‘Dogs lose Pateryn, recall Stejskal

Bulldogs logo

The Hamilton Bulldogs have recalled defenceman Joe Stejskal from the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL. Stejskal, a Dartmouth grad, played 55 games folr the AHL team last season but was pushed out of a roster spot as the Canadiens’ farm club  found room for five rookies.

Stejskal was recalled to replace one of those newcomers, former University of Michigan standout Greg Pateryn. He had been paired with rookie Jarred Tinordi but he suffered a fractured elbow against the Rochester Americans Friday night,.

1. HabsPEI31 says:

I posted this in the relevant thread, but wanted it to be noticed all the same, so we can get the right article up on the proper game.

Anybody else notice the slight discrepancy in the article on the Habs-Wings ’92 game?

I’m confused. The leader paragraph says, “The Habs took an 8-3-2 record into a game against the Detroit Red Wings on Nov. 4, 1992 at the Forum.”

But a later sentence says, “That makes it all right for everyone associated with the Canadiens, who are on a 9-0-1 roll . . . .”

Edit: The 5-1 win over the Red Wings was on 7 Nov 1992, bringing Montreal’s record in their last ten to 9-0-1. The 4 Nov 1992 game was a 4-3 victory in Detroit.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• 123456 says:

Hope below helps – the last 5 stats are W L T Steak… so for the last entry habs record was 10wins 3losses 2ties and streak was 6 wins in a row

GP Date Opponent Tm Opp W L T Streak Notes
      11 Wed, Oct 28, 1992 Tampa Bay Lightning W 4 3 6 3 2 W 2
      12 Sat, Oct 31, 1992 New York Rangers W 4 3 7 3 2 W 3
      13 Mon, Nov 2, 1992 Winnipeg Jets W 2 1 8 3 2 W 4
      14 Wed, Nov 4, 1992 @ Detroit Red Wings W 4 3 9 3 2 W 5
      15 Sat, Nov 7, 1992 Detroit Red Wings W 5 1 10 3 2 W 6

FROM:

On a lighter note – i want to say it was 1992 and who cares – you know my wife brings up stuff form the 1990s as wel…..

2. commandant says:

Here’s another highlight package. Again, not playing “centre” on the faceoff…. but when you watch it, notice that Sarault is often in the RW spot and Gally playing the role of centre.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

3. db says:

I’ve avoided this site and all hockey related sites during the lockout.. I guess it helps living in Tulum, Mexico. Personally I can’t stand the 93 recaps and EA fantasy posts, but the effort is appreciated. I’ll risk talking hockey…

First thing, free agency somewhat stalled with all the lockout business… I don’t have a list, but are there any that appeal to you guys? Do you think Bergevin is done?

I think we have a capable group of forwards, maybe not contenders but they can make the playoffs.. as for the D. I’m still up in the air.. the thought of Kaberle, Weber and Diaz having spots is too much. I’d like to keep Diaz. Kaberle is ok (points wise) but only if he gets a longer stick. Gorges, PK, Emelin and Markov make a decent top 4.. although I’d have Markov on the 5-6 with Bouillon to start… the D seems crowded with mediocre talent after JG & PK..

I hope the lockout has a buyout clause, but honestly why should the owners get to fix their mistakes.. they should pay for it IMO. If there’s no free buyout, what then?

Despite the fact that I like our forwards, I feel we’re still weak in the middle. I hope Eller can continue to progress, he’s showing some flashes… DD and Pleks are great IMO, but can they handle the playoff grind? I hope we get to find out. Ryan’s a beast.. I’m excited to see a real 3rd and 4th line.

Even if the season does start, I’ll miss the majority of the games and I won’t be giving any kind of revenue… the TSN ads before their highlights don’t even work here :p

Haven’t posted in a while since the comments generally cover every angle… its a good read right now… it’s also a good time to try to fix the mobile app, i hope commenters can reply to posts soon instead of creating a new comment..

I miss the game… oh well, off to the beach :)

4. L Elle says:

Price to appear on L’Antichambre tonight with Roy and two other ex-Habs goalies.

Topics – Roy-Hayward, Thibault-Théodore, Price-Halak…should be interesting to say the least. :)

5. Kooch7800 says:

Dale Hunter and the London knights are apparently going to watch the bulldogs game this weekend. He wants his team to see Tinordi. If you are going keep your eyes out for Dale. I think he is secretly a habs fan

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

6. Mike D says:

Anyone have any info on Alexander Avtsin? I’ve checked the Bulldogs and Nailers sites as well as hockeydb and hockeysfuture sites but there are no stats for him at all this season. Is he injured or a healthy scratch or something?

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• commandant says:

Healthy scratch all season. On the Bulldogs roster, has not played a game.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Mike D says:

Thanks Ben – I figured you’d be the one to reply.

I know Hamilton got a pretty good influx of talent this year and the lockout has kept some potential NHLers down on the farm, but it’s definitely not a good sign that Avtsin’s been a healthy scratch and hasn’t played a single game yet in his 3rd year playing pro.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• commandant says:

It seems the organization has given up on him. He’s been a healthy scratch for key games before too, (the 2010 playoffs for one), and at times last season too.

He seems like a guy who has no hockey sense out there. He has great skill, but doesn’t understand how to use that skill and make good plays. He’s also totally lost defensively.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Mike D says:

What a shame. Your assessment seems to be consistent with what I’ve read even going back to when he was drafted. As a 4th round pick he was never a sure-thing, so not a huge loss in that regard, but with all the talk of how skilled he is, plus his size, you tend to get your hopes up that he’ll put it together.

While I understand the concept of hockey sense, it’s hard to comprehend how someone can be so talented, yet not translate that into developing hockey sense and becoming an effective player. How can you have talent and not know how to use it properly? Anyways…

Thanks for the info, Ben. It’s appreciated.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• Kooch7800 says:

I just don’t think he ever adapted well to playing in N.A. He can’t really speak English and that could be effecting him on the ice with coaching.

He has skill but when you get to the AHL & NHL etc the skill level is that intense that you have to be elite to exceed

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…save the back-slapping Smart Dog …you should know by now, there are no extra brownie-points being right in HIO :)

• Bripro says:

That’s because we’re all right!
      And the NHL & NHLPA are all wrong!

*********************************************
      “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

• SmartDog says:

I know, I know… it’s just like being right with my wife. But just ONCE be wrong about a little thing like her birthday and you’ll hear about it for a lifetime!!

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Bripro says:

I know!!! Same here.
        So you miss one little thing like a wedding anniversary… oye!
        You would think I had killed someone! ;)
        I mean, there are so many of them… who’s supposed to remember them all?

*********************************************

• SmartDog says:

Hey, I remember Christmas and Halloween. Everything else is bonus!

————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• bleedhabs81 says:

The secret, you should have set yourself up so that your anniversary is on a major non-canadian holiday.

For example, my anniversary is July 4th. Aside from the joke “The US got their independance, but I lost mine”, it makes it really easy to remember (and ensure there is always fireworks).

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…speaking from personal experience a fractured elbow can be more serious than it initially appears

…depending where it is fractured, calcifies and heals …it requires a lot of rehab especially if centred at the hinge

…I once upon a time had a pitching arm in the high nineties …post surgery and rehab never again higher than low 60s

…of course Pateryn is not pitching, but I always worry about athletes with fractures at the joint

…good luck Greg, You seem like You will be soon a good ‘un

• bleedhabs81 says:

I once pitched in the low 60’s, broke my arm, had it fixed, and then could throw high 90’s!

I was then signed by the cubs as a 12yr old phenom and helped get them to the world series….

wait.. no… that was a movie.

9. SmartDog says:

The season WILL happen.

Throughout the lock-out, amidst near unanimous agreement here that the owners didn’t care if they lost the season and would drag it out as long as it takes to “break the players”, I disagreed. A couple of weeks back while everyone was fretting about the lost season to come, I said that hockey WOULD happen – and soon.

It’s gonna happen. The owners are not as stupid or as reckless as they have seemed. Games will start in December. If a deal is made this week, they could even revive the Winter Snoozefes…er, Classic.

You heard it here first (weeks ago) and again now. The season will happen or I’ll eat my bowl! ARF!!!

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• mdp2011 says:

Sorry, have to disagree, I still think they are stupid enough to cancel the entire season again. But, if by some miracle they do come to an agreement this week, there is no way the revive the Winter Classic, that event is dead this year, season or no season.

• SmartDog says:

I agree it’s unlikely the Winter Classic will happen, obviously that’s a long shot. But they had a longer meeting Saturday than they’ve had to date. And they meet again tomorrow. The gap is not big, the sides are closing. Imagine the great fanfare Buttman could create by saying “the much-loved Winter Classic/Snoozefest has been saved”. It could only happen this week but unless something else has been slated already, the stadium is still sitting there.

But the season will happen. Put away your pessimism and mark my words.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Hobie Hansen says:

If I had to put money on it I’d say there’s a season. A week ago I wouldn’t have thought so. Things can change with a drop of a hat though.

Each side will hold out until the last possible second though to try and get a few extra bucks to fall their way when the other side cracks and agrees.

• Cal says:

Hell SD, all you kept repeating was that Bettman’s a dick.

• SmartDog says:

Obviously that’s been a topic of discussion.

But I’ve also said the owners want and need a season just as much as the players. Which BTW makes Bettman a bigger dick for this last bit – cancelling the Winter Classic and then starting negotiations (finally) just after. He keeps trying to blackmail the PA into talking. Each time it fails he comes back to the table.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Cal says:

He’s taken away any “edge” the PA may have had by being serious about losing games. Right now, if November remains cancelled, the players lose 25% of their contracts for the season. That’s a high price for not negotiating. And for letting Fehr fritter away the days.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Agree on everything. My guess is a deal gets done late this week.

• frontenac1 says:

Jeesh! So where are we on “The Boner Meter”?
      1. Being flacid.
      10..Being a baby”s arm squeezing an apple.

10. Kfourn says:

Got my tickets to see the Subway Super Series in Val D’Or on Nov. 7th…I’m looking forward to seeing both MacKinnon and Yakupov playing against each other.

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

• SmartDog says:

Wow, that’s WAY up there…. must be six hours from Montreal or more…?

PS: Great quotes. Funny. :)

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Kfourn says:

Well it’s actually only 45mins. away from where I’m currently living so it works out great!

_______________________________________________________

11. frankcasting says:

In case you missed it, a new Hockey News profile of the new Alex 27

Loving the Habs since 1965

12. habsnyc says:

It takes the NHL about seven seasons to accumulate enough bad contracts that the league needs to shut down to unclog the system. The NHL does not need a new revenue share so much as it needs draino. The Globe and Mail article discusses potential changes to the AHL salary structure. It seems ridiculous that the NHL’s problems can be fixed by changing something in another league.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

13. Kooch7800 says:

Wow, could this guy be any less of a joke:

I was a big fan of his before he played for the habs. Now I can’t stand this guy

14. Kooch7800 says:

Had a dream the lockout ended this week…..

Would be great if it did!

Sucks about Pateryn. That kid will be a keeper

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning bud. Didn’t have the dream but I think your vision might be correct. CHeers.

———————————–

• Kooch7800 says:

My vision could still be impaired from the weekend ;)

Things getting more settled down your way?

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan10912 says:

For me, yes. Power restored. Now we have gas lines but as an old retired dude I don’t need to go anywhere? Thanks for asking.

———————————–

• Bripro says:

Your gas is back! That’s great Jim.
            I guess you’re back to eating spicy foods. ;)

*********************************************

• Kooch7800 says:

Glad to hear at least the hydro is back. It is a start! Hopefully the gas comes soon as it isn’t exactly warm out right now

I am off to NYC on Thursday with the wife for a couple of days. I guess I didn’t time this trip very well!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bripro says:

Kooch, He says his gas is back.
            As for Hydro, I believe Jim received preferential treatment, because he hung his habs flag on the front porch, and the streets were full of Hydro Quebec trucks….
            Good luck in the big Apple.
            Just be careful, because they’re announcing another big storm.

*********************************************

• Kooch7800 says:

Sorry Bri….apparently my brain isn’t working. My daughter (20 months old) didn’t seem to care about the clocks moving up this weekend so I have been up since 5 am. Good times

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bripro says:

I’d love to say “I miss those days” but our grandson lives with us, so…
            I hear ya, buddy!
            At least you’ll get the afternoon nap….

*********************************************

15. Hobie Hansen says:

Hey Thanks Mr. Hickey!

Not sure if you were paying attention to our comments complaining about a lack of Dogs coverage but in any regard, keep them coming!

Much appreciated. Don’t like having to head to other sites instead of HIO.

16. Cal says:

Hope you all had a great weekend.
    Monday is for Metallica:

• Bripro says:

Great band, great music, great rendition!
      Great job, Cal.

I also liked your “get back” reword from yesterday.

*********************************************

17. Habfan10912 says:

Pleks has another 3 point game. 2 goals, 1 assist.

———————————–

18. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning All! I’ve been feeling more positive about seeing hockey soon. I think by the end of this week we’ll have our answer. It seems the parties have found some room to negotiate and I’m guessing, that the players are going to be asked how far they would be willing to move to get back to work. This could prove bothersome as I’m sure opinions differ greatly given such a large group. Buttman and Company do not have that same issue as he has the 7 plus Jacobs (Cup award) in his back pocket.
    If this doesn’t get done this week then we go back to the Ian forecast, no hockey for you. Call me a fool but I’m thinking it gets done.

———————————–

• Cal says:

I am optimistic, too. Have to be optimistic about something, for crying out loud! :)
      -EDIT- Puck drop should be about 2 weeks after deal is signed. If Friday, NHL back by the 23rd.

19. Habfan10912 says:

And a more optimistic view.

———————————–

20. Habfan10912 says:

It appears the very own Winter Classic may have been responsible for getting these talks going again.

———————————–

Daniel Pribyl 8 4 + 3
    Sebastian Collberg 23 4 + 3
    John Westin 18 3 – 7
    Josiah Didier 6 0 E
    Colin Sullivan 6 0 E

22. Cal says:

Real shame about Pateryn- he was the 1st Hamilton Dman to be called up (If I were running things, of course). This is yet another injury setback for him.

23. Rad says:

A fractured elbow cannot be a good thing.

Kudos to Mr. Hickey for this thread.

25. commandant says:

Guess this means that they see Hagel as a forward and not a Dman, and thats probably the right move.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

26. Galchenyuk is on a tear right now, despite his team struggling offensively. 28 points in 18 games, damn. You can’t tell he missed an entire year of hockey. *Knocks on wood* Habs are fortunate to have him.

• jedimyrmidon says:

The Sting actually aren’t offensively challenged per se as they actually have a good PP and score quite a few goals. The main complaint is that the players often don’t convert the very good passes Galchenyuk gives them (at least earlier on). Things seem to be going well now that he is playing on the wing – if he had decent finishers (as Bozon appears to be) then I think he would still be playing centre at the moment.

The pattern I see in tracking what people are writing about the Sting game-by-game is that the defense is terrible defensively and is more offensively oriented.

• Bill J says:

From what I’ve heard/read about the Sting, they are only good as you describe because of Gally. Certainly a good thing for us Hab fans.

Remove Gally, and the Sting become very ordinary. And some of those points some of these players have suddenly drop as well btw… Gally makes others around him better… As far as I’m concerned, he was worthy of being #1 overall last June.

• commandant says:

I agree with all of that, except I’d still have Galchenyuk at #2 overall. Yakupov is lighting it up in the KHL right now too. He’s also pretty special.

That said, I’m happy with Galchenyuk as a Hab.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• JayK-47 says:

After seeing pictures of Yakupov and Galchenyuk together post draft, I’m GLAD the Habs picked who they did.

Yakupov’s eyes are just blank and not in that immature kinda hangdog, sorta guilty way A. Kostitsyn had, but in a nobody’s home at ALL and all we’re ever gonna get from Nail is recorded sound-bites and random weirdness kinda way.

Maybe this year Yakupov might look better, but I bet at the 2, 5, 10, 15 year and further points, Gally will win every time.

• commandant says:

I hope you are right that we got the better player. I just was a fan of what Yakupov can do.

Anyways we’ll see Yak tomorrow night in the first game of the Subway Super Series QMJHL vs Russia.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• jedimyrmidon says:

Oh yeah, for sure. I just think that if he was on a truly offensively-challenged team then he wouldn’t have a guy like Sarault with whom he can play [on the wing]. It seemed like it was going to be that way when he was playing as a centre earlier on in the season. I completely agree that if Galchenyuk weren’t there, Sarnia would be in deep trouble. Apparently, he has been used at all 3 forward positions so far, which means that he’s quite versatile.

• Chris says:

I’m not sure I buy the argument that Galchenyuk has been making the players around him all that better. All season, we’ve been hearing that he’s doing well despite crappy wingers.

The problem in Sarnia is that their second best player, Charles Sarault, is also a center (the guy who centered Nail Yakupov last season as the two of them put up big point totals). With Galchenyuk on the wing, Sarault can go back to playing center and setting up the more talented Galchenyuk, who does have some scoring ability to go with his playmaking. Sarault has also broken out after a slow start, with 5 goals and 10 assists in his last 9 games, which complements Galchenyuk (7 goals and 9 assists over the same time period) very well.

• Bill J says:

Well all year minus the last few weeks, when Gally started tearing it up on the stats sheet, and coincidentally Sarnia started winning more consistently. It’s been, “I’m quite surprised at how well Gally has been playing with such a lower level supporting cast.”

Sarault is but one player, remove Gally or Yakupov. And the Sting are mediocre at best.

• rhino514 says:

galchenyuk is playing on the wing? that should be big news. The habs did not draft him to play wing. what´s going on? One doesn´t place such a player on the wing just because it may improve the team offensiveley. He is supposed to be be being groomed to play centre in the NHL. Could there be more to this?

• Chris says:

Tyler Seguin spent his rookie season playing wing even though Boston has every intention of him being their first-line centre for years to come.

Sarnia had a problem in that Sarault and Galchenyuk, their two best forwards, play the same position. Sarault is probably more limited to being exclusively a playmaker, while Galchenyuk can score, so the shift makes sense for them as a team.

• commandant says:

Galchenyuk flows so much on the ice, and moves around so much out there, that it almost looks like Sarault takes the faceoff but Galchenyuk flips to the Centre position when the play is on.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

27. Ron says:

NHLPA have rescheduled the conference call between their Ext Board and Neg. Com to Monday at 4pm eastern

28. SmartDog says:

The injury bug has found a new home in Hamilton.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

29. ProHabs says: