Indestructible Pacioretty skates with Subban in Brossard

max-pk

Canadiens’ Max Pacioretty watches from the bench as teammate P.K. Subban works out Thursday in Brossard.
John Kenney/The Gazette

The Canadiens had an day off Thursday following Wednesday night’s 5-1 loss to the Senators in Ottawa.

However, P.K. Subban skated in Brossard at noon Thursday with strength and conditioning coach Pierre Allard as he prepares for his first official practice with the team Friday since signing a new two-year contract on Monday. Also on the ice with Subban was Max Pacioretty, who seems to be making a quick recovery from an emergency appendectomy last weekend.

Pacioretty was admitted to Montreal General Hospital Saturday evening to undergo the emergency surgery and was back home by noon Sunday, his recovery already nicely underway. His early prognosis from the Canadiens put him out of the lineup for three to four weeks.

By text message to The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs, following his skate, Pacioretty said: “I’ve got to do whatever it takes to come back as soon as possible. I have to get on the ice as much as possible. I feel better every day but I can’t tell when I will be back playing.”

In fact, Pacioretty was back at the team’s Brossard training facility this past Monday, one day after having been discharged from the Montreal General.

We should find out at Friday’s practice, which starts at 11 a.m. in Brossard, if Subban will make his season debut this weekend when the Canadiens face the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday and the Senators on Sunday. Both games at the Bell Centre start at 2 p.m.

The main feature in this week’s Hockey Inside/Out section published in Thursday’s Gazette focused on Kevin Gilmore, the Canadiens’ executive vice-president and chief operating officer. He is the main behind the “Raise the Torch” branding this year and the opening-night ceremony at the Bell Centre as well as the new 24CH reality series on RDS.

Gilmore lights Habs torch, by Brenda Branswell

With Subban contract, both sides win, by Pat Hickey

Subban sideshow irked teammates, by Wayne Scanlan of Postmedia news

‘I have to learn to shut up': Ryan White, by Pat Hickey

Plekanec says Habs buying into Therrien’s system, by Dave Stubbs

1. Galchenyuk fever is going crazy tonight. I wanted this jersey but a few others want it more than me…..http://auction.nhl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2799051&prmenbr=12717464&aunbr=2799051

Sigh, maybe I can win the Gibson instead.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

2. Bill says:

Ugh, I hate that Grabovski to this day.

Full Breezer 4 Life

3. frontenac1 says:

3Sabres tie it up!

4. jols101 says:

Thomas Vanek – What a hockey player. Unreal.

5. frontenac1 says:

Just seeing double amigo. The future is frightening.

6. Danno says:

Lurch and his ugly assistant two minutes each

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

7. piper says:

Had to switch to the Pens Rangers. Couldnt listen to that Edwards any longer.

8. frontenac1 says:

Now its 3-1. Bruins.Sorry Amigos, watching 4 games and drinking some fine Single Malt.s

9. frontenac1 says:

The Rat scores….2–1 Bruins..

10. frontenac1 says:

The Rat scores….3-1 Bruins..

11. Bill says:

Washington scores on the Power Play, they’d better prepare for an onslaught of penalties.

Full Breezer 4 Life

12. Danno says:

Buck Fruins

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

13. frontenac1 says:

Vanick with a Rocket in the slot .2-1 Sabres.

14. jols101 says:

John Scott – what a beast. Demolished Thorton.

Hope he goes Chara and does the same to him. A little indirect retribution for breaking Patches neck. Still pissed about that.

What a beauty by Vanek.

15. frontenac1 says:

SThornton is out for tonight. Scott really kicked his arse.

• Bill says:

This is why so much fighting in the NHL is stupid. A year ago, Lucik runs Miller (and of course the NHL is fine with it). So as retribution, a year later, John Scott punches out Shawn Thornton.

Yeah, that’ll teach Lucik a lesson.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Ron says:

Would love to see him get Lucic in the corner and not let him run and play havoc with his face..

16. Ron says:

Scott knocked the crap out of Thorton, out for the rest of game..suppose he is concussed ?

17. Sportfan says:

Lol watching a free center ice game Jactes vs. Blues and there intermission report is about their new Jumbotron!!! What the heck is that, thats a really random story to have are they that bored?

18. jedimyrmidon says:

Wow, surprise surprise Wsh has a ton of penalties in the first to let the Leafs back into it.

19. Dunboyne Mike says:

(Yikes, mods! Swift summary justice, Old Testament style. Is there a way back in for someone like that? If they’ve learnt a lesson?)

20. Mattyleg says:

Don’t have Centre Ice.
    Which is fine.

So I’ve got two options:
    NYR-PIT
    or
    TOR-WSH

What do you reckon?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

21. commandant says:

Oh the irony, Jack Edwards is crying that John Scott is an unskilled fighter, and can’t play hockey, and beat up poor Shawn Thornton

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

22. punkster says:

Awesome…Sabres at Bruins…on the last free night of NHL Center Ice…NESN broadcast with Jack Edwards…I feel a rage fueled aneurysm coming on!!!

***SUBBANG BABY!!!***

23. Bill says:

@Ed Lopaz
    I was a lifelong Expos fan and followed them as closely as the Habs forever. Lost my love for baseball after the strike that cost the Expos what I believe would have been a championship. Haven’t watched a ball game since the Expos folded. It would be great to have baseball back in Montreal but I can’t see it happening :(

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I’m with you Bill. The Expos leaving broke my heart. I still believe since we had the best record in baseball following the strike, the organization should have declared themselves World Champions and had a parade. The fans deserved at least that. I’m not sure if I’m serious or not. Heh.

• Marc10 says:

Ditto. I put in the hard yards only to have my heart ripped out and stamped on. That 94 team was stacked from top to bottom. We had been a bridesmaid for so long to the Pirates and the Braves… and this was our time.

I have never watched a game since. :( :(

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Exact same.
      We had a low ceiling in our basement — I literally put my head through the plaster when Gary hit his second HR in the All-Star Game.
      Bill, I noted your Adorno reference yesterday and added Baudrillard at an apposite moment on an earlier page of this thread. I’m not proud of it, but there you go. Stuff happens.

