Deal with the Devils

• Ilya Kovalchuk stays put. Sovetsky Sport broke the story … on a tip from Kovy’s mother, who’s undoubtedly happy knowing where her son will be for the next 17 years. The view from L.A. And Kovy is the number five trending topic WORLDWIDE on Twitter

• Simon Gagne to Tampa Bay for not much. Is Kaberle Stevie Y’s next acquisition?

• Gagné’s agent says they talked to the Canadiens

• Shout-out to gK_HabsFan for finding this pre-draft 2007 assessment of Lars Eller

Arpon Basu sizes up number 31

Yvon Pedneault on Markov

Tom Pyatt’s playlist – hip stuff, King ofLeon, etc.

Guy Boucher – Motivator

• Nice feature on Duncan Keith bringing the Cup home

Kevin Paul Dupont says Bruins have cap issues under control

1. The Cat says:

I come here to talk hockey. Honestly I dont care if the habs do good or bad, its better if they do good cause the province is a flutter with hockey fever.

2. SeriousFan09 says:

You know what all Vezina winners and finalists say to each other these days when the Cup Finals are on? “Fore!”

Vezina trophies require a goalie putting in 65+, usually 70 games to get enough wins to merit consideration in the last few years, which means they’re completely burnt out for post-season play and they almost never clear the 2nd round. NJ has won fewer playoff series than MTL in the last 5 years and I don’t see that trend reversing with their new composition.

Trap hockey has inflated Brodeur’s stats for years as well, Scott Clemmensen looked great in NJ when Brodeur was injured in 08-09.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

3. Bill J says:

Check capgeek.com

without Kovy2 signed. they had a few million left.

and Parise is a RFA who has yet to be signed.

Perhaps you are right, he can still manage to keep Parise…. But there WILL be a cost attributed to the signing of Kovy2.

4. TripleX says:

At 500,000?  Of course he is.  That is the bargain of the NHL for a forward with his skill set.

Is Laps TWICE the player SK is or Pouliot THREE times the player?

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

5. TripleX says:

Nothing in the past history of Lou Lamoriello indicates he is incompetent.  Lou would never had made the deal if it meant losing his best young player.  If one word describes Lou it is conservative.

Your argument is based on something that is highly unlikely to occur.

6. light_n_tasty says:

Psshh…Mike Leighton could have put up those numbers if he played for the Devils.  Hell, I would be a Vezina candidate every year if I played for that team.

7. habs001 says:

the players people claim were ruined were way over evaluated by habs supporters…most these players were not that good to begin with….

8. TripleX says:

I don’t recall Carbo or Gainey publicly stating that SK was a problem.  Maybe you can enlighten me on that point.

Boucher said that SK was a model player and his Olympic coach said SK was his best forward.

9. Bill J says:

It’s a FAIL because in order to fit Kovy2 under the team’s cap (because in case you missed the memo, Hockey is a TEAM sport) there are KEY ingredients that will need to be shed.

If getting Kovy2 – costs the Devils someone like Parise because they can not afford him anymore ? Was it worth it ?

Not unless Kovy2 scores 70 goals (30 to make up for the ones lost from Parise)

10. ZepFan2 says:

Actually, YOU fail.

You’re a Nordiques fan. Your opinion on the Habs mean little more than nothing to me. You’re the equivelent of a Leafs fan coming here and trying to pass off their opinion on all the problems the Habs have as if they/you care.

You could care less if the Habs are successful. In fact, I’d go as far as saying you would love it if the Habs never won another cup.

Me, I’m all for the Nords getting a team. It takes the heat off the Habs.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

11. The Cat says:

Jacques Martin looks like an elephant.

12. TripleX says:

Brodeur was the NHL leader in wins last season with 45.  He had a .916 SP and 2.24 GAA with 9 SO.

What a terrible season, he really should retire.  The Devils signed the prized UFA who is a guaranteed 40 goal scorer, and they made a bad move?  I fail to see how making your team stronger is a fail.

Trading away your best goalie for scraps, now that is a fail.

13. The Cat says:

Thanks Bill!

14. The Cat says:

Solid post right there. I agree.

15. Bill J says:

Nah your post was not controversial, I quite honestly wanted to know your opinion.

And re attacking, I agree I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and admittedly accused a few people of “Hating” – in hindsight (and I’ve admitted this already) that was a bit of a stretch.

Do I still think we should all support the team, and whoever plays for the team…. Yes.

16. notbigbird says:

Well, if ruin is too strong a word, I’d like to ask who he has nurtured, developed, taken to the next level, or gotten the best out of. Not Lats, SK, Pax, OB or anybody else that I can think of. Maybe PK in the playoffs, but I live in fear for this season. I look at who gets benched for young mistakes and who plays on and on despite continued veteran errors, and I shake my head in perplexity.

(Useful post that takes us away from the nonsense for a few minutes, however. <g> )

17. TripleX says:

Don’t you think if Price and his agent were prepared to take anything that was offered, he would have signed by now?

18. ZepFan2 says:

I love your positive outlook on the Canadiens. Really refreshing.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

19. nickster13 says:

St louis i think might have a breakout year, they didnt miss out on the playoffs by much. In the new NHL all the teams are very closely matched so anything (such as a good starting goalie) can tip the balance. And for now halak is the better goalie, that wasnt a controversial statement.. St louis on paper probably looks worse, but like i said, with a good goalie anything is possible (see Habs playoffs 2010) and parity is huge, so we will see! And thank you for not attacking me!

20. Bill J says:

irrefutable ?

Try Carbo & Gainey as well.

Fact of the matter is, the “only” coach that HAS gotten something out of SK74 – was Hunter, but in that case. SK74 was on the same line as two VERY highly touted prospects (Sam Gagner & Patrick Kane)

So yeah…. No real evidence on SK74, vis-a-vis Coaches.

21. Bill J says:

Rob Brown.

But he also had a few other wingers that DID go on to do things sans Super Mario…

So ultimately, it can go either way :)

22. avatar_58 says:

Agreed – but whom? Signing a backup means cap relief – hence why Auld was taken. We don’t have the money for an aging starter who wants his dues. Why the heck would a #1 ready guy take less than 3 mil? Price, on the other hand, is still young and unproven so he’ll take what he’s given for another chance.

I would not have traded Huet. I’m sorry. He gets flak now but he was good with the habs. He faltered? We had Price/Halak to save his bacon. But hey – least we got a pick we used for a good player right? Oh wait Tanguay….yeah that worked out REAL well in the playoffs….;)

23. TripleX says:

There are THREE sides to every story Bugs, this is a common truism.

JM’s viewpoint, SK’s viewpoint and the TRUTH which is somewhere in between.

I am just trying to lend some objectivity to the whole debate about SK.  The ONLY coach that had a problem with SK was JM, and that is irrefutable.

I take issue with certain poster’s proclaiming their particular viewpoint as the TRUTH.