Desharnais will be game-time decision for Habs

David Desharnais, who has been battling the flu, will be a game-time decision for the Canadiens when they take on the Senators Thursday night in Ottawa (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Desharnais, who missed Tuesday’s game against the New Jersey Devils, was one of six player to take part in Thursday morning’s optional skate in Ottawa, along with Francis Bouillon, Michael Bournival, George Parros, Douglas Murray and backup goalie Peter Budaj.

If Desharnais is able to play, Francis Bouillon is expected to be a healthy scratch.

Carey Price will start in goal for the Canadiens and Craig Anderson is expected to start for the Senators.

Here’s the projected Habs lineup for the game:

Moen-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Briere-Eller-Bourque
Bournival-Prust-Parros

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Murray-Diaz
Bouillon

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs vs. Senators preview, NHL.com

Game day report, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

No panic for Habs as power play struggles, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Moen finds his game from behind visor, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Senators Extra, Ottawa Citizen

Game day journal, Ottawasenators.com

Subban should get a McGill tie, Stu on Sports blog

1. russ2445 says:

Well here we go again. Up 3-0 and going to blow it. Coach didn’t have enough sense to call a time out. Don’t give me the flu excuse. I can here it coming. Without Price what would the score be? No one down on the farm? What will come next, complete fall out and fighting for a playoff position. Time to make changes.

Russell Fielding

2. JohnBellyful says:

I don’t believe it.
    They’re playing “There’s a new thread in town” again.

3. I’d love to see them experiment on the PP with Parros and/or Murray screening the net. Nothing else seems to be working now. Why not?

Defense wins championships

• Dunboyne Mike says:

And Briere on the point on the 2nd unit?

• CJ says:

I like the idea of having a forward on the second unit PP at the point. We need to give opponents a new look. The tried and tested method has turned a strength into a weakness. We are allowing other teams to gain momentum following a successful kill. Further, we are reducing the deterrent of 2 minutes or less. There is really no reason not to run at Price or at least risk an interference penalty, knowing the canadiens can’t capitalize on the man advantage.

4. DipsyDoodler says:

Well, I had a little tangle with Bershire. I think I was being pretty polite, but maybe not. I just disagreed in a fairly respectful way with the blog post about the Habs sucking and Therrien and Bergevin not realizing it.

I’ve had gentler responses after taunting baby raccoons in front of their mother.

But the thing that kills me is someone actually wrote (in seriousness) that Berks should be hired by the Montreal Canadiens to advise Bergevin.

5. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

So, who got the call up from Hamilton? Did you just say, “nobody”? WTF? If we still had Weber, I’d be cool, but really, Beegevin?

6. Bripro says:

I’m a Gazette reader. And I like Hickey’s reports. They’re always pretty to very informative.
    But Pat, did you sleep in your car last night?
    I watched that little video blurb above, and I think they forgot to give you hotel money on your assignment.
    Time for a comb, buddy!
    (Easy for me to say. Haven’t had hair in 30 years).

7. CH Marshall says:

Visiting MTL end of month, and on my priority list is to pick up a McGill tie from the bookstore

8. jon514 says:

Trade Speculation:

Drew Stafford for (Rene Bourque and a 2nd round pick)

Would you pull the trigger?

9. Luke says:

Enjoy the game folks!

Kingston is in town tonight. Hope the Icedogs can make a game of it. Rosters will be a bit screwy with players mising bcause of the
    Prospects game last night…

Le Sigh.

Go Habs.

10. Thomas Le Fan says:

I just hope Center Ice brings me the game in HD tonight. How the heck did we ever watch non HD sports??? The blur makes me dizzy.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

11. myron.selby says:

I have been a Habs fan(atic) for 40 years. I used to find a way to wangle tickets every time they played Edmonton (although that slowly tapered off).

I try to watch every televised game (I subscribe to RDS so that means every game.)

Habs hockey is literally the only time I turn on the tv.

This year though the league and the Habs have conspired to make me stop watching. The game as currently played has become so dull it is not all that enjoyable at the best of times.

For a while after the previous lockout when the refs were actually calling stuff, the game opened up and there was some real excitement. As they gradually returned to allowing almost any interference and obstruction (with a few exceptions) it slowed down again.

Most games now are played very predictably. You can pretty much tell what both teams will do in every scenario. It’s all systems and waiting for mistakes – scrums along the boards and hoping for rebounds by jamming the crease.

The only time there is any room to skate is in overtime. To me the only solutions would require both a much stricter enforcement of the rules as well as either going to Olympic size ice (fat chance – it would cost the owners money) or going to 4 skaters (fat chance – it would cost the players jobs).

I can put up with the nature of the game when the Habs are playing with intensity and jump. This year they are so lackadaisical most nights I can’t stand watching. And bear in mind I watched all their games through some awful stretches over the years.

I can forgive them losing. I can’t forgive them not trying and playing a truly dull style.

I always pvr games and watch them after they’ve been playing for a while. I like to give enough lead time that I can fast forward through commercials, intermissions and play stoppages.

Well this year I have started fast forwarding more and more. First, it was when they got down by 2 goals. Then it was by 1 goal. In the last few I start as soon as the other team ties it up. I managed to watch the Philadelphia game in around 10 minutes total.

The next step is going to be to stop watching all together. If I reach that point, what do I do with my signed Lafleur jersey, all my other jerseys, my seat from the old Forum and all the other memorabilia?

Am I the only one who feels this way or are there any others here who really aren’t getting the same charge out of Habs hockey that they used to?

• Thomas Le Fan says:

A long post but a short answer. Don’t watch them then. Be happy.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• knob says:

I have an idea, originating from left field, bring back the two-line pass and take away the offsides. Sounds crazy but really think about it…

• CHasman says:

I think a lot of Habs fans would agree with you that many games are painful to watch. They are a New Jersey type team now (except they don’t work as hard).
      That being said, I still look forward to them playing whenever there is a game on. I think a fan has to put up with a weaker team sometimes, especially if you’ve been a fan of the same team for 40 years.
      I have hope for the future!

• DipsyDoodler says:

It was worse during the Martin era (except for that playoff run).

• Psycho29 says:

I remember people used to tell me 10-15 years ago that they couldn’t be bothered watching regular season games. They only watched playoffs. I used to think they were nuts. Wouldn’t miss a game…
      Now, I rarely watch regular season games that don’t involve the Habs.
      Before the game against Chicago, I told my girlfriend that if the Habs were losing by 3 goals at any point, we were switching to something on the PVR. I’m normally a positive person, but maybe I read all of the gloom n’ doom posts here that said the Habs were going to get blown out.
      So I don’t know if it’s the quality of hockey…or if we were spoiled with dynasty after dynasty.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Great post. Welcome to hockey in the Bettman era. When he’s done the business end of the league will look good and the hockey like something my dog leaves in the backyard. There are only a couple of teams in the league that are exciting to watch and the rest of league spends every minute trying to figure out how to stifle even that tiny bit of creativity.

If you cannot make the ice bigger, maybe the answer is to make the players smaller. Make the NHL maximum 5’8″ and 170 lbs. The Habs would be the best team in the league overnight, they have all the surfs. Either that or have the current players play without shoulder or elbow pads. That would open it up!

12. Say Ash says:

Scoring some goals: Game-time decision?

13. knob says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if MT scratches Parros and still goes with seven dmen. I’m pretty sure that DD has been on an IV all day and will be in the line-up.

14. Am I crazy, or is it really weird for an NHL team to go several days — and potentially a couple of games — with just 11 healthy forwards? Why not call up Blunden or something, just in case?

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• bwoar says:

Saving cap space.

“thoroughbred”

• Habcouver says:

Explain how that cap space issue work, bwoar?

Waiting patiently for #25

• Maybe, but it would just be a couple of games: say $20k toward the cap. And yes mrhabby, he’s not great, but he’s a better forward than Bouillon. : )

• mrhabby says:

Blunden sucks.

• 24 Cups says:

There’s no use saving cap space if it means you slip out of the playoff picture. If DD can’t go then there is a major problem at centre. No 7th defenseman is going to solve that dilemma.

The Habs should have called up Martin St Pierre who would be the best short term solution to the problem.

• CJ says:

It can’t have anything to do with cap related issues. The management team must not either have confidence in our prospect group, or they are hoping to move some of our existing roster players and recognize that sitting them out only works to decrease their value. My two cents.

I’ve been beating this horse for a week. If we haven’t done it yet, it’s not going to happen. We might as well move onto something else. As Therien would say, there is no more juice in this lemon.

15. twilighthours says:

Dunboyne, if you want bills email address, zip me a line at this username @ gmail dot com.

16. So, I was NOT trolling on the Sens Extra site a while ago. Apparently, 55% of those polled today are delusional and believe their team’s management is realistic in saying they can win the cup within two years. HA!

Defense wins championships

• And as for our most recent poll, I say Yea. Anyone with Jagr’s work ethic would be a good kick in the pants for certain veterans on this team who need motivation. *cough* Bourque *cough*

Defense wins championships

• Bripro says:

But you’re just speculating, right dragon?
      After all, you weren’t trolling. ;)

• CJ says:

I think they have to. Otherwise, what will murray have accomplished? His rebuild is six years deep. He is in his tenth year in the organization. To his credit he has helped the sens turn a corner, but they have exactly one playoff series win in the past six years. Here, in the seventh year since he has taken over, his group, although playing much better lately, are in eleventh place in the weak eastern conference. Not even top 20 overall. For this he was rewarded with a four year extension, two of which are as GM.

This is the reason I fear the Sens tonight. They understand that this is a pivotal year. If they don’t get moving, there will be major changes. They are playing desperate hockey. We aren’t. The game tonight holds major implications. Ottawa could be as little as 5 points behind, or as many as nine. I can’t impress upon everyone how much I hope it’s nine.

This is kind of funny, the Washington Wizards run a Bandwagon Fan Cam, and isolate fans dressed in opposing teams jerseys to shame them in a fun way at games. If Ottawa were to do this to Habs fans tonight, I suspect they it would take a little longer.

18. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Twilight.
    Thread tag, eh?

19. shiram says:

That’s what I said in the last thread!

20. Mattyleg says:

Welcome to the new thread.

Put up your feet, relax…

Can I offer you a drink?
    Some salted-yet-still-in-shell peanuts?