Cunneyworth, Ladouceur join Habs coaching staff

Cunneyworth

The Canadiens announced Friday morning that Randy Cunneyworth and Randy Ladouceur will join the club as assistant coaches for the 2011-12 National Hockey League season.

Cunneyworth, as head coach, and Ladouceur, as his assistant, led the Bulldogs to the American Hockey League North Division championship last season with a 44-27-2-7 record for 97 points. The Bulldogs reached the Western Conference final before losing in seven games to the Houston Aeros.

“We are very pleased to have both Randy Cunneyworth and Randy Ladouceur joining our coaching staff,” Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier said in a news release. “This duo did a tremendous job in their first year with the Hamilton Bulldogs last season. Their experience, dedication and hard work will inevitably contribute to the development of our young players which is a key factor to the success of our team.

“We have already started our preparation for the upcoming season and we welcome both Randy Cunneyworth and Randy Ladouceur as the newest members of our coaching staff.”

Before joining the Bulldogs, Cunneyworth was an assistant coach with the NHL’s Atlanta Thrashers for two seasons (2008-09 and 2009-10). He previously spent nine seasons with the AHL’s Rochester Americans, including seven seasons as head coach from 2000 to 2008. During his tenure with the Americans, he led his team to three 40-plus win seasons, two 100-point seasons and six playoff berths.

Cunneyworth and Ladouceur will work under head coach Jacques Martin.

Gauthier also announced that Clement Jodoin will take over as head coach of the Bulldogs. In 2010-11, Jodoin completed his fourth season as head coach of the Rimouski Oceanic in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. During his four-year tenure as head coach, the Oceanic posted a 140-112-8-5 record in 265 regular season games.

Jodoin also played one season with the Concordia University Stingers in 1973-74, scoring eight goals and seven assists in 30 games.

1. cvfvghghgf says:

Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF
    COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34
    Paypal accept,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you
    ur friends’adress by EMS,DHL,UPs
    click my link under here!

2. RetroMikey says:

In my opinion, Cunneyworth is an excellent mentor and will be more of a valuable asset as an assistant coach than Muller.
    Muller is still green IMO.
    Wish the guy well in Milwaukee but he’s got a long way to go before coaching in the NHL ranks.
    Cunneyworth deserves a shot more than Muller.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

3. Stretch says:

With these two joining the coaching staff, I see it at a clear sign that the organization will want to manage and develop the younger players on the roster more proactively, something Martin is weak at. I would not be surprised if there will not be another signing before training camp, and 2 or 3 players from the group of Diaz, Yemelin, Palushaj, Engqvist, Mitera, Nash, etc. will have legit chances of making the roster and sticking. Those that do make it will be handled properly by the assistants so that they grow to their potentials and make significant contributions, thus saving the cap space for later in the season as needed.

4. Tony McLean says:

Which one of them has a strategy to make Chara play hurt, angry and scared?

Jaroslav Halak: “…a playoff hero in a town that hasn’t had too many playoff heroes of late. ” – Arpon Basu 20.7.11

• pat s says:

I like Cunneyworth/Ladoucer. The question is will they get along with Martin. I think Cunneyworth/Martin have different hockey philosophies. This could go very well or it’s the calm before the storm. Cunneyworth prefers a more in your face hockey style, not this play nice hockey style.

5. moester says:

I like the addition. I have met and talked to Ladouceur a couple of times, and he is really passionate about the game. He’s the type of guy that stops and gives pointers to kids playing a pick-up game in his hometown (how I met him incidentally) when he was still playing in the NHL full-time.

I doubt that the last few years he spent coaching have reduced his passion and enthusiasm at all. I definitely see him as a potential NHL head coach in a couple of years.

6. Gindan69 says:

Capgeek says georges is UFA next summer. I see him walking because there just won’t be much more than the 2.5 offered this year available when you factor in price and Subban sucking up the remaining cap space and gill and spaceks cap space between them. Unless gomez is moved for less cap, goerges is the odd man out. He couldn’t go to arb having had 1/3 of a season and expected to win. 2.5 for x years was probably the offer on the table and his camp was rumored at wanting 3.5-4 long term. With PG not budging, they chose 1 year and the option of walking for more than 4 on July 1st. Barring some major cap moves, the writing is on the wall.

7. I would have liked to see Gorges locked into a long term deal.

8. savethepuck says:

Nice to know our management is working this late on a Friday in a heat wave. Habs are all business.

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

9. A. Berke says:

2.5 mil for 1 year.
    IMO makes sense,
    the amount is just about right and the term is probably due to the fact that the team wants to see if Josh would be 100% recovered or not.

Of course at the end of the year Gorges may not even get a new contract depending on the forthcoming CBA & how the Defensive prospects in the farm are coming along.
    As said in another thread, there will be two major contracts to consider for next year for PK and Price.
    Also me thinks even if Gomer is gone by next year, his and Spatches salaries may be barely enough to cover the above two contracts. Accordingly, the next question will be from where the money needed to get a real forward (centre?) to replace Gomer is going to come from? Hence it’s possible that Gorges may be gone next year and a replacement from the Dawgs may be brought up for much less money.

Ali B.

10. joeybarrie says:

5 million in cap space give us alot of options for mid season. I have a pretty good feeling about this season.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

11. showey47 says:

I like the gorges deal,especially the lower then expected cap hit.

So we avoid arbitration but have to wonder if talks weren’t going well and they just settled on this, he must be rfa next year to agree to this I would think.

• GenerationYHabs says:

I was thinking that exact same thing. He might have just settled for this lower offer that he’s not happy about just to avoid arbitration and what would be a really awkward season. This way he will be able to test the waters next year.

13. Gindan69 says:

The roster is set with about 5 million to spare. Plenty of space for some optional muscle on the 4th line. That’s all that is missing now. Stay healthy and this team is a major threat.

14. Gindan69 says:

Confirmed by multiple twitter posters, 1 yr/2.5. Is he RFA or UFA next summer? Going to be expensive either way with price and Subban having to be long termed, but spacek, gill come off the books.

15. GenerationYHabs says:

Kind of makes you wonder about what PG’s original offer was if Gorges ended up settling for 2.5 mil

Tsn confirms 2.5 1yr

17. Cookies says:

What??? I think I just heard on RDS that Gorges signed a 1 year ±2.5M deal??

18. adam76 says:

Josh Gorges. 1 yr, $2.5 mil

sounds fair

19. priceberg says:

Gorges 1 year deal 2.5 I’m pissed only 1 year

20. daveho29 says:

Good to Randy Cunneyworth move up to the big club. At least now I’ll have something else to talk to his brother about, over a few pints, when I see him at the local brew pub.

And possibly score some tickets the next time they’re playing in Vancouver

21. BKAK72 says:

Thumbs down on the “Jets” (new) logo. Nothing really original when you use a Maple Leaf (that’s Toronto) and an outdated image of a fighter plane. I would have worked around with the letter “W” (much like the Canadiens or Boston), possibly take a lead from the NY Rangers i.e. Jets (home) and Winnipeg (road).

To be honest I find most of the post-67 expansion team symbols to be boring, lacking imagination. Perhaps the exception is Philadelphia, that ‘orange / black’ image remains powerful and nobody else even dares challenge how this organization ‘feels’ like an original six.

The ‘Jets’ isn’t a cheesy symbol, I just don’t see it standing the test of time.

— HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

22. 100HABS says:

I’m typically ultra-conservative and rarely like a logo first time I see it. But frankly, I like the new jets logo.

I am sure you have all seen this before, but I stand by the whole organization!

24. Steven says:

Regarding the new Jets logo…

When I looked at it, at first, I was quick to note something was really off about it(other than not being the original logo, that is). I think it’s the colour choice, to be honest. The colours chosen are incredibly dull and kind of boring looking. If they chose colours that were a little brighter, it would look fine, or maybe just slightly uninspired.

25. habsfan_61 says:

chill out folks josh will sign by wed. thereby avoiding arbritration. then we can all bi$$h about how much he signed for.

Boogaard brother charged in NHL player’s OD death

Derek Boogaard’s brother.

27. JohnBellyful says:

There was an interesting article in The Star yesterday about the NHL trade show going on at the ACC. (http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/1028166–get-your-leafs-hospital-scrubs-here-nhl-trade-show-hits-acc)
    All sorts of stuff on sale that’s linked to hockey, including pillows, women’s apparel, and hockey sticks that double as putters. Here’s a few more that will go on the market in the near future:

Does romance go out the window when the hockey season starts and hubby stays glued to the TV? Buy a pair of Goalnet Stockings and put some sizzle back into your relationship. It won’t be long before he’s crowding your crease.

An old board game with a new twist, Checkers features two teams of 12 pieces bearing the pics of the top checking forwards all-time for each side. Montreal’s dozen, for example, includes such stalwarts as Bob Gainey, Doug Jarvis, Guy Carbonneau and Tomas Plekanec. The pieces sport the colours of the team they represent. What kid wouldn’t want this under the Christmas tree this December? (No names, please, it was a rhetorical question.)

BettWipes come in 30 choices of bathroom tissue rolls, one for each NHL team. Each panel of each roll has the logo of your favourite club. Actually, your least favourite club, given its purpose. (And before you say Boston rolls would lead all sales, remember the Bruin brand is known for its grit. Montreal, on the other hand, has a reputation for being soft.)

— “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

28. gloveside says:

Erik Christensen?

29. cuzzie says:

I’ve been unimpressed with the Winnipeg franchises signings and now their logo or logos are winnipegese, boring ,dull, je ne sais quoi?

30. eric says:

I guess JM needs two coaches to replace Kirk

• homerbowen says:

Other than a “seen better years” forward (Cole) what earthshatteribg signings have we witnessed here?
      See what you have to say after the opening game in Winnipeg!

31. Bash says:

Just got a birthday present from son… a little late because of shipping delay but well worth the wait!

Signed picture of Chris Nilan delivering a punch to Tiger William’s snout!

Personal note to me includes…Buck Foston!

A great addition to the collection of Montreal memorabilia.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• SyntaxLove says:

Neat. Don’t like the typface on the word “Jets” very much but the actual jet looks pretty good.

Chinchillin’

• shiram says:

Feels very Canadian, but beyond that it seems pretty bland.
      Me no likey.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Everlasting1 says:

Looks too militarian for my liking.

——————————————————————-
      “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• JohnnyBEast says:

I really do like the primary, I love that they used the RCAF logo

• HabsPEI31 says:

I’m a Reservist, which is the preface to saying I love the new logo. Oh, and I’m Army, not Chair… er… Air Force :)

Besides that, there are some errors I didn’t note when I posted on TSN (same username). TNSE say it’s a CF-18 as the jet. Now, artistic licence aside, a CF-18 has twin burners, and twin tail “fins”. Not the cone like tail. Oops?

And others there said it looked like the F-35. And you know what? They may be right. Or a hybrid with the F-16: http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0163.shtml

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• GrimJim says:

To me it looks more like the CF-104 Starfighter the air force used before the CF-18 but it’s stylized enough that it could be any of them

32. SeriousFan09 says:

Cunneyworth and Ladoucer have earned this with their fine work in Hamilton. Cunneyworth is very much like Muller in his approach to the game. He is about winning and will be a solid player’s coach for MTL. Not sure what role Ladoucer will have here but no doubt he will be working with the young players to a certain capacity. Big shoes for Clement Jodoin to fill in Hamilton, two straight division titles under their last two coaches!

• LA Loyalist says:

Thanks Serious. Your insight is always valuable.

I just don’t want to find out these guys were brought in as they were no threat to Martin, which Boucher and Muller obviously were.

I feel a little better with your input.

• saskhabfan says:

Boucher and muller were never a threat to JM’s job. Martin went to the ECF in his first year and that summer boucher was hired in tampa and muller doesn’t even speak french. When was the last time a coach went to the ECF and was fired that summer then replaced by an ahl rookie coach? Yeah,that’s what i thought. Now stop your whining and bitching.

• SeriousFan09 says:

There was no logical reason to fire JM after an ECF appearance and no reason to replace him after this season either. Coachs have to give cause to be fired typically and JM so far has done well with a team that is not a Contender.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

33. Hobie Hansen says:

Gorges is a good defenseman…GOOD not GREAT. If he and his agent are asking for ridiculous money than good for Gauthier for taking his time.

It’s a nice story on how Gainey pulled him out of the trash basket in San Jose but let’s not get carried away here. I can’t remember the names of the other defenseman he was compared to in an earlier article but their names didn’t exactly jump out at you and they were well over the $3 million range after arbitration.

Like I said, Gorges is a good 4th or 5th defenseman but I don’t think he and his agent should be pushing the Habs around and calling the shots.

It’s like people are talking about Scott Stevens or Larry Robinson for crying out loud!

34. SyntaxLove says:

Well, Friday’s almost over and still Gorges has not signed. This means:
    He’ll be awarded $6mil in arbitration (cuz he’s awsum! best defensively defensive defender in the league guys!) that the team will walk away from because they’re idiots!
    That means Price and Subban will also depart next year
    Godzilla will promptly destroy the Bell Centre.

Great, thanks PG! You’re the worst ever!

Chinchillin’

35. cuzzie says:

100 degrees and we get hockey news, cool baby cool. Love it. Been banned on posting on sportsnet due to my love of the leafs and sportsnet. How will I ever get over this. Shame, Shame, Shame. Yeah Baby! Time for a cold one.

36. JohnnyBEast says:

This likely has been posted, but the jets release their logo in ~40 minutes.

37. otter649 says:

Randy Ladouceur trivia – Last Detroit player to wear #19 before Steve Yzerman……

38. joeybarrie says:

Well its late Friday and Gorges is not signed… Guess we will end up losing Pk Subban in 3 years….
    Have we not learned anything from the past????
    Gorges not signed today means he wont be captain in 5 years???
    I think we should all relax. It will be ok…
    Carey will come back from the rodeo, Gorges will sign for more money than most think he should, and I don’t even want to get involved in the Gorges is the best defensive defenseman in the league discussion…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• LA Loyalist says:

Habs “offensive depth” is an oxymoron. I don’t need to read the article.

Our defense will generate most of our offense. Though I am hopeful that Cole and Cammi will click.

• christophor says:

Can’t say I follow you here.

Barring long-term injury, I don’t remember the last time I could reasonably expect at least six twenty goal scorers (forwards).

It’s also not beyond expectations for two of those to score thirty or more.

Sure, a lot of 2nd line caliber players, but A LOT mind you.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Cammalleri, Gionta, Plekanec, Gomez, Eller, Desharnais Cole, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn? Five guys each with at least 3 20G seasons on their resume there, Gomez has knocked out more 50A seasons than Vinny Lecavalier (and I still suspect he’s going to bounce back) plus Eller, Desharnais, Pacioretty are all developijng young talents, Pacioretty could make it 6 20-goal players on the team this year.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

39. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not trying to stir the pot, but there were some trial balloons floated on here this summer about having Kirk Muller switch jobs with Randy Cunneyworth. Most sober posters commented that this didn’t seem likely or the way a serious organization would operate.

So Mr. Muller leaves for Milwaukee, that creates an opening as an NHL assistant coach, and we then hire Mr. Cunneyworth, which creates an opening at the AHL level, that Mr. Muller could have filled.

Anyone else think this is odd? I’m not looking for conspiracy theories, but it seems to me if Mr. Muller had approached the team and discussed what his goals were, and Mr. Gauthier were amenable, the Coach Switch (as opposed to the Costanzian Roommate Switch) could have been successfully achieved.

———————————
    For my training camp surprise, I want the second coming of Mike McPhee. And maybe Kent Carlson.

• shiram says:

Maybe Muller did not wanna coach the Dogs?

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• habs03 says:

Exactly what Shiram said, Elliot Friedman said that many guys take AHL coaching jobs with teams they believe they have a good chance taken over in, and MTL wasn’t it. I love Muller as an ast coach, because when you have a tough coach like JM (which I like), you need a guy that’s good with the players to act like a liaison. Unfortunately, I don’t think Muller is going to have a lot of success as a head coach because he is simply too much of a players coach.

• Bripro says:

The only reason RC got the job is because of the opening created by KM. Nobody knows for sure if Mr. Muller discussed the possibility of switching places, but it’s been well publicized that KM is looking to become an NHL coach, and he must have seen this as his fastest track to it.

• shiram says:

So if he is such a coaching stud, why has no other team picked up on him for HC in the NHL??
            Surely they see the same qualities as you do.

Or maybe it is that Muller still need coaching experience before you hand him an important coaching job…

edit : meant to post this under LA’s post
            If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• LA Loyalist says:

Muller is too much a players’ coach? That makes no freaking sense.

You’re in the room between periods in a playoff game and you’re getting your head handed to you on a plate — who has the credibility? Kirk Muller, Captain of our last Stanley Cup team, or J Martin, winner of what exactly…………………………………………..?

• Bripro says:

Exactly! Muller was the coach for most of the season. You can see it at the bench, during the game and during practices. He knows what it takes to run a team.

• Mark C says:

Why does that matter? Julien played in 14 NHL games, Laviolette played in 12, Babcock 0.

• Everlasting1 says:

Just another salary dump.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

40. HabsFanNorway says:

I’m sitting here in Oslo, Norway only hours after my home town where the last city on the list of international terrorists. Oslo is a ghost town tonight. The whole city center is shut down. 7 dead and counting after a bomb down town and possible 30 teenagers shot to death in a summer camp outside of the city. Everyone are waiting to know who these cruel people who does these kind of things are.

Take care of your loved ones tonight Habs fans. Times like this makes you appreciate everything good in life. The Habs are my biggest passion in life and I just wanted to share my thoughts with you.

Give your wife, girlfriend, kids and loved ones a loving word today and be thankful for what you got!

• HalifaxHabs says:

I’ve been reading about the crisis in Norway all day. Thanks for posting, and I’m glad to hear you are safe. I will definitely hug my loved ones a little stronger today.

Canada has your back in the fight against terrorism.

Be safe.

• G-Man says:

Another terrible day. Our troubles pale compared to this horror show.
      Terrorist is another word for coward.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Take care mate.

• ABHabsfan says:

My thoughts and prayers for you and your loved ones, my friend. I hope everyone close to you is safe. Makes you realize there are more important things in life than how much Gorges signs for. Good luck in the coming days

• kempie says:

Our thoughts are with you HFN. We all hope for your continued well-being and that normal may return soon to your life. I’m off now to hug my family.

• PeterStone says:

tragic news. thanks for sharing and accept my well wishes.

• HabsPEI31 says:

Hang in there, HFN. We’re with you.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• The Dude says:

All this because of a cartoon? Religious extremest of all faiths have NO GOD!

• Everlasting1 says:

infowars.com

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• LA Loyalist says:

My family will be praying for the Norwegian people.

What horror is it going to take to convince us that there is evil in the world that cannot be negotiated with or appeased?

I can also pretty much guarantee you that Norway has no death penalty. Probably a factor in choosing you as a target.

I am so sorry.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Which God are you praying to? One of those pro-death penalty anti-appeasement ones I assume.

• Everlasting1 says:

The same god ‘terrorists’ pray to, obviously.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• The Dude says:

Yeppers,the death sentence penalty stops suicide bombers every time. Tea Baggers unite!

• Rob says:

Man, I used to think that maybe you’re were an idiot….now I know.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• The Dude says:

Now you know ?????? You should maybe talk to your God and discover why you like to make his call’s on certain issue’s for him .Oh holy Rob the all seeing and all knowing,son of Jo Jo the mystic and a donation of tadpole’s from Liberace mouth …why so angry?

• Rob says:

Wasn’t replying to you

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• Mattyleg says:

We’re living in scary times, but also hopeful ones. Watch the people rallying to help others, and focus on that. That is what is important.

My thoughts are with the Norwegian people, and be safe, HFN.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• hansolo says:

HFN:

We grieve with you. This is also a day which will live in infamy. I also would never have guessed it would ever happen in Norway.

41. Un Canadien errant says:

I had to check if today was April 1st. TSN top headline right now:

Reports: Yashin talking to Islanders about NHL return

———————————

• Timo says:

Do we have room for another great contract?

• shiram says:

Get Ak, and have him center with AK46, and get AK27 back to retire as a habs, and you can get the AK³ line.

Thats gotta be worth something right?

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• RGM says:

I don’t think I follow. Only works if his last name is Kash-in. Ohhhh. I see what you did there.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• shiram says:

Wow thats right, I really screwed that one up bad.

Ugh I blame the week, it’s hotness/humidity, and the lack of sleep it ensued.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

42. bhoneywell says:

off topic… the wife and I are planning an overnight in Montreal in August, any events (food/music festivals) coming up?

Thanks and go Habs.

43. Malreg says:

I’m setting the over/under for how many articles will be written by tomorrow complaining that the Canadiens didn’t hire a french assistant coach at 4. Place your bets.

44. habby27 says:

Does anyone else find it odd how we, as habs fans, know we are a cup contender (barring health) but know one ever looks at the Habs as cup contenders.

Might be a good thing we are a little under the radar.

Anyone else feel the same way?

• TommyB says:

If you mean all teams that make it to the playoffs are, in effect, contenders…then, ummm, yeah. Because this team has been on the brink of being a true Cup contender for a few years now, but manages to just fall short each time. Not my idea of a true contender, in that sense. They have work to do.

• Steven says:

Many here would tell you that we’re not a contender yet, although I’m not of that train of thought.

It’s a bit disappointing that no one seems to give us credit when it’s due, but it couldn’t be such a bad thing. Sure was fun when we went to the ECF 2 years ago when no one expected it. If we do well, or go all the way, it’ll be that much sweeter.

• habby27 says:

Maybe it’s because I follow them alot but it seems like the chemistry of the team is probably about the best you can get. Along with the guys on our team with the stanley cup experience.

Seems like it brings the best out of our young talented guys.
      Plus a franchise goalie.

Recipe for a cup contender.

• neumann103 says:

I guess it depends on what you mean by a cup contender. I generally think there are 4-5 teams that are a cut above and the Cup winner usually emerges from that pool. There are typically another half dozen teams that will make the playoffs and could well make a run. If your definition of Cup Contender includes that broader scope then yes I guess I agree that the Habs are a Cup contender.

As a Habs fan and a realist, I don’t think this is a top 4 or 5 team. It hasn’t been in a lot of years. Even when they finished 1st in the East. Even when they won the Cup in 1993. Or 1986.

So it has been a long time since I felt the Habs were better than about the 8th Best team in the NHL, and they have won the Cup twice in that span. It seems to happen about 20% of the time, and the common elevating characteristic is probably goaltending.

With that in mind are you happy about the Habs positioning? Sure.

Of course as a Habs fan in Toronto what is more common to deal with is all of these Leaf fans who know so little that they consistently pick the Habs to miss the playoffs and the leafs to make it. So honestly, I have no idea what to make of that.

The consensus of the pre2011 coverage I read in the Canadian media (as opposed to the local Toronto or MTL press) was that the Habs would be the second best Canadian NHL team. This seemed obvious. Still does.

“Et le but!”

45. Adam says:

Alright, here’s a scenario to pass the time.
    You’ve somehow magically become Pierre Gauthier. Pittsburgh calls you up and says “We’ve gotten some test results back on Crosby, and it’s weird. The docs say it’s 50/50. He might never play again, or he could be back at the beginning of the regular season and just as good as ever, if not better.”
    He offers you a deal: Crosby, straight up for Price or Subban.
    Do you take the deal?

46. Habby says:

Finally some real Habs news!

These assistant coaches are good to have. They know the farm and can help guys we call up to transition to the NHL. A good move.

Another plus point is that Randy Ladouceur and Erik Cole know each other. He was an assistant coach with the ‘Canes when Cole started out with the team. Having familiar faces on a new team is always good.

The drive for 25 is alive!

47. habby27 says:

Georges is arguably the best defensive defenseman in the game. I don’t think JM will want to lose him aswell as PG.

We will sign him to a long term deal. He’s the future captain of this club and I cant wait to have Georges, PK, and Price locked up for the long haul

• Bripro says:

Mark my words, he goes to arbitration, he’ll be testing the market come July 1, 2012.

• habby27 says:

If management lets that happen, I question the hockey knowledge within the orginization.

• Bripro says:

Which should make you wonder why they’re so close to arbitration as it is. He should be signed already. I agree with you 100% on his defensive ability. I don’t see why it’s taking so long, unless he thinks he’s worth more than they’re offering.

• habby27 says:

well he is a 1st line dman on our team. So I’m assuming him and his agent want 1st line dman money. I think the Habs might be arguing maybe his points per season, his knee problems now. I don’t know a lot about the process but I don’t think it out of the ordinary that this is happening

• Timo says:

you’ll be the first.

• 24 Cups says:

habby27 – Easy does it. Gorges is a good Dman, nothing more, nothing less. He’s certainly not he best defensive defenseman in the game.

Arbitration is a bit of a cat and mouse game. I’ll sign before Thursday. There’s tons of time left.

• TommyB says:

Yeah, gotta say you are closer to the mark than habby27 is. Best defensive D-man? Wow, Habs fans. Josh Gorges is pretty much what you say, 24. I could add to it by saying he is a heart and soul kind of player. Leaves it all out on the ice pretty much every game. And from all reports, a leader both on and off the ice. So while I don’t necessarily look at Gorges as the best defensive D-man in the league, I would say that it is pretty important to get a player of his work ethics, reliability, and character, signed to a fair deal prior to going to arbitration. Send the correct message to the rest of the team. That being said, I believe all the hand-wringing going on here over Gorges contract status is much ado about nothing. It’ll get done before arbitration, IMO.

48. Mattyleg says:

It’d be nice to see if one of these two will take over the PP strategy.

I think that last year, PP wasn’t able to figure out how to make our PP not stink like PP.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

49. Bripro says:

So, we’re mid-day friday, and Gorges still isn’t signed.
    This doesn’t look good. If he goes to arbitration, we’ll probably lose him as an UFA next year.

50. joshua94k says:

If a computer program had to develop the ultimate defenceman, the criteria would be a player who could:

play sound defensive hockey, block shots, deliver big hits, stickhandle through a crowd, score goals, have a big strong shot,
    quarterback a powerplay, effectvely kill penalties, shutdown the opposing team’s best players, could fight anyone and win, have experience with playing on Stanley Cup and international championships.

It would also be nice if the player had size (over 6″2 and built solidly with muscle).

The computer would come out with Larry Robinson. The Hall of Famer who did it all.

Log onto canadiens.com and see the biggest bodycheck of all-time against Gary Dornhoefer in the 76 Cup finals.

• LA Loyalist says:

Read Robinson’s memoir, if you get a chance it’s really funny. I would also note Habs took time to develop him and showed a lot of patience.

Finally, it’s a shame he’s not involved with Habs.

• ed lopaz says:

change Martin for Robinson, we immediately contend for the Cup.

Robinson is CH.

• G-Man says:

Hogwash. Robinson couldn’t take the heat in NJ. Yes, he won a Cup, replacing Ftorek late in the season. Afterwards, he almost had a nervous breakdown.
          He has problems with the commitment level of today’s players.

• ed lopaz says:

with muller gone how many cups do we have behind our bench?

• Mattyleg says:

Oh come on, Ed, I think you know the answer to that…
            What, however, is your point?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• GenerationYHabs says:

Apparently the only way to win a cup is to already have one.

• LA Loyalist says:

Gee, you think he might have a problem with Gomer? I’d pay A LOT to be around for that.

• LA Loyalist says:

You will get death threats any minute now, but I agree. And if Gomez goes too: we will be there.

• ed lopaz says:

death threats :-)

too funny!!

51. LA Loyalist says:

So what is the plan here? We are now Hamilton North-East?

I hate Martin, but I’d feel better if there was a freaking apparent strategy here.

Or, after losing Boucher and Muller, this is what we’re left with?

Please explain. How can I have a headache this early in the day?

Too bad Bob lost Larry Robinson’s phone number.

• G-Man says:

Always among the first to shoot down anything the team does. Yawn.

• LA Loyalist says:

Not true, I am happy about Cole, given who was available I think he’s the best fit with our needs. Happy about Budaj, which gives us some insurance. Damn happy about (Y)Emelin and of course our injury returns, Markov, Gorges, Pax.

My issue with the new coaches is not them per se, but “what’s the plan?” is this a succession strategy? Is this “well they know our kids.” is it “well these guys are no threat to Martin like Boucher and Muller were” and if that’s the case I’m furious.

Why don’t you explain the strategic and tactical plan of the Montreal Canadiens for 11/12, as you are such a freaking genius. I look forward to your analysis.

• saskhabfan says:

Please explain how boucher and muller were threats to JM when we just came off an ECF appearance(and please don’t give us it was all halak crap) while boucher was a rookie coach in the ahl and muller doesn’t even speak french. Please explain this since you are such a freakin genius we all look forward to your explanation. After you fall on your face with your explanation can you also make a list of all coaches who were fired from their position after being to the ECF and replaced by a rookie ahl coach? BTW, only middle aged women drive porche’s.

• Mattyleg says:

How can you lose something that you weren’t intending to keep?

…and btw, Larry stepped down in NJ because he wasn’t able to take the pressure. And you think he’d be okay in Montreal? Hmm.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• AK_PK_Usay says:

No, the pro JM should stop drinking koolaid, the team is winning despite him and not because of him.

He has been a mediocre coach at best, and his two seasons in montreal can be summed up by 2 great goalie seasons.

One of the reasons Kirk was let go is because he disagreed with JM, Kirk was also let go mysteriously back in his player year for no good reason.

Some respected ex habs player said “habs have two choices, win the cup, or become french canadian” and thats the sad truth, and don’t underestimate the french media. Habs could be 100% french canadien and they would get critiqued.

52. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Eklund is saying we’re trying to swing a deal for Erik Christensen for anyone who is desperate for something to talk about during the dog days…

• Bripro says:

Speaking of something else to talk about, did anyone see where RDS is reporting talks between Yashin and the Islanders?
      They didn’t learn their lesson the first time?
      I guess they’ll also consider extending once again Rick DiPietro’s contract.
      Or maybe they should bring “Mr. Personality” Jeff Hackett back….

53. JD_ says:

What the eff?

That’s just great. Bring in an assistant coach whose name is effectively Horny Softness.

PG has really messed up big time. The team is so finished.

Suivant!

Next!

54. G-Man says:

What kind of sand and grit is that?
    Cunneyworth? Ladouceur? Pffft!
    ;)

Did Kirk Muller take Pern with him or not.?

This is very good news, bringing both coaches up together.

Looks like Jacques Martin will be moving on up the ladder to the front office next year!

Over the past 6 or 7 years we have built a great organization from top to bottom. The very many years of mismanagement and being at the bottom in both leagues are over.

• habs03 says:

I didn’t like a lot of the moves Bob Gainey made, but he had a big part in in building this team back to respectability after the Houle era. Also credit to Andre Savard, he did a good job for the few years between the two.

• Ian Cobb says:

Bob always thinks 4 or 5 years down the road and makes moves accordingly. He did a fantastic job. He is a great organization builder.

Thanks Mr. Gainey

• RobertAlanFord says:

Whatever happened to Savard? Couldn’t handle or want the pressure?

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro”, Hunter S. Thompson.

• joshua94k says:

After Corey insisted Savard get rid of Chelios, Roy, Carbonneau, he knew he could not manage the team the way he wanted. Then came the financial mess the team was in (low CDN dollar and the high costs of building the new arena) forcing him to trade Leclaire, Desjardins, etc to cut salary costs.

• petefleet says:

You’ve got your GM’s mixed up me thinks. Tremblay / Houle were the dolts that orchastrated St. Patricks trade.

***Habs Forever***

• LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, and for a long time I didn’t know the real reason Corey wanted to dump Chelios. And we all saw the disaster with Roy.

Ronald Corey should commit honorable sepuku in front of the Bell Center. It would not be enough, but it would be a start.

• LA Loyalist says:

It was Corey Patrick yelled at as he was sitting behind the bench.

Houle/Tremblay were just the minions.

And educate yourself as to why Corey had Chelios traded. You’ll throw up if you don’t know. I almost crashed my car when I found out.

• B says:

He left to be an assistant coach in Pittsburgh (under Therien). He is now a scout for the Penguins.

• longbow says:

Why do you think Martin would be moving up in the organization ? Do we really want that? What would he be doing ? Wouldn’t it be better if he just went somewhere else ? The sooner the better !

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

• G-Man says:

Not happy with the first experienced coach the Habs have had in a donkey’s age? Stunning commentary, as usual.

• LA Loyalist says:

Oh just don’t. Martin is a high football coach who plays the prevent and tries to win by a field goal. He makes his QB hand off 43 times a game.
          We will win NOTHING until he and Gomez are gone and some creativity is unleashed.

And don’t bother coming back with beating Washington, that was Halak and Cammi carrying the team on their backs, no help from Martin who has NEVER WON ANYTHING and who would try and turn Crosby, Gretzky and Lafleur into 4th line grinders if he had them.

• shiram says:

No facts, all opinion!
            And a dim view of the 2010 playoffs, really LA, we know you dislike Martin and that’s fine, but what you say is basically untrue.
            How about all those blocked shots, and the tremendous job done by the D so that Halak did not face many quality shots, but alot of outisde shots.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• LA Loyalist says:

Of course the other guys contributed, they played hard, but it was the overall strategic failure to ATTACK that cost us, and that’s on the coach.

Like this year, up 2-0 on Boston going home, and we choke like (insert rude comment here) at home.

That’s not on Martin? Please explain how he doesn’t own that?

• G-Man says:

Martin has turned the Habs country club into a defense first team whose players are in great shape. The hockey of the 80s is long gone. All the players these days can skate (excepting Pouliot).
            Even Gretzky in his prime would not be able to get anywhere near the points he got back then compared to 2011.
            Martin’s D first system produced less GA. This season, when Cammy, Gionta and Gomez underperformed, the team scored 1 goal less.

• shiram says:

So his strategic failure got us to the conference final last year, and we made a good showing this year, both years with a depleted lineup.
            So Martin made good of a bad situation.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• saskhabfan says:

Yeah,he sure was a football coach who plays prevent when he had those sens teams who seemed to lead the league in goal scoring every year. As usual,la loyalist doesn’t know shit from tar. Also doesn’t look like you don’t know much about football either as well as hockey.

57. TorontoHabsFan says:

If they ever decide to replace the excerpt from “In Flanders Fields” on the dressing room walls, might I suggest this verse from Conan the Barbarian as an early contender?:

“What is best in life? To crush your enemy, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their wimmin!”

:D

58. TorontoHabsFan says:

I feel like we haven’t talked enough about Montreal’s lack of toughness and grit…

:D

59. The Dude says:

It all make total sense….Very little Habs team toughness = lot’s of injuries= Bull Dog call ups=Coaches who know how too help thier former players make the transition to N.H.L. play and pace= Stanley Cup=what?

60. habaddict_andy says:

When we have to bring up a player from Hamilton, this can prove to be very effective. Good move IMO.

Go! Hockey! Go!

61. TorontoHabsFan says:

At home today in this sweltering heat and can I just say that Conan The Barbarian is one deeply strange film. It’s like an epic made on a shoestring budget in the back woods behind the director’s house.

Oh, and good move to promote Cunneyworth. Pascal Vincent was hired on as assistant in Winnipeg (for those wondering).

• habaddict_andy says:

What do you mean “epic made…”? Was it pretty good. i was curious how it would turn out.

Also worth mentioning, there will be a remake of The Thing. I want to see this movie.

Go! Hockey! Go!

• shiram says:

There’s a remake, or a just a new Conan movie coming out soon as well.
        Conan’s tale is an epic one, but the movie is made on a low budget, well that’s the way I made sense of what TorontoHabsFan said.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Willy says:

I think he was referring to the old Conan movie, the new isn’t even out yet in theatres and i would be surprised if i copy leaked online already.

• habaddict_andy says:

Yea, I got mixed up. I did love to watch the old Conan. Now that you say it I’m laughing at “shoestring budget in the back woods”.

Go! Hockey! Go!

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Yeah, I’m talking about the old one. It’s one weird-ass film – the camera angles are very strange..everything is a close-up and off-centre.

Anyways…back to the hockey talk! :D

• shiram says:

I love how Conan got Mr. Mister buff by basically pushing a wheel for most of his life.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Maybe the training staff should insert the wheel for our bottom six players into their training program :P

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• shiram says:

Pouliot could have definately spent some time on the wheel!

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Pouliot was always a fool for a big hit, even with his frame, he was more easy to knock down than Gionta.

• habaddict_andy says:

I’m sure some of you have seen The Thing from 1982. This remake will come out this October. It could be really entertaining if it’s done right.

Go! Hockey! Go!

62. J_P says:

Cunneyworth seems like another solid coaching prospect that we will lose to another organization. Hard for a coach to go from assistant to head coach within the same organization. I dont like this revolving door of coaches in Hamilton also.

Obviously this is only a concern to me because I cant stand Jacques Martin as a coach.

63. hab_skill says:

Cunnyworth will help the younger guys like Pacioretty, Subban and (Y)Emelin. Good call.

Question: Since when did this site turn into advertisementinsideout.com?

64. HalifaxHabs says:

Nice move… Clem Jodoin is a good coach too. Probably the best coach the Halifax Mooseheads have had in their exisitence.

65. MilaKunis says:

Wow. Expected Cunneyworth but not both. I think it’ll be good for the players.

66. Favorite Son says:

Cool…is Pearn out or something?