Don’t panic!

First consecutive losses of the season.

Sports radio will be lively today.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

About last night …

Pierre Ladouceur’s analysis

1. HabsoluteFan says:

You have a point, but I remember those 3 having good chemistry last year and when Martin needed a goal, he often would send those 3 on the ice together.  I think Gionta needs a few markers to get going.  We all know the captain and Cammalleri will eventually put the puck in the net and get out of their slumps.  Maybe a few assists from Gomez on those goals would take some pressure off him and get him going also

2. shiram says:

Bench Markov, we lost everytime since he came back!!! Replace him with MAB and we win all games!!
    JM is not a good gm and stuff also…

bah, im kidding, couldnt watch the game last night, but it seems i didnt miss all too much.

3. SmartDog says:

Because you lack faith.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

4. SmartDog says:
    It
    might seem like blasphemy to break up the line of Kostitsyn, Plekanec
    and Cammalleri but, Martin noted: “If you look at the last three games,
    they haven’t done anything either.”
    So the Plekanec line is on a 3 game leash and the Gomez line is on a 15-20 game leash.  Makes total sense to seperate your two most successful scorers.   Why not move Cammalleri if someone had to move?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

5. joeybarrie says:

Our team is 7-4-1. We are tied for first in the East. Our biggest concern is playing great (Price).

Why am I so depressed?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

6. Bill H says:

It had to happen at some point, losing 2 in a row.  On a positive note, we are in first place in the division.  Neither Buffalo or Ottawa are going to roll over and play dead on the weekend, so the team will have to get its act together between now and Friday night.  A 4 point weekend would brighten my world.  I’ll settle for 3 points though.  Yup, 3 points and we are in good shape.  Come on now, we need some positive vibes.

For a humorous look at last night’s game, take a peek at JT’s blog.  Thanks for the chuckle JT!

7. HabFanSince72 says:

As if there wasn’t enough bad news, it looks like neither Leblanc nor Kristo are lighting up their respective leagues.

8. avatar_58 says:

If it’s Pearn I agree, if it’s Muller I suggest patience

9. jimmy shaker says:

Carey was our best player last night hands down….but just a piece of criticism towards him if I may.  He really seems to overplay the shooter last night, leaving the poke check as his last resort for a save.  It  worked once but not the second time.  I know moving east to west then having to back to the east is a tough spot for a goalie, I would just like him to wait out the shooter more.  Just like on breakaways, it seems like Price is ripe for picking.  Seems like he is always moving first, rather than letting the shooter move before him.  I know he will get better as the year goes on but just my observation to date.  If it wasn’t for Carey the game would’ve been way out of reach for the boys!

Shaker

10. mike g says:

Exactly, it’s all about keeping your head up…

No need to get all fired up and cry about 2 losses. I’d rather lose to CLB and beat BUF, than the other way around.

11. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, but after those…

They did block us like mo’fo’s.

And our defense was caught not just napping, but in full-fledged comas on a few occasions.

Beh. Whatevs. Friday’s another game.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. mike g says:

We did pounce on them….

We had 3 scoring chances in the first 3 minutes.

We ran into a hot goaltender. It happens. Garon was spectacular last night, and the Jackets players blocked about 6,000 shots.

13. pic1983 says:

Dont forget, Markov couldnt really work out much this summer, and missed all of training camp.  Its not like last year where he got injured the first game of the season.  Hes going to need some time to get going.

14. pic1983 says:

I wasn’t aware that theres a special buy-out clause for over 35 contracts.  I knew the team would still be on the hook even if the player retired, but I had no idea about the clause when it comes to buy-outs.

Thanks for the info!

15. Mattyleg says:

J’imagine that he put AK there to try to fire up G&G. Put some offense onto their line, not change the top line. Putting Cammi on there wouldn’t make sense. 3 underproducing people together don’t turn into 3 producers.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. Mattyleg says:

What I found bothersome about last night was that in the first period, the BJs looked like they were skating in molasses, and we didn’t pounce on them. We just scrambled around looking a bit disorganized.

In the second, (I think) I yelled at the tv when Pleks got caught with the high stick that the refs didn’t see, but then stopped myself because our PP is so damn poor.

Is that PP Perry Pearn’s department? (it would be fitting, now that I look at it…) Any chance of…oh, I don’t know… canning his sorry butt?!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

17. HabsoluteFan says:

Gomez and Gionta are frustrating to watch right now.  Cammalleri ain’t scoring either.  At the start of the year, we were all questionning Andrei K and Pouliot, was Price going to shine or was he going to be run out of town.  I believe those guys have shown positive signs (Price has been great, AK and Pouliot have had solid outings).

Last night, Martin moved AK on the wing with Gomez and Gionta. a move I didn’t really get.  AK has been more dangerous with Pleks this year than Cammalleri has been.  I’d like to see AK stick with Pleks and maybe put Eller or Pouliot on the other wing.  Move Cammy with Gomez and Gionta and let the money makers work things out (remember Kovalev-Koivu-Tanguay a few years ago…)

I know 2 losses in a row doesnt mean you have to change everything.  But it would be nice to see a bit more scoring.

18. Chuck says:

Holy Hell! I’m be making a pit stop on the way to Montreal!

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

19. Psycho29 says:

The closest one I believe is on the Trans Canada Highway (Hwy.40) in Pointe Claire….

They have 55 cans of Coors Lite for ~$55. It comes in a ‘cooler’ type box….Just add ice!

20. Bob Dobbs says:

Yeah hopefully #2.

Well the official habs forum is busted I can’t login… please could someone shed some light on my question, I don’t know where else to ask??

21. Psycho29 says:

She should stick to M & M’s……..They melt in your mouth, not in your…..

Oh never mind!!  :-)

22. ZepFan2 says:

The fact he was able to realise he and the team were “outworked”.

Nice of him to notice.

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

23. ZepFan2 says:

Something like that.

And he’d be telling the truth.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

24. ZepFan2 says:

Exactly, he seems like the only one that got it. Good on him.

Now if he and the rest of the team can take that and turn it the other way that would be really cool.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

25. Storm Man says:

I hope so, Btw high-five on staging a great event hope next years will be bigger. If Adam76 goes to the next one Im down.

And that’s only for Friday. What are you buying for Saturday Steve.

By the way I phoned the Mtl. Police to advise of our HIO decent on the downtown area again this year.

The only thing they asked, was to leave our guns outside of town. They have purchased new pillows for their cells.

Dates I am looking for are Nov.5th and 6th, 4 point weekend, to put us way out front of the other 29 teams in the league.

28. TommyB says:

Well since you’re asking…..ridiculous!  These guys are not children.  Markov is not in game shape just yet, give him a few more games.  And it could be that others are now looking to the general to lead the charge instead of working their tails off like they did before his return.  The loss to Florida could have been expected, 4 games in 6 nights being the reason.  Last night’s loss to Columbus, well, more of a surprise but not shocking.  I don’t get why Price always comes up.  Clearly this team’s problem (if there is one) is with goal scoring.  Hopefully, these things sort themselves out in short order.

29. Matthew says:

What would you expect him to say?

“To be honest their players are much more skilled and are just generally better at playing hockey then we are. Although I think we could beat them in the pre-game soccer ball warm up”

30. Storm Man says:

What part in unbelievable? that Hammer was honest or he was outworked?

31. Seps says:

You can’t be puting Eller in that same boat, he hasn’t been given a chance yet.  How is he supposed to be a top six forward when he’s playing with Darche, Halpern, Moen or Lappy?