• ABHabsfan says:

Same here, Bill. Used to watch every game or listen to them on the radio when I was a kid. “Jim Van Horne along with Duke Snider” That ’94 team was outstanding, I still believe in the conspiracy theory that MLB would not allow another Cdn WS Champ so Fehr killed it with the strike. At least they were acknowledged as the best team by picking last in the ’95 draft.
      Haven’t watched a game since the ‘Spos left. Can’t bring myself to cheer for the Jays

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

24. CCL says:

To win a stanley cup in the NHL today. your team pretty much gotta be big tough and able to score. you can get away with a couple of smurfs. but that’s all.

the habs have been good to watch this year so far but I don’t think over the long stretch they’ll continue. other teams in the east will improve and I don’t know where it will leave the Habs

It’s possible they could make the playoffs. it’s only early yet.

25. frontenac1 says:

Oh ye of little faith. C”mon guys! Les Boys will be fine.Mike and Marc will get them going for a fun ride. We will make the playoffs AND surprise when we get there.The Mojo is just starting.Saludos!

26. Sean Bonjovi says:

I googled “wickedwelder” and came up with this

:)!

27. Marc10 says:

Wow. Awesome news. Is this guy human?

In other news… Spezza is out for two months. That might make the next encounter with the Sens more interesting.

28. JF says:

Despite our good start to the season, it’s looking as though we’ll either miss the playoffs or find ourselves fighting for one of the last couple of spots. We’re in fifth at the moment, but it’s hard not to see both the Penguins and Rangers jumping over us easily. Then there’s Buffalo, who are bound to get better, and Carolina, with whom Kirk Muller did a great job in the second half of last season. The Capitals and Flyers are habitual playoff teams; however, the Caps seem to be searching for their identity, while the Flyers, aside from their usual questionable goaltending, have problems on defence and with injuries. But if those two teams get going, we could well find ourselves on the outside looking in.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think that’s an honest take. But as a fan we hope, no?

———————————–

• Danno says:

You never know. Patches is coming back and so is PK. The new system works well when executed with discipline. Price has had a solid start. I remain hopeful. But yes, the big tests are coming up…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

PK Subban. Eller vs. DD. The merits of Tanking versus the pitfalls of finishing 9th every season. Halak/Price. Line combos. Fantasy trades. All food for fodder. None of these issues affect me. But if you want to really discuss a subject that gets my blood boiling…

I just read an article at Cracked.com titled The 5 Most Insane Teams in the History of Sports

At #4 we have Las Vegas Posse Proves Why Major Leagues Shun Vegas

Some of you may remember when the CFL expanded into non-traditional markets AKA the USA. Some of you might even remember the Las Vegas Posse.

So WTF is Bettman thinking? His whole Phoenix maneuver was IMMHO with the sole intent purpose of putting an eventual franchise in Las Vegas. Are you freakin’ kidding me!!! Obviously with the fiasco going on in Arizona talk of a team in Nevada is only happening behind closed doors but just the simple fact that such a scenario was even envisioned is enough to circle the wagons for a long a protracted battle against Gary Bettmonaparte. It’s like the NHL used to be the Roman Republic and now that the Rubicon has been crossed it is the Roman Empire with Little Gary as its first Emperor. Meanwhile his Ref Syndicate is destroying the game with arbitrary calls as opposed to arbiter ones.

To even consider Las Vegas as a city to award an NHL franchise boggles the mind.

30. HabFanSince72 says:

Agreed.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

31. Dunboyne Mike says:

Man, that second-favourite-Canadian-team poll is killing me. Can anyone who picked Calgary please state their year of birth? Because no one who remembers Lanny MacDonald skating around the Forum with the Cup in 1989 could pick them.

• punkster says:

1951

***SUBBANG BABY!!!***

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Go on!

Born in Atlanta?
        Have a thing for rodeo?
        NONE of the others was tickable?!!

Go on!

• punkster says:

Ready? Grew up a Loaf fan, finally dropped them in the 80s, loved it when the Flames picked up McDonald then beat the Habs for a Cup (remember, ex-Leaf fan so I was tainted), caught a bunch of games in Calgary over the years while in town on business…of course all that changed after moving to Montreal…don’t hate me…I have seen the light!

***SUBBANG BABY!!!***

• Dunboyne Mike says:

But you ticked… You saw the light but you ticked.
            “Tainted” is a big admission. Come here for a hug. All any of us really need is the Cup on St Catherine St.

• neumann103 says:

I think I picked Calgary, but for me it is just more of a “meh” feeling. I developed a bit of a sympathy for the Flames when they were being beaten by the Oilers with regularity.

I do remember 1989 and the meme of “doesn’t everyone feel good for Lanny, finally getting his shot at the Cup?” and thinking “No. I most certainly do not.”

I could never bring myself to cheer for the “hometown” Leafs or the passionless Senators and their fan base of government quantity surveyors. I am somewhat put off by the free pass that everyone seems to want to give the Jets just because Winnipeg got its team back. The Oilers should be a fun team to watch but the way they got there is shameful and I can’t support it. The Vancouver Canucks are a talented team with a lot of players I like but they do have that thing about them which seems to make them hated.

I think that Calgary has dug a big hole and are going to be prety bad for a while. But they are the team that hasn’t done anything to bother me in about 20 years.

On the other hand, in 1000 years I will still despise the Flyers mainly for the 1970s rivalry, but also for the goonish classless management (even to their own players like Lindros).

I am always puzzled by these fans who will cheer for the last Canadien team left in the playoffs. Once the Habs are out of the mix, country has not role in my preference

“Et le but!”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

OK, fair enough.
        And on your last point — in 2004, there were more Canadian players on Tampa Bay than on Calgary… (including 1 or 2 pretty good guys from la Belle Province).

32. savethepuck says:

I said earlier this week that MaxP being out 3 to 4 weeks would most likely be sooner based on past experience with him. Everyone remembers the shot he took in the ribs from the Wiz in Buffalo when he was taken to hospital in an ambulance, and didn’t miss a game, the wrist injury he was supposed to be out 2 to 3 weeks and only missed a game, and the “Chara incident ” where he made an unexpected recovery and back next season as good as new. This guy must be blessed with an extremely high pain threshold which enables him to start rehab and fight thru the pain as long as there is no worry of complicating the injury.
    What a freaking warrior we have in this guy, his main priority is getting back into the line-up ASAP to help his team.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

Question – Could the Colisée Pepsi hold up as a stop gap NHL arena for two years? The seating is basically the same size as the Winnipeg rink. The only problem is the place was built in 1949 – the year in which I was born!

I only ask this because it sure looks like Bettman is going to have to pull the plug on Phoenix this spring. Flip Winnipeg to the Western Conference and then add the Toronto GTA and Seattle teams sometime down the road.

I realize that Phoenix and Atlanta are huge TV markets but it’s time to accept reality.

• ed lopaz says:

that is precisely the plan. the colisee will be the temporary home for 2 seasons. there are great hockey fans in that area and they hate the Habs! So good for them. I’m happy they will get a second chance.

it makes me believe I might be cheering for the Expos again one day, and as much as I follow hockey, my true love is baseball.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Great — we can re-run the poll, this time with the Nordiques added.
        Are you certain about the plan? Is it documented?
        Don’t know about the resurrection of baseball. Would absolutely love to have the Expos back, but just can’t see it. Presume you’ve seen “Un été sans point ni coup sûr”?

• neumann103 says:

God. Other than the Flyers there was no team I despised more than the Newdorques

Bring em on. There is a team i could instantly hate.

“Et le but!”

34. HabFanSince72 says:

On the topic of goons and broons.

Buffalo is playing Boston tonight.

Buffalo specifically went out and got John Scott to beat up Broons.

That guy is scary.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

35. CharlieHodgeFan says:

You know what I love about these “controversies”? They are spoon fed to people.

Eller was fine and dandy last year. This year, rumour has him showing up a little out of shape, and maybe being distracted by a new child, and maybe being complacent… so the coach benches him for two games. From that, and his slow start, we have a crisis. A make or break year. A broken soul, ready to hit the methylated spirits at any moment. A player on the way out…

Desharnais is having a woeful start. We don’t know why. Maybe he doesn’t know why. But he has to be released, traded, demoted, chased with pitchforks….

Whatever happened to our sense of time? Our understanding that humans have injuries, distractions, bad weeks (as it really isn’t much more than a week or two into this season)? When did results have to be immediate? Lafleur had bad years starting, Shutt was unimpressive at first, and they are legends now. Eller and Desharnais can have a couple of weeks to get their game back. maybe they’ll have to be sat out sometimes. That’s coaching. They have shown no long term pattern of failure – quite the opposite.

We’re five games in, for Pete’s sake. This isn’t a video game.

• 24 Cups says:

Good point. Alex Delvecchio didn’t score until the 30 game mark one year. And he played with Gordie Howe.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Great post.
      If not spoon-fed, intravenous.
      It’s like the spread of “Blessed are the cheesemakers” in Life of Brian.

• New says:

Unrelenting pressure on the media to develop something worth reading and an organization obsessed with a past 20 years gone. How on earth can Eller or DD live up to Guy, who scored every shift. How can Price live up to Dryden who never allowed a goal. How can PK ever become Robinson who never took a penalty, stared down opponents, and usually scored with a lazy wrister from his own goal line.

The Canadiens are all about pretend now. No one wins at that game until they grab the Cup again. Then it becomes “Who cares, let them get into the playoffs and they’ll show you.” Now the results have to be immediate, because they haven’t done anything for the last 20 years and patience is running out. Or they could chose not to make such a big deal out of having been a good team 3 or 4 decades ago, that would work too.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Well said! (If a bit gloomy).
        Did you see someone referencing Adorno yesterday?! With your post, we could probably add Baudrillard now! (“The desert of the real”; “The Gulf War didn’t happen”).

36. frontenac1 says:

Put Blunden in for Chri*t sakes. He played well this year with the Dogs and he had a great camp. Take Lars out to some Topless Bars to get the Precious Bodily Fluids moving. Whitey will be OK ,he lnows he was a bad boy. DD should benched for a game or two and Dumont should be called up to give him a crack at it.

37. Habitoban says:

If Prust doesn’t turtle, loses, and takes Lucic with him to the box, I’d say “mission accomplished.”

38. HabFab says:

Hab players doing impressions of each other. Funny but insightful to a degree;

39. nova scotia vees says:

Oh, oh…Max Pac is recovering too quickly. Someone should ask Dr. Rhecci (sp) about it. I bet he faked the appendicitis like he faked the broken neck!

40. HabFab says:

New section at the Habs web site this season for keeping track of the prospects;

41. Kooch7800 says:

From Cassie Campbell
    Zach Boychuk goes to Pens and will get opportunity of a lifetime to most likely play alongside Crosby #waivers

42. wickedwelder says:

Well we all will see next Wednesday when we meet the RUNES .We will still get pushed around and not win many fights we need to get nasty … and not get pushed around !!!

43. Loonie says:

Here’s my desired lineup that would undoubtedly go undefeated for the remainder of the season.

Bourque – Plekanec – Gionta
    Pacioretty – Galchenyuk – Gallagher
    Desharnais – Eller – Cole
    Moen – Prust – Armstrong

Markov – Emelin
    Bouillon – Subban
    Gorges – Diaz

Price

• Kooch7800 says:

Where is Kabrele and Weber (sarcasim)

real question is when does MB start moving some of these assets. I think Weber has to clear waivers to go down

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan10912 says:

You left it out but can we assume you’ve made a coaching change as well? Scotty Bowman will now be behind the bench?

———————————–

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Looks very good.
      But would you be tempted to reinstall Patches with DD and Cole to see if they can rekindle last year’s fire? Or is that over and you’re proposing a new configuration?

• bwoar says:

94.7% agree, just swap Gorges & Boullion for me.

“thoroughbred”

• Steeltown Hab says:

I gotta think White is an upgrade over Armstrong. I think he’ll smarten up now, his energy is on another level though I love it.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

44. Propwash says:

Prust challenging Neil? The guy has balls, when was the last time somebody on the Habs challenged another player to a scrap?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

45. bwoar says:

It’d be fun to see DD at left wing, with Eller centering and Cole on the other side. Just tell Cole he doesn’t have to lug the puck up ice every time. Eller was made for that job.

“thoroughbred”

46. Adidess says:

A few things I have against PK as well:

1) He made up that inspirational tale about his beloved girlfriend dying of cancer, in the immediate aftermath of his grandmother’s death, but the girlfriend story turned out to be a hoax.

2) He spent the last 15 years vehemently denying he’s ever used PEDs, persecuted, sued and financially ruined many people around him for simply telling the truth. It’s so sick now that he’s admitting everything to all of us suckers, just so that he can return to the ice.

3) If you watch his media scrum yesterday, he still hasn’t learned to show the spotlight. He did not ask the media to maybe talk to Blunden and Weber, as they also skated that morning. He chose to sit closer to the rafters in Ottawa when he could have just as well use his new fat shiny contract to buy ice-level tickets and sit closer to his teammates and give them support.

I could go on and on

47. frontenac1 says:

Eller needs a good tilt to get his juices going. Maybe he smokes too much pot?

48. Mattyleg says:

Here’s a question that just came to me:

People are outraged with what they consider DD’s lack of production after six games. This was one of our leading point-getters last season, and people want him demoted.

Okay.

Let’s say that Larry gets the assignment.
    “Get out there and play with Eric Cole and (another top winger).”

How long does he get to ‘prove himself’ before we throw him out? Do we give him longer because he has to ‘fit in with his new linemates’? Or shorter because the experiment to promote a 3rd-liner to 2nd line was a foolish idea to begin with? What if DD clicks with the ‘deadbeats’ that Larry has had to suffer through?

Then we can cue the ‘Cole was slumping. Give Larry a winger who isn’t slumping!’ or ‘Max was coming back from injury, that’s not fair!!!’ cries, I imagine…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Loonie says:

Personally I don’t need to see Eller on a top line.

It would be nice to see him paired with two skilled players for more than two or three games at a time though.

• krob1000 says:

Exactly..he is 23 and still has plenty of learning ahead…but expecting points or pulling him off his line and moving him all over the place for wjhat I would say “looking out of sorts more than playing badly”..which is understandable given the fact he is bein moved all over the place with anybody and everybody.

• krob1000 says:

The thing about this whole thing is moving forwarda and if given 3 of the 4 centers to keep without a doubt I would pick Dd as the one to go….that is why I do not want to see Eller gone. Eller has a higher ceiling of potential, PLeks is too damn good at everything and Galchenyuk is the teams best prospect in eons. DD is the odd man out moving forward IMO and I do not want to see them make the wrong decision…which I believe it would be so it pains me when the team wants to give up on another young kid who has never even been given a chance.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Is that one for me, Matty?
      I agree, there are practical issues surrounding how much time anyone can expect to have to find their groove (unless they’re Gomez). So far I have a bit more faith in MT 2.0 in this regard than the zero faith I had in JM.
      I’d just hate to give up on Eller until he’s had enough time to prove his worth. I accept that for some that time is getting close or is already here.

• jedimyrmidon says:

The main issue isn’t Eller supplanting DD. It’s putting Eller at center (which is where he can best be expected to produce) with linemates who can produce. Note: no offensive player should be expected to produce with plugs and grinders, and Eller is no different.

Making the situation more difficult is that Eller is obviously lacking in confidence (probably has something to do with being benched after 1 game in which so many others looked bad, and then being thrown around the lineup at wing). That means extra time. Eller is also considered a developing player, meaning more patience and time is required. His development offensively as opposed to defensively has not been the focus ever since he entered the NHL.

Here are my forward line combos:

Larry-Curly-Moe
    Harpo-Groucho-Chico
    Athos-Porthos-Aramis
    Snap-Crackle-Pop

On defence:

Starsky-Hutch
    Batman-Robin
    Beavis-Butthead

In nets:

Symantec
    Acronis

50. Dunboyne Mike says:

“While falsifying appendicitis or self-generating a phantom appendictic crisis is extremely rare, it is not without precedent and is likely to have been what transpired, in my opinion, with Max Pacioretty of the Montreal Canadiens. It is worth noting that this same subject has previously falsified concussion and broken neck.”

Dr M. Recchi

51. Kooch7800 says:

Prust vs staubitz

Prust can handle his own people. He was a good pick up cause he can actually play hockey. He lead the league in fights for a reason…he is good at it

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

52. Dunboyne Mike says:

Some of the criticisms of Eller may yet prove accurate. I would argue that more patience is needed. There’s a lot to like in what he brings and I would favour giving him more time. His career has so far been characterised by disruption and uncertainty, ie being traded to us and then playing for JM. MAYBE he’s the kind of guy who needs an assignment and then a bit of time and space to take possession of it before fulfilling his potential. I know, professional sport is fast, and by all means, if we can’t make time for someone like Eller to grow into his optimum role, then trade him. But I believe that if we could afford him a little more room to grow, he ought to blossom into something valuable.

Also, he’s not alone in coming slow out of the starting-gate. Should we have Cole in the press box? By the same token I would ease off on DD as well.

Ryan White’s big mouth is another matter.

• krob1000 says:

He absolutely needs more time… http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=35409
      Those are Cole’s stats as well… like Pleks and D Eller is around where he was at the same age too…Cole didn;t have 30 goals or more than 18 for that matter (high of 42 points) until he was 27 years old

• B says:

Eller is not perfect (who is?), but his role has progressed fine through his first 2 seasons. This season is too young to be drawing any conclusions from. There is no reason not to give him more time (or to expect that he will not be given it). Overall, he seems to be coming along ok.

–Go Habs Go!–

53. Mattyleg says:

Sorry, was wallowing in obscurity on the old thread…
    Posted this there by accident:

Thoughts on Larry:

There is more to being effective than putting points up.
    Hard work, winning battles, and playing good positional hockey, and backchecking are all elements which make up an effective player.

Eller hasn’t carved a niche for himself, and it’s not due to his wingers.

You should be able to sum up players in a couple of words that accurately describes their assets that they bring to each game.

Ryan White: feisty, energetic, reckless.
    DD: Relentles, effective playmaker, opportunistic.
    Cole: Strong, sniper, veteran leader.
    Max: Tough, sniper, energetic, checker.

And so-on. Perhaps you don’t necessarily agree with those assessments (I don’t know if I do completely either) but my point is that I can’t think of what Eller offers that he shows consistently.

Sometimes he is energetic, sometimes he throws his body around, sometimes he gets into good positions… but he rarely does anything consistently, and that’s not because of his linemates.

He has been effective on the PK, which is why he will probably fit in on the 3rd line just fine. Problem there is that he has to create an identity for himself so that he can be properly paired up with complimentary wingers.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

He fits the role of a third line shutdown center with some scoring touch. I’d be very pleased to have him there, he does good on the third.

• krob1000 says:

Dd is a relentless playmaking opportunistic player who seems to very much mis MAx PAcioretty…and has done nothing thus far..even in the good games.
      Eller is every it as “relentless”..that was his best trait last eyar. Lars is a great playmaker too..when at center…unfortunately he doesn’t get the teams two best wingers to finish or help create.
      Do the math for alst eyar and see how similar their point totals are without the powerplay…and if Dd makes players better (it sure looks like it was Pacioretty making COle and DD better).

54. krob1000 says:

Tom “Loonie” …you are right with everything you have said about Eller…

Ryder couldn’t score on the fourth line either …everywhere else he has been a top 6 winger he scores bewtween 20-35 goals.
    Saku and Gomez put up similar stats to DD yet he is a “number 1 center” and they were not?
    I remember Pleks having an off year and everyone wanting him gone…nobody could look past the scoresheet…same with Ryder the year he was chased out…he never got any time to work himself out of his funk…and despite what people said did work hard…as did PLeks,etc
    I have several times put on here posts showing how he is further ahead than Dd and Pleks were at the same age. I have put on here several tims the similarities between Dd and Eller’s stats once the pp is removed and shown they are actually better than DD’s when icetime is then factored in also.
    We keep hearing how Dd made Patches and Cole better? then why isn’t he making Eller better? maybe it was Pacioretty that made that line click?
    IT really doesn’t matter as it appears the one guy that matters MT…does not like Eller. IT is really a shame that another up and coming talent will again be lost but I am not sure where he fits in this current lineup…he meshed with AK as they are both creative and not straight line players and Eller got to be in the middle of the rink where he belongs.
    It is a HUGE adjustment to go from center to winger….you are constantly stopped completely as a winger …. it is a big adjustment period.
    Please Tom….take it from someone who has tried repeatedly on here….give it up as you cannot change their minds….
    I heard the same crap after the team signed Gomez and right until the bitter end people refused to buy it, Ryder, Kostitsyn, Price over Halak, Gomez and his apparent magnetic personality ( I guess we will lose half of the team to San Jose now..oh well),etc….
    Just be content knowing Eller is a good player, will be a good player and whether it is Montreal or elsewhere the kid has a future….as did Grabs, Ryder, Sergei, Higgins, Mcdonagh (I actually remember everyone saying he was a bust pick),
    The Habs fanbase held rallies over Kovalev and clapped as Koivu left town…that should tell you all you need to know….all many see is the flash and the scoresheet…

55. Danno says:

I blame the global economic crisis on PK.

Oh wait. That’s Gomez’s fault.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

56. SmartDog says:

Re. this whole Eller debate, I for one would love to see Eller between two good wingers for a few games. I think he’d rise to it and show he could be a 2nd line center. Even if we trade him he’d be worth more. But it won’t happen, not in Montreal.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• CanadienBoy says:

x2 except i’m hoping the new management continue to surprise me and give him a fair chance

• Coach K says:

I’m with you SmartDog.

I’d like to see exactly that. He’s got the size up the middle that management has been after for years. (Unfotunately, Pleks can’t bring that quality) Until Galchenyuk develops, I think Eller as your 2nd line center would be an excellent experiment. He’s got size, hands and vision and if you surround him with some defensively responsible wingers, I think it should set everyone up for success. Besides, that’s probably the role he was initially drafted for.
      Furthermore, I think Plekanec is essentially “Datsyuk light” and a bargain at that! An excellent two-way center that you could easily build a very solid checking line around that would also have some upside with regard to offence. Kind of a Guy Carbonneau with better hands and vision. Having him as your 3rd line, checking center would reduce his minutes a bit and keep him fresh. And even though that would put him up against the other team’s best line, it could also have the added benefit of more point production due to him being better rested and less fatigued on the PK.

Thoughts???

—–“This is the only thing that has seen more parties than us.”—–
      Steven Tyler, Aerosmith’s lead singer, after admiring the Stanley Cup…

57. frontenac1 says:

Staubitz would be more useful than Lars.

58. Sportfan says:

You know whats really nice have 4 actually lines with forwards and not dressing a 7th D that was really aggravating to see all the time

59. PeterD says:

My lines for Saturday assuming Patches is not ready…
    I would start like this and if DD isn’t improving his game I switch DD and Eller very quickly.

Blunden – DD – Cole
    Bourque – Plekanec – Gionta
    Gally73 – Chuckie27 – Prust
    Moen – Eller – Armstrong

Blunden has size, speed and some scoring touch as he has shown in Hamilton and during the Intrasquad game (2 goals that night)…so I say why not see what else the team has at it’s disposal and not just rotating 4th liners.

• wickedwelder says:

you do not no what you are saying you must have Ryan W in.

• PeterD says:

…”you MUST have White in”???
        Are you freaking kidding me??
        I guess if you want the to team to practices it’s penalty kill all game sure leave him in.
        If you want to boost team scoring you pull him for a game or two and see what else you have on the bench.

• Luke says:

Blunden? I’d rather have you play on the first line.

• PeterD says:

Why not Blunden…he is currently 3rd in team scoring in Hamilton and hasn’t been there for over two weeks.

White, sure he has heart but the team needs disciple and scoring…White showed last night he needs to sit and watch for a game of two.

• Habfan17 says:

Why so hard on Blunden, he played for Canada at the world juniors, was doing well in Hamilton and didn’t hurt the team last year when given a chance. He actually showed he had speed and energy. With the right linemates, he could be very effective

Habfan17

• Luke says:

You know who else played for Canada at the Juniors?
          From 2005 “the greatest WJC roster”:

Shawn Belle
          Anthony Stewart
          Colin Fraser
          Stephen Dixon
          Dany Syvret
          Jeremy Colliton
          Cam Barker
          Nigel Dawes
          Jeff Glass
          Rejean Beauchemin

I’m not being mean to Blunden, I commend him for making it to the NHL and carving out a career as a professional hockey player. The truth is this: He is a fringe NHLer. He is not any sort of solution to whatever issue people see on the Habs top-line; unless that issue is a lack or fourth liners.

• I like Blunden’s heart and wheels, but he could barely score in the AHL — I don’t know that he’s the cure to DD’s slow start. I’d say your entire bottom six should get a shot in that spot before Blunden.

Anyway though, six games does not a season make — not even a shortened one. I’m not a huge DD fan, but there’s no denying his 60-odd points last year. He reads the play well and is a good passer, and has found success at every level. He’s earned a few more games to see if he can find it again.

• PeterD says:

The way I see it we have two lines producing and one line not there yet.
        So you leave the producing lines alone and not mess with them (Chuckie’s and Plec’s).
        The so called 1st line with DD is looking for a short term place holder for until Patches returns.
        The 4th lines needs to bring energy and defensive responsibility…Eller has that and would do well with Moen as he did for a time last season.
        I think DD will bounce back but until he does that line is not contributing the way it is expected too…so make a twek here and there and see what happens until Patches comes back.

• Sportfan says:

I don’t think Blunden will be on that line frankly

• The Dude says:

Gally – DD – Cole
      Bourque – Plecs – Gionta
      Eller – Chuckie – Prust
      Moen – White – Armstrong

60. Mavid says:

I missed how the fight started, but from what I understand it was Neil’s usual A hole Shtick..waits till the guy is at the end of his shift and then jumps from behind..next game Prust will be ready..and on the subject of the fights I was reading through last nights comments and obviously I saw a different fight then some on here. White took a good one in the beak but he got alot more punches in then the other guy..Same with Prust…looked pretty much like a draw to me…Sorry but I kinda chuckle a little when folks say he brings alot to a team…really? He is a terrible fighter, and barely able to play..sure he pots a goal every now and then…but you know what they say about the blind squirl..I also saw someone say he fought Chara…sure after Lurch hunted him down and grabbed ahold of him…he had no choice but to defend himself…which is usually the case when he fights real fighters…as normally he would avoid them..some may call him oportunisitc..I call him a goof A hole..glad he is a Sen…

• Habfan17 says:

Neil should have also had a penalty for mugging Gionta after Methot hit him. Gio went to pick up his stick and Neil, the self proclaimed clean guy, mugged him. Real clean Neil…in what universe? The refs sucked last night

Habfan17

61. ponyboy says:

I’d love to see Eller play center with Cole and Patches. Will it happen is the question.

62. ponyboy says:

All I’m saying is Eller seems out of place in MT’s world, so far. Don’t get me wrong I’m a huge Eller supporter. Just two players that could use fresh starts, that’s all. Eller needs to play center with some skilled fwds though. Where does he fit?

63. citizenSanto says:

Glad to hear Max’s mutant healing factor seems to be working fine.
    They grow them strong at Xavier’s school for gifted children.
    ;)

64. OnlyHabs says:

omg!!!! remember this game?? this was one of the best ones EVER!!

65. HabFanSince72 says:

Brandon Prust has challenged Chris Neil to a fight next time the teams meet (Sunday I believe).

Prust really needs another goon on the team. He’s more of a middleweight than a true heavyweight fighter. He can maybe fight Neil to a draw but against guys like Shawn Thornton or John Scott he’s liable to get hurt. This is a problem.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

66. Danno says:

If the groundhog predicts six more weeks of winter on Saturday, I’ll blame Subban.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

67. Say Ash says:

Pacioretty is truly wolverine.

68. Luke says:

I heard that PK took all of his teammates pets this morning and ate them.

So Wayne Scanlan (assuming that is english for Hack Journalist) has a headline entitled :”Subban sideshow irked teammates”.

Okay I bit, (feel like a cheap fill in the blank now) so after reading through the entire article not one quote to back up the irked teammates or description of sideshow.

Thanks for your incredible journalistic integrity, shouldn’t expect anything more than BS from Ottawa anyway, lesson learned.

Of course even nicer to see the Gazette pick up on the rubbish and publish. Thumbs up!

• Loonie says:

In fairness Josh Gorges said he was sick of talking about one player. But I don’t think there was any animosity toward Subban, just the situation.

Then quote it, I am not saying there may not be truth, but what a load of shit the guy prints after letting the editor run with a headline like that. Isn’t there some accountability to actually have a headline be remotely related to the story printed?

• Loonie says:

I agree. Same thing with just about every other piece of speculative drivel about Subban.

No references, no quotes, and in the event they are used they seem to be twisted to fit an agenda instead of being called what they are.

The least he could have done was taken Markov’s statements out of context like TSN and others did a few days ago. :)

• HabFanSince72 says:

Actually the part of the byline “Wayne Scanlan, Postmedia News” that says “hack journalist” is not the first part.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

70. ponyboy says:

Soooo, what would it take to get Derrick Brassard out of Columbus? They must be ready to give up on him, they just lost two key dmen to injury. Eller and Weber for Brassard??

• nunacanadien says:

Eller and Gionta and a third round pick. Make some more cap room in case Subban washes out, or in case Patches plays like a hypochondriac this year like Markov has done for what now almost twenty years? Ok, that is unfair, but honestly since Markov has been with the habs he’s always hurt, or almost hurt or afraid to get hurt.

Subban washes out and MaxPac is a hypochondriac, now really, who is the one with the meds problem here?

• nunacanadien says:

Hey we saw the way Patches held back last year. I think he’s got that old veteran 300 yard stare when he gets hurt, and to think the habs never got even with Charra over that one. Here we had a potential superstar in Patches and he was played too soon like Gallagher is now, and he got hurt young and now he’s learned the nasty lesson so many veterans like Markov know only too well. In fact you saw Markov dodge a hit.

Max has come back early from injury many times, to suddenly accuse him of not coming back and be ready is ridiculous. Where do you come up with Subban suddenly washing out? And Markov has played like a hypochondriac for 20 years you say? WTF does that mean? 20 years he has played like this?

Too much salt peter in your coffee bud.

Interestingly enough I listened to John Davidson the other day doing an interview. It was discussed how extremely budget oriented they are, and how the payroll will have to come down for them.

He provided an example/benefit of the Nash trade where they received 4 pieces for Nash, and how that includes a number of players.

Essentially he is indeed looking for deals where he picks up 2 players for 1 player and a lower cap hit. He needs quality players back who can help and play for an NHL team. I suspect Eller would be very tempting. Davidson was in St. Louis when Eller was drafted and the scout (can’t spell his name) who found Eller is reveered in Davidson’s books.

Question for Montreal is cap space.

• nunacanadien says:

If we can package Gionta with Eller? And throw in Armstrong maybe? And Kaberle? Heck that would be a big package, not only a potential in Eller (he will be a potential until he retires) and a star captain with a big heart (too bad he’s so small) in Gionta and what did we see in Armstrong? And of course no one can dispute the power play prowess of Kaberle (when he actually helps on a power play) and their salaries would give us tremendous flexibility. What we get back now that is a different matter but hey Molson has already bought out the paper kid’s debt for not fulfiling his route, next Molson will buyout the remaining contract of any disgruntled hot dog vender….

• Luke says:

Brassard?
      Drafted in ’06; Just looked at his offensive numbers:
      17gp 2pt
      31gp 25pt (concussion)
      79gp 36pt
      74gp 47pt
      74gp 41pt
      This year: 7gp, 2assists.

Eller was an ’07 pick and played only 2 full seasons (17pts, 28pts)

I suppose you are trading potential (Eller… he’s only played 2 seasons!!) for the hope Brassard can bounce back in the 5th year after his concussion, because he doesn’t seem to be regaining that form.

I dunno… I’d keep Eller. patience is a virtue…

71. JF says:

One more thing about last night. The Senators received quite a few pummellings last year like the one they inflicted on us. It happens to young teams and is part of the process of becoming a good team. For the Habs, I expect to see a few more games like that when we face the Bruins and Penguins. We need to be patient and let the team grow, without feeling that the coaches have to shuffle everything around after a bad loss.

• Loonie says:

That’s definitely fair. And I’m still trying to wrap my head around the expectations for last night’s game specifically. Budaj’s first in 9 months, second road game of the season. Missing arguably the team’s best offensive forward and second best defenseman.

No excuses are great words to live by but it isn’t our job to abide by it. It’s the team’s.

• TommyB says:

Who are you, and where did you come from??? (Kidding, I absolutely agree.)

• nunacanadien says:

Pummeling more like a trampling of Gionta and Markov and even Therrien got tackled! Heck I think they might have even nailed Geoff Molson, it was a total bully on the habs. But that is what the habs face when they face the real NHL. Not the weaker teams we’ve won against. Sure the lines of Patche and Cole and DD shone against the weaker teams and the galys got their neat goals, happens every early season the rookies have their best games. But the habs have to win all year.

72. The Jackal says:

Second?

73. shiram says:

No excuses!!
    Why didn’t you all post first uh??

Well its still fricking cold here, so they could do a better job then with helping global warming.

75. Luke says:

It’s not Lars’ fault. He just hasn’t been given the opportunity to prevent it yet.

76. Habfan10912 says:

I’d like some more wind please. :)

———————————–

77. secretdragonfly says:

Oh I don’t know, there seems to be plenty of hot air blowing around on this board today :)

78. Kooch7800 says:

Prust is A TON more useful than Staubitz. Prust can actually skate and can play a good shutdown role.

He will also pot the occasional goal and hasn’t looked out of place on the third line.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

79. wickedwelder says:

I think you are right on .When we see the Runes it will not be good for us some one has to take Luchie !! and win or it will not matter !

80. Kooch7800 says:

It will be interesting. I have a feeling they will have to ease him back in as PK usually has rough starts to the season. They need him now though and Kabby can can sit in the press box where he belongs.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

81. Luke says:

Added muscle bulk reduces speed and mobility.

82. Habfan17 says:

Subban and Patches have fearsome workouts

Habfan17

83. Danno says:

Can GSP skate?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

84. HabFanSince72 says:

This is plainly wrong. DD is much more combative on the boards, and often wins battles for the puck.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

85. Kooch7800 says:

Prust will be just fine. MT is preaching team toughness. How does it help the hockey team by having a staubitz on the team exactly? So he can play 5 minutes a game and maybe fight the other teams goon? More than half the teams don’t have a major goon anymore. You have to be able to play as well.

Prust can hold his own against thornton…lucic as he has in the past. He led the league in fights last year. With White, Moen, Prust and Armstrong (for hits not fights) this team is much grittier

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

86. Kooch7800 says:

You said Staubitz was bigger and cheaper…that obviously didn’t translate very well in his fights against Prust. Bigger doesn’t mean anything but hockey skills do.

My point is Prusts size doesn’t mean Jack Sh*t. he can hang with the big boys.

Signing a goon would be a waste of a roster spot

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

87. Dunboyne Mike says:

On the other hand, is it not possible to build a winner without carrying a heavyweight?

Or slightly different question: do we have to carry a heavyweight just because of Lucic? Do we give him too much credit that way? Haven’t we dominated the Bruins previously despite Lucic?

Don’t get me wrong — I still cheer myself sometimes going to Youtube to watch the despicable Lucic chicken out with BGL. But do we really, really need to save space on the team for someone to carry out that role?

88. Strummer says:

There is no point obsessing on the Bruins.
    You can’t beat them physically.
    They have too much size- Chara is unbeatable physically and he plays 30 minutes a night. Lucic is a top 6 and they have a formidable 4th line (physically)

We need to learn how to beat them with skill.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

89. Garbo says:

Who are these so called 5-6 goons?

90. shiram says:

I’m not going to argue DD’s combativeness, but the fact is he can just be pinned on the boards by opposing players. Or get knocked down easier than a larger player, sure he always bounces back up, but a player that remains on his skate will be off faster too.

91. Kooch7800 says:

The habs were garbage last year and they were still close in every game with Boston last year 4 of the 6 being 1 goal games. I bet they will do just fine against them this year.

Boulion is a tough cookie as well don’t forget. Bourque can hit and play nasty when he is provoked as well.

The habs are not the push overs they were last year. It def didn’t show last night with the hitting but they will be fine…

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

92. Luke says:

The Bruins don’t have a goon.
    All of their tough players can contribute. Thornton (their gooniest) plays on the PK, checks well, & can chip in 10ish goals. A goon is a guy like John Scott. 2 Minutes on the ice, 17 minutes in the box.
    Bruins have no one like that.
    They’ll mention Chara, but he’s a Norris winner, Lucic is a 30goal scorer, McQuaid isn’t even thought of as much of a fighter amongst the Bruins fans…

93. HabFanSince72 says:

Luke – there is not a member of the Bruins organization, from the owner to the coach to the players to the Zamboni driver, who isn’t a goon.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

94. Kooch7800 says:

I don’t think you need one anymore. This is just my opinion but you have to be able to play now. Team toughness and gritt is more important. Fighting heavyweights doesn’t translate in points at the end of the night.

Just my opinion though

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

95. bel33 says:

Lucic is a big boy.. but it’s the even bigger chumps of Thorton and Chara.. that are worrisome.

I LOVE the addition Prust when he plays effective… but Thorton would probably be too much for him… and nobody’s fighting Chara.

EDIT: Not that the Habs have to build to just fight the Bruins… it’s just that it’s the Bruins… you know that group of idiots are bringing the rough stuff against the Habs.

96. Strummer says:

we came within an overtime goal of beating them with a small team

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

97. Habfan17 says:

Not necessarily!

Habfan17

98. Kooch7800 says:

Prust vs Thronton.

No one can fight Chara

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

99. Dunboyne Mike says:

PLUS, there’s still Daddy Campbell at HQ, not in the same role, of course, but hardly without influence. That’s how they won their Cup — Marchand punching Sedin 8 times being only one example. (It’s my conspiracy theory and I’m sticking to it).

I still like the idea of beating Boston DESPITE their size and grit. We’ve done it before. In fact, we were only 1 goal away from shattering their Cup hopes in 2011.

100. krob1000 says:

I think that would be great for him….I prefer him at center but Galchenyuk at least is not a straight line player either and Eller’s abilities may be better utilized. The idea that the this is a make or break year for Eller just seems so absurd…

101. The Cat says:

While I usually like a ‘kid’ line, Im not sure if itd help Eller, he seems like the kind of player that thinks too much and therefore would feel pressure being with two upstarts. I think getting Eller going is a job for a wily veteran.

102. bleedhabs81 says:

because staubitz is a 2 minute a game pylon.

103. Dunboyne Mike says:

Great minds. (But I’m cursed with slow fingers).
    I totally agree, Strummer.
    I also think Lucic had a very mediocre season last year. He sometimes scored clutch goals, but they seemed isolated amidst a lot of anonymous playing. His season highlight was attempted homicide on Miller.

104. bel33 says:

Agreed… thanks for reminding me of that… damn… bounce.

I know.. I just wish for one game we could sign/bring up/fly in… a bunch of players from the IRON league (yes made it up) or where ever, and DEMOLISH the Bruins… even Chara. Just one game… then beat them with that skill thing.

105. citizenSanto says:

A+ ∞

106. Dunboyne Mike says:

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Un Canadien Errant? He has strong views on these skill/size/goon/speed issues and puts them very well.

Is it possible he’s on a lockout-induced boycott? One of the few who stuck to his principles?

107. Mattyleg says:

I heard Therrien mutter something about ‘smelling like milky vomit’ under his breath when asked about Larry.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

108. Luke says:

Exceptions granted, but it is a pretty fair rule, though.

From Speed comes power. Muslce mass can restrict speed.

(But I’ll let an actual kiniseologist get into this, I’m not qualified to make that an emphatic statement)

109. Dunboyne Mike says:

Bel, that is truly beautiful.

110. Dunboyne Mike says:

Good question.
    See Luke above — good point.

111. The Cat says:

Lucic is very beatable, he always nails the first blow, its always a quasi sucker punch. The answer is make sure you deal the first blow.

You wouldn’t be so angry if you watched him play, instead of just fight. Scott is barely a marginal player.

113. Dunboyne Mike says:

So what do you reckon? Is there some kind of hack we can use to identify who ticked the Flames in the poll? We let them off if they were born ’89 or later.

This made me root for Tampa Bay in 2004!

You’re a f**kin’ idiot. I hate the Bruins but I would never wish an injury on any player in any sport.

Although I do not like these players per se, I think that there are fools out there that might do this sort of stuff, But I do not wish a career ending injury on any player. Need more pride and respect back in the game. Not garbage.

116. Habfan10912 says:

Really?

———————————–

117. Danno says:

That isn’t very classy.

Habs fans shouldn’t let fellow Habs fans sink to the level of Bruins fans

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

118. wickedwelder says:

Hell ya.

119. If I were a mod, this post would come down. Calling for this kind of thing is a lot worse than an f-bomb in my book.

And for the record, I can’t stand Lucic or Chara — but neither one is really dirty, and I’d take them on my team in a heartbeat.

120. S Jack 13 says:

I think you have seriously mistaken sites bud!!!
    Good Luck!!!

121. ABHabsfan says:

Staunch defender of the world’s oldest profession.
    And violence against women is not funny anytime, in any context

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

122. Dunboyne Mike says:

Appreciate the sentiment, but that’s too far, man. Surprised you submitted that.

123. HabFab says:

You defend farmers?
    The second oldest profession was created to help those farmers spend their hard earned product :)

124. ABHabsfan says:

yes I like farmers too.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

125. Habilis says:

Farming is a pretty old profession, but it’s got nothing on hunting and gathering. Those were the only professions around for hundreds of thousands of years prior to the emergence of agriculture.

So basically, the world’s second oldest profession, as you so aptly put it, probably existed a long time before farming. ;)

126. Habfan10912 says:

Schools out, eh?

———————————–

127. Danno says:

They called it Zug Zug way back in the caveman days

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

128. Hobie Hansen says:

LOL. I might be a bit less concerned and wouldn’t feel quite as bad if that happened to one of the Bruins you mentioned but I still wouldn’t wish it upon anybody.

The score is what counts first but if you’re looking for retribution of a physical nature than a good old fashioned fight at center ice would do the trick.

Unfortunately though, Prust, Moen or White isn’t a match for Lucic or Chara :-(.

129. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Living in south east BC i am surrounded by flames fans and besides the bruins i can’t think of a team that that makes me cringe with hate like the flames. Probably because it is the only time i get to see the habs play live. (was at the centennial game in montreal) and they always beat us. I remember one 6-1 drubbing they gave us where the guy sitting behind me and slapped me on the back and slurred something like “what do ya frenchmen think of us cowboys now?” I watched the whole game and saw nobody riding a horse or wearing a beret sipping wine. And i was only 9 in 89 but remember it like it was yesterday,still makes me wretch a little.

130. Sportfan says:

You forgot the finger to the fans and the cheap shot to Halpern haven’t you?

131. otter649 says:

It was Ference not Thornton……

132. Sportfan says:

Whoops my mistake sorry about that, I feel they are both D-Bags anyway haha

133. jmsheehy19 says:

I have Rask on my fantasy team. So this is rather bitter sweet for me.

134. Bill says:

It was hilarious, but no.

Full Breezer 4 Life

135. ClutchNGrab says:

Your comment made me think of that tweet that I saw yesterday: