Could Bulldogs’ future be in Laval?

Bulldogsweb

The plan to build a new 10,000 seat arena in Laval has sparked speculation that the Hamilton Bulldogs – the Canadiens’ American Hockey League farm club – could call the new $120-million rink their home after it is completed in 2015.

The Laval complex will also feature two other skating rinks, one Olympic-size with 2,500 seats, and another NHL-size sheet of ice with 250 seats.

You can read the report by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell on the new arena and the possibility of the Bulldogs calling it home by clicking here.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey recently went on a road trip with the Bulldogs to experience first-hand life in the minors. You can read his report by clicking here.

Team Canada will return home from the World Junior Hockey Championship in Ufa, Russia, without a medal after losing the bronze-medal game 6-5 in overtime to Russia on Saturday. The United States won the gold medal with a 3-1 win over Sweden.

For complete coverage of the world junior tournament, click here.

As the NHL lockout drags on, Postmedia News national sports columnist Bruce Arthur writes that without a legitimate “hill to die on” both sides are killing each other. Read his column by clicking here.

Cam Cole, the other national sports columnist for Postmedia News, is hoping that once the lockout ends fans don’t attend the first game of the season to show their frustration and anger with both sides.

Writes Cole: “… let the owners see what an empty house looks like, for a while. Let the players experience the sound of silence. Don’t weaken. Don’t be in a hurry to go back. Don’t be pathetic. Show them the same contempt they’ve shown for you.”

You can read Cole’s column by clicking here.

Stu Hackel of SI.com writes how the labour talks have turned “toxic”. Read his column by clicking here.

1. Lecoach says:

Unless you live in a really remote location in Canada you probably don’t need cable to get CBC…A simple attenna will do…But here’s another option…If these morons ever get back to playing, try hockeystreams.com…you can purchase by the game, by the week, by the month, or the whole season…if u have a good hi speed internet service the quality is surprisingly good>>> or you could stick with gamecentre but use a VPN with a usa based server… it will appear that your computer is in the states..no habs blackouts

2. Ron says:

Bulldogs and Monsters tied 1-1 end of 2nd period

3. HabFanSince72 says:

Vikes forced to start backup QB Joe Webb, who has attempted no passes this season.

Gonna get ugly.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

4. Mark C says:

What a nice goal by Gallagher. Looking at his passing option until the last second and then rips a nice low shot. Kid can play.

Man, did team Canada suck donkey balls or what? Just pathetic all around from coach to goalies to defense. Murphy – is Canada developing another MAB?

6. Ron says:

Bulldogs down 1-0 at end of 1st. Late period goal that resulted from a Blunden screw up in the offensive zone.

7. Ron says:

Hamilton Bulldogs are playing Lake Erie Monsters on TVAS if you have this station on your cable packages. Starting in a few mins.

8. doug19 says:

Yeah the NHL can settle now and catch the 2012 tax writeoffs and the World Junior Bubble!

9. doug19 says:

Well Galenchuk is certainly a threat offensively,he tied up two Canadians on the first goal in their game screening Suban. He is not much on the back check with a casual wave of his stick and not really skating in the way of anyone or with any speed going back.
    Colberg is a better checker but no ball of fire.I hope they stay healthy and keep developing as they both are promising! Good luck to them.

10. Bill says:

Thanks for the info on Gamecentre and RDS guys. Maybe I can’t ditch cable after all … which sucks, because I hate those guys.

Full Breezer 4 Life

11. commandant says:

Team Canada lost because they had 3 Bruins and No Habs.

Team USA won because they had 1 Hab and No Bruins.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

12. Bill says:

So hockey is coming back. I could say I don’t care and I won’t watch, but it would be a lie. Still love the Habs even if I hate Bettman and Jacobs and the NHL.

So a question: I’m ditching cable, and wondering if I should go with the NHL Gamecentre or RDS online? Anyone have any experience with these services and which do you recommend?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• New says:

Yeah, following the Canadiens is like being a smoker, tough to quit. I don’t think I’ll ever understand a business where you sign a contract and don’t provide the service but keep getting paid or you sign a contract to get the best employees then try and reduce the contracted amount. Would be like Toyota calling you up three years after you bought the car and telling you they’d decided you owed them another 10K because business was bad.

• commandant says:

Don’t be so sure that Hockey is Coming back Bill. It seems the only sources reporting that the lockout is over are all former teammates and former Hartford Whalers.

Seems some kind of inside joke with these guys and none of the other reliable media (ie Lebrun, Dreger, McKenzie, Lavoie, Stubbs,) are reporting a deal…. not yet anyway.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bill says:

I can sense it. Anyway I always assumed they would settle it in early January to protect the NHL’s new deal with NBC. Bettman’s an ass, easily the worst commissioner in sports with all the downtime he’s caused, but he’s not stupid enough to screw that up.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Hobie Hansen says:

I gave Gamecentre a whirl last year and was hoping to ditch my cable but anytime a Canadiens game was on TSN or CBC it would be blacked out.

Gamcentre is for “out of market” games but even in Ottawa or Calgary or anywhere in Canada, the Canadiens games are blacked out when available on TSN or CBC. The cable companies purposely black the games so people don’t cancel their cable.

• Mikey_39 says:

I purchased the NHL package last season because I moved away for school. Do yourself a favor and find a different alternative. It’s expensive, you don’t get playoffs, I found that a lot of the games were not offered in HD and you’ll always be watching opponent’s feeds and some commentators are unbelievably biased. Honestly, the NHL should be embarrassed about what they are offering for the price they’re asking.

• commandant says:

Agreed, go with RDS.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Mondou6 says:

I agree with Mikey, the NHL package is a joke, just like everything else associated with the NHL.

Every Habs game, you have to listen to the opposing feed of the game, which is torture. It’s rarely in HD.

Honestly, I almost prefer watching the pirated feeds of the games for free on my PC. You get HD quality, and the Habs’ feed of the game. The downside is it’s small.

Basically, CenterIce is a ripoff.

13. SmartDog says:

Totally unrelated to the Laval stadium (which would be AWESOME!).
    —-
    But I’d like to know if others have noticed something I’ve observed lately on TSN – and what you think of my theory about it….

Ever since the NHL hired that PR firm a couple of months ago (as a results of which they started rolling out Daly instead of Bettman who was off-the-charts hated), I’ve noticed that EVERY comment on TSN that blasts the league gets pounded with minus votes and everyone that blasts the players gets lots of thumbs up. I’m in online marketing and I was once in journalism and PR. It’s not a stretch at all that a PR firm would set up a few dozen bogus accounts on the major social media sports site just for the purposes of slanding perception of what the masses are saying or thinking.

Take a look at this TSN article for example. The league tries to pull a fast one in negotiations and yet it’s the players who get the majority of the thumbs down for speaking up about it? It’s ridiculous. It just doesn’t make sense. I’m sure this is being gamed.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

14. Bash says:

JF is right in the mark.

Canadian kids can be weeded out by age 10 based on size. Too may minor coaches with the Don Cherry mentality, systems approaches and thick skulls.

All this in spite of the current push for Long Term Athlete Development which bases programs on the science of physical maturation and accurately predicts ranges and rates of development.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

15. Habs64 says:

Training camps opening next Sat per sources on twitter.

16. jols101 says:

I wonder what many did for 5 years between 2005 and 2009. Canada won 5 straight gold medals. That is a long time. Little wonder about all the bitching and moaning about Canadian hockey, they got to get it in before that happens again.

17. HabFanSince72 says:

My one worry is that this arena could alter the character of Laval.

It’s really not your typical suburb, but an utterly charming little town with its own culture and history. In fact Laval reminds me a bit of Seville – it’s almost impossible, as you wander the lovely streets, not to wonder at the magic that must be hidden behind each driveway and in each shopping mall. It’s a place that makes you dream.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

18. Habilis says:

Question of the day:

Will Alex Galchenyuk have to change his final destination from Sarnia to Montreal tomorrow?

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

Note Bene British Columbia Habs Fans:

…Henri Richard signing autographs today @ Surrey Central Mall in Surrey, BC

…from 1 PM to 3 PM

20. Mavid says:

7m Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
    Are we going too far by saying a deal is close ? Yes I’ve been told. So before we start the celebration, lots of work to be done here.
    Details

21. Mavid says:

I have been stalking twitter all day..it does appear that they are very very close…

22. commandant says:

The Canadian Women’s U18 team wins World Junior Gold with an OT victory over the US squad.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

23. aj says:

It looks like somethings happening in New York (maybe, I doubt): http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412844

– If this face-to-face meeting with a mediator will pretty much hammer out a new CBA deal, then we’ll be seeing a 48-game season. Or, we’ll end up likely seeing the players suing the league individually if the disclaimer of interest will have another yea vote on all 780 players. Its now an either/or scenario at this point.

From what has transpired today, Its pretty obvious that Bettman and the league are threatened by what’s going to happen next if a deal won’t be in place. I’m not convinced that NHL are not threatened as claimed by what the PA will do next…

24. JF says:

The other thread contains some discussion of the junior game and of where Hockey Canada needs to improve. Chris in particular made some good points.

Aside from goaltending, which has been an obvious weakness in the last few years, I think North-American hockey, and Canadian hockey in particular, places too much emphasis on size and physicality. Things have reached the point where a kid who is less than six feet tall is described as small or under-sized, and this “fact” is given more weight than the skills he possesses. Smaller players have to over-achieve to make it into the NHL, while others are perhaps given larger roles than their skills warrant simply because of their size and physicality.

Then there is the creed of “finishing your check” and the way the guys calling a game go over the top whenever a player delivers a resounding hit, even if the result is to take himself as well as his opponent out of the play. I think there is too much emphasis on physicality at the expense of speed and skill. In international hockey especially, the result is often a parade to the penalty box, which is something we saw in every game Canada played in this tournament except the 4-1 victory over the Russians in the preliminary round. Discipline is a problem for the Canadian team every year, and I really think we need to look at how we prepare the kids and how we play the game. I was unimpressed by Steve Spott’s reaction to the suspension of Boone Jenner in the first exhibition game. I thought his criticisms of the officiating sent entirely the wrong message to his players; he should have had them focus on staying out of the box.

Another problem this year until the final game was the powerplay, which was anemic at best. It did get rolling eventually, and I guess that is one of the hurdles for a team made up of players who do not normally play together. However, the Americans were in the same position, and their powerplay was dominant.

Then there is being prepared for the game, and here I think one has to point the finger at the coaching staff. In three of the six games the Canadian team played, they were not ready to start the game. They were out of synch, defence was sloppy, the forwards were not sharp, and they found themselves on their heels almost immediately. The fact that they were able to come back twice against the Slovaks and win in a dominant fashion might actually have harmed them in that it might have made them over-confident.

And I think they were over-confident; I think Hockey Canada as a whole was over-confident. Ever since the NHL season did not start, we have been hearing how great Canada’s junior team was likely to be because we would have all our top teenage talent available. The kids heard it too, and at some level probably expected to at least battle for the Gold medal, certainly to win a medal of some colour. Yet, when the games counted the most, they were simply not ready to play.

• New says:

I think they were beaten by better “teams”. The kids are just as talented as the other players but they didn’t play together very well. Likely because the spots on the team were a given. The suspensions were deserved. The team that impressed me the most was the Slovaks. They gave it a real run until collapsing.

It was nice to see some good hockey even though the age differences made for some strange utilizations. Good on UFA for hosting and for guys like Trekiak for taking time to be there. Class acts.

• JF says:

Agree that they were beaten by better “teams.” I really think the coaching was not good enough this year, as suggested by the team’s not being ready to play in half of the six games they played.

The team that impressed me the most was the Swiss. They did not lose a single game in regulation, and showed themselves able to compete with countries that have long been recognized as hockey powers.

As it relates to Bulldogs, was my understanding from talking to someone here who knows Mr. Andlauer, part of his deal in becoming minority owner of Habs was also to own/run the Bulldogs. There is a vested interest in Hamilton beyond just a city with an arena to play in. Given that part of the Habs ownership owns the Dogs and currently lives/works in the Southern Ontario region. He is from Quebec, and could move them. But it isn’t as simple as Molson builds a rink and just decides to move them.

26. Mavid says:

I am not ashamed to say that the second hockey is back I am on it..get out of my way and my TV..I am pulling out all the Habs stuff that is stored away to..the placemats, throws, pillows, dolls..all of it and I will start wearing my T shirts too and my dog will have her Jersey on every game…

27. frontenac1 says:

So,I spend a great day at the Saloon with the lads yesterday,doing our NFL Playoff pool, many cocktails,telling lies,having some laughs,then I wake up to see Canada choked for the Bronze and I picked San Fran to go the distance with a 50 point tie breaker in the Super Bowl? Mojo,Mojo, where did you go Mojo?

28. habstrinifan says:

I think Seth Jones, particularly on this gold medal game, has improved his stature…. maybe more so than any other draft eligible or recently drafted player.

I also think a mistake was made not giving Dumba a spot on the team… especially since he was a returning player and seems to have leadership qualities and on-ice motivational drive. This team NEEDED an ON-ICE motivator badly. It’s like they all read the JM guide on “How Hockey is Hard Work”.

• commandant says:

Jones was the best 2013 draft eligible (as I reviewed many of them in my article today) for sure.

As for Dumba, he wasn’t a returning player, and he absolutely sucked in the tryout camp, so I don’t think cutting him was the wrong move. He should be on the team next year though.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• habstrinifan says:

My error! He was the LAST man cut from the team for the second year in a row. Obviously I bow to your immense knowledge re anything hockey and especially prospects.

My impression came from following his write-ups very closely around the draft. And I came away with the impression that he is better than the ‘sum of his parts’ as far as providing a leadership/motivational force on the ice.

There are many links re his career of course and I am sure you are aware of most. I just am posting this quick one which came up first and which showed that he is held in some esteem, and which also highlights his WJC-U18 captaincy and performance. It could be said that the same mulligan given to Subban after poor performances in the camps could have been given to Dumba when his better qualities were factored in.

I was surprised that he was cut.

• commandant says:

I guess the mulligans were given to Subban because far and away his pedigree and draft position as a goalie was the best in Canada… along with his Summer performance and his Subway Series performance.

Dumba had more peers among defencemen (guys like Murphy, Reinhart, Hamilton, Reinhart, and even cuts like Pouliot who were also high picks). D was a more competitive position than forward, especially among the primarily offensive minded D.

Dumba didn’t have the dominant summer and Super Series performance either.

Everything is obviously up for discussion and hindsight here, but I don’t think the selections on defence was a problem here.

That said, I really don’t like the way Spott used his defence in this tourney. Having Rielly and Murphy on the ice for the game winner against today in OT is exhibit A of his coaching mistakes.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

29. habstrinifan says:

Type of headline which seems excitingly logical at first read. But as someone pointed out Bulldogs may have to get out of cimmittments to Hamilton and there have been many re-incarnations of a HABS connected ‘minor’ level hockey in and around mtl which have all failed.

It still seems like a good idea though.

I don’t live in Montreal but I’m sure it’s a lot like other major cities in that there is a need for a 8000-10000 seat venue for concerts. The maga acts can fill the hockey rinks and ball fields (AC/DC) but there are lots of decent acts that could fill a smaller venue at decent ticket prices (Seger/Mellencamp). Might be a perfect fit for the market that is beyond the casino capacity but not quite up to the 20000 seat range.

31. commandant says:

Funny how Ms. Branswell seemed to miss that the Bulldogs recently signed a new 5 year lease with the City of Hamilton in December. Which of course is after Geoff Molson’s quotes from November.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

32. HabFab says:

Dave_Stubbs – Just spoke w/ #Habs Lars Eller; headed back to Mtl from JYP of Finland’s Sm-Liiga w/ #Bruins Peverley. Fingers crossed for #lockout end – 6 minutes ago

What an emotional roller coaster this could be :)

• habsfan0 says:

Well, at this time next week we’ll all be excited about the start of training camp,or commiserating that there won’t be any NHL hockey until October 2013 at the earliest.

33. Mikey_39 says:

Not worth it. I live in Albany. It happened twice where they blacked out a habs game and I didn’t have the channel to watch it. IT’s a farce