Desharnais comments on new contract

dd

David Desharnais, seen here in action in Ottawa vs. the Senators last season, signed a two-year deal on Monday.
Phillip MacCallum, Getty Images

AUDIO: David Desharnais on his new contract (apologies for the quality of the audio; it was poor at source.)

1. sally122 says:

Third line centre that needs matching speed on either side of him. He’s getting better all the time and I’m looking forward to seeing him in action next year. As for the size thing i have two names for you ….. Brian Gionta and Martin St. Louis.
    s’e'ek’c'ou’ga’r.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!

2. JohnBellyful says:

They need to jazz up the draft and make it faster-paced. The league can start by telling team officials they don’t have to thank their hosts for their incredible hospitality yada yada yada. They CAN comment if the service has been lousy and the delegation had to share a double bed.
    And puhleeeeze order the suits not to congratulate the Stanley Cup champions at any point. The business at hand could do without the crocodile cheers.
    Another thing, just have one guy go up to announce who the team is selecting. The one who walks the fastest.
    Do away with the perp, er, prosp walk, where each Chosen One takes leave of his family and slowly makes his way to the stage to don a team cap and put on a team sweater. Time-consuming and, worse, it gives hockey experts the opportunity to offer their pearls of wisdom. Instead, have all the prospects wait in back and when a player’s name is called, he runs out from behind the curtain to shake hands with the team guy while his photo appears on a huge screen showing him wearing the uniform. Have the team guy hand him stacks of money.

Or … really up the drama by having a huge dart board with the names of the top 100 prospects. Team with first pick gets to make choice by tossing dart from one foot away, team with second pick stands two feet away, and so on…

3. Un Canadien errant says:

We’ve been complaining about Bettman and Campbell and the Bruins and the referees, and we all want to improve the game. Here is the first proposal I have for saving the NHL from itself, more will come in the next few days.

Let me know what you think, but be aware that some of these changes will be drastic, instead of tinkering with faceoff rules and the like.

#1: INSTITUTE A NEW POINTS SYSTEM: 3 for a win, 2 for an OT win, 1 for an OT loss.

Let’s start with an easy one. Last summer, some General Managers were up at arms about the Overtime and Shootout rules, claiming that some teams when tied in the third period were coasting to reach OT and thus collect the guaranteed point. They further claimed that some teams would play defensive hockey during OT to make it to the shootout, which in their view is more a crapshoot than real hockey. Cumulatively, they believed, this led to boring hockey as opposed to the excitement the OT and SO were supposed to generate.

This problem, if it exists, is easily solved by granting three points for a regulation-time win, but only two for an OT or SO win, with the losing team picking up the single. This would allay any fears that teams aren’t giving their all at the end of the game to win now. This also does away with the nonsense that some games are worth two points, some are worth two points and another point.

Now that this problem is solved, let’s look at OT. Some GM’s proposed that after the 5 minutes of 4 on 4 OT, 3 on 3 should be played instead of going to the shootout. I say let’s do 3 minutes of 3 on 3, and if it’s still tied then, we now go to the Shootout. In the Shootout, let’s increase the number of shooters from three per side to five.
    These changes will, primarily, give the fans more bang for their buck. The games will be more hotly contested and any OT would be more spectacular.

Another way this will improve the game is the way it would affect rosters. GM’s and coaches would have to retool their rosters and lineups, favouring players with skating and offensive skills instead of muckers and grinders who plug up the middle of the ice at 5 on 5. The Canadiens, for example, would be more inclined toward players like Desharnais and Pouliot rather than Moen and Halpern, knowing they need to have the horses for 3 on 3, and at least five danglers and snipers for any Shootouts.

———————————
    “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

4. Newf_Habster says:

From Twitter…

TonyMarinaro Tony Marinaro

Andrei Markov will resign with the HABS. 100%. Hearing will be a 2 year deal worth $11.5M.

• Bugs says:

Same money, two years, sounds about right.
      Marinaro may be a fathead, but no denying he’s got good sources.
      Huzzah!, I say.
      Ok, Jimmy now.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

5. TorontoHabsFan says:

Hey guys,

Here’s a pretty interesting article by Joe Posnanski about athletes and the roles they play. That whether we love or hate them, we aren’t really loving or hating THEM but rather the characters they play.

A bit long, but altogether great read.

6. DearyLeary says:

So apparently Pierre will be picking for the Canadiens in TSN’s mock draft tonight. Which silly pick is he going to make, so that he can then lambaste the Canadiens for picking someone else on friday night?

• HardHabits says:

He has the Habs picking Brandon Saad. Not a horrible pick, it’s the 1st I’ve heard of him going to the Habs. Many mock lists have him going later than 20th though.

This would have been a good year to have more than one first round picks.

• issie74 says:

I think anything Pierre says should be disregarded.

Craig is saying if Tinordi were in this years draft,he would go top ten.that is interesting.

NorthTOHab

• SeriousFan09 says:

Some have chatted up Saad or Puempel for a while for the Habs if we want to talk about guys with potentially pure scoring talent. Argument is there if we want MTL to get some top-end talent, it will have to be managed through the draft. We can’t have just Dumont and Gallagher as the only junior players MTL has that have cracked 40 goals.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• habstrinifan says:

For good or bad I posted that either one of the 16th or 17th draft picks in the mock draft should be targeted by the HABS.

