Donald Fehr to head NHLPA?

We’ve got till 2012 to learn to like basketball.

•  •  •

John Ferguson died three years ago today.

Jimmy Murphy, of ESPN-Boston, Tweeted this link.

BZnTwmabOxA

1. yathehabsrule says:

Gauthier couldn’t sign the Old Spice guy, and after he doesn’t….

“Hello Pierre Gauthier. Look at me. I’m the player your team could have had.

Look down. What’s that? It’s the garbage contract you sent my agent in the off-season.

Back at me, what am I doing? I’m playing for the team Habs fans didn’t want me on.

What’s in your hand? It’s a stat sheet showing I’m leading in plus/minus while your team can’t score five on five.

Look up, what do you see? It’s the scoreboard counting down on your season.

Back to me, what am I doing? I’m raising the Stanley Cup with the team that offered me a long term contract.

Where are you? You’re on a boat that’s been cut loose by Geoff Molson for screwing up the team.

I’m in a parade.”

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

2. BJ says:

I remember this game well as I was there about 10 rows up. Fergy was my all-time favorite player. We became friends later and met in Europe at various tournaments where he was scouting and I was photographer. If we had 1 John Ferguson now he could make a huge difference towards a Stanley Cup. Before Ferguson was on the scene in Montreal we were losing in the playoffs due to intimidation, that quickly changed.

3. Muckbringer says:

im thinking they should get the “wonkie coin”

4. Muckbringer says:

its the red ones that make you small…

5. Muckbringer says:

touch em all joe!!!!!

6. Muckbringer says:

baseball is a mute example as we all know their cap is a joke

7. Muckbringer says:

thats my point, being the ones with all the heat and being the only ones, shouldnt they get what they earn as well?

8. The Capitalist Pig says:

Well, you can take a few of those little blue pills and reduce the average age of your body by 25 years!

9. The Capitalist Pig says:

To be fair, it’s not like teams are giving them wacky coin any more. Theodore and Huet appear to have cured them of that. I think given the financial success of the Habs, we’d be better off without a salary cap and would favor a luxury tax system. The late George Steinbrenner owns the Habs and you’re not looking back at 17 years of futility. George Gillette was nice, but The Boss would have brought home a few Cups.

10. Muckbringer says:

this fight makes me wanna be 50 yrs younger….so what now?

11. Muckbringer says:

also, any thoughts on the new pad rules next year?

12. Muckbringer says:

honestly im thinking goalies are becoming a 4th post and also what does everyone think about goalies being exempt from the cap?

13. Muckbringer says:

maybe if they brought back brett on a horse?

14. Muckbringer says:

“we wouldve gotten away with it too if it wasnt for those meddaling refs”

15. Muckbringer says:

blues would win only with the hand of god

16. The Capitalist Pig says:

Without the Plager brothers and Noel Picard protecting Halak, I’d go with the Habs.

17. The Capitalist Pig says:

PG should save some cap space for the Old Spice Guy. I have a feeling that he would work out a hell of a lot better than another Mr. Hockey from Minnesota!

18. Muckbringer says:

if, just if we face st louis in the final, who would win?

go…..

19. HabFab says:

After watching the video, don’t bring up that fight as I’m sure he doesn’t remember!

20. HabFab says:

There are three *’s so maybe “doinked” or Donald inked or ????? but “uc” not sure how it fits ;) uc??

FREE TIMO!

21. The Capitalist Pig says:

Well, there is an old saying, “If your ship sinks and you survive, just get another ship!”

22. HabFanSince72 says:

The ship has sunk.

23. The Capitalist Pig says:

Well, the good thing is that the French have two years to right the ship before Euro 2012 and four before the next World Cup. Hey, Thierry Henry signed with the locals down here! I bet he puts on a much better show for MLS fans than Beckham did!

24. yathehabsrule says:

Hmmm Nesterenko’s doing a signing in Toronto in November. Maybe I’ll ask if he ever felt he was miscast in the roll. LOL

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

25. Bugs says:

Have I got some treats for y’all!:

Euro 84 France vs Portugal.

Euro 84 France vs Spain.

Euro 00 France vs Italy.

World Cup 98 France vs Croatia.

And the pièce de résistance: World Cup 98 France vs Brazil.

Huh?! Who loves ya, baby? Bugs does, that’s who!

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

26. The Capitalist Pig says:

Ah, the days of the ritual dunking. I remember them well.

27. smiler2729 says:

Don Fehr… one of the tough SOB a-holes that ruined baseball, canceled a World Series and killed the Expos with union tactics (yeah, it takes two to tango, ol’ Brewer Bud is just as guilty).

The funny thing is as much as I love hockey, I survived the winter of 2004-05 no problem, it just reinforced that I love playing the game more than watching (and I play a lot of hockey, winter, summer, leagues, pickup skates, tourneys)… so if the league shuts down again, I won’t miss it as much as I should BUT the scary thing is these stoppages are becoming the norm to the younger fan(s). I’m 45, NHL? Whatever!

PS. I thought they settled this crap in ’05? The owners got their “cap” so what’s the sticking point now?? Then again, I don’t really care.

28. punkster says:

Dunked?

FREE TIMO!

29. sholi2000.com says:

Funniest thing I have read all day, thanks for the chuckle :)

They Call Me Shane

The writing, so to speak,  is on the wall.

I’m not a man who adapts well to change, but this media revolution has been coming for quite a long time now.  Mike Boone, our headmaster, is well positioned for the wave that is just around the corner.  He is the heart and soul of the site even though he also writes a city column for the paper.

I’ve been subscribing to The Toronto Star for over 40 years now. However, in my darkest moments, I think about going over to the internet version.  Same goes for my beloved Saturday Glove & Mail, the best read in tthe country.

31. cooper says:

There’s no need to have a Simon Gagne on the Canadiens.  If they
    wanted another french Canadian who’s softer than butter then they may as
    well have kept Tanguay, or Latendresse.

There’s a reason the Habs are drafting outside of the Quebec province, and I for one like it.

nhl picks and live hockey odds from coopers sports.

32. Harani says:

Josh Harding is the backup to Niklas Backstrom. So, I don’t think his signing is relevant is that of Price’s.

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

33. Hockey Socks says:

Josh Harding gets $1.2 million from Minnesota. Should set some kind of standard for Price signing.

34. darcy1 says:

no they couldn’t have…. the same reason Jaro wasn’t traded for a top 6 forward: we don’t have the cap space

35. sholi2000.com says:

There’s no need to have a Simon Gagne on the Canadiens.  If they wanted another french Canadian who’s softer than butter then they may as well have kept Tanguay, or Latendresse.

They Call Me Shane

36. Sportfan says:

UGH I dont want another lockout that sucked the last time i love hokcey so much hell im bored now with the lack of it honestly

37. yathehabsrule says:

Love that vid of Fergie laying out Nesterenko. I had it in a piece on the ’65 Final as well.

The Old Spice Guy answers the Chicago Blackhawks on what he would do with the Stanley Cup for a day.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

38. Aybara says:

SG for Price? Excuse the net lingo but GTFO!

** My bad, meant to respond to the post you responded to.**

39. The Capitalist Pig says:

Youngblood would have been nominated for an Oscar had John Ferguson been cast as Rob Lowe’s father instead of Eric Nesterenko!

40. HabFanSince72 says:

So I guess Fehr is a big reason we don’t have the Expos.

Expect to get d***ked again.

41. TornApart says:

Should Price be paid more? Or less? I’m kind of torn on this one…

42. LizardKing1967 says:

WHAT???  When is the Gazette doing this? Where did you hear/see this?

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

43. Mark C says:

In honor of Steinbrenner, Donald Fehr is as Steinbrenner’s friend Richard Nixon would say a real nut cutter.

44. Aybara says:

mm good point he uses “neither.” Gainey most definitely won some silverware. Even I know that as a youngin. “What did you do for me yesterday,” is in full effect!

45. Aybara says:

That is a real shame. I live in Toronto, but spent a couple years up in Montreal for school. The one thing I could count on if it was a lazy sunday morning was the epic Gazette sports section. The Gazette is a half-decent newspaper and to see a good sports section out of them was incredible – especially since it focused mostly on the habs. The main national paper, the Globe, has a pitiful sports section with one article at most devoted to Les Canadiens. In Toronto we have the Star which puts out an okay Sunday sports with a pitiful amount of information on the best team of the past century. The Sun, all leafs, maybe a 2 inch column on Montreal.

It seems that we are losing the last great bastion of english Canadian literature, devoted to the Habs, succumbing to the internet age.

46. longtimehabsfan says:

Great.  We can all bank on a strike or lockout.

47. toinz says:

I just heard about the Online-only Sunday Gazette

Sports is a pretty importnt section in Sunday’s paper, and with a game almost every saturday night, how will our hockey coverage change? Is Habs/InsideOut going to be the Sunday Gazette’s de facto sports section during the NHL season?

48. Aybara says:

Grouchy ogre

49. mike g says:

Simon Gagne was given permission to talk to other NHL teams, in order to have him dealt to a team of his choice due to his NTC…

Judging by the picture in the RDS article, he seems thrilled…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

50. wall2bay says:

Fehr was a main reason for the demise of the Expos and the emergence of big spending teams like the Yanks and Sox. And as much as I loved the Expos and hated Fehr, I think he might actually be good for the Habs.

Simply put, the Habs are not the Expos of baseball rather we are more like the Yanks or Red Sox.

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

51. Aybara says:

I’m assuming he (the quote?) is speaking of Fehr. Although I have no idea who he is or any history regarding him.

52. STZA says:

Beckham is a marketing machine, raking in cash money not only for LA, but also for other cities where he plays as a visitor. Not to mention, nobody can bend it like Beckham…

53. Keith says:

I fear Fehr. He will ruin the NHL, but Buttman may have met his match if he gets control of the NHLPA. Could be very interesting in 2012.

54. pierre lapuck says:

I’m not sure I understand the reference to basketball.  Is this a strike in 2012 prediction?  Because I don’t see Don Fehr as a mercenary hired gun type but more of an organzational guy who understands sports, atheletes, owners, and agents and this group needs that.  The NHLPA is fractioned, composed of bitterly oppositional groups, has in plain view of all ignored their own charter, had secret cabals within their own management; no the NHLPA needs Don Fehr.  Whatever they pay him to take this group of players and move them towrds a meaningful relationship with owners and agents will be cheap in the long run.

55. J.T. says:

Learn to like basketball?  Didn’t we already have to do that after Bruce McNall hired Bettman?

56. Aybara says:

And he says this right after the James fiasco.. Jeeez!

57. Harani says:

RDS reports that Habs have signed David Desharnais to remain with the Canadiens. He had 27 goals and 51 assists in 60 games. I say it’s good to stack up on talent when you see one.

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

58. Aybara says:

Not a bad total at all. Did he lead the Dogs last year?

59. SeriousFan09 says:

Good move for the Bulldogs, but Desharnais will likely be traded by the Canadiens than put on their roster, too many small players already.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

60. Aybara says:

Priority numero uno

61. davecessna says:

Allow ESPN 1 hour specials about free agent signings?

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Led them and set a team record for points in a season while missing a chunk of the season no less.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

63. Aybara says:

I’ve never watched him play other than the odd Habs game if I recall… Maybe pre-season. Do you think his skill would hold water in the bigs?

64. SeriousFan09 says:

Speed, hands and stick skills seem what they need to be, he can be pretty slick in the O-zone when he likes but his size holds him back from being a Hab, I suspect he would be moved in a trade for an organization looking for scoring forward and size isn’t an issue.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

65. Aybara says:

Shoot, just looked him up on Wiki. 5’6″ is quite the munchling. Hell though, if he’s got the work ethic of Gionta, he can make it in the bigs any day.

66. DavidKB says:

Okay, I know, on one level, the league is the owners, but I find it hard to believe that an owner of any financially successful team would accept or allow a decision that would see increasing amounts of their money go to another team. I understanding that there is revenue sharing, but…  I guess, however, there is always a chance I’m being naive.

67. SeriousFan09 says:

Oh good, contentious relationship between PA and NHL can surely mean we’ll not have to worry about any work stoppages.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

68. derfab says:

Gotta keep up with the gangstas.

character is derfab destiny.

69. davecessna says:

Maybe they want to try to pull an Expos on the Canadiens.