Devils win in OT; Kings one victory from Western final

Martin Brodeur

New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur makes a stick save during his team’s overtime win Thursday.
Andy Marlin, NHLI via Getty Images

Alexei Ponikorovsky scored 17:21 into the first overtime period Thursday might to lift the New Jersey Devils to a 4-3 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers and a 2-1 lead in their Eastern Conference semifinal.

In Los Angeles, the Kings knocked off the St. Louis Blues 4-2 to seize a commanding 3-0 lead in their Western semi. The Kings, who bounced Presidents Cup champion in a five-game quarterfinal, can advance to the conference final with a win Sunday on home ice.

• Friday night: the Nashville Predators hope to even up their Western semi at two games apiece against the Phoenix Coyotes.

1. JF says:

According to RD§, Marc Crawford will soon be interviewed by Canadiens management for the head coaching position.

2. habs03 says:

Man, I want to see Rick Dudley hired as Ast GM, that would give some some serious scouting talent, with Dudley, Bergevin and Timmins.

There is enough experience with Dudley, and Larry Carriere to help out Bergevin, and there is Kevin Gilmore and Patrick Bolvin to help out with the cap/CBA.

MAKE IT HAPPEN BERGEVIN!!!

I wonder if Habs are looking at Dudley, they would have to wait until after the draft. Given his job with Leafs is currently most important now as the draft approaches.

• habs03 says:

Would make a lot sense, possible even after July 1st. But wow he would be great!

• Habfan10912 says:

Since HH says KaCa won’t be enough to get the Oilers top pick maybe we can
        Offer them to the Leafs fir permission to speak to him and sign him?
        ———————————–

• habs03 says:

Not sure its some sort of inside joke or something, but there is no need to give up anything for him. Since it would be a promotion to Ast GM of the Habs, from Director of Player Personal with the Leafs, it should be a problem getting him if Bergevin wanted, its just that he might have to wait, with Dudley having access to a lot of information to the Leafs current draft.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks Habs. No inside joke. Many posters nicknamed the defensive pairing of Kabrele and Campoli, KaCa. Further below I joked that we might pro the top pick from the Boilers in trading these two. But thank you for clearing this up for me. Wasn’t sureif any promotion would be granted permission to leave. Cheers.

———————————–

• Gumper Knows Best says:

Duds would be a great addition. Him and Carriiere go back to their days in Buffalo together. That would be a trifecta of great character people with a monster rolodex and trust. Who cares what titles you give or call people. Just get the best.
      Gilmore is huge but is now in the big business side of things

3. Max_a_million says:

Question:
    So why do Marc Bergevin and Patrick Roy get different treatment from posters?

93% of people seem to be in favor of the Bergevin hiring, and the atmosphere from posters is generally acceptance, approval, and agreement. He has never been a GM, has no GM experience … he seems to have a good background, and to be a likeable funny guy. That sure doesn’t guarantee he will be a great or good GM. Heck even if he makes great moves, and gets unlucky he could be viewed as a bad GM.

The loud herd with torches chasing the legacy of Patrick Roy screaming he has no NHL coaching experience. Why are they not bothered that Bergevin has no NHL GM experience? Shouldn’t we send Bergie to Columbus so he can be seasoned??? Pick a horse here, you want it both ways.

So you know I like the Bergevin move, and hope it is a good one. Although I can’t say until he cooks the pudding how it taste. Also I think Patrick is the best coaching candidate out there. He has, like Bergevin has done, paid his dues coaching in the minors. He is a former NHL player, bilingual, and the most ferocious person for the job. I want somebody who hates to lose, as Dick Irvin would say. I want players who hate to lose to play for him as well. I think our corp players can handle it, and could use a fire lit under them. Those who can’t can be replaced. Tired of being intimidated by the Bruins? Do you think Patrick will ever be intimidated by an opponent???

Really for the people trying to make Patrick Roy sound like less than he is:
    (5 Jennings, 3 Vezina, 3 Conn Smythe, 4 Stanley Cups, 63 saves in a stanley cup final game, 151 playoff victories, played in 5 finals and won 4 (remember we were excited Halak won a couple of rounds???), 10 straight overtime victories, do you remember him playing after suffering appendicitis???). Don’t get me wrong I love Ken Dryden, but this my friends is the best goalie to ever play the game!!!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Without a doubt.

I think the people who are afraid of Roy thinks he is too prone to losing it. I don’t think that’s fair, and I agree he should be among the 3-4 top coaching candidates for next year.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habs03 says:

Bergevin is experienced in the NHL, he was working in the NHL as head pro scout, ast coach, ast GM. So while he has no experience in being a GM, he has experience doing many of the jobs an NHL GM should be doing. I woudn’t mind Patrick Roy at all as coach, if he experienced ast coaches, that have been around the NHL, ex Larry Robinson, as possible in charge of the defence. Because, while Roy has experience coaching, he has no experience in the NHL.

• ont fan says:

One rookie at a time. Veteran coach, rookie GM.

• Caper says:

Serge Savard had two years under his belt when he hired Jean Perron-see 1986 amd competetive for years even when Perron was let go for Burns. Not endorsing Roy -just saying. See Yzerman and Boucher last year. Two rookies.

• Cal says:

“Why are they not bothered that Bergevin has no NHL GM experience?”
      How about MB has prepared to get the GM job, unlike Roy, who coaches kids?

• Habsrule1 says:

Some could argue it’s harder to get kids to listen to logic when NHL players know that what they are being told to do is likely the right thing.
        No way to know if he can do it until he tries. Even if he has to learn on the job. It’s not like anyone expects the Habs to win the Cup next season anyway. The season after next, Roy would have a year of NHL coaching experience.
        What’s the problem?

• Cal says:

Every kid on his team wants to be in the NHL, so your “some could argue” point is moot.
          Why should Roy be given the shortcut route? If he wants to be a NHL coach, why hasn’t he gone to the AHL?
          Is it simply because with the Remparts that what he says, goes? I’d say so.

• Habsrule1 says:

He made a decision that seemed better for him and his family. That said, he could very well be ready without having coached in the AHL. Hunter does not seem out of place. As I said, what better time for Roy to come in than when the expectations are relaively low?
            If he gets the Habs back to the playoffs his first year, that experience will have been very valuable and he can build on it.
            Anyway….interview candidates and hire the one best suited for the job. I really don’t care who it is.

• ont fan says:

For me ,I’d like one rookie at a time. Bergevin is going to need all the help he can get. He needs a vet coach so he can put out fires somewhere else. With Roy, I still am not over his theatrical departure.

• Habsrule1 says:

Then you should get over it. It’s not Roy’s fault you hold a grudge over a mistake he made 15 years ago.

• Hobie Hansen says:

It wasn’t a mistake Roy made it was Tremblay’s mistake.

• Habsrule1 says:

I think Roy also made the mistake of saying what he did to Corey in the heat of the moment, but he says he thought it could be talked about. He was hoping to work things out even after blurting that out in anger.

• Cal says:

The mistake was made by Houle, Tremblay and Roy. All 3 behaved like idiots.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Sorry all Temblay in my opinion. He’s the largest reason we’ve stunk for 20 years. No way to treat the best goalie to play the game.

• ont fan says:

Grudge..not so much. Just prefer experience coaching at this time. The other part I just threw in for controvercy.

• Gumper Knows Best says:

Patrick has not paid his coaching dues. He has not coached any pro athlete in either the AHL or NHL, and has never served as an assistant. His last NHL dressing room experience was in 10 years ago which is another world.

Bergevin, contrary to a MaGuire, played and excelled at all the stepping stones from scout to assistant coach to director of player personnel to AGM> and his new bosses that know a thing or 2 about leadership and being a team player, lauded those qualities in Bergevin.

You keep bringing up Roy’s record and accomplishments as a player and of course they cannot be denied, but they mean little as to whether or not he can be a leader of men, a respected team player, and a person who will not go ballistic and take his puck and go home at the first sign of adversity.

• Max_a_million says:

Patrick’s accomplishments mean he cares more than everyone else does. He works harder than everyone else does. And, in crunch time when many fold their tents and can’t handle the pressure, Patrick Roy can handle the pressure!

• Habsrule1 says:

Not everyone needs the same experience to be successful. I actually agree that I’d prefer him go to the AHL first, but if enough intelligent people decide he’s ready now, I’m ok with it.
        He can gain experience while the expectations are still fairly low and in 2 or 3 years he’ll have plenty of experience dealing with tough situations and NHL players.

• Mad Habber says:

One of the interesting things I heard Bergevin say was how important he thought hiring the right people was. (err that sentence seems confusing?) I believe he is going to look long and hard before going out and hiring the next head coach. Who knows perhaps all the front runners are just speculation, maybe it will he some up and coming coach that the “experts” haven’t named yet. If Patrick Roy is named head coach, then I believe it is because Bergevin wanted him.

Myself, I’m not so concerned with Roy not having coached in the NHL than I am with his temper. I could easily see him causing the same kind of stress as Mario Tremblay did to him. Though no one on the team is near the talent Roy had; I still would hate to see him chase off good players to satisfy his ego.

4. frontenac1 says:

Smiler re/Ribeiro, Agreed 100%!!He was an embarassment to the CH!

Wow, Adam Yauch, founding member of the Beastie Boys past away today. He was 47, cancer.

6. twilighthours says:

A comparison between Patrick Berglund and Filip Forsberg was made below. If that’s accurate, then yes please. Berglund is a beast.

Here is what I think. Habs purposely had McGuire in the running so that ANY other candidate who they’d actually select would look like an Einstein in comparison. McGuire never had a chance of being a GM, he was a decoy and now MB choice looks mighty good.

How is that for a theory?

Careful, you float ideas like that and you get chastised around here. There was an excellent post yesterday with slightly different motivation but similar end game.

Hey, I agree with Timo again! Cheers bud.

• Gumper Knows Best says:

You’re right but a different spin. This was an Oscar winning Hollywood play.

The Plot> How do we play to our fan base without making them feel bad and stupid and alienate them? We want positive media.

Act 1> Pretend that the people’s choice of Brisebois and Maguire were right at the top until the end

Act2> The suspense is incredible, but the race is already fixed.

Act 3> Brisebois and PM didn’t have a hope in helI of getting the job, so they make their pretend drama calls at the last minute to inform them.

The Conclusion> 95% of Habs fans and backers of JB and PM feel good and are on board as they naively believe their 2 heroes were a heart beat away from the job.

The End> Molson and the rest of the Habs ownership run around the office and high 5 all day. Brand protected from a master play.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

If MaGuire was considerred, then Foster Hewitt should have been GM for the Leafs and Danny Gallivan for the Habs. That woulda been a spinerama.

• Gumper Knows Best says:

Come on boys. This is the Entertainment business that uses hockey as a vehicle. If you don’t believe that, just do a rewind of the Bruins win over the Canucks last year. Why were the refs pockets cut out so when they put their whistles in there and went to look for them, they were around their ankles

• Gerry H says:

How’s that for a theory? Well, it’s clearly founded on the opening premise that the Habs are incapable of making a sound choice and thus surround all decision-making processes with subterfuge and deception, so that they can always “put lipstick on a pig,” as it were. You would have to have a very low opinion of the organization to think they’d operate that way, which begs an obvious question.

And who would be the audience for this bit of smoke and mirrors? It can’t be the Mcguire faction, since they will clearly be pissed that he didn’t get the job. Those that think Mcguire is an idiot? Wouldn’t they be alarmed that he even came close? And bear in mind that your premise is severely undermined by the fact that the runner-up, who has a pretty good pulpit to operate from, is likely to be highly motivated to point out the mistakes of the guy he lost to.

• Max_a_million says:

Seriously you think Molson has time for such games? Savard is not skipping a golf date to make bloggers happy … aye carumba.

McGuire has been runner up three times for a reason, he is smart, charming, and knows his business.

• Cal says:

McGuire was a trojan horse. A bald one with no mane, but still.

• ont fan says:

There can be no other reason Timo. Just glad you said it. People get real ornary around here with that kind of talk.

• Habsrule1 says:

It’s a funny theory, but that’s about it.
      MB will really only look good once he does something good.

8. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s fairly clear that when we draft 2 of the 3 following players will be available:

Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Murray.

How would you rank them?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• commandant says:

Personal view (1-4)
      BPA – Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Murray, Grigorenko,

Who I’d pick if I was MB
      Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Murray (difference is small between the two guys, so i take need. If Murray was head and shoulders above, I’d go BPA).

What our site ranked (multiple voters)
      Yakupov, Grigorenko, Murray, Galchenyuk – (1-4)

• Un Canadien errant says:

I really have no clue. It’s not a situation where you have to choose from a Pat Lafontaine or Sylvain Turgeon, or a Denis Savard or Doug Wickenheiser, or a Taylor-Tyler deal. In those cases you had two prospects with equivalent value but different skill sets, you could offer a preference, an opinion.

Both big centres have skill, but in different situations (injury, mononucleosis, Yakupov as a teammate, American-born Russian less likely to view the KHL as an option…)

I haven’t seen Ryan Murray play. If he was 6’4″ I’d say grab him, but at his size I don’t see him as being a clearly better prospect than any of the ten or twelve other defencemen who’ll be drafted early in the first round.

Again, I defer to the Timmins team on this one.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• jon514 says:

I say take size and skill over skill and skill. Grigorenko might only turn into a 2nd line Center if he’s too lazy… but he will be a 2nd line Center who brings intangibles. He’s the only player of the mold we desperately require in the position we desperately require.

I like the comparisons to Joe Thornton. To those nay-sayers… I can’t hear you cause I’ve got St-Patrick’s Stanley cup rings in my ears…

• commandant says:

Galchenyuk is 1 whole inch shorter than Grigorenko. A whole 1 inch. The guy is the same height as Cole and Pacioretty and already 205lbs.. and only 18, he’s a gym rat who will put on muscle.

Both of these centre prospects have size. its not an issue.

The thing though is Galchenyuk is far, far grittier than Grigorenko, so what good is the extra inch if Grigorenko doesn’t use his size.

• Max_a_million says:

I hope Timmins knows!

• Rob D says:

Galchenyuk (thanks for the spelling..I have no idea..lol) Murray and Grigorenko. Gal is the only top 3 forward I would draft for the Habs should they ask me and of course, they never do. I like how young this guy is and how dominant he’s been at a very early stage of his career. The injury is a big concern but I think he’ll be fine. I don’t like the questionable compete level of Grig (we have had enough of walking players around the park to get them to try harder a la Gainey/Kovalev and one A. Kostitsyn to last a lifetime)

5 years down the road we may wish we had a Dman from this draft (Ceci from the 67′s is a BEAST, for instance) but I believe Galchenyuk is the best risk/reward choice for the Habs. I’d also be happy with a trade down that gave us another 1st next year since that draft looks increasingly gold plated.

• boing007 says:

I can’t wait to hear the Bell Centre announcer pronounce his name (Galchenyuk) when he scores his first goal.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

9. boing007 says:

Huberdeau suspended for two games. Bummer.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

10. punkster says:

12:45 on Day 2 of the Bergevin Era and what has he done?

Nothing!

Dump his sorry butt on the nearest street corner.

DO IT GOEFF MOLSON!!!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

11. HabFanSince72 says:

So the Florida Panthers wouldn’t let us talk to Dale Tallon.

After we helped them by taking that broken down Zamboni off their hands.

Well f them.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

12. jon514 says:

We require more minerals…
    bring back White and Moen and a couple of other guys…

13. joshbenn says:

Can someone explain to me why forsberg is ranked in the top 5 consistently if he only has 20 points in 53 games? If he is a two-way forward like plekanec I think we need more pure offence because we have eller turning into a more defensive forward.

• mark_ID says:

Plus, he is not even in the highest league in Sweden to boot!

Q: Who put the gold in the Alaskan Bering Sea?

A: Scott Gomez

• commandant says:

I explained this in my profile of Forsberg, who we ranked #6. He doesn’t have the opportunity to play in the Elitserien. His club is an Allvenskan club.

It doesn’t work like the AHL/NHL where he could be called up.

Its more like European Football where the Elitserian is the EPL and the Allvenskan is the Coca-Cola Championship.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Nonetheless his low scoring total in a second tier league is a red flag.

Plus, couldn’t he be sold to an Elite team? That is how it works in soccer.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• commandant says:

Leksands doesn’t want to sell, because they will get more money under the transfer agreement for a first round draft choice.

They also were extremely close to qualifying for the SEL, losing out in the playoffs… so they also don’t want to sell their players as they are making the push to move back to the SEL.

Its somewhat of a red flag, and our site ranked him lower than Yakupov, Grigorenko and Galchenyuk, but his performance at the U18 and Hlinka show he can score. But it raises the question of how much.

As a 17 year old Nicklas Backstrom had 0 points in 17 SEL games as well, so its actually very common that these 17 year old kids don’t score much in the big Euro leagues.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Interesting. Thanks.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HabFab says:

Lot’s of logic in your responses, good for you.
            Hope you realize that logic doesn’t work too well here :)

• mark_ID says:

Yea that’s all I meant…was whether he has the opportunity to play in highest leaugue or not….his point total in the lesser league…is still less then stellar, ya know.

Q: Who put the gold in the Alaskan Bering Sea?

A: Scott Gomez

• commandant says:

The Swedish Allvenskan is a men’s league. He’s a 17 year old playing against men. He won’t even be 18 until August. For comparison’s sake Patrick Berglund played in the same league at the same age and scored 4 points.

At junior aged competitions… The IIHF U18 tournament, the Ivan Hlinka, etc… he has performed very well, and shown that he can score against other top draft eligible players

14. habsguru says:

AK/Radulov should dress… and sit on the bench to watch. win win, use them if you need to, and they still sweat it out

15. jedimyrmidon says:

Max Pac with 1G and 2A against France, not bad (tied in production with the other top point producers on his team). Still hope Canada destroys the US tomorrow though the defense is looking suspect. PK was probably the second best Dman on the team behind Duncan Keith.

• Malreg says:

The U.S. centermen are just laughable… Jim Slater is their 2nd line center! Their centers are Statsny, Slater, Abdelkader, and Jim Thompson.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Ouch… Their D looks better in terms of offensive ability with Faulk, Johnson and Goliogoski. Canada could sure have used Letang.

16. commandant says:

Barry Trotz indicates that Radulov and Kostitsyn will sit again tonight.

17. issie74 says:

Ryan Murray playing along side Duncan Keith for Canada against Slovakia and dosen’t look out of place.

NorthTOHab

18. FanCritic says:

I’m glad like everyone else they’ve made changes in the front office. I’ve been so disappointed for the last 18-19 years like a lot of the Hab fans I don’t believe anything until I actually see it. I’m sure Bergevin will make enough changes to hopefully make the playoffs 2013 which will be nice but it’s very disappointing when the team comes away every year empty handed. I would like to see a team that can win a cup ever so often. we can’t expect it every year all the teams is so evenly matched now any team can win it all. anyway good luck to Bergevin the new coach and the fans on a player upgrade this summer….

ESPN explaining why they don’t hate hockey, they just don’t feel it translates to TV.

• habsfan0 says:

Interesting that our American friends think hockey doesn’t “translate” well to tv. However, they all seem to believe that baseball does, despite the fact that a live camera very rarely tracks the flight of a ball..you have to watch an outfielder to get ANY clue of where the ball might be at any given moment.

• Cal says:

Sounds a lot like lame-ass excuses as to why ESPN was no longer interested in covering the NHL. ESPN was not able to grow the game and develop more interest in it. Neilson ratings demonstrating highschool swimming meets were getting better viewership sealed the deal for ESPN.
      The thing is, the NHL is a national thing pretty much only in Canada. Everywhere else it is a regional thing, unless a team surprises like the Yotes this year. Their viewership increases, but only for the 2 to 4 week period the team is in the playoffs. Afterwards, interest drops like a stone.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Funny, think that HDTV just makes watching hockey 10 times better, especially on 50 inches of Toshiba goodness.

@habsfan0, I do agree that it seems like a copout. Depending how you cover it, anything can be made boring or captivating. Le Tour de France, America’s Cup yachting, Slamball, there are some unlikely sports out there that are a joy to watch. Baseball is pretty bad on TV, they’re slowly improving it. I like the strike zone graphic, they should even use that instead of the umpire, like the line beeper in tennis.

@Cal, I think it’s sour grapes too, they’d be cheerleading the NHL like crazy if they had the contract. In this day and age, you’d think that the right partner would have gotten the NHL to smarten up, open up the game, make it more fan friendly. I think ESPN had a shot at an underpriced property and they blew it. Especially now with the multiple channels, they could have had success with hockey, and tailored their offerings by region (less hockey more NASCAR in the South).

@Burly, reading the article, I get the sense that there’s a chicken and the egg quandary there. The reason there isn’t that much interest in hockey is that there’s not much coverage, and there’s not much coverage because …. If they put their shoulder to the wheel, they could drive the ratings, like TSN did with the CFL, for example.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

20. habs001 says:

Pk is the type of player you need when you become a cup contender…right now we are so weak at d who can skate the puck out of the zone,handle physical play,pinch and support our forwards, and play pp point….

21. Dr.Rex says:

Random thoughts on a Friday morning:

1) The female reporter that covers the team for TSN……..Does anyone know if she is on twitter cause I never hear her insight. IS she any relation to Boone cause the resemblence is uncanny?
    2) Although I was a strong naysayer of McGuire I did feel a ilttle bad for him on Wednesday. TO wake up finding out you didnt get the job then have to do the rounds telling uneducated radio hosts and then to be up all night trying to pretend HE was excited the Rags game went to triple OT. IT was a tough day for him.
    3) IT feels really strange to have a manager that I am proud of. NOT only is this a hiring the majority of us can agree with but its nice to see a good person be chosen. Gives me hope for myself down the road.
    4) Teh good news for Leaf fans is that McGurie should still be availble next April 10th when Burkie gets canned.
    5) I have a hard time understanding those fans who say they dont care there are no canadian teams left cause all teams have lots of Canadian players……….WHAT? DO people cheer for the CFL team with most canadian born stars are due to the region of the team? DO people cheer for the NFL team with most canadians? PRobably not so please enough of this it doesnt matter that all canadian teams are elminated because it does matter.
    6) Whats with all the former coaches of the habs being named as candidates? WHy not just include Mario Trembley, Jean Perron, Jacques Lemaire and Demers in the running as well.

• Habsrule1 says:

I honestly never cared much whether there was a Canadian team in the playoffs. It sounds sweet and everything, but the sens did not represent Canada to me. In a way, I don’t want any other Canadian team to be the last Canadian team to win the Cup.
      I don’t identify with any other team but the Habs, Canadian or otherwise….just like I couldn’t care less if the jays won the World Series.
      These are not MY teams.

• Un Canadien errant says:

1) I believe that’s Teresa Hergert.

2) Agreed. Never had anything against him, just thought he was criminally underprepared to helm my Canadiens. Just like I never had anything against Réjean Houle, except for all the open nets he missed as a player. This changed when he took over as GM.

6) We have to prime the pump, get some of the up and coming LHJMQ coaches hired and working in Hamilton, get the next generation ready. Even if they’re scooped by other organizations like Guy Boucher, it still creates a pool of candidates for down the road and a network of contacts for the team.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

22. Stormin says:

In North America we BOO the refs for bad calls, International Hockey they whistle at the refs for bad calls, I would think we should come to some kind of displeasure unification such as 20 000 people mooning the ref for A bad call.

23. Stormin says:

Ward a little weak on that goal

24. rhino514 says:

The irony is that the Nashville incident probably would never have happened in Montreal because the players are all too aware they would be recognized and found out.
    So this raises an interesting question:
    On the one hand, players are held to higher standard and don´t behave in a manner that would be detrimental to the team. I´m convinced that if you tolerate players like Sergei Kostitsyn or Ribeiro, just to name a couple, their behavior affects the rest of the team. Other players start to question why they should exhibit a team first mentality when other players are allowed to act selfishly at times without consequences. You cannot win a Cup if the team is not totally united and on the same page. I support the club in all the instances they have let a player go who wasn´t doing justice to the saint-flanelle.

On the other hand, players who would normally show their true selves are, in a manner of speaking, forced into line. They may not misbehave, but they are still the same players who lack heart and integrity nonetheless. And they are still on your team. Only now, you can´t identify them.

All in all i would tend to think a good coach knows who is giving his all and who isn´t, even without the proof of late night adventures. But it is an interesting question.

Curious also that Cherry said he would never have benched Radulov nor Kostitsyn because in the short run it hurts the team. There are a hundred other ways to punish them, according to him. I know everyone seems to be supporting Trot´s politically correct decision, but i think it is a very tough dilemma. Fortunately, the team won the next game so he comes off looking like a genius.

One thing for certain, I would not want a guy like Radulov on my team and if I were the predators I would get what I could for him after the season, even if it ain´t that much.

• smiler2729 says:

All young players mature, I’d have kept Sergei Kostitsyn, he had more upside than Andrei.

As for Ribeiro, once an a**hole, always an a**hole. The partying and the “Three Amigos” thing, he may have grown out of eventually (apparently not if you ask the Dallas Stars) but his soccerdiving antics in the ’04 playoffs vs. Boston were the most embarrassed I’ve ever been as a Habs fan (the second most embarrassed was that 7-0 beatdown Boston gave us last season after the Chara-Patches thing).

• Un Canadien errant says:

I thought Mr. Radulov was being demonized for circumventing the NHL’s entry-level contract rules. He decided he was being underpaid and didn’t have any bargaining power, so he split for another league that allowed him that opportunity. Personally, anyone that sticks it to an NHL owner is fine by me. I now see that the issue runs deeper, he’s not just a strong-willed guy who wouldn’t knuckle under, the curfew incident and the instances when he didn’t backcheck show him to be the selfish guy everyone’s been harping about all along.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Habfan10912 says:

Rhino, as far as Cherab, Sherry, or whatever his name is, how many cups did he win? I don’t hold anything he says as significant. He is now nothing more then an entertainer who’s time has passed.
      As far as Trots is concerned, sometimes you achieve a long time success with a short term loss. This might be the case in Nashville. Interesting to watch it unfold, huh?

———————————–

• habsnyc says:

The Nashville incident happened when the team was on the road. It could happen to any team on the road, in any sport.

I support the player in every instance where management has proven themselves to be zero judge of talent, and lives in a fantasy land.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

25. smiler2729 says:

Patrick Roy was awesome except when he let in 11 Red Wing shots that one night.

There’s no doubt he benefitted from an awesome Colorado team in front of him BUT they also benefitted from having him between the pipes.

Of course Habs mystique being what it is, he got built up even greater than he was and he was in fact great, that’s the beauty/curse of wearing the CH.

• RGM says:

9. They finally pulled him after 9.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• smiler2729 says:

Damn Jablonski couldn’t do any better eh

• commandant says:

Mario spouting his mouth off about how Scotty Bowman mistreated him in the 70s, and how much he wanted to beat his former coach before that game was even played, didn’t help matters.

Most coaches would have called off the dogs at some point. But Bowman had bulletin board material there, and never did.

• habsnyc says:

Ironically, that probably cost Bowman a Cup or two. I do nto think he envisioned that embarrassing Montreal would lead to creating the biggest rivalry in the West for the next decade.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The beat of a butterfly’s wings…

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Cal says:

With the star team Colorado had, they should have won 2 or 3 more Cups. Instead, they won 2.

26. Stormin says:

The only way I bring Hal Gill back is to help David Desharnais reach his helmet on the locker room shelf.

27. jon514 says:

I would argue that Gerard Gallant has just as much of a shot at a coaching position with the habs as Patrick Roy.

Players they coached in junior:

Roy:
    -Grigorenko (Possible 2012 1st round pick)
    Gallant:
    -Beaulieu (2011 1st overall pick, and looking awesome)

Memorial Cups:
    Roy: won one in 2006
    Gallant: won one in 2011 and looking to repeat in 2012.

What do you think?

• smiler2729 says:

His Blue Jackets legacy tarnished him.

Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

Very good candidate, also has NHL Head Coach experience, granted it was the horrendous Columbus Bluejackets under the guise and leadership of Doug Mclean who had no idea the draft was for picking the best players available.

I like the idea of Gallant.

• jon514 says:

He seems like he’s on the rise. If his team repeats at the memorial cup, he should at least be offered a coaching job in Hamilton. He obviously understands how to employ talent, his team is obviously stacked, but that should not be held against him, but looked at as a positive because he extracted these players true potentiel. Wonder what he could have done with Kostitsyn?

• jon514 says:

Also the habs were horrendous under Alain Vigneault, doesn’t mean I wouldn’t hire him in a second!

• Stormin says:

I have said for weeks Gallant deserves consideration.

• Habsrule1 says:

Agree to an extent. 1 thing Gallant does not have is 10 years as the Habs best goalie in recent history, or maybe ever.

28. PrimeTime says:

Ooops…..can edit from BB but my last comment should read “…..great goalies from other NHL are respected in MTL but NOT in the same regard as the Roy generation of Hab fans”.

29. Malreg says:

J-F Chaumont ‏ @JFChaumont

« Brian Burke et Kirk Muller m’ont chacun dit que le Canadien ne pouvait pas choisir un meilleur gars avec Bergevin.» – Pacioretty.

Translation: Pacioretty said that both Brian Burke and Kirk Muller told him the Canadiens could not have chosen a better guy in Bergevin for GM.

It feels weird to have a GM that is actually respected around the league!

30. Captain aHab says:

Man I hope Bergevin doesn’t disappoint….

“I realize that trading the negotiating rights to Price and Subban, and throwing in Pacioretty, was a high price for Rick Dipietro, but my main goal was for us to be solid in nets for years.”;-D

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

31. PrimeTime says:

Roy is as deserving to be in the Hall as all the other Goalie inductees. Brodeur will be too! All I am saying is the Roy legend is greater in Quebec cuz he is a from Quebec…..great goalies from other NHL are respected in MTL but in the same regard as the Roy generation of Hab fans.

• mrhabby says:

roy is respected and admired across Canada. My boys friends who are in there early 20′s remember and talk about him when we discuss hockey.

32. smiler2729 says:

Why do I get the feeling Nashville comes back and takes their series?

Unless Trotz upsets the apple cart and re-inserts his lazy truants and sits the hungry footsoldiers that replaced them, the Preds take it in 6 or 7.

• Stormin says:

from the Russian Vodka you have been drinking

• smiler2729 says:

Pour me another and watch it happen…

Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

Don’t know if you saw this morning Smiler, but TSN showed a clip from Preds practise yesterday and you could see Tootoo and Radulov exchanging pleasantries.

I Trotz has been very open in his discussions with Weber, Suter etc.. in what steps the team takes next. This little Bill and Teds Misadventure may just be what that team needed to galvonize them as a unit.

I find it much easier to cheer for Nashville minus Radulov and his soul mate.

• RGM says:

I picked the Preds as my team out of the West this year, so I hope you’re right. A series between Nashville and LA would be one heckuva goalie duel.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

33. twilighthours says:

One last one: who are these folks diminishing the legend of Roy?

2 facts tell the tale: 3 Conn Smythes, and the most playoff wins ever.

He was one of the best ever, if not the best. And yeah, I watched his rookie season and every one since.

34. boing007 says:

Much prefer the large ice surface in the Canada/Slovakia game.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

35. New says:

We’re all naturally excited to see the Habs pick third. Before the season the 2012 draft was forecast as weak. The only thing that has changed since then was our belief that Montreal could get a great player.

If you step back none of these kids has really distinguished themselves or achieved great things. Many could become good or maybe even great players. It is a crapshoot this year.

I think many of the picks will be in play. Maybe even Montreal’s.

• commandant says:

Before the season the 2012 draft class was forecast as very strong, especially in defencemen.

Its only lately that its been called weak. The reason, like 80% of the projected first rounders have suffered injuries this season, its been the most injured draft class I’ve ever seen.

This is a better draft than 2007 and we ended up taking McDonagh, Subban, and Pacioretty that year.

Also when a scout calls a draft class weak or strong he is speaking about depth, not what is available at the #3 pick.

36. twilighthours says:

This talk of PK being traded is foolish. Seriously. There are only a handful of D-men in the L better than him. You can’t replace a guy like him, really. If you went back and re-did the 07 draft, he’d be top 10, probably top 5. He and Benn were the steals of that draft. Doesn’t get along well with his teammates? Then get rid of his teammates. He’s the guy you build around. He is the Habs’ best player.

Honestly. It’s possible Yakupov will be better than Subban one day, but I doubt it.

37. habsguru says:

bring back Gill, and PK will be fine. IMO i think we should get the rest of the Subbans.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Gill is old and washed up…

I wonder if Randy Ladoceur doesn’t have the respect of PK and perhaps other, and perhaps if a Robinson were handling the D, we may have a different story.

Watching Ladoceur yelling at players on the bench as an Asst. Coach I found to be disturbing, especially with the regularity it seemed to happen.

• RGM says:

Did you see the way they played this year? It was either yell at them or make a note in the notebook.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• mdp2011 says:

I am all for bring Gill back as assitant coach, not as a player.

38. twilighthours says:

Couldn’t help but notice golden-boy Giroux throwing a stool around and generally acting like a baby last night. Now if his last name were Crosby….

39. PrimeTime says:

PK is liked in MTL but if was french he would be adored and there would never be a rumour of him being traded. Imagine if you will……how the persona of PK, and Price, would be so much different if they were Quebecers!!

Isn’t it normal for a fanbase of a team to be even more passionate if a hometown kid is the team hero? Why is that confusing to you? The fans do love PK, and it seems despite the Halak/Price controversy Price gets his share of love as well.

If indeed the best player on the team was a local kid, it would even be greater, this is natural no?

Think if the Canucks weren’t idiots when trading away local boy Neely, he would have been a rock star there.

I don’t understand the gist of your statement.

• smiler2729 says:

Behind the perceived hysteria of call-in shows, blogs and formats like this, the greater silent majority in Quebec and everywhere know and ‘adore’ Subban and Price.

Trading Halak and keeping Price was a no-brainer even Gauthier couldn’t f*ck up even if he did screw up the actual deal.

Subban’s much publicized gaffes and spats with his coaches are all normal but get blown up by Habs media types cuz it makes good fodder to keep the phone in shows and the websites busy.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Right, he’s moderately liked every time the fans at the New Forum chant his name in unison.

He would be adored if he was from Québec? That’s a genius insight. You think fans have a soft spot for local boys? Maybe ask Brian Burke whether stuff like that matters. Look at the San Diego Union Tribune’s coverage of the passing of Junior Seau, see if a local boy who stars on the local team has a special resonance with fans.

Look, Prime, something’s burning your britches, you’re deliberately trying to inflame instead of contributing to a discussion. You’re squarely instigating. Why don’t you go for a run, burn off some of that nervous energy, instead of demeaning Patrick Roy’s career and getting out the ole’ broad brush. On my end, I’ll stop rising to your bait. Deal?

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• New says:

You have to be kidding me! These guys both comport themselves like true pros, are adored by the fans, and do more community work and PR in a day than most other team’s players do in a decade.

40. habsguru says:

Oilers could trade their 5th for Souray!

41. The Jackal says:

As someone mentioned before, who would replace the quality minutes that PK plays on D? It would not be a good trade for us as it would create a hole in our D that we can’t plug. It is not a good trade for us. We already have a good pick this draft to land us a good forward and we can trade that for a good forward too. PK is a no no. This rumour, as well as those of him not being liked, are just pure speculation born of idleness.

42. Max_a_million says:

My thinking that Roy revolutionized the goalie position is beside the point. His image amongst hockey people has him being voted as the best goalie ever often, and so many young goalies emulated him. Again all that aside. The crux of my post before was that he was not Gretzky or Richard. He was a third round pick who had to work hard to be the best goalie.

So my main points are
    (1) I don’t think he would suffer from the prodigy is too naturally good to do something that he can’t teach it problem. Especially since he is a goalie, and most of the players he would be coaching are not goalies.

(2) I think letting someone else hire him to season him is ridiculous. Then you are planning to fail, and hire a new coach in a couple of years. You would be hoping for him to fail elsewhere.

I really liked Pat Burns as our coach, I really like the job Torterella does with his teams and players, I like a Bill Parcells coach … I don’t think players are turned away from it. Torts has lots of loyal players who follower him, because he brings out the best in them. Same with the Tuna.

It’s been a long time since we have had a coach who brings out the best in our players. How come we are always lamenting how when a player leaves Montreal he scores so many more goals and flourishes. Time and time again. I want other fans to be disappointed in their team, because player ‘X’ comes to Montreal and has a career scoring year. Who the heck on Montreal has had their career year with the habs?

• mdp2011 says:

I agree. I think Roy should be the number 1 coaching candidate. He has paid his dues in the Q and he is a very smart man. All we kept hearing when JM was coaching the Habs was how he lacked any sort of emotion, now everyone is saying Roy is too emotional, I don’t buy it. It is not as if he has been wasting his time on L’Antichambre or Le Match for the past few years, like some of the other candidates, he was actually paying his dues in the Q. Guys like Carbo, who is dying to get back into coaching, refuses to go to the Q or the AHL to get any sort of exposure and experience. Please keep these “TV Coaches” away from the Habs and hire someone who has been coaching the last 7 years.

• Gerry H says:

“Who the heck on Montreal has had their career year with the habs?”

Erik Cole.

Just sayin’.

• boing007 says:

Erik Cole.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

43. adamkennelly says:

PK is not getting traded – not for a first round pick, not for 2 of them.

• Max_a_million says:

I agree.

We can’t forget the business side of things here. Aside from his great talent, and youth. Business wise it would be a terrible deal. the guy sells jerseys, posters, seats, pucks, … The fans want him, and this is not something that would be overlooked.

44. Old Bald Bird says:

I wonder is there’s any discussion amongst the top drafting teams. For example: would Habs know how the first two picks were going down?

Edmonton must wonder what to do. They need D, but would they pass on Yakupov? Habs need O, but would they pass on O’Reilly?

45. Habitall says:

Re. all the talk of trading PK to Edmonton for their first, I agree that if it’s PK plus our 3rd for their first, no way is it worth it. But if it’s PK straight up for their first, we could wind up with Yakupov & Galchenyuk (or Grigorenko). While I don’t want to trade Subban, the prospect of 2 high picks is about the only scenario that would make me reconsider.

• nbsjfan says:

Trading PK for anything short of a sure fire prospect in the ilk of a Crosby or Stamkos is pure insanity. The insane days are gone now with the arrival of the new GM.

46. Stormin says:

It is a matter of defining the team, Bergevin will have to talk to all the team especially the leaders, to win in today’s game you have to have a real tight team as well as skill, heart and toughness. When rumors persist this long that he is not being well received by his team mates and more for his style of play than his persona, you can either trade away half the team or the player that is not fitting in, time will tell.

I love PK’s ability, i feel he hangs on to the puck at times too long, and gets involved with too much of the rat aspects of hockey, for such a highly skilled player, but he is so young and will learn , let us hope it all going to work out.

47. PrimeTime says:

@Clay
    Playoff wins are easier to accumulate when you play on good teams. Colarado was one of the best all round teams, including Roy. Roy was as good as a goalie gets but he legendary status is greater in MTL cus of “the trade” and he is french……if he was Anglo, whole diff story!

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’ve obviously got an axe to grind. Patrick Roy is a legend much as Ken Dryden is a legend, and they’re paired in Montrealers’ minds because they won completely unlikely Cups in their rookie years. The legendary status is because of the overtime wins, the wink, the guarantee to his teammates in the dressing room that he wasn’t letting another goal in.

Look, if you’re sore about Pierre MacGuire not getting hired, just say that. If you’re mad at the student protesters, say that. If it bugs you that all the signs are in French, say that. You’ve obviously got a bee in your bonnet. But you’re tilting at windmills here. Mr. Roy was miraculous when it counted, for entire playoff runs as opposed to a series or two, that’s why he’s a legend. He gave us two Cups we wouldn’t have had otherwise.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• New says:

I think it was Jordan who was asked about a last second three pointer that won the game that snatched victory from sure defeat. He laughed and replied the reporter wouldn’t believe how many times he missed that shot and no one remembered.

Roy won. His teams were good, maybe great. The playoffs are full of good, sometimes great teams. Often it isn’t them that wins the cup. Roy did. Dryden did. Plante did. They become the standard by which all others are held.

• Habsrule1 says:

Roy did not play on good teams his whole career. If he had he’d have even more Cups than he did. Even on those great Colorado teams, he was the best player on them. He probably should have won the Conn Smythe in 1996 and did win it in 2002 (I believe those were the years).
      He would have been a legend regardless of what team he played for.

Go Habs Go!!

I think the Montreal teams were good teams, not elite by any stretch of the imagination. Roy was the catalyst to take the team over the top. But to say those Colorado teams weren’t good isn’t fair. Sakic, Forsberg, Blake, Bourque, Foote, a young and productive Drury with a young productive Hejduk, along with some excellent role players like Yelle, Claude Lemieux, Adam Deadmarsh. Those were elite teams with an elite goalie.

• Habsrule1 says:

Never said they were not good (if the comment was directed at me). just said that Roy was the best part of a good team. Replace Roy and they do not win. I’m not sure the same can be said of the others.

48. habsguru says:

MB will be slow and steady. the young core is the way to go. want a splash? move 79

• smiler2729 says:

Yeah but who’d want him?

• RGM says:

It’s almost a shame that he wasn’t set to go/invited to the World Championships in that regard. It could have been a good opportunity to showcase himself and show that he’s still got it, and as such for the Habs to demonstrate to potential suitors that he’s definitely worth the risk.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• smiler2729 says:

Like Gomez, this new version of the Habs has passed him by, he no longer fits in.

And I’m reading his attitude sucks especially towards Subban, who’s taking his place.

• commandant says:

Markov was clearly not 100%, how could he be after missing nearly 2 full years.

He’s gonna take time to get up to full game speed. Heck it might not even be 100% of game speed to start the seaosn.

I have patience for him to shake the rust off… we’ll see the real Andrei after a good 10-15 games next year.

49. commandant says:

Unless you can sign Ryan Suter (and I strongly doubt he signs here) there is not a player available who would replace Subban’s quality for 25 minutes per game. Trade him and you are tanking again, the defence will be too weak.

50. Malreg says:

For anyone interested, all World Championship games will be streamed live on Youtube. Here is a link to the Canada vs Slovakia game going on right now. It’s 1-0 Canada after 1 period.

51. Stormin says:

I believe Montreal will make a major move draft day with either Pittsburgh and or Edmonton and quite possibly both, Look for Marc Bergevin to really stamp his mark on the team

I heard a rumour about a high profile trade the Habs are considering. And no it isn’t their 3rd for Jordan Staal. Rather it is a young marquis Habs player for Edmonton’s 1st pick. I was dumbfounded when I heard it. Any guesses as to the Habs player?

Here’s a hint. I don’t believe it because if the Oilers really need a defence man they could just nab Ryan Murray.

• shiram says:

The way you talk about it, it does not even warrant trying to guess who the player is.

• habsfan0 says:

Would the Habs be that desperate to move from Number 3 to Number 1?

I honestly don’t see that much of a disparity between the top 3 selections in this year’s draft that would warrant the Habs moving a marquee player to get the first pick.

• smiler2729 says:

I don’t either, not worth P.K. Subban

• Instant Karma says:

I don’t think our 3rd pick would be included in the trade. So we would have the #1 and 3 picks

• HardHabits says:

Yes that is how I read it too. The marquis player straight up for the 1st giving the Habs a 1st and 3rd pick.

• Habitall says:

That’s what I was thinking (see my comment above), which makes it more intriguing. With, say, Yak & Galch or Yak & Grig, you’d have 2/3rds of a scoring line (albeit, say, a 3rd line). Suddenly, someone like Plekanec, whose trade value is pretty good, becomes expendable for a good d-man — maybe not with PK’s raw talent, but you have to like Beaulieu coming up. I just think talented forwards are hard to come by, and you’d have to consider it.

• Stormin says:

Yes this is true but Edmonton’s pro scouting dept is in love with you know who’s puck moving ability, they are pushing for him as the rumours continue that you know who is not fitting in, in the Habs dressing room. the Oilers are also willing to throw in another key player in the deal . All speculation and rumors but the problem rumors persist.

• D Mex says:

When Geoff Molson comments that the Habs will do ” whatever it takes “, to me it leaves someone like Subban in play.

I am among the few who would be OK with the Habs moving him provided the return is measured, and a (reputed) young talent such as Yakupov would seem to fit the bill.

Having D prospects in the pipeline makes this a viable consideration IMO. I’d much rather see Subban walk than MaxPac. Regardless, my own comfort level with Bergevin at the helm is much higher than it was / could have been if Gauthier had stayed.

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• LNev says:

There’s been some sputtering about Montreal shipping PK out for that pick, but it is usually sputtered by someone with zero credibility (ie: Nick “Malkin will be traded today – 2010 trade dealine” Kypreos) and then shot down by someone with a touch of common sense (Bob MacKenzie).

• JoeC says:

Everyone on Sportsnet are hacks . I love how fast Dreger and MacKenzie shot down the idea of montreal being stupid enought to buy out Gomez before the CBA or burrying him.

• New says:

A sure thing for the first overall? Why not, they’re losing with the sure thing anyway. But in the 2012 draft a sure thing AND a third overall for the first is a loss and nonsense. There is hardly a bit of difference between any of the first five, other than marketing.

First and third–one might turn out to be ok and you take a gamble that both would be ok. That is even at worst and a chance at a gain.

• habsguru says:

I can’t imagine that MB would start his stint by moving PK. It’s said he is not well received in the dressing room? do you like everyone in your office? we met PK twice this year, and he acted as a NHL’er should have. he is a fan favorite, and he produces. how well liked do you think Kaberle is in the room? well he’s nice, but can’t skate… must be a keeper! who starts these rumors?

• Habfan10912 says:

Kaca?

———————————–

53. PrimeTime says:

@Max-a-million.
    Tony Esposito did the butterfly long before before Roy. I take it you didn’t see those days which puts you in the generation of Hab fans that believe Roy is a God. Not so…..his legend grew after the record playoff OT wins, but in reality he performed no better than any other goalie gets hot in the playoffs……almost like Halak but Roy won. Thomas last year, Quick perhaps this year……the difference is Roy played on good teams in Colarado so he was able to carry the rep longer. If he stayed in MTL his greatness statas would not be a large.

• Clay says:

You grossly underestimate Roy. He happens to hold a very distinctive record – Most playoff wins by a goaltender, career: Patrick Roy, 151.
      He was not just like ‘any other goalie’.

__________________________
      ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Habsrule1 says:

Wow….unbelievable post. For someone to even consider taking away Roy’s greatness is shocking. He won the Conn Smythe trophy 3 times! He was the best goalie under pressure that the league has ever seen. His teams in Montreal were mediocre, but he still got them 2 Cups, and likely would have managed more had he stayed.
      Say what you want, but he was arguably the best ever…unfortunately we can’t compare eras for too many reasons to mention.

• smiler2729 says:

True dat and Glenn Hall was butterflying before Tony O

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s an inaccurate assessment of Patrick Roy’s career, and an unnecessary attempt to tarnish his achievements. Patrick Roy was consistently one of the top 3 goaltenders of his era, year in year out. He took it to an unworldly level in the playoffs, and that is how the legend was born, based on fact. You and I saw him play, so don’t try to kid me.

You’re right that Cesare Maniago and Tony Esposito were butterfly goalies before Patrick. He only made the style way more popular, in conjunction with the goalie equipment revolution, with new fabrics and materials making it much lighter and allowing a goalie to get back up more quickly.

If you don’t support his being hired for Head Coach of the Canadiens, just say that, and support your opinion with facts and logic, instead of trying to assassinate his reputation to further your agenda.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• commandant says:

Roy may not have been the first goalie to use the butterfly style… but he was the guy who perfected and popularized the style.

• mrhabby says:

i watched TE many times and i don’t remember him doing the butterfly , he might have done some type of hybrid. Make no mistake TE was an excellent goalie. But for me, Roy influenced a new generation and refined the butterfly style to perfection.
      Roy dominated the postion for years and was one of the fiercest competitors in net i have ever seen. I would say he played on average teams while in Montreal . I saw him when he was a rookie and went to all the home playoff games in 86 and 93.

54. Stormin says:

Talking with Mike Matheson, he says Playing with Dumba at the Ivan Hlinka was a treat, a real competitive and great team mate, really impressed playing against Seth Jones and Robbie Baillargeon . Playing the whole year with Zemgus Girgensons, was a blast, Zemgus will be a steal in the first round.

55. Clay says:

Regarding Nashville – it takes some serious intestinal fortitude to suspend your 2 leading scorers in a playoff game when already down 2-0 in a series. Great move in my opinion – sends a strong message that the team comes first. It seems the rest of the players got that message loud and clear, as they came through with a gutsy win in game 3. Can they do it again? Will the delinquents be allowed to return for game 4? This drama actually makes this one of the more exciting series, despite my indifference to both teams.

__________________________
    ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• shiram says:

It’s been pretty boring after the first round.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I salute Trotz and the Preds for this gutsy move. Staying out until 4 P.M. drinking is no way to prepare for a game, no way to treat team mates and fans who are counting on you to give your best. AK is a proven flake and it looks like Radulov is no better. I got in trouble yesterday for wondering about male denizens of the former Soviet Union’s drinking habits but I still have to wonder about these guys in that regard. Something has affected AK’s performance. With all that ability and such meager returns, are we getting a sniff of what is actually wrong with him?

56. habsguru says:

Bergevin will work out. he is not so vane to attempt it on his own, and likely has a management team lined up. McGuire would have been good as well, but what’s done is done.

Language was not as much of an issue for the GM as it will be for the Coach.

Roy or Therien……………………………………………
    SERIOUS!!!

If he hires either, tell him his hiring was just a joke, and bring in McGuire.

57. Phil C says:

The obvious move for Patrick Roy is to let him coach in Hamilton. This is the most common path to an NHL coaching job. Even Kirk Muller couldn’t get hired until he went to the AHL first. A couple of years in Hamilton would only make him better. If he is not willing to make that sacrifice, then you would have to question his commitment level to being an NHL coach.

• habsfan0 says:

Yes, but how long did Muller spend coaching in the AHL?

• commandant says:

Muller didn’t have a decade of head coaching experience, including a Memorial cup in the CHL.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

And just how well did Carolina do under his guidance? 12th in the conference. Milwaukee continued to do well under his erstwhile assistant, Ian Herbers, by winning their division. Let’s hear it for assistant coaches!

• Strummer says:

Peter DeBoer and Pat Burns each only coached a year in the AHL and Dale Hunter has no AHL experience.

If you hire veteran assistants like Big Bird he can learn on the job very quickly- Burns had Laperriere and Carbo had Jarvis and Gainey for a half season

• mdp2011 says:

How can you question Roy’s level of commitment to being an NHL coach? The guy has been riding the bus and paid his dues in the Q the past 7 years. Kirk Muller coached a total of 15 games before he was hired, you want to compare that with 7 years in the Q?

58. Cal says:

While everything is going right for the Kings, everything continues to go wrong for the Blues. Their young core is failing against the more experienced group led by Brown. Quick has excelled while Elliot has been ordinary with gusts to mediocre. The timely injury to Halak has helped the Kings because Hitchcock really has no option other than to keep going with Elliot.
    Loved watching NJ beat Philly. Behind only the Gooins on my hate list, I very much would like the Devils to beat them.
    #3 on my hate list is the Rangers. Go Caps Go!
    I don’t hate the laffs; I pity their fans.

• Un Canadien errant says:

My hate list has the Bruins on top as well, and that’s about it.

The Flyers aren’t a goon team anymore, especially with Chris Pronger out of the lineup. I still hate the old teams, but I can deal with the brand of hockey they play now.

The Nordiques used to be at the top, Dale Hunter still makes me seethe, but if a new incarnation of the team returned, I might give them a trial/grace period.

Never really hated the Leafs, they’ve never mattered in my lifetime. The ‘rivalry’ was a Toronto media creation, none of us franco fans who were insulated from the CBC hype even knew we were supposed to be in a rivalry with those guys. Those games were just a sure two points, and that’s all. Hated Tie Domi and Wade Belak and Darcy Tucker, hated the undue media attention that made everyone of their flashes in the pan ‘stars’, but that’s about it, .

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

59. commandant says:

Michael Matheson of Point-Claire Quebec, and former Lac St. Louis Lion is todays prospect.

• Stormin says:

Just finished working out with Matheson,, now watching Team Canada, I have scouted some major talent off the last few Lac St louis lion teams watching game right now but the list is long from Louis Leblanc , to Mike Matheson, and Next year possible 1st round selections Anthony Duclair and Jonathan Drouin, just too name a few , enjoy Team Canada game all.

60. habsfan0 says:

St. Louis Blues: No Halak…no chance.

Too bad Halak got injured.

• Clay says:

Elliot showing the ages old issue – a goalie who can excel in the regular season, but fades in the playoffs. The NHL annals are full of such goalies…

__________________________
      ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• smiler2729 says:

It’s not a goaltending problem.

The Blues are just not as good as their record indicated, they’re a very green team in terms of youth as their nucleus.

Langenbrunner and Arnott are the only seasoned vets…

• boing007 says:

It also appears that the Kings, after all, really are a better team than the Sharks.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

61. Max_a_million says:

Isn’t what made Roy great was developing the butterfly technique of goalie? Wasn’t much of what he did working harder to revolutionize the position. Applying incredible determination to win. It’s not as though he was the #1 drafted prodigy who never had to put much effort into being better than everybody else.

Let him getting hired somewhere else first makes no sense at all. What if he is hugely successful in Colorado, or Quebec, or wherever and never becomes available. It could also burn a bridge with him. Plus then we would have to be planning on hiring an interim coach to fail? I don’t think we should be planning to fail, instead we should be planning to excel.

If he is the best candidate available then hire him. Many are lamenting the French business, but there just aren’t any huge names out there English or French to put your finger on.

Vigneault won’t be available. Of the others I like Carbo, but I think Roy would add some Pizzaz, some air of strength, some passion, I am tired of ho hum. It’s the fricken Montreal Canadiens! Let’s get someone in here who can bring it!

62. Un Canadien errant says:

Boone! You were linked to by Katie Baker of Grantland in her latest “Cold Hearted.”

It’s kind of way down at the bottom, you’ll have to scroll quite a bit, and I’m not sure if she really got it, your tone seems to have confused her, but still. Katie’s da bomb, one of my current harmless crushes, along with the Preds’ Ice Girl with the catfish.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

I saw that, too.

I second the harmless crush on Baker. She seems like an awesome chick to have a beer with.

_______________________________
      Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• Clay says:

I love how she referred to the story as “this amusingly arched-eyebrow account” :)

__________________________
      ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not even sure what that means? Does she think Boone is a patrician fop who looks down on Marc Bergevin’s common touch?

What does arched-eyebrow mean anyway? I tried to google it, all I got were some very useful grooming tips. Does it mean that the person is in disbelief? Horror? A state of giddy OMG? Help me out someone.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

63. smiler2729 says:

Los Angeles Kings, Stanley Cup champions.
    Sounds fitting.

• habsfan0 says:

I can’t stand the Flyers,but in a way,it would be nice to see a Final between Los Angeles and Philadelphia,given their recent history.

THe story lines would be great.

• smiler2729 says:

True but the Flyers won’t overcome Claude Giroux vanishing, Chris Pronger concussing and the Space Cadet in his blue paint orbit floating away…

64. LNev says:

Anyone watch the Knights/Icedogs game last night?

A few things stood out for me:

1) There were a couple really good players available when Toronto should have been picking. D Hamilton and J Knight are both really sharp looking players. So, too bad that they are Bruins, but at least I can mock the Leaf fans about them…

2) Unless Tinordi miraculously improves by leaps and bounds, he will not be in Montreal next season.

• commandant says:

Tinordi is good at the OHL level, but I agree he’s not NHL ready.

Big Defenceman like him typically need time, so we need to be patient with him.

• LNev says:

I thought he looked a little shaky at the OHL level last night even.

I’m not in favour of rushing him to the NHL anyways, I know some here have him penciled into the line up already. He needs a year or two in Hamilton. Oleksiak has a similar frame and style of play, but looks much more complete.

Maybe it was game one jitters or just an off night, and I’ve only seen 4 or 5 games of his this year, but more often then not he didn’t make an impression on me.
        Last night I thought he got caught on the wrong side of the puck a lot and took too long to make his decisions (which was usually chip it out).
        In fairness, it was a pretty sloppy game all around.

He uses his size too make up for lack of foot speed/agility.
        Hal Gill v2? Maybe. Nothing wrong with a thousand game career.

• Strummer says:

Hal Gill was an elite athlete- wasn’t he a QB in college?

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

65. RGM says:

Happy Star Wars Day everybody! May the Fourth be with you!

———————–
    GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

66. Habfan10912 says:

Happy Birthday to Dave Stubbs. Thanks for all your efforts on behalf of us sports crazed fans. A great writer should have a great day! Cheers!

———————————–

67. Rossy says:

Dominique Ducharme of the Halifax Mooseheads is going to make a great NHL coach some day. It’s too soon for him to jump to the Habs (just as it’s too soon for the Habs to draft Nathan MacKinnon) but if the Habs could get both, they’d be set a la the Pollock-Bowman era of greatness.

68. Old Bald Bird says:

From Twitter messages it seems to be Stubbs’ birthday. Congratulaions, Dave.

69. Strummer says:

For Marc Bergeron the Merry Prankster he is a partial list of tasks when dsipatching Gomez:

Pie- in – the -face

Atomic wedgie

Send 100 pizzas to his house

Prank phone call from the Quebec DJ’s pretending they are Obama asking him to report to Team USA

70. Gumper Knows Best says:

Love the hire of MB. He is one of only a few that can tell Patrick Roy >NO< and get away with it and won't be crucified. And those that think a great player makes a good NHL Pro coach, not a person coaching 16-19 year old teenie boppers, look no further than Maurice Richard and the recent Wayne Gretzky fiasco in Phoenix.

• ABHabsfan says:

EXACTLY

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Habsrule1 says:

Every person is different. Gretzky had no experience whatsoever…kinda like Tremblay here. Dale Hunter seems to be doing ok, but you can’t just say Gretzky sucked so Roy will suck. They are 2 different people. There is no way to know if Roy can coach in the NHL until he tries. I personally think he could be good at it. He would have the respect of the players and he has won wherever he has gone.
      I’m sure he will be considered and if MB does as good a job of choosing a coach as Molson & avard seem to have done hiring him, he will hire Roy if he believes he is the right man for the job.
      Besides Vigneault, I’m not sure who can do the job here (and I’m not even sure about him).

• JF says:

I think Roy will probably be a good NHL coach one day, but coaching your own junior team is very different from coaching an NHL team; and coaching highly-paid professionals is not the same as coaching kids who will do anything to make the NHL. The Habs should let Roy learn with another team, perhaps Colorado, before considering him.

• Habfan10912 says:

JF, do you think he would have a clearer path if he spent a spell in the AHL? I’m thinking he very well may be a good coach but right now he probably is to risky for MB to hire.

———————————–

• JF says:

I agree. The usual path to being an NHL coach is through the AHL. I think Dale Hunter is the only one to come straight out of Junior, and he has struggled all season with the Caps. His team is doing OK now, but there will be a lot of question marks going forward.

As for the Habs, I don’t want to see a repeat of the scenario we’ve seen several times over the last couple of decades: we hire a rookie coach, who learns a lot but achieves only moderate success; he is fired after a couple of seasons, then goes on to be a very good coach elsewhere. I also think that with a rookie GM, a coach with some NHL experience would be a safer bet. Carbonneau is top of my list (or Vigneault, if he becomes available).

• Gumper Knows Best says:

You mention that Roy would have the respect of the players-and that may be so, yet respect is usually earned and as stated today’s pro hockey millionaires are not some wide eyed teenagers that won’t question authority.
        It would have been great if Roy coached a year in Hamilton or accepted a position of Assistant in the NHL even for the shortest period of time.

Having read about him taking over Quebec and coaching for the first time, he admitted he was learning on the fly. Maybe you can get away with that in Junior, but not the NHL

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree to an extent. I’d prefer to see him coach Hamilton too, but nobody can say for sure that he would be a bad NHL coach today. Perhaps he actually can make the jump because he is that good of a coach. Nobody is disputing that coaching NHL players is more difficult than coaching kids (in some ways). It can also be said that some things that kids might ignore just cause they’re kids, more mature people would understand and do, and do better than kids would.
          The only way to have a real idea if he s ready is to have him speak and tell you what his plans are. Perhaps they can hire an experienced former coach as a consultant to sit down and interview Roy with them…?

• Gumper Knows Best says:

As for Dale Hunter, he doesn’t need Washington and signed for only 1 year. He has his money printing machine back in London so he can do exactly what he wants with few repercussions as to his future.
        By the way, I did not say Roy would suck because Gretzky did. I mentioned few great former NHL players make great head coaches (Lemaire one of the exceptions) and there is a difference between Junior and NHL.

• Old Bald Bird says:

My feeling is that for the most part, great players do not make good coaches. They have a talent level that allows them to do more than the average guy, so they find it difficult to coach average guys. Lesser lights often study the game more closely on order to maximize their assets. Guys can understand the game really well and know what it takes to play well even if they have not achieved much at the highest levels. None of Peter DeBoer, John Tortorella and Claude Julien made it to the NHL, for example, and Alain Vigneault barely had time for a cup of coffee. They’ve all done pretty well.

But Roy being a goalie is perhaps a different case, and he has proven something as a coach. That doesn’t mean that I am in favour. Just sayin.

• Habsrule1 says:

Didn’t Julien play in the NHL?
        I think who makes a good coach has nothing to do with what they did previously. Only certain people make good coaches, just like most other jobs really.

71. Habfan10912 says:

Does Trots play the party boys?

———————————–

72. Shane1313 says:

Is the U.S game being televised in mtl?

So Max Pac has goal and assist thru 2 periods for Team USA against Huet and the rest of the France squad.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning. Forgot the game was televised on NBCSPORTS in the US. Instead, I came into the office early. I am not getting any smarter in my old age.
      BTW, do you think we’ll hear about some coaching interviews today?

———————————–

Good Morning Jim, will be interesting when we start hearing about the coaching interviews. Seems to me the Roy rumours are dying down.

Have a good day sir.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I just heard on the Team 990 that Le Journal De Montreal has a poll today where the 400 people polled voted 54% in favor or Roy coaching the Habs :-).

haha, okay the rumours are dying down in Burlington, ON then. Thanks Hobie :)

• ABHabsfan says:

Thought it would be higher given the sample demographic. How many voted for Rene Levesque as the next coach?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
            Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• boing007 says:

They vote with their hearts, not with their heads.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• topher5468 says:

I guess Gomez did not get an invite to join USA, but he could offer all that leadership. I guess he will stay in the gym like last off season so he can offer all that leadership to the team next season.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Topher. This morning I committed myself from posting or commenting on any McDonagh or Gomez matters. As much as I would love to offer support and add to your post I must honour my commitment. I can still think it though. :)

———————————–

• secretdragonfly says:

I sincerely hope Canada doesn’t meet the US in the finals – I will be extremely conflicted :)

74. topher5468 says:

Pretty goal by Max Pacioretty at the Worlds, It’s nice knowing he’s a Canadien,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”