Dog days … with camp a month away

Roughly one month until the Canadiens open training camp the middle of September, a rookie camp to kick things off a few days before.

While MIke Boone dips his toes in the surf of Maine, hence reducing the volume of links he was providing here, we offer a YouTube clip sent along by Todd Denault that appears almost to be a home movie, shot at Butch Bouchard’s restaurant in 1971. How many Habs can you recognize in this?

And from our friend Robert Lefebvre, a thought-provoking piece on legendary Canadien Newsy Lalonde.

• Newcomer Dustin Boyd will wear No. 17 this season. See below for the Canadiens’ official list of those before him who have worn that sweater. (My favourites: 1930s goalies George Hainsworth and Wilf Cude and, during his 1950-51 tryout, Jean Béliveau.)

By the way: Sir Paul McCartney apparently left the Bell Centre stage the other night with a Canadiens jersey. First the Dalai Lama, now Sir Paul. Anyone have a photo of it to share? Email it to dstubbs@thegazette.canwest.com

ae1khjiX5XU

Those who have worn No. 17 for the Canadiens:

1. New says:

When you figure the coach he has, the team that is around him, and the second chance he is being given I figure he will have either a great season, or if it starts badly, head to rehab in the KHL and never be seen again.  It will be all or nothing for him, and I’m hoping all.

2. Habsman93 says:

would love the original u can email me @ habsman55@sympatico.ca

thanks

3. showey47 says:

LMFAO,yup. The argos were far and away the better team. Strong games by boyd,owens and the argos defence.

4. db says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s captain before being re-signed..

5. TorontoHabsFan says:

ARRRRRGOS!!!

Two interceptions and a fumble, plus very poor tackling on the returns. We were done like dinner.

7. Bill J says:

:D

Now if she could wear one that says “Property of the Habs” all will be well in the universe!

8. showey47 says:

lmao,yeah the argos do have a history don’t they. That late TD might make things interesting.

9. TorontoHabsFan says:

Never underestimate the ability of my beloved Argos to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory :)

10. showey47 says:

Alouettes looking brutal tonight on both sides of the ball.

11. Say Ash says:

“Captain Markov” – it sounds like a Bond villain. I don’t see him getting it unless he signs an extension beforehand. My money’s on Gionta.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

I missed it as well, but I skimmed P.K. because at this point, what else is there to say?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. likehoy says:

i read that, and missed that “captain markov” part…I think it’s so natural that it didn’t stick out!

14. bennykchui says:

Guess what…

Markov “will” be our captain next…

“Subban was also called-up to Montreal during the 2009-10 NHL playoffs,
    due to the Canadiens’ blueline being weakened by injuries, including
    captain Andrei Markov. With only two NHL regular season games under his
    belt, Subban’s play helped the team to first- and second-round upsets
    against heavily favored Washington and Pittsburgh.”

(Copied from Hockey’s Future)

15. db says:

Nice work!  FYI, there’s a site called http://www.dropbox.com.. with free online storage of 2G.  You can upload anything on there and link to it, photos will not be downsized.  It also has a cool feature where you can have a dropbox folder on yours and a friends computer that syncs.  Best part, free and easy.  There’s also a photo album folder, which shows thumbnails but you have access to the full sized photos.

Oh, and great work btw!

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Hockey’s Future has a fresh evaluation of our prospect chart.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

You, SF09 and I all thought the same thing!!! ;-)

18. slamtherimtim says:

thanks

19. coachdoug says:

Good choice Mike…can’t beat the coast of Maine for getting away from it all…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

20. Rob says:

Took Aerobiz’s advice and tweaked it a bit.  Less duplicates.

21. yathehabsrule says:

Serious overhaul??? Didn’t we just have that last summer?

Essentially this guy/gal expects the Habs to just tank for three or four years, which would never be accepted in Montreal, then try to rebuild.

I’d take my chances with the current BG/PG plan, rather than see Montreal burn completely.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

22. yathehabsrule says:

NHL.com was tweeting just yestarday, asking their favourite player nicknames.

I replied with Jean Pusie! He didn’t even need one..lol

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

23. yathehabsrule says:

According to the site, the trade-in deadline was May 29.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

24. Mike T says:

I thought i saw Yvon in a quick clip. If you blink you’ll miss it!

I also saw:

Butch Bouchard, Pierre Bouchard, Carol Vadnais, Rejean Houle, little Denis Brodeur, and one guy looked like Ron Corey….don’t know if he was around at that time.

25. showey47 says:

I don’t think he will hit 50,at least not this year. Their 2 top point producers last season had 51. SK is a playmaker and i don’t think they have the finshers to score alot of goals.

2010 HIO Fan Summit Updates. Raffle Nonations. click here!

Largest Turnout For Our HIO Fan Summit In 4 years

27. slamtherimtim says:

anyone know if the habs zone at the bell center is still giving a discount on sweaters when trading in a fake one

28. smiler2729 says:

Mmm, Maine… my home away from home of my youth.

Mmm, lobster, the Clam Shack, Bennett’s subs, Meserve’s, Allison’s, cheap beer… Red Sox… shopping in South Portland on rainy days…

Nice drive too if you do Route 26…

Stuck in Ontario now, ugh, nothing here now but Kaberle trade crap.

29. ESundy36 says:

Actually the Connecticut Development Authority was given the rights to the logo, name and colors by Karmonos as a part of his dastardly deed in the exit agreement with the state of Connecticut, that part I know for sure is true. The following I am not one hundred percent sure about because it is still unclear but supposedly the CDA allowed the ownership of the logo, name and colors to lapse, once that happened anyone and everyone jumped on the Whalers merchandise bandwagon.

I gave up on team returning here to Connecticut as soon as I walked out of the Civic Center on April 13, 1997 with tears in my eyes and I see all of this talk of the Whalers returning as a bunch of time wasting but of course everyone is in a tizzy again because Howard Baldwin has begun another push to raise the hopes of the state for no good reason with his Whalers Hockey Fest next winter. I still remain completely unsold on the whole NHL coming back to Hartford thing and will do so until there is a new building with a new team on the ice. I will, however, admit that the fan fest today was a great experience.

30. Castor says:

Just watch this clip… When Andrei hustles this line is deadly. All these guys are still on our team by the way.

31. W35T5ID3 says:

….i have to mention this,although it ma have been pointed out by someone already…..

………lol…did anyone see who was the first guy to sport #17 in a habs jersery??1930-31……yup u guessed it………….Jean PUSIE!

32. ooder says:

it’s very nice man.. great job!

——————

88 is the new 23

33. Rob says:

i do.  But not in Westmount.  Lived near there, but wasn’t a teacher at the time, and now I’m living in Calgary

34. Puck Bard says:

This is who I thought I saw: Lemaire, Laperierre, Marc Tardif, Dryden, Henri Richard, The Flower, Pete and Frank, Jean B, Dejordy, Phil Roberto, Claude Larose and Phil Myre.

Surprising I didn’t see Savard, Lapointe or The Roadrunner.

35. Rob says:

thanks. yeah, i repeated some of the players i feel are important to this years success, but another problem is finding pics I liked of some of the players i would have liked to add in Habs unis (Eller, Boyd, Pyatt, White, etc.)  Anyway, yeah, you can print posters pretty cheap now at Staples/Bureau En Gros so hopefully someone other than me will get some use out of this.  Maybe then i can justify the time i spent on it! :P

36. gK_HabsFan says:

Any chance you teach chemistry??

-GK-

37. Aerobiz says:

Great job Rob.

If your still looking at making any tweaks to the poster perhaps you might think of swaping some of the repeating players (Subban, Cammi) for others just to give more variety.

I really liked the balance of fromer players and current ones though. (Guy playing against the Barons is so neat to see)

Your class will love it.

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

38. Danno says:

Beautiful. Bravo!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

39. Rob says:

I never repost, but i put this up at like 4 in the morning last night, so i figured some people who might like it might have missed it…

So i’ve been working on this poster tonight to
    put up in my classroom, and I figured i’d share it.  I uploaded it on
    photobucket and you can access it from the link below.  I made it 24×16
    so that you could actually print it out, however, it appears that
    photobucket has downsized it.  So not sure what the quality will look
    like it you try to increase the size. anyway, if you like it, i can
    always email you the original poster sized jpg.  ahhh….sharing.  feels
    good

40. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

HABBY BIRTHDAY JOSH GORGES!!

41. RetroMikey says:

Butch Bouchard’s was one of the first restaurants I attended before going to the Montreal Forum to catch a game in the early 80’s and then clubbing to my favourite club,the Limelight on Stanley Avenue and sneaking it as a minor 17 year old.

It was great walking in their and see Sr. Butch and Jr. Butch and talk about hockey especially the Habs and getting a postcard of the restaurant signed by both of them.

Nothing but a good New York Strip at Butch’s back then.

The memories you can never forget.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

42. naweed235 says:

ya i think over 50 aswell… we all know how talented he is when he wants to play and I gotta say when I first saw him play here in MTL he was playing with heart night in and night out and so i’d suppose he’ll get top 6 minutes down there and he’ll put up at least 50 pts

43. observer says:

The Habs first #17 ever would have a hard time with the fans nowadays in all visiting team rinks and maybe in his own team’s arena too.

44. likehoy says:

over 82 games, i would think he’ll put between 40-45…but he’ll prob play around 60, so he’ll end up with 30points….10g-20a

45. habs4ever2894 says:

13 G  37A     Thats doable…

46. joeybarrie says:

Hey… Lets get behind our team so they finish last 3-5 times so we can get some good picks and hope we keep it all together and win another Stanley Cup….  Dumbest idea ever.

Didn’t work with the NY Islanders, didnt work for the Blue Jackets, Flyers, Coyotes, Thrashers, Capitals or Blues…

A better move would be to get behind our team and stop making it so difficult for players to do well here… Think Latendresse, and any other player who didn’t sign here because of the issue our fans create.

Want to know who to blame for our lack of success here in Montreal???  Guess what its us… unrrealistic standards, ridiculous observations, unnecessary pressure and criticism towards individual players and its management.

Always makes me laugh how people who’s experience in the NHL is limited to RDS and TSN think THEY know how to make another dynasty…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

47. Aerobiz says:

You’re on the right track.

From what I’ve heard the rights owners to the logo and jersey (the former owners of the team) are still holding out hope to bring the team back to Hartford and are not happy with how the relocation went down and the leagues relcutant stance on bringing them back. Because of this they refused to allow distribution of anything with the logo on it for years because the NHL gets a cut of each sale.

In the last two years though items have started showing up in stores. I’ve seen hats, a few T-shirts and a wool “vintage style” jersey that didn’t look great.

I’m guessing that this is part of a strategy to build up public interest to make a push for a return. Seeing as Canada is out of the question when it comes to Bettman, perhaps Hartford sees the opportunity to get the coyotes.

48. K-hab25 says:

35 – 10G – 25A

49. petrov14 says:

I think its had something to do with the city owning the logo (Hartford). I would also love to see this jersey back on the ice. Its really hard to find the ‘newer’ style Hartford jerseys.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

50. saskhabfan says:
    “The game plan was to let the opposition have 40 to 60 shots per game and hope the goalie and the defence would stop most of them. Great plan”- Guess “shelly” forgot what happened when the habs only allowed 20 to 25 shots per game against the flyers. Guess she missed that part of the playoffs.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

51. Chuck says:

Langway > Ludwig > LeClair. That was a pretty good run for #17.

52. scrowe21 says:

So..how many points does Sergei put up this year in Nashville? Im sayin over 50.

