Darche skating with Gomez, Gionta

Mathieu Darche, a healthy scratch the past two games, is skating this morning in Brossard with Brian Gionta and Scott Gomez.

Benoit Pouliot is lined up with Maxim Lapierre, who’s celebrating his 25th birthday, and Sergei Kostitsyn. Otherwise, Andrei Kostitsyn, Michael Cammalleri and Tomas Plekanec; and Tom Pyatt, Travis Moen and Dominic Moore.

1. Mr.Hazard says:

YOWZA

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

2. Mr.Hazard says:

RFA line. I like it.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Egad!

4. RTC says:

You agree that they would have been better off with Huet? Give your head a shake! The guy folds at every opportunity. Price played well that year, he did stumble in the playoffs but started the next year strong until he got hurt.

Todd also wrote, “Had Gainey remained on the job, Halak would have been the one to go, no
    questions asked.” That also is far from the truth based on the fact that Gainey tried to trade Price last June for Vinny.

Todd clearly just wanted to take a shot at Bob but he should get his facts straight before spouting off.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Ha! Now there’s a line nickname for you.

6. jrshabs1 says:

Bugs you bug!!

7. krob1000 says:

The RFA line! Play to stay!

8. linp says:

Folk! Today is Monday and the game day is Wednesday. JM just wants to send messages to some players. I can’t see JM will break up our 3rd line. He may want to check out Darche on the GG line in case he wants to send Pouliot a strong message. If Pouliot put out a good effort, he’ll get back his position during the game.

9. showey47 says:

really? i didn’ know 1+2+2=3. Since both cammy and bergy have only played 3 games. I guess your math skills match your hockey knowledge. Go back to sleep,you are more credible that way.

10. ed lopaz says:

just read the Todd article.

I agreed with everything he said – except his use of the word “BULLY”, which is in the last line.

it refers to gainey telling carbo and melancon that price MUST stay with the habs and be the #1, eventhough we had Huet.

the word “bully” is in bad taste – its disrespectful.

its very reasonable for a GM to force a team to use a player that he believes in; i’m sure it happens all the time.

this is not “bullying” and Todd knows it.

but todd was right on about everything else.

I have disagreed with Todd more often than not – he writes controversy in order to sell papers.

11. Anonymous says:

Haha, I actually missed that H, if I wanted to make a joke I woulda said something about the “Turd and Fort line”

12. Bugs says:

Because actually, he woulda thought: “Why didn’t hi tink of dis sooner, now we ‘ave Tree top lines.”

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

13. Anonymous says:

…Pfttt.,,

14. Anonymous says:

JM must be thinking to himself “Why didn’t I think of this sooner, now we have Tree top lines.”

15. Bugs says:

(burp)

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

16. Anonymous says:

Having Hamr for one more year kills us for the next four? Please…

17. Bugs says:

Aye, but when you’re the sh*te, the resta the world is a fan.

(nyuck)

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

18. Storm Man says:

Yawn….

19. Psycho29 says:

I’d take his heart and hard work ethic over some of the other foot draggers in their 20’s anytime….

20. Bugs says:

Heck of a lot of weird ones though…

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Also known as JM’s ****list line.

22. Bugs says:

My boy Poolio with Maxie and Sergy???

I like it.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

23. hab lifer says:

if habs don’t get rid of Gomez’s(Ralphie Backstrom) contract as well as Hamrlik’s and Spacek’s contract, this team will doomed for at least the next 4 years! those outrageous contracts kill the sal;ary cap, and habs won’t be able to sign anyone decent, except maybe 1 or 2 more smurfs.

24. hab lifer says:

I would complain. the guy will be 386 years old. get a grip! 1 mil for a 4th liner at 36 years old? c’mon delusional person.

25. Bugs says:

Sorry for not getting back yesterday, Tommy. Busy.

Position hasn’t changed. Yes, Halak back in net against the Caners and Philly.

And the Kid gets Buffaler again. Slight possibility of him getting Philly and Halak Buffaler but I see the former happening instead of the latter.

And then, Halak gets the rest.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

26. nunacanadien says:

Well don’t forget when we had Koivu et al. that often when they came back we’d spiral down.  Its because of the line juggling that goes on to support the returning players.  Also the key to our success has always been the call up of our rookies, and we punish them for succeeding by sending them back down after they show they’re NHL quality material.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

NHL Mock Draft by the Experts, Taylor Hall is the first choice for 3 of their authors, but one guy believes that Tyler Seguin appeals more to the likely holder of the  #1 pick, Edmonton.

Dissenting opinions on how Montreal would select if we drafted tommorow, three of them suspect we would draft a large centre, C John Mcfarlund of the OHL, C Ryan Johansen of the WHL, D Mark Pysyk of the WHL and just to make the Timmins critics mad, one man has us selecting C Nick Bjugstad of the Minnesota High School League. Sorry no good link for Bjugstad but he did that get that ‘ol Minnesota Mr. Hockey Award this season and is 6’5″.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

I hope we sign him, if only for his heart that was lacking from most last year.

29. SegerHabs says:

I whole heartedly agree with you….but you can be sure somebody will always complain

30. HabFanSince72 says:

The Phoenix Coyotes play hockey don’t they?

31. HabFanSince72 says:

Is your point: sure he’s not scoring but he’s 40 and coming off a bad injury, so give him a break? OK I’ll give him a break.

Good thing we didn’t sign him though.

32. mike g says:

They have to re-sign Metro, were a small team and will often have injuries, like this year..

He’s a great depth player. Sign him for 2 years at 1 million. Nobody will complain.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

33. Le Jadester says:

Ya I know what your saying in terms of overall quality in the players (although SK has been solid since he’s been up – still alot more to prove though).  Either way, I like Poulie and I’m pretty sure he’ll work through all of this and come out stronger for it.  Kinda like AK 46.  I’m pretty sure he’ll hit 20 by the end of the season.

I just think that Gomez and Gio are a tough clique to penetrate.  If it was always a 4 on 4 game, then those two would be the best combo forsure.

Habs, OLE !

34. Flabadagub says:

Wow. Can you just feel the sarcasm oozing…

35. mike g says:

Happy Birthday Lapierre

Hopefully you’re finally grown up and mature now…..

(although I’m pretty sure he’s doing his bday at McDonald’s playground)

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

Metro for two years has done great things for our hockey club since coming here. We all love his speed and tenacious drive on the ice. He never takes a shift off and he is playing for his boy hood dream hockey team.

But he may have reached his last here with us. I think Lapierre, Mara and one more will be gone also.

37. TomNickle says:

Yeah four goals in the first 8 games of the year with 2 game winners is just ok.

38. crabvader says:

An all-nighter texting Guidoune.

39. crabvader says:

I think our team really stopped bothering the opposition’s goaltender these past few games and I think this as a good idea… for once I agree with JM…

We need someone to get in the goalie’s face and that’s what Darche does. If Gio shoots, who’s in front of the net? Usually no one… Pouliot used to do it and maybe this is a little message being sent his way. He had great success doing that but he shyed away from it in recent games.

Darche will do it, no questions asked. Pouliot will see this is what he needs to do to stay on the top line and everything, in theory, should revert back to normal.

40. Le Jadester says:

Oh…….. forgot to wish “La La Lappy” a happy 25th !

Where do y’all think that new trio will be celebrating the birthday bender tonight ?

Habs, OLE !

41. Anonymous says:

If Gomez and Gionta cant help Pouliot, it is good to know that SK and Laps can.

42. crabvader says:

Like debating religion, there are no right answers :)

43. Le Jadester says:

Interesting combos.  Don’t know what the coaching staff is thinkin’ but it could work. I was really liking the 3rd line of Moen/Moore/SK74 goin’ into the last two week playoff push, they were getting tighter with every shift on both ends of the rink.

I do think SK can contribute to helpin’ out Poulie with his little slump. I can see how people are a little frustrated with his play of late……..but I think that happens to everyone who plays for us.

I thought that SK74 would have been thrown into the Gee Gee line after seein’ what happened at the end of the 3rd in the NJ match, since JM was sendin’ out all his messages to players.

Carolina, Carolina, Isles and the Laffs are gonna scare the shite outta me these next two weeks.

Habs, OLE !

44. crabvader says:

But like I said, if he chases 2 mil per with another team, it will probably be for 1 year.

Then, he risks everything because what if it doesn’t work out with this new team? It’s back to the minors or off to Europe.

If he signs 3 years @ 1 or 1.75 mil with us, not only is it more money stretched over a period of time, but it offers him and his family stability and security.

Vets who chase the money for one year usually end up getting bit unless their names are Brett Hull or Brendan Shanahan.

Vets don’t like to move cities, make their kids change schools, ra ra ra.

