Current and former Habs get into Grand Prix weekend

Canadiens forward Brandon Prust took part in the Canadian Grand Prix party scene, attending a cocktail party sponsored by McLaren on the Friday before the race along with his girlfriend, French TV host Marie-Pierre Morin.

“This is my first Grand Prix so it’s pretty fun,” Prust, shown in photo above with girlfriend Morin (centre) and Anne-Marie Withenshaw at the Ritz-Carlton Grand Prix event. “She knows everybody, so I’m being introduced to everybody.”

Teammate Lars Eller also attended the event at the Ritz-Carlton.

“This is definitely a pretty extraordinary (party),” said Eller, who brought along his younger brothers Mads (who plays junior hockey in Denmark) and Michael, who were in town visiting for the weekend. “I don’t get to see them very often being here 10 months a year, so it’s nice to show them a good time. Everyone’s having a good time and are friendly.”

Former Canadien Patrice Brisebois attended Sunday’s Grand Prix race, which fell on the 20th anniversary of the Habs’ last Stanley Cup championship, which Brisebois was part of.

“I remember we stayed in the Forum until maybe three o’clock in the morning, drinking champagne,” Brisebois told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. “We were so high on emotion, you couldn’t believe it.

“I don’t remember if I slept that night. All those years … the sacrifices, the people who helped you — family, friends, girlfriends, they all supported and helped you to finally reach your goal.

“You’re a kid and you say, ‘One day I want to make it in the NHL.’ And then, when you’re there, you think, ‘One day, I want to win the Stanley Cup.’

“Growing up, watching the Canadiens, the Stanley Cup parades, you’re saying, ‘One day, I hope that maybe that’s me.’ And then it is. The parade was one of the most beautiful days in my life. It was outstanding.”

(Photo by Peter McCabe/The Gazette)

Athletes fill in for Hollywood actors at Grand Prix parties, by Suzanne Wexler

Brisebois spends 20th anniversary of Cup win at Grand Prix, by Dave Stubbs

Hawks and Kings gave us Hockey Unleashed, by Jack Todd

1. Un Canadien errant says:

The same thought occurred to me watching the semis, but according to Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun, Jarome Iginla is in for a cut in pay next year.

2. Habfan10912 says:

Post of the day from Johnnylarue

“Frontenac, for god’s sake, what’s your beef with Youppi??? Did he accidentally knock a beer out of your hand at an Expos game when you were 12?”

3. Un Canadien errant says:

Report: Pittsburgh Penguins Goalie Coach Gilles Meloche Will Resign

———————————————————————–

4. habstrinifan says:

What if you got fired by SKYPE?

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Trini. Burly raised that question earlier today. It appears we may have a generational gap thing going here. Old farts like me think its very poor etiquette while the younger folks see it as delivering bad news more quickly. I do think it’s better then a text however. :)

Hired in Person, Fired in Person, unless you did something so egregious you don’t deserve to be told in person. Why not have MacT, make a quick trip to Europe and meet up with European scouts or something. I don’t know, I understand why they did, but doesn’t feel right to me.

5. habstrinifan says:

Two items made me think. Subban reputedly winning the Norris. And Commandant’s link to “how to build a dynasty”.
    I rememebr MB’s characterization of who are the key cogs of the team going forward. In fact he signed some extensions based on whom he saw as the ‘key cogs’. Remember he specifically answered ‘not sure’ or ambiguously when asked if Subban fell in this group. Of course the abject apologists here would say he did no such thing.

I would like to address this post to Commandant and any other of our serious ‘stats’ type hockey posters.

Now I could do the research myself but a) I am too lazy and b) you guys already have your encyclopaedic sources.

The article linked to by Commandant fell somewhat short for its comprehensiveness and originality.There were some good points and examples, but the title seduced you with promise of much more.

From my in-expert eye there seems to be a new trend characteristic of these ‘dynasty’ type teams. Oddly it is a trend which Sam Pollock mastered years ago.

Teams which aim to ‘dynasty’ status must learn how to ‘cull’ the herd. How to timely ‘get rid’ of ‘key’ players and replace them so that the team is replenished so that in a year or two it is back on top.

In my opinion, Boston and Chicago did this brilliantly. I dont even have to detail Chicago’s . It should be obvious.
    Boston’s may not be as obvious but they did the same.
    I will like to pick one example from Boston.

Michael Ryder. During Boston’s Stanley Cup run Ryder was instrumental. And yet you know what happened after. Think of how HABS have stucked with certain players. Always trying to get ‘full performance’ from those players by adding absolutely marginal players.
    Maybe that would be a good exercise to do a piece on. How the good teams have ‘culled’ the herd.

Others may not agree with this rather strange observation, but I think it is becoming a key job of good GM’S.

6. HabFab says:

Probably how Kipper came to the conclusion about Subban.
    Still not coming from other sources.

MAGodin – According to a source, only award winners were invited to the TV special in Chicago. This could have lead to the Subban-wins-Norris leak.

7. ed says:

For years there have been star players, the Gretzky’s, the Lemieux’s, the Crosby’s, who have been complaining that the refs were not making the calls.

The “traditional” pundits liked to call these stars ,”whiners”, because they complained on the ice.

The “whiners” have been right all along.

First off, complaining to a ref, if you have a letter on your jersey, is totally legitimate.

Second, the refs have been god awful in the NHL since I can remember, and that goes back to the late 60′s and early 70′s.

Third, the ELITE players are the ones constantly losing out, as they are quicker and more agile, forcing the slower players to clutch, grab, maul, and whatever else they can do to slow them down.

Finally, its us fans who should be siding with these players who complain about the reffs, instead of depicting the players as the bad guys, the babies, the whiners, etc.

The game would be so much more entertaining if the game was celebrating the Crosby’s of the world instead of the Lucic’s or Marchand’s.

The NHL has the worst refs of any pro sport. It’s not even close.

Maybe if there were more “whiners” the NHL would be forced to make the changes they should have made years ago.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hear hear.

It’s telling that most analysts who aren’t goalies tend to be the muckers and grinders, and not artistic, spectacular players. They’re setting a tone that allows the pernicious, endemic lawlessness to continue. Just today, I heard a talk show extolling Brad Marchand for being a ‘great player who gets under your skin’. Not a cheater who should be suspended half the time for his lowbridging and slewfoots and spears, and would have to spend half the game in the box for those he did play. It’s revolting. But Gary Bettman is too busy preparing an outdoor game for LA to worry about that.

• 1010 says:

Totally agree with what you`re saying Ed. But I`ll go one step further and say I believe it`s league sanctioned. They were talking today on the fan 590 about how lucky Bettman is to have two large cities, American, original six teams in the finals. It`s a dream in the strike shortened season they said. Funny, a couple of weeks ago these same guys were talking about how the NBA would never allow the two smallest market teams in the league to meet in the final. They questioned the integrity of the leagues`officiating. But we all know that the NHL would never stoop that low.Ha. I believe the refs are doing what they are told. They are walking a tightrope and they are not calling the most blatant stuff because they are told not to. Just look at the interference that hasn`t been called and it `s embarrasing to watch.
      The only thing they call is too many men on the ice and shooting the puck over the glass. Everything else is as Glen Healey says,`Hudson Bay rules.`It`s a total sham.

8. frontenac1 says:

Trade Youppi for Harvey the Hound Dog. Mike wouldn’t rip out his tongue and Mactavish can snuff that orange piece of sh** for all I care.

9. Small_Town_Boy says:

PK will now cost MB an extra 2 mil per season now! He dropped the Ball Again …

Dat’s wha me tinks

Yup, complete and utter failure. We should fire him and start all over again. Continuity is the worst thing for this franchise. If we can start each year fresh with new coach and new GM we will be way better off.

Dat’s wha me has no idea about but will say it anyway

• ClutchNGrab says:

Don’t know if that comment is sarcastic or not, but a lot of fans forget to see the big picture. On D, only Josh Gorges is currently signed the season PK will have to be re-signed. So, that 2 mil you’re talking about will weight less compared to both the new MTL salary structure for the defense and the new salary cap of that season.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I said it before MB signed Subban, he should have been given long term, and the money he wanted. If he wins the Norris his agent will go for for the throat and he’ll end up costing a hell of a lot more than what he wanted this year. Mob has been a decent GM so far but this and the DD signing haven’t been that great.

• Mark C says:

What if Subban turned into Myers? PK was at an early career crossroads, none of us know what would have happened had he been handed life changing money before last season. Personally, I would bet on Subban handling it well, but I hate how everyone acts like there is no alternate reality to the 2012-13 PK Subban story. There is a real chance that we wouldn’t be here talking about Subban winning the Norris had he been given a long term contract.

• ont fan says:

If Subban turned into Myers, someone would say, I saw that one coming. Why was MB so dumb? Kopitar instead of Price. Dionne instead of Lafleur. It goes on and on.

• Mark C says:

You win the door prize. Can’t we just be happy we have a Norris level D on the cheap for one more year and will still own his rights?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Well said Mark.

I’m perfectly happy with the season P.K. had, with the huge improvements he made, and to pay him what he’s now shown he can be worth. I’d rather pay him a little more on his performance, rather than to have tried to save a few mill to pay him on his potential. It’s money well spent.

10. Bob Gaineys Stare says:

4 years ago, the Habs botched free agency. Here’s a cautionary tale for why Bergevin might not run wild this year: http://bobgaineysstare.wordpress.com/

11. TrevEllwood says:

Sportsnet reporting that PK is winning the Noris

12. HabFab says:

All, re the PK story. None of the other media people are running with it. Hopefully that is not a negative thing.

13. Sportfan says:

Here’s my Jays-Rangers wrap up guys!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

14. Lafleurguy says:

Aargh! Sudden thought and revelation. We live in a “Wikileaks” era. I believe all the great ideas you gentlemen and seven ladies have been putting forth on HIO have been used by Chiarelli to build a winning team. Who knows how many other unscrupulous NHL GMs have been tapping into the enormous braintrust of HIO. Oh well, we can feel some comfort that Gauthier and Gainey weren’t intruding on us.

“May you live in interesting times.”

15. GrosBill says:

Question:

Do you think this is the year Edmonton makes the playoffs?

My own opinion, which of course means nothing, is likely the year after next season. Still some work to be done to bring that team together. The right coaching staff being selected could help speed that up as well as a couple smart moves.

Blue line needs help, at least in the short term. They do have a healthy amount of prospects.

Dub good enough in net? I guess it is early too tell. Who knows how good he could be in a good systemdefence also.

I would like to see them make it. I would like to see them do anything next year other then land the #1 again.

Will MacT move this team forward? Or will they continue to spin their wheels in the mud?

• Sportfan says:

They are weak on D and Dubnyk is not a clutch goalie I’ll see it when I believe it but he blew it at the Worlds and I don’t think he could carry that team deep. If they can fix the D issue and get some vets that can help the young guys then they can be a 6-8th seed this season maybe. He is possibly chucking horcoff and Hemsky.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• JUST ME says:

They would be in a good position to get what they need to reach the playoffs but i am not sure that they are ready to make the move.

They need to sacrifice one of their young star to get veterans . It`s all a matter of balance between veterans and rookies,young and old. They are very promissing but i think that they were expected to make miracles and carry the team on their own. They are kids, they need help and time to mature. They need good veterans to help them learn . The management did not do the job.

• habstrinifan says:

I think they chose a coach who needs a few more years.

16. bwoar says:

For those of you that only pay attention to the Habs -

Roman Josi is a 23-year old PMD and the same size as Gorges. Gets twice the points. Actually has a chance of living up to his contract, as opposed to Smilin’ Josh. Seeing a couple grumbles here, thought I’d help out for anyone wondering where that contract comes from.

“thoroughbred”

• Loonie says:

Wait, wait, wait. You mean a player who can play as many minutes as Gorges, is as physical, is a very good shot blocker and contributes offense isn’t necessarily the same as Josh Gorges?

Funny that in the cap era every player within certain salary ranges are compared and more often than not seen as equals when the truth is somewhere very far away from that.

This, right or wrong, was a contract not just about what Josi is today but what the Predators believe he’ll become.

If the Habs had done a similar contract with Josh Gorges he’d be signed for around $2.5 to $3 million annually instead of $4 million and the term would probably be about three years shorter than what his is.

• bwoar says:

But, JG’s contract now looks inexpensive? Right?

Eh, the sarcasm has me today. Aside from that, I think the Preds signed a good deal for their young up-and-comer. If this was Preds I/O we’d have a bunch of posts complaining he wasn’t locked up for 8 years. When Josi wins the Norris trophy in 2 years someone will be sure to remind us how great hindsight is.

“thoroughbred”

• Seps says:

You think Josi is going to win a Norris trophy? LMAO, Weber hasn’t even won it yet.

I suspect part of your comment was directed at my comment earlier. I don’t like the Gorges contract, particularly watching this past season. I admit I wasn’t as opposed at time of signing, but I am not a big fan now of that contract.

That said, I know nothing about the kid the Preds signed, but based on two short seasons with the Preds, locking him up 7 years seems like a risk to me. My comment was not to seriously make Gorges contract look good, but rather that lots of teams make decisions that can be deemed risky.

• habstrinifan says:

7yrs at that rate.. I think Preds did well. Not a very tough contract to trade.

• HabFab says:

But but but…he is Swiss!!!!!!!!!!

17. Loonie says:

It’s been a while, are the honeymoons still going strong?

18. commandant says:

The formula to building consistent winners in Todays NHL, or is it

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I think the way to build a winning franchise is to have as many high quality assets in the system as possible. Sounds simple I know, but how do you do it? There are three ways you can attain assets; draft, trade or sign. Trading players is somewhat of a crapshoot because you often have to give up something that appears to be equal value at the time and then hope you end up winning in the end. Signing works well, but the price of these assets are usually higher due to demand. Which sucks in a salary cap system. Drafting it seems is best because the league gives you 7 free assets every year, but there is still the chance that these assets never develop into something high quality. So how do you ensure your assets develop? For one, you need to have a talented scouting staff, and two you need to play the probability and acquire as mine draft picks as possible to strengthen the chances a high quality asset is acquired. So how do you acquire draft picks? The only way is to trade for them. But like I said above trading tends to be giving up something that is equal value (usually when trading for picks it’s something that has already reached it’s potential). Now you don’t want to end up in a situation where you have to clean house to bring in draft picks because that’s an ugly process, so what do you do? In my opinion you look for the guy testing free agency that will sign short term deals, that would be considered a valuable addition by many other teams come trade deadline. Essentially, you look for that rental player you can trade away. It’s cynical, but it is the easiest way to keep bringing in high draft picks for almost nothing (if you only sign the player knowing that you will trade them within a year or two).

So who is the best potential rental player on free agency this summer?

• Stevie.Ray says:

Also, a rental player in my mind is someone who is probably somewhat older that can still produce to some degree. They are willing to sign short term deals, and often bring some sort of intangible teams are looking for at trade deadline (faceoffs, pk specialist, grit, leadership).

And, while I think it’s best to always try to collect as many picks as you can, it would probably be best to focus on any two or three consecutive drafts to stockpile picks. That way the prospects can develop together in the minors, and enter the league at about the same time. Entry level deals are cheaper so it would be nice to have several of them on a roster at one time so that the big dollars can go to the teams superstars. I think this is what PG was trying to do at this years draft and last years.

19. commandant says:

7 years 28 million for Roman Josi? Thats Josh Gorges money.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

Gonchar gets $5million per for 2 years at 39, and now the Preds sign a guy who has played in only 2 NHL seasons for $4million per for 7 years.

Suddenly Gorges looks very inexpensive….

21. GrimJim says:

FYI – Today is the 20th anniversary of my getting engaged. My wife went to visit some friends while I watched the Habs win the Cup. When she got back, we talked until about 3am and ended up engaged. Got married in 1994 and our only child was born in 1995.

22. Habfan10912 says:

Further reports out of NY say the Rangers wanted Bylsma and were hoping the Pens would fire him. Now that it looks like Bylsma has survived the Rangers appear to have turned their attention to signing Ruff.

23. Un Canadien errant says:

I guess the format the NHL will use to announce the Norris Trophy winner is the cause for the leak. If this TV program were the usual format, with the three finalists in attendance, there’d be no indication, but if they had to line up P.K. to be available for this pre-game show, that kind of makes it hard to keep secret, with all those people involved at the NHL, the broadcasters, the team…]

24. mrhabby says:

Heres hoping the Hawks are looking at the tape of the Leafs/Bruins series as that will show just how close the leafs were to beating them. Dump and chase and expose the bruins slower defence and clog up the neutral zone. Take advantage at every turn and hope Crawford outplays Rask.

Its a toss up.

25. Fake says:

Hey guys what do you think about Ryan Hartman? He looks like an intriguing prospect, it would be cool if he landed in our lap for our 2nd round pick.

26. Ali says:

anyone know what Bob Gainey’s status is in Dallas? Did he get let go with Nieuwendyk?

27. Psycho29 says:

That’s awesome about PK winning the Norris Trophy….

But how certain is this? From a Nick Kypreos’ tweet????

I hope he’s right….

Kypreos appears to have really out scooped everyone with the PK news. Still nothing from any other sources.

29. Habitant in Surrey says:

…considering Sydney Crosby’s series of concussions, losing a quarter of his teeth complete with fractured jaw, I am awed at His passion and courage

…maybe all he had to overcome left little in the tank to play like he can …and he should have more intelligently controlled his passion to keep his frustration more focused on playing smarter …but the people that call Syd a ‘cry baby’ themselves would not hold a candle to his courage and will to win

• Mattyleg says:

He’s certainly outgrown that moniker, but it was one that was well-earned in the past.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• ed says:

Disagree that Crosby was ever a cry baby.

the refs sucked back then, and they continue to suck today.

• hdcase says:

He still yaps too much. He spent way too much time in the first game yapping at the refs. However, I was really impressed how he picked up his game in the fourth game against Boston. He was clearly not feeling well after that hit from Paille. NBC showed him with his head between his knees twice. I was worried that he wasn’t going to come back out at all but somehow, he pulled himself together and played his best game of the series.

hdcase

• bwoar says:

Wow. You must’ve thought #99 had a stiff upper lip, too. Crosby was a class-A whiner.

“thoroughbred”

• ed says:

exactly like Gretzky. at 19, both were already elite players who were getting zero respect from other teams or especially from the refs.

the refs were terrible then, missing calls that were holding, hooking, roughing, and obstructing Crosby all over the nice.

nothing has changed. the refs still don’t make the calls.

• Mattyleg says:

How dare anyone touch them!
            They were ELITE PLAYERS, who deserved respect.
            Other players should have bowed to them and let them pass, while referees should have called anyone who tried to stand in their way.

You’re right, Sid and Wayne were right to whine and complain like babies that the game wasn’t going their way.

Boo to the refs!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Timo says:

I am awed at his bank account.

30. jrshabs1 says:

Way to go PK!..too bad I’m stuck reading about the soft rookie Breezeby and his lucky to be on the ’93 Stanley Cup team stories.

Go Habs Go!!

31. Un Canadien errant says:

Arik Parnass with a good breakdown of what to expect from the Canadiens on draft day.

32. Habfan10912 says:

Reports out of NY. The Sabre’s have given permission for the Rangers to speak with Ruff.
    The NY Rangers have also been asked to give permission for Dallas to meet with Torts.

• Habfan17 says:

First Gonchar at a crazy contract, now Torts, things that make you go hmmmmm.

• Habfan10912 says:

Yea 17. I do think Torts is a good coach but I think he has a very short shelve life. Maybe the Ranger players just stopped listening to him? I dunno.

• Mattyleg says:

They certainly did.
          You can see exactly when they stopped listening to him: just before they started winning, and Torts started looking meeker in front of the journos.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan17 says:

Hey 10912, Torts is a good coach, you don’t win Stanley cups when you aren’t, I think. Just don’t know if his schtick works anymore, as entertaining for us fans as it is.

Habfan17

Cups or Cup. Torterella won a cup, and must have done a good job, but I wonder if his methodology has run its course.

Look at how we see how Hitchcock has changed his style of coaching in the NHL. Seems to me Torts only has one style.

• Mattyleg says:

I could see Edmonton throwing the whole shooting-gallery at Ruff.
      He’d be great for Edmonton’s young team.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

33. SmartDog says:

Most sportscasters are now saying that the Bruins will beat the Blackhawks. A lot of them are saying that Rask is the key difference – that and the B’s ability to control the play and frustrate other teams.

I disagree. I think the Blackhawks speed and east-west game will do to Rask what the Habs were able to. The Pens also a) don’t have a Bickell and b) have a suspect D. Remember that this Bruins team, as good as they are playing, is the same team that almost lost to Toronto.

The Hawks are a machine, and to me, just the kind of machine that can pick the Bruins apart like buzzards on a carcass. UNLESS the B’s take a few key players out early by dirty “hockey plays”, I predict the Hawks in 6.

PS: Congrats to PK. Well-deserved. Just don’t kill us on the next contract okay?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• filincal says:

the B’s game is intimidation. If the Hawks can handle their fore-check without crapping the bed and giving away the puck in their own zone; then it should be relatively easy to get into the B’s zone and fly by their ‘D’.

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

• H.Upmann says:

Exactly. For me, I’d like to see the Hawks win simply because of hockey “style”. After a while, Boston style hockey gets boring… Though not a leaf fan by any means, I really liked the speed they had going against Boston.

34. Strummer says:

Nice one, PK!

Some of you think he’ll make $7.5 – $8 per season on his next contract.

What is the case for him making more than Karlsson- 7 years @$6.5- with a $64 million salary cap?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

35. Adidess says:

Wait, I am confused. I thought everybody hated Subban?

36. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just hope PK keeps His feet on the ground though

Can PK have a higher trade value than right now? I wouldn’t trade him unless the deal was too good to refuse, but another season at low cap hit, RFA after the contract, Norris trophy in hip pocket.

38. mrhabby says:

Subbie, Subbie.

39. habsfan0 says:

Does PK winning the Norris Trophy mean that he’ll be booed more in enemy rinks?

40. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the only game I have watched since Our Habs were swatted like nuisance flies at a picnic by the Senators, was the Chicago/Los Angeles beauty double overtime elimination game

…similar to Our Habs confronting the Neanderthal hockey of the Philthydelphia Broad Street Bullies of yesteryear …the Beans and Hawks series will be a similar battle for hockey fans between clutching and clogging hockey and beautiful hockey

…Go Scotty Jr. !!! …Go Hawks !!!

41. commandant says:

Good for PK! So happy for that kid.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

42. bwoar says:

I know Ales Hemsky isn’t gonna get a lot of love here, in the face of the “get bigger right now” agenda (that I agree with.)

But,

a) we need immediate, short-term top-6 help at RW
    b) I think the Oilers #7 pick is in play this year.

With those considerations, would you trade Hemsky + #7 for Gorges + # 25?

Would it take much more to move up to #7?

“thoroughbred”

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t see Edmonton making that deal. I don’t like Hemsky but I would make that deal to get the #7 pick.

They would want a lot more I would think to move their 7th.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• commandant says:

I’d make the deal even without Hemsky involved… don’t think the Oil will do that though.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t think the Habs need top 6 right wing help. Bourque is a natural right wing and is more productive there than on the left side. Gionta is the 2nd line right wing and Gallagher the 3rd line. The Habs in my opinion need a left wing on the second line. Hemsky has had too many injuries too. If the Oilers would take Gorges, the 25th overall and Holland, I would do it.

• mrhabby says:

oilers would never do that.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I have to go along with everyone and say I’d do that, but really don’t think the Oilers would. They’d value Josh as a steady d-man, but not enough to flip back the #7 pick by itself, let alone packaged with Ales Hemsky.

• bwoar says:

Hemsky is a salary dump at that point for the Oilers; that’s the gist of not giving up more. They dump salary and make a good hockey deal for them. Hemsky has 1 year left and will be overpaid on it as it is.

Granted it seems they wouldn’t do that. But I’d be trying like hell to take advantage of MacT right about now.

“thoroughbred”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, Mr. Hemsky isn’t necessarily worth his contract right now, but he’s still an asset, he’s worth something. If his contract ran for five more years we’d have them over a barrel, but they can afford the last year, they’re not tight to the cap.

No question that if we can take on a player’s salary and use that to our advantage against desperate teams, we do it.

43. Habitant in Surrey says:

…PK is going to be one wealthy hombre …with His charisma and media sizzle, He will be making as much green off the ice than He will on the ice

…and, Marc My words, His on ice services ain’t going to be paid with chump change :)

44. Old Bald Bird says:

How awesome for PK!!! I didn’t think they would give it to him. Obviously, MT’s personal development program was the difference.

• bwoar says:

For all the heat MT took in this place over his PK comments, the results are in and it’s MT 1, Haters 0 when it comes to the young defenseman.

thoroughbred”

• Habfan17 says:

Wow, either the folks at TSN don’t want to report good news for Subban and the Habs or they are wary of posting it until it is officially announced. Sportsnet has that huge column. Hats off to Subban!!

45. Habitant in Surrey says:

…way to go PK !!! …now, how much is this going to cost Geoff Molson …and Our salary cap ? :)

• bwoar says:

7.5M per season, I’d imagine.

“thoroughbred”

• Kooch7800 says:

I think now with the Win of the Norris trophy they will wait until the end of next season before they really negotiate a new contract. He will still be an RFA and they will want to see a full season after the Norris season.

Hats off to Subban though. good for him, he played well in the reg and post season

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habilis says:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get 8 per season. The cap will surely be going up in 14/15 and PK will be negotiating as one of the top 3 D-men in the NHL.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I seem to remember quite a few HI/O members (I was one) calling for PK to be signed to the max 8 years back in January.

MB should have listened.

• bwoar says:

Why pay him more for this year? Or next? There’s a cap to deal with here.

“thoroughbred”

• Cal says:

Why? If PK had been a bust (righhhhhhht) or had a so-so season, MB would not have to “open the vault.” Good for PK that he played great and improved his game by keeping it simple and making fewer errors.
        MB was not going to pay a lot for PK for 2013 or 2014, anyway. Now, for 2015, he will HAVE to.

• Habilis says:

Some fair points guys. I’ll concede that MB made the best decision for the club in the short-term.

But the “what if he had failed” arguments just don’t fly for me. Most of us here know a little about hockey and I think you would be hard pressed to find an honest fan who didn’t see this coming.

If MB had locked up PK for 8 years back in January, he could have done so for between 5 and 6 per season, which would have been a bargain by 14/15 and downright theft after that. Now he’ll have to sign PK somewhere between 7 and 8 per season. And who even knows if PK will want to go for the 8 year max?

I know it would have been bucking the trend for the Habs with regards to the whole bridge contract policy, but I felt back in January -and I certainly still feel now- that PK should have been the exception to that rule.

46. FANHABULOUS says:

SUBBAN BABY!!

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

47. Mattyleg says:

Hey all, hope everyone’s happy and doing well.

Just a question:
    Why did people think that Pitt. had a ‘stacked’ roster?
    They added two over-the hill forwards.

It just confirms what I’ve said for a long time, which is that adding people to your roster come playoff time isn’t necessarily a good idea; they’re unused to playing in your system.
    Sure they have a few games to get used to it, but unfamiliarity with the system, the coaching, the other players… all that is fine when things are going well, but when they’re not, the new addition has nothing to fall back on.

I think Shero should get the boot if anyone does; thinking that shipping in a bunch of players will guarantee him a Cup, and that if it fails, then it’s everyone else’s fault but his.

They got to the top of the East without all those additions; why change things?

… and I don’t buy the ‘the playoffs are a different game’ nonsense. Stick with what brung ya.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Steven says:

If memory serves, Iginla and Morrow(but especially Iginla) were actually doing very well until that Boston series where everyone vanished. I’d be more concerned with the team’s stars suddenly disappearing and my coach’s inability to get the team going over my GM getting some late season additions for not a whole lot.

48. Maritime Ron says:

@ Cal re your question, ..” Is Crosby done?”

Hi Cal
    Crosby should be fine.
    He was terrific this year and is one of the best talents to ever play the game.
    Perhaps there were just too many Chiefs and not enough..(can’t say-politically incorrect) on the Pens squad this spring not wanting to step on toes or upsetting a pecking order.

One thing is certain. He needs to grow up and stop the yapping and getting involved with the after whistle stuff.
    He doesn’t need that and should just skate away.
    Look at Game I and the thing with Chara.
    Stuff like that doesn’t help the bench.

He also needs to tone down his little tough guy, on ice image that he feels he needs to project.
    That is not leadership (see Datsyuk)
    Crosby has his own little edge and is not ‘pure white’ as many would make him out to be.

His slew foot on Ryan Callaghan

Or punching an opposing player while his team mate has him tied up.

…or the cheap shot Crosby elbow to the head of Nick Foligno at the 55 second mark.

His dives are also legendary.

Anyhow, there is another Crosby…David circa 1969 – plays some nice guitar, and not bad harmonies.
    …something about a Suite:Judy blue eyes

…or a ‘southern cross’…

49. sprague cleghorn says:

according to Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper:

Confirmed word out of Montreal and NY is #Canadian P.K Subban will be announced during Cup final as the winner of #NHL 2013 Norris trophy.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

50. Hobie Hansen says:

SUBBAN WINS NORRIS!

51. D Mex says:

I wonder if MB hoped for this matchup in the Cup final … He know the Hawks organization and got a good dose of the Beantown rivalry during the short season.

If the Hawks win, he might be persuaded to think that adding a little less size is OK but, if the Bs win, he will interpret that the Hawks formula would not ‘ fly ‘ (sorry) in the same conference as TO and BBs.

So, IF you want the Habs to get bigger and tougher, you might be pulling for the Bs to ensure MB doesn’t start channelling PG … Twisted, I know, but it’s still early where I am today … :-)

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

52. Cal says:

Pittsburgh is going to take a long look at their hockey operations. I am pretty certain Mario and Co. have not liked what they have seen the last 4 playoffs. Bylsma, with his loaded roster, should be kicked to the curb. Fleury should be an amnesty buy out.
    I am wondering aloud if Crosby is done.

• Cardiac says:

Crosby done? You’re joking right? Despite being shut out again the Bruins, he was still a point-a-game player. He led the league in points for the better part of the year, despite injury. I think you are being a little harsh.

Yes, he is the face of the team and their leader. But where was Malkin, Neal, Iginla, Morrow? They were all shut out too… Astounding if you think about it.

- Jerry Maguire

• Cal says:

Not harsh. He looked out of it by the time his team was eliminated. As in “concussed”. I don’t think he can take the hits any more.
        As to all the other players you mentioned- this is why Bylsma should walk the plank.

I don’t think he is done per se, however, Crosby plays a very physical game for a high end talent player. He becomes engaged physically much more than say Datsyuk, Sedin, Kane, etc…

It would truly be a shame if such an uber talented player has his peak years cut short. His competitiveness to be involved in all facets of the game may need to be curtailed or at least looked at.

• D Mex says:

There’s a bit of punk mixed with prima donna in Crosby. He wants to channel Gretzky with the low-key demeanour in front of the cameras, but then tries to make it appear he can handle the tuff stuff by challenging Chara like a precocious teenager. WTF is that ?

He should do himself a favour and try to focus on playing the game while getting those lips under control. Maybe a girlfriend would help – if Mario will allow it … :lol:

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• habs-fan-84 says:

Agree on Bylsma. He was given rockstar status after winning the cup in his first year, but he’s essentially done NOTHING since then (a few first and second round exits)…

• ebk says:

Hopefully Pittsburgh is foolish enough to think Crosby is done and moves him cheaply to his favorite team as a kid, the Montreal Canadiens.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t remember who it was, on TSN or HNIC, who remarked that Sidney Crosby looked very thin in this series, not quite healthy, which everyone agreed is most probably due to the broken jaw hampering his ability to eat the last few months.

• habs_54321 says:

crosby will be a carreer penguin i have no doubt about that but i think trading malkin this summer is as real possibility as ever before, possible destination could be colorado for the #1 pick, mackinnon would slide in with crosby as his mentor with a much more manageable rookie cap hit letting them keep iginla and the other supporting cast players.

• Cal says:

Avs are not going to trade their #1 pick for a Malkin (with his wonky knee).

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think he demonstrated in this past season that his knee is fine, not wonky.

• Cal says:

You can’t compare MacKinnon’s wear and tear to Malkin’s. Malkin has had work done more than once on it and the other is fresh as a daisy.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not comparing Nathan McKinnon to Evgeni Malkin. I’m simply saying that to refer to Mr. Malkin’s knee as wonky is inaccurate, maybe a stretch to prove a point. He proved last season that his knee is fully rehabilitated and fully functional.

If you want to compare mileage, wear and tear, potential, that’s a different conversation.

• New says:

I think if you ask any reputable player in the NHL today they will tell you that Crosby is the best player in the world. Winning teams aren’t just made up of the best player in the world and 19 others. Nor is it uncommon to see the best player in the world at any given time play on a non-championship team. Throughout the semi-finals Crosby was double and triple checked, fouled, and still got open, only to have his team mates lose the puck or make the wrong play. Many times he put the puck on a team mates stick only to see the shot not taken, rushed, or the puck passed back to him. Crosby isn’t the problem on that team but I’m pretty sure that if the Pens would like to buy him out the Habs will offer him a contract.

53. frontenac1 says:

McTavish has no class. He ripped the tongue out of Harvey The Hound Dog for Chrissakes!

Mike Weir squeezed his way into the U.S. Open as an alternate. He has played better of late, I don’t see him winning but happy to see him make the Open.

How believable is Bylsma when he says Fleury will be their number 1 goalie next season? Perhaps it won’t be Bylsma’s choice, as I wouldn’t be surprised if they make a coaching change.

• Kooch7800 says:

He would be harder to trade if they said he was a back up though ;)

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan17 says:

I would have to say his coaching in the last three playoffs leaves a lot to be desired. I think brining in so many players at the deadline messed up the chemistry. I don’t think the four players who had to sit to make room for Iginla, Morrow, Jokinen, and Murray were none too happy. I am sure they wanted to win the cup, but I would think they would want to contribute to it by playing, not sitting in the press box.

• New says:

Big changes since the Pens won the Cup. Guerin, Gill, Gonchar, Federonko, Talbot all gone, plus others. They haven’t got close since and a lot of guys are pretty sure they won’t be on the team next year each time the playoffs roll around.

I suspect Fleury is gone.

• Kooch7800 says:

Saw this on twitter and thought it was funny:

What does Dan Bylsma have in common with a hockey puck?

They’re both solidly behind Marc-Andre Fleury.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• wjc says:

I believe ‘Bylsma’. First he will be back and Fleury will find his game.

wjc

Doesn’t it seem wrong that MacTavish would fire Krueger over a skype conversation as opposed to face to face?

• mrhabby says:

he had to do it quickly to get eakins.

I suppose, just seems cold to me, but maybe i am just old fashioned.

• Psycho29 says:

So the trick is, if your boss sends you a friend request for Skype, facebook, etc, don’t accept it!

• Habfan10912 says:

Not old fashion at all Burly. Professional edict has taken a beating on many levels recently. I know of folks who have went on interview and did not even receive a courtesy call in return. Sad.

• Strummer says:

Krueger was at his residence in Switzerland so Skype would seem reasonable considering the timing and the distance ( 8 time zones).

Skype is face to face in a digital world.

Krueger probably knew he was on thin ice.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

That is MacTavish’s issue though, not Krueger’s fault. The way I see it, a guy like Krueger has spent most of his adult life working at coaching and finally gets his dream job in the NHL as a head coach, and you get fired one year later over some sketchy computer screen. MacT should have known he was looking at getting a new coach and therefore could have relieved Krueger of his duties when still in Edmonton.

However, things are changing and soon Skype will probably be considered the same as in person. Again, old fashioned on my part. If your hired in person, you should be fired in person. I doubt he was hired by Skype.

• Phil C says:

MacTavish is showing his inexperience, IMO. At least when Gainey fired Julien, he sat down with him and explained why and how he could be a better coach in the future. Sounds to me MacTavish was making it easier on himself than on Krueger.

He has already traded Hemsky and Horcoff in the media, creating a situation where it is almost impossible to bring the player back. Between him and Patrick Roy, it should be an entertaining offseason. ;-)

That being said, I think firing Krueger is the right move. Obviously MacTavish has the expertise to be a GM from a hockey perspective. I guess he will have to acquire the other skill sets required on the fly.

• mrhabby says:

promoting an ass’t coach to become the head coach is always problematic. I don’t really follow the oilers but it always seems to go that way. Much like MB..Mact is going to change the culture of that team.

• Phil C says:

Yes, promoting the Ass. Coach in Ottawa was a disaster as well.

A new GM almost always wants his own guy, so I don’t blame MacTavish for that, as you said, they want to change the culture. He just should have treated Krueger a little better. The hockey community is small, in 5 years, it might be MacTavish looking for a job from Krueger. As the saying goes, be careful of the toes you step on today as they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.

• Cal says:

Oilers are being pushed into a “hurry up and win” scenario. You hire an experienced coach for that, like Vigneault. Taking Eakins tells me they are ready to keep losing. Choosing a GM who goes public wanting to trade 2 expensive contracts demonstrates a lack of understanding. Both those players, but especially Hemsky, aren’t worth their cap hit. And McBrainiac wants a “substantial return”. Like Gillis of Vancouver, the market drops when you seek to dump a player (Luongo). Oilers are caught in a slick they can’t bs their way out of.

• Kooch7800 says:

I personally think the Horcoff contract is worse than Hemsky. Hemsky is more useful and makes 500 k less and is a UFA after next season.

Both players to me would be buyouts. The only reason he talks about moving them is they don’t want to have to buy them out and seeing if some sucker will take them. I don’t see it happening but with only one year left on his deal I could see someone taking Hemsky if they could get them for a really low pick.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• GrosBill says:

I think the Horcoff contract is definatley worse. I can not see many teams showing interest in that one.

I do think Hemsky can be dealt. I have always found Hemsky exciting to watch, the problem has always been staying healthy. Contract also short enough that a team might take a gamble on his health.

• Kooch7800 says:

It will be interesting to see what they ask for Hemsky. They can’t get greedy cause he is extremely injury prone and he is overpaid as well

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Sportfan says:

IF it was face to face on skype its kinda okay, I mean its better than getting a text no?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habfan17 says:

It is wrong to me too. Ethics and professionalism seem to have fallen by the wayside way too often.

• wjc says:

Whats the difference, face to face or skype, he is still fired either way.

wjc

• Un Canadien errant says:

Gord McTavish should ideally have sat down with him and told him face-to-face, definitely. The way he explained the dismissal, however, if he is to be believed, is that he came to the realization that he needed to make a change and find a coach that would line up better with his way of thinking, while looking for an assistant to support Mr. Krueger. So, if he was honest, and not covering up the fact that he found out Dallas Eakins was interested and scrambled to get him aboard, he didn’t have the opportunity or time for the in-person meeting.

57. commandant says:

Tommy Vannelli, a two way, American D.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

58. Maritime Ron says:

Funny tweet by the Philadelphia Flyers before it was changed and taken down.

It seems as though they placed an “s” in front of the word “hit”

Philadelphia Flyers @NHLFlyers 17h
    The date is set! On Wed. July 10, Flyers prospects will shit the beach to compete in the annual Trial on the Isle. bit.ly/1blaLQl

To which Roberto Luongo jumped in…
    Hey @nhlflyers I’m more of a #shitthebed kinda guy but I’m willing to try anything at least once….. #shitthebeach twitter.com/strombone1/sta…

—Strombone (@strombone1) 9 juin 2013

Whoever put that up in the Flyers organization must be sh*tting their pants right now

59. Habfan17 says:

I really enjoy this site. There are days when it makes me scratch my head and smile. I have seen posters suggest trades of certain players one day, and htey are told that these players are castoffs and would not be worth anything to other teams. Then the next day, when trades are propossed with the same players, the posters are chastised saying that these same players are too valuable and could get more, and that the Habs should not trade them.

Case in point is Plekanec. I suggested it was a good time to trade him since he has peaked and is in his prime. I am called on the carpet for suggesting the Habs trade their most valuable player. I am told they should trade Eller instead. Eller has accomplished more at age 23, than Pleks did. Pleks only made the Club when he was 23. On top of that Eller is 3” and 10 lbs bigger. Plekanec has never raised his game in the playoffs and lead the Habs like a Datsyuk, Alfredson, or Zetterberg.
    Some posters suggested trading White and many said no way, he just needs to mature. The Habs should not give up on him yet. White is 25. Bickell is just coming into his own at 26, yet when I suggest the Habs should trade for Beach, I am scolded with the comment that why do the Habs want a reclamation project? How is a 23 year old former 1st round pick that dealt with maturity and injury issues a reclamation project when White should be given more time? Beach has what the Habs lack and he is buried on a team with a ton of depth. I still say having him on the 4th line for now having Prust mentor him would be worth a shot. He has proven he can put up points, he hits and can srcap when needed.
    He could Take Prusts spot on the 3rd line in a couple of years or he could prove to be a late bloomer and make it to the 2nd line. Point is, players on average make the jump at age 23 to the NHL. In my opinion, Beach is not that much of a risk.

• Phil C says:

There are always different and contradictory opinions on here. It is part of what makes it interesting. I’m amazed how often someone’s opinion is 180 degrees from mine, and of course, sometimes I am the one who was out to lunch on a topic.

WRT Plekanec, I thought he was pretty strong in the 2010 playoffs, setting up some timely goals and shutting down Crosby. He could definitely be a part of a Cup winning team. I’m not opposed to trading any player if the price is right. That is where the debate gets tricky.

I think if the Habs are going to trade Plekanec, I think the greater need is on defense. If they could get a big,young, reliable, physical defenseman to be paired with Subban for the next decade, it would go a long way to building a Championship team. A goalie like Price deserves a strong group of defensemen to leverage the most out of his abilities. I would consider moving Plekanec for such a player.

• Habfan17 says:

I agree with you, right now there are a couple of potential left wings available as UFA’s so if they could get equal value in return, a defenceman would be nice. I was shaking my head when I read Dallas gave Gonchar 2 years at $5 million per. Would that not equate to a first round, or at the very least a high second round pick as compensation? I for one am very surprised a year, maybe 2 years at $2.5 million maybe. If the CBA has not changed, and Gonchar doesn’t play well and retires, they are still on the hook for his whole salary. I would think they could have gotten someone younger and less risky!

• Phil C says:

I think it shows how little is available for defensemen on the open market. Teams are desperate.

I agree, I think it is a very risky move. Nill must have level of comfort with older defensemen after his experience with Lidstrom. But Gonchar is not that good, so it will be interesting. He was awful in Ottawa the first year he was there.

• wjc says:

Phil C, if only they could find a Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, or Ellis, to pair with Subban, but where do you find these big mobile guys….WHERE???

Ywjc

• ont fan says:

I have no problem with trading Pleks, but you always want someone that is out of reach, a roster player. Your trades or signings are usually Malkin, Clarkson or Bickell. Trading a Pleks, will generally bring you a draft pick or prospects, it will be to a contender. Your trades are for now. We aren’t really contenders so that’s not going to happen. We have to draft the Clarksons or Bickells, because they aren’t interested in coming here. Just my take on your transactions.

• Habfan17 says:

I have never suggested trading Pleks for Malkin. I did say that it would be nice if MB could sign Bickell as a UFA maybe Clarkson too, although I have mostly said, I would rather move Bourque back to right wing where he has had more success ( twice scoring 27 goals), and sign either Stalberg or Bickell.

The last trade, which was suggested by one person was undervalued, was Pleks for Beach and a 2nd round pick this year. It may be a tad undervalue, so get a 4th rounder too. The point was that beach would bring something the Habs do not have in the system and Beach seems to have his head where it needs to be now and the Hawks have a ton of depth on the left side. Heck, if the Hawks would do it, I would say swap Holland for Beach, but I doubt that would work.

I have no idea who wants to come to Montreal and who doesn’t. No one does until an offer is made. I believe we will see more interest in coming here now that Bergevin and Molson have turned things around and invested so much in player development and scouting.

• ont fan says:

History shows we can’t get homegrown players to come back, other teams seem to. UFA’s have tons of options, coming to Montreal is way down the list. That’s a problem. Getting players past their prime, seems useless to me. Diaz, DD, White, Moen or Gorges are not going to bring in the kind of players we are proposing in trades around here.

• Habfan17 says:

It has been a problem from time to time, but they did get Cammalleri, Cole, Gionta, and a few others. As far as the players you mentioned, young teams that need to add some experience that isn’t over the hill would have an interest in my opinion. Diaz, DD, and Gorges are all under 28 with Gorges being the oldest. They keep saying that dfencemen take longer to reach their prime, early 30′s so why would teams not want them if they would have the right mix?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Habfan, don’t take it too hard when posters tweak your nose at some of your trade ideas, it’s part of the lively conversation that makes this site fun. Some people express themselves strongly, and as long as they’re not abusive we have to live with that.

Some may be responding to the sheer number of trades you propose, that might be fun to contemplate, but sometimes are heavily skewed toward the Canadiens, and try the patience of others who want to live in the ‘here and now’.

As for the Kyle Beach trade, I actually think he’s a great candidate for the Canadiens to target, for the reasons you list. He has size and talent/potential, but for whatever reason has not yet panned out in Chicago. He’s stuck on the farm, and on the depth chart behind other beefy forwards on the ‘Hawks. These are the players that I think we should target, as I’ve posted before:

These guys, who are stuck at the bottom of their team’s depth chart at least partially due to circumstances, are who we need to target in trades, and this goes for big wingers too. There are probably quite a few of these languishing in the minors of their respective teams, big teams like the Sharks or Kings or Blues who are replete with sizeable forwards. These buried players, who might now be thought of as never panning out, might if transplanted on the Canadiens have lots of opportunity to grow into a vacant role, and shine.

(http://relentlessineptitude.blogspot.ca/2013/06/should-canadiens-trade-for-jeff-schultz.html)

So yeah, not that Kyle Beach is a world-beater right now, but that’s why I think he’s the kind of player we can trade for at a reasonable cost, and who brings a skillset which is completely lacking on the team and in the organization right now.

One fly in the ointment is that with Brian Bickell playing himself into an ever bigger contract, maybe he’ll leave Chicago, and they may want to hold on to Mr. Beach and see if he can seize the opportunity.

60. HabFanSince72 says:

Chicago built their team by tanking. They had top three picks for three years. On top of that they displayed managerial incompetence by forgetting to fax contracts to the league on time, thus losing important players.

On the other hand the Bruins never tanked. Their team has been built through shrewd drafting and dealing, the way it should be.

However, for the sake of decency, justice, truth and beauty, GO HAWKS GO!

• Maritime Ron says:

There may be a little more to the Hawks build than just those few years.

- Patrick Sharp was a robbery trade from Philly
      – Former Norris winner Duncan Keith was drafted 54th overall in 2002
      – Crawford was drafted 52nd overall in 2003
      – Hjalmarsson was drafted 108th overall in 2005
      – Hossa was signed as a UFA
      – Seabrook was chosen 14th overall in 2003
      – Bickell was chosen 41st overall in 2004

By the way, the only 1st overall pick thay have is Kane in 2007. Toews was 3rd overall in 2006 when Eric Johnson and Jordan Staal were chosen ahead of Toews

• commandant says:

The Bruins drafted Phil Kessel 5th overall (The guy they traded to get Seguin and Hamilton).

They also had another top 10 pick who busted completely in Zach Hamil.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• wjc says:

When you use the term “tanking” am I to assume you mean losing on purpose? Tanking is an interesting term that implies that a team lost on purpose.

Players would have to be in on it, as well as coaches. The owner would have to tolerate finishing out of the playoffs and finishing last which would effect his profits.

Would players lose on purpose so that good draft choices would take their jobs. Would coaches lose on purpose so their resumes look like they cannot win. Would fans figure it out and stay away.

Tanking should be replaced with rebuilding with youth who are not ready to win because they lack maturity.

Wish people would stop talking about tanking like it is a strategy and realize that sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward.

wjc

• ont fan says:

I don’t think tanking means losing on purpose. Management can move players that will bring futures instead of keeping them for a few points now. Icing a young, inexperienced team like Edmonton is like tanking to me.

• wjc says:

That used to be called ‘rebuilding’. Tanking implies losing on purpose to get favorable draft picks. Rebuilding implies trading older players for youth, prospects and draft choices and giving the team a future to look forward to.

wjc

• Habfan17 says:

I’ll bet that Ottawa wishes they had made Chiarelli their GM instead of letting him go.

Habfan17

Chiarelli has turned out excellent no doubt, but Murray has done a great job in Ottawa. Ottawa’s problem was allowing Muckler to screw up the Chara situation.

• Habfan17 says:

Sorry, wasn’t dissing Murray, he has really done well. It does show that recycling guys like Muckler don’t always work! Burke certainly didn’t do much to help Toronto.

Habfan17

Don’t be sorry we are just sharing opinions bud.

• wjc says:

I think ‘Burke’s work was starting to show results. The only problem was new management did not like someone, so outspoken and doing the whole tie thing. Like look professional. But his hockey moves were/are starting to pay off.

wjc

61. Cal says:

You were expecting I’d be picking Boston? Chicago is My Kind of Team

62. Bash says:

My bet is already in place for a Chicago win!
    Solid D and goaltending, size up front and a couple of true leaders.

+ I hate Boston so they can’t win…

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

63. Would like to see MB signed Torres, Cooke & Fistric. Make a multiple player trade to acquire a good goal scorer.

64. MC4Ever says:

Pittsburghs biggest problem was behind their Blue line. Defense so, so. Goaltending left something to be desired. and their offense couldn’t beat rask that sums it up …

65. Dulljerk says:

Boston in 6. place your bets.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

66. Can’t believe I voted for Boston.

Hate those freakin guys. I hope Boston’s success makes Montreal a better team, and by that I mean it upsets players enough to actually play hockey the entire season.

Pft Bruins! Montreal made them look silly all season long and they’re in the SCF……..frack!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

• Sportfan says:

Very upsetting to think we could handle them but other teams can’t and we are the “small” team lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Nick. Regular season hockey is NOT playoff hockey. The game is much different. If we could not handle the Senators, we would not be able to handle the Bruins. Sad for me to admit.

• Kooch7800 says:

Nail on the head Jim. Until the ref’s call the game in both the reg season and playoffs you have to build your team to win in the playoffs and just make the post season in the reg season.

How many of the past president trophy winners have went on to win the cup……not many. Hopefully Chi town can do it this year though

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• wjc says:

Regular season is different from playoffs. Regular season is just warm up. Games move up a notch in playoffs, you have to have that next gear.

Teams get tougher, more aggressive, more serious, you better have some size or you will be knocked out of playoffs fast…..like let me see…..like….oh yea….Montreal.

wjc

67. NTTIAWWT says:

Go Chicago!

68. Strummer says:

Happy 43rd Andre Racicot!
    How’s that sunburn on the back of your neck?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

69. Strummer says:

Greg Sherman is the GM in Colorado.
    Seeing as they finished last and got the first pick in this year’s draft,
    Is it a “Sherman Tank”?
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

70. SlovakHab says:

Talking about Mads Eller – he’s draft eligible in 3 weeks.
    6-7th rounder? :)

71. 3 weeks to draft day!!!! Looking forward to it. Lets see how MB & CO. are going to make a difference in their picks selection.

72. Hobie Hansen says:

My hunch is the the Boston forwards will be able to overwhelm the Chicago defense and the Bruin defense will be able to get a handle on Kane, Toews and company.

Would have liked to see the Kings and Bruins in the finals in order to see two mammoth teams collide. That would have been a battle for the ages.

The finals still look great, it should be close, but if I had to chose I’d put my money on Boston.

• Habfan17 says:

I am hoping you are wrong, I can’t stand the thought of Boston winning

• habstrinifan says:

I think and hope.. you are in for a surprise. Chicago will be more structured than Pitts for sure and have much deeper scoring talent than Leafs. Chicago wil be fine.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree that Chicago is a more formidable opponent than the Penguins. It’s just whacky why Pittsburgh can’t tighten up and play a better game, consistently, at both ends of the ice.

I think Chicago will be fine as well. They have a very dynamic team. Like I said though, I think the way the Bruins are playing, firing on offense, plus the size and toughness of their defense, and Rask, have a slight edge to take Chicago in six or seven.

I wouldn’t be shocked in the slightest if Chicago won it though! But if I had to lay money down…

• habstrinifan says:

Understand and totally agree with you regarding how invincible Bruins looked against Pittsburgh.

But I think Pitsburgh’s ‘disarray’ and lack of structure opened the door wide for Boston to shine and feel extremely confident.
          Remember Boston against Toronto. Same team just different restrictions on their play.
          Chicago will not be like Pittsburgh.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Good point for sure. The scary or disappointing part might be that Toronto has a pretty good team going forward.

I think a lot will ride on who’s healthy and who’s not on both teams in the finals. It looks to me that Lucic, Horton, Krejci, Marchand and Bergeron are 100% healthy.

I think the Bruins defense, their top four or five, is healthy. There are some big bodies back there who are letting Rask see everything and pounding people into the boards at the same time.

So if the Bruins have lots of jump and are feeling good, I must, after careful consideration, give the nod to Boston.

• wjc says:

Salary cap…….too much money up front means you have to skimp on the back end. So unfair, but it keeps anybody from becoming a dynasty, including Montreal…..When you have to live on a budget, decisions have to be made that you may not want to make.

wjc

• Marc10 says:

Stranger things have happened. I didn’t think it would be possible for Boston to win their last cup…

That said, I think the key to success for the Hawks is to neutralise Bergeron. Shut him down and you shut down a whole line.

The Hawks have beaten Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Quick. I think they can handle Rask and the Bruins D can look quite ordinary against a speedy attack.

Hawks in 6.

73. Habfan17 says:

Oilers set to announce Eakins as new head coach. I wonder if Gillis is pissed.

• Ktowner says:

Can’t help but wonder if he is thinking Dan Bylsma will become available………..

• habstrinifan says:

Lindy Ruff!!!!!!!!!!!!! Book it Dano!

• Habfan17 says:

Well, that could very well be. He seems to do well during the regular season and not very well in the playoffs. Although I may give him a gimme this season. Bringing in 4 new players, two of which were captains, can be disruptive. Think of the 4 players that lost their spots. That has to sting, even if they did win the cup.