on them….

We had 3 scoring chances in the first 3 minutes.

We ran into a hot goaltender. It happens. Garon was spectacular last night, and the Jackets players blocked about 6,000 shots.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

72. Mattyleg says:

J’imagine that he put AK there to try to fire up G&G. Put some offense onto their line, not change the top line. Putting Cammi on there wouldn’t make sense. 3 underproducing people together don’t turn into 3 producers.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

73. Mattyleg says:

What I found bothersome about last night was that in the first period, the BJs looked like they were skating in molasses, and we didn’t pounce on them. We just scrambled around looking a bit disorganized.

In the second, (I think) I yelled at the tv when Pleks got caught with the high stick that the refs didn’t see, but then stopped myself because our PP is so damn poor.

Is that PP Perry Pearn’s department? (it would be fitting, now that I look at it…) Any chance of…oh, I don’t know… canning his sorry butt?!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

74. HabsoluteFan says:

Gomez and Gionta are frustrating to watch right now.  Cammalleri ain’t scoring either.  At the start of the year, we were all questionning Andrei K and Pouliot, was Price going to shine or was he going to be run out of town.  I believe those guys have shown positive signs (Price has been great, AK and Pouliot have had solid outings).

Last night, Martin moved AK on the wing with Gomez and Gionta. a move I didn’t really get.  AK has been more dangerous with Pleks this year than Cammalleri has been.  I’d like to see AK stick with Pleks and maybe put Eller or Pouliot on the other wing.  Move Cammy with Gomez and Gionta and let the money makers work things out (remember Kovalev-Koivu-Tanguay a few years ago…)

I know 2 losses in a row doesnt mean you have to change everything.  But it would be nice to see a bit more scoring.