I think it would be logical to stay here. The only thing is, we need PG to play ball.

Teams who go for a guy like Metro after this year’s production usually want one year so he can help the team turn around. After that, who knows.

So basically tops he could get (in my opinion) is 2.7 and HUGE maximum, 3 mil per.

Again, 1 year deal. He can make the same money over a longer period of time with us and be offered job security.

45. Anonymous says:

I love it, a universally acceptable argument that works everytime.

46. crabvader says:

Well played!

47. TomNickle says:

Yeah but he’s running out of career and never was a big dollar guy.  I would expect him to do what’s best for him and his family financially and I hope that he does.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

Both Boston and Philly lose.

But it’s a Win-Win for us and that’s all that really counts.

49. crabvader says:

Lang’s numbers wouldn’t necessarily be the same with us.

That’s like saying french fries taste the same with ketchup as without.

It’s unpredictable and I’m relating to previous facts rather than the unknown.

50. ManApart says:

All three guys struggled when they were together to start the year. Cammy and Gomez had very slow starts and Giota was just OK. When cammy started to click with Pleks, that’s when things changed. Putting all your eggs in one basket makes it way too easy to shut them down.

51. crabvader says:

I can see a salary increase…but if he wants to stay and take a discount AND he considers his age over immediate money, he might look for a 3-year cheaper deal with us than a 1 or 2 year deal for a little more scratch with another team that he might not be able to play as much with.

We use him a lot and we get the best out of him. As far as we know, he loves it here and he’s probably thinking what every vet nearing the end of the road thinks: stability.

52. Anonymous says:

If lang had points like that here now he would not be a very popular player, considering the amount of points he put up the previous year, he was used on a scoring line, he wouldnt now and everyone would hate his production. Besides we dont need lang for more veteran presence, we already have enough.

53. TomNickle says:

I would love to have Metro back but I don’t think it’s what’s best for him.  Because of his powerplay production, two way game and faceoff ability it’s quite possible that he doubles his salary by going to an offensively challenged team in need of a good two way centreman, and the market is pretty dry.

I hope he does what’s best for him because since coming here last year it looks like he’s done what’s best for the team.

54. crabvader says:

If Pouliot can work on his balance and physical game, he will utterly dominate teams.

I see him fumble a lot and almost trip over himself quite often.

Also, he can lay some devastating hits when he wants to… I think weight and muscle regime would benefit him tremendously.

He’s blessed with good height and tremendous skill, all he needs now is toughness.

55. crabvader says:

I mean if that’s the standard, Cam Janssen would’ve gotten like 5 games for running into Price that one game, lol.

Horrible call, but hilarious results!

56. crabvader says:

Agreed. Still, we have a bad tendency of letting go of some good ones while weeding out the bad.

I really want Metro to stay.

57. SeriousFan09 says:

Lang was different though, an achilles tendon injury to a player of Lang’s age was a truly career-threatening injury, a lot of players go through shoulder seperations in their careers and come back from them well enough. At 38 though, I don’t think Gainey wanted to roll the dice that Lang would be able to skate with the new team he was assembling. Disappointing, but I think Metropolit can be extended provided the cap situation works out this summer or we’ll likely be tapping Hamilton to fill out the ranks.

58. crabvader says:

Hulk Hogan is back!

59. crabvader says:

Stats don’t tell the whole story. If you actually watched Phoenix you would know how big a role Lang has played in the turnaround.

He was a catalyst for it at the start of the season. You could tell his linemates were comfortable with him and they also were playing very well around him.

He’s also 5-6 years older than Metro and coming off of a severe Achilles tendon injury (which, I hope, you consider in your “stats”)

Travis Moen, how many points does he have? Does that take anything away from what he brings to the team? No.

Please use your stats a little bit more sparingly and cautiously before trying to make an invalid point.

60. crabvader says:

Both Boston and Philly lose.

Thomas is not a savior. Boston’s D was the saving grace of that team. They made Tim look good last year.

This year, not so much. Also, how many games before Gagne gets injured for half the season? He’s expensive and he’s also very injury prone. I don’t think that Boston would want to revisit that.

I wouldn’t bother with Brunnstrom. We need physical play and guys who can fight for pucks in the corners. Brunnstrom is a complimentary player and we have those.

Tanguay is a bum.

Ryan could potentially be a 5mil per player if his agent plays his cards right, the kid is a tank and has loads of skill. He’s also gonna be a 30+ goal scorer for many years.

61. HabFanSince72 says:

Lang has 9 goals and 24 points in 64 games for the Yotes.

62. wmarcello says:

Here’s an article on it plus full video. Obviously he went overboard but it really was a brutal ref call.

63. Say Ash says:

Six games to go and we’re still juggling lines as we scrape for a playoff spot. Now we’ll put together Gomez-Gionta-Cammalleri – why does the K-K-Tanguay line come to mind?

64. crabvader says:

You know… in regards to Metropolit, I can see PG and co. pulling yet another Robert Lang.

Metro deserves an extension. We need to veteran presence on the team and getting rid of them all the time is definitely not the answer.

I’m sure his price won’t skyrocket. He’ll probably sign for around the same thing and who knows, if we are lucky, at a discount since he isn’t a spring chicken anymore.

Guys like that are really the foundation of a team. They are the ones that help build confidence for younger players. When you have 3 new-jacks on one line and it’s their first time in the NHL, you are playing with fire.

Look at Phoenix. They relied so much on young talent that even Turris, Boedker, Mueller and Hanzal looked really average if not bad.

Phoenix has, however, turned things around dramatically and I think it’s because of the key additions to the team… Robert L. being one of them…

Guys like Metro and Lang bring the best out of your future stars. They are mentors and shouldn’t be treated like disposable parts.

Metro has been bleeding for this team. He works every single shift he is on the ice and he is a good example and a model of work ethic for our younger guys.

I don’t want this guy to be let go and I sincerely hope we re-sign him. He is one of the few players I still want to see in a Habs uniform by next year.

65. habs001 says:

you are probably correct…just hope that in the near future the habs will be a team where we dont care who we play and we are the dominant team…now we are a team that is hoping for help

66. Drive_For_25 says:

Anyone see Jim Playfair’s blow-up againgst the Dogs yesterday?  Check it out on TSN’s video player.  Hilarious!  His player got 5 and a game for charging the goalie.  Didn’t see the play but it sounds like a weird call right off the bat.    Guess refs are morons at all levels.  Ref was Don Koharski’s son.

67. RetroMikey says:

Carolina, Toronto and Islanders will be coming hard against us, these teams will not be floating since they are out of the playoffs, everyone loves a spoiler and these teams could spoil our playoff run.

As for Philadelphia and Buffalo, ditto,

Don’t be confident, we are not guaranteed a spot just yet.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

68. chesc0 says:

New Rumors coming from hockey30.com

- With Selanne and Niedermayer’s close to retirement, the Ducks will have enough salary space  to sign a good contract with Ryan this summer. We are talking about 4M/year.

- The Stars should trade Fabian Brunnstrom this summer.

- Alex Tanguay would offcially announce his retirement after this season.

- According to the Boston Globe, Philly would be interested in Tim Thomas. Simon Gagné would be traded this summer to get a hand on Thomas.

69. megagoten says:

pretty sure they haven’t as much as cammer-plek

70. JD_ says:

To be fair, I wouldn’t characterize Metro’s sitting as being benched.

Prior to Metro’s injury, the finally healthy lineup had given JM the luxury to alternate players in and out, be it for rest or message-sending. While the latter was clearly the case for Laps, in Metro’s case, the guy’s no spring chicken and his legs were faltering prior to the Olympic break. Once NHL play resumed, his play was back to par. My read is JM wanted Metro in good shape heading into the playoffs, on the assumption that is where the team was headed.

I fully expected Metro would be rested again before season end.

71. Hockey Socks says:

I think size was the problem. They need a big body on both of those lines. The smurf line got absolutely crushed on some nights.

72. habs001 says:

we probably have the easiest sched on paper vs the other teams contending for playoffs…atlanta has wash and pitts 2 times…

73. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

Comment contradicts what he’s saying which contradict with what he likes
    IF you are going to say something negative have a negative picture at least have the effort to change your profile.
    i’m sorry if that against HIO policy but that stuff just irritates me…

74. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

his good looks

75. topher5468 says:

3-1 Sabres,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

76. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Softie by Thomas there, I could’ve stopped that. But there’s a reason why he’s a professional and I am not.

Tuukka just replaced Thomas by the way.

77. makka83 says:

There are 6 teams ahead of us… how did our goalies fare against them?

