Day II of the Gionta era

“It’s pretty special” – Gionta

Martin’s leadership group

Henry could make roster – Pat Hickey

An ideal captain – Mario Tremblay

Former captains like the choice

Martin Brodeur endorses Gionta

• Bert Raymond on Jacques Martin

• Rangers like Pavel Valentenko

And Kovy drops ’em. It did not go well:

nWmziANpi8s

1. Steve C. says:

hey Boone!  At least they mentioned “The Elbow”.

2. Bugs says:

More and more, every day, the Artiste proves that he belongs at the head of the Hall of Greats. Just when we start to think he may have hit the ceiling of cool, he goes and busts through the roof.

Kovy rules all mortals, end of story.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

3. habfan53 says:

Ian I’ll take Montreal driving over Toronto’s any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

4. punkster says:

Don’t be silly Adam.

FREE TIMO!

5. Habscore says:

Ha!! So true! Hopefully, the SAAQ never ever allows or gives us, Montrealers, the privilege of turning right on red lights!!

……………………………………………………………….

YES HABS CAN!!

6. samTHEman says:

Nice rant. Had a few laughs 😀

You make a point about the leafs captain haha…wether he is mentally stable or not LMAO. Not that I care, but why didn’t Kaberle get the C? Even though it was unsure he was staying with the team….still a slap to the face. He’s the only player i Semi-like on the laffs, and he has seignority over all the other players…also seems like a nice mature guy. Why that dummy over Kaberle LOL….there’s also the ever-so-clear piece of information that phaneuf SUCKS………………but not as KOMISAREK!

7. B says:

Newsy Lalonde should be on that list.

8. krob1000 says:

I think pitching is where they are on the rise…they are young but have a bright pitching future…..they would likely have to acquire an ace via trade or or free agency….wouldn’t it be awesome if Drabek, Morrow, Marcum, Romero and Cecil all stuck around, eventually one  and maybe two could be a long reliever or set up guy, bring in another ace and voila..you have something that only needs a closer.  They also need a catalyst at the top of the lineup….someone who can get on base and then make things happen with some speed.  I think if this team had Halladay this year it wins 4-5 more games.  I think if it has a decent leadoff guy who can be on base over .350 of the time and steal 25 bases they ar an instant contender for the wildcard.  The season for the Jays is pretty well won and lost with how they fare against the Rays, the Yankees and the Sox …..some serious talent….and so many games that were won or lost by a hair.  One slip up and those teams capitalize…the Jays relied to heavily on the long ball and couldn’t manufacture….in baseball good pitching beats good hitting so you need to be able to manufacture out of two points in your lineup.  The Jays had noone who was a multi tool threat.  They had noone who could bunt his way on base, or turn a walk into a double, beat out the routine double play ball to extend an inning, advance to third on a fly to straight away center.  Baseball literally is a game of inches and miliseconds and the Jays both offensively and defensively  are miliseconds and inches away from success.  It is too bad Hill or Escobar can’t be more of a threat on the bases, and too bad that our Center fielder also is not a threat on the basepaths. I hope that kid they are comparing to Carl Crawford pans out a couple years from now because a Carl Crawford is exactly what the Jays lack offensively…man he always kills the Jays.  I can’t believe a team that leads the league in homeruns can’t produce a single .300 hitter? It takes good hitters to lead the league in HR’s and most HR hitters also hit for average because they hit the ball so hard…that is perplexing to me that they can hit the ball so hard in the air but it doesn’t translate on the groundballs to increase our average…weird stuff.

9. mike g says:

Hahaha..

Businessman of the year. Or decade….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

10. mike g says:

Great stuff…

I like Cito. Nice guy, and he deserved everything last night.

I’m just worried about the lack of fans that TO generates at Jays games every year. With their population, more people should be in the stands.

And before they can compete in that stacked division, they need way better pitching.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

11. samTHEman says:

I agree fully with your line-up. White and Pyatt taking turns on the 12th spot with Moen and Halpern on the 4th line is what I want to see.

Despite Darche’s performance late last season and in the post-season, the guy is old man 33 and a bit slow. Switch him for a young, speedy gritty forward already!! Pyatt and White ffs! Hope this gets done even though I respect and appreciate Darche’s hard-work and effort.

Just by looking at Eller play you can tell he can play in the top 6 right now, and produce. Not solely by the last game where he notched 3 assists (gotta admit he was playing against rookies, but then again he is a rookie!).

A 3rd line of Eller-Boyd-Laps should be a great secondary scoring line IMO. All above 6’0″, speed, grit and scoring….Although I am sick of the way lapierre plays the puck along the boards. He has to stop taking no-chance slapshots from dead-angled corners….with both his wingers behind him, so it’s not even considered a dump if he misses, and no one is there for a rebound. Annoys the chit out of me when he does that. Drop it to the blue line or chip it and chase…just my 2 cents

12. Danno says:

This guy puts this sign up every year and he’s still in business.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

13. VancouverHab says:

Well, the major difference captain-wise from Saku’s day is the leadership group here now. Koivu indeed had to carry most of the leadership water. But Bob Gainey’s last important success here (after coaching hands-on & seeing the failure of character on the team) was dismantling the rot and aquiring leadership (& skill) in spades — Gomez, Gill, Moen, Gionta, Cammi, Gorges are all true leaders of different types, & Pleks doesn’t hurt in that capacity — & the gravity of that group allows Markov’s “strong silent-type” bit to have effect.

14. adam76 says:

I got enegaged at the molson centre – Brian Savage had a hat trick that night.  The date, October 21, 2000!

Dark days indeed.

15. Rudy says:

Wow. Did you ever remind me of “home”

Traffic in DC is way worse,

16. Danno says:

Such a great city and yet such a pain going into and getting out of

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

17. adam76 says:

cancer joke (or was it?)

18. samTHEman says:

Boyd has more offensive upside and experience over Pyatt, White, Moen and Lapierre. He belongs on the 3rd and should be paired with Eller, with either one of them switching to Wing as a result, and teamed with Lapierre. JM won’t sit Halpern, they signed him to play on the PK and win face-offs.

Cam-Plek-AK

Pouliot-Gomez-Gio

Eller-Boyd-Lapierre or Boyd-Eller-Lapierre whichever works best

Moen-Halpern-Pyatt/White

in my opinion…

19. mike g says:

Your comment can be taken in so many ways

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

20. krob1000 says:

Thanks for the tip the other night….I watched that Burns documentary….always worth the watch if Ken Burns is doing it.  I regretfully did not see the Gaston farewell but Cito is a legend to me and is synonomous with anything good that is Tornto Blue Jay baseball. Bautista was unreal this seasona nd I think it is reasonable to expect him to be a 30 homerun guy from year to year based on the combination of his swing, his eye and his focus.  He isn’t an overly big guy or a guy with a ridiculously faulty swing swinging himself into the ground.  Surprised this year that Aaron Hill hit as poorly (for avg) as he did….he still put up the power numbers but he needs to be a .265.290 hitter IMO and should be but he really lengthened his swong and started focussing more on the power numbers (injuries that nag don’t help either).  I am really looking forward to the next few years in TO baseball as the team is one the rise…II just hope the fans or alck thereof don’t chase the team away in  the meantime.  Still ultra pissed that Rogers pulled the chute on so many games down the stretch.  It is really odd but in 1993 I was on top of the world….I had the fan 4 pack the Habs won, the Cowboys won, the Bulls won and the Jays won….oh those were the days.  I sometimes feel responsible for being so greedy that year…..and wish I could go back in time to appreciate just how spoiled I was.

21. kirkiswork says:

A truck carrying a corrosive product lost part of it’s load after an accident.

It is the worst city in Canada to drive in and I know it very well, I have no idea why people put up with that mess.

23. Say Ash says:

That’s in bad taste, dude.

24. SmartDog says:

Between Bob Gainey and Toe Blake.  High praise from the French press.

I hope Koivu sees the article and gets a lump in his throat.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

25. fbkj says:

he was theodores best friend, thats all that i remember really…

26. quentin_stuckley says:

wilkie!  and the goalie behind these pearls.  pat jablonski.

LEAN years for any habs fan.  asham did round out his game.  he was killer for the flyers.  and robidas, too.  i didn’t think he was that much of a PIM getter until he landed in dallas.  probably didn’t get that much time to be so rambunctious here.

27. Say Ash says:

7 pts in 7 games so far with the Hamburg Freezers

28. quentin_stuckley says:

i really hope so.  i don’t know, though.  i do think he deserves the recognition.

29. krob1000 says:

looks pretty good to me…..thank you

30. fbkj says:

sweet christ

being said there were some gems that went onto be good players with other teams

robidas, asham, beauchemin, david wilkie

okay not wilkie

31. pic1983 says:

A little bit of rain, and everyone forgets how to drive.

32. quentin_stuckley says:

nice.  how about scott lachance or christian laflamme?  the d doesn’t get any more solid.

33. fbkj says:

its important for the fans yes

34. quentin_stuckley says: