Devils win in OT; Kings one victory from Western final

Martin Brodeur

New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur makes a stick save during his team’s overtime win Thursday.
Andy Marlin, NHLI via Getty Images

Alexei Ponikorovsky scored 17:21 into the first overtime period Thursday might to lift the New Jersey Devils to a 4-3 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers and a 2-1 lead in their Eastern Conference semifinal.

In Los Angeles, the Kings knocked off the St. Louis Blues 4-2 to seize a commanding 3-0 lead in their Western semi. The Kings, who bounced Presidents Cup champion in a five-game quarterfinal, can advance to the conference final with a win Sunday on home ice.

• Friday night: the Nashville Predators hope to even up their Western semi at two games apiece against the Phoenix Coyotes.

1. rhino514 says:

that´s what makes people think he´s weird??
    Boy, I guess us North americans have become anti any show of individualism. I guess you just want a robot commentating like the rest of the tsn announcers.

2. The Cat says:

Tough spot for Trotz, damned if he did and damned if he didnt. People got to remember what caused it all before pointing the finger at him IMO.

Mornin Cat, agree with you completely. Don’t know what the conversations were between Trotz and Poile leading up to the deadline in acquiring AK and then re-acquiring Radulov.

End of day, those two players selfish actions are to blame for the conundrum surrounding them.

• The Cat says:

Good morning HIB. Also at the end of the day, the habs did good getting fair picks for dead weight (I know Gill is a good guy but his only skill was having an octopus like reach IMO) I can understand Nashville’s ‘go-for-it’ mentality but I prefer the “stick with what you got and the promote from the AHL if needed” mentality better.

3. Clay says:

Your “Pierre McGuire: “Byfuglien, Dustin Byfuglien” link is broken…here it is.

__________________________
    ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

4. The Jackal says:

LizardKing – I remember reading an article about McG taking the NBC job and how it was mostly for his family and stability. I forget the details, but it gives him a chance to grow hockey in the US as well as a more stable lifestyle. I don’t think he would take assistant GM as he enjoys his job and is paid handsomely, and he wouldn’t want to relocate his family or leave them to go elsewhere. So a new job would have to be extremely appealing for him to consider taking it, and assistant GM does not take the cake there. But you do make a good point.

5. commandant says:

What an ugly goal to win it for St. John.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

6. frontenac1 says:

Donalde Audette and his son on AC, strange…the last time I saw him he had his bag over his shoulder being sent down to Hamilton.He was never the same after he had his wrist tendon cut by a skate.Too bad,he was quite a sniper.Good to see his son lit it up in the Telus Cup.

• otter649 says:

When Audette was a free agent Montreal tried to sign him offering more money than Dallas did who signed him but later Habs traded for him & ended getting him for a lower priced contract……

7. Boomer says:

Hey Tom Nickel
    regarding our posts last night about Forsberg,I didnt get a chance to reply again last night (it was a good conversation though) i would love it if we drafted Nail, but it ain’t gonna happen. Galchenyuk would be sweet and Murray is the safest bet, but what i was getting at with Forsberg is I would be happy if we got him too. I would rather him than Grigorenko. Forsberg has great intensity every shift and has the potential to develop into a top 6 forward.I do understand your hesitation because of the lack of production when he plays with older more mature players but here is what i meant by “when he plays with guys his age” (Sweden Under 18 World Junior Championships 2010 and 2011 12GP 9G 4A 13PTS ) and we have to remember he was a 17 year old playing on swedens 3rd line at the under 20′s Next year he’ll be on their first line for sure.
    Can his skill set be compared to Nail or Grigs? No.
    But i’ve seen Grigorenko play in person twice ( in Quebec where my folks live) and a few times on TV. Both times he did not stick out and coasted a la Kostitsyn and yes this was when he was healthy. I’d be hesitant to use our pick on him. Hopefully we land Galchenyuk but between Grigs and Fors, I would lean more towards Forsberg because Grigs is more of a gamble IMO.
    And I mean no disrespect by all this, I hope thats not how it comes off. I do Respect your opinion. Sometimes on sites some people get offended easily but none is intended here :)
    Cheers Brother

8. HabFanSince72 says:

Trotz and Poile sure are brilliant.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

9. frontenac1 says:

I know, I know ,Buttman and his gang own the Yotes,but I like Smitty more than I hate Buttman!Go Yotes!!!

10. commandant says:

Go Yote Go!!!!

WOOOOOO!

We want the higher 2nd round draft pick.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

11. habsfan0 says:

Looks like Phoenix-Los Angeles western conference final.

Wonder who Bettman will cheer for?

• Duracell3 says:

Phoenix. I’m sure he’d like to make up some lost money to make all future financial aspects easier to keep them in the worst possible market.

• habsfan0 says:

Since the NHL owns the Coyotes, if Phoenix goes on to win the Stanley Cup..does that mean that Bettman will present the Cup..to himself?

• Duracell3 says:

I thought the same thing during the game tonight, negotiations might turn around if they were at least close to winning I suppose Maloney probably.

12. frontenac1 says:

Nickster! That’s amazing! Shakespeare?You should come up to the Verona Summer Festival! Smitty has been known to attend.

13. Duracell3 says:

May be old….but I finally found a video of Subban being injured:

• Habs_4_ever says:

With the way he plays it’s a wonder he hasn’t been hurt before, or more often.
      I was really looking forward to seeing him in this tournament.

————————
      “Can we lose the parade float?…..Thank you!”
      -This Old House, GMC commerciall-

Wow huge call!

15. frontenac1 says:

I hear ya Habsfan0! Grew up in Mtl. where everyone said”Thank god its friday” When I lived in TO ,everyone said”Thank god its monday!”Nuff said.

• habsfan0 says:

Things ARE definitely improving in Hogtown. They’re actually serving beer now at baseball games.

Seriously, things are changing probably due in no small measure to the fact there are so many ex-Montrealers here.

16. commandant says:

St. John (Beaulieu) and Rimouski headed to OT in game 1 of the Q final.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• otter649 says:

Have watched part of the junior game & heard one of the announcers Sam Cousintino (sp) a fellow who follows junior hockey closely talk about Beaulieu saying he thought he was a top ten pick and was surprised Beaulieu fell to 17 and Montreal has a good player for the future – just one person’s opinion…..

• Un Canadien errant says:

That was the consensus last June, that Beaulieu had fallen to Montreal and it was a good thing they snapped him up. A lot of teams had a shot at him, but had decided on someone else already and stuck with their guy, best example of which was Winnipeg picking Mark Scheifele.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• commandant says:

The Schiefele and Zibanejad picks shocked everyone and changed the draft.

The Bruins were expected to take Beaulieu at #9 overall, but it was also expected that both Dougie Hamilton and Ryan Murphy would be off the board.

When those forwards went earlier than expected, it created the ideal situation for Boston (unfortunately) and for Montreal (fortunately) as both teams got a better player than they really expected prior to the draft.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s a pretty good game, St. John has hit two posts in OT so far, on one of them they all raised their sticks, thought they’d scored.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

17. frontenac1 says:

Atta boy Smitty! The Pride Of Verona.

