Del Zotto Hearts Prust

Brandon Prust

Let’s take a much-needed break from the drudgery of collective bargaining talk and the possibility of a lockout. Let’s learn a bit more about one of the newest Canadiens, Brandon Prust.

A valuable, aggressive winger for the Rangers team that made a deep playoff run last season, Prust’s departure from New York was bemoaned by a number of Rangers fans. He was also considered a very good teammate and his signing a free agent contract with the Habs in July has at least one of his former Broadway Blueshirt teammates a bit dismayed.

That would be defenseman Michael Del Zotto.

The pair were good buddies in the Big Apple, and — like Carey Price and P.K. Subban — had a little handshake ritual at the end of games (done here with Dan Boyle).

and their ritual had some friendly variations:

And the two also hung out off the ice in the Big Apple. here with Steve Eminger…

…and here with Eminger and Marc Staal hard at work.

“He is a great player,” Del Zotto said recently on the interview with the Score, “but we became such close friends off the ice, and having a guy that you spend time with every day and having him go is tough.”

How close? Close enough for Del Zotto to admit to the Score he’s got a bromance going with Prust.

Check it out:

Prust is obviously a character guy as his bouts with Milan Lucic and Wayne Simmonds showed, taking on bigger guys and displaying lots of heart in doing so. He was clearly popular with the Rangers…

…and the Canadiens will now be the beneficiaries of that.

1. Alexandre says:

Great player I love his game. From my point of view he is life coach for the team.

2. bwoar says:

Don Fehr, making lockouts with no pay a real blast:

“A lot of different guys are showing up to meetings and it’s great to be apart of it. It’s fun. It’s interesting. You’re going against some very powerful people that own multimillion-dollar companies and hockey teams.”
    — Scott Hartnell

What could be better, eh? We can’t play hockey, so let’s go up against the rich and band together to stick it to THE MAN! Who cares if we’re biting the hands [of the fans] that feed us and put our kids in good schools and set us up for life? It’s fun! It’s all about the team! [Until the knives come out after the escrow funds run out, then it's all about which of us is gonna get screwed, like it was last time.]

This is exactly the thing that sickens me. Of COURSE, Fehr is a great communicator. OF COURSE, he isn’t going all “hardcore lawyer” in explaining how the owners have nothing to back up their position. Fehr’s got, by far, the easiest position right now: trotting out charts, emails and mobile apps to help explain to a few hundred man-children how, if they only stick together, those nasty, powerful people who own hockey teams will continue to throw down $152 million to the top 1% of players, and how it helps everyone.

So long as he makes it fun, and a team sport, it’ll be just like coming to the rink and hitting each other from behind, right? Right? Of course. Hey, send out another printable dartboard of Gary Bettman to the union. BCC the little jerk on that too, that oughta show him what we think.

It would be a lot easier to have sympathy for the players if they weren’t making a show about just how darn terrific it is to be part of an ugly labour dispute. It’s squarely the PA’s fault that negotiations didn’t happen previous to the 11th hour, but we get an earful about how brilliant Donald Fehr’s communication skills are. It’s like watching a bunch of sailors totally oblivious to the rocks in their path, telling us how great the captain is and how the ship has never been better run.

When the bottom 10% of players get tossed overboard during the realpolitik of the negotiations, which of their awesome mates will rush to throw them a cash lifejacket? Or will the beneficiaries go back to their $100 plate dinners, muttering about the texts they keep getting from the soon-to-be AHLers, and Swiss-leaguers they were having so much fun bonding with at the union meetings, thinking, “I never liked that jerk anyhow” ??

Will a single player speak up for the fans? Bettman has already patronized us horribly. It should be a slam-dunk to apologize for the whole mess, take the high road, excuse us and these idiot owners, dear fans, while we do some housekeeping for 2014. But instead we’re told just how wonderful things are! How rosy are our futures! How interesting it is to NOT play hockey! How WE are in control this time! How the owners have not a leg to stand on! Oh, they’ll give up! They have to! They’ll never break us in a million years! And they’re the ones ruining the game in the first place, amirite? TROOSTORYBRO!

I’ll be catching a lot more MJHL games this year. Bringing my girls to a rink where kids play because of the love of the game and a dream of playing it for a living. I won’t be wearing a Habs jersey or any other NHL gear this year, even if things somehow get going in December. If the players, who grew up dreaming of playing hockey for a living, are more interested in playing a losing game of chicken than acting for the good of the sport, what kind of example is that for our children? I mean, we know that rich tycoon types are always gonna be there to try and scrape as much capital up off our shoes as they can. Big business will ever do as it will. Crush the dreams and the dreamers, take their cuts and let the free market sort ‘em out. This will never, ever change no matter who occupies where for however long. But watching hockey, and pretending to BE that guy on the ice, putting that goal home or making that last minute save, we can always have that too – just as long as we ignore the gong show they make every few years about being entitled to their entitlements. And laughing in our faces about it, because, well, they are simply above (most of) our levels. The reason we haven’t heard anything sincere from the players, addressing what a drag this is for the fans (and I mean the kids, hockey’s true heart), is because they simply don’t care. That’s a lesson we as fans should remember when they finally sort out their cuts of the bonanza. Neither side gives a lick for you and yours.

