Did strategy backfire? Coyotes push Preds to brink

yotesouch

Ouch: Coyotes’ Martin Hanzal is sandwiched by Predators Ryan Suter (left) and Mike Fisher.
John Russell, NHLI via Getty Images

Nashville Predators coach Barry Trotz decided to use the same lineup Friday night in Game 4 as he did in Game 3 vs. the Phoenix Coyotes, again leaving the thirsty Alexander Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn on the sidelines.

While the strategy paid handsome dividends in Game 3, a 2-0 Nashville win, neither Radulov nor Kostitsyn scored Friday from the press box in a 1-0 Game 4 loss, the Coyotes now one win from bouncing the Predators from the playoffs.

This time, Radulov and Kostitsyn were healthy scratches, not suspended players in wake of their having violated team rules out in Phoenix. But Trotz’s decision to leave his two offensive-minded forwards out of the lineup for Game 4 will long be talked about.

• On Saturday, the New York Rangers are in Washington for a 12:30 pm ET Game 4 matinée vs the Capitals, the only game on the slate. Make other plans for Saturday night, then…

Former Kings goalie Kelly Hrudey still smarting from 1993 Cup loss to Habs: Stubbs
That’s entertainment: HNIC’s opening montages are works of art: Boone

Below: Team USA’s Max Pacioretty tests goalie Cristobal Huet (remember him) of France during USA’s 7-2 win at the IIHF world championship Friday. Pacioretty had a goal and two assists.
Alexander Nemenov, AFP/Getty Images

Below, another Canadien in worlds action: Tomas Plekanec, wearing the C for the Czech Republic, celebrates a goal during his team’s 2-0 win over Lars Eller’s Danish side.
Peter Josek, Reuters

Below: Plekanec fends off a Danish pursuer.
Jonathan Nackstrand, AFP/Getty Images

1. tote-road says:

“………….leaving two thirsty, offensive-minded players out of his Friday lineup?”

How could they still be thirsty after being out drinking all night?

2. HabFab says:

- Canadiens finished the year with 50 players under pro contract (maximum allowed)
    - Have 22 returnees under contract plus 6 rookies signed for upcoming season. Beaulieu would make 29 signed.
    - At least 12 of the 9 UFA’s and 19 RFA’s cannot be resigned to make room for graduating players and free agent signings.
    - MiB has his work cut out for him.

• Mark C says:

Having 50 contracts was an unreported mistake of the past management group. Essentially, it took Montreal out of the conversation for any high-end college UFA at the end of the season.

• HabFab says:

Agreed but there wasn’t much choice. Ended the season with 12 players on the IR between Montreal and Hamilton. The Habs had almost 440 gmes lost to injury while the Dogs must have been close to 300. Nash and Hunter both injured in training camp and never played a game all season.
        Most of the time we start the season with 47 or 48 (max) players.

• Mark C says:

That is a fair and correct point. You just wonder if it was worth having Robert Slaney as part of the Gill trade.

• HabFab says:

The Bulldogs finished off the season with 3 University grads and 1 OHL grad on PTO’s to have a roster. Slaney was probably thrown in because at the time of the trade, players were needed to stock Hamilton.

• Mark C says:

It was a complete mess down there, just not sure having one more healthy body was worth passing on a chance at a JT Brown type.

• commandant says:

The Bulldogs weren’t making the playoffs anyway. They were out of things as early as the Habs were, no matter what their radio announcer tried to say.

They didn’t need to take Slaney.

Slaney was what is known as a “contract ballast” a prospect who is not progressing who has negative value and gets thrown into a trade to free up a contract spot for the team giving him away.

Nashville was probably reluctant to give up both the 2nd round pick and Blake Geoffrion, unless we helped them by taking on an extra contract.

It should be noted too that Slaney was also the guy the Leafs traded to Nashville as a “contract ballast” to even up the number of contracts moving when they got Franson and Lombardi for Slaney and Lebda.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• commandant says:

The real contract that hurt us in the NCAA free agent game was Staubitz. Gauthier decided that it was better to bring in a Travis Moen replacement, than to take chances in NCAA FA.

The Bulldogs were out of it. The Habs were out of it. There was no need. We should have just called up Alex Henry to play on the fourth line forward, if what we wanted was a fighter, and leave the ATOs and PTOs to fill out the Dogs who were also going nowhere.

This was Gauthier’s biggest failing as a GM. Even when he made a good move, he failed to see the bigger picture and what it would mean to the team. He had no plan, no vision, and no direction for this hockey club.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Mr. Biter says:

Staubitz will be here next year. I doubt AP, Campolli, Darche and Moen will be just to name a few.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• nunacanadien says:

I don’t think having so many players on injured reserve, did not give an excuse to Gauthier to basically use up the cap space, although this was not Gauthier but the Habs Management Committee that put us in this mess, and they are still running the ship. No one has given Bergevin a clean slate, if anything, Bergevin will be our next Gauthier, when the committee thinks it knows more than the people who actually have experience running hockey, then you get the year we had.

3. HabFab says:

List of Hab UFA’s;

Travis Moen W
    Mathieu Darche W
    Brad Staubitz W/D
    Brian Willsie F
    Chris Campoli D
    Garrett Stafford D
    Joe Callahan D
    Alex Henry D
    Nathan Lawson G

4. HabFanSince72 says:

Yes I’m petty but I’m pleased to see Nashville hoist by their own petard.

I’m tired of everyone saying what geniuses Poile and Trotz are. Two playoff wins in 12 years. In the last two years they traded away two #1 and three #2 picks. They will have just one draft pick in the top 60 over three years. And for what? Paul Gaustad, a washed up Hal Gill. AK46 (I thought you were gonna turn him around Barry? What happened?). mike Fisher – decent player but no more than that.

Paul Gaustad for a #1. Dude has 1 point and is a minus in the playoffs.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I am in complete agreement regarding Poile, Trotz I think is a pretty good coach. But Poile has been praised so much for the classic story of an underdog team that finally made some playoff noise.

I have been perplexed at the widespread praise he gets all season.

• neumann103 says:

I understand but I wouldn’t be quite so harsh. I think much of the credit (particularly to Poile) has been directed at his success in building a winner on a consistently low payroll team. I believe they are currently 24th in the league in payroll and have been a near floor team for much of the current CBA.

The deals he made recently are a bit of a Faustian bargain. He certainly gave up too much for 3 months of Gaustad. But this was a conscious decision to go for it this year while they thought the opportunity was there AND to try to demonstrate to key pending UFAs like Suter and Weber that there is the will and perhaps even the wallent to spend to win.

At the moment it does not look like it is paying off but I would consider that in context. Poile understands he sold part of the future for too little to go for success now and to shore up his franchise players.

“Et le but!”

Aaron Palushaj W
    Olivier Fortier C
    Robert Slaney W
    Andrew Conboy W
    Dany Masse F

• Habfan10912 says:

Saw Nash play a few games in the past in he was the best player on the ice several times. He has size and can be physical. I think he could be a surprise coming out of camo if he’s healthy. I was not impressed with the back end of the defence last year. Weber and Diaz are not NHL defenseman and don’t get me started on KaCa. Or us it CaKa? Whatever.

———————————–

• HabFab says:

With Diaz, Weber and St Denis you basically have the same player…we cannot afford more then one. Am also hoping Nash is resigned, he had a good rookie season before missing all last season to a training camp shoulder injury.

In other news, how about that contract for Albert Pujols? 10 Years 240 Million, batting under .200, no home runs, 5 rbi.

Wonder if the rumours over the past couple years that perhaps he was 2-3 years older than the age he claimed upon arrival in the States could be true?

• Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t know all the details about him leaving St. Louis but the city and the fans absolutely worshiped him. They offered him a massive amount of money to stay and had to take a bit more to go to California. I didn’t understand that? Greedy and selfish in my opinion.

His agent is a complete moron. There have been some pretty indepth reports detailing his practises, if you are interested do a search on Deadspin.com and you will find out most of it. End of day, Pujols agent needed the gross commission from a 10 year contract which was more term than St. Louis was offering at the time. He jumped on it, convinced Pujols it was the best deal out there and used the money from it to save a new agent business he was starting.

Pujols agent is the exact opposite of everything you see in Jerry Mcguire from the perspective of Tom Cruise’s role.

Amazing how hoodwinked many players are by their agents.

• Stormin says:

Never as easy as players think to change teams, especially in baseball where you get accustomed to seeing certain pitching staffs and acquire an encyclopedia of knowledge on tendencies.

OH well hope it was worth the extra couple of Millions the Angels threw at him over the chance to stay loyal and be a legend and role model in StLouis forever.

• Habfan10912 says:

Perhaps its a pharmaceutical issue. Just saying perhaps.

———————————–

7. Stormin says:

@ Thomas,
    If you want another top prospect’s opinion, I was Talking with Mike Matheson yesterday who played with Dumba at the Ivan Hlinka in which Team Canada won gold and Dumba was the leader and Captain of the Team.

Matheson told me after playing with Dumba it was one of the reasons he decided to add 20 pounds of muscle to his frame. Dumba is the complete package, especially when it comes to loving the physical part of the game.

That said I still think we should pick Galchenyuk, but I have a little feeling that Alex will be gone when Les Habitants go to select at #3, I think it will be a more active draft day than in past years.

8. Hobie Hansen says:

Nice to see Plekanec with the “C” on his chest in the above photo. Now he is one European player I’ve never once questioned his heart or dedication. He had a rough year last year but he’ll bounce back for sure.

I don’t think Montreal has the option to sign that coveted “big centerman” this off season so I believe they’ll try and add another talented winger and go with Plekanec and Desharnais as their top two centermen. I’m cool with that if they can add another top six winger.

9. mrhabby says:

seems like a dumb move by Trotz by not putting in the 2 players. for a defensive team and goals are hard to come by i think he got it wrong. crazy.

• punkster says:

Rulz is rulz, MH.

Why allow them to be the exceptions? How did they respond to the suspension? Did they laugh it off, show remorse…things we don’t know. How does the rest of the team feel about it? Are they happy to be rid of the two trouble makers or angry because they miss their great team mates?…again we don’t know.

Easy for us to decide when we don’t have all the info. Flip a coin ad either side is correct.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

10. Thomas Le Fan says:

Barry Trotz is my hero! Sorry Igor, Malkin and Datsyuk aside, the young Russians scare me. Call me crazy but I would have a hard look at Matt Dumba at number 3.

Added, after the fact, as a rejection of being called bigoted … while I would be shy of the young players, I would sign Datsyuk and Malkin in a heartbeat. Last time I looked they’re still Russians. My fear is of the unknown and unproven Russians not Russians, in general.
    Now anyone want to tell me how evil and stupid Stephen Harper and Sarah Palin are? There’s where the real bigotry raises its ugly head around here.

What about the young American Galchenyuk? ;-)

• Morenz7 says:

That’s a serious point. Galchenyuk can’t be lumped in with Grigorenko et al. I must say I’m quite impressed by his highlight file, and I read that he was the superior player to Yakupov during Sarnia’s brief playoff run. Yes his injury raises questions. But all three top-rated forwards are gambles, and Galchenyuk seems least likely to go for the big money in the K. He’s also not small.

So assuming we want a forward, and Yakupov’s gone by the time we pick, Galchenyuk might be the guy. Tough choice: I don’t envy Timmins and Bergevin.

• commandant says:

Yes because we should blame Yakupov because Andrei Kostitsyn and Alexander Radulov are screw ups? Why not blame the individual for his own mistakes, and not let it scare you off the entire country.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Not blaming anyone, I’m just discussing reality. So go ahead and beat up your straw man but if you’re an NHL G.M. and the thought of drafting another Filatov, Zherdev, Radulov or Andrei Kostitsyn doesn’t at least give you pause, you just might be crazier than I am.

• commandant says:

How about the thought of drafting a Cam Barker, Alex Picard, Jack Skille,… there are busts from every country.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Thomas Le Fan says:

You’re absolutely right but who said a G.M.’s job is easy? We’ve done our share of bad drafting. You can overthink these things, not make the obvious choice and take a Wickenheiser over a Savard. Then again, it may be one of those years that if you’re right you take Lafleur and if you’re wrong you get Dionne but all I’m doing is discussing options. I like this young defenceman from Red Deer. In my tenure as G.M. I build from the goal out.

• commandant says:

There is only so much “building from the goal out” that you can do, before you need some forwards to score some goals.

Subban, Emelin, on the team.
            Gorges signed for 6 years.
            Diaz and Weber as bottom pairing guys (one is probably traded)
            Tinordi, Beaulieu, blue chip prospects
            Ellis, Dietz, Didier, Bennett, Sullivan, Pateryn, all lower tier prospects and most will bust, but the numbers game tells you at least 1 or 2 will become NHLers.

At some point we need to score goals, and there is 1 true young top line player in our system. Max Pacioretty, thats it. He’s the only sure-fire first line guy we have.