18. habsfan0 says:

I’d say an ex-Hab…SK or Frankie B…or even HG..ties game up and we head to OT.

Wow Mike Smith matching Rinne for big saves.

20. Mattyleg says:

Evenin’ fellow Friday-night-stay-at-homers!
    So, I didn’t see the headlines… AK and Radulov still scratched?
    Been watching the game for a while, and haven’t heard their names…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

21. frontenac1 says:

Agreed Hobie! That Boston Beatdown was the low point of my Habs life! ,There was nobody to respond .It made me sick top my stomach!IMan I grew up with Fergy,Bouchard,Robinson and Nilan .PG and JM did NOTHING to respond to this.Just sickening!I am optimistic and hopeful however,that the new GM gets it!

So David Poile gives up a 1st and a 2nd round pick for Gaustad and AK. AK not playing 2 games in a row and Gaustad is barely leaving the bench as 4th line center. Is he really the above average GM many claim him to be?

• Habfan10912 says:

Guess as someone suggested no GM bats a thousand. The secret is to get more right then wrong and don’t miss big like, nevermind. Not going there tonight.

———————————–

haha, i have read through the thread and watched you struggle with that all day. You have had a trying day my friend.

• habsfan0 says:

What would you say Bob Gainey’s batting average was?

• Habfan10912 says:

Bob’s was probably above 500 but he made two big mistakes. One I can’t speak to tonight but a player that rhymes with nomez was involved. The other was
          his selection of PG as his successors.
          ———————————–

• habsfan0 says:

I disagree. I’d say BG’s BA was several points south of the Mendoza line.

• HabFab says:

Poile was going for broke, this was his best chance which he probably loses with Suter going UFA this July.

I understand that and agree, but perhaps he should have targeted some better impact players is all. I guess he thought he had that coming in Radulov.

• showey47 says:

Also thought that franson-lomabardi to toronto for lebda-slaney was a stinker for poile also.

23. HabFanSince72 says:

Preds could use their top 2 scorers. How unfortunate.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

24. L Elle says:

Maybe Pierre McGuire might make a good GM some day, but, he still reminds me of Elmer Fudd. ;)

I am hopeful this will be my last “rant” about Pierre McGuire as possible GM of the Habs.

He didn’t pass the mustard test provided by Geoff Molson and Serge Savard to be the GM of this team. Whether he finished 2nd or 5th is irrelevant because he wasn’t chosen.

What bothers me the most about Pierre McGuire is that he did have the job as GM in the NHL, and he failed miserably. I have never once heard him speak about his time in Hartford and how he learnt from that experience. All I have heard him talk about is his experience as an Assistant Coach in Pittsburgh when they won two cups. Funny thing, when you check hockeydb.com you don’t find his name listed anywhere as an Assistant Coach, but rather when you dig deeper you see that he was a scout. Why is that? I don’t know the answer, but hockeydb is practically a bible when it comes to listing hockey players and mgmt’s specific roles within various leagues.

I don’t doubt for a minute that Pierre knows alot about hockey, but you know what, I also don’t doubt for a minute that there are quite a few media members who know alot about hockey. In fact, I think there are a Sh*tload of posters here who know a great deal about hockey, I am daily reminded of this when I read many insightful posts.

But knowing hockey and knowing how to run a team and be a leader are two completely different things. Had Pierre spent the past 18 years or perhaps some of those years as an Asst. GM I would then see a true eagerness to get another chance at being a GM. I don’t fault him for not doing it, because he has a great job, a job I wish I had. Wouldn’t it be great to get paid 6figures to talk hockey, holy cow that would be awesome, in fact he may be closer to 7 figures than 6 for what he does. But talking hockey does not make a person a GM.

Marc Bergevin played the game at the NHL and AHL level for a great deal of time. He was never a highly skilled player but a guy who worked hard enough to stick around for a long time. Listening to his past coaches including Scott Bowman they talk about his qualities in the room, his attitude, his humour his leadership.

Then after his playing career ends, he starts from the bottom of the NHL Mgmt food chain and for 7 successive years he works his way up. This strikes me a normal process for a guy on the way up and a guy who may become a great GM.

I don’t see this same progression in Pierre, but rather I see a guy who had his chance, failed, kicked some scouting roles and decided instead to go the media route. No harm no foul, but that doesn’t strike me as a guy dedicated and committed to becoming a great GM, strikes me rather as a guy who chose a career path that was good for him and his family and kept him in hockey.

The great players dedicate everything they have to become great players, perhaps great GM’s do the same thing and give everything they have to become great GM’s. I see Bergevin making far more effort to do this than Pierre, apparantly Geoff Molson and Serge Savard saw the same.

• habsfan0 says:

Excellent post, Gerald.

To sum up, Pierre McGuire wasn’t chosen because..he wasn’t “the chosen one.”

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree with your analysis Burly, and I’m happy with the choice, would have been happy with any of the myriad of other candidates, except for Pierre McGuire, for pretty much all the reasons you listed. I’ve posted as much before on my blog and on here.

Having said that, I did say I would trust the selection committee to hire the best candidate for the job, that they would know what the organization needs, would have access to a lot of info from different sources, and would get to know the candidates in person during the interview process. If so, then I must recognize that Pierre McGuire must have done very well, and must have a lot of fine qualities to last this long into the process and end up as the runner-up just ahead of Julien BriseBois.

I compared Mr. McGuire to Jacques Demers, in that maybe they don’t have that imposing bearing that is pretty impressive when you first meet someone or when he walks into a room, maybe they’re easier to brush aside at first, but when you give them a chance they grow on you and bring something to the table.

So I have to congratulate Mr. McGuire, he got farther in the process than I ever expected, and might be an under-rated leader, but overall I’m glad we ended up with Marc Bergevin.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• habsfan0 says:

No matter who was ultimately selected, the only thing that TRULY matters are the results on the ice.

Time will tell.

• HabFab says:

We don’t know what Molson told Brisebois. Perhaps it was that they picked Bergevin and he was second.
        Part of the “McGuire effect”, reality becomes distorted ie “Pierre scouts and knows every player in NA”

• Un Canadien errant says:

This is all becoming a blur, but if I remember the sequence of events correctly, Mr. McGuire received a call at 0730 hr, right before the press release went out, so he was at least Top 3. I think Mr. McGuire said he was told it came down to him vs. Marc Bergevin, although I don’t know if that has been confirmed.

When I interview candidates, I tell the person hired, then ask them to keep that confidential while we contact those on the short list and let them know our decision. We never, never tell someone that they came in second, third, etc. It serves no purpose and opens up room for comparison and revision. We just say ‘we hired Ms. X’, and then if pressed for more info we set up a post-interview where we go over the candidate’s strengths and how they can improve for a future opportunity. We never say “you came in third, because Ms. X had more experience and we felt Mr. Y has more skills than you”, that just not productive.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

You aren’t leaving room for a conspiracy theory which some of us give some credibility to.

• HabFab says:

Exactly but because we hear PM and his peers but never from the other parties who have to be discreet to succeed in business, any business but “show business”. We are presented with a distorted view. I don’t know the who or what, but I do know business and people.

• boing007 says:

Doubtful that anyone knows all the players in NA. Impossible, even.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Psycho29 says:

Awesome post! Couldn’t agree more!!!

• habstrinifan says:

Now this is indeed a “well thought out post”. A very well thought out post. I dont think you will find one poster who will not grant that you have made an impressively detailed examination of Pierre’s credentials and shortcomings.

So if I may, may I piggy-back on your determination to rant no more. You have said it all. Excellent post. I am in Vancouver as I write this and others with me compliment you.

• HardHabits says:

Excellent comment!!

• Lizardking89 says:

Great post man. If Mcguire was serious about being a GM he would be an assistant someplace.

26. HabFab says:

Okay, who is the clown that just voted no!
    Wasn’t there five minutes ago…
    Was it you? Or you? Come on, confession is good for the soul!

27. pmaraw says:

please please please dont be toronto’s version of JFJ

28. Hobie Hansen says:

With a couple changes Montreal is just as good as a NJ or WSH.

Pretty hard to get a read on just how good NJ is. You take a look at their defense and no names really jump out at you and their offense isn’t any better than Montreal’s. Price and Brodeur are pretty much equal now that Brodeur’s career is coming to an end as well.

The same goes for Washington. Semin and Green have totally dropped off from a couple years ago and Ovechkin is not in shape like he once was. And it seems they’ve all lost some desire. Hunter, some good role players and a hot goalie are holding that team together.

What I’m saying is Montreal has two or three valuable pieces to the puzzle right now, four or five other good players, some good prospects and a high draft pick.

With a few adjustments over the summer and a new coach and attitude; Montreal could do just as well as Washington and NJ are doing because I think overall they’re as good or better than both teams.

With solid mgmt and coaching we may finally be on the road back up Hobie. Bergevin has hands full with some specific contracts to be signed and unloaded, but I think he will take a realistic and simple approach, which is what is needed.

I look forward to the next few years as more young talent begins to arrive.

I especially think Bergevin makes sure our team will be a “tough” team to play against.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Well if you look around the playoffs some of the “tough” guys or grinders in some cases have had a big impact.

I like when Bergevin said on HNIC that you are not going to win games with a team of finesse players!

Such a breath of fresh air.

agree Hobie, I couldn’t stand how JM never wanted team to stand up for itself and PG seemed to bow to that.

• Hobie Hansen says:

It sure started a lot of arguments around here lol.

As you know, it made me upset and even embarrassed me to be a Habs fan when Boston smacked us around and our players were bloodied and laying on the ice.

Travis Moen was the only guy on the team that could throw a punch. That was a joke.

• Clay says:

Ok…not wanting to start anything here…but did you really just say that “Price and Brodeur are pretty much equal now”? I’m sure I must have misread that.
      Another example of Habs fans having rose coloured glasses.

__________________________
      ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• HabFab says:

Yeah, he said Brodeur at 40 = Price at 25. What is your problem? Too much? Not enough? Are you the smarta$$ voting behind my back?

Do you want to be starting something?????????

• Clay says:

Yeah, I read what he said Frank… I just don’t agree. Way too early to be comparing them. Price may be a great goalie, yes. Serious potential, yes. And I’m happy to have him on the team certainly. But equal to Brodeur? Some measure of playoff success must be factored into that equation. If we were in a 7 game series for the cup right now (now, mind you, not in the past or future), who would you rather have in goal?
          I don’t say this to disparage Price, as some might think. I wouldn’t even trade Price for Brodeur straight up; Marty will retire soon, and Price should only get better and better – we have a great asset with Price. But they are NOT equal as of yet in any way, shape, or form.

*EDIT*
          And for the record, I voted ‘Yes”. MB was my man from the start, given my limited info on the candidates.
          PM was my last choice.

__________________________
          ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• HabFab says:

Was just having fun buddy ;) and if Price at 25 doesn’t = Brodeur at 40 then he is not as good as some of us think.

• LizardKing12 says:

I disagree at this point in their careers Carey Price is a superior goalie to Brodeur. Marty is old and not nearly as good as he used to be. Obviously their careers cannot be compared but their current level of play can be and Price is currently the better goalie. Price had a .916 sv% on a last place team and Marty had a .907 sv% on a 6th place team.

• Mark C says:

Player A:
            2010-11: .923 SV%
            2011-12: .916 SV%

Player B:
            2010-11: .903 SV%
            2011-12: .908 SV%

Carey Price ain’t player B. Price is unlikely to match Brodeur’s career, but he is a much better goalie than Brodeur is here an now.

• Clay says:

Lol at all the responses that failed to answer the question, so I will ask again. Please be honest;
            “If we were in a 7 game series for the cup right now (now, mind you, not in the past or future), who would you rather have in goal?”

__________________________
            ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

@Clay, I’ll take Price thanks.

• Mark C says:

I’d take Price, he’s the better goalie.

• Clay says:

@ Gerald:
            Me too, for the future. But for one series for all the marbles, right now, I choose Brodeur.

__________________________
            ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• HabFanSince72 says:

Agreed. Habs had lots of injuries and, after firing Martin, incompetent coaching.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

29. otter649 says:

Do they play Nashville Cats by Lovinspoonful in The Nashville arena ?

Just to confirm, Bergevin is our new GM not McGuire right?

Go Jets Go! oh sorry meant to say, Go Yotes Go.

Gaustad for his size really is not a good scrapper.

32. otter649 says:

So Gaustead has grown a set since The Miller/Lucic Incident……

33. commandant says:

Good work by Chipchura.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

34. Bozo McBozo says:

I need a meaningful-hockey fix bad! I think that I might just take out the trash tomorrow morning, tell the wife I’ll be back and catch Amtrak to D.C. Seats are gonna be tons cheaper there than in NYC. I have had enough of this married/parenting crap. I’m goin’ freakin’ “honey badger!”

35. boing007 says:

Whitney’s pretty fast for a forty year old.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

36. nickster13 says:

For the GM, we hired a first language french, second language english. For the Coach, id like to hire first language english, second language french. This is logical based on the vast majority of conversations will be with players and assistant coaches themselves, who are all english speakers. Everyone knows its easier to form bonds when there is zero language gap. And for the coach and his players its no different.
    So the only logical choice(linguistically) would be Marc Crawford, not to mention his experience.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Lizardking89 says:

I’d love to see it and I agree we should hire an English speaking coach. There’s one problem however, the French media. Their collective pea brains would explode. Remember how the fascists…err separatists came out en masse to protest Cunnyworth being coach and used that as a rallying cry for their political ends?

It’s a sad fact but the hiring policies of this team are dictated by these people when they should focus on hiring the right man for the job.

• Clay says:

All 6 of them? They are irrelevant now. Winning is more important – I hope Molson sees it this way as well.

__________________________
        ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• otter649 says:

When Mike Keene was captain of The Habs he was asked why don’t you learn French he said don’t need to as English is the language of the dressing room (or words to that effect) – So The French Media blew up and when Houle got the opp to get him out of town he did…….

• Lizardking89 says:

Houle should be case in point and an example of hiring a French speaking executive just because he speaks French and was a former player. It should be held up as an example of what this organization should never do again.

It’s pretty sad what they did to Keane he was a great leader. The same thing happened to Saku and the media here starts shit when it comes to the language issue. He was asked several times why he didn’t speak French, if he would learn French and because he didn’t he was unceremoniously dumped.

Managing a hockey team based on the language issue is a recipe for failure. No wonder this team hasn’t won a cup in almost 20 years.

37. Habfan10912 says:

I am an old fashioned kind of person thus I find myself rooting for the Preds tonight. I think Trots is sending the right message, a Tom Coughlin type move. No one is above the team. Go Preds!

———————————–

38. pmaraw says:

whats with the yotes skating around before the end of the anthem lol

39. Un Canadien errant says:

Nathan Beaulieu just named Captain of the St-John Sea Dogs. Am I the last one arriving to the party on this one, did everyone know about this?

So that makes Nathan, Jared Tinordi, Brendan Gallagher, Michaël Bournival, Morgan Ellis on the Screaming Eagles before he was traded… Who else? Lots of Canadiens prospects acting as leaders on their team. And I understand that as drafted players they’re supposed to be leaders, but the fact that this is being recognized, and it is happening, is good to see, instead of our guys being floaters and prospects who aren’t developing.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

40. boing007 says:

Three minutes in and the Sea Dogs already have two goals.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

41. Sean Bonjovi says:

Rimouski have a guy named Scott Oke (#71). Good size, good wheels, great checker. He wasn’t drafted last season ( he was ranked 90ish for N/A skaters i think) and might not be drafted this season, in which case I believe he would be available to any team that wanted sign him as an Amateur free agent. I’m not saying he’s guaranteed to be a great pro, or even turn pro, but he’s a boarder line guy from somewhere in or around Montreal who plays a solid game, and you can watch him play against some pretty good offensive players on sportsnet right now.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
    - Sean Bonjovi

42. commandant says:

That Presser was gold. Does anyone have a link to the presser after the McLaren/Zednick hit where he went nuts too? That was also really good.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

43. twilighthours says:

What’s all,this talk of therrien? It might be worth hiring him back just for the possibility of this:

The best presser rant of all time.

44. The Cat says:

My prediction for habs new coach is Bob Hartley.

45. GrimJim says:

So 2009 Koivu vs Kovalev
    2010 Price vs Halak
    2012 McGuire vs the world
    I forget, what was last year’s controversy d’ete?

46. Dr.Rex says:

Marc Bergevin said communication skills will be a important part in his decision to hire a coach……Geoff Molson seconds this thought. This alone is enough to think Michel THerrien is NOT a legitimate candidate.

COmmunication skills does not mean good pronunciation and a loud voice. IT means having exceptional people skills and being able to know how to approach different people and different situations. You can whisper in a nightclub and have more effect on others then you can screaming in a library.

Michell Therrien failed in Pittsburgh mainly because of this. The core players asked for his removal after going to the Stanley Cup finals. When was the last itme anyone got fired after coming this close. THerrien will not be the next coach I promise…….No beef aginst him he is just not the right coach for this team and is not the guy Bergevin will see as his man. RDS will even start pushing Michel Bergeron on us soon. YUCK

47. Dryden_29 says:

From ‘Montreal Hockey Talk’

Habs head coach search updates:

La Presse reported that Marc Crawford will meet with Canadiens for the head coach position.

Vancouver newspaper The Province is reporting that Canucks’ head coach Alain Vigneault hasn’t been seen around the team since being eliminated by the Kings. Many believe that Vigneault is interested in change.

The French media have jumped on the Michel Therrien bandwagon and believe it’s a done deal.

Now for Patrick Roy, his list of demands he presented to the Habs organization are extremely lengthy and could have killed his chances for the job.

informative post thanks

• ed lopaz says:

Stormin, how about Culkin being invited to the NHL combine?

What a meteoric rise!

Very happy for the young man!

• HabFab says:

Was curious about him and Ryan? Had not heard of those two, what is the scoop?

EDIT: meant Kevin Roy

• ed lopaz says:

I don’t know Kevin Roy.

Culkin is a great skater – really smooth –

He was selected in the 7th round!! by Quebec 122nd overall – virtually no one gets drafted to the NHL in Quebec unless they are 1st or 2nd round.

Cut twice by the Midget AAA Lions, although the 2nd time he was called back in mid season.

It seems that Patrick Roy has really taken to him and he plays in all situations.

I think he will be drafted in the 4th round – or thereabout

Great post ED

Ryan Culkin should be an inspiration for kids, to never give up on there development, incredible story, what he has done and to never stop working Hockey can be filled with ups and downs and even clicks to overcome. I wrote a nice piece on him a few weeks back, great kid.

You never know he may end up A Canadiens draft pick with a third or fourth round round selection. Especially if the Canadiens fail to land Mike Matheson with the #33 pick.

Ps That Lac St Louis team that Ryan first got cut from was stacked,,, Besides Ryan and Matheson, next years draft 2013 has 2 more potential first round picks from Lac St Louis Lions, Jonathan Drouin and Anthony Dulair.

• commandant says:

The Therrien/RDS thing feels exactly like the TSN 990/McGuire thing.

The AC guys are championing one of their own so that they can become “insiders” and have “connections” with the organization.

They tried the same with Damphousse before he pulled out.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Dr.Rex says:

Lack of jounalistic ethics. Bergeron is starting to rub off on others.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I would agree with that commandant.

However, McGuire didn’t really need any propping up where as Damphousee and Therrien most definitely do. In my opinion.

I don’t think Damphousse has any managerial experience so he had zero chance at the GM position.

I’d have a hard time believing the Canadiens would go back to a coach they already fired in Therrien.

Therrien also carried on like a drama queen in Pittsburgh and I think that damaged his future coaching opportunities.

• commandant says:

McGuire may not have needed the propping up… but the way Melnick covered it was completely biased and showed a ton of favoritism to a guy who just so happens to talk to him every day.

Without getting into the merits of McGuire, i think we can all agree that the coverage was straight out of the Fox News “fair and balanced” manual.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I think Michel Therrien can still coach in the NHL, but I don’t see him as the kind of guy who could coach the same team for any more than a couple of years before he wore out his welcome. I’d like to see them hire a guy who might still be around 10 years from now.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      - Sean Bonjovi

• boing007 says:

The French Media love to concoct stories, then run them into the ground.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

Well it seems like one day of near unanimity was too much to ask for and the lines are being drawn in the sand again. Looks like there is going to be a few more pro-McGuire and anti-Francophone axes to grind into dust before it all settles.

Let the games begin.

49. Old Bald Bird says:

All sorts of weird questions get asked in interviews, so candidates being asked about Roy doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

• New says:

I think you ask hypothetical questions in interviews to see how a person would handle that type of situation. In a hypothetical you can give 25 words or less made up descriptions or you can fall back on a situation that has played out and that everyone has a knowledge of.

Context is everything. The people being asked “What type of questions were asked?” should have just answered “Astrological.” as that is the basis for much media and fan speculation.

50. VintageFan says:

PASCAL VINCENT – talent and no Baggage

51. HabFab says:

Here are the top prospects from around the world invited to the NHL Combine at the end of May.

Six Quebec born players.

52. habstrinifan says:

Molson, Savard, et al brought a marvelous breath of fresh air into HABSWORLD by hiring Bergevin. You know whom I had as my favourite candidate. But every interview I heard given by Bergevin simply won me over with his naturalness, his honesty, his directness.

He acknowledged the issues that all analysts and fans know are of concern in HABSWORLD by not evading any question and answering with disarming candour and ease. For instance he said “We have to take care of P.K and Price”.. I paraphrase but you get my point. He didnt give us mealy mouth answers about those things are never discussed in public. He knew fans wanted to know if management perceived these two as importantly as most fans did. And it was beautiful. I have rarely fely more superior as a fan of the Canadiens as I have in the last 72 hours or so. Our GM is not loud or hyperbolic or deceitful. You feel that this man could go to the farthest corners of the world and have a beer with a habs fan and leave that fan with full confidence in ‘tomorrow’.

So I read some of the posts in this thread and become dismayed at the pettiness and ugliness displayed by some at McGuire… all the while disingenuously fabricating or twisting events. As poster Stormin remarked, it’s as though they never paid attention to any of the 100 or so interviews over the last 72 hours.

Classless.

Maybe some fans had the GM manager ‘they deserved.
    One who operated in a sullen secret dark mode and never allowed the brightness of fully informed discussion to penetrate.

I mean how can anyone have followed the interviews candidly given by Molson, Savard, and Bergevin on Patrick Roy (interviews they candidly answered for the benefit of the fans who all have questions re Patrick Roy).. and still post the CRAP I see in this thread.

Remarkable! I can’t hold my tongue anymore. Some of you are fools. I dont care if I am banned or ostracized.

Edit:One of the biggest reasons for my excitement and hope for our franchise next season is the vibes I am getting from Bergevin. You know it’s not like he’s wasting any energy to be secretive or beat around the bush or mislead or evade. I feel like he answers the question. Then shuts his office door and goes to work. If the report re Crawford being called is true it is an example of that. Qestion re coaching asked and answer..now he’s moved on to do hs job and find the best man. I LOVE YOU Mr. Bergevin.. can’t say it any other way… cause I live and die HABS and you have me feeling I’m gonna be living more than dying in the months to come.

• hansolo says:

Hey Trini…are you from the islands? I respect your passion. I thought all you dudes were chill. For me, I just say, “No problem, maan!”

• habstrinifan says:

Actually my friends do describe my as rather laid back. But geez it just got to me… in a way I apologize because my responses have been made with a broad brush… but as I said, I just couldnt hold my tongue anymore. I’ll blame it on intemperance from all the darn cold medicine I am taking. LOL!

• HardHabits says:

Look. I don’t like Pierre McGuire, even as a colour commentator. He’s creepy. He’s an arrogant unapologetic know it all. He presents his opinions as if they were facts. He has probably never even laced up a pair of skates in his life. The idea of him being Habs GM would be enough to make me feel ill for weeks. I can’t even believe he was considered let alone was the supposed runner up. Is it hatred? Hardly!! Is it loathing? Most definitely.

Let him actually work his way up the ranks. That is why from the onset I had placed my bets on Bergevin. He played the game for 20 years and has held numerous positions relevant to his being considered for GM. What’s more is Bergevin is likeable and personable with a tinge of humility. All qualities that McGuire lacks.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Unfortunately HH you saying that a person is creepy or you don’t like him means absolutely nothing. Just like 95% of what posters say on this site.

• habstrinifan says:

I dont know why you started your post with LOOK! It did get my attention. It certainly is attention getting.

I take no issue with your post. It’s ok to hate the ‘public’ McGuire… his persona etc. He puts himself out there and should expect it. And it is fine with me that you dont see him as fit to be a GM, especially ours. I didnt start out a supporter for McGuire…I became one but am now fully convinced the right man, (slowly being convinced the better man) was hired. So I am ok with everything you wrote and this is exactly why we have this forum.. for everyone to voice their views.

I even posted in support of a fellow poster who challenged Bowmans to hire McGuire to replace Bergevin… and would see it as telling if they dont even call him in for interview.
            Even Melnick an ardent supporter of McGuire is enthused about Bergevin and also is suggesting that McGuire do get back into the GM admin if he is serious about becoming a GM. So there are many areas to intelligently swing this topic back and forth.

But if you put yourself in with some of the outlandish hateful nonsense that have been spewed then you did not need to shout Look to get my attention… you had it and had my response.

• HardHabits says:

Duly noted habstrinifan. I guess with all the tension in the streets in Montreal given that the local chapter of the Maxist-Leninist Student Association has decided to turn not enough drinking money into cause for all out revolution I am a bit testy these days.

Well. A little more than usual.

• HabFab says:

Yoso’s (young socialists) as opposed to yuppies.

• Aybara says:

Or ya know, he played pro in Europe. Lets not do research and just spout useless dreck based on our own assumptions.

• boing007 says:

He misplaced his ganja. When he finds it he’ll be back to his normal laid back self.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• 44har48 says:

It’s a mesage board man…none of us matter. Don’t get all worked up, just be happy we hired what appears to be a good one :)

• habstrinifan says:

Some of Bergevins gems already.

He straightforward answered re Subban and Price.

He didnt hedge about Price being ‘his franchise’ goalie.

He straightforward answered ” I will listen to offers for my pick”.

He straightforward answered “Timmins is my man”.

He straightforward answered ” I let RC know he wont be our head coach but if the ‘new coach’ wants him as an assistant then he has a job.

He straightforward said “We are going to go all out to make sure the next Quebec ‘star’ plays for us.. I paraphase but if you read his remarks you would agree that was the sentiment.

You may not ‘agree’ with his stance on everyone of those.

Some here question Price or Subban value…. and that’s hockey and fandom and that is great coming here to read and join in. That’s why this forum I believed was created

You may have differing opinions on any of the issues Marc Bergevin responded with such clarity to. And that’s what I come here to read. Give and take about stuff like that.

But I bet you all, least those of you who did follow some of the 100 or so interviews, know where our new GM stands. That is beautiful.

• New says:

Trini – You’re never going to get away from the insults and pettiness. I often find it discouraging. Can you imagine what it is like for the players and staff? Sometimes it helps to skim over some comments. Sometimes it helps to not imagine what the writer meant. Regardless it is sort of like being in a crowded bar. Some of the people are there to have a good time, some are there to cause trouble, and some are just excited. It is what it is.

53. Stormin says:

Try to have some intelligent debate but lately impossible here.

I really dont understand the childish hate of McGuire, it is ridiculous ,

If you ask a question on this sight about bell center hot dogs people answer they are good as long as Pierre McGuire doesnt make them.

I joined this sight for the fact to talk Hockey among other chat topics with Hab fans, but this is getting very tiresome, i really have no patience for these attacks on persons for no apparent reason, it is really really tiresome and i have an amazing sense of humor but this goes overboard the hatred spewed for this man on this site. , so unintelligent.

54. The Jackal says:

So how are people feeling about Roy being coach? I don’t know much about him other than the legend, and that he is a hothead. From that, I don’t know if that is the best thing for the team, someone who is passionate but collected would be great. I hope Roy, if chosen as coach, brings us glory and maintains a professional demeanour, meaning that he does not flip out. I think the line is drawn at how Torts behaves, anything more than Torts is a bit over the top. Actually now that I think about it, if Roy is like Torts, that would be a good hire.

Thoughts?

• chilli says:

I am all about Roy. If he is the french Joey-Torts, that is fine by me. We need the fire back. We need Pat Burns, someone who can light a fire. Roy is so darn competitive and he’s won at every level. The only real difference between the Jordan’s, Kobe’s, Tiger’s, Roy’s, Crosby’s is their compete level. Plenty of folks with raw talent but that desire to win is on another level.
      Roy is at that level. Plus his post game interviews would be priceless when answering dumb questions. Also a scrap with Torts for sure.

Tre

• 44har48 says:

I think that “fire and passion” is required at lower levels, but pros should not need that to be at their best. Just my philosophy. I think both views have worked well in the right siutations.

• 44har48 says:

Really opposed to it for two things…I’m looking for credibility and composure behind our bench next season to match the classy people we are bringing in to run the team. I’ll admit some folks brag of the accomplishments Roy has achieved as a young coach/GM/co-owner, whatever he is, I still see his putrid display that night on 12/2/1995, that makes me cringe just thinking about it. I know the baffoons running our team then were half the problem, but it took two to tangle in that “episode”. Nope, for me, I watched his number begrudgingly go to the rafters and that was enough for me.

I would like Bob Hartley or Marc Crawford and I would bet big money it is Crawford at the end of the day.

55. Sean Bonjovi says:

Geoff Molson and Serge Savard have confirmed that a presumably bitter Pierre McGuire has leaked confidential information about the process the Montreal Canadiens used to select their new General Manager. Ask Stormin for the links.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
    - Sean Bonjovi

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bunch of crap….

• Stormin says:

I tried to start a simple discussion about our next coach, and still people’s strange hatred for Pierre McGuire seeps in, i really do not understand this at all. Back to watching hockey .

Guys it was called good journalism that is all, I am surprised no one has followed up on the fact it was asked not how it came out.

Back to watching Hockey later guys.

• hansolo says:

Pierre McGuire spoke on Melnick’s show a couple of days ago. He was very complimentary of the process. He didn’t reveal any more details about the process than Marc Bergevin did…because there really wasn’t anything to hide. He didn’t sound bitter at all and kept on saying it was Bergevin’s day, not his, and that he wished Bergevin all the best. He also — and this surprised me — said he LOVED the Habs and that they were the only team he would consider giving up his broadcasting gig for.

Might be more productive to stick with Price vs. Halak or lamenting McDonagh for Gomez…

EDIT: As regards the question of Patrick Roy, Pierre McGuire said he was asked the question “How would you deal with the Patrick Roy situation?” (Presumably about the fan and media speculation about Patrick. It’s an obvious question to ask — no great scoop there). McGuire said nothing more. It’s quite a leap for anyone to then say that must mean Patrick Roy is the front-runner for the coaching position. Both McGuire and Bergevin said they were asked MANY hypothetical questions during their HOURS of being interviewed. Anyone who listened to what both said could only conclude the question about Roy was also hypothetical. I’m sure they were asked about Gomez, too, but that doesn’t mean Gomez will necessarily be bought out, traded or demoted to the Bulldogs.

If you want to listen to the podcast, try this link:

It’s the link to “Melnick in the afternoon” on Team 990′s website.

• GrimJim says:

It’s interesting that you say that on Marinaro’s show McGuire said that the Habs were the only team he would consider giving up his broadcasting gig for (NOTE: I didn’t listen to that interview because I was at work at the time) but I did listen to the interview he gave the Ottawa radio station (Boone’s May 3 game blog, click on the Michael Farber link then scroll down about 3/4 of the way through the story for the link) and I’m about 95% sure that I heard McGuire tell those interviewers that he was still interested in a GM post somewhere in the NHL but that he was extremely happy with working for NBC as well.

• hansolo says:

I don’t doubt what you’re saying — and I was wrong, it was Melnick, not Marinaro (edited). If you get the chance, listen to McGuire on Melnick. I don’t believe he said “Monster” even once…

• GrimJim says:

To give the guy the benefit of the doubt, in the time between the two interviews he may have thought about his situation and decided that his initial comment (whichever it was) was hasty and he refined his position. That’s only natural. But I have heard him tell two different audiences versions of the same situation that differed in tone and intent, on the same day.

• commandant says:

Are you serious?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

56. Marcusman says:

My money is on Bob Hartley as the next coach….almost a home town guy…blue collar work ethics…Stanley cup champ and speaks French.

57. HabsFanMTL says:

i agree with Tony Marinaro that Michel Therrien should be the next head coach. I think he earned a 2nd shot at the habs coaching position

58. Stormin says:

Here is a re post of my original post which started the storm. I thought it was common knowledge, Now Do we really believe that Patrick Roy is not the heads up front runner.

Considering one of the questions McGuire and Bergevin were asked in their GM interviews was how would you deal with Patrick Roy if he were coach,

One can only logically decipher that the next floor up in management has planted a seed for the new GM as to who they think should be the front runner for the coaching post.

I am not big on re hashing old coaches. I think as Marc Bergevin said in his presser Je Suis Je Suis I am ready, also applies to Patrick Roy.

That said i am sure the process will still have to take its route as the GM process did. Marc Crawford, Gerald Gallant, Bob Hartley etc…. will all get some consideration, but i believe the job is Patrick Roy’s unless he fails miserably in the interview process.

If we could get permission to talk to Toe Blake he would be my first choice.

If Joel Quennevile or Mike Babcock could get fired and learn french overnight They would be my 1A and 1B choice

• HabsFanMTL says:

as i said earlier, RDS has reported that marc crawford has been called for a meeting today

• Stormin says:

I do believe the process will still takes it course with multiple coaches brought in for interviews, but unless Patrick Roy fails miserably in the interview process, I would have to believe it his job to lose.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“Considering one of the questions McGuire and Bergevin were asked in their GM interviews was how would you deal with Patrick Roy if he were coach.”

How do you know this question was asked in the interview?

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      - Sean Bonjovi

• Stormin says:

Read earlier post Sean, I am surprised that this has not come out more , even the media has let it slide, this question was asked and has been confirmed by all involved. May still be up on TSN podcasts if you want to listen to all interviews , no rumor this question was asked.

• Malreg says:

McGuire said it on his daily radio spot on the Team 990. He said one of the questions was “How would you deal with the Patrick Roy situation”.

Which could mean they want him as the next coach, or they have already decided they do not want him, and are wondering how they would deal with the firestorm that will come if they do not choose Roy.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

double

• shiram says:

It’s Bergevin’s choice for Head coach, so it most likely is only an hypothetical question.

59. Marcusman says:

Ok arm chair GM’s would you give up Josh Georges for Edmonton’s 1st pick straight up? We’d pick 1st and 3rd….they get a fantastic defenceman with a locked up contract.

60. HabsFanMTL says:

its being reported that marc crawford has been contacted for an interview as coach they are going to meet

61. H.Upmann says:

The fact that Pierre revealed something about the interview process and the questions asked is enough for me to know he’s not fit to be GM.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Absolutely. I mean if he just given vague indications about the questions that would be one thing, but to mention Roy by name is lacking in ethics.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Stormin says:

He was asked a direct question and he answered the question as did Bergevin, Molson and Savard.

• PrimeTime says:

Discretion is a very important part in the role of a GM or any other Executive. Bergevin, Molson, Savard are fine to admit it as to not add fuel to Melnick’s agenda. Neither would have answered as directly as McGuire did which shows their class vs the latter. McGuire may have just had his last GM interview if this is all true as you say.

• Habsrule1 says:

Bergevin did the EXACT same thing, just so you know.

Go Habs Go!!

• Stormin says:

Did he sleep with your wife, Leave it alone already move on dudes.

I think it is great, we need more transparency not the old Gainey and Gauthier era of Kremlin wall hide all the info crap. This is the fans team they deserve to know what goes on in these processes and Molson could have denied the question was asked, but to his credit he did not, it is a new era with Molson and Bergevin.

I think that is quite an extreme analagy your are jumpin to stormin. I think it is indeed rather telling that he would reveal specifics of questions.

• jedimyrmidon says:

The fans don’t need to know everything – it’s not a public entity like the government is supposed to be. Certain things like the hiring process for a GM should be kept under wraps, and if McGuire unveiled the specifics that doesn’t strike me as professional at all. Do the Habs need to unveil their strategy for hiring the coach as well? I don’t think so either.

• Stormin says:

I think it was good journalism they caught all the characters involved off guard they were all asked the question in interviews within minutes/ or hours on the same day, and all talked about it openly with honesty but some ambiguity in there responses.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Okay, I didn’t know the specifics. However, I still think that the need for transparency doesn’t extend to the hiring of management and coaches and such. Last thing we need is a reality-TV scenario in that regard. As fans, we don’t deserve to know everything that happens so that we can dissect, comment and tear apart.

• mark_ID says:

What did he mention about the interview exactly??

Sry if I missed it posted already.

Q: Who put the gold in the Alaskan Bering Sea?

A: Scott Gomez

• Mad Habber says:

Wonder when did he reveal the question? If it was before the final decision then no wonder he finished second. Perhaps it was a test of secrecy instead of the actual answer given. Despite all the grumblings about Gauthier being a ghost, part of the GM job is keeping secrets. Players don’t need to know if they are being shopped, at least when they are playing well. Remember the supposed Lecavalier trade..

This all came out after Bergevin was hired ,

Did you guys listen to any of the 1000 interviews that day, they all admitted to the question, Bergevin Mcguire, Molson and Savard and i believe Savard was the first to discuss during an interview that this question was asked.

• Mad Habber says:

No, I admit I haven’t followed the gm search all that closely and I was busy the past couple of days. So pretty much all the information I know is form here and the little bit that TSN showed.

• otter649 says:

When PM said to one of the owners (after his interview) he was available to be consulted if they had any questions concerning the franchise proved he was & still is the smartest guy in hockey without a NHL front office position……lol

• Habfan10912 says:

Thought the same H. Might be real hard for PM to get another serious interview. I know if I was doing the interview I’d be unhappy.
      ———————————–

• habstrinifan says:

Some have tried to correct you on this issue by informing you that the same question was asked and answered by Savard, Bergervin, and third… McGuire. McGuire was asked by Melnick as follows ” Bergevin said that Roy’s name came up in the interview process and he gave his answer (at which point Melnick repeated Bergevin’s answer for McGuire). McGuire said yes he had a simliar question and he described his answer.

Those are the facts.But you wish to continue to ignore facts and nourish your hate.

well said Trini

I really dont understand this childish hate of this man, it is ridiculous ,

If you ask a question on this sight about bell center hot dogs people answer they are good as long asPierre McGuire doesnt make them.

I joined this sight for the fact to talk Hockey among other chat topics with Hab fans, but this is getting very tiresome, i really have no patience for these attacks on persons for no apparent reason, it is really really tiresome and i have an amazing sense of humor but this goes overboard the hated spewed for this man on this site. , so unintelligent.

62. mark_ID says:

What are people’s thoughts on Larry Carriere being kept on with the Habs? Considering he was the assistant GM to PG…….does this not worry some?

Q: Who put the gold in the Alaskan Bering Sea?

A: Scott Gomez

• habs03 says:

Many believe he has a Molson hire, I believe he worked with Molson the company a while back. And PG usually hires guys he worked with in the past, ex Martin, Cunneyworth, etc, and the fact that he was kept when the PG/Gainey regime was let go shows that he really wasn’t part of the group. Plus his experience will be important for a guy like Bergevin.

• The Dude says:

He might be OK but my concern is he was part of THE WORST MONTREAL CANADIENS TEAM since the 1940′s….. As far as I’m concerned fire and trade everyone and just keep a few core young athlete’s if the contracts are reasonable.If Subby and Carey ask for the moon …that’s where you send them!

• PrimeTime says:

Better yet, take Hard Habits idea from last year and fold team all together for a few years, apply for a new franchise, and get the entry draft picks! You people are so smart, I guess that is why the rest of bow to your intelligence.

• The Dude says:

Prime Time…. pretty much everything that’s going on with the Habs I’ve called it bang on and that’s due to my experience and intelligence,so thank-you for your bow”next time go down on both knee’s buddy!”

• PrimeTime says:

Buddy, i think you do a pretty good job pleasing yourself in every way! Tell it to someone who cares.

• HardHabits says:

Excuse me. I was the one who went Back to the Future and returned with Gray’s Sports Almanac.

• ZepFan2 says:

“that’s due to my experience and intelligence”

:lol:

———————————————————————-
            “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

63. Stormin says:

If we could get permission to talk to Toe Blake he would be my first choice.

• PrimeTime says:

And you know this question was asked how?? You may be right but I don’t recall hearing or reading about it?? Please enlighten us.

• Stormin says:

Pierre McGuire was first to let the cat out of the bag about the question being asked , Geoff Molson and Serge Savard have confirmed they did ask the question during the interview.

Common knowledge go to TSN listen to podcast of Geoff Molson, Marc Bergevin and Pierre McGuire , they all admitted that this was a question in the interview, Geoff Molson and Serge Savard have each confirmed that this was one of the questions in the interview.

• Max_a_million says:

Pierre McGuire said it was in his interview with Mitch Melnick. Geoff Molson, was a little surprised by it when he was questioned, but did not deny it all, and in a round about way admitted as much. Serge Savard also admitted it.

• PrimeTime says:

very well then….did not know that. Thank you!

All the more reason I’m glad McGuire was not hired…always has to let people know what he knows no matter the circumstance. What an ass!

• Stormin says:

I am actually quite surprised that the question and confirmation it was asked are not getting more scrutiny, that is one of the reason;s i bring it up. Even the media have been ignoring it , very strange.

• Habsrule1 says:

Bergevin admitted the same thing on Melnick’s show.
            It wasn’t a secret.

Go Habs Go!!

• Gerry H says:

Well, now you know why Pierre McGuire will never get a management job from any serious hockey organization. That he went straight to air with that shows how clueless he really is. I wasn’t a McGuire basher before this, but exposing something like that speaks volumes.

Next time, he probably won’t even get the interview.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Molson explained the entire situation in further detail so i don’t think anyone really cares…It’s a job interview process lol.

Plenty of other organizations will see McGuire just missed out on the most sought after GM position in the league by a hair and be calling him for sure.

• Habsrule1 says:

As I said, BERGEVIN ADMITTED THE EXACT SAME THING!
            IT WAS NOT A SECRET!

Go Habs Go!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Habsrule1: The McGuire haters who said he’d never get a look are just pissed off that out of 20 people he came a very close 2nd, proving he has a great hockey mind.

• Gerry H says:

Once the cat was out of the bag, Molson et al had no choice but to confirm. It’s a serious misstep and shows that McGuire is a media guy first and foremost and a hockey guy second. The NHL is an old boys club. The ability to keep your mouth shut on sensitive matters is a key prerequisite of any senior management position.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Actually it was the complete opposite. The Canadiens were more than happy that McGuire disclosed information about how much of an extensive search they did.

Plenty of interviews a head I’m sure if he’s even interested. He’s never applied for a GM position yet.

Stop making up little stories Gerry H ;-)

have a great weekend everyone I’m out of here!

64. habs03 says:

Hawk fan seem to really want Joel Quenneville out, lets hope he gets canned, and Bergevin hires him. That would be PERFECTTTT!

Reading a little from a Hawks forum, they have been saying that Bergevin was one of Quenneville key supporters, and if leaves, chances are he does come to MTL, which would be amazing IMO.

65. Gumper Knows Best says:

Staal, Crosby, and Dupuis are UFAs next year summer 2013. Malkin and Montreal born Letang in 2 summers.

There is no way they can keep them all, especially the Crosby-Malkin-Staal centers and stay under the cap with a full competitive team. One has to go.

Call Pitt and dangle that 3rd overall pick and whatever else and see what happens. Ya just never know what package could happen

• habs03 says:

Stall is the most likely out, I think he said he wants a bigger role or out, and he has 1 more year, before coming a free agent.

Malkin aint going anywhere, and sadly neither is Crosby or Letang.

• mrhabby says:

lots of rumours have stall going to carolina to be with eric. Given shero’s conservative nature and the uncertainty with the CBA , i would suspect he might wait until all of that gets settled before anything happens with stall or malkin for that matter.

66. The Dude says:

Crawford….you are all nutz arn’t you? He’s the fker who demanded Bertuzzi go out a give pay-back to Moore,I seen it with my eye’s you blind bats! You know for all your slamming Big Bert on the fing site, to give Crawford a pass is TOTAL BULLSPIT!
    Let us all pray this Habs coaching job goes to Roy and Robinson or Quenneville !

• Habsrule1 says:

So Crawford said “go break moore’s neck”…?
      He said “go get him” like hundreds of other coaches have said through the years. Bertuzzi just went overboard.

Go Habs Go!!

• PrimeTime says:

Robinson doesn’t want to be a HC or he already would be. If you are praying for Roy to be Coach then that is all I need to know I don’t want him. :) But I agree that Crawford should not be a top candidate.

67. Max_a_million says:

If we had had a real GM, instead of Houle (who I am distantly related to), he would have sat down Patrick and Mario and smoothed things out. It was the GM’s fault that’s his job, not players and coaches being passionate!

68. Max_a_million says:

These guys do not excite me, and tell me the era of settling for subpar is alive and well in Montreal has not changed. These choices might turn me against Marc Bergevin.
    -Marc ‘my teams never make the playoffs’ Crawford
    -Alain ‘one time my first place team made it and pooped themselves, otherwise we just poop early and get it over with, ooh and I have a job’ Vigneault
    -Guy ‘I look really relaxed on RDS’ Carboneau
    -Michel ‘I couldn’t win with the best players in the league’ Therien
    -Bob ‘can’t get a job in North America’ Hartley

Apart from Vigneault, all these guys are available and nobody wants them! Why should the Montreal fricken Canadiens be pulling coaches from the 2nd hand bin???

Am I missing someone???

Patrick Roy would not be pulling a coach out of the 2nd hand bin. The guy turns down head coaching gigs in the NHL.

The Canadiens need to be exceptional. There is only one exceptional choice on the board.

• Croz38 says:

You are a glass is half empty type of guy aren’t you?

…and btw, Crawford has won the Stanley Cup. I hope the Habs take a good long look at him.

• Max_a_million says:

Look at Crawford’s record . The last 5 years he has coached a team, they have NOT made the playoffs.

Oh no I am excited about a return to excellence, getting away from moribund losers. We deserve the best. It will be exciting, and you won’t have to agree now to enjoy it later.

Should I mention Patrick Roy was the playoff MVP who won that cup for Crawford? (and Hartley)

• habs03 says:

To be fair, Crawford, took over teams that were in a rebuilding/not expected to win stage, with the Kings, and Dallas, and his last year in Dallas, he lead them to a 95 point season in a tough conference, to finish 9th.

To be honest with you, ur right none of the coaches available are that great, heck even English only speaking coach, the list aint great.

I’m kinda hope for Joel Quenneville to get canned by the Hawks and we can go after him. I’m not sure how strong his French is though.

• Croz38 says:

I’ll agree the concept of Roy being a coach is intriguing. He has won on every level. My only concern for him is when the hard times come, as they surely will. He gave up on the team once. Sure the coach he had at the time was an idiot and should have pulled him that night, but you never, never give up on your team. The slight notion he may do that again scares me, and makes me worry about team stability.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Not that I’m endorsing Crawford and I think Roy would be interesting if nothing else but, in case it hasn’t occured to you, every year 29 coaches fail to win the cup and the team that does, does not necessarily do it because they have the best coach.

• Max_a_million says:

More than half the league makes the playoffs (although the point totals are really bad). So put Crawford in the bottom half anyhow. If your looking for successful bottom half people then maybe, sounds like someone Columbus should hire on the cheap, not the CH.

• Habfan10912 says:

Not a total endorsement by any means, but I kind of side with Max here. I agree with you that Crawford might be a bit different then the rest but the Moore incident raises a flag for me.

———————————–

• Habsrule1 says:

I’m iffy on Crawford, but hundreds of coaches have told players to “go get him” without thinking anyone would get their head pile-driven into the ice. By the way, I still find it weird that Moore didn’t put his hands up to protect himself. Did it just happen too fast?

Crawford should be interviewed and considered like everyone else.

Go Habs Go!!

• Max_a_million says:

I think Moore was trying to draw a big call there, and it got over his and Bertuzzi’s head quickly! That’s what it looked like to me.

• GrimJim says:

Or the sucker punch to the jaw knocked him out first…

• Habsrule1 says:

Perhaps…it just didn’t look like that bad of a punch, and with the glove still on.

Go Habs Go!!