Current and former Habs get into Grand Prix weekend

Canadiens forward Brandon Prust took part in the Canadian Grand Prix party scene, attending a cocktail party sponsored by McLaren on the Friday before the race along with his girlfriend, French TV host Marie-Pierre Morin.

“This is my first Grand Prix so it’s pretty fun,” Prust, shown in photo above with girlfriend Morin (centre) and Anne-Marie Withenshaw at the Ritz-Carlton Grand Prix event. “She knows everybody, so I’m being introduced to everybody.”

Teammate Lars Eller also attended the event at the Ritz-Carlton.

“This is definitely a pretty extraordinary (party),” said Eller, who brought along his younger brothers Mads (who plays junior hockey in Denmark) and Michael, who were in town visiting for the weekend. “I don’t get to see them very often being here 10 months a year, so it’s nice to show them a good time. Everyone’s having a good time and are friendly.”

Former Canadien Patrice Brisebois attended Sunday’s Grand Prix race, which fell on the 20th anniversary of the Habs’ last Stanley Cup championship, which Brisebois was part of.

“I remember we stayed in the Forum until maybe three o’clock in the morning, drinking champagne,” Brisebois told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. “We were so high on emotion, you couldn’t believe it.

“I don’t remember if I slept that night. All those years … the sacrifices, the people who helped you — family, friends, girlfriends, they all supported and helped you to finally reach your goal.

“You’re a kid and you say, ‘One day I want to make it in the NHL.’ And then, when you’re there, you think, ‘One day, I want to win the Stanley Cup.’

“Growing up, watching the Canadiens, the Stanley Cup parades, you’re saying, ‘One day, I hope that maybe that’s me.’ And then it is. The parade was one of the most beautiful days in my life. It was outstanding.”

(Photo by Peter McCabe/The Gazette)

Athletes fill in for Hollywood actors at Grand Prix parties, by Suzanne Wexler

Brisebois spends 20th anniversary of Cup win at Grand Prix, by Dave Stubbs

Hawks and Kings gave us Hockey Unleashed, by Jack Todd

1. JF says:

Roland Melanson says he would like to return to Montreal and thinks that his return would help Price. But he coached Price during the Centennial season, and it was in the second half of that season that Price’s game fell apart completely. Price certainly struggled at the end of the season, but I doubt Melanson would be the one to help him.

• Habfan17 says:

Price seemed to play his best when he was being coached by Kolzig. Maybe they should hire him.

Habfan17

• Habfan10912 says:

Jane, I wonder if these comments to Mr. Stubbs may have disqualified him?

Dave_Stubbs (Dave Stubbs): Melanson on #Habs ex G coach Groulx: “He wanted to be (Price’s) friend. … A goalie wants results, you’re not there to be his friend”

• Les Canayens says:

Yeah with Rollie Melanson Price seemed to went down on his knees even more often than now.

So Bettman is hopeful he doesn’t have to attend every game of the Cup Finals. :)

Looking forward to having some hockey to watch tomorrow night. Then once that is over, we can find out just how carefully MB listened to all of us. DD, Diaz and Moen for Malkin is going to be awesome!

Morning everyone.

4. PrimeTime says:

Role the Goalie!! Lol. also note towards the end of the article it also alludes to Price being replaced by Buddy in game 5….. No mention Price was injured. Check the stats Rolie and you’ll see how much Price improved since your azz was thrown out. The crap people say is not news, only gossip passed off to be relevant….the downside of the web!

5. JayK-47 says:

I can ask HIO a favor? When we float trade rumors, add grist to the mill, explore market theories, BS, can we change it up a lil and NOT swap position for position. Maybe we can explore fair market prices also. Lemme give a couple examples:

1) Team 1 has a logjam of 4 centers that could populate the 1st and 2nd lines, do they REALLY need to trade a center for another center off team 2?

2) Team 1 wants to trade for a marquee player off team 2. We’ve seen several players of that ilk move for a roster player, prospect and draft pick or 2. Does Team 1 really need to offer several players, their all-star goalie and all their draft picks for a nominal upgrade?

3) Team 1 finally has a big body left wing who can score after a 20 year absence. And he’s proven he can it for a couple of seasons, has a very cap friendly contract that proves his awesome allegiance and we’re not even mentioning his super healing powers. Why would he be part, PART of a package to get a draft pick. WHY???????????????????

4) All of the above, just replace with goalie. WHY????????????????????

5) I hate you’s.

6. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Rolie the Goalie Coach says that Price has been in steady decline, and once again hints that he is lazy. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425170

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Fake says:

I’m glad that someone noticed.

• Exit716 says:

Rollie should worry about the joke of a goaltending situation he has created in Vancouver. Schneider flopped as the number one and no team wants Luongo who has regressed to the point of embarrassment since Melanson came on board. Glass houses Rollie.

• Harditya says:

Exactly what I was thinking. Coming from a person that can’t stop Luongo and Schneider from deteriorating.

• Clay says:

Don’t kid yourself man – Vancouver’s goaltending is/was not the issue. Their problems run much deeper, and Luongo had a decent season. I’d be willing to bet that a lot of teams would take a chance at Luongo if it weren’t for his $10 million a year salary. That’s a toxic contract in the salary cap era. I’d say it’s a testament to his skill that some teams are even thinking about getting him (as the Leafs and Isles certainly were).

__________________________
        ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• Un Canadien errant says:

Inaccurate. Roberto is set to earn $6.7M this season and next, and his cap hit is a very manageable $5.3M, comparable to other frontline goalies. The issue with Roberto has been his uneven playoff performances in recent seasons, and the length of his contract.

7. PrimeTime says:

Would of, Could of, Should of. The genius and hyperbole of a fan. Too bad GM’s aren’t as intelligent as the posers here purport to be.

8. Adidess says:

@The_Truth

Chara had an ordinary regular season, by his standards or by Norris nominee standards. He’s been dominant in the playoffs, but that doesn’t come into play for Norris, as you know.

Unless you’re saying players like Chara, Lidstrom (when he was playing) and Shea Weber should be nominated every year for who they are, regardless of performance in a given year, then I guess that’s a case you could make. I think Norris candidates need to earn their nomination every season, based on both defensive and offensive contributions to their teams.

9. The_Truth says:

I love PK and he is the best player on the Habs, no question. He is worthy of the Norris, but to be honest, if there is one Dman I would want in a 7 game series, it would be Chara. He is a beast on defense and is everything you would want for your #1 dman.

Since Lidstrom’s retirement, Chara is the man. At least for now.

His offensive numbers are not as flashy, but no defenseman is as valuable as he is in this league. To think he wasn’t even nominated this year, goes to show how much the powers that be know.

• Marc10 says:

He was very ordinary this season… caught flat footed on many occasions. Sorry. He didn’t deserve a nomination. If the playoffs counted, you’d have a case.

I still hate him irrespective of his play. He’s a gigantic arse and deserves a thumping. We should clone Shaquille ONeill, get our clone some size 22 skates and some boxing lessons, and set him loose on Big Z. That or one of the Pacific Rim robots…

10. Adidess says:

Didn’t think I would feel so invested in a Finals that doesn’t involve the Habs since I have only watched on and off following the Ottawa-Mtl series and sticking with Western games for the most part. Now I’m feeling like the future of the brand of hockey I like hangs in the balance of this finals match-up.

I’m hoping to see Boston go out in 4 or 5 and not get anywhere near the Cup. The last thing I want in this copycat league is to have teams start to think they need their own Marchand to be irritating to other teams and win and then start grooming young players to be like Marchand. That would greatly affect my personal enjoyment of the game of hockey.

People talk about PK’s antics sometimes. PK couldn’t get away with one tenth of what that guy does on the ice. But Marchand gets praised across the board for ‘being a pain in the butt’. Go figure!

if PK indeed won the Norris, Bergevin has zero bargaining power… none whatsoever. He is an idiot for f%^&ing with PK during the last negotiations trying to save a buck and now he will have to pay whatever Subban’s camp demands on someone else will. I have a bad feeling that Bergevin will screw this one up. Just like he did so many other things this year.

• habs_54321 says:

yes but he will have to prove again next year that he is a top defender, and if he does we will be putting our money on someone who actually earned it. we won’t be paying gomez 7 million it will be pk and i am totally ok with that

• Timo says:

I am ok with paying PK 7, 8 ,10 whatever million. It is not my money. I am just afraid that given Bergevin’s first go at negotiating with Subban he will screw up the negotiations and Subban will get snatched by some other team… say the Bruins?

• Mark C says:

So MB is a idiot, yet your suggesting that Boston could offer sheet Subban for north of $7M in 2014-15. Ok.

• Timo says:

Are you saying Subban is not worth 7M year?

• Mark C says:

Nope, I’m saying the Bruins won’t have the cap space to afford Subban without making some extreme moves. You also have to assume MB wouldn’t match and Boston would be willing to pay Subban more than Chara.

• habs_54321 says:

if pk wins the norris this season and continues playing top defender quality hockey next year why not give him the money he deserves? we had him on a steal deal for the past seasons and this coming season why not put our ducks in a row and invest our money in someone who can repay the favour and perform up to expectations? i am sick of having guys like the gomez’s and the kaberle’s of the world sitting on fat unworthy contracts simply because we have noone else to give the money to, even price was paid 6.5 mil and he did nothing to earn it other than be a last place teams starting goalie.

.. yes maybe we coulda had pk signed to a long term cheaper deal and saved a couple million p/year but maybe his breakout season wouldn’t have been the same maybe the hunger to prove his worth was what actually triggered the breakout.

• vancouverite says:

Timo, you are such an idiot !
          And thank goodness you’re not the GM.

• Adidess says:

Remember when PK was supposed to prove his stellar performance in the 2010 playoffs (as a rookie with no NHL game under his belt) was no fluke…

Remember when PK was supposed to prove he could be better than Diaz on the Canadiens PowerPlay.

We should admit it, PK won’t get cheaper with or without a Norris trophy. Somebody will pay him around $7M per for his next contract. We just hope the Habs don’t screw it up!

• Mark C says:

If a $110 offer sheet doesn’t work on a small market club I’m not sure it work on Montreal. MB has more than enough bargaining power to get a fair market deal done with Subban.

You have a very negative and unrealistic view on this situation.

• The Dude says:

Move Price and give PK his $ 6.5 mil per ………..

• Un Canadien errant says:

Timo, I’ve told you a hundred thousand million times, try to keep some sense of proportion.

You say that Marc Bergevin “has zero bargaining power… none whatsoever”. Well, based on the fact that P.K. is under contract for another full season, at which point he’ll still be a restricted free agent, and that Marc Bergevin is the GM of P.K.’s childhood favourite team, I think the former has some bargaining power, no?

There’re Chicken Littles on both side of the P.K. divide. There were those who stated that Michel Therrien and Marc Bergevin were going to ruin him, but now that he’s had his best season, and has largely fulfilled his promise, now they’ve changed their tune and claim that Marc & Mike’s great sin was to not shower him with money when there was no need to.

I’ll restate that the Canadiens obviously handled P.K. the right way, gave him more direction, discipline and leadership than he was used to, and he positively thrived in that environment. And now we have an All-Star defenceman and we will have to pay him as such. That’s not a bad place to be.

———————————————————————–

@UCe, perhaps Pacman Jones will slap his lawyers ass and finally go back to jail?

13. JayK-47 says:

Eff u Don Cherry you old racist f#ck, Eff u.

14. frontenac1 says:

Nice!! Way to go PK!!!

15. jphk says:

If PK has indeed won the Norris, this is a huge. It has been awhile since a Habs has won some gear. Congrats PK, and we hope for a few more in this uniform!

Interesting question posed by this blogger. Is the KHL becoming a threat to the NHL?

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think there’s any threat.
      He talks about ‘European’ players, but I’m pretty sure that there aren’t many Swedes who will go to play in Russia if their welcome wears out in the NHL. Same goes for lots of Europe.

If washed-up Russians want to go back home to play in the KHL, then fair enough. If certain younger players find transitioning to North America too difficult, and want to be closer to home and their culture, that’s fine too.

If the NHL considers that it is ‘missing out’ on great players, so be it, I think. The NHL was doing just fine during the Cold War. I don’t honestly think that too many people would be lining up to go the Brent Sopel route and play in Novokuznetsk.
      Google it. There ain’t nothing there, between Kazahkstan and Monolia…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Komarov was a nice role player for Toronto, not washed up and old. I am not saying a big threat yet, but some players are choosing it.

• jphk says:

I think if the KHL were to create the equivalent of a European Super League, that could be an alternative. However,m the way professional sports is organized in Europe (i.e. National Federation as opposed to a Premier EU League), it will remain a second tier option, except whne comparing with playing for the Laffs, of course :)

17. Un Canadien errant says:

Schadenfreude: Steve Simmons says the Bruins might have taken Justin Pogge instead of Tuukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

And the Toronto Sun could have hired a real sports journalist too…

18. Un Canadien errant says:

As far as being let go on Skype goes, sometimes being fired in person isn’t the best way either. I got a phone call relatively late one night from my direct superior, asking that we hold our weekly one-on-one in his boss’ office. Now normally, this would have been fine, we’d done this a number of times before, had a pretty open org structure and lines of communication, we’d talk strategy and long-term plans with the Director. Except this time, as I explained to him, it wouldn’t be possible, since a colleague and I were running a course the next morning, and I reminded him that I’d sent him a meeting cancellation notice a couple weeks before.

My boss hemmed and hawed, then told me, in an embarrassed tone of voice, that my colleague would need to run the course on his own, and that it was important I attend the Director’s office instead.

The penny dropped. It wasn’t a huge shock, we were doing organizational development work, which wasn’t crucial to the business in strict dollars and cents terms, we were in fact a cost centre. We’d been cutting costs, slashing the work force, through attrition and layoffs, and I’d been in charge of supporting those being let go, calculating their severances in many instances, weathering charges that maybe I was being too generous in most cases. Anyway, like I said, it shouldn’t have been a surprise that now our team was being cut down.

So I had to spend a night waiting to get laid off, with the girlfriend all upset and sleep hard to come by. They treated me really fairly, and I landed on my feet, so no harm done, and I still see my former bosses all the time, since this is a small town, but in that case, the insistence on doing such a major move in person actually caused more stress than if it had been done over the phone.

———————————————————————–

• ClutchNGrab says:

Spending a night knowing what’s coming must be one of the worst feeling. I wish you the best for the future.

• Habfan17 says:

Being laid off is never easy. I was laid off while I was in the middle of escorting people to their cars during a mass layoff, people who had been working for the company up to 25 years. People who I’d known for the 10 years I was there. It was tough.

I also landed on my feet and it ended up being for the best. Later, my responsibilities included letting people go and condusting layoffs.

I will say that letting someone go by Skype is still wrong as was what your colleague did. Since he knew two weeks early that you were running a course, they should have planned to meet with you before or within a few days after. There was no need to call you at home and upset you. Yes, either way, it would be tough. People deserve to be told in person with as much consideration as possible.

These GM’s think nothing about hoping on a flight to go convince a player that they should sign as a free agent with their team, MacT should have flown over to deliver the news in person and show Kreuger the respect he deserved.

Habfan17

19. habs_54321 says:

it’s a good thing we have subban under contract next season he will have a chance to prove this season wasn’t an aberration, if next season he proves he can play at an elite calibre for a full schedule i say why not break the bank on him (6.5-7.5) at least the money will be invested in a home grown product that is producing, We have had enough highly paid players that do nothing that i don’t think it’s a bad thing to have a highly paid player who can actually earn his paycheck.

20. Bill says:

@Ed: Great post regarding the refs vs the “whiners”, could not agree more. Let the hockey players play hockey!

21. Small_Town_Boy says:

@ HabinBurlington

I did not say fire MB But he has screwed up twice so far…

Dat’s wha me tinks

22. Bill says:

@ont fan: how right can you be? This site is full of hindsight psychics. They are shameless. The guys pumping PK’s tires now were the ones saying he should be traded four months ago.

Lets look back in a year at all the guys saying we should sign Bickell and how his performance looks with a huge contract!

• habstrinifan says:

I am gonna take you up on the Bickell thing since I have to stand up and be counted as one of those say ing we should get Bickell.

Now I am not saying anything like $6 mill etc. I would start high enough to have him dwell on it and watch (listen) to the market and up the ante if it stays within reason.

But I will risk being wrong here. I’ve seen too much to think Bickell wont be a very solid power forward with more impactthan his individual numbers.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I was hoping for Bickell too but at Prust money; not what he is going to get now from some idiot GM.

23. habstrinifan says:

If P.K does indeed win the Norris, I am making sure I watch coaches’ corner.

24. Un Canadien errant says:

To continue our news roundup, we now have Pacman Jones arrested for slapping/punching a woman outside a bar. Guess what: it wasn’t his fault, he says.

There’s a man in a wheelchair today because of Pacman Jones, a punk who threw money around in a strip club to ‘make it rain’, then tried to pick it up afterwards, caused a brawl, and eventually he or someone in his posse came back and shot a doorman in the back.

No, he doesn’t quite get the point of making it rain, which is to show that you have so much money you can fling it up in the air like you just don’t care.

Like I said, the man is a punk, and should have gone to jail long ago.

• habstrinifan says:

Pacman belongs in jail. But I always thought the reference to ‘make it rain’ had something to do with him urinating in public… hence public indeency. Guess I was wrong.

25. habstrinifan says:

Question #1 Has this year’s playoffs been the year of the coach.
    Meaning coaching has been more important than in recent
    past playoffs.
    Question #2 Who has been the best coach in the playoffs so far?Question #3 Who has been the worst coach in the playoffs so far?

26. Chuck says:

If Subban wins the Norris, the conspirasist in me will think that it’s just a way to screw an up-and-coming Canadiens team on their cap hit in a couple of years. ;)

27. Un Canadien errant says:

Eric Duhatschek thinks Dustin Penner and Rob Scuderi will be free agents, and Jonathan Bernier will be traded, great grist for the mill here at HIO.