Halak:

12 starts – 3-7-2 – 3.25 GAA – 0.893 save% – Win% 25% (Habs scored 2.25 goals on average in those games)

Price:

14 starts – 4-8-2 – 2.63 GAA – 0.916 save % – Win% 29% (Habs scored 2.14 goals on average in those games)

Yup, Halak is MUCH better than Price.. just not against the teams that we will face in the playoffs. Not only does Price conceed 1 goal less every 2 games, he has a better win% and a MUCH better save %.

Their stats against top teams are very similar. :-)

78. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

It’s end of the season, and personally I really don’t care who starts in the net, our priority right now is to get that mojo back in the special teams. Man, I miss our league leading power play.

Plus look at those records. 3-7-2 and 4-8-2.

It won’t matter which goaltender is in net. The team needs to step up BIG TIME or else they’ll be stuck with a losing record with either goalie in nets. You bring up a very interesting point though Andre!

79. idle says:

Of course he has good looks.  He doesn’t go anywhere on the ice that might cause him to get a scratch or dent on his face.

It’s a MAB MAB world.

80. idle says:

Everyone gets up to play the Habs.

It’s a MAB MAB world.

81. Flabadagub says:

Hey guys, any link for Atl, Canes??

82. topher5468 says:

Thats cool, I believe in both our netminders, its our Offense that concerns me of late but Im sure they will come around

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

83. Habitant in Surrey says:

…an indelible part of the iconoculture of growing-up and living in Montreal for Me and many Other Montrealaise back in the late-50s-60s-70s was/is The Montreal Pool Room and the Cafe Cleopatre (cum si, cum ca) on ‘The Main’ (or Boulevard St. Laurent …I tink Dey call it nowadayz)

…for Moi, when I was 13/14 years old and startin’ to rut-around fascinated by the female-form, I would venture from My relatively-sedate Cote-des-Neiges-area down to the ‘loin to partake of the Beret Bleu and the varied strip/burlesque/variety clubs around the intersection of (rue) Ste. Catherine (Street) …the seedier ‘joints’ typically were on the south-side, and ironically the easier ones to get into too for Those not of votin’ age

…those were der dayz pre-Drapeau …and Montreal was North America’s Sin-City …For an explorin’ 13/14 year old, Montreal was very safe compared to an American city, yet reeked of anything goes relevant to ANYTHING rating a fun/sensuosity-quotient

…as a 13 year old, I could sit with a stripper at the back of the bar (the girls used to take Me to Their bosoms You might say, …with a few rather appreciated exceptions, mostly in a ‘motherly way’ :-)) ) …I would just sit there and watch the ‘wayz of the world’ …often recognizing varied politicians, police chiefs, Gazette Sports Writers (long since deceased ;-)) ), ministers, priests, rabbis …I even spotted a few teachers and a vice (appropriate)-principal (that was later used to My advantage on more than one occasion)

…one night, years later, I passed an open-to-the-street bar door one hot summer night to see standing on a small platform, a tiny young girl with a big voice warbling her heart out, …You may recognize her name today as Celine Dion

…in the middle among these low-rent pleasure and entertainment emporiums You also found the best chien chauds ‘steamies’ this side of Hot-dog Heaven …including The MontrealPool Room (The Pool Room that was NOT a pool room !)

…You guyz in HIO seem more concerned about whether it will be Price or Halak Whom will be traded this summer …or the loss to the Devils …the uncertainty whether We make the Playoffs or not …Well I think You got Your priorities WRONG ! …MORE important is WHAT is happenin’ to The Montreal Pool Room !

…quote The Gazette “…The Montreal Pool Room, allegedly the oldest eatery in the city, moves Wednesday to new digs on the other side of the Main, a few steps away from Club Soda. Employees and patrons will have to acclimatize themselves to the new venue: it’s a far cry from the old home, a monument to pure minimalism that wouldn’t ever pop up in the pages of Architectural Digest.

The new location, on the other hand, just might make it to that publication. Glistening stainless steel counters, high-end ceramic tiling and rest rooms that would be the envy of a four-star resto. Hell, the steamers and fryers are new. And, yes, contrary to rumours, even the oil for frying the frites will be changed.”

…I don’t know about You Guyz remainin’ in My ol’ Montreal …BUT this is terribly Bad Karma for Montreal AND The Montreal Canadiens …I would be hand-cuffin’ Myself to The Pool Room doors as We speak to prevent this sacrilege to take place !!!

…the REASON I still cheer for Our Habs is BECAUSE my ol’ city knows how to appreciate the raunch with elan …HOW can I cheer for a Team from a city that is turning Da Pool Room …into a (For Gawd’s Sake)) …RESTO-BAR ???

…Get Real Guyz !!! …Get Your Priorities Straight ! …TO THE BARRICADES !!!!

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

84. topher5468 says:

How true is that, I think its the great Atmosphere that our fans bring every night.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

85. topher5468 says:

2-1 Canes, mid 2nd

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

86. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

We are getting a lot of help tonight – Thank God!

3-1 Sabres over Bruins right now – currently in 2nd

2-1 Hurricanes over Thrashers right now – also in 2nd

87. Bill says:

Keep trying.

Full Breezer 4 Life

88. makka83 says:

I agree with you. My point isn’t that Halak is worse than Price or that Price should start. I think Halak has earned his #1 status.

I just think that bashing Price because Halak is better than him right now it stupid. Now I have proven that it’s not the case! =)

89. makka83 says:

Not trying. These are stats. If you would like to prove FACTS wrong.. please go ahead. We all know what “keep trying” means. It means you have nothing to say!!!

90. topher5468 says:

After allowing an early goal, Miller has returned to his usuall spectacular form

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

91. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

The Habs are more embaresed by his Chicken Dance and Macarena in the press box then they are by his performance on the ice.

92. Les Habitants says:

hurricanes and sabres wins tonight, is same has a win for the habs….

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

93. Don Carnage says:

There is no point in trying, everyones knows Price is the future but dont try and tell the Halak fans that.

94. Don Carnage says:

Your a better hockey player right ?

95. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

I doubt it, but I’m sure someone on the Hamilton Bulldogs is…and thats the point

96. Chorske says:

So glad you’re here to speak on behalf of “everyone”

97. Don Carnage says:

We have 2 good young goalies there is no need to bash one to make the other better but here in Montreal we eat our young.

98. makka83 says:

I understand Halak fans’ point of view. However, bashing Price is something I disagree with. I think he has done okay.

I think that if we didn’t have Halak we most likely are not in the playoffs. He saved our team a few too many times. That being said, Price’s play hasn’t been that much of a disaster!

99. Don Carnage says:

If there was he would be in the big league. Max is having an off year, but of course we need to eat our young.

I bet if he was not french the people on this site would bash him 40% less … its a given

100. Don Carnage says:

Bashing our players is just plain stupid.

101. Harani says:

Since he missed a team meeting on Sunday, Mike Ribeiro is punished and i s healthy scratch tonight. Marc Crawford made him skate extra this morning and wants to send a message. A little too harsh no? Especially because he’s one of their best players.

And also, Patrik Kaleta’s season is over. One douche less! And if we play the Sabres, one less annoyance. But then Lappy won’t have anyone to yap with!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

102. SeriousFan09 says:

Kaleta’s out hmm? Nice to see the shmucks get theirs now and then.

103. petefleet says:

That’s funny.  If not for Halak, the Habs would be battling the Leafs for 29th.  Wake up.

Go Habs Go

104. showey47 says:

I agree. I’d like to see it a little more often though.

105. makka83 says:

so? that might be a good thing… instead we will barely make the playoffs and get eliminated early!

106. showey47 says:

If the stars were in contention to get a playoff spot i doubt he would have been sat and probably paid some sort of team fine instead.

107. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

I dont care if he speaks portugese. He’s a liability on the ice, I’m not down with cannibalism.
    I agree that he’s having an off year.

108. light_n_tasty says:

Halak: 24-12-3

Price: 13-19-5

The only stat that really matters.  Keep trying.

109. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

you keep forgeting the asterisk beside Halak’s name.
    *note most wins against teams not in the playoffs
    ahh now we’re on the right track.

110. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

he hurt his thumb… he’s a baby compared to moen.

111. light_n_tasty says:

Wouldn’t I have to put that same asterisk beside Price’s name?

112. showey47 says:

bruins lose and thrashers losing 3-1,love it.

113. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

YAY! Boston and Atlanta, both lost!

We MUST beat the Canes’ on Wednesday.

114. lavie says:

Thanks to other teams, we got a big “win” tonight.

115. Rugger says:

Atlanta is toast, after Toronto tomorrow, they finish up vs Pens, Caps, Devils, Caps, Pens.

116. HabFanSince72 says:

Pens, Caps, Devils, Caps, Pens.

Ouch!

117. HabFanSince72 says:

Ryan Miller gave up a very soft goal to the Bruins with 5 min left but those pylons couldn’t take advantage of it.

Bruins simply cannot score.

I would love to see the Bruins out of the playoffs but it doesn’t look like either Atlanta of NYR can catch them.

118. showey47 says:

AT first i was concerned because none of those teams have anything to really play for. But then i remembered both ovy and sid are both battling for the rocket richard trophy and ovy is also going for the league scoring title. I’m sure neither want to finsh 2nd to each other in goals. Could work out well for us.

119. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

no but anyone could have won against the teams that Halak won agaist.
    even you could win aganst them.
    he’s a good backup, having an above average year.
    You like backup goalies and you want the Habs to fail.
    I respect that, lets just hope it doesn’t happen for the sake of the team.

120. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Nah, I want to watch those pathetic goons get sweeped. By the Capitals’ offensive force. Ah, wouldn’t that be loverly?

121. Price_31 says:

I kind of wanted to see them make the playoffs to see the change in the Franchise, but looking at their schedule, i don’t think so. Maybe next season..

122. Storm Man says:

I just want to see the Habs win games and not watch other teams lose so we may get a playoff spot

123. Rugger says:

Pens/Devils also look to be going down to the wire to determine 2nd/4th seed.

124. habsperspective says:

If theres pathetic goons, its the Penguins and Matt Cooke, for talking out Savard, I actually like th bruins, especially considering there only team in our division we can beat!

125. Price_31 says:

Off topic and a long read but pretty funny:

126. idle says:

What does that have to do with anything?  I don’t play in the NHL, it’s not my job to be a hockey player.

It’s a MAB MAB world.

127. light_n_tasty says:

lol! OK, you win! You got me!  I’m just a backup-lovin’, Habs-hatin’ fool.  Glad you respect that.

128. zak says:

Don,t watch hockey

129. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

You’re like Darth Vader IF you Switch back. (i couldn’t think of a less nerdier, more known example) wait in this form  maybe this would work…
    like Brisbois was a habs (good) switched to colorado (bad) then back to the habs (good).
    Plus Halak’s probably going to the KHL ( i lost all hope in european players after Alexander Perezhogin)
    i know you’ll come back with that’s like comparing apples and oranges. He’s got the option and he’s got more insentive to move closer to home than stay far away. “I don’t care where I play as long as I play” didn’t Halak say something close to this or along these lines in an interview in november or december to either RDS or TSN.

130. Canus says:

Amen. You sound like my kinda guy.

131. light_n_tasty says:

Waaiiiiiit a second.  Are you saying that we have a losing record against teams that are ahead of us in the standings?  HOW in the bloody eff did THAT happen?

132. light_n_tasty says:

“as a 13 year old, I could sit with a stripper at the back of the bar (the girls used to take Me to Their bosoms You might say, …with a few rather appreciated exceptions, mostly in a ‘motherly way'”

uuuhhhh….am I the only person who takes this to mean that you were breastfed by strippers at the not-so-tender breasfeeding age of 13?

133. ManApart says:

Anyone can win against those teams? Against teams below us…….Halak: 21-5-1…..Price: 9-11-3. Uhhh, well not anyone. The diffrence is just brutal

134. light_n_tasty says:

So, after a couple of readings, I’m gonna haveta say that I really have no idea what you are talking about.  Your hockey knowledge is clearly too vast for my miniscule know-nuttin-’bout-hockey mind.

135. Don Carnage says:

He was not charging for autographs, Halak is a good young goalie , Price is a better younger goalie.

136. CalgaryHabsFan says:

It would be silly to even consider trading Price. I think Halak gives us the best chance to win now so I would stick with him as the starter for the rest of this season. I would look to trade Halak in the offseason and try to pick up a veteran goalie who can act as a mentor to Price. That being said if I was gm I would try to trade Halak out of the eastern conference.

_________

“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”

137. nunacanadien says:

More like we all know Price is our future backup goalie, at least now Price knows that….why waste Halak’s hand signing autographs?  At least Gauthier is getting his promotional money out of Price…..

138. Habitant in Surrey says:

…wasn’t too impressed with the promos for the Don Cherry CBC drama series …didn’t think the lead actor as too convincing in the short vignettes …yet, My Son turned it on, and found as a brainless way to fritter away 60 minutes of One’s Life, it was better than I thought it would be …in a Canadian bete-noir kinda way

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

139. habs4ever2894 says:

agree…

140. Bill J says:

Also agree with ALL of this post.

Halak is clearly the #1 this year.  He is also 2 years older then Price.  Considering how well Halak played 2 years ago (very comparable inconsistency as Price this year) I still maintain Price has a higher ceiling.

141. AH says:

Great, so I guess Pouliot’s in the dog house now? Great, just where we need him in the stetch run. Hope he gets out of his “funk” dam quick!

142. Xtrahabsfan says:

Oh boy …here they come ….it’s the Carey Price Teabagger Society…Listen up,with Price as our no:1 goalie this year and if he played 80 percent of the games this season what do you boys think the Habs record would be right now? I say we would be in last place!

143. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey everyone, here come the Halak-backers with rational arguments.

Oh wait, that’s an oxymoron.

144. HabsRadio says:

Pouliot on the third line would be a big mistake in my opinion.  This is the sort of situation where we screwed Latendresse up to begin with.  Leave him with the consistent linemates he deserves…

We discuss more of what this could mean going forward:  http://www.habsradio.com/2010/03/29/pessah-edition/

===========================================================================
    Check out http://www.HabsRadio.com for a fresh take on all things Habs. Blogs, Discussions, and of course, the Podcast!

145. Bill J says:

Funny – but that was your dream scenario not too long ago wasn’t it ? a #1 overall draft pick ?

Hey take your teabagger comments that reak of ignorance and go back to learn english – all I see is posts that say HALAK is the #1 Goalie this year – but when it comes down to who is kept (if its a choice)

a logical choice is to keep the goalie with the higher ceiling.

But you don’t deal in logical – just name calling ;)

146. ed lopaz says:

Hey Serious Fan – you think that Halak deserves to be bashed? I’m not clear on your position here.

147. boy from school says:

agreed. this line won’t (shouldn’t) last long.

In Taylor Hall territory. If Halak had more games we’d be in 5th place in the East, maybe 4th, but my arguments aren’t logical, they’re based on voodoo witchcraft and superstition.

149. SeriousFan09 says:

No, but the supporters of Halak who base everything on slagging Price are really grinding on my nerves these days. I like Halak, but I think Price is the real future in Montreal and throwing him under the bus because it makes Halak seem like the better goaltender I find to be a poor argument.

150. Bill J says:

Neither goalie should be bashed  IMO – I read SeriouFan’s post as a bashing of Xtra who came on to dump on people who like Price. Not as a Dump on Halak.

151. SmartDog says:

To do it one game may not be a bad idea.   For a couple of reasons.  First, because he’s dipped.. maybe a chance in scenery for a game willl spark him, or just make him want to get back on a higher line. Second, he might bring some scoring to that line.  Maybe there’s some chemsitry with Laps… two young French guys. Gotta do something wiht Metro out.  I say ONE game it’s worth a try to see if something clicks.

———————————————————— Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

152. SmartDog says:

Since we’re playing “Little GM” again… how about the GM:

1. Signs Price AND Halak and then trades one – the one he gets the better deal for?

2. Then he signs Pleks and Metro and Darche, and dumps one or more of Hamrlik, Spacek, Gill, Gomez (to clear space) depeding on what came back from the goalie deal and what he can get for one of these guys.

Is that so crazy?   Man, we could have a good team if this plan was done well and we picked up a big scoring forward and a solid character agitator.

————————————————————- Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

153. Bill J says:

I agree…. But with all these teams openly regretting not picking up a Goalie at the trade deadline.

I doubt ANY of the goalie agents who have UFA or RFA status impending.  Will sign prior to the deadline.

Also – once one of the two goalies signs, VERY unlikely the other does too (unless its just for the minimum required qualifying offer blahblah stuff which usually ends up with the player walking for not having been given proper respect once they reach UFA status)  Call it a hunch ;)

154. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Well…Go Sabres and Carolina (only for tonight).

155. mrhabby says:

1…agree.

2…agree …hard time getting rid of gomers contract.

156. Clay4bc says:

Halak doesn’t “seem” like the better goaltender – he is the better goaltender.

_________________

Don’t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

157. ed lopaz says:

its very hard to tell with goalies – price has had a good run and then tailed off.

had price stayed on the run, halak would have never even gotten a chance in montreal.

thomas vokoun is pretty good goalie that montreal never even gave a chance

theodore looked like the next roy when he won league MVP – then he tailed off badly – now he seems to be finding his game again.

how about tim thomas – last year vs this year

or how about a guy like luongo – he;s so hot, and now he looks like crap almost every night.

goalies are very tough to get a read on.

that’s why I leave the technical crap to people who KNOW GOALTENDING – EXPERTS.

otherwise- for me it comes down to winning and losing – that’s it.

No matter what Tom says – if halak wins, its got to be for a reason – and if halak loses its also for a reason.

the same logic should be applied to both goalies – equally.

I could care less who plays – but I will defend Halak if someone like Tom starts to say thing like Halak is tired, lazy, etc – that’s just ridiculous bull.

158. Clay4bc says:

He was not inconsistent 2 years ago…you are mistaken.

_________________

159. Drive_For_25 says:

I don’t really understand the punishment to Pouliot.  He hasn’t been hurting us out there.  Didn’t play the whole 3rd period against Buffalo and was demoted here and there throughout the next couple games.  JM has no clue how to coach.

160. topher5468 says:

Its so frustrating to watch teams like Buffalo and NJ give up these weak ass goals against other teams when we have to be near perfect to score on them.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

161. Bill J says:

Oh ok – just cuz YOU said so right ?

Whatever.  Im not getting into a whose right debate.  Whoever reads this – please go back & look at the stats from 2 years ago and make up your minds yourself.

At least provide an ACTUAL argument.  Perhaps provide why you think this way ?  Or are you afraid it is you in fact who is wrong and are afraid to be corrected ? not sure.

162. Danno says:

Just showing how he can be a pr*ck

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

163. Danno says:

Sabres Bruins 1-1, Canes Thrashers 0-0. Both still in 1st period.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

164. makka83 says:

against bad teams yeah. Against contenders they are about the same. Actually Halak is worse! Revise your stats!

165. topher5468 says:

2-1 sabres

1-0 Atl

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

166. makka83 says:

Yes he was. Look at his away games and his home games. Also he was a backup and his consistency is not a bad thing, this is something all goalies and players go through in their careers.

167. makka83 says:

Bah, using your logic, you are in Halak’s teabagger society!

168. Danno says:

I don’t know what it is. I’m getting to not like Atlanta a lot lately.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

169. topher5468 says:

Cam Ward is starting for Carolina tonight, I wonder if he will be in there on Wednesday, just in time to play great against us.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

170. Habalisous says:

Man oh man, that Leaf game on the 10th is starting to freak me out….I said it before the break….the season will be decided on that day.

”You miss 100% of the shots you never take.” – Wayne Gretzky

171. newbrunswick troy says:

I couldn,t agree more

172. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

S****** R****n in lake cowichan,b.c.
    HI/O member for: 2 years 15 weeks
    Habs fan since: 1959
    Favourite player (current): Price

isn’t this you? Your favourite player is Price
    hahahahahahahaha man you’re an id***.

173. Bill J says:

LMFAO!!!! Now I wish I had thought to look for myself.

174. idle says:

I don’t mind seeing Pouliot and Sergei together, I think there is potential there.  But what does Lapierre bring?

It’s a MAB MAB world.

175. kazmojo says:

Completely agree. I’d like to see Saku back in Moore’s spot. Would be a great two-way player, and the go to guy for important faceoffs.

If you can find someone to take Gomez, Marleau might be in play. I don’t see that happening though so I’m guessing both Hamrlik and Gill will be traded to clear roo, esp with the blueline talent in Hamilton waiting for their chance.

176. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Yes Canes’ tie it!

177. idle says:

Playfair needs to get a life.  Not only was it pathetic to loose it that way but if you are going to loose it that has to be one of the lamest ways to do it I have ever seen.  What is he the HULK??

Absolute fool.

It’s a MAB MAB world.

178. Harani says:

I don’t know if it’s been posted before. But Abbotsford Heat coach Jim Playfair completely snaps a la Tortorella in a game against the Bulldogs. I think it’s hilarious!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

179. mrhabby says:

i think playfair should be suspended..a complete fool.

180. dudurules says:

Ok… but what about poor back checking… weak defensive zone play… and he looks like he’s trying to hit but just has no strength… does not look like the guy we picked up…

181. spos080808 says:

Um you do know in his last 7 games he has not been a minus player once. He is +3 in that timeline.

182. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

I have seen him take some plays off but I don’t think he has played weak in the defensive zone and he has been back checking and covering. He has not been scoring as much though he has been picking up assists. I noticed the opposing team is covering him better in the slot and tying up his stick and that he is the recipient of a high number of terrible passes; that said I do see him make bad passes to Gionta and Gomez when he should shoot or move the puck forward. Gomez and Gionta look for one another first and the line chemistry would be much better if that wasn’t always the case.

Sometimes he does seem like he has less energy than before and that could be the excitement having worn off or the wear of playing a full NHL season, this being his first. He has dealt with injuries and recovered over the Olympic break but maybe something is stil hurting him. However I like Pouliot a lot, believe he is one of the Habs better players and look forward to him getting better.

183. dudurules says:

I like him too and agreed he will get better and better but over the last week (other than the backhand goal) he’s been caught on the ice tired and blew chances to get it out… but hey, he’s not the only one… AK is the same.  He’s under the microscope and i’m being hard on the guy… I just expect these young guys to have the energy.

184. TomNickle says:

I was just about to post that Martin is giving Pouliot the Spezza treatment.  Hopefully it helps.

185. SeriousFan09 says:

Darche lasts the 1st period if that for next game if he does start on that line, than Benny goes back in.

JM’s trying to put his foot up Ben’s rear end in a not so subtle way to remind him he wants a full game’s work from the guy.

186. topher5468 says:

Hey SF, In your opinion, why do you think Pouliot needs a foot in the rear. I dont get it. How or why would you not be self motivated in a playoff push like this. I think your right , But I just don’t understand it.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

187. TomNickle says:

BAD turnovers lately too.  Giving the puck away and getting his pocket picked.  He’ll be fine, just needs to realize that first line duty is earned and not handed out.

188. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s been hesitant to rush the net since his injury that knocked him out before going into the Olympic break it seems, scared of getting hurt again after just finding a new home to play hockey, who knows. JM wants him to pay the price for the goals he can score but Pouliot seems to be afraid to get hurt again. He’s had trouble this season so he wants to play hockey but after a wrist and then a shoulder problem, he’s worried about getting hurt again while trying to earn his spot in Montreal perhaps.

189. topher5468 says:

Nice angle, I guess I was thinking a bit more inside the Box, well I like Benny and I hope he finds a way to correct himself, we need him big time

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

190. SeriousFan09 says:

In the end, we’re just the fans and all we can do is guess.

191. ManApart says:

Why, because Price has won so many more games? I mean really, the guy has like 13 wins all year. Even the worst goalie in the league Toskala has a better winning% so Try again.

192. Les Habitants says:

Just a friendly heads up, you just opened a big old can of worms here for the Price bashers

Prepare for the backlash

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

193. Storm Man says:

No he would have been traded by now

194. Bill J says:

Why – you have that title all to yourself – and your so good at it too.

195. SeriousFan09 says:

I sometimes wonder if Lafleur could’ve made it through three seasons if he was drafted today to break out in his fourth.

196. mike g says:

Exactly….great point

He would have been run out of town so fast….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

197. The M says:

I didn’t write a word of that article, i simply pasted a link and some excerpts.

Personally I am excited on the situation the Habs have in goal, but there’s room for a starter and a backup on NHL teams and not both.  There’s no point for an asset like that sitting on the bench.  If the Habs could fleece a team on a trade by trading either goalies and improve this teams lack of size/grit on forward and defense it’s exactly what they should do.

198. The M says:

That is a great point.  Look at Gui! in Missesota (not that Pouliot hasn’t been good), but Gui! got a chance in Minnesota and has run with it, scoring at a 40 goal pace and playing physical.  Has anyone actually watched him play there? He’s turned into an excellent hockey player.

199. mike g says:

I know M, I never wanted to smash you for posting it, and I don’t think I did.

I was just stating the general perception of the debate. I know Philly rejected Halak at the deadline because PG wanted a 2nd round pick. They weren’t willing to give that up and thank god. Jaro’s worth way more than that, Phily screwed up big time not taking the deal.

And if Price goes to Philly, my boy Mike Richards will win a cup very soon….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

200. mike g says:

I agree dude, that nothing is written in stone.

But when a 22 year old goaltender can play ridiculously well like he has sometimes this year, it’s not a coincidence. His games vs Boston, SJ, Buffalo, Nashville, to name a few were awsome.

When a 22 year old struggles to find a rhythm and consistency, you let him learn and he will eventually pick it up. You can’t teach consistency, it comes on it’s own with time….But when it’s there, combine that with the great performances we’ve seen, and you’ve got yourself a good goaltender….Just don’t give up.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

201. Max_a_million says:

Imagine if poor Vinnie Lecavalier and his slow start had been drafted here, or traded here.  The guy would have no hair, a twitch, and looney imaginary friends.  Why we eat our own is beyond me, and very sad indeed.

If we do trade Price we will pay for it.  He will make us pay for it with his huge ceiling.

GO HABS GO!

202. Bill J says:

I think what the poster above you is trying to convey is what YOU are not seeing clearly.

Halak has 2 years of maturity on Price – something I believe most here & within the team will agree has been Price’s biggest stumbling block.

Price this year ? has matured faster and more then we all tend to admit.  You can tell in how he speaks about the games, he doesnt blame others as much as admit the “team” sucked.  I believe this is being noticed by the players, and the team chemistry is improving on that front.

as for the comparison between Halak & Price….  Let’s be clear, REALITY (this is what REAL Hockey GM’s believe, not us fans) is that Price DOES have a higher ceiling then Halak.  Not just speculation, but crystal clear fact.

If Halak is so great – why did Philly REJECT a deal that would have cost them a LOWLY 2nd rounder ?

If Price is over-valued – why was it that PRICE was the key to the Vinny deal ?

Perspective is a beautifull thing, you should consider looking at it from a reality perspective, because this is NOT about what a few fans THINK is the reality.  We as a group can tend to over-value players sometimes, Price is one of the few that DOES have value (as viewed by NHL GM’s – & Scotty Bowman) and still some people are quick to give up on him.

I saw this team give up on Roy…. Biggest mistake the team EVER made.  I do not want to see them give up on another Goaltender who has won big games, and has been stellar for us.

203. habs03 says:

Good news: Atl and Boston loss. Bad news: new game vs the Cans, who have
    been playing good, and Habs killer Cam Ward is back, he couldnt take
    another week off!!

204. SeriousFan09 says:

Okay here’s one for you to pass the time, of all the NHL players (no goalies) who played or are playing hockey tonight, pick the one you would like to have on the team, regardless of salary issues.

I’ll take Tyler Myers.

205. Bugs says:

Getzlaf.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

206. Bryan says:

Drew Doughty, hands down

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

207. Bob_Sacamano says:

Myers is special but you´d take him over Doughty or Kopitar? No way!

1. Kopitar

2. Drew Doughty

3. Chara, just because it would make the Bruins worse. I´d trade him to another team afterwards.

208. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Guillaume Latendresse.

Kidding, Eric Staal.

209. Bob Barker says:

Drew Doughty. This kid is going to be winning Norris trophies for the next two decades.

210. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

Owen Nolan – he’s still trucking at 38, a good leader and an excellent role model …cuz he hates the leafs.

211. HabFanSince72 says:

Doughty.

212. andrewberkshire says:

Saku Koivu! Kidding… kinda.

Doughty, no question. At 22 he’s a top 5 defenseman in the NHL, by 25 no one in the NHL will hold a candle to him. The next generation of Raymond Bourque.

213. coachdoug says:

I second the motion…We need a Slovenian on the team…

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

214. coachdoug says:

The ongoing Yotes saga…I say they’ll be in Winnipeg next year…Why does Bettman let this failed experiment continue?

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

215. SeriousFan09 says:

Winnipeg doesn’t have the corporate sponsorship to make it happen.

216. SeriousFan09 says:

I like the idea of a Zdeno Chara type with skating ability. His size gives him an impressive advantage and that he’s got a great skating ability opens up a lot of options that makes things very difficult when it comes to countering him. He can do the shootout with good stickwork, he’s got incredible rookie stats.

217. Bob_Sacamano says:

Fair enough. I just think that Doughty overall will be a better dman for years to come and Kopitar is exactly what we´ve been missing in over a decade. A big center who guarantees (when healthy, of course) 30+ goals and 75+ points. He´s also still only 22…

218. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I’d take Eric over Kopitar though.

219. SeriousFan09 says:

Fair enough, I just find Myers an interesting player because of his size, there are players his size but very rarely can they skate like he does. A skating defencemen with his size creates an interesting scenario that I think will have a fascinating impact in the NHL in the future.

220. coachdoug says:

Could it be much worse than it is in Glendale?

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

221. SeriousFan09 says:

Not really, but just switching one unprofitable locale with another is not what the NHL has in mind I imagine.

222. coachdoug says:

The only downside to the Yotes moving is the snowbirds will miss their live hockey…they are probably buying all the tickets now anyways like Florida

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

223. light_n_tasty says:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say we don’t have the fan support either.  Maybe we could fill the MTS centre to it’s current 14,000+ capacity.  MAYBE.  Everyone here is poor and cheap.

224. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Francis Bouillon scored the OT winning goal for the Predators today. Go Bouillon!

225. christophor says:

best case scenario: sk’s playmaking and pouliot’s scoring touch find love at first sight and give us three solid scoring lines.

1- Cam-Plek-AK

2- Gom-Gio

3- Pou-SK

226. ManApart says:

People keep saying SK74 is a playmaker. He has 10 assists in 43 games. That is not a playmaker. That is an average player.

227. nunacanadien says:

I rewrote noting that this was a Halak basher.  Listen, the Habs team has decided it like Halak, it wins with Halak more often than not.

228. Le Jadester says:

Agreed and hope so ! (Notwithstanding AM and PKS – they might too, and I hope so, but the odds right now are not as good as DD’s IMO)

Habs, OLE !

229. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

DD’s.

- giggle -

230. Nina76 says:

I hope Metro is back with us next year. Even if we started a petion for getting Metro back it will be the bone heads at the top who will make the friggen decision…….yes they will do the wrong thing sgain. miss you Metro get well soon.

231. Bugs says:

I dunno, Nina. We’re 0-for-1 on petitions so far…

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

232. light_n_tasty says:

I would agree, but he’s not playing tonight.

233. Bugs says:

Does Getzlaf not play for the Duckies?

Did the Duckies not play Dalliss tonight for a 3-to-1 win?

Forgiverness, prease.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

234. light_n_tasty says:

Getzlaf is injured. Maybe he’s playin’ somethin’, but not hockey.

235. Bugs says:

Oh yeah? Well, what do I know?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

236. nunacanadien says:

What you forgot, the world passed you by?  Halak has won the number 1 spot for now, and Price no matter what he does, will still let in those floaters that cost games.  At least with Halak when the team sucks the team loses as a team, not the teams loses because Price let in a floater and Price loses it for the team, as opposed to the team losing with Price… big difference!

237. andrewberkshire says:

If you can’t see the talent and vision Sergei has, James, that’s your problem, not everyone else’s. The guy spent about 25 of those games with Lapierre, and on the PK. Where has he had an opportunity to be an offensive player?

238. ProHabs says:

Agreed. Sergei is overhyped by many posters on this site. He is a useful NHL player, no more, no less.

239. christophor says:

thats what he’s capable of doing.

the reason that post was hopeful was out of hope that he would start playing like he can.

people on HIO aren’t under the impression that SK is gathering assists by the bushel. they are are, however, aware that a few players on the habs are underachieving. that doesn’t mean that they can’t do better.

if you’ve been watching, you might have noticed that SK has made some really impressive passes as of late. better line mates might capitalize on them.

so, like i said in my last post, best case scenario: pouliot and SK find chemistry.

240. jimhasbeen says:

only jacques martin is standing in the way of sergei getting 50 assists

241. matraque says:

LOL!

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

242. badbalance says:

He was on the third and fourth line this whole time. Unless they put him on a higher line, he won’t get those points.

243. matraque says:

What’s going on with Pouliot?  Is it because of the media?

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

244. Anonymous says:

I doubt anyone outside the team would know that answer

245. J.J. of Turku says:

I don’t see why that couldn’t work…  Still waiting for Lapierre to wake up… Now they have at least one who can shoot, one who can pass and one who can, hmmm… well, one guy more… (I mean 3rd line)

It’s amazing how small world is nowadays. Friday evening (Finnish time) I ordered a ’45 striped t-shirt and a hoodie from NHL.com and monday morning (Finnish time) UPS called me and asked if they can deliver them between 1pm and 3pm! Too bad we’re at the summer house, would have been nice to strut around in my new hoodie :)

246. fuhgawz says:

SK , Benny , and Lappy interesting combination besides Maxuseless  SK and Benny IF they get to play together could be the makings of a great 3rd line scoring line id rather see Moore or Pyatt with them.  Lappy will end up killing momentum for that line with stupid penalties or his inablility to finish ANYTHING

247. TomNickle says:

For some reason I’m anticipating that SK, Poulio and Laps line taking a lot of bad penalties.

248. mike g says:

As someone stated below, Lapierre lacks the qualities needed to make that line a threat. He’s not a finisher, and those guys are pretty good setting up plays. It will probably be the most frustrating line to watch…

Moore would have been better suited, he’s got more finish even though it’s limited.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

249. SeriousFan09 says:

Lot of young defencemen are going to be competitive with each other, I think Hedman’s going to have a much bigger 2nd season in the NHL, Tampa doesn’t know how to manage talent. Myers has a lock on the Calder, Subban is NHL next season, Cam Fowler’s going Top 3 in the draft. Doughty has plenty of competition chasing him I’d say. Keith is entering his prime as well.

250. dicktracy says:

K_W the top hockey market. 6,000 every game for jr. a….4o years.  and…and.. and.. the best outstanding and shurly soon to be a and ok  DR J BASILLI

251. bostonantifan says:

Why don’t you try reading your posts before actually posting them?  If they read like this one, you shouldn’t bother posting, they make no sense at all.

252. linp says:

Where is MAB in today’s practice? Will he be the 7th Dman?

253. jimmy shaker says:

He was practicing with maxwell as the 7th and 8th D-men……so does that make him the 7-dman and scratched for Wed. or the 7th-dman and playing Wed. where JM wises up and finally uses 7D and 11Forwards.  I think JM, after years of narrow mindedness might be thinking outside of the box and go with this new look lineup.  But who sits?  Pyatt or Laps?

Shaker

Darche on the 1st line is as good a reason as any to NOT have confidence in JM as a coach. Who hired this dinosaur? Oh yeah right. That other dinosuar BG. Am I the only one who thinks the game has left these two yesterday’s men behind and in the dust. The player to put on the 1st line would be SK, or move Cammy to the 1st and put SK on the 2nd. Nevertheless this is just another example of Latendressing a player with potential into a mediocre player. Pouliot should be developing not regressing, unless this is all a ploy to get him to suck real bad so that the Habs can lock him up for cheap.

255. Harani says:

Stupid Electricity and Magnetism test tomorrow and the weather is crappy and I have a million things to do, so I’m not going to go to Price’s signing. I’ll catch him sometime later. If anyone’s going, just give him a big smile on my part!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

256. avatar_58 says:

Oh to live in Montreal :(

257. mark_13 says:

the lines sound good to me, pretty balanced.  plus it’s only one practice with these combinations, if he didn’t try anything people would complain about that too!

258. The M says:

The Flyer’s are targeting Carey Price this summer.

“We can’t go into next year with the same situation or a similar situation in goal that we have right now. What happened this year is really nobody’s fault. Ray (Emery) came in here and did everything we asked and was good until he got hurt. We got lucky with (Michael) Leighton, but we can’t expect to win doing things this way in goal.

“It’s already been decided that our No. 1 priority for next season is to get a goalie. We have to go out and get that player and commit to him as our guy.

“It’s probably going to mean somebody is going to have to be traded away, especially if we go after a young goalie on another team, but that’s what we’re going to have to do. We can’t keep going the way we have been. The goalie has to be the most important target and we don’t want to keep replacing one veteran with another. We want to get a guy who can be our goalie for several years…. We have to go in another direction.”

Then there’s Montreal, where it appears Jaroslav Halak has won out over Carey Price.

Now we’re talking.

Price, still just 22, was the fifth overall pick in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft and burst on the scene two seasons ago going 24-12-3 as a rookie and leading the Habs to the best record in the Eastern Conference until he was completely unnerved and dismantled by R.J. Umberger and the Flyers in the second round of the playoffs.

Link: http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2010/03/29/sports/doc4bb0b5f60b0fb087029385.txt

259. J.J. of Turku says:

They don’t deserve anyone better than Toskala :)

260. Ron in Ottawa says:

First of all- we should not trade within our own conference. It would be long term suicide to trade either goalie to a team anywhere in the East.

That being said, we do need to trade one of our goalies and we need to get something significant in the trade. I heard that Scotty Bowman thinds we should ride Halak this year into the playoffs, but long term we should keepPrice. Seems like several experts are saying this so who are we to say the opposite. Make a good run for Jaroslav then goodbye to somewhere in the west.

261. HabFanSince72 says:

No way are we trading Price to Philly.

I don’t think we should be trading him at all, but especially not to an important conference rival.

262. TomNickle says:

Sorry to burst the bubble of people who think there’s a shred of merit to this but the Flyers are the least likely trading partner Pierre Gauthier could have.  The Flyers have no draft picks to send our way and very little in the way of prospects to send over at an affordable cap hit, which would be the necessity to make the deal work due to cap considerations.  Van Riemsdyk is the only viable option in a trade.  I highly doubt that the Gauthier will send away a franchise goaltender in Price or Halak for a top 6 forward and a draft pick in 2012.

263. mike g says:

World War 3: Carey Price (the golden boy) vs Jaroslav Halak (the feel-good story)

When you speak to Price “lovers”, they tell you he will be great and the future goaler of the Habs. They say he will win us a cup, and be a top 5 goaltender in the league one day.

When you speak to Halak “lovers”, they tell you Jaro is better than Price now, and that Price will one day be a good goaltender, but not here in MTL.

Put 2 and 2 together, and you realise that both sides think Price is/will be a good goaltender. Some hope it’s here, others think he will be great somewhere else. So what does this tell you? Everyone thinks he will be great, so why the heck should we ever get rid of this guy? The reason Halak “lovers” say Price will never succeed here is because he’s not made for Montreal and it’s fans/market.

So, instead of the fans letting our players develop into themselves and creating their own identities, we should trade them. If Sidney Crosby was drafted by MTL and the media thaught he would be so much better playing elsewhere, we’d all want to trade him. It’s rediculous. Only in MTL can the fans/media think like this….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

264. crabvader says:

If we had to deal either goalie, I’d target Chicago.

265. Storm Man says:

15 mil over 4 years for Price should seal the deal, At the draft we trade Halak. Im coming to Montreal April 30 for a week should I get playoff tickets or book tee times?

266. badbalance says:

Pouliot should do good with Sergei, I still found last few games Pouliot wouldn’t egt the puck as much in front of the net, he needs togo back to the dirty spot and start potting in those sneeaky goals.

267. Anonymous says:

Which would be an imediate upgrade..

268. SeriousFan09 says:

Second that and it doesn’t matter, they don’t know what good goaltending is so they won’t offer a fair deal for Price even if he was on the trading block. Send him out west if we do deal him, there is no reason we should let him haunt us on the East Coast each season. I say hang on to Price still, but if he goes, not where he hurts us and especially not to a hack team of cheap shot knuckledragging thugs that should have been thrown out of the NHL long ago.

269. TomNickle says:

Oh boy do you hate them.  I love the passion.  It sounds like my hate for the Hurricanes.

270. SeriousFan09 says:

I consider one of the greatest moments in NHL History when the Canadiens broke them in the 70s without mercy. I just can’t stand a team that defines itself by being dirty. I know every team needs some guys for dirty work, but those guys revel in it, the fans embrace it and it just creates a bad brand of hockey.

It is the most skill-intensive sport in the world and it should be marketed for all the ability and skill that it requires showing the simple, creative beauty of the game that happens in each game that doesn’t feature the New Jersey Devils. Teams like the Flyers want to drag it down into a street fight.

271. TomNickle says:

I know, I know, but you don’t need to hold that against them now.  Carcillo is their only real meat-head now.

272. SeriousFan09 says:

Pronger, Richards, Hartnell, Asham and Cote spring to mind. Pronger’s one of the dirtiest players the NHL has and Richards on Booth was the worst hit of the year possibly and at best tied with Cooke’s.

273. TomNickle says:

You remember of course that Asham was a Hab.

Anyway, I don’t consider Richards, Hartnell or Asham dirty or bullies.

274. mark_13 says:

only concern with this new line is bad penalties and they need to skate hard every shift otherwise they won’t see a lot of ice time, really hope they get a few good bounces out there to get the confidence going!

275. Storm Man says:

I have been wondering why Jacques Martin has done the silly things he has this year. It all came to light when a friend of mine was in starbucks and Jacques came in with his ipod on singing ( pass the dutchie) so he has not lost his mind he is just high most of the time. Go Habs Go

276. mike g says:

Tell you what, send me Van Riemsdyk or Claude Giroux and a 1st or 2nd round pick for Jaro, and the deal is done.

They both come with cheap cap hits, are young, and are great players…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

277. TomNickle says:

But Jaro doesn’t want to be traded now that he’s getting his icetime, why would we do that?

278. mike g says:

When he wants 3 to 3.5 million per year, you trade his rights.

Of course depending on what he does or doesn’t do in the playoffs. Logic tells me he will do ok, which will get him that money. The UFA crop of goaltenders is weak, teams like Philly won’t mid signing Halak to that money. It’s him or Turco or Theo, logic also tells me it won’t be the veterans playing in Philly next year.

Then you sign Carey and let him blossom into the player everyone knows he will be…We leave him alone and let him stop pucks.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

279. TomNickle says:

Turco, Nabakov, Theodore, C.Mason, Ellis, Nittymaki, Emery, Biron isn’t exactly a weak crop Mike.  Theodore and Nittymaki are the only two in that group I wouldn’t be comfortable with as a starter.

I just don’t think that we’ll get blown away with deal for either one.  I think that the league can stand up and take notice that one of them will have to go eventually and that the market won’t be that big.  Anyway, gotta hit the road.

280. mike g says:

There isn’t one og those guys I’d take for a run to the cup…that’s my opinion…

Most of them are past their best years, the rest are a crap shot….

Aight Tommy, c ya tomorrow. Drive safe

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

281. Hockey Socks says:

I’d take my chances with Nabokov or Emery.

282. SeriousFan09 says:

Nabokov is a playoff choker who’s coming up on the wrong side of 30 as a goalie and Emery’s injury troubles (some reports said his torn labrum is career-ending) would make those bad bets.

283. SeriousFan09 says:

Cam Ward won the Conn Smythe trophy as a rookie and he didn’t make that kind of money on his next RFA day, it took 3 years later for him to secure a truly big-money contract.

284. Bill J says:

Considering he makes 2.2 Mill as it is.  I highly doubt he goes backwards in his salary demands, nor do I think any agent will just accept another contract with the same monetary values.

I think the mentality of comparing one player against another means didly squat to Price & his agent, and PG can cite the Ward contract till the cows come home, if Price & his agent don’t sign at 2.2 Mill or less…. He walks.

And I for one am not prepared to see yet another top prospect go for nothing.  It’s about time this team keeps it’s talent.

15 Mill over 4 years = 3.5 …. a 1.3 Mill raise.  While this season it could surely be argued Price did not have his best year for wins…. His stats (save % & GAA) are still VERY respectable considering the amount of losses.

PG has his hands full in resolving this issue.

285. SeriousFan09 says:

Walks where? He’s a Restricted Free Agent with no Salary arbitration option, he’s had trouble the past year and a half with only one playoff series win on his resume. His 2.2 million contract is actually a rookie contract of 775k with bonuses on it. He’s got the talent but he hasn’t displayed it often enough and gotten the wins that would really up his salary demands. He can be re-signed without breaking the bank.

286. Bill J says:

lol – I tried to edit it to correct that mistake by saying for “draft picks” lol you where too quick to reply.

While I agree he can be re-signed without breaking the bank, 3.5 Mill is not breaking the bank in the current NHL. (see Gomez’s contract – that’s a bank breaker)

Not to mention if another poster is correct – the Flyers will GLADLY pay Price or Halak 3-4 Mill.

Thus the logic whoever we keep should be paid well… or we could risk losing them both. (for picks) & suddenly have Desjardins a rookie even younger then Price, as our starter.

OUCH!. lol

Let me stir the pot some. Price get’s offered a shit-load cash from Philly and then they subsequently tank the next two seasons because he’ll still be attaining his “ceiling” and the Habs get major dividends vis-a-vis the entry draft. One can at least dream a little.

Desjardins is 24, no?

289. Bill J says:

And if that happened.  I would likely be a happy man, cept the 2012 draft is rumoured to be the weakest in decades.

Worse though – Philly Offers Price 8 Mill & then Chicago offers Halak 6 Mill…

we got Desjardins & some draft picks that may or may not be good ones, can you say the 10 year plan ? – WOOHOO! ;) lol

290. Bill J says:

Not sure – but how many NHL games has he played — ZERO ? (so my bad with the reference to the age) lol I think we all agree…. NHL Goalie experience can only be had by playing in the NHL.

291. SeriousFan09 says:

Except the Flyers don’t have the draft picks to offer sheet him, they send their 1st-rounders for the 2010 and 2011 drafts away already.

292. Bill J says:

Well that removes them from the equation.  In what deal did they trade those picks away ?

293. SeriousFan09 says:

Pronger deal, two 1sts, Joffrey Lupul (the 2nd time he’s been traded for Pronger actually) and Luca Sbisa, one of the Flyer’s top defensive prospects.

294. mike g says:

I wouldn’t unless they dangle Seabrook…

They’re doing just fine atop the Western Conference, while having pilons in nets. Immagine if they had capable goalers in Price or Halak. The would have won 10 more games this year, and way ahead of Washington for 1st overall in the league….

Just hand them the cup if we trade with them.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

295. SeriousFan09 says:

Seabrook’s getting his career boost from Keith, not unlike how Markov made the last 3 guys who played Right D for him. Seabrook’s better than Komisarek obviously, but he’s not that good. We can make O’Byrne our Seabrook soon enough.

296. Bill J says:

Seabrook for one of our goalies ? no thanks…. While Seabrook is good.  we certainly do not need MORE Defensive depth.  The Habs still do need to start making plans to integrate PK Subban, highly doubt he plays in the AHL full time next year based on this years AHL stats.

IF Chicago was involved.  I would HOPE we go after either Toews or Kane. (not 1 for 1) otherwise thanks but no thanks Chicago, we aint in the business of helping YOU win a Cup.

297. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Mr. David Stubbs ? …just a great column You wrote on an even better Person on Our Team

…thank you

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

298. wmarcello says:

Please, please, PLEASE do not let those be the lines for our next game. Darche and Laps need to stay as 3rd and 4th liners, and Pouliot needs to be on a scoring line.

299. G-Man says:

Pouliot needs to wake up before the season ends. He and others have been playing soft. Darche is simply a warning to Pouliot.

300. HabFanSince72 says:

This habit of putting grinders on the top two lines … Carbo had it, JM has it.

I don’t understand.

301. Halak the Franchise says:

I hope it’s just a warning.  I do NOT want to see Pouliot, soft or not, wasted on a line with “I Never Pass” Lapierre.  Lemaire nearly ruined Pouliot for life by punishing him with reduced ice time and dumping him to the fourth line.  It doesn’t work with him.  Martin needs to find another way to deal with him.

302. MathMan says:

He doesn’t HAVE another way.

He’s terrible with young players. I have no idea how he accrued a reputation for being a strong teacher.

303. Halak the Franchise says:

It’s true.  I can’t really think of a young player who’s responded to him.  I don’t count the goalies because they’ve got their own coach.  White and Pyatt looked great in their first callup, but I credit that to Boucher in Hamilton.  Pyatt hasn’t looked like he’s got any offense at all in the last ten games.  Desharnais, Trotter and Subban are all Boucher players too.  With the Habs, Chipchura, Lats and D’Agostini are gone and SK74 has been in the doghouse since camp.  Maybe some of it’s attitude with them all, but I don’t buy that that’s the case with all of them.  Chipchura is doing fine as a third line centre in Anaheim and we know what Latendresse is doing in Minnesota.   I like Pouliot a lot and I don’t want that Elvis-haired plodder to ruin him.

304. dudurules says:

The kid is not a superstar and has to be prepared to face the music when he plays like a bumb… this ain’t the O anymore!

305. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

I think Pouliot has been playing ok. He seems to have had a lot of giveaways lately but in my opinion that is generally due to the idiotic passes he is getting, the passes are either in his skates, behind him or when he is completely covered.

306. MathMan says:

Yeah, that’ll work. Not.

I hope that’s posturing by Martin. He seems to like posturing and sending messages. Me, I’d prefer he coached to win games rather than send messages, but apparently that’s asking a lot.

307. coachdoug says:

Hopefully this is just a JM “message” to Pouliout…They need to give him some time to develop like OByrne…He is having a very small “slump” right now he needs to work out of…

Seems pretty fast to be giving him a vote of no confidence…look how patient JM has been with AK46…he barely had a pulse for about 4 weeks…

“Vive le col roulé! Le système, C’est le col roulé!”

308. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

Put Maxwell in between Pouliot and SK74. Give Lapierre a tray of hot dogs and let him sell them in the stands.

Anyone know if there is a reason the team is keeping Maxwell up to sit in the press box? I am sure he appreciates the bigger paycheck but actually playing for the Bulldogs as they close out the season and get ready for the playoffs should be more beneficial than praciticing with the Habs and not playing. If they need him because of injury he can make it back from Hamilton in time for the next game so I don’t get it because I do not hink he needs to be waived or exposed to go back down.