Desharnais will be a healthy scratch against Blues

David Desharnais, in the first year of a four-year, $14-million contract, will be a healthy scratch for the Canadiens when they face the St. Louis Blues Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio-690).

Desharnais’s spot in the lineup will be taken by Martin St. Pierre, who was called up from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs on Sunday. In 15 games this season, Desharnais has only one assist and is minus-2. St. Pierre had 3-5-8 totals in seven games with the Bulldogs this season. The 30-year-old has played 38 games in the NHL with Chicago, Boston and Ottawa, posting 3-5-8 totals.

St. Pierre will play on the fourth line with Ryan White and George Parros.

The Canadiens held an optional morning skate Tuesday in Brossard with 17 players taking part: Michael Bournival, Alex Galchenyuk, Brendan Gallagher, Louis Leblanc, Lars Eller, Desharnais, George Parros, Martin St. Pierre, Travis Moen, Raphael Diaz, P.K. Subban, Douglas Murray, Francis Bouillon, Alexei Emelin, Greg Pateryn, Carey Price and Peter Budaj.

For the second straight day, Brandon Prust – who is recovering from a shoulder injury – skated earlier.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings should look against the Blues:

Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Leblanc-Eller-Bourque
St-Pierre-White-Parros

Markov-Subban
Diaz-Gorges
Murray-Bouillon

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Blues Preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Post-practice locker-room video, Canadiens.com

Halak would enjoy a Montreal encore, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Coach Hitchcock overhauls Blues’ top lines, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

P.K. Subban has some fun with Carey Price’s Pads, 24CH Flash video

1. Donkey Hoat says:

I hope the benching pulls DD out of his funk; it’s obvious he’s trying very hard, but the goals have not come.
    He has become our favourite whipping boy lately, but when he plays well, has good linemates, and pots a few, the team is better for it.

2. jamman says:

Writer for Canadiens.com “While its always a hard decision to bench an established NHL player” LOL. Apparently this was a difficult decision. I really hope Davy does return to form. I really enjoyed watching him that 60 point season and even early last season. Everyone loves an underdog.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Totally agree. And whether one wants him in the line-up going forward or wants him traded, neither can happen unless he produces. So everyone should be pulling for him.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

3. Luke says:

I want to break free
    I want to break free
    I want to break free from your lies
    You’re so self satisfied I don’t need you
    I’ve got to break free
    God knows, God knows I want to break free.

4. krob1000 says:

Marc Denis, Peter Ratchuk, Brendan Morrow, Jiri Fischer, Mikhail Kuleshov, Steve Ott, Alex Perezhogin, Cam Ward, Anthony Stewart, Rob Schremp, Andrew Cogliano, Patrick Berglund, Patrick White, Greg Nemisz, Jordan Caron, Kevin Hayes, Stuart PErcy, Jordan Schmaltz,

These are the guys drafted at no 25 since 1995……it is a roll of the dice and the Habs have plenty of rolls of the dice on smaller skilled guys but needed to start getting a handful of Mccarron/Crisp types in the organization in hopes of one of them panning out.

• Luke says:

Sad that guys like Orr, Parros, McLaren & Scott are in the league and a guy like Schremp couldn’t catch on.

If only he’d have punched more people. he’s certainly not worse than those characters defensively.
      54 points in 114 games… Someone should have found a 4th line spot for him, played him as a PP and shootout specialist.

But nope, we get to watch Matt Kassian stumble around the ice for 6 brain numbing munutes.

I am looking forward to watching the teams effort level and jump tonight. Perhaps some forwards were getting discouraged at the situation as it related to DD, if so maybe we see an extra step in their play.

• Eddie says:

That’s very positive of you Burly, I hope you’re on to something there.

• Habfan10912 says:

And maybe they show support for the crap over the recent PK coach tiff and come out on all cylinders.

• Eddie says:

Here’s a question for ya Jim.

Lets say there was a hypothetical conflict between Subban and Therrien, a real bad one. Who do you think the teams leaders would support? Gionta, Markov, Gorges, you know the leaders.

Just hypothetical, of course.

Well played Ed, I think you and I both know the answer. Let’s hope that the fact the Habs probably have the most zealous media coverage in the entire NHL is really the primary root of all the hoopla.

Because I am here in T.O., I can tell you the media here are not nearly as zealous at stirring up controversies with the Leafs. Randy Carlyle and Dallas Eakins ripped Kadri a new one for a couple years straight and while it was mentioned, very little was made of it in comparison to the PK situation.

• habcertain says:

I think it is the “elephant in the room” thing that drives this, which was compounded by Therrien’s personal comments (about PK) before he was handed the coaching job, little different than Toronto story.

• Habfan10912 says:

Eddie, I’m not the right one to ask. I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the Richards/PK thing in PK’s rookie season. I do admit I am bias when it comes to all things PK.

• Eddie says:

It’s perfectly ok Jim. 50 years from now the hockey world will still be talking about Subban. Therrien? Not as much.

6. donmarco says:

Congratulations Mr. Ford. You’ve made the big time.BREAKING NEWS on CNN.

7. Fransaskois says:

@Maritime Ronn / RE: McCarron

His teammates and TOI are a very good indicator of where McCarron’s playing level is at right now and so are his stats. He’s been primarily relegated to the third line and hasn’t been put in many key situations when I’ve watched him. He hasn’t been physical by any stretch of the imagination and he hasn’t been an offensive catalyst or even really a role player. He’s been dead weight apart from a couple of flashes.

This is a player who scored 10pts in 19 games in the USHL. Both Leblanc and Paccioretty were PPG players in the USHL during their draft years (LL-59pts-60gp/MP-63pts-60gp). I collected some notable “big guys” from the NHL picked around 25th (1st-2nd round) in the draft that exhibit similar playing styles. Please keep in mind that there are tonnes of examples and I realize this is a small sample size in terms of McCarron’s production. In their first year after the draft:

Michael McCarron – 5pts in 14gp (25th overall 2013)

Bryan Bickell – 54pts in 66gp (41st overall 2004)
    Michael Blunden – 84pts in 60gp (43rd overall 2005)
    Tomas Kopecky – 50pts in 49gp (38th overall 2000)
    Shawn Matthias – 64pts in 73gp (47th overall 2006)
    Colton Gillies – 47pts in 58gp (16th overall 2007)
    Eric Tangradi – 60pts in 66gp (42nd overall 2007)
    Milan Lucic – 68pts in 70gp (50th overall 2006)

This isn’t a player who is expected to be an offensive force, he’s expected to be a complimentary player. As well as being a project, he’s a bit of a shot in the dark. He’s not playing at the level that was expected of him, physically or offensively, and this is worrying to a lot of people. He will need to see an incredible spike in development and production if he’s to reach the level of even Bryan Bickell (30pts/season in the NHL). The list of players who became significant NHL veterans after putting up less than half a PPG in junior is very small, injury or no. If he has an injury, he needs to sit. If he needs to adjust to the league, he needs to do it quickly.

I’ll be patient and I’ll wait out the project before giving up on him. However, I stand by my belief (and Ben’s) that this was a bad pick at 25th overall.

• krob1000 says:

I think they are hoping he becomes a 15-20 goal guy 40 point guy who can also rack up 100 pims and bang some bodies and protect. Anything more is a bonus and at minimum he shoud become a regular NHLer in a grinding role because of his size. Given his injuries I think he should have some slack cut and perhaps there was someone else they could have gone after but there are plenty of guys that reach their ceilings later. Think of it this way also…if he had more offesnive output already then he would not have been available at no 25. What the Habs did was look at his frame, athleticism, cahracter,etc and envision a kid who was willing tow ork to make sure things work out ….only time will tell

• montreal ace says:

I sometimes trust what I see, rather then just the numbers. What I saw in training camp was a great prospect, who was big, strong, mobile, and went to the net.

• Eddie says:

Mobile? Really? Eller is mobile. Pacioretty is mobile. McCarron is big.

• Fransaskois says:

I agree that he stood out in training camp, my concern stems from what I’ve seen during his play so far against junior players in the OHL.

• Eddie says:

1st round picks need to be NHL skaters. You can’t draft a player in the 1st round, and hope he develops into an NHL skater. You save that for rounds 2-7, and even in round 2 I wouldn’t do it.

• Fransaskois says:

Definitely, I think there’s a gross misconception of the differences between a “good skater for his size” and a “good skater.” I honestly don’t think his skating is the only thing holding him back. He’s a good enough skater to be effective at the junior level considering there have been plenty of below-average skaters at the junior level who were/are capable of putting up lots of points. As an example, he’s as good or better than Gregoire when it comes to top-end speed.

I think it’s the hockey IQ and his offensive abilities that will hold him back.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Frans

Tks so much for the data and first hand look.

There had to be a reason why Timmins/Bergevin and possibly Dudley went there.
      No doubt this young man is at best 4-5 years away from the NHL if ever.

All can predict or speculate…perhaps we all should allow the cards to fall where they will

• habcertain says:

a little early in the man’s career to determine his worth, or fret, or cheer for that matter. we can all check back 2 years from now and decide if we want to throw him under the hockey bus!

• slyCH says:

Isn’t McCarron playing hurt?

8. montreal ace says:

MB and MT sitting DD is not a big issue to me, it’s just a chance for him to hit the reset button with less pressure. I think what I like about the move, is the rewarding St. Pierre and the motivation it gives to anybody under contract with the Canadiens. I like both MB and MT, I find that both of them are honest, hard working, accountable , and know the game of hockey. I know many people here think MB is old school, but for the life of me, I can’t see how these values can hurt a person. In short we have 2 working class men in MB and MT, and I love it.

9. krob1000 says:

There is another issue at play re the HAbs contact status moving forward…..givng the kd line top line opportunities is goign to accelerate their pay scale increases as well. I am a bit surprised they did not at least give DD an opportunity with Patches to try and boost his confidence and/or create a market. It is awesome that the Habs have several kids on accelerated development paths but the cap can be an obstacle in a a situation like that as well….

• Cal says:

Having 5 or 6 players on ELC makes handling the cap a lot easier, but it’s tough to maintain that amount of rookies and sophomores if you’re not winning with them.
      Interesting problem to have, though.

• shiram says:

Eller got a really fair bridge contract, and will be due for a big boy contract in the next 9 or so months.
      He’s been playing third/4th line minutes for a bunch of years now, so I don’t think he is an issue.

• Maritime Ronn says:

krob

Not to worry.
      Remember the Hawks after they won the Cup in 2010?
      All the experts said they were in big trouble Cap wise and had to dump a lot of guys including the Cup winning goalie Niemi, Byfuglien, Dman Brian Campbell, Versteeg….then they win the Cup 3 years later.

• krob1000 says:

True but they are built like the Pens…riding a handful of very elite players…the Habs if they win will be more by committee of a group of stars. They also spent very little on goaltending if I remember correctly. Here’s hoping…but I was just making the point about it not necessarly being great long term for these kids to have such statisitically great seasons so young….look at DD…if a kid was not given first line wingers like that and those guys instead went to someone else than perhpas DD does not get 4 years.
        It is a good problem to have a I guess as someone stated just something to keep in the back of our minds.

• donmarco says:

From EL to RFA (without arbitration) to RFA (with arbitration) some of the kids are 5 years away from that being an issue.

10. Cal says:

They say that in democracy the people get the leaders they deserve. Does Toronto deserve Rob Ford? Hells ya! ;)

11. --Habs-- says:

What took so long! If his name were David Jones he would have been sat 8 games ago!

“Habs” on my license plate!

• Alex_425 says:

It’s ’cause of the size of his contract, not his name.

If he was still making ~$500k a year, then yeah, would have been benched much sooner, or worse.

But I’m no expert….

• shiram says:

I don’t know about that, it took a very long time before Gomez got demoted as far as DD has.

• krob1000 says:

Gomez has a Stanley cup ring and was a respected vet….DD was a gamble based on a good showing under favourable circumstances. I still believe he can be effective given the right situation…issue is the guys behind him in the lineup and the fact he does not fit in with the Canadiens makeup as it stands. I wouldn’t rule him out yet though…one thing he has proven time and time again throughout his career is that he is resilient and determined.

• shiram says:

I’m just saying his demoting was not delayed because of his place of birth and spoken langages.

• --Habs-- says:

Problem is he’s not going to the front of the net like our favorite rookie! Thats the only way he’ll keep his job.
            “Habs” on my license plate!

12. Bill says:

When Moen and Prust are healthy, how much would you play Parros?
    Moen, Prust, and White make an excellent 4th line IMO.

• Phil C says:

He should only play against team with super heavy weights, ie Toronto, Buffalo. I wouldn’t even bother against Boston. Chara and Lucic wouldn’t fight Parros, and Moen/White/Prust can handle the rest.

• krob1000 says:

Count how many games there are against the Bruins, Leafs, Flyers and add 10….should be about right

• zephyr says:

I think prust plays with eller & bourque. ll may not be in the mix.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Not much. He looks slow and awkward. I’m not sure how he ever catches up to anyone to hit them. I suppose he throws a mean body check when opponents are standing still waiting for a face off. I’m not even sure that he’s useful against Toronto and a few of the other teams carrying non-hockey playing goons like Colon Orr, but I guess he is a necessary evil in those games. He’s definitely a liability when hockey breaks out.

13. Alex_425 says:

So far, my favourite thing I’ve heard about the Ford fiasco is:

“Don’t judge him! Maybe he’s cleaning up the city… by smoking all the crack in it.”

But I’m no expert….

14. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Gee, I wonder if Don Cherry will now leap to the defence of his buddy, Rob Ford, claiming that it has all been a European and Quebecois pinko plot to smudge the reputation of a “real” Canadian?