That was about 2 weeks ago when Jamie O…. was ranked around 13th and Brandon Saad was ranked 18th .. so Jamie has dropped and Branon ros ejust a spot.

I like either pick. Dont think HABS need to try and go for blockbuster pic in this draft.

• Talik Sanis says:

The whole thing seemed rather off to me, especially the fall of Armia to 22nd. If he’s actually available when we pick, I’ll be displeased if we don’t select him.

• SeriousFan09 says:

If Armia is at 22nd, I’d go for it. People can dump on Europeans all day long but the Finns go just as hard to the wall as any Canadian does. Goal scoring hands and doing well as a 17/18 year old in the Finnish SM-Liga makes me like him as an outlier pick. Skating needs work but same could be said for a couple of my favourites like Jensen.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

7. habstrinifan says:

I have come to the conclusion that Pierre Gauthier has the easiest job in the world. Now this would have been an astonishingly STUPID remark in the days when Montreal Canadiens fans demanded from their team, Les Habitants, a certain level of performance; a certain threshold of achievement; a certain quality and style of play.

A SUPERIOR team constructed by SUPERIOR management earning a SUPERIOR record year after year after year. A SUPERIOR team on the ice, invincible in the corners and incomparable from blueline to blueline.

The bar is now set lower! Within the last few days, I have read here on HIO and heard from fans on team990, enough to be convinced that Pierre Gauthier has NO PRESSURE. All he needs to do is hold enough ‘homage to history’ nights while the team on the ice delivers more tawdry mediocrity.

Evidence?

The many posts here in HIO smugly reminding the latest Stanley Cup champions that we have 24 while they have how many?.
    All the while, seemingly blithely unaware that, based on recent seasons, this team would have been relegated to second division status if that practice applied in the NHL.

The many posts here in HIO laughing at other pro active GM’s who take or have taken a ‘let’s get it done unafraid of failure’ approach. Meanwhile they debate the latest unsubstantive moves of PG which may or may not solidify our 3RD LINE or is it our 4th line. Heck we may even reap a scoring bonanza from the same ‘group’ who struggled so mightily in the past two seasons 5-on-5.

Like Patrick Roy, they cannot hear the sounds of jeering because they have the jingling of 24 rings in their ears. Unfortunately, unlike
    Patrick Roy those are not the barbs of an inferior contemporary but of harsh reality.

The incredible post that says Alex Tanguay should be brought back and he will be the answer.

The posters incredulous that, with exra cap space, PG hasnt signed a
    defensively suspect WIZ to some stupendously overblown UFA salary.

The posters who lament that if we lose the ordinary Halpern we may never again win a face-off draw.

The poster (and caller on team 990) who wants us to resign Hammrlik because he… geez the premise is so laughable I need not say more.

See PG. You really have no homework to do. You really need not be daring and show industry and then courage needed to really vault this team into the elite ranks of the NHL. Fans see the last two seasons of absolutely horrendous scoring results and dismiss their implications.

So just fiddle with fodder PG! The ludicrous folly which says that when all injured return, your lineup of the past two years is GOOD ENOUGH abounds in habsland.

Meanwhile I will go over to the serious section who await with sullen
    anxiety the time when management and coaches and fans of Les Habitants will put aside history and be inspired to act out of the HUNGER FOR ONE rather than complacently aim for more.

• ed lopaz says:

buddy, I won’t comment on the bulk of your post, I’ll leave that to others.

I will comment on your perspective of The Wiz.

“…The posters incredulous that, with exra cap space, PG hasnt signed a
      defensively suspect WIZ to some stupendously overblown UFA salary”

I want you to copy your remarks down and come back to us in 5 years time.

After Wiz plays the next 5 years for Detroit – the most successful franchise of the last 15 years.

Wiz will be 32 (Markov’s age today).

If Wiz has not easily earned the 5 million X 5 years you can come back on here and tell everyone that Ed Lopaz is a huge clown who knows nothing about hockey.

I’m telling you, that after 40 years of watching this game, the Wiz is a terrific signing this summer, and that’s why the Detroits and Bostons will be going full tilt to get him.

You can count on less that 2 hands the number of NHL d-men that bring Wiz’s skill set to the game.

Acquiring Wiz was hands down the best move Gauthier made this season.

Wiz changed our lineup and made us a contender immediately.

Whether he replaces Rafalski in Detroit or Kaberle in Boston or Hammrlik in Montreal,

will go along way in determining where we finish next season.

Mark it down.

• Bugs says:

Must agree.
        Excellent player. Pt-producing phenom. Gritty, fearless, dedicated.
        And pantomimer extraordinaire.
        We could do worse by signin’m.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks for responding. That’s why we write.. to get some sort of reaction one way or another.. so I sincerely appreciate yours.

And I will copy my post and yours and hopefuly one day we can compare.

I am slightly less impressed with what WIZ brings than you obviously. If it is a choice, to sign Markov or WIZ, I will sign Markov.

And having then signed Markov and having Gorges, Gill, Suuban,Yemelin, Spacek and Weber.. I cant see the benefit of signing WIZ. He adds what we have. What we will then need is a big, steady, defensive and mean d-man. And WIZ is not that.
        Yemelin froma ll accounts may be that… soon. But no one in the line up is that NOW.