3. Bripro says:

Did anyone notice that Brandon Prust is wearing a “Hurley” t-shirt in the short video?
    There’s some symbolism there.
    So the kid has taste in hockey teams AND beers.
    He has to be a Guinness drinker.
    I wonder if he’s single. My daughter’s a pretty brilliant mind and a taekwondo ass-kicker.
    Hmmmm.

• secretdragonfly says:

Sorry Bri, I heard he has a long-time girlfriend from Montreal. You’ll have to keep trying for the role of NHL father-in-law.

• --Habs-- says:

Not sure of his t-shirt but just watched a fight between him and Lucic and from the inside Prust clocks him one right on the chin. Enough for Lucic to back away hurt… Lucic skates away arms waving….not sure why

Go HABS Go

So the voice of Sesame Street character The Count has passed away. Given how often JM was referred to as the Count here, figured may be of interest.

5. --Habs-- says:

Whats going on with PK. Will he be traded? There is plenty of talk that he is being shopped around.

Go HABS Go

• Newf_Habster says:

He is not going anywhere, period. If it comes from hockeyyinsiderr or incarceratedbob, do not believe them at all!

• frontenac1 says:

Very much doubt it.

• --Habs-- says:

Actually was working in Jersey 3 weeks and his name came up several times on a Philly sports talk radio. Interviewees on the flyers were not claiming talks when asked about PK and his availability and kept saying they were looking within but nobody was denying talks either…..Then I come home and not even a peep on negotiations in 3 weeks…Its not like they have 10 players to sign.

Go HABS Go

• habstrinifan says:

If HIO’s ambivalence towards P.K is reflective of Hab’s management’s ambivalence towards P.K then the answer is maybe.

There was a link to an article describing a rather scientific and responsible approach by P.K and his trainer to combat P.K’s propensity to carry some extra fat due to his taste for carbohydrates… bread in particular. As a fan of anything that should and must be accompanied by good bread I fully appreciated and applauded P.K’s effort. In fact I tried one of the ‘back-opening’ warm-ups they cited today with some degree of success and pride.

As of 10:30 AM, which is approximately the time I left my computer, I had not seen ONE SINGLE post which did not comment on the article WITHOUT some rectitudinous observations as to what P.K should or should NOT do in his on-ice game/behaviour to get the full support of HIO and his teammates.

Even some of the best HIO posters were in on it. Even one of the paid scribes had his wry bent on it.

Me! I just thought it was very commendable for P.K and his trainer and showed the lad is aware of himself and determined to back up his over-the-top confidence by preparing for the battles he would face.

I dont remember Pacioretty’s similarly outstanding efforts to increase his strength and agility being met with such ambivalence and rectitudinous commentary.

But then again I am sure someone would read those same posts and deplore my sensitivity… or maybe P.K’s.

Really? Because there werent enough posts about his conditioning this means we want him traded or dont care about him? I actually remember posting a similar video of him and his workout regime last year and there were comments made about how hard he works. I just don’t think people were shocked or surprised. I for one was not at all surprised, however, I have read for a few years now about his extremely rigourous training methods.

I love PK, I love his exuberence, his passion, his flare and most of all his work ethic. I also love the fact that he will become a much better player in a few years than he already is. With those improvements will come maturity as well.

I don’t know, just don’t get the anxiety related to PK, at the risk of repeating ad nauseum, this is extremely similar to when Price resigned his 2nd contract with team.

• habstrinifan says:

You missed my point completely. I was not commenting on how many posts there were. I said that each and every post ABOUT the link to the article/video contained some sort of message to P.K to modify his on ice behaviour. I invite you to go back and read the posts (before 10:30) and you will find that I am right. No one could bring themselves to applaud his workout without mentioning that he better change.

Well I don’t want him to change, I just want him to evolve as a player like all young players go through. I recall Sidney Crosby receiving lots of comments regarding his maturation on the ice, I recall the same of Gretzky.

I just don’t think people have anything against him, but rather have huge expectations, he is the most exciting player we have had in years.

• Bill H says:

Sadly, PK is as good as gone. I have it on good authority. My barber has a sister. The sister has a brother in law. The brother in law’s dental hygienist’s sister’s college roommate lives on the same street as Marc Bergevin’s assistant. Anyway, the word has come down. Subban won’t open training camp with the Canadiens. They are shopping him and are just hammering out the details of the deal.

You can give that an e4.

6. --Habs-- says:

Hey a Prust in the linup brings us back to the Nilan days. He’ll fight anyone including good players so that keeps good players on edge. That a good thing! Maybe of Lucic or Marchand take a run at Price this year there will be a response including a run at Rask. Thats what we need.. Yes we need scoring but if our players can play with confidence of protection it makes
    scoring goals much easier.
    Go HABS Go

7. 123456 says:

since there is too much talk about boring labor negotiations i wanted to give a shout-out to a team i coached in a street hockey tournament here in roch, ny on saturday. my mite team was the runner-up and the kids had a great time. it was the first time the event was put on and it was a blast.

besides being almost 90 degrees, blasting sun and playing 5 games in 7 hours on blacktop it was a great time.

little hockey players are the best!!

• Ian Cobb says:

Good for you Mr. Habitant!
      So much fun to coach kids and watch them grow in experience and confidence. Nothing better than to give of yourself to children!

8. Bripro says:

Here’s an update from the NHL.

9. SmartDog says:

Okay, let’s play:

“DURING THE LOCKOUT, I AM GOING TO: _________________________”

I’ll go first:
    During the Lockout I am going to…. learn to make voodoo dolls. I’ll start with one of Bettman.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Habfan10912 says:

During the Lockout I am going to…. miss hockey. :(

———————————–

• gordon bombay says:

During the lockout, I am going to cancel my RDS subscription.

• Chuck says:

Petition to have a women’s beach volleyball league get prime-time coverage on RDS.

___________________________________________________

• Ian Cobb says:

ROB,

If I am locked out from watching hockey, I am headed close to the equator to ride out the winter.
      Not sure which Island or country will be safe and my Canadian dollar goes the farthest for a few months??
      Any suggestions out there.

• Cal says:

During the lockout, me and my buddies (all rocket scientists, by the way) are going to build Bettman-Fehr seeking devices that will climb up both their behinds and tear them a new one. Their high-pitched girly screams will entertain us while we await an emergency agreement announcement. Oh yeah, I forgot to say that they’ll receive a message with the first device that a second will be launched in 48 unless hockey commences.

During the Lockout, I am going to Bitch about the Lockout. I may also watch lots of NFL football, golf as many games as the weather allows and then bitch some more about the lockout.

• Jarliy says:

DURING THE LOCKOUT, I AM GOING TO: Play lots more Beer/Pond hockey. I might even volunteer to help with Timbits team. Oh! And watch more European/Russia hockey *shudders*…

You just been Subbang’d!

• twilighthours says:

Do a lot more running. No excuses now. It’s time to get fast.

• bleedhabs81 says:

This is one thing I am worried about.

Last year I would set up shop on the treadmill and watch the last two periods of the hockey game (PVR’d – so I could elimiated commercials and intermission… plus the game starts when I am stuck in traffic on the drive home)

Without that 45 – 60 minute distraction, what the heck am I going watch while I jog? Darts?

(walks out of room mumbling and then an audible but distance “That’s it, I am getting fat”)

• twilighthours says:

Get outside, sir. Preferrably on trails. So much more fun.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I am a fair weather runner… and when it is -30 for weeks at a time, you just don’t want to be outside for very long.

If it not -30 it is fluctuating above and below 0, making the sidewalks a sheet of ice or slush (or both).

Maybe I will go with plan B, spend more “quality time” with the wife… ok, 15 minutes have been accounted for… what next?

• Kage says:

During the lockout, I am going to be spending a lot more Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights with my wife.

oh god i hope they get this sorted out before the season is supposed to start… :\

———————————————————-
      “I need players who hate to lose!”

• trainerguy says:

Fortunately the lockout will not impact AHL or Junior hockey so I plan on taking my son to see more Hamilton Bulldog games as well as junior hockey in Mississauga and Brampton.

Mark

• Bripro says:

… I am going to reluctantly hand over the remote for the big screen, since the agreement in our house is I watch it if there’s hockey; otherwise I get relegated to the basement to watch whatever else, while my wife, kids and grandchild hog the big screen to watch a bunch of pregnant teenagers, or hoarders, or tattoo artists, or OWN, or ….well, you get the idea.

• bleedhabs81 says:

that just sounds aweful!!

My wife is currently watching Bachelor Pad. SHe asked if she could watch it while I was getting ready for bed last week…

Man… I wanted to shoot myself after 2 minutes of that crap.

• Cal says:

You lasted 2 minutes? Now, that’s perseverence! ;)

• bleedhabs81 says:

I usually only last 64 seconds…. of course, that is an altogether different bed time activity!

• Bripro says:

I see I’m not the only one who thinks that TV’s in the tank!

• bleedhabs81 says:

THere are still great shows out there, with Breaking Bad at the top of the pile.

It’s just with all the channels we now have, the shows are diluted down with crap

wait… this kind of reminds me of something….

Dental Plan! Lisa Needs Braces. Dental Plan! Lisa Needs Braces. Dental Plan! Lisa Needs Braces.

I’ve got it! It is like the NHL. Watered down with too many teams.

• Bripro says:

You had me all confuzzled! 8)
            Lisa is my wife’s name also, but she’s already had her braces.

On top of it, what does bad TV have to do with a dental plan?

• bleedhabs81 says:

is your sarcasm font on?

“The dental plan. Lisa needs braces” is a scene from the simpsons where Homers union wants to cut the dental plan, but at the same time lisa needs expensive braces. Homer sits there and tries to make the link between the two by repeating those two sentences in his head (voiced by lenny and marge).

He is then interupted by a well dropped pencil into is butt crack, to which he gets upset at the culprits for ruining his train of thought. He then goes back to thinking and finally puts it all together. He needs the dental plan to pay for the braces… and he becomes the union leader and strikes against Mr Burns. Hilarity ensues.

If your sarcasm font was on… well… lol, I say, lol.

• ConcussionLikeSymptoms says:

procrasturbate…………….more than usual

10. habsnyc says:

The NHL sysyem is broken at every level. At this point, I enjoy debating the game with my fellow fans more than I enjoy watching it. I’m not sure I even need there to be a season to enjoy the camaraderie of being a Habs fan.

The cost of watching a game continues to escalate. The quality and sincerity of the product continues to decline. I will not root for the owners who preside over a flawed system, nor will I root for players who refuse to be tested for drugs and who brutalize eachother. I will not have my opinions shaped by biased media that pays for the league for broadcast rights or by reporters whose livelyhood depends on player access. I have formed my own opinion. Since the prior lockout, all the money I used to spend on sports tickets now goes to charity.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

11. longtimehabsfan says:

So, what will you being doing during the lockout?

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

• habs-hampton says:

I just picked up “The Game” to read. I read it when it was first published, but not since.

Alan Eagleson was running the show during Dryden’s time. It’s hard to imagin, but this convicted felon who stole all that money will probably have a more favorable legacy than Bettman 50 years from now. At least he wasn’t the cause of 3 work stoppages.

12. --Habs-- says:

Prust will be a great addition. I can’t wait to see Purst, White and may be Moen step up and cause havoc on the ice. Maybe this will give Moen a bit more of a bite.

Go HABS Go

• punkster says:

Please, we’ve had enough havoc on the ice. Less havoc, more goals.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Chuck says:

Agreed. Goals win games. Score more goals.

___________________________________________________

How about some ruckus with the goal scoring, just a little bit?

• Chuck says:

Well… ok. Some. Ok, a lot. But not at the expense of goals.

___________________________________________________

• ProHabs says:

I would sacrifice a couple of goals to see some Bruins eat some knuckle sandwiches.

• SmartDog says:

There’s that C word again: communicator. Maybe some day we’ll have one of those as a leader. (At ice level I mean.)

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• habs-hampton says:

“The 64-year-old has travelled to Moscow, Barcelona, Chicago and Kelowna, B.C., to discuss strategy, face-to-face.”

He MUST be a good communicator if he convinced the players that a trip to Barcelona was essential during these negotations. Where to go next??? Sydney, Australia? LOL!

• Cal says:

Until those paycheques don’t come in. Try telling the majority of players (whose careers last 4 or 5 seasons) that it’s a smart thing to lose 20 to 25% of their earning potential. If Fehr can convince the players that they are in the right and it’s ok to lose their pay, he’s some kind of magician.

Not that I am on the owners’ side, either. I am on the side of the fans and the poor folks who have to work at the games to get their bucks.
      Frankly, though, they can all take a flying leap.

• --Habs-- says:

Ya its been a while since we’ve been able to inflict damage to the Bruins……We could have had an inflicter if big George felt like inflicting. I want a line that can play tough and inflict. Sorry if that goes against the goal scoring wave. Goals will be tough to come by without some toughness.

Go HABS Go

13. habsfan0 says:

So, a hockey lockout AND a PQ government both look inevitable at this point.

Safe to say, most people on this board are NOT humming this tune nowadays.

Hey your Bills picked up a new QB last night from Seattle. Guy has loads of talent but hasn’t made it work for him yet. Maybe Buffalo will be the right spot at the right time for Tavaris Jackson.

Cheers Bud.

• habsfan0 says:

Actually, it seems more like a move of desperation by Bills’ management at this point,as both Thigpen & Young have looked horrible. Oh well, at least the Bills didn’t lose a first round draft pick to injury on Saturday,unlike the team in black & gold.

I was actually being completely serious about Jackson possibly fitting in with the Bills. I completely agree about Thigpen and Young.

Was a terrible loss for Pittsburgh losing DeCastro, feel bad for the kid as that is some serious reconstruction he will have to go through. Hate to see any of the players getting injured like that, no matter which team they play on.

• habsfan0 says:

Gerry,a lot of Bills fans are rationalizing the team’s poor play during their first 3 exhibition games,saying “it’s only the pre-season. Doesn’t mean anything.” Well, it seems to me,that was EXACTLY what a lot of us Habs’ fans were saying last fall, as the Canadiens won only 1 pre-season game. Unfortunately,as we all know,the Habs then went on to record arguably their worst regular season record in the last 50 years.

Time will tell.

Your defence looks good, especially the Defensive Line. The running backs look okay and you have some depth there as well.

Big issue is QB’s and Receivers. Chan Gailey needs to be a little more conservative this year and run a basic ball control offense and play to the teams strengths. Tough times indeed in Buffalo, but at least they did spend some money this offseason.

• habsfan0 says:

Yes, Bills’ management went completely against form,with the way they were spending money with reckless abandon. Perhaps nonagenarian owner Ralph Wilson is beginning to see “the light”.

No pun intended.

• punkster says:

In the words of a famous philosopher…
      “It ain’t over ’til it’s over”

or

“90% of political polls are right but the other half are wrong”.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Cal says:

Can you say CAQ around here without getting, um, poo-pooed? ;)

• Ian Cobb says:

Not another PQ gov. in Quebec please!!
      The P.Q. spent most of that provinces wealth into stupid policies, putting Quebec into a third world province. Then cry to Ottawa for more bucks!

I applaud the N.S. government, who has given Labrador a new corridor right away, to ship it’s hydro to Boston and N.Y., and cut out Quebec completely. Quebec now have less hydro, no gas or oil transmission pipe line from the west. They are in trouble!

They will sink even more deeply as our country’s economy leaves them behind. It is a shame, that is brought on by poor selfish P.Q. polices.

• Cal says:

Ian, Quebec has plenty of hydro-electricity. James Bay was capitalized entirely by the Americans, so they get the lion’s share of electricity generated there. It’s the same with James Bay II.
        Saying, “our country’s economy leaves them behind” is like saying Quebec is already its own country. I live in La Belle Province and am a proud Canadian.
        The separatists have splintered into 3 parties with the PQ, Option Nationale and Quebec Solidaire. They will have trouble gaining support. The Charest government has left Montreal and its road system a shambles and the medicare system a private clinic wreck. He will be shown the door in the same manner as Mulroney’s old government back in 93. I think the CAQ will get a lot of votes, because Charest lost mine a long time ago.
        There, enough bleeping politics.

• Ian Cobb says:

I am a former Quebecker and very disappointed in how that province has conducted itself in my great country politically, not the people or the Hab’s..

• habsfan0 says:

Ian,while things don’t look all that great in regards to the summit taking place at the end of October,whatever happened to the tentative swimming party that was supposed to be held at your home in beautiful,downtown Belleville?

Or,are we being “locked out”of your swimming pool as well? lol

14. HabFab says:

And a tweet from one of the TSN990 guys that I’m sure we all agree with;

mckennaconor – Here’s hoping Mike Boone aka @HabsBlogger keeps writing about the team he loves, retirement or no.

15. Hobie Hansen says:

Waiting anxiously for the NHL and NHLPA to reach an agreement pisses me right off. IF I were an average fan I’d have a lot less trouble trouble saying “the hell with it” and shifting my attention elsewhere.

But if you’re a true fan of the Canadiens you’re way too hooked to not forgive the entire situation the second the puck is dropped. For whatever reason, and it pisses off other cities, Canadiens fans treat the players and the organization like gods.

And with the TV telecasts now a days, amazing picture quality and sound, It’s going to be a real bummer not having three or four nights a week of Canadiens hockey. There are only so many reruns of Storage Wars or Poker a man can take ;-).

16. HabFab says:

Stubbs take on the PK workout video;

Dave_Stubbs So based on that feature, I guess P.K. Subban will have plenty of strength to sign a #Habs contract – eventually

17. accp says:

Anyone that supports Millionaires or Billionaires deserve what they get …
    people came back after the first lockout and they’ll do it again and those are the people whom does most of the whining.

You do realize that any of us that simply turn our TV on to watch a game on a Cable Channel are supporting them right? By subscribing to either Rogers/Bell and having the sports stations which in turn leads to higher ratings is also supporting both sides. It isn’t just ticket sales anymore or purchasing merchandise which supports this league.

I will readily admit that I am guilty of going back to watching as soon as the lockout will end, because i really enjoy watching Habs hockey.

As for weather I qualify for the title “whiner”, well I get frustrated by both sides in the negotiations.

18. secretdragonfly says:

Unrelated topic but has anyone else seen the photo of Pauline Marois on The Gazette’s website this morning, demonstrating her real feelings about the average Quebec citizen in light of the most recent polls?

19. And to follow up.

He is an adult and he has presented some problems to us in the past. As you may realize, public libraries attract a wide variety of patrons. For some reason, this one has chosen to use our free services for less than stellar reasons.

And guys, unless I want to press charges, we will not be receiving names.

Personally, I don’t have time. Hopefully this member will understand that what he is doing is illegal, and if sent to the wrong person could hurt them.

Me, doesn’t bother me one bit.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• slamtherimtim says:

a library , what scum

• Un Canadien errant says:

Obviously joking about names Sholi. Maybe this sad and lonely guy will get a swift kick in the pants from being shamed in his community. I know I’d be devastated if I was banned from my library. It might give this guy a wake-up call and maybe he’ll figure things out.

Surprised he is an adult, I would have thought he’d be a teenager with few friends and little social interaction. Like a young me.

• I thought for sure he was a kid too.

Three or four years ago this happened to me, and kind of a similar situation, but that time his emails were telling me that I should have killed myself, and he was calling me a baby killer. Told me things that no one should here. Made fun of my wife, and threatened my children. I kept the guy going while all the same made a phone call to the local police station. It was a small town and they were able to act on it right away. It was funny in a way. I was actually able to get google images of his house, and in my last email to him before the police arrived I sent him what I was doing. I never heard from him again, and still smile to this day about the fright he must have gotten as he received pictures of his home, and how the next knock he heard was from the local police det.

I have 15 more minutes before I start my day. tic tic tic

They Call Me Shane
        “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
        Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

• Chrisadiens says:

Nice work Shane. Hopefully this is all over.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

20. Happy Monday ALL

I received this email this morning from the director of the Poughkeepsie Public Library District

I apologize for the inappropriate use one of our patrons has made of our public Internet access. We have ended his privileges at our library so I hope you will not receive further emails from him from us.

Thanks.

—————————————-
    Tom Lawrence, Library Director
    Poughkeepsie Public Library District

One less place this sick little person can send emails from.

Have a great day.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

21. habstrinifan says:

I was going along reading the posts which reflected the moods of all the segments of the HIO fandom right now. Resolve; optimism; realism; anger; desiderium.

And then I read this one post. It was a funny post. Short and personal in a light way. It’s TV commercial funny.

This person could be in trouble though. Or maybe it’s me!
    And I once again I am lost on the concourse of convivial camaraderie. Could I have totally misunderstood his simple post.
    It’s the type of posts that makes fun and scary.

Did he really say that?

I wont identify the post. But as you read on today see if there is any post that makes you say WOW MAN! Your bacon could be cooked!

22. Un Canadien errant says:

An interesting article on P.K.’s nutritional plan and training program.

———————————————————————–
    This isn’t “Billionaires vs. Millionaires.” Only a willfully uninformed fool would apply that sloppy shorthand designation to this disgraceful power grab crafted by some of the wealthiest individuals and corporate entities in North America aimed against professional athletes.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

Your knowledge of the english language is required a little further below UCe, LafleurGuy has posed a question regarding the use of the word center versus centre. Thought I would get our best man on the job. ;-)

• Un Canadien errant says:

I posted the first hit I came up with on Google as an answer to your question. Short answer, they’re the same, the ‘re’ ending is preferred in the UK and Canada, same as when spelling ‘metre’.

Troubled that you reply to a killer P.K. link with a grammar question.

After viewing the video, I’m not sure how much credit P.K. deserves. If I worked out that hard, I’d be that strong too.

That indeed is quite the workout and diet. Amazed that PK is up to 220lb’s this offseason in his workouts, I am sure by seasons end that number will be down, but it appears he has taken this offseason even more serious at it relates to his workouts.

Not to stir the pot, but in the video Normand, did you notice the quick panned shot in the gym where it shows a container of Creatine? Wasnt this the same product that let to the downfall of Mark McGwire?

• ed lopaz says:

its my understanding that Creatine is acceptable in pro sports. it is actually produced naturally in the body, supplying energy to the cells – and taking creatine before a physical workout will allow the athlete to train harder and longer.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Negative. Creatine is a legal supplement for every athlete, I believe, it theoretically helps in converting ADP back to ATP, providing more energy more quickly to muscle tissues. It helps athletes train harder and longer, and compete better.

The supplement Mark McGwire was using was androstenedione, a legal supplement that has some of the effects of steroids. The controversy began when a reporter spotted it in his locker and asked him about it. He replied that it’s legal (at the time it was in MLB, illegal in some other sports), no harm no foul. Except that it opened the door to other questions about what other substances he might be using, since his physique had changed markedly over the years, and his pale complexion showed massive acne and scarring, among other signs.

Many years later, his legacy in tatters, and his admission into the Hall of Fame in doubt, Mr. McGwire admitted using steroids while setting his records. Although illegal in the criminal sense, steroid use was not banned by MLB at the time, so in a sense he hadn’t done anything wrong, but his failure to be truthful all these years indicate that he knew it wasn’t right.

I figured it was acceptable Ed, just that name still has a stigma to it I thought. Was kind of surprised I saw it in the video is all.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, UCE’s right. It’s Canuck vs. Yank.
        Like Mum vs. Mom.
        I don’t like how the US version of that word in particular -and many other words in general- has snuck into Canadian usage – mostly from Toronto’s willingness to adopt Americanisms (‘Entree’ used for ‘Main Course’ instead of as ‘Appetiser’, which is what it actually means. From Canada’s second language, no less.)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ahem. One of Canada’s official languages, you mean.

• Mattyleg says:

Agh!! I can’t believe I wrote that!!
            An uncharacteristic slip from an adamant defender of all things French and Francophone.

How embarrassing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Yup blame those people from Hogtown Matty! I can still do the same despite living here, due to my nomadic roots leading back to the Prairies.

• habstrinifan says:

If I may put my two cents worth. The difference is one is American english and one is England english. Coming from a former English colony where the entire education system (textbooks/teachers/ GCE EXAMS) came from England, I still go through the mind bends on words like that. Which should I use. The meaning is the same though and interchangeably used in Canada.

Centre is England’s english.
        Center is American english.

Similarly…
        Traveller is English english.
        Traveler is American english.

I think the common thread is that the spelling has been simplified through common use in America.

Hmmm, so then when I am in Canada I consume Travelers and in the States I consume Travellers, only on the golf course obviously. ;-)

• habstrinifan says:

Other way around I think!

All I know is that Mel Lastman said if the Olympics were held in Africa they would consume both.

I’m outta here… just in time I think.

• Cal says:

Excellent article, UCE. Thanks for the heads up. At 220lbs, PK will be a force to be reckoned with in front of the net. (Besides all of his other attributes.)

• Un Canadien errant says:

I hope he finds a way to harness that gym strength even better on the ice. Being tough in the corners, impossible to move off the puck, standing up to forwards in the crease. Also, maybe he’ll have the strength to clamp his jaw shut instead of wagging it after whistles, and also have the strength to turn and skate away when agitators are in his face.

• Cal says:

I’m not a fan of yapping when you can’t back it up, either. Then again, PK must be PK. MT will work with him on discipline. He has all the skills to be the Habs #1 Dman. I really hope he’s our Next One.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I briefly lost hope for a time last season, some of his antics were unbearable and dishonourable, not worthy of our Habs. I don’t expect him to turn into Pierre Mondou or Mats Naslund, but if he can cut down the antics by 50%, and channel those energies toward his next shift, I’d be happy.

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks UCE for the link! Nice contribution!

• HabFab says:

That focus, commitment and dedication to be the best he can be, along with being charismatic and loving the attention. No wonder the fans and media love him but it would certainly wear on some of the other players including his own teammates. Great link UCe!

23. HabFab says:

A look at some old rules from hockey as pertains to goaltending;

24. Mattyleg says:

Morning, La Gang!

With work starting up again on Tuesday, I shall be back on a more regular basis, and those two packs of clowns had better get their acts together so that I don’t have to waste precious time-wasting minutes at work talking about whether the millionaires or billionaires more deserve my sympathy.

Git ‘er done, boys.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Morning Matty, did Bripro ever get down to your place and finish up that plastering job we had lined up for him?

• Mattyleg says:

Heya Burly,
        No, unfortunately I believe that Bri was in talks with the Plasterer’s Union of the Temperate Zone (PUTZ) after having told them that he wouldn’t get out of bed for less than $500,000, or a pint of scotch.

Apparently the sticking point was Highland vs. Speyside.

The sides were Very Far Apart, so I had to do the plastering myself.

Did a pretty good job in the end, I must say…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Matty. Look forward to your post. Let’s hope the post are about the game and not this other silly stuff with the CBA. CHeers.

———————————–

25. HabFab says:

Morgan Ellis on watching a soccer game;

MorganEllis4- Don’t ask me why but watched 5 mins of a soccer game on TV and seen 4 ppl down rolling around like they took Chara’s clapper to the face!

26. HabFab says:

An interesting article on how amateur scouts work and since we have a number here;

You know, who cares anymore about the agreement?

Only the people that will make the money. The rest of us are ponds, used to gain public sympathy for one side or the other. How stupid are we anyway, to be used this way when we pay their paychecks. Talk about marketing and brain washing a product!

• Cal says:

Right on, Ian. The two parties need to be taught a basic lesson in economics. Alienate your clients and watch your market share drop like a stone. Boycott the NHL and the NHLPA.
      Both sides deserve our inattention.

• Ian Cobb says:

Cal, I am not sure if we are all smart enough to teach them a lesson, but it sure would be nice to show them a thing or two with a supported boycott.!

• Habfan10912 says:

As usual Cal and Ian you are right. Problem is there are to many of me’s out there that will be ready to jump back in when the Puck drops. I wish I (it) were different.

———————————–

• Ian Cobb says:

James, You know the old saying that “you can’t fight city hall” Well I am proof that you can, if you set your mind to it.
          I could not read or write for nearly 60 years, but I took the federal government and the 6th largest corp. in this country to court and beat the pants off them both. I did all the cross examinations of witnesses and strategies. When you are RIGHT you FIGHT. Yes it took a lot out of me for 5 years, but I won without settling for less by their intimidation’s.

It would take a massive amount of energy to organize a boycott, but it could be done by the right dedicated people!

• Lafleurguy says:

I learn from your wisdom, I.C., but I’m a pragmatist in being negatory about dyed-in-the-wool fans abstaining. Some thirty years ago, I couldn’t believe I was the one going out with this beautiful girl. We weren’t good together but couldn’t suppress the compulsion for three years. Our attachment to le Club de Hockey is about a hundred times stronger. BTW, my wife is not as beautiful as L (another L) but she is the BEST.

“May you live in interesting times.”

Sounds like CBA talks will continue tomorrow with NHL expected to present another offer. Evidently both sides have the whole week booked off for labour talks. Lets hope both sides get serious about trying to solve this as opposed to just disagreeing.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Gerald. The two sides have been waging a PR campain with the NHLPA clearly winning. Bettman and the owners have come across as greedy bullys thus far. Having said that i’m not sure if that matters. I dtill think that as this September deadline approaches the negotiations will get more serious and a deal gets done. Fingers crossed.

———————————–

• Lafleurguy says:

Good Morning Gerald and Jim! Disappointment’s the word regarding NHL labour stuff. Hey, on an unrelated matter, is Ben correct in spelling the centre position with the Canadian spelling meant for middle?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Guy. Out of all the posters on this site I am the LEAST qualified to offer spelling tips. :) CHeers.

———————————–

Morning Guy, you too Jim. As for your question, I think you should pose that to our resident English Literary genius Un Canadian errant, our friend Normand knows more about the English language and details pertaining to it than any people I hang out with. :) (Of course we do hang out here together)

I still have a suspicion that the Owners are more sabre rattling than serious about actually using any extended lockout. Seems to me they have to realize that many U.S. marketplaces cannot afford to lose momentum gained in recent years in gaining a foothold in their respective markets.

Despite the ominous CBA talk forecast, I remain positive….. Geez that is really hard to type or believe.

• Un Canadien errant says:

From http://grammarist.com/

Center vs. centre

There is no difference in meaning between center and centre. Center is the preferred spelling in American English, and centre is preferred in varieties of English from outside the U.S.

I assumed that, but was worried there could be some finite detail I was missing and that LafleurGuy had a trick question up his sleeve. :)

• Lafleurguy says:

Well…..do the Habs have too many centers and not enough centres?

“May you live in interesting times.”

@Lafleurguy, I see what you are doing there….. well played.

