Don’t buy your QC season tickets just yet

• Nordiques renascent? Red Fisher is not on the bandwagon

• And in La Presse, Yves Boisvert has his doubts. Boisvert cites a New York Times story on the sad saga of Meadowlands Stadium

• Here we go again: PQ MNA links the Canadiens to dastardly federalism

• Has Pierre Gauthier heard about this? Vancouver GM Mike Gillis plans to use Twitter

• But Dan Ellis is off Twitter because of this debacle. Last night Elis Tweeted: “I am shutting down my twitter because in no way shape or form do I want to disrupt my team.”

• Our old friend J.T. has great analysis of the Jeff Halpern signing

• And Mathieu Darche is happy his former TB teammate is with the Canadiens

Josh Gorges skated in Brossard and talked to Marc Antoine Godin

Jaro meets and greets in St. Louis. Think it will draw 5,000 fans?

Sidney Crosby goes yard to the tune of 360 feet. Can Ovechkin do that?

Pierre LeBrun is back from vacay, says Lightning will make the playoffs

1. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s not Watergate I grant you, but it’s decent journalism.

2. habaddict_andy says:

That is a big risk for someone who knows how to make money if that is true.  Why spend on everything and risk of losing money when you can share the cost with people.

3. HabFab says:

Pretty darn good…

Amusing because earlier had done a musical stroll with guitar hits.

Not a big Prince fan but wow! And the Kid looks just like his old man.

4. HabFanSince72 says:

Whether or not the Feds invest in the arena, such an investment would not represent a gift from the rest of Canada.

Possibly Jim, but I went to Tampa for Habs games and they made more money selling pop corn than tickets.

If they can attract a fan base this year, then maybe they can make it there, but I don’t think there are enough tourists to carry the day for them. Well see.!

How did you get that.! from I don’t think that the Feds are going to put in any bucks???

Dunno, but I am pretty good with FretboardMechanics.

8. JIMVINNY says:

You’re dreaming Ian.  Tampa just got new owners.  They aren’t the idiots that have been running that team into the ground for years, and there are several other teams with much less stable ownership that will end up moving long before they do.

9. Omit says:

It’s easy to deliver decisive blows when you are fresh off the sidelines.  We declared war on the Germans before the British did, and we are not Europeans. Mind you, we didn’t have the British monarchy with its ties to the Germans, so that probably explains that.

You did successfully rebel against them, but tell me the composition of your population back then. Mostly Brits, and to a lesser extent, Germans, if I’m not mistaken.

I’m not French, so I don’t understand the reference to 20 minutes.  And Canada was not a country then. It was a vast battleground for France and England to see which one would emerge triumphantly.  Since my heritage is Irish, it would be safe to assume that some of my descendants were involved simply because the British knew where to find good fighters.  That is, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Wars were different back then between these two countries.  England wins at Quebec city, therefore, the French must also surrender Montreal.  Strange.

10. Hagar says:

I’m kind of disappointed with Ellis deciding to shut down his twitter account. He should express his opinion, no matter how boneheaded. If it disrupts the team then so be it. I watched OTR all the time as a child earnestly believing in the professional athletes ability to tell it like it is. Now I’m being told that the team is more important. Bah!!! He should show some nuts. Like the kind he had when he was a Canadien.

11. BJT says:

I would argue, but it would probably get heated (as all political debates do) and I respect you as a poster too much to do that. So I won’t.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

12. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, it’s still the Silly Season hockey-wise. Gotta fill those column inches, though.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

13. Mattyleg says:

Great Halpern article from JT!

Good analysis of Halpern’s usefulness and how it’ll help Pleks.

The young players coming up will be needed to replace injuries that will, no doubt, happen, so they shouldn’t stress too much.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. HabFanSince72 says:

The Federal govt. funds all kinds of public works in all the provinces. I don’t support tax dollars for the NHL, but to suggest that Federal investment in Quebec is coming from the “rest of Canada” is inaccurate at best, and bordering on paranoid.

15. JD_ says:

TB would fit the bill very nicely and on so many levels, Ch.

Besides, Rome, one day, ‘n’ all that. I don’t want to use the actual expression cause Pronger used it last week while talkin’ about his off-season surgery and, well, he’s a douchebag.

16. HabFab says:

Since you’ll started a political discussion without me below…

When did Fox News get that rep or is that a Republican thing?

17. HabFab says:

TEE FREEMO!!!

Would that be similiar to our “fore” in golf??

18. The Capitalist Pig says:

Like FOX News, I try to be fair and balanced!

19. JD_ says:

I take it Fisher doesn’t trust Gary Bettman. Red’s piece had about as much meat as PG’s lunch.

I’ll give Boisvert credit for porin’ over the E&Y report, but anyone with a pen, back of an envelope, and five minutes to spare could poke holes in it big enough to drive a zamboni through. It’s obvious to anybody with a pulse that a QC arena is not viable without an NHL franchise.

C’mon. Statin’ the obvious isn’t a story, it’s just statin’ the obvious.

How ’bout some good ol’-fashioned triangulation?

20. The Capitalist Pig says:

That’s what I say! TEE FREEMO!!!

21. The Capitalist Pig says:

How are you at physics?

22. Mr.Hazard says:

Ellis doesn’t sound like the sharpest guy.

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

23. The Capitalist Pig says:

It’s not that I minimize your contributions, but let’s be real, you could never deliver the decisive blows in either of the world wars. As far as surpassing the Brits, we did, if I am correct, successfully rebel against them? I know that it would never have happened without the support of the French navy. But, your fate at their hands was decided on the Plains of Abraham in what, 20 minutes?

I believe Quebec will throw pubic bucks in the pot, but I can not see the rest of Canada supporting with their dollars.

25. Chorske says:

He must have been living under a rock last spring.

Him and the rest of the die-hards.

26. New says:

:-) the question is how do they get the fans back from Tampa and into cold seats in Quebec.

I don’t know Ian. Quebec City is expecting the other 90% of the Province to foot almost half the bill, and the other 33 million people in the Country to foot most the rest. I don’t know how that works, but if it does I want a couple as well. Still votes are votes, and it wouldn’t be the first time they were bought.  To me the issue is can the team be sustained by the market even if someone gives them a sweetheart deal on the barn and offices? Tight at under a million to immediately draw on. The facility will lose money, of that I have no doubt, but will the team make it heavily subsidized by the province?

Would be nice to see a Nords/Canadiens rivalry again.  Is Dale Hunter locked into the OHL:-)

27. Chorske says:

I say Hallelujah, let them do it. Let PKP buy Phoenix and move them to Quebec. It will be a HOOT. Phoenix is possibly one of the least Quebecois teams in the league. Watch as they trade away the core of the team that surprised everyone last year, and replace them with ageing francophone icons, and fourth round draft picks from the Q. Speaking of which, you think a maudit bloke du Saskatchewan would last five minutes as head coach in Quebec? PLease. Tippett would be out the door, probably replaced by Michel Bergeron, Mario Tremblay, and Yvan Ponton.

Whazzat? The Panthers? Also one of the least Quebecois teams in the league, with only Bernier, dats it, dats all. The only advantage I see is that the GM is already from Quebec, although after a successful career away from the province, I can’t imagine Noranda still feels like “home” to him.

Huh? The Thrashers? Right. Lets let ol cement hands Danick Paquette play at home. Wait- oh snap, he’s from Montreal. Any other Quebeckers? Nope.

The point being that those who are looking at this proposed Quebec team to be the Great Blue Hope will probably be very, very, désapointé.

Not really. I am of Hungarian decent on my dad’s side. WWI wiped out my family’s financial empire. I love borscht, goulash and kolbász. My mom’s French-Canadian. I wouldn’t have been born that’s all. ;-)

29. HabFab says:

“or men for that matter”

You are starting to worry me, first Chris’s speedo and now this.

“Not that there is anything wrong with that!!!”

30. Omit says:

Well, if he is dead, it sure wasn’t by your hands.  But, I think we would be told if he was.

Stop flattering yourself about eclipsing the British Empire. They passed the test of time.  You are beginners.

And thank you for winning the war all by yourselves.  I guess Canada and the other countries who fought much earlier had no input whatsoever in the outcome.  Typical Yankee mindset!

31. saskhabfan says:

The biggest misconception among trolls is that they can hide behind the anonymity of the internet. Back in march i his a run in with one of these trolls and it resulted in myself receiving a message through the contact part of my profile. It was pretty much a physical threat you know one of those “if i ever see you in person” kind of threats. Well 2 hours later i returned his email with a list of this trolls real name,address,phone number, and a discriptive satellite image of his residence. I then asked him if he still felt like making personal threats against me. Haven’t heard from him since,probably realized he bit way more off then he could chew so he changed his user name. In tony’s case,he makes it too easy. Its the equivilent of a 2 pce jigsaw puzzle

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

32. The Capitalist Pig says:

Dude, dude, dude, get real. We don’t enter WWI and you guys are still banging it out in places like the Somme with the Bosch. Hell, on Hockey Night in Canada, Don Cherry would still be honoring your glorious dead from The Great War on Hockey Night in Canada. And, without the US navy, do you really think that victory in the Pacific theatre was possible? Yea, Canada had a great navy when fur trappers ruled the waves in North America!

33. Number31 says:

If I remember correctly, the guy who wants to bring back the Jets is one of Canada’s richest persons (forgot his name) and would pay for everything from the arena upgrades to whatever else is needed. So how come Pelladeau or Laliberté can’t do the same?

QC is dreaming in technicolour if they think this will bring them the Olympics. The surgically enhanced Le Massif still isn’t tall enough to meet the downhill requirements. And a large wooden structure? That’s asking for trouble.

In the end it’ll be a mighty pretty and expensive building for a few concerts and the Ramparts to play in (if they even do get to use it).

About the only benefit for the Nordiques return would be to alleviate the media heat that surrounds our Habs. I remember the same bickering over the language of their best players once upon a time…

34. Radio Free Timo 2 says:

Yeah but we tied him up and threw him out the back of the van outside St. Albans. Persistent little bastard made his way back to St. Louis.

Back in the 70’s and especially in the 80’s the Habs were a symbol of federalism in the province. The Nordiques were the team of the separatists.

BTW here’s the CKAC article.

Have you been to Montreal? Who needs to partake in American women (or men for that matter) when you’re living in the city of beautiful people. Oh yeah, emaciated ugly old vegetarians. Nevermind!!!

37. Caballero says:

The politicians are just fishing for Quebec’s vote. Especially Jean Charest who is in trouble. Bettman is the one who ultimately has to give the ok, and what he said which Red points out in his article (he can’t even think about it before there is a viable arena there)  is really really not convincing and sounds like an enormous stall tactic to me. What do Bettman and the NHL have to gain by adding another team to this province? Bettman wants hockey to become a big business down in the States. That’s his agenda. I just don’t see him moving a team here any time soon.

Gimme a break. The US got into the European theatre while the Germans were already collapsing. Canada had soldiers their long before the US commited any troops. Granted once the American war machine got rolling it was a steam roll, but they got involved 3-5 years too late and after most of all the painful grunt work was already done. Canada had one of the largest navies at the time too.

Read the following:

39. The Capitalist Pig says:

He can live wherever he wants, but he must not partake of their women, or men for that matter!

Best turn out for our Fan Summit in 4 years. Lets make it the best Gainey Foundation Raffle also boys and girls.

From the best sports fans on the planet.! Make your comments and donations known on the Summit side page please.

————————————————————————————————————————–

WE ARE LOOKING FOR RAFFLE DONATIONS FOR THE GAINEY FOUNDATION FROM EVERYONE AGAIN THIS YEAR.

BOYS AND GIRLS. OUR 2010 SUMMIT RAFFLE DONATION IS A GREAT WAY FOR US TO GIVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY.

Please
    support our fund raiser Nov. 6th at 2:45 by bringing an item to raffle
    and by purchasing raffle tickets at the Baton Rouge pre game dinner for
    the Gainey Foundation. Please give generously from our special fan
    group.

Everyone is welcome to the dinner, just let me know on the Habs Inside Out Summit page if you are going so I can advise numbers.

Ian Cobb

The Gainey Foundation donates the bulk of its annual
    disbursements to Camp Kawartha near Lakefield Ontario.  It is an
    outdoor education centre that does very good work:

The Gainey Foundation is not a huge charity, having disbursements of
    only $97,000 last year.  You can see that from their annual return
    filed with CRA. You can go to this page and type in Gainey
    Foundation.  From there you can see their financial information:

41. The Capitalist Pig says:

How do you even know he’s alive? You got feelers out telling you about his whereabouts? And, you may be right about the British Empire. We eclipsed them long ago. Hell, truth be told, after the American Civil War we had a more formidable navy. And, you’d all be goose stepping, at least those of you who would pass muster under the Axis powers, if we didn’t get involved in WWII.

42. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s always been an alliance of French and English that won the Cups, but don’t tell that to the folks at La Presse or on L’Antichambre.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Hello Pierre Curzi. It’s the Montreal Canadiens not the Montreal Separatists.

Ths Habs have always been the team of Federalists in Quebec. Always will be.

44. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Who the hell cares where he lives?  It’s a free world Tony, he’s allowed to live wherever he likes.  Are you so disturbed that you think there is some law that dictates the GM of a team has to reside in that city?

I posted this back in June about Quebec City getting it’s team back in town. As soon as the new arena is confirmed, Montreal and Stevie Y and the Tampa Nordique will be going head to head in what will be the NHL’S best rivalry . click here–

Boucher Might End Up Coaching Quebec City In The NHL

46. Omit says:

C P

Some of you Americans are incredibly ignorant about what’s going on.

Bill Clinton called off a mission before 9/11 happened because there were innocent people around. I am talking about Tora Bora.  How can we have a discussion when you don’t have a clue?

And, please, don’t even compare yourselves to the British Empire.  It’s not even close.

47. The Capitalist Pig says:

‘Cause they would have been lynched here for no fault of their own. Hell, after Hitler, you can’t use the name Adolph in this country unless your name is Coors.

48. The Capitalist Pig says:

Either that or they will be so pissed they rebuild their Pacific fleet!

49. HabFab says:

“Their GM”

Shouldn’t that be our GM lives in Vermont.

Busted you tronnie troll!!!!!!!!!

50. The Capitalist Pig says:

No fair! I had a full mouth of ale when you posted that!

51. LA Loyalist says:

Guys! Guys! Here’s the solution: we give the Japanese free tickets to a Leafs game. They will never bother us again.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

52. LA Loyalist says:

you’ve nearly convinced me, but I can’t get my head around Dick Cheney being healthy enough to have personally planted the bombs in the two towers.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

53. The Capitalist Pig says:

Oil is a strategic resource. Oil is important. Oil is good. Strap it on and just get over it! BTW, the guy who called off the mission to nail that bastard was one of the gods of the liberals: Bill Clinton. Why do we have all those bases? Because we are the modern-day equivalent of the British Empire and we WILL have order.

54. LA Loyalist says:

they did? did I miss something? Damn, all this time on HIO and I’m missing what’s really going on.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

55. Danno says:

Osama Bin Laden is Saudi Arabian. After 9-11 you will recall all aircraft travel was grounded in the U.S. With one exception. The Bin Laden family, escorted by the FBI, was allowed to fly home to Saudi Arabia.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

56. Omit says:

Tony,

Neville Chamberlain was a CONSERVATIVE, not a leftist.

57. Omit says:

C P

Canada is there due to US pressure. The US is in that whole region for oil and pipelines, as usual.  Now you tell me why US had a shot at capturing Bin Laden, cancelled the mission, and then pulled out a lot of troops to invade Iraq shortly thereafter.  And why do you have bases in over 125 countries?

58. observer says:

why should they? japan attacked the usa first. thats why ww2 ended after 6 years. because the left did not have power to tie the military’s hands with such rubbish as “collateral damage” and disproportionate force.”  actually leftist chamberlain was in power so ww2 started after he had said “peace in our time” as he waved a worthless piece of paper.

59. The Capitalist Pig says:

Good on you! It’s an honorable profession. Most of these yahoos don’t realized that Canada and many other countries ended up in Afghanistan because of obligations under the NATO treaties. They fail to understand that if terrorists blew up Club Super Sex in Montreal and Canada went to war as a result, we would be obliged to seen men and materiel.

60. SeriousFan09 says:

North Korea is basically a protectorate of China, they’re not going to start any wars without a permission slip. Does China no interest to have any wars that involve the US, screws up the trade relationship they have that allows China to keep buying US debt while flooding their market with cheap goods.

Canada buying JSF fighters we don’t have a use for except enlarging bomb craters in Afghanistan is pointless. The Conservatives bent over backwards for a defence contractor and didn’t have an open-bidding process for a new fighter jet, it’s corrupt and it’s typical crap from a self-righteous government and egotistical PM.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

61. Danno says:

In a word, oil.

That is the geopolitical justification. There is no moral one.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

62. saskhabfan says:

Not really, what we saved in newspaper we lost in toilet paper to wipe up the crap you spew.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

63. observer says:

bin laden was based in afghanistan.

64. The Capitalist Pig says:

He’s been abducted by Radio Free Timo?

65. Storm Man says:

Nope Quebec get’s 8.5 billion.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

66. ZepFan2 says:

The horrorthe horror

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

67. The Capitalist Pig says:

Oh really? Then explain to me why the US forces and yours under the NATO treaty arrangement are engaged there? It sure as hell can’t be because it’s an appealing place to hang out with good restaurants!

68. saskhabfan says:

The leafs g.m. resides in boston. Where they are probably going to make him mayor when he hands the bruins another lottery pick next summer.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

69. observer says:

Gauthier is one sly fox.

70. observer says:

Remember when Deion Sanders wore a Nordiques sweater doing a SNL skit on NBC about 15-18 or so years ago?

71. BJT says:

If someone randomly punched you in the face and tried to kill you, would you hit them back as hard as you could?

And if you’re telling me that the Japanes wouldn’t have dropped a bomb on the US then you’re crazy. Something like that was bound to happen, and the States made sure it was them that won the war by doing that. And I’m pretty sure the amount of soldiers that would’ve been killed on both side or taken captive and tortured to death by the japanese afterwords would, even if not balance the scale, make the death toll stat not that bad.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

72. Omit says:

Frankly, that is one dumb remark about agreeing with Rumsfeld.  Afghanistan had nothing to do with 9/11.  Oh, and by the way, neither did Iraq.

The Bush Presidency was truly a dark era.

73. The Capitalist Pig says:

Did I miss something? We were at war with the Empire of Japan. Per your first paragraph, the American soldiers lives worth more, end of story. You are looking for an apology? You can’t be serious? For consistency, I hope you hold the same view on the Allied attack on Dresden.