Desharnais gets four-year, $14-million deal

The Canadiens announced on Friday morning that they have signed centre David Desharnais, 26, to a four-year contract extension worth $14 million. The deal will kick in next season and run through 2016-17.

In 27 games this season, the 5-foot-7, 177-pound Desharnais has 8-8-16 totals and is minus-2.

David Desharnais is a talented young player and his contribution is essential to the success of our team,” general manager Marc Bergevin said in a news release. “David has shown perseverance and determination which enabled him to reach the NHL and succeed. He has earned this contract extension and the Canadiens organization is pleased to have secured his services for many years to come.”

Said coach Michel Therrien: “David deserves everything that’s happening to him. We’re pleased to have a good guy like that on our team.”

Tweeted teammate Brandon Prust (@BrandonPrust8): “Congrats to Davey Desharnais on his new deal. Habs future is looking great!.. Good thing I’m not gm I woulda gave the guy 20 mill!”

Tweeted Josh Gorges (@jgorges26): “Congrats to #DD on signing with the #Canadiens for 4 more years!!! Great day for both #Habs and Davy #wheresdinner”

In other moves Friday, the Canadiens assigned forward Petteri Nokelainen to the Hamilton Bulldogs after he cleared NHL waivers and called up Michael Blunden, who had 10-12-22 totals in 54 games with the Bulldogs. Blunden will replace Michael Ryder, who is sidelined with a lower-body injury.

Desharnais, a native of Laurier-Station, was never drafted and joined the Canadiens as  a free agent in November 2008. In 157 career NHL games, he has 32-67-99 totals and is plus-4.

Desharnais was on the ice for practice Friday morning in Brossard as the Canadiens prepared for Saturday’s game in New Jersey against the Devils (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Also on the ice was defenceman Jarred Tinordi, the Canadiens’ first-round draft pick in 2010, who was called up from the Hamilton Bulldogs on Thursday and will make his NHL debut Saturday with Francis Bouillon as his partner. Tinordi will wear No. 42.

The other defence pairings at practice were: Markov-Emelin; Gorges-Subban.

Forward lines were: Ryder-Plekanec-Gionta; Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher; Galchenyuk-Eller-Dumont; Moen-White-Armstrong.

Carey Price will start in goal against the Devils.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs GM Bergevin making all the right moves, by Stu Cowan

Owner Geoff Molson proud to watch his new-look Habs, by Stu Cowan

Crosby would like to see NHL team in Quebec City, by Stu Cowan

1,023 Comments

1. Bripro says:

I think I’ll take tonight’s winnings (all $6.00) to go get completely plastered for Saint Patties. Just as long as there’s no residual effects for tomorrow night’s game.
    Whether you’re Irish or not….

HAPPY SAINT PATRICK’S …. to everybody!
    Cheers!

2. Sportfan says:

Personally I hope Tinordi doesn’t fight anytime soon would suck to have him play a few shifts then bam injured hand

• Luke says:

Or worse, concussion.

• Ian Cobb says:

He is not being brought up to fight, he is being brought up to see how far along in his development he has come. Can he keep up to the speed yet, can he do the job needed on the back end.

He has size to fend off Price’s net crashers, but fight! no. Not for a while. He is still a large kid, but very green.

Fighting does not win hockey games, but it deters people taking liberties with our speed players. Philly, Boston and Toronto style is not the culture or kind of game Marc Bergevin wants in Mtl.

3. Say Ash says:

Gallagher
    Gionta
    Subban
    Armstrong
    Diaz
    Ryder
    Weber
    White
    Dumont
    and now Blunden

Is it me or do we have an unusually high number of right-handers?

4. Luke says:

Can MT, just for me, start a game with the line of

Gallagher – Desharnais – Gionta

Just one shift.

It’d be epic. Like a throw back to “big” lines of the 40s.

5. Maksimir says:

Hmm… getting a little worried now.. not that I don’t like Blunden – I was hoping he would get a shot this season but our forward lines are now missing Bourque, Ryder and Prust… starting to get too thin for my liking.

I’m guessing Blunden will go fourth line with White & Armstrong while Moen goes up with Pleks & Gio?

Front will have an extra special St. Paddy’s day in the afterglow of Sweet Hands Blunden in the lineup!

7. deuce6 says:

Ryder out for NJ game..

John Bartlett ‏@BartsBytes

#Habs Michael Ryder will miss trip to NJ with a lower body injury. Michael Blunden recalled and will join team in NJ.

——————
    Brandon Prust doesn’t have hair on his testicles, because hair does not grow on steel….

8. Bripro says:

Here are some actual hand-written signs found in various NHL arenas.
    I wish I could find the link.
    Most are from young attractive (or semi) women:

– I’d give a kidney to make out with Sidney

– Crosby, show me a hat trick and I’ll show you a sex trick

– Put it in my five hole, Sidney

– Are you pregnant ref? Because you missed two periods.

– I wish I only got 2 minutes for hooking.

– Erik and Daniel, meet us behind the zamboni.

-(this one I really like) – Souvenirs ($150), Tickets (
    $250), Hotel & Beer ($500), Wives at home…pricele$$.

– You give me egg roll, me love you long time.

– Hey ref, does your wife know you’re screwing us?

– Hello Chelios, my grandma is single.

• Loonie says:

I coached a game once and the opposing team’s assistance coach asked the official if his wife knew that he liked to screw boys.

Didn’t go over so well.

• Habfan10912 says:

I wish I only got 2 minutes for hooking is my favorite. Thanks for the laugh Bri. Everybody doing OK?

• Bripro says:

Coming around Jim. I think Fez, our cat, misses his day’s companion more than I do. He hasn’t stopped meowing since tuesday.
        My grandson doesn’t understand where Maggie’s gone.
        We’re all good.
        Cheers buddy!

9. HFL says:

I think this deal is great! This guy works hard, great back checker, he is able to keep cycles going with his shifty and quick movements along the boards, able to make plays and has great chemistry with our leading goal scorer. Man MB just keeps impressing me.

10. Dr.Rex says:

Random Friday Thoughts:
    1) Although I cam not a huge fan of DD I think it is a fair deal on both ends. Not just because it is a manageable cap hit but it is also a tradeable asset if needed. Gone are the days of losing assets for nothing.
    2) It’s quite clear that the biggest reason the Halak backers want him back is so we can propose everybody’s favorite old rumor of Halak, Ryder and a 2nd for…….
    3) IF Tinordi can prove his worth in this stint he could easily find himself as a regular for the home stretch.
    4) With his recent surge it looks like my wishes of landing Chris Stewart are pretty much flushed.
    5) OF the following players which one would be the most realistic to land before the deadline: Robidas, Clarkson, Glenncross.

Hey man be fair.

I was tickled when Halak was traded and championed the Halak and a 2nd for(insert name) proposals.

I don’t want him back either. But with Jake Allen’s emergence he could probably be had for a third round pick.

• Timo says:

I don’t think there’ll be any significant moves come trade deadline, if any.

• Mick says:

Let’s hope some fool will take kaberle’s contract.

• Strummer says:

People don’t take contracts like Kaberle’s because they are foolish.
          It’s because they are desprate for help at that position, and it doesn’t compromise their cap room.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Mick says:

Gauthier taking his contract off of the Hurricanes when they talked about sending him down to the minors was foolish.

• donmarco says:

Just call 1 800 ISLANDERS. They’d probably sign him to an extension.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

1) Agree.
      2) Who cares about Halak backers…
      3) If all D are healthy, will be tough to start but will stick around for sure.
      4) Don’t think MB was interested anyway.
      5) Don’t think any are available…

11. Hobie Hansen says:

If we all agreed on everything, this site wouldn’t be what it is today! I hope everyone has a great St. Patrick’s day weekend! Be safe if you’re in Montreal!

Make sure there’s enough green puke on the ground that it ruins people’s shoes heading to work on Monday morning!

12. donmarco says:

Here’s why I really like this move. With DD signed Habs have no significant UFA’s or RFA’s coming up after the season so the core is intact. As of today Habs have 18 players signed for next year with 8 M in cap space. After Kaberle buy out they’ll have 17 signed with over 12 M in cap space. Max roster is 23, so that means MB has to sign 6 players for 12 M. Now the Cole trade is looking brilliant, IMO. Top 4-5 on defence are signed as well as most of the current starting forwards. More than enough cash to make an aggressive move or 2 with the bumper crop of FA’s coming up. This is one really smart GM.

13. Mick says:

Does Tinordi drop the gloves against the Devils and if he does who do the devils have that will go with him?

Posting from phone, how does Luke always know where I am? You don’t know my boss do you?

15. Cardiac says:

David Desharnais could potentially be like Cliff Ronning, who was 5’7 170lbs.

Ronning consistently put up 50-60 points during his long career. Of course if I remember correctly, he played with Bure while in Vancouver. But still…

– Jerry Maguire

HIO has a logjam of provactive say the same thing over and over again wanting to be the centre of attention and contributing lttle more than driving up the page hits commentators. Loonie has just been traded to Pension Plan Puppets.

17. krob1000 says:

Anyone think Timmins draft record is prohibiting the team from trading spare parts for late round picks? If you take one of the Habs spare parts and Timimns turns it into Jaro Halak, Sergei Kostitsyn, Diaz, Streit or someone like that you sure look bad.

• Luke says:

I don’t think Timmins gets credit for Diaz.

The (Pro?) Scout – Europe would have found him. Signed as a FA.
      Edit: But that’s me njust being nit-picky, so apologies.

18. B says:

A letter from today’s Gazette:

As the Habs renew with their winning tradition of another era, it is Lars Eller who is the avatar. He is a centreman in the mould of Béliveau. The previous administration has justifiably taken a lot of heat for underachieving, but they certainly got it right when they chose Eller.

Howard M. Greenfield

Montreal

–Go Habs Go!–

19. habsfan0 says:

The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded centre David Steckel to the Anaheim Ducks.
    In exchange for Steckel, the Leafs obtained right-winger Ryan Lasch and Anaheim’s seventh-round pick in the 2014 NHL entry draft.

With this move, the Leafs have firmly established themselves as prohibitive Stanley Cup favourites.

20. punkster says:

We traded the wrong goalie.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

21. mrhabby says:

Iginla to Habs for Moen, Nathan B and a 2nd rounder.

22. Luke says:

Man (or Woman), this site sure comes off the rails quickly.

Thankfully it’s Beer Day, on Beersiest of Weekends, and I get to start mine off early… I bet Burl is already drinking though.

So you are all on notice. You have 1 & a half hours to get this thing from its current level of “Crazy” all the way to “Leaf Fans”

and… begin:

• krob1000 says:

But which beer are you gonna drink?
      A smallish beer that is good now but will cost you for 4 years?
      An aging beer that is the best beer you can curerntly drink but may go skunky in a few years?
      A beer that has developed into a beer that is realy good tasting and reasonalby priced…is a larger beer and just may be as good as your aging beer?
      A beer that could be the awesomest of awesomest but is currently being brewed but may not be at its best for a year or two?

jk

• Luke says:

Probably a black beer this weekend. But, while I really enjoy it, I’ll talk about how I would rather it was less bold and flavourful.

• The Jackal says:

HA! That’s pretty good comment man.

Today I’m going to drink a Keith’s. I guess that is like the smallish beer, it does the job, tastes good, but is not as refined or high end as other beers, but it is definitely more affordable. Usually underrated or overrated.

Later, I’m going to drink Beau’s Lug Tread Lager. A fairly new beer that has developed into a really good tasting and overall quality beer that can do it all, and is reasonably priced. It may be as good as the higher end beers.

• BrianSkrudland says:

I loaded a couple nice bottles of Lug Tread into the fridge this morning myself. Can’t wait to get home!

——–
          Daily recommendations for March 15
          Song of the Day: Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones)
          Movie of the Day: The Great Escape

• mrhabby says:

Old Speckle Hen…its great.

• Lafleurguy says:

krobonethousand, how about a pricey beer that’s good in most places but not in bars where the shooters are ordered up by Islanders and Penguins?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• krob1000 says:

ahh..one of my favourite beers…it is an evloving beer FYIi as well…used to not be good in bars where shooters were Leafs either…but next time around this evloving yet pricey beer will be good….even to Islanders and Penguins..you will see…maybe even see double depending how much you drink.

• donmarco says:

Ah, but you forgot the long term visionary beer drinker. Maybe he’ll grow his own wheat and plan for a great beer in 2-3 years.

• Rugger says:

Actually read yesterday that Cinco de MAyo has passed St. Paddy’s as the Beeriest of days!

23. The Jackal says:

With this logjam at centre, let’s go ahead and stack the team with wingers that are all talented. Re-sign Kovalev, bring back AK, and trade Price for Semin. Now we’ll have 4 scoring lines. YEAH!

24. krob1000 says:

Can someone explain to me why on a team that is leading the conference a coach would care more about developing his youngest player as a center than icing the strongest possible lineup?
    I get it if you are the Oilers and in complete rebuild mode…but whose mintues and position are you going to take away for him to play center?
    Some quotes refer to Galchenyuk’s production before the move…how aobut we look at what really matters?
    HOW MANY GAMES HAVE BEEN LOST SINCE GALCHENYUK MOVED TO THE WING????

• Loonie says:

For a guy who’s accused everyone who’s disagreed with him of missing the point you sure don’t seem to have a handle on what they’re saying.

There will come a time when Galchenyuk is ready to play centre. And if, when that happens this team keeps him on the wing for the sake of preserving three trios centred by Plekanec, Eller and Desharnais it will be failing the team.

Not today, not tomorrow, not yesterday, not in a month. When he’s ready.

You know just as well as anyone else who has a clue about hockey that putting an elite puck distributor who also happens to be immensely creative offensively at centre is to put him in the best position for both him and the team.

• Luke says:

And when Galch is ready to play centre full time, you move him to centre and sort it out then.

• Loonie says:

Sitting in front of a computer or phone and saying it is easier than doing it.

It appears that this team has made a commitment to both Galchenyuk and Desharnais.

It’s incredibly likely, that as a result of this contract, that Plekanec or Eller will be traded in the not so distant future.

• Luke says:

Oh it definitely is! Hahaha

But it locks the centre position for the next two years. MB has a clear picture of what he has and what he is working with.

At present he has 2 definitive centres. DD & TP.

He also has AG & LE who are the 3rd centres in the mix; and a Winger (depending on the day…).

He & MT now have time to evaluate those two, see how they fit with out worrying if they are losing DD in a year or so.

And hey, lets be honest… AG is a lock, so we are talking about Eller, Desharnais and Plekanec… not Crosby, Malkin and Staal…

(Remember yesterday when I said I didn’t like out mix at centre… hahaha)
            Anyways, here’s what I see in two/three years:

1. Galch
            2. DD
            3. Eller
            Someone (that fans are giddy about saying he should get the time Eller or DD are getting).

A situation very similar to today’s, but with a premier #1 in AG, and then 2a & 2b in DD/Eller. With Eller filling more of the Plecky role.
            I love Pleks but the DD contract probaly makes him the next to move (and DD’s contract length does provide insurance incase TP went to free agency, I think).

• krob1000 says:

well if i have misinterpeted the debate then my bad…but the way I read it was you and he were upset that he wasn’t being developed at center instead of icing the best possible team. The quotes you referenced were mine and the stats you quoted were this years. Well this is no fun anymore…I thought we had a good ol debate to replace Halak/Price, DD/Eller, Ryder/Cole, Lager/Ale

• jedimyrmidon says:

My specific comments were most certainly not about this season.

They were aimed towards next season (perhaps around the midway mark? A total ballpark guess) through to the end of DD’s contract.

Edit: as Loonie wrote above, ‘when he’s ready’, which, in my opinion, is mostly likely to occur sometime next season and will almost certainly happen sometime during DD’s contract period.

25. Bill says:

Loonie: I don’t think you’re dishonest, I think you have a secret deal with HIO to drive up hits and ad revenue

• Loonie says:

If there is such a deal I hope the dough’s in the mail. I haven’t seen any of it.

Edit: If I really wanted to stir up some crap I’d speculate that Desharnais only got his deal due to his birthplace. But that wouldn’t be fair to him because he’s a great story and earned this.

• The Jackal says:

Hey, if you get that deal, maybe you can chill at the saloon all day with front and his evil barkeep.

I always wonder what he does to sit at the saloon all day.

• Hobie Hansen says:

He’s the Eddie Shack of this site. I picture Loonie skating backwards with every HIO member tripping over themselves and the officials trying to get at him.

• Lafleurguy says:

Loonie is Eddie Shack! Holy Smokes! Now that’s an announcement worth blowing smoke!

• Un Canadien errant says:

That may be one of the most cutting insults uttered on this site. Eddie Shack. This was a little before my time, but my father tells me John Ferguson would regularly put a collar and leash on her and take her out for walks.

• Lafleurguy says:

You’re younger than I thought. With due respect to your father, Eddie was alright. He did a “Glad” commercial before there was a “Man from Glad.” The “Entertainer” was quite funny in that old black and white.

“May you live in interesting times.”

26. durocher says:

Any chance St-Denis gets to show his stuff with the big club, much in the same way Pateryn and Tinordi have had a chance? True, he’s not big, and he’s not a right-handed shot, but I thought St-Denis played a simple, solid game when he was with the club last season.

27. B says:

The top 2 scorers in the NCAA, Carey and Walters, are both undrafted and unsigned juniors. Carey looks like a serious goal scorer. I wonder if either of these two will make the jump after this season?

–Go Habs Go!–

28. Stevie.Ray says:

I don’t know what’s going to happen with our depth at center, but this is a real good deal for a guy who has proved he can succeed in the NHL. And if he can’t, then its a real easy contract to move

• otisfxu says:

An easy contract to move??? Please tell me what teams are beating down the doors for a 5’7′” center at 3.5M per year.

No GM’s out there looking for a top line center has Desharnais on their list. Guaranteed. We’re stuck with him.

But as one poster said below, Pacs says he his the best player he has ever played with,,,,,,,,,,,,that would mean something except Pacs has only played with Habs of the last 3 seasons,,,,,that bar is not very high.

29. Dunboyne Mike says:

habsfan0!
    Another GREAT addition to the Ides of March discussion. Check it out!

30. Welks says:

I think I would rather have 4 2nd line centres than 1 first line Center and a bunch of 3 and fours. It is much easier to shit down one line than it is to shut down 3.

31. jedimyrmidon says:

I don’t like talk about playing Galchenyuk at wing for years on end with some posters saying that he struggled at center (?! have no clue where they got that from; he was misused during the WJCs and was forced to play with a plug, Sean Kuraly, as his center).

He really has few weaknesses in his game and, on the other hand, has so many strengths meaning that he is perfectly suited to becoming an elite center in the NHL.

It would be a mistake for the Habs to keep him on the wing just t accommodate other players.

This brings up the center dilemma: I would rather have Pleks-Galchenyuk-Eller down the road than Pleks-Galchenyuk-DD. The latter option isn’t so bad if Pleks were at a point in his career where being a 3rd line center would be better and DD is still performing.

I just think that DD, while being a great offensive player, lacks versatility. He absolutely needs some pretty stringent playing conditions in order to be effective, something that is much less true with Eller.

DD’s contract is actually pretty good. I’m just concerned about the possibility of having to choose which centers to have in the future.

• Cal says:

The Habs will protect Chucky as long as they can while he matures. They want to put him in situations where he succeeds. Having a winning season allows the coach to pick and choose where best to play him.

• jedimyrmidon says:

As someone pointed out earlier, Galchenyuk was actually producing at center this season in the NHL. And sure, for this season, I can understand keeping him at wing and I wasn’t ‘complaining’ about that.

But, even as early as next season, Galchenyuk would ideally be grown into his role as an NHL center.

Going back to Galchenyuk playing on the wing this season in junior, it was because Charles Sarault can only play center (he’s the OHL’s leading scorer, but look at his number of assists vs. goals). Galchenyuk, being a lot more versatile, could slot over to the wing and dominate from there – he was tied for goal scoring lead in the OHL by the time he left for the WJCs and probably had the 2nd most assists in the OHL.

But in the NHL, he will have to adapt to the center role, which will obviously require him to play center.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The sequence of events was that he did produce effectively at centre at first, but then tapered off. Michel “On a pas l’temps d’niaiser” Therrien quickly muted him to the wing and put Lars at centre at that point. Alex is still struggling to produce offensively, although he’s still skating strongly and getting chances. So while the numbers make it look like he was more effective at centre, it’s not exactly so.

• krob1000 says:

EXACTLY..and what is the teams record since that move?
            Because it was the right move.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Very true.

Inconsistency in a rookie (doubly true in Galchenyuk’s case) is almost unavoidable unless you’re Sidney Crosby. As you mentioned, he hasn’t exactly been more productive on the wing either. I just interpret the situation as Galchenyuk being able to play center, but Lars is a better option and, frankly, that’s perfectly fine because Eller has received the short end of the stick development-wise at center as well in terms of playing with guys that can play in an offensive role.

• John Frodo says:

• Loonie says:

You’ve got it all wrong. To make our players who need no fictional inflation of their relative values look better we need to trash Galchenyuk and pretend like he doesn’t have an elite skill set. We also need to acknowledge that even though he’s likely to be ready for full-time duty as a centreman within the next year that it would be much better for this team to leave lesser quality centremen in place than it would be to have our most skilled player playing the most important and versatile role at forward.

Let’s build the team around Desharnais, Eller and Plekanec, not Galchenyuk.

• Cal says:

Yeah, everyone’s trashing Chucky’s skill set. Riiiiight!

• Loonie says:

Take a look at the comments Cal.

– It’s been said he struggled at center in junior which laughably couldn’t be further than the truth.

– He’s going to need 2-3 years to add strength. This comment about a kid who came back early from ACL surgery at age 18.

– He’s not as strong defensively as the other centers. He’s as good defensively if not better than the guy who is the main topic on this thread.

Justifications for leaving him on the wing.

• Cal says:

I agree he does need more time to develop into the role. With the relative depth at center, the Habs have an opportunity to keep the pressure on the veterans and not on him. Hell, if he shows he’s ready to be the #1 or 2 center by next season’s camp, so be it. Then, there will be movement on the center front.

We really shouldn’t be too critical about how the Habs are bringing him along.

• Loonie says:

I agree Cal. I don’t have issue with him being on the wing this season. But the idea of keeping him on the wing just to maintain the current state of affairs at the position is ludicrous.

He’s the most skilled player on the team and should be put in the position that gets the most out of his abilities when he’s ready for it.

• krob1000 says:

Tom…I know you are a coach…and I know that you understand the importance of the other side of the puck…you have demonstrated that with your takes on both Pleks and Eller. Why is Galchnyuk immune to that assessment? Because of his skill level? sure when he is in the role DD is currently in…then I can see it but right now surely you concede that he should not be playing center over either Pleks or Eller. Dd is currently stronger on the puck and has a better undestanding of what he can and cannot do at the speed and pressured pace of the NHL…Galchenyuk is doing what rookies do and getting a feel for that. We saw this from Eller on the offesnvie side last year. Glachenyuyk is not able to protect the puck yet long enough to make good enough use of his skill level.

I would love to see Galchenyuk and Dd battle for 25 loose pucks…right now I would say that Dd would win 15-20 of those despite the size, reach and skill advantages ALL going to Galchenyuk.
            You are taking those statements out of context , omitting the good points I made about his game and running with those…I stand by what I believe of his defensive game and forechecking game and ability to play center on a top team right now 100 percent…feel free to disagree but pulling quotes out of context and judging him differently than you yourself judge the other centers is not fair.

• jedimyrmidon says:

“…just to maintain the current state of affairs”

Yup, that’s the best way to put it. I don’t want to see Galchenyuk’s development at center to stagnate just to maintain the current state of affairs at center.

• John Frodo says:

I have serious concerns about his skating. Am I the only person in Habs nation that can see that Chucky has seriously dysfunctional propulsion dynamics. Both he and LeBlanc need months with a figure skating coach ASAP!

• The Jackal says:

Don’t know why you keep bringing this up, that’s not what people have have been saying. Everyone on this board knows Chucky is the real deal. Pretty sure he won’t be stuck at wing.

• Bill says:

When I said he struggled at centre in junior this year, I said “a bit”, meaning he had a slow start offensively at centre, but really caught fire offensively on the wing. He was blitzing the OHL on the wing actually.

No it could be that the slow start was a result of not playing for a year, obviously, but it could also be that *right now* his skills translate better on the wing.

I didn’t say for years to come or anything. Maybe another year. Maybe two even. Or not. If he’s ready to play centre next year, great. Cross that bridge when we come to it. Trade DD or trade Eller. We’ll get something good back.

Have to choose between four good centres is one of those good problems to have.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• jedimyrmidon says:

Okay, sorry I made it sound overblown, lol (though in some other peoples’ case, it really isn’t overblown).

I should have addressed the OHL wing aspect here:
        – Sarault, a very good overage center, cannot play on the wing.
        – To create a stacked top line, Jacques Beaulieu put Sarault at center with Galchenyuk and Boucher on the wings.
        – Galchenyuk, being an excellent player, put up very good numbers, both as a goal scorer and as a playmaker (assists)
        – at center, Galchenyuk’s linemates couldn’t keep up with him (he wasn’t with Boucher and Sarault at this point); he was giving them great opportunities, but they couldn’t convert (may sound like a poor excuse, a good player makes everyone better around him and all that, but I’m pretty sure that was the reality)
        – on the Sting team, there is a huge drop off in talent after Sarault, boucher and Galchenyuk; they have a very promising rookie called Goldobin, but he wasn’t playing with Gally

• krob1000 says:

Alright you win…let’s annoint him a top center right now and give him 20 minutes a game despite the fact he loses more puck battles than anyone, can’t take a faceoff against NHlers yet, isn’t strong enough to cover guys or help out down low in his own end with consistency and at the level otf a first place team. You seem to think this is a slight against him long term or even currently..it is not…it is the reality right now..at this point in time. Myself and many others do not see it changing by next season…prehaps he proves us worng..I hope so it means that he has developed magnificently but I doubt it.

No matter what is happening right now that does not detract from his skill set…what he does have right now is a well better than average release, well above average and damn near if not already elite hands, a playmaking ability that is already elite ( I have never seen anyone pass so hard and accurately..he is in fact hard to play with because guys are flat out missing his laser beam passes…that will change once they are aware he’ll always find him).

HE has strenghts that are incredible…but he has weaknesses that are not ok for a center….especially on a top team that relies on a pressureforechecking philosophy. Dd looks like a Selke winner right now vs Galchenyuk….that is scary…but h e is a friggin kid. Before your respond I am very aware of his plus/minus but much of that was with Prust and Gallagher and his spots have been picked…rightfully so.

The kid is a star in the making but there is no need to get upset when people point out the current weaknesses…if in 2 or 3 years those are still weaknesses..he just remains on the wing..doesn;t mwan his other skills will diminish. Byt ehway…I don;t see that happening.

• Loonie says:

Was there anything not hyperbolic in that post?

• Stevie.Ray says:

Most of his weaknesses at the moment I would say are issues of maturity. He is young, needs to put on some muscle, needs to continue to adjust to the speed of the NHL, and needs to learn how to contain opponents better. I think we will see slight improvements throughout this season but will be a stud next year. Why? He missed all of last year and has already played close to 70 games this year. I can imagine he is pretty mentally and physically fatigued. It must be somewhat overwhelming for him at the moment, but I bet he is learning tons. And with a summer to add some size and properly prepare for an NHL season, I see him making a big jump next year

• krob1000 says:

Exactly..and that is all I said but it is my quotes that are being used…I did and stil say I doubt by next year he is any more ready for that role. Hope he proves me wrong but even if he doesn;t he is still gonna do his thing fromt he wing.

• jedimyrmidon says:

The weaknesses you point out are weaknesses due to his youth and inexperience – and I would say he was already acquitted himself remarkably for an 18/new 19 year old who had missed a whole year of development. But his game – his skating, vision, passing, shot – virtually has no weaknesses unlike so many other players. Not only that, many of those aspects are actually strengths, which is even more rare. He isn’t a perimeter player, will go into the dirty areas, and I am convinced that in time he will be able to consistently win puck battles. Physically, he is pretty tall, and although he can certainly add some muscle, he isn’t lanky like RNH or Huberdeau.

My post wasn’t about anointing him as the #1 center this season or even next season. I just want to see him develop at center like he should, and, if the only reason he isn’t is to keep DD in the lineup, then I disagree. I consider Eller a different story because he is younger than DD, has size and mass, is versatile and also has skill.

I’m fine with DD’s cap hit, but I don’t want to see the term interfere with potentially better options for the Habs moving forward.

Edit: I should emphasize that this is down the road, NOT this season – I’m writing about during years 1.5-4 in DD’s contract.

• krob1000 says:

Am I missing something…I 100 percent agree and always have that is why his”weaknesses” are weaknesses…but the team comes first and for this season (and I believe next season) he should be a winger…..unless someone ahead of him gets injured.

• Stevie.Ray says:

Having to choose will be difficult, but I believe MT will give the best player the right amount of time. JM would put a rookie on the third line forever, but when Galchenyuk is ready he’ll get moved up the lineup. Too much depth is not a bad thing

32. Sportfan says:

Why the heck do people want to trade Pleks? He is one of our best forwards can pass shoot score good on the pp and PK i never understood why the heck anyone would want to get rid of him. He is probably one of the most underrated players out there and with the people who keep saying trade him clearly he’s going unappreciated in some peoples eyes.

• Alex_425 says:

Maybe a select few never got over the “play like a little girl” comment?

But I’m no expert….

• Loonie says:

So that we don’t have to move Desharnais or Eller is the answer to your question.

The prevailing opinion seems to be that we can acquire as many skilled forwards as possible and never have to trade any of them.

People seem to think that we can find room for all of them in prominent roles or that they’ll just be okay as minimally used role players.

The one thing that I agree with these people about is that finding the right player for the right role is a good problem to have.

• bel33 says:

+1.. talk of trading Pleks is crazy.

IF it happens… It would have to be for someone of real value in return. Obviously.

• Whatever says:

The players on the other teams who we don’t see play 60 minutes a game and 82 games a year, are always better than the players who we do see play 60 minutes a game and 82 games a year.

What’s behind door number 2?

• HabsTrueBlue says:

Agreed there is room now and in the future for pleks, galch, ellers, and desh on this team.

33. Habfan17 says:

I am glad that Bergevin has had Pateryn up and now Tinordi. It makes me think that he is looking to see if they are at the point that they would make the team next season or be able to play the rest of this one. That and the DD extension smells of a possible deal in the works. perhaps one of the current dmen and Pleks!

Habfan17

34. NL Hab says:

So what happens now? Pleks, Eller, and Chucky should be ahead of him in the depth chart. Who goes? Great problem to have.

35. Dunboyne Mike says:

Apologies if these have already been asked a few times, but what are Mr Boone’s views on:
    1) the new pope
    2) Mike Wallace to Miami.

36. Loonie says:

Eller will be Toews
    Subban will be Doughty
    Galchenyuk will be Malkin
    Price will be Roy

blah blah blah

37. Loonie says:

I can’t wait for Bournival to get here and be the next Carbonneau. That’s when we’ll win the Cup.

• fastfreddy says:

Lars Eller has the potential to become #1 centre for us.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• Habfan17 says:

That is quite the statement! With Eller, DD, Pleks, Galchenyuk and White, where does he fit in?

Habfan17

• Loonie says:

Who cares? We’ll keep everyone on our roster regardless of how much of a logjam we have at a given position because we all know that we can have our cake and eat it too.

We’re that special.

• The Jackal says:

I think everyone here is aware of the surplus of good players we are enjoying. MB knows what he is doing and will build the team to compete. Why not just enjoy the ride? There is time before moves have to be made at C. Besides, the Habs have good forwards comin’ out the escape hatch, what we should be focusing on is improving the D and the PK.

• Loonie says:

I’m enjoying the ride, but I remain realistic and would like to see our most skilled player put in the best position to succeed.

38. deuce6 says:

IDK what you guys are on, but we just got our top line center for the next 4 years at a real cheap price..I am happy about this signing…

Arpon Basu’s take:

——————

39. fastfreddy says:

Maybe I’m wrong in this assessment, but to me, this DD deal could very well spell a parting with Bryan Gionta and the Habs? Thoughts?
    CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• deuce6 says:

…and how did you come to that conclusion?

——————

• The Cat says:

Or could Galchenyuk be shipped for a seriously top level D-man?

• fastfreddy says:

Gionta, Gallagher, Desharnais, all smallish. Which one would you move? I’d move Gionta.
      CH = Les Glorieux!!!

40. Whatever says:

I’ve heard Tinordi kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were playing here, he’d consume the opponents with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

41. Habilis says:

“Rangers are looking for a couple of bottom 6 forwards with some grit.” – Pierre LeBrun

Like, say, a Brandon Prust type?

The Rangers really do seem to have regressed. Is it possible that Sather’s biggest blunder (and he’s had some doozies) was letting Prust walk?

42. shiram says:

I’m not a fan of DD, never was, but I appreciate what he brings to a team, he’s a definite part of the makeup of this Habs team and they would not have the same success without him.
    I think one of the reasons I’m not a fan of his was the constant praise he was/is getting, comparison to St-Louis, annoiting him #1, saying he is better than Plekanec and all that jazz, it always and still does ring false to me.
    Of course there’s also his detractors, just as vocal for sure, but somehow it’s easier to shut out the negatives on this place for me, must be force of habit…
    Moving forward, the Habs have a good number of centers, and while none of them are elite yet, when you combine their skill on 3 lines you get a pretty deep team, and their skillset compliment each other. It helps if one center is slumping to have 2 capable players that can step in and do good work.
    Sure the Habs will have to eventually find a spot for Galchenyuk at center, but that’s not here or now.
    We’ll have a better idea of what the team will do when the playoffs are done and with the draft.

43. Dunboyne Mike says:

COME ON, TOM!
    ANSWER MY QUESTION!
    (Sorry for shouting!)

• Lafleurguy says:

Sorry I didn’t really heard what Jeremy said, ’cause I have my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ear.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(the other one. but I already figured it’s prob a bit too speculative/psychoanalytical for your taste. Still, can there be a downside to hitting Chara in the corners all night? You won’t intimidate him, obviously. But I’m working on a theory that he’s susceptible to ill-judged retaliation).

Like your posts on DD deal, btw.

• Un Canadien errant says:

One of the things about hitting Zdeno Chara is that it’s completely ineffectual. I remember Mathieu Darche last season trying it in a game, he lined him up and tried to bodycheck him behind the goal line three times, and he literally bounced off him and landed on his butt on the ice. And Mathieu is no monster, but he’s a pretty solid guy. The RDS guys were commenting that it was useless to try to hit him like that, that at best it might make him mad or wake him up. I think unless you have Chris Pronger/Georges Laraque size, hitting the Big Z is a a waste of time. Better to skate around him and frustrate him that way.

In terms of psychological warfare, the constant booing he endures at the New Forum does seem to work though. He seems tentative and reserved when he plays there since he got away with his Great Crime thanks to Daddy Campbell, and the “extraordinarily comfortable” Gary Bettman.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I’m sure that he’s as impervious to boos as he is to the physical element in hits.

My point, perhaps not best articulated, is that he really DOES seem to resent the fact that anyone should even contemplate hitting him. “I am the league’s best Dman, and I’m huge and unethical, and I have therefore earned the right not to be hit by any of the lesser mortals I play against.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJmlt0I8gRg

Sure looks like red mist to me! Then think of Emelin and Pacs. I’m wondering whether continuous if physically ineffectual hitting would help keep him in the box. Boston’s D is very ordinary without him.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I do get that point. On the few times that he is caught unaware and a hit actually registers, he does seem to take it personally and want to retaliate immediately. I guess he’s not used to taking a licking, like other players have to be.

44. FANHABULOUS says:

I know it’s been brought up lots before, but can anyone tell me how to upload an avatar pic? Mucho thnx!

“You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

45. Alex_425 says:

I’m not worried about Eller’s immediate future here. I have a feeling that this era of Habs management is more attentive and nurturing towards our younger players, and I think we’ve seen some of that with Eller, considering how long we’ve allowed him to gel with the team, and grow as a player.

But I’m no expert….

46. lavie says:

I am not really a DD fan but I think DD deserves every penny of his contract.

47. Lafleurguy says:

No pressure on young Tinordi by bringing up Larry Robinson, below; two Norris’, one Conn Smythe (which Gretzky says should be renamed “Beliveau”), nine first-team all-star selections. I’d settle for a “Rick Green.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

48. JUST ME says:

I think it`s a good deal for both. We all saw what he is able to do and even if he is small he does not get intimidated by others and can handle the traffic.
    He has one big quality that you do not find in most players, he makes the other ones better . This alone is worth a lot.

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

…amazing all the crazy deals being discussed between GMs behind the scenes We never hear about

…mind blowing

…some as crazy and ridiculous as We read every day from some of Our Loonie Commentariat here in HIO :)

50. FANHABULOUS says:

Anyone remember when we all complained about not having enough good playmaking centers?

Remember last year when only one line could score, and the rest looked like a bunch of AHL lines thrown into a blender?

Now we have a very BALANCED and DEEP team, with scoring distributed throughout. And we have the luxury of Pleks-DD-Eller down the middle while letting Chucky gain experience and confidence at the NHL level while playing wing for the next couple of years… and if any of the above get injured, we have a solid replacement to slot in.

I think the signing is great, both for term and value… and MB sets a great market rate for the others he will need to sign down the line. GM of the year for sure, if you ask me (but then again I’m biased!)

51. Loonie says:

Many people here think I’m being dishonest but I like David Desharnais. Great story, huge heart and was excellent for this team at times when many weren’t. Just shows how professional he is.

The comparisons to Martin St. Louis are way off base. They’re completely different players. St. Louis’ best asset has always been his speed and shot. Desharnais’ best assets are his ability to protect the puck and his passing.

They couldn’t be any more different as players if they tried.

It’s like comparing Toews with Malkin just because they’re both big.

Foolish.

• FANHABULOUS says:

Regardless of their playing style, the point being made by others (and myself) is that DD is actually on par, if not ahead of, St Louis with respect to production rate when comparing them at similar ages. Who knows, maybe DD will continue increasing his productivity (as St Louis did) as he gets older over the next 4 years, which means his cap hit is an absolute steal, and a great deal by MB.

• Loonie says:

It’s a great deal for Bergevin and the Habs, not so much for Desharnais in my opinion. He left a lot of money on the table.

As for the comparisons. Point production is one thing, but the players he’s being compared to are ludicrous. Just because they’re under 5’10?

They are completely different and in the cases mentioned below are not only different in the way they play but how they’ve been played.

It’s easy to say that Desharnais’ on par with Seguin when the Bruin spent an entire season as a fourth liner and healthy scratch.

Same thing for Eller as a third liner and fourth liner.

As many people as there are lined up around the block trying to minimize Desharnais’ value, there’s a line the same size blowing sunshine up his rear end.

• FANHABULOUS says:

Again, I agree they are NOT the same type of player.

But when comparing amount of money paid to a scoring forward, point production is a key element… and in the case of St Louis and DD, neither is a physical player really, so scoring is the main tool to compare their abilities. In that regard, he is ahead of St Louis at the same age… that’s all I’m saying. He has potential to become a big point producer… as St Louis did…

“You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• Loonie says:

I think what you’re doing is good in evaluating where he fits in. But you’ve completely disregarded the mitigating circumstances with the other players in my opinion.

It’s easy to say Desharnais comes at a better value than Seguin. But the counterpoint to that is obviously Seguin’s limited role in his first season had a negative impact on his ppg totals and in addition his offensive ceiling is significantly higher than Desharnais’.

The Bruins are happier to be paying Seguin $5 million than they would be to be paying Desharnais $3.5 million.

52. shiram says:

Honest question, who was Max playing with during the IIHF 2012 tourney?

53. JF says:

Good signing. Reasonable term, comparatively modest salary. I don’t understand why people think this means the end for Eller. At the moment we have Plekanec, Desharnais, and Eller as our top three centres, with Galchenyuk waiting to take over one of the first two spots in a year or more likely two. For the moment he’s still adjusting to the NHL game, and I don’t think it’s harming him to play on the wing. Look at Tyler Seguin. Galchenyuk does well some games, but in others he seems a bit lost. The strength and timing will come. When he is really ready, one of the others will be traded, and Desharnais seems a more likely candidate than Eller.

I also like that Bergevin is dealing with these contract issues during the season, rather than waiting till the off-season as Gainey did. I’m betting this means P.K. will be signed long-term somewhere about the middle of next season.

• Habilis says:

Exactly. I’m not suggesting that this is the plan, but if anything, this contract makes DD more tradeable. A relatively low cap hit, signed for 4 years and he can play top 6 minutes.

• Loonie says:

There’s a debate to be had as to whether or not it’s in the team’s and Galchenyuk’s best interests for him to be on the wing an extended period of time.

The longer he stays on the wing, the more difficult the adjustment to centre will become.

• Phil C says:

I hope they sign Subban in the off season to a contract extension like they did with Pacioretty. I think we know what we have now.

54. Mr. Biter says:

No doubt the Elleraites are in a frenzey about this. Don’t have time to read comments right now but just guessing. Wonder what B Gally will get when his contract runs out.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

55. Habilis says:

Marc Bergevin, you sir, are a steely eyed missile man.

Love the deal, love the fact that it was signed way before DD’s contract expires.

56. Habitant in Surrey says:

…LOL !!! …back in the dayz, so Pierre Page, former GM of the Nordiques claims, Montreal bid for the rights to Eric Lindros in a deal that included Patrick Roy !

…pinch Me ! …please :)

…can We agree there would have been much blood in the St. Lawrence if that deal was ever consummated ?

• habsfan0 says:

My everlasting image of Pierre Page is him verbally blasting Mats Sundin on the bench as their Nordiques were about to be eliminated by the Habs in 1993.

• Sportfan says:

It would have been awful and who’s to say Lindros would have signed here? I was told by a guy I worked with a few years ago, that there was a possible Roy for Owen Nolan trade haha

• deuce6 says:

Yea, well..If Patrick Roy WAS in fact part of a deal to land Lindros, I would have retired my Habs Lindros jersey years ago…

——————

• Un Canadien errant says:

When the Canadiens were sniffing after the Penguins’ 1st pick overall in Mario Lemieux’s draft year, they were asked for Patrick Roy and Chris Chelios in return, among others. I still don’t know whether we should have made that trade or not.

Whenever the Canadiens were trying to make a trade, other teams wanted Saint-Patrick back. It was par for the course.

And to be fair, although we (me at the forefront) blame Réjean Houle for giving him away to the Avalanche, there are stories that in the dying days of the Serge Savard administration, that he was trying to trade Patrick also, his behaviour being ever-more disruptive.

EDIT: Just double-checked, that didn’t seem right, and obviously it wasn’t, Patrick Roy was drafted in 1984, the same year Mario was, so the Pens couldn’t have been asking for him. I do remember it was Chelios and another huge piece though, maybe someone else remembers?

57. HabsPEI31 says:

Reposting, for argument’s sake. Everybody seems so down on this extension for DD. But this is interesting:

DD has 99 points in 157 career NHL games, for 0.63 ppg.

Comparables aren’t easy, since all below were drafted and are younger:

– Tyler Seguin has played 180 games, and has 110 points, 0.61;
    – Lars Eller, 188 games, 62 points, 0.32;
    – Tyler Ennis, 166 games, 110 points, 0.66;
    – Mikael Backlund, 149 games, 52 points, 0.39;
    – Marcus Johansson, 161 games, 75 points, 0.47.

Seguin, 5.75 mill cap hit until 2018-19.
    Eller, to be resigned.
    Ennis, to be resigned, already cap hit of 2.8 mill.
    Backlund, to be resigned.
    Johansson, to be resigned.

I think it’s a damn good deal, and as much about keeping a productive duo in DD and MaxPac together, as about salary cap and team chemistry.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• habs-fan-84 says:

The majority think this is a good contract for both sides. It’s simply the vocal minority who disagree.

• HabsPEI31 says:

And for a comparable small player:

Martin St-Louis, first three seasons: 147 games, 60 points.

In his third season, DD was at 0.74 ppg.
      St-Louis was 0.51 ppg.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• TheDagger says:

Best comparison is Grabarfski. And he is making 5.5 for five years! Hell of a deal compared to that puke.

• Loonie says:

You understand that of the players you mentioned all of them other than Ennis spent a full season on a fourth line right?

You’re comparing apples to bananas.

• HabsPEI31 says:

So did DD. It wasn’t until he was moved up to centre Cole and Max that he had 1st/2nd line duties.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• Loonie says:

Desharnais had about 30 games on a third line.

You’re stretching the truth to a large degree in my opinion.

Also, it’s hilarious that you don’t acknowledge that Desharnais did on the third line what Eller’s doing right now in the same role yet you compare them in favour of Desharnais.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Loonie, your critique should focus on the facts, not the poster. It’s touchy when someone tells someone else that they’re stretching the truth, or that their post is laughable.

Plus, HabsPEI31 has a disclaimer right there in his original post, when he says that “Comparables aren’t easy, since all below were drafted and are younger”. His post is meant to be illustrative, not as scientifically airtight with all variables controlled.

• Loonie says:

This is why Desharnais is Desharnais.

He’s not St. Louis, he’s not going to be St. Louis. He’ll either finish his career as a better or worse player.

But regardless of that comparison he’ll be an effective player.

• piper says:

The only one on your list thats comparable would be Ennis and even he’s 3 years younger and 2 inches taller. The others you listed are all just bigger, younger, and better players.

• HabsPEI31 says:

Part of the point, piper. All of them are younger. All of them are bigger. Yet here we have a 26 yo, producing as he is, compared to younger, bigger, players.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• ont fan says:

He’s not 6 feet tall or a 1st round draft choice or he would have got 5 m. with his stats.

58. habsfan0 says:

March 15 turned out to be a good day for David Desharnais.

Not so much for Julius Caesar.

I believe he was cut on this date.

59. jmsheehy19 says:

DD signing an extension can only mean one thing… that DD was signed to an extension.

It does not mean Eller or Pleks are on the way out. It does not mean Galchenyuk will stay forever on the wing. It does not mean DD will finish his career here. It also does not mean we are doing a sign and trade.

It COULD end up at one of these conclusions, it could not.

It means he played well and the organization is retaining an asset. Unless one of you is Bergevin, or Thierrien, or Timmins in disguise (Commandant, got my eye on you) none of us are privy to future intentions of the club.

Four years is an eternity in today’s NHL.

In four years Price will be 30.
    MaxPac will be 29.
    Subban and Eller will be 28.
    Galchenyuk will be 23.

MB’s job is to manage around that core, both during the next four years and beyond.

61. The Jackal says:

Good for DD. Signing him doesn’t change the centre situation so I don’t see why some think moves are nigh. Maybe yes, maybe no. For now we have a very good lineup and lots of options moving forward.

Also, you must have hit Boone’s bong this morning if you think DD is here because of the language game.
    Saw some comments last page about Eller being the odd man out… not true. That’s something we don’t know and won’t know for a year or two. MB knows what he is doing, he will be taking a longer look at this centres before deciding who is who. Besides, moving Eller does not fit with MB’s logic.

As you were.

62. jeffhabfan says:

Guys I see to ways to look at the D.D. move you try to trade Pleky if he says yes with his NTC and have D.D. Eller Chucky or it stays the same as this year next year. D.D. should have got 2 years at 3.5.

• Steeltown Hab says:

I don’t like the Idea of rolling on DD Eller Galch. Only 1 can handle the defensive responsibilities. It’s important to have a vet down the middle.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

63. To HabsinBurlington, as for Tinordi being soft, I believe the rumors started when he supposedly was knocked-out in a game with the Knights. He got a black eye, but I didn’t see him being knocked out. Of course, plenty of TSN fans are ripping him because they expect him to be like Chara, big, dirty, mean, but I think Chara is very weak when playing against skilled players. We’ve undressed him more than once and apart from the head-locks and crap like Max-pac “jumping” into the Stanchion, I wouldn’t want Tinordi emulating Chara. I would love to see him be a Larry Robinson, but bigger. That is another story as Larry could skate, score and clear the net….(see me day dreaming of http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=121009)

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Loonie says:

Boston has been among the best teams defensively since Chara’s arrival and haven’t missed a beat in going from Thomas to Rask.

Chara logs huge minutes and does so at a Norris caliber level each season.

He’s not bad against opposing teams’ best players, he’s great against them.

The proof is in the pudding. Habs trail the Bruins late in the second period. Chara goes off and the Habs promptly deposit two into the Bruins’ net.

Chara is their best player and arguably the best overall defenseman in the Eastern Conference.

• 24 Cups says:

And Doug Hamilton was just voted 3rd best prospect behind Taresenko and Schultz by Future Watch.

The Bruins have re-tooled with young players while still winning a Cup. They are also presently one of the top six teams in contention for this year. Hate them if you will, but they are a formidable foe in every way.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Loonie,
        Agree with all that. How did the Senators let him go?

His Achilles heel? Could it be that despite being so good and such a veteran professional, he doesn’t always seem to be in full control of his temper/emotional state? Examples abound, most recently his costly attack on Emelin, but also the Pacioretty hit which arguably stemmed from Patches’ shove/taunt the game before. I’m also thinking of a big hit on him by Ryan O’Byrne (Youtube), knocking him over. His absolute immediate response was not to the puck but to O’Byrne whom he attacked. Went to the box.

It’s only an anecdotal theory, but what do you think? And if he IS easy to set off, should we always bang him in the corners EVERY time we have the puck in their zone?

• Dust says:

Wow the way you talk about Chara he is nothing more than a goon. Chara is one of the best DMan in the nhl. If Tinordi turned out anything like Chara i would be so happy

• frontenac1 says:

Tinordi is a light-heavyweight. I think his fighting ability has improved since junior but not yet up to NHL standards for Heavyweight bouts. He has a 57% Winning percentage this year ,throwing 2x as many punches as his opponents but because of that long reach,he is landing 4x as many as receiving. From the bouts I”ve seen he shows good instinct , can take a punch and keep in the fight. He is learning the trade but needs more weight(which will come) and experience.Saludos!

64. Sportfan says:

The real question is are bourque and Prust coming back this weekend?

65. Habfan10912 says:

Talk about good sports. Louie L and Schneider battling it out in Vancouver. Funny stuff.

We have the best owner!, best general manager,! best coaching staff!, and best scouting staff in all of professional sport today!

We are thinking long term stability as a winning culture again. This has been missing in Montreal for far to many years.

I can see the shine of a silver cup, just around the corner!

67. Phil C says:

DD’s contract is very affordable. For next year, the Habs now have 18 players under contract with $8 million left in cap space. After Kaberle is gone, they will have 17 players with $12M in cap space to replace mostly fourth liners and depth players, with the only key player to replace being Ryder. Very doable.

As for making room for Galchenyuk, they could leave him on the wing for another season easily. After next season, Eller will be due for a raise, Gionta will be coming off the books, and the Habs will have to decide what to do with Galchenyuk. Until then, the Habs have two legitimate shots at the Cup, this season and next season, so there is no reason to move anybody until after next season unless the return is worth it. At which point the DD contract will be very movable if they want. There is no downside to this signing.

• piper says:

Well i hope some other team thinks it’s affordable. I see Galchenyuk and Eller as 1 and 2 down the middle in the near future. I dont see Desharnais as a 3 or 4.

• Phil C says:

Grabovski signed for four years with a cap hit of $5.5M. He is an offensive 2nd line centre, doesn’t kill penalties, and has never scored as many points as DD did last year.

Put another way, can you name another 2nd line centre capable of putting up 50+ points who eligible for unrestricted free agency and is paid less? As long as DD’s contract is movable, there is no downside. I think it is easily moved as long as he keeps producing.

• Legitimate shot at the cup this year and next? Um, hey, I’m all for positive thinking but we still have some pieces to fill and heads to fix, like a hard charging forward that can score of size. Crease clearing defenseman who can start a rush and don’t just blindly clear a puck for an icing or on an opponents stick and a goalie that isn’t having more than one off day (yes, I noticed that Price has had a few this year and yes, for all those Price supporters he is a good goalie, just not great this year. Sure Pekke got lit up last night too, but not three out of the last four games).
      Then, I’d say we have a shot to beat Chicago, Booins, Pittsburgh even the aging Anaheim. I just want the dominant days of old back, then I’d say, yup, we’ve got a legitimate Cup winning team.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Cal says:

Those dominant decades of old are long gone, never to return. There are too many really good hockey people in NHL team management positions for any team to have problems for a long time, Oilers excluded.
        Those years of rare losses will never return. Parity is what this league is about.

• Phil C says:

They have plenty of size up front, especially with the puck pressure style they play which depends on speed more than size.

I agree they could use a big defenseman who can play a shutdown role. Hopefully this gets addressed at the deadline or in the off season.

I think Price is good enough to win then a Cup. Their style of play does not surrender many shots, so they don’t need a goalie to steal games for them, he just needs to be steady. I think Price is capable of that easily. Detroit won with Osgood, Chicago with Niemi, for example.

• krob1000 says:

Since expansion dynasties are dead.

68. Garbo says:

How can he get much less than this, when Prust is making 2.5, Moen is at 1.8, Bourque is at 3.3.

My only concern is what PK thinks about this. He is currently hands down the best player on the team, while making significantly less than others. I hope he still wants to be a hab when his bridge contract is up.

PK’s contract was great for the team, I just hope it didn’t come at the expense of alienating him to point he wants out.

69. habsfan0 says:

Obviously,signing a player to a contract extension during the season is something that would never have happened under Bob Gainey’s watch.

70. Steeltown Hab says:

I’ll take the hate comments but a serious question.

Whether a player comes from ECHL and battles his way up or is a 1st round pick and takes a traditional route to the show, does this have any impact on what they’ve “earned” or deserve or where they should line up on the team?

The best player should play. Just like the best coach should get the job (MT has done a fine job).

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

71. piper says:

No way!!!! What was Bergevin thinking????
    That makes trading him very tough unless he starts playing like M St.louis from here on. How much will Eller need now? Dumb move MB.

72. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

What do the last 3 cup winners have in common (besides physicality)? Good cap management. MB must be happy with DD’s production and signed him cheap (for a 60 pt man). With 3 balanced scoring lines now, offense is not the Habs problem. Even though I would have waited till after the playoffs, the contract is reasonable and won’t hurt the cap.

73. SteverenO says:

Whats wrong with having 4 “Top 3″centers .

Bourque – Plek – Gionta
    Patches -Desharnais- Gallagher
    Ryder – Eller- Prust
    Moen- Gallchenyuk- Armstrong)

With White and Dumont as reinforcements, it is a pretty good lineup top to bottom.

regards,

Steve O.

• 24 Cups says:

Galchenyuk can`t center a 4th line. The role doesn`t fit. Not to mention he can`t win face-offs or kill penalties at the present moment.

• Loonie says:

If you swap Ryder and Prust and then drop Prust from the third line to the fourth you have a good developmental lineup.

But the issue is less certain when Galchenyuk proves ready to be a centreman.

Things get complicated at that point.

74. Propwash says:

I like the signing, plus the Habs have essentially the equivilant of Lecav and Saint-Louis in MaxPac and DD.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

75. Hstands4Hockey says:

I don’t love this move but I an live with it. DD is a good player, but how many years do we have to live with all these tiny little guys playing Centre? Eller, Pleks and soon Galchenyuk are better in the middle so what is going to give? I suppose we can still trade DD for decent value if things get too jammed, but I’d hate to see Eller go to keep this guy. I like Davey but I simply don;t see him as a guy to build a team around.

Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey