Update: Darche has played his last with Habs

Darche

• EVENING UPDATE (Stubbs): Mathieu Darche has played his last game with the Canadiens, apparently unwilling to accept a two-way contract offer that would have paid him dramatically less should he have been sent to the minors.

On his Twitter account Wednesday afternoon, Darche first poured cool water on an TVA report than had his agent claiming it seemed unlikely the 35-year-old would be back for a fourth season in a Canadiens uniform. But Darche later suggested in the evening, again on Twitter, that it seemed he’d not be back with the Habs. At the same time, he thanked Canadiens fans for their support.

Darche, who earned $700,000 last season, is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

The NHLPA wrapped up its three-day meeting in Chicago on Wednesday afternoon in preparation for the upcoming collective bargaining agreement negotiations which will begin at the end of this week.

The PA disclosed the players who will be on their negotiating committee and both Mathieu Darche and Chris Campoli are among the 31 on the initial list. More players could be added down the road.

At a press briefing after the meetings in which he was surrounded by a couple of dozen players, NHLPA executive director Don Fehr didn’t disclose much else about the upcoming negotiations or the players’ positions heading into them. He also said he doesn’t know much about the owners’ positions adding he’s not concerned about that and it wasn’t that unusual in his experience.

Most expect the main issue to be about the share of revenue under the salary cap system that will be devoted to players’ salaries. That currently stands at 57 percent.

It’s believed the NHL owners may ask for a reduction to 50 percent, which is what they NFL and NBA owners achieved via lockouts during the past year and that could bring about a lockout and a delay in the start of next season. Fehr said, however, that wasn’t what he hoped would happen and added earlier this week that, legally, the season could start even if a new CBA isn’t reached as long as the two sides kept talking.

For more on this, you can read my SI.com story from Tuesday here.

While he wouldn’t discuss what players have told him about the issues they believe are important or how the mood heading into this negotiation compares to 2004 — “I don’t disclose conversations I have with players,” he said. — Fehr place no restrictions on the players from discussing their feelings with the media. Unlike the owners and team executives, who are under a gag order from the league office, the NHLPA won’t discourage their members from speaking to the press.

He repeated that he took the job after helping the PA get reorganized and finding he liked the players “an awful lot.” As to their suitability to take part in helping reach a new CBA, he said of the players, “They get it, they get it easily, they get it the first time, and they’re on top of the game.”

He added he’s fully prepared to go into the negotiation with them.

He expected player participation in the negotiations to be “very large, very significant and constant.” He added that any player was welcomed to attend the negotiations and that the PA would pay for their ticket and hotel room. “It’s their futures,” Fehr said, “and they need to take responsibility for it.”

NHLPA Negotiating Committee:
Craig Adams (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Adrian Aucoin (Phoenix Coyotes)
Alex Auld (Ottawa Senators)
David Backes (St. Louis Blues)
Marty Biron (New York Rangers)
Brad Boyes (Buffalo Sabres)
Chris Campoli (Montreal Canadiens)
B.J. Crombeen (St. Louis Blues)
Mathieu Darche (Montreal Canadiens)
Rick DiPietro (New York Islanders)
Shane Doan (Phoenix Coyotes)
Brandon Dubinsky (New York Rangers)
Ruslan Fedotenko (New York Rangers)
Alex Goligoski (Dallas Stars)
Ron Hainsey (Winnipeg Jets)
Scott Hartnell (Philadelphia Flyers)
Jamie Langenbrunner (St. Louis Blues)
Manny Malhotra (Vancouver Canucks)
Steve Montador (Chicago Blackhawks)
Dominic Moore (San Jose Sharks)
Brendan Morrison (Chicago Blackhawks)
Douglas Murray (San Jose Sharks)
George Parros (Anaheim Ducks)
Chris Phillips (Ottawa Senators)
Cory Schneider (Vancouver Canucks)
John Tavares (New York Islanders)
Shea Weber (Nashville Predators)
Kevin Westgarth (Los Angeles Kings)
Dan Winnik (San Jose Sharks)
James Wisniewski (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Henrik Zetterberg (Detroit Red Wings)

1. SlovakHab says:

Parenteau (smaller playmaking LW – Tanguay lite) would work well with a scoring center with some size and another large-ish winger. Tavares/Moulson were a good fit for him, but he wouldn’t be effective with a smaller playmaking centre in Plekanec or DD and a small winger like Gionta.
    He decided to test free agency to make some money off his offensive numbers and we do not need a player of this type anyway.

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

…on a personal-level this must be very disappointing for Mathieu …He gave Us His all …and his story is inspiring
    …for Me, a Fan that gets attached to Our Players (with exceptions of types like Kovalev and Kaberle) almost as much as Our Team, these are the moments that are not enjoyable
    …I guess Marc is anticipating some trades, Bulldogs, prospects and/or Free-agents will rebuild Our Team for the upcoming season, as much already realized so far with Management
    …this is going to be a hectic summer for Us
    …as for Mathieu, a guy that wears the CH on His heart so proudly, on and off the ice, I really hope a place will be found for Him in the organization once He has decided His playing career is at an end

So how much stock do we place in the stories of Darche being the conduit to JM from the dressing room? I always respected Darche’s work ethic, but the stories of him being JM’s window to the dressing room left me disconcerted.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I never heard that Gerald, so I guess until confirmed, He’ll remain one of the Good Guys I’ll regret seeing go :)
        …just too bad His talent isn’t as big as His heart

• boing007 says:

In other words, JM’s snitch in the room?

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

3. Habs1996 says:

Whoever fits with Pleky and Gio will need to be big IMO. That player could be a dump and chase specialist while being big (over 6″00″ at least).A winner along the boards.Good shot AND willing to bang when it needs to be done.
    A Power Foward Perhaps.
    Any idea if any players who fits those criteria?(from free agency or trade market)

4. Habs1996 says:

chelseafan…
    are you NYI GM?lol

5. kalevine says:

so long mathieu and thanks for your efforts
    time to focus on building a contender

6. Habs1996 says:

If everything is true,
    Dalton Thrower full potential
    would be a combination of Gorges-Emelin-Weber-Staubitz
    Gorges:Defensive plays
    Emelin:Here comes the BOOM
    Weber:good offensive awardness
    Staubitz: stands up for teamate
    GR8

• SlovakHab says:

That sounds like a 6’0 Shea Weber clone.
      I heard Bieksa / Wisniewski comparisons in regards to his full potential, which would be closer. But we talk about “full potential”, not “the most likely outcome”. Few players ever reach their full potential.

7. Muckbringer says:

before i go to sleep i just want to say its good to see a few new people on here not jizzin on their own face because of their own self importance.

we should be nothing less than a team!!!

viddey well brothers and sisters!!! this will be the last time till our next victory!!

Go Habs FIGGEN GO!!!!!

• boing007 says:

viddey well brothers and sisters!!!

Been reading A Clockwork Orange recently?

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

8. Habs1996 says:

Malreg…
    If we get Pa parenteau,
    would Gio be willing to go left wing?

9. BrianSkrudland says:

THE COMEBACK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djh2GnNyUrw

Watched this game with my Dad and we pretty much lost our minds. I remember the big plays made by so many key players. Everyone contributed to that win. Particularly, I recall Markov looking back (3:25 mark in the video) before making a nice pass that lead to the game tying goal while the Rangers were on a change.

That game was unquestionably one of the greatest highlights of my life-long love of the Habs.

Other than Cup wins, does anyone have a Habs moment that jumps out above the rest? Saku’s return(s); Richard’s standing ovation; etc.

• nickster13 says:

Halak against Washington game 2 or whatever. I started not even getting nervous. They kept coming, but Halak and Gill just kept turning them away time after time again. That was amazing.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• commandant says:

I’ll never forget: DESJARDINS!! DESJARDINS!!!

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
        Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• Chuck says:

Damn… you beat me to it! Watching the guys pirouette down the Forum ice in each others’ arms after that goal… it still gives me shivers thinking about it.

___________________________________________________

• BrianSkrudland says:

That was magical stuff, no doubt!

Didn’t they start the playoffs down two to the Nordiques? Big goals from role players throughout that run to the Cup.

• BrianSkrudland says:

He really was incredible in that run. Halak was, deservedly, the story of the playoffs. The D didn’t get enough credit for their shot-blocking either. Halak was amazing, no doubt. I just find that the job the D did gets lost in the shuffle.

The Habs run – and Halak in particular – that playoff year, is a great memory for myself and my young son. We played mini-sticks in our kitchen and he would always want to be Halak.

• nickster13 says:

Ya, agreed. I also had friends who had the Halak stop sign. That was too cool, there has been nothing else like that in recent memory.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• nunacanadien says:

Too bad we were all sold out by Gainey and his belief in Price. What team would get rid of their hot backup goalie? Honestly!

• Chuck says:

The ‘Illegal Stick’ game…incredible drama and eventual excitement in that one!

___________________________________________________

• Andy and the habs says:

i remember, by buddy had stopped watching thinking there is no way montreal would come back. but i never stopped watching as i often do. the mix of goals and the crowd still bring chills to the bone.

• neumann103 says:

Three moments , not necessarily the most important, but vivid each in their own way. And live. I have lived my whole life in Ontario, so it is not like I have the opportunity to see the Habs live all the time. But three snapshots in time across the years.

January 23, 1982 Calgary Flames visit the Montreal Forum. I visit for the first time alongside my grandfather (Leafs Fan). Seats up above the goal line in the Calgary end. Mark Napier scores two goals in front of me in the first minute of the game. We haven’t reached the second shift of the game and the crowd is standing and screaming.

April 11, 2004 Game 3 (first home playoff game) of the opening series against the Bruins. First visit to the Bell Centre. Halcyon days before the impending insanity of the lockout. Habs win on two goals by Kovalev and one by Markov, who along with Koivu are les trois etoiles.

April 28, 2010 I happen to be in Washington, DC. So are the Habs, but they are there to defeat the favoured Capitals in Game 7. An hour before puck drop i purchase excellent seats in the front row of the second level almost in front of the luxury box where Gary Bettman arrives to watch the game. (the security surrounding his arrival made us think it was going to be Joe Biden or someone important. More reason to love Bettman.) M.A.B scores in the dying seconds of the first. Halak saves 41 of 42 shots. Bye Bye Caps, Hello Penguins.

“Et le but!”

• Marc10 says:

Claude Lemieux’s goal against Mike Liut to eliminate the Whalers in the 86 playoffs.

Was watching that with about a 400 high school kids who were allowed to stay up in our various dormitories on the outskirts of Montreal.

We all jumped and yelled so loud I thought the place was going to collapse. It’s still one of my favourite hockey memories.

If anybody can find the link of the French broadcast of that goal… You can hear Mario Tremblay who was injured at the time and brought in as color man… Good ol’ Mario went absolutely nuts on that play. I loved it!

• boing007 says:

I was there too. Paid thirty-three dollars to a scalper for a standing room ticket. Had to jump up and down to see the play because every spectator at the Forum had bolted from their seats and were blocking my view. Still have my Stanley Cup winning t-shirt that I bought afterwards. Getting pretty thin and faded now, but still legible. And no holes either.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• nbsjfan says:

Lafleur flying up the wing, a nice little drop pass from Lemaire and a laser snap shot about 6 inches off the ice and into the corner of the Bruins net. Not only do they not score goals like that anymore, I’m not sure who in the NHL would be able to make that shot nowadays anyway.

• boing007 says:

Don Witman’s call when Koivu scored against the Bruins. He was so thrilled and beside himself with joy that his voice broke. It turned out later that Mr. Witman was fighting a battle of his own. After that, the CBC switched him to another series. Creeps.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

10. Habs1996 says:

From what i heard, Colombus is asking a value of like 3 first draft pick for Nash…
    Dont think it would be such a good move. IMO

• Rozz says:

god i hope we don’t even try for him.. i think what we got with our last 3 first rounders = way more than just Nash

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

Mark Twain.

• Mike D says:

That would be a terrible move for any team. In a cap league, you can’t give up ‘free’ assets like 1st round draft picks to get an expensive, though very talented, player. Especially not for Montreal who already has a few fairly expensive vet players.

With a cap system, value-for-money has to be a main priority. For example, is Nash really worth 3.3mil dollars more that Erik Cole? In terms of Nash and Cole, Nash is younger and has more natural skill, but the extra 3.3mil can be spent on another winger. I know Bourque had a bad season, but look at his career average. Factoring that in, I think Cole+Bourque > Nash, plus it gives us two wingers instead of one. If you had Nash, you also have to get another winger to address the other line in my scenario, which has major cap implications if you want that winger to be a true top-6 guy.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

11. HFX-HabFan says:

Apologies if this was already posted in the past week, but a great story about second round pick Dalton Thrower. The kid probably will “will his way” into the league as scouts have suggested, if his life story is any indication:

• jedimyrmidon says:

Wow, he and his family have been through a lot… I hope he has a successful career with the Habs!

• AH says:

I am so looking forward to seeing this kid in a Habs unifrom one day. The fact that he went after a guy 3-4 inches taller and 30-40 lbs heavier than himself in that game (prospects game I think?), to stand up for a teammate speaks volumes about his CHARACTER. And I believe the fight was a draw too! Those are the kind of guys you need on your team so no one messes with you.

And being a Dickens fan I of course love his name!

Paul Henderson didn’t just score the game winning goal in game 8 of the Summit Series… he also scored the game winning goals in game 6 and game 7. FYI.

• Muckbringer says:

Conan: Almost 20 years of pitiless cumber! No rest, no sleep like other men. And yet the spring wind blows, Subotai. Have you ever felt such a wind?
      Subotai: They blow where I live too. In the north of every man’s heart.
      Conan: It’s never too late, Subotai.
      Subotai: No. It would only lead me back here another day. In even worse company.
      Conan: For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.

13. Adidess says:

Anybody else on IPhone just realized screen display suddenly got bigger and better on HIO. Or I just pressed something by accident and boom I can read everything at an open book-type distance?

14. Steven says:

So Darche decided not to take a dramatic pay-cut should he be sent down, preferring no pay-cut at all?

The guy’s great, but which team is really gonna spend money on him at this point? Maybe Tampa since they have a tendency to go for our scraps, but even them, I don’t see biting.

• Mike D says:

Situations and questions like this one are what players pay agents for. He likely has an idea that some NHL team will at least give him the league minimum on a 1-way contract, or he can go play in Europe somewhere for more than what he would have made with the Habs. I don’t know how much the talking heads on TV make, but I suspect he could rival his AHL salary with a job on RDS.

I suspect that he wasn’t just offered a 2-way contract by Montreal, but that he was likely told the plan was for him to play in Hamilton and be one of the first call-ups should an injury arise. I think that’s why he turned down the deal. Last season was his very first 1-way contract as a pro.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Steven says:

Totally forgot about the Europe option. And we all know he could probably join RDS any time he wants.

You’re right about the Hamilton scenario, most likely. If there wasn’t a legitimate threat of being sent down, signing the 2 way deal probably shouldn’t have been a problem.

Either way, all the best to Darche, wherever he ends up. It’s for the best we parted ways with him, though.

15. chelseafan says:

Pacioretty-D.D.-Cole
    ??-Pleks(Galchenyuk)-Gionta
    Bourque-Eller-Leblanc
    Moen-White-??

PK-Georges
    Markov-Emelin
    ??-??(Maybe Kaberle…)

• ProHabs says:

My goodness that lineup looks weak. I had forgotten just how bad we were last year. So many holes.

• HardHabits says:

Pacioretty-D.D.-Cole
      Parenteau/Bourque-Pleks-Gionta
      Bourque/Parenteau-Eller-Palushaj/Leblanc
      Moen-Halpern-White

PK-Gorges
      Markov-Emelin
      Jurcina-Kaberle/Diaz

• chelseafan says:

Halpern… maybe we need someone who packs a better punch; I think Therrien may feel the same. Respect to Jeff, though. Like Jurcina. Parenteau if Nash is definitely out of the question. Trade Pleks, a few D and a pick or two… and pray!

• ProHabs says:

That looks like the sequel to the Tank lineup HH. Where’s the grit.

• AH says:

Remember that old lady on the Wendy’s commercials; “Where’s the beef?”..good motto for the Habs: Where’s the grit?

Hopefully MB has an answer for this upcoming season.

• Malreg says:

Parenteau is a career right-winger though.

Some guys can switch over very easily, others not so much. Look at the disastrous experiment of Cole on the left-wing in Edmonton.

• HardHabits says:

NHLNUMBERS.COM listed him as a left winger. Nevermind.

How about:

Pacioretty-D.D.-Cole
          Ryan Smyth-Pleks-Gionta
          Bourque-Eller-Leblanc
          Moen-Gaustad-White

PK-Gorges
          Markov-Emelin
          Jurcina-Kaberle/Diaz

• Andy and the habs says:

all we need is a winger for pleks that we need to sign as a UFA. staubits with white and Moen after we sign him. Diaz will sign a year contract to play Kaberle. i have a feeling MB will not care so much how we do this year, but will rather worry about youth movement that will eventually fill those holes. We dont need to sign expensive free agents that will cripple us long term.

• chelseafan says:

Maybe, but Gio and Cole will need to be replaced soon too- 2-3 years…

• BrianSkrudland says:

It is fun to envision what the team will look like in 3-4 years from now. Aging vets will have given way to new blood. Some nice pieces to the puzzle will be in place by then, for sure.

Unfortunately, that is a long wait. While I am not a doom-and-gloomer, I don’t see much to get excited about in the next couple of years in terms of being a credible threat in the East.

• Andy and the habs says:

that too needs to be addressed perhabs. signing decent players off of UFA just makes them more expensive than they should be though, thats why they test the market. getting cole paid dividends last year but this will not always happen. let other teams sign expensive players like the one Calgary just made and we will be happy campers in 2 years as our young, talented (by the looks of it), and not as expensive roster compete.

• SlovakHab says:

The question marks are Parise, Gaustad and Suter. Insert them and we are ready for 2012-13 season. Piece of cake!

16. H.Upmann says:

I’d like to be surprised and see a resurgent Gomez, but get the feeling the team under MB is heading in a new direction and going with their youth movement.

• Mike D says:

If Molson is willing to bite the bullet on the money, I imagine MB would love nothing more than to make a clear statement that the new regime for the Montreal Canadiens means business when it comes to improving the team.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• nunacanadien says:

If MB is not a puppet of the Committee To Ruin the Habs, he would buy out Gomez if he doesn’t want to insult him with the move to the minors should Gomez repeat his invisible act of just shoving the puck away so he won’t get hit. Since when have we ever seen Gomez within 6 feet of the net? Never……heck I think Price was closer to the opposition net than Gomez…..two underachieving overpaid prima donna’s, one who has talent the other is washed up. Price at least has time to fix his lack of confidence, where Gomez is just a lazy #(*#$*$&(*

17. Chuck says:

Another reason why Gomez will be on this years’ squad: any amnesty buyout clause (if there is one) won’t take effect until until a new CBA is reached. And that won’t happen until after free agency.

So fine, if and when you can buy out his contract, what are you going to do with his money? Any players worth their weight in salt will have already been scooped up…

___________________________________________________

• chelseafan says:

There is NO CHANCE Gomez will be on the roster at the start of the season.

• ProHabs says:

He better not be on the roster to start the season. That lazy bozo has a bigger spare tire around his waist then Terrien does.

• commandant says:

You can go up to 10% over the cap in the summer.

So you can spend above the Cap on July 1st with the plan that you are either putting Gomez in the minors (as a worst case scenario) or amnesty clausing him (if available) in September.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
          Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• boing007 says:

That’s for the coach and management to decide. If he puts out then he’ll stay. If not, hasta la vista, baby!

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• habitual says:

Brace yourself chelseafan, there is nowhere other than the minors for Gomez this year, and — assuming the season starts as scheduled — it would be too early to send him down.

• Rozz says:

i dunno, I really hope not .. but what is every ones feeling on this? can we do a poll?

where do you believe Gomez will be foe next season:
        A: the Canadiens
        B: the Bulldogs
        C: Bought out
        D: Europe

Mark Twain.

• chelseafan says:

D: Europe

• Rozz says:

touché

Mark Twain.

• Mike D says:

I think he will be bought out if there is an amnesty clause. If not, I could see him in Hamilton unless a Huet-type deal can be reached with a foreign club/league. There is a chance he can traded and that would obviously be the preferred option for the Habs, but not sure any teams would take him (although there are cap-advantages given his cap hit is higher than his salary)

Of course this is ultimately Geoff Molson’s decision as anything short of a trade is going to be expensive for him. Not only will he have to pay Gomez, but he’ll also have to pay the player who replaces him.

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• Rozz says:

Ya weighing all factors in, it seems like a businessman thinking of money would either just keep him on the roster or buy him out. but if Molson is as committed as he says to doing what ever it takes to make a winning franchise again then I think he will be sent to Hamilton.. I guess time will tell.. at this point I can only assume what my gut tells me.. and I feel its Hamilton.. not a really strong feeling though lol

Mark Twain.

• Muckbringer says:

i cant fathome what gomez salary would mean to me. the molsons could though, im sure. they seam intent on building a winner. that being said, i would put up with another year of scott friggn gomez for one more playoff run.

• Muckbringer says:

source?

• Mike D says:

One thing to keep in mind Chuck:

We wouldn’t be replacing Gomez with another 7mil Center. Maybe a top-6 winger, or perhaps a bottom-6 forward who brings a combo of toughness, PKing, faceoff wins, or things of that nature.

I would assume that MB and co. have a plan as well as contingency plans that will depend on how the new CBA shakes out. Again, a lot of this depends on whether Mr. Molson approves of paying all that money to Gomer in order to improve the team. It’s his dime, so ultimately his decision.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• boing007 says:

When was the last time Mr. Molson bought the rounds for all the fans watching a Habs home game? Mr. Molson doesn’t buy all the beer, hot dogs and merchandise, you do. So it’s just as much your dime as his.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

18. ProHabs says:

Jacques Martin must be aside himself over this decision on Darche.

• Muckbringer says:

sure he is banging down many a brick wall with that protected cranium

• ProHabs says:

I picture him sitting at a bar right now (like Cheers), downing beers and throwing the empty bottles at the wall while cursing under his breath.

• what-ever says:

I think you should look at the team that’s won 24 cups and you’ll get what I mean – from the best in the NHL they were like the Yankees is to Baseball to almost the worst….. not the same desire and pride to wear the CH all about money. if I was good enough I’d play a year for the CANADIENS for nothing…..Just to be able to say I was a Montreal Canadien.

• ProHabs says:

Come on. After 1 game, you would probably sit out or sign with the KHL.

• Rozz says:

I definitely wouldn’t play for free.. but for room/board/travel I definitely would (hey that stuff gets really really expensive.. you see how much they go on the road?) … but then again Im no where near good enough so its a moot point

Mark Twain.

• ProHabs says:

Don’t sell yourself short Rozz. If someone as bad as Brisebois can play over 1000 games, I am sure you are good enough to play at least 1.

• Rozz says:

awe.. you just made my night.. That’s it when is the next open try out for the Habs?!?!

Mark Twain.

19. BrianSkrudland says:

The Flames just signed Dennis Wideman to a five-year, $26.25 million deal. That seems excessive.

20. what-ever says:

They let one guy go and house cleaning has begun – except for moen if I had my way the bottom six would have been gone – time to start fresh and keep rebuilding until we get the real Montreal Canadiens back – right now we are the laughing stock of Canada along with the Leafs – time to bring the pride back and make other teams when they come to the Bell-Center show respect instead of trying to break Guys necks and it’s funny to them…..

21. aj says:

@ commandant:

“I don’t think many Stanley Cup contenders are lined up to sign Darche.” – The question is, who is that Stanley Cup contending team for this season? Its a ‘needle in a haystack’ question. But who knows where Darche might end up. He might just end up lucky.

I think the best option/s (if available) for him to go will be either NYR or TBL. Can’t say if they really are the best contenders for the cup. We’ll see…..

• aj says:

Just to add:

I dont get it! If Darche is not coming back here, then why is his name still a part of the NHLPA Negotiating Committee with a Tag member of the Montreal Canadiens. Shouldn’t he be sitting there instead as a ‘UFA brand’ than a guy who’s a member of a team? Better, shouldn’t he just not get involved?

22. Stormin says:

Honestly i know i am a better goal scorer than Darche,, but he is a great team guy, and you do need guys like that, so other team mates see, how to play with Canadian heart,, Thank You MD for your commitment to the team and the CH crest in general

23. kmachabs27 says:

thank god this useless plug is gone, no one will sign this guy, he was only on the team because he was french, he cant even skate, see yaa darchheee, lets goooo Bergevinnnnn, cant wait for freee agent frenzy….much love from southern ontario (niagara falls).

• The Gonk says:

Dumbest post I’ve read in awhile. Darche played hard and with class.

• Muckbringer says:

it was harch but really, darche sucked pretty bad. management is making some pretty good calls through my eyes

• The Gonk says:

I agree with the decision, but calling him a French loser is despicable. I found Darche to be a intelligent man and of perseverance irrespective of his so-called limitations. He played with honor. Don’t be surprised if he’s management one day.

• Muckbringer says:

no further comment: i never met him

• Muckbringer says:

he never really called him a loser. french, well, thats fact. and i would be more surprised to see carbs in management again.

• HabsTrueBlue says:

Who called him a “French loser”? Show me who did that so we can out the bigot!

• Rozz says:

yes it was harsh .. Darche is definitely one of the few that gave it everything but as it was stated below .. he’s not going to bring us to our next cup.. wish he would, but let’s face it. (I’m also from Niagara falls originally.. represent! lol)

Mark Twain.

• Adidess says:

You can choose to disagree as vehemently as you want on behalf of Darche despite its 12 pt tally for the year – talk about his intangibles, his above-average intelligence, his role in the community. But ‘dumb’? Why go there?

——————————————–
        A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

• The Gonk says:

Calling someone a useless plug because he is from QC is dumb. On the future, yes I agree he should go and I like the direction of management in this regard; but on the merits of his play and ability he does not deserve to be categorized as useless. If want useless there is always Kaberle. Darche gave it all and that does deserves respect.

• Adidess says:

What he said is bad, but you may be exaggerating it even more. I wouldn’t use the word useless to describe anybody (on second thought, Gomez might challenge my resolve), and he did throw Quebec in the same sentence, which isn’t right (man! not easy to defend you kmachabs27), but he did not exactly say Darche is useless because he’s from Quebec. Ok Kmachabs didn’t help himself, but I hate seeing posters call each other idiots or dumb based on silly disagreements. Not cool!

• Muckbringer says:

respect NIgfalls, Brampton all in!

• habstrinifan says:

A young man through hard work and class made sure he got a great education while successfully pursuing his dream to play hockey. He was not the most talented but he made it. It is not his fault that JM used him too much.

I think you owe Darche an apology.

24. Adidess says:

Somebody said ‘it’s sad to see Darche go’, how sad is it really? Darche made $700K last year and is poised to make a good living going forward as a hockey analyst or a Commerce grad from McGill.

He didn’t help the team much last year (though he gave it his all) and is turning 36 this Fall. I am a sentimental type too, but come on. It was time.

25. Rozz says:

I for one am thoroughly shocked by this… not necessarily happy or disappointed though. Darche seems like a hell of a guy, but is there someone somewhere that’s better to take his place at this point… probably. Trust me, I am in no way trying to say that he sucks or what not, just pointing out a realization that we did finish last. While most of us can agree that this season was more of a one off kinda thing, I’m sure we can also agree that our team is not perfect either.
    For us to truly improve towards the point where we start adding more banners to the rafters, we as the fans are going to have to deal with losing some players. We will likely even lose players we might have sentimental attachments towards.
    We may not be happy about it, or really understand why these choices are made… but so far Marc Bergevin has done nothing to shake my faith in him (ok the MT hire shook me a lil’ bit .. ok, ok it was a lot bit lol) so I’m gonna try to stay optimistic about him and this new direction of ours… BUT SO HELP ME GOD IF IT DOESN’T WORK!!! … Just kidding.
    I just hope that MB doesn’t touch the core that I love and uses it to make one hell of Canadiens team to be reckoned with!
    Well any who, those are my thought on the subject.

Mark Twain.

26. Muckbringer says:

look, when youre given the benefit of the doubt for a full year and still are daubed “darshbag” its all over.
    no confidence, play after play.

kinda reminds me of someone..

love it!!!!

27. rnbws.ncronwrcr says:

CBA is baaaaaaaaaaaaawwrrinnggg
    Zz_Zz . o O ( )’!

28. chelseafan says:

Darche will probably end up in Tampa.

29. Lafleurguy says:

Mathieu Darche is respected by many of us but unfortunately in my opinion, not all. He is at an age when skills diminish, and a Vaya con Dios to him. Goodbye Mathieu, Spacek, and Gill; we all travel over that hill.

“May you live in interesting times.”

30. DMAN says:

Anyone know if Semin is going to command alot of money as a UFA?My guess is he will bolt for KHL.

31. Adidess says:

I just heard Renaud Lavoie and Bergie (Michel) on RDS arguing it’s a surprise the team opted not to keep Darche – ‘he’s been a great ambassador for the team’.

Really!? Now we need an ambassador in the line-up? Keeping Darche would have been a much tougher decision than dropping him.

Again, the Habs finish last in the conference. Why does it make sense to keep our nice 5-goal scorer around? I’ll go out on a limb and say Darche will not prove to be the missing piece to us being a playoff contender next year…

32. mrhabby says:

MB is just doing his job. Looking to upgrade his team anywhere possible. Iam sure darche knows this,it’s just the way it is. Keep the changes coming.

33. rogieshan says:

The fact that Bergevin let Blunden, Envquist & Nokkelainen walk should have been a clue that the new GM is not going to waste any more of Molson’s money to invest in a bunch of grinding, fringe players with no discernible upside, even as an insurance policy.

I, for one, applaud this new direction.

34. Mark C says:

Awesome: Dalton Thrower‏@thrower47:
    First dinner with the boys . @AGally94 @timbozon94 @collberg49

35. rogus says:

The headline should have read: “Darche has played his last game in an NHL jersey”

Seriously. The guy has heart, but that’s it. No hands, little grit, zero skill or speed. If the pro franco MB team didn’t see fit to hire him based on name alone, I fear he’s done in the bigs.

Hopefully Bergie’s got something up his sleeve, cuz there are a few holes on this roster at the moment. Not that I’m pining for Darche, far from it, but I hope MB and crew have some solid plans in place.

And while you’re all thinking I’m an A-hole for dissing Darche…if he wanted IT bad enough, he would of accepted the 2 way. Just goes to show, the new regime isn’t accepting past players based on name alone. I think we’ll see a much better team this year based on what I’ve seen so far.

• 24 Cups says:

What have we seen so far? In terms of the roster for 2012-13 I haven’t seen anything yet.

I just love how people crap all over Darche as if he was the reason we finished last.

How about:
      Markov not playing for the first 60 games
      Gionta missing half the season
      PG not bothering to sign a 4th line centre
      Starting three rookies on the D
      Cammy turning into Grand Funk Railroad
      Gomez mailing it in (when not hurt)
      A pathetic PP, an inability of top players to produce in the 3rd period
      AK46 finally shipped out of town after burning all his bridges
      Pleks having to play with a revolving door of wannabes
      A coach with no imagination
      Replaced by another coach who was in over his head

That’s ten main reasons before I would even think of mentioning a loyal foot soldier like Darche.

• Cal says:

C’mon, Nokia wasn’t Betts, but he is a 4th liner for sure. ;)

Many complaints about lack of scoring. Habs scored 4 less than the season previous. Those 3 rookie Dmen sure as hell contributed to the 28th place finish.

• D Mex says:

Whatever you may think of the comments posted about Mathieu Darche, NObody has come even remotely close to pinning the 15th place finish on him. Maybe you should scan a broader sample of posts here containing his name.
        If anything, there is (over) enthusiasm for what appear to be the signs of a new management philosophy.

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• 24 Cups says:

D Mex – My post is based on a sampling of many months on HI/O. Let’s get real here, Darche is strictly a fringe player. I realize that. He works hard, shows versatility and leads by example. I just get a bit ticked when people (not the original poster) blame Darche for some of our woes. It kind of reminds me of the Carbo years and TTB. Another guy who played his ass of while players like Tanguay and Kovalev floated. When it came to heart and effort, Darche was always top ten every game he played here.

As for the new management team I am certainly fully on board. Lots of good omens and front office hires. Having said that, it’s way too early to start getting over hyped. We’ll have a better idea of how things are in another 13 months. Front office hires are one thing, but the real test will come when it’s time for Bergevin to start making some personnel moves directly related to the ice.

I guess I’ve always had a soft spot for Darche which may come through in my comments. I still think holding Darche responsible in any major way for Montreal’s epic failure this year is unfair. I stand by that assertion. As for next season, I guess we’ll have to wait and see just who the Habs put on the ice for the 12th, 13th and 14th forward roster spots.

• D Mex says:

Fair enough.
            I tend to listen more than talk here so, like you, have a feel for the theme tendencies of some posters – this is why I got the sense of frustration from your earlier comments which, by the way, is well understood.
            This said, most reasonable fans who have watched Darche in Montréal would be hard pressed to fault with his work ethic in a Habs jersey, and I suspect you would agree that many posters here would fall into or close to that category.
            It seems to have been a day for frustrations here, which is OK : not my place to monitor inputs but I thought you might take my comments above for what they are worth.
            Since we’re here, and I gather you’re from the Park, wondering if McDonald Cartier Memorial HS 1970-ish rings a bell (?)

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• 24 Cups says:

Born and raised in laff land.

My only source of hockey news was the Toronto Star until I discovered The Gazette.

Being a Hab fan outside of Quebec sure is a lot easier now that we have the internet.

Nice chatting with you!

• D Mex says:

And you.

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• Lizardking89 says:

Not crapping on Darche but he’s very replaceable and even easier to upgrade

• boing007 says:

‘A coach with no imagination’ … who put Darche on the powerplay instead of Cole. The Habs should have kept Metropolit. His contribution to the team was way more valuable than Darche’s.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

36. wall2bay says:

Can’t believe the amount of coverage this Darche thing is getting on the French sites. It’s as if they’ve let go the future of the franchise!

Somebody has to replace Therrien on AC.

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

• Cal says:

The funny thing is that every time a French Canadian player does a few tv ads, he is always let go. Lapierre did a few- traded away. Darche does a few- gone. Conspiracy theorists, party on.

37. PONCH says:

it’s a great day. he’s 35 for God’s sake. Let’s move on. He’ll be on L’Antichambre and nobody will care.

He’s a nice guy but what the hay, so is Gomez. Nice guys win you squat.

Mb offered, he said no, the talking heads have nothing to complain about.

Yeah right, as if Tampa Bay will take him

I remember lemaire to lafleur who beats Cheevers far side. What a moment in time. and cherry’s face to boot

38. like a boss says:

getting word that Doan’s top two choices are Vancouver and Montreal. I think we’d have to pay way to much for him, but still i dont want to pass him up.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

why the fvk would a 35 year old in desperate need for a cup come here??

• like a boss says:

because we are the montreal canadiens…nuff said. i know that our seasons lately have been rough, but our goaltending is set, our D-core is solid and Doan could be a huge factor in our offence.

• rogieshan says:

Because he and Carey Price, who happens to be his second cousin, are very close.

• Malreg says:

Agreed… I know it’s a very slim chance, but a player like Doan is exactly what we need. I’d overpay to have him here.

Now, what does overpay entail? Who knows, he will be highly sought after… I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get $5.5 million/year for 4-5 years.

• 24 Cups says:

There is no way in hell I’m paying that for a guy on a +35 contract. Doan could be totally done three years from now and then we’re still on the hook.

I can’t believe he won’t sign with a team who has a chance to win the Cup in the next three years.

• Lizardking89 says:

Personally I’d rather have Doan over say Jagr he’s a leader, he’s physical and he’s scored at least 20 goals 11 out of the 14 seasons he’s played. He’s listed as a RW but he can play LW as well. A huge upgrade to Tits. I’d sign him to a 2 year deal no more than that though.

39. The Jackal says:

This is off topic, but related to HIO and meant for commandant
    commandant – are you sure you site is clean? I visited it the other day, and ever since then, I have been logging in here as you some times… weird!
    Is it just HIO, is anyone else being logged in as other people?
    I only get commandant, and it happened after I visited your site :S

40. PONCH says:

41. Boomer says:

Adios Darche, we’ll still see him around it think with RDS or maybe even with the organization (hamilton perhaps?). He might even still have a year left in him, who knows?

42. jedimyrmidon says:

Anyone going to attend part of the development camp? Would be nice to have a poster’s firsthand account.

43. frontenac1 says:

Ha! Good one Tom re/Asham! And don’t forget he teach the kids the value of a good Sucker Punch.

44. aj says:

I’m feeling that part of the reason or maybe the biggest reason why Darche did not signed here was not exactly the 2-way 1yr deal, I feel that he refused the deal b/c of him wanting to be on a better team. Its easy for him to say he wasn’t satisfied on the offer. But him being 35, I can see him wanting to get to a team that will give him chances in winning a Stanley Cup (possibly him going back to Tampa Bay).

You can see it in his face that he loves playing here. But the last 3 years of the circus ride he went through here and the way the dynamics of this team is going right now made him decide to take another route IMO. I could be wrong though, its just a hunch…..

• rnbws.ncronwrcr says:

More likely it is the 2-way deal.
      He won’t be playing much longer in the NHL.
      Needs to make some cash!

• L Elle says:

I don’t think any of the players believe our team to be a bottom team. He probably could make more money as an analyst than playing in the AHL. Why regress? He’s not a wide-eyed kid trying to make the NHL.

He’ll wait for another offer. I would not be surprised at all if another team signed him. (Tampa?)

This means Bergevin & Co. have a plan that doesn’t include Darche.
      Hopefully a younger more skilled Darche. I’ll miss him though.

45. Dansolo says:

I wish all the guys on the team would play with as much heart as this guy did. Good luck to him.

46. Bozo McBozo says:

With the Gomer poised to make the mother of all comebacks, Darche became expendable.

47. alwayssunny says:

Wow, first Engqvist, now Darche. Could be in for another long season.

48. Bozo McBozo says:

I would have thought Bergevin would have been more patient with Darche given his age.

49. adamkennelly says:

Who cares? unless your team sucks he should not be on it.

• TomNickle says:

Hey Adam – you apparently are the only person around here with valid thoughts or opinions – good news tho – you make that perfectly clear to the rest of us – thanks for that.

50. Dickie9 says:

Best headline on this Site in 2 years…good team guy but absolutely useless to the team.

51. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Thank you Mathieu Darche for your dedication and hard work, he was a honest player, and will be missed.

I would like it if he was offered a job as a scout or player development guy, but, ces’t levis

Any ideas for his replacement?

I propose Aaron Asham

• TomNickle says:

Excellent choice.

When he’s done his career he could be an early childhood educator. He knows how to signal to children that it’s bedtime.

52. JUST ME says:

Sad to see Darche go cause he was all heart and all effort. Many times he gave his team mates the road to follow.
    So correct me if i`m wrong but both players representing the Habs for the CBA are nor really Habs no more ?

The more i see it the more it is obvious that Bergevin had a precise idea of what he wanted as a team from day one. So all the scenarios being built by experts and amateurs can be thrown to the garbage. Funny and weird feeling at the same time cause this is exactly what i wanted ,changes and someone with a solid grip on the team.

• TomNickle says:

What changes did you want?

• Lizardking89 says:

I have a feeling that it will take a while to work this new CBA out The players have Fehr now and won’t make as many concessions as they did last time. This might be a dumb question but why don’t they try to work out the new CBA sooner rather than wait 3 months before it expires and risk a strike or lockout?

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

@JUST ME
      I believe the players are representing the NHLPA at the CBA and not their individual organizations. The owners get to look after the team’s best, ahem, intere$t.

_______________________________
      Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• habstrinifan says:

“So all the scenarios being built by experts and amateurs can be thrown to the garbage.”

OK!

“Funny and weird feeling at the same time cause this is exactly what i wanted ,changes and someone with a solid grip on the team.

I am now expecting more surprises , a few new players maybe a youngster or two ,maybe Big Bird ?”

Wait a minute. The ‘scenarios’ you would have found on HIO on any day in the past month or more are exactly what you just described above.

So you arent uniquely smart!

I think the Habs should target Parenteau, Halpern and Jurcina.

54. aj says:

If Darche is not coming back as a player with the Habs, at least, he should be encouraged to stay here. If Bergevin could kindly give this guy an office job at the offices of this team that would be great.

Who knows, this guy would become either be working at pro scouting to hockey operations to one day becoming a GM.

Good Luck to whatever Darche’s road will he travel. Merci Matthieu!

55. frontenac1 says:

Hey, Darche is a stand up guy,with a commerce degree .I saw him doing colour commentary on RDS during the Stanley Cup and he was articulate and thoughtful.He will be fine. But really ,his time was up.Good Luck Matt!

• Marc10 says:

He’s a smart guy. He was also one of our better players in the playoffs against Boston. But yeah, he’s getting older and the team needs some tougher pluggers for the 4th line and more scoring punch which we’ll hopefully find on the market.

Good luck Mathieu and thanks.

56. durocher says:

I respect Darche, his work ethic, smarts, and dedication to the Habs, though his productivity was limited and he only showed brief glimpses of effectiveness offensively or physically.

A two-way contract is fair, and what I was hoping the Habs would offer Darche. I wish him luck!

White and Staubitz would be great for the fourth line. Add a free agent signing (e.g., Bernier?) or even Dumont (who impressed during his brief stint), and I think the fourth line will be great.

• TomNickle says:

Going from $700,000 to $35,000 is fair?

• aj says:

As someone has eluded me earlier that unless Gomez and Kaberle be traded or sent elsewhere, we shouldn’t be talking about signing UFA’s.

Honestly, I’m getting irritated by people talking about Staubitz to be signed! As much as I don’t like him being back in this lineup, i’ll borrow that line: Let’s not talk signings unless Kaberle and Gomez get loose!!!

57. Captain aHab says:

OMGZ Darche NOT signed?? Bertrand Raytard and the rest of the AC shortbus crew will have an absolute conniption…..this may be where the MB loveboat runs aground…that and not qualifying Olivier Fortier.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

58. zaq007 says:

What do you guys think of getting Hudler to play with Pleky? Just a thought

59. Phil C says:

I am optimistic about the CBA negotiations because there is not a divisive issue like a salary cap on the table. The structure of the CBA will remain in tact, they are simply fine tuning the agreement.

As well, both sides have done fairly well under the existing system, so neither side is desperate enough to use brinkmanship tactics.

No doubt there will be some difficult and contentious issues that will result in a lot of hand-wringing, hair-pulling, shouting, name-calling, and late nights. But I see nothing that’s worth losing a season for like last time. As well, they can continue beyond 15 Sep on the existing agreement while they hammer out the last few issues as long as both sides agree, taking away any artificial deadline.

The fact that players are being signed and free agency seems to be going normally so far means that the owners are giving management the green light for business as usual. If the owners had planned big changes, I think you would not see deals like the Wideman deal. These guys didn’t get rich by going into a negotiation without a plan.

• HardHabits says:

Totally. I have other reasons not to lose sleep over these negotiations foremost among them my honey badger attitude. All posturing aside, your point about there not being something as contentious as the salary cap to preoccupy the discussion and potentially prolong it to a point of there being lost games is a very astute observation.

Excellent post!

• TomNickle says:

If they decided not to play hockey, we’ll bitch and moan until they do.

And when they do, we’ll watch.

• Carta-Hab says:

Pretty much. As much as the non-hockey business (labor disputes, ownership problems, etc) causes fans headaches and in some cases for them to be completely turned off from the NHL, the love of the game will always bring even the moderately interested fan back.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• TomNickle says:

I was off of hockey for six weeks when Chara wasn’t suspended. If that can’t drive me away nothing will.

I purposely missed the first playoff game between the Habs and Bruins. When I saw they won, it was over.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I found the playoffs very hard to watch last year, just knowing what Chara had gotten away with. And that trend continued throughout with the over-the-top goonery from the Bruins getting in the way and the lack of any disciplinarian action whatsoever.

Seeing how LA won just showed the difference between the two SC Finals.

60. jols101 says:

Anyone think the Wideman signing means the end of Bouwmeester in Calgary. They are now both grossly overpaid, I think it will be just a matter of time before Bouwmeester is traded…

61. HabFab says:

JT’s latest on the Hockey Hall of Fame. I didn’t know that Paul Henderson was dying, damn shame!

• Chris says:

Having visited the Hockey Hall of Fame a couple of times, there is no lack of coverage of Henderson’s famous goal. In effect, Henderson’s goal is already in the Hall of Fame.

As a player, Paul Henderson simply isn’t particularly deserving of Hall of Fame status. His career statistics are extraordinarily ordinary (707 GP, 236 G, 477 PTS plus 11 goals and 25 points in 56 career playoff games).

Pat Burns is a tougher case. He won the Adams Trophy three times, but I simply don’t know where you rank the guy amongst the best coaches since 1980.

It is tough to be objective, but where does Burns fit amongst:

Ron Wilson
      Jacques Martin
      Marc Crawford
      Mike Keenan
      Darryl Sutter
      Brent Sutter
      Ken Hitchcock
      Pat Quinn
      Jacques Demers
      Mike Babcock
      Barry Trotz

Consider the period from 1970-1990. From that 20 year period, the following coaches have made it into the Hockey Hall of Fame:

Scotty Bowman (9 Stanley Cups)
      Al Arbour (4 Stanley Cups)
      Herb Brooks (American hockey pioneer)
      Roger Neilson (Innovative coach, whether it was video coaching, expanding the use of “advanced statistics” or just abusing the spirit of the rules of hockey, causing many to be re-written)
      Brian Kilrea (Winningest coach in CHL history)
      Glen Sather (4 Stanley Cups as a coach, successful GM, coached Team Canada)
      Bob Johnson (Builder of American hockey, successful NHL and NCAA coach)

That’s it. Over 20 years, 7 guys were selected, one of whom never served as a head coach in the NHL and two (three if you don’t think Johnson’s NHL exploits were sufficient on their own) others were largely inducted for their contributions to the sport of hockey as opposed to their coaching success in the NHL.

The coaching market is probably the most select group in the Hall of Fame.

Maybe 3 or 4 guys will get in out of the group of coaches from 1990-2010. Jacques Lemaire, if he weren’t in already as a player, would be a shoo-in. After that, you could really grab at any of the guys in the list above.

And we could probably also add Viktor Tikhonov to that list, despite no NHL experience. His players hated his guts, but he was one heck of a coach. Red Berenson, currently coaching for the 28th year in Michigan, will undoubtedly be inducted as a legendary NCAA coach.

• HabFab says:

I don’t have an issue with Henderson not being in, just surprised at his health. Burns does deserve consideration but so do some others like Iron Mike.

Nice edit ;)

• SensFanSpezza says:

Really? You’re going to deny Paul Henderson’s contribution to the game of hockey, particularly Canadian hockey? I know you like to be the devil’s advocate a lot, but in this case you’re the devil’s ass.

• TomNickle says:

One goal does not a hall of famer make.

• HabFab says:

Wow!! Everyone is cranky these days.

• Bozo McBozo says:

What did Mats Sundin ever win?

• TomNickle says:

No less than Paul Henderson.

• boing007 says:

Remerciements à Maurice Chevalier: ‘Ah, I remember it well’.
            The following day, a sports journalist at the Montreal Star (I had home delivery in those days) wrote that the Canadian team’s victory over the Soviet Union’s team proved that the Canadian Way was undeniably superior to that of the Soviet Union.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Chris says:

I’m not denying Paul Henderson’s contribution to the game of hockey, particularly Canadian hockey. I think that that goal deserves the heavy prominence that it receives in the Hall of Fame.

But based on his career achievements, one goal does not warrant an individual’s inclusion in the Hockey Hall of Fame as a player. If it did, we should be looking at all the watershed famous goals in hockey history:

Bill Barilko’s Stanley Cup winning goal and the subsequent drama around his untimely passing has made that goal legendary in the sport. Should Barilko be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame too?

Dave Ritchie scored the first goal in NHL history. That is a significant watershed moment, so perhaps he deserves induction into the NHL as well.

Henderson’s goal is probably one of the top 2 moments in hockey history from my perspective, together with the Richard Riots.

If people want to vote Paul Henderson in as a builder, then sure. Because it can only be in the builder’s category that a mediocre career with one transcendent moment could be justifiably honoured. And you could certainly make a strong argument in that case.

• neumann103 says:

Mike Keenan
        Pat Burns
        Mike Babcock
        Ken Hitchcock
        maybe pick-a-Sutter

deserve consideration. The rest? Not so much.

But my main argument would be that there maybe should be a category for Coaches/Managers, not have them lumped in with others in the “Builders” category. I mean, Referees and Linesmen get a category.

Either that or have a moratorium on inducting former-part-owners-of-the-Calgary-Flames type legends of the sport until such a time as Pat Burns and every last actual hockey person meriting consideration is inducted.

“Et le but!”

62. HabFab says:

With Gill and Darche gone, who will keep PK in line? Sounds like a song may be there…JB!!

RickMoffat on twitter – Gonna miss Darche’s non-too-subtle teasing PK in Habs room. Guess his days numbered when he lost PP time to that Cole guy.

• Habfan10912 says:

Surprised to see Kristo st #4. Hasn’t been getting a lot of love here. The times I’ve seen him play he looks very quick and has a non stop motor. Maybe it was that frost bite episode. I think he’s got NHL potential.

———————————–

Interesting that out of the 30 players only three are stars. Most of the other guys are just solid and/or run of the mill types.

A bit off topic but I keep hearing about Steve Ott coming to Montreal. Three quick points. Ott is not a 4th line player. He usually gets 3rd or even 2nd line minutes. He has two years left on his contract at 3M a season.

If he comes to Montreal it would mean that a centre would be getting dumped. DD is going nowhere and Eller is certainly a lock for a few years. Paging Pleks which would be addition by subtraction.

The Habs would be trading for a solid player who is in his prime and has two years left on his contract. That’s going to cost them a real asset, not some guy like Weber or Diaz.

64. jols101 says:

Not sure if already posted but Wideman just signed with the Flames for 5 years 26 million…crazy stuff…what is Subban worth?

Man, who’s going to center the first PP wave now?

66. H.Upmann says:

It’s probably the two-way thing that Darche didn’t like. My guess is that he plays in Europe next year..

67. Un Canadien errant says:

In the interest of keeping our HIO family together and on speaking terms, let’s all refer to this flowchart for arguing on the internet, which is linked below. It’s been posted here a couple of times before I think, but I guess it’s time for everyone to take a refresher.

Also, to keep the discussion from bogging down, let’s all ignore the obvious Scott Gomez troll. We don’t need to rise to his obvious bait, and keep circling the same drain.

———————————————————————–
    June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
    June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
    June 24: Travis Moen
    June 2627: Mathieu Darche
    June 26: Ryan White
    July 1: P.A. Parenteau
    July 3: Shane O’Brien
    July 5: Carey Price
    July 9: P.K. Subban

• 24 Cups says:

Ryan White needs an (x).

• Un Canadien errant says:

He wasn’t on my wish list/prediction list, I thought he was kind of a done deal, so I didn’t list him. I included him in italics for the sake of completeness, but I’m not taking credit for a gimme.

Really happy that he signed though, don’t get me wrong.

• HardHabits says:

Says the guy with the ever growing wrong list.

• wjc says:

You just lost all credibility my friend. Just because I have a different opinion that makes me “a troll”. You need to accept that you and your lynch mob are not necessarily right in this case.

My question to you is, why do you want him to fail? When his comeback happens are you going apoligize and admit you and your band of yes men were wrong.

I am not a troll, I simply have a different opinion then you and your arrogant, puppy dog followers.

Hated the coach, hated the previous General manager, didn’t like style of the previous coach, so maybe Gomez couldn’t play his system.

The problem is the money he made. Can Gomez make a comeback? Of course he can, a healthy Gionta will help. A bigger team will help, a new coach will help.

Never will figure out why people like yourself have such a high stake in him failing. I could see Leaf/Bruins fans hoping he fails, but Canadien fans……makes no sense.

wjc

• HardHabits says:

If Gomez was so awesome maybe Dallas should take him.

Let’s put it this way… the NHL train has left the Gomez station. He’s done. Kaput.

Do you even watch hockey? Gomez’ best move last season was a pirouette to avoid a check. Not to avoid getting hit. To avoid him making a check. Friggin’ pathetic.

Gomez will do fine in Hamilton or playing in Europe or hopefully in Long Island, but if he wears the CH next season it will be the draft lottery all over again. He is at best 4th on the depth chart well behind Plex, DD and Eller. His cap hit is untenable for both his lack of production and his ability to cough up the puck from behind the opponent’s net only to result in a scoring chance against the Habs.

It isn’t a question of it being a mob or a lynch crew. We are humans discussing and you are like some poor beast grunting along and rolling about in it’s own faeces, figuratively speaking of course.

68. what-ever says:

not to worried about the collective bargaining agreement. if it takes longer than october. more time to tinker with the team. which could be the case. the owners is trying to get richer not a surprise.

69. jols101 says:

Whoa, just got home, logged on, and thought the headline said “Camploi and Darche signed by Montreal”. Almost threw my timmys at the computer..

70. Hobie Hansen says:

Hilarious how some people on this site can be so out to lunch and not realize the importance of a good tough guy. Out of the 200 or so UFAs available, guess who the Canadiens have ranked #25 and #24?

#25 – Jordin Tootoo – Nashville Predators
    #24 – Zenon Konopka – Ottawa Senators

See for yourself: http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=81292#top

Any other questions?

• TomNickle says:

I don’t think anyone’s said they aren’t important Hobie. It’s a very difficult issue for me to talk about for personal reasons but I acknowledge at the very least that they are important to a team in most cases.

I feel though that if you’re going to beat down doors for a guy who can fight it may as well be a guy who can play too.

• mksness says:

the thing with dressing a so called fighter is that is often hurts you more than it helps you especially in away games where smart teams will try and match up their best lines against the weaker grinding 4th line. hurt teams on the score board is a better solution.

now if a player like chris neil were around i would be very interested.

• Greg says:

I don’t think that’s Marc Bergevin’s list Hobie. Toughness is important, but if you look at the last few Cup winners, how many have a dedicated “tough guy”? You could make the case for Thornton (Boston), but the rest are “tough guys” that can drop ‘em when necessary, but fill another role on the team. They don’t have to be goal scorers, but they need to kill penalties, take faceoffs, do something.
      The age of the Laracquian tough guy is pretty much over.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I can’t argue the point anymore. I feel like I’ve got punched in the head by Matt Carkner three times already. Love and Peace!

• wjc says:

So you think this is Bergevin’s list. He represents the Canadiens. Whats this list got to do with the Montreal Canadiens. This is just some opinion thing.

wjc

71. Propwash says:

I have a feeling all of this isn’t going to end well.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

72. nickster13 says:

What kind of a list is that? Half the guys are 4th liners, 6th defencemen

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

73. Dickie9 says:

I pray to God either ot these 2 players plays for the Habs this year…..

74. PrashadHabs says:

Darche not coming back, hopefully the spot is given to a young guy (or Moen third/fourth line).