“We’re not winning the Stanley Cup in the first exhibition game” – Carey Price

32. nunacanadien says:

I beg to differ, eventually we will hit the panic button, once the other teams get up to speed and start switching to second gear once the race to win a playoff spot begins in earnest around xmas.

When we hit the panic button, we’ll wonder why we did not trade Halak for better forwards who could score.  Or at least a defenseman to work with Gill.  Or at least a power play sniper, or anything at all, so far we got a bag of pucks from St.Louis and they got their life back thanks to Halak, and now they can be a proud hockey city.  Maybe its time we consider why we are hanging onto Gionta or why we even made him captain or Gomez why we pay these two so much money, for what?  So Gomez can make a large number of assists?

33. Bugs says:

Yeah, ok, everybody knows it.

But only The Hamr had the cojones to SAY it.

Respect.

34. Mark C says:

Spacek is signed to a 35+ contract, if Montreal buys him out they only reduce his cap number by $100K. Only two options for Spacek: 1) on the Habs roster, playing or in the press box, or 2) traded (not sure the details of his LNTC).

Sounds great Robert, see you Friday at the hotel or the Pub.!

36. ZepFan2 says:
    “To be honest, they outworked us,” said Hamrlik.”
    Unbelievable.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

37. HABSsince92 says:

So anybody might think the chemistry is off with Markov back…….

I
    know in interviews over the Summer Price and Markov said they “made up”
    but I;m wondering if there might still be some issues between them. The
    2 games with Markov have been a complete 180 from the first 10 without
    him. Just throwing this out there.

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

38. HABSsince92 says:

So anybody might think the chemistry is off with Markov back…….

I
    know in interviews over the Summer Price and Markov said they “made up”
    but I;m wondering if there might still be some issues between them. The
    2 games with Markov have been a complete 180 from the first 10 without
    him. Just throwing this out there.

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

39. punkster says:

Wasn’t a meteor show. It was Smart Dog re-entering the atmosphere after going ballistic during last night’s game.

40. Storm Man says:

Smarties work better.

41. shiram says:

Scoring goals would help, i think we might have won last night if our team scored a few goals.
    So thats my suggestion, our guys needs to score goals.

42. Clay4bc says:

So soon? That’s great news!

__________________________

Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
    — Bertrand Russell

43. avatar_58 says:

Mmmm? Sorry I was thinking about skittles…

44. pic1983 says:

Gotta give him some time.  He missed all of training camp, and couldnt really train all summer.  Its very different than last year where he actually trained all summer, was in training camp, and than got injured the first game of the season.

45. pic1983 says:

Depends on the limited no trade clause.  It can something like spacek has to give the habs a list of 10 teams hed be willing to be traded to at the start of the season, or it can something like Kaberle has where his no trade clause disappears for a short window in the summer if his team missed the playoffs.

Our best bet for spacek would be burrying him in the minors, or just buying him out at seasons end.  If my math is right, wed be on the hook for a roughly 1.3 million dollar cap hit for next year and the year after if we bought him out this summer.  He might pick up his play at some point this season and these points will become moot, but I think he’s playing so poorly right now that JM should actually sit him.

46. joeybarrie says:

HUH? I can’t hear what your saying Elisha, mostly cause I am not paying attention. I am thinking about purple skittles. SHE IS HOT. Who cares what she tweets?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

47. Storm Man says:

She need’s to get her head on straight and start tweeting about the going on’s with the 24 movie.

48. krob1000 says:

24 cups aren’t enough for 55 beer Steve…..

49. krob1000 says:

24 cups aren’t enough for 55 beer Steve…..

50. nick says:

Get in line!  LOL

51. mike g says:

Never happens here..

At least not since Headbanger33 was still running around here…

52. avatar_58 says:

I’m not so sure he’s interested in her mind. I mean I’d like to go skittle hunting with her if you know what I mean….

53. Storm Man says:

The Dates Im looking at are as follows…. November 13,16,18,20. I hope to enjoy myself at all 4 games at the Bell. I see the word panic and think this could manifest into herd behavior, Does this ever happen here on HIO?

54. showey47 says:

There is one off hwy 10,i think its called bridge street. I usually pick up a bunch of them for the baseball team when i go down there in the summer.

55. SmartDog says:

Don’t be so grumpy.  Everything will be fine as soon as Gomez and Gionta hit their strides in 30 or 40 games.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

56. mike g says:

That lady in your pic….

(f’kin Storm Man, always with the fancy ladies as his avatar)

57. mike g says:

Too much gap…

There’s just too much space between our forwards and defenseman. That’s what causes these odd-man rushes.

Ever notice when our wingers get the puck when exiting our zone, they have between 3-5 feet between them and the other teams defensemen? That’s called gap control. They don’t give our forwards any space or time to generate speed or create a play. So we have to dump it our turn it over.

Our gap is too big though. I often see us giving the other team even 10 feet of space in the neutral zone. That’s where they’ll generate speed and create plays, which force our defenseman to panic and sometimes fall, or pinch because they know the other teams players will burm right by them anyways.

Games are won and lost in the neutral zone. That’s why the Devils won for so many years, they clogged it up and didn’t allow other teams to gain speed or scoring chances.

When our small forwards aren’t given space and time to gain speed, were done.

There’s a solution. Our forwards have to drop deeper/lower into our zone in order to gain this space. That’s why Gomez flies by everyone. He starts from behind our net.

58. secretdragonfly says:

Hey Steve, not sure about the beer pricing but if you’re coming in on Highway 40 through the West Island, there’s a Costco in Pointe Claire (see link).  Better bring enough for everyone.

59. pic1983 says:

If you’re taking the 40 into montreal, than theres a costco on the westbound side of the 40 between the St-jean and sources exits.  Easiest way I guess would be to get off at Sources Blvd, and loop around back to the 40 west, stay on the service road, and it will be on your right a bit before st jean blvd.  That would be the easiest route to remember, im sure google maps would give you a more direct route.

60. showey47 says:

Despite being shutout twice we are still 5th in the league in 5 on 5 scoring which was a major issue last year, I will take this years problem with the PP over last years problem. Fixing a PP is easier then fixing 5 on 5 scoring. For example,a one trick pony like mab could help the PP in a big way but at the same time has no chance in hell of ever improving any teams 5 on 5. I agree there is no need to hit the panic button but i do feel its time to start dealing with the PP issues,the 2nd line and our 2nd defensive pairing. We got off to a good start with a strong first month of the season,but thats no reason to try not to improve in the required areas.

61. SmartDog says:

A little cheer-up for the day:

The Maple Leafs are officially in trouble. They lost 3-2 to the Ottawa Senators, their GM called some fans “a
    disgrace” for booing, and their captain — the object of such boos — is
    now out with a cut leg and doubtful for Wednesday’s game against the
    Washington Capitals.

And she may be hot, but Elisha Cuthbert (Dions hand-me-down GF) sure isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed…. she’s tweeting about his injury.  And here are some of her other recent tweets:

Found a purple Skittle down my cleavage. I think it’s been there since this afternoon. ….hmm

The
    question amongst my group of friends is = “What do guys REALLY prefer?
    Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads?” Honestly and truthfully.

A flying duck almost pooped on me but narrowly missed. Thanks Donald

Wow. Very, very talented.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Trade for Samsonov, Boom.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

63. habs365 says:

Here’s some of the habs problems why they’re losing. after 12 games those players have a grand production of 7 goals….Eller 0 goals,  Gionta 1 goal,  Gomez 1 goal, Lapierre 1 goal,  Moen 2 goals,  Pouliot 2 goals,  Pyatt 0 goals…we’re talking about 7 players here and you’re wondering why we’re starting to lose games and if you look at the rest of the forwards, we have pleks and ak46 that’s doing the scoring and what really makes me laugh we actually have fans out there that think this team is a contender, hey could be but they sure as hell not playing like it. we’ll see soon they’re starting to play against teams now that can score, keep you’re eye on the standings by the end of november they’re be a lot of disappointed fans, oh by the way I didn’t get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, just commenting on what I see….

64. Storm Man says:

What are you having for lunch today?

65. mike g says:

So, just to recap the morning on HIO…

1- We should trade or find a way to rid ourselves of the useless Markov

2- We must get the spectacular MAB to save our PP

…….

Alright, got it.

Anything else guys? Any other great suggestions?

66. Black Jacques Halak says:

Why the Habs aren;t winning.

Quite simple really.  For at least most of this season and part of last (except the playoffs but even then)

When there is an odd man O-zone rush, the support players peel off for a line change.  Last year the Habs were awful on the line changes.  This year is a bit better, but the issue still remains, the D plays back (Subb too) no one hits in the middle of the ice.  NO ONE.  the puck carriers on the other team don;t have a worry in the world.

THe Goal tending has been good to stellar, the D- has been inconsistent.  Allowing 40 shots one game. 18 the next.

I think a big reason there is no scoring.  No one in front of the net.  timing or something is off.  they are not cycling well. the PP has been god awful.  No offence in there whatsoever.  They need to re-establish what they had last year and not copy GB’s system.  Kirk You gotta stop trying to get different result by doing the same thing over and over again.

One on a O-zone rush, don;t make all the players change, send in two.  The other guys can change, if nothing comes of it you can change later.

On the D-Zone offensive attack.  Move it like you were in the Playoffs last year for starters,  don;t pass through the high slot blindly!

GO HABS GO

Sent from a friend: “Steve, If you have a Costco membership, and can find one in Quebec, you can
    also purchase beer there! I have been told you can purchase a case of 55 for $55.00.”

Is this true?  If so, where would I find a Costco that is easy to access coming from the Ontario border and heading toward Montreal?

68. Say Ash says:

Remember Gung Ho?

“Hey, nice ribbons.”

“THOSE ARE RIBBONS OF SHAME!”

“I’d wear ‘em on the inside if I was you.”

69. SeriousFan09 says:

I am 8-2-0 for the last 10 hockey games I attended in person Ian, Saturday is in the bag!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

3 points would be nice Bill.

71. SeriousFan09 says:

MTL: 14-20-3 w/o Markov last season, 25-13-7 after he returned.

Dragged a 5’9″ boat anchor around for half of the Washington series in the playoffs and helped upset the Capitals. Yeah, clearly not getting it done.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

72. Clay4bc says:

Willie Stargell stars started in 1979 – look it up – it’s a good example of what you’re talking about.

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

73. HabsoluteFan says:

It`s been 2 games man…seriously

74. Everlasting1 says:

The rumor is the vegan had a cravin’ for an authentic philly cheese steak hoagie. All other rumors are unsubstantiated.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin Don’t pollute the water.

75. Storm Man says:

Cough…. Read it again, I was saying you and Halak have won the same thing so far, Nothing. I understand when talking to you I have to look down as you are a little short. Foolish bites you again.

76. Bill J says:

Not my argument, but seeing as your labeling people “foolish”

perhaps you should take your own advice and re-read from the top.

seeing as Newfy-Dog made reference to MILLER (reigning Vezina winner) as the “so-called” best goaltender.

And ferpetessakes, get over yourself.

77. Bill J says:

So called best as in RYAN MILLER…. Come on man – keep up

Ya know the VEZINA winner… ??

“So called best” does NOT imply Brodeur Luongo or Halak.

78. Bugs says:

Ohhhh, so “so-called” means “Vézina-winner”, I see. That’s what “so-called” means.

Thanks, Bill.

79. Bugs says:

Never labeled anyone as foolish, Billy; labeled’m as “looking” foolish. Nuance.

And I understood just fine, Billy, thank you. I’M the one who brought up Halak as THE goalie playing better than the Kid, who himself is playing better than Miller. And OTHER “so-called best” goalies Brodeur and Luongo.

The child who follows me around everywhere thinking he is soothing his juvenile pride by calling me names on all of my posts for having demolished some previous argument of his with too much verve for his delicate ego is the one who turned the discussion into something it wasn’t, that of the tired-out “what has Halak won-nothing, just like you” spiel that you’re hitching your wagon to, Billy, and which has NOTHING to do with how good the Kid is playing now. That’s why I suggested he re-read the thread.

Furthermore, as a piece of friendly advice, when you use MY words against me in an “attempt” to be clever, all you do is flatter me by showing that you are well aware that MY words have more impact than whatever words you can come up with. Which is rhetorical surrender, I’m afraid. Shouldn’t use that device if I were you. Exposes your weakness. Use your own words. Be clever by yourself. Then, hit me.

But hey, whatever.

80. terrygain says:

Nope. The answer is still AK. He has the best shot and he sees the ice. It takes good balance to deliver good one-timers. Benny is better than last year, but you never know when he is going to fall down. He might deliver hard heavy shots but I doubt that even he would know where they are going.

81. TomNickle says:

Cammalleri might have a say in that best shot department, and the ability to get it through traffic.

82. Mikey_39 says:

If you look back at Cammalleri’s PP goals with Calgary, you’ll notice he was always set up around the right faceoof circle with a one-timer.  It was lethal and effective.  I don’t understand why we haven’t once tried this tactic.  If you recall, Markov used to set up Kovalev in the same way.  I would try that play out with Cammy on one line, and then Kostitsyn on a second line.  Markov and subban play the same role on the PP so they should each be on a different line.

And I’d also like to note how stupid it is having AK46 parked in front of the goalie.   He’s a shooter.  Pouliot should be in front of the net poppin in rebounds, not AK

83. terrygain says:

The lack of a meaningful  response to your suggestions  is a rare case of  unjustified politeness. Up to now.

Good grief. If you are trying to make Jacques Martin look like a genius you are doing a great job. To succeed we need two scoring lines and 2 checking lines.

You’ve created a mess.  Boyd on the second line! Cammy on the third line with Pyatt and Darche! Gionta  with Lapierre! Holy mackerel!

But your grouping of all left-handed shots on the first 3 lines and all right-handed shots on the  4th line is pure genius.

84. Storm Man says:

Bugsyboy….. You are so full of it, Start your own movement and eat some prunes. I have domolished you in you’re so called credibility in the NFL picks you make coming on here saying ” Look at me Im 10-3 this this week ect ect ect. I call you out and said please you’re 1-3 so far with the picks on here that you have posted and say man-up post the picks on here this coming week and I will do the same to see who is telling the truth, But as it goes with you off to the hole you go talking bullspit. You are very delusional if you think for one minute you know more about football over what I know. Waitaminnit Waitaminnit you play Xbox better, That is about all you could beat me at. Next time when it come’s to talking about football just shut your mouth.

85. Mark C says:

You are right the team needs to use Cammy off the half-wall like they did with Kovy. That play is set up with Markov’s cross ice passing, which needs an open lane, this lane come from the other teams respecting and defending against point shots from the right point.

The PP needs a right-side point shot that other teams must account for, without it, teams can more easily close down the cross ice passing lanes.

86. Bugs says:

This is so sad, I don’t even have the heart to laugh at it.

87. Bill J says:

I do not attempt to be more clever then you.

I simply AM!

slight nuance. ;)

Just because you don’t like it when someone throws the poop your dishing back in your face, does not make that person any less clever.  In fact some could say it was mighty clever to use your own words.

Too bad your so full of yourself that you still think your somehow better for it.

P.S. – I could care less how you look, or how you think you look in a debate.  I know what I see from you, and all I see is someone who is utterly full of himself, someone who thinks his rhetoric provides true intellectual value around here.

You seem to miss one key element, your like the court jester of Habs I/O… I invite you to think on that for a bit.

I am so looking forward to your The Zodiac and the Defence post.

89. Chuck says:

You obviously haven’t read his theory behind the line combinations, which makes your post look rather foolish.

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

90. Bugs says:

Uhhh, no, Billy, appropriating another’s word to make up for your own lack of literary creativity is a distinct LACK of cleverness, I’m afraid, no matter how you spin it. Defending this position only confirms your weakness, nothing more.

“Just because I don’t like…”? You don’t know what I like or don’t like. Basing any of your arguments on what you don’t know is another failure in the rhetorical department, Billy. Shouldn’t do so much of that if I were you.

Another piece of advice if you’re a mind to take it: when you want to rank someone’s cleverness out, or lack thereof in this case, make sure to SPELL correctly or you lose credibility. “YOU’RE so full of yourself” and “YOU’RE the court-jester”; not “your”.

Ok?

(chuckle)

91. samTHEman says:

How about:

Markov-Hamrlik

Subban-Picard

Gorges-Gill

92. Propwash says:

Testing…. Sorry if I screwed anything up…
    I’m trying to see if deleting my sig let’s me post without making the site go bonkers

93. Bill J says:

You’re going to love this one then:

“This is so sad, I don’t even have the heart to laugh at it.

Spuriously furious, I swear as”

chuckle indeed funny boy.

& to you – I am Bill.  If I wanted to be called Billy, that’s what my name would be here.

94. SeriousFan09 says:

Caps and Habs Blogger Steven Hindle with reports on Montreal’s Russian prospects/players in Russia.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

95. Jbird says:

That’s what I thought was going to happen last night.  Something needs to change.

96. VintageFan says:

Spacek, Gill and Hamrlik – with all of the years, games, bumps and bruises – what they are showing right now  may be the best they have to give.  They can’t turn back the odometer and play younger.  Just a thought!

97. Say Ash says:

Thanks for that article. The lack of scoring briefly had me yearning for Perezhogin’s return. But Boone says not to panic, so I won’t.

98. terrygain says:

There is a theory supporting that gibberish?  Where has it worked to spread your offensive players  across 4 lines?

99. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t think he’s ever coming back to NA and I don’t have high hopes on any of the remaining Russians over there aside from Emelin and that’s only because he could really help the team. I hope the team does take a chance, sign him and give him a roster spot.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

100. TripleX says:

We all witnessed how great they still can be in a series when they empty out the tanks.  But the regular season is a whole different game and is a long 82 game marathon.  No player can give 100% every shift for every single game, it all about pacing and lingering injuries.

You would think a veteran coach like JM would realize this and pace his older defenceman.  Does it not make sense to sit them every so often during the season so they can rest and rehabilitate?  We have two capable players in Picard and O’Byrne to slot in when needed.  I have never been impressed on how JM handles his bench.

Almost everyone realized Spacek should have sat last game and that Moen is not working with G&G, yet JM refuses to change course.

Apparently JM gave the whole team the day off today, hopefully the coaching staff is drawing up some new ideas.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

101. Bugs says:

Apologies if you’ve seen this, but Mike Brophy says Toranna is Loserville.

And a hint for the Hackel: THESE are the sorta leaf stories we wanna read about.

102. rocketsglare says:

No, let’s not panic, but changes should be made. I believe either Gill or Spacek should sit and

have O’Byrne play. At least he can skate and play physical D. November will see the Habs play

several physical teams and I think O’Byrne can help here.

I also believe that Gionta and Gomez should be split up because so far neither has played well

together and maybe being on different lines could get them both going as well as other’s going.

It may work and I may not, but there is no harm in finding out. Better now than later.

Hopefully, these are the only changes needed to get this team going because November will test

the resolve of this team and how this team responds will speak volumes about how much the club

has grown and developed. Playoff positioning is literally at stake.

103. SeriousFan09 says:

Gotta love Brophy, two weeks ago he was saying Kessel was a Hart Trophy candidate.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

104. Chuck says:

Odd question of the day: Would a player from the southern Unites States think twice about playing for the Blue jackets?

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

105. mike g says:

I think that was last week…

But yea, not the most stable journalist sitting on the fence.

106. JD_ says:

Might have missed one while I distracted myself at the foosball table in the back of the room – the FoosballOption typically kicks in when the Habs fall three goals behind in any given game and I’ve got to focus on it cuz I absolutely hate losin’ against m’boy – but cannot recall the Habs generatin’ even one odd-man rush last night, let alone a breakaway.

Wish I could say the same for the B-Jacks. Seems to me it was just one after the other. Speed kills, in particular when the older guys on the Habs D are playin’ like, well, old guys. Between Hab Kill and Sabotav Spacecake, I was just chokin’. Who was it last night who said Gill’s passin’ in the first was crisply tape-to-tape but, unfortunately, it was to the other team’s tape?

Don’t think Hammer’s been as bad as portrayed. He was even on the night and had three shots, even findin’ time to spend so much time around the Blue-J’s net, at one point in the third period, as to have me thinkin’ JM’s line-jugglin’ had gone epic. Moreover, his head’s above water for the season. After a sub-par playoffs, Rome’s almost back to the same form that had him coverin’ for Marky’s extended absence at the beginnin’ of last season.

Not even put off by Gill.

Sabotav is another story. Very inconsistent, with a heavy tendency towards the in vs the consistent. For a guy who is thick, he’s gettin’ manhandled off the puck with way too much ease. Were it not for the Habs’ more intense backcheck – absolutely stunned by how often I see a #46 jersey in and around the Habs’ net this season – his numbers would be much worse. Hammer’s as well, although Spacecake’s been more of the culprit, in my view.

Not even discussin’ the O effort here. And it’s too early to call for the pre-game red-carpet affair where the other G-G, Michaelle Jean, unceremoniously rips the C off Gionta’s jersey, glove-slaps him, and bestows it on OB in an effort to shame the team towards victory. Not goin’ there. Nah, I’m a Gionta fan. Just ribbin’ the dude.

But, like everyone else watchin’ a sputterin’, perimetered offence, patience can run thin.

Second-to-the-puck hockey all night. C’mon.

There were two positives last night. I thought Price excelled on some incredibly challengin’ Blu-Jay setups. On any night, most teams are not gonna see that many quality scorin’ chances. So, when the team’s goaltender comes through like that, it bodes well for your sense of his poise and concentration. The talent’s always been there, it’s just the head thing you want to feel confident about.

The other positive was the Loafs. Yeah, I know, schadenloafe ‘n’ all that. But it’s how I was brainwashed and ultimately hardwired. Doin’ the same to my kids. Another generation of shameless Loaf-bashers. All In The Family and I’m Archie Loaf-Thumper.

Phaneuf sux.

107. light_n_tasty says:

Last week he said on HockeyCentral that the Habs overpaid for Plekanec, who is a 2nd line centre at best.

108. SeriousFan09 says:

The Hockey News with a quick feature on Malcolm Subban, PK’s younger brother and a netminder in the OHL for the Belleville Bulls. Midget AAA Defencemen Jordan Subban is looking to be drafted into the OHL this year as well in the first round no less, PK and Malcolm were late-rounders. PG better hang on to some draft picks for their NHL years.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

109. light_n_tasty says:

The only problem with Markov-Hamrlik is that Hamrlik would be on the wrong side.  I think Gorges is the best pairing we have right now for Markov.

110. terrygain says:

I agree completely. It also did not make sense to sit Boyd for 5 consecutive games. But the coaching issues go beyond who plays. Martin tries to get the 2nd line going by breaking up our only productive line. He will do everything but give Pouliot a decent chance with G&G. The most pressing need is to get the PP working and that means  finding  a left handed shot to one-time Markov’s set ups. Martin has tried Cammy but Cammy’s  shot is not hard enough and he does not see the ice nearly as well as AK. We need better coaching

111. Chuck says:

JD_, you should collect all of these posts and publish ‘em. High quality stuff.

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

112. Bugs says:

Who cares who said what when?

I wanna read about the leafs sucking NOW.

113. JD_ says:

Thoughtful thing to say, Chuck. Thanks.

114. mike g says:

“I wanna read about the leafs sucking NOW”…

That’s a statement that has been, can, and will be correctly used, for a lifetime.

115. Bugs says:

“So called best”? Who?

Brodeur? Yes. Miller? Yes. Luongo? Yes. Halak?

116. GrimJim says:

I agree that the older d need regular rest. How this for a radical solution Markov-O’Byrne; PK-Picard, Gill-Gorges, Hammer-Spacek. Then set up a regular rotation like they do in baseball for pitchers. So the 1st game it’s M-OB, PK-P, G-G and H-S sits, then the 2nd game it’s M-OB, PK-P, H-S and G-G rests, then Pk-P rest and game 4 M-O’B rest, then they rotate through again. We keep proven pairings together and everyone gets a regular rest. On critical games the coaching staff can pick the pairs playing best and then reset the rotation going forward.

“What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline-plan wrapped helically around an axis?”

117. SeriousFan09 says:

Actually, I’d feel better about playing Miller than Lalime, aside from Brodeur  MTL can handle the Top goalies, it’s when we run into a French Canadian backup we’ve got trouble.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

118. Chuck says:

Besides, unlike Leaf fans, I get more satisfaction from wins by beating the other team’s best players.

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

119. JohnBellyful says:

I fear too much emotion and prejudice against certain players is interfering with the noble pursuit of HIO posters to advise the Habs on how they should run their team. I include myself in this natural impulse.

This kindly regard for the well-being of a national treasure is most evident in the multiple suggestions that have been put forward for line combinations.

Some posters, to bolster their arguments, resort to the use of statistics, which are but one step removed from lies, as we all know. I prefer to employ a much more sophisticated branch of science, numerology, which embraces “many systems, traditions or beliefs in a mystical or esoteric relationship between numbers and physical objects or living things” (thanks, Wikipedia).

The system I’ve chosen revolves around the number of letters in each player’s name. Tom Pyatt, for example, has the fewest, 8, among forwards while Michael Cammalleri has the most, 17. All told, Montreal’s 13 players up front total 153 letters. That makes the average length of each name 11.7 letters. Multiply by three to constitute one line and the number becomes 35.3. We’ll round that off to 35, much like they do with pi, to make it workable.

In order to have balanced scoring across four lines – and what team wouldn’t want that, particularly one without a superstar – each threesome, then, should total 35 letters. With that in mind here is your lineup for a winning Montreal team:

Tomas Plekanec – Benoit Pouliot – Lars Eller
    Scott Gomez – Andrei Kostitsyn – Dustin Boyd
    Tom Pyatt – Mike Cammalleri – Travis Moen
    Jeff Halpern – Brian Gionta – Maxim Lapierre

Mathieu Darche sits out, but will be ready to take the place of another 13-letter player – Pouliot, Lapierre, or, God forbid, Plekanec – should one of them falter.

Now some might reasonably protest that the system makes a hash of centres and wingers but I have faith it’s right on the number and would be willing to risk Jacques Martin’s reputation on it, should he try it.

Next post: The Zodiac and the Defence

120. Mark C says:

So the solution to resolving Montreal’s defensive woes is to have one of Markov and Subban sitting out every other game?

Brilliant!

121. Chuck says:

It certainly seems to make more sense than rolling dice.  :)

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

122. LA Loyalist says:

We’re going to “pace” ourselves out of the playoffs, and then go “oh crap” and the fault ball tossing will begin.

We need to roll 4 lines, and not burn out people with 25 min+ games.

If the people we have can’t do it, I’d rather lose with kids and have them gain the experience than lose with The Coaster(tm) nOmez, however large the contractual obligation thereto.

out.

123. Bugs says:

As long as it’s MY lifetime, that’s cool.

124. Bugs says:

I’m kinda disappointed your four 35-letter long lines aren’t the same length. That woulda been boss and really driven home your point.

Stupid non-symetrical typeface…

125. Bugs says:

Uhh, ok. I assume that retort makes some kind of reasonable sense on your planet.

Most unfortunate it makes none on Earth; I should’ve liked to have the proper bon mot for it.

126. jimmy shaker says:

You forgot Cam Ward (who is a top goalie in the NHL in my opinion), just like Brodeur, he has our number game in and game out!

Shaker

127. TripleX says:

I like those combinations and suggested pretty much the same lineup when Markov came back.  Pairing an offensive D with a stay at home partner makes total sense.  Don’t like the rotation part though, would rather just sit Hammer and Spacek and use them when needed.  Or replace Gorges and Gill with Gorges and Hammer.

Gorges and Gill is a brutal combination with a -2 last night and Gorges looking terrible trying to cover for Gill.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

128. samTHEman says:

Markov – Gorges

Subban – Picard

Hamrlik – O’Byrne

Sit Spacek and Gill for 1 game.

See how that works out.

129. joeybarrie says:

Darche played a team low last night of almost 10 minutes. PK played a team high of 23. Not a single player hit 25 minutes. Markov with 22 minutes and everyone else played a normal amount of time.

Gorges is our top player for ice time and he is at 22 minutes.

Not really sure where your going with this. The kids are getting plenty of time on the ice. Everyone on the team averages over 10 minutes per game, except Darche.

I also don’t know what this means “Coaster(tm) nOmez” But I can only assume you blame everything bad that happens to the Habs on Gomez. Similar to how people were blaming everything on Price. I guess the “fault ball tossing” has already begun, and you’ve thrown your guy under the bus.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

JD, it takes me a long time to read, but it is always good stuff,  as Chuck says.

131. habsforthecup says:

More than the rush – PK Subban – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXT6CO4dA44 . AWESOME.
    – A

132. Storm Man says:

What is all this NONSENSE Let’s take a look. Brodeur- Cup Winner-Check. Miller-Olympic-Medel-Check. Luongo-Olympic-Medel-Check…….. Halak has won what again?-Check. Wowsers…….. I swear bugsyboy he has won as much as you have.

133. jimmy shaker says:

Markov/Subban

Gorges/Gill

MAB/Dandenault

Hammer/Spacek (do anything but dress them in a habs uni)

Picard extra D-man

O’Byrne….give him a fresh start somewhere, he deserves it!

Shaker

134. shiram says:

that video is private, cannot watch

135. JohnBellyful says:

Sacre bleu! My bad. In transcribing my rough draft into the oh-so carefully calculated configurations that they are, I put Travis Moen in where Mathieu Darche belongs — according to this system of numerology. Here is the modified version, hyper-hyphenated to make the lines at least appear balanced.

Jacques, ignore that first post.

Tomas Plekanec —- Benoit Pouliot — Lars Eller
    Scott Gomez — Andrei Kostitsyn — Dustin Boyd
    Tom Pyatt – Mike Cammalleri —Mathieu Darche
    Jeff Halpern — Brian Gionta — Maxim Lapierre

Sorry, Travis, you have to ride the pine for awhile.

136. LA Loyalist says:

It would be interesting (but horrifying, I suspect) for a statistically inclined poster to parse our record over last 17 years against ex-Habs goalies/Quebec born goalies as compared to our overall record.

Or is ignorance bliss?

and on a happy note: if Nomez retired suddenly and we had $7 million or so beanies to spend, who would you guys spend it on? (and you can’t say beer, it has to be players — or ice girl outfits).

‘tagline pending’

137. LNev says:

On a semi-but barely- related note:

All this complaining about Chris Bosh saying he wants to be on Prime time tv etc…

Ummm doesn’t the Canadian media praise Hockey players for saying they always wanted to play where the sport matters, the fans, the exposure etc etc… then a BBall guy says basically the same thing and they get all “crappy player, bad attitude, quitter” on him.

If Rick Nash popped up in Toronto and said he wanted to play infront a full house on National TV, there wouldn’t be one bad thing said. “Heart of champ, the best want to play where it matters and so forth”.

/end rant.

138. mr.a. says:

i believe gill was on the ice for all 3 bluejacket goals.what a pathetic excuse for a defenceman. players were going around him with relative ease. the only reason he had a good playoff run was because the capitals and penguins were too dumb to realize that they shouldn’t have shot the puck right at the big turtle. they should have attempted to take advantage of his lack of speed. poor habs fans. you think you have a good defensive d in gill. i think not. watch closely next game. you’ll see how right i am. gill sucks! big time!

139. secretdragonfly says:

I think you might be onto something…..

140. Mark C says:

Since there are a lot of crazy ideas getting throw out by the HIO contingent today, I offer this: How about trying Benny Pouliot as the right point trigger man on the PP?

One of the historical (past 8 years or so) keys to Montreal’s PP has been a strong shooting left-handed player on the right point. Benny is left-handed (key for one-timers) and has a heavy shot. Subban is right-handed and is not much of a one-time threat playing on the right side with Markov on the left. Spacek has proven unable to handle this role. Lastly, maybe Picard should be given a chance as he is left-handed and as a good shot.

141. punkster says:

Apart for the reference to the ex-GG (the new one is Johnston) it’s a flawless analysis as usual ;)

142. Bugs says:

Ah! You see? Much better. Everything in its proper place now. Order. Method. You use the little gray cells, mon ami, yes?

143. habsforthecup says:

they apparently deleted it. ugh, it was cool. it was some nike thing.
    – A

144. habs365 says:

Maybe we shouldn’t panic yet it’s only early, but every time you lose 2 points puts you further down the standings. maybe we should try new line combinations. this may work

1st:  Kostitsyn,  Plekanec,  Gionta

2nd:  Cammalleri,  Gomez,  Halpern

3rd:  Pouliot,  Eller,  Laperierre

4th:  Moen,  Pyatt,  Boyd/Darche

anything is worth a try, at least you’d be seperating Gionta & Gomez maybe it would be better for the two of them, in all respect to JM if he doesn’t get the right line combinations, nothing is ever gonna get better, doing the same thing over and over never works. jm is geared on getting a left winger for Gomez it won’t matter whom he puts there Gomez and Gionta has to part ways and I think and I maybe wrong, the lines I’m Commenting on may work….

145. Bugs says:

Look at what happens when you don’t pay attention to the thread and focus directly on me with your incessant hysterics, Stormy.

You look foolish again.

Read from the top down, kid.

And grow up, ferpetessakes.

146. habs365 says:

The picture tells it all, one of the best. If the Habs had someone that could play like this guy they’d have no problem with goal scoring….

147. pic1983 says:

Thats a pretty good point actually haha never thought of it that way.

148. pic1983 says:

I think its the fact that Gomez and Gionta arent getting anything done, and our PP is abysmal.  I think those two things make it look way worse than it really is.  Those two factors were concerns when we were winning, and they are even further magnified after consecutive losses to non-playoff teams.  Hot goalies or not, good teams find ways to win.  Maybe were getting shots, but we arent exactly getting quality scoring chances, or making life hard on the opposing goalies.

But like many have said, come out of the weekend with at least 3 points and were right back on track.

149. mike g says:

I’ll agree with most of your reply, but…

We gotta stop with this old cliche talk. “Good teams find ways to win”.

If that saying was true, all good teams in the NHL would go 82-0 and never lose a game, because since they’re good they’d always find a way to win. Otherwise, naturally, they aren’t a good team.

So, I’m not attacking you, just venting a little about an overused cliche….

150. kirkiswork says:

You are really MAB aren’t you.

151. jimmy shaker says:

Sure a bit of a defensive liability, but so are Spacek and Hammer every time they’re on the ice.  So, I’d take MAB’s liabilities at a fraction of the cap space these two jabroni’s take up, and add his offensive skills, the shot fromt the point and the opening up just a bit more room on the PP for the other players to work with.  And besides bad penalties, no offensive help whatsoever, really no defensive help as well (at least MAB will take the body) why are we giving these bums a free ride?

SHaker

152. nunacanadien says:

Having Halak showed us what we are capable of, not having Halak shows us that we are lacking both in defense, but mostly offense, and most of all showing that Carey has a hard time against regular NHL teams.  This formula all but ensures that we will finish reasonably well if our defense continues to support Price, but at some point they will bust and we will have another year of an average Price who showed he was a flash in the pan in Hamilton and leading up, and that size was his barrier.  That is small pint sized forwards can score as easily as big sized forwards, but that our defense could not keep them away from shooting on Price.  For Price to be stellar he needs both a good offense and a good defense.  He had that in Hamilton.  Give Price a team with a good offense and a good defense and he can get you a cup.  Keep playing Price in Montreal and you have the repeat of last season, where Pricebots use statistics to show just how good Price is compared to Auld.

153. mike g says:

When Halak was traded, he took with him Gionta and Cammy’s goalscoring abilities.

Oh, and he also apparently took a doorknob from the Habs’ dressing room…

154. PrimeTime says:

Do you watch the games or just like to stir pot with nonsense? If this this your true perspective of the game last night or of the season so far, you have no clue what you are talking about. Have fun being an arse! Sad state that some people really have nothing better to do than wait for their next Gov’t cheque.

155. Mattyleg says:

What an absolutely confusing, nonsensical, self-contradictory, and ultimately pointless post.

Let me see if I got this straight:

Halak is better than Price — Losing Halak shows that we lack offense (?) — small forwards score as well as big ones — Price can’t play against NHL teams — We will finish reasonably well with Price — Price can win the Cup — Our defense will make Price look bad — our defense doesn’t stop our forwards from scoring on him (?!) — Price wasn’t good in Hamilton (he played 12 games there) —  Price played with a great team in Hamilton (no: 7-5 record) — — Price shouldn’t play in Montreal because people will compare him to Auld.

Pulitzer Prize!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

156. Psycho29 says:

Will you be attending the Summit this weekend? I heard Ian is looking for a keynote speaker for Hurleys…

157. Bugs says:

In my personal experience, I have noticed that more often than not, it’s the folks who are yelling out “Don’t panic!” that are panicking and not the folks being yelled at, so Boonie, if you could pull yourself together, I mean, for the sake of the kids on this site, you know, that would be cool.

Habs’ll pull it around and make it through. They always do. So take it easy, aw’ight?

A gentleman of your age and position, I’m a little surprised at your squawking to be quite frank. We look up to you to set the tone so act the part, please. C’mon, man.

158. TripleX says:

Stealing the last words of Captain Edward Smith, Mr. Boone?

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

See everyone at the hotel or Hurley’s Pub Friday.

Our train gets to Montreal at 11am

We will probably eat supper at the Pub before the game Friday.

Get there early. And don’t forget to bring your game tickets. Two people forgot them last year.

Raffle tickets go on sale at the pub and at the Baton Rouge rest.

Everyone is welcome.!!

Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog  for more Summit information

55 is only for Friday Steve. What are you buying for Saturday.

161. Mattyleg says:

Bring game tickets?

I was hoping to meet up and watch the game at Hurley’s Friday night.

Are you talking about Saturday for the ‘get there early’ thingy?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

162. jennifer1984 says:

A little off topic but not really,

So i was on the Hamilton Bulldogs page and I see they’re all taking part in Movember and you can actually go to the Movember website and donate to an individual player if you like.

I just thought that was a little interesting. So if anyone wants to donate and has no one to really donate to, give it to the ‘Dogs!

163. habs11s says:

It could be worse, Dion Phanuef could be our captain…

________________________________________________________________________________________________

164. mike g says:

Beware boys…

The troll’s are out in full force today.

The loss last night fed their hunger, and it looks like their strategy today is to suggest Halak wouldn’t have allowed a goal last night, and we woulda won that game 0-0 yesterday. How that make sense, Ihave no idea.

But anyways, be prepared and armed.

Mike G salutes you.

165. boneheadslanger33 says:

The troll’s are out in full force today.

Didn’t I see you posting here yesterday and the day before that?

166. homerbowen says:

Where was our $8M man last night? Once again he does a disappearing act for three periods. Gomez has to be at or very close to the top of the pile of ineffective, lazy, overpaid players in the NHL. Three small (and I mean really small) players on one team is at least one too many. While I know mangement won’t do it why not send Gomez to the Bulldogs for the balance of the year. There will be no Cup with a lazy Gomez on our team….get rid of him soon.

167. shiram says:

Hahahah… wow that was funny! Heh sending Gomez to the bulldogs….

168. mike g says:

That’s the best you can do?…

Wow, might not be so bad afterall…..

169. SeriousFan09 says:

Forget guns Ian, I would advise Hurleys to hide all their matchbooks and straws if Buffalo is a stinker.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

170. Chuck says:

And leave the police cars at home, too.  :)

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

171. Mattyleg says:

Ha!!

Though from what I’ve heard, there are plenty of knobs in St. Louis…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

172. HabFanSince72 says:

So how come the Habs don’t have a Marleau, a Kane, a Toews, or an Ovechkin?

173. Mattyleg says:

Totally with you on that. That ‘reward for sucking so bad you almost die’ drum is almost worn through from my banging on it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

174. pic1983 says:

Because they sucked and were able to draft them.  I just did the exercise for fun, not really to prove any points other than the fact that at least those teams are getting good production for the money they spent.

No one put a gun to bob gaineys head to acquire scott gomez.  He chose to do so, just like he chose to sign Gionta.  He could have easily chose not to make those moves, and keep the cap space for when real opportunity to use it came up.  However, Gainey never coveted cap space nor draft picks, something that most GM’s today are extremely reluctant to give up.

175. pic1983 says:

I did a little exercise just for fun.

*the stats used are from 2009-2010, and player points are grossed up to 82 games to account for injuries.

Gionta/Gomez/Cammalleri: 10 pts / million$ of cap space

Thornton/Heatley/Marleau: 11.94 pts / million$

Kane/Toews/Hossa: 13.09 pts / million$

Backstrom/Ovechkin/Semin: 14.37 pts / million$

Maybe other teams give a huge percentage of their cap to three players, but they’re getting significantly better ROI.  I ommitted tampa because stamkos is still on his entry level deal.

A surprising thing I found in this exercise is that if you gross up Gomez, Gionta and Cammys points from last season to 82 games, they 62/63/62 points respectively.

I didnt count pleks because even though he was our top performer last year, he wasn’t intended to be our top performer nor was he making a top salary on our team last year.

176. TomNickle says:

Anyone putting last night’s loss on Carey Price didn’t watch the game.

He was our best player and quite possibly the best player between both teams.

177. mike g says:

C’mon, Tom…

We all know who the real 3 stars were:

1- Halak

2- Gomez

3- Spacek

178. SLONCOLD says:

after the first 10 minutes montreal looked flat for the rest of the game with a few spurts and chances here or there. no sustained pressure… my concern is really on the powerplay. we need to see it improve beacauase although we have been scoring 5on5 the powerplay is something that can be a game breaker.

on another note i got to watch Nash play and i have to say even though i’m not his biggest fan, that was one heck of a shot and a great game by him yesterday; he was fun to watch.

179. OverseasFan says:

I totally agree. It’s pretty hard blaming your goalie when your offense don’t score one bloody goal. Even if Price got a shut-out — it would still only be a 0-0 tie.

Hopefully, we’ll be better our next game.

180. Storm Man says:

What star did Hammer get?

181. mike g says:

Hmmm…

He got one of those stickers of a sherriffs/rodeo star, put on his suit jacket.

Classy..

182. TomNickle says:

You know.   I’m convinced that we need to re-fill our #3 and #4 spots on defense.

Hamrlik and Spacek are god awful and unless we see a miraculous turnaround, things aren’t going to get better.  People will point to us not scoring and blame it on a lack of a physical forward but the truth is that we just can’t get the puck out of our end with those two on the ice.  Hell, we can’t even get puck possession with them on the ice.

183. mike g says:

Yea…

Everytime Hamr and Spaceman were on the ice, I had my hands covering my eyes..

184. Mark C says:

Yes, I think it is time to put one with Markov and the other with Subban. Hamrlik and Spacek both need to channel their inter Komisarek, by playing safe stay-at-home defense and let Markov and Subban handle the bulk of the puck movement and offensive responsibilities.

185. TomNickle says:

Nash is a great player and would be the best player on our team without question.

Don’t know why you don’t like him.  Low maintenance, works hard and does almost all of the little things right.

186. SLONCOLD says:

i think it’s due to me not watching him as much, i always considered him a one dimendional player but i got to see alot of his game yesterday and he was very impressive.

187. TomNickle says:

He’s fantastic.  Being wasted in Columbus, it’s a shame.

188. mike g says:

I think he was on cheap drugs when he re-signed with the Blue Jackets…

He woulda been the best UFA….

189. SeriousFan09 says:

Fearless Prediction: Nash will be CLB’s Iginla, less punchy but he’ll be the same guy for them, probably won’t taste a Cup Final and will finally grow tired of his talent being wasted, his only consolation being stacking up International Titles over the next 8 years.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

190. SLONCOLD says:

uhm power is fine in old mtl… is this some joke?

191. Natrous says:

I’m pretty sure nunacanadien is a automated program that takes snippets of past HIO posts and tries to assemble them in a relatively cohesive sentence (gramatically, not logically), so you can’t take the above seriously. I’ve seen MSN bots that do a better job of maintaining a coversation than nuna.

192. OverseasFan says:

Every time I see your picture, it makes me want to eat something really fattening. Just sayin’.

193. ZepFan2 says:

“it makes me want to eat something really fattening.”

Poutine has that affect.

;)

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

194. OverseasFan says:

You guys are so lucky you live in Canada. Where I live, I can only get crappy poutine made by people who have no idea what it is. Plus, there aren’t cheese curds out here.

Sigh. At least it’s helping me keep my girlish figure!

195. shiram says:

Quebec actually… we invented poutine!

The curds are so important too… grated cheese is the worst in poutine.

196. ZepFan2 says:

Yup, no cheese curds, no poutine.

At least you get to keep your girlish figure…

Must be an echo in here?!? lol

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

197. Chuck says:

You’d think that with all of the ex-Quebeckers out this way (Toronna) you wouldn’t have a tough time getting a properly-made poutine. You can’t find cheese curds here, either.

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

198. ZepFan2 says:

And last time I was there your, “smoked meat” was actually pastrami.

How hard is it to ship curds and smoked meat to T.O., seriously!?

Sad, really.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

199. shiram says:

Heh theres no place like Montreal i guess!

200. Chuck says:

I’m stocking up this weekend at the Summit and will be hauling cases of the stuff back across the border.  :)

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

201. HabsoluteFan says:

Habs have 1 goal in 2 games, that`s the power outage he`s talking about.  Good read tho!

202. Chuck says:

Chickens everywhere are doing a little dance.  :)

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

203. Clay4bc says:

But if nobody here panics, it takes half the fun out of HIO!

No worries though – there will be much panic.

As for me – i just hope we make the playoffs.

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

The Habs?  I don’t think you have to look any further than the fact that the team’s three prized UFAs have played like shite so far this year.  Cammy, Gionta and Gomez take up 35% of the team’s payroll and their measly offensive output is costing us games that we should be winning.  Especially against bottom feeders like Florida and Columbus.  There’s no use debating plays by Price and the D when the team has only scored once in 120 minutes of hockey.  We play Buffalo and Ottawa this weekend and it will be crucial to win these games against teams that will be competing with us for a playoff spot.  It should add an element of tension while we are all down in Montreal for the  Summit.  I trust that Hurley’s is well stocked with Harp lager.

The headmaster mentioned the issue of wages.  Some people on this site don’t like to talk about salary and the cap.  However, they must realize that the new NHL is in many ways all about the cap.  To ignore that fact is giving the cap savvy teams an advantage when it comes to managing a roster.  The three big ticket forwards are here long-term so that is just something we will all have to accept (in terms of finances).  The extra year for Hamrlik was a huge gamble that meant we had to wait another year before turning that coin into other assets that we really require right now.  The real worry just might be the extra year that Spacek has left.  He’s basically unmoveable and might well be our 7th Dman next season.  That’s a 3.85M pill that will be tough to swallow.

205. twocents says:

The cap is a reality, Steve. For every team, and nearly every team has some regretful cap hits. Spacek’s over 35 status does make it more worrisome than many. But, I am willing to bear in mind how effective he was for long stretches last season and especially during the playoffs, to be patient enough to let him get his game back together before getting too worked up. This time last year nearly every poster on here was saying the Gill signing was a huge mistake, now a good proportion want him signed beyond this year.

The point is, now ain’t 6 months from now, so I’ll hold off getting worked up for a while. He has been poor though.

206. HabFanSince72 says:

Every top team pays 1/3 of its cap or more to its top three (even the Bruins). Some teams are actually dishing out 38% (20-22M),in cap space to their top three (San Jose, Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh) –  compared to 30% for the Habs.

Tampa Bay is also paying 38% of its salary mass to its top three (their salary total is only 48M).

With the exception of San Jose, all those teams have one thing in common: they got high draft picks by sucking for a couple of years.

That’s the real issue here, not cap management. Bettman’s NHL rewards incompetence.

Some sobering thoughts about the Zach Parise injury.  If one of the top three Hab forwards were to ever go down due to a serious injury….

208. Clay4bc says:

…then we might only score one goal in 120 minutes of hockey?

Oh, wait… O_o

;)

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

We all know that Mike Boone likes his libations but this is ridiculous.  The Pittsburgh Penguins have taken the melted ice from the shuttered Mellon Arena, bottled it, and are selling it in a fancy liquor bottle for $40 a pop.  Cheers!

210. SeriousFan09 says:

That Don’t Panic should be in friendlier letters…

Team will lose on nights they don’t skate, which they didn’t. Annoying, a team that has to win on speed and skill has to stop waiting until the 3rd period to use it. Gionta has to got to end his slump, lead by example is not something he can pull off right now.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

211. mike g says:

G’morning….

Habs got cock-blocked last night.

Mathieu Garon was the grandmother that lives with that hot girl you wanna get with, and grandma was screaming for her bedtime meds.

Pretty hard to pitch a tent when one of the campers isn’t helping.

What you gonna do?….

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

We are still doing terrific for not scoring very many goals gang. !00% better than last year at this time, remember!!

30 teams in this league, and this morning we are 1 point out of 1st place in the league. Are you kidding me, panic! not at all.  Did some of you think we were going 82 and 0 this year.

Next game is Buffalo at Hurley’s Pub Friday night. See everyone there.

Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog for more SUMMIT information.

213. jimmy shaker says:

MAB, MAB, MAB, MAB…..the ink will soon be a hittin the paper on a 1 year contract with the habs.  And while there at it, send Hammer and Spatch to hamilton or waivers or trade ‘em for a bag of pucks.

Shaker

214. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, great! All our defensive woes will be gone with his acquisition!

…wait a second… (dawning horror)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

215. dh says:

2 years ago, PP sucked.  We picked up Schneider and things got better.  Then we dumped Scheider.  Last year, PP sucked then we picked up MAB and things got better.  Maybe we need a slapshot from the point?

216. kirkiswork says:

MAB = a couple of goals but a huge defensive liability. I would pass.

217. JohnBellyful says:

Okay, I’m not ready to panic, but a worrisome trend is emerging: Although the Canadiens sport a 7-4-1 record, none of their points has been earned against teams playing better than .500 at the time the teams met: Toronto, Tampa Bay and now Columbus (Toronto is included in this group in view of its success at the start the season, 4-0).
    Interestingly, in each of those three losses, the Habs gave up three goals to the victors. Their offence, on the other hand, steadily declined in those same three games: 2, 1, 0. That doesn’t bode well the next time the Canadiens play a plus-.500 team. Does that mean the score will be 3- -1? Or 4-0?

218. mike g says:

Too early to judge team by their records…

Wait for the 25-30 game mark, then you’ll get an idea of who’s a prentender and who will make the dance.

And as for our team, I find it very amusing that people are ready, or even thinking of panic. In years past, this team would have lost games 4, 5 or 6 to 1 or 2. That’s right, a game like last night would have been something like a 5-2 blowout. But instead, the game finished 3-0.

And let’s not forget in these famous back-to-back losses, we’ve outscored and outchanced the opposition. Say what you want about our lack of effort and urgency. In the end we played like dirt and looked like a bunch of effortless scraps, yet we still would’ve scored 2-3 goals if Garon wasn’t sniffing glue.

For as bad as we’ve played in our last 2 games, we would have won both if we didn’t run into 2 sizzling-hot goaltenders.

What you gonna do, it happens in an 82 game season…..

219. jimmy shaker says:

no not all our defensive woes…just two old, ever slowing vets who just like a life insurance policy are worth more dead/gone off the team than on the team/alive.  Bring in MAB, help the offense/PP, get Picard in there as well and use the cap space for something better than these two wastes of skin!

Shaker

Eric – I would reply to your post but I’ve noticed that you now agree with Krob on almost every aspect of the Habs.

I’ll wait for your sanity to return before I once again engage you in intelligent conversation:-)

221. pic1983 says:

Although i definitely agree with your logic, that doesnt mean that spacek shouldnt be “rested” (to be polite) in favor of picard or Obyrne at this time.