Cournoyer speaks about vacant Habs captaincy

Former Canadiens captain Yvan Cournoyer says the Habs shouldn’t rush into naming a new captain to replace Brian Gionta.

“Maybe it’s too rushed to have a captain named before the season,” Cournoyer told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs on the weekend. “Maybe they can wait a little bit and once the season starts and the guys are together a little, they can talk among themselves and say: ‘This guy can do the job.’ ”

The 70-year-old Cournoyer, who hoisted the Stanley Cup four times as Canadiens captain between 1975 and 1979, added that it’s hard for him to say who on the current Habs roster has the potential to be captain. But he did say the captain should be decided by the players, not a management appointment.

“I’m not with them, I don’t know what they can do,” Cournoyer told Stubbs about who could wear the C next. “A captain is not just something on the ice. Most of the time, it’s what he’s good at off the ice. It’s to bring the guys together.”

And Cournoyer doesn’t think it would be a good idea for two players to share the captaincy, as was the case with Guy Carbonneau and Chris Chelios during the 1989-90 season.

“That’s not the way to go,” Cournoyer, who won a total of 10 Stanley Cups with the Habs, told Stubbs.

“Is the captain very, very, very important today, compared to what he once was? I don’t know,” he added. “Maybe it doesn’t have the same sense as in the days of Maurice (Richard) and Jean (Beliveau) and Henri (Richard).

“Captains are traded now or they choose to go elsewhere. We’d change a few guys from one season to another but today, even if you win, you’re going to change the team with the salary cap and free agency.”

Max Pacioretty was on TSN Radio 690 Monday and said he has had discussions with P.K. Subban about the vacant captaincy and that both players were ready to fill the void left by Gionta’s departure to Buffalo.

“We briefly touched upon being leaders and wearing letters potentially on this team, but at the end of the day everybody on the team wants what’s best for the team and if people feel like me or PK or someone else would be a good candidate for the captain then I’m 100 per cent on board with whatever decision is made,” Pacioretty told the radio station.

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

Off-ice skills key to wearing C for Habs, Cournoyer says, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Pacioretty says he and Subban ready to fill leadership void, TSN.ca

Ho-Sang gets Subban treatment from Hockey Canada, by Jack Todd

Whew! It’s official, PJ Stock is still gainfully employed and will be able teach young kids all across Canada the finer points in hockey.

• habcertain says:

Why no names for regional coverage of the Habs? I don’t think they have enough staff……

• Luke says:

Wow. What a steaming pile of same ol’, same ol’.

I don’t know why I’m surprised, but I thought they could have been a bit more creative.

But at least we know exactly how every single hockey broadcast will be structured, plotted, shot and presented for the next 12 years.

• GrimJim says:

Poor Elliotte Friedman doesn’t get a bio in the new faces section, just gets listed as a studio analyst

2. Phil C says:

There is no question in my mind that the NHL has made hockey unsafe to play by allowing big collisions while checking (should be called charging), by allowing big collisions along the boards (should be called boarding), and allowing these already unsafe hits to be late (should be called interference). However I was thinking of the other side of the coin and wondered why is the NHL so afraid of enforcing the rules as they are written? Maybe the have a legitimate concern and are not just idiots.

The question which has been bothering me is if they took out the big hits and fighting, would hockey still be interesting to watch and be a good business? My brain tells me that soccer and basketball do just fine without body-checking or fighting, so hockey shouldn’t need it. But down in my gut there is a worry that hockey might lose something without the violence. This is one of the obstacles to change. Without the NHL setting the example, it will be tough to make the sport safer.

• Hobie says:

Not getting into this debate again lol. However, if you took the massive hits away from Subban and Emelin and banned Prust from fighting, watching hockey would seriously lose a lot excitement.

A 1-1 game in December with no hits or fights…yikes.

Hobie’s Habs Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byrgZ90b5Yw&feature=youtu.be

• Phil C says:

No big collisions I mean. You could still stand a player up, rub him out along the boards, check him off the puck, just no big collisions and nothing late. More like how they used to hit without helmets. Can you imagine today’s game without helmets?

I agree something would be lost without the violence. But a greater premium would be placed on hockey skills instead of physical skills. All the goons would be gone and replaced by hockey players. Without late hits, a greater premium would be placed on speed and skill. This would improve the entertainment value of the game, I’m just not sure it fully offsets the loss of the violence from an entertainment perspective.

BTW, in general, Emelin is a very good hitter. He separates players from the puck while rarely injuring them. He occasionally does something unsafe like when he tried to decapitate Malone, but for the most part if everyone hit like Emelin, the game would be fine.

• habcertain says:

Ever been to a ringette game? Hockey without a physical element would be doomed to become extinct.

3. DipsyDoodler says:

I would have no problem letting my son playing hockey in the US, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, etc …

It’s the Canadian game that is the aberration.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

4. Un Canadien errant says:

Sean McIndoe on why scoring has gone down from the heights reached in the eighties.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

• Phil C says:

I think he missed one of the biggest reason for high scoring in the 1970s and 1980s, the diluting effect of rapid expansion. The league doubled in 1967 and increased by another 9 teams by 1980. Imagine what the NHL would look like if they doubled the teams to 60, especially without any cap limits to prevent teams from loading up on talent.

5. NightRyder says:

Scott Gomez has a tryout with the Devils.

6. Habfan10912 says:

I read twi, Cal and others debating whether parents should allow children to play hockey. Please take my two cents with a huge grain of salt. My parental grade would have been a “C” at best but I like to think after it was all said and done I learned a thing or two.

My advise? Encourage your children to participant in anything and everything they show an interest. Music ( yes, even the drums) singing, all sports, acting or whatever. Let the young one decide what his/her preferences are.

There are so many dangerous things in our children’s path today. I don’t envy parents today. The world is a scary place and I think sports or other interest are the preventive medicine to avoid a lot of them.

Oh yeah one more thing. Love the buggers no matter what they do/become. CHeers.

• Forum Dog says:

Good post. There are a tonne of great things out there for kids to do. And despite all the hand-wringing, hockey is one of them. Yeah, it’s a physical sport where people can get injured. I’ve have my leg put on backwards and taken some pretty heavy hits, but it is one of the most high intensity and rewarding sports a kid can play. And up until around age 14-15, the hitting is not that severe. It is at about that time that the kids who are gonna take a bit further (i.e. major junior or college) start to separate themselves.

Bottom line, please don’t discourage your kids from playing hockey. Just don’t force them to play at a level or pace they themselves are not comfortable with. Even if they only ever play house league, they will develop good skills and an appreciation of teamwork. The best hockey of my life will probably always be the imaginary Cups my brother and I won on the frozen ponds and fields of our hometown….

• Cal says:

I’ve been in rinks where 8-year-olds are playing and do you know what I am hearing from the parents? “Kill him!”
      The belief that they are parents of the Next Big Thing is so rampant it’s crazy.
      It’s supposed to be fun for the kids, not a battleground where thugs are encouraged a la Mighty Ducks movies.

• Kooch7800 says:

I like your post Jim. As a parent I will let my kids choose what they want but I will also make sure that they have all of the options. I have two girls and if they want to play hockey then I will encourage it. I won’t push it on them though.

I also agree idle hands are the devils play thing. The busy you keep your kid the less trouble is hopefully going to find them. There has to be balance though as you only get to be a kid once and when that is over that freedom is gone forever and the real world kicks in

• frontenac1 says:

Well said Jim! Couldn’t agree more. There is a lot more dangerous things that kids do than hockey(the greatest game on the planet). Expose your kid to as many sports as possible and then let them decide. Same with the arts. It’s all good, just keep em busy. Saludos!

• bwoar says:

As a drummer raising drummers, I approve this message.

• Phil C says:

I agree with you to let them do things they find interesting. You also have to let them take some risks and responsibilities. If my kids want to play hockey, that’s fine, there are lots on non-contact leagues. But I also think a parent has to set the limits because kids don’t always understand the risks they are taking. My personal limit would be no contact hockey. Each parent and kid has different skills and limits, so there is no right or wrong answer here. This is just my personal limit.

Shiram -

MaxPac/DD/Galchenyuk
    Bournival/Pleks/Gallagher
    Bourque/Eller/Parenteau
    Prust/Malhotra/Wiese
    Moen/Rookie

24 Cups

• shiram says:

Chucky is a left winger when not center though, and I tried to have everyone on their correct wing as mush as possible.

Which is why I had Bourque on the right, where he has had most of his productive years.

Bournival is a tough sell for me as a top 6 player, he just does not have the offense for it.

And Parenteau is a top 6 player, for sure, but I guess your lineup as Eller as the second line?

• 24 Cups says:

Having Chucky play his off wing is just me thinking outside the box. It gives you a truly explosive line and beefs up the PP. Also maximizes DD’s potential.

Bourque shoots left so he’ll play where he’s told to, take it or leave it. I’m not falling for his playoff performance. This guy will have to do a lot more to win me over.

Under this format, there would be no 2nd or 3rd line as they would be interchangeable. Pleks stops dreaming of being the offensive catalyst and has linemates who can help with a shutdown role as well as create some offense.

HIO posters have to stop automatically assuming that Parenteau and Sekac can just step in and play top six minutes (although that’s exactly what MT & MB will try to do during the first half of the season). Sekac is a rookie, just like Tinordi. Parenteau looks great alongside Tavares and Duchene /Stastny but is totally useless in his own end of the rink. I’d regulate his TOI and have him play the 2nd PP unit.

None of this will happen. The Habs will roll out the red carpet for Parenteau on the 1st line/PP and let Sekac get Pleks minutes due to his nationality. All I’m saying is I’d try and find a way to let Galchenyuk break loose. That’s not going to happen playing with Pleks and getting 2nd unit PP minutes.

Galchenyuk is the 4th building block to go along with Price, Subban and MaxPac. Those four are the foundation of the franchise for the next decade. Let the guy play!!!

24 Cups

• Ozmodiar says:

Your thinking isn’t that far outside the box.

Chucky played almost exclusively on the right side in Sarnia after he was drafted.

• krob1000 says:

I think it is MaxPac who should be on the offwing. He scores the bulk of his goals from the right side anyway, that is where he is opened up for his one timers, that is also where he has both sides of the net to shoot at when streaking down the wing…it is where he scores most of his goals from anyway I would figure. I think Chcuky has alredy been moved from a natural center to the wing…don;t make it nay harder on him and have him playing his off wing…he isn;t a shooter anyway.

• shiram says:

Chucky has to show consistently that he warrants top 6 minutes though.
          They should not roll out the carpet for him either.
          You can also have different lines for ES and PP.
          I’d be fine with a first PP wave of Patches/DD/Chucky.

Agreed on Bourque, he can play both sides, but there’s space enough to accommodate him on the right wing, I feel.

And Pleks is still a better offensive catalyst than Eller is, until proven otherwise, so there’s no reason to bump him down, yet.

I agree on Sekac, and I’ve said all along he could be in Hamilton, but I think Parenteau has a place in our top, especially right wing, where we are weak.
          There’s just not many other options, unless you put someone off wing like you did with Chucky.
          Parenteau getting soft minutes with DD and Patches make sense, and he’s got a pretty good shooting % career wise, so I don’t see the issue.
          If he can stay healthy.

So yeah, maybe go with Max/DD/Chucky on the first pp, but I’d reserve that RW spot for Parenteau at ES, until he proves unfit for it.
          Second PP could have Bourque/Pleks/Gally/Eller or whatever…

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Switch Eller and DD and we are rolling

• Forum Dog says:

Don’t want to jump into your discussion with Shiram, but how about:

Pacioretty-DD-Parenteau
      Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
      Sekac-Plekanec-Bourque
      Prust-Malhotra-Weise

Moen/Bournival

8. UKRAINIANhab says:

Very soon there could be no Russian players allowed in the NHL. Sooner rather than later…

Anyways… Would Quebec City getting there Hockey team back hit the Habs hard? Maybe, the Habs would lose some fans? When a city gets a team everyone sortive hops on the bandwagon, only to hop right off (Redblacks). I can’t see an NHL team in Vegas, with the gambling and stuff, I just don’t think it will work. Another team in Toronto? This is the most likely scenario…

9. krob1000 says:

Re the warning track…I see nothing wrong with the idea but I can’t help but wonder if there is a better way. If you are going to go ahead with something like this at all then why not have the orange strip out further and a white space between the boards and the line…so for instance 2 ft white ice from boards out, then 2 ft orange. Hits would only be allowed in orange area if from the front. Hitting in the white area nearest the boards in tight should be fine.

Saves them half the paint too.

• bwoar says:

While I respect people’s attempts to come up with a solution to dangerous hits against the boards, this is a solution that doesn’t solve the problem.

It’s not OK to hit from behind or to make a blind hit on someone. Start getting hockey players to respect THAT, and have a league that severely penalizes these plays. Toss players out of the league for repeat infractions. Like, the 2nd time they do it.

Until the game’s rules are respected and shaped with player safety in mind, no amount of paint can save anybody. And until a player’s NHL career is at stake, they have no reason to take these things seriously – it’s always “other peoples’ safety”.

• shiram says:

Agreed, it needs to be something the NHLPA and NHL agree upon an enforce, severely.

Novel concept having the league enforce the rulebook as it is presently written. Heck they might even then have to deal with “Finish your checks”. Perhaps the single biggest demise in hockey and a huge contributor to head injuries.

The concept when hockey was drawn up (based on the rulebook) is to allow contact to seperate the player from the puck. Today it is encouraged, lauded and cheered when a player hits someone already seperated from the puck.

• bwoar says:

That’s the real kicker – bodychecking is to separate the player from the puck. I don’t understand why that idea isn’t hardened into the game in 2014.

• krob1000 says:

? who said it is ok to hit from behind? I seruiously doubt though that many of the injuires are intentional hits from behind…just as often it is a quick move or an off balance player getting spun. what I am saying is that the “Danger zone” is not tight against the boards….so leave things as is there ..tight tot the boards. BUT instead make the danger zone where contact must be thought about first…maybe no hits at all is what I was getting at.

If we are going to thin aobu this in an lll reaslistic approach..tehn teh bottom line is there is no safe way to hve players moving at up to 20km-30km an hour and have it be allowed to hit them into a stationary object at all. Remove the bords then if you are that concerned. Otherwise no mater how enforced rules are there will still be accidents and major injuries. Would be an interesting game if you could not dump it up the boards and other team got possession if it went out of bounds..

• bwoar says:

I kinda like that out of bounds idea heh.

btw I wasn’t implying anything about you or anyone saying it’s OK to hit from behind. I think you misunderstood me on that.

10. DipsyDoodler says:

Replace the boards with a 12-inch high strip. Surround the rink with big inflatable rubber matts. When the puck goes out of bounds it’s a throw in like in soccer. When a player gets checked into the side of the rink he just goes flying into the mattresses. Safe and funny.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

11. shiram says:

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gallagher
    Galchenyuk – Plekanec – Parenteau
    Sekac – Eller – Bourque
    Prust – Malhotra – Weise

Bournival – Moen

Markov – Subban
    Emelin – Gilbert
    Beaulieu – Weaver

If Sekac does not make it, Bourque back on Eller’s left wing, Weise on the right, and Bourni on the 4th left wing.
    Makes sense?

If we’re going wild with trying new stuff, then Galchenyk takes DD’s spot at Center, DD goes to his right with Patches on the left.
    Gallagher drops with Eller, and Bourque goes to Plekys left wing.

Pacioretty – Galchenyuk – Desharnais
    Bourque – Plekanec – Parenteau
    Sekac – Eller – Gallagher
    Prust – Malhotra – Weise

• Hobie says:

That is exactly the way I’d like to see things end up as well. With Tinordi and Weaver battling and rotating in and out of the 6th spot on defence. Hopefully Tinordi overtakes him by the season’s end though, or immediately. I realize he isn’t right handed.

The lineup might look slightly different but the players are correct.

• shiram says:

Yeah I was mostly trying to get the right guys in their right position and wings, while trying my hand at a full roster.

Tinordi could step in, camp will be key for him to show improvement.

I still think Pateryn could overtake him on the depth charts, being a more complete player, and being older, he has less to learn in Hamilton.

I think it would do better for Tiny to play long tough minutes in Hamilton than 10-12 minutes over few games in the big club.

Sparing a few games for Weaver would be good, as he’s no spring chicken.

We’ll see, Therrien and co. always come up with a few surprises, and hopefully some rookies do surprise us as well.

• Hobie says:

That Tinordi Vs Pateryn battle seems to be the most debated topic around here headed into training camp. Should be interesting.

• Kooch7800 says:

Isn’t Pateryn a Right D and Tinordi a Left D?

• Hobie says:

Yes. I can’t imagine that will have too much impact on a decision though. At this point Tinordi already has to be the favourite to make it. If they are equal I think Tinordi makes it.

After Bergevin personally assigned Tinordi his father’s number last fall, made a big deal of welcoming him to the team, Tinordi having more NHL games under his belt than Beaulieu and Pateryn, he’s almost guaranteed to start the season in Montreal.

• shiram says:

Well there’s Budaj/Tokarski and what to do with them.
            Chucky at center versus DD or Pleky.

Sekac in Hamilton or on the big club.

Pateryn Tinordi is more recent.
            But it’s the good kind of problem to have.

Could be we see Pateryn instead of Beaulieu then.
            Pateryn/Tinordi-Weaver would make for a decent third pair.

• Kooch7800 says:

It will be interesting. From what I have seen in their playing Pateryn is more NHL ready from watching them both in AHL games. I am also not a scout. They have some decisions to make. I think Beaulieu will be the rookie to make it this year. His skating really sets him apart

• Hobie says:

I think it would be awesome to have a bottom paring of Tinordi-Pateryn. Doesn’t seem like that’s in the cards though at the moment. Especially after the Weaver signing. That would be too many young defencemen in the lineup, I guess.

• shiram says:

I like Weaver, he’s a great bottom pairing guy, heart kind of guy.
            But there’s always an appeal to have young players step in, it’s exciting to see what they can bring to a team.

And Pateryn being a big strong physical Dman at 6’2” and 222 pounds is also an interesting aspect of his game.

12. John Q Public says:

“Sekac craque pour Montréal”
    Better get some help quick.

13. Psycho29 says:

Some possible good news:

Mitch Melnick ‏@HunterZThompson ·2 min

So it looks like there will be regional TV coverage of Habs games in english. You’ll have to stay tuned.

• formerly known as the hc says:

Am I to assume that “Regional” means ‘…but not out West…’?

-The beatings will continue until morale improves-

• Timo says:

You are correct. West gets screwed in this deal… big time and most disconcerting is that the Montreal Canadiens organization doesn’t give a sh!t, which pretty much puts them in the same bucket as Rogers and the NHL.

• Luke says:

‘screwed’? C’mon man…

Here’s the (a) thing folks… We don’t get regional Calgary Flames games or Oilers, or Canucks in Ontario… no one noticed, or cared.

I think this is the ultimate kicker… it’s regional rights.
          That it is for the team you follow is what has people upset.

The language may be a caveat, but all of the Flames/Oilers/Canucks games aren’t available in French in Quebec either.

I believe this is more of a leveling the field than anything else.

However, good luck and continue to fight the good fight, but ‘screwed’? Nah… We had a bonus (loophole, more likely) and they took it away.

We are now stuck trying to find out of market games just like every other fan who lives outside of their favourite teams market.

• DipsyDoodler says:

You’re right, and that is why Molson doesn’t complain. If he demands Habs game to be shown out west that means they lose their nice Quebec monopoly.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• Hobie says:

I think it might only end up being available on one of the carriers like Bell, as it was last year. I live in the Habs region but I have Rogers so last year I didn’t have access to those 30 regional English games only available on Bell.

I heard Melnick on the radio with a Bell executive the other day asking why if RDS (Bell) has all those regional French games this year can’t TSN (Bell) also brodcast some in English. The executive stated the Senators have some impact on the matter but stuff is in the works.

Again though, I think if they do end up adding a English regional package it will only be available on one of the networks like Bell. So if you have Rogers you’ll have all 82 games in French, some English, but not the 30 or so English regional games.

• Timo says:

All 82 games in french? Awww. I weep for you.

• Hobie says:

Trust me Timo, I feel for people outside the Habs regional area. I already pay too much for cable and would be outraged if I had to add NHL Center Ice or another alternative.

However, it’s 2014. My French is OK but other members of my household and guests don’t speak any French. You would think that in 2014 I could have the option to watch all 82 Habs games in English. Kinda F*&#ed up if you ask me?

A former hockey player in the States who suffered two spinal injuries in hockey is making a push for a “warning track” or “look-up” line on the ice to help prevent players from going head first into boards.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Is he serious?

“I don’t see any negative to this at all,” said New York Rangers forward Chris Kreider. “I think NHL players have a feel for where they are on the ice, but this could be helpful for younger players …”

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• twilighthours says:

The kid says “As soon as I hit the boards, I knew I was paralyzed. I remember thinking I should have never come back. Somebody screwed up.”

He got lucky after the first accident that he was able to recover. He regrets taking the sport back up.

So should we all be very hesitant to put our kids in hockey? Serious question. I’m wrestling with it. I know the chances of injury are small, but you rarely get a second chance.

• Cal says:

Considering how Bettman is allowing the league to be filled with thugs, and that kids look up to those thugs, the easy answer is no.
          The NHL is the role model here in North America and they don’t give a rat’s ass about protecting players. Protect your kids. Don’t let them take up a sport run by lunatics.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I agree. It isn’t the risk of accidents so much as the ethos of thuggery that pervades the game.

When adults push 15-16 year olds to fight each other it’s not a sport for sane people.

And there are lots of alternatives.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Cal and twilighthours…I think they ought to do away with all sports…they are all dangerous and probably would result in serious debilitating injuries. I also agree that Bettman is not only allowing the league to be filled up with thugs he is actively recruiting them. The sole purpose is to injure as many players as possible. Now in seriousness I understand your concern on your kids entering hockey and how there is a possibility of injury and possibly serious injury but really you guys post a lot on here and seem to be big fans of the Habs and then you post something like this. If you really think hockey is filled with thugs why not watch lawn bowling or that type of sport.

• DipsyDoodler says:

If you think city hall is corrupt why not move to a different city?

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• Heard about this on NHL Radio yesterday.

Not a fan of that idea, there would be too many kids driving the play towards the line because they know it’s safe.

They only sure fire way is to have referees, and coaches teach respect on ice and even that won’t work because there are too many coaches who think they have to do what ever it takes to win.

Shane Oliver
      @sholi2000
      A Little fun during the Intermission
      Brandon Predators End Season Video

• shiram says:

The argument I keep hearing against this is that pro hockey player should have awareness of where they are on the ice, and as such no need of this.

And I hate the visual clutter on the rink, so adding glaring yellow lines would annoy me.

In lower leagues though, I don’t see why not.

• Kooch7800 says:

I guess he doesn’t watch game tape

• Luke says:

I kind of agree… I don’t think he was the worst of the bunch during his time here… expectations seemed for him to be the defensive defender… that’s not an issue with Kabs.

He wasn’t great, by any stretch, but I do think he got a bit of a raw deal…

• Timo says:

No one is. For the past 20 years and counting no one know what the hell went wrong with this organization.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I guess athletes have to have this huge sense of self-worth, this belief in oneself that amounts to these gigantic blind spots, this denial about the reality of their situation. Tomas Kaberle was always uninvolved and passionless when with the Leafs. His meager contribution dried up, and he was then useless to anyone, as evinced by Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford.

Our pudgy square peg had much the same discourse last off-season, after being bought out, with a healthy dash of bluster. He said he was training as hard as he’d ever had (thanks for not doing so while we were paying you you douche), and couldn’t wait to prove the Canadiens and his doubters wrong. Sure enough, he didn’t get a sniff of an offer, and spent the season in Europe. Way to show us Tomas!

15. Mmmich says:

Edit, my original post was meant for “down there” so was out of place.

• shiram says:

I’ve never heard the blocker being referred to as a biscuit.

• Un Canadien errant says:

En français, we used to call the blocker “le biscuit”, although René Lecavalier or Richard Garneau never did.

• shiram says:

Ouais je suis francophone, but I guess it must be an older thing.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ouais, c’est possible, j’me rappelle qu’on se disait ça, “Lance du côté du biscuit, il est pas fort là”, quand je jouais mosquito, pee-wee, durant les années soixante-dix. Par contre, je ne me souviens pas du mot juste, le terme technique. Chest pad=plastron, blocker= ?

This site says it’s ‘bouclier’, and I know Marc Denis uses this, but I can’t remember what the announcers on “La Soirée du Hockey” used to say.

• shiram says:

J’entends souvent bouclieur, ou même bloqueur.

Faut comprendre que je suis récemment convertit au hockey , même si c’est pervasif au Québec, la télé était interdite chez nous après 18-19 heures, donc je n’ai pas grandit en regardants les Canadiens.

J’ai joué un peu avec des amis, et au secondaire, mais je ne suivait pas les matches de la NHL.

Il y as 6 ans, j’était sans emplois pendant quelques mois, je passait mes journées a chercher des emplois, mais les soirs de semaines étaient un peu ennuyeux, un de mes amis m’as convertit, et je suis fans depuis.

Good Morning Boys & Girls!
    Your Summit update information is in the link below!
    Your game tickets are in the mail.

When you get them, note your seat on here, and find out who gets to sit with guest Henri Richard.??

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

17. JUST ME says:

Everytime an obscure reporter from an unknown newspaper from an american city talks about expansion to sell papers the NHL have no choice but to come out since they are talking about their product but they would be foolish in the actual economic conditions to try anything. They are at the maximum of what they can do with what they have. Ideally a few less team would be even better financially but it would not send the proper signal to commercial investors…

As for Québec city i am sooooo tired of it coming back every 3 months. Nobody has ever answered the main question with anything else than wishfull thinking . From the illustrious words of Cuba Gooding jr. SHOW ME THE MONEY ! No one in the province has the money to afford either an NHL team or an MLB team no one.

• Loop_Garoo says:

It has nothing to do with economic conditions, and everything to do with expansion fees. The NHL will expand in the next couple years, but there probably are no details to release, and if there were, they still may not release them.

NHL has two monster TV contracts in U.S. and Canada, wouldn’t surprise me in the least that the NHL has indicated that more marketplaces will soon be available.

NHL has feasted its life on giant expansion fees, the owners love it. That is all the motivation they need.

But who knows…. I never thought I would see a 30 team league….

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think it’s pretty clear who would be the owner of the Nordiques Deuxpointzéro. Pierre-Karl Péladeau is part of the Gary Bettman-Rogers cabal, he’s negotiated a deal with the city and province that they pay for the arena and he’ll magnanimously ‘run’ it, despite complaints by Évenko that they’d have liked a shot at it, a chance to bid on that contract.

Mr. Péladeau’s Québécor, which includes TVA, needs the games the Nordiques will play for content to sell. He’ll be able to claim to lose money on the Nordiques, and threaten to renegotiate the operations deal, or else, while any losses will be an accounting dodge, a paper loss that doesn’t represent the benefit to his overall wealth of owning the team.

18. Max says:

I saw a bit of Burger King bashing a few days ago.I don’t care what anyone says,the whopper is a hell of a sandwich.It’s the only fast food burger I’ll eat.

19. ClutchNGrab says:

If Gionta would have waited a little more, he could have signed with the Devils as well. Hire Jacques Martin, sign the Kostitsyn brothers, Hal Gill and Marc-Andre Bergeron, trade for Gorges and they have a team that could make the ECF.

20. Paz says:

One of the coach’s key responsibilities is to maximize the effectiveness of each of his players. The coach has to identify the player’s skills and then match those skills with a role.
    For example,
    Is Plekanec expected to contribute 40 points or 60 points?
    Who should be the wingers on Plekanec’ line and what is expected of them?

I think these are two open questions right now, and from my point of view it does NOT make sense to have Galchenyuk contribute 40 points next to Plekanec, when the same player could get 60 or even 70 points playing with Pacioretty and Desharnais for example.

Don’t forget this team lacks scoring, especially 5 on 5.

There’s a reason why wingers struggle to score next to Plekanec. He plays a defence first game. He rarely takes chances deep in the offensive zone. He rarely will create a play that involves some risk of turnover. He continues to score 20 goals, but he is not an offensive minded center at this point in his career. His game has changed since the days he was putting up close to 70 points.

So it is time to move Galchenyuk, one of our most creative offensive players, to a line that thinks offence, that takes offensive face offs, that is expected to score. We can try Galchenyuk at right wing or move Max to right wing, or even make Galchenyuk the center and move Desharnais to the wing. Whatever works.

I think, and I mentioned last year many times, Bournival is a perfect match for Plekanec as a winger, not Galchenyuk. Bournival has the speed and the defensive first game to play with Pkekanec. He also digs hard in the offensive zone, creates turnovers, and passes well. He set up Plekanec on a few key goals last October. He plays on the wing but he creates offence instead of scoring. Bournival is a natural center by the way, and he was great there in junior.

• Forum Dog says:

I agree with most of what you write here, but I also think that Plekanec is not a creative playmaker, regardless of his defensive responsibilities.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Plekanec toss a pass to the middle of the ice from the sidewall, only to have the opposing team pick it up and turn it back the other way. Often this is when he is under physical pressure. Plekanec does not play in the dirty areas of the ice. Almost all of his offense is created in transition. He is not a possession player, and does not hold the puck well in the offensive zone. Everything is little touches here and there. When he plays with linemates that are great possession players (like Kovalev or Jagr), or gets 1st line PP minutes, he can put up some points. But otherwise he is a slightly above average centre with good wheels and a decent hockey IQ.

Offensive vision/creativity and tenacity/grit are not his strong suits. That said, I don’t have a problem with him centering Galchenyuk, as long as they let the offense run through the latter. If they can get a line where Galchenyuk and his opposite winger create down low, they can probably be a good offensive line. Plekanec is a great complimentary player. But Galchenyuk will need someone who can cycle down low and get to the net in order to grow offensively, since that is what will help his quick hands and creative, precise passing come to the fore.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, and I think, although not done the right way, that was what Vanek was saying. He was brought in for his goal scoring and was placed with Pleks who as you say, is not creative. He is more a dump, chase and shadow type of player. He does not have that gift of threading a pass like DD or Galchenyuk.

Habfan17

• Ozmodiar says:

Or they could keep Chucky and Pleks together and give them more PP time. They could also give them a few more offensive zone draws, which they might be able to do now that MM is in town.

If you’re looking at the numbers, you can’t omit the PP stats.

The season before last, Pleks had 15 PP pts – the most of any forward, on pace for 30 over 82 games (thank you, grade 2 math). Last season, his PP time was cut by a minute / game, not to mention the quality, and he had 10 points over 81 games.

Is he a 40 or 60 point guy?? It might depend on whether or not he’s putting up 10 or 30 on the PP.

Certainly, there’s more to it than the PP (line-mates, responsibilities), but it’s something that can’t be overlooked.

Very eager/curious to see how MT plays/manages his lines this year. MB has spoken about how the team may take a step back to take 2 steps forward, MT has a long term contract. Will we see the team now start taking such steps to make the team better in the long run? I also very much agree with Bournival being a perfect linemate to Plex, he is a young Gionta in some ways.

CHeers Ed!

• Ozmodiar says:

except Gionta could score. ;)

if you think folks are complaining about Pleks’ offense now, just wait until he plays regularly with Bourni.

With a healthy line-up, Bourni’s a 4th line guy. He might get 3rd line duties. Bottom line, Pleks + Bourni talk is premature until Eller passes Pleks on the depth chart.

I’m not at all complaining about Plex or his production, and I concur that Bournival is yet to show the goalscoring needed to become everyday NHL’er that deserves to be on a top 6 or even top 9 forward.

Having said that, he plays the length of the rink, he is fast skating, he appears to have very good hockey smarts and competes every shift. It is the way he plays the game smart that reminds me of Gionta, but his scoring needs to improve.

I just agree that Galchenyuk is perhaps our most talented offensive forward and would love to see him with Max.

• Ozmodiar says:

You’re description of Bouni sounds a lot like Weise, actually.

Perhaps Oz, but I think Bournival could become a better scorer. Bournival did score a bit more consistently in Junior, but your analogy could end up being very accurate.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I agree Oz. I like Bournival, but the description below as a comparison to Wiese is I think pretty accurate. I cannot see Bournival in a traditional second line role, if he is beside Pleks, it is because Ellers line becomes the secondard scoring line over Pleks. If Plek’s line is the 2nd line, the Bournival won’t be on it, unless as a replacement for an injured player, or for a shift or two to bring some energy.

• shiram says:

Pleks has had the likes of Moen and Darche on his wing, having Bournival would be the same thing.

And if you number the lines, might as well take in account TOI, to me anyways, it’s what makes more sense.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think Shiram though we have a bit more forward depth now that Moen and/or Prust should not be in the top 6 currently. In saying that stranger things have happened

• shiram says:

Therrien does some weird things too.
            And sure we have depth, but not much scoring depth, or top forward depth.
            Unless some of the rookies really step it up that is.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Interesting idea.

Then you could put Sekac with Plekanec and Bournival, and have Eller-Gallagher-Parenteau as your second scoring line.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• shiram says:

I disagree with the premise that hockey’s global reach would ensure we don’t get a watered down product, especially if they add 4 teams.

Lesser player would just get larger roles and larger salaries.

Beyond that the piece does not say or bring anything new on the subject.

21. Hobie says:

So the 1st televised Habs game is a month tomorrow. The good old Quebec City Game against the Avalanche. I thought training camp might start the week of September 8th but according to a post below it starts at the end of the following week. Sigh. I guess I can survive another long week.

I see only about half of the preseason games are televised, according to canadiens.com. I love those games. Probably more than a bunch of the games in the December/January part of the regular season schedule. Looking forward to De La Rose, McCarron, Crisp and a bunch of our other prospects getting into some NHL action.

Officially 3 weeks until training camp starts!

22. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! Heading to Seattle next month and expect to check out a WHL game while I’m there.

23. Mavid ® says:

its coming..don’t forget we meet at the Costco in Gatineau..bring guns..oh and flamethrowers those will come in handy

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

24. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

25. rhino514 says:

Make no mmistake, the goal of the habs next season will be to finish top two in the conference.
    I feel this way because they will miss the much maligned Briere and Gionta in the playoffs (Gorges not so much).
    They basically are leaning on Parenteau along with one of the kids on defence to assert themselves and help the team to plus 105 points, thus assuring the team of a very winnable first round match up.
    But the loss of the vets will show as of the second round.
    I don´t put much heed into adding a guy like Malhotra; I admire him for coming back from his eye injury, but I don´t think he will have much of an effect on games…unless it comes down to a key faceoff in the dying minutes of game seven.
    It would be an enormous plus for the team if Prust is healthy next playoffs, though I see this as more and more unlikely.
    As I´ve mentioned before; guys like Eller and Bourque seem to perform better when only modest contributions are expected of them.
    The team is in a similar situation as last year; they need to add a sniper at some point to take the pressure off these guys and create more depth in the lineup. One of Andrighetto, Bournival, or Sekac should get about 30 games to prove themselves. They all bring interesting upside, though I think that the next crop of kids including De La Rose, Lehkonen, and Hudon is more exciting.
    I love Bournival and hopefully he can still play 40 games on the fourth line even if he loses the top nine battle.
    The interesting thing is that Ghettoblaster and the Czech are regarded as having more offensive upside, but it is exceedingly difficult to find a linemate for Plekanec; at this point the club has pretty much decidid that he is a shutdown centre, though I still bet he could score sixty points on some teams. Hence he doesn´t provide the best situation for for an offensively minded winger. Bournival, though, has a better chance to adapt to such a role than the other two.

• Cal says:

By trading Gorges and letting Gionta walk, Habs management has cleared a path for a young player to step into on both D and up front.
      Now, it’s up to Sekac and de la Rose and Bournival to win a spot in the top 9. I don’t think Bournival has the skill to be top 6, but if his shot ever approaches his speed he can do it. For now, Bournival is close to being guaranteed a spot on the 4th line.
      Plekanec doesn’t look to pass like a regular center, but he is the Habs shutdown guy that has played with almost every one and his numbers don’t change too much. We’d all like to see a 70 point season from him with 30G and 40 helpers. Against top scale competition, it isn’t too likely.

• Habfan10912 says:

It’s always informative to read your opinions Rhino. I’ve never been a huge fan of Gionta but that being said, I’m sure there are things that his veteran presence brought to the team that will be missed.

I still wonder (and hope) that a youngster, such as the ones Cal mentions above, will step in and at least replace the on ice Gionta. Certainly from a skill set level it appears possible.

Thanks again for posting. I enjoy reading your thoughts.

CHeers.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Let’s see if I have this right — we are +40 days away from any Habs hockey, and you have us losing in the 2nd round of next spring’s playoffs after a +105 point season?

What if we have a season ending injury to both PK and Markov? Do we make the playoffs, or are we looking at another top three pick?

• rhino514 says:

Of course this is all barring significant injuries to key players.
        I didn´t say they would lose in the second round, just that the veteran absence would show. It´s more likely that they would not have to face the best team in the conference in the second round,as they did this year, so I would in fact favour them again in the second round, but it would be tough.
        If they get a sniper at the deadline or one of the kids comes through, they stay healthy, and Markov doesn´t slow down too much, they have the talent and character to go pretty far once again. And yes if they stay fairly healthy I think they will top 100 points quite easily.

• 24 Cups says:

In terms of Malhotra, he has to be an upgrade on last year’s 4th line centre seeing that the team basically didn’t have one. Briere didn’t fit the job description and White failed to live up to Therrien’s standards.

Malhotra is coming up on 1000 games played, kills penalties and wins face-offs with aplomb. He also puts up decent numbers for a 4th line player (better than White ever did). He doesn’t always use his size to advantage but at least he’s still 6’2″/220. He should also be quite eager to please as he will be playing for another contract and the chance to extend his NHL career. His NHL experience and leadership should help fill the void left by the departed veterans.

A 4th line of Prust/MalhotraWiese/(Bournival/Moen) could be the best the Habs have iced since this site hit the web.

24 Cups

• rhino514 says:

There is definitely a glut of pretty decent fourth line players
        I still think Moen is too expensive to have as insurance and it would be great if they could find some way of getting rid of his contract.
        He didn´t do much in most of the games he was inserted into in the playoffs. The hit on Iginla was great, but nothing else.

26. Bash says:

Either way it’s a bitter pill to swallow. A pastilla by any other name would taste as sweet.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

27. rhino514 says:

Speaking of screwing up pronunciation, I live in Spain, and in the gold medal game, Toews was “Towers” throughout the whole game. He touched the puck quite a bit, too.
    It´s odd seeing a game telecast where the commentator knows little or nothing about hockey nor the players and just has to make it all up as they go along.
    The puck was referred to as either “disco” (disc), or even worse, often, as “pastilla” -the pill….because it looks like a giant pill. There is simply no word for puck in many languages.