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

15. zephyr says:

I remember david miller as t.o. mayor. he was in the public sector unions’ back pocket. he bloated the budget so bad it had to be cut back so he tried to close libraries on sundays. the librarians told him to get lost so he couldn’t. the garbage strike was ridiculous. I hoped the garbage piled to the top of the c.n. tower for those people being so stupid to elect all those tax & spend politicians. people had to drop off their own garbage at designated areas & the striking union guys policed it & would only let 2 people in at a time. it took hours to get rid of your garbage. at 1 place, a guy & his son snuck in around the side & were beaten up by union thugs. the police did nothing.
    ford came in & cut back the unions. he put the garbage collection contracts up for bids & unions only do half the city now. the private guys are cheaper & give better service. the unions hate rob ford. they will do everything in their power & spend any amount of money to get rid of him. so the pr arm of the liberal party incl the t.o. ‘red’ star, the cbc et al are gunning for ford. too bad he made a mistake but he’s not exactly marion barry. much different treatment was meted out to liberal icon jack layton when he was arrested with his pants down in an exotic massage parlour.
    I think the whole system of unions giving money to liberals to get elected & then liberals fattening the union contracts who then funnel money back to liberals etc. is corrupt. rob ford is killing their gravy train.
    anyway, go habs! I hope emelin is back soon. prust too.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Yeah, driving drunk, smoking crack, and making drunken passes at women is all fine and dandy, as long as he gives you a tax break, eh? Nothing wrong there. Other than the breaking the law part, of course.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Strummer says:

Hands up everyone who has ever imbibed in an illegal substance or gotten behind the wheel over the legal limit.
        Now you same people resign from your jobs because that’s what should be done.

Right?

Edit: I’m looking at you Liberal leader Tru-d’oh

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• zephyr says:

it’s not like cheering for ur fav hockey team. policies should be a part of the decision process in politics. u think all our politicians are saints? jack Layton anyone? he was deified. remember john edwards? campaigned touting his fidelity to his (cancer-stricken) wife as a key character trait of a good pol.. meanwhile he was diddling a woman on his staff. he knocked her up & the media quelched it. we found out because a well-known publication got pics of his tryst with rielle hunter & won a pulitzer for it – the national enquirer! we actually got the truth only from the national enquirer! so how bad is the media when only the dirty laundry of conservatives is aired? I think we’re naïve to think people don’t make mistakes or have vices.
        the high & mighty in t.o. paid $5000 a plate not too long ago to hear bill clinton lecture them about family values. no kidding.
        i’d vote for a guy who smoked crack once & drinks from time to time (as longs as he cuts taxes & is fiscally responsible). liberals vote for those guys all the time. doesn’t bother them unless he plays for another team.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Ah, the “because other people have behaved badly we should give up demanding that our politicians should be law abiding citizens” defence. Well played. Does it lead to the “why can’t he be mayor from jail” proposition? Why on earth would we expect that people that aspire to the highest offices in our city, province or country be expected to repress those nasty urges and behave themselves at a level commensurate with the office they seek? Silly thought.

• NCRhabsfan says:

I think his defence of being too drunk to remember is particularly compelling. When I’m deciding who to vote for I usually look for the guy that gets so drunk regularly that he cannot remember which night he was filmed smoking crack cocaine while uttering racial slurs. How could those attributes not be a good thing for the guy running the city?

• habcertain says:

he is exactly like Barry, what part of smoking crack is confusing?

16. Bripro says:

I have to say… White was a disappointment last year.
    Stupid penalties, brain-dead mouthing off and poor judgement.
    He’s much better this year.
    Actually fits the 4th line mould.
    And who knows what St Pierre can deliver until we see him play.
    As for Parros, he seems slow on his skates, but I’m certain that he’ll use his intimidation card.
    This might be a troublesome line for the opposition.
    Here’s hoping…

• shiram says:

We had already seen that White could provide quality minutes for a 4th line, but for some reason, last season he was just going bonkers.
      Maybe that’s one horse Therrien managed to break in correctly.

• commandant says:

White isn’t taking penalties this year, but I don’t think he’s playing well.

He’s one of the first I’d scratch when this team is healthy, he really doesn’t provide much. I’d rather make sure Bournival and Leblanc stay in the lineup. Prust, Moen, and Murray can handle any rough stuff and Parros can play if we face a real tough team.

I don’t see White’s spot on a fully healthy club.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Kooch7800 says:

He has been decent in the faceoff circle and is a much better skater than Parros. You are correct though when Moen and Prust are back White is expendable. Currently though we need White and something tells me this isn’t the last time Prust goes down with an injury this season

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

17. sheds88 says:

Rob ford : The People’s Mayor

18. habs-hampton says:

This is definitely an upgrade. St. Pierre gets, on average 1 point every 5 NHL games and is MUCH bigger than DD.

19. TheDagger says:

Also seen, the Mayor of Vancouver has reportedly been seen smoking a salmon.

