Day II of the Gionta era

“It’s pretty special” – Gionta

Martin’s leadership group

Henry could make roster – Pat Hickey

An ideal captain – Mario Tremblay

Former captains like the choice

Martin Brodeur endorses Gionta

• Bert Raymond on Jacques Martin

• Rangers like Pavel Valentenko

And Kovy drops ‘em. It did not go well:

nWmziANpi8s

1. samTHEman says:

Nice rant. Had a few laughs :D

You make a point about the leafs captain haha…wether he is mentally stable or not LMAO. Not that I care, but why didn’t Kaberle get the C? Even though it was unsure he was staying with the team….still a slap to the face. He’s the only player i Semi-like on the laffs, and he has seignority over all the other players…also seems like a nice mature guy. Why that dummy over Kaberle LOL….there’s also the ever-so-clear piece of information that phaneuf SUCKS………………but not as KOMISAREK!

2. B says:

Newsy Lalonde should be on that list.

3. krob1000 says:

I think pitching is where they are on the rise…they are young but have a bright pitching future…..they would likely have to acquire an ace via trade or or free agency….wouldn’t it be awesome if Drabek, Morrow, Marcum, Romero and Cecil all stuck around, eventually one  and maybe two could be a long reliever or set up guy, bring in another ace and voila..you have something that only needs a closer.  They also need a catalyst at the top of the lineup….someone who can get on base and then make things happen with some speed.  I think if this team had Halladay this year it wins 4-5 more games.  I think if it has a decent leadoff guy who can be on base over .350 of the time and steal 25 bases they ar an instant contender for the wildcard.  The season for the Jays is pretty well won and lost with how they fare against the Rays, the Yankees and the Sox …..some serious talent….and so many games that were won or lost by a hair.  One slip up and those teams capitalize…the Jays relied to heavily on the long ball and couldn’t manufacture….in baseball good pitching beats good hitting so you need to be able to manufacture out of two points in your lineup.  The Jays had noone who was a multi tool threat.  They had noone who could bunt his way on base, or turn a walk into a double, beat out the routine double play ball to extend an inning, advance to third on a fly to straight away center.  Baseball literally is a game of inches and miliseconds and the Jays both offensively and defensively  are miliseconds and inches away from success.  It is too bad Hill or Escobar can’t be more of a threat on the bases, and too bad that our Center fielder also is not a threat on the basepaths. I hope that kid they are comparing to Carl Crawford pans out a couple years from now because a Carl Crawford is exactly what the Jays lack offensively…man he always kills the Jays.  I can’t believe a team that leads the league in homeruns can’t produce a single .300 hitter? It takes good hitters to lead the league in HR’s and most HR hitters also hit for average because they hit the ball so hard…that is perplexing to me that they can hit the ball so hard in the air but it doesn’t translate on the groundballs to increase our average…weird stuff.

4. mike g says:

Hahaha..

Businessman of the year. Or decade….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

5. mike g says:

Great stuff…

I like Cito. Nice guy, and he deserved everything last night.

I’m just worried about the lack of fans that TO generates at Jays games every year. With their population, more people should be in the stands.

And before they can compete in that stacked division, they need way better pitching.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

6. samTHEman says:

I agree fully with your line-up. White and Pyatt taking turns on the 12th spot with Moen and Halpern on the 4th line is what I want to see.

Despite Darche’s performance late last season and in the post-season, the guy is old man 33 and a bit slow. Switch him for a young, speedy gritty forward already!! Pyatt and White ffs! Hope this gets done even though I respect and appreciate Darche’s hard-work and effort.

Just by looking at Eller play you can tell he can play in the top 6 right now, and produce. Not solely by the last game where he notched 3 assists (gotta admit he was playing against rookies, but then again he is a rookie!).

A 3rd line of Eller-Boyd-Laps should be a great secondary scoring line IMO. All above 6’0″, speed, grit and scoring….Although I am sick of the way lapierre plays the puck along the boards. He has to stop taking no-chance slapshots from dead-angled corners….with both his wingers behind him, so it’s not even considered a dump if he misses, and no one is there for a rebound. Annoys the chit out of me when he does that. Drop it to the blue line or chip it and chase…just my 2 cents

7. Danno says:

This guy puts this sign up every year and he’s still in business.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

8. VancouverHab says:

Well, the major difference captain-wise from Saku’s day is the leadership group here now. Koivu indeed had to carry most of the leadership water. But Bob Gainey’s last important success here (after coaching hands-on & seeing the failure of character on the team) was dismantling the rot and aquiring leadership (& skill) in spades — Gomez, Gill, Moen, Gionta, Cammi, Gorges are all true leaders of different types, & Pleks doesn’t hurt in that capacity — & the gravity of that group allows Markov’s “strong silent-type” bit to have effect.

9. adam76 says:

I got enegaged at the molson centre – Brian Savage had a hat trick that night.  The date, October 21, 2000!

Dark days indeed.

10. Rudy says:

Wow. Did you ever remind me of “home”

Traffic in DC is way worse,

11. Danno says:

Such a great city and yet such a pain going into and getting out of

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

12. adam76 says:

cancer joke (or was it?)

13. samTHEman says:

Boyd has more offensive upside and experience over Pyatt, White, Moen and Lapierre. He belongs on the 3rd and should be paired with Eller, with either one of them switching to Wing as a result, and teamed with Lapierre. JM won’t sit Halpern, they signed him to play on the PK and win face-offs.

Cam-Plek-AK

Pouliot-Gomez-Gio

Eller-Boyd-Lapierre or Boyd-Eller-Lapierre whichever works best

Moen-Halpern-Pyatt/White

in my opinion…

14. mike g says:

Your comment can be taken in so many ways

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

15. krob1000 says:

Thanks for the tip the other night….I watched that Burns documentary….always worth the watch if Ken Burns is doing it.  I regretfully did not see the Gaston farewell but Cito is a legend to me and is synonomous with anything good that is Tornto Blue Jay baseball. Bautista was unreal this seasona nd I think it is reasonable to expect him to be a 30 homerun guy from year to year based on the combination of his swing, his eye and his focus.  He isn’t an overly big guy or a guy with a ridiculously faulty swing swinging himself into the ground.  Surprised this year that Aaron Hill hit as poorly (for avg) as he did….he still put up the power numbers but he needs to be a .265.290 hitter IMO and should be but he really lengthened his swong and started focussing more on the power numbers (injuries that nag don’t help either).  I am really looking forward to the next few years in TO baseball as the team is one the rise…II just hope the fans or alck thereof don’t chase the team away in  the meantime.  Still ultra pissed that Rogers pulled the chute on so many games down the stretch.  It is really odd but in 1993 I was on top of the world….I had the fan 4 pack the Habs won, the Cowboys won, the Bulls won and the Jays won….oh those were the days.  I sometimes feel responsible for being so greedy that year…..and wish I could go back in time to appreciate just how spoiled I was.

16. kirkiswork says:

A truck carrying a corrosive product lost part of it’s load after an accident.

It is the worst city in Canada to drive in and I know it very well, I have no idea why people put up with that mess.

18. Say Ash says:

That’s in bad taste, dude.

19. SmartDog says:

Between Bob Gainey and Toe Blake.  High praise from the French press.

I hope Koivu sees the article and gets a lump in his throat.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

20. fbkj says:

he was theodores best friend, thats all that i remember really…

21. quentin_stuckley says:

wilkie!  and the goalie behind these pearls.  pat jablonski.

LEAN years for any habs fan.  asham did round out his game.  he was killer for the flyers.  and robidas, too.  i didn’t think he was that much of a PIM getter until he landed in dallas.  probably didn’t get that much time to be so rambunctious here.

22. Say Ash says:

7 pts in 7 games so far with the Hamburg Freezers

23. quentin_stuckley says:

i really hope so.  i don’t know, though.  i do think he deserves the recognition.

24. krob1000 says:

looks pretty good to me…..thank you

25. fbkj says:

sweet christ

being said there were some gems that went onto be good players with other teams

robidas, asham, beauchemin, david wilkie

okay not wilkie

26. pic1983 says:

A little bit of rain, and everyone forgets how to drive.

27. quentin_stuckley says:

nice.  how about scott lachance or christian laflamme?  the d doesn’t get any more solid.

28. fbkj says:

its important for the fans yes

29. quentin_stuckley says:

‘effing medieval man.

30. SmartDog says:

It’s a little early (I wanted to be the first!)… but he’s pretty freaking important RIGHT NOW!!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

31. mike g says:

Mike G’s ” I Hate Toronto” Rant….

- In Toronto last night, Cito Gaston managed his final home game as the Blue Jays’ manager. The team released a statement on Tuesday that first 35,000 fans to attend the game would recieve a special edition ticket. Do I really need to point out that there were leftovers? Anyhoo, I planned to watch the 30 minute ceremony they had for him, but something more important came up; I got thirsty so decided to go to Timmy’s.

- Staying with the Jays, one of the most annoying things in all of pro sports is the hockey goal horn they play every time a Blue Jay hits a homerun. I don’t wanna over-analyze this, but you all get the picture right? I can honestly sit here today and guarantee that no MLB team with a homerun goal horn will ever win a World Series.

- Also in Toronto last night, was the meaningless battle of Ontario. The game was played in Ottawa, and while watching it I couldn’t help but say, “why is it even called the battle of Ontario?”. There’s absolutely no battle involved in that series. No matter how many “battles” the Leafs win vs Ottawa, in the end it still means sweet fruck-all, cuz they won’t make the playoffs. So why not call it, “the battle of Ottawa’s playoff chances” ?.

- Getting back to the Leafs, Nazim Kadri, aka The Franchise/Biggest Eyebrows In the World/, had a three point night in their win over the Sens. Every single Leafs fan was hoping for this, because up to last night he had zero points in the preseason. People were very worried about that, because this kid was supposed to challenge for every single NHL trophy in the league this year. So he notched 2 goals and 1 assist, in what was said to be his “final chance” to make the team. WOW, what a way to succeed, eh?! Well, looking at the boxscore, I couldn’t help but notice that the Leafs basically threw this kid out there every chance they could, in order for him to get some points and produce and make the media shut up about Kadri struggling. He played over 7 minutes of powerplay time, played on the 1st line, and skated for about 18 minutes. Now call me dumb if you’d like, but can anyone with any NHL talent fail playing that many powerplay minutes in a preseason game?

- And finally, now that we have a captain, I’m pumped for the 1st game of the year in TO. I’m sure the Leafs are glad Gionta will wear the C, because they’ve already got their own captain; whether he’s mentally stable or not is irrelevant. But I’m positive the Leafs brass will certainly plan out a nice ceremonial faceoff to kick the year off with a BANG! There will probably be something like 6 retired Leafs player dropping pucks, many pictures, etc…The funny thing is, that Gionta will not only be the smallest guy there, but one, just one of his Cups will be more than every single current or ex-Leaf put together in that ceremonial photograph.

Go Taranna!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

32. SmartDog says:

Indeed!

Warms my heart to see – especially from the French press.  Koivu deserves a medal just for dealing with all the rebuilding and never losing his drive.  He didn’t win a cup, but sometimes it seems he pretty much kept the Canadiens ship afloat by himself through pretty dark waters.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

33. fbkj says:

what about patrick “reverse” traverse :D

34. davecessna says:

Off topic, but whoever lives in Montreal, what the HELL was up with traffic this morning? It took me almost 90 minutes to get from St-Anne to Decarie on the 40 :/