Did the Canadiens play in New York Friday night?

CallahanPrice
The last-place team played the Eastern Conference leader, with predictable results.
Except your Montreal Canadiens beat the Rangers twice this season.
And one might have expected a better effort after major off-ice changes.
Oh, well.
Lottery draft pick, baby!

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Hickey on Ryan McDonagh

Pacioretty gets historic puck

Jack Todd on Geoff Molson’s message

Red Fisher on the surging Sabres

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

Marc De Foy makes the case for Julien Brisebois

Pierre Gauthier’s Ottawa days

The Philadelphia Ice Girls

1. PeterD says:

A couple of weeks ago I watched the movie “Moneyball”…good movie if you haven’t seen it.
    But at one point inthe movie I swear I started feelinglike I was watching the executives of the Habs and how they have been picking hockey players based on obscure statisitices versus a clear rational assessment of talent.
    Like one scene where the GM is telling the highest paid aging star player ($7.5 M/season…sounds like a Gomez)…he’s telling the guy “that he is not paying you for the skills you used to have, but what you can bring to the team now…leadership in the dressing room”…At that moment I almost crapped myself with the parallels bwteen what was going on in the movie and what has been going on with the Habs…
    Really…I can see Gauthier and Gainey looking at players and saying…”Look Kaberle may not be perfoming over on that ohter team, and his contract is high and he is weak at even strength, BUT he gets points on teh Power Play …so lets get him for that…just the power play stats…we can manage the rest”…
    And Gomez…”Hey he sure costs a lot but he’s a play maker and we can get other UFA’s to come over to play with him” (Of course we know how that worked out…)…and of course there is Bourque…”hey he is a head case and shows a lack of motivation but look at his record over the long term…he puts up points and goals like Cammallarri and he’s big and string so we increase our size and get back comparable stats to Cammi…we can work with the attitude thing”

God, a good movie that Moneyball and I recommend you all watch it if you haven’t already and watch for any similarities to recent Habs Management behaviour over the past few years…but as for the theory behind the book…get it the hell out of the Habs front office and go back to the tried and true way to build a winning team…hockey people assessing hockey talent and making sound hockey based decisions not based on theories based in obscure statisttcs.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Peter, it seems like you missed the entire point of the movie and the book. Baseball people were using sound baseball based decisions and the tried and true way to build baseball teams and draft players and doing a mediocre job of it. Billy Beane came along and showed that some player stats and characteristics were overvalued and some were undervalued, and used that to his advantage to scoop up good players nobody wanted. Since then, stats like batting average have fallen out of favour and others like slugging percentage have come to the fore since it has closer relationship to wins. In essence, Michael Lewis demonstrates in his book on Billy Bean and his Moneyball principles that the old school, tried and true method of doing business in baseball was not the best method.

Another point is you assume that the Canadiens were somehow using new theories of player selection and team building, and this is based entirely on your conjecture, which I thought you were doing in a humourous fashion at first. You have no evidence that the Canadiens were using ‘Moneypuck’ metrics or that these caused our team to fall on hard times.

Interestingly, Brian Burke recently gave a speech wherein he stated that they have been searching high and low for these magic bullets, these over and undervalued metrics and market inefficiencies in hockey, and none have been found. Of course, if he has found any, he wouldn’t tell the rest of the hockey world. Billy Beane sure regrets that his method was disseminated and didn’t serve as a competitive advantage for his team as it once did.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

2. PeterD says:

Lottery Pick baby…

And…

Ice Girls at the Bell…their time has come.

3. Whatever says:

I have no basis for this, but for some reason I swear Gainey messed up during the Gomez trade and confused McDonagh with David Fischer. There was absolutely no reason to “throw him in”. It would make more sense.

4. nova scotia vees says:

So Boone, you have a website that invites comments….BUT you disparage people who hold a different opinion than your own…NICE,
    How insulting to say that those of us who are not Price fans, are “contaminating” your site. Perhaps you would like us to just go away and then you can all sing from the same songbook.
    It has nothing to do with the departure of Halak. He’s gone and Ken Hitchcock is happy to have him.
    In my case, my dislike of Price comes from years of experience covering hockey, including the “76 Canada Cup and 10 years of the N.S. Vees, and numberous other levels of hockey(Major Junior, CIS, and lower levels). I have the right to express my opinion that he is over-rated. I hope you Price-lovers turn out to be right and that he BECOMES a great goal-tender. Perhaps in future you could simply dismiss my comments without insulting me and like minded people, in the process.

5. Un Canadien errant says:

As the Canadiens sift through a long list of potential candidates for their General Manager vacancy, there are a few trains of thought that can be seen in the fans.

One is the repetitive, reflexive assertion that they should hire ‘the best man available regardless of language’, in the face of these candidates’ remarkable résumés and previous achievements. We find in the most likely candidates that two have shown the intellectual ability to obtain a law degree. A few are currently Assistant General Managers for other teams. A couple have intimate knowledge of the Collective Bargaining Agreement through their roles as NHLPA executives or as a player agent. All of them have shown talent and dedication by ascending the echelons of their profession, and at least some of the required qualifications and traits necessary to succeed as a GM.

Somehow these candidates don’t satisfy the absolutists, who still feel that the team is hampering itself with an arbitrary and irrelevant language requirement, and that there are some clearly better candidates out there who will be shut out of the process because they are unilingual. When pressed to produce these budding Sam Pollocks and Bill Torreys lost in the wilderness, a few names are offered, but none that seem clearly more worthy of an interview than any of the names punted about, save for maybe Jim Nill.

Conversely, this faction discounts as meaningless or worthless the candidates’ knowledge of the team’s history and local market and the ability to communicate with its fans.

Another apparent misunderstanding is how the recruiting process is conducted, either generally or in the hockey world. Usually, a wide net is cast to review as many résumés and evaluate as many candidates as possible. Through various hurdles or benchmarks most are eliminated until a short list is drawn up, and these candidates get interviewed to evaluate their skills, personal abilities and potential fit within the organization. The interviewer or interview panel then may select a candidate, or maybe select a couple of finalists for another round of interviews if they are seen as being ‘neck and neck’, to allow for another opportunity to differentiate them.

In the end the person that is hired is sometimes clearly the best candidate and best fit, but most often there are a few candidates who would be suitable and the decision is a judgment call. It’s not as if one candidate scores an 89 and everyone else is in the 60′s and 70′s, it’s never that objective or clear cut. You end up having one candidate who impresses with her energy and enthusiasm and original ideas, and another who shows great experience and judgment and an impressive track record, and have to choose between the two.

If the choice was so obvious, if interviews were objective and categorical and not open to bias and error, there wouldn’t be any dismissals. People would be hired into jobs and perform well in that role until promoted or recruited somewhere else. This is obviously not the case. Candidates are misevaluated or end up underperforming all the time. The best you can do is find a group of candidates who fit the profile and meet all the basic requirements and most of the preferred requirements, and then do your best and hope you come up with the right choice.

One of the more common errors, however, is to not winnow down your list and interview everyone. In these situations you end up with a lot of candidates that blend into a mishmash in the interview panel’s mind. Those that were interviewed earlier in the process tend to fade from memory. The very first candidates and the ones who met the panel more recently tend to stand out in the panel’s mind, at the expense of worthy but unlucky candidates scheduled in the long boring middle of the pack.

I remember going over candidate selection methods in a university industrial psychology course, and learning that none of them are foolproof. Interestingly, the one which recruiters or executives tend to prize the most, the interview, is one of the least accurate selection methods based on the retention rate of hirees, yet is the one that is most relied on and is the one that executives swear by. Studies demonstrated that a process which relied exclusively on résumé review and background and reference checks was a more effective way to find the right candidate than one which included an interview process. Still, it is almost impossible to convince an employer to hire a candidate without meeting them first in an interview.

Interestingly, the most effective way to select a candidate is the realistic job preview, where a candidate or group of candidates are put in the workplace and perform the duties required of them, or as near as is possible, and are evaluated thus. The realistic job preview consistently proves to be the best selection method, in that the candidate can evaluate whether the job and workplace is the right environment for herself, the potential coworkers can offer feedback to the recruiters, and the recruiters can see how the candidates perform. Practically, this selection method is hard to use in most settings, as there are problems with allowing candidates to do ‘real work’. In some fields however, such as policing or the fire service or the military, cadet programs and ride-along programs serve this function and show great results.

In our case, candidates such as Marc Bergevin, Claude Loiselle and Julien Brisebois are already on their realistic job previews, in that they are performing in an Assistant GM role and can be evaluated on how they are performing in as near a position as we can come up with. Francois Giguère actually performed in the GM role and has a track record. All that would remain in their case would be to evaluate their fit within the organization.

Which brings us to another train of thought that is puzzling, which is that somehow Pierre McGuire is one of the candidates who deserves serious consideration for the position. While Mr. McGuire is an energetic broadcaster and a likable individual, he performed very poorly in an Assistant GM position with the Hartford Whalers, and has been out of the management ranks for more than a decade. If his résumé is reviewed against some of the other candidates that are bandied about, his shouldn’t even make it on the short list pile.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Bill says:

I remember learning that job interviews are highly unreliable. Another interesting point is that employers tend to evaluate the people they hire more highly than those they don’t, even after a rejected candidate goes on to greater success with another organization: “confirmation bias” and “belief perseverance”. I think this nicely explains why Brian Burke still has a job, and why Scott Gomez continued to get big ice-time long after he stopped being useful.

The language issue comes up whenever it is perceived that the Habs have made a choice for anything other than hockey-related reasons: I remain unconvinced after all these years that Jacques Martin was the best coaching choice the Habs could have made when they hired him. But I cannot prove that. And it MUST be noted that there were many who chirped about the hirings of Julien and Vigneault being strictly political: the success of both of those coaches proves they were wrong. I think it also proves the value of experience, but that’s another debate.

On the other hand, when the Habs hire a clearly superior Francophone talent, I don’t hear a lot of complaints. Remember when every Habs fan from coast to coast was clamoring for the Habs to hire Guy Boucher? Likewise, plenty of fans right now – the same ones who sometimes complain about the language thing – are dying to see Patrick Roy as the next head coach. So it’s not a cut-and-dried anti-French thing, either.

To your main point, I agree that right now there are no candidates who are clearly superior to Bergevin, Loiselle, or Brisebois. Jim Nill and Dave Nonis have good resumés as well, but nothing to rank them ahead of the aforementioned trio. So I don’t expect to hear much complaining – certainly not from anyone serious – when one of them is selected as GM.

My own preference is for Bergevin, but that is only based on his stature and role within a very well-run organization, as well as his professional hockey experience as a player. I, like the rest of us for the most part, have nothing else to go on.

My feeling is that Brisebois has the inside track, however. He has experience with the Habs but isn’t really tainted by association with the Gainey regime because he left it. Loiselle has good credentials, but he works for a terrible organization; not his fault, sure, but it doesn’t help his candidacy.

I’d be happy with any one of them. Also with Nill or Nonis.

McGuire clearly does not have the credentials, experience, or track record of the rest of the field. He’s a media guy with media friends who are pumping him up: as such he’s a media candidate. Some say, “Hey Scotty Bowman said on the radio that McGuire would be a good choice.” They’re friends. If you asked me on the radio if I thought MY friend would be good for a job he really wants I’d probably say he’d be good too. But I wouldn’t hire him for it. And neither did Scotty.

Full Breezer 4 Life

6. RonC says:

I really enjoyed that You Tube segment on Jean Beliveau….I first became a Hab fan in 1957..watching Montreal in the playoffs. I was in the military watching them play in a TV lounge, where most of the people watching were booing them & calling them names, which I won’t mention. I was a Cape Bretoner & up until then not really into hockey. The player at that time & ever since that impressed me the most was Jean Beliveau…his quiet attitude & his always saying good things about his opponents & his obvious skill & the ease of his skating. When he retired I thought I was through cheering for the Canadiens…but not to be…once a Hab fan…always a Hab fan. Have a good day!!

Winnipeg Habsfan

7. The Dude says:

I foresee another last place finish next season and perhaps the season after that and that’s with the right G.M. and Coach in place. Why? cause as by our record”the fans who think we’re better than our record are NUTS!” the Habs are basically an AHL team and not much better!I don’t even think this Habs team is the best AHL team “4th best,lol”so it’s not Tanking ….it’s reality! You ‘ll see a different team for sure next year and I’ll be surprised if Price is on it “trade bait ,new 5 year plan”so buckle up and take it easy on each other cause the Realistic fans are the flavor of the day….

8. habsfan0 says:

What other rudimentary changes should the Habs make in time for next season?

Personally, I’d like to see them get rid of that earache inducing VIA train horn that blasts every time the team scores a goal.

In its place, every time a Canadien scores, play Barry White’s: “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love Baby”

9. Habsrule1 says:

Ok, for those who are not aware:
    McGuire has not worked in the NHL much by his own choice. He has been offered at least one very good position with Pittsburgh that he turned down and Chuck Fletcher took instead. He then lost out to only Fletcher for the GM job in Minnesota, perhaps due to the experience of the very job he turned down.
    Having interviews for a GM job and not getting it (especially being in the final 2) is NOT a failure! Wake up people! How many people get these interviews? A handful. The fact that he has been out of an NHL job for so long, but still considered is an unbeleivable statement to how much he knows and how well respected he is!
    He will likely get an interview with Montreal, and if he says the right things and has the vision Molson is looking for, he should be hired.
    Point finale!

Go Habs Go!!

Suddenly I feel much better about myself, turns out all those failed interviews were good!!!

• habstrinifan says:

There is an exception to every rule though.

• HabFab says:

Creepers! I see another Halak Price thing starting with this… “sigh”

• Habsrule1 says:

Either you are too young to understand or you’re just acting it, but I’ve interviewed for jobs that I didn’t get where I felt fine afterwards. At times someone has just one small quality that you don’t or the margin was very small. Losing out on a high profile job is not proof that you can’t do the job.
        Even more to the point here, if you got an interview for a job like an NHL GM I think everyone you know, and many you don’t would feel you deserve respect for even being considered….even if you were the first person told you didn’t get it. We’re not tallking about an interview to become a Walmart greeter here.
        Pretty sad that I have to explain that, but there’s no minimum age requirement for the site so I guess it’s cool.

Go Habs Go!!

Oh I am just having some fun, trying to poke holes in your argument is all. :)

P.S. I wish I could use age as an excuse for my behaviour sometimes, but that won’t fly.

• Habsrule1 says:

That’s it….get me going lol
            I just hope everyone gets a fair shake and they hire the best man for the job.

Go Habs Go!!

• boing007 says:

It appears that there is a gender requirement for the post of Habs GM. Only men need apply. N’est-ce pas?

Richard R

• kirkiswork says:

I certainly hope that doesn’t happen.

@HafFab, thanks that was a cool video/song/chant you sent. Wonderful, just sent it off to the family back home. CHeers Frank!

• HabFab says:

Glad you made it back. Was getting worried as some hairy gorilla was chasing you when you left! Are you all right? Didn’t catch you I hope….sorry it is all right if you don’t want to talk about it!

Yah everything is fine, he is golfing in my front yard now as we speak, just hope he doesn’t ruin my new irons. He is quite a funny gorrilla I must say, and a big Hab fan.

11. montrealtilldeath says:

Michael Ryder: 35 goals plus 21. Kostitsyn will do the same thing. The man is an introvert. All he ever needed was a coach who understands this type of personality and work with him from this position. Look at how much the Hurricanes have improved under Muller. Again we let some one get away. Maybe the bleeding will stop with Savard.

12. Holyirishman says:

Any news on the Markov Injury ???????

Is this the end…….. my only friend the end?!

___________________________________________________________
    Hockey / Hurling……. they’re not all that different!

13. habsfan0 says:

Re: “The Philadelphia Ice Girls”

Very nice!

Didn’t realize leg warmers were back in vogue, though.

Not that I’m complaining.

14. habstrinifan says:

Anyone read the Scanlan article on Pierre Gauthier’s Ottawa days. Interesting!

I am told that Pierre McGuire will be doing the rebuttal.

• Curious article…. sounds like a completely different guy what with Kaberle, Bourque, Cammy, Gomez (although that was Gainey). He may have tried to make his mark, but his standoffishness and contempt that may have played well during his Disney days, didn’t play well here. Some good trades in Ottawa, but overall here, the exact opposite. That’s why hiring for such an important position is filled with land-mines, you just never know, unless you bring in Ken Holland, who isn’t available. Look at Julien though, almost fired two years ago and then they win the cup. Go figure?

• neumann103 says:

Actually pretty interesting. I really didn’t know much about the detail of his previous tenures, but if I had know this in advance, I might have liked him more:

In Ottawa, Gauthier bristled at the sight of all those trendy big digits on the Senators’ jerseys. Radek Bonk wore 76. Alex Daigle was 91. Stan Neckar was 94. Not for long. In 1997, by Gauthier’s decree, they found slightly more traditional numbers, and so Bonk became 14, Daigle switched to 9 and Neckar 24.

Damned punk kids today and their fancy high falutin’ numbers!

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Gauthier+goes/6389821/story.html#ixzz1qiGUpMka

“Et le but!”

15. HabFab says:

Oh! This does not look good for the Tankers, looks like the boyz have finally figured it out… or not!

• I wonder if that was really Eller or his response cleaned up. SOunds very eloquent for a dane speaking a second third language. Like the kid. Hope we let him grow.

• HabFab says:

He was on the video replays saying how much he hated losing and you would have to listen closely to pick up an accent.

• neumann103 says:

His English is really good and even his command of idiom is solid. There was the one issue where I think he didn’t really understand the context of when some four English letter words are deployed in polite company, but even that was a breath of fresh air.

He is a smart smart kid. His intelligence is one of the main reasons I have confidence he will grow. He is going to be very good if the Habs don’t ruin him.

“Et le but!”

16. habsfan0 says:

Where does Youppi! fit in the new scheme of things?

Does Youppi’s salary count against the cap?

Tossed and turned last night thinking about this one.

17. Forgot to add Andre Savard and Pierre Lacroix to prospective GM candidates.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

Apparantly Pierre Lacroix’s health is not such that he could take on GM duties. He is doing fine, but the stress of such a job would be an issue. Heard this on radio yesterday in Toronto of all place.. (as spits on ground at mention of hogtown).

18. habstrinifan says:

Jack Todd heaps too much praise on Geoff Molson. I am not saying the writing is bad. But really all Geoff has done is dismiss Gauthier.

We will see what Geoff Molson is made of when he makes his GM decision.

This is one he will have to stand alone. May have to go against strong advice from Savard… I say may I do not know. May have to go against public opinion. May have to face the language backlash. May have to say NO to a former classmate.

I will hold my judgemnet until after he comes to the podium and tell us his decision with a thorough and informative analysis as to why he chose that person and what steps he (and the new GM) takes to quell any furor and convince the fan, media and players of the soundness of his choice.

Then we will know if he is worthy of the type of praise Todd is heaping on him.

• Frankly, he let PG make the Kaberle trade, Ship Cammy (who knows why he said what he did), keep Gomez playing, do the Markov deal… shall I go on? Molson’s skillset looks like he missed many opportunities to stop the bleeding, but let it go on too long and now we have over $16 plus million of real deadwood in contracts and more, no coaching staff, half a team. As I think about it, who’s fault is that all? Just PG?

• twocents says:

Your premise assumes an owner should approve every move the GM makes. In the case of good organizations that is not the way it works. When signing contracts, sure. But, hockey decisions should be made by hockey people, not the very rich fan who owns the team.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Geoff Molson, to be an effective owner, had to let Mr. Gauthier operate or relieve him of his duties. A GM has to have the authority to make decisions, and the owner has to support him. That’s their roles. When an owner begins to question the GM’s decisions, he either relieves him or trusts him, since the GM is in place to make these hockey decisions.

To micromanage him and oversee every move is what George Steinbrenner would have done.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

19. JohnBellyful says:

All prospective GM candidates should face a To Tell the Truth panel and have to answer questions like:
    1. Name at least six players on the team now who shouldn’t be there next September and say how you would replace them?
    2. At what cost would you resign Price and Subban and for how long?
    3. What’s to become of Gomez?
    4. Do you have a system? If so, can you find your way back out?
    5. Is it possible to win and still be exciting?
    6. Enumerate the current strengths of the Canadiens (bonus points if use more than one hand)
    7. Who do you like as the next coach?
    8. Name all players under contract to the Canadiens
    9. What’s your opinion of the news media? Should they be waterboarded or horsewhipped?
    10. What do you think of Molson Export?

• Only six players? That’s easy!

• ont fan says:

How many of the current players will be on the team 2 years from now?

• habstrinifan says:

I hope you are being serious John because I think those questions should be asked in the interview. Well maybe except the last two. On 2nd thought… just keep #9 to see if the candidate harbours hidden attraction to torture as a motivating tool and #10 to see if the candidate knows how to brown-nose under stress.

• JohnBellyful says:

I believe the NHL doesn’t allow for incentives to be built into contracts but as far as I know the CBA doesn’t prohibit the torture of players as a means of improving productivity. Question No. 9, as you have astutely interpreted, is designed to get a sense of what measures the GM candidate is prepared to undertake to improve the lines of communication, beginning with the media, methods which, once perfected, will ultimately be applied to the players.

• otter649 says:

McGuire has been answering most of these questions for awhile now on TSN990…….lol

• habsgod says:

that’s something pierre macguire can and would do he’d probably be able to do that in his sleep,plus he’d be able to tell you about all the habs prospects their strenght’s and weaknesses and he’d be able to do that with every teams players and prospects ljust like scotty bowman can do!

• JohnBellyful says:

I am prepared to concede that McGuire has many strengths — I’ll get back to you on that — but whether they translate into general managerial material is something altogether different. If he were chosen to replace Gauthier, I would hope he would continue to operate in the space between the two teams, to maintain his iceroots knowledge of the game.

Very fair, well done John, I see you have found another good plan. I hope this one comes together ;-)

• JohnBellyful says:

Burl’, ALL my plans come together. Some later than others, some in my mind, some in a parallel universe where I rule supreme (and, coincidentally, the Canadiens are headed into the playoffs 3-1 favourites to win their 32nd straight Stanley Cup. It would have been 41st but the league suspended operations during that bit of unpleasantness with the Tomorghj Dynasty from the Fourth Quandrant).

Someday I must visit you in that universe, it sounds good aside from the pesky Tomorghj Dynasty folks.

• HabFab says:

Heck didn’t realize that Sheldon was a Hab fan! Heh, how are things going in Sheldore??

• JohnBellyful says:

You’re mistaken, sir. Sheldore is no Bellyfularnia.
            Sheldore is NoMore, in fact, having foolishly sided with the Tomorghj Dynasty in that nasty business that ended in the destruction of seven planets and the value of RIM shares rising thousandfold.
            Now, puhleeze, can we move on to more important subjects. Did we ever decide who is better, Halak or Price? (Don’t ask the Halakians. They’rea pretty obstinate bunch and I still haven’t figured what planet they’re from.)

20. Beyond Pierre (Microphone) McGuire, Patrick (F**k’in) Roy and Damph. as front runners, here is a list from Various sources. Which ones should be in the front including LaCarriere?

Julien Brisebois
    Pierre McGuire
    Pat Brisson
    Claude Loiselle
    Francois Giguere
    Doug Risebrough
    Carbo (I don’t see that as real considering any past reps< although I'd take Julien back)
    Marc Bergevin
    Dave Nonis
    Craig Patrick
    Dough MacLean
    Mike Keenan (right)
    Brian Lawton (believe it or not he was mentioned)
    Brett Hull (ridiculous)
    Jacques Martin (he's being paid anyways and some are even questioning his firing. Really? His system was stifling!)
    Allan Walsh (agent)
    Rick DiPietro

Some have even put forth names like Crawford which are huge long-shots. Can some of these folks be combined? I hope so as the top few have some talent in scouting, law, cap understanding and that is what we need to rebuild. Did I miss anyone?

• ont fan says:

Brisebois,Loiselle, Bergevin,Brisson ….no alumni please

• HabFab says:

Rick DiPietro?

Now what is my prize??

• SuperHabFan says:

One thing I do like about McGuire is that he praises transparency and surrounding himself with the BEST possible people to help him succeed. Im sure he knows more than enough people who would come over here with him, I question that with someone like Damphousse. Heck, Scottie bowman has his back! Get him (scottie) in here in some capacity to be an advisor. He’s been doing it with detroit and Chicago!

• Scotty’s 78 and I can’t imagine he is up on the Cap/CBA style of managing. It is an extensive list and there are 6 or so other names, some dark horse candidates and I’m sure it isn’t going to be easy for Molson. Some of these candidates are well qualified but you never know how a hire in such a public spot-light will perform. I don’t envy Molson.

21. Mikey_39 says:

Didn’t get to watch the game yesterday cuz I got screwed over by the NHL CenterICe. Honestly it’s really not worth the money. Time to find a better alternative.

Anyways. What happened with Markov? He got hit?

• More like tapped. He and Emelin are not the Russian bears they used to be. Emelin is now scared to check as he’s being challenged to fight and his face plates won’t let him. Shame, he looked like a wall when he was checking. As for Markov, I’ve had knee surgery twice and it is extremely difficult not to favor the injured knee. Seems like he’ll need to go all out and throw caution to the wind and we’ll be eating the $5 million gift PG gave him at the beginning of the season.

22. Dulljerk says:

The “hit” on Markov in NYC was a sad statement on this once very good defenceman. To see the look of horror in his eyes, tells me everything I need to know about his fear factor regarding his knees. This was not a hard hit, nor a dirty hit. It was nothing more than an incidental love tap. Maybe it’s time for Markov to evaluate his future in professional hockey and whether he is up to it.

“Price ain’t as good as he thinks.”

• Still a very fragile team.

• ont fan says:

All i can say about markov is it will take time for him to believe the knee will hold up.

• Ian Cobb says:

I just wonder if the new GM will move Markov for what ever he can get for him. But if he is damaged goods, we will be stuck to pay the bill for two more unproductive years.

Maybe by next season his legs will stand up, but who knows? So if someone wanted him, I think he goes quickly!

• Agree. One of PG’s legacy contracts. Imagine, $7.3 mil for Gomez, $4.3 mil for Kaberle, Markov makes it a cap hit of $16 million for three players. Oy!

• Habfan10912 says:

Ian, here’s my thought. If there is an amnesty in the new CBA its used to release Gomez . Kabrele should come next on the purge list. Don’t you think Markov should be given at least a half season before we give up on him? The club is not going to be a cup contender next year anyway. I am afraid that this is going to take some time and Markov is down the list of what needs to be fixed. Hopefully, the days of knee jerk reactive decisions ate over and the new administration will have a plan and stick to it.

• twocents says:

If his knee holds up he’ll be worth every penny of his contract. Even at a low percentage of his full potential his skills and decision making have been obviously superior to every other defencemen, with the exception of Subban in the skills department.

In the context of contracts like Phaneuf’s, Bouwmeester’s, and Redden’s, 5.75 ain’t that much for what he brings.

Very few players can do the things he does on D.

• HabFab says:

Not a lot of believers left in Habville!

• twocents says:

Tell me about it, Frank. Holy schmokes! A little adversity and people want to panic and dump some of the assets that are actually strengths.

I sure hope the new GM can tune out the drone, but Molson and Savard’s comments sure seem to hint at pleasing the masses.

We all know what Pollock thought of that mug’s game.

To be successful you have to be a step ahead of the other GM’s and about ten ahead of the fans. If fans are clamoring for something it’s typically based on things that are obvious to everyone and so can’t be played to any advantage.

Good GM’s make decisions based on knowledge few have, and fans have the least of all.

• twocents says:

Ah… don’t you think it might take a little while and a few hits before he feels right… you know, nearly two whole seasons off the ice, it can take a while to get full confidence back. Are you sure your handle shouldn’t be kneejerk?

• Ian Cobb says:

I like how he is only playing the PP and a few shifts! It will take until next season to know if his legs are sound. It will be great if he can play as before Eric!

• Mark C says:

What are you talking about? Cunneyworth has already said Markov wasn’t hurt and should play tonight. He shouldn’t have to reevaluate this career because of a Charlie horse.

23. RGM says:

Eight days from now it’ll be all over and we can start talking about next year. Or we can get the jump on it (might as well follow Mr. Molson’s cue and be pro-active) and do it now. No sense dredging up the past.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

24. habstrinifan says:

Watching the last two games I dont know which person will have the harder job… the new coach or the new GM.

I have to believe that what we are seeing is due to the ‘playing out the season’ syndrome.

Everyone looked horrible last night… I remember the year (is my recollection wrong?) when we brought(from junior and college) up Chelios, Richer, Momesso, Lemieux near the end of the season. It was exciting!

Wish we could bring up someone from the farm who sparkles.

25. Oops, Scotty Bowman is 78. Love his body of work, but a little too late to bring him in to save the organization. Same discussion for 66 year old Savard. Some pundits are very negative on him, despite his time as GM being generally successful with two Cups. IMO as an adviser, he is just great, but in a similar capacity as Gainey, not necessary. We do need professionals with insights and knowledge of the cap era, great scouting (Timmins may be good, but we don’t have the Euro scouting chops that Detroit has and look at their 21 year playoffs run). No coaching staff as we’ve dug out and tossed three sets in the last three years. I’m not optimistic for 2012-2013. Maybe by 2016 when some of our 7 picks will have matured. ‘Til then, hockey won’t be a priority.

• Mark C says:

Montreal has a great Euro scout now in Christer Rockstrom. He was Detroit’s Euro scout, who recommended Hakan Andersson, before moving on to the Rangers.

26. Mr. Biter says:

Hell has frozen over. I agree with a Todd article. Must be getting senile.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

27. mike3131 says:

To the Halakites:

I will start to worry if Price falters with a team like St. Louis in front of him. Plus, he is looking to negotiate the first long term contract of his career while playing in games that mean jack $#!t – so wait until we have a winning team and THEN start criticizing his play. It is a given that Price will be in our net for YEARS to come, so if you would rather have Halak, go cheer for St. Louis!

28. boonie says:

Could we figure out how to have Scotty bowman involved in our next phase?

A winner virtually everywhere he’s been – here, chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit… Even his stops in St.Louis and buffalo were great albeit short of a cup win.

Do whatever it takes to let him end his career here… Money, title, succession for his son, renaming the team, percent of ownership, keys to the city…

• That would be a very classy thing to do, but I don’t think the organization has it in them at this point. It’s been carpet bombed the whole year. With no GM, no coaching staff (Pern, Martin, Cunnyworth, all gone, not to mention the Habs supplying not only players who can breathe out of the intense light of Montreal media and fansbase, consider Julien, Carolina and Tampa with our ex coaches)

29. Mattyleg says:

Morning everyone!
    Hope Saturday is treating everyone kindly.
    I’ve got to work all goddamn weekend, so I’m available for pity compliments and deliveries of food, beverages and “company”. If you know what I mean. And I mean high-class female escorts. Don’t tell my girlfriend.

Last night: Loved the fact that Bourque scored during the New Yorkers’ lame Olé olé singing. Now they know what happens when anyone sings that.

Today: I’m getting awful tired of listening to journalists bitch and moan about how little information they get/got from Habs head office. Boo-freakin’-hoo. They make it sound like talking to them is a prerequesite for being a decent GM/Coach/Whatever.
    Newsflash for journalists: It’s not.
    But your non-stop bellyaching about it makes weaker-minded people side with you and then WE have to deal with them here.

Quiddit!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. habstrinifan says:

I try very hard to appreciate every poster’s point of view. And it is to be expected that in the debate concerning who should be the next GM/ASST there are many pros and cons for each candidate.

But to sum up your arguments as to why you like or dislike a candidate with otoise ad-hominems shows a lazy and unimportant mind.

The post, pasted below, uses the maliciousness of Thrasos to put down McGuire and Damphouse.

The poster is either a person of acclaimed efficacy or vainglorious boorishess. Indeed some posters do chatter and some do something else.

Poster New: re McGuire AND Damphousse.

March 31, 2012 at 9:52 am

I think it is important to remember that media personalities chatter to fans while hockey executives don’t. So we listen to Damphousse or McGuire and forget they are entertaining us. The real GM has to do something else.

• Mattyleg says:

Very (if somewhat overzealously) eloquently put.

However, I agree with New, and I don’t think he’s being malicious, he’s saying that McGuire and Damphousse are media celebrities, and as such, their strength is getting us on their side and causing us, through their media-styled personalities, to agree with them.

When we do that, we start to think that they are the most hockey-savvy people around, much like how many people think the same thing of Don Cherry.

All of this has no bearing on how good they would be as a GM, however.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

I’m not saying I would not want Damphousse in the Habs organization, but the problem with him as GM is he has never done anything similar. I really don’t care if he runs a business or two on the side. It is not the same thing.
        Promoting him as GM simply because he gives a good interview on tv is a little wacky.

• habstrinifan says:

If he had said that I would have listened!

I am not sure what many of those words mean, but my arguments for not hiring McGuire is quite simple, he has zero qualifcations of merit. Failed as a coach (brief time), failed as a GM (brief time), never played at the NHL level as a player, never coached successfully in the AHL or NHL, was never rehired in any capacity by an NHL team since his “scouting” days with Pittsburgh, nor has he ever shown the willingness to put in the hard work in the AHL etc.. in order to make him worthy of being an NHL GM.

He is TV analyst, nothing more nothing less. Oh yah, I also find him extremely annoying. ;-)

Here is a link to all his coaching successes….

• New says:

I am sorry the post bothered you as that was not my intent. Is this Youppi?

31. L Elle says:

Several years ago I didn’t get a job because I was told, “We prefer a francophone who speaks English than an anglophone who speaks French.”

No problem because the job I did get, my present one, is MUCH more fun at twice the salary. hehe

McGuire is not going to get this job.

But in this instance, French is really not the issue. There are some fantastic candidates out there who are originally from Quebec and extremely capable to do the job. e.g. Marc Bergevin.

32. CF says:

I just had to come on here and say I’m completely over Markov. If he could have returned in Oct and played well, that would have been great. But to see him limp off after a little knock last night was just, ……..I don’t even know, makes me feel ill.

What a disaster he has been since the injuries. It’s not his fault, he’s a good guy who simply has gone thru hell to get back.

But here’s the thing. I know, I know, it’s only been a couple of weeks, and after not playing for two years…….but, he’s done. You can’t play if you can’t hit, and you can’t play if you can’t get hit. Nobody should get paid 5 million to run a powerplay who can’t shoot. Were not fooling anyone. I’m cheering for losses right now. Because if anyone thinks that finishing anything but 29th is a good thing, they are sadly misguided fools.

Kaberle sadly, is a better bet right now than Markov.
    And Kaberle must go.
    Gomez can’t play anymore, stop the insanity.
    Someone has to sit down with Bourque, what the hell dude.
    Price still lets in weak goals, but it must be hard to be motivated at this point in this season.
    We need the second overall pick. Toronto should be charged with tampering after simply giving up to save Burke’s job with a high pick.

Anyhow, new GM, new Coach, two tough D men to replace Kaberle and Markov, and two new forwards, one being a big center to replace Gomez, the other Parise.

• habstrinifan says:

You may be righ tre Markov. It looks like the new GM has another headache to deal with… how to assess Markov’s future and make alternate plans if necessary.

• Your right on, ‘cept some of the hard-core policemen on HIO would cap you for saying anything against Markov and Pricey. Unfortunately, Price is Good now, not great. He does let in weak goals because he plays too many games and still needs some developing just as all players do. While he seems to have gotten his head under control after sitting behind Halak a couple of years ago, his defenseman have done him no favors, basically letting people walk into the zone, screen him, toss him around in his crease. You name it. Can he be great? Sure with the right defense and keeping shots to the outsite along with protecting him, yeah. So there is more work to do than just two defensman. Markov hasn’t recovered like Max has. Shame as he was solid. He may be similarly handicapped like Emelin who hasn’t been checking like he was mid-season and that got fans excited. You can see the progression of this team. They are completely defeated and will need all of the changes to reinvigorate them and it won’t be a one year turnaround as we’ll have to bit the bullet and groom the younger kids from Hamilton, not take them up and down through the whole season. One reason Plekanec has sucked, with no partners to play with consistently. Terrible mess all around, but there is a core of very good players to build around and hopefully, whoever the new GM will be, will bring the class back and eat steak. PG destroyed this team and unfortunately Gainey had a big part in it. I said that a few days ago and was ripped by a regular fool who couldn’t differentiate between what he did on the ice and behind the desk. So suck it up Habs fans, I’ve been religiously watching and cheering for this team since the 60′s. i used to get winded watching the likes of the Pocket Rocket, Lafleur, Robinson, Savard… you name it, we had dozens of players that were truly heros. The last 20 years. A handful and they were treated like cr..p. If we keep King Cole, Max-Pac, Subban, Carey, Gorges (who isn’t great people, let’s just admit it. We need a puck moving defenseman with sets of balls. He’s good, bottom 6), hopefully Emelin will bring his checking back, Plekanec has talent and should be given the benefit, DD, makes things happen for a small guy and we need to keep White and Staubitz to protect him and others, Lars will be good with some meat on him, Gionta, small but has hands, keep for now, too many pieces to add in without sending out the talent we have. St. Denis … maybe, too small but has good hockey sense. That makes up half a roster. Ouch… the rest are fodder
      Now for the I don’t knows, LL (Just because he’s a Quebecer? Who cares. He looks promising, but needs development in Hamilton), same for Diaz. A lot of work and one draft won’t do it. It’ll take all of our 7 picks and two more years after that, so folks, 2016 looks like we’ll be competing for the cup. Until then, I’ll be focusing on my work, paying for this stuff insults the memories of the 60′s-80′s.

33. TorontoHabsFan says:

In other news, is it just me or is it kind of crazy that Pierre Turgeon never seems to be in the HOF discussion?

1327 pts
    515 goals
    1.02 PPG (with the bulk of his career played in the trap era)

What gives?

• neumann103 says:

Turgeon is probably one of the most underrated players of his era. I know because I underrate him. I can see how he gets overlooked.

But it seems that the Dino Ciccarelli rule should apply. The rule states

HHoF Eligibility 13.7: Dino Ciccarelli Rule.
      13.7 a) “If Dino Ciccarelli is in the freaking Hall of Fame then ______ ________ damn well deserves a spot, FFS!”

“Et le but!”

34. habstrinifan says:

Thank you is Vassilios Bantourakis! Nice treat for us HIO addicts.

I like the panelists observation as to how quiet (refined) Beliveau was.

Jean Beliveau is special. That’s all I can say.

35. habs001 says:

The consensus by many posters is that plecks has no one to play with so if we win the lottery and Yakupov, makes the team who would he play with?…right now markov is trying to find his form so we cannot read anything into his poor stats in the first few games but he will be a huge key next year…right now 5/5 only pk provides any help fo the offense and without markov and at least another stud type d the scoring will not improve by too much as too many things have to fall into place from our forwards…

36. twocents says:

You know what’s really pathetic? Despite how useless Bourque has been so far, he still has more goals than Cammalleri.. and he makes nearly half the coin.

• The Cat says:

Kovalev, Cammaleri, Kostitsyn and now Bourque. When will the blame fall on Plekanec?

• LafleurGuy says:

You don’t lie Price. You don’t like Plekanec. Anyone else?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• The Cat says:

I dont blame Price for the season, Im just saying the excellence of Price, or him being very good are exaggerations. My like or dislike of him doesnt enter my assessment, unlike most people.

• The Cat says:

The seasons failure -if you want to know- is the underestimation of Hamrlik’s work and the failure to replace him.

• tophab says:

I like price but he is a weak goalie, way to many bad goals like last night they were all weak.he is the main reason we lost so many close games. Draft subban both of them.

• twocents says:

Kovy had the best season he had in 6 years playing with Pleks. And he did nothing in Ottawa either.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

In Montreal he was on pace for a 47 pt season. Since getting traded he’s really turned it on – he’s scoring at a pace that would give him 49 pts over a whole season.

Given all the attention Pierre MacGuire gets, why doesn’t Glenn Healey get the same attention for a job with the Leafs? Comments on games and often gives little stories of the players background, highly experienced with NHLPA, former player in the league and extremely annoying to listen too just like Pierre. Must be a perfect candidate for 29 other GM jobs in the league.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I would strongly support Healey as Leafs GM.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I will start planting the rumour with diehard Leaf fans here in the GTA today then. I appreciate you supporting me support Healey for Leaf GM :)

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Aluminum Mike Keenan.

• JUST ME says:

Although it is a good idea , i would add anybody but Burke ! But nobody cares in TO. MLSE management gave him a carte blanche and money is pouring in. In MTL we miss the playoffs once and it`s bye bye Charlie but in TO 7 in a row,4 under Burke`s brilliant management and nobody does anything. I admire the fans in Toronto that are behind their team no matter what but un fortunately they have to settle for a loser attitude.

• twocents says:

I get the ridiculousness of what your suggesting, but the real answer is that Heally doesn’t spend half his time shilling for himself. Honestly, the only reason McCheese is discussed is because he uses his soapbox to campaign for a job.

I love how people bring up Bowman’s comments as validation of his credibility while ignoring the fact that Bowman has not offered the oaf a job over the past twenty years despite being in a position to do so the whole time.

That, my friends, is the meaning of actions speak louder than words.

I am glad you picked up on my sarcasm, sometimes the sarcasm font I use is not clear.

You are absolutely correct in the constant shilling also.

• otter649 says:

Healy was in the running for The Leafs GM Job which went to John Ferguson…..

I have to admit before the game started, I had this feeling the Habs were going to go on a roll. I was excited that I would watch the team come alive!

Instead I find myself just getting more versed in who Yakupov, Grigorenko and Galchenyuk are.

39. HabFanSince72 says:

Remember when Gainey was appointed in 2003 (or 2002?).

We were so excited.

Genuine Hab hero. Great player. Successful coach and cup winning GM. If anyone could withstand the pressure of the job it was him. Only positives. No negatives to speak of.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

40. FanCritic says:

About last night. You can’t expect a team that’s three quarters deadwood to impress you do you now. feel sorry for the new GM and Coach. What a nightmare they’re getting into. if they can make something out of this mess. God bless them.
    I hope PG is not down over his firing. Molson did him a favour and RC he deserves a medal to coach such a mess. feel sorry for him but he’ll be a good coach in the NHL with a better team.

If you want a great Hockey fix and you do not follow CHL Junior hockey, you should give it a try. They are all in play offs now and it’s very good hockey. Most games are on TV. Enjoy!

42. JohnBellyful says:

Here’s a checklist of the Canadiens’ organizational needs going forward:

– a bilingual GM
    – a bilingual coach (but not one – and this is key – who is effluent)
    – a stud centre
    – a power play
    – secondary and thirdary scoring
    – bounce-back seasons from players who performed badly
    – two take-no-prisoners defencemen
    – two prisoners (to show the NHL the team can take them when necessary)
    – continued development of the team’s young players
    – depth on the farm
    – breadth on the table
    – replacement of Youppi with The Canadien*** and his own drummer
    – a (cap) shelter for Scottie
    – a heart transplant for Rene ‘No-Worque’ Bourque
    – useful roles for people under contract but no longer with the team
    – useful roles for people under contract and still with the team
    – a five-year road map to winning the Cup that includes a three-year shortcut
    – ice girls

*** (www.nhl.com) The Canadien is a ladies’ man, culturally refined and quite simply the best at everything he’s ever attempted. He expects to win in everything he does and the other Guardians love and respect him. He’s fiercely independent and marches to the beat of his own drum.
    The Canadien has the ability of both Power Augmentation and Power Absorption, meaning he can copy the powers of any of the other Guardians as long as he’s within a few miles of them. Through the use of Power Augmentation, the Canadien can also enhance the powers of his Guardian teammates. Just as in the NHL, all the teams are excellent in their own unique way, but all of them are made a little more valuable by the presence of the Montreal Canadiens.

• LafleurGuy says:

Good one on the “three year shortcut!” Better one on the Ice Girls!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• New says:

Finally a plan! Would Youppi like be kept on in an advisor’s role (cause I really think it is bad luck having killed one team already)? Would the new mascot be cool like a certain one who’s name and team will not be mentioned but slaps folks around for trashing the urinals or dating within the conference? And by Ice Girls do you mean ladies who clean the snow or caps off the ice and take away some guys job…or do you mean like ladies who encourage the crowd by waving at Tim Thomas and making hand signs to “call me” or “placing both hands over their belly, smiling at Tim, and nodding, when his wife is watching?

• JohnBellyful says:

Maybe they could be ripping up copies of the United States Constitution to catch his attention.

One thing about John I have learned, he always has a plan. I will not comment on the merits of his plans, but he always has a plan. He is like the leader of the A Team, not sure though how often John has been able to say “Love it when a plan comes together”.

43. LafleurGuy says:

With due respect Ian Cobb, nice article by Jack Todd! I agree with you. The post you entered was marred by people who forget objectivity, and pounce on any and every opportunity to dump on Todd. Bring on the hate mail!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I agree. Yet there´s one thing about the article I didn´t like. Pierre McGuire definitely shouldn´t be considered an option for the GM job.

• Ian Cobb says:

I agree with you on that point! The more I hear about Juliean Brisbois, the more I think he just may get the job.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

And I agree with that. I would be fine with that decision.

• habstrinifan says:

I think Brisebois does not even come close to the Hockey knowledge of Pierre McGuire. I think a combo of McGuire/Damphousse would be a spectacularly ideal team.

Damphoussse comes across as easy going and able to work in a team concept. McGuire as you know is one of those Uber ambition, uber effort, uber everything personalities. But he knows (has learnt) the importance of seeking and accepting diverse opinions etc.

This duo would establish not only a current administration which would satisfy ALL the team’s needs in the GM staffing but Vinny would be training for a smooth transition in 4 to 5 yrs.

One might say that this decline started ever so slowly as far back as when Pollock retired and there was a power struggle between Bowman from the coaching ranks and others leading to Grundman getting the job. Since tha day there has been no GM-IN-WAITING candidate.

The NHL is different. You can no longer solely do the ‘old boys’ fill-in. Seting up staff for long term is the way to go to achieve consistent excellence.

• New says:

• 44har48 says:

Amen…and with the qaulified candidates out there, I can’t see him getting it.

I still vote for Andre Savard/Julien Brisbois and Marc Crawford/Bob Hartley. Any combination…

• Ian Cobb says:

I thought is was an OK article! Being the literary genius that I am now!

• nickster13 says:

Todd does get a bad rap.. I don’t dislike him though, I think its his job to write controversial pieces sometimes, but that shouldnt give everyone the right to pile on him… but i digress.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

44. HabFanSince72 says:

It looks like we’re going to have to lose every game if we want a good pick.

The Oilers had 13 shots on goal last night.

Leafs have not broken the 20 shot barrier in three games.

Minny has a tough schedule. So do the Isles (who are at least trying).

Win a few and we could finish 6th.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Nice article by Jack Todd above!

46. Habfan10912 says:

Woke up this morning and checked my Mega tickets numbers. Sadly, I am not a winner. But the purging of the top level of the Hab’s organization and the solidification of a high draft pick caused by a loss bring a slight smile to my face. Some smart famous guy once said something like, being content for the gifts which you have is the secret of happiness or something along those lines.
    Better days will now be on the way for us Hab’s fans. Cheers!

• 44har48 says:

Me too. I loved seeing Eller in between Bloundin and Stuabitz last night and then Pleks inserted at times…keep those lines running and play hard, play to win. I’d like to see Budaj get some more time between the pipes too After last night’s stinker, I’d bet they come out flying tonght, so let’s start Budaj :)

• LafleurGuy says:

Sylvain Blouin was Mr. Quebec at one point in time, and also terrorized the AHL. Couldn’t stick with the big club. Mike Blunden generally doesn’t fight but plays with grit.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habstrinifan says:

You are probably talking about King Solomon, “the smart famous guy”. Among the things he said that may apply to your paraphasing were , “A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance.” and “In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider.” and
      “There is a time to get (win) and a time to lose.”

I should tell you though that King Solomon was one hell of a RICH KING who probably had a 20-camel stable and a 200-wives harem.

So was easy for him to talk… he didnt have to do a lot more getting and they always let him win … JUST SAYING!

47. pmaraw says:

i think we should give both goalies a break, for the rest of the season, dont call anyone up either. should make for some interesting scrambles on the ice and might help stack gorges blocked shots, cause you know they’d be firing from anywhere.

On the last page about Beliveau,
    Who is Vassilios Bantourakis?? Thanks so very much for this! I had never seen it. Great job!
    What is your Avatar name on HIO??
    Mr Boone, who is he?

49. nickster13 says:

Pierre Mcguire could work. Seriously. For all the talking and side-switching he does, he does have almost unmatched knowledge about the game and its players, thats gotta count for something.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• LafleurGuy says:

Your point is very logical, but many fans believe that personality is the major determinant of who is the best choice! “Style over Substance”

“May you live in interesting times.”

• nickster13 says:

True, and they may have a point, but we haven’t tried this route before. Our method was to pick a relatively untrained guy.
        My vote is for Mcguire as GM, and Crawford as coach. Both are very knowledgable hockey men, and are both bilingual.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• 44har48 says:

Would you take Andre Savard and Marc Crawford?

• nickster13 says:

Yes I would! I really think Crawford is a great candidate. Experienced, bilingual, coached in Quebec, and has won a cup. Also, hes well spoken.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Cal says:

Give me a break. McGuire has a list of players’ names. He then takes those names and finds out where they played junior. He hasn’t worked for an NHL team since 95. Forget him. Besides, Savard said it best. “He’s a nice person. We should go golfing at Hilton Head.” In other words, “Oublie ca.”

• nickster13 says:

Well I think he is quite knowledgable, albeit over the top at times, and you think hes worthless. Reality is that he’s probably better than you expect, but knows a little less than I imagine. So I hope Savard can iron out if he’s actually a worthy candidate or not.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• issie74 says:

Every year I watch the draft and I hear McGuire talking about the teams and their draft choices and more often than not he is wrong.
      No McGuire.

NorthTOHab

50. dicktracy says:

We do have last change in the last game. Just in case.

51. Boston Habs Fan says:

If you pick 1st it has to be Nail, after that there are good arguments for and against each player….including Murray and Dumba. Getting Nail will instantly inject some life into not just the team but the fan base as well. A year like this takes a toll and a chance at the number one pick is huge

• Habfan10912 says:

Boston, that’s what I’ve been reading also. After Nail, 2 thru 5 are pretty even as far as potential go. I guess I’d go with the big center if that is indeed the case but I am no draftnik.

52. Marc10 says:

What if we pick first? Do we still go to Yakupov?

He’s the best player available…

If we did that, we’re still short a real first line center, but at least Pleks or Eller would get a decent winger…

Listening to Martin McGuire describe what Julien Brisebois did when he worked for the Habs and the Bulldogs, you have to believe it’s his job to lose. His achievements are numerous and he’s very appreciated within the organisation.

- Player contracts and negotiations with agents under Gainey – he did that (insert joke here)
    - Overseeing the Brossard Training Center requirements – he did that
    - Guy Boucher hire and Calder Cup win (2 separate events) for the Dogs – he was on the job
    - Everybody rates him
    - His specialty is the cap
    - He’s a local wiz kid
    - bilingual
    - was a Hab

Unless a guy like Nill could be pried away from the Wings (and at $1m a year plus this guy is the highest paid assistant GM in the League and entrenched in Motor City), I don’t see anyone more qualified.

53. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Does anybody else cringe when Todd calls Gauthier a “cancer”? I know it’s hyperbole, but cancer is real, destructive, life shattering for those affected, and I suggest, not suited for this situation. Get out your Thesaurus Jack, you can do better.

• Habfan10912 says:

Some folks just plain cringe at the name Todd. Point taken, lots of sports reporters refer to our games as, wars, battles, life and death. Just part of the press speak I think and no real offense should be taken.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Calling someone a cancer is outrageous. Especially since Gauthier can’t fight back.

It’s one thing to want Gauthier replaced because he did a bad job, but some of the comments, including by some people here, are really over the top.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

54. mikeyo73 says:

I was lucky enough to get great tickets to this game last night from someone and was very excited to go with my wife, who doesn’t know much about hockey. What a terrible game to watch, just pathetic. You could tell the Rangers were just going through the motions and they were playing at like 60%. The Habs were just brutal, no heart, no effort. What a disappointment. I might as well become an Islanders fan.

• Habfan10912 says:

Sounds like the Habs were in full tank mode. It looked that way on TV also. The Garden is normally a pretty “live” building but
      this team seems to do well at sucking the life out of folks. Hope you and your wife were able to take in a night on the town and at least made it a pleasant evening.

55. HankHardball says:

I’m sorry. But until I see it happen, I’m not ready to believe this community is willing to accept putting winning ahead of winning in French.
    And I don’t think any organization can win in today’s NHL without putting winning ahead of everything else.

• Cal says:

Same old tired argument. As if there are no French speaking coaches that are any good compared to the English speaking ones. Who, pray tell, coached in the last Cup Final?

• neumann103 says:

Language will be a bigger issue with staffing the coaching position. I for one would be perfectly happy with Brisebois simply because he appears to be proven to be competent and is familiar with the org without being tainted by the last two years. Unless you could somehow teach Noo Joisy Lou some French in a hurry, or pry Dale Tallon away from Florida, simply being competent and having an understanding of what the Habs mean is good enough.

Coaching is a more difficult situation.

I would bring Alain Vigneault back in a heartbeat. Julien? Not so much.

It is not that there are no qualified Francophone candidates, it is just that the filter on language narrows the pool of qualified – and more significantly, available - candidates.

That is one of the reasons I like the decision to announce the GM change now. They really ought to be prepared to jump on situations arising between the end of the season and the draft. Imagine if Vancouver gets punted in the second round and they fire the coach? I want the opportunity in MTL to be somewhere in the back of the mind of Vigneault and others who might find themselves unemployed if their teams choke. Does Joel Quenneville speak French? If so, ditto.

Absent that type of opportunity the allure of a coach with no NHL head coaching but sentimental attachment could be trouble: MarioTremblay 2.0

“Et le but!”

56. Danno says:

Unlike the Habs, I’m first!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

57. habstrinifan says:

We need some bling bling!!!

58. habstrinifan says:

Follow your head on this one. Same advice re Lacroix.