Don’t buy your QC season tickets just yet

• Nordiques renascent? Red Fisher is not on the bandwagon

• And in La Presse, Yves Boisvert has his doubts. Boisvert cites a New York Times story on the sad saga of Meadowlands Stadium

• Here we go again: PQ MNA links the Canadiens to dastardly federalism

• Has Pierre Gauthier heard about this? Vancouver GM Mike Gillis plans to use Twitter

• But Dan Ellis is off Twitter because of this debacle. Last night Elis Tweeted: “I am shutting down my twitter because in no way shape or form do I want to disrupt my team.”

• Our old friend J.T. has great analysis of the Jeff Halpern signing

• And Mathieu Darche is happy his former TB teammate is with the Canadiens

Josh Gorges skated in Brossard and talked to Marc Antoine Godin

Jaro meets and greets in St. Louis. Think it will draw 5,000 fans?

Sidney Crosby goes yard to the tune of 360 feet. Can Ovechkin do that?

Pierre LeBrun is back from vacay, says Lightning will make the playoffs

1. Danno says:

Yes, I prefer our jobs and taxes remain in Canada too. By investing in education, health, public transit and roads the majority of the money remains here. Not so much with weapons and war-planes.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

2. HabFanSince72 says:

PG  certainly pays Canadian Federal income tax. He might be able to avoid Quebec tax however. He will certainly avoid Montreal property tax, but that is not necessarily lower in the US.

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Leafs and scoring punch… I have two nephews under the age of 5 who are more likely to knock away home runs with their wiffle bats.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. HabFanSince72 says:

We like to hold the Habs to a higher standard than that.

5. Mark C says:

Some high comedy here.

“MacArthur can add some scoring punch to a very thin top six forward group.” Top six scoring punch can be found in players who have never scored 20 goals in a season?

“Presuming they would trade Kaberle, the Leafs had earlier signed free agent to add defensive depth and fill what they expected would be a vacancy on the blueline.” Is this saying Burke wasted cap and roster space on Lebda because he didn’t trade Kaberle? Can you imagine if BG or PG signed some mediocre player as insurance, and then never needed that insurance?

6. Storm Man says:

MR MAGOO yes it is 10 mil per year in taxes. The building is worth 230 mil or more BTW.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

7. joeybarrie says:

Depends on where the fighter jets are built and how much of that 4 billion goes right BACK into the govt pockets…

The employees pay income tax, the part bought are taxed, and the company making the parts have their own tax. The company as a whole gets taxed, and HOPEFULLY we have a multi billion dollar company making deals for jobs and taxes to STAY IN CANADA…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

8. joeybarrie says:

UM HELLO MCFLY????? Mentioned in the FIRST LINE…..

Is it really 10 million on a building worth 81 million. Even higher than I originally thought.

Tax on the tickets it sells to Celine Dion… EVEN has tax on the ticket agent fee….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

9. observer says:

TSN on your favorite team to hate _ __—_——__-

10. Storm Man says:

Don’t forget get about the 10 mil in tax the Molson’s have to pay per year for the Molson centre.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

11. StevieRay says:

But will JM listen ?? time will tell ..!

12. Danno says:

Good points, however money spent on building an arena is a far, far better inverstment than fighting an endless war in Afghanistan or purchasing JSF fighter jets for $4 billion.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

You can tell who are the tax-payers and the ones living off of the taxpayers in this forum.

I’d love to know what Everlasting1 (formerly demigod) does for a living.

14. B says:

Woops, those percentages should have been 45%, 45% and 10%.

15. joeybarrie says:

When has the government worried about these things then???  Why do we still have more civil servants than the state of California in Quebec and 6 times LESS the population?

You can still use the taxes in the long run to set up these small and medium sized business’ and their profitability will probably be higher because of the larger stream of income and opportunity.

Why do people then not want to amalgomate into one island one city??? Is it because you want to have a larger control over whener the money goes, and in effect have more people working for the city, getting less done and lowering the tax pool for other programs?

Why are these small and medium sized business’ more important than the larger one that it will create? Including concessions, marketing, advertising, tourism, etc, etc…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

16. habaddict_andy says:

Good point Joey.  This is a clear case of jumping to conclusion, it happens to the best of us.  But considering the taxes it will generate afterwards, it is a good investment government wise.

Also could win some votes for Harper Government, couldn’t help.

17. pic1983 says:

Well technically, they should be paying closer to 50%.  I used 40% to account for taxation loopholes.  I definitely doubt that their taxation rate is lower than 35%.  They are salaried employees by legitimate companies.  There’s only so many deductions they can claim.

Hey but Lisette (nee Lapointe) Parizeau did buy a whole bunch of Nordiques merchandise!!!

19. joeybarrie says:

I know that there is a popular conception out there on millionaires paying a guy who can perform miracles and erase all the tax laws in the country. However, it is grossly over stated. There are limitations to any tax shelter you try to park your money in. Also remember that many of the tax shelters are fund where profits and interest go to the government anyways. Try to also remember that professional athletes pay a manager and an agent and a personal trainer, etc, etc… These guys pay taxes too… Then they pay the same taxes when they buy cars, and boats, and dinner, and drinks, and on and on and on…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

20. Malreg says:

I took Pittsburgh and the first trade I made was Staal, Goligoski and a draft pick for Cammy and Subban :p

21. WarHero says:

You mean Basu? If so, then yes, he sure did say the same things :)

22. SLONCOLD says:

Big picture you say? how about the big picture of not wanting to pay for an arena in QC with my tax dollars?

tons of small and medium size businesses could use the money for grow and development… Should the City buy the team too? where do we drop the line. Way more important things in our province to worry about than an arena in QC

Not according to observer/Tony. According to him PG is living it up in Vermont at the expense of the Canadian tax-payer.

Doesn’t matter. Both articles are ripped from HIO posts anyways. 😉

25. zozotheclown says:

I started yesterday and it updated, all I did was try one xbox live game and it auto updates your roster, everything seems perfect except we didn’t have Halpern, which makes sense because it just happened. All of Boyd, Bergeron, and Sergei were in the right places. They used to be bad with roster updates but they’ve done alot better recently.

My problem is that I started a “Be a Pro”, did well, went 2nd overall, and now I’m a Leaf…. What do I do lol?

26. joeybarrie says:

Either way, if the government was not going to use your 200 million in health and education to begin with, I guess your argument ended before you stated it.

My point is, using 200 million to create an EXTRA 100 million in taxes yearly is clearly a good investment. How much are the casinos raking in???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

27. SmartDog says:

JT’s article is pretty good sure…. but it seems like Batu pretty much said all the same things first no?

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

28. Rice Miller says:

Well if Burke was using the “P” word in reference to Komisarek, I’m guessing ‘pussy’

29. HabFanSince72 says:

The problem with that headline is no one ever says “expect an honest day’s work” about a talented player. It’s to hockey players what  “nice personality” is to matchmaking.

30. HabFanSince72 says:

By and large, if you earn income in Canada you pay tax in Canada, no matter where your primary residence is.

31. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I live an hour away but try and get a monthly fix at Marathons, but it’s been many moons since I’ve been to the “disease”.

32. avatar_58 says:

Yeah, Hall has this Bullwinkle look to him.

33. avatar_58 says:

Yeah but all that micromanagement doesn’t float my boat. I just want to play the games themselves.

34. G-Man says:

Do you actually believe that millionaires pay a 40% tax rate? Guess you have never heard of accountants and tax specialists that find every loophole there is to make sure you pay as close to zero as possible.

35. pic1983 says:

You should be able to do a manual roster adjustment before you start your season.

Are you talking about “season” or “be a gm” mode? Be a GM mode is cool because you can include draft picks for the next 5 seasons in your trades in NHL11.

36. G-Man says:

Somehow, all those rich corporations keep getting welfare and it’s fine? How about if THEY share the profit from a building THEY should have built to make money for themselves? No? quel surprise.

The government and taxpayers are always the net net losers when they have to pay for the building, tickets to events, etc.

The Big picture is the only things these BIG buildings generate are crappy part-time minimum wage jobs. It’s the building owner who reaps all the profits, which he would never give back to the sucker taxpayer who is stuck paying both ways.

In other words, build it with your money, Peladeau, not mine, thank you very much. Then, you can pay property taxes and be a good corporate citizen instead of a money-grabbing lump of….coal.

37. pic1983 says:

Thats true actually.  LEts use 40% of a $55 million cap.  Thats $22 million a year in additional income tax off players alone.  Not counting property taxes, not counting taxes generated from concessions, not counting taxes generated off the increased revenue of business’ around the venue… Also, if the government owns the building, obviously the primary tennant would have to pay a lease, so thats money going back to the government.

If the team is succesful, the government will get its share, but if the team isnt succesful, its going to be hard for the government to get their money back.

The only thing is, I dont know how the taxation works for players who’s permanent residences are outside of quebec, so I dont know if the above figure even makes sense.

38. arcosenate says:

That’s the oldest argument in the books. And it’s BS because that supposes that governments will put tax revenue into health and education. They are not compelled to and usually don’t. More than likely with this crowd they will become a corporate tax cut which has its benefits but certainly doesn’t create direct investment in the parts of society that really need the money.

That’s the bigger picture.

39. volcano62 says:

can’t you override trades in this game? in NHL2k11 you can….

40. Danno says:

Puerile putridity and suckulence?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

41. volcano62 says:

wow that is a great way at looking at things! the government is not as stupid as some people think.

42. LA Loyalist says:

But if Laps can learn from Halpern, that might be a plan. As you noted, derfab, we have a long tradition of strength in this area and it’s very important.

As p*ssed as I am at Bob Gainey the manager he was a fabulous defensive fwd and re-defined the position for the whole league and we owe him respect for that.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

43. Mattyleg says:

Lyle Odelein?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

44. joeybarrie says:

Molson Center is worth 81 million

Gate receipts was 45 million

Revenue last year was 90 million

I don’t even know how much in food, and such was made, BUT….. The federal and provincial government gets their taxes every year… How much in 20 years do you think another NHL franchise in Quebec will gain in usable taxes???

Then we can afford even MORE for education and healthcare. Not including the jobs it will open up in the city AND how much Quebec will gain from the higher tourism…

Lastly, how about the extra taxes on player salaries? Whats the federal tax rate on the salary cap???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

45. LA Loyalist says:

it actually might be a very smart persona to develop for someone who is going to be asked 2 million dumb questions over and over in his professional life. If expectations are very low for his public speaking his life will be easier and he can focus on hockey. Maybe he’s dumb like a fox.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

46. avatar_58 says:

Let’s say though – they update in Oct. A few trades are made Nov 1st. Do they update? No – they’ll wait to like December before even bothering. Why? I mean pardon my ignorance but to me it seems like it’s just a giant spreadsheet. They don’t update their photos, stats or anything else – just their teams. It can’t be that hard.

47. WarHero says:

Toss a late pick or 2 in the deal :)

48. WarHero says:

Yeah, Gionta all the way :)

49. LA Loyalist says:

I always wanted to wear “1-800-RENT-A-GOALIE” but it didn’t fit. I may do it yet, if so I’ll post pix.

As for G-love wearing #11, he better freaking bring this year. $538k a goal doesn’t cut it this year.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

50. LA Loyalist says:

No disrepect to Gionta, whom I admire greatly and brings it every shift, but that’s a bad choice of words. Thanks for the laugh.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

51. RGM says:

I seem to recall reading more than a couple of passing notes about him from various Montreal media types. He just doesn’t strike me as being too bright.
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

52. HabFab says:

That’s the one!!

53. HabFab says:

Reminds you of Spezza without the giggle…

54. HabFab says:

Mid life career change?

Love the writing, keep it up!

55. arcosenate says:

There better not be one red cent of federal money put into any arenas for the NHL in this country. If you can afford to have a team in your city you better be able to afford a rink. $200 million dollars is alot of investment in education and health care, that’s what we need not a hand out to an NHL franchise, which is what this is. There is no way to deny federal funding to any city looking to build a new arena if this is allowed. That is an expensive and slippery slope.

56. SeriousFan09 says:

EA’s very bad at this, games go “Gold” (the master disc is shipped to copying facilities 2 weeks or so before release) so it shouldn’t be hard to have the updated rosters from at least 3 weeks ago and already have an updated roster file ready for what happened since the game went Gold.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

57. adam76 says:

I have tickets for Montreal vs Halifax in October (In Halifax).

58. SeriousFan09 says:

AK not being good at his 2nd language (very common thing) is much more forgiveable than not being able to communicate well in your first (Hall).

Many people do not speak well in public or do not sound smart in public, but they can easily be some of the smartest people in the world.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

59. avatar_58 says:

I started season mode in NHL11 and the damned Kings wouldn’t trade me Halpern. Apparently ’23’ is a mid aged player they don’t need, whilst 22 is too young. 25-27 is too old as well. I’m not entirely sure what brand of crack that virtual GM uses but it sounds like good stuff

Dave, give me a shout when you go. I’m in!!!

61. avatar_58 says:

Yes but if *I* am not mistaken I paid a premium (like what, $70?) for this apparently ‘aaa’ title and it’s not even up to date. I just wish they updated on a regular basis instead of set points in the year.

62. adam76 says:

Problem is – folks would have an extremely hard time paying 150 bucks per ticket per game.  We simply don;t have the money (corporate or individual)  to support the NHL.

64. adam76 says:

Vegas has a rink in progress, also UNLV could hol;d 17,000 + for hockey.

You marketed the game correctly to the tourists – it can be a money maker.  The population is irreverent.

65. CERF says:

i was thinking the same thing.. if not mistaken the first roster update is in October when pretty much the rosters are set

i got drafted 1st on be a pro and i play for the Oliers =( gotta wait till i can ask for a trade or be a FA

66. mike g says:

Reason #129 why I stopped playing NHL video games….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

Habs fans can expect an honest day’s work from Jeff Halpern

About the captaincy:

“I think Brian is a pretty strong-willed person,” said Halpern. “He’s a great hockey player — people look up to him.”

When’s that, when they’re on their knees? Sorry about that I BORN A GIANT, I couldn’t resist. 😉

68. HabsFanInTampa says:

With all due respect Ian. But your post is contradictory. EVERYTIME the Habs are in town the Forum is sold out! Yes, the Bolts can, and did, attract a fan base. Just look at the attendance numbers up until 2007. The fans down here are fickle. If the product on the ice is subpar, they don’t attend. For example, the Buccaneers cleaned house and are a joke. For the first time since 1996, their games are going to be blacked out due to the stadium not selling out.

69. avatar_58 says:

Why exactly isn’t NHL11 shipped with updated rosters? What were they doing the last few months? Maybe it’s just me but I don’t quite understand the frequency of updates, it’s just a simple list isn’t it? There’s zero reason why the habs should still have Bergeron, Mara, Moore and Metropolit…..while also having Boyd, Eller and Auld.

In fact how does this make sense cap wise?

70. Propwash says:

I live in Verdun, so it’s a no-brainer for me. I’m definately going to catch a couple of games this year.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

71. StevieRay says:

Burke + Phaneuf = BS

72. B says:

Out of curiosity, why do you think A.Kostitsyn is not very smart?

73. StevieRay says:

..but # 11 to Gomez ….that’s right …Gomez ..the 8 mil $ man ….sooooo soon ..please …I’m gettin’ all worked up !!

74. Mark C says:

Already writing off a player based on his 19 and 20 year old NHL and AHL seasons?

75. mike g says:

On the numbers thing…

Many people don’t see it as a big issue, but in reality it kinda is. The number that a player wears can be influential in many ways. Marketing, player identification, etc… If Hall chose to wear #34, how popular would it be, and how good would it look on the jersey? Or what if he wore #78, 83, or 45? Still very boring. Now if he wore #91, 19, or 21, it would be way better for the look and marketing of the number.

When you think of #87, who comes to mind? Crosby, nobody else. If he woulda chosen #9 or #10, it wouldn’t be the same. The number he chose is associated only with himself, and not past HOF’ers or any other current players.

IMO, when you’re a 1st overall pick or an exceptional talent like Hall is touted out to be, you have to make your own legacy with the number you wear. Often when these great players retire, we associate future greats with their names.

Saku wore #11 here for over a decade. Now when G-love uses it this year, no doubt it will look wierd. Why do you think the Habs waited 1 year before allowing someone to wear it?

So IMO, a players number is very important.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.