Crucial week ahead for Canadiens

Coming off a 2-1 loss to the Buffalo Sabres Saturday night at the Bell Centre, the Canadiens head into a crucial three-game week with games in Pittsburgh Tuesday and Boston Wednesday, before playing the New York Rangers Saturday at the Bell Centre.

The Habs earned only a single point in two games last week against a Sabres squad that has been lifeless for much of the season.

A win Saturday would have tightened the Canadiens’ grasp on first place in the Northeast Division because the second-place Boston Bruins lost 3-2 in Toronto on Saturday. The Canadiens remain two points ahead of Boston, but the Bruins have a game in hand.

The Canadiens were given the day off Sunday and will practise Monday at 11 a.m. in Brossard.

While the Canadiens were resting Sunday, a Habs alumni team took on a team of former NHL stars in a legends game at the Bell Centre in front of more than 10,000 fans. One of the oldtimers in bleu-blanc-rouge was Alex Kovalev, who only retired from the NHL last week.

Kovalev lasted only 14 games with the Florida Panthers after signing a one-year contract, posting 2-3-5 totals. He said the decision to retire wasn’t his.

“I didn’t have a choice. That’s what has kind of been the frustrating part,” Kovalev told reporters after the legends game.

The 40-year-old Kovalev, who has said in the past he’d like to play until he’s 50, said he was now hoping to find a job “somewhere in Europe”, probably Switzerland.

When asked about his time with the Canadiens. Kovalev said: “I liked every second of it.”

He added: “At this point, you can say I made a bad decision going to Ottawa instead of staying in Montreal (after the 2008-09 season). Maybe I would still be playing here.”

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Crucial week ahead for Habs, by Dave Stubbs

Retirement wasn’t my choice: Kovalev, by Brenda Branswell

Legends game photo gallery

Miller gets his groove back for Sabres, by Pat Hickey

“We competed hard,” Therrien says after loss, by Pat Hickey

Miller part of trade rumour mill, by N.Y. Times

Stars ship Morrow to Penguins, by The Associated Press

Iginla trade rumours heating up around Flames, by Postmedia News

Canadian hockey hopes alive – except in Alberta, by Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News

Lightning fires coach Guy Boucher, by The Associated Press

Blame Yzerman, not Boucher, for Lightning woes, by Tampa Bay Times

1. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Is Boucher related to Pierre Page? I’ll never forget the scene where Page was yelling at Sundin and the rest of the Nordiques bench in the 1993 playoffs against the Habs. I still get shivers…it was like watching a human being turning into a werewolf. Where the heck is PP these days? Boucher is not the genius that everyone here thought he was. He would have destroyed the team. Ditto with Kirk Muller. Where are the Canes in the standings?

• grosjambon says:

I ran into Pierre Page at the Checkpoint Charlie museum in Berlin about 5 years ago. He was coaching the Berlin Eisbären in the German league. He told me about a few NHL players he had coached there, I didn’t know any of them.

2. showey47 says:

Read some posts below about getting jared boll. My only question is how does a guy named jared get the middle name rittenhouse?

Re Prust – let him heal. Habs will need him in the playoffs probably more than any other player on the roster.

4. B says:

The cost for Pittsburgh to get Brenden Morrow was basically D prospect Joe Morrow (and a 3rd for 5th swap). Joe Morrow was the Pen’s 1st round pick in 2011. For Montreal to do a deal like that would take giving up Beaulieu, I would not want to swap him for Brenden Morrow.

–Go Habs Go!–

5. Marc10 says:

Prust can’t be rushed in his rehab. And shoulders can be a problem… We’ll get a serious gut check against Pittsburgh and the Bastards. It’s going to be interesting.

6. Strummer says:

As the deadline approaches it would be nice to move Kaberle and not have to waste an amnesty buyout on him. Save it for Gionta.
    That would create $9.25 in cap relief.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

Ahh yes that dead space guy playing the role of captain….

• Strummer says:

As opposed to the dead space guy who was crashing the net on Saturday?

Edit- Sabre net
        ______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Loonie says:

I suppose saying that Gionta goes to the dirty areas of the ice more than most of the other players we have would be lost on you.

• Strummer says:

Three of your top 6 are under 5’9″- one of them makes $5 million a year and has 1 year left is getting long in the tooth and the cap is shrinking next year.
            ______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Loonie says:

K so his productivity isn’t the issue for you. It’s his size and salary.

And with that in mind who replaces his average of 25 goals in the lineup?

• Strummer says:

That cap space would gives you some flexibility in terms of a replacement – either now and take advantage of the selling teams or in the off season when the whole picture can change.

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Loonie says:

Show me a pending free agent likely to go to market who averages over 20 goals per season, has a Stanley Cup ring and provides leadership and I’m on board.

Oh, he has to be available on a one year deal too, cuz that’s all Gionta has left.

You miss the entire point. If you don’t like Gio that is fine. But to use an amnesty buyout on him, would be beyond stupid. He is tradeable, perhaps not worth as much as even I would like to think but definitely tradeable. So to buy him out, receive nothing in compensation would be complete mismanagement.

• Strummer says:

There are better ways to spend $5 million under a $64 million cap.

Trading him would work for me but I wouldn’t see any takers because of said $5 million

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Loonie says:

Paul Gaustad fetched a first round pick.

I like Gionta but wouldn’t call him untouchable. I also wouldn’t buy out a player who scores, leads and could get a great return on the trade market.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Really a non starter though – he has a NTC, is not a problem in the room, plays almost 20 minutes a game (has the coaches favor) – and only one more year on his contract.

It is next year that this sort of issue might come up if the Habs revert to martinism.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

Lots of good points and counterpoints this morning on who MB should acquire, I really hope he is logged in and reading as he normally does on a Monday morning.

CHeers MB, have a good day.

8. Habitforming says:

I wonder if Loui Erikson could be had from Dallas, and what the cost would be.
    At 6’2 and signed for $4.25M he would be very good for this team now and in the future

9. adamkennelly says:

Forget Clowe…he has ZERO goals and is likely hurt. I’d take Doug Murray in a heartbeat…lower price, and of more value. Then save the Clowe pieces for Umberger and Boll (my favorite hypothetical trade).

Adding Umberger, Boll and Murray would help this team tremendously in the playoffs.

• Luke says:

Boll would have zero impact in the playoffs.

Players like Boll do not play in the playoffs.

• adamkennelly says:

wrong. he can play real 4th line minutes – even in the playoffs. his stats are not dissimilar to Prust…and if we end up playing Boston – he would be pretty valuable.

• Luke says:

Apologies. Just took a quick peek, certainly seems to have turned himself into more than the marginal Scott/Orr type.

PLaying almost 9mins a game, plus, a handful of points. I don’t watch CLB too much, and what I remember of Boll was more of a Knuckledragger than a contributor, so yah. apologies.

(I hate that Orr is named Orr… something sad about discussing an Orr and using words like Goon & Marginal).

10. Sportfan says:

Stubbs on Twitter said Prust is on the other Ice. How bad is this injury :s and will we need to add someone to fill his void? I’m a bit worried about the Boston game now.

• donmarco says:

If he’s not even able to participate in a full team practice with non contact that tells me he’s at least a week away, if not more. Like you I would feel much more comfortable with him in the lineup on Wednesday.

11. donmarco says:

Why do we hear nothing about a possible date for when Prust will start playing? Or even practicing?

• Luke says:

I remember when the only injury info you could get was an occassional small listing in the transaction section in the back of the sports section… right next to the Darts league standings.

And it was only there when they had extra room… if there was a big bridge tournament at the Legion, you were SOL that week…

12. Habsrule1 says:

Not that I think the Habs would or should gve up what it would take to get him, but I’m a bit dissapointed that Montreal is not on Iginla’s list of teams he would go to.
    I realize we are not yet considered perrenial contenders and he would have a better shot at the Cup with the teams he chose, but it would have been nice to get some love with the season we’re having.

Go Habs Go!!

Off topic question, but one I think is close to the hearts of many Montreal baseball fans. Is the new Jackie Robinson movie going to do the same thing as the movie “Argo” and completely ignore the role Canada and specifically Montreal played in giving Jackie his start playing Minor League Pro Baseball there? I really hope that aspect of his career is not glossed over, but I expect it will be.

• arcosenate says:

Yes, Hollywood has not officially recognized the existence of Canada, but, until Canadians start spending the money to celebrate and depict our own history it’s kind of sily to ask the Americans to fill the void.

• Sportfan says:

I saw in the Trailer there was a part where a reporter talks to Robinson and he is wearing a Montreal Uniform. I think they mention it a bit, but don’t know how long it will be.

• Strummer says:

If you saw “Phil Spector” on HBO last night the film opens with a disclaimer that describes “Phil Spector” as a work of fiction “inspired” by actual persons in a trial, then adds, “But it is neither an attempt to depict the actual persons, nor to comment upon the trial or its outcome.”

These aren’t documentaries.

That’s why I was the only Canadian who didn’t get bent out of shape about “Argo” because – I repeat- it is not a documentary.
      It’s a Hollywood production based on actual events.

Hollywood has a long history of playing fast and loose with the truth.
      Most bio-pic’s deviate from actual history to make the presentation more palatable.

The Buddy Holly Story, La Bamba, and the Jerry Lee Lewis biopic Great balls of Fire are prime examples

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• The Jackal says:

Argo… don’t get me started!
        It’s stupid how they downplayed Canada’s HUGE role just for another American chest-pumping movie.
        At least Zero Dark Thirty was awesome…. should have won best pic.

I am not nor was I bent out of shape Strummer. Just commenting on how the actual story which inspired the movie Argo was much different than what was depicted.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Some good films there. Gary Busey’s finest I think. I’m always wondering if actual history deviates from ACTUAL HISTORY to make it more palatable.

14. Sportfan says:

Just read the Tampa article I don’t find its fair to completely blame Stevie Y. Its hard to get a decent goalie out there someone like Bernier has a high asking price and they have tried to tweak the D. I know from a Habs fan this sounds bad, but they need patience in Tampa.

15. Cal says:

Was there any coverage of the Habs Alumni game yesterday?

16. habstrinifan says:

Commandant has started a series of players who may be available. Today he highlights the Western Conference. Let’s say you were invited to sit in on a metting with MB/RD/Timmins/et al which off Commandant’s list would you suggest Habs consider. You can say NONE.

Below is a summary of Commandant’s article and my choices. Thanks Comandant.

Dallas: Jaromir Jagr or Derek Roy. My pic Jagr because he is
    more likely to deliver what you would be acquiring him for.
    SJS: Ryan Clowe, Michal Handzus, and Doug Murray. First choice
    would be Crowe but I would take Handzus because of the
    Plek factor.
    Nash: Brandon Yip, Scott Hannan, and Chris Mason. Only Scott
    Hannan.
    Colmb:Vaclav Prospal and Adrian Aucoin.I would take Prospal. I
    think he is underrated.

Phnx: Steve Sullivan, Matt Lombardi, Raffi Torres, Boyd Gordon,
    and Mike Smith. Only player I would take is Raffi Torres.. and
    I think it would be a good pickup.

Edit: I submitted this and it ‘disappeared… so forgive it it becomes a double post.

• Loonie says:

I’d try to kill two birds with one stone and add Murray and Clowe.

But having said that I wouldn’t give up a huge bounty for that package. Truth be told I’d rather have Murray than Clowe.

Edit: For what it’s worth I watch the Sharks a lot and Michael Handzus has nothing left to give. His career is over in my opinion.

Wouldn’t trade a 7th rounder for him.

• HabFanSince72 says:

” First choice would be Crowe ”

Are you making a movie?

• Geez I’m not a fan of any of those players as missing pieces.

Col has PA Parenteau who may be available.

TB are now sellers and have more than two players moving on that may work.

and Buffalo will be a bubble team where the GM has to say are we going for it or no?

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• donmarco says:

Here’s to hoping for a winless week in Dallas. I’d take Jagr as the ultimate rental player if the price was right, say a third rounder and a mid level prospect on D. He’d fit right in with Pleks. Clowe will be too expensive.

• Kooch7800 says:

Isn’t Clowe hurt with a shoulder injury? We need a healthy player for a deep run if we are going to give up players or pics. We don’t need clowe if he can’t play a bang and crash game with offensive upside

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Luke says:

You and I would make completely opposite player choices in almost all of these scenarios. (or I wouldn’t make one at all – CLB)

17. adamkennelly says:

MB will wait to see how these 2 big games go before deciding what he needs – or he could just log in here and get some ideas.

One could almost argue that for every good trade Holmgren makes he then completely craps the bed with the next. Sure he got good pieces back for Richards and Carter, he got crap back for JVR and completely revealed Montezumah’s Revenge when he picked Bryzgalov and dumped Bobrovsky.

Not to mention that despite all the stories of partying, Richards and Carter haven’t exactly hurt the Kings.

He makes a great deal of moves, isn’t afraid to shake things up, and he got kicked in the nut sack when Pronger went down. But given the type of player Pronger was perhaps Karma came back biting.

Either way, I am not sure he has the patience to truly build that elite team.

• Without Carter and Richards I am sure they would not have won the Cup. People can speculate on the future all they want. Once a team wins the Cup, they won any deals they made that year.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

HiB, quite correct on Karma with Pronger – it was the same Karma that saw Eager sucker punch Colby to even his past history of head shots.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• donmarco says:

If they continue to slide it would not be unreasonable to see both Laviolette and Holmgren gone. Will be interesting to see if Snyder has the gonads for it.

19. More trade bait out of Calgary. Iginla says no to Montreal however Bouwmeester is on the block. His game yesterday he logs over 30 minutes of ice time. He has one year remaining at 6.6. Is that doable? I don’t watch the Flames so all I know of Boumeester is what he did in Flr, and that his stock in stats has fallin a little.

As a quarterback GM you are always looking to improve your team. :lol:

That would be my final move on defense.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

Hey that wasn’t me hacking your account buddy. :)

• The Dude says:

I’d do a Gorges and a Gionta for a Bouwmeester.

• habs12 says:

They wouldn’t. I know it’s Feaster lol but if they are actually going to trade people like Iginla and Bouwmeester, they are going after top picks and prospects and maybe some young established guys.

• donmarco says:

Gorges is the only d-man signed after 2014. He’s an underrated player who management loves. Gionta maybe, but why in the world would Calgary go for that?

• habs12 says:

He’s been pretty bad of late. Trading him would be a mistake though because like you said management does lean on him, and he is now one of the core guys in that room.

• donmarco says:

Cap space is too tight, even with the anticipated Kaberle buy out. He’d be our highest paid player, and it would cost a pick and a prospect. I wouldn’t touch that trade.

• Cap space can be manipulated, that’s management’s job not ours :) Will Ryder be back after this season wanting a bigger salery? Do we give it to him? The Habs have to go for it this season, because after this season pieces of current team will be all over the league.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

• donmarco says:

“That’s Management’s job and not ours”? The reason we’re all on this site at 10 o’clock on a Monday morning is because we have NO jobs. Boy am I glad you’re not the GM. The Habs do not have to “go for it” this season. Their objective is to build a long lasting team that will be elite for years. Your “one and done” approach is the exact opposite of this.

• Actually I own my own company and the reason I am on this site is because I work hard and have time to play here between customers.

What do you think I am purposing here, trading Galchenyuk, and Gallagher to get Bouwmeester. I’m talking a couple minor moves to increases our odds at winning the Cup. Losing Gionta, a 2013 pick, and one prospect will not kill this team. Do you see the picks we have coming that will replace anything we have now?

To go for hit this season is the theme for every team in the top 4 because we all have the best chance.

If this team were in the middle, then trust me, you don’s need to be so aggressive.
            Like you are happy to not have me be a ACQ, boy am I ever glad you don’t work for me, you’re too passive for me. Great opportunities are often disguised as hard work, I hope people see how close we are right now!

Shane Oliver
            Twitter @Sholi2000
            Custom Sports Figures

• donmarco says:

More alike than you think, as I own mine as well, but admittedly can spend more time than I should on HIO. And no, I probably wouldn’t work for you, as I value loyalty, commitment and dedication and succeed because I trust the people I’ve chosen to work for me. You appear to be a “what have you done for me lately” type, and if that works for you, hats off. But it’s not my philosophy. As I said earlier, why in the world would Calgary take Gionta, even with a pick, for JB? If it is doesn’t make sense to both teams, it doesn’t make sense.

• Stevie.Ray says:

Our defense is so bogged down as it is. We need to be looking to move Kaberle and Weber to make room for Tinordi, Beaulieu, Nygren, Pateryn, Dietz, Ellis etc.

We are in an awkward phase as those prospects aren’t quite ready, so finding a solid dman for one season does make some sense, but not Bouwmeester. Don’t want to sell the farm for a placeholder. We can pick up a guy off free agency that will settle in nicely on the third pairing (Fistric?).

No need to sell the future, today.

• If the Habs want to win (Cup) this season, they can not go into the playoffs with this current defense lineup, if the Habs want to just contend then our defense is fine. However as stated lower, Bouwmeester is not a hard heavy hitting d-man, so I am deleting my email to our manager. haha

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Shane, the “10,000 tough guys crowd” would be apoplectic – the biggest knock on JB is that he has an iron man streak of games, therefore he is too soft …

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Presumably they would want a defensive prospect for JayBo.

20. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Call it co-incidence that it was the games against the Sabres that hightlighted certain needs for some, but there seems to be an echo chamber here about the habs perceived “weaknesses”

1) Net Presence: Also known as going to “dirty areas”, “paying the price” and “work ehic”. Seeing pucks bobling past the net makes commentators scream that we don’t have net presence – actually from my view, it just as much meant that the goaltender bobbled an easy shot from the first guy in zone and no-one was close enough for a rebound. It wasn’t that they didn’t have the desire, it was more to do with a trap game that forced shots from further out or not being able to ge the puck out of your own zone, leading to Jacques Martinism, aka getting so tired inside your zone that you have to change lines on the way out, limiting the rush capabilities.

2) Big Crease Clearing Defenceman: Unless this guy plays both positions for 60 minutes a game, the crease will not be clear because clearly the other guys are not doing the job.

Fess up: People are really saying “we want Pronger in his prime” but a) he ain’t out there and b) if he was, another team won’t take Kaberle and Calgary’s second rounder for him.

I don’t want a dman that gets run over to be sure, but I would rather better puck movers that work with the forwards to get the puck out – the fact that the Habs are more often outshooting the other teams since rolled up newspapers were used as shinpads tells me that the current system is working but it can’t be taken for granted. Puck possession and le swarm.

3) Team Toughness – Too Many Small Guys: Where to start? Look at Pittsburghs lineup and compare it to the Habs’ in terms of size? Off season, the Pens got SMALLER, not bigger, Kunitz, Kennedy, Cooke, Letang, … not big guys.

Toughness is taking a hit to make a play, using leverage to separate the other play from the puck, and having the discipline to not retaliate because someone stuck a glove in your face.

4) The PK is Lousy: Well, no argument here to be sure – despite my serious man crush on Lars, the way he is currently being directed to kill penalties is not working and should be changed to a more conventional corner to corner version.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Loonie says:

If Tinordi doesn’t develop a mean streak in the next twenty games or Bergevin doesn’t add a player who can move the puck and play with that mean streak this team will be enjoying a nice season that doesn’t result in a championship.

But I believe he will make a splash.

• punkster says:

Nice to see you …back from the Shadows again.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

21. Loonie says:

Just so the whole Flyers’ past, present and future can be put in perspective.

They gave up Richards and Carter and got Simmonds, Voracek, Couturier, Brayden Schenn, Anthony Solarz and Nick Cousins.

I like that deal for both teams. But I still think the Flyers will have gotten the better end of the deal over time.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Forgot JvR for Luke Schenn.

• Loonie says:

I was just referring to the Richards/Carter trades.

Holmgren set them up for ten plus years with those deals. And both Richards and Carter were problems in Philadelphia.

• Marc10 says:

I agree… Unfortunately he got the goaltending all wrong (as per usual).

And now they have no D to protect said goalie until the next UFA lands in their lap.

I don’t believe in a higher power but there’s something at work that just keeps Philly, a team that breeds and cultivates a-holes, from ever tasting champagne from the Cup.

• Kooch7800 says:

It was a good deal for both. The Kings won a cup and have a team to contend now and the flyers will be helped long term.

The Flyers should have went after Bernier though in the deal in my opinion.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• donmarco says:

From strictly that perspective I can’t argue with your logic. Voracek and Simmonds alone are worth that. Not yet sold on Couturier, he’s had a dismal year. But when you look at their defense and goaltending and factor in their cap situation this team is in big trouble. And Giroux is up for renewal after next season and that will cost some serious money. No sympathy at all for a team that still thinks of themselves as the Broad Street Bullies.

• Cal says:

I thought Philly crapped the bed by signing both players to long term expensive deals and then running away just before those deals would kick in. I was glad for LA that they managed to land both players (after Carter was shipped to them) and win the Cup. Holmgren’s GM handbook doesn’t have a chapter on patience. All splash, no substance.
      Apparently, the latest “bad deal” is Hartnell. I’d take him in a minute for the right price.

• JF says:

Agreed. I thought at the time that the Richards and Carter trades were great for Philly. Where Holmgren screwed up was, as usual, over goaltending. There was no reason on earth to give Bryzgalov nine years. On top of that they go and trade Bobrovsky, who is starting to look like an NHL goaltender. As for the Luke Schenn-JVR deal, I think it’s too early to say. Schenn is still pretty young.

22. HabFanSince72 says:

From hockeybuzz:

March 23, 2013, 2:32 AM ET
    just was woken up by the text saying ” Hawks and Habs Set to Duke it Out Over Brendan Morrow. I have also heard LA

• Stevie.Ray says:

Another swing and a miss.

I once read an article that analyzed Eklund for over a year and found he was right less than 5% of the time. And when he is right, it’s either common knowledge or he steals somebody elses scoop and passes it off as his own.

Most people don’t like when people post about Eklund on this board, but I don’t mind seeing his glaring failures.

• donmarco says:

The Jack Todd of hockey predictors. Aside from the laughs, no earthly reason to read a word he/she/it writes.

23. Habitforming says:

I think its funny to see all the impending UFA guys giving out lists of “contenders” they will go to in a trade as a rental, and yet they leave Montreal off the list like they aren’t real competition. Still getting no respect.

I hope Iginla and Morrow watch the Habs hoist the cup this season.

• habs12 says:

Teams on Iginla’s list:
      LA Kings: Stanley Cup Champions 2012
      Boston Bruins: Stanley Cup Champions 2011
      Vancouver Canucks: Stanley Cup Finalists 2011
      Chicago Blackhawks: Stanley Cup Champions 2010
      Pittsburgh Penguins: Stanley Cup Champions 2009
      Montreal Canadie…you get the point.

• Habitforming says:

So winning cups in the past is what they consider? lol

• habs12 says:

If you only had one chance to do it, would you choose a team that has done it recently or take a chance with an unknown? Obviously anything can happen come playoff time, but no one can predict that in advance; it is about giving yourself the best opportunity.

• Stevie.Ray says:

All the teams on his list have proven elite players at the core of their team. The only proven elite players the habs have are Pleks and Price. Pacioretty and Subban will probably join that club soon. Markov was once, but he is getting older and is questionable. The rest of the team is made up of younger guys or older guys that you think you know what you’re going to get, but you could be wrong. That’s what happens to a team when they finish last in the conference.

• B says:

The lists are not from a pending UFA, they are from places like “TSN Hockey Insider” Darren Dreger’s “sources”.

–Go Habs Go!–

24. Loonie says:

I think this team’s gonna win the Stanley Cup.

25. Skeptical says:

Habs will make the playoffs and you can’t ask for more this year.

A stanley cup team they’re not and won’t be for a few years.

Don’t expect much to happen at trade deadline. MB will not waste our future.

• JUST ME says:

I agree with you. We should stop wasting our time writing about trades here and there cause they won`t happen, not for the upcoming playoff run in mind. Bergevin is aiming ahead in two or three years when the kids will be ready and the veterans ready…to go.

I does feel good though to see our team and be confident about making the playoffs unless a tragedy happens..For the longest time we made the playoffs at the last minute or the last spot available. Not this year.

• t1tan5 says:

We have three (THREE!) second round picks this year. I think that it would not be reckless for MB to part with one of them in order to help bolster our line-up for the short-term.

26. HabFanSince72 says:

We all complained about The Goat and Gainey but imagine if we were Flyers’ fans? (OK if we were Flyers fans we would probably be drying out in jail or in an emergency ward on a Monday morning after a weekend of drunken brawling instead of discussing hockey on an Internet forum but bear with me).

What a complete hash Holmgrem has made of things in Philly.

27. habstrinifan says:

Who started the crazy rumour to trade Youppi. Youppi is untradeable although he should be SCRATCHED every now and then.

28. Thomas Le Fan says:

I have to come out and say that I’m happy Guy Boucher wasn’t hired to coach the Habs. Maybe it’s un-P.C. but I wouldn’t want to see the Frankencoach behind the bench every game. My apologies in advance but the dude is hard to look at. And it’s not just the scar, the faces he makes while he’s screaming scare me. Good thing he’s behind the bench where the players can ignore him. Maybe he needs to go to the Therrien Makeover School. Heh.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

29. commandant says:

A look at the Western Conference Bubble Teams. Who will be a buyer and who will be a seller.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

It will be interesting to watch Calgary as they appear to be readying themselves for a rebuild. They have the next 10 days to not only decide if they are going to finally begin the rebuild, but also do it properly.

If Feaster gets too greedy early while their are multiple bidders for Iginla, he could end up shopping himself into a situation where only 1 buyer remains, who then fleeces him. If Toronto happens to win a couple more games, they are right back in the thick of playoff picture and thus adds another team who could use Kipper in net.

It is one thing to finally decide you are in sale mode, but another to do it properly. Given Feaster appeared to have egg on face in how he handled the RFA O’Reilly one has to wonder how well he will handle the rebuild of the Flames.

• Loonie says:

That team has just been built so poorly that I could forgive him for not doing a great job here.

They don’t have a single noteworthy player who has a contract expiring this year other than Iginla.

Makes it tough to kickstart a rebuild in one year.