Development camp begins Tuesday

Should we be worried that the official release misspells the name of the prospect they got from St. Louis for Jaro Halak?

The Montreal Canadiens announced today that 23 prospects will participate in a development camp, set to take place from July 6-9, at the Bell Sports Complex, in Brossard.

The list of participating players includes all five players selected at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft held last June 25-26 in Los Angeles, several players under contract by the organization, as well as players invited as try-outs. A first development camp took place from June 1-5 at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard.

All players will first take to the ice on Tuesday, July 6, from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. The development camp consists of two on-ice sessions daily until July 9 on both Bell Sports Complex ice surfaces (between 8:45 a.m. and 12 p.m. and between 3 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.). Daily off-ice conditioning sessions are also scheduled.

Ten of the 23 players at camp are Canadiens draft selections, including 2010 NHL Entry Draft first-round selection, Jarred Tinordi. Recently acquired from St. Louis, forwards Lars Leller and Ian Schultz will also be participating, as well as defenceman P.K. Subban and forward Alexander Avtsin.

Here’s the list of those attending:

1. Puck Bard says:

Nice.

I would far prefer gambling on Carey’s full potential then shipping him off to the West. I wanna see how that kid plays out in a Habs uniform! Good or bad, I wanna see it.

2. HabFab says:

MONEY TALKS UPDATED

Still
    have $4,391,000 left to sign Price & Lapierre plus now have room to
    maneuver for call ups or minor upgrade.

using nhlnumbers.com and substituting PK for MacPac
    we have $8,168,000 Cap left

- still need at least 4
    forwards and 2 goaltenders

- put in already signed Ellers
    ($1.271) and White ($.85) leaving $6,041,000

- leaves around $2 ml
    for Lapierre and Boyd

- Moore or Pacioretty ($.875) maybe
    substituted for one of the 4 forwards if money is right

- leaves
    $4 ml for Price and a veteran backup

- expect Price doesn’t get
    signed until others done

- this leaves ZERO for injury call ups
    unless the player is LTIR

3. Bill J says:

+10 for “Tiny”, mind if I use that ?

4. Puck Bard says:

Right, Friday night… bored. Nothing doing in hockey world, girlfriend’s working late. I can:

a.   Catch with Glee on Hulu

b.   Shock the monkey

c.   Apply deep-hurting to the Tone-anator

C please.

5. Bill J says:

I find it helps to enjoy the experience here, being balanced.  No
    problem with people who are being critical of the team, but if you can
    not balance it when some positives you just end up hating the team…

I
    always wonder when some select few posters who limit their thoughts to
    negatives, are truly Habs Fans…

Before the first person to reply
    “It’s because I love the team that I “critique” them so harshly!”… I
    fully disagree!

You can disagree with decisions made by
    Management…  It does not make them imbeciles if they do something you
    do not understand.  They clearly are much more aware of what the
    potential of the players then we can ever dream to know.  If you
    honestly believe you are more in tune with the players, and you are not a
    direct relative to one of the players… Get off the PS3/Xbox/Wii,
    that’s NOT real life!

You can think Carey Price may not be as
    promising as is being “sold” by management, but again I refer to my
    point above…. Management, and Hockey executives around the league are
    well aware of Price’s potential, THEY see the full picture,
    unlike some people who would write off a 22 year old kid.

Carey had some issues in his first 3 years, issues I believe he has
    worked on.  So much so that PG felt confident in trading Jaro.

Instead
    of crucifying him, perhaps we can at least wish him the best, and
    freaking support him.  HE IS A HAB AFTER ALL!!!

6. Bill J says:

I think you implied critique, when you referred to the “presumably” high amount of “told-ya-so’ers”

If I misread you I apologize in advance…

7. ZepFan2 says:

You really have to ask why people are bashing you? Get real!

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    - Sam Pollock

8. ed lopaz says:

not sure what you mean. who’s opinion am I criticizing – all I said to SF09, who I respect, was that 100+ points seems very ambitious and I am questioning whether that’s where the so called “experts” have the Habs finishing.

I am not trying to criticize.

9. ZepFan2 says:

That’s exactly what he said.

Now he’s ducking it.

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    - Sam Pollock

10. c.robillard says:

We’re bashing your insatiable lust for repetitiveness.

11. c.robillard says:

I believe he said that Jean Beliveau had a better chance of signing with the habs this season. What a clown.

12. Chuck says:

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

no Tiny, you have it all wrong, we’re bashing you because you’re the HIO equivalent of Bobby Clarke

14. ZepFan2 says:

Aren’t you the one that said Boyd would NEVER sign here?!

LMAO

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    - Sam Pollock

He’s been working on that one since last summer’s development camp and waiting for this season’s to say that no-liner.

16. Bill J says:

Ed no offense intended, but if you wrote you “risk assessment” with the sole purpose of getting people worked up, what good does that serve anyone ?

Then you basically criticize posters who counter  your opinion…

You ask for people’s opinions here, you had better be ready to have a few people disagree.  ;)

Refute what? Everyone here knows the Habs had 88 points and were 19th over-all. You’re the one who runs away when the going gets tough. You said Boyd would never get signed by the Habs. I don’t hear any mea culpas coming from on that one and we won’t. It takes a man to admit when he’s wrong and it takes a man to have respect for others. You are no man Tony. You’re a chick on the rag.

18. Bob Barker says:

Tanguay at 1.6 and Jokinen at 3 million is not a bad move considering Calgary’s severe lack of offense. If Backlund can play with Iginla and Bourque then their top six is no longer terrible.

I can see both players having bounce-back seasons.

It’s funny how the media is ripping the Jokinen signing as if he’s a garbage player. I can easily see him putting up 55+ points this year.

19. Puck Bard says:

Been workin’ on that one all night?

20. Puck Bard says:

I’m anxiously awaiting the poster who wouldn’t take that deal.

(Ugh! Me-bored-too)

21. Habs4ever Fan says:

Sure hope that Carey Price shows up at Development camp

22. Puck Bard says:

Really? That was Ed’s question?

*ignore*

23. Puck Bard says:

I don’t doubt Saku’s class, Serious… he’s a Primo-guy, and one of my favorites. The day they announced he had cancer hit me in the solar-plexus just like you.

24. luca says:

Prediction lol im just bored as heck right now, AK 46 to Philly for Simon Gagne ya or no

25. SeriousFan09 says:

No one says “This team is garbage and we don’t have a hope in hell of winning.”

Saku always defended the roster in MTL as it stood I should point out. Players always defend their team and the leaders of a team especially will never say their team doesn’t have a chance to win. Koivu ever say any roster of the Canadiens he played with was total ****? No, he wouldn’t, he’s a classy guy and wouldn’t do that no matter how frustrated he might have been. Jarome Iginla has never raised a word of protest that Darryl Sutter is descending into madness out in CGY either.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

26. likehoy says:

i like gagne…but he’s broken goods…carter on the other hand would be a sweet deal.

too bad we don’t have cap space or an abundance of assets.

27. Puck Bard says:

Risk Assessment: I get it tough guy, you didn’t invent business administration.

28. Puck Bard says:

Why did you bring that up? I suffer from insomnia and now I’m… Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

29. ed lopaz says:

?? I’m trying to see where the potential problems might be going into next year. my mind is not made up.

in business, we refer to this as analysing the “risks”.

30. Puck Bard says:

I fear Suku’s brain is turning to LA mush… like many that have gone before him out there.

31. Puck Bard says:

I saw it. I chose to ignore it.

Why are you asking these questions when you’ve already made up your mind?

32. Bob Barker says:

both players have lethal shots, I’m sure either one could play their off-wing. Both Kovalchuk and Ovechkin are right-hand shots but play LW because they like coming up their off-wing to shoot.

33. ed lopaz says:

so you’re looking for the Habs to finish + 100 points next season, if all goes well. It will be interesting to read how many so called “experts” will be in agreement with you.

34. ari says:

Is there anything new?

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Well if more than 1 Top 6 forward plays 82 games, I think we can have a significant improvement in offensive ability. I would add that AK has his lost his distraction, Pouliot will have better conditioning and Eller has been added to the roster. I also expect a better season from former 15-goal Max Lapierre. That and P.K. Subban will be around to help carry blueline offence.

With a more healthy forward group, the team will also less likely be dominated so often by having better scoring and more capable forwards capable of directing the game in MTL’s favour. Markov being around for most of next year, if not all of it if he rehabs at his usual accelerated rate and Subban to control the defence means the puck is cleared more often and better dominance in MTL’s end. The leadership core is set, the forwards healthy more often and two top defencemen for a full season and I would say a 12 point improvement would be a good starting place, if not better.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. ed lopaz says:

thanks for posting on both threads.

I guess you figure its all good.

37. c.robillard says:

If if’s and buts

Were candy and nuts

Then everyday

Would be untedunkfest.

38. nightmare_49 says:

Kaberle Talk

Brian Burke mentioned earlier today that the Tomas Kaberle talks have been shutdown for the long USA Holiday weekend.

Plus, I heard Darren Dreger on 640am in Toronto earlier today and he said the whispers continue of Tampa being interested in Kaberle and the name Ryan Malone has been brought up.

Just something to think about over the weekend.

39. ed lopaz says:

(i just posted this on a thread below, but i don’t think there;s anyone there)

I have read a few articles about the Habs’ run this past season – and most of them conclude that if certain

issues are not addressed, Habs fans should be concerned.

I will not discuss the goaltending issue.

1) Habs were 30th overall – that’s last – in 5 on 5 scoring;

what does that stat mean to you?

How does that get corrected?

Have the Habs already corrected it since the season ended?

2) Habs are not big / strong enough up front, they are missing the “big” body, power forward types, who put  alot of pressure on the other teams D-men, and keep the other team pinned in their zone with an effective forecheck

Has that been corrected?

3) Habs are constantly out shot; 40+ shots, 30-40 blocks, night after night

Has that been corrected?

4) Jacques Martin – how many of you were calling for his head all season long – he’s a dinosaur according to

many, he ruined our youth according to many, he plays a terrible style of hockey which does not forecheck

sits back to protect the lead

Has that been corrected?

The habs were 1 game away from NOT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS

The habs were 1 game away from being eliminated by washington in 5 games

Would we all be so happy about the state of the team had:

a) we not squeaked into the playoffs

b) we been eliminated in 5 games by washington.

I know that hockey analysts are asking these questions, maybe we, as Habs fans, should be asking them as well?

40. sidhu says:

The problem is that Gagne is a left shot, and a LW.  Perhaps Cammy can move to the right side?

41. Malreg says:

I remember reading that prospects from NCAA aren’t allowed to attend professional development camps unless they pay for everything themselves.  Might not be exactly right, but I remember hearing that last year.  If they already attended the earlier camp this year, that is probably why they aren’t at this camp.

42. Bob Barker says:

The habs should definitely try to pick up gagne. Need to get creative with the cap space but he’d be great to have in our top six.

43. SeriousFan09 says:

The Habs held two development camps this summer, Kristo and Leblanc attended a camp held last month.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

44. camel_larry says:

No Kristo?

45. nightmare_49 says:

James Mirtle tweets via Broad Street Hockey

Why the Flyers might trade Simon Gagne http://sbnation.com/e/1312457

46. GuyDoon says:

I’ve read so many news articles lately that I can’t remember where I read it, but it said Stevie Y wanted Gagne.

And I must have looked over that press release above a dozen times and only now do I realize it says Lars Leller.

47. GuyDoon says:

Except he calls himself Tony Riddle.

48. nightmare_49 says:

Doug McLain tweets

According to a Flyer source Gagne has played his last game as a Flyer.

49. sidhu says:

Phew…. <re-emerging from homemade bomb shelter>

50. sidhu says:

If Columbus is seeking help on D, how about going after RJ “the Caps don’t play the right way” Umberger?  He’s pretty aggressive, plays a two-way game, has offensive abilities…. Plus he’s killed us in years past.

51. crabvader says:

There was on the previous thread, lol.

52. sidhu says:

There’s a Brisebois on the roster and no “Full Breezer” comments yet?  I’m scared….

53. HabFanSince72 says:

Goal-starved = euphemism for “crap”.

54. Mattee. says:

Voldemort posts here? :)

55. nightmare_49 says:

Pierre LeBrun tweets

Hearing the Lafs are kicking the tires on Afinogenov;had a nice year this past season in Atl (24 goals). Toronto goal-starved; is it a fit?

56. Puck Bard says:

Agree. It’s the fact that Sutter picked him up. Olie can be nasty a opponent.

57. GuyDoon says:

Here punkster, I edited your post for your own safety:

Do you all think that maybe, possibly, we could not respond to any single one of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named‘s comments for the rest of the next 24 hours? Imagine, not one response, no matter how outlandish his post may seem.

I know it’s a radical concept here on HI/O. Let’s just see what that’s like shall we?

Your welcome ;)

58. Ayan_SB says:

I’m very excited to see what Alex Avtsin can do in the development camp. If this kid wants to play in the AHL, the Habs will have a solid future with Eller – Kristo, Leblanc – Avtsin, and Tinordi – Subban.

59. Jeff says:

I tend to ignore posts of no consequence.  There are some replies on the blog below Ed.

60. habs001 says:

dont forget metro had 17 goals that needs to be replaced

61. punkster says:

Do you all think that maybe, possibly, we could not respond to any single one of Tony’s comments for the rest of the next 24 hours? Imagine, not one response, no matter how outlandish his post may seem.

FREE TIMO!

62. Omit says:

I’m not over reacting at all.  I will stand by my last sentence.  There are other expressions more suitable than this one.  But they are not catchy and cool.

63. Puck Bard says:

Thanks for showin’ up, Johnny-One-Note.

64. Puck Bard says:

Patience Jackass, patience.

65. Bill J says:

LMFAO!

I had to re-read his post twice, because I could not believe what he was saying.

Good call on the “bookmarking” of the post… This one is a classic.

66. adam76 says:

It would show he is committed to turning around his career.

The only reason I am responding to this post is so that it may remain frozen in time.

68. Clay4bc says:

No…I am saying you are over reacting to the situation. Jonestown was terrible, no doubt about it. We should learn from it. Encouraging people to not drink the kool-aid is akin to telling people not to be sheep and blindly follow a charismatic leader. That is the lesson from Jonestown, and it is spelled out in this expression.

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Denis Diderot

69. likehoy says:

how woudl you figure price is worth carter?

Hey, Mike, no need to worry.  Under the rules of the new CBA we only have to truly worry about guys that we have signed who are over 35.  We can always buy you out or send you to Hamilton (which is sightly worse than going to Slowville).  Cheers!

71. jimmy shaker says:

updated cap situation please and money available for signing guys!

Shaker

72. saskhabfan says:

Maybe Pat should sit down if he’s been standing for so long? Pat must be getting tired if he’s been standing for 2 days. Or at least sit down 47% of the time to conserve energy.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

73. Omit says:

The people who use this phrase are ignorant of the facts.  That doesn’t make it okay to use it.

And if you want to justify something by saying millions of people do it, well, I guess you can justify anything. Is that what you’re saying?

74. Clay4bc says:

Well, we will see about scoring. But I have to agree that subtracting Bergeron and adding PK is better for team defence in the long run, but it also subtracts a lot of goals from defencemen. Can PK pick up the slack scoring – I hope so. But I don’t think in his rookie season PK will score more than (or even as many as) MAB.

As for bigger…we need to get bigger on our top 2 lines, not the 4th…

Also, don’t expect too much from PK…expectations tend to get too high here, and we need to remember he is a rookie. He was somewhat overwhelmed in the Flyers series after playing great against the Pens, and still has a ways to go.

__________________________

Development camp begins Tuesday

Well, how did you spend the off-season?

The team anouncement:

The Montreal Canadiens announced today that 22 prospects will participate in the first of two development camps, set to take place from June 1-5, at the Bell Sports Complex, in Brossard.

The list of participating players includes several players drafted by the organization, as well as players invited as try-outs.

A second development camp, to include players to be selected at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft held on June 25-26 in Los Angeles, will take place from July 6-9, also at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard. The first edition of the Canadiens development camp was presented in 2001.

The Canadiens prospects will first take to the ice on Tuesday, June 1, from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. The development camp consists of two on-ice sessions daily until June 5 on both ice surfaces at the Bell Sports Complex (9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 3:15 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.). Off-ice conditioning sessions are also scheduled each day.

1. ProHabs says:

Agree, I am hoping they all become stars for the Habs.

2. ABHabsfan says:

One name I remember from the WJHC last year was Nattinen, finnish centre. He was virtually unbeatable on fsce-offs. Man, could the Habs ever use that. Looks like he is tall, but not much beef, yet.

That guy from FLA has got some size though. 6’5″, 230lbs damn! Where do I get a Myles Harvey jersey? Maybe just “Harvey” with #2 on it?

3. crabvader says:

The best thing about the future: You never know what’s going to happen.

4. ProHabs says:

Just being realistic. Out of all of those guys, we will be lucky if Max Pacioretty and Alexander Avtsin develop into full time solid NHL’s and one of Joonas Nattinen or Andreas Engqvist make it as well. The rest are not really highly regarded NHL prospects.

5. crabvader says:

Just proving a lot of them aren’t lacking in size.

But hey, great outlook you got there, bud.

6. ProHabs says:

And I am sure most of them will have semi-successful AHL careers.

7. crabvader says:

List of youngsters 6’2 and over:

Petteri Simila, Joonas Nattinen, Alexander Avtsin, Andreas Engqvist, Steve Quailer, Dustin Walsh, Joe Stejskal, David Fischer, Jason Missiaen, Andrew Conboy, Max Pacioretty, Greg Stewart, J.T Wyman.

I mean they may not all turn out to be great or even good… but I mean… Come on dude, enough with the unfounded pessimism.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

Most of the bigger players are signed or are just not suited for higher levels of competition, there’s a reason the tryout cases are smaller players, they not less likely to be drafted even if they’re more skilled than the bigger players. Besides, there’s going to be a second camp with more invitees anyway, likely  with 2010 candidates who went undrafted.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. Cookies says:

Well looky here, another find from Alaska! ahahha nicee!

10. StevieRay says:

Giant Tiger !!!!

11. Exit716 says:

I bought a vintage Koivu T-shirt for the playoff run at Giant Tiger. Reebok official as well. It was only $9.97. They had tons of Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay and Komisarek ones in stock as well as the all star stuff. Hilarious. Bought the official CCM Blackhawks cap there too for a whopping $3.97. Great place to shop for sports merchandise if you aren’t worried about following the latest trends and don’t want to pay through the nose for it. Lots of NCAA stuff and NFL stuff for under $20.

12. StevieRay says:

Same old story……no size…except for the kid from orlando …ORLANDO ???? ain’t that Florida !!

HIO welcome back …. I was going thru withdrawal !!!

Habs Inside Out Summit Charity Game

Ian Cobb’s blog

14. crabvader says:

Blah, didn’t see the roster.

15. RH says:

I was in Montreal visiting family last weekend and, I have to say that I found it a lot easier to take those two loses, knowing that I was amongst millions of fans, than it would have been had I been back here in the GTA.

I also managed to grab myself a PK Subban t-shirt while there. In the 30+ odd years that I’ve been following the Habs, I can honestly say that I have never had any sweater/jersey/ paraphanelia with a Habs players name on it. So, Subban BETTER not have made me waste my money:). Seriously though, why is it that when I bought my Urlacher jersey in 2002, it only cost my $100 but, I can’t buy any NHL sweater with a name on it, without having to refinance my mortgage?

Philly in 7……just because.

16. Bill J says:

You just like to argue right ?

Because & I quote You

What does his athletic skill as a hockey player have to do with being a
    GM?

I provide you an answer that clearly separates Tallon from Gainey and you come back with this ?

Man get over yourself, your ALONE in this thinking, and you will be hard pressed to convince many that your hatred for Gainey is warranted.

17. pmaraw says:

would probably be fact.  yet it is not fact, its an assumption.  you are just assuming

18. G-Man says:

Sorry, but Koivu’s era was a divided dressing room with no heart. I was so glad when they finally let him walk. He should have been let go 4 seasons earlier.

19. Tis Himself says:

I was talking about the “leadership” of the 08-09 team. I didn’t mean to be obscure.

20. Psycho29 says:

You mean GM Gainey who has a cup as GM and built this Habs team that went to the Conference Finals?

21. Bill J says:

Oh I don’t know – why not talk about the reality of him building a Cup winner in Dallas as the GM.

Does that not give him credibility ?

Sheesh – man, at least research &/or think before you talk about Bob Gainey, he deserves that much respect…

IF still you choose to want to dump on him, fine.  Just be more informed prior to posting about it, he deserves that much!

22. Bill H says:

Yes, I would take the $30M over 6 seasons.  But I don’t think he will get an offer like that.  He has yet to show he has any stomach for the playoffs.  Even in the Olympics, he went 7GP with 0G and 1A.  He may well sign elsewhere for more money than the Canadiens can spend.  He will get offers and would be a valued signing with many teams, but his value is limited by this.  There are a lot of variables too.  If the Canadiens unload Hamrlik, then they obviously have more cash to offer Pleks.  But hey, I don’t claim to have a crystal ball.  You might be right Ed.

23. TomNickle says:

I’m sorry but Saku belonged in that group.

What has he done to set him apart where we should have said.  They need to build a team around HIM.

Nothing.

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Anaheim not making the playoffs didn’t have anything to do with Koivu and his “A”, it had to do with a team that had fallen apart quickly after the 2007 Cup, the Pronger trade, the departure of Penner, constant injury of Selanne, Koivu missed time and the declining ability of Scott Niedermayer. Hiller and Giguere each had pretty poor seasons as well for the most part. I also remember how the Canadiens had a hard time getting together at first because the old leadership had gone missing and that leadership just came together really in the playoffs as well.

And if Anaheim was an Eastern team, they’d have been in and we’d have
    been out btw.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

Koivu I think wasn’t able to lead the team as he once had, being captain of the Canadiens for such a long time can really wear on a player especially when it was basically falling to just him to lead the team. He still inspired efforts here and there, but he wasn’t able to lead them like he used to. Towards the end of his time, the burden of leadership was notable, injuries piled up and it made it harder for him to lift the team and lead by example.

I don’t think he was on the class of Jean Beliveau, but in my time watching the Canadiens, I never saw anyone give everything he had for the team like Saku did.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

26. chilli says:

“Gainey sent virtually all the leadership in the room packing”…ahhh, I’m sorry, have you already forgotten that we were one of 3 teams still standing a few days ago having just come off the best playoff performance in 17 years? Based mainly on the leadership of Gill, Gomez, Gio and Camalleri! Wake up man. All that “leadership” in Anaheim and they couldn’t even make the playoffs.

27. ed lopaz says:

if you were plekanec, would you take a discount, or would you take the 30 million for 6 years that some idiot offers you??

28. ed lopaz says:

including the last 5 years when uncle bob was everyone’s favorite GM, right?

29. Tis Himself says:

I agree with you both on many of the positive points that you make about Koivu as well as the fact that the management of the team and the roster bit the root for most of his tenure. I do not, however, believe that he is above all criticism. When Gainey decided to remake the team last off season, he sent virtually all of the leadership in the room packing. The only A to remain was Markov. I think it’s fair to say that Koivu undoubtedly played a role in the Centennial-season debacle.

30. Bill H says:

REgarding Pleks, I think management would like to keep him, but it depends on what his plans are.  Sure, if he takes a discount, he’ll stay.  But with our cap space, we can only offer him so much.  And remember, with Quebec taxes, a matching offer to the player is like offering a discount.  Anything less than a matching offer is really asking a lot of the player.

As for the goalies, I think it is Price that will want out if we sign Halak.  Halak has the number one job nailed down, at least to start.  Anywhere he goes, there will be a backup who wants his job.

31. PeterStone says:

David Backes is one of the up n coming power forwards in this league.  The Canucks thought so highly of him, they tendered an offer sheet to him.  Plus, he is UFA at seasons end.  Hamrlik’s is overpaid , and that contract will end up being the reason no one wants him.  AK is an enigma wrapped around a riddle, and SK hasnt demonstrated any real interest in playing hockey professionally … i doubt the Blues make that move

As for the Florida move, I dont see why we do it.  Horton is the enigma that AK is …  i can actually see Florida moving Horton and pick for Halak.  Gives them options in regards to Vokoun as well.

I thought for sure hamrlik wouldnt be back next season, but, someone made a great point … Markov is going to miss the first 3 months of the season next year, so, his $$ will be off the books, and Hamrlik is the obvious replacement ( since he has that experience ) for Markov.  So, I am going to assume we suffer through another year of Roman Hamrlik nailing our goalies.  Although I have to say, I pray we dont have to.

I do agree with you tho .. trade a goalie .. reach out for a backup like Theodore or Biron as a UFA .. who you will sign for 1M$ tops.  Try to toughen up with Boogard for a 2 year deal ( similiar to JTootoo’s ) … DMoore if affordable, please sign him, or EBelanger from the Caps for a 2 yr 1M$ per contract.  If you can swing a deal for all or any of SK, AK, RH , then thank you.

32. crabvader says:

He’s pretty much the only man who kept this team afloat instead of having it sink into Islander-esque oblivion.

And on another note, I would let go of Pleks and take back Koivu in a heartbeat. He would show up come playoff time.

33. crabvader says:

I’m not dwelling. I’m pointing out something that would probably be fact.

Also, how is it Koivu’s fault if those years were bad? Or better yet, why label it the Koivu era?

We went through bad GM after bad GM and bad coach after bad coach…

Despite all that, Koivu put up more than respectable numbers for us and did a buttload for our community when he isn’t even from here.

If anything, it should be called the Rejean Houle era because HE screwed us for a long time, not Koivu.

34. SeriousFan09 says:

Yeah, all the prime years of his career playing with a hack roster, that really gave him a lot of opportunities to lift Montreal to a Cup. Everyone bemoans the last 15 years of the Habs, then drops it all on the head of one man who wore the CH on his heart when the team was a joke for most of his career.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

35. Tis Himself says:

It’s time to move on. The Koivu era with few exceptions was just one long disappointment.

36. B says:

Craig Adams, who won a cup, is not a better player than Gilbert Perreault or Marcel Dionne because they did not win a cup.

37. Bill J says:

OK I read & re-read this post, still trying to figure out from which left field you are coming from…

What does his playing days draft pick position have to do with his ability to be a GM ?

38. ProHabs says:

I was referring to the list of players that Crabvader mentioned above there Tuts. So before you add your 2 cents worth, read over the conversation first.

39. Bill H says:

Pleks $4-$4.5M over 3 or 4 years.  I don’t think he will sign for less than that, and he will certainly be offered that much. His value comes down due to his lack of production in playoffs.  This is cancelled out because he is so good at defence and on PK.

Halak $3.25-$3.75M over 3 years.  He’s still RFA and only has one good year under his belt.

Price His current salary is $0.85M but his cap hit is $2.2M, so I guess the difference is what he could make in bonuses.  I think it will take $2.5M for 2 years to sign him because he should be able to get on offer out of someone for that much just based on his “potential”.  Also, after the rough ride he has had in Montreal, plus the competition from Halak (unless Halak is traded or not signed), he’d be just as happy to play somewhere else.

40. crabvader says:

Can’t help but think that Saku would’ve been a HUGE positive influence on young Joonas Nattinen and definitely would’ve helped his centerman skills.

41. Bill J says:

I gota say all things considered …

This post + your signature made me have a good little giggle…. ;) :P

42. mrstewart61 says:

oops…

———————————————————————————————————————- If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

43. Mikey_39 says:

I’m pretty excited to see what the habs to this off-season, but I’m not sure I’m happy that it’ll be Pierre Gauthier taking decisions that could very well affect our future for years to come.  I just don’t see the guy being our GM for long, so doesn’t it seem dumb to have a guy that won’t be our GM, making huge decisions like how to handle the plekanec situation, which goaltender to move forward with….like i said HUGE decisions

I think it’s a mistake to let Plecky go.  First, he grew up in the organization, which is awesome.  He finished with 70 points…keep in mind that in the beginning season, he was doing the work alone.  He didn’t have stable wingers.  Also, is there a more defensive-forward that puts up numbers like that? He plays huge minutes on the pk, shutting down the NHLs best.  I really think you have to keep this guy and I hope he would show some will to play here by taking a home-town discount

The goalie debate…Chose one, and go with it. I don’t think you have a choice.  Bring in a veteran backup to help with Halak or Price’s development.  I can’t see Halak signing in Montreal if Price is here. Why would he take the chance losing his number one spot?  This is his chance to be a team’S true number one, and unless the Habs show their willing to go with him 100%, i think he won’t sign.  I love Halak and hope he stays, but if we keep Price, I know he has a lot of potential and won’t be too p.o.

Sign Moore (if he’s willing to accept less than a mil), Lapierre, and Pouliot

As for Hamerlik, I know a lot of peeps want him gone.  If we could get a good deal, sure.  But having him in the line-up isn’t horrible.  He’s a great mentor, and is still capable of playing well.

44. B says:

Do you really think all NHL players have the same odds of winning the cup each season? I don’t think it is a random statistical event like rolling dice or flipping a coin.

45. SeriousFan09 says:

Tell us, who really killed Kennedy? The Illuminati or the Marshmellow men?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

46. Bill J says:

UGH! your back on this rant again eh ?

Difference between Tallon & BG ?

1) Tallon was relieved of his duties.

2) BG Stepped down because of personal reasons, he is not about to GM another team.

47. Storm Man says:

No agent would go for that deal a pay decease, at best he makes the same money over 2 years with bonuses for games played, wins, ect.

48. B says:

Why? Krejci is also on his 2nd contract signed as an RFA and Sharp is on a contract extension signed over two years ago. I don’t think it is very relevant to compare those contracts to what Plekanec should or might get as a UFA this summer. Anyways, my original point was simply that you had the wrong salary/cap number for Bergeron.

49. puck face says:

love Horton , pretty sure florida loves him too. don’t know if Price is the type to need a mentor , seems to want to do things his way. also being a veteran doesn’t automatically make you a good mentor, Hamrlik’s contract is a bitch……maybe try to unload it on e-bay?

50. Bill J says:

I think Price could be kept for a pay decrease (maybe just for a 1-2 year contract) actually.

but not enough to be able to help pay Jaro’s upcoming major pay increase though.

Price for 1 – 1.5 Million for 1-2 seasons .. ?

51. HFX-HabFan says:

Somebody didn’t read closely enough…