Dandenault’s turn on the No. 1 line

Mathieu Dandenault is the latest player to get a shot on the No. 1 line with Saku Koivu and Christopher Higgins on Tuesday night. Michael Ryder moves to the third line with Kyle Chipchura and Guillaume Latendresse.

The other two lines (Kovalev-Plekanec-Kostitsyn, Streit-Lapierre-Kostopoulos) remain intact, as will the defensive pairings, meaning Josh Gorges will be a healthy scratch again.

Carey Price gets the start in nets against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey is reporting that injured goaltender Cristobal Huet practiced today and said he felt good, but he can’t return from the injured list until after tomorrow’s game.

Price is also expected to start on Thursday in Philladelphia. The earliest Huet will be back is most likely Saturday when the Leafs visit.

1. Chuck says:

“Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

2. Chuck says:

“Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

3. likehoy says:

best plan i’ve heard all season

4. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

First rational post I read today….has something to do with Chemistry.

5. sidhu says:

My hope for the lines:

6. Gilles Poisson says:

Ok Ok. People say “why does Bob put 9 defenseman on our team. But, to be fair, they only dress 8 of them at a time. Thank you.

7. Gilles Poisson says:

If Ryder is John Leclair than Dandenault can be God. Thank you.

8. Leclerc1965 says:

In a nutshell.. you want to know what is wrong other than my own posts? Belair57 spelled it out for us. Aside from all the favoritism bull****, the ironic examples he mentioned should clue us in to the extent of the problems that exist for our team. Imagine that, the most storied franchaise in sport history (sorry Yankee fans) needs this crap.

9. Hockey11 says:

Firstly let it be known that I am not a strong Carbo supporter, too emotional, too worried about the press and not enough experience.

Dandy the forward:

This player made the NHL as a forward and played forward his entire Jr career. He set a franchise record in Jr because he has speed and is a “set up” man. He does not and never will posses the Datsyukian prowess and not even the Grabovskian prowess but he is unselfish. He will commit to doing the work required so his line can produce scoring chances. This is the first time in his career that he is doing the things that got him picked in the second round and playing in the league at age 19. He is not a true defenseman and is not a great fit in the style that they D play here. He is better in a man to man down lo system.

He is on the first line because of injuries to players that are not producing points, Saku is not producing either and he lacks the size to muck anyway.

Give Mathieu a chance to use his speed and instincts to assist his linemates in scoring, I think you will be surprised. After all, does it matter who scores as long as the goal is scored?

10. RiverviewCanadien says:

I know alot of viewers have been posting the lines they would like to see. Who does everyone think should be the number 1 line right now?

my first choices are
    LW – Higgins
    C- Pleks
    RW- Kovy

anyone else have an opinion.

11. the Maritimer says:

C’mon guys, carbo is doing his best to get them the first overall pick in the amateur draft in 2008 and hopefully in 2009!

12. Fagstein says:

OK here’s my idea:

Put Huet, err Halak and Price side-by-side in the net, and leave the rest of the ice vacant.

Actually, scratch Halak. Put Huet in there and have him lie down on the goal line to seal the five-hole.

13. kevin m says:

I don’t know about you people, but, I’m of the opinion that goal scorers & defensemen do not think alike. These aspects of the game require a certain attitude or mindset, if you will.

Most great goal scorers were less that stone walls when it came to defensive play. Their best defence was puck possession. If you put them out on the ice against the other team’s top forwrds it ends up a crap shoot.

For this reason alone, I find it hard to swallow having defencemen & defensive forwards playing with playmakers & goal scorers. They don’t think the same.

I found defensive players such as Carbo & Gainey to lack that “nose for the net” all out attack mentality. They took their shot & immediately peeled off to cover defensively.
    Offensive players prefer to go in for the “kill” (cutting to the net for rebounds etc…).

Just my opinion.

14. belair57 says:

Defenceman turned forward (Dandy) is on the first line.
    Defenceman booed out of city (Brisbye) is back playing more than he should. Young defenceman (Gorges) we traded a leader for (Rivet) can’t seem to get ice time. Lines are shuffled by the minute. Lines are being continuosly shuffled. Do I need to go on?

Carbo and Jarvis were great defensive forwards who did not score many goals. How do you expect them to teach offense. They were great on PK…. wait The Habs are 27th in the league in PK duty. Oh well….

It all boils down to coaching and decisions that are being made. Sometimes great players can not be great coaches. Maybe too much favoritism going on. Players eventually figure it out and stop playing. If you don’t agree, please explain to me why they were playing better until 15 games ago and not now.

That is just my opinion. Thank-you

15. Scott in Montreal says:

Dandenault on first line? Bad bad bad. That means there are better wingers on three other lines getting shoved aside for a mediocre defenseman. I know they don’t have a pile of obvious options but surely team management can do better than that.

16. RiverviewCanadien says:

8th spot now, and still going down. I hope something works soon.

17. Jeffrey Leclerc says:

When are we going to get it through our collective heads that this system is not designed to produce offence? If you have a few hours check all the threads on this site and count the suggested line combinations we have posted. None of them work….someone help me…it is me….someone, anyone, Bueller?

18. Ibleedbleublancetrouge. says:

I’m just wondering, who hasn’t played on the first yet? We should make a list.

19. Wops says:

I agree we need scoring. Bring Lil’ Tits. Never mind if he is not perfect defensively, Guillaume was not either. It is pretty rare we have a player that is a point a game in the farm club.

S.Kostitsyn – Pleky – A.Kostitsyn
    Gui – Chipper – Dandy
    (Begin)/Streit- Lappy – Kostopoulos

or even put Big tits on the first and leave Kovy on the 2nd. We need offense
    CH is for Chris Higgins

20. Habs_008 says:

How bout Dandy and streit with the Breezer Centering? Theres a line! Im gonna call Carbo myself and tell him about it…….Put a scorer on line one PLEASE! Ohh wait, no one can score right now…Hmmmmm what to do?? Gainey please get someone who knows how to score! wait, no trades happenin now-a-days, Hmmm what to do? Put Dandy on line one! theres the answer! good call Carbo, the Jack Adams is coming your way this year!

21. Jeffrey Leclerc says:

My bad Nick, they did win that game…maybe I was wrong. Dandenault is the answer.

22. Jeffrey Leclerc says:

Nick, no offence man but do you really think that putting a converted defenceman on the first line is going to right this ship? You arbitrarily pick out one goal that was scored in some game they probably lost to justify this move. Come on man, were looking at the big picture here. Did you watch the Carolina game? God himself could have been put on the 1st line and they would have lost. By the way…. Dandenault = God???? not even close.

23. Ibleedbleublancetrouge. says:

I agree. Where’s that petition, I’d like my name on top. Or are we going to have to juggle the petition names too?

24. Jeffrey Leclerc says:

I’m with Timo, the s*** rolls down from Carbonneau. His team, his system, his lack of motivation, his problem. You could bring up Gretzky, Lemieux, Vaive, (yes I said Vaive) or anyone else. This system sucks and nobody is going to make much of a difference let alone some rookie from Hamilton.

25. HabsWatcher says:

After considerable thought and soul-searching, Bob Gainey today called the fire department to put out a fire in his office at the Bell Centre. The fire has been burning for a week.

26. Ibleedbleublancetrouge. says:

The only player playing with anything to lose on this team is Gorges… oh wait, he isn’t playing. nevermind.

27. sidhu says:

Are we trying to lose on purpose so that we can get a higher draft pick in 2008?

1) We shouldn’t have two defenseman on offense, 2) no defenseman should be on the top two lines, let alone the top line, 3) Brisebois should be in the press box, 4) call up Grabs to help us offensively — he may get knocked off the puck rather easily, but he can generate scoring chances, skates hard, and is exciting to watch.

If we get schooled by Tampa and Philly, a drastic change needs to be made.

28. nick says:

Dandenault’s has some good speed, and can be a little shifty with the puck from time to time. I think at the very least he won’t slow the first line down. On top of that, the one period they DID play together turned out not half bad. As i recall, there was a pretty sweet goal setup by O’Byrne. Which these days can’t be taken for granted by any Hab.

29. Jeffrey Leclerc says:

Excuse me while I go to the head to wash my eyes out, I thought I saw a thread about Dandenault being put on the 1st line.

30. habsnyc says:

If the farm system is so great, why are veteran defensemen on the first line? Isn’t there someone in this organization who has more first line potential than Dandenault? I’d rather they lost with youth than wasted development slots on veterans.