Crosby and Penguins up next for Habs

The Canadiens, coming off a 5-3 loss to the Maple Leafs Saturday night in Toronto, didn’t practise Sunday as the team held its annual Skate with the Canadiens promotional event at the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens will practise at 11 a.m. Monday in Brossard as they begin preparations to face Sidney Crosby and the Penguins Wednesday night in Pittsburgh. The Canadiens will then face the Red Wings Friday night in Detroit before returning home to take on the Washington Capitals on Saturday.

On Sunday, Crosby was named captain for Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics.

The Canadiens returned defenceman Nathan Beaulieu and forward Joonas Nattinen to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs after Saturday’s game. But on Sunday afternoon the Canadiens called Beaulieu back up again. Both players were called up Friday and played against the Maple Leafs Saturday night.

(Photo by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

Van Riemsdyk scores winner for Leafs, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

‘We can be a very average team,’ Habs captain Gionta says, by Pat Hickey

How did a jersey tug become an insult, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

An “El Classico” matchup in Toronto, Canadiens.com

Leafs’ Kadri responds to trade talk with statement game, montrealgazette.com

Canadiens assign Beaulieu and Nattinen to Bulldogs, hamiltonbulldogs.com

Leafs win statement game over Canadiens, Toronto Star

Leafs drop Habs for fourth straight win, Toronto Sun

Crosby named captain for Team Canada in Sochi, Postmedia News

1. CJ says:

I’m not sure if the winner this evening will have anything left for the Broncos in the Super Bowl. These guys are killing each other. Thankfully there is two weeks to heal. I’m sure these guys will need it.

Great example of smash mouth and finesse. Beauty game!

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

…NEVER heard a stadium as loud as in Seattle

…amazing either team can think, let alone hear

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…unless there is another GM out there going through a mental breakdown, We do not have premium assets, except Galchenyuk, P.K. or Carey to trade for a difference making trade

…frankly, I feel the simple internal move to move-up Beaulieu, Pateryn and Tinordi will provide what is sorely deficient on Our backend

…it is the holes and deficiencies in Our backend that is a heavy burden to Our offense to play to Their potential

4. Mike D says:

Dear MB,

Lars Eller is currently sucking. THIS would be the optimal time to sign him to a long-ish term extension at a good price. Right freakin NOW.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

5. Haberoooo13 says:

Further to posts below regarding Markov, Capgeek and which direction.
    I think it’s relatively safe to guess that Gionta won’t be back unless it’s a huge discount. So his salary goes to PK’s salary increase.

Who would let Markov go to make a play for Moulson or Vanek?(both are about 30 years old–Vanek will be 30 in about 1 week, Moulson just turned 30). Have size and skill…I know they aren’t bruisers, but would bring a lot of value.
    Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• CJ says:

If the choice was Vanek or Markov, it would be Vanek in a heart beat. Guy has size and skill, and could be a game changer. I’ve mentioned his name myself. My only concern is that he will likely want a 7 year deal. I would have no problem with that if he was 2-3 years in length, but a long term deal could be risky. I like the idea though.

• Mike D says:

I think you are correct that Gio’s time as a Hab is coming to an end – either by the deadline or in the summer.

To your second question, I would not let Markov go for Vanek or Moulson. I don’t really believe in signing UFAs to be your best players/scorers. Maybe I’m just remembering the burn that was the summer of 2009 when we went spend-happy, but I think to get quality top line players, you either have to draft/develop them yourself or acquire them in a trade (the former more so than the latter). People criticize Max for being streaky, but Vanek is even streakier. Ask anybody who has ever had him in a hockey pool. Moulson would be the better and cheaper option of the two, but I’d rather keep Marky and pass on those guys altogether.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Haberoooo13 says:

I agree that you have to develop but a bit of tweaking via trade or Free Agents is needed also IMO.
        The one difference between 2009 guys and these 2 are size and are still very productive.

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• Mike D says:

Trades, sure. And I’m all for going the UFA route to get Prust and Moen types of players. Just not for top line guys. They just don’t seem to work out, and I’m not just talking about guys like Cammy.

The league is littered with uber-talented players who signed as UFAs only to see their play and production diminish significantly, or at least be susceptible to terrible seasons.

Cammy, Brad Richards, Marian Gaborik, Martin Havlat, the list goes on. I could certainly be wrong, but I see Vanek in that mold and I want nothing to do with it. Moulson as well, but to a lesser extent.

- Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• Haberoooo13 says:

Gaborik, Havlat and Richards also has some significant injury history

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• CJ says:

Vanek is nearly a point a game player. Kessel is also streaky, as is Bobby Ryan and a number of other great goal scorers. If the choice is Markov or Vanek, I have to go with Vanek. Markov is far less consistent. There are flashes of brilliance, mitigated by very poor games. For every gem like the Blackhawks game there are those games like he had in Florida against the panthers.

• Mike D says:

I guess we see things differently. I see Marky being far more consistent than Vanek. Everyone has bad games and makes mistakes, etc., but overall I find Marky very consistent now that his knees seem to be healed.

Vanek is gonna cost around 7mil x 7 years and there will be a number of teams ready to fork that over. IMO, that’s way too expensive and definitely too much term for a guy who is already 30.

- Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• CJ says:

Respectfully, if you aren’t willing to have Vanek under contract until he is 37, why would you be willing to add three more years to Markov? Vanek has certainly had the much healthier career.

Again, we may not see it the same way, but I do respect your opinion. Cheers, CJ

• Mike D says:

Cheers CJ. I respect your opinion as well.

