Denis, Henry clear waivers, join Bulldogs

Goaltender Marc Denis and defenceman Alex Henry today cleared waivers. Denis has already joined the Hamilton Bulldogs while Henry, cleared by doctors to resume practising, will do so tonight.

1. HabsProf says:

It’s late, so I don’t know if anyone will see this, but what the hey…

I did some digging. During the 70′s, the Leafs made the playoffs 8 out of 10 years. Sounds impressive, but….

1) The Leafs won exactly 1 playoff series. The other 7 years that they made the postseason, they lost in the first round.
    2) As you would expect given their playoff “success”, they barely qualified for the playoffs in those years. Their best regular season finish was 4th in a 7 team division.
    3) This occurred during the rapid expansion era.

Their cumulative regular season record during the 70′s?

788GP, 334W, 324L, 130T, 798PTS, 2613GF, 2729GA.

That’s right, the Leafs finished a grand total of 10 games over .500 during the 70′s, and were outscored by 114 goals.

The Habs by contrast?

1) 9 seasons in the playoffs. Twice they lost in the first round, once in the second round. The other six years were, of course, Cup wins.
    2) Other than 1970 when they finished 5th in the league, but also 5th in the conference (and therefore missed the postseason), the Habs never finished lower than 3rd in their conference. Six years they won it. Five years they finished with the league’s highest point total.

And as for the cumulative 10 year regular season record…

788GP, 499W, 155L, 134T, 1132PTS, 3258GF, 2003GA.

The Habs finished 344 games above .500. The Leafs, recall, only won 334 games, period. That’s right: Montreal finished more games above .500 than the Leafs even won. Montreal outscored the opposition by 1,255 goals.

Far from winning during the 70′s, the Leafs were an ordinary/average team. Given that at the start of the decade the Leafs were an established franchise only 3 years removed from a Cup victory and given that the league went from 6 teams in 1967 to 17 by the end of the 70′s, you would have expected the Leafs to have amassed a solid record during this period. Instead, the Leafs’ performance was pathetic. It was, well, Laffable.

I want what Wilson is smoking.

2. Tom S. says:

OT, but I needed a Laff:

“Goddamn it, I was a Yankee fan in the 1970s and the Sixties, when they stunk — and when the Leafs were winning,” Wilson said.

Leafs were winning in the 70s?? Who knew?

Someone’s hitting the sauce!!

3. HabFab says:

Robert L ,check out the Canadiens web site and interesting figures re total players in Canadiens history and those that played on Cup teams.Neither figure seems that high especially considering 99 and 24 of each.

SORRY ROBERT MY MUG CAME UP AND NOT YOURS WHEN I PASTED

Submitted by Robert L on Tue, 10/07/2008 – 15:39.
    Hi people,

By this weekend I will be posting a new entry here dealing with raffle of Habs items of memorabilia at the Summit for the benefit of the Gainey Foundation.

Chuck and I will be handling all of the intricacies behind the scenes, and there is a strong chance that a representative from the Foundation takes part in our meal and raffle.

Our idea is to gather up roughly 50 to 60 items dealing with the Habs, be it books, posters, videos, hockey cards, jerseys and just about anything relating to the Canadiens. Our wish is that there be at least one raffle prize for everyone for purchases tickets.

I have offered up a $2000, 700 card Wayne Gretzky Collection as a grand prize that will likely be drawn in a separate raffle, and Chuck is putting forth a signed Andrei Markov Habs jersey from the Hall Of Fame Game in Toronto a few seasons back.

Of course, when asking you for items, we are not expecting anyone to give up items precious to them. Consider it an exanchange of gifts between fans for a good cause. Other than my collections, I will be adding three or four other things myself.

I’d like those of you that are participating in the summit to discuss this idea with Chuck and I, and tell us if you have anything to offer. This idea can only work with the full participation of everyone involved.

To view photos of my Gretzky’s, follow this link to a previous post at my site.

Thanks all, for your help in this!

6. Tom S. says:

Well done Prof. IMO, Wilson was trying to find some positives out of the circumstances he finds himself. There’s not much to cheer about if you’re a Laffs fan, so, he tried his best to find a positive, ANY positive for the fans of that sad-sack team. But to say that the Laffs have ANYTHING in common with the Yankees is ludicrous. To me, it’s very similar to the declaration that Maurice made at the beginning of the season last year that the Laffs “would compete for the Cup”. Simply put: a lot of hot air.

Prof – great post. To summarize, the Habs, under Sam Pollock, were well prepared for the expansion era and had a strong foundation going into the 1970′s. The Leafs, under Smythe/Ballard, plundered and pillaged the team (right after their 67′ Cup win) which laid the foundation for the present day laffs.

Going for the Brass Ring – 25 Cups in 100 Years

8. Skotbot says:

This is the information on the website so far:

Salon International des Collectionneurs
    —200 KIOSQUES—-
    VENTES/ACHATS/ÉCHANGES

-Exposants d’un bout à l’autre du Canada.
    -Plusieurs exposants corporatifs
    -Plus de 50 collectionneurs invités
    -Écran silencieux
    -Gradation de cartes sur place

Admission:
    Adultes: 9.00$
    Age D’or: 8.00$
    6 à 16 Ans: 6.00$
    Moins de 6 ans: Gratuit
    Passeport 3 jours: 23.00$

Invités VIP Vendredi:

Ben Cahoon et Avon Cobourne 19h30 à 20h30

Invités VIP Samedi:
    Charlie Hodge 11h à 13h
    Andre Dawson 13h à 15

Invités VIP Dimanche: Guy Carbonneau 13h à 15h

Autres invités VIP à venir.

- Vendredi 17h à 22h
    - Samedi 10h à 18h
    - Dimanche 10h à 17 h
    Du 24 octobre 2008 au 26 octobre 2008
    Promoteur : Léandre Normand
    Infos: 514-525-6001

No mention of the Kots bros or Price. But you might have insider details :P

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable?
    Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

9. Drew42 says:

Hey everyone,

I know that there are quite a few people on here who are out west.

Another poster (Habfan in Canuckland) brought up the idea of a mini Habs summit here in Vancouver to go see them hammer the Canucks in February.
    How many people would be interested in this idea??

Please let me or “Habfan in Canuckland” know so we can all start trying to organize it!

Contact either Habfan in Canuckland or myself: check contact info.

(Within the next week or so once we have an idea of the numbers, we can update everyone on what the ideas could be…feel free to send your suggestions too)

cheers

10. The Teacher says:

Wow, Henry can sure get around!!!

11. HabFab says:

I knew he was tall but what a reach…

12. Tom S. says:

OK, what am I missing??? The site is a rather long one.

13. Mr.Hazard says:

LOL!!

Ex nihilo nihil fit

14. HabFab says:

Proof reader has finally struck ,lol.

15. Tom S. says:

In line with Drew42′s request, I’m in Windsor, ON. Are there any Habs fans from the area who would like to attend Habs games in Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa or Montreal – subject to availability of course since a Habs game will likely be very hard to get based on how good they’re getting. It’s been quite a while since I’ve attended a live Habs game and I’m jonesing for one, real bad.

16. Drive_For_25 says:

I’m from Windsor too, but laid off (like most of the city) so no $$ for games right now. I you can find cheap tickets which is very unlikely, post it up here and hopefully I see it.

17. secretdragonfly says:

lol, since when is Windsor considered “out west”?

18. HabFab says:

Read the second sentence up top.

19. Tom S. says:

This is the top of the page…

Week 5 Picks
    We are here at Week 5. This week has some very interesting games happening so I am looking forward to seeing how accurate my picks are. So lets get started with the picks…

Tennessee Titans @ Baltimore Ravens:
    This has the potential to be the game of the week. It should be interesting to see how Joe Flacco does against the Titans defense. It should be interesting to see how Kerry Collins does against the Baltimore defense. Should be a great game. Fantasy players, if you have the Titans defense, START IT! The Titans take this one.

I don’t see anything…

20. HabFab says:

Tom ,read the original post from HIO.

21. Tom S. says:

OH! Got it. Thanks.

22. HabFab says:

So if we go to a game are you going to bring your girlfriend there?

23. The Teacher says:

LOL, thanks for the laugh Tom.

I think they don’t put the person who posts the articles so we can’t give them grief over it. Are they becoming sensitive? lol

BTW Stephanie, hope you pay attention to the lesson the Italians will give you :)

24. Tom S. says:

I noticed you’re from Halifax, my wife was born there. Her family’s originally from Tantallon.

25. HabFab says:

Beautiful country,just one of many in our country.Not a local ,have only been here 1.5 years but enjoy the city.

26. HabFab says:

When we were looking for Conrad Martin the other day…believe he might have been the one that Mike Boone said was MIA not Trotter. Does not appear on Hamilton training camp or Cincinnati training camp rosters.

27. twocents says:

Yeah, I read something to that effect over the past two weeks.

28. Exit716 says:

I’m from Amherstburg but we’re moving soon too…back to the Ottawa area.

29. Devin_G7 says:

Cool, someone else from the burg, small world isnt it

30. Tom S. says:

It’s not, but you should read the entire post and you’d have to use you powers of deduction and realize that I was asking those who live in my area if they’d be interested in getting together for games in those cities I listed, but thanks for your post…

31. spirit of the Habs says:

I am wondering if anyone is interested in a ticket to the summit as I am stll going but my brother has dropped out due to having a hockey tournament. Anyways if so contact me.

Canadas Team, Gods Team You name it The Habs are it

32. FSLN says:

Hey, yeah, I’d totally be interested. I was signed up originally but I didn’t get the pay-pal stuff sorted out in time.

You can e-mail me at ethaan@gmail.com

Cheers!
    Ethan

33. nightmare_49 says:

Finally somebody is speaking out about dumping salary in the Russian league (an excerpt) .. This process of stashing salaries in the Russian league is absurd, and something the league should outlaw as soon as possible. If Chicago can dump all $6.75-million of Nikolai Khabibulin ridiculous contract in one fell swoop, it makes the notion of a hard cap a complete farce .. by James Mirtle .. and here’s the rest of the story … http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2008/10/blackhawks-end-goalie-charade-khl-could.html …………………………………………. Waiver Wire Fills Up .. Darren Helm, Ville Leino and Jonathan Ericsson sent down by Detroit .. by James Mirtle ….. http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2008/10/waiver-wire-fills-up.html ……….. NY Time’s Morning Skate .. by Stu Hackel ….. http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/07/the-morning-skate-the-nhls-european-vacation-whats-the-message/#more-907 ……………….. Finally Patrick O’Sullivan signs 3 year contract (with details) .. by Rich Hammonds ….. http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/2008/10/osullivan-contract.html …….. Now the Kings are over salary cap ceiling.

34. Tom S. says:

Exit716 – A’Burg – moving away.
    Devin_G7 – A’Burg
    Drive_For_25 – Windsor

Is this it for Windsor-area Habs fans or are there more anyone else here knows about?

Sullivan has signed a 3 year contract with the Kings which puts them above the cap floor. Gaborik would be a good fit here for next year – lots of cap space and an up and coming centre to play with on the top line.

Going for the Brass Ring – 25 Cups in 100 Years

36. nightmare_49 says:

Afternoon Delight – Corey Murphy on waivers .. by Richard Pollock ….. http://www.illegalcurve.com/2008/10/07/afternoon-delight-13/ ………. Eastern Conference Predictions .. IllegalCurve.com ….. http://www.illegalcurve.com/2008/10/07/eastern-conference-predictions/ ……………… Gilbert Brule is an Enigma .. by Opiated Sherpa ….. http://osherpanews.blogspot.com/2008/10/brule-sent-down.html ………………..

37. likehoy says:

andrei kostitsyn looks like a hired gun

is he seriously that much bigger than sergei!?

38. bidds55 says:

I saw them both with Kovy outside a restaurant last season…Sergei was smaller than the other two, but not that much. I would suggest AK is standing on the sidewalk, while Sergei is standing on the street in that pic.

___________
    For anyone interested, there is an awesome hockey card show at Centre Pierre Charbonneau in Montreal Oct 24, 25, 26 (the weekend of the HIO summit). I have no affiliation with it, but I’ll be there, as will Carey Price, Andrei & Sergei Kostitsyn and more!

39. twocents says:

He’s an inch or two bit taller but, it looks to me like they are standing on stairs… and not the same one.

40. J.T. says:

Man, Andrei is one homely dude! Good thing for him he can play hockey, because he wouldn’t make a dime on his looks.

41. filincal says:

he looks like a KGB hitman…I think thats a good thing though

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!