Don Cherry likes new-look Habs; Bulldogs improve to 2-0

Cherry_001web

Don Cherry believes the Habs are on the rebound.

“As long as they’ve got Price and Markov going,” Cherry told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs of goaltender Carey Price and defenceman Andrei Markov, “you’ve got two of the best in the league.”

And Cherry believes that Markov is the key to the Habs’ success if and when the lockout ends.

“He’s the guy, the key,” Cherry said of the Russian rearguard. “If you look at when (Chris) Pronger was with Philly, well, Markov is the stud you’ve got to have back there.”

You can read Stubbs’s column on Cherry by clicking here. You can also read an earlier Q&A feature Stubbs did with Cherry focusing on the NHL lockout by clicking here.

Gazette sports editor Stu Cowan wrote a column on a new book by Todd Denault about the 1992-93 season - the last year the Canadiens won the Stanley Cup – titled A Season In Time: Super Mario, Killer, St. Patrick, the Great One, and the Unforgettable 1992-93 NHL Season. You can read it by clicking here. You can read why Jacques Demers was Denault’s favourite interview while researching the book by clicking here.

The AHL Bulldogs improved to 2-0 Friday night with a victory over the Toronto Marlies in their sold-out home opener in Hamilton. Read about that by clicking here. The Bulldogs and Marlies meet again Saturday at 7 p.m. in Toronto. You can watch the game on RSONE and TVA Sports and listen to it on TSN Radio 690.

There was action at the Bell Centre Friday night – and a sellout crowd – as the Toronto Raptors beat the New York Knicks in an NBA preseason game. The Gazette’s Pat Hickey thinks the NHL could learn a lesson about labour talks from the NBA. Read his column by clicking here

And you can read about Luc Robitaille bringing the Stanley Cup back home to his mother, who is fighting cancer, in Saint-Norbert, Que., by clicking here.

(Photo by Pat McGrath/Postmedia News)

1. dschartrand says:

Does anybody still care what Don Cherry thinks about anything?

papi

I don’t know man. I watched about 10 minutes of that game and AHL hockey is bad. NHL hockey is also mostly crappy but that was particularly bad.

Don’t see this as replacement.

Big Bang Theory looks like a good replacement though.

3. commandant says:

I see people are over re-acting to the Bulldogs game tonight.

This is a young team with a ton of rookies. Even though these rookies are talented, they are still that… rookies in a professional league.

Even in a regular year, the current team would be in tough to make the playoffs. In this season with a lot of NHL talent in the AHL (and the Dogs not having any of that). The team will probably not make it.

They are gonna have some good games, but a lot of inconsistent performances.

The important thing is that guys like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Lebalnc, Gallagher, Bournival, Ellis, etc…. are better in March than they are today.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

4. Mavid says:

well at least I got a bit of a hockey fix…

5. Haborama says:

Komarov’s gunna get his head taken off

He is a TERRIBLE fighter, got his clock cleaned pretty good several times in the KHL, I do hope that the Dogs take advantage of it.

6. Mavid says:

one of many names these goofs have screwed up..

7. Izzy says:

watching the bulldogs game and I have a question….what IS a Sahn Denis ?

After Emelin hits you, you get coloring books for christmas……

8. frontenac1 says:

Pussies! The bald guy better be kicking arse in the dressing room.

Yikes, just turned on Hamilton Calgary CFL game, what the heck! Snow everywhere! Hope that doesn’t screw up my tee time tomorrow morning.

10. Haborama says:

Tinordi is marshmallow soft, I’ve seen Semin hit harder, what a disgrace, we really should trade him!

11. Kooch7800 says:

bad ref’s in the ahl. They must be trying out for the NHL.

This bulldogs team is young and will take a bit to adjust to the pro game. You could see it in their win last night. Give them 20 games and they will be a strong team

Tonight is real good example of where a young team who gets down early has difficulty competing. Last night their goalie kept them in a game when they made mistakes. I am not blaming Delmas, but this team will have ups and downs. Having Cedric healthy will mean a great deal to this team.

• Habsolutely says:

I wouldn’t blame Delmas or Mayer. The team just didn’t look sharp in the first. Lots of defensive misses. Understandable considering what a young team they are.

I agree bud, this is an extremely young Defence group. My only point was last night a very hot Mayer bailed the team out early and eventually confidence throughout the team was gained. Tonight every mistake cost them. The Marlies have a very veteran team and will be a high finishing AHL team this year.

A good lesson tonight for the team.

• Habsolutely says:

Yup, I missed the game last night, but heard Mayer was hot. I think I heard MB say they are the second youngest team in the league. So we have to be patient and accept the growing pains, unfortunately some fans want it all right now and just don’t have the patience for a young team.

• Kooch7800 says:

Mayer played a heck of a game last night. He was on fire. D is a tough position to jump and the majority of the dogs d are really young (not to mention the forwards). They will be good I have no doubt but there will be a few blowouts this year I think

• showey47 says:

I think it will take more then 20 games,i would be thinking about 1 season. Half the current roster played either junior hockey or ncaa last year,its going to take more then 20 games to get that many rookies to learn the pro game,especially the defencemen. The dogs should be fun to watch with all the potential with the youth,but i do expect more then a few nights like the one we are seeing tonight.

12. Ron says:

Very disorganized group. Running around too much. Some bright spots but need alot of practices to get this crew going. Hope the boys that attended the game had a better look than we do cause this is crap.

• jedimyrmidon says:

True about the running around. Little composure. No control. It serves them nothing to get overemotional and either get injured or sent to the penalty box.

Oh well, they were undoubtedly going to have a game like this at some point anyways.

13. Habsolutely says:

I think the dogs are tired. Either that or they hit the strip clubs in Toronto.

14. Haborama says:

this has got to be the weakest, softest, least ballsy team I have ever seen, what a bunch of whimps!

15. Relax! This is one game early in the season…the Dog’s are filled with rookies…it’s going to take some time to get their defensive system going. Give them some time…

The Leblanc injury didn’t look good…he really didn’t seem to be able to put any pressure on his leg whatsoever…

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

16. HabInToronto says:

As if things couldn’t get any worse…..Leblanc is hurt……wonderful.

17. frontenac1 says:

Where’s Staubitz? Fu*king Bums!

18. Mavid says:

finally get to watch and its 5 zip..cannot even win a fight…

19. Habsolutely says:

ouch, this game is getting ugly.

20. jedimyrmidon says:

5-0….

21. mark-ID says:

This is my first Bulldogs game I get to watch this year…but man does this team look their age. Outclassed.

22. Propwash says:

Brutal

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

23. Mavid says:

these nimrods have butchered at least 4 of the Bulldogs names…sigh I forgot how horrible they are..and what a dork millethead is

24. Habsolutely says:

This one could get nasty…

25. jols101 says:

Sarnia 2 Kitchener 1 after the 1st.

Galchenyuk 1 goal.

26. jedimyrmidon says:

Tune in: down 3-0. Crap.

27. Habsolutely says:

man the Dogs look tired out…

Geoffrion looks pathetic even in AHL. Great trade that was.

29. Mavid says:

holy snappers 3-zip

30. Propwash says:

Ruh rooh down 3-0

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

31. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Our ‘Dogs D, which I thought will be Our strength, showing some inexperience
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

32. savethepuck says:

Can anyone tell me who Antoine Corbin is? He’s playing D for the Dogs tonight but I’ve never heard of him. Did the Habs draft him? Not having much success googling him.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

33. Habsolutely says:

Dumont hung in tough there but didn’t fair too well.

34. Propwash says:

Dogs down 2-0…..

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

35. Habitant in Surrey says:

…nail-biter in Regina
    …dang, the Roughriders have bad karma playing the Als
    …felt a bit guilty on this win over the ‘lovable’ Roughies :)

…and, now !!! …da ‘Dogs vs Marlies !!!
    …Quentin (My Son) and I have all the nuts, sausages and soft drinks in arms reach (NB: Quent only 16 :( )
    …Go ‘Dogs !!! :)

PS: Sir Gerald, be a pro like Mike, and make notes for a thoroughly ‘can’t miss’ About Last Night great read post-game
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

36. Propwash says:

GO DOGS!!!

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

37. jols101 says:

So nice being able to watch this game in HD on a nice big TV. Watching live streams with bad camera work on a small laptop just wasn’t cutting it. Go Dawgs Go !!!!

38. 24moreCups says:

Can’t wait for puck to drop! I finally get to watch a game, cheers everyone!

39. Propwash says:

AC with two touchdowns!!

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

40. habsfan1001 says:

Can some one tell me if there is a site to go to watch the Dogs game tonight

41. Jean Jacques Richard says:

Hello fellow Hab fans.
    Looking forward to season starting soon.

Jean Jacques Richard
    2013 Draft.

42. frontenac1 says:

Yeehaw!!! Gettin Primed for Tha Dawgs game tonight amigos! Got my Guinness,got my Single Malt,got my Herb, and got my Cohibas! Oh Baby its goIng to be Magic! Saludos!!!!

Of course Markov is a “new look” Habs. Haven’t seen him and his knee in about years. The novelty will wear off pretty quick, but until then, him and his knee are the “new”.

44. Rad says:

17 minutes of Don Cherry?? Truly, the resident scribes at HIO have become inordinately desperate for material.

45. commandant says:

As promised, the conversation I had with Trevor Timmins’ last night, as well as a game report on Alex Galchenyuk and the game overall.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• jedimyrmidon says:

Great article.

• commandant says:

Thanks…

Total random encounter… so much more I’d love to ask him in hindsight, but I was a little starstruck and a lot unprepared. I know its weird to be starstruck by a head scout, but Timmins is probably my most respected person in the Habs organization.

In hindsight I’d have had questions about Thrower’s benching, Collberg’s ice time, Kristo’s status, and guys like MacKinnon, Barkov, Domi, Kujawinski, Monahan etc…

But there wasn’t time for that, nor did i think of them at the time.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• jedimyrmidon says:

Under the circumstances, it’s great that you were able to at least engage him in some form of conversation and ask some questions about the Habs’ Greatest Hope.

• Habfan10912 says:

Nice work Ben. Really looking forward to seeing Gally next wee and meeting you as well.

———————————–

46. frankcasting says:

I confess to being fully resigned to watching AHL hockey for the year, and living in the Dot, I get to see the Bulldogs a fair amount, and this excites me: Beaulieu, Ellis, Tinordi, Gallagher, Leblanc, Bournival, they all have NHL Habs logos tattooed on their butts. I get the feeling the next time we see the real Habs on the ice, it will look like a waaaayyyyy different team than the last time they skated.

As for Cherry – seriously? You give a ***t?

Loving the Habs since 1965

47. Mavid says:

finally hockey on the big screen tonight…

48. DorvalTony says:

Markov is a brilliant player. When he’s healthy. If he’s still skating the way he did last year everybody’s going to be running him to blow out his wobbly knee. Protection or not, he’s fragile.

49. The Dude says:

Actually,I find the Habs team looking like 1st year expansion team…. hopefully to get much better through the development of prospects cause nobody wants to trade with us for our Gorges or Markov’s or Gionta’s.

50. JohnBellyful says:

Last Saturday, Don Cherry caused a stir with his first Coach’s Corner of the make-believe season, calling out the Leafs for their handling of Nazem Kadri.
    “I don’t even know why those bozos drafted a terrorist in the first place,” Cherry told viewers. “They shoulda let him rot in Guano Bay prison, with all the other pieces of guano. Actually, I’m surprised the Leafs even picked him. He’s a Canadian. They musta not known that.
    “He looked kinda fat out there, too.”

• Cal says:

Bazinga!

Sing, Hail to the Chief,
      I am a dirty rotten so and so,
      Sing,Hail to the Chief
      Or I’ll fire your sorry…
      Maybe not!
      Send me your bucks
      I can buy more air time
      Send me your bucks
      I’ll buy this campaign,
      That’s just about it,
      I can’t think of any more right now,
      Wait until tomorrow,
      And we’ll do it all again!

• JohnBellyful says:

Fine and dandy!
        Good work, Chief. Our coffers will soon be full.
        I’ll start working on a five-point plan to help the common man get make-believe passes for the make-believe season. I’ll make make-believers of them all.

51. Don Cherry praising the Habs? The lockout must be causing him to hallucinate.
    Telio
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

52. Chrisadiens says:

I can’t stomach 17 mins of Don Cherry. Couldn’t make it thru the whole video. From the quotes above I can only assume Cherry finally found the right mixture of meds. :)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

First (again)!