I value Markov over Vanek for a few reasons. For one, he’s a known quantity. I know exactly what I’m getting for my money and believe he can still be effective for 2-3 more years. Second, much less risk on a 2-3 year deal for Markov compared to a 7 year deal for Vanek. Thirdly, despite the injury history, Marky is one of the smartest players I’ve ever seen and he will find ways to be a positive out there no matter what. Vanek is a very smart player too, but aging snipers acquired by free agency signed to 7 year deals for 49mil scare the sh*t outta me!

I’d prefer to keep Markov and take a flyer on a guy like Hemsky whose value is in the toilet right now (but easily has Vanek-like skills). He can likely be had for a 1-2 year deal at no more than 4mil come July. Not the type of player we really need, but has a similar playing style to Vanek’s.

- Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• CJ says:

Fair dues. It will be interesting to see what Bergevin does. In any event, some will be happy, some will be mad, some will be indifferent. Thank you for taking the time to share. Best wishes, CJ

• Mike D says:

Interesting for sure! We definitely agree on that.
            I appreciate the respectful debate, CJ.

- Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

6. Mike D says:

Lots of talk about trading Markov today. While I respect those opinions, I firmly believe he should be re-signed. He is still an excellent player, a true professional, and a guy whose work ethic I don’t question. Teams need vets like that to show the way, lest they become the Edmonton Oilers (talent up the ying-yang and NO results to show for it).

IF the team were to trade him, it better be for one hell of a great return. A 1st round pick wouldn’t be enough for me because any team going after Marky is likely to finish quite high and drafting a player in the 25-30 range wouldn’t be enough since those guys either take a long time to develop, or never develop at all.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• CJ says:

What would you be comfortable resigning him for? Term and dollar amount.

I like Marky, and would have him back, but when we start talking 3 or more years I get very nervous.

• Mike D says:

For Marky I would prefer 2 years, but would be willing to go 3. I would go as high as 12mil for 2 years, or 15mil for 3 years. Those are basically the maximums.

I would also *hope* he’d take a bit of a hometown discount based on how much he earned while he was injured and perhaps we can get him at a really good price. Not counting on that though.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• ont fan says:

So Vanek and Moulson have expressed interest in coming? At least Markov has.

7. adadi says:

It was a mistake to make Crosby captain. Too many players don’t like the swelled head. Toews would have been the right choice.

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I 100% KNEW when da Turdranna MuppleWeeds were moved back where they belong in Our division, the rivalry and passion (HATRED) between Montreal and Turdranna would make the Beans rivalry look like a snit with One’s sister

…losing’ to da Beans only leaves One a little bruised …but losin’ to da Weeds leaves One feeling needing one serious long shower requiring a disinfectant

9. CJ says:

I certainly don’t hold a crystal ball however I believe it safe to assume that the future of the franchise, under the existing leadership team, will be defined within the next 6 months. More immediately, key decisions regarding our pending UFA’s will need to be made within the next 6 weeks.

I’ve enjoyed playing GM from the comfort of my couch. Now I’m looking forward to seeing in which direction we are headed.

• JUST ME says:

I agree because we have promissing kids either in Hamilton or in their junior team or their country , we have a good young core in MTL to build around, remains to change the core of veterans on the squad.
      This is where the main choices will and must be made. We must not be afraid to make moves and must not feel comfortable with what we have because as you say those moves will have a huge impact on things to come.

• CJ says:

Absolutely. We all owe ourselves something better. To reach that goal we must remain patient and be willing to part with forum favorites for the good of the organization (Markov and Gionta).

10. ProHabs says:

I agree with many on here. I would call up the farm guys after the Olympics (Tinordi, Beaulieu,Pateryn, and Leblanc). It is time to start the cycle of change here. Young guys in, Smurfs out.

Trade Gorges, Diaz and definitely Markov at the deadline. Everyone is looking for defenceman at the deadline. You have to trade Marky this year. I love the guy but it is time. Don’t get draft picks for him. Get a couple of 21 year old prospects that are in the minors but on the verge of making the NHL so that we don’t have to wait 5 years for the benefit of the trade.

Give Leblanc a chance. See if he is NHL caliber. If he is not, the see if the Rangers will trade Chris Kreider for Leblanc.

The rookies cannot be any worse that what we are seeing from this team. Lets be honest, if the rookies make mistakes that cost us games, it can’t be worse than the plays we have now.

Unfortunately, at this time we have absolutely no young depth at forward, that is what we get in the Markov, Gorges and Diaz trades.

• Harditya says:

With all due respect, Kreider for Leblanc is just a dream. Chris has a much higher potential and he’s already on pace for 20+ goals this season. Leblanc on the other hand is on pace for 20 goals in the AHL. Leblanc needs to pick it up, although Lefebvre is not the right man for the job as everyone seems to be struggling offensively in Hamilton. Just like the Habs.

11. Bozo McBozo says:

Are we losing yet?

12. rljmartin says:

A couple of observations I do not think anyone has mentioned after last night’s debacle:
    1. Murray was missed.
    2. People mention missing Chucky but I would include White, especially against a team like the Leafs
    3. Dress players so you can roll 4 lines… Are Habs so shallow on talent they can’t do this?

• CJ says:

White was certainly missed. Kid busts his butt every shift. His decision making has improved greatly this year. I don’t consider him a liability while on the ice the way I regard Parros.

13. frontenac1 says:

Kaepernick already over 100yrds rushing. 10 min into 2nd quarter.

14. DipsyDoodler says:

SF already have one 100yd rusher. And it”s the QB!

15. DipsyDoodler says:

I’m getting insight into the many comments calling Habs’ management stupid or moronic, day after day.

You read that Beaulieu was sent down and called back and assume that the only possible explanation is that the people running the Canadiens are “stupid”.

They must have sent him down by mistake. Boy are they dumb.

Really?

16. frontenac1 says:

Go Niners!

17. HabFab says:

@CJ – number of call up limitations
    Found it but it doesn’t kick in until after the Trade Deadline, unlimited until then.

18. Ton says:

Allow me to play GM since I read most of the posts today> I gathering were ready and prepared to forgo a playoff spot for long term gain and future development.

D> I’m keeping Markov…..5.5 million for three years…..I know I got two good years left out of him and I can buy him out on the third or trade him at deadline. PK is a given! Emelin stays and will be better next year. Boulion, Diaz, Gorges, Murray out. Of value in a trade in my estimation is Gorges and Diaz. In comes Beauleau, Pateryn, & Tinordi. I would get them in this year!

Forward > To be continued by some else.

• CJ says:

You can’t buy him out, without a significant cap hit. Further, that three year contract has implications as Markov would qualify as 35+. If he retires, Montreal is charged the cap hit.

I agree, there is something left, but I don’t see much. Three years is a long time. I like the guy, but I’d be exploring options unless Marky is willing to take a one year, two year tops deal.

• Ton says:

Just think……..he will have no difficulty getting a Gonchar contract with any other team………..its going to be a tough decision …..do we do a James W walk option, or a Surray walk option with Marky……that’s what it will come down to….3 to 4 year contract or walk and he will get his dollars and term somewhere!

• D Mex says:

The Habs were more than fair in re-signing him while he was on the mend.
          He tells us he wants to end the career with the team, fair enough. Time for him to remember the above and reciprocate.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• CJ says:

Let him get it somewhere else. We owe him nothing. Again, I know I sound cruel but the second you become influenced in your decision making, using your heart instead of your head, you’re doomed as a GM in this league.

It just doesn’t make sense to offer anything more then 2 years. If you could net a first round pick and top prospect, or equivalent, you need to make that move.

• boing007 says:

Picks and prospects? We need talented, ready to play now players.

Richard R

• CJ says:

Just trying to be realistic. A team trading for Markov would not likely wish to alter their pro roster significantly. His arrival would be meant to augement their group. As a result, what Montreal is most likely to receive in return is a pick, prospect and/or equivalent.

Sure, we need players ready now, but we aren’t going to win it all this year. I’m not suggesting we give up, but this team isn’t ready to turn the corner. If fans aren’t prepared to be patient, then we will forever be stuck in our current rut, which is to say we will fight for a playoff position and fight to win one round.

I personally want something more. My two cents…..

• Haberoooo13 says:

Agreed…I am a big Markov fan but he wants 3 years, I lower the salary…2 years at 5.5 or 3 years at 4.5

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• Ton says:

I would do 2 years a 6 even…….but he will go for term…..think about it its likely his last contract. Our leverage……..he wants to stay in Montreal…….I think he will take 3 years at 4.5!

• D Mex says:

If, as you say, he would take $13.5M for 3 years, all the more reason to sign him at $12M for 2 years and avoid the retirement penalty if that’s what he decides when the time comes.

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• Eddie says:

There is some chatter around Montreal that trading Markov is becoming a real possibility.

What can we get for him, I wonder?

19. JF says:

Since it’s clear we’re not winning any time soon, I’d like us to use the rest of this season to really evaluate some of our prospects and take some decisions. Bring up Greg Pateryn and give him enough games to see how far away he is from being able to replace Gorges. If he’s close to being ready, trade Gorges at the deadline. Do the same with Nathan Beaulieu. How soon will he be able to replace Diaz? If the answer is soon, trade Diaz. The young guys would no doubt make mistakes and probably cost us the odd game, but they could be finishing their apprenticeship at the NHL level; meanwhile, we’d be getting assets in return for Gorges and Diaz. And it’s not as though our defence as presently constructed is getting the job done. Even in games where we play well (one in three?), major defensive breakdowns cost us.

• Eddie says:

Ok so I agree with you but here’s the problem.

When a coach is hired in Montreal he is told he MUST make the playoffs otherwise the season is considered a failure.

Martin was paid a 500,000 bonus for making the playoffs. His contract became public knowledge during his divorce proceedings.

Bergevin was told the same by Molson, I expect.

Therrien believes in experienced dmen. See the issue?

• D Mex says:

Your observation that Bergevin was (probably) told the same by Molson has traction.
        Obviously, GM trumps Coach so, in my mind, he sits down with MT and explains ” les grandes lignes ” and corresponding timeline.

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• HardHabits says:

Total BS. Your answer is the reason why the Habs have languished in the middle of the pack or worse since the Roy trade with only a few blips here and there of finishing at the top of the heap only to be unceremoniously ousted from the play-offs with no real consistency at staying at the top of the pack, meaning the good seasons were flashes in the pan and few and far between.

The Habs don’t have to make the play-offs every year. What they need to do is stop the having the “make the play-offs at any cost” mentality and need to start building a team via the draft and astute trades and signings. That means missing the play-offs. That means drafting top tier players. That means stop the experiment with a plethora of small players. The Habs should look at Gallagher and Desharnais and decide which of the two to keep. The should get rid of Gionta, Briere and Bouillon. The should have never signed Parros.

The problem is the Habs will make the play-offs. They won’t go deep, because face it, the team is not built for the play-offs, and they will get stuck picking 20th or later in the 1st round. Wash, rinse, repeat.

It’s a swindle and fans with the attitude of demanding the play-offs regardless of the fact that the team is crap is what is keeping the Habs from ever actually putting together an elite team. I am sick of it.

• Eddie says:

I hear you. That’s why I called it a problem.

• HardHabits says:

My apologies for saying it was your attitude. Let me retract that and say, “fans with the attitude…”

;-)

• D Mex says:

I don’t see Eddie ” demanding ” the playoffs. He’s simply pointing out what the ground rules were / are for Martin and Therrien.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• JF says:

HH, I am in complete agreement. I’m hoping the present owner might be willing to abandon the idea of making the playoffs at all costs if Bergevin convinces him that not doing so would benefit the team long term. Geoff Molson is passionate about hockey and about the Habs. He might be willing to forego the profits from a few playoff games (let’s face it, there wouldn’t be many) for the future of the team.

If we think back to the disastrous Centennial season with the monumental collapse of the team halfway through, the organization should have abandoned any idea of making the playoffs that year and sold off assets at the trade deadline. Gainey was behind the bench; he felt there was so much wrong the team needed to be blown up over the summer. He should have done it at the deadline. As it was, we did not win a single playoff game; nor did we get a single prospect in return for any of the ten or so free agents who walked that summer.

Bergevin should take this approach. He should convince Geoff Molson we’re not going anywhere this year and the playoffs are therefore meaningless. Trade anyone who does not fit into the team’s long-term plans.

• CJ says:

I don’t think he needs to convince Molson. If you recall Serge Savard was brought in as an advisor. My understanding is that both McGuire and Bergevin spoke openly about using the draft to target players. Lots of money was spent bringing in personnel to mentor our picks. Lapointe, Breezer are on the road all year working with these guys.

It is just going to take time.

• CJ says:

Except Martin was hired under the George Gillett regime. It might be a stretch to assume that Molson has given Bergevin and Therien the same marching orders.

The fact that Bergevin has identified his desire to build through the draft publicly seems to refute the notion that they are going to try and make the playoffs at the expense of the bigger goal.

In all honesty, I don’t know, I’m simply offering another opinion.

Food for thought.

• Ton says:

Exactly…….and this is the recipe that leads to mediocrity.

• D Mex says:

Makes sense.
      The way things work today, tho, you would want to make sure that significant long-term players such as Price, Subban and (hopefully) a veteran like Prust are onside with the plan.
      Communication would be an important piece of something like this – MB steps to the podium and tells it like it is to the fanbase that he and Molson talked up so much when he was first introduced as GM.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Haberoooo13 says:

Also a lot of the fan base want them to make playoffs and not be the Oilers

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

20. habstrinifan says:

Just finished watching the Pats-Bronco game.
    #1.. Anybody know sif Brady was injured. Seems he couldnt throw anything but a ‘flat’ pass.

#2..Anyone thinks that that commercial with the guy enjoying his ‘bizvacation’ while his son needed homework help is stoopid… or am I missing something.

By the way any loophole could put St.Louis on Team Canada?

• mrhabby says:

Brady was not on field long enough to get injured.

So many repeat commercials driving me nuts…thank god for remotes.

• boing007 says:

Messier should have been chosen for Team Canada several years ago.

Richard R

• ABHabsfan says:

It is my understanding that players that get injured between now and the Olympics can be replaced. I think that is why Stamkos was named, if he wasn’t and it turned out he was good to go, he could not be added. This way he can be replaced if need be. Players that were not named to the team cannot be added unless someone else is removed, as a result of injury. That is my understanding anyway

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

21. mrhabby says:

Manning is the man.

22. HabFab says:

It was mentioned earlier about Vail having another 3 point game. He now has 5 more points (60), then he had last year in 22 more games.

• CJ says:

He probably made a strong impression on Martin Lapointe, who was at the game today. Since Kerby Rychel was moved, Vail has taken over as the top dog and has excelled.

He is really impressive, playing a 200ft game. Unfortunately a slow start cost him a roster spot for the US WJC team, but he is finishing very strong.

23. The Teacher says:

I fully expect bourque. Diaz. Gionta. Parros. Murray. Bouillon and briere all to be gone by the time September rolls around. Everyone else can be worked with. These guys are either

A) past their prime
    B) ineffective for the cost
    C) not a good fit

24. Its time to make changes to Habs D or this team will be out of a playoff position sooner than later. Can Boullion, Murray, Diaz be sent down? Not worried if they get picked up on waivers at all or management waiting until end of season to let these dead waits move on?

Time to bring up Tinordi and Pateryn. Then make a few changes up front to bring in some N.A. Grit. Too many smurfs to compete for the stretch run.

• mrhabby says:

They would all have to clear waivers…

• JUST ME says:

It would not serve any ultimate purpose wich is winning the cup. With a slightly better d- squad we would not be that much better. The kids Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn would not benefit from a shorten stage in the AHL and lot less minutes in the NHL.

So if we can make a few trades and Hamilton does not need those players then bring them up here but let`s not waste the future for a now maybe maybe not.

25. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I love Beaulieu. He definitely has an NHL D-man skill set. Arguably the third best after PK and Markov. However, he is still not mentally and physically mature yet. I just don’t understand not giving Pateryn a shot. He’s RH and big. The Habs need to “batten down the hatches” around Price. If Pateryn is not ready for a shot on this D by the end of the year, then Sylvain Lefebvre needs to go. With Thrower, Nygren and Bennet coming next year, D prospects have to start graduating soon.

• Eddie says:

Nygren was in Hamilton and left. Is he coming back?

• HabFab says:

The Habs have him under contract for next year, but I wonder also. However Collberg comes over, so maybe Nygren will give it another chance.

• Marc10 says:

He wasn’t a fan of Hamilton and its murder/violence scene. Leaving the team sent the wrong message, that’s for sure. Hopefully when the Bulldogs relocate to Laval, the environment and proximity to the big club will ensure more prospects don’t experience less than optimal surrounds.

From the accounts I’ve read, he has an NHL bomb from the point, but he isn’t much a defencemen beyond that. MAB Mark II?

I’d be fine with that as long as he’s a power play specialist and a clear #6 that is barely used. In that context, he might round out his game and reach the big leagues.

I’d be fine with playing the kids like Pateryn and Beaulieu, but the second half of the season isn’t really a good time to break someone in… That said, Cube, Murray and Diaz… and now Yemmy and Gorges are not getting it done. Something’s gotta to give.

• Habilis says:

Agreed. From everything I’ve read, Pateryn is the man in Hamilton this season and plays in all situations . Don’t see why he isn’t getting a real shot.

Then again, would MT even give him a real shot if he did come up? I doubt it.

• CJ says:

I see Beaulieu’s promotion as an audition to see if he can replace Markov. You already know what you have with Pateryn, who would have an easier time replacing Murray or Diaz. Markov is a UFA and the organization needs to carefully examin all options before making a decision on extension, etc.

Just my two cents.

26. chanchilla says:

So, less than 24 hours after they sent beaulieu back to hamilton they recall him again, whats the point?! Does greyhound have a point per km system?

• Habilis says:

Pinching pennies for the cap.

Which still makes no sense to me since we’re not even that close to the ceiling.

Only way any of this computes is if Bergevin is planning to add salary at some point. I guess we’ll see.

• habstrinifan says:

Anything to do with some kinda reg? Or maybe the ‘bedridden’ aren’t as well as hoped.

27. CHicoHab says:

There was a time we couldn’t score and I’d say our defence not bad. Now we can score and our defence is bad. The team that beat Chicago does exist! But why is it there,,,, and then it’s not there? Why so inconsistent. Is it the guys? Or the guy coaching the guys?

• dr. gesundheit says:

Inconsistency plagues the majority of teams. In some ways it’s a function of parity in the NHL. The best a middle of the pack team can do is strive to bring in that character element that MB has stated as his goal.

28. showey47 says:

A big deal has been made about emelin getting burned on the first goal but nobody mentioned bouillon letting franson walk by him for the tap in. That’s what happens when you are 5’8″ trying to defend against 6’5″.

• I didn’t miss it and still laughing at that entire defensive sequence. Don’t think they played together again the entire game.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• CJ says:

I think it’s just a given that Bouilion is finished. Great warrior, but he’s done. Everybody in the building watched him get beat on that play. I have a ton of respect for the player, but this is a business and he simply should not be dressing for this franchise again.

Sorry, I know that’s harsh.

29. frontenac1 says:

Frikkin Pats! Cover the spread, jeeze!

30. showey47 says:

MT talks about individual errors. The first one was by MB for hiring MT. MT is a walking list of individual errors. Improper distribution of minutes at both even strength and special teams and putting players in wrong positions and continuing to do it even though it fails over and over again. This team does have some issues but most of them are from decisions that are made behind the bench

• dr. gesundheit says:

MT will be gone @ some point, but unless there are some major changes to the makeup of this team things will remain essentially the same.

• vegas says:

well hopefully the new guy coming in will slot peopl into thier natural positions
        and if he has no choice than at least put your valuable assets n the right slot and let the rest have to adapt

eg. Emelin vs Gorges
        Emelin is one of our main elements, he should get priority
        Gorges has already played the right side. Put Gorges there. If he can’t do the gob, then bye bye
        Tinordi and Beaulieu are lefties also so if thats the case we basically have to clear the left side so these guys cna get into the line-up where they are most comfortable
        SUbban is Right, ok
        Pateryn can probably become our # 6 righty
        Therefore clear the rest and go get a bonified top 4 right handed banging D
        Therrien do it and then tel your GM to fet it fixed
        Meanwhile stop playing Bouillion, and Diaz,, it’s no use, they are not part of the solution

• punkster says:

Yup.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
      but…
      ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• frontenac1 says:

He said in his presser, “he liked the way the team played”……. F#ck it I’m hammered. No mas!

31. Adidess says:

Omaha, indeed!

32. 25 while im alive says:

PK Subban is great and anyone who thinks different doesn’t deserve to watch him

33. Hobie Hansen says:

Anyone else notice Jim Hughson mention that it was Brian Gionta’s 32nd birthday multiple times last night?

I cut Bob Cole some slack because in his prime he was one of the greatest play-by-play guys in broadcasting history. It’s a shame he’s hung on a bit too long (and CBC allows it) and makes all kinds of mistakes now.

Back to Hughson. He mustn’t follow the NHL too closely if he thinks the captain of the Canadiens is three years younger than he actually is? That’s pretty embarrassing.

• frontenac1 says:

I love “The Bob”! He, Rick Mercer and Andi Petrillo are the only people worth watching on CBC. I like watching Grapes too. Yeah, I said it.

• CJ says:

I caught that. Sadly, it was actually one of the better mistakes he made last night (if such a thing exists). He was as blatantly biased last night as Gary Galley. He and Healey didn’t even attempt to hide their sheer glee in the outcome of the game.

34. habs-hampton says:

I watched thet game this afternoon between the B’s and Hawks which was great for 65 minutes and then completely ruined by a shootout. I’m obviously happy that the Hawks won, but what a horrible way to end a great game. The shootout has to go. Play another 5 minutes 3-on-3 if that’s what it takes.

• CJ says:

I actually like the idea of changing ends at the beginning of overtime, forcing the long change. That, and extending overtime to ten minutes.

Reevaluate at the end of next season.

35. jimmy shaker says:

Can’t believe the poll on here…….R U serious? But JVR is a great top 6 forward in my opinion.

Shaker out!

36. frontenac1 says:

I got the Niners+3.5 pts. But I had to take the Pats +6.5 to get that.

37. Frank2468 says:

There’s an article on TSN naming Crosby Captain of the Olympic team and there is a debate over if Toews would be have been a better Captain then Crosby or not which makes for good debate. But then there are fools commenting what no P.K for Captain and so on. It’s just so sicking to read stuff like that, I wish people would just get off his back. I had to reply but I don’t believe it would past the mod’s on TSN. So this what I had to say and it’s how I feel P.K is being treated with stupid comments over and over .

What I posted on TSN Toronto I’ve had enough of this sh**

“You people are ridiculous by continuing to go on about P.K, with smart remarks why not him being the Captain. I will answer that cause Hockey Canada and rest of the racist fools would implode. And this won’t get posted cause its the gods honest truth. That being said he doesn’t deserve to be named Captain YET!!!”

38. jimmy shaker says:

2 big top 6 forwards that can score and 1 big top 4 D-men, and then this team will be above average, and won’t be, in boone’s words playing “suckitude” lacklustre hockey!

at least the cubs only got a point today, and they still have a game in hand on taranna.

Shaker out!

39. DipsyDoodler says:

That Ford ad is really getting on my nerves. You respect tradition but you follow the trends.

By the way, Broncs have this one. Take it to the bank.

• Mavid says:

the one that really irritates me is the truck ones..they have to put up what they are saying in big bold letters on the screen. in our faces as if we don’t understand how really tough these trucks are…gimmy a break..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• frontenac1 says:

Have you seen the Marc Bergevin Ford add on RDS? He’s driving a frikkin girls car! Not a Manly vehicle, but some piece of shit Fiesta or something! I kow it it dough but come on Marc,you can do better.

40. CJ says:

Brady Vail with another big day. Three points, on a goal and two assists. 6 minutes remaining in the third period.

41. Mark C says:

If it makes anyone feel better, NFL refs are as inconsistent and bad as NHL refs.

42. 25 while im alive says:

The pats are not the bleu, blanc, et rouge. Nor is any other team from Boston and surrounding area

• FlyAngler says:

Okay, I apologize for the casual reference which was based solely on uniform color and some recent success on the Pats part. But let’s be real, the Habs right now are bearing little resemblance to les Glorieux or the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge of old and quite frankly, I think that there are far too few players on the roster right now who appreciate what the uniform represents. I think that P K does, maybe Price & maybe Gorges, but that’s it and Gorges isn’t good enough.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• D Mex says:

Honestly, I believe that for too many of them, it is just an NHL uniform : nothing more, nothing less.
        Oh sure, they are nicely briefed on what the fans want to hear the 1st time they speak to the media but, after that, it just seems that Montreal has become a place to grab the paycheque.
        Certainly, the days of players growing up idolizing the Habs and truly wanting to be a part of what the franchise has meant are increasingly behind us.
        Cole did a great job of this in the Brossard dressing room when he first arrived, and Gionta between periods vs TO last night is the most recent example of what I’m talking about.

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

43. naweed235 says:

So I had a dream last night that we somehow managed to trade for Simmonds from the Flyers and Chris Stewart from the Blues …

44. Strummer
    January 19, 2014 at 1:27 pm
    Buffalo may deal Ryan Miller shortly if they can’t sign him.
    St. Louis may be a destination.
    Interesting that Halak may bet “Miller-ed” in St Louis after being “Priced” in Monteal.

Halak was on the block last summer. He was headed to Philly but the Blues wanted to much in return so the deal fell through. Then they said Buffalo, and it’s been Buffalo ever since. However Miller wants to go to LA but that won’t work for LA. I see Halak in Long Island or maybe Edmonton.

Rants of the Day
    Gionta- I wonder would he play better if his contract wasn’t an iddie right now. He’s ok on on the team, but nothing special that we’d miss. Help the brother out and ask where he wants to go, and get him there.

Briere- Poor fella has gone through a ton of crap here. But hey his face is on the website, jersey sales are up, and McDonalds loves him.

Josh- keep it simple man, that’s about it.

Yummilin- what’s the matter with Yummi, you haven’t level anyone since last year. You are here to add toughness, if you can’t do that, then why are you here.

Therrien- oh no man, if you can’t see that Pleks, Gionta and Briere is a bad line then what can I say that hasn’t been said already. Prust is a third liner, why have Eller play with him? Move Eller up with Pleks and Gio and go with two scoring lines, 3rd line and a 4th line. I’d call them (3 and 4) checking lines but I’d be kidding my self, so what they are is defensive lines, at least I won’t have to fool myself into seeing them check. :lol:

Play PK as much as possible. But manage his ice. First shift for PK he’s a skater, the second shift for PK he plays defense, and tones down the rushes.

Keep 55, Yummilin, ice limited!

Ah that felt GREAT! Practice at 6:30 and I need a second goalie, who’s available?

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

45. Haberoooo13 says:

The good life!
    Jonas Nattinen did get $72.01 per second played last night!

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

46. ooder says:

so anybody notice on the GWG DD’s stupid pokecheck back to markov.
    everyone was saying how markov was caught up ice, but DD poke checked the puck towards him with the maple leaf player already skating that way. No way does Markov turn around in time and catch up to him. It’s just not possible in such a short distance.
    And then on the empty netter, DD gains the zone and does a freaking no look back pass to nobody. so dumb

• Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t think anyone blamed Markov? And I’m not all that pissed at Desharnias for the poke back towards Markov. That’s a 1 out of 100 play. Just some bad luck there.

47. Steven says:

I noticed some comments earlier discussing the possibility of trading Gorges. Frankly, I think it has to be done. He was a champ on JM’s defensive team, but on MT’s “I don’t know what we’re doing half the time” team, he’s kind of useless. He can’t play the swarm, since he’s neither fast enough nor strong enough.

He needs a team that actually plays a high shot-blocking game. Not that this is an original thought, but I hear John Tortorella likes a good shot blocking team. Nucks are also having that awful run(2 wins in 10 games or something), so maybe they could use that kind of shakeup. He could probably pretty easily fetch a 2nd or any defenseman whom Tortorella has put in the doghouse(hoping that’s the case with Edler, without knowing at all). He would probably look pretty good again in that system, since his whole game is based on shot blocking.

Thoughts?

48. frontenac1 says:

Reports. Torts is going to the principals office on Monday. I’d love to watch that one. Let”r Rip Torts!

49. JUST ME says:

The comments on HIO are thoughtfull today apart from the ones from the usual suspects who does not bring anything to the debates anyway.

I think that everyone on the team has a part of the blame to take for those losses. There are some we would trade right now, Bourque,Briere ,Bouillon,Diaz , some that are undersized,Gionta D.D.
    then some that have really bad noticeable days like Emelin,Murray,to name only those that were criticized but that include also every player that does go in a slump because of such a crazy schedule.

Name the ones on the team that have nothing to be blamed for and you will be able to count them on one hand so the ranking of the team with all those facts is surprizing. Solution is not simple, seems obvious but easier figured out than done.

Yes a few trades would help but not if you think that NOW is the time. We are a few seasons away from being able to pretend. A few trades, a few kids, a few more draft choices and time.

50. frontenac1 says:

Kane freezes Rask then snipes the opening. Nice.

51. Da Hema says:

The Habs’ record since 10 December 2013 is 8 wins, 8 losses, and 2 OT losses. Of those 8 wins, 4 were in OT and one was a shoot-out. What is perhaps more disconcerting is that this record has been compiled with a comparatively healthy team and a world-class goalie who has kept them in games where they have been badly outplayed. I would say, in reply to Brian Gionta, that the Canadiens are not an average hockey team but something less than average.

52. ont fan says:

Our hands are tied when it comes to coaches. We have few choices, so give it a rest. There are about 7 legit teams in the race for the cup and most of them were at the bottom for 3 years and drafted well. Moving a few 3rd liners isn’t going to change much. Cherelli has done a great job moving parts around and staying on top. If you want to make the playoffs and draft 20th MB better be a genius.

53. Haberoooo13 says:

Shootout time in Chicago

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

54. montreal ace says:

I think I’m developing short term memory loss, it’s the only reasonable explanation for looking forward to the next game.

55. Haberoooo13 says:

In OT
    further review it was my son’s…I mean Mr Campbell’s intention to put into that empty net…Goal Awarded

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

56. Dunboyne Mike says:

@Trini, Loonie, Cliff, and rhino. Answered you all on previous thread. Don’t be a stranger, Loonie.

Enjoy the gridiron, all.

Ireland out.

57. jimmy shaker says:

Need to end a slump…..play the habs!

Need to look good on the ice…..play the habs!

Need to feel good about yourself and your team……play the habs!

Hate watching teams skate all over these guys!

Shaker out!

58. CJ says:

Can San Jose afford to resign Thorton and Marleau? Can they afford not to? My guess is Dan Boyle is moved or walks as a UFA. The next 6 weeks will be interesting.

It would be hilarious if someone swept in and signed Bolland away from Toronto.

59. Propwash says:

Go Hawks.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

60. SPATS says:

If Brian Gionta and Josh Gorges are the best we can do ie leadership, we will remain where we are. Average. Time to look for a true leader which we haven’t had since Kirk Muller left.

There’s a huge vacuum and god bless em (Jorges) for stepping in but his hollering has gotta be falling on deaf ears due to his obvious bottom 2 stature. Bergevin’s hands were tied and hiring MT and his old school ways will get us what we’ve seen this year (and last) Quick start then slow fade. He’s just not the type of coach guys will want to play hard for.

MT’s done wonders with what he has to work with, but time is not on his side without a 6’2″ guy with PK’s confidence and Gallaghers engine.

Me? I’d go all in sometime soon and sign P.K. to an 8 year term and make him captain, give Prust Gorge’s A and let Plecky and Marky keep their A’s. At the end of this sad year, I’d lose Gorges, Gio, Moen and the rest of the old school by the code types and usher in a new era with Guy Boucher at the helm and a young D corps and our anchors Price and Subban. But then, I’m a crazy ol fart.

It would be exciting and controversial, that’s for sure. And, that’s why it will never happen. Too much old school tradition to muddle thru.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

61. GL says:

What they need players that can put the puck in the net on a consistent basis. Average team does average things.

62. Caesar says:

I was thinking last night that the next captain can and should be Gally. He’s our best player, and he has almost no real skill outside of his work ethic and giant heart. The Habs are real lucky this guy is on their team, and as fans at least we have someone to cheer for every single time he’s on the ice.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Have we no one with work ethic, giant heart AND skill?

(Actually, on Gallagher’s skill, I’d say he is in fact highly skilled, but that the way MT deploys him he doesn’t get much opportunity to use it.)

• Haberoooo13 says:

whoa…I luv Gallagher but PK and Price are our best players!

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

63. Mavid says:

I just came to the realization that I have shoes older than most of the players..sigh..now I am really depressed..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

64. Fansincebirth says:

Riddle me this…..what would MT have done if we were playing the Flames and they put their tough guys out to start the game and clearly looking to stir things up from the opening whistle?

Would we witness yet another beat down as in last year’s playoffs?

65. habs001 says:

If you have a D that can skate and pinch well and can provide solid support for the forwards that hides a lot of forward issues…

66. Hobie Hansen says:

Would I have taken Morrow for a year over Briere and his ridiculous two year deal, absolutely! The Habs need a heck of a lot more than 35-year-old Morrow who might be gritty but at the end of the day he’s 5’11″ or 6′ tall.

One half of the size issue on the Habs is playing the body along the wall, in the corner and the inability to with those battles and come up with the puck. Morrow would help with that for sure.

The other half that’s equally important is the lack of reach that comes with small players. There are so many instances where the Habs smaller players are at a huge disadvantage getting their sticks in passing lanes. As a result, the puck stays in the Montreal forever. It can play a role in receiving passes in offesive zone as well.

Habs need 3 or 4 guys that are 6’2″ and up! And to minus 3 or 4 guys that are 6′ and under. No bones about it.

• CH Marshall says:

BOOM. The only guy who should be undersized is Gallagher.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Exactly. I could even live with Desharnais in the middle of Pacioretty and another big winger as well. That’s it though!

But Diaz, Bouillon and Gionta absolutely have to go. Gorges is generously listed at 6’1″ but he is completely manhandled out there.

Markov is a keeper IMO but he isn’t great in his own end either! He’s 6′ tall and has trouble with big forwards.

• CH Marshall says:

He’s 6’1? He plays like he shrinks about half a foot out there. F* wouldn’t it be nice to have 4 new wingers who have size and can crash the net

• CJ says:

I’m on this bandwagon. DD and Galley can stay, but we need to rid ourselves of the other vertically challenged players. It’s simply too difficult to sustain any offensive zone pressure with our existing line up.

The issue is that there is nobody willing to accept our castoffs. I think Gionta will be moved at the deadline, but not sooner. I can’t imagine Bouilion holding any value. Briere might, might, be considered an asset, but we are likely going to need to take back a salary. Ditto for Bourque. Diaz, with a good Olympics, might be worth something to somebody.

I believe the future of our organization will be forged in the next six months. Now is not the time to apply a bandaid solution. Cut those who do not form either the core, or provide a complimentary role within the organization. And yes, for heaven’s sake, let’s get some size.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yup, we can hope for a minor trade at the deadline but just have to pray that Bouillon, Ginota and Diaz are not resigned! I’m sure Gionta will be either traded at the deadline or simply walk this summer and Bouillon will retire.

The big question is if Bergevin is stupid enough to sign Diaz. I have confidence in him that he won’t!

• CJ says:

I’ve just been looking at capgeek. We don’t have a single UFA that I would resign. I know I’m in the minority regarding Markov, but I just don’t see the upside.

• vegas says:

as long as DD is our number 1 C, we will never go anywhere

our 3 centers should be
          Galchenyuk
          Plekanec
          Eller
          #4 is whoever you want, White, Bournival etc…..

• Kooch7800 says:

But Morrow is old, injury prone and would be a risk signing……Briere is none….oh wait.

All kidding aside it was a signing for marketing and MB’s excuse that there was not size out there was BS. Morrow at even 2 million for one season is more useful than Briere who plays the perimeter at 4 mill x 2.
      At least Morrow plays hard still but he has also had his injury troubles this year as well.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

67. Bim says:

I just don’t understand the logic of bringing up Nattinen for 30seconds of ice when there wasn’t another Centre outside of Eller would played that great a game and what was that combo of cube and Gorges all about? They couldn’t get the puck out of their end to save their lives last nite. They were horrible! I’m afraid a long losing streak is coming.

68. habs001 says:

Hopefully Emelin improves but i believe his D play started to deteriorate last year after a good start before the injury…

69. habstrinifan says:

Kadri:
    “That was a statement game for this team,” said Kadri. “We worked from beginning to end and came out of it with a successful result.”

Gionta:
    ‘We can be a very average team,’

Statement statements?

70. habstrinifan says:

From the Hickey article:
    ==========================================
    Gallagher scored Montreal’s first goal and talked about the possibility of the two teams meeting down the road in the playoffs, something which hasn’t happened in his lifetime.

“Last year, we came close and you could sense people in both cities looking forward to it,” Gallagher said. “I’m sure it’ll happen soon enough.
    ===========================================

Man just the thought of it happening awakens me to begging MB… please please make some moves.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Ugh…not something I would enjoy watching. This team would be gone in 4 straight. Would not be able to listen to a radio/tv for a couple years afterward in southern Ontario.

71. Lafleurguy says: