Darche skating with Gomez, Gionta

Mathieu Darche, a healthy scratch the past two games, is skating this morning in Brossard with Brian Gionta and Scott Gomez.

Benoit Pouliot is lined up with Maxim Lapierre, who’s celebrating his 25th birthday, and Sergei Kostitsyn. Otherwise, Andrei Kostitsyn, Michael Cammalleri and Tomas Plekanec; and Tom Pyatt, Travis Moen and Dominic Moore.

1. jrshabs1 says:

Bugs you bug!!

2. krob1000 says:

The RFA line! Play to stay!

3. linp says:

Folk! Today is Monday and the game day is Wednesday. JM just wants to send messages to some players. I can’t see JM will break up our 3rd line. He may want to check out Darche on the GG line in case he wants to send Pouliot a strong message. If Pouliot put out a good effort, he’ll get back his position during the game.

4. showey47 says:

really? i didn’ know 1+2+2=3. Since both cammy and bergy have only played 3 games. I guess your math skills match your hockey knowledge. Go back to sleep,you are more credible that way.

5. ed lopaz says:

just read the Todd article.

I agreed with everything he said – except his use of the word “BULLY”, which is in the last line.

it refers to gainey telling carbo and melancon that price MUST stay with the habs and be the #1, eventhough we had Huet.

the word “bully” is in bad taste – its disrespectful.

its very reasonable for a GM to force a team to use a player that he believes in; i’m sure it happens all the time.

this is not “bullying” and Todd knows it.

but todd was right on about everything else.

I have disagreed with Todd more often than not – he writes controversy in order to sell papers.

6. Anonymous says:

Haha, I actually missed that H, if I wanted to make a joke I woulda said something about the “Turd and Fort line”

7. Bugs says:

Because actually, he woulda thought: “Why didn’t hi tink of dis sooner, now we ‘ave Tree top lines.”

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

8. Anonymous says:

…Pfttt.,,

9. Anonymous says:

JM must be thinking to himself “Why didn’t I think of this sooner, now we have Tree top lines.”

10. Bugs says:

(burp)

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

11. Anonymous says:

Having Hamr for one more year kills us for the next four? Please…

12. Bugs says:

Aye, but when you’re the sh*te, the resta the world is a fan.

(nyuck)

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

13. Storm Man says:

Yawn….

14. Psycho29 says:

I’d take his heart and hard work ethic over some of the other foot draggers in their 20’s anytime….

15. Bugs says:

Heck of a lot of weird ones though…

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Also known as JM’s ****list line.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. Bugs says:

My boy Poolio with Maxie and Sergy???

I like it.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

18. hab lifer says:

if habs don’t get rid of Gomez’s(Ralphie Backstrom) contract as well as Hamrlik’s and Spacek’s contract, this team will doomed for at least the next 4 years! those outrageous contracts kill the sal;ary cap, and habs won’t be able to sign anyone decent, except maybe 1 or 2 more smurfs.

19. hab lifer says:

I would complain. the guy will be 386 years old. get a grip! 1 mil for a 4th liner at 36 years old? c’mon delusional person.

20. Bugs says:

Sorry for not getting back yesterday, Tommy. Busy.

Position hasn’t changed. Yes, Halak back in net against the Caners and Philly.

And the Kid gets Buffaler again. Slight possibility of him getting Philly and Halak Buffaler but I see the former happening instead of the latter.

And then, Halak gets the rest.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

21. nunacanadien says:

Well don’t forget when we had Koivu et al. that often when they came back we’d spiral down.  Its because of the line juggling that goes on to support the returning players.  Also the key to our success has always been the call up of our rookies, and we punish them for succeeding by sending them back down after they show they’re NHL quality material.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

NHL Mock Draft by the Experts, Taylor Hall is the first choice for 3 of their authors, but one guy believes that Tyler Seguin appeals more to the likely holder of the  #1 pick, Edmonton.

Dissenting opinions on how Montreal would select if we drafted tommorow, three of them suspect we would draft a large centre, C John Mcfarlund of the OHL, C Ryan Johansen of the WHL, D Mark Pysyk of the WHL and just to make the Timmins critics mad, one man has us selecting C Nick Bjugstad of the Minnesota High School League. Sorry no good link for Bjugstad but he did that get that ‘ol Minnesota Mr. Hockey Award this season and is 6’5″.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

I hope we sign him, if only for his heart that was lacking from most last year.

24. SegerHabs says:

I whole heartedly agree with you….but you can be sure somebody will always complain

25. HabFanSince72 says:

The Phoenix Coyotes play hockey don’t they?

26. HabFanSince72 says:

Is your point: sure he’s not scoring but he’s 40 and coming off a bad injury, so give him a break? OK I’ll give him a break.

Good thing we didn’t sign him though.

27. mike g says:

They have to re-sign Metro, were a small team and will often have injuries, like this year..

He’s a great depth player. Sign him for 2 years at 1 million. Nobody will complain.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

28. Le Jadester says:

Ya I know what your saying in terms of overall quality in the players (although SK has been solid since he’s been up – still alot more to prove though).  Either way, I like Poulie and I’m pretty sure he’ll work through all of this and come out stronger for it.  Kinda like AK 46.  I’m pretty sure he’ll hit 20 by the end of the season.

I just think that Gomez and Gio are a tough clique to penetrate.  If it was always a 4 on 4 game, then those two would be the best combo forsure.

Habs, OLE !

29. Flabadagub says:

Wow. Can you just feel the sarcasm oozing…

30. mike g says:

Happy Birthday Lapierre

Hopefully you’re finally grown up and mature now…..

(although I’m pretty sure he’s doing his bday at McDonald’s playground)

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

Metro for two years has done great things for our hockey club since coming here. We all love his speed and tenacious drive on the ice. He never takes a shift off and he is playing for his boy hood dream hockey team.

But he may have reached his last here with us. I think Lapierre, Mara and one more will be gone also.

32. TomNickle says:

Yeah four goals in the first 8 games of the year with 2 game winners is just ok.

33. crabvader says:

An all-nighter texting Guidoune.

34. crabvader says:

I think our team really stopped bothering the opposition’s goaltender these past few games and I think this as a good idea… for once I agree with JM…

We need someone to get in the goalie’s face and that’s what Darche does. If Gio shoots, who’s in front of the net? Usually no one… Pouliot used to do it and maybe this is a little message being sent his way. He had great success doing that but he shyed away from it in recent games.

Darche will do it, no questions asked. Pouliot will see this is what he needs to do to stay on the top line and everything, in theory, should revert back to normal.

35. Le Jadester says:

Oh…….. forgot to wish “La La Lappy” a happy 25th !

Where do y’all think that new trio will be celebrating the birthday bender tonight ?

Habs, OLE !

36. Anonymous says:

If Gomez and Gionta cant help Pouliot, it is good to know that SK and Laps can.

37. crabvader says:

Like debating religion, there are no right answers 🙂

38. Le Jadester says:

Interesting combos.  Don’t know what the coaching staff is thinkin’ but it could work. I was really liking the 3rd line of Moen/Moore/SK74 goin’ into the last two week playoff push, they were getting tighter with every shift on both ends of the rink.

I do think SK can contribute to helpin’ out Poulie with his little slump. I can see how people are a little frustrated with his play of late……..but I think that happens to everyone who plays for us.

I thought that SK74 would have been thrown into the Gee Gee line after seein’ what happened at the end of the 3rd in the NJ match, since JM was sendin’ out all his messages to players.

Carolina, Carolina, Isles and the Laffs are gonna scare the shite outta me these next two weeks.

Habs, OLE !

39. crabvader says:

But like I said, if he chases 2 mil per with another team, it will probably be for 1 year.

Then, he risks everything because what if it doesn’t work out with this new team? It’s back to the minors or off to Europe.

If he signs 3 years @ 1 or 1.75 mil with us, not only is it more money stretched over a period of time, but it offers him and his family stability and security.

Vets who chase the money for one year usually end up getting bit unless their names are Brett Hull or Brendan Shanahan.

Vets don’t like to move cities, make their kids change schools, ra ra ra.

I think it would be logical to stay here. The only thing is, we need PG to play ball.

Teams who go for a guy like Metro after this year’s production usually want one year so he can help the team turn around. After that, who knows.

So basically tops he could get (in my opinion) is 2.7 and HUGE maximum, 3 mil per.

Again, 1 year deal. He can make the same money over a longer period of time with us and be offered job security.

40. Anonymous says:

I love it, a universally acceptable argument that works everytime.

41. crabvader says:

Well played!

42. TomNickle says:

Yeah but he’s running out of career and never was a big dollar guy.  I would expect him to do what’s best for him and his family financially and I hope that he does.

43. SeriousFan09 says:

Both Boston and Philly lose.

But it’s a Win-Win for us and that’s all that really counts.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

44. crabvader says:

Lang’s numbers wouldn’t necessarily be the same with us.

That’s like saying french fries taste the same with ketchup as without.

It’s unpredictable and I’m relating to previous facts rather than the unknown.

45. ManApart says:

All three guys struggled when they were together to start the year. Cammy and Gomez had very slow starts and Giota was just OK. When cammy started to click with Pleks, that’s when things changed. Putting all your eggs in one basket makes it way too easy to shut them down.

46. crabvader says:

I can see a salary increase…but if he wants to stay and take a discount AND he considers his age over immediate money, he might look for a 3-year cheaper deal with us than a 1 or 2 year deal for a little more scratch with another team that he might not be able to play as much with.

We use him a lot and we get the best out of him. As far as we know, he loves it here and he’s probably thinking what every vet nearing the end of the road thinks: stability.

47. Anonymous says:

If lang had points like that here now he would not be a very popular player, considering the amount of points he put up the previous year, he was used on a scoring line, he wouldnt now and everyone would hate his production. Besides we dont need lang for more veteran presence, we already have enough.

48. TomNickle says:

I would love to have Metro back but I don’t think it’s what’s best for him.  Because of his powerplay production, two way game and faceoff ability it’s quite possible that he doubles his salary by going to an offensively challenged team in need of a good two way centreman, and the market is pretty dry.

I hope he does what’s best for him because since coming here last year it looks like he’s done what’s best for the team.

49. crabvader says:

If Pouliot can work on his balance and physical game, he will utterly dominate teams.

I see him fumble a lot and almost trip over himself quite often.

Also, he can lay some devastating hits when he wants to… I think weight and muscle regime would benefit him tremendously.

He’s blessed with good height and tremendous skill, all he needs now is toughness.

50. crabvader says:

I mean if that’s the standard, Cam Janssen would’ve gotten like 5 games for running into Price that one game, lol.

Horrible call, but hilarious results!

51. crabvader says:

Agreed. Still, we have a bad tendency of letting go of some good ones while weeding out the bad.

I really want Metro to stay.

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Lang was different though, an achilles tendon injury to a player of Lang’s age was a truly career-threatening injury, a lot of players go through shoulder seperations in their careers and come back from them well enough. At 38 though, I don’t think Gainey wanted to roll the dice that Lang would be able to skate with the new team he was assembling. Disappointing, but I think Metropolit can be extended provided the cap situation works out this summer or we’ll likely be tapping Hamilton to fill out the ranks.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. crabvader says:

Hulk Hogan is back!

54. crabvader says:

Stats don’t tell the whole story. If you actually watched Phoenix you would know how big a role Lang has played in the turnaround.

He was a catalyst for it at the start of the season. You could tell his linemates were comfortable with him and they also were playing very well around him.

He’s also 5-6 years older than Metro and coming off of a severe Achilles tendon injury (which, I hope, you consider in your “stats”)

Travis Moen, how many points does he have? Does that take anything away from what he brings to the team? No.

Please use your stats a little bit more sparingly and cautiously before trying to make an invalid point.

55. crabvader says:

Both Boston and Philly lose.

Thomas is not a savior. Boston’s D was the saving grace of that team. They made Tim look good last year.

This year, not so much. Also, how many games before Gagne gets injured for half the season? He’s expensive and he’s also very injury prone. I don’t think that Boston would want to revisit that.

I wouldn’t bother with Brunnstrom. We need physical play and guys who can fight for pucks in the corners. Brunnstrom is a complimentary player and we have those.

Tanguay is a bum.

Ryan could potentially be a 5mil per player if his agent plays his cards right, the kid is a tank and has loads of skill. He’s also gonna be a 30+ goal scorer for many years.

56. HabFanSince72 says:

Lang has 9 goals and 24 points in 64 games for the Yotes.

57. wmarcello says:

Here’s an article on it plus full video. Obviously he went overboard but it really was a brutal ref call.

58. Say Ash says:

Six games to go and we’re still juggling lines as we scrape for a playoff spot. Now we’ll put together Gomez-Gionta-Cammalleri – why does the K-K-Tanguay line come to mind?

59. crabvader says:

You know… in regards to Metropolit, I can see PG and co. pulling yet another Robert Lang.

Metro deserves an extension. We need to veteran presence on the team and getting rid of them all the time is definitely not the answer.

I’m sure his price won’t skyrocket. He’ll probably sign for around the same thing and who knows, if we are lucky, at a discount since he isn’t a spring chicken anymore.

Guys like that are really the foundation of a team. They are the ones that help build confidence for younger players. When you have 3 new-jacks on one line and it’s their first time in the NHL, you are playing with fire.

Look at Phoenix. They relied so much on young talent that even Turris, Boedker, Mueller and Hanzal looked really average if not bad.

Phoenix has, however, turned things around dramatically and I think it’s because of the key additions to the team… Robert L. being one of them…

Guys like Metro and Lang bring the best out of your future stars. They are mentors and shouldn’t be treated like disposable parts.

Metro has been bleeding for this team. He works every single shift he is on the ice and he is a good example and a model of work ethic for our younger guys.

I don’t want this guy to be let go and I sincerely hope we re-sign him. He is one of the few players I still want to see in a Habs uniform by next year.

60. habs001 says:

you are probably correct…just hope that in the near future the habs will be a team where we dont care who we play and we are the dominant team…now we are a team that is hoping for help

61. Drive_For_25 says:

Anyone see Jim Playfair’s blow-up againgst the Dogs yesterday?  Check it out on TSN’s video player.  Hilarious!  His player got 5 and a game for charging the goalie.  Didn’t see the play but it sounds like a weird call right off the bat.    Guess refs are morons at all levels.  Ref was Don Koharski’s son.

62. RetroMikey says:

Carolina, Toronto and Islanders will be coming hard against us, these teams will not be floating since they are out of the playoffs, everyone loves a spoiler and these teams could spoil our playoff run.

As for Philadelphia and Buffalo, ditto,

Don’t be confident, we are not guaranteed a spot just yet.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

63. chesc0 says:

New Rumors coming from hockey30.com

– With Selanne and Niedermayer’s close to retirement, the Ducks will have enough salary space  to sign a good contract with Ryan this summer. We are talking about 4M/year.

– The Stars should trade Fabian Brunnstrom this summer.

– Alex Tanguay would offcially announce his retirement after this season.

– According to the Boston Globe, Philly would be interested in Tim Thomas. Simon Gagné would be traded this summer to get a hand on Thomas.

64. megagoten says:

pretty sure they haven’t as much as cammer-plek

65. JD_ says:

To be fair, I wouldn’t characterize Metro’s sitting as being benched.

Prior to Metro’s injury, the finally healthy lineup had given JM the luxury to alternate players in and out, be it for rest or message-sending. While the latter was clearly the case for Laps, in Metro’s case, the guy’s no spring chicken and his legs were faltering prior to the Olympic break. Once NHL play resumed, his play was back to par. My read is JM wanted Metro in good shape heading into the playoffs, on the assumption that is where the team was headed.

I fully expected Metro would be rested again before season end.

66. Hockey Socks says:

I think size was the problem. They need a big body on both of those lines. The smurf line got absolutely crushed on some nights.

67. habs001 says:

we probably have the easiest sched on paper vs the other teams contending for playoffs…atlanta has wash and pitts 2 times…

68. krob1000 says:

I am happy about this change…I think it will work….I wish it were Moore with Sk and POuliot but now at least Sk has someone to pass to.  Darche will do just fine on that line, he’ll go to the net and Gio/Gomez are good enough as a duo.  It is unfortunate about Metro but I think this now gives us 3 lines with offensive ability and as long as Lapierre understands his role is to be the dirty work guy on this line it is a very interesting two way line with tons of speed, smarts and skill with Pouliot and sk74.  I like it….again I wish it were Moore between them but I’ll take it because sk74 has been wasted and in a sense I think at times POuliot ahs been two as sometimes he is kind of left out and plays third wheel.  I realize he got a ton of points on that line but I think he’ll produce regardless of where he goes if he plays his hustle game and is ready to shoot because Sergei will find him.

69. Smiss says:

Instead of shaking up the lines by throwing a grinder on one of our scoring lines, why not throw back together the Gomez-Gionta-Cammalleri line from the beginning of the season. That line was absolutely insane, I don’t know why we never went back to it.

I’m pretty sure Plekanec and Pouliot have clicked in the past…..

70. Les Habitants says:

How about we shake up the coaching staff instead of the lines. We call up Guy Boucher and put him along side Kirk Muller on the top unit and demote Jacques Martin to a supporting role like equipment manager or stick boy

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

71. RetroMikey says:

We’ll be sweating bullets the next couple of weeks after  winnning only 1 of our last 4.

6 games remaining…..2 games aginst Carolina, 1 game agianst Toronto, 1 game against Philadelphia, 1 game against Toronto, 1 game agains Islanders…gulp!

Not easy at all, we have to win 4 of 6 IMO.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

72. doug says:

Just seems silly to be tinkering at this stage.  We can’t expect lines every day to be great but we have two solid lines up front and we should be benefiting from the return of Cammalleri rather than putting a plugger there.

Gomez/Gionta/Pouliot

Plekanec/AKost/Cammalleri

Some reasonable scoring 3rd line (Moore/Skost, etc)

Good energy line (Darche belongs here)

We may just miss the playoffs yet!  Too bad about Metro – was our unsung hero and a bigger loss than would first meet the eye.  Why he was benched for a game after all he’s done this year I’ll never understand, but he’s gone now so nothing we can do about it going forward.

We were winning without Bergeron and not performing on PP with him.  Not sure we need that pipsqueak out there, either.  Can’t play D and takes away from forward line balance.

73. habs001 says:

Lee Stempniak has 12 goals in 12 games for the coyotes …pouliot has played very well but we must remember he is 23 and the 33 games he has played with montreal has been his best in the nhl…..it is too early to annoint him as a top six forward as there have been many players who have gone on scoring streaks but revert back to their old ways…there is a lot of things to like with pouliot but the jury is still out on him as he does not have significant body of work to say he will be a top 6 forward

74. JD_ says:

Missed most of Saturday night’s game. Something to do with a soccer coach who obviously isn’t a pro hockey fan, a sports complex that’s at least a 20-25 minute drive each way, and a recently bankrupt Momesso’s franchise at said sports complex.

The original Momesso’s, started by Sergio’s dad in the early ’70s, makes a mean hot sub. Mean!

—–

From what I gather, NJ learned us good. First-to-the-puck, battle-winning hockey.

Unacceptable. At this point in the season, non-contenders like Carolina love to be spoilers. The Habs better do no less than match their intensity. A game like that is a good reason to have a Metro around; he reminds the younger guys that there’s no letting up. Laps just got it handed to him on a silver platter. He better bring it.

The Pouliot-Darche thing won’t last much longer than 2-3 shifts.

—–

I recall a Habs-Rangers game many years ago, when both Sergio and Mess were playing for NY. After scoring a couple of goals, Sergio, who was by this time somewhat of a marginal player for the Rangers, got moved up a line and started pointing everywhere and barking out instructions before every faceoff.

No truth to the rumour he wanted everyone to call him “Momess”.

Like Richer and Claude Lemieux, Sergio still brings it to the oldtimer’s games.

—–

CERN’s Large Hadron Collider, which was restarted last November after extensive repairs, is expected to run its first series of high-energy, subatomic particle collisions tomorrow. The concern among some physicists is that a collision could become stable, resulting in an infinitesimally small, hot, and dense singularity that instantly sucks all surrounding matter into its gaping maw, thus spelling the end of humanity.

For all practical purposes, the actual risk of something that sucks really hard proving a risk to our existence is low, as demonstrated by that 43 year-old lab experiment currently being run out of the Air Canada Centre.

—–

The meat of Angry Jack Todd’s column this morning is that Gainey championed Price too early in his career.

Next week’s topic: Mark Streit’s pending UFA status.

JD