Diaz, Weber head home for Swiss jobs

Raphael Diaz

Canadiens rearguard Raphael Diaz.
Mitchell Layton, NHLI via Getty Images

Montreal Canadiens defencemen Raphael Diaz and Yannick Weber have both found work in their native Switzerland for as long as they’re locked out of the NHL.

Diaz returns to EV Zug, the team that he’s known for roughly forever. Diaz played for the organization from the age of 5 until he was 25 and came across the pond to join the Canadiens.

Weber will patrol the blue line for Geneva-Servette.

It was earlier announced that Habs centreman Tomas Plekanec will play for HC Kladno, the club Jaromir Jagr owns in the Czech Extraliga and for while he’ll suit up.

1. Bripro says:

Geoff Molson meets with the media.

Actually, if you follow the link, they then interview with Bergy and MT.
    Therrien is far more approachable than he used to be, and looks better prepared with a game plan.

Don’t the effects of the gamma rays you absorbed eventually wear out and you go back to normal size, or are you really stuck in Hulk form for this long?

• Bripro says:

I dunno…. where am I?
        Like I said earlier, I’m tired of shredding all my clothes.
        But I will not post my grandson in his favourite Habs jersey until this fiasco is over.

2. jon514 says:

@GrimJim: RE: AHL Salaries. Yes it helps and thanks for the reply.

3. dhenry1234 says:

A message from the Montreal Canadiens

Dear Canadiens Fans,

We understand that the current situation affects a great number of people, including our employees, our partners and local businesses – as well as our loyal fans who patiently and enthusiastically await the arrival of each Canadiens hockey season.

Please know that it is our sincere hope that an agreement between the National Hockey League and the NHL Players’ Association is reached so that the hockey season may get underway. To this end the National Hockey League has been and remains willing to negotiate around the clock to conclude a new CBA that provides a fair system for all teams and its players, thus allowing the NHL to continue to develop and prosper long term. This is in the interest of everyone involved.

Meanwhile, the Club’s charitable efforts move forward with today’s annual Montreal Canadiens golf tournament to benefit our Children’s Foundation. We will gather with our generous partners, sponsors and numerous Canadiens Alumni in the name of helping children in need.

I want to thank each and every one of you for your understanding and your patience. I remain convinced that we have the best fans in the world.

Geoff Molson

• Bripro says:

That second paragraph looks like a cut-and-paste from a Butthead memo.

• habs-hampton says:

Dear Geoff:

Sorry, but I don’t understand, and I’ve run out of patience.

Oh, and you and Gary have no fans, so stop saying “we have the best fans…”. I am a fan of Carey, PK, Lars, etc. I pay to see them entertain me, even though I have to line your pockets to do so.

A fan

• SmartDog says:

All Geoff Molson fans put up your hands!

Sorry Geoff, owning a team doesn’t make us your fans. We’re fans of the Habs – the players. Get Bettman to come back with a fairer offer and we’ll think of you as part of the solution not the greedy problem.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

4. Propwash says:

Nice to see the Owners and NHLPA busting their butts to strike a deal.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

5. dhenry1234 says:

Ok so we have muslim extremists in the east raging over our right to freedom of speech. We have Japan and China ready to rip each other apart. We have Syrians killing civilians. We have 25! that’s right 25 different nations that have sent warships into the Strait of Hormuz (iran) . We have Israel threatening Iran with an EMP nuclear strike. And to top it all off, there’s no Hockey!!!!!!!!!

This world is over.

6. eric says:

A quick question. If the owners don’t lock out the players would they still have to pay salaries.

7. melski says:

all this talk of the AHL is bringing back memories of the Montreal Voyageurs and Baltimore Clippers

Interesting background stories on the Leafs and the issues which arose last season pertaining to Allaire.

Not all pretty in Leafland these days.

• Ozmodiar says:

Burkie felt he needed an upgrade over “the best goalie coach on the planet”. The successor must be simply out of this world.

Based on the assertions made in the article, there was some serious infighting going on between the coaches. Cox talks of some pretty specific examples of the coaches clearly not getting along.

Have to wonder if the whole Burke style of multiple GM’s etc.. isn’t creating problems all the way down the food chain.

Perhaps more reason for Dudley to be so quick to leave the Leafs and join the Habs.

• Bripro says:

Burke, whine, Reimer, whine, Leafs, whine.
      Lock out or not, the Leafs’ turmoil is an annual ritual.
      And it’s grown very old.
      Just sayin’…..

9. joeybarrie says:

I dont know what anyone else’s plans are going to be instead of watching hockey, going to see hockey games or going to the bar/restaurant with friends to see games.
    But I somehow doubt people will simply do nothing. I doubt the money that it used to buy tickets, beer, food, etc, etc will simply not get spent. While the situation will change, as in busy periods before and after games. The economy will not cease to exist because there are not 82 hockey games on TV.
    The “popcorn guy” will still be able to make popcorn for concerts which will increase, Cirque du Soleil, other events as well.
    The ‘lowly’ busboy at McLeans or McKibbons, or McAnything will in fact still be able to do his job, even if it has to be in a new location.
    A city of 4.5 million people does not stop because the Habs arent in town for 41 games…
    So enough with the “players and Management” have to get it done so the little guy doesnt suffer.
    NHL players in the AHL, ECHL, etc, etc bring in new and bigger crowds at their games, and the guy working the concession there will be helping his family out a lot…
    Its simple to me. People do not like NOT having hockey. The NHL loses fans when they do not play. If the owners and players want the league to conitinue to grow, dont piss in their faces.
    They remind me of the Democrats and Republicans. They refuse to work together just on the premise that they both want to be completely in control. All or nothing. No sharing, No caring, just a bunch of people refusing to budge, BECAUSE….
    To me they should simply state their last 2 offers, meet in the middle and call it a day. Stop being so petty.
    Write in some proper rules regarding the options whenever this particular CBA ends, and most importantly address is before it expires next time….
    Bunck of IDIOTS wasting the very money on stupidity they are trying to get by arguing…
    Take all the money they spent on Hotels, Lawyers, Food, Travel, Media, etc, etc and I bet they would have been better off saving it all and making a deal to begin with…

Well I can only cite the example of my buddy who runs a very successful sports bar here in Burlington. Not only will he feel the pinch, but in particular his service staff will feel it. His normal Tuesday night, Saturday night crowd who come into his establishment to watch the Leafs play will not be in nearly as often. Sure, some of them may say hey guys lets get together at the bar tonight because it will be a night out, but that will be an exception.

While the bar owner will feel it with his reads down those nights, it is those groups of people coming in who typically will leave the $20 – $50 tips as a group for their server. THus really hurting the servers.

10. Philly-Poo says:

Hey folks!

So, instead of trying to be angry, depressed, sad, or any other emotion describing the woe of a lockout, I’m trying desperately to find something to fill the void the NHL and NHLPA have left in my heart and TV schedule.

I caught last nights episode of This Hour has 22 Minutes, and well, guess who they have guest hosting?? PK SUBBAN!! If ya’ll want to watch the episode, it’s the first of this, their 20th season!

I always enjoy PK’s demeanor while answering hockey related questions and interviews, so, I was curious to see how animated he would be, scripted, and in a non-hockey environment. He did alright, but, even if he hadn’t, I was watching the episode under the impression that this might be all of PK i’ll get to see this year…

Anyways… Everyone have a great day/week/month/year/lockout…

p.s. Anyone else going to start watching NBA? I don’t really know the ins and outs of the league, or all the technical plays of the sport, or all the teams; I’ve really always just been a hockey guy. I do know that they aren’t locked out though… Anyone have a team to suggest? So far I am looking at Philly… :P

• Captain aHab says:

I’m not desperate enough to watch the NBA.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

I used to be a huge NBA fan and wouldn’t miss games, but I personally dislike how that league has changed. The rules enforcement is brutal, players are dictating which teams they play on and it just doesn’t feel the same for me anymore. I may give it a bit more time this fall, but most likely not.

• geo_habsgo says:

I started getting into the NBA last season in preparation for an NHL lockout. The team I root for is the much chagrined Miami Heat. I chose to get more into the NBA because on some level is satisfies my desire to watch a team sport. It is similar to the NHL in terms of how all the guys on the court are expected to contribute both offensively and defensively. It is a fast paced sport and there are a lot of individually great plays that fit into the team game which also reminds me of hockey. There is also that same sense that the game is on the line until the final quarter just like in hockey.

All in all, it seems to satisfy my need for hockey if I trick myself enough :p

• Philly-Poo says:

Geo, you describe where I am at, really, and I do think that the pace of the NBA game, is what attracts me to it. Although, I really also have to agree with HabinBurlington, that a lot of players do seem to have a more of a primadonna kind of attitude, and that does affect the integrity of the league. Then again, there are athletes of that nature in all sports… I’ll always think back to the Lindros fiasco in QC as an NHL example of a player’s attitude having a great affect on a team.

It’s funny though, I’ve already crossed Miami off of my list of prospective teams, same as LA. You yourself pointed out how maligned El Heat is in the NBA, so I don’t need to. :P

I like a team that builds itself with good drafting and shrewd trades. I rarely believe that throwing money at star players, and forming an “all-star” team is the way to get a championship. I always laugh at those teams when they crumble before they get to their prize.

Anyways… It will be a long season… Good luck to you all for getting through it…

p.s. I wish Montreal had an AHL team right about now… I lived in Vancouver for a few years, and it was nice to be able to catch either The Giants of the WHA, or the Abbottsford Heat of the AHL… Great hockey at a fraction of the cost…

p.p.s Does anyone think the NHL and NHLPA are really on strike to demonstrate their displeasure of the Gazette for “retiring” Boone?? :P

• jmsheehy19 says:

I started playing Basketball when I was 5 and still play it today (I’m 26). I love the game, but the NBA isn’t the best representation of it for a number of reasons as others have dictated.

Very few teams play solid defense, which lessens the “team” aspect for me.

The officiating from moment to moment is ridiculously biased in favor of the star players.

I know all pro athletes are “hired mercenaries” when you really get down to it, but I feel the NBA is worse than other sports in terms of players caring. (Yes I realize this is an incredible stretch and based on conjecture but it’s what I see.)

And this is going to be a weird comment, but the players are too good now. I expect them to make every shot, and the crowd does as well, which leads to a rather boring atmosphere until the last few minutes. They need to make the court bigger and maybe (I know this blasphemous) raise the baskets.

That said, others are fans so give it a go and see if you like it. But I would say College Basketball is a much better show, as the players absolutely care (with the exception of a few one-year guys), and they rely more heavily on team defense and offensive plays. Also the NCAA tournament is very exciting and prone to upsets thanks to so 64 teams and single game elimination.

11. Mavid says:

It is official speak like a pirate day scallywags….so shiver me timbers…time for a mutiny….

12. habsnyc says:

For the vast majority of NHL owners, the long term consequences of a lockout are minimal. There is no urgency to bring them to the bargaining table. Deals only get done when there is urgency.

The players seem to be hung up on the concept of fairness. They all want a fair deal. That is the wrong approach. The owners do not have to be fair. If the owners are not fair to the fans, who are provide income, why would they be fair to the players who are a cost?

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

13. The Dude says:

How many people will lose income due to millionaire’s bickering about moneys!How many family’s will struggle because as a low income earner in a service industry the jobs they depend on are “poof”gone!This needs to end now,period.And if it doesn’t end now, both side’s can take their Lil pucks and SHOVE them!

14. Hobie Hansen says:

If I was still living in the GTA area (Ottawa now) I’d definitely be attending a crap load of OHL and AHL games this season.

When Alex Galchenyuk and the Sarnia Sting do their Eastern Conference swing, people anywhere in the GTA could catch him in Brampton, Mississauga or Oshawa.

And the Bulldogs out in Hamilton. Watching a bunch of really good young prospects play in the AHL and develop.

That’s my suggestion for all you GTA Habs fans out there!

Pierre Lebrun discussing the upside of Lockout as it pertains to the AHL.

16. Captain aHab says:

Actually, http://www.gonetothedogs.ca looks available. Let’s see where the NHL goes, and I might be willing to foot the bill for the domain and hosting on a WordPress blog.

I WANT MY HOCKEY!!!!!! :mad:

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Captain aHab says:

Oops, it’s not available….oh well we’ll figure something out.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

17. commandant says:

What happens if we lose another full season like 2004-05? Last time 5 NHL Hall of Famers who played in 2003-04 never suited up in the NHL again. Today I look at 7 NHLers (6 of whom are potential Hall of Fame material and 1 is a personal indulgence of mine) who may have played their last NHL game if this lockout wipes out another season.

Some of those 6 may not get into the Hall of Fame, but I think the 6 will all be discussed one day.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Nice read Ben, hey just a comment about your site. I noticed you switched to a black backdrop, I have to admit I find it a little harder to navigate around your site as it makes reading some of the links or different coloured links a little harder to see. It isn’t bad, just providing some feedback is all. Love your site overall!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Nice piece on Koivu at the end of your article there.

I feel for the guy, A really bad knee injury at the beginning of his career (when he was leading the NHL in scoring) seemed to knock him down a notch, permanently. He was definite first line material before hand.

And for about a decade it seemed, when healthy, he was often playing with second line players. He played for the Habs in the wrong era and deserved much better.

• shiram says:

Great read Ben, thanx for sharing.

• Ron says:

Ben, I like the new site layout. Better pic layout etc. The only thing I have a problem with, and this is my eye sight problem, is if I go to the posted in area, the shade of the print with the black background plays a few tricks on me. I’m sure other old folks with eye problems may find the same problem haha. Nice changed format. Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys.

Our site designer’s wife had a baby in July, so us non-internet geeks have been trying to upgrade the layout and do some stuff while he dealt with that issue.

He’s telling us he’s back in action now, and this is just the first of his tweeks, I will mention the white on black concerns.

18. habs-fan-84 says:

lol really? We’re supposed to feel sorry for the European locals who have lost a job as a result of an NHLer…

It is what it is, the NHLers want to keep their skills fresh so they go to Europe to play, big deal. When the lock out is over (yes, at some point it will end) the NHLers will come back and the locals will get their jobs back. I fail to see what the problem is. People act in their own best interest (for good reason). Given the players position, would you not do the same?

• adamkennelly says:

agreed. I have no problem with their actions. they are being LOCKED OUT of their jobs – they should be allowed to pursue other opportunities. but they could tone down the sympathy play. I still think the real solution to this is contraction of the money loosing teams – which means less NHL jobs – so there is some hypocrisy going on with the players as well with these actions. whatever – life is competitive – deal with it.

• commandant says:

Why do we need contraction?

Put a second team in Toronto and one in Quebec City, that solves your Phoenix and Columbus problem.

Proper Revenue sharing and a slight reduction in player share (which they agreed to) solves the rest.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

I think a contraction of 2 teams would be sensible, in that there are probably 6-8 teams in the league consisntently losing sizable amounts of money. Shifting 2 of the worst elsewhere helps to a degree, but by shifting 2 and eliminating 2 you make a tremendous impact on the amount of revenue sharing required to help the teams remaining in peril.

Also, from a quality of player perspective, eliminating 2 teams will slightly tweak the talent pool in the league.

Just my thought on matter.

• Hobie Hansen says:

A 1 in 28 chance is better than a 1 in 30. I’m all for it since the Habs will need all the help they can get.

• shiram says:

Contraction would also help having balanced divisions, 7 teams in each 4 divisions. Same could be said of adding 2 teams, and more teams/games/players would likely increase revenue for the league.
            I’d still favor contraction though, for the same reasons as Gerald

• commandant says:

We have better quality of players now with 30 teams than we did in the 1980s with 21 teams… or in the 70s with dillution between the NHL and WHA.

The fact is that there are more Americans in the league than ever before, more Swedes, more Finns, more Czechs, more Slovaks, even players from Denmark, Slovenia, Norway, Switzerland, Latvia, and Germany.

While the numbers of Russians are down, we still have over 20 which is one full NHL team of players.

Yes increased teams usually waters down a product, but in this case the global expansion of available players means that it actually hasn’t had that effect.

• frontenac1 says:

Agree 100%. Too many moneylosing teams in markets where hockey has never worked on a consistant basis is,I believethe cause of this mess.

19. Bripro says:

If we rallied today to stir up some interest from the rest of Canada on a rebellion pertaining to this lock-out, surprisingly, not too many Canadians would jump on the band wagon.

20. Bripro says:

Here’s an interesting chart showing how financially-deprived the players are.
    It would be nice to show a similar of the owners.

21. JoeC says:

So Cal a person in any business is locked out by there boss because they want to pay you less finds a job waiting god knows how long the lockout lasts is a scab? If the employee made $10 an hour u would not call them scabs , Just cause the players make more does not change the fact that the work stoppage was their boss not there choice, so not a scab

22. Captain aHab says:

If the NHL goes down for a while, anybody up to start AHL Inside Out? ;-D

Or maybe we need something less “lawsuitable” like ToTheDogs.com.

We could rotate between members as far as who does the live blog.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

I can see that happening Captain, I suspect a bunch of us living in the Hamilton area will be attending quite a few games this year.

• habstrinifan says:

I am all for something like that. Not to offend anyone but I am a little tired of coming to the site and reading all the pros and cons re the labour dispute: who’s right or wrong; how incongruous are claims of hardships from either side when viewed through the lens of the everyday working stiff etc etc.

I am uninterested in the merits of either side’s position. It is simply a matter of pecuniary self interest to me. Even vilifying or aproving one sid eor the other is useless. Your sugestion to concentrate on our AHL team while we wait the conflict out is an excellent one.

And my suggestion for the name “Check-d-dogs-out.com”.

• Captain aHab says:

I’m witcha……don’t really care who is right or wrong and not going to take sides and argue as it is P.O.I.N.T.L.E.S.S.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

23. JoeC says:

The players are not the ones that initiated the strike , it was the owners so they are not scabs get over it

While coming off a Cup win should help increase a franchise value, I am not sure the current lockout helps the selling price of a team. L.A. Kings are up for sale.

25. Captain aHab says:

Anybody know what the deal is with watching AHL games online? Do they have a season’s package? All I see right now seems to be the links for last year and it looks like single games only.

Oh and yes I know about free streams but the quality often sucks.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think you will find all the info here, Capt.

———————————–

• Captain aHab says:

That’s the page I’m looking at but all I see are single game archives. I’m guessing the new info just isn’t up yet but was wondering if anyone knew what was done last year.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• superkev420 says:

I have been wondering about the free streams. I dont really care about quality, i just want to watch some games for free.

Anyone have a site that would streams the bulldogs?

Many thanks.

Somebody posted a site a few weeks back that streams all AHL games, it was undetermined if they charged $ for the stream.

Edit: Check the link provided above by Habfan 10912

• JF says:

I believe hockeystreams.com streams AHL games, but I’m not sure if they’re free. Sportlemon.tv is free, with OK quality. Not sure if they have AHL games.

• Captain aHab says:

Can’t remember which of the free streams I looked at but I definitely watched a few games last year or the year before. It must have been one of the main sites like atdhe.net. The quality was just pretty bad though.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

I know that Sportsnet is talking of increasing its Junior and AHL coverage, I suspect given the ownership stake of Rogers in Leafland this will mean an increase in Marlies games televised. Good news is the Bulldogs do play the Marlies quite a few times.

I am keeping a look out for any announcements pertaining to Bulldogs TV coverage here in the Hamilton (Burlington) area Captain, and will try keep everyone apprised of any developments.

Here is an updated list of the scab players from the NHL and where they are headed to play this month (commandant, no need to hit the reply button!).

A hypothetical question, if I may. Let’s say a young star player like Skinner or Eberle is OK with the idea of going over to Europe to steal a job from a local player. He can live with that judgement call.

Right now, he has been sent to the AHL to play against some hackers for the sum of around &75,000. Why not do what the other pros are doing (star players such as Thornton and Nash) and go play for a Swiss team? Maybe get 500 grand tax free with complimentary accommodation and a car (he would need to take out injury insurance). He would only have to play twice a week and get the experience of a lifetime living in Switzerland instead of some hell hole like Hamilton or Grand Rapids.

If I’m Nugent-Hopkins, I’m telling the Oilers to stuff it.

• Old Bald Bird says:

To me a “scab” is a player who takes a striking guy’s job. I know it’s just semantics, but I just had to put it out there. Otherwise, do carry on.

Edit: Oops. That wasn’t meant to be a reply to you but a general comment.

• 24 Cups says:

Agreed. I just couldn’t come up with a better description. How about the term grackles?

The issue of NHLers going over to Europe to play and indrectly bump a local out of a job has been debated all week on the site. I think it’s safe to say that both viewpoints are fairly well entrenched so any further debate will not change anyone’s mind.

• Curtis O Habs says:

A striking unionized member who seeks employment elsewhere applying the same trade is most definitely a SCAB. Would a striking auto worker go build cars for the competition? Would a striking steel worker go manufacture steel for the competition? As a unionized Locomotive Engineer I can assure you my well being would be in jeopardy if I operated freight trains while on strike. The NHLPA calls themselves a union. It is time start acting like one. The NHLPA is more like a fraternity.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Sorry. I repent my grave sin. I’ve just never heard it used in that context.

• Ozmodiar says:

Are the players on strike? Just wondering…

• HabsPEI31 says:

The correct definition of a scab is “a person who continues to work during a strike or who accepts employment to replace workers on strike.”

However, in this matter between the NHL and the NHLPA, the players have been locked out. There is no strike to speak of, ergo the NHL players are not scabs.

I do wonder though, if the NHL were to seriously look at hiring scabs, would Europe-based players come play here, seeing how their jobs have been taken over there by NHL players?

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• wjc says:

Yes if they would hire him he could work for a competitor. Scab is crosssing the effing picket line period. Going somewhere else is called survival of the fittest. You can work anywhere that will hire you if they are not on strike.

CROSSING THE PICKET LINE IS A SCAB . Taking someones job when they are locked out/on strike is a SCAB.

• Cal says:

The Oilers decision on the young guns may have had more to do with their RFA status and the contract they signed (along with their agents to oversee that).
      All the folks in Hamilton now love you. ;)

27. Habfan10912 says:

Interesting poll results thus far. Count me in as a pessimist. Must admit that I was wrong. I never thought we’d get to a lockout. Now I won’t be surprised if it last a season.
    Ian’s right. Go Army, Dogs, UND……….

———————————–

• habstrinifan says:

I am in the same shocked state as you are. I never thought that there was gonna be a stoppage, either lockout or strike. But now that it ha shappened and if it goes pass the start of the regular season, I share your expectation that it could last the season.

28. JohnBellyful says:

Lockout – Day Four
    Changed my HIO profile. I’m now six-foot-four and still have hair. Changed my signature as well: “Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy.”
    Very apropos. Has nothing to do with hockey. Just like the NHL.
    Picked up a book at the library. 1,250 pages. Why not, I got time, although I’ve never really understood quantum physics. The diagrams look neat, though. Remind me … of … ‘sniff, sniff’ … hockey plays …The System … Uncle Jacques …
    Good gawd, when is this NHL patch going to kick in?

Perhaps a new avatar would help the patch kick in. Granted i am not sure a new avatar would catch your good side as well as your current avatar John.

• Habfan10912 says:

We are all in trouble if JB is now reading quantum physics. What’s next? Medieval Latin? :)

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

To quote but one idea of five embodied in the theory of quantum physics:
        “It is physically impossible to know both the position and the momentum of a particle at the same time. The more precisely one is known, the less precise the measurement of the other is.”
        I just subsitute ‘player’ for ‘particle’ and it all makes me sense to me. Sorta.
        Corsi and Fenwick, on the other hand, still leave me confused.

• Cal says:

And I thought I had it bad. JB rises above us all (with his shiny new 6′ 4″ inch frame and hair), delivering a true addict’s view of the lockout. I mean, my God, he’s even turned to quantum physics to block out the pain. Somewhere in the vast universe, Stephen Hawking is laughing (and hiccoughing).

• Bripro says:

I too changed part of my profile (well actually, my Avatar).
      I was tired of trying to rationalize why I’m waking up in the morning, all green.
      If Colbert can used gangrene to cure his bent manhood, I figured I could use it to stimulate my mid-sized (but impressive) frame, with the chrome-dome top.
      So applying it freely every night, commencing around the same time that Butthead announced the anticipated lock-out, how was I to know that there would be a pigmented overgrowth of my physique.
      So now, I keep shredding clothes. And trust me, spandex don’t stretch like they’re supposed to.

• habstrinifan says:

John, I am learning to parlez vous en francais during the lockout.
      Wish me luck. Enjoy your book. What does a 1250 page book looks like. My limit is 96 pages. You know paperback western novels.

Have to wonder if perhaps some agents and players misread an opportunity this offseason. I think particularly of PK Subban and his agent Don Meehan. Given the likelihood of a missed season or at least a signifacant portion, perhaps a player like PK should have looked at a 2 year deal for a reasonable payout but include one of those significant “Signing Bonuses”.

If PK had taken what the Habs originally offered 2 years 3.5 per season (if I recall correctly) but had 2mill. in signing bonus he would end up with more money than potentially receiving no money this season and then signing a new contract taking effect when hockey does return.

Heard on TSN this morning from Dreger that the OHL is going to introduce some new rules as it pertains to the “Serial” fighter type player. Sounds like players involved in more than 10 fights throughout the season will be facing much heavier suspensions. This sounds like Branch is moving in the right direction, lets hope the NHL notices and perhaps also starts to try reduce the role of the “NHL Heavyweight” who had no other role on a team than fighting.

While it isn’t a good thing that Kristo was involved in activities causing a suspension, it does appear that the actions weren’t of a grave nature. Sounds more like some college kids having a party. Perhaps in light of recent stories of Hockey players getting away with terrible actions (thinking of the Boston Univ. story) UND felt the need to show they are trying to run a tight ship.

Good Morning Jim, have a good day sir.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Gerald. Yeah, sounds harmless but reading between the lines it appears some underage drinking may have been occurring. Good for the school taking quick action with some follow through. Hopefully it”s a lesson learned by all. Been there. Done that, eh?

———————————–

I attended a University in B.C. and our basketball team always had a few Americans on our team. Was always kind of interesting how when they crossed the border it was okay to have a few beers at age 19 but when we went down to play some games in the States, all of a sudden all of us guys under 21 had to “refrain”. Of course being raised in Manitoba we had a drinking age of 18, so the whole issue of what age a person is able to tolerate alcohol is a grey issue.

I think the lesson here is Kristo is a leader on the team and despite him being of age to drink in the U.S. he was expected to be a mature leader. Can’t say I would have been a much better leader if placed in the exact same situation. What I do know is that come the winters in the prairies I did always have my winter boots at the ready! ;-) Perhaps that lesson has been learned.

31. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

screw everyone I want hockey!

32. matt jordan says:

The NHL has to be the only business that locks out its employees and closes the door as a negotiation tactic. Idiots. Bettman can go suck an egg. Three lockouts in his tenure? Pathetic.

I miss complaining about Gauthier and Gomez.

Remember when Gauthier traded Sergei Kostitsyn for Dan Ellis and Dustin Boyd (Who both became UFA’s the next day)? Hilarious.

• wjc says:

Matt; I know this will mean nothing to you, but, here goes. If Bettman does not lockout the players, then the players will strike at an inappropriate time….just before playoffs perhaps.

Why not bring up Gautier’s good trades, some of the young prospects coming up are because of his trades. Also, I think Boyd is on Gainy’s resume.

You see, you might as well complain about no hockey, because you will find something else to complain about, if there was hockey. Complaining is part of some people’s nature.

wjc

Sitting outside, by the fire… having a beer… wanting to be Scott Gomez.

34. Trisdin says:

I assume that Galchenyuk is in Sarnia?

35. ari says:

anyone watching this hour has 22 minutes now.?your body p.k on it

Three words. W. H. L.

37. HabFab says:

Update on the Kristo suspension, party apparently was for the “team initiations”.

38. JF says:

RDS says that a bunch of Quebec players, instead of looking for jobs in Europe, are planning to organize a charity hockey tournament. They will put together two teams and travel around Quebec, playing in the different towns. Proceeds will go to charity. The project is the initiative of Maxim Talbot and Bruno Gervais. Other players whose names have been mentioned in connection with it are David Perron, Glaude Giroux, Daniel Brière, and Marc-André Fleury. If players are concerned with staying in game shape, this is one way to achieve it without rushing off to Europe.

• Ron says:

Bravo if this is the case. It might catch on in other Provinces where there is a concentration of players. Keep in shape and still give fans some hockey.

• wjc says:

How boring will the games be. No team to hate, just guys skating around like the ice capades…good will gesture, okay for the young kids. It won’t work in my opinion.

• Ron says:

If they come too your area don’t go. But if they come east I would venture to a game whether its ice capades or not. My only chance to see some of these players up close. It looks like you fall into your own discription of people will complain about anything, its part of their nature.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

How long before Antichambre start to break down the results of these games? These teams still won’t have enough Quebecers for them. ;)

• TPlow says:

I’m trying to ignore all of the NHL/NHLPA idiocy, but this idea makes me think it would be cool if players from the various provinces or regions put teams together and we had a different sort of Canada Cup. Might do the players a bit of good in the PR war.

39. commandant says:

All this talk of how big “scabs” the players are for going to Europe and how awful it is that they are stealing the jobs of bottom liners.

Yet not one comment about how the Oilers sending RNH to Oklahoma City, or the Canes sending Jeff Skinner to the AHL, or a number of other young NHL regulars going to the AHL is stealing the jobs of guys who should be on the fourth line in the AHL, and forcing them to the ECHL.

Or how those guys are now stealing ECHLer jobs.

Or so on down the line.

Wonder why its okay here, but many will rail about the inequity in Europe?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

I haven’t ever called the players scabs, but do question the motives of the players going to Europe. Having said that, the AHL and ECHL are direct feeder leagues somewhat funded by the NHL itself. Many players in the AHL are also union members in the NHL. Bumping as you call it, is a natural occurence between these leagues. Not sure this same bumping is a natural when comparing NHL players going to KHL, Swiss, Swedish elite leagues etc.

I see your point Ben, but I think there is a difference.

Of course I also think both parties are to blame in the current CBA negotiations and don’t place all the blame on the greedy owners and their leader Bettman.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Are you suggesting that the players who are contractually obligated to report to AHL clubs are “Scabs”, or that NHLPA members playing in Europe are not “Scabs”?

P.S. Whoever is using the word “Scabs” is not using it properly.

• commandant says:

I’m not suggesting anything. Just saying its a word I’ve seen thrown around on the site, and mentionned in radio call in shows, and in other places as well.

I stated earlier in another post that the players can’t possibly be scabs as this is a lockout and not a strike, and they are not working for the same NHL owners.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I agree with you mostly (that players in Europe only have their jobs because better players didn’t want them) , but Jeff Skinner and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins have little choice but to report to the AHL, so I don’t think that the belief that one situation is “OK”, but the other is “Not Cool” is necessarily illogical.

• Kooch7800 says:

I view the European leagues and the players going to the AHL as two very different things. NHL and AHL are directly linked and send players down all the time and not all players have that option if they are on one way contracts only young players in development in entry level deals or two way contracts. Any other player must clear waivers

In the Euro leagues they are taking jobs from players who make a lot less money than they do. I don’t think that is right in my opinion. Leave the other leagues alone> They should have to stay there the entire season if they play there but obviously the owners of the other leagues want to sell tickets as well….

• wjc says:

Scabs? Stealing jobs?….first of all playing for anyone other than the NHL does not make you a scab. Playing without a contract in the NHL would make you a SCAB.

Stealing jobs….that is the nature of the business. A player makes the team, another player is cut. Skinner goes to the AHL because he is eligible, that is the nature of the business. Sits in the press box perhaps. Players rotate in and out of the line-up to make room.

Great for the gate receipts, people want to check out Skinner, so owner of AHL teams make more money. Play wherever you can, it is the nature of the game, better players play, fringe players suffer.

NHL teams do it all the time and fans cheer it.

40. HabFab says:

@Habfan10912
    Jim here is the link to be able to catch PK on TV later;

41. HabFab says:

Gorges greases Gionta good!

Giostyle21 I was just at Great Skate with my son checking out some gear! He loved it. Check it out for urself at greatskate.com. Cool stuff

jgorges26 @Giostyle21 are you guys still sharing equipment or has he out grown you now??? #beauty

42. HabFab says:

For those panicking about Kristo being suspended, the real story.
    Team players had a party, alcohol was consumed. Legal drinking age is 21 so most were underage. Team Captain and 3 Assist Captains (Kristo) suspended for a game plus charity work and alcohol counseling.

• frontenac1 says:

Something very wrong with a country that has no problem sending a kid of 19 overseas to fight and die for his country but still can’t have a drink until 21.

• Duracell3 says:

I think that would be fine, but the first part of that sentence is fundamentally disingenuous.

• frontenac1 says:

You are right amigo. Looks like I had a Romney moment and shot first and aimed second. Kristo is 22yrs old. So why was he suspended? Must have been something else.

• HabFab says:

The Team Captain and 3 Assistant Captains (inc Kristo) were suspended for having the party to initiate new players and “corrupt” the underagers with alcohol.

• wjc says:

Frontenac, One thing you forget, no one gets drafted into the military, you join voluntarily. So your eyes are wide open to the possibilities.

21 is legal drinking age, for some that is even too young.

• frontenac1 says:

WJC, I get that part.I Just dont understand how a person is old enough and mature enough to give his life or take another life for his country,but not mature enough to have a drink. I guess growing up in Quebec where everything was age 18, is the source of my confusion. That and numerous destroyed brain cells from the demon liquor.

43. HabFab says:

Dave_Stubbs – #Habs charity golf tourney Weds is 1st collateral damage for club since lockout began. No players; just management, alumni for big donors.

Apparently there is a big demand to play with HiB, who has been working hard all summer to be ready for the big one ;)

44. Mavid says:

not sure if any of you have heard this yet..funny except of course for that ugly puss…

45. HabFab says:

Collberg rocked at the U20 tournament but not so well with the Elite league.

Habsfuture : Seb Collberg once again looking at a whopping 0.00 ice-time projection for tonight’s game.

46. HabFab says:

A translation on an article about Archambault who scored 10 points in 6 preseason games;

Olivier Archambault is a player transformed
    More engaged, more effective and more consistent: Olivier Archambault is a player transformed since the start of training camp Drummondville Voltigeurs. At age 19, the gifted Repentigny he succeed to forget his miserable season and he answered finally the great expectations placed on him since the Val-d’Or Foreurs made ​​it the first choice total at the draft in 2009?

47. Hobie Hansen says:

I hope Weber and Diaz stay over there. They are two of the smallest, softest and worthless defensemen in the league.

We’ve got Markov, Subban and Kaberle to supply offense from the back end so we don’t need a couple of tiny guys that have a slight bit of offensive flair but nothing else.

They’ve got Gorges and Emelin that will provide Price with some real hard work in front of him (mostly Gorges) but the Habs are severely missing a real intimidatory guy back there who can play solid defense. Not Weber or Diaz…Please!

But eesh, things aren’t looking like there’s going to be NHL hockey anytime soon.

• commandant says:

Yes, lets just let these guys rot in Switzerland.

Not like we could trade them for other assets.

Or god forbid develop one of them for when Markov and Kaberle eventually leave (both will be UFA on July 1st 2014, and surely 1 if not both will not be re-signed)

• HabFab says:

Go commandant!!

• Ron says:

By 2014 we have some of the Dogs that should be ready that will need spots. Were not sure whether the Habs had not already tried to trade them for assets last season without success. It still gives the Habs 2 seasons to trade for or sign as a free agent more capable than the Swiss boys.

• commandant says:

They are still assets to the team, you don’t just throw out assets and get nothing back for them. This is the problem that got Gauthier into such trouble as a GM, undervaluing his assets and not getting enough in return for them.

• Ron says:

If this lockout lasts all year then I don’t agree to keep them. PG was a poor evaluator of talent and yes they may walk for squat as BG let many go the same route. I do think they were shopped with no hits and could be the same if held onto. I myself would like to see MB go on the search for a bigger version of either Swss boys. We do have players coming down the pipes to fill out the roster nicely.

• commandant says:

You are assuming they were shopped and no one wanted them. We have no evidence of that.

Perhaps they weren’t shopped?

Or

Perhaps teams weren’t willing to pay the asking price.

Just because they weren’t traded, doesn’t mean your conclusion that they were shopped and no one wanted them is correct.

• Ron says:

Sure as hell dosen’t mean they were not either. And if they were then why not have taken some picks for these assets. When it comes to these 2, Weber in particular a 4th and a 5th would have been a bonus IMO.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Maybe one will develop into Kaberle…WOW! By then we’ll have Beauleau, Tinordi, Thrower and maybe Nash in the lineup.

Like I said, a couple of smallish defenseman with a bit of offensive upside are a dime a dozen.

Addition by subtraction in my books!

48. Habfan17 says:

If I were teams in Europe, I would only let these guys sign for one full season. If they need the money so bad, let them stay there!

They can stay in shape without taking someone elses job.

Solidarity in the NHLPA is a joke! Instead of heading overseas, sit in Fehr’s office and tell him to get in there, negotiate the easier items then stay in the room until the tough issue are resolved and there is an agreement. that is what you do if you want to play so bad.

Same to Bettman, the owners should be in there and order him back to the table. This is ridiculous and unnecessary!

Habfan17

• commandant says:

1st thing, any player with an NHL contract would be sued by his team if he signed a one year deal without an out clause and the NHL lockout ended.

2nd thing, any team that comes from a league with a valid NHL transfer agreement would face further legal sanctions if these players don’t have agreement.

3rd thing 700 players in Fehr’s office isn’t going to make for easy negotiations.

• Duracell3 says:

^ What he said.

Plus, many if not most NHLers now playing in Europe are doing so for tiny prices, or in many cases for nothing except the price to insure them.

Also, if you followed the proceedings, the NHL has effectively refused to negotiate anything until the big financial difference is out of the way.

• wjc says:

Everything is just so dog gone simple. Example, I have a car, I want $10,000.00 for it, you are willing to give me $5,000.00 for it. I won’t budge…you won’t budge.

So we glare at each other, waiting for the other to give in. I won’t give in, you won’t give in. In your world sitting there staring at each other will help.

So we leave and you and I get criticized for not making a deal. Mean while the wife say’s don’t you dare pay more then $5,000.00 and the owner of the car lot says “don’t take less then $10,000.00

Stale mate, not check mate. Creative minds will figure it out. Maybe in time you have to move the car, maybe in time I get tired of walking.

49. JayK-47 says:

Thx guys (and possibly gals?) for answering my smartphone question the other day. I didn’t answer then because I was decently sick and sleep about 2 days away. (Too sick to HIO even!)

50. Kevy says:

I’m not that big on conspiracy theories but could it be that this is all a big publicity stunt? Maybe the owners and players both want to play , but the longer this drags out the more press they get. Maybe NHL in the news for anything besides head injuries and bench clearing brawls is good for the game. Maybe a little absence makes the heart grow fonder at work here. Hey Columbus, Pheonix don’t you miss hockey??? Maybe they have an agreement but want to stretch out the feeling of what it’s like without hockey to the new American fans so they come back in higher numbers?

Nah we’re too smart to fall for something like that.

• frontenac1 says:

Thanks for linking that Bri . I read that yesterday . One of the few honest reports of the situation.

• Mustang says:

Wouldn’t it be great if boycotts could be organized in all of the NHL cities so that virtually no one attended the first games once this stupid lockout was over? Maybe the owners (and players) would have a little more respect for the fans after seeing all of the empty seats.

• Rozz says:

I agree 100%! I had suggested something of that sort a few days ago… of course I was suggesting that we should boycott all NHL games and product for the same amount of time that they stay locked out for. But I think the first game in each arena would be way more feasible.

Hell I say let’s force our way into the negotiations with our own proposal that goes a lil something like this…

“Dear NHL a**holes… I mean owners and players, we regret to inform you that since you have embarked on this stupid lock out venture for the 4th time in the last 20 years, we the fans, are getting fed up with all your abuse of our loyalty and hard earned money. there for we will not be attending the first game of the season when you decide to return. We would also like to inform you that for every additional week you continue this ridiculous lock out nonsense we will add an additional game to our boycott (this condition is subject to change without notice and may become 2 or more games added per week as we see fit). We no longer care who is to blame… or who is “right” and who is “wrong” as the only ones who are really being hurt by this are the fans… you know the real people who pay you all the money you are fighting over! That being said, our proposal to you is that you best get to working out a deal ASAP before WE lock YOU out for an entire season and you have no money to fight over at all.

Sincerely, your pissed off fans”

that outta do it.

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

Mark Twain.

• wjc says:

Rozz : long time no talk to, how are ya doing.

However, as usual I disagree, sorry. Your theory would not work. Fans cannot be organized seriously.

First of all the teams have the season ticket money in the vault. If you want a refund they will give it to you in 15 day intervals or give you interest on the money in 15 day intervals or put the interest towards next years purchase.

When hockey returns people will want to use their tickets that they have already paid for. It they refuse, well then there is a long lineup of people that will use that seat.

Now the lock out. This is done because it prevents the players from striking at an inappropriate time, like playoffs (done before). This was duly noted and put on the “never again” side of the ledger.

If you have not invested your play money into season tickets, then you cannot be hurt. Emotionally hurt perhaps, but not financially, you are probably ahead if you cancel your pay-per-view options etc.

The players are not hurt, they are by any standard, quite wealthy. They get strike pay, can play somewhere else if they are good enough. Strike pay would make you blush, if you actually knew how much. They have investments that pay interest, wives that work, and endorsements.

Owners fill their open dates with ice capades, concerts etc.

Fan boycott would not work, too much competition for tickets. Just grin and bare it and find other distractions.

51. commandant says:

Escobar suspended over slur

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks Ben. This is getting a lot of press in the NY market and I’m glad the league has suspended him. His excuse was almost Sammy Sosa like, huh?

———————————–

• commandant says:

His excuse really doesn’t hold water. Nor does the explanation of teammate Omar Vizquel.

As fellow site writer Max Warner stated in his piece before the suspension news was out, how did his teammates (the spanish speaking ones in particular) and coaches (again some of whom speak spanish) go the entire game without noticing and saying something.

• Ron says:

Thanks for your reply to a question from the previous thread. I must commend you for your honesty and unwavered opinion. Its not many people who would stand and put in print that they don’t care what country a player comes from or how many North American boys they take jobs from as long as their a better player. I don’t follow that line of thinking but I have to honor yours. Everyone to their own. Again, I commend you for your honesty.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Although this is not to smear commandant, I have to disagree. People who believe the player’s country of origin is irrelevant are more likely to admit to having that opinion than the opposite scenario. If someone like Don Cherry says you need good Canadian boys, he gets called a biggot. Commandant’s opinion is much more PC and safe… Not to say that is why you have that opinion, commandant.

• wjc says:

Ron, hockey is a competitive game. If the Canadiens or a team you cheer for had a chance for a scoring sensation from Russia, are you saying you would be more concerned that a lessor player would be out of a hockey job.

That is the nature of the sport, you do it until you can’t. Players retire because they are pushed out by younger better players.

The league is full of players that are not from North America and have pushed native players to the side lines.

If your team did not take the best talent available you would feel cheated and angry. Sorry to burst your bubble but these are the facts.

• Ron says:

You sure as hell are not breaking my bubble boy. This is in relation to more than just 1 or 2 players. It was in relation to a scenario of 100 KHL players coming over here and pushing out North American players in a full swing. I or 2 players I have no problem with when they excell. Before you go around being sorry for breaking bubbles, know what you are speaking of.

52. otter649 says:

PK Subban is supposed to appear on CBC “This Hour has 22 Minutes” tonight…..

Let’s keep the talk about the AHL, Major Junior, and US Collegiate hockey.
    The lockout will persist for more than this year for sure! Maybe even two full years.
    It will be a once and for all time fight, this time around without question.!

• Habfan10912 says:

Just checked Army’s schedule. No games until mid October. Not the best brand of hockey mind you but its all I got down here. Will have to make a trip to the Hammer and visit Burly and Guy sometime before the snow flies.

———————————–

• solomio says:

Better yet why don’t we petition RDS/CBC/TSN whomever to rebroadcast the complete Habs Halakian season. Right from start to finish. If the lock out lasts that long we’ll get to see the Habs in the playoffs. Hockey to look at and cheer about. Not that any of us remembers the games anyway.
      Smashing idea what?

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• pH-Habs says:

Ian! I always read you as a voice of reason! A multi-season lockout?! We’ll need the hockey we can get… When are the next Olympics…

• Habfan17 says:

I am with you Ian! Go Bulldogs Go!

Habfan17

• wjc says:

Ian, there are no “for sure”. This thing could be settled tomorrow. Two full years hardly. I think it will be settled soon. Stop using “for sure” and “without question” it ruins your credibility. I know some think you above criticism, because they know you personally. But it is, what it is.

• Ron says:

No need of that comment WJC. Thats the opinion expressed by Ian on HIS feelings. Making that comment yourself shows alot of what you lack. You sure don’t need to worry about ruining your credibility, you have none to start with.

54. Darksyde says:

You know what I’d like to see happen in this lockout BS? For someone to say, “We (NHL & NHLPA) both say to the fans we don’t want a lockout, and we do it all for the fans. Fine, then let’s both put all HRR in an escrow account to be handled by a 3rd impartial party, that will be held in trust until a settlement is reached. The only parties paid would be Non Player Staff, travel providers, lodging providers, equipment providers, and charities. No owner or player would receive a penny until the CBA issue is settled.”
    Any group who would say no to this is a hypocrite, and fully deserving of the People’s wrath. And if the agree to it, I bet you…stuff…would get worked out PDQ.

55. Bripro says:

So Brian Gionta tweeted that he was checking out hockey gear at greatskate.com with his son..
    I wonder if they share the same equipment….
    What size is his son?
    It’s like my grandson. My wife says he has my legs. And since he’s half-native, we call him “no-leg running pest”.

56. jon514 says:

So the Bulldogs play even if the NHL is locked out? This is a serious question, I thought they’d be locked out too as they are paid by the same owners.

• shiram says:

Michael Andlauer owns the Bulldogs.

• jon514 says:

Hi Shiram thanks for the reply. So when players are on the AHL side of a two-way contract, who pays the bills?

*Edit: Again, serious question.

• GrimJim says:

I don’t know for sure, but I think I read once that the NHL team pays the player’s AHL salary (and a few other AHL team expenses, I think) in return for being able to tell the AHL team who to play, who will coach, and the right to disrupt the AHL team by calling up/sending down players. I also think that if an AHL team signs someone to an AHL contract who’s rights are not owned by an NHL team, then the AHL team itself has to pay that player. Does that help?

• GrimJim says:

The AHL players have their own union.

Andlauer also owns a small percentage of the Habs also. It is my understanding from someone I met who knows him, that his motive for buying the Dogs was to become a part owner of the Habs.

57. Bripro says:

From what I’ve been reading, the NHLPA had the option of extending the current CBA one more year, and the league two.
    If the players exercised that option, then it would become illegal to strike or lock-out the players.
    Excerpt:
    “Will a Strike of Lockout occur during the term of this CBA?

There shall at no time during the term of this Agreement be any strikes, walkouts or the use of any method of lockout.”

So why can’t the NHLPA exercise their option?

58. habs-hampton says:

I think the best thingv that could come out of this lockout is that after it is settled, some hi-profile players (Malkin, Ovi, or even Pleks) say thanks, but no thanks to their NHL teams and stay where they are in KHL or wherever. Thay would be SWEET! They could really stick it to Bettman and his band of yes-men.

• shiram says:

Much like the owners can’t help themselves throwing ridiculous monster deals, the player’s can’t help themselves either, and they’ll always go after those deals, and they are to be found in the NHL.
      KHL might be gaining ground, but it’s also rife with uncertainties about travel, pay and accomodations.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I think the KHL teams would be willing to blow their budgets for the next ten years just to sign players for the 2013-2014 season and have them in Russia immediately before and after the Olympics. If Russian players playing in the KHL can win the gold medal in Sochi the KHL will gain respect and credibility (if not in Canada, then at least in Russia and maybe other parts of Europe). The KHL has a strong incentive to land the best players at any cost.

• commandant says:

The IIHF stated that following Radulov’s situation, any future player who has a valid contract in the NHL and leaves for the KHL (or vice versa) would be suspended from IIHF events such as the olympics and World Championships.

This applies to all players after Radulov.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I have a hard time believing the IIHF would tell Datsyuk or Ovechkin that they couldn’t play in the Olympics.

P.S. Especially not to help a pro league that doesn’t want to give up it’s players for the olympic hockey tournament every four years, but instead would rather recreate the World Cup of Hockey that would lessen the appeal of the Olympics as the one and only best v. best hockey tournament on the planet.

P.P.S. …beyond that, the KHL could cover a player’s losses in the event of any potential law suite as part of that players compensation, and the NHL teams would probably forgive any settlement owed them in order to get their player’s back in the league.

I’m not predicting that this definitely will happen, but if anyone believes that hockey players are greedy above all else and that they’ll scurry to the league that pays them the most money, that belief is not necessarily an argument that every player will rush back to the NHL, especially considering the fact that the NHL has locked out the union in an attempt to reduce player salaries.

• commandant says:

Ovechkin, Malkin, Plekanec and others would be in serious breach of contract if he does not return to the NHL once it resumes, and would be sued by their clubs.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

As a huge NFL fan, and a huge fan of the Classic NFL Films, sad day today that Steve Sabol passes away at age 69.

Those great films showing the classic Raider versus Steeler games with players in slow-mo being shown up close breathe showing in the cold weather, or blood stains all over their uniforms was classic stuff.

Perhaps as well produced a highlight show of sports as I have ever seen.
    RIP Mr. Sabol.

60. PeterD says:

I have two different and opposing thoughts on players going overseas during a lock out..so don’t lash out about the different views expressed here..just my opinions.

On the one hand I think they are scabs…so much for the solidarity with their brothers the 2nd, 3rd and 4th liners (probably 80%) that will not be able to earn money playing hockey overseas. I think it is dispicable that the talented, high priced players will work overseas and take other jobs from players there, while the rest of the lower priced players get screwed during the lock out.

On the other hand, I say all the power to those that can find employment elsewhere during the lock out.

In fact I think since the league has chosen to lock the players out and the collective aggreement they signed their contracts under is now over, I think players should be able to sign with any other league for as long as they want…not just term contracts for the duration of the lock out.

These temporary short term, lock out duration contracts with overseas leagues is hypocritical, dispicable and destructive to the Players associate…simply allowing the rich players to continue making money and staying in top shape while the rest of the players struggle along trying to stay in shape and hoping the labour dispute is resolved soon so they can pay their bills, feed their families and stop serving burgers at the local MacDonalds drive thru window.

THe NHLPA should implement a ruling that during a lock out players can sign to play with whom ever they want but the contracts must be for the full season with no right to return to the NHL should the lock out end early and the season re-start. That would take some of the casual nature out of the players going overseas and make them commit to their NHLPA negotiating positions.

• AceMagnum says:

I would never lash out at you.

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

• PeterD says:

Come on lets hug it out… :-)

• Drive4twenty5 says:

What would be better is that during the lock out let other leagues buy there NHL contract. They owners will think twice when Malkin’s contract is bought by a KHL team. Remember KHL players pay no tax. Ah maybe I’m just bitter about this whole thing lol.

“Well, he’s a thoroughbred, and maybe your wife doesn’t recognize that, but then again, I can’t bake bread all that well. We all have different skills.” …Bob Gainey “Classic”

• joeybarrie says:

Are we considering Weber and Diaz top players above the 2nd, 3rd and 4th line players?
      The players didn’t choose to be locked out. They want to play. They just want not to take a chunk of an already existing contract and give it back, because the owners want it.
      Why would the NHLPA who is an advocate for the players want to force them into a negative situation by limiting their options.

• wjc says:

Peter d: Playing earning money somewhere else does not make you a scab.

Only if you crossed the line and played for the NHL would you be a scab.

Talent rules, if you are good enough and an offer is made you would be a fool not to accept, keeps you sharp and of course you are paid.

Players of lesser talent still get strike pay probably 3 or 4 times what the average person earns….monthly. With investments and interest and strike pay they are going to do quite well thank you.

Nobody is struggling or living off of Mac’donalds. You have to get your head around the fact that 99% are wealthy by any standard.

Because a player is locked out, does not mean he is entirely in favour of not settling, he is caught up in a majority rules situation even if it is 51%. If you saw the players financials you would soon realize that they are loaded. Even a player at the lowest pay scale ($500,000.00) is well off by any standards. They can defer income, in this case $425,000.00 could be deferred leaving $75,000.00 to live on. Do this for a couple of years and you have almost a million dollars, earning you interest……..at a modest 5% you could realize interest at $50,000.00 dollars for the year….

This money is compounded and if you wife works etc. you are on easy street even without hockey. Remember they get STRIKE PAY probably at around $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 per MONTH.

Spare the sympathy and tears for someone who deserves it.

• Habfan17 says:

I wouldn’t lash out at you either. I do think that whether they have the legal right to play elswehere or not, it is unethical and contradicts what they say they are fighting for, fairness. Of course there is also the solidarity aspect. I guess they don’t have a dictionary! They had the chance to exercise their option to extend the CBA for another year and chose not too. neither side put pressure on the other to get things done ealy in the off season. they could have negotiated all the smaller issues during the season and then immediately after the draft, worked out the rest. Bettman is an ass, he just wants to bully his way into fixing the loopholes he left open last time. They are all asses because we the fans pay the freight and continue to do so!

Habfan17

61. Rad says:

Hmmm … Bergevin just signed 3 French-Canadian center men for Hamilton, including Olivier Fortier. Leveille was a former 1st Round draft pick, can’t say I remember the name.

• jmsheehy19 says:

Should be interesting to see how the Bulldogs lineup. They seem to be deep on the RW but weak on the LW, not unlike the Habs.

• Timo says:

There is only one person I am interested in hearing Bergevin sign and that’s PK. All these other BS signing… they are that – BS signings.

• veryhabby says:

Leveille is from Ontario, St.Catherine. He is the 29th overall pick in ’08. Played 4 yrs in CCHA? Guess that’s lower then NCAA? Played for Mich State. I guess this is like a UFA signing. Has not played in AHL. Fortier is one of our prospects, simply resigned. The other kid 23 yr old Chaput or something like that, has played for numerous teams in AHL. A 5th round pick.

These 3 are 2 way contracts between AHL-ECHL. I will guess at least 2 end up in ECHL.

• commandant says:

CCHA is a conference in the NCAA… and is one of the better hockey conferences.

Certainly you have heard of the SEC in football? or the Big 12 or Big 10? The CCHA is the equivalent of those.

The CCHA, WCHA, and Hockey East are the three biggest conferences in college hockey (currently, re-alignment hits next year with the Big 10 coming to hockey to raid the CCHA and WCHA, and the remaining CCHA and WCHA teams merging into a new conference)… however we always expect the national champion to emerge from one of those 3 conferences, and its a shock if someone else were to win.

• Habfan17 says:

Interesting but what are they going to do with the other 4 centres?

Habfan17

• commandant says:

What Four Centres did the Bulldogs have?

Leblanc is pretty much a winger now.
        Nattinen was converted to LW late in the season, and played much better there than at Center

Bournival and Dumont are the only two who are sure things to actually play center

The Dogs were really lacking at Centre last season, and before today seemed to be weak at the position. There is still the question of who is the Dogs #1 centre, but at least we know they have depth.

62. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the owners have this ‘hammer’ of ‘lock-out’
    …what I would like to see is the NHLPA start rationalizing, ok Mr. Owners, notwithstanding We have an expired CBA between the NHL and NHLPA, there still exists legal, binding CONTRACTS between individual players and individual teams

…these legal, binding contracts guarantee my player services for your team at an agreed remuneration …you are today refusing to honor our contract, I am not being remunerated as agreed, and you are not providing myself the product I can provide my skills

…I therefore should have ‘the option’ to consider my ‘contract’ with you null and void if I feel it is in my best interest

…I would like to see a Malkin tell the Penguins I opt to ‘cancel’ my contract as a result of your non-compliance, and re-auction my services to the highest bidder, whether in the NHL or otherwise

…not only a Malkin, but the many players currently playing for the minimum and ineligible at this time for either RFA or FA-statuses

…owners seeing what they previously assumed were their player assets disappearing and lost to NHL or other leagues’ competitors, and a cold-reality they will have to rebuild player assets once this ‘lock-out’ is over, will wake-up and realize their ‘hammer’ has crushed their own nutz

…in short, I don’t understand why the NHLPA can not make the legal argument that ‘roll-backs’ and ‘lock-outs’ = a broken contract

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

Interesting idea HiS, and while a couple may get bigger deals in other leagues, there is no way the majority will get larger deals in other leagues. So have at it boys, go play elsewhere for less and remain firm in your principles.

I can’t stand either side in this process, I just wish the two egotistical leaders would cut the BS, sit down and hammer something out. A little give here, a little take there and Bingo they all start making money again. Except Phoenix, Jersey, Islanders, Panthers etc…..

• wjc says:

Hab in Surrey, they are part of a players union which bargains for them, they can cross the line and play and get paid, but they would then be considered scabs. If enough decided to follow that route you would have busted your own union.

Lock out = players union not crossing and making there own individual deals. The owners would allow players to break from the union. The contract is sanctioned by the players union with the teams.

• wjc says:

Habinburlington…no bad guys here, just two leaders doing their jobs.

Bettman has to get cost in line…..players cannot get majority of revenues. There is a salary cap in place, best players are rewarded nicely. That is not the problem. Expenses over the past 6 years have risen, transportation, front office expect raises, minimum wage is up for arena staff….sticks, hydro, heat on and on….nothing stays the same.

Fuer is trying to keep the status quo, this is hard to do with problems that have to be solved.

No one is really hurt, players go somewhere else if possible, they get strike pay, live off investments.

Owners have more ice capades, circus’s, rock shows, ufc, etc. fill in the calendar and keep the revenue’s flowing. The arena’s do not sit in darkness.

The players have a huge war chest full of money and are ready for a long fight.

The fans lose, but only emotionally, they actually save money and hopefully are wise enough to find alternative distractions.

I think they will settle this thing before the season starts and if they don’t prepare for a long drawn out lock out, with nobody really losing.

• Habfan17 says:

I like it! I would hazard a guess that there is an over ride in their contracts that makes the CBA take precedence so there would be no breach. That doesn’t mean that the players don’t have a legal issue with salary rollbacks.

Habfan17

63. frontenac1 says:

Yodel-leh-he-hoo! Who fu#king cares? Manning throws 3 picks in first quarter against the”Dirty Birds”? Whats up with that? Blew my pool.

64. geo_habsgo says:

I hope the regular shift Weber is going to get, hopefully as a top-4 D, is going to help his development. We know he won’t turn out to be a strong, physical D in this league or likely any other so being in a fast-paced, skating league might be good for his offensive development and his overall mobility.

I don’t really believe in Weber’s NHL potential anymore but it would be nice to be proved wrong!

Agree Geo, hopefully this helps Weber. Besides how can anyone get mad at Weber and Diaz, they have remained neutral by simply going home.

• Jim Edson says:

Maybe they will both stay in Switzerland.

Neither can handle the heavy going in the NHL and it shows!

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

65. Habitant in Surrey says:

…so, is the ‘lock-out’ over ???
    …sorry, I’ve been sleeping

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

66. Thomas Le Fan says:

Screw the fans! We can play somewhere else and Mr. Molson can go back to making beer. Let me know how this works out if I’m stupid enough to care.

67. shiram says:

Jiri Tlusty is rumoured to have signed with Kladno as well.