Development camp begins Tuesday

Should we be worried that the official release misspells the name of the prospect they got from St. Louis for Jaro Halak?

The Montreal Canadiens announced today that 23 prospects will participate in a development camp, set to take place from July 6-9, at the Bell Sports Complex, in Brossard.

The list of participating players includes all five players selected at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft held last June 25-26 in Los Angeles, several players under contract by the organization, as well as players invited as try-outs. A first development camp took place from June 1-5 at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard.

All players will first take to the ice on Tuesday, July 6, from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. The development camp consists of two on-ice sessions daily until July 9 on both Bell Sports Complex ice surfaces (between 8:45 a.m. and 12 p.m. and between 3 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.). Daily off-ice conditioning sessions are also scheduled.

Ten of the 23 players at camp are Canadiens draft selections, including 2010 NHL Entry Draft first-round selection, Jarred Tinordi. Recently acquired from St. Louis, forwards Lars Leller and Ian Schultz will also be participating, as well as defenceman P.K. Subban and forward Alexander Avtsin.

Here’s the list of those attending:

1. showey47 says:

Finally,yashin would no longer be the highest paid forward on the islanders payroll.

That’s the kind of coin Mike Boone makes on H I/O.  I say that you should go for it!

3. Omit says:

Your constant reference to the Jonestown Massacre is a bloody disgrace and a typical classless act on your part, but I’m not surprised.

The truth is that most of those people, including children, were forced at gunpoint to drink this poison.  In fact, many of the victims had bullet wounds.

Please stop using this reference.

4. kempie says:

Nice. Made me LOL. Actually, I think that any recent increased traffic on HIO is due, in large part, to the T242 phenomenon. I’ve heard the village idiot term used, and that fits I guess. But the NHL action has slowed down a fair bit and how many of us keep checking the comments to observe the slow motion train wreck sideshow that is T242? I’ll bet Boone, Stubs & Mio would love to delete him but he’s just such a traffic magnet.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Oh no! Run away!!!

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. likehoy says:

maybe the players that replaced them were more cap-friendly?

could you imagine keeping markov 5.75, souray 5.4, and streit at 4.2 as our top 3 dmen??

as bad as hamrlik has become…he’s still better than souray and streit in his own zone.

7. Say Ash says:

There was no urgency to get rid of the starting goalie of a conference-leading team at the trade deadline.

8. Clay4bc says:

Nothing like a good scotch, man. Enjoy.

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Denis Diderot

9. aemarchand11 says:

Yawn… Go Read a book.

10. Trisdin says:

Those people you just mentioned, built a team that compeated for the conference championship. You are allowed your opinon of course, but I just don’t understand comments like this. pehaps you would like a big free agent signing to bring you happiness in July, but I would like a full team to bring me happiness in May. This is the kind of posting I would expect from a leaf fan on the TSN site. The management is a part of the team and if you support the team, you should support the suits who have very difficult decisions to make. Sure I probally would have prefered Biron or Turco as our new backup but I am carefull what I say in the summer so I don’t become a hyporcrite in the spring when we win the Cup. And thats my opinion.

Kulemin and Mitchell re-sign for laffs.

Lombardi signs for three years with Preds.

12. Clay4bc says:

Yeah, I jump to his defence – so sue me. I also jumped to Timo’s defence – mostly from guys like you. And I don’t reply to Tony…

But here’s the rubber, ZepFan2…I would do the same for you, if you were being attacked. Remember that little fact. I don’t need to agree with your views (and I don’t agree with you for the most part, as you have nothing to offer but semi-witty criticisms of other posters), but at least I respect your right to have those views.

And FYI, I don’t care if Halak has signed yet, unless he signs for the Montreal Canadiens.

13. Malreg says:

Apparently the Islanders have offered Kovalchuk a 10 year $100 million contract.

14. Clay4bc says:

Bill…with all due respect, Price had a great first year, and that was as a member of the highest scoring team in the league. Since that year, and a bit of the second, he has been average at best (and that’s being generous), with a (very) few flashes of brilliance.

He has potential, and that’s about it at this time. He will now have to live up to that potential, because he is the man. And if  he fails, we may regret not signing a truly capable back-up, because Auld is not going to be the answer. So let’s all pray to whichever gods we ascribe to that Price can carry the load.

15. Omit says:

Let’s be honest.  You’re a troll.  Do you want proof?  Here it is!

standing pat

17. Max_a_million says:

He knew when to stop, and he played the loyalty ad respect game well by offering a good contract to a guy who was playing well for us.  so yes

In as much as you use is it as insult the analogy is actually a case of projection.

19. saskhabfan says:

Were they all tied at 47%,28 regulation wins or 88 points?

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

“I bought a bourgeois house in the Slowville Hills
    With a trunkload of hundred thousand dollar bills
    Man came by to hook up my cable TV
    We settled in for the night my baby and me
    We switched ’round and ’round ’til half-past down
    There was fifty-seven channels and notin’ on” (Springsteen)

(Ode to H I/O tonight)

21. rwparent says:

I am in Ottawa and all I hear from the Sens fans is how lucky we have been for years….lucky now and then?

maybe. I think that there have been more good decisions than bad and  – credit where credit is due because folks – the results speak for themselves. Thanks for posting the breakdown – very interesting stuff.

22. Max_a_million says:

Just not true

23. Puck Bard says:

Jim Jones, ya we all get it, tough guy.

24. mrstewart61 says:

I don’t think $4.1m is overpaying Streit:

2009-10 NYI  82gp – 11g + 38a = 49p  E

2008-09 NYI  74g  – 16g + 40a = 56p   +6

In 2009-10 the NYI scored 214 and were scored upon 258 times.

In 2008-09 they scored 198 and were scored upon 274 times.

I think he’s done quite well.

Here are some comparable salaries:

Michal Rozsival 4.0, Ryan Whitney 4.5, McCabe 4.15, Zidlicky 4.0, Pitkanen 4.5, Hannan 4.5, Kubina 4.2, Brewer 4.5.

——————————————————————————————————————— If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

25. gp52 says:

Gainey , Martin and Gauthier are the most uninspiring, boring triumvirate

in the history of the NHL.

And they are not really good at what they do either.

Montreal went as far as they did this year despite these guys.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Wouldn’t read too much into the KHL numbers, he’s a rookie and getting maybe 5 minutes a night in his first season, Ovechkin’s numbers were hardly starting in Russian Super League (what the KHL was) before he came over here.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Here it’s been a long work week. I decided to pick up a bottle of Glenfiddigh and had a few shots. I won’t use that as an excuse because I am lucid so the reality is that I am just effin around. The Price/Halak retort was serious. I can’t believe neither is signed yet and I am wondering what the terms will be respectively.

28. rwparent says:

OK – thanks for the revelation.

Appears the jump to the men’s league did not go that well…

29. rwparent says:

Can’t buy him out or something?

Oh well – something to look forward to, I guess.

30. HabFab says:

He scored those goals on their Junior team as a 17 year old.

Last year before getting injured he did the following;

KHL – 30 GP – 3G + 6A – +6

MHL – 12 GP – 4G + 5A – +3

31. Clay4bc says:

We have nothing to lose…the real question is, does he want to come here? I think in the short term he can make more money in the KHL (not on an entry level contract), and be near his family as well…

And…have you ever seen Russian women? Wow…I miss St. Petersberg and Moscow.

32. T-roy West says:

Actually Gainey offered Souray the outrageous contract. Souray didn’t accept. Still goes in the “Gainey’s good move pile”?

33. Chuck says:

Just looking to start a bet with one of the “we’re doomed without Halak” crowd.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

34. GuyDoon says:

I think someone else pointed out that he is still under contract for one more year in the KHL.

35. showey47 says:

I hoped for souray to be moved because we would have cashed in huge considering we got a 1st and gorges for rivet. But as for streit, you don’t trade your PP trigger man when you are first place in the conference and heading into the playoffs. I would have tried to trade his negotiating rights before the draft though. I remember alot of people being pissed about huet being  traded for a 2nd,you couldn’t even get a 7th or him now.

36. Clay4bc says:

BTW…the question about Price was not meant as bait…I just woke up (I am on the other side of the world), and was wondering, is all.

They say hindsight is 20/20 but it can be very selective at times. Undeniably what you are saying is true and I agree.

38. Clay4bc says:

All good points, Bill, and really, I agree with you to a point. But it’s getting somewhat ridiculous with Tony, to the point where people are baiting him by referring to him in their posts.

39. rwparent says:

Am I really the only one thinking this?

Alexander Avtsin scores 56 goals for the Dynamo – most of them at 18 years of age against the men.

He is a big kid now at 19 with great hands and wheels. Lots of kids are starting earlier – why not one for us?

Is he really going to get any better in the K? I’m looking at the roster and I can see where we need some firepower.

He would be cheap – entry level money. What have they got to lose?

40. ZepFan2 says:

Huh, am I missing something? What bet?

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

41. ZepFan2 says:

Trust me, you’re the top idiot here. You just don’t know it.

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

42. Clay4bc says:

Agreed it was wise not to sign them. But good moves? Not really, in that we got nothing back for those assets we knew we would not sign save a second round pick for Huet. We should have moved them at the trade deadline for pics or prospects.

43. shootdapuck says:

What about the half a years’ money for Markov since he is injured probably until December?

Should be about 2.5 milion.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

Gainey coached the North Stars to the Cup, GMed the Stars to a President’s Cup, a Stanley Cup and another loss in the Finals. That’s 3 Cup appearances with the Stars. He captained a win and a loss in two finals with the Habs and played on another 4. Gainey, for all the abuse I levied his way during the bread baker news conference is one of the premier minds in all of hockey. You sir are an idiot. PG I am not sure about but I like his moves and I am patient because I am mature. You need to grow up. And then hopefully man up.

You are just an attention whore. And an obtuse one at that. Don’t cry innocent. Boohoohoo schoolyard bullies, mods, mods, they’re after me again, I just wanna talk hockey, seriously, guys, c’mon, I’m telling

okay koolaid, its been 30 years of mediocrity, save for the ’86 to ’93 Roy blip, all hail the Roy blip, so you got your numbers wrong sonny. Grow up cupcake.

45. Bill J says:

I guess you do not believe the media either then ?

Because I’ve heard the media mention the following about 2000 times over the past few weeks

“RFA’s are TABOO, GM’s do not go there as it burns bridges”

46. Bill J says:

Go look at the stats in his first 3 years.

Other then Brodeur, find another goalie who had a MUCH better “first 3 years”

Go on… Keep yourself busy… Run along now.

47. showey47 says:

You mean that defence that was ranked worst in the league last year?

48. Bill J says:

And you have the audacity to say others do not know anything about the NHL.

Look – your opinion is clear….

But I digress, because you CLEARLY have not yet understood my initial post.  Keep re-reading it.

49. ZepFan2 says:

Nope. The only one that has been proven wrong is, YOU.

Boyd signed

btw, take your meds or put down the bottle. You’re becoming even more incoherent.

Btw, why isn’t Halak signed? Maybe it’s a Blues conspiracy against Jaro.

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

50. Puck Bard says:

“kool-aid drinkers”? What is with our symbiosis HH?

I may have a man crush… Dare I change my Avatar to Aragon?

51. sm00re says:

Reading about how Souray has just been placed on waivers made me realize that not signing Souray, Streit and Huet for the outrageous contracts they ended up getting should go into Gainey’s ‘good moves’ pile. They were really tough decisions at the time.

52. Puck Bard says:

Ok… it’s a FAN sight, right? We didn’t drink the Kool-aid, we just support our team. If you’re all such contrarians, please contrary yourselves out the damn door, molt into your inner black swan, and tell everyone over at Leafs Inside Out you told us so.

good stuff ed, I like that you’re seeing that, totally like your posts and Triple X’s!!!!

Aye aye Ossifer!!

55. Bill J says:

Read at the top – he’s a bit tipsy… lol

56. Chuck says:

I’ll start the bet right now; Price’s salary cost per win will be lower that Halak’s.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

57. ed lopaz says:

i picked up your reply on the other thread.

i appreciate your input.

i remember all these issues coming up throughout the season.

i was involved in many heated discussions.

some of the most experienced posters on the sight were calling for martin to be fired.

any way, we win game 5 vs washington, stopping over 50 shots and blocking 30 others, and the rest is history.

I think the greater wise man is the one who uses Tony242 to press his own agenda and take a superior position in doing so. Obvious only fools attack Tony who is innocent of calling people lefties or kool-aid drinkers, but I digress, using Tiny, I mean Tony as an example of the good poster is as valid as repeating the number 88 until Lindros finally makes it to the HHOF. Stephane Lebeau isn’t far off.

Neither Price nor Halak signed yet. Who woulda thunk?

59. Puck Bard says:

And thus, the Harry Potter themed thread is initiated!

60. ZepFan2 says:

Uh-uh liar.

You said it was a smokescreen by the Preds to fool their fans.

You said it was a salary dump by the preds.

Nice try!

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

61. HabFab says:

That is Sergeant to you TOOL!

Same grammar, same ability to rationalize the absurd and ignore reality.

62. Puck Bard says:

Bu-bu BA! Bu bu-bu BA!

63. Bill J says:

Clay – just 2 cents (IE my opinion) feel free to re-read the threads, and see if I am entirely wrong.

However, the vast majority of posts I’ve read of “He who must not be named” are replies or “jump on’s” on other people’s posts.

I find on much less occasions people reply to him when HE has initiated a thread.

Way I look at things here, YES we can choose to ignore when he posts an “opinion” as a reply to our posts, or we can say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, as HardHabits did a few nights ago.

I prefer being on the FAN side of things, HAPPY to be a HABS FAN…

Not a negative Nelly who can not say ONE single positive thing, other then when he gives credit to Burke as GM of “The City that must not be named”

64. Puck Bard says:

You cut me deep, Clay

(BTW… love you keepin’ the Star Wars thread)

65. ZepFan2 says:

Funny, you never tell Tony the same thing, just jump to his defense.

He wants to be the HI/O local idiot, so be it. Don’t think we’re not going to point it out to him, especially when he says things as outreageous like…”It’s more likely Beliveau will play before Boyd ever signs.”

Damn right I’m throwing it in his face!

Btw, Did Halak sign yet?

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

66. ed lopaz says:

no clue what you’re saying – none!

sorry. maybe its me. its been a long week.

67. HabFab says:

Just read down below, “luv you guys”. You are getting hammered, don’t get yourself into trouble and forget what I wrote until you’re sober :-)

68. Chuck says:

Don’t make me break out the water guns!

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

And it’s not even Aug 24th yet.

70. Puck Bard says:

No way… don’t see it. I’ve never seen a poster like Tony. If he’s a clone I tip my hat to him.

I was sooooo thinking the same thing. Too funny!!! Jeff Crawford of the RCMP is back. Same type of avatar. Some dude from like from before radio. No offense to all those old timers, but still.

72. ed lopaz says:

i didn’t read that in Bill’s post.

tony, who are you, buddy?

are you a season ticket holder?

do you go to the games?

seriously – not kidding.

73. Bill J says:

Re-read it Tiny…

Until you understand what I wrote.

74. HabFab says:

No, T242.

1) Regular season standings

1 WSH >> out in the 1st round
    2 VAN >> out in the 2nd round
    3 SJS >> out in the 3rd round
    4 CHI >> won the 4th round
    22 MTL >> out in the 3rd round ???????

– by your logic Montreal should’ve won or lost in the 22nd round? Get back to your notes ed, your argument is flawed from the get go and needs a major rethink!!!

Development camp begins Tuesday

Well, how did you spend the off-season?

The team anouncement:

The Montreal Canadiens announced today that 22 prospects will participate in the first of two development camps, set to take place from June 1-5, at the Bell Sports Complex, in Brossard.

The list of participating players includes several players drafted by the organization, as well as players invited as try-outs.

A second development camp, to include players to be selected at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft held on June 25-26 in Los Angeles, will take place from July 6-9, also at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard. The first edition of the Canadiens development camp was presented in 2001.

The Canadiens prospects will first take to the ice on Tuesday, June 1, from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. The development camp consists of two on-ice sessions daily until June 5 on both ice surfaces at the Bell Sports Complex (9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 3:15 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.). Off-ice conditioning sessions are also scheduled each day.

1. G-Man says:

Sorry, but Koivu’s era was a divided dressing room with no heart. I was so glad when they finally let him walk. He should have been let go 4 seasons earlier.

2. ProHabs says:

I was referring to the list of players that Crabvader mentioned above there Tuts. So before you add your 2 cents worth, read over the conversation first.

3. Bill J says:

You just like to argue right ?

Because & I quote You

What does his athletic skill as a hockey player have to do with being a

I provide you an answer that clearly separates Tallon from Gainey and you come back with this ?

Man get over yourself, your ALONE in this thinking, and you will be hard pressed to convince many that your hatred for Gainey is warranted.

4. pmaraw says:

would probably be fact.  yet it is not fact, its an assumption.  you are just assuming

5. Tis Himself says:

I was talking about the “leadership” of the 08-09 team. I didn’t mean to be obscure.

6. Psycho29 says:

You mean GM Gainey who has a cup as GM and built this Habs team that went to the Conference Finals?

7. Bill J says:

Oh I don’t know – why not talk about the reality of him building a Cup winner in Dallas as the GM.

Does that not give him credibility ?

Sheesh – man, at least research &/or think before you talk about Bob Gainey, he deserves that much respect…

IF still you choose to want to dump on him, fine.  Just be more informed prior to posting about it, he deserves that much!

8. Bill H says:

Yes, I would take the $30M over 6 seasons.  But I don’t think he will get an offer like that.  He has yet to show he has any stomach for the playoffs.  Even in the Olympics, he went 7GP with 0G and 1A.  He may well sign elsewhere for more money than the Canadiens can spend.  He will get offers and would be a valued signing with many teams, but his value is limited by this.  There are a lot of variables too.  If the Canadiens unload Hamrlik, then they obviously have more cash to offer Pleks.  But hey, I don’t claim to have a crystal ball.  You might be right Ed.

9. TomNickle says:

I’m sorry but Saku belonged in that group.

What has he done to set him apart where we should have said.  They need to build a team around HIM.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Anaheim not making the playoffs didn’t have anything to do with Koivu and his “A”, it had to do with a team that had fallen apart quickly after the 2007 Cup, the Pronger trade, the departure of Penner, constant injury of Selanne, Koivu missed time and the declining ability of Scott Niedermayer. Hiller and Giguere each had pretty poor seasons as well for the most part. I also remember how the Canadiens had a hard time getting together at first because the old leadership had gone missing and that leadership just came together really in the playoffs as well.

And if Anaheim was an Eastern team, they’d have been in and we’d have
    been out btw.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Koivu I think wasn’t able to lead the team as he once had, being captain of the Canadiens for such a long time can really wear on a player especially when it was basically falling to just him to lead the team. He still inspired efforts here and there, but he wasn’t able to lead them like he used to. Towards the end of his time, the burden of leadership was notable, injuries piled up and it made it harder for him to lift the team and lead by example.

I don’t think he was on the class of Jean Beliveau, but in my time watching the Canadiens, I never saw anyone give everything he had for the team like Saku did.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. chilli says:

“Gainey sent virtually all the leadership in the room packing”…ahhh, I’m sorry, have you already forgotten that we were one of 3 teams still standing a few days ago having just come off the best playoff performance in 17 years? Based mainly on the leadership of Gill, Gomez, Gio and Camalleri! Wake up man. All that “leadership” in Anaheim and they couldn’t even make the playoffs.

13. ed lopaz says:

if you were plekanec, would you take a discount, or would you take the 30 million for 6 years that some idiot offers you??

14. ed lopaz says:

including the last 5 years when uncle bob was everyone’s favorite GM, right?

15. Tis Himself says:

I agree with you both on many of the positive points that you make about Koivu as well as the fact that the management of the team and the roster bit the root for most of his tenure. I do not, however, believe that he is above all criticism. When Gainey decided to remake the team last off season, he sent virtually all of the leadership in the room packing. The only A to remain was Markov. I think it’s fair to say that Koivu undoubtedly played a role in the Centennial-season debacle.

16. Bill H says:

REgarding Pleks, I think management would like to keep him, but it depends on what his plans are.  Sure, if he takes a discount, he’ll stay.  But with our cap space, we can only offer him so much.  And remember, with Quebec taxes, a matching offer to the player is like offering a discount.  Anything less than a matching offer is really asking a lot of the player.

As for the goalies, I think it is Price that will want out if we sign Halak.  Halak has the number one job nailed down, at least to start.  Anywhere he goes, there will be a backup who wants his job.

17. PeterStone says:

David Backes is one of the up n coming power forwards in this league.  The Canucks thought so highly of him, they tendered an offer sheet to him.  Plus, he is UFA at seasons end.  Hamrlik’s is overpaid , and that contract will end up being the reason no one wants him.  AK is an enigma wrapped around a riddle, and SK hasnt demonstrated any real interest in playing hockey professionally … i doubt the Blues make that move

As for the Florida move, I dont see why we do it.  Horton is the enigma that AK is …  i can actually see Florida moving Horton and pick for Halak.  Gives them options in regards to Vokoun as well.

I thought for sure hamrlik wouldnt be back next season, but, someone made a great point … Markov is going to miss the first 3 months of the season next year, so, his $$ will be off the books, and Hamrlik is the obvious replacement ( since he has that experience ) for Markov.  So, I am going to assume we suffer through another year of Roman Hamrlik nailing our goalies.  Although I have to say, I pray we dont have to.

I do agree with you tho .. trade a goalie .. reach out for a backup like Theodore or Biron as a UFA .. who you will sign for 1M$ tops.  Try to toughen up with Boogard for a 2 year deal ( similiar to JTootoo’s ) … DMoore if affordable, please sign him, or EBelanger from the Caps for a 2 yr 1M$ per contract.  If you can swing a deal for all or any of SK, AK, RH , then thank you.

18. crabvader says:

He’s pretty much the only man who kept this team afloat instead of having it sink into Islander-esque oblivion.

And on another note, I would let go of Pleks and take back Koivu in a heartbeat. He would show up come playoff time.

19. crabvader says:

I’m not dwelling. I’m pointing out something that would probably be fact.

Also, how is it Koivu’s fault if those years were bad? Or better yet, why label it the Koivu era?

We went through bad GM after bad GM and bad coach after bad coach…

Despite all that, Koivu put up more than respectable numbers for us and did a buttload for our community when he isn’t even from here.

If anything, it should be called the Rejean Houle era because HE screwed us for a long time, not Koivu.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Yeah, all the prime years of his career playing with a hack roster, that really gave him a lot of opportunities to lift Montreal to a Cup. Everyone bemoans the last 15 years of the Habs, then drops it all on the head of one man who wore the CH on his heart when the team was a joke for most of his career.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. Tis Himself says:

It’s time to move on. The Koivu era with few exceptions was just one long disappointment.

22. B says:

Craig Adams, who won a cup, is not a better player than Gilbert Perreault or Marcel Dionne because they did not win a cup.

23. Bill J says:

OK I read & re-read this post, still trying to figure out from which left field you are coming from…

What does his playing days draft pick position have to do with his ability to be a GM ?

24. Bill H says:

Pleks $4-$4.5M over 3 or 4 years.  I don’t think he will sign for less than that, and he will certainly be offered that much. His value comes down due to his lack of production in playoffs.  This is cancelled out because he is so good at defence and on PK.

Halak $3.25-$3.75M over 3 years.  He’s still RFA and only has one good year under his belt.

Price His current salary is $0.85M but his cap hit is $2.2M, so I guess the difference is what he could make in bonuses.  I think it will take $2.5M for 2 years to sign him because he should be able to get on offer out of someone for that much just based on his “potential”.  Also, after the rough ride he has had in Montreal, plus the competition from Halak (unless Halak is traded or not signed), he’d be just as happy to play somewhere else.

25. crabvader says:

Can’t help but think that Saku would’ve been a HUGE positive influence on young Joonas Nattinen and definitely would’ve helped his centerman skills.

26. Bill J says:

I gota say all things considered …

This post + your signature made me have a good little giggle…. 😉 😛

27. mrstewart61 says:

———————————————————————————————————————- If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

28. Mikey_39 says:

I’m pretty excited to see what the habs to this off-season, but I’m not sure I’m happy that it’ll be Pierre Gauthier taking decisions that could very well affect our future for years to come.  I just don’t see the guy being our GM for long, so doesn’t it seem dumb to have a guy that won’t be our GM, making huge decisions like how to handle the plekanec situation, which goaltender to move forward with….like i said HUGE decisions

I think it’s a mistake to let Plecky go.  First, he grew up in the organization, which is awesome.  He finished with 70 points…keep in mind that in the beginning season, he was doing the work alone.  He didn’t have stable wingers.  Also, is there a more defensive-forward that puts up numbers like that? He plays huge minutes on the pk, shutting down the NHLs best.  I really think you have to keep this guy and I hope he would show some will to play here by taking a home-town discount

The goalie debate…Chose one, and go with it. I don’t think you have a choice.  Bring in a veteran backup to help with Halak or Price’s development.  I can’t see Halak signing in Montreal if Price is here. Why would he take the chance losing his number one spot?  This is his chance to be a team’S true number one, and unless the Habs show their willing to go with him 100%, i think he won’t sign.  I love Halak and hope he stays, but if we keep Price, I know he has a lot of potential and won’t be too p.o.

Sign Moore (if he’s willing to accept less than a mil), Lapierre, and Pouliot

As for Hamerlik, I know a lot of peeps want him gone.  If we could get a good deal, sure.  But having him in the line-up isn’t horrible.  He’s a great mentor, and is still capable of playing well.

29. B says:

Do you really think all NHL players have the same odds of winning the cup each season? I don’t think it is a random statistical event like rolling dice or flipping a coin.

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Tell us, who really killed Kennedy? The Illuminati or the Marshmellow men?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

31. Bill J says:

UGH! your back on this rant again eh ?

Difference between Tallon & BG ?

1) Tallon was relieved of his duties.

2) BG Stepped down because of personal reasons, he is not about to GM another team.

32. Storm Man says:

No agent would go for that deal a pay decease, at best he makes the same money over 2 years with bonuses for games played, wins, ect.

33. B says:

Why? Krejci is also on his 2nd contract signed as an RFA and Sharp is on a contract extension signed over two years ago. I don’t think it is very relevant to compare those contracts to what Plekanec should or might get as a UFA this summer. Anyways, my original point was simply that you had the wrong salary/cap number for Bergeron.

34. puck face says:

love Horton , pretty sure florida loves him too. don’t know if Price is the type to need a mentor , seems to want to do things his way. also being a veteran doesn’t automatically make you a good mentor, Hamrlik’s contract is a bitch……maybe try to unload it on e-bay?

35. Bill J says:

I think Price could be kept for a pay decrease (maybe just for a 1-2 year contract) actually.

but not enough to be able to help pay Jaro’s upcoming major pay increase though.

Price for 1 – 1.5 Million for 1-2 seasons .. ?

36. HFX-HabFan says:

Somebody didn’t read closely enough…

37. Storm Man says:

That is the tough one, Price made 2.2 this year. I think PG at the draft kicks the tires a little and see’s what is the best deal that comes his way for Halak or Price and go from there.

