‘Dogs suffer first loss; Leblanc injured

Bulldogs logo

The Toronto Marlies jumped all over Robert Mayer in the first 10:24 of the game and went on to blank the Hamilton Bulldogs 5-0 Saturday night at Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto.

Mayer was pulled after surrendering the first three goals and Peter Delmas went the rest of the way as the Bulldogs suffered their first loss after opening the season with a pair of wins.

Kenny Ryan paced the Marlies with two goals, while Nicolas Deschamps, Greg McKegg and Mike Kotska each added one. The Bulldogs outshot the Marlies 31-24, but were unable to put the puck behind Mark Owuya.

There was more bad news for the Bulldogs – and Canadiens fans – concerning Louis Leblanc. During a scrum after the whistle in the second period, Leblanc was helped off the ice and didn’t return when he fell awkwardly.

“It’s never fun to see a guy get hurt like that,” said Bulldogs’ forward Gabriel Dumont. “His leg twisted pretty weird. It didn’t look good so it’s tough. He’s a good player and a big loss for our team.”

You can read the full game story by clicking here.

The Bulldogs’ next game is against the Rochester Americans on Tuesday at 7:35 p.m. at First Niagara Center in Buffalo.  Their next home game is on Friday against the Marlies at 7:30 p.m. at Copps Coliseum.  All Bulldogs games during the month of October will be broadcast on Montreal’s TSN Radio 690.  Fans can also listen to and watch all ‘Dogs games online at hamiltonbulldogs.com.

Meanwhile, the Oct. 22 edition of Sports Illustrated has this item:

“Sign of the Apocalypse: During the NHL lockout the Montreal Gazette is playing out the Canadiens’ season on EA Sports’s NHL 13, game by game, and publishing news stories off the results of the simulated games.”

Canadiens beat writer Pat Hickey decided to have some fun during the NHL lockout and teamed up with Gazette techie Eric Tobon to employ EA Sports NHL 13 to produce The Season That Isn’t, playing out the Habs’ schedule on the video game to give frustrated fans a fantasy hockey experience. To find out how things might have looked in Saturday’s game against Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals at the Bell Centre, click here.

Fans of the Columbus Blue Jackets had a similar idea, playing an XBox simulation game on Friday against the Vancouver Canucks at a bar with the team’s longtime radio announcers, George Matthews and Bill Davidge, showing up to call the action.

Read more by clicking here.

1. Habs1996 says:

Jordan Subban, why not?
    its never bad to have too many
    talented defencemen

2. JF says:

Daly says the framework is in place for a new CBA:

3. frontenac1 says:

So the Lads on XM NHL radio talking about Ben Eager and his brother getting busted for beating up a doorman at a Toronto bar on saturday. Good thing it wasn’t a Montreal strip club or they would be sleeping with the fishes now.

4. geo_habsgo says:

Anyone take a look at Jordan Subban’s stats? If you didn’t know his position, you’d think they were a forwards stats. 12 points in 11 games and he’s looking great for Belleville. He is going to be a great defensemen in the NHL if he keeps improving his game.

I doubt we will ever see both Subban’s playing for our rear-end but he is going to be a great pick up for another team. What a talented family!

• Boomer says:

Talented Family indeed. you might see him slip in the draft because of his size though.

• commandant says:

Yeah, I think he could be there in the 2nd round… maybe even late 2nd/early 3rd.

There are just so many good forwards in this draft. There are also a number of good D with size.

Size is gonna push Jordan down a little… but I’d take him.

• Chris says:

Lots of high scoring defencemen in the OHL this season.

Jordan Subban, Belleville (3 goals and 12 points in 11 games)
      Matt Finn, Guelph (5 goals and 12 points in 11 games)
      Michael Moffat, Kingston (1 goal, 12 points in 11 games)
      Dougie Hamilton, Niagara (4 goals, 14 points in 13 games)
      Matt Petgrave, Oshawa (1 goal, 12 points in 11 games)
      Cody Ceci, Ottawa (3 goals, 11 points in 11 games)
      Jake Cardwell, Ottawa (2 goals, 11 points in 11 games)
      Darnell Nurse, Sault Ste. Marie (2 goals, 11 points in 12 games)

With both Kitchener and London off to sluggish starts, the OHL is seemingly wide open. I wouldn’t count out Olli Maatta or Ryan Murphy out of the mix either.

But Jordan Subban is definitely going to be a special hockey player. I’d be shocked if he’s still sitting around when Montreal gets a shot at drafting, and I don’t really think they can use yet another first round pick on a defenceman with the glut that they currently have.

I just don’t want him to join Malcolm in Boston. :)

• geo_habsgo says:

Definitely don’t want to use a first on him because of our depth in the position, but I wouldn’t mind him slipping and us getting him later on. Pipe dream I know. He will go first round because of his name and the hype already surrounding his family.

It is crazy to see that list you put up. These defensemen have been tearing it up the last couple of draft years.

• Boomer says:

Doubtful Bahhhhston would draft an undersized D man ;) that would be like The habs drafting a Milan Lucic type.
        Edit: By slipping in the draft i didnt mean like 2 or 3 rounds. I meant more along the lines If by the end of the year he’s ranked 10th let’s say, he MIGHT slip to 20+. With a draft this deep I could see teams being a bit hesitant because of his lack of size. That’s one of the things i love about the Draft you just never know! I can’t wait already!

5. otter649 says:

Wasn’t The Marlies goalie Jussi Rynnas rather than Mark Owuya ?

6. HabFab says:

Off hockey but AC’s story. Missed it but will have to find;

7. frankcasting says:

Was at the game (AHL) last night, hardly saw Gallagher (man, is he tiny, like DD small), Bournival, and Tinordi’s ice team seemed rather limited. Beaulieu was excellent, Geoffrion, Leblanc and Blunden looked like NHL skaters throughout. My ears are still bleeding from the relentless noise and hype. Other than that, good times!

Loving the Habs since 1965

• Habs rule says:

been to both games against the Marlies. Umm Tinordi led both teams in ice time, 23 mins + at the Ricoh center. Gallagher certainly does not play small, hard on the puck , crashing the net. Thought Geofferion , Leblance Palushaj and Blunden all looked good , Blunden has some nice speed. Thought Holland looked great as well.

8. Haborama says:

Hopefully Galchenyuk will be traded to a contending team eventually, I hope it’s not London though, Dale Hunter and his JM-like Defensive system is the last thing that Gally needs right now.

• Mark C says:

I don’t think that’s really an issue, as only Guelph is averaging more goals per game than London in the entire OHL.

• commandant says:

Yeah, London’s defensive system sure did stiffle the offense of guys like Corey Perry, John Tavares, John Carlson, Michael Del Zotto, and Patrick Kane.

Hunter coaches a lot differently in Junior than what you saw in Washington.

He’ll force Gally to play disciplined defence too, but won’t take away his offensive game.

And since Galchenyuk is already decent defensively, he’d be loved in London by the coaches.

• Ron says:

I see where your coming from in regards to Hunters coaching of young players but the players you use as examples except for Perry are not the best examples. Perry played I believe 3 seasons under the Hunters while both Tavares and Del Zotto only played less than half a season. Both were products of the Generals. Kane and Carlson came from the USHL and only played 1 season under the Hunters. All were exceptional players in their own right and played on very strong skilled Knights teams. I do believe Gally too would benifit from some good defensive coaching either with the Hunters or at least a team that is stacked like London teams of the past to give some support cast members.

• commandant says:

We’re only talking about Galchenyuk going there for 1/2 a season as a trade deadline addition…. so yes Tavares, Del Zotto, Kane, and Carlson would all apply.

Galchenyuk will play the same amount of time with the Hunters as those kids did. While you are correct in the amount of time they spent in London, I specifically included them because the situation with Galchenyuk going there for 1/2 a season is so similar.

Also with Max Domi, Seth Griffith, Bo Horvat, and the Rupert brothers, up front, and Olli Maatta, Scott Harrington, and Nikita Zadorov on defence… this London team is damn good.

• Ron says:

Thats what I said also except Perry was the only one to benifit for the longer stay. They were all exceptional players in their own right before they got there to the Knights and I don’t think half a season is going to turn a player into a big defensive player. Gally will learn to be more defensivily minded, but not only the Hunters can provide that in half a season. I said the same thing you just replied with and that is he will also benifit from a stacked strong team to play along side of although you added the names.

• commandant says:

I was originally responding to someone else’s post though, one that said, “I hope it’s not London though, Dale Hunter and his JM-like Defensive system is the last thing that Gally needs right now.”

My entire point was that half a season under the Hunters would not be a bad thing for Galchenyuk’s development as was originally implied.

I think we are on the same page…. it was the original post that was a little bit “out there”

• Ron says:

Right you are, his left abit to be pondered.

9. Hobie Hansen says:

One game doesn’t define a player, period. However, if Jarred Tinordi were having a one game audition to impress Marc Bergevin last night, he wouldn’t have done so well.

Tinordi is my absolute favourite prospect in the Canadiens organization but my pipe dream of him being ready to jump into the NHL this season, if there is one, is just that – a pipe dream.

It looks like he’ll need a full season and maybe two in the AHL. I have no doubt he’ll be the sheriff on the Habs blue line for many years but he’s got to finish developing first.

Looking forward to the next Dogs game on television, big time. The score comes secondary for me. 5-0 kinda sucks but the important thing is how guys like Tinordi and Beaulieau are developing. I bet they’ll be a ton better by the mid-season mark.

• commandant says:

Big defencemen take time. Just look at how long Chara languished in the minors and how he struggled with the Islanders and his start in Ottawa, before he became great.

Now I’m not saying Tinordi is as good as Chara, but early struggles are the name of the game with big defencemen.

I expect a similar season to Tinordi’s first year with the London Knights. He’ll spend about half of the year sucking, getting used to the speed of the game and getting his timing down at this level, and then he’ll start to really be effective in the 2nd half. I’d expect a similar learning curve when he eventually makes the NHL.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yup. Patience is a virtue. I’ll just have to accept that he won’t be putting the lumber to Lucic’s back in front of Price for a few more years. ;-).

Good comparison with Chara and good point about him adjusting at each level.

• Chris says:

I’ve been on this bandwagon for a while. Tinordi could become a very good NHL player provided that he continues to improve his skating. He moves well for such a big guy, but moving well doesn’t cut it at the NHL level. You’ve got to be an elite skater.

Tinordi’s read on the game will improve with maturity, and that will allow him to get away with not being the fastest guy on the ice. But in the meantime, his skating remains his number one issue if he’s going to dominate at the NHL level.

As Ben said below, a big defenceman can take years to come up to speed. Patience is the name of the game here.

10. ProHabs says:

Will Nathan Beaulieu be more like Patrice Brisebois or Ray Bourque??

• Hobie Hansen says:

I would say a Mathieu Schneider. A little more of a smooth skater than Schneider but not a year-in-year-out all-star like Bourque.

• ProHabs says:

Good comparison Hobie. I would be OK with that. Any other thoughts from those who have seen him play.

• Hobie Hansen says:

He could end up being better than I think though, I’m no expert. The one thing I’ve noticed in the Dogs’ two games against the Marlies is that Beaulieu stands out when he’s on the ice. He skates well with the puck and creates scoring opportunities.

• otter649 says:

In the future having two defencemen like Beaulieu & Subban to skate the puck out of danger & create scoring opps rather than shoot the puck off the boards/glass & out is something to look forward to……

11. English is not a Crime says:

I saw something about where to park in Guelph when attending Jr hockey games, I think it was a question from the Commadant?

Either way, I’ve found the best place to park at the Sleeman Center is in the parking garage right next to the place, they usually have free parking in there on game days and it attaches to the arena itself. It’s just off of MacDonnell street I believe. (check Google Maps if unsure, it’s called the East Parkade on the map)

Maybe that sounds too obvious, but I’ve never had any issues there and as far as getting out of the garage after the game, Guelph’s a small enough venue that it’s no toughter getting out of that garage than trying to get out of either of the parking lots at Kitchener’s Memorial Aud… especially now that they’ve added a thousand new seats to the Aud (I don’t even want to imagine those nightmarish parking lots now). Oddly I think the worst lot I have ever tried to get out of was in Brampton, which is strange considering, no one’s ever in the Brampton arena. They just had no clue and traffic was gnarled up there for like an hr while some idiot stood in the middle of the lot and nominated himself as traffic cop to screw everyone else up even worse than they already were.

• Chris says:

Getting in and out of that parking garage is a pain in the read end. Personally, my preference is to park over in the municipal parking lot by City Hall. It is about a 5 minute walk, but it is easy to get in and out, and you don’t have any problems getting a parking spot most nights.

Of course, I just walk to the game, as I am about 5 minutes away on foot. :)

12. centre hice says:

When Tinordi fulfills his potential, he is going to be a pillar on the Habs defense.

Forwards are going to hate playing against him because he skates so well and he makes forwards pay the price. They will not want to go get the puck in his corner.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thank you centre. Last night I read someones post that described Tinordi as “Hal Gill soft”. I’ve been shaking my head at this troll like comment since. You may have taken the shake away.
      The things you see written here…… Sigh.

———————————–

• Mark C says:

“…tough, imposing blueline anchor…militantly protects his crease and teammates…brushed off early setback and elevated his physical presence last season, gaining confidence as a strapping frame matures and fills out”. This is what Mckeen’s hockey has to say about Tinirdi’s softness issues. The kid is a beast, by the time, he establishes himself in the NHL, teams will be game planning for his physical presence, as they do today with Chara and have done in the past with the Prongers and Stevens of the world.

13. centre hice says:

The only standout was Beaulieu. Wow he looked really good, was the best skater on the ice.

Tinordi looked good too, for a defensive defenseman. He covers so much ice with his size/skating and aggressive play.

Surprised by Holland. Seems to play a prominent role with the Bulldogs for a rookie. A perimeter player that makes good slick passes. A winger who is more of a setup man a la Alex Tanguay.

• JohnBellyful says:

(Cal, I worry I’m becoming fixated about Bettman. It’s unhealthy, I know. I’ll think I’ll write a ballad about a hockey stick next week.)

What are hockey-obsessed fans around the country doing these days? Singing about their second obsession, of course.

Supercilious-calculating-SOB-he loathes us
      These are words that best describe Bettman who’s atrocious
      For all the harm he’s done the sport an apology he owes us
      Supercilious-calculating-SOB he loathes us

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
      Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay!
      Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
      Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay!

I played the game last century
      When I was just a lad
      I’d watch the games each Saturday
      But now I can’t do that
      The bad man’s locked the players out
      The season’s a no-go
      All because the billionaires
      Say they need more dough

Oh….
      Supercilious-calculating-SOB-he loathes us
      These are words that best describe Bettman who’s atrocious
      For all the harm he’s done the sport an apology he owes us
      Supercilious-calculating– he suffers from sclerosis

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
      Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
      Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
      Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay!

The leader of a loathsome pack
      He always gets his way
      He is the face of corporate greed
      And this is why we say

The day that he was hired
      Will go down in infamy
      Three times he’s taken hockey
      Away from you and me

Supercilious-calculating-SOB-he loathes us
      These are words that best describe Bettman who’s atrocious
      For all the harm he’s done the sport an apology he owes us
      Supercilious-calculating-SOB he loathes us

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
      Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay!

So when the rage has gripped your throat
      You can hardly sputter
      Sing the song that we have sung
      And when a sound you utter
      Be sure it’s clear and loudly heard
      By those who own the league
      [Spoken] The ones who made ‘em filthy rich
      Are showing fan fatigue
      Oh, and a lovely thing it ain’t!

Supercilious-calculating-Bettman, he’s atrocious
      Supercilious-calculating-SOB-he loathes us
      Supercilious-calculating-he suffers from sclerosis
      Supercilious-calculating-Bettman, he’s atrocioussssss!!!!

14. TheAmerican says:

This is from Bill Simmons article in Grantland —

And then there’s Gary Bruce Bettman, the serial killer of the National Hockey League, someone who keeps murdering games and seasons without being caught. He’s only missing a catchy/creepy nickname like the Zamboni Killer or the Canadian Bogeyman.

Any ideas for a good Gary Bettman nickname?

15. jols101 says:

@commandant – Just read your review of the Sarnia/Guelph game. Excellent job and what good fortune running into Timmins at the game. That must have been the icing on the cake.

So what do you think will happen with Galchenyuk if there ever is a new CBA. Lets say it happens December 1st, do the Habs even call him up to the camp? If they do what odds do you give him on making the big club? Personally, I would like to see him stay in junior but get traded to a contender with a couple top end prospects so he can develop better. Also, would love to see him at the WJC. Would be the first time I would ever cheer for team USA and would hope they lose to Canada in the gold medal game 7-6, with Gally getting 3gs and 3 helpers….

I think with Galchenyuk being an elite talent if he continues to show well in Junior he would get the call to camp. Similar to players like Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Seguin. Seems to me the biggest obstacle Galchenyuk faced was proving to himself and others that his knee is 100%. Because he played so few games this year, it has been a blessing I think that he has had the opportunity to play Junior to start this season.

Most likely would be in his best interest to get traded as both you and Commandent suggest and play the entire season in Junior. However, if the NHL does indeed start in December or January and he continues to show he is elite, seems to me he would get the chance to show himself in a few NHL Games.

Sure is exciting that we finally have an elite talent to watch for.

• jols101 says:

HiB, Yep, it is very nice having an elite level prospect to follow and I agree with everything you said. The lockout is a blessing in disguise for Galchenyuk as he certainly would not have been ready for the NHL if it had started on time.

I guess if there is a season his play in the short training camp and first few games will determine if he makes it. It will be interesting to see how he fits in. No rush though, if he can’t crack the lineup this year he certainly will next season. He is not a long term project. Lots of panic on other sites cause he doesn’t have 20 plus points yet. I find that hilarious and have no doubts that he is the real deal and will eventually be an elite NHLer

• commandant says:

I know you asked me the question, so I will acknowledge that I read it.

HiB answered it perfectly.

I think the team should have him in for the short training camp and see how he does for a few games. Basically lets see him in action and see how it goes.

This of course is assuming the 9 game rule doesn’t change with a new CBA.

• English is not a Crime says:

I’ve seen him a few times in this young OHL season now and he’s just not NHL ready yet. He has tools and will eventually develop into an NHL talent I am hopeful, but suggesting that he be given an NHL tryout right now (even if the NHL was playing) is premature.
      He had a goal and was minus 2 last night, he makes decent decisions and is a pretty nice looking passer, but he isn’t carrying the play of the game in jr hockey right now, and has some work to do defensively, which is what often makes or breaks talented offensive players trying to make the jump from jr to NHL (read Daigle for example)

• commandant says:

I have to say I disagree with “not carrying the play”. From the games I’ve seen… one live and a few on video, he does carry the play. Unfortunately his teammates can’t finish for him.

Its a product of that Sarnia team where he doesn’t have the talent around him. Boucher and Connor Murphy are a bit of a disappointment in this regard, I thought they’d be better with him.

16. commandant says:

Bozon just keeps on going… 1g 1a tonight after 2 periods. That Blazers team is stacked.

Vail with an assist, and my boy Gally with a goal in a loss to Kitchener. Really hope he gets traded to a good OHL team in December/January.

• commandant says:

Bozon scores again 2g 1a tonight.

• Stormin says:

Tim Bozon’s line mates,(Jc Lipon (Stats are ridiculous this year) , and Colin Smith together are forming a scary line, creating some dynamic offense on a nightly basis for the blazers.. Lipon went un-drafted last year but was offered a try out before the lock out by the Avalanche the same team that drafted Colin Smith in the 7th round.. Lipon looks like a late bloomer, very gifted skater and goes hard to the net,, great athlete… That line looks awesome, with Bozon being the youngest of the trio and showing some real offensive flare with the puck…

• commandant says:

Brendan Ranford had a 100 points last season. They are playing him on the second line, but they put four forwards on the ice for the PP.

Ranford is an overager, he was a former Flyer 7th rounder who the Flyers didn’t sign. The Bulldogs had him in a tryout but they didn’t sign him either and sent him back to Kamloops. I think he’ll have another big year and get another tryout with someone in a year there aren’t so many NHLers clogging up the AHL.

• showey47 says:

would love to see gally get traded to a team like barrie.

• commandant says:

I’m hoping London to let the Hunters work with him.

or Kitchener as I’m a fan of Spott as well.

• matt jordan says:

I’m hoping Erie, play on the top line with Connor Brown and his future Montreal Canadien teammate

• commandant says:

Connor McDavid?

Erie won’t trade for Galchenyuk. Everyone is going to assume there is a very good chance Galchenyuk is going to the NHL in 2013-14. If someone trades for him its to make a one year run at the Mem Cup, and they are giving up serious futures to do so.

Erie is rebuilding, they aren’t ready for their run. They are at least 1-2 years away still.

• Stormin says:

London would be an awesome destination, Hunter would be a perfect fit for Gally at this stage. I like Spott as well but Hunter and London would be a my choice if Gally was to move.. Although my first choice for any move would be for a week long invite to Habs Camp if only if its a slim chance the NHL can come to its senses..

• jedimyrmidon says:

As much as developing the defensive side of his game is important (as appears to be the case in Sarnia with him playing on the PK), I think letting him be creative offensively [with a defense that can defend] would help a lot in him gaining confidence.

• frontenac1 says:

@Commandant. How about Kingston?Maybe Killer can help him. Just kidding……

• chanchilla says:

hopefully it will be kitchener as i live here! I plan on going to all the games that sarnias in town.

17. showey47 says:

Though is alot of great young talent and potential on this dogs team,they are still a bunch of young rookies playing in a mans game. Even more so with the lockout enabling players playing in the ahl who would normally be in the nhl. I can see this team being fun to watch this year but i do expect to see more then a few games like the one we saw tonight. IMHO,though i hope i’m wrong,i don’t see this team as a playoff team this year.They will all need at least 1 full year before becoming a contending team.

18. Stormin says:

No NHL on a boring October Saturday night,, for the greatest fans in the world,, gee thanks Gary and NHL,,, Do you think Butteman has any feel for what it is like to open a pack of hockey cards when you are kid,, or the sounds smell and feel of a crisp night, outside working on your game,, playing hockey and then getting home in time to watch some Hockey night in Canada

• kempie says:

He strikes me as the guy who’s parents would buy him 2 or 3 sets of each of the card collections. Of course, little Gary would never open a single pack. He’d seal them hermetically and store them in a cool, dark room until he could sell them for a nice profit.

19. First! (Second first today!)

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/