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

53. JD_ says:

* Readin’ the bleacher report piece on the Top Eight Young Guns in 2010-11, you know, kids that were drafted prior to the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and have been spendin’ some time honin’ their skills in the bush leagues. Favourite’s gotta be Kyle “Steve Downie” Beach. Guy’s a monster, averagin’ 1 PPG in the WHL despite spendin’ 3 minutes in the box in each of those games over the course of some 250. E-v-e-r-y single profile of the guy says he could be NHL power forward material IF he doesn’t first murder someone in a brawl outside an after-hours club whilst in the violently seductive grip of (2S)-N-methyl-1-phenylpropan-2-amine. Should be a place for him as I understand the Blackhawks are in need of guys who don’t eat up cap space. Expect Kyle’ll be readin’ magazines in Colin Campbell’s waitin’ room some time before US Thanksgivin’.

* If somehow you still don’t understand what happened durin’ Kovygate, and what it means for the future of NHL-NHLPA relations, this is a good place to start. Succinct.

* Jeebus, you’d think Cammy was runnin’ for office. If I see one picture of him, just one, kissin’ wee babies and/or flippin’ pancakes at a fundraiser, well, it’ll just be a matter of time before this bag o’ Pop-Tarts® lands a tryout deal with the Oilers.

* Wow! Things are really hoppin’ at the NHL Network! Noticed its breathless news ticker that runs along the bottom of your TV screen was lettin’ the viewin’ public in on some “late-breakin” news on Friday afternoon; e.g., Anaheim signs Teemu Selanne, Ruslin Salei a Wing, etc… Seriously, if a piece of news is as stale as 10-day old bread, does NHLN really have the right to give it a sense of urgency? Do they refuse to acknowledge the barrel is dry or are they simply that far out of the loop? Run a message that says, “We’ve got nothin’, folks, eff-diddly-squat. The dressin’ room’s empty and the Zamboni’s out for repairs,” or f*** off. I’m too busy to be BSed.

* Carey Price hasn’t signed. In other news, off to my son’s soccer for a matchup against the once, albeit no longer feared Celtix du Haut-Richelieu. Should be a barn-burner.

* After watchin’ the video, I think I speak for many, if not all, when I express my endless gratitude we no longer live in the early 70s. Pretty certain Houle was wearin’ that puke-worthy jacket when he traded Roy.

54. Aerobiz says:

There is no honor in purposely losing in order to win.

If the team ever took that route (and they never will) that may be the only thing that would make me walk away from this franchise forever.

55. Aerobiz says:

They’ve had the old jerseys for a while now. I always make the Yotes wear the Jets jerseys.

But Hartford has never been in any game since they were relocated. That’s awesome news.

I would love to get a Whalers jersey myself and get Sidorkiewicz on the back just for kicks.

56. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Been there many times, great place.

57. ZepFan2 says:

I read it and thought of you right away.

Does this mean I have to start calling you Shelley? ;)

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

58. Mattyleg says:

Ever been to Momesso’s in NDG?

There are some fantastic photos of the teams of the 80s partying and drinking there.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

59. notbigbird says:

Murray Wilson was my first association with #17. I guess that shows when I was paying the most attention and/or my brain hadn’t begun to deteriorate.

60. notbigbird says:

The way this team is constructed, it would be very difficult to lose big. You’d have to trade a lot of players for futures in order to plummet sufficiently. Can’t be done: too obvious and too drastic.

61. Clay4bc says:

The level of talent wearing #17 went significantly downhill after LeClair…let’s hope it takes a turn for the better this time.

Hard to be worse than BGL though…

__________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

— George Orwell –

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Letting out your hidden frustrations by writing to the Gazette under a false name isn’t the way to go HH ;)

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

63. SeriousFan09 says:

Puck Daddy reports NHL 11 will include former team jerseys as alternates for transplanted franchises, so that means you can deck out the Avalanche with Nordiques jerseys, the Coyotes with a Jets jersey, the North Stars may live again and the Hartford Whalers can return to glory in Raleigh.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

64. Mattyleg says:

17 is a great number.

For me, it’ll always be big Craig Ludwig. What a dude.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

65. derfab says:

Good little research paper on newsy. He definately did score 500, though calling more than half of them nhl calibre goals is a real stretch.

character is derfab destiny.

Interesting letter to the editor on the Gazette’s web site: Canadiens need serious overhaul

67. derfab says:

Cool video. Frank and Pete (my idols that year), Henri, Jean, Claude Larose, J.C. Tremblay, the real Laps, Kenny, the 2 Guys, Savard in the background, Pierre (stan jonathan) Bouchard, Reggie Houle and Marc Tardif? (more talent than lafleur but got his head smashed in the wha), is that other handsome dude with the handlebars Claude Pronovost?, I don’t recognize the young blond guy with the beatles jacket.

character is derfab destiny.

68. LeGrosBill says:

Was that Ken Dryden looking like Justin Bieber?

69. notbigbird says:

He made a few appearances.

No super stars here , just character team players. Were going to be alright this year.

71. derfab says:

I respectfully disagree. A good core that gets thin too quickly. Character and toughness (up front especially) is the one thing this team is obviously short on. We have energy and speed but we have no one who really puts any kind of fear into the opposition and hence no one who makes space for our true skill guys.

character is derfab destiny.

Fan Summit Updates– And I need your HELP.!—- CLICK! on Summit page

Here are the rates for the new Hall Of Fame and Bell Center tour
    Nov6th at 10.30am. Everyone and anyone just show up a little early to
    get your tickets.

HOF Only    Regular Admission    Group Admission (20+)
    Adults (17+)    10.00$    8.00$
    Children (5-16)    7.00$    5.00$
    Seniors (65+)    7.00$    5.00$
    Child (0-4)    Free    Free

HOF + Bell Centre    Regular Admission    Group Admission (20+)
    Adults (17+)    15.00$    13.00$
    Children (5-16)    12.00$    10.00$
    Seniors (65+)    12.00$    10.00$
    Child (0-4)    Free    Free

We would like to offer you the following rates : $109 CAD per room
    per night, plus taxes, single or double occupancy.

Book your room at this # and tell them you are with Habs Inside Out Group or HIO to get the deal rate everyone.

The hotel  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

73. derfab says:

Good player. Not old enough, mean enough or skilled enough to be a convincing captain.

character is derfab destiny.

74. madcap_habsfan says:

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535914&navid=DL|MTL|home…  a silly little piece in honor of gorges turning 26 :)…just wanted to share that  since i know your a fan of his, don’t know if you saw it already

-“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

75. RGM says:

Happy birthday to the next captain, Josh Gorges!

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

76. derfab says:

I’m pulling for Boyd, Pacs and White to steal spots.

Laps has to drop his gloves and-or make a better offensive contribution to stay on my team. He has an important role player spot and if he can’t do more he needs to go.

character is derfab destiny.

77. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ve been backing a 3rd-place finish in the conference for a while now, I’m only considering Boston a true rival for the division title and Price has such a hate on for them now (3-0-0, 1.00 GAA last season) that I think we’ll beat them in our season series. Not sure about the 6th-place league finish, but I imagine it will be in the top 10. When I think about the nights we were hemmed into our zone because of a completely inadequate 4th line and only one effective scoring line, no Markov and no Subban around… I don’t see how not having Gionta and Cammalleri out of action for weeks each wouldn’t have put another 12 points up for the team in the standings, at least.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

I think we will finish 3rd in our conference this year
    and 6th in the 30 team league. We will not walk over teams to be sure.
    And the Hab’s will certainly keep us on the edge of our seats most
    nights until the final whistle. There will be a fair amount of overtime
    and shoot out games for us all season long, and we will win the
    majority of them.

This should be a very entertaining and
    emotional year. For the first time in many years we are going to come
    out of the gate with solid team effort and we are capable of beating
    every team in the league on any given night.

Only a few weeks
    remaining before training camp, with just a couple of spots available
    for the hottest young players in camp. Wonder who is going to step up
    and grab a spot.??

Largest Turnout For Our Fan Summit In 4 Years

Click for new info! and leave your message

79. Caper says:

Hey Ian.

While I am not as optimistic as you are far as where we finish (6th for me), thank you for what this website needs more often-positive comments. I hope you’re right though.

80. RGM says:

That’s a nightmare indeed.

Hopefully his dreams are of a 40-win Vezina Trophy regular season and a 16-win playoffs.

If they’re anything less than that, I’m sure the usual Price-hating crowd will rag him for not aspiring to ultimate glory and use this as Exhibit 235.3 in their unending crusade to pillory him and undo the Halak trade.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

I had the weirdest dream last night. First part of the dream is Price got signed. The rest I surely hope wasn’t a premonition.

Anyways it was only a dream so back off but it was pretty funny nevertheless.

I was at the first game of the upcoming season. Opening face-off, which the opposing team wins, puck goes back and some-one floats the puck from their blue line to the Canadiens nets. Price flubs it and it goes in. Everyone in the stands throws everything they have on the ice, milkshakes the size of buckets, drinks and food of every nature, so much stuff littered the ice that poor Carey was swept under it as if hit by a tidal wave. It wasn’t a nightmare as I didn’t wake up.

I just can’t imagine what kind of dreams poor Carey is having.

82. RGM says:

Nice, thanks for sharing that. I hadn’t been to the site yet today so that’s cool of you to post. :)

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

83. madcap_habsfan says:

np

84. habs-hampton says:

So, today, where is the place to be?  Which current or former Habs have their own bars/taversn/restaurants, and if you wnet to one, would you be likely to see anyone there?

Fan Summit Updates– And I need your HELP.!—- CLICK! on Summit page

Here are the rates for the new Hall Of Fame and Bell Center tour
    Nov6th at 10.30am. Everyone and anyone just show up a little early to
    get your tickets.

HOF Only    Regular Admission    Group Admission (20+)
    Adults (17+)    10.00$    8.00$
    Children (5-16)    7.00$    5.00$
    Seniors (65+)    7.00$    5.00$
    Child (0-4)    Free    Free

HOF + Bell Centre    Regular Admission    Group Admission (20+)
    Adults (17+)    15.00$    13.00$
    Children (5-16)    12.00$    10.00$
    Seniors (65+)    12.00$    10.00$
    Child (0-4)    Free    Free

We would like to offer you the following rates : $109 CAD per room
    per night, plus taxes, single or double occupancy.

The hotel  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

86. The Teacher says:

OMG OMG, AT 2:56 THERE CLEARLY IS SMOKE WAFTING FROM A CIGARETTE!!!!

HOW DARE THESE NHL STARS SMOKE WHEN THEY PLAY FOR THE FABLE MONTREAL CANADIENS…

DAGNABBIT ALL!

87. Bill J says:

LOL don’t let Adam see this video!!!

He will go crackers

88. The Cat says:

Not this past world cup but the one before, there was a player (I forget his name) on the trinidad and tobago team that was 40 yrs old and smoked a pack a day, and yes he always played the full 90 minutes usually!!

89. Chorske says:

If Boone is swimming in Maine, then it’s not just the volume of his posts that is going to be reduced. That water is cold.

90. punkster says:

Gee, thanks for that image early on a Sunday morn. EEEuuuwwwww!

FREE TIMO!

Who will be the new faces in the line up after camp this year. ?

And what line or position will the play.?

Include the kids or aquired players that you feel will fill out the remaining roster positions. ?

Total of 23 positions on the roster.

Fan Summit Updates, Click On To Summit Page

92. showey47 says:

I really don’t think anybody from the farm will crack the lineup up front as a regular,unless someone takes darche’s spot making  him the 13th forward. But if someone does i think it’s going to be ryan white solely based on he’s a safe player that martin trusts defensively. To me,there is no point in having a kid sitting when he could be playing big minutes every night in hamilton. I would only make the call up for an extra forward when doing a road trip in case of injury. The same pretty much goes for defence. Picard will probably be the extra D,but i think carle can now  be claimed off waivers if sent down. So based on that carle may actually stick as the extra defenceman instead of picard who has a 2 way deal. Gets real interesting when markov comes back. I’m just hoping martin actually gives obyrne the same length of leash he has gives everybody else on defence for a change.

93. notbigbird says:

Bring Boone back early. Pay him triple time. Give him a bonus. Whatever it takes. We’re dying here.  :)

Dave, I can just see him now, strutting the beach!!

95. Bill J says:

I feel for you and this mental image you carry now…. :(

lol jk just pokin’ fun at Booner :)

96. Psycho29 says:

Did you see that “thoroughbred” Dryden with a drink in his hand? No wonder he never amounted to anything!

:-)

97. showey47 says:

What??? You mean these guys are not programmed to do nothing but train and sleep all year around? I never would have guessed.

98. Bill J says:

LOL – I can hear it now.

“If Dryden didn’t smoke & drink so much in his playing days, he wouldn’t have had to retire 9 seasons into his career” …. blah blah blah blah…

99. Bill J says:

If Picard is the extra D….  Your implying that PK will return to the AHL next season…

With PK there is 7 D in MTL already…

Markov, Spacek, Hamrlik, Gill, Gorges, PK… (O’B as the 7th. who can’t be sent down)

Now granted Picard could be the 7th till Markov returns…

But then Hamilton has 4 or 5 D (I think)…

I think we are in for a surprise yet, trade maybe!

101. Bill J says:

I agree.

vestiaire.ca suggests – two things will happen for the Habs this week.

1. Price will sign.

2. AK46 will go.  I believe a D will go too as part of a package to land a top 6 forward.

102. showey47 says:

Markov is out,PK will never be back in hamilton. It will either be picard or carle fighting for the 7th spot. Both will probably be out once markov is ready to return and barring a trade obyrne will probably be the new 7th man after markov returns if we are healthy. Depending on how things go this year we may see harmlik and gill both moved by the deadline.

103. nunacanadien says:

I wonder what would happen if Price did not sign.  I know other than the happy fans rioting in the streets of course.  Maybe the sun would come back once again to Habsland.

104. nunacanadien says:

Any news on Boyd?  Is he good or is he just another body that takes up cap space, in the Gauthier Pawn shop for washed up prospects and pint sized forwards…..sure sign for a goalie’s rights knowing this goalie ain’t never gonna play in the NHL, only way to get Ramo here is to bring back Sakku Koivu.

105. nunacanadien says:

106. The Cat says:

Mr Stubbs. I saw Paul McCartney in the old Montreal Forum either in the late 80s or early 90s and he did the sweater thing back then, he also dedicated a song to the women that were killed in the university. Hes a real classy guy and he talks to his audience. Best show I ever seen.

107. The Cat says:

My memory is failing me but I think he came out wearing a Quebec Nordiques sweater too at one point during the show, If you really need a picture, just trick Danny Briere into wearing a habs sweater lol

How things have changed over the years. This clip shows the era of long hair, sideburns, cigarettes, booze and loud jackets.

The one that is disappearing in society the most thank goodness is the cigarettes. I hardly know anyone that smokes around here anymore. But in Quebec, they have a long way to go. As a former smoker, I really notice it when I go back to Montreal.

109. notbigbird says:

Without trying to make a list, I probably recognized more of them than the present team — one problem with helmets. I had forgotten about Gilles Tremblay, but I might have seen him. And was Claude Larose with the team then? Lots of Jacques Laperierre who seemed to show up more than most. I wonder if sideburns will ever make a comeback?