Cops to question Chara on Pacioretty hit

max

The Montreal police will meet with Bruins captain Zdeno Chara to question him about Chara’s March 8 actions at the Bell Centre which resulted in the Canadiens Max Pacioretty being concussed and breaking a vertebra.

The police have announced they intend to question Chara in the coming weeks – but they won’t say when or where they’ll do it.

Chara’s hit last March sidelined Max Pacioretty for the remainder of the season and initiated demands for a crackdown on hockey violence.

The police probe is reportedly nearing completion. A police spokesman says Chara is the final person they need to speak with to complete their investigation; after that, the Crown will decide whether to press charges.

Quebec’s director of criminal prosecutions ordered an investigation into the hit by Chara and police say there have been logistical issues in meeting with Chara because of the Bruins’ lengthy playoff run. But police spokesman Ian Lafreniere says the Boston Bruins have been extremely co-operative, having hired a Montreal lawyer to act as an intermediary.

Here’s the hit as it was shown on TSN….

…and here is how it was televised back to Boston….

…and Chara did get a major interference penalty and game misconduct but was not suspended.

1. Marc10 says:

Konopka, Fleischmann, Rupp, Talbot, Bergenheim, Jagr… and of course Wiz and Erhoff. There isn’t much left out there.

Losing Wiz and not signing much more than Emellin won’t exactly fill the fanbase with confidence. I’m curious to see what Pierre has in mind.

I see the Wings are not doing much either. But they’ve put out an offer for Jagr and it’s pretty clear they’re going to replace Rafalski. And they are year after year they ice a competitive team (despite playing in putrid Detroit…)

Time’s a ticking Pierre…

• Hobie Hansen says:

Not that they’d be as physical as I’d like but i think Markov, Subban, Gorges, Gill, Yemelin and either Hamrlik or Weber would actually be OK.

I’ll give him a chance to maybe prove me wrong for the first 10 games of the season but Spacek looks to me as if he can’t compete against the bigger faster players anymore.

Ultimately I’d like to see Montreal add another 2nd or 3rd line winger, plus a 4th liner and another good defenseman.

But if we go with what we’ve got on D we should be able to be average or above at that position.

• sally122 says:

I am a 28 years old doctor, mature and beautiful.and now I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Andromeda2002 on–s’e'ek’c'ou’ga’r.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!
        Do you think an offer sheet comes out for Stamkos? It sounds like the bolts and he are far apart as far as a contract. would a team burn 4 1st rds. for a franchise player who will likely tie up a lot of cap space?

2. G-Man says:

Pat Hickey’s article re: Hamrlik as mentor.

I am sorry, but almost $3mil to be a 3rd pairing Dman, especially with Spacek costing nearly $4? Too much money. Not physical enough. And another mention of Weber as 4th liner. Mildly put- frak that! How about getting a solid winger to play the 4th line and not some tiny tot Dman?

• issie74 says:

Such as Anthony Stewart,he is tough,can score a few goals and Craig Button (scout with Dallas &GM with Calgary)likes this player.
      Me thinks … this player would look good on a line with White and Moen.

size and grit,size and grit.

NorthTOHab

3. Neutral says:

you know as much as we put Gomez down as per his career stats he could be a 1st liner having said that he hasn’t shown it in Habs land or anywhere I don’t believe. it’s too bad because if he applied himself the way he could he’d probably put up 60 points a season. I still don’t think he’s that bad a player just overpaid and that’s not his fault anyone of us would accept the same contract.
    if we could get a real good center for the 2nd line, he’d be great on the 3rd line and lets forget about the contract what’s done is done. if he wouldn’t accept playing on the 3rd line let him go to hamilton big money or not. when you’re the GM or Coach you have to draw the line somewhere…..

4. mike3131 says:

Why do I have a gut feeling that we’re gonna waste $1.5-2.5 M towards signing JS Giguere as a backup?

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

5. Dintrox says:

Interesting article by Kypreos on Stamkos. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/06/28/kypreos_stamkos/

• Mike D says:

I could see the Flyers doing it (not saying they would, but they’d be at or near the top of my list of teams who might do that). Don’t think they have the cap room though unless they moved another big piece like Briere or Timonen or something.

- Honestly yours

6. RobertAlanFord says:

“Pens offer Jagr one-year deal; answer expected Wednesday” via tsn.
    can we please lay this to rest now?

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-

7. EricInStL says:

Montreal’s best will certainly go outside of MTL and expense EVERYTHING, heck they might even go to Foxwoods and get some of that Armand de Brignac and PARTY!!!!!!

Seriously, this is cheap publicity. End of story. It sucks it happened to a Canadien , but someone else is going to get it next year and everyone will say, Wow that’s too bad. Yup too bad.

8. shootdapuck says:

McGuire is an American! Born in New Joisey!

For some reason I assumed he was a Montreal homeboy!

His unbridled man-love for all US college and USHL players now becomes clearer.

If he would only take Milbury with him it would be a clean sweep!

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

9. Say Ash says:

Did it ever happen that a guy’s rights got traded for a pick and then the team ended up signing him anyway?

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Well in a way, Carolina did that with Corvo. They traded him at the deadline that a included a 2nd round pick for him from the Capitals but Washington didn’t decided to give him a contract offer and so July 7th i think, he signed back to Carolina.

But I don’t know if anyone trade rights for someone during the off season and signs him anyways on July 1st when the other team failed to sign him.

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• bob says:

I LIKE THIS

RClavel

10. Bugs says:

Got this from the St.Louie Dispatch: “Teams are eyeballing Canadiens center Scott Gomez, whose salary declines from $7.5 million to $5.5 million and $4.5 million over the next three years. But his carries a salary cap hit that not many teams can shoulder.”
    Symbolic breakdown: “Gomie may be on the move or maybe he may not be.”

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• JD_ says:

There’s no maybe quite like a definitive maybe, baby.

• JayBee says:

Instead of trading Gomez and not being able to replace him and writing off the season. Why not look for a winger to play with Cammy and Pleks…add some depth to the bottom 6 and resign Wiz?

• SnowManHabs85 says:

I think there’s other kind of value Gomez can bring to another team besides points. He brings leadership, he’s a veteran, and he sells jerseys.

Remember when after he got traded to Montreal on the pre-season? I went to one game and every I looked, there were Gomez jerseys, but there were still Koivu and Kovalez jerseys too.

Gomez was playing that night on the Bell Center and it made me wanted to buy a Gomez jersey just by seeing on the ice. His speed and his passing. But I wanted 1 year later and bought a Plekanec jersey instead.

• Bugs says:

I’ve never seen Gomie sell a jersey (the guy’s a horse for moolah, ain’t he?), not once, but I’ll take your word for it. Where, in the shop or out in the street? Days before games, weekends, or in the summer? How much does he charge? Straight-up items or knockoffs?
        Waitaminnit, are you SURE it was Scott Gomez? Lot of people look like him.
        You know that actor who gives control of the Entreprise to Kirk’s father beginning of last Star Trek movie who also played the boss of the Ten Rings terrorist group in Iron Man?
        He looks like Scott Gomez.
        Maybe it was him sellin the jerseys; food for thought, Snowey.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Hahaha, nice. I’ll drink what ever kool aid you’re drinking.

• issie74 says:

Mr.Bugs … I take that personally.I own two Gomez T -shirts and my grandson has a Gomez Jersey.

You should never Knock the Habs Jersey … no matter what the name on the back because that is the difference between the Habs and any other team (save TO.) Jersey sales.Big money.

NorthTOHab

• LA Loyalist says:

His mom bought a jersey – yeah, he made her pay for it. That’s the only one I’ve ever heard of.

What a stain on #11 he is.

11. Neutral says:

who cares about mcguire, lets put a team in montreal that can win a cup 18 years has been long enough. enough of the screwing around it’s time to get serious before another 18 years has gone by….

• Bugs says:

So maybe’s a good time to change your name then.
      You know, lead by example and whatnot?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• issie74 says:

No Mr Bugs, you don’t understand,it didn’t stop him from buying a Pacioretti Jersey when he was at the Bell Center,the more names continue to change on the back of the Jersey,the more money in the cash register.

NorthTOHab

• habstrinifan says:

Hi Neutral!

I havent read all the posts so I dont know why you are citing McGuire. If it is because you are fed up with the HIO community focus on poking fun at McGuire and Burke and the Bruins and everything or everyone who even questions the direction our team is heading.. and just wish that the powers that be STOP , as you put it, screwing around and realize its time to get serious before another 18 years would have gone by.. then I am one hundred percent approving of your remarks.

Time for all HABS FANS to insist that management put their efforts into high gear.

12. terrier92 says:

Here’s hoping Chara arrives for interview with Stanley Cup. Pathetic

Go Bruins

13. knuckle05 says:

The cops just want to meet a real life Stanley Cup Champion.

Bruins rule!

Going to roll right over you guys again next year for the repeat.

14. JD_ says:

Accordin’ to Hickey, the Habs have offered Hamr a one-year deal, which I’ve interpreted to be in the $2.5M-$3.0M range.

If this is at all accurate, Spacecake better be headed somewhere.

Same article mentions that although the Habs have managed to insure Marky, the coverage does not include his wonky knee. One has to presume the premium is competitive, because it would seem the biggest risk to Marky’s career, by a rink length, is his wonky knee.

• ed lopaz says:

on june 7th, jacques martin said this, and I quote:

““I think the one area where we wanted to get younger and quicker was on defence ”

I was around for all of the cups since the late 60′s.

Saying something like what Martin said on June 7th, and then offering Hamrlik a contract on June 28th makes no sense.

Even if we move Spacek, why take up 2.5 million of valuable Cap space on Hamrlik, and take away ice time from our blue chip young defenders??

We have enough veteran presence on the back end WITHOUT HAMRLIK OR SPACEK.

It is time to cut ties with Mr Hamrlik and let Yemelin and Weber have a shot.

• habstrinifan says:

Well said! Now look out for the pitchforks from the ‘virtuous fans’.

• JD_ says:

The reality is that at least one of the two is stickin’ around and possibly both. Any other outcome is not gonna happen and is therefore moot.

With that in mind, my preference is not only Hamr over Spacecake, but Hamr with a lower cap hit than Spacer’s.

• ed lopaz says:

I hear you,

and now that the offer has been made to Hamrlik you are probably right, which is very unfortunate.

I saw some very good things from Weber last season.

There were a few games in the middle of the season, when he started carrying the puck, skating the ice, and playing with real confidence.

I like this kid and I think he could become another Stephane Robidas type player- who we gave up on way too early!!

I have also heard that Yemelin plays a strong game, tough, and determined, and nasty.

• Mark C says:

The team needs numbers on D. Last year Montreal had 10 D who played more than 10 games, and 9 who played in 20 or more. Weber and Yemelin will get a lot of action, plus even if he is signed, it is highly likely that Hammer would be gone with Spacek at year’s end. I think we’re making way too big of a deal out of this. Outside of Nash, and maybes like Carle, and Diaz there isn’t a lot of help on the farm. None of this matter much until we see how Martin uses his players.

• mike3131 says:

Greg Pateryn…

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

15. showey47 says:

Boston apparently sent out an email offering kaberle’s negotiating rights according to darren dreger. Make a decision PG either sign the wiz or trade his rights.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Once again, how do we know PG hasn’t tried to trade his rights and there are no takers?

• probably because wizz is the premium defenceman available for this years july 1st

“no thanks, well pass on the porsche and settle for the kia”

just sayin

• JD_ says:

Although I’m loathe to wade into the Newsy cat-and-mouse crap, the reality that he’s perceived as a premium UFA does, in fact, make it a lot tougher for some GM to give up a pick or prospect in exchange for the right to find out Newsy wants the world and then some.

Newsy’s agent may also have made it clear his client intends to test the open market, thus handcuffin’ PG from dealin’ him in good faith.

Put another way, if one presumes PG’s just sittin’ on his effin’ hands on the Newsy file, then one also has to assume he’s mentally incapacitated.

With that in mind, the best course of action would be to give up on the whole Habs thing altogether because a mentally incapacitated GM is gonna make a real mess of things.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Nice to see there’s someone here who gets it.

• HabFanSince72 says:

“a mentally incapacitated GM is gonna make a real mess of things.”

I guess you haven’t heard the news out of Tronna.

This is their year.

Incapacitated GM and all.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

He’s not gonna sign a contract before he see’s what teams offer him after July 1st!!!!! why is that so hard for you guy’s to grasp!!! No GM is gonna trade a pick for a guy like Wiz when they are 99% sure he is gonna look at all the offers that come in.

• Mike D says:

I’m sure the same could be said for Ehrhoff. Why would a guy who just went to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals with a good team want to go to the Islanders?

Only in Fantasy Land, Habso, but whatever floats your boat.

- Honestly yours

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

You’re using Garth Snow as an example of what GM’s in the league should do??? wow. wake up.

• habstrinifan says:

OK _Habsoloutly_, let’s assume you are 100 percent right! And 99% of GM’s around the league are 99% sure that WIZ is gonna wait and look at all offers.

What would it cost for PG to have sent out a similar email?

And how would it have been a bad thing.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Dude, you’re missing my point. I agree, if PG decided not make the Wiz an offer, he should have shopped his rights around. All I’m saying is how does anyone here bashing PG know that he didn’t shop his rights around and no GM wanted to risk the pick?

• Mike D says:

Cuz it;s the only logical conclusion one can come to. Sure we don’t know if it’s a fact, but what else could realistically be the case?

Are you related to PG or something? I can’t understand why you’re defending him on this.

I don’t get on his case nearly as much as most on here and I actually think he’s made some good moves (IE Carey over Jaro), but this one regarding Wiz is just a flat out dumb mistake.

- Honestly yours

• LL says:

Unless he plans to sign Wiz and doesn’t need to trade his rights?

I’m one of those hoping. ;)

• Mike D says:

That may have been a possibility…… until it was announced that he sent Hamrlik a contract offer. That now removes any possibility that he intends to even try and sign Wiz.

- Honestly yours

• LL says:

Well there’s still nothing official on Hammer, but even so, maybe PG has something else up his sleeve. (I hope). We’ll know by Friday I guess. But if Gill, Hammer and Spacek are staying…..then I don’t get it.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

It’s the only logical conclusion? what a joke. go back to your armchair.

• Mike D says:

Armchair?! Go back to Fantasy Land….you know the same place where the Panthers sell out their home games and aren’t a team struggling financially like you keep telling us.

Instead of insulting someone, why not debate the point in question? You keep saying “what makes you think PG didn’t try to trade his rights but had no takers”. Let me ask you, what makes so confident that he did and had no takers? And why is this a logical conclusion for you based on the other facts about other players.

- Honestly yours

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

So PG tried to trade his rights, and no GM would bite due to the fact it’s pretty clear Wiz is gonna wait till July 1st isn’t a logical conclusion to you right? whatever. as for the Panther crap, please show where I ever said anything like that about the Panthers, otherwise you’re just a lying little troll.

• Mike D says:

Don’t mistake me for a troll or call me a liar, douchebag. Anyone who’s read my posts can clearly tell I’m a Habs fan and far from a troll, and I certainly don’t have the time to search HIO archived threads to find your posts about how Florida sells more tickets than we think and all that crap (but I wish I did so I could prove you wrong).

BTW, the same conclusion you drew for Wiz is also true for Ehrhoff. Gillis was smart enough to get SOMETHING for Ehrhoff and I’m sure Snow (even though it’s a concensus that he’s a horrible GM) is at least smart enough to realize him signing Ehrhoff is a long shot at best cuz his current team sucks and Ehrhoff just came from a team with a solid fan base, who won the Pres. trophy and came very close to winning the Stanley Cup. Chiarelli at least sent an email out oliciting offers for Kaberle. Why hasn’t PG done SOMETHING to try and get even a minor return for Wiz.

- Honestly yours

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

You’re an idiot. Go bother someone else you lying little troll.

• Mike D says:

So for the record then, are you admitting that the Panthers franchise is struggling and they have a hard time getting butts in the seats?

- Honestly yours

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

get a clue stupid. let me know when you’ve moved out of your mommies place then I might give a f*ck what you think. I’m still waiting for you to show me when I allegedlly said that about the Panthers. Lying sack of garbage troll.

• showey47 says:

I believe he was one of,if not the top scoring defenceman from anybody available in this years ufa crop despite playing half the season with the freakin islanders. I would think that would garner some serious interest. I’m hoping PG is working on something else which would free up the coin to allow us to keep him. If not,i find it really difficult to believe we can’t land a pick like the canucks did.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

the 29 other GM’s aren’t idiots like some of the posters here. they are probably aware that the Wiz is gonna use his great season to test the market. It would be the dumbest move ever giving up a draft pick for a guy you are 99% sure is gonna wait till July 1st before he signs anything. Bashing PG on this shows a complete lack of knowledge about how the game works.

• showey47 says:

Ehrhoff just had his greatest season ever(one point less then the wiz) and his rights were traded to the islanders. Guess there are some idiots who have a complete lack of knowledge about how the game works like us working in the nhl right habsoloutly? If PG tried and nobody would even offer a 7th rounder then whatever at least he tried. That’s all i’m asking for.

Trading players who are going to become ufa’s is nothing new. Hartnell and timonen were traded from nashville to philly and bouwmeester was traded to calgary from florida. Bryzgalov was also traded to philly from phoenix. Looks like there are more g.m.’s who are idiots and have no idea how the league works then we thought there were.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

ummm, ya dude, Garth Snow. He’s known currently as one of the worst GM’s in the NHL. and has Ehrhoff signed with him yet? uhhh no. so he may of completely wasted a pick right??? or am I wrong? All I’m saying is it’s a huge assumption to make that PG hasn’t offered his rights and there were just no takers. thats all. If you can prove PG decided not to make an offer to the wiz and then DIDN’T shop his rights, then I agree with you 100%, it was a huge mistake. But so far people are just assuming thats what happened.

• showey47 says:

If i’m the canucks do you think i care if the islanders wasted a pick? No,becasue no matter what happens i just picked up a draft pick. Besides he was traded like 3 hours ago,did you expect a signing tonight? Besides,if you actually read my orginal post i never said PG hasn’t been trying to trade the pick. I know he is trying because it was reported at the draft that he was listening for offers.

I don’t see what the issue is. Pacioretty obvious provoked Chara. The game before when he pushed him after that game winning goal. His refusal to fight then and there. Also. The night in question Pacioretty was dressed provocatively. I mean he was wearing that skimpy Canadiens uniform. And he was leaning over with his head going to the stanchion. The real issue is how that impact wasn’t any harder. It’s obvious that Chara even let up at the end. It’s pretty clear the Pacioretty was hoping to get the penalty call.

Pacioretty should worry lest Chara press charges himself. Maybe if enough Bruins fans call 911.