We need another

On top of that… its much easier to find D later in the draft than it is to find forwards. Look where Subban was drafted. Look at where Norris winners/candidates Duncan Keith, Zdeno Chara, Shea Weber, Nick Lidstrom, were drafted. In contrast we don’t see MVP level forwards coming outside the top 10 at the same level.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• punkster says:

Ah, the “straw man” comeback. Unfortunately you used the words “the young Russians scare me” so (edit, commandant) isn’t attacking a “straw man”. He’s attacking your “reality”.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Thomas Le Fan says:

No, he said I’m blaming Yakupov and letting it “scare you off the entire country”. I’m not. I still think their chess players rule and the vodka is second to none. Logic not a forte around here, however.
            Besides, WTF is “Subbang”?

• commandant says:

You said you were scared of drafting Russians because of what AK and Radulov did.

If it wasn’t Yakupov and Grigorenko you were referring to, then who?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m fine with any player that played in the OHL like Galchenyuk.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Maybe. Commandant, the reply thingee isn’t there so I’ll reply here to your post above.
        “Sorry Igor, Malkin and Datsyuk aside, the young Russians scare me.” It refers to the article on Larionov. More to do with Filatov and Zherdev and underachieving, in general. So yes, while it referred to the next generation of young Russian players, it was not solely about what Radulov and AK did. Actually more about what many of them don’t, won’t and haven’t done. And yes, to be fair, there have been busts that were born and raised in Canada but … they don’t scare me.

• commandant says:

Becaus there have been busts from Russia, drafting young russians scares you.

But the busts from Canada don’t count.

I guess we’ve seen your logic here…. sounds a little bigotted to me.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Then besides not spelling very well, you don’t know what “bigoted” actually means. You may be able to infer some bias on my behalf but bigoted is unfounded and I won’t say what I infer that to mean about you.

There is not way to reply to your comment below but you prove you ignorance and not anything you accuse me of.

big·ot·ed/ˈbigətid/Adjective: 1.Obstinately convinced of the superiority or correctness of one’s own opinions and prejudiced against those who hold different opinions.
            2.Expressing or characterized by prejudice and intolerance.

I would sign Malkin or Datsyuk in a heartbeat. My “fear” that a young Russian hockey player may not be the best choice is not bigotry, in any sense of the word. It has nothing to do with Russians, in general and my preference for Matt Dumba therefore merely indicates a bias towards North American players. Unfair? Life ain’t fair. We’re all biased in one way or another. You’re apparently biased against people who don’t share your opinion to the point of bigotry yourself. Boone hates anything to do with conservatives. On it goes.

• commandant says:

No I’m pretty sure that saying “Russians scare me” and projecting that onto this years potential draftees, because of what other Russians like Radulov or Zherdev or whoever has done in the past is bigoted.

Actually, yes, I checked again, this is the very definition of using a stereotype to judge an individual which is unfair to Yakupov, Grigorenko, and all Russians. Let them be individuals, and criticize them for their individual faults if you must, but not for what happened to Radulov, Zherdev, or anyone else.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• HabFanSince72 says:

You’re not crazy. Bigoted, sure. But not crazy.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Them’s fighting words where I come from and you have no evidence other than your mistaken inference. What names do you usually get called for being so … rude.

My last link of the morning, sorry if I went a little overboard, just thought I would provide some stories of interest. This one is a little more positive from our Habs perspective.

• commandant says:

LOL, always fun to kick MLSE while they are down.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Seems like the Toronto media are either hyping their teams or bashing them, little level-headedness. I’ve always been amazed that it takes so little time to get Leaf fans to admit their team is awful….

• Morenz7 says:

I live in T.O., and I can tell you their sports media have it tough. Any glimmer of hope becomes a triumph, which is inevitably snuffed out. At least the Habs make the playoffs more years than not. And the Mtl media has the Als and the Impact.

Frankie Boullion gettings some props from local paper in Nashville.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Thanks for the links below. I found Larionov’s comments informative and interesting.

Some people get their backs up when they hear a person say Russina hockey players don’t appreciate the NHL or want the Stanley cup as much as a Canadian player. I don’t see why the get upset when it is true?

There are plenty of Russian hockey players that would give their lives to get their name on the cup and would do anything to get there but there are also some who aren’t as eager as the average Canadian. That’s not a racist statement or anything to be alarmed at I don’t think?

Sean Gordon of the Globe with an article on how players cope with the long schedule and grind of a season.

Interesting article, Larionov addressing “The Russian Problem”

15. twilighthours says:

Trotz has to play radulov and AK now. They are better with those two in.

It will be interesting to see what they do. I suspect one or both will be back in lineup, provided the coach and fellow players see genuine actions by these two that their earlier choices were incorrect.

Very proud of Nashville’s stand of principle. If more teams displayed this type of character. More of these millionaires would have a little more respect and consideration for each other, and the paying customer.

This is what is missing in today’s game and society for that matter, RESPECT !!!

• Habfan10912 says:

Ian, I’m with you all the way!

———————————–

• Cal says:

You’re right, Ian. It all begins at home. Seems like respect has become a four-letter word these days. Might come from all the adults telling every child how “special” they are all the time with no accountability for their actions. But, then again, this is the 21st century and we shouldn’t care too much about athletes who don’t care, right?

Okay Ian, I understand and agree to a point. But if Nashville has such Principle and Character, why the heck did they reward that individualistic and egotistic idiot named Radulov and allow him back on the team if he had already quit once before on them?

Seems to me that Nashville was a franchise with pride in their low payroll, high work ethic and 100% effort kind of team. By taking Radulov back, seems to me they started crossing the moralistic highground line which they were so proud of to start with.

Picking up one Kostitsyn was okay, but then adding the other along with Radulov was a recipe for disaster in light of the type of game this team was and is known for.

Seems to me Poile made some bad decisions here and Trotz while I agree with his decision has been kind of hung out to dry.

• harpman says:

Discipline in the workplace is required regardless of the profession/occupation. The two Pred. players have little regard for their team and themselves.

• jon514 says:

Way to go HIO, stand by Trotz!
      We all wanna see superstars in the game, but these guys deserved what they got.
      Some of the guys on that team have probably waited their entire lives for this moment. It may never come again and these guys would give it all up and let their teammates down for a night of drinking. Funny btw that Sergei was not there. I guess he’s not the problem child anymore!

• mrhabby says:

there down 3-1 and what did it prove…???????

17. rhino514 says:

McDonaugh one point and minus three in the playoffs.
    Would like to add that close to half of his twenty odd points in the regular season came in the first 12-15 games when the rangers had their their top offensive D out.
    Gorges seems to do the same thing with his points early on in the season. Not quite sure why this happens.

• neumann103 says:

You identified it yourself . he steps it up when the big guns are missing . when they come back he returns to a more defensive game .

Gorges scored while markov and campoli were out, pk was slumping , diaz and emelin were brand new, weber was lighting it up and getting zero credit…

“Et le but!”

18. Old Bald Bird says:

Should pro teams of grown men have curfews?

• ed lopaz says:

real pros do not need curfews.

dedicated athletes do not need curfews.

responsible adults do not need curfews.

this goes deeper than curfews.

this is about individual athletes thinking they are bigger and more important than the team.

• rhino514 says:

Good point.
      This holier than thou attitude is wearing a bit thin. I can tell you from living in Europe, that north americans are definitely more moralistic than Europeans.
      Do you think it´s normal to tell a thirt-nine your old man, for example, that he can´t stay out late for the majority of the year?
      Try doing that for 15 or twenty years.
      Don´t think what Radulov and Kost did was right; out at 4am before a 17:00 game is way over the line. But let´s try and keep it in perspective.

• Cal says:

Yes, especially during playoffs. Athletes cannot show up to work recovering from a drunk and expect to perform well. This is no longer the 70s.

No they shouldn’t and that is why the curfew is loose, I heard former players on the radio talking this week that if you are 1/2 hour or 45 mins late but returning from dinner or a movie etc… there is no issue.

But rolling into your room at 5am after being in a strip bar is beyond acceptable behaviour when the following day you have an afternoon start for a playoff hockey game.

I don’t think it was the breaking of curfew, but rather the selfish behaviour which caused the teams reaction. Don’t forget, players like Weber and Suter were apparantly very vocal in their displeasure for these two Nimrods behaviour.

• neumann103 says:

This is the key Gerald.

If trotz sits them again to make a point he is an idiot. If he sits them again because his sense of the room is that the team doesn’t want them, that is a whole other matter.

Punishing grown men for drinking and whoring is silly. excluding them because the team tells you they harm team cohesion or motivation is reasonable .

Plus i don’t think we know exactly what went down. maybe there is some specific that set them off.(somebody’s sister was dancing at the club and did not get enough dollar bills in her g string ? Too many ?)

“Et le but!”

• punkster says:

They’re not being punished for drinking or whoring. They violated a team curfew rule.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• neumann103 says:

Okay let me clarify.

Keeping two of your only offensive threats out of a critical game because
            “They violated a team curfew rule.”
            would be dumb.

Keeping them out because Weber and Suter came and said, “We don’t want them. Their presence will demotivate guys who are trying to pull together” or whatever is perfectly reasonable. Ditto for if the owners say “I don’t care if we lose. Sit ‘em” (although I would argue if that was the case they would owe it to stand up and not hang the decision on Trotz)

I absolutely agree with all of this:
            “Now, get into the cause of the violation, their reactions to the suspension, the impact of the whole issue on the rest of the team, the views of management/owners, and you may have an argument for lifting or continuing the suspension. Without all that information (all of the facts, mind you) then you, me and every sports reporter out there are just blowing hot air.

from the beginning we have had very little information. The reaction seems outsized to the offense. We can speculate and that is a distraction for those of us left at loose ends by an early end to the Habs season. Critiquing the decision is pretty vain given the lack of info. Critiquing the decision based on possible motivations, entirely reasonable, to wit:

A. If Trotz suspends because “the room” tells him that will motivate them more = GOOD

B. If Trotz suspends because the owners tells him that is their direction = GOOD (but they should man up)

C. If Trotz suspends because “they broke a rule” = STUPID SUPID STUPID completely ridiculous.

I suspect that A is closest to the truth but I am not saying that any of these actually happened, and we have no real way of knowing.

“Et le but!”

• punkster says:

neumann…agree, the curfew rule violation is the catalyst. The rest of details we do not know. Everything else is just gnashing of teeth, wringing of hands and wild speculation.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• boing007 says:

Who was in charge of the head count on the team bus? It appears that there was little control of the players whereabouts postgame. A few drinks in the hotel lobby bar would have been okay. Then off to bed. Someone screwed up.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

19. ed lopaz says:

someone posted here that Terry Crisp did not expect Radulov and AK 46 to play another game for Nashville – that was before the suspension.

take that to the bank.

Crisp is inside the Preds at the highest level.

• Old Bald Bird says:

We’ll see. CBC quoted Trotz saying that yesterday’s sit out was not punishment but was a decision to keep the winning lineup intact.

20. Zorro1 says:

From Steve Buffery of the Toronto Sun:

“WHAT A GREAT HIRE!

The Quebec media seems largely thrilled over the hiring of Marc Bergevin as the Montreal Canadiens’ new GM. Interesting, because if the Canadiens’ management had hired any other guy with such limited front office experience to run the storied franchise, and he didn’t speak French, it would have been ripped from now until next Easter. But because he speaks French, it’s a fantastic hiring. Whatever. Bergevin’s first order of business was to demote interim head coach Randy Cunneyworth, a terrible person given the fact that he speaks English only.”

Hmm.

21. Ted Blurn says:

I’m with you Habfan. I’d sit them again.

22. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all. I know I’m in the minority especially given the results, but Trots did what I would want my coach to do. Is it possible that a short term loss may very well have long term benefits. Maybe I’m to old fashion but the team first thing could be built on with the rest of the Preds. I am glad Trots had the guts to do that.
    Now I’m going to duck for cover.

———————————–

• The Cat says:

Mornin’ HF, I agree with you.

• rhino514 says:

Short term loss is ok during the regular season, but a short term loss now means losing your chance at possibly winning the Cup. That´s simply not acceptable.
      Take care of those two after the playoffs, not now; there are a million ways to punish them. Heck, I´d do away with Radulov, personally.
      Still, I don´t think sitting Radulov a few games makes or breaks the team, because they were a heck of a good team without him, but I tend to think Andre was just a follower in this case (though of course we cannot know for sure). We´ve seen enough of him in Montreal to know he´s not a bad guy. He´s also been putting in effort on the ice, while Radulov not as much. I would have put Andre back in. Radulov -don´t much care either way.

• Habfan10912 says:

Rhino I understand what your saying but this team will continue to play fir years to come. Perhaps knowing the coach means what he says will pay dividends in the future.
        ———————————–

• Cal says:

Trotz 100% right in not dressing 2 selfish a-holes. The goal is to win the Cup, not drink from many cups.

Morning Jim, not sure you are in the minority.

23. Ted Blurn says:

I’m juggling 9 month old twins, that’s all I can manage in my sleep deprived state. Any update on Subban?

24. Ted Blurn says: