Cops to question Chara on Pacioretty hit

max

The Montreal police will meet with Bruins captain Zdeno Chara to question him about Chara’s March 8 actions at the Bell Centre which resulted in the Canadiens Max Pacioretty being concussed and breaking a vertebra.

Chara’s hit last March sidelined Max Pacioretty for the remainder of the season and initiated demands for a crackdown on hockey violence.

The police probe is reportedly nearing completion. A police spokesman says Chara is the final person they need to speak with to complete their investigation; after that, the Crown will decide whether to press charges.

Quebec’s director of criminal prosecutions ordered an investigation into the hit by Chara and police say there have been logistical issues in meeting with Chara because of the Bruins’ lengthy playoff run. But police spokesman Ian Lafreniere says the Boston Bruins have been extremely co-operative, having hired a Montreal lawyer to act as an intermediary.

Here’s the hit as it was shown on TSN….

…and here is how it was televised back to Boston….

…and Chara did get a major interference penalty and game misconduct but was not suspended.

1. Sal says:

What if the cops come to the same conclusion as Campbell and the cronys, “it was a hockey play”. That would REALLY SUCK,yes??!!

Sal from the Hammer

2. 1010 says:

Now how about Maclean, Cherry, Milbury, Stock, Galley and Healy heading over to the West Indies to cover some cricket. While they’re at it, TSN could send their other resident turd, Ray Ferraro, to any place that I don’t have to, even accidentally, see or hear anything that comes out of his cake hole ever again.
    There. Perfect. All set for next season.

GO HABS…

3. HabsFanMTL says:

Can montreal police get that 8 million back that scott gomez stole?????

4. Neutral says:

cops to question chara–joke of the year

5. Hobie Hansen says:

It’s pretty amazing how an entire country could turn on one broadcaster like they did to Pierre McGuire. I can see how people find him a little too in their face and whatnot but I feel a bit bad for the guy.

I’m GUESSING all the negative comments he started receiving from people calling or emailing TSN and people voicing their displeasure on sites like this one could have ran him out of town.

He put his heart and soul into every game he coached, broadcasted and probably every game he watched at home. The guy is in like 5 different cities a week or more calling hockey games.

Again, I’m guessing that he’s pretty heartbroken about packing
    his family up and leaving Montreal after people took his positive attitude towards everything about hockey the wrong way.

Good luck Pierre, I thought you were a good Montrealer!

• TomNickle says:

He has a positive attitude towards every team in the NHL but one. Can you guess which one it is?

• Say Ash says:

PG knows the answer.

• Aybara says:

That’s just false

• TomNickle says:

That’s your opinion, I shared my opinion. He bashed Tyler Biggs to no end just prior to the draft, Brian Burke selected him and all of a sudden he was the second coming of Milan Lucic.

He was Lars Eller’s biggest fan at the draft when the Blues took him, he’s a Hab and all of a sudden he’s not a top 6 player.

• Aybara says:

Has Eller shown he can be a top 6 player yet? No

TSN’s largest market is Toronto, I wouldn’t be surprised if the personalities there are told to be optimistic regarding their players.

While he is critical of the Habs, I don’t believe for a second that it is out of malice. If anything, he is so critical because Montreal is his favourite team.

• thats not the point, tom pointed out that mcguire was licking ellers scrote till he became a hab <— point

• TomNickle says:

If he’s overly critical of Montreal because the Habs are his favourite team then he isn’t doing his job. His job isn’t to hate on the Habs because he adored them as a child and young adult. His job is to provide analysis. Focusing on everything negative and nothing positive isn’t analysis. And taking the positive(1st round picks) and looking for the negative in them from the outset of their selection by the Habs isn’t his job either. His job is to analyze the good and the bad.

• Aybara says:

I dunno if you’ve ever heard him talk about Price or Subban, but he gushes over those two all the time. I find that many people on here focus on the negative that McGuire says and let that overwhelm the positive stuff that he frequently says about the Habs,

• TomNickle says:

And he never criticized Subban for the same things he praises Brad Marchand for?

• price? you mean the guy he slammed the habs for drafting instead of brule?

• Hobie Hansen says:

One thing I don’t like is that when people pour their heart and soul into something and people laugh at them for it. That’s all I’m saying…

Like when Bob Cole from CBC makes mistakes on the air and people trash the guy.

I’ve been watching him call games for my entire 30 plus years of watching hockey. He’s the nicest guy around and loves making people happy by doing the games and loves Canadians in general.

Maybe he should hang’em up but when people say he sucks and he’s an idiot for calling Gomez by wrong name, that;s just plain rude. Show a little respect is what I say.

• TomNickle says:

Comparing Bob Cole and Pierre McGuire won’t win you many votes Hobie. Cole has no malice in the play by play commentary he provides or analysis he gives. McGuire on the other hand publicly insults everything not Carey Price about the Habs.

He comes off as a very bitter man when evaluating the Habs. He lauds Toronto & Ottawa for their organizational depth and criticizes the Habs for a draft pick that was made nearly a decade ago. That draft pick happens to have three 20 goal seasons in the four seasons he’s played in the NHL. Why doesn’t he bring up draft busts like Brian Lee, Jiri Tlusty? He talks about David Fischer quite a bit. Why not them?

Because he’s pissy with the Habs. I don’t know why, some speculate it’s because he wasn’t interviewed twice now for their GM position, not that he has the qualifications in the first place.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I could be wrong Tom but I think you have a bee in your bonnet about McGuire because the NHL and Pierre McGuire are all about “SMASHMOUTH” hockey. And at the present time that’s the exact opposite of what the Canadiens are about.

The only time I really hear him criticize the Habs is about their size and toughness and everyone who knows anything about hockey knows he’s right!

I live in Ottawa now and was living in Calgary before that and McGuire did morning spots on the radio, live, in both cities. I seem to remember to him criticizing the Flames organization while I was there and last year on the radio here in Ottawa he didn’t paint a pretty picture either.

• TomNickle says:

Hobie I could care less what McGuire says about the Habs’ organizational needs because his opinion resonates with me about as much as Don Cherry’s does.

He loses credibility when he gushes over players like Eller and Leblanc until they become Habs and then paints the gloomy pictures where his paint has been tainted with ill will.

He’s a completely different person and analyst on the radio than he is on TSN as well. I often listen to him on Team990 where he is very commending when it comes to the Habs, he often goes on the TV the same night and rips them to shreds. You’d think he was running for office with the way he waffles back and forth.

If there are organizations that he analyzes fairly, it’s Calgary and Edmonton. I’ve only heard him say that their inability to get a compliment for Jarome Iginla has held them back and that in Edmonton’s case that MacTavish and Roloson got them to the Cup Finals and that Kevin Lowe mismanaged the team from there. Fair analysis.

But he doesn’t analyze this organization fairly. His claims go well beyond size. And I’m talking about his opinions of individual players that change depending on what jersey they have on and coaches that depend on which organization they’re representing.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I know you spend more time analyzing younger players than I do so I’ll take your word on him changing his tune once the become Habs.

And believe me, I know I’m one of the few that actually likes him.

I do tend to give people a second chance though and if i see a guy pouring all that emotion into broadcasting the game I love than I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

• TomNickle says:

I will never question the passion and enthusiasm that McGuire brings to work with him because I don’t see him off camera or at the office. I will question the root of his opinions. Everyone should.

• habstrinifan says:

And Bob Cole loves the Canadiens too especially when any one on the team shows any semblance of the firewagon hockey he grew up with from the HABS. I have heard him gush over P.K and Subban.

He is maybe getting forgetful and makes mistake sbut the criticism of him on this site is outrageous.

But then it is becoming de rigeur to place the blame for our team’s continuing difficulties on everyone else but the people who have been making the decisions.

EDIT! I meant P.K and Eller!

• Marc10 says:

I don’t think it’s amazing for a Habs fan to hate on McGuire. His over the top hyperbole on all matters relating to hockey and his negative bias towards all things Habs make hating the guy easy.

Bob Cole at least had the candour to admit he was a Toronto fan and didn’t like the Habs. He gets points for honesty, but we still hate him.

So no fan of the Canadiens should apologise for hating Pierre. He’s not a Montrealer. He sold out a long time ago when he started to sip the TSN-Toranna Cool-Aid. I look forward to the day when he has to watch our boys lift the cup.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• deuce6 says:

Actually, Bob Cole is a Newfie and he loves the Habs…Don’t know where you heard he was a Leafer and hates the Habs..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Marc10 says:

I seem to recall Cole admitting as much on a telecast (even though he respects the Canadiens for the way the organisation has treated former players and the like…)

But you’re welcome to troll through the evidence amassed online of his incredible Leaf bias… Senators fans hate him even more if that’s possible.

Needless to say, he’s now well passed his due date regardless…

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
          Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• habstrinifan says:

I was shocked at the statemment too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• HabFanSince72 says:

“I feel a bit bad for the guy. ”

Don’t. He does what almost half of Canadian males do: talk shite about hockey.

Only he gets paid for it.

6. Mike D says:

Canucks just traded Ehrhoff’s rights to the Islanders for a 4th round pick.

Now, if PG has no plans on signing Wiz, why can’t he do something along those lines? A 4th rounder is still better than nothing.

– Honestly yours

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

How do you know he hasn’t tried and there are no takers??

• Mike D says:

If VAN can get a 4th for Ehrhoff we should be able to get something similar for Wiz. Even more so now that Bieksa and Pitkanen and Markov are signed as these guys were the attractive UFA Dmen.

I hoped it was an indication PG was trying to re-sign him, but with an offer going to Hamr as was reported today, that obviously isn’t the case either.

– Honestly yours

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Maybe PG did shop around the Wiz’s rights and there were no takers.

• Mike D says:

C’mon Habso, that’s obviously not a likely conclusion given what just happened with Ehrhoff.

– Honestly yours

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

How do we know though? I don’t think it’s fair to start assuming things and calling out PG when we don’t know the full story. You know what they say about making assumptions right?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Garth Snow is an idiot.

7. TomNickle says:

Erhoff`s rights get traded to the Islanders for a fourth round pick. Aside from the humour that arises after Eklund steals from Bob McKenzie`s twitter account and posts the news as his own, I start to question our General Manager. Had he acted prior to today he might have gotten a 3rd or even a conditional second for Wisniewski`s rights. Now, he`ll be lucky to get a 4th rounder. Because the Islanders`4th rounder is like having anyone else`s 3rd rounder. Just my thoughts.

• Mike D says:

LOL – I had no idea you posted this when I posted mine. hahahaha

– Honestly yours

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I don’t doubt that some of PG’s seemingly genius moves (have there been any?) are probably dumb luck, but If Erhoff signs who is the best free agent Defenceman besides Wisniewski. It’s a gamble, but if Wiz looks like the only guy who’s going to make it to July 1st un-signed then maybe the market for his rights peaks on Thursday. I don’t think there’s any grand scheme of the sort, but it is possible.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• TomNickle says:

I can assure you that his value does not peak with less than 24 hours of exclusive negotiating rights.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Scarcity principle though. What about the scarcity principle? I think that needs to be considered. The scarcity principle that is.
          (Note* please disregard that fact that need is already satisfied)

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• TomNickle says:

There`s still Ian White, Tomas Kaberle and Wisniewski himself.

Not scarce. And certainly not when anybody can negotiate with any of them come Friday at noon.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

No, but in all seriousness waiting until Friday at noon is far less risky if Pitkanen, Bieksa, and Ehrhoff are all still available. If your choices are Wiz, Kaberle and Ian White then you might want to know where you stand before the gates open on Friday.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• LA Loyalist says:

Wisniewski was as close to genius as he’s gotten… but maybe it was dumb luck. And maybe it’s just plain dumb to not sign him.

I don’t really want to make a list here of the players we’ve let walk in the last few years while getting NOTHING for them. I’ll get REALLY PISSED if I do that (but someone else, calmer, is welcome to take a shot). :)

• LA Loyalist says:

Someone posted yesterday or earlier about the importance of Asset management, and I contributed to that also. I think it’s so important that I wish to reiterate the point.

Name a business that lets an asset walk for NOTHING?

You can debate the value, the depreciation, the shelf life, blah, blah of any given guy, but in the end you make a deal. Look at all the guys who we’ve lost for squat. And look at the VERY late picks who have come on as absolute studs (Markov, Halak, there are many examples of guys who were late bloomers or fell through the cracks). With low picks you at least have a shot, if your system is good, to come up with a guy like that. Otherwise you are guaranteed nothing.

The only argument is if you are dumping a Gomez and freeing up an opportunity (Cap space) that you can hopefully convert into something more valuable for the future than the original asset you had to dump to begin with.

That’s all. Kick it around. But it’s very disturbing to see Tanguay sign for millions, Max Lapierre today 2 mill, the list is long of guys who weren’t good enough for Mr. Happy but seem to be pretty damn valuable once they leave here.

Sorry to belabour the point, but I think it’s critical.

• Mark C says:

C’mon LA, all businesses let assets walk for nothing. Is there some MBA draft for companies that lose good employees, which I don’t know about?

Tanguay and Lappy? If Montreal signed a super-soft (non-male hockey player, Right?), 31 years old, with only one good season in the last four, for five years at $3.5M, you’d hate it, and rightfully so. Lappy signed for $1M a year. Based on 23 roster spots, and a cap for $64M, the average roster spots costs $2.78M. This contract proves that one team, and Max and his agent think he is worth less than an average player. A 26 year old signing a $1M contract is a sign he’s barely hanging on to an NHL career, not that he’s not good enough for Martin.

8. Habonic Plague says:

Long time reader, infrequent poster.

Gomez won`t be traded and I agree with some that there isn`t much out there to fill his assigned role of number 1 or 2 centre.

Also even though he added little last season, he was one of the guys to get in Chara`s face/torso when Patches was hit.

Also I am also on the pro-Jagr or Fleishmann (I think he may be available) bandwagon to play with Pleks and Cammy.

• Thank You for this post.
      My thoughts exactly: “One can believe one can get better.”

Quote: “I predict a big season from him, cause like most people out there no one likes to be consistently crap at their job. So I`m sure as seen in human nature he will bounce back and excel. The season after that may be another story.”

• LA Loyalist says:

Why on G*d’s green (occassionally) earth do you think Gomez will bounce back? Bounce back to what? New Jersey 4 years ago? Pride? Dignity?

If the doink had any freaking pride he would have come through in the playoffs last year. Gomez? Put a fork in him. He’s done.

As for Jagr, if the dollars are ok and the term is short, I agree, I think it’s a low risk move and buys our kids time. What other options can we afford? It’s fine to say get a young stud scorer… oh that it were so easy… which brings us to:

Flieschmann: my buddy is a maniac Caps fan, Fliesch is sick talented, but he’s not commending him to us. Another soft peripheral head case. Like we need that. These talented guys like SK, Pou, man, they just exist to break our hearts.

• not that i necessarilly disagree with you in regards to gomez but um, LA, last summer you were freaking out about price’s play (congrats btw on not having to make up stats to make your point)

so lets hope the “la loyalist never knows what hes talking about” jinx works for gomez as it did for price :)

• LA Loyalist says:

My larger point is that of course any one of these young guys can go either way (see “Doug Wickenheiser”), but when there is a pattern of us burning through talented kids like Latendresse, Pouliot, Sergei K… the list is shamefully long for the time frame and inevitably points to a systemic problem in management.

Don’t you think? It worries me greatly.

• “Just to have a clean historical record, I never questioned Price’s talent. I questioned his head, and how he was developed by us, which I still think was shameful.”

if you didnt question his talent then why did you drive every point home by posting false stats? to point out issues with “his head”?

“Habs management expected him to come on fast like Dryden and Roy, and they were wrong. Now? He’s great, thank god for that, I’m very happy, he’s one of the top young goalies in the league.”

welcome aboard the bandwagon, ive been here for a while, since the time he had accomplished everything outside of the nhl and had nothing else to learn in those realms, now having no mentor for him, yeah that was a bit questionable but in hindsight he got it out of his system without allowing people such as yourself, to get under his skin

“Gomez is a different situation as he’s not a kid, and seeming has no motivation to kill himself for us. I just think he’s a mercenary coaster at this point. I don’t think they compare at all.”

agreed, but this is where im hoping your tendency to be dead wrong will bring him luck

“Pouliot is arguably a better comparable, young, talented, head case… badly developed. Only with a sadder ending, though I hope he does well elsewhere.”

who drafted pouliot? not us! and look at where he was drafted… this isnt an issue of montreal being unable to handle prospects

“My larger point is that of course any one of these young guys can go either way (see “Doug Wickenheiser), but when there is a pattern of us burning through talented kids like Latendresse, Pouliot, Sergei K… the list is shamefully long for the time frame and inevitably points to a systemic problem in management.”

disagreed, i am glad this management got rid of every player you mentioned, well not douggie wick naturally

“Don’t you think? It worries me greatly.”

everything worries you you live in california for crissakes!

9. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

Whatever they do/don’t do, they should send the NHL the bill and if they don’t pay throw Bettman in jail.

• LA Loyalist says:

Oh I would open every bottle of Champagne I could find. Put him in a cell of shame with Bruce MacNall and Alan Eagleson and Conrad Black…

10. Clay says:

Kind of embarrassing that the police are going to question Chara – but also kind of embarrassing for the league that they have to.

If the league would have done their job in the first place this would not be at all necessary.

__________________________
    Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

11. (Scott Gomez traded) for …..Enough of Scotty Gomez.
    The Rocket is a defender of Mr Gomez.
    I believe Gomez will prove alot of people wrong in this city and this website.

12. Rainrocket16 says:

If the Habs sign Hammer then it is gonna be a boring summer. I see no major changes to the line up anyways. We will again lack size and maintain a very strong farm team with no chance of seeing any prospects prosper this season. Habs have got to make a move for a forward who is capable of being long term with us. We can afford it now with some extra cap space.

13. JohnBellyful says:

“The police have announced they intend to question Chara in the coming weeks – but they won’t say when or where they’ll do it.”

Why have they waited so long, you ask. The cops are putting together an air-tight case — starting with placing Chara at the scene of the crime, er, hockey play.

Day 95 of the investigation
    Cop 1: I got him using his credit card at a restaurant around the corner from the arena on the date in question.
    Cop 2: Bell Centre surveillance cameras show him entering the building at 5:45 p.m.
    Cop 3: Cabbie told me he dropped Chara off just a few minutes earlier.
    Cop 4: DNA tests on gum removed from waste basket in the visitors dressing room that night confirms his presence.
    Cop 5; Ushers picked his image out from a photo array of known and suspected criminals.
    Cop 6: Cellphone records showed he made several calls to a local shop that specializes in leg waxing. Interviews with staff indicate a man fitting Chara’s description was there March 8. They couldn’t really ID him because, as one put it, he was “too hideous to spend much time looking at his face, and I get headaches when I have to crane my neck.”
    Cop 7: The league has confirmed a Zdeno Chara plays for the Bruins who were scheduled to play the Canadiens that night, and the score sheet shows a Chara was dressed for the game.
    Cop 8: The referees said they remember seeing a big guy on the ice wearing black-and-gold.
    Police chief: Good work, boys. Looks like we’ve got enough to question him.
    Cop 1: Chief, he’s in another country.
    Cop 2: And he still has to take the Cup back home to show it off.
    Chief: And I’m on vacation for July. Someone pick up a schedule for 2011-12, find out when the Bruins are in town.
    One more thing, has anybody interviewed the stanchion?

• Bugs says:

Feh, circumstantial at best.
      We need physical evidence that ties him to the assault in question or an eyewitness ready to testify under oath to have seen him commit the crime.
      Til then, you got JACK. So stop wasting my time, Bellinski! Before I pull you off this case for GOOD!

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• JohnBellyful says:

Official response from Chief of Police:
        We will not have this investigation impugned — that’s right, I said impugned! — by amateurs who know as much about police work as they do about hockey. HIO posters are notorious for spreading rumours and smearing professionals. It’s true we haven’t any physical evidence as yet but I’m certain the $100 reward that’s been posted for any information that might assist the police in its investigation will elicit a treasure trove of leads we can pursue. Surely someone must have witnessed the incident.
        Irregardless — that’s right, I said irregardless! — I believe we have enough circumsubstantial evidence to warrant a sitdown with Mr. Chara.

• Bugs says:

You know the law as well as I do, Bellinski. Circumstantial doesn’t cut it.
          And you know that before I can issue any search warrant against his person, his residence or his accounts, you need to provide me with probable cause, blood on his clothing, sounds of a struggle emanating from his private property or unusual accounting methods, anything that can justify police intervention.
          Either bring me corroborative evidence linking your suspect to the crime or GET OUT OF MY OFFICE!
          I’ve had it up to HERE with your cowboy attitude, Bellinski!

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• JohnBellyful says:

Email from Det. Bernie Alton:

Sir, the Chief of Police has instructed me to issue a cease and desist order to put an end to your posing as a police officer. (Actually, it was a cease to exist order but even I know we don’t have that power.)
            If you insist on carrying on with this masquerade, we will have no choice but to lay a charge of obstructing justice. And we know what that can lead to, don’t we, Mr. Alistair Slimsy, assistant produce manager, Knott’s Grocers: unwanted publicity. (Yes, we’ve done a background check. And we’ve just started. We haven’t got around yet to going over your medical records we’ve downloaded.)
            Cease and desist. Or face the consequences. Don’t tempt us. You know we’re like a dog with a bone when we open a case.

• Aaron13 says:

Chara will say he was simply defending himself. Investigation over.

14. slamtherimtim says:

i think the police following through is a good thing to show the young punks playing minor hockey that if they do something along the same lines , they are not above the law , 99% of the kids dont make it and they need their brain

Just a show, Quebec prosecution dept. does not have the balls. This is just window dressing for a criminal act.!

16. Just read that Max Pacioretty sign a 2 year contract with the Habs.

Personnally, I think this is the stupidiest signing so far this off season. Why two years? He’s coming off a brutal head injury. I would of sign him for a year and see what happens theirafter. I tell you players are spoiled all to much

READ, RESEARCH AND WRITE ARTICLES ONLINE

17. jimmy shaker says:

Hammer is not impressed with the one year offer from PG…..HE’s looking for a 2 or 3 year deal. Please PG don’t give into this jabroni. Let’em walk away, better yet call him a taxi! Let Weber have a shot, or go after erhoff!

Shaker

• OneTimer says:

I agree, but if somehow PG can swing a deal trading Spacek, I would gladly take Hammer (for cheaper) as a 4-6 D. I’m REALLY hoping that’s what’s in the works here.

18. I have no doubt in my mind that if the Canadiens would have had Max in the lineup then the Bruins would not be Stanley Cup Champions right now. Chara will be hearing me when he comes to Winnipeg. In fact, I’ll have the entire arena chanting “Chara Sucks!”

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

19. showey47 says:

Why even bother,its over and done with. Everybody knows chara meant to push maxpac into the stanchion,everybody knows it wasn’t an accident. If you need anymore proof look where the puck is when the hit takes place. Its about 30 feet ahead in the bruins zone. Chara saw an oppurtunity to throw a cheap shot and did it.

But IMHO involving the police is just a waste of time and taxpayers money. All he is going to do when questioned by police is the same thing he did in front of the media which is to play dumb. He’s going to say he didn’t know where he was on the ice and wasn’t aware it was maxpac. Which we all know is a pile of steaming bullshit but he will just lie to the police like he did in front of the media cameras.

One of the very few times when i agreed with don cherry was when he talked about throwing an intentional head shot or any other cheapshot. When the cheapshot is made the guy who throws it doesn’t look back afterwards,which chara doesn’t do and neither did ference on halpern. Having played a high level of hockey in leagues with some real cement heads(google gary coupal) i can personally vouch that this is true.

I read down below about comparisons to the mcsorley hit on brashear. There is no comparison,marty had a stick in his hand and swung it like a weapon. There is proven intent to injure somebody. Chara did mean to use the stanchion but unless he actually admits it,there is no way to prove intent.
    I think its time to just let it go,nothing is going to happen to chara.

• of course nothing will happen to chara but i dont mind this trolling the d[ckhead a bit longer with this incident

i dont see it as a waste of resources, i see it as giving the cops something to do since when they arent busy killing bystanders they dont seem to be all that busy anywhoo :D

i made the mcsorley comparison but you are correct about determining culpability

the only reason i bring it up is to remind those who come off like the cops have never hhad involvement before

• christophor says:

“Why even bother… (350 words)”

20. HalifaxHabs says:

whoa whoa whoa, I never heard this before, but it’s from the Gomez article on fourthperiod

“However, Hamrlik told Montreal’s La Presse that he prefers to sign a contract “for two or three years,”

1) PG’s offer better only be 1 year.

2) If the above statements are true, then there’s a very real chance he won’t be back.

21. Bripro says:

I’m reading Tom’s alignment with the Habs in a div’n with the N.Y. teams, and the devils.
    But no Senators, or Leafs.
    I don’t have a problem with that alignment, but I guarantee you that the Leafs will. And I don’t think the league would go for it either.
    After all, if they keep playing the habs, they must figure that a winning formula will pay off sooner or later….

22. Newf_Habster says:

From Twitterland

MaxPacioretty67 Max Pacioretty
    Last comment on this: I hope Chara is NOT prosecuted. I have moved on from my incident and I hope everyone else can do the same.

MaxPacioretty67 Max Pacioretty
    All I am focused on is getting ready for next season, and will no longer comment on the past

So it is time to put an end on this matter!

23. gerrybell says:

funny draft story from a friend of mine who went to st. paul.

he is a big habs fan and started the “o-lay” cheer when Beaulieu was drafted. apparently he was the only one in the crowd doing the cheer as he was the only habs fan there and brave enough. the rest of the american’s around him said “why are you doing a soccer chant?” [additionally, those idiots from Minnesota would have pronounced it 'saccer' instead of soccer.]

after nathan was picked, my friend went up and started a conversation with him and got him to sign a jersey. he asked nat to sign ‘NHL draft 2011.” nat put ‘NHL draft 200′ and realized his mistake. he promised to get my friend another jersey but he said no. oh well, classy kid though.

g
    b

• Bugs says:

That’s so weird; I was at Santiago Bernabeu few years back for Real vs AS Roma and when I started the olé chant, they were like “What’s up with the hockey chant, jodido turista? Go back to Mtl, cabron!”
      Swear to gosh.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

24. Marc10 says:

Yes. I hope the prosecutor moves on this. Let Jacobs pay the bills. A Mtl area lawyer has the biz, even better. I hope it drags on for ages too before he loses his final appeal. Seeing Chara picking s••• up by the side of the road would be awesome. The League should have suspended the douche when they had the chance.

• habstrinifan says:

Despit my aversion to the continuation (in the press and probably detrimental to Max Pac’s peace of mind) of this sorry story, I couldnt help but laugh at the image of Chara picking up garbage atthe side of Montreal streets.

Funniest post today on the whole matter.

25. OneTimer says:

Ugh, what’s with the timing of this Chara/Pacioretty thing? We were just starting to get closure! For the record, I think Chara should have been suspended big time and/or rot in the lowest circle of hell, but bringing up this old wound now just makes Montreal look like a bunch of pussies. In the words of G.O.B., “come on”!

26. habs001 says:

2 things would be different if a hab player did the exact same thing to a bruin…1) there would have been a major incident between the two teams in that game and the game would probably get out of control 2) the hab player would be suspended for10 plus games or more

27. Mike D says:

Pitkanen re-ups with Carolina for 3 years @ 13.5mil per TSN.

The market value for the remaining offensive Dmen on July 1st is gonna be BIG!

– Honestly yours

• BsFanforLife says:

I have a slightly used Kaberle to sell, still plenty of tread left on the ol’ tires, can give you ok minutes, passes clean, only hitch in his giddy up is his inability to shoot at any point where a legitimate opportunity presents itself but otherwise in fine working order. Like to take a shot at an Ehrhoff or see Kampfer up with the team fulltime. Inquire within.

28. nek25plus says:

If the league had done what it needed to do which was suspend Chara and if Chara had come out publicly and apologized and The Bruins organization also addressed the situation in the same manner as lets say, the Penguins did when they responded to the Cooke hit… this would not still be in the forefront. And the Police would not be looking at it still.

A dangerous hit followed by an inability to govern and manage a situation and the league looks like fools.

Funny, it took the NFL moments to come up with a decisive, black and white head shot rule…

• BsFanforLife says:

I agree that Chara should have sat, I’m even cool with “Chara and Pacioretty spoke to each other via phone over the matter” and dont need a full blown apology. But your argument that the organization should have stepped up like the Penguins did is flawed. How many hits did it finally take before Shero and Bylsma said something? and unless Im mistaken and if I am I would love for someone to correct me, Mario is still sulking in the corner in his mansion after taking his puck and going home post Islanders debacle……

• soooooo

few more broken necks before the bruins speak out?

had it been the worse case (mm’s from paralyses or death) how many vegetables before the bruins speak out?

deaths? (ballpark figure would suffice…)

• OneTimer says:

What’s this, a B’s fan that’s not a total doucher? Welcome aboard pal…

• BsFanforLife says:

Shhh…… not so loud. Ive got a rep to defend. If people started to hear that there were bruins fans with common sense then everything starts to spiral out of control…..

• Trisomy 21 says:

I don’t believe it. I think this is a Habs fan in disguise. This Habs fan is just so nice that he wants to make our rivals look decent. That’s how great Habs fans are. Go us go

• nek25plus says:

Penguins realized that they needed to do what they did (ie Crosby)…and applaud them for doing so. Many more teams and players should step up and speak out on this issue (head shots). Time to stop name calling and definitely time to stop the “nobody talks rule” it’s old, like the current rules.

Applaud Patches for taking responsibility for his actions on Eaton…he says that he needs to be more careful and this is BEFORE Chara hits him…the year before. I’m sure the interview is on youtube…if you care to watch it

I’m not against just what Chara did…I’m against what they all do!

29. gerrybell says:

rumour of gomez and max pac to colorodo for stastny and picks.

getting rid of gomez – awesome. getting rid of max pac – stupid. this is why i think this will happen.

g
    b

30. LA Loyalist says:

Max Lapierre. New deal. 2 years, $2M, posted on TSN

Another bum that wasn’t good enough for JM. Makes a guy wonder, is all…

If he learned to play 82 games a year like he chooses to play about 10 times a year sure.

• davelecave says:

I’m just trying to forget this loser. Asks for a trade cause he wants more minutes, then accepts crap minutes in Anaheim and Vancouver.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Not sure I get the point. So the Habs should pursue any player that gets offered a contract elsewhere? Regardless of their performance?

Everyone here complained about sending him to Anaheim. Apparently they didn’t think much of him either since he was there less than 3 months. But its always JM and PG who are blind… Lapierre is crap. HE REQUESTED A TRADE ! He didnt like his playing time… guess what? He’s still a 4th liner when the Canucks are healthy.

• mrhabby says:

he played okay in the playoffs tailed off in the bruins final. i don’t really think he is missed all that much. there must be other players like him around.

31. warriorhockey says:

why is this on here and there is nothing on muller leaving the habs ??

• Bugs says:

Cuz Muller’s not the one deliberately jammed Pac-Man’s head into the stanchion. Can’t ask the cops to question HIM about it.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

32. TomNickle says:

On the whole NHL realignment thing, is it just me or does Nashville moving to the Eastern Conference not make the most sense?

Winnipeg moves West, Nasvhille comes East, problem solved.

Not the most difficult thing in the World.

Western Division – Vancouver, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose & Phoenix

Mid West Division – Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, Winnipeg & Dallas

Central Division – Minnesota, Detroit, St.Louis, Chicago & Columbus

North East – Montreal, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Boston Bruins & New Jersey Devils

Central Division – Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia

South Division – Washington, Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay and Nashville

• t1tan5 says:

Here’s the thing: Nashville is in the central time zone.

• TomNickle says:

Wow. Really? Never been there, always thought it was Eastern. Still makes the most sense in terms of realignment I would say.

Detroit is technically further East, would still prefer they put Detroit in our Conference. Would help to have another “Skill” team to play against Bruins and Flyers.

• TomNickle says:

I can’t see how that’s always the factor though. Dallas and Phoenix are in a division with SJ, LA and ANH due to their close proximity, not because they’re the furthest teams to the West. If that were the case, Vancouver would be in that division.

• davelecave says:

Yes, Nashville is in the Central Time Zone.
        Detroit and Columbus are in the Eastern, and apparently all 3 have requested a move to the Eastern Conference.

Several scenarios have been suggested. On sees the league split into two 15-team conferences, each with one 8 and and one 7-team division.

Another sees the league split into a 16-team conference and a 14-team conference.

I’m really against having conferences/divisions with a different number of teams though, it obviously gives an unfair advantage to teams in the smaller ones.

• BsFanforLife says:

It would be the easiest yes, the best for everyone? thats debatable.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Apparently there is a gentleman’s agreement that when realignment occurs, Detroit will be put back in the Eastern Conference. This agreement goes back a couple decades, they have been team players but I think they’ll push pretty hard to get what they want now.

Problem is both Columbus and Nashville are struggling expansion franchises, they also want in the East, better for TV time slots and natural rivalries. We all know how hard Gary is going to fight to protect his babies, he’s going to pinch and bite and spit and pull hair for them.

That’s why we have the proposal that has been leaked, with four unbalanced divisions.

Not a big problem with the proposal, as long as there is a CFL-type crossover if the 8th seed in the smaller conference is less deserving than the 9th team in the larger one.

———————————
      Let’s do something like this again: 1) Mike Cammalleri 2) Brian Gionta 3) Hall Gill

33. BKAK72 says:

If you are a HABS fan then it is impossible to watch this play w/out the following emotions:

#1: HATE for Chara
    #2: Immense disappointment at player retaliation (or lack thereof)
    #3: Bitterness that we were one goal away from eliminating this bastard (he owns the word)

Geez. Damn it.

— HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

• Hobie Hansen says:

There’s maybe a handful of guys on the planet that can stand in against Chara.

If Moen or, opps forget it, we had nobody else at the time, so ya, if Moen tried to retaliate he would have had his face smashed in…

So standing up to Chara is out of the question with anybody on this team and most of the planet.

i agree with #1 and #3 though!

• davelecave says:

The point is not winning the fight. It’s being willing to get in there and stand up for your teammate whether you can win or not.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree 100% but if anybody on our team stood up for Pacioretty they’d be in the hospital bed beside him.

Some guys are willing to risk that but not on this team. Or at least the time it happened. White might not mind missing the rest of the season to stand up for a teammate.

• LA Loyalist says:

Which is why we’re not winning, in a nutshell.

“Dude, I can’t fight. I might hurt my check writing hand.”

• Drew42 says:

Hobie… it all depends on your definition of standing up for each other… as I mentioned lower down in this thread, the first one in there going after Chara was none but Gomez and he even chases him around as the ref is trying to get in the way.

Fine, nobody tried to fight Chara, but at least he was there for his teammate… NOBODY would have gone after Chara for a fight if it happened on any other team.

_______________________________________________
            “I got to get the Swede, eh?” – Saku Koivu

• Timo says:

Well, if we still had Tom da Bomb I am sure he would gotten into it with Chara. He’d get killed, like he did most of the time, but it would be an honorable thing to do. Instead, Gomez, who was closest to Chara at the time, simply said a few words to him, which I am sure was absolutely terrifying to Chara. Probably haunts him to this day.

• LA Loyalist says:

Yeah. Doug Gilmore probably weighed 90 pounds with a rock in his pocket but man he would stand up to anyone. That’s what we want, le cour de lyon!!!

• Bugs says:

It’s actually “La Cour d’appel de Lyon”, but that probably isn’t what you meant.
            “Le coeur de lion”, I think, yes?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• issie74 says:

Only one guy could take on Chara … in the East was George Laraque.
          In the West … George Parros, maybe.

More to the point why can’t Chara just play hockey … he just gets mad if he is beaten by a little guy like Gio.
          He is a very angry man.

I was so happy he didn’t receive the Norris Trophy.

NorthTOHab

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think Chara was so surprised at what he had just done, at the enormity of it, and was so embarrassed and ashamed at the time, that if someone had fought with him he would have just clutched and grabbed and held on and tried to not make matters worse.

He looked like a kid who had just broken mom’s vase, thinking of how dad was going to give him the strap when he got home.

———————————

• OneTimer says:

Sorry Mr. Parakeet, I bleed bleu-blanc-rouge but I’m not on board with #2. That’s not how we roll. I’d rather keep cool and burn the %$#@ers with two goals on the ensuing power play.

34. Bugs says:

This might be givin Mtl a bad name but if he gets 38 months in a federal penitentiary, I won’t complain too much.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

35. homerbowen says:

Yes, Chara should have been penalized at the time, just sour grapes now.

Great opportunity to move Gomez and Spachek with teams needing to move up to cap floor. It must happen to move forward.

I still see us as a team of (deleted)and unless it is addressed I see more of our players visiting the hospital. Just watch out for our first two games this year on the road

36. Bill H says:

While the NHL seems to be taking steps to reduce concussion injuries, I am not convinced they will back up all the talk. I’ll wait to see a few months into the season. If the police want to charge Chara, that is fine by me. Maybe that will force the league to follow up all the talk.

Nice article on Auld, Mr. Stubbs.

I don’t get it. Why isn’t Auld being offered a new contract? He seems to work well with Price. He has the ability to step in after sitting on the bench for weeks and still perform well. He has a good W/L record, GAA, and SV%. And he won’t cost much. So who can they get that will fit better than Auld?

• RabidHabsFan says:

I would prefer that they wait until July 1st before they make an offer and see if they can sign UFA Marty Turco he made $1.3M last year playing for Chicago and could handle the load if Price got injured, I think he would be a better fit.

Mike Milbury is the Archie Bunker of Hockey.

37. marshx says:

After not seeing the hit for a few months and re-watching it there, I’m still in awe there was not supplemental discipline….

Tuesday tacos rule!

39. HarryI says:

Pathetic by the prosecutor. Giving Montreal a bad rep.

• TomNickle says:

Prosecutor hasn’t decided to file criminal charges to my knowledge. Until he or she makes that decision they haven’t had a hand in this ordeal at all.

• montreal has a bad wrap anywhoo, which ive learned to embrace…

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree it should not be in criminal court but I think it is the police showing that the NHL is not above the law. IMO chara meant to do it and should have been gone for the rest of the season. It was dirty.

By the league calling it a Hockey play you open yourself up to situations like this. This should not have happened and in my opinion should never be allowed to happen. Why should NHL players be above the law?

• Un Canadien errant says:

One of these days a player will sue the NHL for failing to provide it with a safe working environment.

The NHL can’t shield itself from reality. They are not a self-contained system, a blackbox with no inputs or effects on the real world. If the province of Quebec is going to build an arena for Peladeau (why isn’t he paying for the arena again?), then the NHL cannot pretend that its operations and rules and regs fall entirely within its own control, with no outside interference.

———————————

40. TomNickle says:

It would appear that the Habs feel Desharnais or Eller can move into top 6 duty.

Errhoff going to be UFA on July 1st.

• Mike D says:

I’d love to land him, maybe even more than Wiz. He will likely be cheaper, is better defensively, and is a LH shot which marky prefers for setting up the one-timer on the PP.

– Honestly yours

Lots of skills there indeed. No way Vancouver will be able to keep him now. Interesting to see if Detroit jumps after him first instead of the Wiz.

42. JayBee says:

I’d really like to move on. The hit was dirty, there was no suspension….lets move on.

43. Newf_Habster says:

Get it over and move on for next season!

I am sure that MaxPac wants to move on.

Belfour, Gilmour, Nieuwendyk, Mark Howe all in Hall of Fame.

45. J Haul says:

You know something needed to be done when even the NESN guys admit a case can be made for suspension. They’re normally over the moon with bias, defending anything a bruins player does.

I almost forgot how sickening that was.

46. habstrinifan says:

Now PG’s strategy becomes clear. He has heeded all the cries for someone to police the BIG BAD BRUINS, the PHILTY PHLIERS, the LOUTISH LEAFS,etc etc.

Our slow aging veteran D led by Hammrlik and Gill will be safe. Our smurf like forwards led by the doleful Gomez will never have to run the gauntlet of bullying behemoths.

Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Mine eyes hath seen the glory of the coming of our GRIT!

We have signed the whole damn DOWNTOWN PRECINCT!

I always had faith in PG to go out and get us our enforcers.

• this is about the city of montreal, not the team

• habstrinifan says:

Observation of a poster elsewhere in this thread!

“Maybe after the cops speak to Chara for the hit on Pacioretty, someone will speak to the cops for the innocent bystander they murdered last month.” This is the observation of a poster.

You are wrong cross-eyed, the above is about the city and the Chara/Pacioretty matter is about the team!

• observation of one of my posts in this thread!

“for those complaining that its a waste of resources, what are you offended that this is distracting the police from not cracking down on graffiti and littering?”

i fully agree our police are incompetent, but this police investigation is city mandated, not franchise

• punkster says:

Who called the police? Who initiated the police investigation?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HalifaxHabs says:

this post is so stupid I’m not even sure why I’m responding. I guess I just had to point out how incredibly stupid it is.

47. TomNickle says:

I’m asking very politely for the HIO community to watch this video and tell me if you think it’s

a) Suspension worthy
    b) As bad or worse as the Chara on Pacioretty play
    c) Not suspension worthy
    d) Not suspension worthy and not as bad as Chara on Pacioretty

Is another example of complete disrespect shown by Lucic and the Bruins. I Pick 10 Min. Major with automatic game misconduct. Then reviewed by League.

But I don’t think as bad as Chara, speed involved with Max hitting the Stanchion resulted in worse hit. However, if Lucic catches Moore slightly different Broken Jaw and Concussion.

• TommyB says:

a) Suspension worthy for sure. It was after all a crosscheck to the head, as well as “third man in”. Horton sure acted like he was about to take care of himself. But at the very least, Lucic should have been tossed from the game, with the incident reviewed by the league. (Was it? I don’t remember.)

b) I don’t think it was as bad as Chara on Pacioretty, no. (by that I mean the force of the hit, not the fact that Lucic is using a stick)

• Hobie Hansen says:

It’s pretty close. That will be a suspension this year for sure.

But remember, violence sells in the States and the league was probably loving that incident.

Notice the entire crowd standing and cheering?

Weird though, the NHL almost seems to bless these post whistle skirmish shots. Look at Marchand speedbagging Sedin! They treat these as a seperate part of the game almost. I mean a crosscheck to the face/head is a head shot and must be suspended.

• fofe84 says:

It is certainly suspension-worthy. The whistle is quite late, so though the puck is over the glass, Lucic’s contact occurs approximately concurrent to the whistle. Let’s count the offences: 1) High-sticking; 2) Cross-checking; 3) Interference and, assuming Lucic takes more than two strides to get there, 4) Charging. Moreover, it’s a focused targeting of Moore’s head. In my opinion, it is not as dangerous as Chara’s assault and therefore less offensive, but Lucic’s actions are wholly malicious and mandate severe punishment.

• punkster says:

Late hit (after the whistle), cross check, head shot, intent to injure. What’s the rule book say the call for those 4 should be on one play?

Hard to compare to the Char/Max hit besides the head shot and intent to injure.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yet another example of Horton acting tough because he has that baboon Lucic with him on the ice.

That whole scrum after the whistle is completely unnecessary and filled with infractions, and entirely run-of-the-mill in the NHL. The refs stand around like ineffectual WWF refs: “Hey, stop gouging his eyes out with that thing I didn’t see you pull out of your boot, or I’ll tell you to stop again!” They should be handing out minors and majors and unsportsmanlikes as if they were candy.

Complete intent to injure on Lucic’s part, had a couple of seconds to decide what he wanted to do once he got there. Decided on a cross-check to the head. Yet we’re seeing these so many time that we get desensitized to it and accept it as a semi-normal part of the game. If we saw this happen on the street what would we do? Some of us might intervene, hopefully we’d remember to get plate numbers, but the majority would, that’s right, CALL THE POLICE.

The whole idea that the players can police themselves if the instigator rule was removed is madness. We see Lucic cross-check Moore and beat up Brewer, but when Laraque challenges him he won’t fight. Horton is ready to take on Moore but turns tail when Moen is around. What we have in the NHL is a few proud warriors who take on an equal and worthy adversary, and a whole lot more Averys and Carcillos and Hortons who run around and choose their battles carefully.

I saw a video on the news last night, it showed 14 year old boys fighting in a lacrosse game, with one participant definitely being the aggressor and advancing on an unwilling participant. It’s complete madness that kids are being placed in an environment where they feel this is within the realm of normality. Don’t try to tell me that having dad yell and cheer when a fight erupts during the hockey game doesn’t have a profound effect on these adolescents and on society in general.

———————————

• Un Canadien errant says:

Tom, tell me my video referee wouldn’t help matters in a situation like this one.

———————————

48. byrneoNL says:

Frankly, I wish this would just go away. It’s no good for the game. If a player “guides” another player moving full speed into the boards, into a stanchion, into a goal post, into a cross bar, over the home team bench — whatever — either on purpose or by accident, it’s a dangerous play. PLayers run other players into goal posts all the time, or players go off balance or lost control cause they are moving full speed and suddenly they go flying into a post. Or stanchion. Directed or not, sure it can sometimes be a penalty if the hit was dirty. But the fact is Patches wouldn’t be hurt if that was just the normal boards/glass. Would you be calling for criminal charges if Patch was beating chara on a half break inside the slot and chara knocked him off balance and he ran into a goal post and got a concussion?

What happend sucks. The hit was late, and yea sure I think Chara knew Patch had no where to go at the moment of impact. But it’s too late by then and no planning went into it. it sucks, and better stanchion safety needs to be a priorty just like better goalpost safety was.

49. avatar_58 says:

Is anyone else a little annoyed that pretty much EVERY other team in the east that made the playoffs also managed to draft someone high up, due to trades and other nonsense?

Seems like it’s only the habs that make the playoffs, lose AND get shafted on draft pick order.

It’s just…..ARG. I wish we had a GM that knew how to play the league as well as our rivals. Well except Burke, we don’t need a Burke.

50. Dulljerk says:

Ridiculous horse crap. Pacioretty got nailed, that’s hockey. Next time keep your head up and defend yourself.

51. Gerry H says:

And in other news… The Fourth Period reporting that Shero is meeting with Jagr this afternoon and is about to offer a contract.

52. habstrinifan says:

Montreal.. centre of the HOCKEY WORLD…!

Les gendarmes refuse to move on and let this old old hockey matter just die it’s natural death.

And Le GM refuses to move on and let this old D-MAN just close his habs career.

We are becoming a laughing stock!

53. PeterD says:

The Chara hit was a late hit, violated the league rules on many levels (late hit, intererence, targeted the head), illegal, inexcusable, cowardly, disrespectful, dangerous and dirty…yes he should get charged with Criminal assault.

Even if he gets a conditional or full discharge of the charges I think the message needs to be sent to the NHL that this type of action on the ice and how the league mishandled it, is unsupportable by society at large…regardless of if it is supported or let slide within the league and giggled about by Cherry, Stock, Milbury and company on CBC.

54. TommyB says:

@ TomNickle…I hate this page format, you get a conversation running and quickly run out of reply space. Anyway….I’m not disagreeing with anything you said in your last response. What I don’t agree with, and never will, is the involvement of police or criminal courts to reign over the game of hockey. The NHL should be able to police itself. You can’t eliminate all incidents of this nature in a game such as hockey. These things are going to happen periodically. But if you ditch the instigator rule, there is a good chance that these things will happen less frequently. As it stands now, there is no accountability on the ice. And on the ice is where accountability should start. Just my opinion, Tom. Old school for sure, but I feel that is one thing wrong with the game today. Also has a lot to do with the players lack of respect for each other out there.

• “The NHL should be able to police itself.”

but it doesnt

so here we are

• Hobie Hansen says:

Tom always has to get the last word in so you quite often run out of room when replying to one of his comments.

• TomNickle says:

Anyone who bothers to tell me that there isn’t a favourtism toward teams and players who employ tactics that would be considered assault get pointed in the direction not of Pacioretty, but Dominic Moore. Milan Lucic assaulted him with a stick in a way that was not unlike McSorley’s. What’s worse is that he did it when Moore couldn’t see it coming and had no way of defending himself. It was one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever seen in my life let alone sports.

The NHL did nothing. Find me one person alive who doesn’t root for the Bruins who doesn’t think that offense should have resulted in a suspension and I’ll show you somebody who is a sociopath.

To put that into a clearer context, I witnessed a similar act not too many years ago where the result was an on ice bench clearing brawl followed by a twenty person fight in the parking lot of the arena.

Like you said, the league won’t do anything. If they won’t, somebody has to, and the players don’t have enough respect for each other to do it.

Irregardless of what the Police investigation results in, and whether or not they should be involved, Does this not hurt our reptuation within the “hallowed league offices” specifically in the area of discipline? We all saw how Colin Campbell could rule on anything anyhow he wanted. He was allowed to tell referees how to ref games involving his son etc….

Will this not get the league angry that police got involved in “their” game, and knowing how petty the NHL Head Office is, will they not hold a grudge and take it out on our Team, exactly how they did other games versus Boston?

This is my concern, I don’t trust Bettman and Co. to have the brains to seperate our team from Montreal’s Police Force.

• TomNickle says:

Your first word isn’t a word.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t know how many times i heard a person say: “oh lol, it’s cuz you’re a Montreal fan.”

Other fans, owners and NHL executives all think that the city of Montreal and their hockey team is basking in the glory of past success and that we think that we deserve special treatment.

it drives them crazy…

• TomNickle says:

I’m sure jealousy over historical dominance and the two markets you’re referring to, Boston and Toronto enjoy pounding their chests like Apes at every opportunity have nothing to do with the criticism you’re referring to.

Those markets don’t understand Montreal, and specifically why the Montreal Canadiens and their fans have put a focus on skill since their inception. Those markets feel that hockey is a no holds barred cage match fight to the death where only the barbarians survive.

But Tom, while I agree with you explanation, the NHL head office has shown the ability to protect “hockey guys” within their circle. I would love to see us win despite, however, I think this type of event hurts us more than helps.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree and i think the right way to ice a team is somewhere in the middle of what we have and what they believe.

I agree with skill first but we’ve always had a team that can tangle when the going gets rough and we currently do not.

Our skilled and smaller players are being left out to dry and that just doesn’t sit well with most people.

The Corsons, Keanes and Quintals of past Habs teams are probably watching in disgust when other teams walk allover us when the games turn physical.

• mrhabby says:

historical dominance ..its so freakin long ago Tom.if last year is any indication leaving the game to be called by the refs cannot be relied on . i would like to see habs start adopting more of cage match mentality for obvious reasons.i changed my mind when the bruins beat the crap out of the canadiens back in Feb u remember that game .

• TomNickle says:

I remember the Bruins not having the balls to fight Moen. They were really tough with Pyatt, Spacek and Hamrlik though.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Tom, Tom, Tom….

Chara, Lucic and Thornton and even McQuaid are a weight class above anyone on the Habs and would gladly fight Moen and laugh at the rest of the team.

Don’t even start with that.

• TomNickle says:

I’ll agree with you when one of their tougher players fights him.

56. MarkovRulez says:

So let me get this straight?

-All you hear on NHL draft day is SIZE and TOUGHNESS – SIZE and TOUGHNESS.

-“This player looks real good because he’s physical and has a real aggressive side to him. exactly what teams want!”

Montreal last year was accused of being the wimpiest team to compete in NHL history.

And all Mr. Gauthier does is sign a midget and offers a contract European senior citizen softy.

So depressing :-(

HELLO!!!

57. JayBee says:

Update on the Hamr front:

as per MAG twitter:

Hammer mulls over one year offer, but still hopes for a 2-3 year deal.

58. HabsRepresente says:

i hope chara gets imprisoned for next season
    but i cant wait to see pax play next season; would be disappointed if he doesn’t get a standing ovation

59. anotherbostonchampionship says:

New rule in the NHL next year: The 2011 Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins are not allowed to check Montreal Canadien players during games played in Montreal.

If any Bruin player checks a Canadien player, a call to 911 will be placed immediately!!!! ;^D

60. Chris F says:

Can’t wait to see Patches play again. He’s going to get a nice standing O, I hope.
    Laich signed a four year deal with the Caps worth 4.5/yr.
    16 goals last year.

61. JD_ says:

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime; and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders.

These are their stories.

*dun dun*

Crime scene blather on the Bell Centre ice endin’ with Det. Lennie Briscoe makin’ some hockey-related wisecrack.

Run with it. Run like the wind.

62. TommyB says:

@ Crosseyed_mofo……..first of all, McSorley had recieved a suspension from the NHL. Chara had not. Second, McSorley used what could be considered a weapon, his stick, across Brashear’s head. The two incidents are greatly different.

• TomNickle says:

If I shove a guy face first into a crossbar am I using a weapon?

And if you agree that the crossbar is used as a weapon in this scenario, I’d love to read what would make a metal post running vertically instead of horizontally any different.

• TommyB says:

Tom, I’m surprised to get a comment like the that from you considering the extent of your involvement in the game. Are you implying every hit, elbow, trip, crosscheck, you name it, could be considered punishable by the courts? To put it in the words of Andre Markov, it’s not chess we’re playing.

I don’t think the NHL was right in not suspending Chara. In fact I feel he should have recieved a lengthy suspension. But let’s leave hockey to hockey, and not involve the police or the courts.

• TomNickle says:

I’ve been involved with it long enough to know that changes need to be made to the game. And it starts at the top. A fight should not be accepted because it’s tradition, men used to fight Lions, see my point?

But fighting seems to be a necessity as long as the powers that be allow things like the Chara hit to take place without consequence.

And yes, if the NHL won’t step in when a player cross-checks another in the face, sends them head first into the boards or glass from behind or uses stanchions, crossbars or bench door frames as weapons, I am in favour of police taking action. Because that’s the only way that the league will change the game.

The game is too fast is the most overused justification and incorrect justification I’ve ever heard. Every player who steps foot onto the ice for an NHL game is there specifically because the game isn’t too fast for them. That includes the on ice officials.

• TommyB says:

Well Tom, I’m no Don Cherry. In fact, far from it. But if that is how you and others feel about a contact sport, then perhaps the contact should be taken out of the game completely. Where would the line be drawn? It’s bad enough that the league can’t figure out what is acceptable/unacceptable, can you imagine the courts?

• TomNickle says:

I don’t feel that contact should be taken out of the game at all. Far from it like you say. But the rationalizations that are coming from players about the game being too fast or infractions being “hockey plays” is the biggest load of garbage ever.

When you check a player within five feet of your net, you know the net is there. When you check a player by the boards, you’re aware of his body position and where you are on the ice. When you check a player by the bench, you know you’re at a bench. I’m not buying the I didn’t know where we were crap anymore, and neither are the players that care about the game like Joe Thornton, the Sedins and others who’ve spoken out. They’re telling the truth, they know the game isn’t too fast and that it’s a bs excuse.

Re: fighting, yes I think it should be gone. It’s time. Too many players have suffered mental illness and brain damage as a result of it. Far too many.

Just as a side note to this whole debate. American Football is the most physically demanding contact sport in the World and they don’t have problems with fighting or cheap shots that the NHL does because the players respect each other and don’t have weapons like crossbars, glass and boards to use.

A bigger ice surface would go a long way in helping the game.

• BsFanforLife says:

Tom – I would like to know how you would like these situations handled. Please dont take this as a confrontational question, I am legitimately interested in your take on this.

I do however disagree with your comment about American Football not having problems with cheapshots cause they still have bigtime problems with helmet to helmet contact on “defenseless recievers” going threw the slot or in other areas of the field but that is another discussion entirely….

• TomNickle says:

Banning the Bruins from the league, haha. All joking aside, a bigger ice surface(which won’t happen because of the costs) is the best start at a solution. That and suspending infractions appropriately, but that’s also unlikely to happen.

• BsFanforLife says:

Im actually one of the few bruins fans who would have been just fine with a couple game suspension. Personally, I have always been a proponent of a disciplinary committee. I understand (as a B’s fan recieving the “conspiracy theory” type comments) how bad it did look with Colin in power. But frankily, even before you get to that point I think the biggest issue is Colin is out of touch with the game today. I am not a guy who thinks fighting should be removed from the game but this IS a stronger, faster game than when he was rinkside. “Hockey plays” cant really cut it anymore if for no other reason than concussions, while always around, are actually being spoken about in a much different manner and player safety should be more at the forefront. Discipline needs to be done by a panel so as not to have the appearance of favortism (It’ll be interesting to see what happens the first time someone in a Winged Wheel has to talk to Shanny). It will foster more of a level playing surface and hopefully bring about more consistant discipline and be cheaper than widening every rink.

That and at the next CBA get rid of this stupid $2500 fine cap. If suspensions dont work hitting the wallet will open eyes.

• chara not receiving a suspension is nothing to hang your hat on considering the LAYERS of bs resulting in that decision

and there is an argument to be made that chara’s hit was premeditated in a way that mcsorley’s hit wasnt

violent act doesnt only involve the stick

63. anotherbostonchampionship says:

The Canadien players must be so ashamed to be part of this!!! LOL!!!

Zdeno Chara, the Captain of the 2011 Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins, should walk into the meeting holding the Stanley Cup…..place it in front of the Montreal police……greet them with a HUGE smile…..and simply say “any questions???” LOL!!!! ;^D

Congratulations to the 2011 Stanley Cup Champions – The Big, Bad, Boston Bruins!!!!!!!!! Led by Captain Zdeno Chara!!!!!

Better luck next year Montreal!!!! ;^D

64. Habfan10912 says:

Maybe Chara will pull a Clemens and lie under oath so they can nail him.

65. mrhabby says:

stupid people complaining to cops ..cops have to do what they get paid for…

66. awesomerino says:

Cool! Maybe after the cops speak to Chara for the hit on Pacioretty, someone will speak to the cops for the innocent bystander they murdered last month.

67. i dig this for the lulz of it all, for those complaining that its a waste of resources, what are you offended that this is distracting the police from not cracking down on graffiti and littering?

68. SmartDog says:

JEBUS!!!! I facked up.

I should be workin’ anyway. Hey you too!! Get back to work!!

69. Hobie Hansen says:

The cops should interview the thousand or so players who have checked other players into that area as well I guess?

70. PeterStone says:

he should’ve been suspended. Anyways, thats was then. good thing is MaxPac is ok. These things need to be taken care of on the ice and nowhere else.

• RobertAlanFord says:

He’s fine and in even better shape now. He’ll have his revenge by putting an embarrassing amount of pucks in their net, and when that happens, we’ll have a whole different perspective on the outcome and the Habs will have handled it with class.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-

71. Drew42 says:

At the risk of stirring the pot on Gomez… I don’t know if anyone noticed who the first Habs to go after Chara was…. that’s right, its Gomez.
    I remember people here complaining that the Habs players never go after opposing players that take liberties/cheapshot our players… just something to think about…

_______________________________________________
    “I got to get the Swede, eh?” – Saku Koivu

72. RobertAlanFord says:

LEAVE IT ALONE ALREADY!!!!!

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-

73. TommyB says:

Regardless of of which side of the fence you stand on, when discussing the Chara hit on Pacioretty, this news is absolutely stupid!

• shiram says:

People complained to the police, so the police had to open a case, and now they are nearing closing that case. They are merely following procedure.

• RobertAlanFord says:

Yup. Still our tax dollars though.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-

• TommyB says:

Thanks for the history lesson. It’s still stupid. So some stupid people complained to the police and so they had to open a case. What did these people who complained to the police think they would accomplish? And at what point do you call a hockey incident reviewable by the police or not? A waste of time and resources.

• mcsorley was found guilty in a court of law and brashear wasnt hurt nearly as bad as patches, just sayin

• TommyB says:

Since this place is full of history lessons today, please tell me what McSorley’s sentence was? I forget.

“On October 4, 2000, a jury found McSorley guilty of assault with a weapon for his attack on Brashear. He was sentenced to 18 months probation. The trial was the first for an on-ice attack by an NHL player since 1988.

After his assault conviction his NHL suspension was extended to one full year (through February 21, 2001).[1] McSorley would never play in another NHL game.”

• shiram says:

I don’t make the laws of investigation procedure protocol…
          The people calling police most likely complained they had witnessed assault or battery or something like that.
          As for the rest, well I won’t defend the people that called the police, I can’t speak for their motivations either.

But someone got gravely hurt, and if it had not been on a nhl ice rink, would it have been ok to call the police?

74. SmartDog says:

Chara should be behind bars. Jail or zoo, take your pick.

75. Can’t see jagr in a Habs jersey, but if PG and staff feel that he can contribute in some way to the Habs offence, who am I to stop them.

76. What? Pierre McGuire leaving TSN.
    Are u serious

77. Say Ash says:

I think he’s still gonna do the Juniors.

78. LA Loyalist says:

The Moore/Bertuzzi civil case is STILL in court, for g*ds sake. If we have to look to the judicial system, either in the US or Canada, to clean up the NHL, then we are in deep you know what.

79. Mike D says:

He should be arrested for that.

– Honestly yours

80. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Habs shopping around Gomez praying someone takes your “marquee player” off their hands. Go figure huh?

81. You have issues Habsoloutly. But I give your credit for finding this story on the net.

82. _Habsoloutly_ says:

You think Gomez is a “marquee player” and you say I have issues???
    hahahahahahahahahhahahahahaa, thanks for the laugh.

83. Say Ash says:

Cops too busy with Chara.

84. mike3131 says:

You never know… with management that would even offer Hamrlik a contract when we already have Spacek and Gill, you never know. My disappointed/sarcastic tone obviously didn’t come across.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

85. OneTimer says:

Habs + Stamkos = plan the parade. Drool. Is it wrong that I’m getting aroused?