38. Bill J says:

Uhm Tallon is the new Florida GM – thus the reference to him…

The reference to his performance in Chicago was about the contracts he offered his players without first considering Toews & Kane.

39. mrstewart61 says:

Tallon is no longer GM in Chicago, it’s Stan Bowman (Scotty’s son).  Tallon is in the fornt office now.

If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

40. Chuck says:

I’d put 4.5 million in small bills in a room and let the two of them figure it out.   :)

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

41. HFX-HabFan says:

Assuming Pleks goes, my wishlist includes David Backes (STL) and Nathan Horton (FLA) to replace him in our top six.  Both are big guys who play a physical game, shoot right, and can play both wing and centre.  What would it take to get them?  I would love to say the K brothers but that won’t be enough.  Hamrlik would fit in well on either team but then we would probably need to take back more salary.  Possible deals:

Andrei Kostitsyn, Segei Kostitsyn, and Roman Hamrlik to STL for David Backes and a 2nd round pick

Analysis: The Blues have a ton of money coming off the books this summer.  Their blueline has a lot of prospects who are about a year away.  Hammer could be a stopgap solution for them for a year, playing on their second pairing.  The K brothers get moved to another conference and have a chance to wake up.  We get Backes who would be an RFA next summer, and replenish the second rounder we lost in the Moore trade, albeit higher up than what we would have had if we had kept ours.

Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn, Roman Hamrlik and Jaroslav Halak (gasp!) to FLA for Nathan Horton, Tomas Vokoun, and either D prospect Michael Caruso or our 2nd rounder back

Analysis: Obviously trading Halak is not the most popular notion around here.  I still maintain that Price has a higher upside and that he might just need a veteran goalie to come alongside him as a mentor.  Vokoun is one of the most underrated goalies in the game- he recently backstopped CZE to a world championship, and his shutout and save percentage numbers are among the best in the NHL since the lockout.  He is only on the books for one more year- enough time to platoon with Price and then we could either bring him back for cheaper in the summer of 2011 or find another veteran backup or even promote Desjardins.  On Florida’s end, they get an up and coming goalie who they can lock up long-term, a couple of enigmas from Belarus, and a veteran D who can become a trade asset at the deadline and is off the books next summer.  Dale Tallon gets mixed reviews in my books for his performance as a GM in Chicago; he could be looking to make the big blockbuster to put his own personal stamp on the team.

42. puck face says:

actually yes. i’ve done a lot of travelling and have had the chance to live in warmer clmates but i love where i come from.

43. gauver says:

I think you make an excellent point by comparing Halak’s potential reward for this one season to the reward Ward got for winning a Cup.  I hope that this logic prevails in the negotiation.  For one thing, it would leave more money in the pot to sign or re-sign other players.

If you would offer Halak $3.5 million per season, what do you think Price is worth right now?

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Only thing I noticed in the combine was Kirill Kabanov’s (Awesome name IMO) press statements where he basically slammed the KHL and said he’d never play for the national team after the Under-18 Team drama. The kid has basically torched his opportunities in Russia for life to try and ensure he makes the NHL.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

45. Chuck says:

Personally, I’d think that the Habs would be insane to pay Halak $5 million/season, given that even optimistically he’d only play 65-70% of your games as a starter.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

46. Storm Man says:

I would make him a fair deal 4-4.5 for 4 years.

47. gauver says:

Fair enough.  What about comparing him to Patrick Sharp or David Krejci?

48. Storm Man says:

Would you want to live some place with snow if you were making 10 mil per year?

49. gauver says:

Does that mean that you wouldn’t make him an offer at all?  Or would you make him your best offer – take or leave it?

50. Storm Man says:

Call your friends who have season tickets for the Flames. The reason for the Feb 20th game is that it is a long weekend in Alberta and Mr King wanted the most bang for his bank account.

51. B says:

Patrice Bergeron is still playing on his 2nd contract which he signed as an RFA. You really can’t compare that to what he or Plekanec can fetch as a UFA. Apples and oranges.