Cowboy Carey prepares for rodeo

pricer

From out in B.C., Carey Price is ropin’ calves and thinking about hockey.

Percy Hebert of The Quesnel (B.C.) Cariboo Observer found Price putting protective equipment on himself and his horse as he prepared to practice his roping for an appearance at the 45th Annual Quesnel Rodeo, which starts today. Hebert’s story has a photo of Price in the saddle, cowboy hat and all.

Price will be entered in the team roping contest and he’s a heeler, lassoing the calf around the heels after the header has thrown his rope around the calf’s head. “The satisfaction of pulling back on a pair [heels], that’s it for a heeler to see two feet in there [in the lasso],” Price told Hebert.

He also discussed his disappointment losing in the first round to the Bruins. “I sat and pouted for about three or four days,” Price confessed.

“Also part of the healing process for Price was to spend time with teammates that had become like brothers over the season, teammates that may not be back in Montreal next season,” Hebert wrote.

“That’s the worst thing about the end of the year,” Price said. “Some of those guys you might not ever play with again.”

And indeed, Price goalie partner Alex Auld, defencemen Roman Hamrlik and James Wisniewski and forwards Jeff Halpern and Benoit Pouliot won’t be back in Montreal next season, among others, while UFA defencemen Brent Sopel and Paul Mara are also unlikely to return.

Hebert also asked Price if he had a favorite save during his three years playing for the Habs and Price pointed to this one from Sept. 30, 2009, a  preseason game against the Red Wings.

“I batted the puck out behind my back,” he said. “I never even saw it [the puck] and wound up hitting it. It was pretty lucky.”

He also reminisced about his time with the Junior A BCHL Quesnel Millionaires, which will be relocating to Chilliwack for the upcoming season after 36 seasons in Quesnel. Price was only 15, much smaller than his current 6-foot-3 and the team’s third string goalie. “I remember sitting on the bench a lot,” he told Hebert with a grin. “But I did get to play in Williams Lake against the Timberwolves and I got a shutout.

“That was my only BCHL shutout, in Williams Lake and that was pretty fun.”

Price has been roping for three years and he revealed the hardest part was learning how to stay on the horse. “I think if you are going to rope it’s best if you learn how to ride first instead of trying to learn to rope and ride at the same time,” he said. “When you’re watching, it doesn’t look that hard. You see guys doing it over and over again, it seems repetitious and that makes it seem real easy. But once you pick up a rope, never mind throwing it, just trying to figure out how to build a loop is tough enough.”

There’s little chance Price will turn to professional rodeo when his NHL career ends. He got a late start and he only does it in the offseason. “I think I’m just too far behind, I’ll stick with roping recreationally.”

(A big thanks to Bruce Hollingdrake, editor-in-chief of The Hockey Writers for the link.)

1. cvfvghghgf says:

Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF
    COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34
    Paypal accept,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you
    ur friends’adress by EMS,DHL,UPs
    click my link under here!

2. SyntaxLove says:

Looks like the Islanders need to spend around $7 mil to hit the cap floor. And they need to sign 3 fwds. I assume they’ll re-sign Blake Comeau (whose name reminds me of Perry Comeau, and now I love Blake Comeau) for around $3 mil and re-sign Josh Bailey for $2 mil and change. That leaves around $2 mil. Can they distribute that as bonuses? Curious!

On a related note, I really sympathize with the Isles. They have so many young, talented forwards, a few good defencemen and then at the back Rick “people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones” DiPietro for the next thousand years! And they’re poor because no one likes them. Sad! I’m making them my girlfriend team for next season. Go Islanders!

3. Everlasting1 says:

Yea, Price is livin’ on the edge..chance of falling off a horse and landing on..what is that? Sand? Straw? Heaven forbid should he get kicked in the nads by a suckling calf.

——————————————————————-
    “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

4. HabFab says:

Arbitration list is dwindling down fast. There were two other compatible defensemen RFA’s to Josh Gorges; Chris Campoli and Andrej Sekera. The Blackhawks walked away from $2.5 ml for Campoli and Sekera signed for $2.75ml with the Sabres.
    Wonder where Josh and PG are hung up at? The clock is ticking!

• SyntaxLove says:

Well, I doubt Campoli’s returning to Long Island, even though they seem like the obvious choice because their D lacks depth & they’re the only team still needing to spend all the monies

5. habstrinifan says:

Interesting point made by Elliot Friedman (30 thoughts) re theWIZ’S ice time. I remember writing many times during the season that this was a huge problem.. WIZ staying on the ice too long…

The more pertinent question was, ‘WHERE was the direction from the head coach?”

6. bob says:

THANK YOU!

RClavel

7. Tony McLean says:

‘Break a leg.’ LOL. Bet nobody remembers Robby’s polo mishap…

Jaroslav Halak: “…a playoff hero in a town that hasn’t had too many playoff heroes of late. ” – Arpon Basu 20.7.11

8. Un Canadien errant says:

So does Roger Goodell strike you as kind of the Sorcerer’s Apprentice who messed around and started this whole ordeal and almost blew up the workshop and now has lost a lot of credibility and lots of the confidence of the public?
    ———————————
    For my training camp surprise, I want the second coming of Mike McPhee. And maybe Kent Carlson.

9. Bugs says:

Can’t believe how everywhere on the news, all you’re hearin is advisories to “stay indoors” during the heatwave, you know, so no one (ahem) gets hurt or sumpin. I’m like “Stay IN-DOORS??? This is effin CANADA, man! Last time we saw heat like this, we were still dukin it out with the Mohawks, man! Now, finally, 300 years later (or whatever), we finally see some goddang HEAT back and you want we should stay in-frickin-DOORS??? Well, screeeeew YOU, buddy. YOU stay indoors; how do you like THAT? Me, I’m SOAKIN it up like a summamabastich; tell you that fer nuthin.”
    So I’m just hoggin it at the pool these last few days. I’m so tan and wrinkled now, I look like Wesley Snipes’ FATHER.
    …stay indoors…un-berlievable…
    When the aliens show up, mark my words, it’ll be the same thing, stay indoors, you know, so no one (ahem) gets hurt or sumpin, just you wait and see.
    Hah!
    Stay indoors INDEED…
    Hmmph!
    I think NOT, sir.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Preach it Bugsy. Just drink water and apply some sunscreen and you’re good to go. Today wasn’t so bad, I was outside the whole day.

• daveho29 says:

Or you could just move out west……….Yes I get it already I live in a rain forest dammit!

• Bugs says:

Water and sunscreen is for little old ladies.
        I’m a MAN.
        I lie on a parabolic mirror and don’t move til the case of beer is empty. Then, I dunk my left knee and right elbow in the pool for exactly 8.73 seconds…and resume my position on the mirror.
        That’s how you get a tan, boy. You want some sun? You want some REAL sun? Well, shut up then and listen to me and you’ll get some flippin righteous sun, tellin you that RIGHT now. Hey, I’m a quarter Spanish, I know what I’m talkin about, wouldn’t lie to you about somethin like this. Me and Ra are like THIS, muthaluvvas, like THIS, y’all; so y’all take my fraggin word for it and get yer friggin SUN.
        Unnh!
        That’s right, yo: Unnnnhh!

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• HabFab says:

You can always watch Slapshot…indoors.

• HabFanSince72 says:

When Bugs is right, he’s right.

• JD_ says:

I’m slow cookin’ a pork shoulder tomorrow on the Q. Seven hours in the low- to mid-200s.

That’s seven hours tendin’ to a hot Q in the blazin’ heat!

Blazin’, baby!

Clint Eastwood bein’ dragged through the desert in The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly’s gonna look like Cinderella at the grand ball by comparison.

• Bugs says:

Remember as a kid readin S.King’s “The Gunslinger”, bein entranced by its mystical western qualities, then seeing TGTBTU again, and during the very scene you describe, there’s a shot of Clint on his knees gaspin for life and I ‘member thinkin with glee “That’s him! That’s Roland, omg, right THERE, that’s HIM!” That one little shot…

Minute possibility of (right now) confusing it with a scene in “Two Mules for Sister Sara”? (which was a pile’o’sh*te…and the foley guy goin nuts on the spurs…yeesh)
        But still, Clint, scorched, gaspin in the desert on his knees…that was soooo Roland.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• dhenry1234 says:

Looks like some Rabbit got a little too much sun today.

• Curtis O Habs says:

Do any of these aliens have size, speed, tough as nails, and can handle 24 minutes as a first line center? If it can speak french, we may have a captain.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Speaking as a man whose job has him working outdoors, I’ll bloody well complain about record-setting heat if I want to.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• RabidHabsFan says:

(0)

Mike Milbury is the Archie Bunker of Hockey.

10. SnowManHabs85 says:

Ok, I’ve been thinking about this while I was at work, I mean, what IF Habs didn’t sign Gionta during free agency? Would the Habs still be considered a “small” team? Or would we be just arguing that our Habs need a skilled winger?

And IF Gio wasn’t signed, would JM have given SK top six minutes at the beginning of the season?

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

11. SyntaxLove says:

Speaking of teams that should have (re)signed Ray Emery, does anyone know what the status of Selanne is? If he retires the Ducks are going to have a difficult year, to put it lightly.

Enroth signs with Buffalo, Conklin with Detroit.

13. JohnBellyful says:

10 ways to keep cool during a heat wave:

Be a fan (of the Montreal Canadiens)

Enter a hockey pool

Swim with the sharks at HIO

Raise a cloud of suspicion (about your least favourite hockey player)

Freeze your shorts before wearing (and bra, if applicable)

Watch video of Bruins winning cup (if that doesn’t leave you cold, nothing will)

Drink Kool-Aid (oh, wait a minute, are users of this site allowed to do that?)

Drink four litres of water, stand in meat locker for half-hour, retire to hammock and sweat ice cubes

Sign up for Gomer fitness camp in Alaska (he’s looking for proxies)

Identify yourself as Alexei Kovalev at Habs head office (you’ll get the cold shoulder and be left cooling your heels, and if you’re really annoying, you’ll get coldcocked.)

— “A little song, a little dance, some ice cold seltzer down your pants.” –

14. Propwash says:

Gaah!
    Ohmahgahd!
    How unprofessional!
    How dare he have an activity outside of hockey!

15. ProHabs says:

So apparently Peter Cheerios-elli and the Bruins are petitioning the league to get Marc Savard’s name on the Stanley Cup even though he didn’t play the required 41 games or any of the playoff games.
    He doesn’t qualify, that is why the league has rules and guidelines. However, how much do you want to bet the league will bend the rules once again for the Goons to get what they want and Savard will have his name on the cup. What a joke this league is.

• 24 Cups says:

I don’t think there’s any doubt his name should be there.

How would we feel about Markov if the Habs had won the Cup? What about Crosby?

The only reason Savard didn’t play is because he was out with a concussion.

Rules such as these need a bit of latitude.

• ProHabs says:

Then what is the point of having these guidelines to number of games played. I didn’t play 41 games for the Habs in 1993 nor any of the playoff games. That was the year I got mono because if not, maybe I might have made the Habs roster. I would like to have my name on the cup along with the rest of the 93 team. I wonder if Serge Savard will go to bat for me.

• LA Loyalist says:

What a moronic comment, I’m sorry. You didn’t get a concussion in the course of playing for the Habs, either.

Yeah What about Markov. Yeah what if Patches had been attacked by Chara back in November and we’d won the cup anyway.

What about Saku and his cut eyeball, Zednik and nearly being decapitated.

It’s just like a soldier who takes a bullet in combat. Man I don’t like it when I log on here and get pissed at an idiot in the first 30 seconds.

Have a re-think and come back on here and apologize to Savard, Markov, Patches, Steve Moore, Paul Kariya – et cetera.

J*s*s.

• ProHabs says:

Holy cow LA, your comment has to be the biggest waste of space on this site today.

What about Koivu getting a stick in the eye, he played 72 games that year so his name would be on the cup if the Habs had won.

What about Zednik getting hit my McLaren, he played 82 games that year so his name would have been on the cup if the Habs won the cup.

What if the Chara hit happened in November. Ya well what if the Chara hit never happened, what if the Habs drafted Lucic instead of Maxwell, what if ……. what if…….. What if’s are stupid arguement.

My point was, there are many players who have not met the required games in the past that don’t have their name on the cup, why should the rules change now. Savard didn’t go through the whole process of winning the cup so his name on the cup would lower the standard.

So before you respond, why don’t you think about what you are going to say before typing it. Now think about what you wrote, and come back and apologize to all of us for having had to read your stupid post.

• LA Loyalist says:

You are entirely missing the point, let me try and explain it.

Say Saku’s eyeball cut kept him out while Habs won the cup – he deserves to be on the cup because his injury occurred in the service of his team. The number of games to me is utterly irrelevant.

Now, say in a different year, Saku’s cancer kept him out – and Habs won the cup – in that case, he would NOT be entitled to have his name on the cup because it was a personal illness not incurred by playing for the Habs.

Is that clear enough? The number of games is arbitrary and irrelevant. If a guy is a paid team member and his hurt for the team (maybe, like Steve Moore, his hockey career is freaking DONE) then I can’t imagine that you are such a bureaucrat that you’re stuck on some arbitrary number. You probably work for the government.

Sorry, I’m not saying all your posts are evil, but this one was.

• Steven says:

The guideline was probably set in place so that every random call-up doesn’t get their name on the Cup for playing a few games anyone could have played.

• NCRhabsfan says:

If the Habs won the cup, why would they write Crosby’s name on it? Is there a new rule that you can include players you wish were on your team? Or do you know something we don’t? Gomez for Crosby?

• Duracell3 says:

I have to disagree. If the Penguins or Canadiens had won the cup, Markov nor Crosby’s name should be no where near it. They didn’t win it, and by being absent they opened up huge capspace (which in all cases were taken advantage of).

Sean Avery has just as much of a case for 02-03.

• kempie says:

He’s bringing the Cup to Peterborough on the weekend.
      Edit: And FWIW, I agree with 24 above. The man deserves his name on the Cup no question.

• ProHabs says:

Really, maybe I am off base but I am sure there are other players in the past who feel like they should have had their name engraved on the cup but didn’t hit the number of games criteria.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I think that’s the main justification for keeping his name off it. Many other players have been in the same situation. Otherwise it wouldn’t matter.

For example: Sergio Momesso in 1986. Played 24 games in the regular season and got injured. (Savard played 25). Momesso didn’t get his name on the cup. In fact if you look it up on wikipedia it seems there are players in Savard’s exact situation every year. (To be fair, sometimes the names get engraved after petition.)

If I was in charge I’d tell the goons they can put Savard on the cup if they remove one other player. Solomon-like.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Interestingly, it seems they now allow just about any name on the cup. From wikipedia, on the 2004 cup:

“Darren Rumble† played only 5 regular season games, and did not play in the playoffs. Rumble was a healthy reserve the rest of the season. Stanislav Neckar† played 2 playoff games. Neckar was on Nashville Predators injury reserve list majority of the season, before joining Tampa Bay in a trade on March 9, 2004. Tampa Bay was given permission to include both players on the Stanley Cup even though they did not qualify.”

• 24 Cups says:

My memory is a little shaky on this point but I think an owner put his son’s or dad’s name on the Cup.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I also remember a director of hockey operations helping put his son’s name on the cup.

• I’m currently petitioning the NHL to get Colin Cambells name included as well.

• savethepuck says:

I would have no problem if his name was on the Cup. No different than if Habs won the Cup last season, would anyone have a problem with MaxP’s name on it? I hate the Bruin’s as much as anyone here and think they get ( or hopefully only got) preferential treatment from the league, but if it was for 1 of our players, I would hope our organization would do the same thing.

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

• JayBee says:

If it wasn’t the Bruins…would you care?

• skoalbandit says:

No way should his name be there. Do you think this is the first time a player missed out on the cup due to a season long injury? He was not there, his salary and roster sopt were replaced by other players. He did not play in one of the gruling playoff games. He did not win the cup.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The Bruins are just confused about the rules as they pertain to the Stanley Cup since it’s been so long for them. Of course, being a bunch of Neanderthals doesn’t help.

So they want to include Marc Savard and engrave his name on the Cup as a tribute and honour to him, a fallen comrade. Poppycock. How about they honour him by censuring players like Campbell and Marchand who use opposing players’ heads as punching bags and cause concussions in the first place? How about they take a principled stance and say never again, and lead the fight against head injuries? How about they remove their yapping lackey at NESN and replace him with an announcer who provides sober commentary instead of inflaming passions.

This rule is nothing new. It is arbitrary, but so are most rules. Driving at 100 km/hr is legal, but at 101 you are committing an infraction. Further, it would have to be stretched beyond recognition if Mr. Savard were thus honoured, he didn’t play a single game all season.

My little sister’s favourite player for a while was Cam Connor, who played on the Canadiens’ 1979 Cup team. He scored a big goal, I think a game or series-clinching goal at one point, but in the end didn’t play in enough games in the regular season or playoffs to qualify to get his name on the Cup. There was a lot of talk back then about how it was unfair, my sister pouted about it. But they were the rules and despite the apparent injustice everyone moved on and my sister grew up. So should the Bruins.

EDIT: I thought Mr. Savard hadn’t played a game this season, whereas he played 25. Also, as is pointed out above, apparently the rules have not been applied so stringently in the past. So maybe I get off my high-horse….

———————————

16. kempie says:

It’s probably the heat talking (37.8) but I’ve got a funny feeling about this upcoming season. I think it’s going to be a big fun ride. Sorry if I brought anybody down with that. Like I said, it’s likely just the heat.

17. Kooch7800 says:

I wonder who is going to sign Campoli and for how much. Will be interesting to see.

What’s all this about HIO being a hard habit to break?

• HabFab says:

While I’ll be a monkey’s uncle! And all this time I figured that you were just bragging! And here you were crying for help.
      Sorry dude! My bad!

• LA Loyalist says:

I’ve been trying to stay off all week, and then today I’m on for one minute and get in a brawl with ProHabs, which might not be fair, but… anyway, it is a hard habit to break, at least until Gorges is safely in the barn.

As for Price in the rodeo, yeah, it’s risky. When I played hockey as a ute, I wasn’t allowed to even ski (so I never learned). It was just a strong suggestion from the coach, kind of implied, I guess. It’s just common sense.

We shouldn’t snowmobile drunk, either, but hey, not much risk of that in Montreal right now.

19. FishOutOfWater says:

WHY ARE WE ALLOWING OUR STAR GOALTENDER TO ENTER A RODEO?!

a honest to goodness rodeo?
    so he can fall of a horse or get flung from a bull

it just doesnt make any sense

• shiram says:

He did last year and was fine.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Adam says:

I didn’t realize the Habs owned him and could dictate what hobbies he could engage in.
      Why did the Avs let Joe Sakic operate his own snowblower?

• dasbooth says:

Sounds like an Easterner comment, Rodeo’s are actually quite safe.

“Shutouts are really more of a team stat” – Carey Price

• GrimJim says:

Well, team roping sure is. I wouldn’t say the same about the rough stock events.

• athanor says:

Well, a study of out UCalgary on July 14 would seem to disagree with you, calling it one of the most dangerous sports there are, with bull riding being the most dangerous aspect of rodeo.
        Chance of catastrophic injury from rodeos 20 times greater than football, with 21 deaths on circuit since 1989 and 49 catastrophic injuries. To be sure, they were mainly the bucking events, so calf roping would seem to leave CP relatively safe, I guess

• LA Loyalist says:

Price is not riding bulls in the PBR, roping is pretty tame by comparison, though certainly needs skill. That said, horses are just generally skittish. There’s a saying that until you’ve been “pitched” (thrown) 7 times, you’re not a rider.

I’m more concerned about the 70’s porn star moustache.

• drivefor25 says:

Not necessarily for the animals involved. And I’m not an easterner – live in the BC interior.

Fan since ’71

• Number31 says:

Because Team Roping is quite safe. And the Habs gave him the OK to participate in this hobby.

And it’s cool. We got a cowboy goalie :)

• kitbeyer says:

WHY ARE WE ALLOWING OUR STAR HEELER TO PLAY IN A HOCKEY LEAGUE?!

an honest to goodness hockey league?
      so he can slip on a puck or get beat up by a bruin

it just doesn’t make any sense

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s not a question of allowing him, he’s on his own time and can do whatever he wants. If he was playing basketball or squash to stay in shape would we squawk about that? As long as what he does doesn’t contravene his contract with the Canadiens, the team has no recourse. I say let him have fun, decompress from having to deal with crazy fans like you and me and the guy who told PK not to have a cookie at a BBQ last week, and come back with a fresh mindset and a killer mentality, so next time he tears Tim Thomas’ head off when that smug jerk serves it to him on a platter.

———————————

Price is the next Price. To compare him to others is a bit pointless. Each person beats their own path to glory. Price’s path up to now and from here on in will be much different than Roy’s, Brodeur’s, or Hasek’s for example. All those three are greats. Who amongst the three is best is very debatable. I’d take any of them in their prime that’s for sure.

Price is at least one Stanley Cup victory and a few more seasons away from being in consideration with that elite group though.

• Adam says:

You know, people say we haven’t had a real goalie in the era between Roy and Halak/Price. Am I the only one who thought Jeff Hackett and Andy Moog did a pretty decent job? Maybe not franchise goalie, but as I recall, they both put up respectable stats.

• Say Ash says:

Debate? Roy has three Conn Smythes. Three more than Brodeur and Hasek combined.

• punkster says:

Johnny Bower had 2 Vezinas and 4 Stanley Cups. Jacques Plante had 6 Vezinas and 6 Stanley Cups.

Debate to your heart’s content ;)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Everlasting1 says:

What were there..6? 12 teams/goalies in that bygone era?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• HardHabits says:

So? Hasek beat Roy in the Olympics and Brodeur lost to Roy in the Finals. Hasek played for crappier teams than Roy did. Brodeur holds all kinds of records. Hasek and Brodeur have Olympic Gold Medals, Roy doesn’t.

I don’t think that Roy is hands down the best goalie of his era. It is very debatable. Roy was hot and cold. He was amazing or sucked ass. You could also say that Roy was the horse shoe up the assiest of the 3.

• JayBee says:

And when he “sucked ass” he was still better than 90% of his peers. Look at his numbers during his off years. One thing though, Roy is a playoff performer, so are both Hasek and Brodeur, but to IMO, Roy’s numbers and accomplishments are more impressive.

I think Roy/Hasek is a better comparison thatn Roy/Brodeur. Brodeur beneffited from a great defensive system.

• LA Loyalist says:

If I’m in the playoffs, and get to choose between Brodeur, Hasek and Roy?

Not even close. The wink it is. Saint Patrick. Thank you and Merci.

• Hasek played for crappier teams, until he won with the most stacked team since the 70’s Habs.

But nevermind, I think you’re clearly trying to get some kind of rambly flame war going if you think Patrick Roy was the luckiest goaltender between himself, Brodeur and Hasek. Hasek’s entire career was driven by luck, there’s never been a goaltender as lucky until Tim Thomas.

21. Adam says:

Hey guys,
    I’ve got a question and I’m going to have to target it at Mr. Boone and Mr. Stubbs (and anybody else who works at The Gazette who can help me out).
    I’m a student, but I work as a freelance journalist as well. I’ve got an idea I think would be great for The Gazette, but I seem to have a hard time getting Stu Cowan on the phone to discuss it. Any help to just get in touch with him would be much appreciated, and will potentially be rewarded with the purchase of a cold, cold alcoholic beverage at some point.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Start a blog.

• Adam says:

Blogs don’t pay the bills, unfortunately. And I don’t write about sports very often, I’m more of a straight up news guy. But I do think this idea is quite good, and up The Gazette’s ally.

• LA Loyalist says:

Blog and network to get advertising. That’s what pays the bills. The click throughs to your advertisers.

Give your readers some valuable information, maybe an e-mail blast. But keep it short and useful. Build up a following (though being followed by HIO posters might be kind of frightening…)

For example you could consolidate 10 posts of the day and e-mail them to HIO posters who miss a day (kidding – who misses a day?)

Can you imagine getting “Timo’s 10 best” or “Troll of the Week”.

I’d be looking for a restraining order, but maybe that’s just me.

Good luck.

• Adam says:

A blog is intriguing, but keep in mind, this is what I do for a living. I need the income from selling stories, as opposed to giving it away for free on a blog that may or may not attract advertisers.
          Also, I usually write news, not sports. Still, a guy like Fagstein shows it can be done. Just not at the point in my career where I feel like it’s worth the time to invest. Something for the future, maybe.
          For this story in particular, it’s not much of a blog post, but a newspaper feature. That’s why I want to pitch it to Mr. Cowan.

Anyway, thanks for the help to all who answered. It’s a beautiful night, and my barbecue and a few cold ones are beckoning. Have a good night, folks.

• Timo says:

Seeing how my visits have become less and less frequent, it will have to be “Timo’s 10 best” monthly at best. I produce my best material only when inspiration strikes me, not on demand :)

• OverseasFan2 says:

If you want to pitch a story to an editor, send an email with
      * 2-3 paragraph detailed concise story idea that is well written
      * 1 paragraph with your background (student journalist or whatever)
      * your contacts, like tel. and email.
      You can easily find his tel. and email by Googling “Stu Cowan Gazette”
      I’m not going to do that for you because, if you really want to be a reporter, you should be able to find something that easy out yourself!

• Adam says:

I’ve tried getting a hold of him by phone, but have had no luck.
        As for the e-mail, I like doing things by phone. That way you get at least some feedback, and make a bit more of a personal connection. I’m just hoping to find out what times he’s generally around his office, as I’ve called at various hours with no luck.
        And it’s not just him. Same thing for the city desk and arts.
        But thanks for the post. Hopefully he digs the idea, and you guys might just see the article on here in a few months.

• drivefor25 says:

Don’t do it by phone. A nice, concise email (you’re a writer, right?) is more likely to get you a response. I’m speaking as a journalist.

Fan since ’71

• Un Canadien errant says:

I take it you’re an only child and had lots of attention lavished on you when you were growing up. It might explain why you’re perplexed that someone who gets a million calls and emails every day hasn’t gotten right back to you.

What you’re faced with right now is called legwork. Take this idea of yours and make it happen and submit a finished product. If at first you don’t succeed, …

You’ve already received a lot of help from the posters on here, they’ve been patient with you and offered guidance, don’t dismiss their advice. And please stop using this forum for something it was clearly not intended for.

———————————

• Adam says:

Yeah, you nailed it, minus two siblings. But hey, close is close.
            I’m not dismissing any advice. It has been my experience that a phone call is more personal than e-mail. An e-mail is easy to ignore. A phone call, not so much. In my previous job, I tended to disregard people who solicited by e-mail, if only because I received so many in a day. A phone call showed me that the person meant business, and was able to communicate effectively.
            Trust me, all advice I received was appreciated. There’s no need to be condescending.

• LA Loyalist says:

Adam, honestly, for first contact, the phone is the WORST. If someone calls me that I don’t know I am not going to be happy. The phone is so intrusive. YOU are the one who wants something from someone, so figure out how to make it as easy as possible for the person you are trying to contact.

If someone e-mails me and wants info or a favor, I might be inclined to say, ok, call me between 6:15 and 6:45 (generally when I’m driving home) and we can chat. Be concise. It’s called an elevator pitch. If it’s intriguing someone will tell you what they need to see.

Woe is me. I have to go outside for a bike ride to pick up some berries so I can make another frozen smoothie.

Soon people, NASA will be my designer label.

23. wall2bay says:

I don’t know if he’ll be missing Hamrlik…..the last memory that I have of Price and Hamrlik was CP yelling at him at the bench in Game 7 on the Kelly goal.

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

24. HabFab says:

Only 5 of the RFA’s that opted for arbitration are still not signed.

25. joeybarrie says:

I have a feeling the chances of being seriously hurt during a calf roping contest are similar to being in a car accident, hurt fishing, flying planes, stepping on jellyfish at the beach, turning an ankle hiking or playing with your kids…….
    Just because he is a great goalie doesn’t mean the kid can’t live life…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

26. shiram says:

Dubinski 4 years , 16,8 millions, with the Rangers.
    Got it from a yahoo news clipping.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

27. BONZOHABS says:

Carey Price was the best decision PG has made thus far as the Habs GM. I have been a HUGE Carey Price fan ever since his World Juniors come-out when he won the game vs. USA in the shootout. It was Price and Toews! When the Habs drafted him 5th overall, I was so happy and couldn’t wait for him to be in a Habs uniform! I thank Halak for what he did in 2009 playoffs, but Price is the better goalie. Ive been pro-Price since day 1 and always will be. He’s a franchise goaltender! Maybe the next Roy! He’s the reason we made the playoffs last year and he’s going to be the reason for our deep and successful cup run this year! Go Habs Go!

• HabFanSince72 says:

The next Roy? At Price’s age Roy had been to two Stanley Cup final series, having won one cup and one Conn Smythe. He had won one Vezina and three Jennings trophies. His playoff record was 35-17.

Carey’s playoff record is 8-15.

Roy revolutionized the position and is without a doubt the greatest goalie of his generation, possibly of all time, and one of the greatest NHL players since expansion. He is in the same category as Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux.

• shiram says:

Have to agree with HF72 on this, Price is awesome, and he could get better, but comparing him to Roy, well it does not put Price in a good light.
        Price is great, Roy was awesomely great.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• BJ says:

Roy had a very different team in front of him. As great as he was, he was on a better team than Price does now.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Actually the teams that won the ’86 and ’93 cups weren’t that good. Patrick really stole both of those cups – plus we had the fortune of not having to beat the Oilers in 86 or the Penguins in 93.

• BJ says:

I covered the games as a photographer in those years and those were better teams than todays. Check out the rosters.

• LL says:

It’s funny how some players are immortalized after they’re gone and years have gone by.

Roy, was arguably, criticized more than Price by fans and media for his regular season performances, even after winning Cups.

I see Price duplicating that with a better team in front of him.

Edit: Roy was one of the Greats, no doubt about it.

• JayBee says:

Roy had some off years, but in the playoffs, he was ready. You didn’t have to worry about him not showing up. Price is not at that level yet.

It’s blasphemous to compare Price to Roy. Blasphemous….he’d even tell you that.

• LL says:

Who’s comparing them? I dislike comparing goalies on different teams, let alone generations of goalies. Loved Roy then, love Price now and loved Dryden way back then.

Let’s wait and see what Price will be doing in the future instead of looking back.

LOL at blasphemous.

• JayBee says:

OP called him the next Roy.

• Timo says:

Roy did not have Scott Gomez on his team.

• RGM says:

Let’s just be content with him being the first Carey Price. No more, no less. The Roy comparison bugs me and always has. There will NEVER be a next Roy.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

At least he’s not breaking a heel after slipping on ice and his hair is naturally thick.

29. JayBee says:

118F with Humidex in Toronto. This can’t be life. LOL

30. bleedhabs81 says:

I have been a long time lurker (about 2 years) and I finally decided to sign up for an account (in my defence I had tried on two seperate occasions but it never worked on my work computer).

Here are my two cents on CP. I should also state, I was pro CP during the Halak vs CP debate… I always thought he had better rebound control and just needed to figure things out.

Anyway, I say he can do what he wants (as long as the management hasn’t explicitly forbidden it within his contract). It’s his risk to take. He doesn’t owe you or me anything. He does owe it to the Habs to show up and play hard from October to the end of the playoffs, but that is all. The summer is his and he can do what he wants, as long as he follows his contract. Accidents happen everywhere, and I for one am getting tired of the world moving towards wrapping everyone in bubble wrap before they get out of bed.

Children are no longer allowed to play football, or baseball or any other activity “risky” activity at recess because there is a risk of injury (at least many schools here in Calgary).

Life happens… live with it. If Carey want to partake in the rodeo, well, I say good for him and let’s all hope he does not get hurt. At the end of the day, it’s his life, his career, and we are all just lucky that he is on our team.

• Chrisadiens says:

Welcome to the greatest addiction since heroin (not that id know dad lol). Just joined myself too.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

31. JD_ says:

Some people don’t dance, if they
    don’t know who’s singing
    Why ask your head, it’s your
    hips that are swinging
    Life’s for us to enjoy
    Woman, man, girl and boy
    Feel the pain, feel the joy
    And sidestep the little bits of history repeating

Sweet Jeebus on a unicycle, it’s late July!

Who the bloody hell around here was supposed to be keepin’ an eye on Carey’s whereabouts? I want names, damnit!

What about all the lessons learned – ed. note: when you say “lessons learned”, be absolutely sure to do the air quotes as you look around the room – last summer?

Who have we embedded at the rodeo in case Carey needs to have a wayward chunk of corndog fully Heimliched?

Someone dial 9-1-1!

Stat!

32. Chester says:

I remember The Bird playing Polo. Didn’t he do in his leg ?
    I thought that there is some kind of understanding that potentially dangerous activities are to be avoided in the off season.

33. Steven says:

What’s with all the hate for rodeo? He did the exact same thing last year and no one seemed to care much about it. All of a sudden it’s a problem? Come on.

34. Psycho29 says:

I love this site during hockey season. But in the off season it can be a real downer. It’s going to be two off seasons in a row of people bitching and complaining about Price taking part in the rodeo.
    Larry Robinson and Steve Shutt used to play polo in the summer. Robinson broke his leg playing polo and missed a third of the 1987 season. I don’t remember an outcry of complaints when that happened. Didn’t Brisebois race cars in the off season? Malakhov used to ski (no, wait….that was during the season when he was “injured”). Most of the NHL players do their own activities during the off season.
    Maybe we should make Price wear an inflatable sumo suit until September????
    To quote William Shatner….”Get a life people”!!!!!!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

• mike3131 says:

LOL awesome quote/sig.!

• HabsPEI31 says:

Psycho29… we didn’t HAVE HIO in Big Bird or Shutt’s day for us to be able to bitch and complain.

Brisebois, well… it wouldn’t have mattered much to many “fans” anyway.

Malakhov… what a joke his time in Mtl was… hell, we traded Captain Kirk and Schneider for him… well, and Turgeon, mostly, but all the same.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• Un Canadien errant says:

Second HabsPEI31’s point about the lack of online forums. What we had back then were ‘des tavernes, ‘stie ‘, where you had a bunch of men who could talk about momentous matters like the Pierre Larouche for Peter Mahovlich and Peter Lee trade, or the Guy Lafleur “deer hunt” while he was recovering from an ankle injury. He explained how all the running on uneven ground while tracking the deer was really good for his rehab, despite the naysayers who thought he should have been at home resting. Then we found out that he, uh.., hadn’t done much tracking or running after the deer at all.

Oh Guy, if if wasn’t for those 500 goals, how we would have crucified you.

Anyway, these matters and others were discussed at length, in the taverns and on call-in shows on the radio.

“Oui Monsieur Trudel, félicitations pour votre bon programme. On devrait échanger Réjean Houle pour Glenn Anderson…”

———————————

35. punkster says:

I can think of plenty of off season activities with more dangerous consequences than calf roping:
    – sky diving
    – base jumping
    – motorcycle racing
    – testing the new stanchion padding at the Bell
    – trying to keep up with Brad Marchand in a drink by drink Cup celebration
    – disagreeing with HI/O posters about…well, about anything

Let the guy have good, clean fun.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

36. Curtoph says:

Doesn’t look harmful at all, I bet he has just as much chance to get hurt playing a game of golf.

37. HabFanSince72 says:

So the Preds can’t sign Shea Weber and next year Pekka Rinne is a UFA.

How about:

Price + Gorges + a 1st for Weber + Rinne.

• RGM says:

If you instantly want to make me a Predators fan, Sergei notwithstanding, that would do it.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• savethepuck says:

The first guy should never mentioned on this site again when talking trades, even if hypothetical

• Favorite Son says:

I’m down.

• LL says:

Why are u always trying to get rid of Price?

• HalifaxHabs says:

Because he isn’t a fan of Price.

• LL says:

He likes the other guy better, still? ;)

• HabFanSince72 says:

Halak? No?

But if we are going to improve our team through a trade there are only two players other teams want and I would not trade PK for anyone. Even Ovie.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Well we definitely agree on not trading PK for anything.

• LL says:

Ok, fair enough, as much as I love PK, Price is the anchor.
            You believe he let us down in the last playoffs?

Boston had the toughest time with Price. I don’t see where he had a lack of focus or concentration.

Goalies like Price come along only every couple of generations. Why improve another team?

If trading Price really would improve the team, then I’d go for it.
            Only if the offense was so great, goaltending became inconsequential a la Dryden in his last years.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I wouldn’t go that far. I’m a fairly big fan of the lad. However the deal I proposed is so laughably one sided (in our favour) that the Preds would never go for it.

Price still has not convinced me he has the focus and concentration to go all the way. Mind you Thomas didn’t go all the way until the age of 37.

Another problem is that Carey will be looking for a Di pietro / Luongo style contract very soon.

• HalifaxHabs says:

As usual, well put HFS ’72.

However, I am completely sold on Price. I feel like he was only a fraction of a step behind Thomas this year, and he is almost 15 years younger.

You’ll point to game 3 or 4, which ever was the one the Bruins got 5 or 6 passed him as evidence he might not have the concentration/focus factor. It’s tough to argue he wasn’t on his game that day. But even Halak got pulled 3 times in his big playoff run.

You and I could debate Price for ever on here, but in the end time will tell.

I hope I’m right

• J_P says:

Id rather leave price and rinne out of it and cough up more than that for weber alone.

Ill give them gorges, a solid prospect, a first , a second and a third for weber easy.

38. ProHabs says:

People shouldn’t be worried about Price getting hurt in a rodeo. But they should be worried about Price, Subban, Eller, MaxPac getting injured playing the Bruins unless Goattier does the right thing and gets some protection for these players.

The Goat should sign Brad Winchester and Cam Janssen for $600 each. Cheap protection for our talent.

• mike3131 says:

Janssen signed with NJ.

• G-Man says:

Janssen already signed. With you on Winchester. $600 ought to do it.

• piper says:

First time poster and long time reader. Great site you guys have here with some good discussion.
        Been a Hab fan since 71 and still nothin worse than loosing to the bruins. Not a fan of the cheap shots or the fighting but it looks like it’s here to stay after seeing what went on this year around the league.
        Too late now but I would have liked to see PG sign MacIntyre and Rypen. I can’t see Chara, Lucic, Horton, and the likes doing what they did last season with those two in the lineup.
        4 to 5 minutes a game on the 4th line won’t hurt the team and just having them on the bench would be a deterant. I know a few of you don’t agree but I’d bet my last dollar it would.
        I also think that if Paciorety had not been injured the bruins would not have won the cup.

I know……so old.

39. HalifaxHabs says:

I’m just glad Carey isn’t competing in a moustache growing contest.

40. Ghosts of the Forum says:

The Canadiens second round loss to the Bruins? Jeez, I missed out on the entire first round.

I wouldn’t stress about an injury here folks, roping events aren’t really dangerous at all — except for the poor calfs of course.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

HOF man Larry Robinson was an avid polo player when he was with the Habs. If cutting loose in the summer with amateur rodeo helps Price ease his mind going into seasons so he can play at a Vezina level, so be it. Josh Harding blew his ACL/MCL last year in pre-season action. Should we ban our ‘franchise’ players from playing that leg of training camp?

• HalifaxHabs says:

Well put.

• Chrisadiens says:

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, the first and only father-son tandem on HIO.

• Bash says:

Not the only one! My son and I both post to this site. He has been a die hard since birth :) Am I surprised??

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• Chrisadiens says:

Oh man! Now i have to change my sig. Haha. Chorske had suggested we may be the only ones.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, the first and only father-son tandem on HIO.

• Chrisadiens says:

New sig…..

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

slick
            Go Habs Go

• HabFab says:

Chris, there was another pair besides Bash (I was not aware of him) but haven’t seen either post in awhile. Was letting you revelle in your glory! Damn site is addictive though, isn’t it?

• Chrisadiens says:

@HabFab Thx for lettin me enjoy it for a couple days. I already need HIO anonymous. INSANELY addicted

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• HalifaxHabs says:

you think it’s bad now Chris… wait until the season starts.

42. savethepuck says:

I can’t believe there’s people on here complaining about this. I thought there was a lot of bitching about this last year because there was a lot of hate for Carey and the backlash of the Halak trade ( which I thought was BS btw). But seriously, the guys calf roping, he’s not getting thrown off a bronc or being gored by a bull. Let the kid have a hobby.

43. Zenhabs93 says:

This is the sort of situation where if management allows this in moderation it will go a long way to getting him re signed for less than what he could get from a ridiculous, overpaying team like say,…Columbus or New York.Players remember that sort of gesture from the club.I say keep doing whatever keeps him racking up the wins. Go Habs Go!

44. HabFanSince72 says:

I wonder how our GM feels about rodeo.

45. Habfan10912 says:

For God sakes son be careful.

46. LL says:

He could just as easily slip on a patch of ice, which I’m sure has happened to all of us at least once.

Here I am stuck at home this week with a stretched muscle in my back because, get this, I tripped over the exercise machine. lol

47. G-Man says:

Let’s all hope he doesn’t do anything else that’s dangerous, like macramé.

One more confirmation that goalies are just weird.

• krob1000 says:

he’s just trying using some training aids to teach those stupid little calves to close the five hole … don’t most hockey players do some teaching in the offseason?

49. Curtoph says:

Hardly looks that dangerous, he’s just chasing around a baby cow with a rope, if he gets injured doing that… well then I’ll be damned

50. HabsFanInTampa says:

Is this really a good idea? God forbid he gets injured and can’t play as our #1 goaltender.

51. RGM says:

On the same topic of the goalie…I don’t know if we have any other hockey card collectors amongst us, but check out this gem of a Carey Price card that sold yesterday for, you guessed it, $1531.00 : http://cgi.ebay.com/10-11-Ultimate-Signature-Logo-Carey-Price-1-1-So-Sick-/220817091362

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• HabsPEI31 says:

That’s just nuts. If he’d won the Cup, maybe. With a Conn Smythe. But he ain’t there yet.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

52. RGM says:

For all the slack we give Pierre, I loved his call on that save: “It’s the save of the year and it’s not even the year yet!”

Good to hear that Carey’s enjoying his summer.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

53. mdp2011 says:

that’s all the Habs need, Carey Price flying off a horse and breaking something, out for the season, YIKES!!!!