And that is why, if we sign Markov, it would be redundant to sign WIZ.

Keep in mind I am not alone in my placing Markov higher than WIZ…d espites what WIZ brought. Others like Francis Gagnon have done so already.

Once again thanks for the response.

• obrien says:

How about this: we sign Markov (reported today). We don’t sign Gorges (reported for over the 3M mark) and instead sign the WIZ.

In that scenario, he is not redundant and that makes sense cap wise (2M difference between Gorges and WIZ, but Ill take it!)

Imagine having puck moving defenseman like Markov, Subban, Wiz, Emelin and Weber: night and day if you compare the crap d we had during last playoffs when only 2 could make a pass (i.e. hamrlik, spacek, sopel, gill, mara, cant pass)

• Steven says:

I pretty much agree with you on everything you’ve said. The Wiz is a great offensive defenceman, the kind you need on any contender team, but compared to Markov, he isn’t nearly as good. Not to mention, for a defence-first hockey team like the Habs, we can’t have a guy like him prowling the blue line, being prone to defencive lapses.

Here’s an interesting thing I dug up. Wisniewski’s stats this year were 10G 41A 51P with a -14 rating(-18 with the Islanders, +4 with Montreal) in 75 games. MAB’s stats last year were 13G 21A 34P with a -7 rating in 60 games. If you do the math, MAB’s stats playing as many games as Wiz did add up to a projected 16G, 26A, 42P as well as a -9 rating.

Now, before you guys jump at me, I was never crazy about MAB, and Wiz is easily the better player. The point I’m trying to get at is the two are very similar in their playing style(Very good offensive defencemen who are prone to lapses in the d-zone), meanwhile, MAB was paid 1M last year in Tampa Bay(maybe some of that was affected by injury, but I doubt a healthy MAB would’ve gotten much more), while Wisniewski is set to make 5M or more.

Obviously Wisniewski deserves more, but 5 times more?

• Fred D says:

Since the Wiz landed in Montreal, I had hope. To boot, he seems happy here and his enthusiasm is infectious. On top of that he literally “bled” (red anyway) for the Canadiens. I will be seriously disappointed if he is not resigned, much as I was last year when we let Dominic Moore slip away.
        In any event, I will have my fingers crossed that James Wizniewski stay with us.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Please name one effective, proactive GM. I’m not saying you can’t name one, I just want be sure I understanding of what you’re advocating.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• Marc10 says:

I think that comment would suit most, if not all, teams in the NHL. Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver would be the hardest places to GM – what with all the second guessers and the desire for the Cup. Yes Tanguay isn’t the right fit and neither is Hammer, but there simply aren’t a lot of trade options out there.

PG does have pressure on… and more than most GMs. But in a league where most teams don’t make signifcant deals – EVER – it’s a big ask to find a dancing partner. Halak was a big move last year… I don’t think that was complacent.

I would like to see more of that. I hope the depth moves were seeing from PG aim to create enough firepower in Hamilton to cast off dwindling assets in Montreal (guys in the final year of their contracts who we could offload at the trade deadline for prospects while we bring up kids who are ready to step up.)

The list of missed opportunities on that front is long: Souray, Komi, Saku, Ryder, Hammer, Wiz… Some had no trade clauses and some we had to keep for the playoff drive, but that is an area we need to get better at. I hope that’s why we’re seeing PG load up on depth D. Now if he could do the same with the forwards in Hamilton, then we’ll have room to dump established players on the tail end of their deals for prospects and picks while bringing up some kids.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• LA Loyalist says:

You are forgetting that our power play, after being killer for years, fell apart as we lost Souray, Mark Streit and, twice, Markov.

A power play quarterback is the most important position on the team (after goalie) in the modern game.

I hate our striving for mediocrity just as much as you. I find it morally offensive that Gomez is even allowed on the premises. What message does that send to our kids?

That say, Wiz would be killer in Detroit, and he would kill US in Boston. We need to re-sign him, and if PK keeps developing, if Emelin takes to the NHL like Chris Higgins to Crescent Street and Markov stays off crutches, well, we’ll have a surfeit of riches on D for the first time in many years.

You have to look at the market as it is in this moment in time. Remember last year when there were too many goalies, the prices went through the floor. This year, if you are a real power forward, a # 1 center, or a good PP Qb not named Kaberle, you can pretty much write your ticket. The question is not SHOULD we sign Wiz – we absolutely should. The question is will we be able to.

• Mark C says:

It hasn’t really been about the powerplay QB, it’s been about having a LH shot on the right point that can bring it. Montreal’s PP has ranked 1st, 1st, 13th, 2nd, and 7th in the past 5 season. The only year Montreal’s PP has been out of the top-10 was the year of the failed Tanguay experiment, where Markov moved to the right side. The PP took off once Markov moved back to the left side and Schneider was traded for.

What do Souray, Streit, MAB, and Schneider all have in common? Huge LH shots. It’s too bad Wiz isn’t a lefty, all that said, I’m still in favor of bring him back.

• LA Loyalist says:

I forgot about Schneider, my bad. He played pretty well for us both times. I met his father at the rink here in LA when we didn’t re-sign him, and he was apparently disappointed.

I am also not saying Wiz replaces Markov. I’m saying we need depth, and if all works out with other guys (Emelin) we’ll have a stud D to trade for a stud forward, rather than let him walk for nothing. And if Wiz walks, and Markov’s knees are just not there, well, we’ve lost another year. That’s all. It’s certainly a puzzle putting the pieces together, I know.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Wow, a great post Trinifan, and you’ve obviously stirred the hornet’s nest, lots of responses coming your way.

As one of the pro-Tanguay posters, allow me to retort as well.

First, specifically on Alex, I did bring him up a couple of times, since as another poster says we’re all playing GM. We need offence on the club and that’s what Alex would bring, I think he’d set up Cammalleri for a bunch of goals. He also has played the point on the PP, which could come in handy. Is he the cure-all for what ails the Canadiens? No one is suggesting that, but I think if some posters raise Konopka or Hartnell as worthy additions, we can bring up Tanguay. If he fits in the salary structure we could do much worse, and have done worse.

As far as PG not being under pressure to win, and the Canadiens fans and HIO participants being satisfied with mediocrity, whereas you want a dominant organization, those two aren’t mutually exclusive. All we want is progress, to move in the direction of being a dominant team and a stocked farm system.

What you have to realize is that Mr Gauthier has no assets to play with, and not as much cap room as we would like. It’s like showing up to a $100 buy-jn poker game with $17, you’re going to get bullied and antied off the table in no time.

Right now he has to play small ball, and signing the assets we have on hand is a great strategy. Letting the veterans go, even if they could still contribute, is also good strategy. Let’s give the kids the ice time.

Our organization coasted for years on the assets and momentum built up by Sam Pollock. Irving Grundman squandered a lot of that away, Serge Savard tried to build it back up, but then came Rejean Houle’s Reign of Terror. Since then, it’s been hard to build the organization back up.

I see quite a few posters looking for quick fixes and hoping for a Cup next year, but also a lot who want to build through the draft and strengthen the organization. If we’re patient, we can get to a point where we have stability both in the dressing room and the executive offices, and that usually spells success.

The teams we had in the 70′s won’t happen again, we need to readjust our expectations. I was really proud of the team we had this year, they played with heart and spirit and fought through adversity. I think it bodes well for the future, and I’m not embarrassed to cheer for our boys.

———————————
      “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

8. Strabo says:

A question for SF or anyone for that matter. What the status on Greg Pateryn, and where does he project in the scheme of things?

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

• mbplekfan says:

Pateryn is a senior in Michigan and considered a project player for the habs. If he continues to play steady hockey he may warrant a contract at the end of the season. He doesnt stand out in any one area but may become a depth player in the future.

• Mark C says:

If Joe Stejskal warrents a contract, I’m sure Pateryn will be given one too. Pateryn has great NHL size, and put up 17 points and was +15 in the CCHA.

9. LA Loyalist says:

Guys – I have an iPhone photo of the Bruins’ bar tab at a hotel after they won the cup. It’s about $15k, but that’s not the funny part – the funny part is that they ordered weird stuff like Jagermeister and crappy champagne like Moet… really funny.

Anyone know how to post an image here? I can email it to someone if that’s the drill.

• aemarchand11 says:

Only an average of 600 bucks/person? What a bunch of cheap arseholes who dont even drink high quality. Jeez, in fort mcmurray the average tab is about 200 dollars!

“I have a different constitution. I have a different brain; I have a different heart; I got tiger blood, man.” – Charlie Sheen.

• Bugs says:

Jager might be weird but Moët & Chandon? No, sir.
      Maybe you got a bad batch?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• LA Loyalist says:

Bugs, Moet or Laurent Perrier is what you serve to the crowds to go with their cake before the guillotines crank up.

I win the cup (or a bet with my wife) we’re talking vintage Champagne from small producers, though I will admit that the 2002 Veuve is lovely. My personal favorite is Guy Larmandier, blanc de noir, 2003. You’ve got to go vintage with Champagne, otherwise it’s just the house blend, some of which are fine, but for The Freaking Stanley Cup? Yikes!

• Say Ash says:

mmm…sounds fruity

• Bugs says:

Well, Lalo, I was a waiter for 10 years and imo, there’s not much of a difference between the Moet and Veuve. I think due to Moet’s strong commercial backing (Gucci? Armani? Forget which), it suffers from what many consider to be over-hype. Doesn’t diminish its yumminess though.
          Laurent Perrier is completely inoffensive. Nothing wrong with it, be you a king or a pauper. You don’t HAVE “to go vintage”; that’s just what us waiters would say to get a higher bill and bigger tip.
          I remember training a young waitress at the Mount Stephen who accidentally brought a glass of sparkling wine to René Angélil instead of the Krug he was expecting, (which I only found out later) and he never knew the difference. Mind you ,it was late by then and it hadn’t been his first beverage of the evening.
          Curiously, I don’t recall offhand ever hearing of this Guy Larmandier stock that you prefer.
          Hmmm…I shall look into it; thank you.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• HabFanSince72 says:

René Angelil has no taste!

Whoodda thunk it?????

• LA Loyalist says:

We have a Satanic wine store in Santa Monica that sells ONLY two things: small Italian producers and small independent Champagne producers, the quantities of which are imported over here are probably not sufficient in number of cases to interest the Regie or LCBO Vintages, for that matter.

I’m not knocking the regular Champagnes, lots of them are fine, some more than fine, but once you start drinking small producer vintage stuff, it’s really hard to go back, the difference is profound.

Having not lived in Mtl for some years now, I’m not sure how the rare wine are organized, there used to be the rare wine section on Sherbrooke, but as I said, it’s been a while.

Anyway, the point is to have a reason to open it. If my son wins his playoff championship this weekend, I’ll definitely open a bottle.

When Habs win #25, I’ll smuggle up a case in my luggage and pay the duty for your annual Habs event.

By the way, as you seem to be a bit of a connoiseur, I had a WHITE Armagnac in Toronto a couple of weeks ago that was not expensive (about $40 a bottle, the bottle was clear with a blue trim) which I bought on a whim and it was really, really enjoyable and different.

Maybe you can find that in Montreal? The other drink we like in the summer is Pineau de Charentes, with some ice and lemon. I want one right now, actually!

Cheers!

To your note below, yes I should not do the lemon.

As for the white armagnac, it was just to try something different, I usually bring my friend a bottle of Calvados but travelling alone I only had a carry on and you can’t take anything liquid on the plane : ( Anyway the Summerhill Vintages had no Calvados and the regular Armagnacs were not interesting. It was just an impulse that worked out.

I believe you are a Scotch man? I think I read it somewhere. I had something else I liked “Glenrothes?” Something about drunken horse.

And you are right about the Pastis. It will kick you into next Tuesday. I still make the Mussel Soup from L’Express on St. Denis where they splash a little Pernod into the the tomato stock. I really need to make that now that it is summer. We get PEI mussels here in LA, believe it or not.

• Bugs says:

You add lemon to the Pineau; you’re insulting it, imo. Other than that, a fine summer drink. Always was more partial to Pastis meself because if you turn your back on it for juuuust a second, it’ll hammer the hell outta ya (gotta respect that), whereas the Pineau’s golden honeyness sticks to the pallet more and forever reminds you it’s there.
            What Armagnac was it? And why didn’t you just have a glass of cognac instead? ;)

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Summer drinks.

Lillet on the rocks.

If I’m in Rome, Campari and soda. If I’m in Nice, Pastis.

• Bugs says:

Put me down for: 1) Yuengling
            2) Sleeman’s Silver Creek (havin a few now, yummy-yummy-yummy!)
            3) Ricard or Bardouin pastis
            4) a Mateus rosée
            5) Frothing glass of lemonade
            6) Spectacularly iced glass’o'water
            No particular order.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• 21272andme says:

it wasnt $15k, it was $156k. pretty big difference.
      they ordered a bottle of champagne that was $100k itself:

• LA Loyalist says:

Crap you are right. the eyes are the second thing to go, after that other thing.

Ace Midas @ $100,000. Holy crap. Never heard of it. The final bill shows: $156,679.74
        They also had 136 Bud Lites @ $5.00 each. and one bottle of “Comp” champagne at $0.00. and one Kami Kaze @ $10.00. Crap, I don’t even remember what a Kami Kaze is. Not to mention 18 sugar free Red Bulls and 18 Regular Red Bulls @ $5 ea.

This is hilarious. Thanks for fixing my eye sight. Wish I could post the whole thing, but I pointed out the funny bits at least.

10. FLAHABFAN says:

I hope PG intends to resign Wiz. Only Plek(.74) and Cammy(.70) averaged more PPG that Wiz(.68) did.

11. The Big O says:

New CBA has to be negotiated after next season, no need to sign guys when it won’t be known what the playing field is. Most teams will wait to see what the new contract brings before signing guys.

12. Mr_MacDougall says:

I wonder why there isn’t any talk of extending Price and Subban this off season? There seems to be no better time for them to negotiate and get life changing contracts. Would Price turn down a $16 million dollar deal over 4 seasons? Or PK turn down 10 million over 4 seasons? That is life changing money for these guys..

• habs03 says:

Because both have smart agents that know that if they play one more season and stay on the same pace, they would get more money. I think Subban has one more contact before he gets a huge one, his next contact might be something like Letangs 2-3 years at 3.5M, short enough so he would still be an RFA when its done. As for Price, I know the Habs are big on long contacts but we need to sign him to a 8 year+ contact.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I don’t know how smart it is.. Price is hot right now, be a nice chance for him to sign a life changing deal. Subban had made less that 2 million in his career, so a 10 million dollar deal would be amazing for him, a serious injury in the upcoming season or a significant drop in production could cut their prospective deals in half!

Agents…….

• LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, like Gomez, Garth Snow and that choker Loo-ongo.

Nice.

• ABHabsfan says:

Getting Price at $4M per for 4 years would be a colossal bargain. I think somewhere north of $5.5M is what’s coming for him in 2012.

• savethepuck says:

If he has another year like last year he will get that 5 or 6 mil range like other elite goaltenders in the league

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

• Mark C says:

Simply put, it’s illegal to extend a signed player until X date during their last season under contract. Don’t remember the date, but it’s around the mid-point of the season.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Take the Leafs, for example. According to ESPN, they are the worst team in the NHL across all categories, including “bang for the buck,” a measurement of how well teams convert fan dollars from tickets, concessions and parking into wins.

Brian Burke, [...] dismissed the findings of the report Monday as “absurd and offensive.”

“I don’t think ESPN knows squat about Canada. I don’t think they know squat about hockey,” Burke told reporters.

• JD_ says:

Although the Loafs are, in fact, quite absurd, they hardly qualify as offensive. See, that’s Burkie’s problem right there: He doesn’t recognize his team’s weakness up front.

On a positive note, Brian does go out of his way to acknowledge that ESPN knows somethin’ about Canada and hockey, in that they don’t know nothin’. Quite the compliment when you consider he could conceivably be quite pissed about the whole thing.

What a nice guy.

Speakin’ of nice guys, Ryan Miller’s current goalie coach, Jim Corsi, MCed my eldest daughter’s high school graduation ceremony last night. Not sure how it came about, but whatever. He was smoove and kept things rollin’ along.

Not bad for a former ‘Dique, if only a WHA one.

• HabFab says:

Probably alumni, Jim is a Montreal boy who then starred at Concordia.

• Chorske says:

Burke’s ass must have a burn from all the sunshine the major sports networks have shone on it, so he has some nerve, getting all tetchy. He’s all lockerroom ass-slappin’ chummy until someone dares to question him, and then he’s a complete bitch.

• JD_ says:

For all his self-loathin’, erstwhile Hab fan admirers, one memory is impossible to shake.

Walkin’ the hallways of the Bell Centre at the 2009 All-Star Game with said daughter, tryin’ to get a picture of her with as many team mascots as humanly possible. It’s the third period – I couldn’t care less about the game, the pictures are awesome and my daughter’s havin’ a blast – so the hallways are relatively deserted.

Along comes a terse-lookin’ Brian Burke, full steam ahead, trenchcoat billowin’ out behind him. Thirty feet behind, strugglin’ to keep up with his nibs, is the rest of the family. I kid you not.

My only thought as I continue along whilst holdin’ my daughter’s hand is what a buffoon I’ve just encountered.

A veritable maroon.

• Bugs says:

This the same daughter who just graduated high school?
            She was cool with holding daddy’s hand in public at 15-yrs-old???
            What are you guys, Amish or sumpin?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• JD_ says:

Even worse, I give each of my children a kiss on the cheek before they go to bed at night, which they return in kind, includin’ my 15 year-old son.

Don’t be gettin’ all pimply and awkward on me, Bugsy.

13. CHsam says:

Aside from some conditioning issues and mental lapses, my guess is that the organization got tired of watching Pouliot getting by on talent alone, as opposed to working hard and becoming a quality player… Just a guess

• Habfan10912 says:

I can’t say that I blame them.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think Benoit would benefit from a long stint in Hamilton, where he would be the go-to guy for scoring and power-play duties. The game would slow down a bit for him, some bad habits could be coached out of him, he’d rebuild his confidence, I see nothing but positives.

Max wasn’t ready last year and got sent down, got the same treatment and came back a changed player. Lars was kept with the big club and it stalled his development I think, since it’s pretty hard to learn from the bench.

Maybe the Canadiens don’t even have to play hardball with him, the can give him a one-way contract even though it’s understood that unless he really tears up training camp, he’ll start out in Hamilton. He would know that they’re not nickel and dimeing him, they really want him to succeed.

Benoit seems to be a pretty low-key guy, maybe he needs to have things going his way before he believes in himself. He’s not a PK or Brad Marchand with all the confidence in the world.

Does anyone know if Benny can be sent down or would he have to clear waivers?

———————————
      “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• LA Loyalist says:

If you read Dryden or Robinson’s memoirs, you will be struck by how carefully guys were groomed – for success, and to be NHL ready. I don’t think we’re so good at that lately and then we blame the kids.

Given the crop we have coming, Leblanc, Kristo, Tinordi, et al, this is an area this organization should be highly focused on improving.

14. since1988 says:

Did i just hear on Melnick that Pierre McGuire is moving to NBC full time? Can someone confirm this?

“I savour it every day, sometimes before practice I’m skating around and I’ll look at the logo on my jersey – I’m playing for the Canadiens!”
    - Mathieu Darche

• Say Ash says:

All Ferraro all the time!

I think he’s still gonna do the juniors tournament for TSN.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

That rumour’s been out there, but to me it sounds to good to be true. Also, if he does move to NBC/Versus full time he’ll probably still pop up on some of those games TSN2 carries. If the Molson’s really cared about the fans they’d hire Pierre McGuire as a full time scout in Latvia, or the Ukraine, or somewhere like that.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

15. TorontoHabsFan says:

I’m still of the mind that the only forward UFAs we should target are Tanguay for the top 6 LW we need, and Talbot for the 4th line winger we need.

When Tanguay was here and playing with Kovalev and Koivu for the last few weeks of the season I was consistently amazed at how skilled a playmaker he is…something we definitely could use this season. I also think any work ethic issues should be muted – with the leadership core in place there’s been precious few passengers lately. Even though I’ve never really bought the knock on him that he’s a floater…he definitely won’t be on this team!

It would also allow us to keep Kostitsyn on the 3rd line with Eller and Desharnais – I really like the idea of having a 3rd line with scoring potential (when Lang centred the Kostitsyns on the 3rd line I was in heaven). Furthermore, he should make a pretty good bridge until some of our younger prospects (Palushaj, Leblanc, Kristo, Avtsin) are ready to take on a role with the big squad.

Maybe something in a $2m/yr for 2 years?

(as for Talbot – if we have the money, I don’t see a problem with paying a little more for a younger Halpern)

• slamtherimtim says:

Tanguay will never return dont you remember when he didnt want to play incase he got hurt when his contract was due , the guy has no heart

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I remember those rumours. I generally take rumours about this team with a grain of salt.

If I believed every single “I saw this player out at that bar on Crescent St. with the girlfriend of his teammate and they were drunk and making out and blowing lines off the shaved head of a midget before last night’s game” story I heard…well…I don’t know what I’d be, but I wouldn’t be me :D

• LA Loyalist says:

Reminds me of sitting in a bar on Bishop drinking Tequila Poppers and it is raining freaking bullets and my buddy says to me:

“Girlfriend’s comin’ over.”
          “She got a key?”
          “Nope.”
          “You leavin?”
          “Nope.
          (beat)
          Nuther drink?”
          “Yup.”

• TorontoHabsFan says:

classic!!

(there are times when you mess up and don’t realize it…and then there are times when you know you’re making a bad decision even as you’re making it!)

• Favorite Son says:

I’d go after Leino, Laich or even Jussi Jokinen before going after Tanguay (if at all). We need a scorer, not a playmaker.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I think Leino and Laich are likely to be much more expensive than Tanguay.

And if my calculations are correct – getting Tanguay, who made $1.7m last year, *should* leave us enough money to sign Wisniewski. (If Tanguay signs for $2m-$2.5m).

So we’d solve both of our UFA needs – keeping Markov AND Wisniewski, as well as finding a top 6 winger.

*******edit*******

I just looked up his stats last season – Tanguay finished with 69 points, good for 8th best amongst LWs and the best of any UFA LW! That’s might be the quietest bounceback season in recent history!

His asking price is almost certainly going to be north of $2.5m. Still might be worth it if you make it a 3 yr deal worth $3m-ish/yr.

• Habfan10912 says:

Tanguay = soft

16. db says:

They just don’t make those paper bags the way they used to. Once upon a time you were able to hold the bag by the top and it wouldn’t break away.

As I’m walking out of Pepper’s Grocery in beautiful Victoria BC, with 2 bags in hand, one rips and falls. But, I make the save! Only to hear “Nice grab!”. I say “thanks” without looking up. After gathering myself a little I look up, up to Ryan O’Byrne.

I blurt out “OB” “Ryan-O (rhyno)” and whatever other nicknames I used to call him while trying to say everything at once. I told him I’m hockey fan, er a Habs fan. I commented on his giving up his number 3 and how the Canadiens trump everyone when it comes to ceremony.

I was so close to asking him if he ever read HIO. So close. But I just shook his hand and wished him a quiet offseason. As he walked into Pepper’s I just had to shout GO Habs GO.

Just thought I’d share… I’ve honestly avoided posting since the great change. But it seems to have come around nicely. Thanks HIOers & staff, all o’ y’all, it’s been a blast reading your comments this season… Oh is that the draft I see around the corner? Free agent frenzy?

Love the passion, hate the bruins.

peace
    db

Happy for DD, hopefully he can rub off on Poopoo a bit (who should be qualified… nobody throws away assets).

2nd video on the right hand side of the page.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I think they’re being a bit unfair to Kristo listing him as a 3rd-liner while Leblanc is listed as a 2nd-liner. Kristo’s ability to execute plays and stickhandle while moving at his top-end speed is remarkable and makes him just as strong a candidate for Top-6 play as Leblanc.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

Agree Serious, reality is that if Kristo if ever makes our team it will be for a top 6 spot. His game is speed and skill. I don’t think the Habs picked him up envisioning him to be a 3rd line player.

• TomNickle says:

Kristo has a lot of Grabner in him. That’s just about all I can say on this subject. If that makes him a third liner, I’m happy, because I’m just happy he’s a part of the organization. Wherever he is, he’ll produce because of his puck handling at full speed.

18. Rudy says:

I loved it when Boone would call him Wee DD on his game blogs, glad to have him back, he works hard and fits into the room.

19. dhenry1234 says:

anyone feel like summarizing the DD interview for those that can’t listen to the link? Thanks in advance!

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Marchand and Seguin after graduating from the Kostitsyn Brothers’ School of Partying
    …can’t We tell these guys that if they were Habs winning number 25, that the champagne would not be Hungarian, and the wimmin’ would be 10x more swimmin’ ???
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

21. dhenry1234 says:

I have a feeling that DD will turn into a GREAT player. Him and Larry are going to turn some heads this season and develope into some Excellent players.

Well the Jagr Du Jour rumour has Pittsburgh now up front in the race. Really makes you wonder what is happening with S. Crosby. This will be a real shame for Hockey, if his career is over or dramatically altered as a result of clear interference cheap shot hit by Steckel.

I am still amazed how somehow a guy lifting his elbow to a player’s head away from play facing another direction was dismissed as a hockey play.

• ooder says:

i am still amazed that it took so long for the NHL to realise that maybe hitting a player in the head is a bad idea

——————
      Gomez: 36 and counting!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Injuring the other team’s stars is a hockey play in Campbell’s NHL.

• avatar_58 says:

I haven’t spoken to anyone with half a brain who thinks that hit was an accident or he “tried to avoid him” as the NHL calls it.

Even your average crosby hater could see it

• athanor says:

Interestingly (to me at least), I have the same opinion about people regarding their views on Chara’s attempt to destroy Max. The stanchion was the problem — gimme a break! It was just a hockey play — ditto!
        I, like Max, couldn’t bear to watch those scumbuckets hoist the cup so turned the tv off way early.

• avatar_58 says:

My opinion on that matter is regardless of Chara’s intent the action took place and resulted in a serious injury. He should have been suspended.

The league needs to cut out this “intent” garbage. You can’t know someone’s intent without mind reading. Do drunk drivers INTEND to hit others? Of course not, but they still committed the action and get punished.

• athanor says:

I didn’t mention intent, but there should perhaps be specific penalties for fouls that cause injury. In this case, say five games, but I would argue that there should also have been a hefty suspension tacked on top of that based on the motion of his hand to make sure Max couldn’t avoid the stanchion. To me, that motion signals intent.

• LA Loyalist says:

Exactly. And Chara waived any consideration with the extra arm shove.

He has no control of his arm? Is he incontinent, too? (like most Bruins).

• fofe84 says:

I think it’s funny when people say, “If it had happened anywhere else on the ice, Pacioretty would have been okay.” Yeah, that’s true. But if it had happened anywhere else on the ice, Chara wouldn’t have reached over and pinned MaxPac’s head to prevent escape from the stanchion. It’s like saying, “Well, jeez, if I hadn’t had a knife in my hand, the guy wouldn’t be dead. It would have just been a punch, not a stab!”

23. habs001 says:

the wiz would be a huge signing…after pk and markov we have no competent pointman for the pp…and if pk or markov miss a few games our pp is in big trouble..gorges does not work on the pp and the same with spacek…

24. Old Bald Bird says:

Some discussion about Pouliot on the other thread, but I am still trying to figure out his final fall from grace. He took a penalty for playing aggressively (the nerve!) and was scratched thereafter. Perhaps I am misremembering the alleged hit, but I still think he crashed the boards much more than the guy. Whatever! Whether it was legit penalty or not, I can’t see how that incident should have been the end of him.

• HalifaxHabs says:

I’m not sure that it was just that one incident (if this really is the end, and it may not be). But JM & PG get to see him on the ice for every single minute of practice & games he’s ever played for us.

If the Habs decide to move on from him, it will be based on his body of work and not just one incident.

I’m not a proponent of just letting him walk for nothing, but I would certainly be willing to trade his snow filled a$$.

Pouliot & 3rd rounder to the Flyers for Hartnell. I’ll drink to that.

• Habitoban says:

You remember the incident correctly. Somehow the JM punishment didn’t seem to fit the crime. But I’ve always felt JM was a little tougher on BP than on others. Some Ottawa Valley thing going on there.

• Greg says:

The problem with Pouliot’s penalty is that it happened 200 feet from his own net. Also, he’s prone to taking o-zone penalties that are often due to carelessness or laziness. If there’s one thing JM hates, it’s laziness.

• Habitoban says:

Others can correct me, but I watched most games and I didn’t see much laziness from Pouliot. I know that was the word on him when he arrived, but in the games I watched he seemed to put on a lot of mileage and used the body effectively.

• Habfan4lfe says:

If Pouliot is gone it’s because JM doesn’t like him. Simple as that. He did not have a bad year and he isn’t a lacking player. Where does your confidence go when you get benched all the time. Pouliot has a lot of potential but you can’t hit that potential if you never get playing time. He put in some really nice goals this year and considering his playing time, to me that’s pretty good.

• SmartDog says:

I actually like Pouliot. His stats put him actually quite high for points per minute playd and he gets moved around.
      But the (fair I think) knock on him is that he doesn’t seem to be able to take advantage of a higher profile, and he dissappears in the playoffs. Maybe though he just needs more time. He hasn’t been bad really by the numbers. Motivationally he’s a bit of an enigma though. Too bad he can’t play hard more often.

• ABHabsfan says:

I think the beginning of the end for Pouliot, if the end is indeed coming, was right after MaxPac got injured. Pouliot was moved to the Gio-Gomer line, his big chance. He proceeded to stink the joint out and took more penalties than shots. I can’t remember who the Habs were playing that game but afterwards it seemed Pouliot never got ant significant TOI in any meaningful situations. His play, confidence, and effort all went down the same toilet. I always thought he had all the tools and he really played well at times in the 09-10 season, but how many chances can you give, I guess.

• G-Man says:

I think it’s more about the falling on his face constantly when he tries to make a play. Without anyone else’s help.

• athanor says:

The Habs’ personal Zamboni. It’s frustrating because when he is on, he shows some wonderful talent, but he is so seldom on. If he does return, I hope he took skating lessons this summer, or at least grew into his body so that his balance is better

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

…now …IF We can find another quality 4 to 5 Flyin’ Frenchmen for Our Team …t’is would put a twinkle in Me wistful eyes
    …a 25er fer certain
    …maybe DD can talk Patrice Bergeron to climb o’er da Booin Wall dis summer
    …OR, maybe ? …the magic mushrooms in My salad last night has yet to wear off ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

26. RobertAlanFord says:

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-