Don’t buy your QC season tickets just yet

• Nordiques renascent? Red Fisher is not on the bandwagon

• And in La Presse, Yves Boisvert has his doubts. Boisvert cites a New York Times story on the sad saga of Meadowlands Stadium

• Here we go again: PQ MNA links the Canadiens to dastardly federalism

• Has Pierre Gauthier heard about this? Vancouver GM Mike Gillis plans to use Twitter

• But Dan Ellis is off Twitter because of this debacle. Last night Elis Tweeted: “I am shutting down my twitter because in no way shape or form do I want to disrupt my team.”

• Our old friend J.T. has great analysis of the Jeff Halpern signing

• And Mathieu Darche is happy his former TB teammate is with the Canadiens

Josh Gorges skated in Brossard and talked to Marc Antoine Godin

Jaro meets and greets in St. Louis. Think it will draw 5,000 fans?

Sidney Crosby goes yard to the tune of 360 feet. Can Ovechkin do that?

Pierre LeBrun is back from vacay, says Lightning will make the playoffs

1. TorontoHabsFan says:

JT’s column got me thinking – who actually was the last really good defensive forward in Montreal? It would have to be after Carbonneau (a true great) left for Dallas.

I remember Juneau and Dackell being very good defensive forwards.

thoughts?

2. mike g says:

They better pull out the red carpet….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

3. Everlasting1 says:

We’re all slaves to banks, govts, and the unequal money system. Haven’t I taught you anything? :-P

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

4. mike g says:

Is admissions.com the only site where I can buy their tickets online?

I’m trying to buy tickets for that same game, Oct 10th, and it’s not even listed on admissions. Is the game already sold out?

Even then I’m sure the game would be listed, but with a “sold out” tag next to it or something….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

5. Everlasting1 says:

Do you know even know why terrorists do what they do? And no, it’s not about the 72 virgins. Stay out of the middle east and mind your own business. Problem solved.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

6. WarHero says:

If I lived in QC I would go. Unfortunately, I live in Ottawa so I’ll have to catch Louis when he plays against the Gautineau Olympiques and Tinordi when he plays against the 67′s

————————————————————————

7. B says:

I believe they bought the team for $15M and sold it for $103M after complaining they are loosing money and can’t make a go of it without massive government subsidies. Now they can’t build a new arena without massive subsidies (40% provincial, 40% federal, 10% municipal)? While it would be nice to see a team back there, if ownership can’t make it work on their own then unfortunately it should not be done.

8. Mr_MacDougall says:

Do up Halifax too… that would be a Huge potential market…

Halifax 450,000, seems small.. but consider this, how many people from all over NS,NB, NFLD, and PEI would go see games during the season?

population:

PEI 150,000

NB 750,000

NS 1.000.000

NFLD 500,000

total 2,400,000…. of course this is very optomistic as many NB folks could just as easily go see a Habs game.. interesding concept though.

Why not debate then? If you have valid points bring them forth.

I think it’s disrespectful that you assume that the debate would get heated and would rather not comment further because of it.  ;-)

10. Mr_MacDougall says:

I am responding to your post that an NHL team in Vegas would “make a ton of money”

I strongly disagree. The market is small at 600,000 desert dwellers that would be considered an “uniformed market.” In such a case the marketing dollar per person reached ratio increases tenfold compared to a traditional market. There would be a lack of a suitable areana is a major concern as well, Orleans areana has a hockey capacity of 9,500. As for the 2% gambling royalties, the NHL already has a deal with vegas for money earned off of NHL gambling (and even if they didn’t, it would be NHL money not individual franchise money)

So, a market of 600,000 people with no arena, fan base, cultural relevance with the sport, and a challenging marking situation couls not make money in my opinion. The main reason is the money involved, Arena $300,000,000.00 easy. Franchise 200,000,000.00 easy. So a half billion dollar investment to have a team in Vegas… I’;d feel much more secure investing my money in an NHL franchise in Halifax where the population is 450,000!!!!

11. habaddict_andy says:

Then it’s a win-win situation.

12. derfab says:

Halpern is a very good signing. No Habs team has won without a crafty, shut-down, third line centre (Roberts, Risebrough, Jarvis, Carboneau, Keane…) and Lapierre is not up to it the job.

Until the next group (Avstin, Kristo, Tinordi, Leblanc…) is more experienced, this leaves Pacioretty as the only kid with a real shot at taking a job.

For a young dude you know your shit. Do you study polisci?

14. Mike Boone says:

I’m thinking of going tomorrow night.

15. SmartDog says:

Hey Ian,

Can you tell me how the raffle will work this year?   I was just looking online for something to buy and donate.

Rob

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

16. Xtrahabsfan says:

Huh…that make’s you the TROLL!,LOL

17. Storm Man says:

Are you awake or still sleeping? Where does he say this?

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

18. habs-hampton says:

I hope it happens. It’s much more fun to watch our team play someone we despise!  (Boston, Leafs, etc). Much better than watching them play Columbus, Nashville or even Buffalo.

19. habs-hampton says:

On Oct. 10, I get to see the #2 Juniors and LL play the #1 Saint John Seadogs. I can’t wait!

20. mike g says:

Oh yea….

Nice blog by an Oilers writer, who states many reasons why everyone hates the Leafs.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

21. Everlasting1 says:

Agreed. China are the most powerful nation in every respect right now.

”We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

22. Storm Man says:

No you got that right…. The gift is the 8.5 billion in equalization payments.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

23. punkster says:

Propwash and I and a few others are looking to head down there in the coming weeks.

FREE TIMO!

24. Everlasting1 says:

Absolutely. When has any country ever threatened the U.S? They are the most invasive nation with horrible foreign policies that are self serving.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

25. Xtrahabsfan says:

So  Canada’s King Harper want’s to donate $200 million Canadian tax dollars to build an NHL   Arena in QC in order to get the French vote…

26. mike g says:

Nice..

Let me know when, maybe Mike G will pull a guest appearance.

Choose a nice game, like MTL-QC or something, no?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

27. mike g says:

Have you already been to a game?

And isn’t it too bad that their jerseys are so dull? If they had some nice, bright colors and a cool logo I’d buy one.

It’s just too plain.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

28. mike g says:

I’ll tell yopu this much…

I may only be 22 years old, but I do know that a team in Vegas would generate tons of money.

It wouldn’t be the best thing for hockey in general though, due to many facotrs; lack of a steady/homebased fanbase, proximity of gambling, etc…

But if the NHL was able to promote hockey as a show down there, and negotiate a deal that they take just 2% of gambling revenues associated with hockey in Vegas, the team would make tons of money.

But then we get into a whole debate about ethics, underage gambling, etc….So in the end, no team in Sin City.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

29. Everlasting1 says:

Since the Iraq war, oil prices have skyrocketed and the overburdened taxpayers are left with the mounting debt of the military occupation. Not to mention the heavy casualties. Well done.

WE will have order?? How tyrranical. You can’t even protect your own people nor secure your mexican border.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

30. andrewberkshire says:

I’ll definitely be seeing a few Juniors games this year!

Your lifestyle and freedom to rant on these pages is dependant on micro-chip sporting taxpayer supported soldiers. And banks (AKA social and monetary order) for that matter. Labour prodces all wealth but banking is to labour what a conductor is to a symphony orchestra. Without either, it’s all anarchy and cacophony.

32. mike g says:

Morning, my grumpy old friends…

Just a quick question here to start off this wonderful Thursday, a day that will most probably end up flying by like every other day on HIO….but anyways….

- How many of you guys will actually go out of your way and drive to Verdun in order to catch a Montreal Juniors game this year?

I know I will. I’ve never been to watch them play, and only last year was I able to follow them a little and listen to their broadcasts on the Team 990. I got the latest Hockey News issue, and they predict the Juniors to be the 2nd best team in the Q, and 6th best in all of Canada. Also, Leblanc will be playing there, so I gotta go watch.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

33. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Wow, you must miss Chenoys, the Dirty Bakery, Marathons and the Deesses!

34. derfab says:

As a young Habs fan and anglo Montrealer, I despised the Nordiques and what they were made to symbolize. So it was delightfully ironic when a seperatist premier and xenophope refused to help them build a much needed new arena and they split.

But I am older now and I see that Quebec city deserves a team more than most cities in the league (including Ottawa, by the way) who are also helped by subsidies and tax breaks of every sort.

While I still despise Quebec nationalism, I think Quebec city is a wonderful place that, given the chance, could outshine Vancouver (the friggin’ snow won’t melt!) and will certainly do a better job than some desert outhouse like Vegas.

That said, Winnipeg deserves a franchise as much.

35. Everlasting1 says:

Dude, americans need to get over themselves. Your ‘military power’ is only an illusion. You’re as vulnerable as any other nation. Britain, Germany, Russia, China, Japan, N.Korea, Pakistan, and Israel all have stockpiles of WMD. You went into Iraq cos you’re a power hungry nation, not for any humanitarian nor for pre-emptive security concerns.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

36. SLONCOLD says:

i believe the owners made a crap load of money selling the team as well. If QC can’t get a new arena with private money then they shouldn’t have a team. If a nhl team can generate soooo much money let some multi millionaire group come up with the financing for the the team/ arena.

It’s time for the rich french corporate world to step upand show they want a team not for the government to build an arena

37. Mr.Hazard says:

I didn’t realize Rolie was going to be Luongo’s new goalie-coach?

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

38. Natrous says:

Lack of corporate sponsorship was the driving factor, and the building needed some major renovations back then. Thing is, with a new building, only half of the problems that existed are solved…

39. REB says:

Fox NEWS is fair and balanced.  Fox COMMENTARY and TALK SHOWS are decidedly conservative and Republican oriented.

40. Everlasting1 says:

Whatever. Taxpayer supported military spending is the last thing we need to fight other nation’s wars. The only winners are the banksters who fund both sides. Nothing is more profitable than war, and lives are as cheap as ever. Have we not learned anything from our bloody past? Where does it end? Btw, get in line to be microchipped..they’ll replace your military dog tags.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

41. Chorske says:

Every time someone calls Pronger a douchebag, God creates a kitten.

Tampa Bay is the only team that makes sense. And yet I just can’t see it happening.

42. JD_ says:

Again, not goin’ to fault the guy, but everyone knows there’s chocolate inside a Smartie.

It may be a function of my past. I’m a sucker for pieces that ably combine solid empirical work with some well-informed speculation. Some writers do too much of either while others have a knack for strikin’ a thoughtful balance.

43. HabsFanInTampa says:

I had already left my hometown of Chomedey, Laval and moved to the USA when the Nordiques were relocated to Denver. That being said, I don’t remember the particulars on why they decided to leave Quebec City in the first place. Can someone please enlighten me as to why they left?

44. Natrous says:

Thompson’s his name, big media/print is his game – money galore. I hope for Winnipeg and Canada’s sake they get a team back again. Minnesota, Atlanta, Colorado got theirs back, and only one of those markets is hockey-oriented…

Thanks.

So many great guitarists on this planet. Prince really rips it on that tune for sure. Frig, what an all-star line-up cover band. Greatest Guitar Solo Ever? I beg to differ! But Prince is definitely an outstanding musical talent and a highly under-rated lead AKA solo guitarist.