Crosby and Penguins up next for Habs

The Canadiens, coming off a 5-3 loss to the Maple Leafs Saturday night in Toronto, didn’t practise Sunday as the team held its annual Skate with the Canadiens promotional event at the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens will practise at 11 a.m. Monday in Brossard as they begin preparations to face Sidney Crosby and the Penguins Wednesday night in Pittsburgh. The Canadiens will then face the Red Wings Friday night in Detroit before returning home to take on the Washington Capitals on Saturday.

On Sunday, Crosby was named captain for Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics.

The Canadiens returned defenceman Nathan Beaulieu and forward Joonas Nattinen to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs after Saturday’s game. But on Sunday afternoon the Canadiens called Beaulieu back up again. Both players were called up Friday and played against the Maple Leafs Saturday night.

(Photo by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

Van Riemsdyk scores winner for Leafs, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

‘We can be a very average team,’ Habs captain Gionta says, by Pat Hickey

How did a jersey tug become an insult, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

An “El Classico” matchup in Toronto, Canadiens.com

Leafs’ Kadri responds to trade talk with statement game, montrealgazette.com

Canadiens assign Beaulieu and Nattinen to Bulldogs, hamiltonbulldogs.com

Leafs win statement game over Canadiens, Toronto Star

Leafs drop Habs for fourth straight win, Toronto Sun

Crosby named captain for Team Canada in Sochi, Postmedia News

1. B says:

I like the way Vail has responded since being handed a more offensive role for Windsor.

–Go Habs Go!–

2. Propwash says:

So, Emelin and Diaz practicing as a d-pair… Timo, find yourself a barf bag bud.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

3. twilighthours says:

Matty/Burly,

thanks for the “spade a spade” stuff. I learned a ton. That was great.

• habstrinifan says:

Hey what about the John–son thing? Not erudite enough for you? Go ahead you dont have to sugar-coat… tell me if my interjections were stoopid. I can take it. I dont mind if you call a spade a spade.

4. Mattyleg says:

So, Lars Eller.
    (Shiram mentioned him below, and I didn’t want to hijack his comment with a long blurb about only one part of his post!)

I was always a little uncertain about his capabilities.
    Early on, he always looked slow to make decisions with the puck, often got caught in possession, and didn’t seem to have a great vision of the ice.

I didn’t think he’d be a top-2 centreman, but that opinion got me more or less tarred and feathered on here, so I kept it to myself.

At the beginning of this season, he came out of the gates flying, and I expressed my pleasure that he was doing well, but I qualified that by saying that he has to play like that all season to shake off his reputation.

Now, nearly 50 games into the season, he has 10 goals and 10 assists, and 1/4 of those points were in the first two games of the season.

I don’t buy that Eller has been sabotaged by Therrien by having Gally taken off his line – Plekanec has produced with different linemates throughout his career – so don’t even try that as a reason for his shortcomings!! :)

What do you see Eller’s future as?
    Is this 3rd-line centre role only a proving-ground to bring his physical game up to scratch so that he can become a powerful top-2 centre, or is he destined to be a 3rd line centre with some skills (sometimes)?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I thought he was one of the better forwards on the ice for the Habs Saturday. In particular he was one of the few that went to the net looking for rebounds etc… His physicality has really come a long way. I still think he could be a #2 center on this team. However, with Plex here and DD here and Galchenyuk on the way, who knows.

I like him a great deal.

• shiram says:

We need to put his “slump” in perspective, he’s got only 4 less points than Desharnais, and DD is getting a pass from most around here these days.
      He’s also about our only guy that can win north of 50% of his draws.
      DD and Eller have the same amount of even strength point, DD getting his extra points on the PP.
      So number wise he’s not far off from our supposed #1 offensive center right now.

This team is hard to judge with things such as these, every player seems to go through tough stretch of non-production.

I don’t think he’s been put in a position to succeed as a top line center and as such his game is that, a third line C that can chip in with offense.
      We lack top talent scoring so, we can only have one worthwhile top 6 line.

• twilighthours says:

Didn’t Larry get about 7 of his points in the first week? DD’s got 23 in the last 27, I don’t think Eller is even close to that.

• shiram says:

No certainly not, but over 48 and 46 games respectively, Eller’s got 20 points and DD 24.
          Just to show their production over that period of time is not all that different, especially if you consider that DD gets more PP.

So if we can cut DD some slack for not producing in his first 23 or so games, we should maybe cut some slack to Eller as well.

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not being hard on him, and I haven’t heard too much complaining about him (maybe I haven’t been paying attention…) I just wonder about his role.

• shiram says:

No one’s been hard on him, AFAIK, but I’m guessing that has to do with his physical play and defensive responsibilities.
            He’s been cold on production, but that’s something that is affecting the whole team, no one is on pace to reach 60 points this season.

Habs are 29th for goals scored at ES, and the PP is going down too, no one is scoring goals outside of Max and Pleks.
            Tough to expect top 6 production out of anyone in that situation.

• Mattyleg says:

True, but it’s not too much to ask individuals to step up.

• shiram says:

Step up from what?
            He’s not playing bad, he’s doing an ok 3rd line C job. He’s doing what he can with the minutes, line mates and play style given to him.
            The team as a whole cannot score, our third line C is third in our centers for points, seems reasonable to me. He’s shooting at a decent clip, with a good shooting%.
            He’s our 7th most productive forward, which makes sense as he is out of the top 6…

• Mattyleg says:

I guess if you put it in a team perspective, that’s fine, but I am just thinking individually. As in he could be producing more, even with a defensive role on the team.

I don’t think I’m being overly-critical of him, and I am essentially agreeing with you, only adding that it would be nice to see him push himself more offensively.

• boing007 says:

Maybe someone should consider MT’s role in this present mess? He broke up the EGG line and the three players who made up that line are not playing as well on separate lines since then.

Richard R

• twilighthours says:

Eller is an excellent athlete who is merely good at hockey. He is not actually a great hockey player, but his size, speed, strength allow him to be effective. What I mean, more specifically, is that he lacks the attributes (vision, awareness, sense) that we typically associate with great players.

I’m not sure where that leaves him on the depth chart, or what we might expect as a ceiling for him.

• Cal says:

Agree with this. If Eller ends up as a strong checking 3rd line center, there’s nothing wrong with that.
        He’s been solid, but we can’t call him a big scoring threat.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Eller is an interesting situation. I’ve been debating this myself lately.

The thing with Eller is that he has a ton of high end skill. He has great hands and has those quick transitional movements (which allow him to create space for himself) down low. He’s quite good along the boards and is developing into a decent “two-way” center.

I thought he could be a perennial 20-25 goal scorer – to a degree I think he still can. However, there’s no question he’s inconsistent. There are times when he looks like our best forward. Then there’s other games where you hardly notice him.

I still maintain that he should be getting A LOT more PP time (based on his skill set listed above), but I digress.

At the end of day, he has failed to be a consistent point getter thus far and it’s disappointing. However, I think there’s still room for improvement and I would NOT be trading him (he’s defensively responsible and may very well round out to be larger Pleks in the not too distant future).

Lastly, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if sometime over the next few years, Eller had a breakout season like Steen.

• Mattyleg says:

He may have great hands, but he doesn’t use them!
        As a 3rd-liner, he should be taking advantage of the lighter matchups (and possibly 3rd-pairing d-men) and be more creative.

I’d love to see him have a breakout, and it would be nice to see how he works on the PP, but he hasn’t shown one particular advantage – no amazing shot, à la Max (or Bourque, it has to be admitted), no visionary puck-movement à la DD, and no great net presence à la Gally.

• shiram says:

I’d keep him as 3rd line C for ES and PK duties, but would tack him on with Gio and Pleks for the second PP wave. He’s a big body and can dig pucks out of the corner.
          That said he’s been used mostly as a secondary shutdown guy after the Pleks line, he’s not always getting those soft matchups.

In fact he’ll probably get the Malkin line after Pleky is dealt the Crosby line.
          Scary.

• B says:

Eller had a ton of PP TOI earlier in the season, way more than Desharnais at the time. He didn’t do a lot with it and his usage there went down. Currently, Desharnais has about 25% more PP TOI than Eller and 300% more PP points.

I like Eller on the PK over the PP and prefer Galchenyuk on the PP.

–Go Habs Go!–

• shiram says:

Or you could say DD got 6 more points with an additional 35 minutes of powerplay…

• B says:

Wow, that’s pretty good, a point per 5.83 minutes of PP time pace over those 35 minutes.

Overall:
            Backstrom leads the league with 27 PP points and averages a point for every 6.70 minute of PP time.
            Second place Ovechkin with 24 PP points gets a point for every 9.51 minute of PP time so far this season.
            Desharnais averages about a point per 11.94 minutes of PP time.
            Eller is averaging about a point per 24.66 minutes of PP time.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Until Eller plays with offensive players we have no idea what will become of him. What we do know is that when he and the G’s were together, they were productive.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

Very true, and seems most have forgotten how good he was on that line. He also seems far more comfortable at center than wing.

• habstrinifan says:

You seem more analytical re Eller’s here than in your true but clearly ‘closed for discussion’ statement “I think it is good Eller is willing to take on any role the coach asks of him.”

I posted about Eller and Gallagher yesterday which is why the present conversation is interesting to me.

• Mattyleg says:

As I said, he should be playing his own game regardless of his pairings.
        Plekanec was always productive, even when he was paired with a refrigerator and a broken-down accordion, and Bournival made enough of his ice-time by attacking the net, taking shots, and being the standout on his line to get bumped up.

Perhaps Eller’s ‘graduation’ is being hampered by the top two positions being taken, but that shouldn’t hold him back from playing like he means it.

• Habfan17 says:

Tell that to the coach. You need to remember, he has to follow what Therrien tells him or he will end up in the press box again. Not to mention that he was doing very well with Gally and Gallagher, since then he has had to play with different wingers almost every game and sometimes from shift to shift. Given his usage, he is still doing very well. As far as consistency, take any player on the team and you will see their points have come in short periods of time, fits and spurts, even Patches! Until the coach adjusts his system to fit the players, we will keep having low offensive output from the players.

Habfan17

• The_Truth says:

I would argue that two legit offensive wingers need to play with a better offensive center than Eller to maximise their game. Eller has below average playmaking ability and vision and is not the right center for a scoring line.

If this team would get a top 6 winger, they should play with Pleks way before Eller. I would also rather a guy like Wheeler for example play with DD and Max before Eller

• Old Bald Bird says:

I think we have to ask ourselves what happened and what happens next. He was arguably our best forward toward the end of last year and beginning of this year. He’s become a pk guy and not a pp guy, which certainly has to have an effect. He was also stripped of his productive linemates. He plays pretty well in the role he has been given. So what do we do now?

• The_Truth says:

Many of us could see Eller was a 3rd line center from day one. He has very good skating ability, good puck handling and a somewhat physical forecheck. He is lacking in hockey sense, vision, playmaking ability and shooting ability and doesn’t go to the net. Put that all together and you get an above average 3rd line checking player.

He’s never shown any real top 6 upside in his career, so I don’t get why people think he would now. He has had a lot of icetime, playing with Chucky for most of the year and just doesn’t have it offensively. It’s been a good few years now and he isn’t improving in that sense. I think he is good in his role, but is very overrated on this site as a potential 1st or 2nd center.

There are a lot of younger centers in the league that are much better for being a top 6.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I could see him being very productive on a top line. He has never been on one, so it’s hard to know. How would he fare with the likes of Pacs + Cole (of 2 years ago but now if you know what I mean) ? I think a line like that could be awesome.

• boing007 says:

I agree with you.

Richard R

• The_Truth says:

I would think a guy like DD or Pleks would do better than Eller on a top line with a Patches and Cole. I just don’t think Eller’s offensive game is all that good to compliment shooters. I think DD and Pleks are just more skilled playmakers and have to agree with MT’s usage of Eller considering what he has shown.

5. mrhabby says:

Iam really getting it at work from LOAF fans. They love to brag about Saturday night. Man getting tired of this mediocure play by the habs. Longing for consistency and some more top notch talent.

• shiram says:

Point them to the standings…

• habstrinifan says:

That’s not foolproof. Just wait on Sochi and show them how the HABS really play.

I think the HABS are gonna be front and centre on every national team. Hope so anyways.

• I took a beating on fb Saturday night. My best comebacks were the following.

1. Hey if you can beat the Habs, you can beat anybody.
      2. We understand that beating us is like winning the Stanley Cup, so congrats.
      3. Great game tonight, you really (cough cough) out played us.
      4. There is only one rivalry with the Habs, it’s the Bruins, all you are is a team that gets in the way once in a while.
      5. Phaneuf 7 million, good luck.

Not many of my pals disagree, but my Leaf fans are good people, and smart hockey fans….otherwise they wouldn’t be my friends :lol:

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• ClutchNGrab says:

You can remind them they will all cheer for Price and Subban and not for Kessel and JVR in a few weeks.

6. CJ says:

Based on line rushes this morning, Emelin and Diaz could be odd men out. Lots can change, but curious to see what happens as they prepare for Pittsburgh. Murray would seemingly have something to prove against his former employer. Emelin, based on his play deserves a game in the press box. I don’t understand Bouilion over anyone, but I’ll wait before passing judgement.

7. CJ says:

No disrespect intended, but in my humble opinion the worst part of the PK shirt grab is reading it dissected among Montreal fans. Nobody extends a non issue like we do. I’m as guilty anyone else for having weighed in.

I often wonder if the reason that TSN, CBC, Cherry, etc., raise this stuff is because they know they can get a rise out of our fan base and extend the “issue” by an extra five days. Hook, line and sinker. I didn’t see an issue, but immediately recognized that it was going to go national. It wasn’t, and it has.

I love watching PK, and love the fact that he acknowledged the Canadiens fans who took over the CTC in Kanata.

I’ll do myself a favour now and place a personal moratorium on the subject.

Toews got a 10 minute misconduct for throwing his broken stick in the crowd. The gif of his reaction is pretty good, he obviously had no idea that the stick went over the glass.

• shiram says:

Those guys have so much to think about already, he knew he could not keep his broken stick, that’s a penalty, so he just chucked it… heh Live and learn

I am gonna go out on a limb and assume that

a. Therrien hasn’t been fired yet
    b. Ditto for Bergevin
    c. Habs D still sucks
    d. Habs are still full of munchkins
    e. Habs powerplay also still sucks

Did I cover everything?

10. frontenac1 says:

McCarron and Zottl get into a wrestling match last night.

11. shiram says:

Trade proposal around here always feature the same players… Diaz, Bourque, Gio, maybe a third, we’ll take your top 6 forward with size thank you!

Realistically though, you have to give to get, and you have to find guys that would be worth something to another team.

Eller, Gallagher, Gorges, they seem to be players that could be traded for or as part of a package that gets a meaningful return for the Habs.

Eller seems to be settling in a third line C job, he’s not consistent on offense to warrant being a legitimate top 6 center, and has issues playing wing. He can still improve, he’s got size and would make a solid addition to a team looking for C depth.

Gallagher, he’s a pesky goal scorer, but he too has issues with consistency. He’s also another small player on a small team. Like Eller, he’s a player i greatly enjoy watching, but if the team is to shed it’s small stature, it would do to get something worthwhile for him now. He’s still very young, and could improve alot still. Could be a great return.

Gorges is an ok shut down D, with vaunted leadership qualities, he’s limited in alot of department but could be worthwhile to a team looking for to solidify they bottom pairings.

Anyways, I’m not saying we need to trade any of those, but if you wanna make a proposal for a trade, try to figure out the other teams need and be realistic.

A package of Bourque, Diaz and a 4th round pick won’t get you a top 6 forward…

• habstrinifan says:

That was my question in a previous post. Are Eller and Gallagher beneficiaries or victims of the coaching. One can also add Prust.

• shiram says:

Tough to say, who knows how Therrien and Co. do with those players when the mics and cameras are off?

Eller seems to be ok, but as I said, he’s not developing for a higher role on the team, he seems to be settling in for a third C role, of checking, hitting and being responsible.

You can’t fault Gally’s effort, and he certainly buzzes the net. Maybe it would work better if we shot more, but only Max shoots on that line.

Prust, well injuries seem to be an issue with him.

• sheds88 says:

i would like to see Eller get Desharnais ice time ( 5 on 5 & powerplay ) before willing to deal him.

• shiram says:

They get about 14 mins ES time per game both.
            Eller does get 50 seconds less PP per game, and you have to figure he gets the second wave or just before it reverts to ES.
            But he’s getting plenty of TOI, overall.

Ha! And people think PK grabbing his crest is bad, check out this speed skaters reaction after the race! Priceless, reminds me of how I react to TSN or Sportsnet as they “report” the latest out of Montreal.

• Sportfan says:

That’s priceless, lol and really really bad sportsmanship lol!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Mattyleg says:

Ha!

As a friend said of Anderson; “You want something to prevent excessive celebration? Try not letting in 5 goals.”

Same goes for our speed skater: You mad, bruh? Win the race next time.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• I’m not a fan of the trash talk either, but my problem is that other similarly chatty guys don’t attract anywhere near his amount of negative attention. Marchand may be reviled, but he’s not in the headlines. And Sidney Crosby chirps all game long, but Toronto’s media would put him in line for sainthood if they could — and that’s after he pulled Hartnell’s hair in the playoffs… Guys like Lapierre don’t even merit a mention on HNIC or in the papers. So why all the hate for Subban, unless it’s the obvious…

[Oops, replied to the wrong post!]

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

13. smiley says:

I LOVE PK as much as anybody on this site. He is the most exciting player since Guy Lafleur. I hope he is a Hab for the next 20 years.
    I just wish he would cut out the trash talking a little bit. My TO colleagues say he trash talks the entire game-like Sidney Crosby or Brad Marchand. I don’t mind the celebrations but maybe cut back on the trash talk. That belongs in the NFL.

14. habstrinifan says:

Would you trade Briere for Lacavalier now… contract length and everything.

• Habfan17 says:

No, I think it would hurt the Habs over the last couple of years. I think they need to look towards the players in Hamilton or to a trade for younger, longer term players that fit their needs.

Habfan17

• Blade says:

Agreed. Term is the big thing. You may not like Briere, but it is only a two year term. Not weighed down longer than that, which is a risk with Lecavalier

• habstrinifan says:

Forget the ‘like’..straight hockey plus-minus and adding my buyout scenario and also adding that both players accept the trade…. do you do it. Basically the ‘hockey question’ is Lecavalier or Briere for season and a half… which helps the team more.(if any).

• habstrinifan says:

Asuuming the following then:

A) you dont buy out briere so you have his contract all rest of this season and next.
      b) You can have Lecavlier’s contract same period ($4.5mill vs $4mill) rest of this year and next but then you buy him out.
      So the ‘hockey’ question is who give syou more bang for the buck (if any at all) for 1 and a half year… Briere or Lecavalier.

I would do it but then again I would be keeping spending many restless nites wondering why I am so stoooopid. It’s just this feeling I still have re Lecvalier in Mtl.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Lecavalier has a No Movement Clause…so we can forget about that as we all know how he just can’t wait to play in Montreal.
      Then he sees how his buddie Briere has been treated by…

15. Thomas Le Fan says:

Wow, 49ers got a taste of the refereeing that the Habs often experience. Worst reffed game since the Packers and Seahawks two years ago. Incredibly bad. How do they miss that roughing the kicker call? The call at the end of the first half may have cost SF points, as well. Many other missed or bad calls. Does anyone think the NFL is pushing the Hawks? I hope Peyton Manning and the Broncos destroy them. OMAHA! Go Broncos!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

16. Eddie says:

How many goals would Bourque score if he was traded to Pittsburgh and played on Crosby’s wing?

17. habstrinifan says:

@Mattyleg,HabinBurlington,Asad-B.

Here on HIO you can indeed call a spade a spade. But you CANNOT, I repeat CANNOT call a certain Texas ex-president a JOHN–SON…even if Lady Byrd herself said he was a John–son.

18. frontenac1 says:

Hola amigos! Both underdogs can”t cover the spread yesterday. Heading in to the Saloon to pay of my wagers and watch some Hockey. Flyers at 1pm and Bruins/Kings at 3pm. Early line has Broncos / Seahawks even? Hmm.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Broncs will romp.

• frontenac1 says:

I would think they should be favored but, jeeze that Seattle D is something else. Probably why the over/under is 47. Still 2 weeks to go and the Vegas boys won’t start getting serious for a while. Plenty of time. Saludos!

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Easier when the offence can’t hear anything. That won’t be the case in New York. Although legal, the 12th man is blatant cheating in a poorly designed stadium. I hope they all go deaf. Go Broncos!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

Amazing how the NHL puts games on in the afternoon for Martin Luther King day and other U.S. significant dates, but they can’t put hockey on a weekday afternoon for Canadian Thanksgiving.

Enjoy your afternoon Front, I paid my debts yesterday, as soon as i walked in the whole place started hooting and hollering. They were quite happy that the Hab fan arrived, with money no less.

CHeers bud! Didn’t see Kennedy yet, so that is one debt I have to pay still.

19. Mattyleg says:

Good morning!
    TGIM!
    AmIright?

Read a comment below about trading Markov.

Very bad idea for many reasons, but most of all because the reason mentioned for trading him – a return to glory – could never be achieved with a team whose players believe that they could be traded anywhere in a heartbeat regardless of how well or how badly they play simply because the GM thinks he can get ‘value’ for them.

Many fans simply see players like stocks and shares to be shifted and moved around when they don’t ‘produce’, and use the old saw that ‘hockey is a business, like any other’, so all the same rules should apply across the board. This is obviously not the case, and hockey is a much more complex issue than crap-shooting on the stock-market.

Player security is a vastly underrated commodity. Players need to know that they will be rewarded for good play by increased ice-time (which all players desire) and job security, NOT being shipped off to Columbus at the first possible opportunity to give another player a try-out in the hopes that he’ll be better than you.

This is also why it’s important to have a head coach that stays in that position for a long period of time, and a GM who does the same. That way, players are not trying to figure out what the new coach wants done every couple of years, and the ones coming up can have a good idea of what the team is looking for in them. Kind of like how schools that change teachers all the time generally have worse student grades than those who have a strong core of teachers for many years.

…Well that was a long morning diatribe, wasn’t it…?

• Habfan17 says:

hey Matty

I don’t agree with your reasoning that teams can’t be competitive or as you say :return to Glory” if they trade players who are playing well and have committed to the team. Players today realize, with the cap and the parity, teams must do all they can to maximize their assets. Philly traded both Carter and Richards which no one thought they would do. They still get big name free agents to sign and they are competitive.

There is no way a team can recapture the glory of the 70’s Habs or 80’s Islanders and Oilers. The business side has changed too much and there are too many teams. The best anyone can hope for is to be like Detroit.

Having said that, I would like to see Markov stay for two more seasons, depending on what he wants in dollars. He would be a huge help with the young defencemen that will be coming up. I would trade Gorges and Diaz

Habfan17

• Mattyleg says:

Your example ignores the fact that there was significantly more behind the Carter/Richards trade than just ‘moving assets’, but perfectly illustrates the point that I was making.

As far as ‘moving assets’ goes, that trade made no sense whatsoever, considering that what came back was nothing special compared to what they lost, despite Simmonds’ strengths.

The reason they made that trade was exactly what I’m talking about – team morale. There was a very bad vibe in the dressing room (some people talked about Carer/Pronger camps) and it was affecting the way the team played as a group, which is exactly what can happen if you trade away a popular player who is playing well.

And the example you illustrate as the best model, Detroit, has a long record of hanging on to their veterans. Lidstrom springs to mind…

• Habfan17 says:

Very true, but I still disagree. teams are forced o let players go as they are priced out of their budgets and players have no problem leaving for greener ($) pastures. That is why there are no movement/trade clauses. I think the players would understand. Beregvin has locked up the core players long term and the players see that too. They understand to win, the team needs certain pieces and need to get something back.

I will ask you, don’t you think the players who were with the team when Koivu, Komisarek, Kovalev and some other were aloud to walk and the team got nothing in return, felt betrayed when they knew they needed to fill holes in the roster. On the other side, how do you think they felt letting some of them walk, for example Koivu. After all he did with and for the team. I think they players would have understood if he was asking more than they could afford and they had traded him to help the team.

Players want to win and if they see the move was made to make the team better and give then that chance, they will be on board. It would be different if they were always trading veteran players.

They see how the Habs treated Boullion, Moen, and many other players. It is now part of the business, The Habs have done it in the past and that was a big part of what made them successful.

Habfan17

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t really follow your logic, I’m afraid.
            I’m not being difficult, I just have trouble figuring out what you’re saying.

I think that Koivu was allowed to walk because he didn’t fit in with the future vision of the team. That is fine, because he wasn’t producing as much anymore. With defencemen it’s different. Allowing him to finish his season as a Hab and get a good ovation, as the feeling was that he’d be let go was clear, was the most respectful thing that the Habs could have done for him. Trading him off to wherever just so that they could get something for him sounds like a nice deal from a purely ‘business’ perspective, but once again, it leaves a bad taste in people’s mouths.

I don’t think that players get annoyed that the team doesn’t get a ‘return’ on a player to patch holes. But then again, that’s just speculation from you and I on both sides!

• third generation haber says:

Cheers for the reply Matty, enjoyed your points.

I would still argue that trading Markov is for the best. I don’t want anyone thinking they could be “traded in a heartbeat”. I’m hoping that a commitment will be made to the young core of our team; as you said it’s important (about 14 of our current players). I want to see these guys get locked down long-term.

But, I don’t want us committing to anyone that isn’t part of us hopefully becoming contenders in a few years, and I can’t see Markov being a part of it, likewise Diaz, Gionta, Bourque, Murray, Parros, you get the picture.

I hope we put all of our eggs in the rebuild basket; meaning drafting, trades, and UFA’s.

j.p. murray

• Mattyleg says:

Fair enough, but I see Markov as a part of that future, as a role model.

I think it’s especially important in a position like defence, where age and experience tend to be greater assets than at any other position.

And I think we should stay away from UFA’s!! Too expensive, and the return is too uncertain! (Briere, Clarkson…)

20. commandant says:

Checking in on the Snubs. We know that Martin St. Louis is ripping things up after being left off team Canada, but what about other guys. Is there any uptick (or downtick) in performance from being left off an Olympic squad?

5 NHL Rookies who we will continue to hear from past this season (includes one darkhorse).

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

21. Asad_B says:

Good Morning,

Today I would like to rant a little. This is regarding the whole PK celebrating issue. I persoanlly believe PK is the best thing that has happen to this organization since Patrick Roy. He is one of the best D’men in the league. All this criticism agains PK would not happen if he was from Red Deer and looked like Drew Doughty, Canada would be praising him for his actions and saying “its the love for the game”. Since day 1 I have not like the way Therrien has treated PK, starting with not letting him and Price do there routine celebration, very weak! They are lucky PK has more patience for this crap. There are a lot of other idiots (brad Marchand) who do not get more booed then PK. Wake up people and call a spade a spade.

Thank You.

• Mattyleg says:

(unfortunate choice of expression at the end of that, Asad…)
      But I agree with the gist of it.

• Habs1962 says:

agreed ! I was at the game in Ottawa and it was Great the PK showed us and the other 12000 screaming HABS fans the CH !! Great for the fans! Great for the Game ! Teammates mobbed him and Price and the entire team !
      Was at a Habs Alumni game yesterday in Perth Ontario and Chris “Nuckles’ Nilan grabbed the CH twice for the fans after his HAT TRICK goal !! Good for Nilan !! I expect that was in Support of PK !!
      Go Habs !!

• Eddie says:

Grabbing the crest on the front of the jersey is an act of MODESTY, not the opposite which the Subban haters keep telling everyone.

It means you’ve scored for the team, the team is what matters, so I show my team crest.

The world is going nuts when an athlete grabs his crest on the front of his jersey and he’s criticized for it.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

The NHL is a dinosaur organization run by old guys that hate individuality and can’t stand players who stand out from the crowd, believing it damaging to their teams and hockey itself. To suggest that it is racist, however, is silly. By the way, is it not also somewhat bigoted to suggest that all black people are flamboyant, conspicuously dashing, outgoing people and that’s why P.K. plays like he does? Hmmm? Just saying.
      That said, we need more players like P.K., not less. Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• montreal ace says:

Asad I think you win as a team, and celebrate as a team, exuberance that just happens is exciting, a planned ritual after a game looks lame and staged.

22. Cal says:

So, Halak + who for Ryan Miller?

An interesting read from Jim Matheson with tidbits from around the league. Of course the first point he discusses is of some interest to us Habs fans. ;-)

• CJ says:

Halak. Yeah, I think their goaltending needs an upgrade. Buffalo is poised to reap another bountiful harvest of draft picks and prospects. Tim Murray, if he plays his cards correctly, is going to have an unbelievable talent pool to work with.

• Cal says:

Tim Murray will be stuck with a very weak team for about 5 years. Prospects up the wazoo but all they are is potential.
        How many Rene Bourques will his team draft?

• CJ says:

3-4 years I agree with. Given Murray’s draft record, I think he will do just fine. That said, your point is valid. They are an unrealized asset and essentially unknown commodities until they make the show. I really like Brayden McNabb. They will also need to retain salary to make the cap floor, so that will influence decisions going forward.

• Habs1962 says:

Murray drafting in Ottawa for 7 years and they sit out of the playoffs again. Not sure how their farm team looks?

• CJ says:

They currently sit out of the playoffs due to spotty goaltending, along with inconsistent play from the Captain. I think they are a playoff team and will be a dangerous match up.

Their farm team is a Calder Cup winner and currently holds one of the top records in the league.

Brian Murray has not made all the right moves, but Tim Murray has handled the draft exceptionally well.

I live in Ottawa, and trust me when I say it pains me to say this, but I would not want to play them in a seven game series, especially if Lehner is is net.

• Luke says:

Lecavalier playing 3rd line wing?

I guess that’s what the extra million per over 4 years, the extra 6″ and 40lbs gets you… bumped up from the 4th to the third.

DD to Chicago to play with Kane? Oh yah.

Halak and their first for Budaj.

• Cal says:

If that blog has any truth to it, why not Despres for Gionta?

• CJ says:

I’d do it in a heartbeat.

• Strummer says:

Why would Pitt?

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Maritime Ronn says:

Pitt would never ever do that deal

• Cal says:

Blog said Despres available for a rental winger. Gionta is not a defensive liability and would give the Pens more depth.

Gionta would/could effectively replace the injured Pascal Dupuis, the Penguins have a great deal of depth at Defence in other prospects.

It isn’t far fetched.

• CJ says:

They wouldn’t. At least they shouldn’t.

They shouldn’t? Is the goal of a team like the Penguins to win the Cup when they are loaded for bear? I think yes it is, Gionta is far from a bad player. I don’t understand the disrespect Gio gets here. It isn’t his fault the team has so many undersized forwards. Watching the game Saturday, Gionta is still very effective in many ways. Put him on team like Pittsburgh and he could produce just fine.

Yes Despres is an excellent young dman with upside, but Pittsburgh has a team built to win now, a trade like this could be possible and be sensible. I could see a player like Gionta sign another contract with the Penguins.

• CJ says:

I hope you’re right. That would be an amazing deal for Gionta.

• The_Truth says:

Pittsburgh could get a way better rental player using Despres. They wouldn’t waste him on Gio.

24. Sportfan says:

After reading the story about Drewiske I wonder if he’ll get a chance to play this year and if he’ll have a bigger impact with a repaired shoulder.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

25. Steeltown Hab says:

One of the big 3 d prospects need to be with Mtl full time. You don’t develop and get used to NHL speed and decision making logging minutes in the AHL.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Maritime Ronn says:

Agreed, and sometimes the game of talented players translates better in the NHL than does it in the AHL.

The only CBA problem with that and barring any further injury and Drewiske coming back, is that the Habs will have 8 Dmen with 1 way NHL contracts.

• Luke says:

While DD2 is on a one-way, at $600,000 he can be sent to the minors (he must clear waivers) and while he still gets paid 600k to play in Hamilton, that money does not impact the cap.

So there’s that… bright side and what-not.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi luke
          If sent down I believe the formula used is Cap Hit minus $925K to determine the NHL Hit, so yes you are exactly right…but how does that look after giving the guy a 2 year-1 way contract?
          A bit of a mess, isn’t it?

• Dust says:

maybe not, but what you do develop in the ahl is proper positioning. That is very important for Defenseman. I see no problem with the “Big 3″ spending the year in the ahl. They will be better next year for it.

• Luke says:

I think the plan may be something like this:

They got time at the beginning of the year to see how different the game is at the NHL level.
      Sent to AHL to work on areas that they learned need improvment.
      Recalled to see how far they’ve come and if they are ready or need more AHL time.

I’d like to see Beaulieu phased in during the last half of the season, so he’s the Diaz replacement at the start of next year.

26. Luke says:

I think that raising the Stanley Cup over your head and kissing it is taunting and disrespectful to your opponents.

27. I feel the need…..the need for _________!

CAREY CAREY CAREY

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

28. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Habfan10912

Hi Jim

Re Bourque, that one is a real head scratcher.
    Here’s a guy that not that long ago – 2009-10/2010-11, had consecutive 27 goal seasons in Calgary. ( 21 goals the season before)
    On the Habs during those 2 years, only Gionta scored more goals in each season.

No doubt the guy has talent, yet so many other questions beg to be asked/answered.
    Not everyone can handle Montreal and all of the pressures and distractions.
    – Is this this the wrong city, team, coach for him?
    – Did the severe concussion he experienced have lingering affects on how he decided to play the game moving forward?

– Before the big contract he signed with Calgary that came into effect for the 2010-11 season (6 years/$20M), he never had security experiencing 2 different contracts of 2 years in term with earnings between $750K-$1.4M.
    Did he just decide to play it out after the concussion, or were there many signs before that?

Finally, will this sit in the hot dog popcorn section get him going or will the opposite occur?

Here’s the catch. If he ever does get going and uses ALL of the tools he has, that mission to secure a big scoring winger will be answered internally.
    If not, he will just be 1 more roster problem to add to an already high number of ‘roster problems’ and question marks moving forward.

• Sportfan says:

I’m wondering if it is the fact he isn’t handling Montreal pressure with the the concussion, because last year before the injuries in the shortened season we were praising the same guy. Funny enough when he was scoring the 20+ goals Calgary fans were saying he couldn’t handle the pressure.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Sportfan- To add to that, he actually was one of the few players/forwards that actually showed up in the 5 game loss to Ottawa.
        He lead that Habs along with Gallagher with 2 goals and was 1 of only 5 forwards to score a goal. He was also 3rd in hits for Habs forwards during that series.

• rhino514 says:

All I see are posts about how Bourque isn´t trying, which I think are very unfair.
      He wasn´t the same player last year after coming back from his concussion. Neither was Diaz. Neither are the majority of players, but they don´t called called out for not trying. A concussion is a very serious thing, and it has consequences both physically and phsycologically. Bourque plays a phyical game, and it is quite possible that all of thos hits have taken a toll on him.
      If you look at the games until fairly recently, he has been playing physically and playing the type of game the habs want him to play, but without results.
      He had two goals disallowed recently which should have counted, so his stats don´t fully tell the story.
      He also may be the type of guy who needs a semblance of stable linemates to produce well, and Therrien has the record so far for habs coaches in line tinkering in a season; he hasn´t kept a stable lineup it seems for more than 2 or 3 games, and of all the forwards he´s probably been moved around the most.
      Bourque is only one of three forwards on the top nine with size, the team is not better off replacing him with another smurf. So I would just let him play.
      i think his games translates well to the playoffs and I think he could surprise. I just don´t think we should be counting on him too much this regular season. He´s the ninth forward, and until someone as big and better comes along, you play him.
      I think his reputation precedes him, any time he has 2 o3 bad games in a row, it´s always put down as lack of effort. But I think the habs dressing room abides lack of effort too well. I´m sure he´s being held to a higher standard here than he was in Calgary. If he isn´t producing, I really suspect it is due to post-concussion issues, “hearing footsteps” perhaps, and everchanging linemates. After Eller, he´s probably the guy, along with maybe Gallagher, who´s been affected most by the musical chairs this season.

• habsguru says:

any recollection who Bourque played on a line with in CAL? is he out of his comfort zone or capability? some guys play better as leaders, some as followers, could it be a compatibility issue?

29. Habfan10912 says:

Since I was in Tampa last week I decided to take on a hockey game. The afternoon of the game I stopped by the ticket office of the Tampa St. Pete Times Forum and was able to purchase a lower level seat directly at center ice for $83.

When I arrived for the game I noted a large amount of Islander fans in attendance. In fact I joked to the usher that there were more Islander fans here then some of their home games in Nassau County.

It’s a wonderful building with the largest scoreboard I’ve ever seen. I have to admit that its so big it was a bit of a distraction for me at times. They also have these cheezy lightning machines at both ends of the ice that create more of that artificial noise I despise at modern day arenas.

Although the game was not a sellout there was a pretty good crowd on hand none the less. The building had a bit of energy until the game started and we were witnessed to the typical trap NHL game we too often see. A great arena none the less.

The ice was horrible. They shoveled the entire ice surface during each commercial break. I would guess that’s because of the climate?

I sat next to a Wings fan from Windsor Ont. Nice guy who’s pretty unhappy with both his team and his arena. He said the fans their are spoiled and the building needs to be replaced.

Anyways, I know I’ve seen some criticism of NHL franchises in non hockey markets but if this game was any indication, it seems to be working very well in Tampa.

Sunshine and Hockey? A perfect vacation if you ask me.
    CHeers.

• Mustang says:

I was at a Habs game at the Bell Centre before Christmas. It now seems to be standard practice that they clean the ice with hand scrapers every time there is a TV commercial time out which is about every 5 minutes of playing time. The Bell Centre also has a sound system that is tuned for people that are almost deaf or that want to be deaf.

It seems like NHL games are slanted much more towards entertainment and less towards the sport now. The big deal appears to be getting your picture up on the scoreboard or constantly using your phone rather than watching how the game is being played. On the other hand, maybe I’m just getting old and grumpy.

Welcome back home Jim, hope you had a great time in Del Boca Vista! Amazed you were able to find a place.

• Today’s games are designed to entertain the young. No doubt about it, and Jim, I caught you dancing in your seat at the Bell and yelling louder than any fan there so don’t complain about the noise. :lol:

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Phil C says:

I went to the season opener there last year and had a similar experience. $99 for seats 10 rows back right on the centre line, yet still a big crowd. Good food at the concessions. After the game, you are right downtown with many hotels, bars, and restaurants in easy walking distance.

• CJ says:

Ice is shovelled during each tv stoppage at every arena.

Tampa is a sweet arena. We also enjoyed the aquarium on game day, which is only a short walk east. I couldn’t get over the outdoor patio, with $2 beers and hot dogs.

Did you happen to notice fans with the patches on their jerseys, STH? I asked a fan and was told all season ticket holders get a jersey with the player of their choice. Embedded inside the patch is a barcode. Ticket holders get this scanned before any purchase at the concession stand or merchandise outlet to save an additional 25%. I thought that was very cool.

30. PrimeTime says:

Another HIO day of “Trade Bourgue, trade Diaz, trade George’s! Get rid of our small forwards except Gally”??? “Why hasn’t MB made us a contender? FIRE MT!!!”…….blah blah blah?? So fricken pathetic!

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

• Habsrule1 says:

Ya, it gets tiresome, doesn’t it? Makes you wonder why we keep coming here and reading it lol

I really wonder what a better coach would have gotten out of these guys. Would Babcock have the Habs ahead of Pittsburgh?

Go Habs Go!!

• PrimeTime says:

I come here for the articles! :)

********************************************************

• Sportfan says:

Its a dysfunctional Habs fan family!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• scotland says:

“so friggin pathetic”

if ya think its only the comments that are “friggin pathetic” you have not watched enough canadiens games

• JUST ME says:

So agree with your comment. It comes with the time of the day. I noticed that certain groups arrive at certain time every day and go on their usual rant and/or miracle trade ideas.
      At the end of the day and the season and next year the situation will have changed ,a few players will be gone ,new ones will take their place but HIO will remain the same with unsatisfied experts that want to change and rule the world…sigh…

Gets to a point when now i go away for a few days or more cause it just is a merry-go-round of the same comments,complaints and negative posters after every game. They are so predictacble that it isn`t funny anymore….

I must admit though that in the middle of those ones there are very interresting and intelligent posters that do bring something usefull to the debate and actually help !

• Habsrule1 says:

Thanks for the shout out in your last paragraph JUST ME!

:-P

Go Habs Go!!

31. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. I’ve been away for a week and just returned home so I can now turn my full attention over to the Habs. Lots of Bourque bashing I see lately. Good. He deserves it. I can accept a lot of things in players but lack of effort is not one of them. At a game I attended this season there was a scrum in a corner with players grabbing each other, pushing and shoving, and jabbing back in forth. I look over at the middle of the ice and there is Rene just skating casually by himself with no interest in joining his teammates. Sad when a player with skill seemingly lacks the drive to utilize it better.

32. Plekasuares says:

Trade one of the prospect Defenceman for something big!

33. Sportfan says:

No Kaepernick, no Brady, heck I just won the superbowl! I’m happy with who ever wins in this game!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

34. Bash says:

Maybe Beaulieu is being showcased for a trade? Perhaps the brain trust sees Pateryn and Tinordi and others as the future on D? He has huge potential and we have to trade something to get something…

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• third generation haber says:

something for something! I couldn’t agree more. Teams are not interested in the players we are trying to get rid of. There is no market for them, or at least, not a rewarding one.

But trading Beaulieu??? He’s a young prospect, probably our best. He might fetch an instant reward, but we’re nowhere close to cup contention. Adding someone by trade won’t save our bacon in the playoffs. Why waste a prospect now? Beaulieu could be hitting his stride in 2-3 years when we may become contenders.

I believe (I know u’ll hate this) we should trade Markov. He has big value now and will be declining soon. Re-signing him now would only prolong our mediocrity. Let’s get a young stud (from the 2011 or 2012 draft) in return who can help us long-term and earn an entry level salary.

Sound crazy? I’m sure it does, but I remember how much we got for Craig Rivet (Patches and Gorges) and believe that in 2-3 years, when Markov is no longer a top pairing guy and making far too much money, we’ll regret not having acquired another young core player when we had the opportunity.

I honestly believe that this is a vital move that could have a huge impact on the habs. If we could acknowledge that we can’t win the cup this year (or next) maybe we could really commit to a rebuild (not only through drafting). Isn’t winning a cup our only goal??? But it would take serious balls on MB’s part to face that kind of music.
      j.p. murray

• Cal says:

Maybe the pair were returned to Hamilton because the Habs don’t play until Wednesday?

35. habstrinifan says:

Last year when we went into the playoffs, the team was sputtering. But at least Eller and Gallagher were bright lights by their play.

If the playoffs were to start today we have no forwards who we can consider bright lights.

Ominous.

36. Biggest_Greek_HABSfun says:

Trade Bourque , trade Diaz asap

• jols101 says:

There’s probably some takers for Diaz but Bourque has 6 goals and 1 assist in 36 games and he makes 3.3 million. I think we are stuck with him.

• Cal says:

Paying half his salary can be done, but there wouldn’t be a return. It’s too bad Bourque doesn’t give a crap about that incredible pay he’s getting.

• jols101 says:

Ya, I keeping forgetting that salary can be retained in a trade. I guess it’s possible then. It would just suck to have salary working against our cap when the player is playing elsewhere.

• Dust says:

Bourque doesn’t have that bad of a contract. Since when is 3.3 a bad contract? He can be traded if MB is ok not taking much back. I don’t think MB is ok with that though. I think he is hoping that, For a low cost of 3.3 a year, if bourque can get back to scoring 20 a year he would be worth it.

• Habsrule1 says:

Since when? Since the player getting it has 7 points in 40+ games, that’s when.
          He is untradeable….even if we pay half his salary….unless he is put into a decent package.

Go Habs Go!!

• scotland says:

diaz would only be picked up by another team with no chance of winning. contenders say no thanks to players of diaz ilk…….matter of fact habs have about 5 players that would fetch anything worth writing about…..and management is keeping them all.

they will have to give gionta away…….jersey might give a 5th rounder for him.

• Sportfan says:

Its time for the NHL to pick up what the NFL does, guaranteed money, making it easier to release players too lol.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• third generation haber says:

I agree, as in get rid of these useless passengers and replace them with gritty hockey players who compete hard on a nightly basis. Diaz should fetch something small, better than nothing, but Bourque’s cap hit for the next 2 years makes him nearly impossible to move. Unless, of course, we trade him for someone else’s headache.

To make a trade we’ll have first acknowledge that we are sellers and next offer players that hold some value for other clubs. The other GM’s aren’t running a charity.

j.p. murray

37. jols101 says:

Looking ahead to the 2014 draft I hope we can nab Nikolay Goldobin. He plays for the Sarnia Sting. He played with Galchenyuk last year as an under age 16 year old. Tonnes of high end skill. He is currently 3rd in OHL scoring but still only ranked late in the 1st round. (must be the mysterious Russian factor).

Sam Bennett who plays for Kingston is the same size and has less points than Goldobin yet is ranked in the top 5 by almost everyone.

My fear is Goldobin will be a late riser in the rankings, much like Samuel Morin last year, and we will miss out on him.

• jols101 says:

Something I just realized about Goldobin is that he has a really late birthday. He is closer in age to the guys that got drafted last year then most of the guys in this years draft. Maybe that accounts for his low ranking.

• Dust says:

Im not a draft expert by any means nor have i seen him play much. From what i’ve read though he is ranked lower because of his play away from the puck and defensively he isn’t that great.

38. CH Marshall says:

I really want this team to go deep in the playoffs. Boys better get ready for post olympics

39. Captmax says:

Maybe, maybe they thought they were good. They send down Beauliue thinking it was fine and later today somebody says they are starting to feel sick. Okay if we are going on the road lets have the back ups with us. White might not be ready but we have Bourque back in the line up and so they travel with enough of the guys to cover anything, due to the flue and we are away till Friday, that might come up.

Honest mistake but with the flu who knows. Better safe than sorry.
    The deal is the Penguins game needs Plekanec to cover Crosby. Does that mean Eller or Briere on his line? or Bourque?

I think Therrien is a coach with too many options? He see’s them hustling at practice and he thinks they are going to give it in the game. Uhhh No. So when wonders don’t happen he starts trying to add to much salt and then ruins the soup.

Bad. Bad. Bad.

Plus he has no spark. Between he and Gionta the leadership is a flatline.

I would take Tortorella any day over the “I am so mad look on my face” Therrien.

Capt

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

And people complain about Subban and JVR? These guys make the NHL look like tiddly-winks when it comes to trash-talking. I won’t even mention the NBA…

• The Jackal says:

Man, it’s stupid how people complain about how a player celebrates after scoring. Have they ever played sports when the games actually mean something, or for that matter, been in anything competitive in which any form of scoring is meaningful? I would venture to say no, they have not.
        I don’t even think JvR should be getting shit. Same with PK. They scored big goals in matches that were between rivals and which the outcomes mattered.

That’s what I hate about the NHL – there is such an backwards and conservative culture regarding player behaviour. Young studs like PK, Ovi, Yak, et al have to tone it down for the arthritic dinosaurs. Youthful exuberance is exactly what the league needs. Not all young stars have the same demeanour as Crosby, and even he is “guilty” of indulging in the moment.

Anyway, to keep it somewhat brief, all I am saying is that the NHL and hockey pundits should embrace the energy that young stars bring and let them have freer reign of their emotions and expression, as well as doing away with the antiquated notions surrounding hockey. If they can be open for homosexuality, and that is a great step and I applaud the NHL for that, they can certainly allow a more unorthodox form of expression. Although I think there should be a line – don’t let it get to NFL/NBA levels but don’t tell PK to stop being PK, don’t admonish Ovi because his stick is too hot, and don’t give a rookie crap for scoring a huge goal in OT.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• reddog24 says:

The main cause for all the BS about PK is caused by Don (School Yard Bully)Cherry with his weekly rants to gain attention to himself. He hates anyone getting attention when he isn’t so creates a big blowup on OUR TAXPAYERS NETWORK with OUR CASH to get the spotlight back on him. Everybody should be going after Rodgers to can this CLOWN before they sign him to a contract. His rants are very close to racism and should not be allowed on Public TV for children to see and hear because we have been Force Feed him along with the Laffs for years that like commercials they grow on you and you start believing their BS.

• Captain aHab says:

Why do writers feel the need to number paragraphs now?

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

40. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Seattle won the “Jerk-Bowl” tonight…both teams with unlikeable coaches and players. Glad to see Kaepernick get his after he disrespected Newton and Carolina fans last week…stupid punk. His coach is not much better.

Best throwing QB against one of the best secondary’s of all time. Cheering for Seattle as their fans deserve a title. Should be fun…

41. third generation haber says:

3 years from now, when our potential cup window could open, we’ll be regretting not having traded Markov b4 the 2014 trade deadline. His value is high now, it will be minimal in a few years, or after the next knee injury. He is a cap problem waiting to happen on a team that needs to commit to a rebuild (through the draft, trades for prospects, and signing useful UFA’s)

j.p. murray

• Marc10 says:

You could resign and trade… but I hear ya.

• db says:

Or trade and resign..

• third generation haber says:

I seem to remember teams making trades pending a contract being pre-negotiated, but I could be wrong. To get full value, I think we need to trade him now, not at the deadline.

If he fetches anywhere what Craig Rivet did (Pacioretty and Gorges), I’ll be thrilled.

j.p. murray

• The_Truth says:

Rivet didn’t fetch Patches and Gorges. He fetched Gorges and a 1st round pick (22nd overall). The Habs then made a good, but lucky selection with that pick. Could easily have been a bust. Still a good return, but there is a difference.

• Captmax says:

Uhhhh, Since there’s no one out there worth trading for and Markov has pretty much said “IN THE NEWS” he wants to stay here, that’s like saying your willing to take a pay cut, Why the HELL would you trade a guy if you get him at a discount. When he can stay, keep the salary cap low and mentor all these “amazing” up and comers?

Markov wants to stay here, he’ll make a deal. Trader him after he’s publicly said that is cutting a huge knife into the moral in the dressing room. If there was any solidarity left it would be gone after such a move.

capt

• third generation haber says:

Very good points Capt.

But, I would do it in a heartbeat because we don’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of winning the cup. Re-signing (a soon to be declining) Markov would only prolong our mediocrity. In other words, he’ll ensure that we continue to finish mid-standings and draft in the middle too.

Trading him for a high prospect from the 2011 or 2012 draft would add a core piece for the next 10 years, at a low cap hit, who would come into his prime as the team does.

I hear u, I have trouble with the idea of Markov leaving, but I’m only interested in returning to glory, not being a perpetual bubble team, and hanging on to players too long instead of committing to a rebuild only delays or prevents the possibility.

To get young stars, you have to draft high (Price won’t allow that), or get them in trade. Without young stars u don’t have a prayer of winning the cup (See: all recent winners).

j.p. murray

• JUST ME says:

I respectfully disagree with you T.G.H. when you say that Markov would only prolong our mediocrity if we were to sign a new deal with him. I could name quite a few players on the roster that would take that title before him ! A Markov playing at 75 % is still better than most guys on the team.

That being said he is the perfect example of things we have to ponder before making a move. If this recipe does not give any results and get us at least as a contender then we must think and consider the possibility of changing things around here even if it means trading away valuable assets .

In the next off season those are the only cards that will really be worth anything in our hand, UFAs and RFAs.

• third generation haber says:

Right u are about other players prolonging our mediocrity! I didn’t, however, feel that Bourque, Gionta, Diaz, and the cube were worth mentioning since their combined trade value plus a loonie might get u a phone call.

I’m focused on Markov since his value is high! A Markov trade could make a huge impact for many years. And, I believe it’s time to bite the bullet and let Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Pateryn have a chance to cut their teeth in the NHL.

Hate to see Markov go, but in a couple years time, no one will remember if we played 1 or 2 playoff series in 2014, they’ll be focused on our new leadership core.

j.p. murray

• piper says:

I agree with you TGH. Love to see Markov to Caps for Tom Wilson. The next big power forward in the league.

• Cal says:

Lidstrom played high level hockey until retiring at age 41. D takes experience. Throwing Markov away for a pick (that’s not guaranteed to even make the team in 3 years) is short-sighted.

• third generation haber says:

Sorry, but he’s no Lidstrom, not even close. And, definitely, I don’t want to throw him away. I’m hoping for a young player (1st rounder), who’s already shining at the NHL or AHL level.

j.p. murray

42. commandant says:

Crosby and Why at least some of the fans in Canad don’t Love Team Canada’s Captain

Warning Shots: Torts and the Canucks.

Memory Lane the Hockey Hall of Fame’s exemption rule (Beliveau, Richard)

Holy sh!t ipads are expensive. Sheesh!

• sirs81 says:

yup I got my in Thailand last year for 230 Canadian. In Canada they are 650….

• ProHabs says:

Get the mini. Made specifically for the Habs and thier fans.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The phones are no better. I’ll never understand why people let themselves get ripped off like this. Brilliant marketing I guess…sort of like Starbucks coffee.

• The Jackal says:

Eh, they are expensive but they are better running than any other smartphone. I’ve had my iphone for 3 years, all dinged up and all, and it still runs great – no problems at all.
        Apple has a rep of being pricey but they make quality stuff.
        Not to say Android is bad but there are so many manufacturers and Android itself is just an OS, you can get a shitty phone or tablet. With Apple you know you get quality stuff, and their customer service is real good too. My old iphone broke and they just gave me a new one.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Mavid says:

+10..have an Ipad (the original) I phone, and a Mac..will never go back..love them all..they work well and are problem free..plus the I cloud moves everything to all devices..don’t need a new I pad with the camera..full bottle of Soya Sauce fell out of the cupboard onto the keyboard of my Mac..took it to an Apple repair station in Halifax (we were on vacation) he took it apart and fixed the noisy fan..no charge..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• habstrinifan says:

What’s an iPad?

Hey did you know they now have those really little phones you can carry around. No wires. You flip open the cover and presto you can call the grandkids.

But I have no grdkids yet. Looks good though. My daughter says she likes this Android fellow real bad.

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think it was the ferocity of the game that was formidable

…actually I’m not an NFL fan either except for certain matchups …certain players

…for instance, would likely watch the Super Bowl if Brady and the Patriots were in

…or the Packers

…Manning only interesting to Me because of his return from a near career injury …it’s been an incredible reinvention of himself

…I played wide receiver in high school …but never have been impressed by the crazy hype of the NFL

…NFL football would be far more interesting to watch if under CFL rules in My opinion

…this Super Bowl I identify more with Seattle as its our next door out here …but I’m not going to give a hoot if something more interesting comes up on Super Bowl Sunday

45. habstrinifan says:

Don’t you ever talk about me!

So Peter Gammons has started a twitter war. When it it comes to last nights game between Calgary Vancouver, not sure I disagree.

• Mark C says:

Why are hockey people/fans so soft and sensitive?

Ironically, Gammons is a big time hockey fan. Guess his mistake was having an opinion that didn’t jive with the old boys club establishment.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Commodore’s comments are funny. But let’s be honest, calling Bettman’s NHL bush league isn’t controversial.

47. Mark C says:

Can’t believe I might have to root for a Manning in the Super Bowl, this Seattle team is thoroughly unlike able.

48. habstrinifan says:

I am no football follower really, but I didnt think was a great game. Poor throws from both quarterbacks. Only highlights were kickers and interceptions.

Seems I am in the minority.

Richard Sherman is a great interview, all class…..

50. frontenac1 says:

Wtf?? Niners?? Choke city!! Didn’t cover! Bastards!

51. punkster says:

Wow what a finish.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

…HOLY CRAP !!! :)

53. Habitant in Surrey says:

…dang, this game is going down to the wire

54. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Seattle has finally become elite …because of Carrol

…I don’t know as a person, but everyone out here in Vancouver are following Seattle

…correct that, maybe not everyone, but lots :)

55. Habitant in Surrey says:

:) …both?

56. Habitant in Surrey says:

:) these guys are jacked

57. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Gerald …looks like You and I will be on opposite sides of the street during the Super Bowl ?

Yup, can’t stand Jim Harbaugh or Pete Carroll. Used to like Seattle as one of my secondary teams, but since Carroll got there I just can’t stand them. Weird I like John Harbaugh, but as a Steeler fan I can’t cheer for Baltimore, but despite being brothers John seems far more respectable.

58. The Teacher says:

That looked painful. This has also been the worst refereed game in nfl history

59. DipsyDoodler says:

Justice for the Niners.

60. Habitant in Surrey says:

…game getting gonzo

61. Habitant in Surrey says:

…that should be 49ers’ ball

…2 bad ref calls

What should happen is both teams destroy each other so that either team gets destroyed by 40+ points in the Super Bowl. Needless to say I will not be cheering for the NFC in the Super Bowl.

62. Mark C says:

What a play! Only to have his knee blown out by a teammate.

63. Habitant in Surrey says:

…damn, that must hurt

64. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Seahawks !!! …whoa !

65. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I have not seen this guy Hendricks that Edmonton traded for play

…but he sounds like the addition We could use

66. Habitant in Surrey says:

…whadda game in Seattle

…regret not being smart enough to be there

67. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Frontenac

…I beg to differ with You compadre :)

…Turdranna is da MUST beat da snot out of

…no contest

Had to scroll back to check, I have no issue with Fronts list. While I hate losing to Toronto, it is a harmless event compared to losing to Boston.

• scotland says:

here ya there, however when a player like NAZIM KADRI is sucking big time and feeling the wrath of leaf fans and trade rumors all over town redeems himself by playing a dominating game against the canadiens (flattened markov on his first shift with the best hit of the night, undressed emelin on his sencond shift of the night to set up the opening goal, and walks through the habs in neutral zone to set up yeat another leaf goal) yes, when NAZIM KADRI put in a better effort and plays better than every forward in the montreal line up……..that stings more than a loss to the bruins.

68. GL says:

Size would be the reason for letting DD go. One small Guy is enough Gallagher.

69. careysubban3176 says:

Haven’t you guys learned by now that the Habs don’t make trades like you guys are offering. If anything they’ll just let them walk once they become ufa.

• scotland says:

very true. i dont even bother playing fantasy gm with the trades they could, should or might make.

last trade that was worth talking about in montreal. craig rivet for patch and gorges. what was that 7 or 8 years ago?

habs looked like they dont have a clue bringing up natinen and playing him for 90 seconds. told the board the day he was called up that “if mt only has 6 minutes a game for bournival?? hows he gonna find time for natinen”????? especially when he has brierre ON THE POWERPLAY!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

70. Habcouver says:

Happy Sunday all.

Waiting patiently for #25

71. GL says:

As for forwards come trade deadline these are the ones I would keep.
    Pleks, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, maybe Bournival The rest if A team offered me something Decent. It would be see yah!!

• Harditya says:

I realize Desharnais had an unfair advantage over Eller as he was always provided with better scoring wingers, but he has been extremely productive as of late. After just 1 point in the first 19 games of the season, Davey has 23 points in last 27 games. That is very impressive, to be able to turn around a season like that.

• smiler2729 says:

The only keepers are the obvious ones: Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• Mike D says:

I’d include Pleky in that list. He’s tied for 2nd in team scoring with Max despite spending the season centering 3 struggling wingers (Gionta, Briere, Bourque) and one who has “hands of Moen”. And he’s easily our most defensively responsible forward to boot.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• scotland says:

he is. he also gets loads and loads of ice time. check any number one center in the nhl with that ice time on pp, pk , reg shift……. they get a point a game plus. not knocking pleks but he looks great only when you compare him to the other habs. when you compare him to the other 29 no 1 centerman…………. its not good. that is a huge knock on the hab management not pleks.

and like the last several years he will have nothing left down the stretch (last year when 19 games without a goal down stretch and 0 in play offs)