Indestructible Pacioretty skates with Subban in Brossard

max-pk

Canadiens’ Max Pacioretty watches from the bench as teammate P.K. Subban works out Thursday in Brossard.
John Kenney/The Gazette

The Canadiens had an day off Thursday following Wednesday night’s 5-1 loss to the Senators in Ottawa.

However, P.K. Subban skated in Brossard at noon Thursday with strength and conditioning coach Pierre Allard as he prepares for his first official practice with the team Friday since signing a new two-year contract on Monday. Also on the ice with Subban was Max Pacioretty, who seems to be making a quick recovery from an emergency appendectomy last weekend.

Pacioretty was admitted to Montreal General Hospital Saturday evening to undergo the emergency surgery and was back home by noon Sunday, his recovery already nicely underway. His early prognosis from the Canadiens put him out of the lineup for three to four weeks.

By text message to The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs, following his skate, Pacioretty said: “I’ve got to do whatever it takes to come back as soon as possible. I have to get on the ice as much as possible. I feel better every day but I can’t tell when I will be back playing.”

In fact, Pacioretty was back at the team’s Brossard training facility this past Monday, one day after having been discharged from the Montreal General.

We should find out at Friday’s practice, which starts at 11 a.m. in Brossard, if Subban will make his season debut this weekend when the Canadiens face the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday and the Senators on Sunday. Both games at the Bell Centre start at 2 p.m.

The main feature in this week’s Hockey Inside/Out section published in Thursday’s Gazette focused on Kevin Gilmore, the Canadiens’ executive vice-president and chief operating officer. He is the main behind the “Raise the Torch” branding this year and the opening-night ceremony at the Bell Centre as well as the new 24CH reality series on RDS.

Gilmore lights Habs torch, by Brenda Branswell

With Subban contract, both sides win, by Pat Hickey

Subban sideshow irked teammates, by Wayne Scanlan of Postmedia news

‘I have to learn to shut up’: Ryan White, by Pat Hickey

Plekanec says Habs buying into Therrien’s system, by Dave Stubbs

1. jeffhabfan says:

I like the new HABS grit that they added.Hope to see P.K. tomorrow. GO HABS GO.

2. BJ says:

New blog….. next story

3. ed lopaz says:

under the category of: Habs know Best?

Summer of 2009, Habs sign Jaro Spacek as a free agent, coming off his best year, Spacek had put up 45 points for the Sabres, many of which had come on the power play as a SHOOTER.

Spacek arrives in Montreal, and for all intents and purposes never sees any power play times.

Now we have the sudden transformation of Francis Bouillon into a power play defenceman. I think we could go back to 1995, playing for Granby in the Q, to find the last time Cube was given any consistent power play duty. Of course Therrien was his coach in 1995, so this seems to make perfect sense.

I have a crazy, out of this world, off the charts recommendation for the Habs’ brass.

Why not try Emelin for a few games on the power play? Emelin’s last season in the KHL he scored 11 goals and added 15 assists for 26 points in 52 games, many of which were on the power play.

If we gave Emelin 5 straight games there I have a feeling he would re-gain his power play touch and shot which accounted for many of those 11 goals.

Emelin has offensive potential. We should explore this option.

4. habstrinifan says:

Melnick etc on noon show on tsn690 talking Thornton/Scott fight.

Melnick said Chara played scared and Lucic took penalty to escape from the ice. They were afraid of Scott.

Tony said they not scared of anyone. I dont know re Lucic but I do believe Chara is.

5. Chrisadiens says:

Yikes. What happened to HIO? I get some cruddy watered down version on my phone now. Barely useable now… :(

6. arcosenate says:

Strange night in Boston last night, after John Scott put Thornton out with a series of very hard rights, noone stood up amongst the big, bad Bruins. No Lucic, no Hornton and no Chara.

I am no Thornton fan but I respect his toughness, it makes me wonder what he’s thinking after getting all of his team mates’ backs for the past 5 years in Boston, only to have his back left pretty exposed.

• shiram says:

He would be thinking something along these lines if he was not concussed…
      “Wow even if some guy beat up that other guy, my brain jelly was still hitting the walls of my skulls pretty hard back there!”

• bwoar says:

No one on the Bruins could beat up John Scott. Simple as that. I’d love to see their neanderthal Slovak take a run at Scott. Cos he’d get dropped.

“thoroughbred”

• Newf_Habster says:

I don’t think that Horton will take a risk against Scott because he has had a history of serious concussion.

I am relieved to see that PK is taking part in practise and that it appears he will play Saturday. I had this weird thought that MT might try some mental coaching and not have PK start first game back after practise….. (The paranoid part of me thought that)

• habstrinifan says:

What do you think HabinBurlington re what seems from this distance the deliberate effort to have Bouillion shepherd P.K back into the fold. I dont know if this was Therrien’s idea or if Bouillion volunteered… but Boullion seems to have embraced it. First game I criticised Bouillion’s playing time but I like this development.

8. commandant says:

I take a look at the Struggling Flyers

While Mick looks at the Struggling Rangers

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

9. commandant says:

Woah, I was just logged in as Kooch.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Well the site mainenance here, meant I could do inventory in my warehouse. Perhaps we could schedule these maintenance days a little more often, just some notice would be nice. :)

11. shiram says:

#67 is taking regular practice shifts.
    22 and whatever # is Weber are skating on thin ice as per pairing units in practice.
    All glory to Dave Stubbs

12. Cal says:

Well, this sucks. Who ever did the maintenance blew it.

13. secretdragonfly says:

Hm, the return of Lafleurguy and the site down for the morning – coincidence????? :)

14. Cal says:

This is all Eller’s fault. Or MT’s. One of the two, anyway.

15. Cal says:

What?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

16. HabFanSince72 says:

OK- who criticized the Chinese govt?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

17. Propwash says:

Unreal. MaxPac isn’t even wearing a no contact jersey during practice.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

18. Luke says:

I can’t believe that PK crashed the site this morning.
    Thankfully Lars Eller given the opportunity to fix it.

19. Mattyleg says:

Thank God HI/O is back!!
    I was worried I was going to have to do some work!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. commandant says:

The Sharks are the only undefeated team in the NHL.

Amazing run they put together.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

21. Lafleurguy says:

Computer hackers are the worst, and I hope I maintain the repair that has me back to posting with the good folks of HIO.

Intriguing season so far. Not yet enough talent to be a serious contender.

A post I attempted 30 days ago but didn’t transmit:

JoeC had the last post of 2012.

Otter649 had the first of all firsts with the first post of 2013.

“May you live in interesting times.”

Practice in Brossard this morning, we will know shortly if PK is replacing Patches on right wing, with DD and Cole for the weekend games. What a line!

23. I remember last year when everyone was crying to trade Pleks not considering his constant flipping in and out of lines and playing every conceivable position to try and shore up a disintegrating team. He took it all in stride. I never once heard about him complaining, ‘cept for a fisticuffs with PK and then he was second in the Czech league in scoring before coming back. He should not be traded. Period. One of the few stand-up, solidly skilled, committed guys. Not a star, but certainly a solid, dependable goals scorer in the 20′s in G each year and now a veteran in the room.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

I think the Columbus BlueJackets are a team that other NHL teams will be targeting for trades. Essentially Columbus is in the market for trades like St. Louis made with Toronto, Lee Stempniak for Carlo Coliaccovo and Alex Steen.

Columbus may not always get a two for one deal, but they are definitely looking to cheaper NHL players. Columbus has 3 1st round picks this year in the draft I believe. John Davidson was in St. Louis when Eller was drafted by them. I wonder if a 1st could be pried away from them with Eller.

Edit: It would be a package type deal, no way Columbus trades their own pick, and Eller is worth more I think than the Rangers 1st Round Pick.

• Clay says:

I don’t think there is any way Eller will net us a first round pick. Here’s hoping I’m wrong!

__________________________
      ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

To a team like Columbus they get an immediate serviceable NHL Player at a nice cap hit. Plus JD is probably a big fan of Ellers. I am not sold on trading Eller, just spitballing the trade idea.

• Kooch7800 says:

Could be a possibility. I personally want to see what Eller can do.I think it is a little early yet though.

In saying that Columbus would have a decent first round pick and that could help us build for the future if they don’t think he is going to pan out.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

25. RiverviewCanadien says:

Not sure if folks have seen this yet…but that’s one Ref who takes no beef from a player!

26. piper says:

In my opinion this team has 4 centres in the lineup that are second line centres with one potentially first liner.
    Knowing that the possibility of going far in the playoffs this year is very slim MB needs to trade one.
    DD for now can be our the #1.
    Galchenyk or Eller could be #2 and 3.
    Plek has been playing well and could bring a young big tough winger from a team looking for a top 2 centre.
    I just dont think we can keep this many centres of this quality when we need a big tough winger.

• SmartDog says:

You really think the team would be BETTER without Plekanec?

I think you’re gonna have trouble selling that one.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• 123456 says:

i agree with the furry smart animal. if DD puts together a string of pints maybe he could be trade bait…. but in reality what do the habs have (non winger) that would return a top winger? (price, pk, chucky, maybe emilin.)

• Habfan17 says:

This season they wouldn’t be, but if they make the right trade and with the prospects they now have, they would be for many years.
        Loyalty is great but it comes at a price in the NHL. If your only goal is winning and you can move one asset for one or two others that would give you a better chance at winning, then that is what you need to do.

I admire the Sens for keeping Alfi all these years, however, a few of years ago when they could have gotten some pieces that would give them a better chance, then they may have a cup by now.

Habfan17

• BJ says:

Who would you suggest? Pleky would be hard to replace.

• Habfan17 says:

I agree! I made the suggestion of trading Pleks to Anaheim for Ryan who would fit that 2nd line left wing spot. I would hate to lose Pleks but you need to give something good to get something good. I would add Kristo in the deal, possibly Weber and then have Anaheim add a 4th round pick.

Habfan17

• RiverviewCanadien says:

There is no way Plekanec is traded, way too valuable to this team. And for crying out loud, he was drafted by the Habs and has been in the system his entire career. He knows what it is to be a Montreal Canadien.

If any centers are traded, it will be Eller or DD.

• Habfan17 says:

If Anaheim would take DD, Kristo and Weber for Ryan, I would be vety happy, I just don’t see many teams wanting DD based on one season.

Habfan17

• ed lopaz says:

DD has very little trade value until he has another solid NHL season.

Who is Eller?

If the Habs have not established a clear role for him at the NHL level, Eller’s value in a trade is also minimal.

• Steeltown Hab says:

We need at least 1 vet down the middle. It’s tempting to move Pleks based on return but you’d be killing the season and leaning too much on Galchenyuk.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Habfan17 says:

You make a very good point.

Habfan17

• piper says:

I agree, but I’m looking at about two years down the road when we should be able to compete. I’d also look at dealing Markov right now when his value is high. But I’m one of the minority here that don’t think the Habs are a contener yet.

• Steeltown Hab says:

They’re not a contender, but vets play a big part in the development of youth. You throw a bunch of 18-20 year olds out there together and it’s a zoo. Also gotta teach guys how the win, etc. A competitive team albeit not a cup contender is always good for development IMO.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• GoGioGo says:

Ok, you trade Markov now. Then you go tell PK he’s not our #1 def yet and that he was not ready to get all the $$$ he was asking for less than 2 weeks ago. Tell me how that conversation turns out, okay ?

27. habstrinifan says:

Dont know where my post re the OT/Shootout went. Please indulge me as I repost here.

Habsrule1 suggestion was:
    “Go to 5 minute 4 on 4, then a 5 minute 3 on 3. Shootouts will be so rare after that, it would be easier to swallow.”

I like with the following modification.

5 min 4/4… coach can use any players.

TWO 5 min periods 3/3 but coach must use all players including backup goalie.. details can be worked out.

Then shootout.

Win in any overtime period you get 3 points and lose you get 1 point. So teams will play/coach to win and would still have a consolation point for gaving ‘played to win’ if they lose.

Win in shootout and you get 1 single point and lose and you get 0 points. So as you see the rewards are really weighted to favour the aggressive go for the win in the OT’S. And the mandate that the entire bench must be used and that the backup goalie must be played too is pure hockey excitement for the fans/ and boards.

• Loonie says:

Good luck getting coaches to use all of their players in ten minutes of overtime.

• habstrinifan says:

As I said details can be worked out but aim is to enforce coaches use their bench. could say no player gets double shift etc.. And wouldnt it really add value to your backup goalie spot on the team.
        I think the NHLPA would love this.

• Loonie says:

You’re a dreamer(not an insult).

• 123456 says:

i like your out of hte box thinking but the NHL wants to expand the game is this would add a level of confusion to the casual fan.

i think we leave as is – the only change i would consider is 3 points for a regulation win. but even that i think most years if you reallocate points the standing are similar.

28. Loonie says:

It’s interesting to see people’s opinions about where the current edition of the Habs are at.

I was aboard the tank train last year(sorry Dave) but will admit that with three lines contributing scoring consistently and a top four group of defensemen in Markov, Emelin, Gorges and Subban and Price behind them. I see no reason to chase a cup if things are working.

I wouldn’t be trading picks or prospects for immediate help but I don’t see a team this group can’t beat in a seven game series if things are going well and its healthy.

• Phil C says:

I think they are good enough in net and on defense if everyone stays healthy. The fourth line is as good as any. The two biggest weaknesses are top nine scoring and depth. Bourque has been a pleasant surprise. The Gally line has also been a surprise but it may be different once teams have scouting reports on them and make adjustments. But the top two lines need to get it going.

As well, if there are any injuries in the top nine, there is not much on the farm.

There was some discussion this morning about which Habs might be trade bait at the deadline. I think it’s important to consider the players who have another year left on their contracts (Gionta, Kaberle, Cole and Moen). Will teams want to pick them up knowing they have to take on major 2013-14 salary with a cap that’s dropping 6M?

I think the only experienced players who might get traded would by Bouillon or Armstrong. You’re not going to get much back for those two. Kids who might be on the block would be Weber or White. Once again, not much return.

30. WTF happened on Wednesday with Ottawa? I had to turn the feed off and I haven’t read anything since. I guess I was believing that something was clicking and then the habs just seemed to be junior skaters with cement on their feet against … the big bad Senators? Really? So is this what we are going to be treated to where the Habs are just a mirage and will get shiite on whenever another team with cahones feels like it needs to? It can’t be on Budaj. Can it be the defense was so poor that it couldn’t carry the puck out… ugh! Just was sick.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Mattyleg says:

Don’t stress.
      We can’t win every game.
      If you were reading the articles that HI/O was posting during the lockout, you’ll see that the Habs lost plenty of games in 92-93, and some of them were blowouts.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• I know Matty. It was just brutal to watch us come to pieces like a cheap Yugo in it’s day. Last year was also brutal to watch, so one game where the tires come off doesn’t make a season, but Oy! I grew up in the 70′s and 80′s and was treated to Lafleur, Lapointe, Robinson, Savard (spin’o rama), Naslund, Yvon and la gang. Every night (with few exceptions) they were in it. Always made opponents stand on their heels. All I can hope is that bergevin wants the same thing back.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I understand.

But we’d need to have inept teams like LA and the Seals to give us players like Lafleur, and an NHL that isn’t obsessed with ‘parity’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Phil C says:

It will never be like the 70′s and 80′s again because of the salary cap. It is practically impossible to build dynasty. Look what happened to the 2010 Blackhawks. Parity is the new paradigm.

31. Habfan17 says:

On a different note, When the Ghost traded Halak, he also got Ian Shultz. In an interview after the trade, Shultz said he didn’t want to just be a throw in and wanted to be a Lucic type player for the Habs.

I have read that he doesn’t seem to be committed to being in shape. Does anyone know more about what is going on with him? Maybe he needs to train with either Patches or Subban in the off season.

Habfan17

32. Gerry H says:

In reply to Tom:

Regardless of the team’s record, there will have been an evaluation of Eller’s role, which might well put him on the block. Likewise, I assume that there is a constant eye out for possible Kaberle takers.

If the season has truly gone South, I’m looking for building blocks, not key missing pieces. Other than the above two, I’m not sure who other than Bourque might fetch more in prospects than they are themselves worth to the Habs. If Eller hasn’t proven himself a viable top six guy, then I see no reason to feel the need to squeeze out Plekanec. Though I’m not as perturbed by his slow start as some, Desharnais might also draw some investing offers, but that would be a move with marketing implications that might get in the way.

• Steeltown Hab says:

I’d definitely rather keep Eller than DD going forward but I’d have to think Eller’s trade value is higher based on potential alone.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Hobie Hansen says:

Morning Gerry! I agree with some of your post but trading Kaberle is absolutely impossible! There is not one team in the NHL that would trade for Kaberle. They’d be better off bringing up a rookie from the minors with a tad of offensive flair than Kaberle, because he shouldn’t even be playing in the NHL anymore. Especially ay $4.5 mill. He doesn’t deserve $1 million!

And trade Bourque? He’s been our best forward so far or at least among them.

In terms of Desharnais and Eller, flip a coin and send one of them packing! We got ripped off and received far too less for Halak, that’s for sure!

• Loonie says:

We got ripped off for Halak?

The goalie market was a joke when he was moved. Niemi and Boucher were the Stanley Cup goaltenders in the preceding playoffs.

We got a first round pick for a goalie we had to move.

• ed lopaz says:

Eller was more then a 1st round pick when we got him. He had already completed his AHL season and proven that he was capable of putting up points (57 in 70 games) at the AHL level, in his first season at the AHL level – which is quite impressive.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Very nice.

Cammy’s helping doubly with no goals and -2 in 5 games.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habfan17 says:

With the new lottery that allows all teams a crack on the first overall pick, I wonder if the whole drafted order would be affected? Not sure how the whole thing works now. It used to be you could not move up more than 4 spots or drop more than 1.

Habfan17

• HabFanSince72 says:

The only change is that any team in the lottery can move up to #1 in the first round. However all the other teams only move down one.

In the second round there is no lottery effect.

So Calgary’s second pick will be determined only by Calgary’s final position.

To put it another way, if you finish in Nth position, you will pick first, Nth or (N+1)th in round one, and Nth in every subsequent round.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habfan17 says:

Awesome, thanks for the info! Then I hope Calgary has a tough year! I think the NHL needs to call teams for diving. Edmonton should be doing much better by now. Maybe they should limit the amount of times a team can have consecutive top 3 picks to two!

Habfan17

• Steeltown Hab says:

Never hated this deal, just always wished we got a bit more. I’d like to have a lot of former habs back but Cammy isn’t one of them. Had a great run with us and i’ll always like him as a player but it was his time to go.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

33. WindsorHab-10 says:

I thought Wayne Scanlan’s article on Subban was simply stupid. What the hell is he trying to start? A war amongst fans or a rift between Subban & his teammates? The guy held out, came to his senses & signed. Not the first player to do it nor the last. Accept it, love it & move forward.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Why is no one referring to O’Reilly as “holding out”. A hold out is when you have a deal and hold out for more money and a contract restructuring like they do in the NFL.

PK wasn’t holding out, they were in negotiations.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• habstrinifan says:

I agree. I find the term ‘holdout’ applied to Subban odd. His contract was over. Under normal market rules he would have had no obligations to this employer. Under the ‘sport world’ he was indentured to them.

34. Mattyleg says:

Morning tout le monde,
    It’s funny that there should be an article about the ‘raise the torch’ branding strategy of this season.

For those of you who have been lucky enough not to have seen it: It is absolutely brutal.

The play-in video before every game is really, really bad.

For the last few years, it’s been great, from the ’24′ imitation to the ‘heartbeat’, they’ve all been exciting pump-ups.

This year we’re treated to a very slow-tempo “Ole-ole-ole” backed by what sounds like the “strings” effect on a $80 keyboard. It’s just depressing, frankly.

It doesn’t help the atmosphere that this song is accompanied by unsmiling, self-important looking people holding torches. It’s such a downer.

THEN, we switch to the player introductions… which are inexplicably backed by a low-energy song whose only clearly discernible lyrics are “your last chance, last summer…” The song slows down even further when Markov’s highlights come up, with the lyrics coming through even more clearly. It sounds morbid and defeatist.

Now we know who thought this was a wonderful idea. Let’s hope he gets the message that he’s got to change things up for next year.

Anybody else have the distinct pleasure to see this debacle?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• 24 Cups says:

I’m kind of torn on the “raise the torch” theme. It certainly gets the emotions going but it also is a sad reminder that the Habs have fallen on tough times the past twenty years.

Maybe passing the torch will have some symbolic meaning for all of the new players coming into Montreal. Especially the young ones.

Of course in Toronto, they celebrated by having Darcy Tucker drop the opening night puck.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t mind the ‘pass the torch’ concept, that’s fine, it’s part of our heritage, and it makes sense that after the lockout the ‘torch’ of fan support is still burning.

It’s the goddamn miserable treatment of this theme in the pre-game show that drives me nuts.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

It’s based on a poem written by a Montreal physician.

There were some great poems out of world war one. That isn’t one of them.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Mattyleg says:

I know where it comes from.

And it’s not so bad, it’s an older style of poem than the pre-modernist stuff that Sassoon and Owens came out with, but one thing it has going for it is that it was written, like the ‘Star-Spangled Banner’ close to the heat of the moment, which adds to its impact.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. Loonie says:

Back to the Habs,

If you’re Bergevin and the team falls on its face over the next 25 or so games, who do you start shopping for draft picks?

• JF says:

Calgary? Washington?

• Steeltown Hab says:

Armstrong for sure maybe you sucker a team into giving up a 2nd, most likely a 3rd though.

Than other than that would depend on the value coming back, if you can pull a 1st + a quality prospect for a guy like Gionta you have to consider it. DD if he can pull a 1st.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Loonie says:

I don’t think a team in the KHL would give you a third round pick for Colby Armstrong.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Fair enough, values are inflated at the deadline though hence 1st for Gaustad.

I guess the pipedream is a team like NYR has a guy like Asham go down with an injury near the deadline want to replace and figuring they’ll get a late pick anyways would dish a 3rd and pick up Armstrong. But you’re right at this point his value isn’t a 3rd.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• RetroMikey says:

Make some trades now, I’ve said that from the getgo.
      Realistically, we are rebuilding and are not a Cup contender.
      If I were Bergevin, show some cojones and suprise other GM’s and our fans and make some trades for young prospects who will make us contenders for years to come. Now is the time, not later when other GM’s will push for trades.
      To me, this is not a season whatsoever when the schedule is reduced to 48 games.
      As for our MAx Pacioretty, I would seriously make this guy our Captain fro many years once Gionta is gone form our team.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

36. Habfan10912 says:

Sounds like we’re just about all unanimous that Scott gets one of the 3 Stars from last nigh, eh?

———————————–

37. habstrinifan says:

Scott Gomez played 12:54 minutes with the Sharks last night. He is apparently playing a checking line role with San Jose. Isnt expected to score or set up guys on top 6 line. Perfect assignment for today’s Scott Gomez. Quite a few of us here posted over the past 2 to 3 years that this should have been the role for Gomez here on the HABS.

It is relevant in light of the usage of the following players. White; Eller; Prust; Armstrong; Blunden.

The Eller case has been thoroughly discussed back and forth so no use going over it.

I thought Armstrong was gonna be a great pickup but I am wondering if we overlooked Blunden in our system for a similar role.

What is the real role of White? If it’s to be a fighter then Staubitz fitted that role better

Are we asking too much of Prust. He seems to be more useful as a utility forward than a ‘fighter’ which he seems obligated to prove every game. I think we may lose his value.

• Loonie says:

Prust is a poor man’s Steve Ott in my opinion.

• Habfan10912 says:

Interesting how Prust is now in a role of protecting the kids. Thus far he hasn’t looked out of place there. He was the energy guy for the Ranger’s last year so this IS a new role for him. Kind of fun to watch them together though, isn’t it?

———————————–

• CanadienBoy says:

I think White is a Purst in the making and Purst is the best agitator we have since Nilan who can score goal ,kill penalty and fight all in one night

• Steeltown Hab says:

White is like a is the perfect 4th liner, he’s a really good skater knows how to crash and bang and isn’t reliant on dropping the gloves even though he will from time to time. No doubt he’s better for us than Staubitz.

Might fit better on the wing but I’m shocked at how well he’s held down the 4LC considered he wasn’t playing during the lockout, injuries etc.
      ———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Loonie says:

White only looks like a good skater because he’s with Armstrong and Moen.

• habstrinifan says:

Sorry I dont see Whit as a good skater. And if you watch his hits (please do) and Blunden’s hits, you may find that although White’s hits look more like ‘big hits’, Blunden actually takes out the player from the flow much better and cleaner. It is a very noticaeable difference.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Scott Gomez in a checking role?

My abiding memory of Gomez last year is of him finally catching up with his man in the Montreal zone just as he was raising his stick in celebration.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

38. Habfan10912 says:

Another reason why I dislike the 3 point system. The Devils. they’re not the only ones, play a “keep the other team from scoring” style and our often rewarded for this by that extra point. The record thus far. 3-0-3. So the Devils have lost 3 games but have been rewarded with 3 points for those defeats. The system is encouraging the boring Devil style of play IMO. A bigger reward for a regulation win would go a long way in discouraging the play for a tie strategy, wouldn’t it?

———————————–

• Loonie says:

I prefer just eliminating the loser or tying point if you prefer completely.

2 points for a win, 0 points for a loss.

• Habfan10912 says:

———————————–

• Habsrule1 says:

The only way I’d agree with that is if they got rid of the shootout. It’s ridiculous to think you lost a point or points because of a skills competition.

Go Habs Go!!

• Loonie says:

I’m not a fan of the shootout and wouldn’t have any problem with that.

I don’t see baseball games go to a homerun derby after one extra inning or football games go to a 19 yard field goal contest.

• Habsrule1 says:

My thoughts exactly.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mattyleg says:

I hate the shootout too.
            It’s because Betty’s an American, and Americans don’t like the idea of a draw. I have no problem with a draw, with the teams splitting the points.

Problem with the idea of 4-4 and 3-3 is that it exhausts the players, and with such heavy schedules, they run a higher risk of getting injured.

Coaches are going to put their best players out in those situations, and they are the ones who, having probably already played more than anyone else during the game, will get exhausted, which leads to injury.

Baseball isn’t a good comparison because it’s not as physically demanding, which is why they can play so long. Cricketers play for five days straight.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• The Cat says:

At worst, I could live with the shootout if there isnt a loser point. Penalty kicks in soccer have a dramatic effect when a lot is on the line. But for regular season hockey games with 1 point on the line, its a bit boring. But the NHL is in the business of keeping the most teams in playoff races as long as they can, so nothings gonna change.

• JF says:

I can’t stand the shootout as a way of deciding games, but unfortunately it is so universal that I think it’s here to stay. What is absurd in the NHL is that shootout wins only sort of count as wins, since they are deducted from total wins when it comes to playoff seeding. So we have a system in which you win, lose, or sort of win – the only way the Devils’ boring style could come back to bite them.

• habstrinifan says:

Great analysis.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

That’s why hockey doesn’t excite a lot of people. It rewards losing teams which makes no sense. Devils are 3-0-3 & are introduced as undefeated in regulation which is BS. They are 3-3 which tells me they won 3 & lost 3, case closed.

39. Curtis O Habs says:

The headline ‘Subban sideshow irked teammates’ is very inflammatory. The only mention of this is one line about the topic getting an ‘icy reception’ in the dressing room. Nice journalism. Being irked by repeated questions on the topic by smut journalists is what received the ‘icy reception’.

40. Loonie says:

Marcus Allen’s “running with the night” play is TSN’s #7 Superbowl play of all-time?

I swear they live on pissing people off.

Also I have no idea how John Riggins’ run against the Dolphins didn’t make that list. Or Scott Norwood’s missed field goal.

• Habfan10912 says:

Scott Norwood’s miss is my #2. :) Sorry habfan0.

———————————–

• Loonie says:

Also, I’m a Packers fan and Desmond Howard’s kick return for a td has no business on that list. The Saints onside kick at half-time against the Colts should probably be top 5.

• habstrinifan says:

Have you seen the NFL film where they highlighted the top running backs or some similar category (maybe the most punishing runner or meanest SOB runner). Riggins was a beast. Underrated in most discussions.

41. Habfan10912 says:

The Coyote saga continues.

———————————–

Morning Jim, this story may never die.

• Loonie says:

Sure it will. Much like moderate owners having to get involved to end the lockout, I’m sure it will take the wealthy owners and owners of teams requiring a bigger piece of revenue sharing getting involved to end this circus in Phoenix.

The teams at the lower end of the scale would benefit immediately from having the financial boon of a new franchise in a better market than Phoenix and the wealthy teams would benefit from having one less team qualifying for revenue sharing.

Everybody involved other than Phoenix itself wins the day that team is moved. The commitment to that location is one of the silliest things in Sports.

Not sure if you saw my comment earlier, but I truly believe the threat of a lawsuit by Moyes (perhaps backed by Balsillie) is what is preventing the franchise from moving.

Moyes lost a boatload of money in Phoenix, as a way to recoup his losses he tried to sell the franchise and allow it to move. The NHL told him the franchise could not be moved (for a variety of reasons), this prevented him from selling the franchise for much more money.

If now the NHL deems it is okay to move the franchise, he has a lawsuit on his hands which Bettman will have a hard time winning. This lawsuit would then also open the door for other teams to start looking at selling and moving without NHL approval per se.

• Loonie says:

I don’t know about the litigation concerns. If they were that concerned about it Craig Leopold wouldn’t have put himself in danger of an Antitrust lawsuit by participating as a hardline owner in negotiations after signing Suter and Parise to monstrous contracts.

• HardHabits says:

But, but… if Phoenix fails how will they ever get that franchise in Las Vegas?

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Gerald. I was thinking that from a future worth of the franchise someone would buy the Coyotes, eat a lot of money for a couple years, then move the franchise to say Toronto, Quebec City, or some other market hot for hockey and viola, your franchise value doubles, triples?

———————————–

The movement of the franchise is the key issue, and I don’t actually believe it is tied to the TV contract, this is just Bettman covering his ass from a lawsuit.

• Loonie says:

Relocation fee is set on an independent basis but I believe it hovers somewhere around $200 million. That franchise couldn’t be worth $50 million today.

Okay, love watching the little video with MB and MT talking to Galchenyuk. Now can we get that video redone with PG and JM having the same message to deliver and see how it would go?

• Loonie says:

Haha. But Gainey or Gauther would have NEVER kept Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Wasn’t that the theme of the day after it was learned they were sticking?

Never mind that neither has ever had a third overall pick or that Gallagher was a pick under Gainey’s leadership.

• Habfan10912 says:

If memory serves me correct, Gallagher who was very impressive in camp last year, was poo pooed by Martin. Martin implying that the reason he looked good was because he was playing against other teams inferior players. Galchenyuk? My wife who knows nothing about hockey would have kept him. :)

———————————–

• Loonie says:

To be fair on Gallagher, it is highly unlikely that he was ready last season and would probably admit as much himself.

• neumann103 says:

The way I looked at this in September 2011 was
            “Is Gallagher performing as one of the top 12 forwards in Training Camp/PreSeason?”
            and
            “Is it the right decision to send himback to Junior?”

And the answer to both of these questions was yes.

To my mind, Gallagher “made the team” on merit but his development was much better served by playing another year in the WHL.

“Et le but!”

43. Loonie says:

The Canucks are apparently still upset about Duncan Keith’s elbow on Sedin.

Funny that what goes around comes around. Without even thinking about this incident I mentioned just a minute ago the lack of accountability on their end from Raffi Torres nearly decapitating Brent Seabrook a couple of years ago.

After that incident every Canuck within ten feet of Keith wanted nothing to do with him but now they want revenge? Going to be a funny game to watch tonight.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Blackhawks blow them out.

So wonder how Shane Doan feels this morning. DIdn’t he have a sitdown with Greg Jamison before signing his contract, under the guise of assurances from Jamison that team would be fine in Phoenix? Still think the team stays there as Bettman and company face a big lawsuit from Jerry Moyes, the minute the NHL allows the franchise to move, which Moyes was arguing through his filing for bankruptcy.

• Loonie says:

This is a situation where Doan can’t be blaming anyone else in my opinion.

Would you trust a potential owner handpicked by the BOG? If Jamison’s potential ownership persuaded Doan to stay, he’s a fool for it and has nobody to blame but himself in my opinion. Still feel bad for him but it’s on him.

45. Loonie says:

Pretty funny that Thornton eats a right hand, goes down like a bag of hammers and the analyst says he lost an edge……..yeah okay.

• The Cat says:

Homerism is everywhere. HNIC does the same for Price albeit in a more subtle way.

• Clay says:

He (the announcer) is kind of senile though – and when he saw the replay he changed his tune a little, saying Thornton won’t be happy with that fight.

__________________________

Just an FYI on John Scott’s stats for the night.

John Scott’s stat line? Twenty seven seconds of ice time. Seven penalty minutes. Two shifts. One shot. Zero punches received.

Priceless.

• Loonie says:

I’ll say this for Thornton. He’s at least somewhat accountable. They’re still a gutless group collectively for going after Hamrlik and Spacek but it’s more I can say for Raffi Torres.

I recall the Blackhawks dressing Scott to fight Torres after his cheap shot on Brent Seabrook in the playoffs a couple of years ago and Torres refusing. Then Duncan Keith tried to fight anybody who was willing by flying around the ice, taking cheap shots on players and offer fights to no avail.

If I were Torres I’d never want to play the Blackhawks again. Considering what he did to Hossa last season. I’d say he’s got a huge target on him now.

Thornton may be nearing the end of his career, he has been an excellent 4th line player for Boston, he can actually skate a fairly regular shift. John Scott has absolutely zero to offer a team except what he did last night.

Not a fan of Scott as he isn’t a hockey player, but as long as he is beating up Bruins, I am okay with it. :)

You and me both pal.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Agreed.

And if that makes me a hypocrite – so be it.

Another thing. If Claude Julien had been in Lindy Ruff’s position you know he’d have sent Scott out with 10 seconds remaining and the score 7-4.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

47. Bash says:

As we all know Boston has gooned its way to too many wins. The league has clearly demonstrated that they are unwilling or unable to prevent thuggery leading to serious injury. The Lucic hit on Miller was the last straw for Buffalo and so Scott was brought in. BINGO! He stayed in the game after pummelling Thornton and was a deterrent for Lucic, Mcquaid etc. for the rest of the night. Ruff puts him on the ice for the last 15 seconds to underline the statement.

Our response to Pac’s near death experience was feeble.
    If Thornton has a concussion he may be out for a while and his career as a goon might be over. But do we have someone to face Lucic? Do we have someone to face Chara?

In the seventies Montreal teams faced a similar threat from Phiily. I remember one game in particular where Bowman started the game with
    Savard and Lapointe on the wings and I think Bouchard and Lupien? (help me with this someone) on defence. The gauntlet was thrown down and for me it was the signal that we would take no more.

I would like to see fighting eliminated from the game! But even with so much awareness of brain injury players are still willing to deliberately target the head and hit from behind.

We need one more sheriff in our lineup.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• The Cat says:

While it might be nice to have a John Scott, I dont believe this edition will let itself be humiliated like before. Maybe Prust cant KO the big guys, he’ll at least show up. And Im 100% sure Therrien won’t preach to ‘not retaliate and take the powerplay’ like JM who would glue someone to the bench for such a thing.

• Bash says:

Agreed! But Prust is much smaller than Lucy and a beat down will not solve that problem. I do believe that we are we are set up to deal with most of the nasty little plicks in their lineup though.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• habsnyc says:

It was Chartraw at center on a line with Bouchard and perhaps Gainey in the third game of the finals in 1976 against the Flyers, in Philadelphia. Lupien was not with the team. Pierre Bouchard scored the game winner. Their line was very effective. Larry Robinson has a long description of the game in his autobiography.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

48. Marc10 says:

I just watched yet another replay of John Scott pounding the snot out of Thornton and I can’t get the smile off my face.

Vanek’s ass kicking master class is just icing on the sundae.

Nice of the Sabres to perform this valuable community service…

• The Cat says:

Exactly, somebody in the division had to find an answer to the Bruins intimidating ways. If you take away a teams mojo, they aint nothing.

49. Cal says:

With all the posts this week regarding Eller, I can’t help but weigh in:

50. BJ says:

I don’t want to start another Subban controversy but how would a Subban for Nugent-Hopkins trade sound?

51. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

trade kaberle to buffalo for john scott

• Habilis says:

Yep I’ll admit to being impressed on this one. I was among those who said that there was no possible way he’d be back in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed, but it looks like I was wrong.

Kid’s a freak.

52. Habilis says:

So what’s with the Islanders trying to steal our thunder as the most improved team in the east? They outlasted Jersey tonight. Are they for real?

• commandant says:

John Tavares is becoming a superstar like Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, etc…. I’d love to see him with a great winger beside him.

Not sure if they are for real as a team, but I know he is.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Good Habit says:

Not sure if you’ve noticed, but there is this guy named Matt Moulson…

• commandant says:

Yes Matt Moulson has scored 30 goals the last two years, but how much is Moulson and how much is Tavares?

Moulson was a career AHLer who failed with multiple organizations before landing on that wing.

Similar to the story of PA Parenteau.

I remember a guy named Rob Brown who once scored 49 playing with Mario, and fell apart when taken away.

53. SmartDog says:

Sabres beat the Bruins 7-4 after trailing 3-1. Scott knocks Thorton out of the game. Next to the Habs winning, that’s about as good a game result as it gets.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

54. dhenry1234 says:

Who was it that said Max Pac would be out less than two weeks? Oh yeah that’s right. It was me :)

55. Jimmy9Toes says:

I just watched the fight between Thorton and Scott on you tube and i almost vomitted listening to the Boston announcers call the fight. After Scott punches Thorton in the head about 10 times, Thorton goes down and idiot announcer says, “looks like thorton lost an edge and fell down”.

56. MikeHabs says:

Can’t wait for Subban to get back in the line up. Adds a whole different gear for this team.

twitter: @Mike_Habs

57. parkex says:

Austria 5 ‘Ruins 4

58. Kooch7800 says:

Reimers rebounds are unreal
    “Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bill says:

RE: Washington

I am not saying it’s all coaching, but still … as for the real Ovechkin, maybe he’ll emerge when Oates puts him on a line with some players, instead of this idiotic Beagle/Crabb/Ovechkin line he’s got going, lol.

Full Breezer 4 Life

59. otter649 says:

Five points for Vanek & I believe the second time this season other time against Flyers. Last 4 seasons I took him in my hockey pool & this season I took someone else Dman Tyler Myers……

60. HabFanSince72 says:

John Scott time.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

61. mdp2011 says:

Haha, Ruff calls timeout with 13 seconds left and up by 3 .

62. Bill says:

How long until Adam Oates gets canned?

Full Breezer 4 Life

63. HabFanSince72 says:

Nice goal by Vanek. Sabres take it.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

64. Bill says:

OMG, Vanek’s hat trick goal … what a beaut.

Full Breezer 4 Life

65. frontenac1 says:

Wow! Vanek hat trick 5pt night! Bruins are done

66. punkster says:

Rask lost his undies on that one. 6-4 Sabres.

***SUBBANG BABY!!!***

67. jols101 says:

Vanek 5 point night. Wow, what a player.

68. Bash says:

Thornton is obviously concussed…”live by the sword”.
    But I have to admit I am not heartbroken. Okay who is next?
    Mcquaid? Lucic?

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

69. Bill says:

Wow, the Capitals suck.

Full Breezer 4 Life

70. Mattyleg says:

Sportsnet announcer just called James Van Riemsdyk “JVR”.

It’s a wonder I don’t watch this channel more often…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

71. Say Ash says:

Not able to watch the Sabres/Bruins game tonight – do we stand a chance against either?

72. mdp2011 says:

Wow, just turned on the Bruins game and all I can say is please show the girl in the 24 sweater in the Sabres zone more often.

73. punkster says:

Br00ns score, then Sabres tie it again…and Bergeron back after going out holding his shoulder.

***SUBBANG BABY!!!***