Curtains for Canadiens?

Hick Sings New
They say it isn’t over until the hockey beat writer who could lose a few pounds sings.
Pat Hickey – who, in an earlier incarnation, sang the role of Brunhilde in a Metropolitan Opera production of Wagner’s Ring Cycle – thinks your Montreal Canadiens have had the biscuit, playoffs-wise.

Here’s Pat’s Gazette story.

• Topic for late-Wednesday discussion: Does Tuomo Ruutu’s contract extension in Carolina boost the trade value of Andrei Kostitsyn?

• Must-read: Pierre LeBrun’s excellent feature on P.K. Subban

“I’d freakin’ take him in a heartbeat,” an NHL GM, who requested anonymity, told ESPN.com this week. “No question about it. He’s a great young talent. He can do things few young defensemen can do. I don’t care about the other stuff. He’ll mature as a person and as a player. I can live with that. The Canadiens would be crazy to ever deal him.”

And 32 years ago today:

1. Yeats says:

It may be tough to catch Columbus, but the Oilers and ‘canes could easily finish ahead of the Habs with the proper roster choices. Scott Gomez has in fact become our go-to guy!!!

2. immortalhab says:

Must keep DD, Cole, Max Pac, Leblanc, Emelin, Subban, Gorges and Price. The rest can be traded for hockey tape. I like Ryan White too. Lots of effort and balls.

3. billylove says:

Current poll question needs a none of the above choice.

4. The Dude says:

I just logged in expecting Gauthier,Gainey and Gomer gone,Roy as G.M.,and a New Captain in Rick Nash….wtf?

5. montreal ace says:

With the NHL trade deadline coming up, and maybe some players going on waivers, is the position for making a claim still from last years standings. I know that as a team we have lost quite a few good players on waivers, it would be nice to pick up a few from this method.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

They use last year’s standings for the first couple of weeks of the season then they start using this years standings as of some particular day of the week, or something like that. The Oilers had the first pick until like the first of November, but Columbus would get the first crack at any player right now.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

6. Mr_MacDougall says:

Has just hopped on the Tank Wagon™

Nice view….

7. Propwash says:

The operative words are “Anyone who has watched the Canadiens play over the past week and a half,” Hickey writes, “knows there is no chance of this team advancing beyond the final game of the regular season on April 7.”

The reality is, if the Habs can play to their potential in this final stretch, they could very well wiggle into the playoff picture.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• aj says:

the next question will be: if the Habs do get that 8th spot luckily to get to the playoffs, would they have a chance in beating the Rangers? I don’t think so!

• Propwash says:

If they can get pucks past King Hendrik, why not?

_____________________________
        Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• billylove says:

Prop, here’s hoping you always hang on to your never-say-die outlook. I’m way too jaded and cynical in my old age. I wrote the boys off after the St. Louis blanking.

• Propwash says:

I am 100% willing to acknowledge that the team could be done for the season. The fact remains that they are still in it, and I am not a quitter.

If they don’t make it to the dance, oh well. Next year will roll around.

_____________________________
            Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• Bill says:

Hogwash, Propwash!

14-5-2 in their last 21 games just to make it to 90 points.

Full Breezer 4 Life

8. aj says:

I wonder how much would DD and Max P be worth when they do resign for a long-term contract next season. $3-4 Million a year?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Asumming he puts up 60-70 point seasons this year and next I assume Max Pac will get Phil Kessel/Bobby Ryan kind of money which is like $5 1/2 million/year.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

9. Mr_MacDougall says:

I think the Organization needs to avoid all UFAs in the upcoming off-season, unless it is a one-two year deal $5 mill total, maximum.

The 2013 UFA crop is amazing, having major cap space available for that off-season is imperative for any long term planning. With the potential of having a shot at Crosby, Perry, Getzlaf, and to a lesser extent, J Staal, must be considered.

Up until that summer the team cant take any salary back, as our current young talent mature, so will their salary, guys like Patch, Eller, DD, Subban, Emelin, and Price all have increasing salaries. Ad in the long term deals to Pleks, Bourque and Gorges.

The Habs have a significant amount of “bad money” on the table. $10 mill in Markov and Kaberle, another $11 mill in Gomez and Gionta.

The key is finding a way to unload Gomez, Kaberle, and Gionta without taking a dime in cap hit back by 2013 summer.

• Stev.R says:

2013 will be the year for DD and Patches raise too.

• 24 Cups says:

I seriously doubt any of those guys will be UFAs once July 1st, 2013 rolls around.

Why dump Gionta, the team’s captain? He has performed up to expectations. It’s certainly not his fault that he was hurt for most of the year. With all the young players arriving in the next few seasons, this team needs some veteran leadership to help them out.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I like Gionta, wouldn’t mind seeing him play out his contract. But, if moving him gave the potential of landing one of those young superstars, it would be worth it.

Cole, Gorges, Moen, Pleks can be leaders too…

• aj says:

Interesting. If Gio will still be the Habs captain next season, would the Habs make a headway if ever they decide to give Gorges a chance to put a C on his upper left chest next season?

Many will argue that he does deserve to be captain as well. In fact, they could at least give him that respect even though this season is in total shambles.

• montreal ace says:

Crosby and the Pens is an interesting situation, might be some hard feelings by Crosby about how they handled his injury. Crosby is looking for a nice long contract, and if I was him I would not play until I got I got one. It has been hard not having Markov so far this season, but the Habs have worked in his best interests, I hope some players notice this fact. Crosby as a Canadien, a dream come true for me.

10. aj says:

Sorry to barge in on the talk behind the misfortunes of the Habs (or the planned ‘reconstruction’ that may take place this coming summer). I want to know what’s on everyone’s take on this report by Yahoo Sports regarding to the highest paid athletes of all time:

I don’t know if everyone here agrees to the #1 highest paid player of all time according to them:

• Stev.R says:

He was worth it though.

• aj says:

Yes he was but I don’t believe that Sakic is by far the most expensive/highest paid athlete of all time.

If we could take into consideration other sports leagues aside from the NHL nor the from the big 4 here in North America, chances are, he ain’t even be up to par with it (consider $25-$30+ million per fight plus PPV earnings, that’s a Whopper!).

Formula One drivers could earn twice as much just as NBA or NHL players do. Boxers to me are THE highest paid of all time.

Now, if we switch topic and look at this: with inflation and the impending talks again by the board of Governors and the NHLPA, this issue of “salary cap” will be a borderline topic that could potentially stall another season (hopefully not like the last time).

• The Dude says:

1) G -love …4 million per goal.

• 24 Cups says:

The info on Joe Sakic is really not accurate. New York signed him to an offer sheet for 21M over three years and then front loaded the first year to 17M in an attempt to scare off Colorado. Colorado had one week to match and did so by giving Sakic a three year deal of 17-2-2M.

11. Mattyleg says:

Okay, so we’re obviously going to have to trade one of our 2nd round picks for someone to get us into the playoffs, because our team, injury-depleted and flu-weakened as it is just might not have enough to make it without some help.

I recommend picking up Dustin Penner for a second round pick (and maybe a 5th, or a young player). His big physical presence should be enough to push us over the top.

Once we’re in, it’s anyone’s game. Let’s make it happen.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. Bill says:

Glad to see Hickey mention Claude Loiselle as a GM candidate: he’s been my fave choice for awhile.

Full Breezer 4 Life

13. kmachabs27 says:

The # of people on this site that overrate AK is unbelievable, give your heads a shake, we aint getting an impact player for this bum.. Were gunna get a half ass prospect and a half ass pick, or two picks, if that. Deal with it, the guy has done **** all since hes been here, his value is lower then its ever been right now, i aint no GM or Darren Dreger, but like cmon wake up folks.

Oh yeah. Almost forgot. The Habs need to sign a real back-up goaltender. One that can play 15-20 games minimum and have a winning record. Hopefully they start drafting goalies in late rounds again.

15. Habitoba says:

Just a thought:
    Pleks is kind of a shifty player by nature, not the hard-hitting one most fans want him to be. Why not pair him with AK, a mix of mostly shifty with a bit more bite and scoring touch? Add Bourque to play a more “crash the net” game and mix it up a bit. Maybe Pleks and AK could find each other well enough to cash some in

16. HFX-HabFan says:

I’ve seen countless posts referring to this since his acquisition, but I’m honestly curious as to why so many people think Kaberle will be moved at the deadline.

What team is going to want to take on a past-his-prime, decreasing in mobility and positioning, two years left on his contract at $4.25mil/yr D-man?

Our only hope is a Vermette deal-type of return. But I would say Vermette is more useful to teams than Kaberle.

So- who thinks Gauthier would actually be able to find a taker for Kaberle? I certainly don’t.

17. naweed235 says:

somebody asked earlier what moved I would make in the offseason to improve the team… Here’s my suggestions:
    1) The obvious Gomes issue: if he is not tradable and can’t be bought with no penalty within the CBA period we send him to the minors
    2) Sign Parise for what ever it takes.
    3) Bring over Evgeni Artyukhin from the KHL. It is beyond me why this guy is playing in russia. He is a physical beast and can actually play damn good
    5) this is the hardest move but it has to be made: Trade DD (OR Pleks), Tinordi, Weber and 1st rounder to Anaheim for Getzlaf.
    6) Resign Moen
    7) sign a 4th line Center who is a face off and PK specialist… David Steckel(Not sure if available) comes to mind but there are other ones

this will be the line up:

Parise – Getzlaf – Gionta
    Cole – Plekanec/DD – Pacioretty
    Moen – Eller – Bourque
    Artyukhin – Steckel – White
    (Darche 13th forward)

Markov – Emelin
    Georges – PK
    O’brien – Colaiacovo
    (Diaz 7th D)

I think we have a good team and there is no need to blow it up. just needs some tweaking :)

• Bill says:

“5) this is the hardest move but it has to be made: Trade DD, Tinordi, Weber and 1st rounder to Anaheim for Getzlaf.”

Why even propose such a foolish trade? Obviously they can get much better for Getzlaf.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• naweed235 says:

you are joking right?
        DD (OR Pleks), Tinordi, Weber and 1st rounder to Anaheim for Getzlaf
        I think that is even somewhat over paying for him but I put it just for good measure

• Bill says:

Weber is crap. DD is mediocre/one-dimensional. Tinordi is a long-term prospect who may not make it. The 1st rounder is nice.

Now, you change DD for Pleks, and that is a much more attractive deal for Anaheim.

But yeah, the first trade proposal is a laugher.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• neumann103 says:

What Bill said.

There is a tendency of fans to overvalue their own players. No way that Anaheim thinks DD, Weber and Tinordi plus a pick are worth Getzlaf.

On the other hand Plekanec has huge value. The only circumstance I would trade him is for a huge big time player, but Pleks is the sort of player sought by most teams that could make that happen.

I still wouldn’t make that trade. Plekanec is too valuable

“Et le but!”

• Rainrocket16 says:

I like most of what you said… but way too much for Getzlaf..he aint worth DD and a first rounder let alone Tinordi.

• Stev.R says:

We couldn’t afford that, Getzlaf won’t be traded, AK46 ain’t coming back, Kaberle ain’t going no where.

• naweed235 says:

actually I noticed later that I forgot about Bourque but ya AK46 traded for a some draft picks b4 the deadline would do it for me…
        Re Getzlad, I think every player in the league has his price and I don’t mind over paying for this one guy.
        Also, I think Kaberle is more tradable than most people think. He still puts up point as a D and can definitely help a contender who is deep on stay at home defencemen but thin on backend offence. After all he was traded for a 1st and a 2nd just last year and went on to win the cup…

• Sharks9 says:

Disagree with signing 2 defensemen. We already have a lot and I’d rather we give the opportunity to someone young instead of having veterans blocking their development.

25 before 14

• Habitoba says:

Stack the trade high for getzlaf… only if they take gomez

• deuce6 says:

“4)Sign 2 solid stay at home physical defencemen ( O’Brien and Colaiacovo would be picks) ”

O’Brien fits that bill, but Coli? You have to be kidding…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Duracell3 says:

1) sure
      2) sure
      3) sure…if you are confident he can be controlled.
      4) idk whatever
      5) The Ducks would only take Pleks. it is very possible Saku goes to Europe, or another NHL team. Saku-DD combo is not what they want. Only having DD in place for next year isn’t what they want either.

Also, I watch the Ducks regularly, and tbh, Getzlaf is simply not that good. The entire second line regularly and for long stretches outplays the first. Getzlaf is almost as afraid to shoot as Gomez (which is weird given Getzlaf is actually good at it.), and you’re putting him somewhere without anyone even close to Ryan, Perry, or Selanne. He’s big and tough, and maybe that’s what we need, but that it is what Anaheim probably wants too. This would be a near impossible trade to get, let alone win in my mind.

Also, they have absolutely no need for Weber or Tinordi, although I’m sure they wouldn’t mind the later.

6) Trade him for picks. resign him in the off season or get one of the many others who do the exact same thing for the same price.

7) very much needed. We’ve had some good ones in this role, I’d like another.

this will be the line up:

• REB says:

1) Agreed
      2) Maybe – need to put a $$$ limit to this idea.
      3) Absolutely, although he is like AK, in that he disappears for stretches.
      4) No. We have plenty of prospects coming thru the pipeline, why create a logjam?
      5) No. I am a firm believer that you keep your 1st round pick (maybe swap for another 1st rounder, but keep the 1st rounder). I also think that Tinordi will be part of the answer for #4, so keep him. Yes, I would like to have Getzlaf, but not at that price.
      6) Yes.
      7) Don’t know who is available.

18. third generation haber says:

As it stands, we will draft three times in the top 60and 5 times in the top 100.

In the past 2 drafts we haven’t had a 2nd or 3rd round pick. In 2009 we also had no 2nd rounder, and 2008 we had no 1st rounder. It’s a miracle we’ve been able to draft fairly well.

Considering Timmins’ late round success, this could be a huge draft for les boys! In 2013, we also have a 1st, two 2nds, and a third.

The question is whether to trade some of these picks for success next year, or keep them for the longhaul, making our current vets (with limited windows for victory) expendable.
    j.p. murray

• HardHabits says:

I am firm believer in not trading picks unless;

a) it’s for a rental that will be resigned.

b) it’s at a point where the acquired player will immediately make an impact for a Stanley Cup contender.

My hope is the Habs just build slowly and from within. I also hope they stop the spending to the cap to merely put on the ice an 8th place team all over again.

I so hope the Vincent Damphousse becomes GM. He’d turn the franchise around and proper.

It is time to end the cronyism and nepotism that is fervent within the Habs organization. One need only look back to the 90’s to see what that brought Habs fans.

• Chris says:

So we end the cronyism and nepotism by hiring a former Habs standout player and current Habs broadcaster as the GM, a man with no management experience?

I’m failing to see how that is a marked difference from our recent past.

• HardHabits says:

Damphousse doesn’t work for Molson’s breweries or go to all the big Quebec sports galas.

I have listened to him speak, mind you on the antichambre, numerous times and he comes across as intelligent, level headed, with a vision and capable of making the right decisions.

He has my total vote of confidence.

• VancouverHab says:

Chris: would you like (in fantasy) to have Gillette back as owner? Haven’t things gone south more or less coincidental with his departure?

I agree that Damphousse would be pure cronyism. Let’s get a GM with business nous and solid GM or Assistant GM experience.

19. Rainrocket16 says:

I have a real bad feeling about this deadline upcoming..
    PREDICTIONS

1) AK leaves to a western team for a 2nd rounder and a nobody..
    2) Campoli goes to an eastern team for a 2nd or 3rd rounder and a nobody
    3) Moen, Gomez, Kaberle all remain Habs…
    4) Habs get in return..nobody big at all…and our new GM makes big moves in the offseason.

Just predictions, don’t bite my head off!

• third generation haber says:

If your predications happen (excluding Gomea and Kaberle returning) I’ll be very pleased! Kostitsyn is an overpaid UFA, we need to get what we can for him!! Campoli is not worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder, he’s been a healthy scratch on several occasions and isn’t worth resigning (6th rounder would be sufficient).

The draft picks would help us longterm and the cash we free up would help us in the free agent market.

j.p. murray

20. Kimberly2u says:

Caps lost 5-2 against Ottawa..that team is going downhill too

21. Bill says:

Wow, how about that Ruutu contract? 17 goals, 13 assists … almost five million a year for four years.

What does AK46 get in the off-season??

Full Breezer 4 Life

I agree, but, Ruutu does bring a physical and agitating style AK doesn’t. Not just number of hits but effectiveness of them. But still whacked out contract.

22. Stev.R says:

What do you guys think of Hudler?

I figure we traded Cammy to get Bourque (Kostitsyns replacement).
    Then we trade Kostitsyn for picks.
    We use money we save for signing a new top 6 scorer.

I still think the Habs can make the play-offs. If they do they’ll be the hottest team in the league. Nobody would want to face them in the 1st round. :-)

Sense the sarcasm?

It’s funny though. We are back to the square one, the debate of last summer. What was it again? I can’t go back and read my arguments because the mods have deleted them all.

Shane!! You have an archive of all my comments. Maybe you can help me out. :-)

If I am not mistaken it went something like this:

The Habs need more size and grit, especially up front.
    They need a more physically punishing defence corps.
    They need a defence man with a booming shot.
    They need a 4th line of significance; one that can crash and bang, drop’em if necessary, and be defensively responsible.

I think I also mentioned that the Habs needed to Tank™ a bit.

So here we are. Sellers. Out of it. And the bottom line is all those things I was clamouring for last summer are still true today.

Like we used to say back in the 80’s. There’s always next season!!!

• Chris says:

The Habs do not need more size and grit, especially up front. They need people who can score. With Bourque, Kostitsyn, Cole, Pacioretty and Eller, the Habs have plenty of size and speed up front. What they’re missing is a true sniper, a 40 goal man who draws attention on the power play.

The Habs don’t especially need a more physically punishing defence corps (Subban and Emelin are more than enough in that regard), they need players who don’t panic when the puck is in their zone.

The Habs do need a defenceman with a booming shot, preferably a LH shot to partner Markov if he returns. Subban should be partnered with Kaberle, if he stays, on the power play.

The Habs have a 4th line of signifigance, they just couldn’t roll it this season due to injuries. A 4th line of White-Moen-Blunden/Darche would have been perfectly adequate. Unfortunately, White’s sports hernia killed his season, while injuries to Cammalleri, Gionta and Kostitsyn required that Moen and Darche be elevated to other lines as fill-ins.

The Habs need a healthy Andrei Markov and a return to form of Tomas Plekanec.

Will they win with all that? Probably not…the odds are pretty long. But they won’t be as bad as they were in this train wreck of a season.

• Stev.R says:

Could Pacioretty be the 40 goal man we’re looking for?

Then we could go get a secondary scorer to replace Kostitsyn. Hemsky, Hudler, Jones or Doan. Or maybe make a trade with Kostitsyn for Chris Stewart like someone on the last page suggested. He’s not having the best year and may be available. He’s an RFA too.

• HardHabits says:

So you agree that they should Tank™ then. :-)

• Lafrich says:

You win. Most annoying post of the year.

24. HabsFan82 says:

when they have three games left and they need 7 points for the 8th position that’s when I’ll believe they’re done….

Ottawa is going to have to pay Karlsson a huge raise this summer, Doughty money?

26. Dr.Rex says:

The two players that Gauthier should be using AK as bait for are Chris Stewart and Jack Johnson. Both are availble for the right price and both players fit our mantra moving forward. Obviously it would take more then AK but he could be a important piece to gettting conversations started.

27. Stev.R says:

I hope when we trade Kostitsyn we get another pick for this year. We have 5 in the first 4 rounds but only 6 in total.

28. mb says:

Um okay, so either HIO and RDS are somewhat affiliated, either they coincidentally think alike these days, either they were both lacking inspiration, either one of the two got their poll “inspiration” on another poll.:

RDS.ca
    Quel ancien joueur du Canadien évoluant maintenant avec les Stars vous manque le plus?
    Mike Ribeiro
    Stéphane Robidas
    Michael Ryder
    Sheldon Souray

Seems like the results are different though. Ryder got only 5% on RDS.

And YES, I am bored.

29. shakey says:

This team was never quite good enough to compete for the playoffs since the start of the season – they had to have an awful lot of things go right, and instead a lot of things went wrong.

There is a nucleus to build around at least, but anyone who had convinced themselves we were a legitimate playoff team after the slow start and the rest of the early season debacles was kidding themselves.

Time for next year.

30. Led says:

Question for everybody. What would you like to see happen this off-season during free agency? (assuming all of the undesirables are removed from our roster)

As much as I’d like to not miss the playoffs again I really don’t want to overpay for a bunch of boat anchors again. I ‘d really like to establish a core of, mostly young, players who play hard for each other and the logo on their jersey.

So I guess I’d like to see a few moderately priced, yet solid, signings as needed to compliment our remaining core.

(Unless there’s some miracle trade that comes out of left field)

• Nothing

Go to the draft, maybe trade one of our top six for another pick and start the 2012-13 season with the players who make the team, plus Markov!

They Call Me Shane

• 24moreCups says:

Is any good defense men in the UFA market this year worth picking up?

• Led says:

Cool. Probably a smart move.

Can we scrape together enough defensemen without going to free agency?

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with Sholi2000.com below.. but for a different reason.

DO NOTHIN! or as we say around the dinner table “bilashi” !!!

Deep down I love the agony rampant in HIO when Habs are like this.

I love the posts… they are hilarious. I love the verbal fights. The sourpusses.

So give PG an extension. Give Kaberle a letter! Make Weber a part-time forward. etc etc!

What you you spoilt habs fans cant survive one more year of Leafs-like futility.

31. Duracell3 says:

I just realized Dominic Moore is Steve Moore’s brother. wtf.

32. WarHero says:

Thx the opinion Twilight :)

33. DrA says:

We used to be satisfied with making the playoffs. Now it’s we are not falling apart like the Maple Leafs. Our standards have fallen. What is worse, is this team’s standards have fallen. Have they finally hit rock bottom? The worst of it is, I doubt it. They need to admit and own their pathetic mediocrity from top to bottom. Until they do nothing will change.

• Stev.R says:

Shut up about “standards”. We had a bad season. It happens to somebody every year. We we’re plagued with injuries and had a ton of inexperienced players. That’s the biggest factor for our failure this year. Both of those will be better next year.

34. RGM says:

Say what you will about the Habs and their hard-luck season but at least they’re going down with a fight. The Capitals are truly pathetic to watch. Getting bombed 4-0 by the Sens tonight and putting absolutely no effort forward.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez, a potential Hall of Fame player, has two Stanley Cup rings and a Calder Trophy that says ‘I’m a player whom any authentic NHL coach will rely on to fix a game problem.’” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

35. WarHero says:

Hey folks … Since we all know the Habs are sellers, what do you think would be fair returns for our trade bait? Here’s my thoughts:

Kaberle: 2nd or 3rd round pick or prospect & 6th round pick

Moen: Late 1st rounder/high 2nd rounder or prospect & 3rd rounder

Darche: 3rd to 5th round pick or prospect

Campoli: 2nd rounder or prospect

Weber: 1st/2nd rounder or prospect

AK: 1st rounder & more if possible or replacement roster player, like the Cammy trade.

36. boing007 says:

How about PK for Erik Karlsson?

Richard R

• I never know when people are trying to be funny. You have to start using smiley faces when you are joking.

They Call Me Shane

• ABHabsfan says:

I wouldn’t do it. I think PK will end being better within 2-3 years. I have no basis, just a feeling about it. Karlsson is small and I think this will catch up to him. Can’t argue with the points he’s putting up though

• jedimyrmidon says:

Subban is a pretty well-balanced D man. He can take a hit, and he can deliver some really nice ones. He’s still improving defensively, but I think he will become very good in a shutdown sense. He can also contribute offensively, an aspect to his game I hope will take off once he solidifies defensively.

Karlsson is great offensively, but I’m not sure he’s got the physicality to be good at shutting down other teams’ top lines. Then again, Lidstrom isn’t exactly physical. But I still think that, on the whole, the Habs need tougher D men and Subban is one that will be quite good at everything.

37. habsperspective says:

You know the culture is bad within the Habs, when Ottawa with its arguably lesser talented team outperforms them.

This team has turned into the Toronto Maple Leafs.

It shows well on them, when players like Ribeiro, Spacek, Halak, Ryder, and Pouliot slap’em around a bit.

38. 24moreCups says:

Joonas Nattinen just scored his 5th goal in four games to get the Bulldogs back in the game, he’s playing well as of late.

Blake Geoffrion also scored one on the Power Play.

39. HABZ24 says:

habs need to lose every game and finish 26 th or lower. better to lose then win now. shot at top draft choice if we get in draft lottery

40. The Jackal says:

Y’know, we’re having a bad season, but at least we are not the Leafs. These guys are falling apart when they have to be clutch – when they need to solidify a spot. The Sens were falling apart earlier but they got it together and I think they’re solidly in the playoff spot. The Leafs however, have not been winning must-win games, and the Jets or Panthers will likely bump them out. The lack goaltending, they are too streaky, and their D is not great.
    I know we don’t have much to brag about, but a lot of the games we’ve lost were by a goal or apres regulation, which suggests that with a little more firepower and some tighter D, we would be in the thick of things… So people, at least we aren’t Leaf fans.

• mdp2011 says:

I agree, they are ripe for the picking, but I think they still make the playoffs as the east so bad, they will get in despite their crappy play. Look at Washington, they are getting hammered by Ottawa 4-0.

• ABHabsfan says:

No need to explain the rest, at least we aren’t Leaf fans. Full stop. We should all pick up the phone and call our dads or mums or uncles or aunts or whoever it was that influenced you to being Hab fans when it could have been the other way. Terrible season, no doubt. A real clusterf**k. But my team has won 7 Cups in my lifetime, the Bruins only have 6 in their entire existence. Thanks Pop. Glad I’m not a Leaf fan

41. Shane1313 says:

There are definetely a few positives to take from this season.
    We score more and we hit more. 2 good things.
    I think the biggest thing this season was;
    1. The absence of a top D-man(Markov if he ever play again)
    2. The fact that we only have one line that works( A great one at that)
    And im not sure how to fix that one! But we’ll see

42. Stev.R says:

After crunching the numbers, I came up with this as our salary cap next season:

Price 7m*,

Moen 2m*,
    Pacioretty 1.625m,
    Fourth Line Player 1.5m*,
    White 1.1m*,
    Desharnais .85m.

*estimated salary

In total that equals 63.95m. I overestimated a bit and I don’t think Kostitsyn will be back, but we aren’t in bad shape salary wise… as long as Gomez is gone. There is only 11 forwards on the list but a player like Blunden or Geoffrion or Darche will fill it nicely.

• Captain aHab says:

Price and Subban won’t be that high and neither will AK as he’ll be on another team.

—————-
      McGuire for GM!
      Roy for Coach!
      Sh*t for Brains!

• Mr. Biter says:

Nice work with the #’s but it’s the same team plus Markov (?) which probably will not make the playoffs. I think we have to up grade for at least one Enforcer and a big d-man.
      Arrgggggg I have to agree with the Captain on AK.
      “Kill the Women & Children, Save the Men”
      Gay Pirates from an old Monty Python Skit.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• Stev.R says:

Well if Kostitsyn is traded which it looks like that’s what is going to happen, that will open up 4m for a new top 6 forward. Leblanc will probably be up full time by then too.

If anyone’s expecting a huge overhaul next year then they totally mistaken. What we need are a couple small tweaks, another year of development, and *pray to god* a season without so many injuries.

We may be able to bring in a new top 6 guy, a bottom 6 guy, and a veteran depth dman. I think thats all we need, and all we’ll try to get.

• The Dude says:

If Price gets 7million per I’m going to VOMIT!

• gK_HabsFan says:

I am a huge Price and Subban fan, but I do not think they will get such contracts!

a) Price is our best player, but he still has a lot to prove.

b) Subban is still young and a RFA, which gives the Habs the advantage in negotiation talks.

Also, your lineup is essentially the same that is going to draft in the lottery. I am assuming Management is going to be hard pressed to make a significant move via trade or free agency.

Also, I expect the Salary Cap to go up 1 or 2 million dollars.

• Stev.R says:

There won’t be alot of huge changes from this year to next. Losing Gomez, Campoli, Noke and Darche will allow 4 new players. Most of them already are playing. With Kostitsyn gone that could allow us to add a new scorer (Doan, Hudler, Hemsky, Jones), a bottom 6 guy, and a depth veteran dman.

• Coca Cola Kid says:

How do you know we will rid ourselves of Gomez? Do you know something we don’t? Based on your calculations we have a huge problem salary wise with Gomez.

• boing007 says:

You think Price is worth 7 million? That price is wrong.

Richard R

• habs-fan-84 says:

Subban at 5!? He’ll get 2.5 – 3m a year in a 2 or 3yr. deal imo

43. The Jackal says:

Hypothetically, if we got Guy Boucher as a coach….. yay or nay?
    Anyone know anything that is not speculation about him and how he has done so far in the NHL?

• ont fan says:

J. Lemaire in spades..no

• Les Canayens says:

I don’t mind getting him but only after a couple of years of NHL experience. Assuming Yzerman is not the type to panic fire Boucher after 1 bad season, I think we’re on track to have him after our current coach, or his replacement this summer, expires after the usual 2 seasons stay a typical Montreal coach enjoys (or endures).

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭
      Scouting is subjective.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Yay.

The problem in Tampa is very simple: no keeper. Roloson is dead last among goalies who’ve played at least 20 games with a woeful 88% save percentage. This has forced them to play Mathieu Garon who is only a bit better at 90%.

Tampa are 15th in shots against but last – by far – in goals against. They give up an amazing 1.3 goals per game more than number one St.Louis. They’ve also had lots of injuries on D.

The team is hampered by being relatively limited financially, and being forced to pay 1/3 of their wage amount to three players. They simply can’t afford a major league goalie.

So Boucher in Montreal? by all means.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

44. Mondou6 says:

What do you guys think of Eller?

To me, he looks like he has some toughness and speed carrying the puck, but he has terrible hands, and no scoring touch.

Seems like he’ll often do a good job at battling for the puck, carry it smartly and quickly up ice, get to the blueline, and immediately get stripped by the defenseman.

Or he’ll carry it near goal, and lose control, get it taken away, or shoot weakly.

I dunno if he can learn or develop finishing skills, or if what we see is what we get.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Terrible hands, no scoring touch? Are you serious?

• Stev.R says:

Good puck control, bad decisions and no finish.

• HabFarmer says:

That spinarama move he made in the shoot out was actually a complete fluke……

*******************

Bring on zee Fembaahhts!!

• I’m not sure you’re watching the same player. Terrible hands? He’s got great hands. No scoring touch is due to low ice-time and the revolving door of linemates. Perhaps his play is also a reflection of how he is being coached. Defense first.

He will be a force.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Still young. Not as good as Halak.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habs-fan-84 says:

No hands? If anything, that’s been his strong point all along (aside from his defensive game), he’s fantastic with the puck – great puck possession skills. Scoring touch will come in time as he matures and learns to use his linemates more effectively. Just wait another year or two when he’s added more muscle to that frame as well…look out. Tons of potential with this kid.

• neumann103 says:

Eller

Pros
      Great hands.
      Committed to fight for pucks. Gets possession and maintains it well.
      Very good on ice vision.
      Opens up ice for linemates and finds them with tricky little passes.
      Strong defensively.
      Has a bullet shot when he chooses to use it. Lightning quick release when he commits.
      Hates being called Larry

Cons
      The same committment to fight for pucks results in careless penalties.
      Can hold on to the puck too long.
      Revolving door 3rd line linemates makeit hard to judge what he can really do
      Has a kind of half assed shot when he runs out of options and shoots as a last resort

“Et le but!”

45. boing007 says:

There’s a doc on hockey (More than just a game) on Mountain Lake PBS tomorrow night at 9 P.M., if anyone is interested.

Richard R

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Saw the tail end of it a couple weeks ago on gbh boston. Was pretty good, but struck me as “Home Game”, condensed to an hour to explain Canada to Americans.

______________________________________________________
      Lost a bottle of Kraken during this debacle of a season. Better gettem next year.

46. HUDSONHAB says:

A few warm , fuzzy feelings that I will take away from thi season.
    1: The development of the “Russian Eraser” Alexei Emelin.
    2: Cole – Deharnais – PacIoretty… a top NHL line.
    3: Despite the bumps in the road, Subban, Price and Eller’s rise.

One thing that will haunt me is the horrible OT/ Shootout record.

….Hab4life….

47. smiler2729 says:

This team’s true colours were exposed about a year ago in Boston when the Bruins literally beat, embarrassed and mocked us 7-0.

We have been nothing but a pushover since then in every way.

When a 170 lb weasel like Ribeiro openly mocks and taunts us again last night and NOTHING happens, this team has lost all its soul….

I don’t know if anybody here plays chess. If you do sign up at chess.com. It’s free and I play there often. I am always up for a chess challenge.

My profile: http://www.chess.com/livechess/profile/HardHabits

Just in case anybody has any desire too match wits with me mano a mano. Any takers?

BTW. My favourite piece is the Tank™.

49. smiler2729 says:

How low have we sunk?

50. Being reported that Habs about to make a trade soon.
    This guy has been super accurate and is followed by Darren Dreger himself. Let’s see if he is right this time.

Personally, who would you want to see shipped out? Okay.. nevermind.. let me re-state this before I see a list of Gomez, Campoli and Kaberle.. who can you see being traded next?

Je pense que c’est Andrei Kostitsyn.

If Florida misses out on playoffs does the team their start slashing payroll? Just thinking if we clear some payroll who some teams are we may be able to acquire some talent for next year.

52. Mr. Biter says:

Boys and girls, just went to Cap Geek and we are F#@ked for next year unless we can trade away some deadwood or they increase the cap. Unless we can dump Kaberle and maybe Borquue (not cause i want him gone but salary hit only and may bring a good return) we have only $7.75M in UFA’s & RFA to dump. AK $3.25, AP 883,000 , MB 615,000 ,PN 550,000 and Campoli 1,750.000 and Diaz750,000 who i would like to see back but is a RFA. No I don’t know how the non roster players work vs. the cap but we have 14 UFA’s & RFA’s in Hamilton including Geffferon (RFA). So unless some GM goes insane and takes Gomez and AM goes back to Russia and is knee caped by Chechen rebels and retires there’s almost$13M between the two of them.
    Im quite sure someone will let me know if AM would have been put on the Disabled list at the start of the season would his salary counted against our salary cap this year or not?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

Good article by Pat Hickey. Love the comment about AK46.

The Ruutu contract just shows that the insanity continues in the NHL.

• Boucher on thin ice? What, people don’t like his 4-1 system :lol:

Once I say that I pretty much lost any repsect for the guy as a coach.

TB hasd more problemsm than coaches though.

Defence, goaltending, and Marty and Vinny aren’t get any younger.

They Call Me Shane

What scares me about that article is that Hickey mentions McGuire as a GM candidate, I am sooner to accept Roy as coach next season.

54. Habfan4lfe says:

Not a true fan is total bullcrap. Its called being realistic. Ive watched the habs for 40 years and havent cared or watched any other team this ‘is’ my team period. If we did make it to the playoffs we’d get killed because we dont have the team or the coach.

• Hobie Hansen says:

There’s 30 teams now, times have changed…

• kholdstare says:

Once again, you sir are not a true fan, and your delusional self-righteousness is annyoing. You leave nothing but negative comments, you “laugh” at the people who think there is still hope. What difference does it make to you if they have a little hope? If you only come on here to check if PG gets fired then do just that, no need in signing on and belittling people for caring, go back to enjoying the smell of your own farts. No one cares about you, or what you have done in the past 40 years.

I’m embarrased that you and I cheer for the same team, because you suck.

55. Marc10 says:

What to do with the dead wood… Some ‘SD inspired’ questions for the faithful. Would love to get your thoughts.

1) AK’s value just went up with Ruutu re-signing. What’s he worth?

IMO, a late first rounder and a dozen pucks or a prospect + a second rounder.

2) Moen. Keep or ship?

I love him, but I’d ship him as he won’t be part of a Cup winning lineup in 3 years. We’ll get value back. A second rounder + a project or a bonafied prospect.

3) Gomer. Assuming we can’t give him away this year – what do you do with him?

My preferred option is that we give him away for a 7th-9th rounder + future considerations to a team that needs cap relief.

Otherwise we ship him to Europe or bury him in the AHL.

4) Kabs. Assuming we can’t trade him, what do you do next year?

I put him through re-entry waivers after sending him down. Someone will grab him then and we pay half his salary.

5) Campoli. What’s he worth?

A 3rd or 4th rounder?!

6) Weber/Diaz – what do you do with those guys?

Frankly, I never want to see a D man under 200lbs unless they are a bonafied PP specialist/QB. I don’t see these guys ever being strong or good enough… but maybe we’re seeing Mark Streit again here. What do you think. What are they worth?

I’d get a pick and a project me thinks. They have some potential. Weber has a cannon of a shot and Diaz is good all around but just doesn’t have the size.

7) Darche – Love the effort and he shows up in the playoffs. Someone would want him.

I’d do him a favour and ship him to a contender – to thank him for his valiant effort. We’d get something. A 4th rounder + future considerations?!

• Hobie Hansen says:

1) Kostitsyn has been brutal lately..hopefully we can still trade him for a 1st rounder.

2) Moen is only 29. He is a solid player who all teams love to have that can adjust his role to many situations. Moen is tough and keeper for sure.

3) No team would take Gomez…EVER. We have to hope before the new CBA next season that each team can part ways with a player without it counting against the cap. Or we bite the bullet and buy him out.

4) Kaberle isn’t as bad as Gomez but close. No team wants him. He stinks defensively, really stinks. And with smallish\weak defensive players like Weber and Diaz already on the team, something has to be done. One of those 3, minimum has to be moved.

5) Campoli…3rd round pick?

6) Weber or Diaz has to be moved, probably Weber for a real defenseman.

7) Darche…3rd round pick?

• Mr. Biter says:

Aye there must be Scottish Blood that runs in the veins of the Molson’s as thet “nay be paying a shilling to Gomez to play in the AHL”.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• VancouverHab says:

It may be true that the overwhelming majority here share your judgement of Gomez, & you are all entitled to your self-confidence.

It just has to be said again that the derided minority of ofttimes right. And that mimority here say that Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player, and here with a sensible coach or elsewhere he is going to be an important high-level asset.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The derided minority is sometimes right. However…

When the minority is one person.

And when the question is fairly simple, and answerable using empirical fact.

Then I would bet against the minority.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Mr. Biter says:

VancouverHab,
          A jab at the Molsons not Gomez. i posted last week several times that Gomez was playing his best hockey this year since he started playing with White. I also defended him 2 days ago asking anyone if they would turn down a $7.5 M raise. No one responed they would.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

56. God Lord, Ovechkin is not playing tonight.

Now that’s what I call trying to lose with authority.

When asked about his injury his reply?

I have no spine.

:lol:

They Call Me Shane

• Propwash says:

Would you take him on the team if cap space could be made? I.E stuff Gomez in a hockey bag and ship him off to Washington?

_____________________________
      Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• Oh that’s a tough one. The guy is a scoring machine, but at the same time brings down the dressing room with his “I’m way more important than you” attitude.

He comes off as loner, and an individual.

He parties too much (hearsay?)

He’s a country first personality.

So my answer is…..

At his salary I would rather 2-3 Pacioretty’s.

They Call Me Shane

• Propwash says:

Well, say for example, you don’t give him a letter…..yet, at max an A in the future, keeps down his superiority complex.
          He’s the kinda player that would (I think) excel in Montreal, and it strikes me that he’s fed up with the Caps. It might just be so crazy that it could work!

Probably would cost a first rounder as well, unfortunately. Gotta give up alot to get a franchise player from another team.

_____________________________
          Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

+1. Didn’t see your reply but had to jump in. He loves attention and he’d get his fill in Montreal.

______________________________________________________

• To get OV, I bet it takes three years of first rounders, plus Pacioretty.

They Call Me Shane

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

The only caveat might be that I think his “look at me” personality would thrive under the heat lamp in Montreal.

______________________________________________________

57. T-roy West says:

What is with peoples love affair with AK46. He really isn’t that great people. The experiment is over, move on.

58. Sean Bonjovi says:

The Canadiens have 50 players under contract with 6 more on the way from the CHL and possibly a couple from the ncaa. For the period between the end of the junior/us college season until July 1st do NHL teams get a break on the 50 contract limit, or do the Habs need to clear out a ton of players in the next few months?

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
    – Sean Bonjovi

• GuyDoon says:

Teams have four different “roster” limits to balance under the league’s regulations; a 20-player “dressed list” for games, a 23-player active NHL roster, a 50-contract maximum, and a 90-player maximum reserve list.

The 50-contract limit has an interesting distinction in that the limit pertains to the season(s) for which a contract is valid. All NHL player contracts expire on June 30. The year varies from contract to contract, but the day remains the same (as we’ll discuss more when we look at player contracts in later editions of the feature). Knowing it has expiring contracts coming off its 50-contract maximum, a team can sign players to contracts for the following season. By doing so a team may have more than 50 different players signed to valid SPCs, as long as 50 or fewer are signed to valid SPCs for that current season AND fewer than 50 SPCs on tap for the upcoming season.

59. Psycho29 says:

Ruutu; 4 years $19million with Carolina…

• Propwash says:

Insane money being thrown around the league for “meh” players these days.

_____________________________
      Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Someone on another site suggested that is the money it takes to keep a player in Carolina … I can believe it. They also cited the Hurricanes not trying to keep players over the past few years and how that has hurt them … cannot comment on that. But it is a hell of price to stop the bleeding.

• Psycho29 says:

Does it make him easier to trade now that he’s under contract?

• twocents says:

Yeah, I was just going to post that. That’s too much money for him in my opinion. I know he brings a lot and it’s not a huge over-payment, but it’s still an overpayment.

Without getting into comparisons with Gauthier, Rutherford does some really questionable things.

60. boing007 says:

A few tidbits from some Leafs fan at a TSN blog:

Trade Toronto/Carolina: Lupul, Phaneuf, Gustavsson, Kadri, 1st & 3rd round picks for Cam Ward and Eric Staal.

TRADE UPDATE: Darren Dreger trades his red pen for a blue one and a pencil to be named later!!

This just in: Leafs trade Grabovski for Nicholas Cage & John Travolta – face-off specialists.

The leafs entire defence for a fine set of pylons.

This just in: Leafs trade The Monster for The Bus Driver – makes more stops.
    (How about Ralph Kramden then?)

The Leafs will never compete for anything other than 8th -10th place with so many secondary players on the team.Keep Kessel,Lupul,re-sign Grabovski,keep Gustaffsen,and offer any 6 players in the system to Columbus for both Nash and Carter.Now we have two top lines.The defense is a sieve. Pretending this group will become the core of a Stanley Cup team is ludicrous.All you have to do is watch them all run around with their heads cut off game after game.
    Someone in TO is willing to give up 6 to 8 players for Nash & Carter. Why not Montréal?

Monster, Schenn, Komisarek, Armstrong, Finger to Montreal for Gomez… Help that team TANK to get the 1st overall pick. Gomez is starting to heat up in the points column.
    Yeah, right. Two goals.

Blunden, Leblanc, Campoli, and Kaberle for Schenn and Gunnarsson.

I’ve heard that Toronto has even offered up Raptors and BlueJays tickets for R. Nash……wow!!

Richard R

61. boing007 says:

So the Fat Lady turns out to be a guy in drag. Who woulda thunk it?

Richard R

62. adamkennelly says:

it has been over for a long time..it was pretty clear this team was not good enough – better to accept it and do your best to change it as quickly as possible then to pretend.

need a new GM, and a new coach and a new identity…they gave it a shot trying to be Detroit #2 – skill, puck possession, no toughness, killer PP etc but turns out – you need to have the right talent to pull that off…rest of the league relies on a mix – time for our Habs to realize it (its pretty clear to most everyone) and work towards it.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

But you need the right talent and luck to be any of the other teams too so I would really prefer that MTL. sticks to its guns and fine tunes a squad to play a beautiful game than for the Habs to become the BruinsNorth. I think Pleks and Eller are a fine start at the C position, especially with Pacioretty and Cole on the wings. LL seems to fit and I think AK with some love and new contract could fill a role. Blunden, White and Moen on the fourth and the Habs are a mere three forwards from figuring it out. Try Desharnais at wing and see if that flies. Maybe just two forwards …. D is coming along and probably best promoted from within.

63. otter649 says:

Didn’t Hickey make a $20.00 bet that The Habs would make the playoffs with Francis Gagnon on his heels of last season’s bet with Rick Moffatt with Moffatt saying Price would have more wins than Halak (Mr Hickey’s choice)…….

64. RGM says:

Shane and I were discussing not too long ago the prospect of Carey Price playing at the World Championships should the Habs fail to make the playoffs. It seems like the playoffs are a distant dream at this point – I still want to hope but it’s going to be a very difficult struggle. So that said, should Carey go to the World Champs and win himself a gold medal?

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

65. Stuck_in_To. says:

My five thoughts / questions on recent happenings and ideas:

1.) Ribeiro was punk while he was here and the fact that he doesn’t know he was a punk and that his career was probably saved by being shipped out proves (to me) he is a punk. Okay, it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy but I’m okay with that. All that being said, he is not wrong that media was part of the problem and I have no problems with his pride demanding his “star skate”.

2.) Pleks is a rare talent even if he isn’t a truly elite centre in the NHL. His versatility and creativity remain a rare commodity and remind me of the type of player that the Red wings build on. Do we really want to trade that. Rhetorical question with an implied answer of “only if you are nuts”.

3.) Cunneyworth has been better than JM but he cannot stay. It’s not a language issue with me but a “tainted by association” issue. That and the fact that he is line juggling like Martin which just kills me. You might be able to scramble into the last playoff spot but it is highly unlikely you are going to scramble out of a playoff series.

4.) We have a lot of young players that need coaching and serious influx of talent waiting in the pipe that will require both fan patience (oh oh) and the proper coach.

5.) Draft scenarios …. given the general agreement that the C position is in demand all over the league, will the Habs be able to maneuver an appropriate positional pick so as to not overpay but also to get a real talent?

I support David Desharnais …. ; )

• habsnyc says:

Ribiero was the leading scorer here. I do not think his career needed saving. He remains the most successful forward drafted by this organization over 18 years.

This team is not close to contending and Plekanec is turning 30. He has peaked as a player and the team is rebuilding. This is the perfect time to trade him.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Not sure what you are talking about. In his final full year, Ribs came in 4th behind Kovalev, Koivu and Ryder. That was 2005/6. Lock out. Previous year, 2003/4 he was 1st by two points over Ryder and cleared Koivu considerably. Then his head got fat, which is my point. Previous year he was 14th! One season doesn’t make a career but he has always thought it did. I am glad they got that attitude off the team.

• LA Loyalist says:

The problem for RC is he was thrown under the bus the day language became an issue. How can we judge the guy? He’s whipping the donkeys he’s got with an imaginary whip.

How’s that working out?

Hope he gets a nice job and a cushy bonus out of this, he deserves it.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

I agree that RC was put in an untenable position and unfairly pilloried. But for the players and their development, his trials are irrelevant. I wish he had been given a fair shot and mandate … it also would have been better for the players. But he was not and the team cannot hold itself back for any one man.

66. JF says:

When Jacques Martin was fired, I was quite certain the team would plummet in the standings. As a coach, Martin has flaws, and many of the criticisms of him were justified; but under him, the team was consistent, there were few bad games, and the results (after a bad start) were about what you could expect from a team with only moderate talent and missing key players. Randy Cunneyworth has not got a lot of coaching experience, and it shows. The team looks what it is – a bad team which nevertheless does some things well (i.e., kill penalties) and plays a very good game here and there. What we haven’t seen is the kind of consistency we saw under Jacques Martin. Some nights the effort is there; on just as many it doesn’t seem to be. There are claims the team is playing more exciting hockey; I’d say this is true only some of the time. The Jersey and Dallas games were at least as flat as any JM coached. But from the beginning, there seemed no reason on earth to imagine that Cunneyworth could get better results out of his players than JM did.

• Price07 says:

Not many bad games with JM? I’m pretty sure we sucked just as bad early on in the season as we do now. I’m not saying Randy is the man but I’m happy to have moved on from Martin’s system. Depending on what Gauthier does from now until the draft I might be happy to see all of management changed since its been almost 10 years of no success under these guys. At a certain point its time for a full change, not just replacing coaches and GMs with their assistants..

• LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, JM was consistent – consistently MEDIOCRE. This is freaking MONTREAL. MEDIOCRE ISN’T GOOD ENOUGH – get it through your thick head.

• Propwash says:

“Do you muddle through in your life? Do you work in middle management with a middle-y attractive wife and straight C kids and drive a freaking Toyota? And drink Molsons? Oh crap…”

Hey….I resemble that remark!

_____________________________
        Don’t let the wultures getcha.

67. Habfan4lfe says:

About the only purpose for this site right now is just to get news when PG and Randy are fired. Beyond that I barely come here anymore. Check headlines, have a few laughs at some of ignorant fans that still think there is a glimmer of hope to get into the playoffs. Like getting into a round of the playoffs and watching them get beaten up anymore is even worth it. God, like the season wasn’t an embarrassment enough.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Well you’re not a true Habs fan by saying that. I would rather them be the 8th place team with no chance in hell of winning a game than not making the playoffs.

The playoffs are what every hockey fan lives for. It is 10x better hockey than the regular season and you never know what can happen once you get there.

Time to pick another team or sport for you I guess?

• LA Loyalist says:

Amen. I’ve even given up any hope of dumping floaters at the trade deadline.

Can we decline the rest of the season and start over?

• kholdstare says:

You are an idiot habfan4lfe. No one cares why you come here, or who you laugh at, and the reason for that is, you simply arent as important as you think you are. Go leave your asinine comments somewhere else.

68. Hobie Hansen says:

I have been hanging on for as long as I could, call me a traitor, call me what you will, but the Habs are done. The defense is just too feeble and we’ve got only one line consistently playing well.

Unfortunately, guys like Bourque (0 pts in last 5 GP) , Eller (0 pts in last 5 GP) and Kostitsyn (0 pts in last 7 GP) have completely disappeared. It’s very frustrating.

Plekanaec has been on one night and off the next for the past couple months. Gionta’s injury hurts and Markov is still MIA.

With the 7 or 8 big contracts the Habs currently have, puls Price and Subban to sign, this team will not be rebuilding.

Maybe Kostitsyn get dealt but that’s about all that will happen.

So hopefully Markov is ready to go next year, the coach and system are set to go from game one and the defense and checking lines are toughened up.

There is no Oilers, Penguins or Hawks rebuild about to happen so the Goat better make some minor moves over the summer and have everyone pumped up and ready to go next September…and draft well with what picks we end up with after the deadline.

69. Kimberly2u says:

I think the fat lady was singing at training camp

70. kmachabs27 says:

Sorrry to say fellow die hearts, the fat lady has sung and shes singin pretty damn loud. Admit it………..on a funnier note, i was actually howling after that Ribeiro curtain call stint, anybody else?

71. handyg says:

I think most people would agree with this statement – the Habs are done.
    I haven’t been able to sit through an entire game since Christmas time to be honest – it’s just too painful to watch on most nights. Last night, I sat and watched the whole game from puck drop to that last siren. What an embarrassment! It was very difficult to see how far this organization has fallen – and how far they have to climb to get back up. I guess the only thing left now for Habs fans is to wait and see what will Molson do. Will he have the guts to make the tough decisions and clean out management and start over form the top? Who will he get to advise him through this whole process? As much as I love Bob Gainey and everything he has done for this organization, this mess is him so he should also be removed from all decision making. If this is the case – who replaces him and offers Molson the sound advice to put this back on the right track?

Should be an interesting spring and summer to say the least…
    In the meantime, there is always the Impact I guess – first game March 20.

72. Nothing’s over until the numbers say so!

When management shows me they are sellers, then maybe I’ll stop cheering for a win, and a shot at the Cup.

But that’s not me, I never give up, 21 years in the infantry wll do that to you.

They Call Me Shane