20. Maritime Ronn says:

That 4th line has to be a big concern.
    Here’s hoping Parros sees limited action and Coach MT gives some extra shifts to Gallagher, Gionta, or Bourque.

If not, a team like the Blues will do what Minnesota did.
    Having the last change at home should help.

Then again, all will depend on penalties/specialty teams.

21. Mattyleg says:

Cripes!
    Crack-Daddy is the #1 breaking story on the BBC News website!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

22. Storman says:

Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair releases this video of one of Rob Ford’s drunken stupor DUI episodes,,

23. jedimyrmidon says:

Commandant mentioned on the previous thread how McCarron isn’t producing. He didn’t mention that McCarron has been playing injured for the past 10 games or so with a separated shoulder – not very good for development.

24. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Took long enough…however that fourth line looks terrible. Can’t wait for Prust and Emelin to come back.

25. Alex_425 says:

Introducing, the all-new, Ford Freebase.

With a focus on increased internal temperature, a brand-new dilated design, raised interior pressure, and a high point in modern engineering.

Your muscles will twitch. Your heart will race. You’ll feel on top of the world. And it will take your breath away.

So drive away in the all-new Ford Freebase… and you can own the city.

But I’m no expert….

26. TheDagger says:

Best part of the Rob Ford press conference. Only 7 seconds long, but says it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UrDvruoubA

27. The Jackal says:

Rob Ford after winning election:
    “Put that in your pipes and smoke it, ya left-wing kooks!”

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

28. Stevie.Ray says:

Now who are we going to scapegoat!

Tony Marinaro isn’t going to have anything to talk about tomorrow

Wouldn’t be surprised if in the next civic election in T.O. we find out The Toronto Star is Rob Ford’s biggest financial supporter. This guy is like a lottery ticket for that paper. Given I have a few friends working at The Star, I need to throw my support 100% behind Mr. Ford.

• donmarco says:

Since I live in Montreal, I really hope he’s voted back into office. The dude is a gold mine

• Alex_425 says:

Yeah, no kidding. People in Toronto can say WHATEVER they want in regards to the whole Montreal vs. Toronto rivalry, Hockey or not, but as long as THAT guy is in office, I can always fall back on “Oh yeah? Well, Rob Ford, dude.”

But I’m no expert….

30. Mattyleg says:

Hey, sorry for interrupting Fordageddon, but did anyone see the quote I posted below from Ken Hitchcock?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Yup, also listened to TSN radio here at lunch and the host was trying to stir up the PK pot with Jeff O’Neill and Jamie Mclennan. Interesting both players had no issues with how MT was handling PK and said they saw their coaches call out the best players all the time as well if mistakes were being made.

Very odd……

• donmarco says:

Since PK has no problem with how MT is handling him, why is this even really a story?

• The Jackal says:

Because of misinterpretation and jumping to conclusions. Also lack of knowledge being compensated for by inferring wrongly from media tidbits and 24CH.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• donmarco says:

We’re the ones speculating and jumping to conclusions. I don’t see any rift between PK and MT and I doubt there is one. Media can be so irritating making stories where stories don’t exist. I just don’t want it to become a self fulfilling prophecy.

• The Jackal says:

Exactly, the fans are jumping to conclusion and the media is running with the fan speculation because it is something fans seem interested about. Yet it’s just another non-issue that is being made into one. It’s dumb and pointless to keep talking about it. No one in the hockey world thinks there is a problem.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, just doesn’t add up.
        (whips out calculator, types in 55378008 and turns it upside down)

Hahahaha!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• donmarco says:

Yes, but look what you’re up against? You should repost after the commentariat stops laughing.

• Mattyleg says:

Ehh, you’re right.
        ;)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• donmarco says:

But Hitchcock was right. It’s a coaches job to build the foundation for a player to build on, and not to be a cheerleader.

• Mattyleg says:

That’s my take on it too.
            I HATE it when coaches call players by their nick-names.
            They are not your friends. They are your subordinates.
            Ron Wilson was the worst for that.
            And where is he now?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

31. Storman says:

Rob Ford says he does not have a drug problem, as he makes enough money as Mayor.

32. Ozmodiar says:

I don’t know how entertaining the game will be tonight, but we’ve got a perfect storm a brewin’ for Boone’s ALN column. Now THAT should be entertaining!!

33. TheDagger says:

Presser from MB: “I admit to signing David Desharnais in one of my drunken stupors.”

34. Mattyleg says:

Guys, give the guy a break.
    He’s admitted his mistakes.
    People have been really hard on him for a while now as he’s tried to continue doing his job to the best of his abilities, and he’s tried to reassure the people who showed confidence in him…

He’s got a problem, he needs to seek some help.
    Let’s all get behind him during this difficult time.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. hockeyscout101 says:

DD scratched about freaking time..

I like the 4th line with St. Pierre..he will have some much needed energy tonight and pumped for his first game as a Hab.

Yes I know there is a big non fight sentiment on here but look for Parros to fight Reaves to keep St. Louis and Lapierre in line. I want Parros to score a few goals as well!! lol.. White may tangle with Stewart but I highly doubt it. Stewart may have no fighting partner tonight.

36. Storman says:

In other news Rob Ford eats David Desharnais in one off his drunken stupors..

37. The Dude says:

This just in….Mayor Rob Ford says he can end the Civil War in Syria
    if they send a big Shipment of CRACK to that Country?

38. habsfan0 says:

Toronto mayor Rob Ford has admitted to smoking crack cocaine.
    This is almost as big a news item as DD being benched.

39. Storman says:

LMFAO Yes i did smoke crack cocaine,,, LOL LOL in one of my drunken stupors,,

Man i want one of these Mayor jobs..

40. Mattyleg says:

Wow!
    Hitch weighs in (hey! no laughing, it’s a standard expression!) on MT and Subban!

Lohn Lu tweet:
    #Blues Hitchcock offers a metaphor on #Habs Therrien handling Subban: “There’s enough people building statues & monuments to players our job (as coaches) is to build a pedestal (a strong foundation). The foundation is being built.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

41. donmarco says:

I just don’t get the glee with which many posters are greeting the DD news. Does he deserve to be benched? Of course he does. But here’s a kid that has had to overcome more obstacles than most to achieve success and then, poof, it’s gone. Yeah, yeah I get the 14 million reasons why we shouldn’t feel sorry for him, but I can’t help but feel sorry for him. His confidence is shot, he looks lost with the puck and it must not be too muc fun being him these days.

I don’t think he’s been dogging it, or “mailing it in”, it just isn’t working. Hope you fix it, D.

42. Bugs says:

If Dezzy gets two points tonight while sitting in the stands; do we leave him there?

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

43. Bripro says:

Twitter world announcing discussions between MB and Stan Bowman. The names thrown out include Subban, DD (believe it or not) and Corey Crawford.

(Ok…. wait for it ….. wait for it…..
    That little spark should start a 5-alarm….)

44. FormalWare says:

DD sits. Yippee!
    Rangers and Wings both lose in reg. Hurray!
    Phoenix Coyotes keep on keeping on. Four-game win streak. WTF?!

Seriously: There has to be something almost every other franchise – including the Habs – can learn from Phoenix, about doing more with less. Of course, the Habs could never fly under the radar like the Coyotes can.

What’s their secret?

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

45. Sap Anderson says:

Word out of the Canadiens media session confirms earlier reports that the team will indeed be providing Desharnais with a booster seat as he watches the game from the press box tonight

46. The Dude says:

So I’ve seen enough this year to know it’s Trade Time and I’m wondering what’s taking M.B. sooooo long.On the other hand…Do I trust M.B. in the trade process? About as much as I trust Mayor Rob Ford around CRACK!

• shiram says:

Tough sell to trade our underperforming players for worthwhile additions.

• The Dude says:

Are they under-performing or was it a bad judgement acquiring and then sighing them ?

• DalEng says:

Exactly! everyone always wants our underperforming players traded and if they are underperforming who the hell would want them

The only team that would be even close interested in DD would be perhaps Toronto with there problems at center. I still don’t think you would get a bag of pucks for him.

• Fransaskois says:

That’s the kicker. This is a VERY fragile trade situation. Considering the implications of moving a French Canadian centre who may still be capable of putting up ~50pts, you can see why Bergevin may be hesitant. Considering he’s trying to move a 5’8 centre with little to no offensive production this season, you can see why few people would be interested.

We’re moving him for very little if anything, it’s just common sense to try and maximize your assets and give Desharnais as many chances as possible before you move him for nothing.

Soon. Maybe.

• Ron in Ottawa says:

you make it sound so easy. Trade DD and perhaps the Cube to the Pens for Crosby and Malkin. Get real. No one wants our cast offs.

47. Mattyleg says:

Man, this Rob Ford thing just gets more and more amazing:
    Doug says that the TO Police Chief is a big bad meanie who is ‘biased’ against his brother and makes unfounded claims against him.

Meanwhile, Rob admits to smoking crack.

This is rich, rich stuff up in here, people.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

48. Lil Snapper says:

I don’t care if DD makes 5 Mil or 1 mil per year, bottom is he is not playing like an NHL forward and he deserves to sit out. We all know it, now its time for him to refocus and re adjust and I say he sits 5 games til we bring him back. IF he does not improve after that, Vaya Con Dios…..oops that was the old Gomez saying.

49. Sportfan says:

I don’t know what’s more funny DD being scratched finally, or Ford saying yes he did crack :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

50. Fransaskois says:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
    Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta
    Bourque-Eller-Leblanc/Briere
    Moen-White-Prust
    (Parros)

Markov-Subban
    Emelin-Gorges
    Murray-Diaz

Price
    Budaj

I’d have to say, that’s a pretty good looking lineup…. and it’s one we could potentially see in the next couple of weeks.

51. RAM_TOUGH says:

I love how Price says he is never going to wear those pads again … LOL

Guts-Glory-Ram

52. Storman says:

In His last 42 games played including 5 playoff games DD has scored a grand total of 2 goals,, 3.5M YIKESSSSSS

• arcosenate says:

Well, something had to give, next stop Hamilton on this trajectory. Interesting that the Habs chose someone of comparable size to replace him. Is there some rule about height and weight restrictions in the new bargaining agreement?

• mushalain says:

It’s part of the habs tradition for the past 20 years to have offensive players like this. And once the spiral starts it never ends. Here’s some names that may ring a bell.

Donald Audette
      Richard Zednik
      Mike Ribiero
      Michael Ryder
      Chris Higgins
      Andrei Kostitsyn
      Scott Gomez
      Mike Cammalleri

53. mushalain says:

The next in line to ride the bench should be Francis Boullion. I still dont understand why he even gets time on the PP. Why does this guy have such a long leash? I am sick of his play with the puck. how many times do we need to see him carry the puck up the ice knowing he will just dump it in, and it happens to be the worst dump in you can make. He skates full speed to the blue line, makes a full stop, then dumps the puck while the streaking forwards lose thier momentum skating in the zone to chase the puck.

54. habs1992 says:

Go tell in on a mountain, Over the Hills and everywhere, Go tell it on a mountain that David Desharnais is BENCHED.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

55. SmartDog says:

I have to say I like these forward lines (I mean the top 3).

I think Eller with Leblanc and Bourque could be a threat. Eller knows how to make things happen. He creates space and opportunities. Pleks is a solid line, and harder to contain with a hungry Bournival, and Chucky, Gally, Patches is obviously strong.

I’m optimistic.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• shiram says:

Yeah, as long as they don’t play the 4th much, should not be too bad.

• TheDagger says:

Agreed, I’m looking forward to seeing Galchenyuk flanked by two shooters.
      And I think having Eller with Leblanc is good for LL. Most of the time he’s ever had a chance up here he was put in a role that doesn’t suit the type of player he is. Having Eller who slows the game down and tries to make things happen instead of dump and chase and grind will hopefully be good for LL.

• Ron in Ottawa says:

So if Briere comes back next, do you send Leblanc up to watch the game the game with DD and put Briere in his spot? I don’t think you start off putting him on him on 4th line.

• SmartDog says:

Let’s hope there’s no rush on Briere’s return. I’d like to think the team functions fine without him. It has to really.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

56. TheDagger says:

Briere on DD’s shoulders (or vice versa) with a trenchcoat on.
    “Mr. Nonis, we have a 6-foot tall centre for you, can shoot left or right”

57. habs1992 says:

PRAISE THE LORD, MERRY CHRISTMAS, DD IS BENCHED!!!!!!!!

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

58. veryhabby says:

This St.Pierre guy…is he a typical 4thline grinder/energy type guy? Or is he a pro AHL offensive player type? Cause if it’s that then why even bother having him on our 4th line?

59. Dust says:

woohooo. About time!

60. veryhabby says:

Well this may put to rest the belief that MT and MTL organization cares more about French players then the play of the overall team.

Now if only we can get the conspiracy theorist to stop believing that MT wants PK out of town!

I do feel bad for DD. But when you hear the coach say he’s done everything…give him ice time, go over video, talk, etc etc…now it’s up to DD. Only he can find his old form.

Just wondering, can anyone pin point what the issue is? I mean besides that great season with PAc/Cole he still was putting up tons of numbers in ECHL, AHL, NHL till last year. Is it just that he isn’t cut out for NHL? But it took 2 seasons for it to show itself? Is it only confidence? I mean as a center, if your wingers aren’t finishing your set ups for them…what can you do? Pac and Bourque, who are finishers to different degrees, unable to help as they too aren’t tearing up the points this year.

61. B says:

Ha! Just read a tweet from Stubbs that Subban “accidentally” parked in Therrien’s underground spot yesterday for the Coach’s 50th birthday.

–Go Habs Go!–

62. WindsorHab-10 says:

I say it’s about time DD sat. TSN is making a big deal about PK going all out during practice & treating it as a real game hitting his teammates. Even MT said that PK should draw a fine line between game & practice because you don’t want to injure any of your teammates.

I Agree with MT but my problem with him is that is something that should be handled within & not in the media.

63. Max_a_million says:

Lineup looks like we are almost down to two functional lines.
    I am envisioning Eller getting a lot of penalty killing time. We could really use Prust badly to make that third line functional.

64. RAM_TOUGH says:

Montreal has been rebuilding since 1995. 5 year plan after 5 year plan. MB needs to build the team around Price, Subban, Ellar, Chucky, Gally, Patches, Bournival, Tinordi, Emelin, Beaulieu & get rid of the rest. But Price will be at the end of his contract by then. I am sick of the over the hill players the Habs always acquire. The key to building a great team is from drafting. By the time the drafted players are ready to come up the NHL the Habs will have vets in the above mentioned players to mentor the young guys.

Guts-Glory-Ram

65. Max_a_million says:

It’s not about effort. If anything he needs to relax. Some time in Hamilton might do him some good if he could handle it well.

Hey Luke… as you were holding me back… it felt nice. Warm.

Hey, breaking news from HIO. DD is out of the lineup tonight, everybody.

68. secretdragonfly says:

Let’s hope this is the incentive Davey needs to step up his game, à la Eller.

• Bill says:

If he could just step up his game, he would. He’s completely lost confidence. It’s so weird, because he had to believe in himself so much to get where he is. He needs to get that back.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• shiram says:

Habs got sports therapists and all kinds of doctors to help players out, I know Eller said it was a great help for him.
        Have to hope DD is not afraid to ask for help in those places too.

• Habfan10912 says:

As a fan I hope so as well, Secret. I guess the question now is where he fits. With Galchenyuk, Eller and Pleks there may not be a spot for him. He surely is not a typical 4th liner and I suspect he’d have issues on the wing as well.
      CHeers!

69. Luke says:

I held back Timo. I did. For you.
    And where were you?
    I’m so disappointed.

70. karpen33 says:

First time been first

71. The Jackal says:

Put on a few extra pounds? DD lost fat during the summer and he is actually faster this year than he was before.

It’s a matter of confidence, not lack of speed or grit. If you remember correctly, DD was always in the dirty areas. He still battles but he has no faith in his game. When he gets that back, he will be just as good if not better. Whether or not that is with the Habs is another question.

As for Briere? He’s already proven you wrong. He’s in decline but it is not because of his physical attributes or talent, but because of his age and wear and tear. The stuff is still there, but this may not be the best team for him to excel in. Nevertheless, he’s always been a clutch player and an offensive threat, and if he is healthy and has a shot here, he will most certainly earn his minutes.

So in short, no, the NHL and the sport that is hockey has not passed these two players. They have years left in them yet. What is true is that they may not fit in with THIS particular team, but they have a lot to contribute and it would only be good if it was with the Habs. The thing is that there are younger players who show a lot of promise who are now pushing them out, but they are not past their NHL years.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

72. Steeltown Hab says:

” DD was always in the dirty areas. He still battles but he has no faith in his game. When he gets that back, he will be just as good if not better. Whether or not that is with the Habs is another question.”

No team will take him at this point unless we retain minimum 2 Mil, I doubt he’ll ever come anywhere close to his 60 pt year unless he’s playing with 2 powerforwards on a mission to have career years.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

73. The Jackal says:

Well that’s not true either. Talent does not vanish and neither does a player’s ability. It is just a matter of confidence. He had a slump, once teams began smothering him, he had to adapt and it took time, but he has continued to work hard. This season, his line has created opportunities but he has been unable to bury them – he is doing the right things but he is thinking too much.

Teams that need a centre would not hesitate on acquiring DD for the right price, which at the moment is probably a 3rd rounder. But in the end, DD failing is bad for the team. They lose him for a low pick and that’s it. DD still has it and just needs to focus and keep it simple. Some games from the pressbox may help him out.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

74. NCRhabsfan says:

Actually, that’s not true either. A player’s physical ability does disappear; not all at once perhaps, but time and wear take their toll. The difference between success and failure at elite levels like the NHL, is often the difference between the millisecond when you’re by a bigger players and the extra millisecond where he is plastering you into the boards. When you “know” you can get around him, you do, when you think you can you probably can’t. The combination of a lost 1/10th of a step and the loss of confidence because a player has doubts he can make it has ended lots of careers. Sometimes players adapt their games and become different players late in their careers than they were earlier. In the modern NHL with salary caps, it is less likely a lot of those players will have a chance to prolong their careers that way because their salaries make them too expensive to keep in a different role. If DD isn’t putting up a lot of points, does he have $4M in value? I would love to see him setting the world on fire, but I would also like to see the same six numbers on my lottery ticket as tumbled out of the lottery machine. I’m thinking the odds of me winning 6/49 and DD re-establishing himself as a player worth $4M are about the same. I would love to be wrong on both counts.