• HabFab says:

Andrew, my first inclination was to play teacher and send you to stand in the corner.
            Always, always trust your instincts!… now go for 30 minutes and don’t make me pull a bissnasty :)

• Cal says:

It’s time for us fans to not care until they announce an agreement. Even though I can’t help it! ;)

29. rhino514 says:

You know, all it takes is a small group of fans to start threatening a boycott. People could sign in on it and it could snow ball. Probably won´t happen, but it could.
    The owners don´t only bank on the players not being able to survive more than a year without paycheques, they also bank on the laziness and indifference of the average North American Joe regarding any form of protest (much like politicians count on the passivity of its citizens when instituting policies which do not improve our quality of life or failing to institute those which do). Unfortunately, the effect of having numerous franchises below the sun belt is that the average NHL fan today is a far more casual fan and not a passionate animal. To most fans today hockey is just entertainment. As such, it isn´t substantial enough to warrant a backlash.
    If the owners had any inkling that a work stoppage would make for some unhappy people down the road and, subesequently, lost revenue, they wouldn´t be toying with the NHLPA and we´d be heading into training camp shortly. Unfortunately, on this continent, the almight dollar rules. Sadly, both the players and the fans will suffer.

• Habfan10912 says:

Rhino, in a perfect world both sides would be so afraid of a backlash that the very thought of a work stoppage would never occur. I am sure a few fans will be lost if indeed there is a work stoppage however sadly most like me will return. Someone else described us as addicts. Perhaps we are.

———————————–

• Cal says:

We pay the freight. Boycott the NHL and NHLPA. They deserve nothing less.

30. commandant says:

Today I look at the Vancouver Canucks.

And also mention a story of the epic Game 7 between the Manitoba Moose and Hamilton Bulldogs from 2011.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Steven says:

Considering the quality you bring to this site, I think you deserve to take a break and not have to be working into the early hours of the morning, man :P

• Un Canadien errant says:

Pickings is slim on the Canucks farm system. That’s all I ever read in the Province and the Sun. They weren’t overjoyed at the 2012 draft, no name recognition for any of their choices except Brendan Gaunce, no wow factor, the complete opposite of the Canadiens’ draft. The Canadiens grabbed consensus quality prospects, while the Vancouver papers moaned that the Canucks again got cute and tried to act smarter than everyone else with their picks, and they don’t have the credibility to do that based on their record, they argued.

———————————————————————–

31. durocher says:

The Habs ranks #1 in ESPN’s uniform ranking of all NHL, MLB, NBA, and NFL teams.

Seems right to me.

32. HammerHab says:

Just testing to see if my new avatar works….

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

33. AceMagnum says:

So, get Del Zotto too! Pfft….problem solved.

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

34. Un Canadien errant says:

More grist for the mill, re: our discussion regarding guaranteed contracts in the NHL, vs. the situation that exists in the NFL.

One article that sort of makes the case that Brian Urlacher, the best Bear player since the Mike Ditka years, maybe should be released to free up his $8M salary. In a salary cap world, it’s hard to be a fan sometimes.

The next one is even worse. An Indy columnist makes the case for releasing Austin Collie, a wide receiver who has suffered multiple concussions over his brief career. The kicker is, he’s advocating this on humanitarian grounds, for the kid’s own good. He does a great job of shilling for the NFL’s dog-eat-dog system. It also illustrates how powerless the NFLPA has been all along, during Gene Upshaw’s tenure, and what a great mountain they have to climb to get to the same conditions as their colleagues in the other three major sports. How the players of the richest sport in the continent got to be the worse off is puzzling, to say the leasst.

———————————————————————–

35. Un Canadien errant says:

So T.O. has been released by the Seahawks. Seems he still had the dropsies, was still being petulant and difficult.

I wrote a post a few weeks ago about how I was actually worried about T.O., based on a revealing article in Grantland. While some of us might have had a strong hankering to see him fall, it’s not just about him, there are his children involved in his career decline and financial woes, and I’m now actually hoping he catches on with another team and gets his life sorted out. And learns to shut his big yap.

Hard for me to feel any empathy towards a pro athlete who was at the top of his/her resected league in skill and pay. That old slogan of careful who you step on the way up, because you may need them on the way down seems to come to mind. He always came across extremely arrogant to me, I wonder if he ends up trying to catch on in the CFL?

• Un Canadien errant says:

If you read the Grantland article, you’ll see where I’m coming from, especially when you remember T.O.’s accidental overdose from a few years back. I have no love for the guy, but I’m afraid we’re watching him self-destruct before our eyes, and some segments of society are cheering him on.

36. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Re the post by Hobie Hansen on Prust and toughness, I agree 100%, the days of the smurfhabs are finished, the one thing that MB has done with any proficiency this off-season is shedding the “soft” label. A cheap Heavyweight or two singed for one year minimum salary deals would defiantly help but ces’t levi, you can’t always get what you want.

Also, in a few years add in Thrower and Tinordi to the mix and we will be one of the more intimidating teams in the NHL!

A Thrower-Tinordi Defence pairing will scare the Sh*t out of just about anyone.

Now the President of the KHL Dynamo team says Ovechkin is not necessary.

38. HabFab says:

NHL players are to receive their Escrow checks from last season in October. This equals 8% of their salary from last season held in reserve to ensure the planned Revenue for the Salary Cap was meant.