D, D and more D

Writing in La Presse, Mathias Brunet reports Ryan McDonagh is having a rough sophomore season at the University of Wisconsin.

Mark Osiecki, who coaches Badger defencemen, told Brunet that McDonagh is inconsistent. He is having trouble reading plays, and his reaction time needs improvement.

McDonagh is minus-6 on a weak Wisconsin team that is 1-7 to start the season.

Osiecki credits McDonagh with intelligence and natural ability. The coach would like to see him play more like Mike Komisarek: making good first passes, working on zone clearances and becoming a physical  defenceman whom opponents dislike playing against.

• In the Journal de Montréal, Marc De Foy reports that Pavel Valentenko has signed a two-year contract with Dynamo Moscow, with the KHL club holding an option on a third season.

Valentenko, who supports his family in Russia, will earn $30,000 a month plus bonuses in the KHL. Playing for Hamilton, his take-home pay was $3,000 a month.

On  a happier note, De Foy reports that Alexei Yemelin is keen on joining the Canadiens next season.

Brunet and Marc-Antoine Godin write about the Canadiens’ need for a number 4 D.

•  Bad news from Rimouski: Canadiens’ prospect Olivier Fortier has stretched knee  liganets and is out for eight weeks.

1. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

OK, if the U of W defense coach (Osiecki) thinks that Komi “makes good first passes” he needs his eyes checked. That is not the forte of Komi’s game. His greatest assets include excellent hitting/checking and blocking shots. Outlet passes are a weaker part of his game. He usually uses the boards to clear the zone.

Makes me wonder about the coach’s assessment of McDonagh…

2. cautiousoptimist says:

Lyle Odelein doesn’t seem to be up to much these days… Plus, he has an awesome name.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
    2. Josh Gorges on Montreal’s attack: “They’re comin’, they’re comin’ and they keep comin’. Just line after line, wave after wave…”

3. Vid says:

We should probably also get a defense coach while we’re at it.

4. Skotbot says:

no excuses, but being on a 1-7 team… not suprising your -6…

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable?
    Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

5. nightmare_49 says:

Badger’s ‘D’ coach Mark Oslecki should tell Ryan McDonough (D) that the Bulldogs have a spot ready for him on the blueline in Hamilton. Habs prospect Olivier Fortier (F) will be out 8 weeks with a severe knee sprain and his Team Canada Jr hopes at xmas are down the drain but he still has the Memorial Cup to look forward to in Rimouski.

6. HabsInBlood says:

“The coach would like to see him play more like Mike Komisarek: making good first passes, working on zone clearances and becoming a physical defenceman whom opponents dislike playing against”

I agree with the zone clearances and physicality, but since when has Komisarek been a good 1st passer?? His best 1st pass is when he dishes it off to Markhov, but I don’t think that counts. When he tries to move the puck (to a) forward, it’s often a forced hard pass that often turns into icing or one that the forward can’t corral. Am I the only one that notices this?

I love Komisarek just like I love my wife (well, in a different way). And just like my wife, he has a flaw … I won’t go into my wife’s, but his is bad vision and forced 1st passes into the neutral zone.

7. ProHabs says:

Lets trade him for Kaberle then.