Convicted Boston mobster wants to keep Habs Stanley Cup ring: report

James “Whitey” Bulger, a mobster who terrorized South Boston in the 1970s and ’80s as head of the Winter Hill Gang, was found guilty Monday in a Boston court of gangland crimes, including 11 murders. The 83-year-old faces a sentence of life in prison with sentencing set for Nov. 13.

(In courtroom sketch above, prosecutor Fred Wyshak, standing, speaks during closing arguments in the trial of Bulger, right, at U.S. District Court in Boston).

In another development to the story, the CBS affiliate in Boston reported that Bulger waived his right to have the jury decide whether he must forfeit $822,000 in cash, along with guns and personal possessions found in his Santa Monica hideaway when he was captured in June 2011 after 16 years on the run. The report added that in a court filing released Monday it was revealed Bulger wants to hold onto one special item: a 1986 Canadiens Stanley Cup ring. The ring still remains in government possession and there’s no guarantee Bulger will get it back.

The CBS report stated: “The ring is believed to have once belonged to former Hab Chris ‘Knuckles’ Nilan, who was once married to the daughter of Bulger’s ex-girlfriend Teresa Stanley.”

The Boston Globe reported that Bulger paid for the wedding of Nilan and Karen Stanley. The marriage ended in divorce.

Reached by text message Monday night, Nilan told The Gazette he had no comment on the reports out of Boston, adding that his father still has his Stanley Cup ring.

When Nilan was a guest on the Hockey Inside/Out show last season, he told the story about how he gave his Stanley Cup ring to his father and that when former Habs general manager Serge Savard found out, he had another one made for Nilan. You can watch that video by clicking here.

(Courtroom sketch: AP Photo/Jane Flavell Collins)

Bulger found guilty of gangland crimes, including 11 slayings (with video), montrealgazette.com

Bulger wants to keep Stanley Cup ring, Boston Globe

Convicted mobster out to keep Stanley Cup ring, SI.com

Stanley Cup coming to Chateauguay on Sept. 2 with Hawks’ Crawford, Stu on Sports

16-year-old junior prospect collapses during tryout and dies, montrealgazette.com

1. myron.selby says:

@Timo – I’m really curious about something. I don’t mean any disrespect and I’m not trying to be offensive, I’m genuinely interested and would love a serious answer.

I’ve been on this site regularly for 2 1/2 years now. In all that time I can’t recall a single positive post from you about any aspect of the team.

Regardless of how well they were playing last year, you were always waiting for the other shoe to drop. You seem to dislike most of the players, can’t stand the coach and dismiss the GM and anything he’s done.

While most posters on here were ranging from cautious optimism to ecstatic celebration of the team’s turnaround last season, you dwelt on every negative you could find.

So my questions are:

– is there anything about this team you do like?
    – if you are so disgusted by every aspect of team, why do you cheer for them?
    – since you don’t seem to get any joy out of anything associated with the Habs, what do you get out of following the team?

As I said, these are serious questions. I don’t think you’re a troll or trying to get a rise out of people, you just seem to look for the cloud behind the silver lining in anything related to the Habs, and I just don’t understand why you bother.

2. Chris says:

Team owners don’t break trade news, and Lemieux has a great relationship with Shero so he wouldn’t want to kneecap his GM like that.

Mario’s “big announcement” will have nothing to do with the team on the ice. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

(And yes, I would trade Malkin for Subban straight up. Subban is good. Malkin is a generational talent.)

• Luke says:

Oh, no doubt. It’ll be a big announcement only to those involved.

It’ll be a community project, like a new rink, or charity event or sponsorship/partnership.
      Maybe a special promotion like an all access fantasy camp…

But in no way is it going to directly involve the team or players.

Unless its another outdoor game. (Though with the way things are going, an indoor game could be a ‘big announcement’).

• Ian Cobb says:

He is definitely a professional Chris and would not take the GM’s announcements away from him, unless he fired the GM or an ownership announcement. But it sure has me puzzled!

• Chris says:

Isn’t it funny that Gretzky, as an owner, couldn’t stop himself from getting involved in day-to-day operations of the team, eventually getting himself hired as the Coyotes coach, while the “anti-Gretzky” has been content to largely stay in the background?

Lemieux has been a fantastic owner in the NHL. He’s let his hockey people do their jobs, while chipping in when necessary (letting Crosby live with him for example, or working with his young stars on how to deal with growing up in the NHL).

Super Mario does not get nearly enough credit for his own grace and class, unfortunately.

3. Sportfan says:

I didn’t know Nilan lived in Dorval! I haven’t seen him around yet that bums me out!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

4. Richard B says:

Why would we trade PK for anyone even Malkin?
    I’d rather keep PK! He is better each year and won the Norris last year?
    Only reason to deal him is if there is internal relationship shit going on that we don’t know about.
    Only way I’d move Subban is if Crosby is coming to Mtl. I don’t see that happening. Not until he is 35 and on the down swing anyway.

Richard B

5. habstrinifan says:

WOW!
    Look at this story on TSN.CA.

Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin’s father Vladimir offered up some candid comments on his son’s NHL tenure this week, including a suggestion that another team was interested in his services. In an interview with Russian website SovSport translated by Dmitry Chesnokov of Yahoo! Sports, the elder Malkin said that the Dallas Stars offered Evgeni more money than the Penguins this summer. Full Story.”

Maybe Ian’s on to something.

• Maritime Ron says:

In the SovSport interview, Vladimir Malkin added that Evgeni told him, “if there was ever the case where I have to leave the Penguins, I would rather choose the New York Rangers or the Montreal Canadiens.”

• Cal says:

I’m sure it’s this line in the article that has you intrigued, trini:

Can it be Malkin is heading to Habland? Or is this all just a midsummer night’s dream and Puck is pulling the strings?

6. habstrinifan says:

What if Mario Lemieux’s big news that we are acquiring Letang and Neal for P.K Subban?

Any takers?

Edit… update to rumour. It’s P.K and Eller for Letang, Neal, and Pascal Lupuis. Why else would TSN have a picture of P.K and Eller … see TSN.CA.

Meanwhile, Mario Tremblay and Patrick Roy still haven’t spoken.

Mario just posted this notice. I am not sure what he is up to.
    I sent him back a note asking if he was coming out of retirement for a spot on the 3rd line.

Mario Lemieux
    Big announcement coming later this week!

• Timo says:

He is replacing DD. Even a 100 year old Mario is better than Desharnais.

• Ian Cobb says:

There will be some surprises at our camp this year. Both kids and vets alike.
        Everyone will have to be on the top of their game next month, to keep their spot on the roster.

• habstrinifan says:

I wish I could believe you Ian. I keep asking people to look back at MT’s year and how he used his players and convince me of any indications that he would allow this ‘fight for spots’ that you see. I wish it were true.

BIG Edit: I share your viewpoint Timo. I think MT will be true to his words again, “I am going to coach this team thru Gionta and the veterans”.
          Expect the following:

Defense: Markov to be 1 and all pairings to depend on satisfying him first..(rememebr Weber’s first full game and first 10 mins of game against NJ… it was Markov/Weber as #1 D pairing).

Offense:Hey GIO can you walk? Gime a hug! You’re playing… both shed ‘feel good tears’ together.

• Timo says:

I respect Ian but what he says… ain’t happening. All the vets are guaranteed their spots. Kids will play only if (actually when) vets get injured. MT’s meritocracy is BS.

• Timo says:

Oh… and thanks for reminding me that Therrien is still the coach. Argh.

• Cal says:

Malkin to the KHL? Crosby retires? Fleury flung from a high point? Pens moving to Quebec City?
      Whatever can it be?
      C’mon, people. Speculate!!

• habstrinifan says:

It had to happen. Mario is posting that with the hire of Jacques Martin, the Pittsburg Arena shall now be called the Pittsburgh Hockey Morgue.

9. Bill says:

Lafleurguy: Pacioretty actually had a good season despite Desharnais’s slip in production.

10. Sportfan says:

Newest article up Best retired Cuban Ball Players

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

11. Sportfan says:

I feel as though they should give the ring back to Nilan.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

I have that bad feeling that Habs lineup is what it is now. Hardly inspires any confidence. Sigh. Le plus ca change…

13. frontenac1 says:

@luke. You speak the truth amigo.

14. bwoar says:

Bizarre news about the SC ring. Somewhat shameful, but eh, in a world where a KGB crook can nick a guy’s Superbowl ring and just walk away and laugh in his vodka, it’s hardly shocking that an old Cup ring would turn up someplace seedy.

“thoroughbred”

15. frontenac1 says:

@burly. What makes a great Saloon? Everyone has their own ideas amigo,its a personal thing,like women. Saludos!

• Luke says:

@Front & Burly

Aside from the obvious things… like foxy ladies, a great saloon is made by the attendees.

Mine has people from multi-generations that hang out together. Literally 20yr olds having regular beers with 80yr olds. The place didn’t have a TV screen in it for the first 10years or so that it was open. Kind of made everyone have to entertain each other. So they all chat and tell stories, and become friends.
      (we watched the Olympic Gold medal game on a 32″ TV that someone brought from home and plunked at the end of the bar. It was awesome).
      It’s funny, my father (Or the “afternoon shift” as we call him) in his early 70s, goes and plays golf with some of the 20 somethings from time to time.

You can show up by yourself, but you are never there alone.

That’s a good pub.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That sounds like the Cock & Bull to me. I was a young punk who worked with a bunch of other uni kids at the Ritz, we parked cars, mostly evenings and weekends. The weekdays there were some lifers there who had those shifts covered. There was one guy, Armand, who looked like a character from “Barfly”, snow-white hair, thick glasses and droopy pants forever threatening to fall down below his no-ass, anyway, we thought he’d done some hard living. He was very soft-spoken, but once in a while, he’d throw out a zinger that would floor us.

Eg: the Canadiens lost another game, and it looks like they’ll soon be bounced from the series. We’re having a lively discussion, and Armand approaches, finds out about the loss, and pipes up, softly: “Maudit, j’avais besoin d’un manteau…” (Darn, I needed a new coat, a reference to the ’86 ‘riot’, which was an organized looting opportunity for a large proportion of the ‘fans’ there).

If things weren’t going smoothly at work, we couldn’t find a car or claim check or whatever, he’d approach and say to the culprit: “Don’t f*** around Steve, buy a round.”

Anyway, one night we’re cruising around, and for some reason instead of ending up on St-Laurent or St-Denis or Crescent, we enter the Cock & Bull, and there sitting at a table by himself is Armand, but he’s got the barmaid in stitches. We pull up chairs, and Armand is even funnier when he can openly drink, as opposed to just a swig here and there at work to keep the shakes under control. We have a great night, some regulars straggle in, and he introduces us to everyone, and normally we might act like we don’t want to meet these guys, like we’re above that, but we’re actually really glad to have this in.

After that, whenever we were at work with Armand, he was clocking out and we’d just started, we’d ask him: “Cock & Bull à soir?”, and he’d nod and confirm: “Cock & Bull, ‘stie.” And it was the best, we were allowed behind the curtain, we could drink with the mayor of the place and/or his minions, they would treat us like equals instead of the snotnosed kids we were. Many times we’d go there for a pre-drink before Scaramouche or L’Annexe, but never actually leave, we’d close down the place.

———————————————————————–
        … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake..–Bill Simmons

• Luke says:

That’s great.

I am a firm believer that everyone needs a local.

Drinker or not, whether a cafe or a bar or bistro… everyone needs a place where a cross section of society passes through. And everyone should say hello to the person next to them…

It’d probably solve a lot of problems…

My story is similar to yours in that it started out as a gathering spot for the Fri/Sat club sessions, and very soon, it was where I met my buddies before they went bar hopping and where I was once they finished.

• habstrinifan says:

True story.. in the Trinidad of my youth (18 to 22) a saloon was no place for women. Nothing sexist or anything. Just any woman in a saloon was likely to be … well you can figure it out.

We called them ‘rum shops’. And that’s what they were. Licensed places to get drunk and brawl. No guns or knives etc. Just plain ol brawls. Wont be allowed in today’s ‘civilised’ world but many a boy grew up to be a man in our ‘rumshops’.

I never knew of ‘pubs’ until I hit Canada. Still find them weird places.

I liked my ‘rumshops’.

• Timo says:

Habs need at least another brawler, Trin. You should apply.

• bwoar says:

I would visit your rumshops any day. Sounds like my kind of place, I find pubs kinda tame and clubs kinda lame. A little punch up to go with the rum & cokes livens the affair – after, it ain’t ice hockey! Some of the best lifelong friendships are made in the moments directly after squaring off with a fellow drunk. I miss the world that allowed that to happen.

“thoroughbred”

• Un Canadien errant says:

We used to have taverns, as they were legally known, where women were not allowed in. Those lasted into the eighties, if I remember correctly. It was just a place where a world-weary guy could go and let his hair down with the fellas, not have to suck in his gut or anything. Very civilized, if you axe me.

16. frontenac1 says:

The D is still Soft and in need of some Nasty.

• Timo says:

When MB is back from vacation. Then he will take another year to evaluate the D… then take another vacation, then perhaps he will evaluate some more and then he may get another 7th defenseman no one else wants. Because he has character.

• habstrinifan says:

Maybe he is in Trinidad looking for a D-MAN in an old fashioned Trinidad Rumshop. I can tell you no idiots would be setting up shop in the freakin crease.

17. Loonie says:

Some posts below about the powerplay, Briere and Desharnais.

Posts that size doesn’t matter on the powerplay. I think that’s half true. Size doesn’t matter on the powerplay if your players are cohesive and can move the puck accurately and creatively. Where size does matter is against teams that are disciplined and patient on the penalty kill and have excellent goaltending. Like say, the Senators.

And on the efficiency of players on the powerplay who can pass the puck accurately and with creativity. Those players are only effective when their shot is a threat to the opposing team one on one(with the goalie).

Teams were happy to leave Desharnais alone on the half boards last season on the powerplay and take away his passing options because he doesn’t have a shot that can beat goalies from further than fifteen feet away from the net.

Thoughts about the powerplay are nearly irrelevant though considering we have Gallagher, Desharnais, Briere and Gionta presumably in a group of top six forwards.

It’s going to be a short season in my opinion.

• bwoar says:

On the other hand, I’m pretty sure it’ll still be 82 games.

“thoroughbred”

• Timo says:

You mean the teams that won’t let little munchkins inside the box? Like the Bruins? Size matters (that’s what she said)… it DOES. Briere, Desharnais and Gallagher on the powerplay will only be ok the first half of the season, if that. As Front puts it… Habs needs some Nasty. And MOAR of it.

18. Cal says:

It’s been so quiet lately- so here’s some Led Zeppelin to give us the low down.

19. Lafleurguy says:

Have a nice day Seven Ladies and Gentlemen, read you later.

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”

20. myron.selby says:

@Adidess – I think I know why your post was deleted. I ran into the same thing a few months ago when I tried to post something saying that Commandant’s website came up as the first option in a google search I’d done.

I tried everything until I finally realized that adding “dot com” (the actual 4 character string) is not allowed. So if you put in a url using that particular string it won’t get through. It is almost certainly done automatically and has nothing to do with the actual content of the post.

Here is an article I wrote to Chris Nilan last winter.

To Mr. Chris Nilan!,
    From Bare Knuckles, to Bare Bones of Bearing your life story!
    No one really knows the heartache of a man who has to constantly play the game of life. Meaning, living up to the pressures of others expectations and never wanting to let people down.
    Hiding your inner most fears of being found out that you are as venerable as the next guy. Living with constant paranoia just trying to fit in and be needed and wanted for whom you really are. Constantly trying to find your spot in the sun.
    The constant emotional and physical pain of trauma, to the head and body are overwhelming and poorly understood by society.
    You have been down some long and lonely spokes on the wheel my friend.
    The most liberating time in ones life, is when one shouts and faces his true self, feelings and emotions and is able to share them with everyone. There is now, no longer any need to hide in the shadows. Your head is carried high and you walk with shoulders back my good man!
    Congratulations Chris Nilan,
    It takes a humble man to break into the light! some never get there.
    Ian Cobb

ATTENTION PLEASE, SUMMIT 2nd PHASE!

I need everyone to e-mail me, your numbers attending the two events below! If you have not done so yet.
    So that I can make your reservations for the Breakfast and the Baton Rouge Raffle Banquet.

HIO HOTEL Discount rates!:: Book your rooms as soon as you can. 1 to 4 nights are available to HIO members. Walking distance to all events.

There are about 15 HIO rooms left.
    CALL 1-866-861-6112

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

23. junyab says:

Anybody else think the mobster got the ring as repayment for the wedding that ended in divorce?!?!?

24. La Duke 16 says:

I have to say – that picking up a HABS Stanley Cup ring is on my bucket list.

I obviously won’t earn one as an employee. so I am relegated to spending way too much cash to get my hands on one.

But I will get one – hopefully from the 70’s teams.

25. JTT says:

With Briere in or out of the lineup. We’ll be the same as last year. Hang in for 40 games than start fading. Injuries like every year will decide this teams fate. MB is trying to keep a decent time in place with the money he has at hand till the kids can make the big jump and that will be our move toward winning a cup …

• habstrinifan says:

I dont understand your timeline. You seem to be saying that MB has decided to tread water until ‘the kids’ make the jump at which time we will be powerful and complete enough to win the cup. I am trying to identify which kids will do this transformation for us.

• Cal says:

That’s my big bug about “waiting for the future.” Rookies (like in ’86) may be the biggest contributors in a Cup run, but usually it’s the veterans leading the way.

• habstrinifan says:

I will never forget the feeling of seeing all those rookies in 86. I thought man oh man.. 5 more cups for sure. They were a diverse and really ‘habitant’ style group of rookies.

• Chris says:

I was just thanking my lucky stars that Calgary hung tight with Edmonton until Steve Smith could knock the Oilers out of the playoffs.

Montreal’s rookies were great. But Edmonton was head and shoulders a better team in terms of talent.

Same goes for the 1993 playoffs, where Pittsburgh very likely would have demolished everybody once they got their game in gear, but the Islanders shocked them early.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Chris, we don’t raise these issues in polite company. The ’86 and ’93 teams were just teams of destiny, imbued with a noble purpose and aided by “les fantômes du Forum.” They are the embodiment of our team’s intrinsic betterness than other lessernesses like the Leafs and Nordiques and Bruins. And that’s all we have to say about that.

• Chris says:

Look at the Habs defence corps in 1993 and you’ll see the same thing. They played so well in all those tight games, and they were ridiculously young:

Daigneault – 26
          Desjardins – 24
          Odelein – 23
          Schneider – 23
          Brisebois – 21
          Haller – 21

There was no reason to expect that defence would actually become the undoing of the Montreal Canadiens in the ensuing 2-3 years (mainly because of the foolish trades of Desjardins and Schneider, which precipitated all the other nonsense including Roy’s departure).

• commandant says:

Every team goes through slumps.

Why do we assume that what happened at the 40 game mark wasn’t a typical team 2 week or so slump and would have lasted for 40 games in an 82 games season?

The number of teams that are first in their division at midseason and then go for 40 slumps is pretty rare. Yes it happens, but its not nearly as often as a team goes on a 2 or 3 week slump and then recovers.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Cal says:

The team right now- minus Emelin- is not looking like it has improved at all. Replacing Ryder with Briere is a lateral move that makes the team smaller. If the kids Gally and Chucky drop production even a little, it will be tough for the Habs to get wins. MB’s long term plan makes for more seasons of “let’s wait for our prospects.” In the meantime, the Habs are middle of the pack and easy to play against. It’s going to be a long season.
        Prediction- because I am a gypsy at heart- Habs finish 10th or 11th with a mad scramble to make the playoffs falling short.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree with you Cal. I think the team actually got worse with Briere in place of Ryder. Briere used to be a clutch player but he is now old and very injury riddled. He was also insulated by bigger forwards in Philly. He doesn’t have that luxury in MTL.

I would have preferred even getting the injury riddled Morrow in place of Briere as he is a better fit for our current needs.

Emelin missing will hurt the habs d from the get go and if Gionta isn’t ready to go that won’t help either. I do think that the habs blue line in the next couple of years will be pretty solid

This year will be a roll of the dice but I think we will be struggling to make the playoffs as the division is even harder now with St Louis and Columbus being brought in.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• habstrinifan says:

I do not agree with JTT’s dire prediction that the HABS are guaranteed to start fast and ‘drop’ fast after 40 games.

And I am not looking at a wins and losses column at the moment so my ‘gut’ recollection may be exaggerated .

I do wonder at and fear the syndrome which seems to have affected the HABS in the past 3 or 4 seasons. A very bad and closely strung- together chain of ‘more losses than wins’ which have me looking over my shoulders at how the Leafs are doing…I hate it when the Leafs are winning and we seem to be losing game after game cause then I cant escape the Leafs centric TVland.

Forgetting the Leafs aspect. I think that this ‘drop in performance’ and the absolutely astonishing inability of the coaches, players, management to do something to stem the decline is very disturbing.
        I recall with horror that one glaring example when we couldnt win a freakin game to assure ourselves of a playoff spot and only got the one point needed by hanging on for an overtime loss against the Leafs. Last season held no danger of missing the playoffs but our decline was just as bad.

Despite assurances, like MT’s we are “ready for the playoffs”, the bad play heralded an early exit from the playoffs. The team has appeared to fall apart without remedy. It is one of the chief reasons why I say that the team needs a change in mindset, which should best come from a change in on ice leadership… not some directive from the coach.. this coach at least. His nature is not one of uncomplicated and gung-ho optimism.

Unfortnately I dont see the person on hand to provide that right now given the mix of players, many of whom would be ‘protecting’ their status.. and the coach’s propensity to coach the team through those players( his own words).

• Chris says:

It is rare for a team that is first in their division at midseason and then slump badly. Yet that is precisely what has happened to the Habs a few times in recent years:

2008-09: The infamous Centennial Season saw the Canadiens start 27-11-6. But then the injury bug bit the Habs very hard, and the team stumbled and bumbled their way to a 14-19-5 close to the season

2009-10: The Habs never really get on a long hot or cold streak, just playing mediocre hockey and secure the 8th playoff spot before Halak and the defence corps got stupidly good for two rounds.

2010-11: 30-18-5 on February 5, but close the season 14-12-3. They needed to finish the season 3-0-1 to hold on to their playoff spot after fighting for the division crown for the first half.

2011-12: The Habs never get their A game, stumbling and bumbling through the whole season, costing two coaches their jobs and seeing the Canadiens finish 3rd worst overall.

2012-13: The Habs get off to a shocking start, piling up wins on their way to a 20-5-5 record before closing out the season 9-9-0.

I think it is absolutely fair to question the Habs’ staying power. They are a smallish, speedy team that has struggled when the referees put away their whistles.

I do think the team has built up a better talent base, finally getting back to what they had in 2007-08 with the Koivu-Kovalev-Markov led Habs. But like that team, the Habs are still lacking in depth. Losing Emelin should not have caused such disarray on the team, and while Eller is a good player, he was the team’s third line centre. They should have found a way to overcome his loss.

The Habs are not likely to earn 65.6% of the points available again this season. Over an 82 game season, that would see them net 108 points. It isn’t going to happen.

They played over their heads at the start, and played a little under their feet at the end. As presently built, the Habs should be good for 90-98 points, which will leave them fighting with a bunch of other teams for the lower seeds in the East.

The fortunate thing is that the Northeast Division is looking weaker than most this coming season. Buffalo and Florida are flat out terrible teams, both deeply enmeshed in a rebuilding process. Tampa Bay has no goaltending, and the loss of Lecavalier hurts them. That should leave it to Montreal, Boston, Toronto and Detroit to fight it out for the three available playoff spots. Boston is, at least in my mind, the clear favourite even through the loss of so much depth (Horton, Jagr, Peverley, Seguin and Ference) probably can’t be replaced with the guys they brought in (Hamilton, Iginla, Eriksson).

• Kooch7800 says:

I would put Columbus in the mix as well Chris and Tampa did address their goaltending last year with Bishop from ottawa. That kid can play.

You also don’t think Ottawa will be in the mix for the playoffs? I think that they will be. Bobby Ryan is a scoring upgrade on Alfredson and Spezza will be healthy.

So the way I see it Boston, MTL, toronto, Columbus, Detroit, Ottawa and Tampa will be fighting it out with Boston the fav for the top spot over 80 games. This division is the toughest in the league in my opinion

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Chris says:

Columbus is not in our division, so I didn’t include them.

Ottawa is a tough team to figure out. Ryan is an offensive upgrade on Alfredsson, but he is not an upgrade on Alfredsson + Silfverberg. And he can’t provide anything close to the leadership of Alfredsson.

Spezza’s health is also up in the air. He’s only played a full season once in the past four years, and he’s now had a second major back operation at 30 years old. He’s a wild-card.

Having Cowen and Michalek back for the full season makes Ottawa stronger. But I don’t see Anderson sustaining his play of last year.

Karlsson was not the same player when he came back from the Achilles surgery. Hopefully, a summer of recuperation will get him back up to his full speed, which is a requirement for him to be as good as he is. Take away his speed, and Karlsson is not quite as big a threat, despite his excellent passing skills.

So there are just too many questions around Ottawa for me to get a read on whether they are in the mix or not. Ryan’s got to show that he can produce now that the spotlight glare is fully on him. In Anaheim, he was at best the fourth fiddle (behind Getzlaf, Perry and Selanne). He will now carry all the pressure.

And I refuse to write that new horrendous division name, so I vote that we all return to the old division names. Montreal’s is naturally the Adams, the Patrick can stay with the New York teams, the Norris will host Chicago and St. Louis and the Smythe will keep the Western teams. Screw you, Bettman.

The Patrick Division is going to be tough. Pittsburgh, the Rangers, the Flyers (who will be much better this year), the Capitals and the emerging Islanders should all push for the playoffs this season. New Jersey is going to stink, Columbus is improving (but I think they are still a year or two away, Bobrovsky’s unreal goaltending obscuring their remaining flaws last season), and Carolina is a wild-card that could surprise if Ward returns to health.

The Norris, as always seemed to be the case, is not particularly strong but does feature two of the best teams in the NHL (St. Louis and Chicago). Minnesota is improving, and I think that Colorado is going to surprise a lot of people with their offensive talent. They’ve still got holes on defence and in net, but they can play a Washington game with the forwards they’ve assembled.

The Smythe is vying with the Patrick as the toughest in the league. Los Angeles, San Jose, Vancouver, and Anaheim are all outstanding teams. Edmonton is poised to jump to the league’s top ranks as their young defencemen finally start joining the roster to go with the outstanding forwards they’ve assembled. Calgary will be awful, and Phoenix probably won’t make it but they will be a very tough team to beat.

At best, I think the Adams is the third toughest in hockey. It is probably tougher than the Norris, but I think it significantly trails the other two in difficulty.

• habstrinifan says:

Better post than mine. Disarms the apologists.

• Maritime Ron says:

Key injuries decide a team’s fate, especially if they are a bubble team

Look at Carolina last year.
      They started out 15-9-1.

Then Ward got hurt – then 2nd string Ellis was hurt, and the Canes had to use their 3rd string goalie for 12 of the final 23 games and their 2nd string goalie Ellis for 11 of those games.
      The record with those 2 was 4-16-3.

Another example is Philly.
      Their D was so decimated that they actually dressed 13 different Dmen last season.
      At 1 point in time, 4 of their starting 6 were all injured at the same time

• habstrinifan says:

Injuries play a part but are we ,conveniently, overplaying the Emelin injury because it apparently coincided with the decline. (I think the signs were there before but that’s my opinion). And how did the Emelin injury for instance affect the PP. It went south and the team/coaches seemed incapable of adjustment. Remember my freakin refrain before the playoffs.. “FIX THE PP”. Of course some stat person is gonna post about how our PP goals were not out of whack compared to Ottawa’s. All I know is I sat thru a few 5 on 3’s and other PPs, when a goal woulda made a huge difference. And this was also the case leading to the playoffs.

I think the latter part of the season is when a team shows its real ‘togetherness’ and true bond. In my humble opinion, this has been one of the reason why we go into latter-3rd-of-season slumps. I will use UCE’S current ‘most favourite’ word. All the talk of team ‘togetherness’ has proven to be pure smoke. A ‘faux'(uce’s word) chemistry dictated by the coach.

• Chris says:

The signs were definitely there before Emelin was hurt. The team’s GAA in March was substantially higher than it was in January or February, and Emelin didn’t go down until April. Teams had figured out the Swarm, Price started to struggle and the team couldn’t play defence to save their life.

Morning to the Morning Crew! Certainly not a great deal of hockey to talk about these days, looking forward to the start of NFL and NHL seasons, until then time to keep enjoying the summer.

27. Maritime Ron says:

@ 24 Cups
    Re Briere points prediction

It appears Briere’s goals/point total will also depend on his usage on the Power Play.

Of Briere’s 286 career goals scored during the regular season, 102 have been scored on the PP. 148 of his career 373 assists have come on the PP.

Briere is slated to play right wing, but can also play center.

According to the Web Site “Left Wing Lock” that tracks lines used, the Habs had the following last year for its Power Play:

PACIORETTY-DESHARNAIS-GALLAGHER:25.8%
    RYDER-PLEKANEC-GIONTA:18.2%
    GIONTA-PLEKANEC-BOURQUE:17.4%
    COLE-DESHARNAIS-PACIORETTY:10.2%

While our season PP last year ranked 4th in the Eastern Conference (thank you PK-Markov) in was pathetic in the playoffs.

Of course both Cole and Ryder are gone, yet noticeably absent on the majority PP time is both Eller and Galchenyuk.

So the question becomes, with the addition of Briere, and the absolute need for both Eller and Galchenyuk to get PP minutes, who are the odd men out???

• habstrinifan says:

Plekanec, Desharnais, Pacioretty in that order.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree with the first two but I wouldn’t take Pacioretty out of the mix. The guy was the teams leading scorer the last two seasons. Just think of the opportunities for him playing on a power play unit with Eller and Galchenyuk.

• habstrinifan says:

Out of the players you listed you are then only left with Gallagher and Bourque. While Bourque will never be the shooter Pacioretty is, he is a more experienced and deft net presence than Pacioretty (albeit when he plays accordingly). I think a heathy Bourque on the PP pays more dividends in his 5 on 5 game than cutting back on Pacioretty’s PP time negatively affects the same. Gionta, again if healthy, should be more a PP forward than a 5 on 5 forward at this stage.

But it’s a close call.

• Maritime Ron says:

One thing is certain.
      It’s time for MT to put Desharnais aside and allow Eller the PP time.

For years we have been looking for the big strong center that is solid on his skates, can protect the puck, and has good hands and hockey sense.
      Eller is now 6’3″ and according to a recent interview, is tipping the scales at 220 pounds.

It’s not as if we would lose anything in the faceoff circle as Desharnais was 48.6% in the playoffs and won only half the PP faceofffs when he wasn’t thrown out of the circle.
      As for anything approaching ‘solid on skates’, anyone that watched the Ottawa series saw him on his butt and knocked off the puck more often than not.

• Mustang says:

One factor that has not been mentioned is that no matter who is on the PP, someone has to be parked in front of the net. It seemed that far too often, no one except for Gallagher was willing to pay the price.

• Phil C says:

I often agree with your posts, but not your last point in this case. DD is not easily knocked off the puck, no more so than bigger players. Eller was the one knocked out of the series with a big hit, not DD. By Eller’s own omission last year, he is just starting to figure out how to protect the puck when he carries it. When he figures it out, he will be even better.

DD is very dangerous with the puck on his stick, he is hard to hit due to his quickness and awareness. If you watch the Ottawa series, all the Habs forwards were having trouble in Ottawa’s end because Ottawa were content to just sit back and defend, that’s what they did all season.

The biggest liability with playing DD is when he is defending, especially 5-on-5, this is when his small stature is a big disadvantage. On the PP, his stature is largely irrelevant. PP is all about puck possession. Even the defending teams rarely play physically on the PK, they normally sit back in a box formation. That’s why a guy like Briere thrives on a the PP as his size is no longer a disadvantage.

I don’t mind you arguing that Eller should move ahead of DD for PP time, but to say this because of DD’s size is a poor argument.

• Lafleurguy says:

Nice one Phil. Yours may be one of the few posts that analyzes strengths in Desharnais’ game that advanced his hockey career as far as it has gone. He was not handed anything until the big contract happened which only goes into effect this season. Last year, he was paid less than Colby Armstrong, Travis Moen, but more than Scott Gomez ( :-) ). His ability to get to loose pucks in the opposition zone has always been noticeable. The fact that Pacioretty had to recover from appendicitis, and was a notch below his level of play the year before affected Desharnais assist total. Desharnais’ 10 goals in 48 games was similar to the pace of 16 goals in 81 games the season before.

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”

• Maritime Ron says:

Phil

Centers and wingers have different PP responsibilities…and Desharnais had nothing close to quickness last year compared to the year before.
          He was usually a step behind and in the Ottawa series when refs put away whistles, he was a complete non factor.

Was he hurt? I don’t know, but we’ll learn about the real Desharnais this year with a full schedule.

As for bringing up Eller getting injured and not Desharnais, sorry if I don’t get that part of the argument.

As for PP performance during the season:

Desharnais: PP Time:138:48. PP goals:2. Assists:5.
          Eller:……….. PP time:…32:27. PP Goals:1. Assists:4.

Desharnais had the equivalent of about 115 more PP shifts than Eller.

During the playoffs, Desharnais was tied for 3rd most PP minutes played and contributed 0 goals and 0 assists.

• Phil C says:

Those stats support using Eller. That makes sense.

I brought up the Eller hit to illustrate that being bigger does not make you immune to physical play, big guys can be easier to catch and hit sometimes.

• New says:

I think they are intending to modify the PP for a fourth forward, splitting Markov and Subban and swinging an extra center onto the point. Just a hunch based on the inability of the D to create much and the location of where most of the scored goals come from. Subban has a great shot but most of them don’t go in. Markov slides in beautifully but most of the forwards don’t slide back well. So the odd man out will be a D, meaning that 4 D will be fresh if the team takes a penalty or returns to 5-5 play.

Edmonton sure gunned for the Calder. Glad Montreal wasn’t in that position.

28. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! What a weird story. I admit I’ve only followed this story from afar but it appears that this Bulger guy was just “LOVED” by a large segment of the Boston population. Apparently at one time he ran the city. There was talk that a jury could not be filled with folks who were impartial.
    So after I originally jumped to a conclusion and my feet came back on steady ground, I can understand Nilan giving him such a meaningful gift. After hearing about the relationship between Bulger and Chris’ ex-wife it makes a bit more sense.
    One can also believe that Chris’ life today is very different from what it was back in the mid-80’s. That’s to his credit.

• Lafleurguy says:

Hi Jim.

“May you live in interesting times”

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I hope it isn’t an escape plan. You put on the ring and you become invisible, but you attract a wide range of Internet hockey trolls who buzz around your head denouncing Desharnais and vaunting Tim Thomas, while dripping bugs all over the carpet.

In all seriousness, athletes and gangsters have always been connected in the world of easy, undeserved money. Bulger seems like an especially bad one, but Nilan was lost for a while there. People stumble into bad places, and I imagine hockey enforcers are respected by other sorts of enforcers. I don’t imagine it’s a connection Nilan would want to have had come out, but eventually, these things usually do. Such is life.

29. Maritime Ron says:

….Continuing the summer discussion of pizza places and lousy UK food, this one is a beaut.

” A restaurateur has duped the public with an extraordinary stunt.

Gary Newborough, owner of La Pizzeria Ristorante in Manchester, England, held a VIP opening of his new restaurant, inviting foodies to taste his “pizza with a real difference” which he was offering for free.

The response was reportedly positive – that is, until Newborough revealed his secret: he was serving up FROZEN pizzas bought at a local supermarket.”

That is reminiscent of a Dragon’s Den episode when a fella presented a new organic food recipe to the Dragons to taste.
    The response was “OK-not bad” until the Dragons were informed it was…. dog food.
    The looks on the faces of these multi-millionaires was priceless.
    Needless to say, the Veuve Clicquot Dragons were unimpressed and the fella left without the asked for investment….

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Ron. There is a commercial in the US (I think its DiGiorno’s frozen pizza) where the frozen pizza is served to unsuspecting customers. Could this be the English version?

This is from Dobber’s Fantasy Guide for 2013-14. FWIW.

“Danny Briere will be 36 when the 2013-14 season starts. In his last four years he missed 14, 12, five and seven games. The year prior to that he missed 53 games. So in the Fantasy Guide I gave him 68 projected games. His production has declined from 0.88 to 0.70 to 0.47. Factoring in a small bounce-back due to playing hockey in his home province of Quebec and a projected 0.52 is fair (36 points). But he still has the skills to get 50 points in 68 games and if he can somehow play an 80-game season (highly doubtful) then 60 points is the absolute peak. But count on 35 to 40 points, some time on the IR…and of course a pretty good playoff performance if the Habs get in.”

• habstrinifan says:

The games missed due to injury is the biggest concrn here. It is a very troubling stat. I was not impressed with his recent pictures. I did not see the ‘brawn’ of a ‘tough physique’. I may be putting two and two together after the fact but that ‘missed games’ line line really stands out.

• Maritime Ron says:

Trin

Briere is what he is that being turning 36 in October and a frame that is 5’10” 179 pounds….and 2 concussions in 2 consecutive years has to be a concern – in other words will he subconsciously avoid traffic?

31. Un Canadien errant says:

But anyway, how about that “Breaking Bad” episode last night?

“Tread lightly…”

• ZepFan2 says:

“Hi Carol”

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
      Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…never watched ‘Breaking Bad’, though I hear it’s exceptional …and My Ipod battery here is about daid here in the restaurant Norm …but I gotta ask what’s this about I was quoted in the Jenish Habs book ?

…first I’ve heard about it

…(if I don’t respond, it’s because My battery finally burned out, but answer so I can read about it tomorrow morning)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Click here. It must have been a letter or email sent to the Gazette.

Get on watching Breaking Bad right now. When the series finishes in seven weeks, there will be so much discussion on it around you that it’ll cause you to miss a lot of the surprises and great scenes. People will want to discuss the episodes and not care about spoiler alerts, and it will spoil your fun. So get on it, binge watch it right now, you won’t be sorry.

32. Un Canadien errant says:

How ridiculous is it if he gets to keep his “prized Stanley Cup ring”? It’s infuriating that it’s even possible.

This guy did nothing to earn it. If he’d been a player and had won it with his teammates, and then his life had gone downhill and he was in a similar judicial predicament, I’d understand the argument, even if I wouldn’t agree that he has a right to keep it.

In this case though, it’s obvious that he only got this ring through his criminal activities. Whether he got it by theft or extortion, or as tribute due to his lofty criminal status, it’s his only because he murdered and stole and intimidated others.

Whatever attachment he has to the ring is faux sentimentality. He’s cherishing an ill-gotten gain. There’s a guy in his forties who was in that courtroom today who lost his dad when he was eight years old, because Whitey Bulger murdered him. I bet he cherished his dad too, and wishes he could make a similar deal with a jury too, to let go of something he cares less about to keep something valuable. To make such a deal would be to exercise his freedom of choice, his liberty. Whitey Bulger no longer has that right.

———————————————————————–

• D Mex says:

Nilan must be identified as the owner of that ring.
      Wouldn’t surprise me that, when the time comes, he will be contacted by US authorities concerning its release from the exhibit locker.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Me thinks You haven’t read the full story Normand …it was GIVEN to Bulger by Nilan

…Nilan and Bulger were tight …in a way, almost ‘family’

…Bulger apparently paid for Nilan’s first marriage to the daughter of Teresa Stanley, the then first lady of Whitey at the time

…which by the way indicates that Chris Nilan had won 2 more Stanley ‘cups’ than are credited in His NHL stats :)

…saying that, I too hope Whitey Bulger will not be buried with a Canadiens’ Cup ring in his casket

…and, will be interesting how Geoff Molson and the Canadiens will want to distance Themselves from Nilan going forward

…I do not think Nilan knew exactly the person He was involved with in Whitey Bulger at the time …and I hope this will not hurt His relationship with the Habs, because Chris is in a completely different place now as a person, and is a colorful and entertaining representative for Our Team

• habstrinifan says:

The article seemed inconclusive as to where Bulger got the ring. Nilan said he gave the ring to his(Nilan’s dad and claims his dad still ha sit). Nilan also claimed Serge Savard ordered a replacement ring for Nilan. What’s inconclusive is did Nilan give this ring to Bulger; did Nilan’s dad give the original ring to Bulger.. I dont think the article makes it clear. You may assume because Bulge rpaid for Nilan’s wedding that he could have gotten the ring from Nilan.. but then that would be the replacement ring. It’s all confusing.

I hope HABS dont do anything to distance themselves from Nilan who has gone thru a lot and is now in a new phase of his life.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…the only ‘conclusive’ is that Nilan’s first wife was the daughter of Bulger’s common-law wife

…none of Us was there, but it’s also possible that Bulger ‘intimidated’ or conned Nilan into giving him the ring

…anything is possible, but bottom-line, Chris Nilan is not the first athlete that bumps into low-lifes by intent or happenstance in their private lives, nor will he be the last

• Un Canadien errant says:

Actually no HiS, I think it’s you who haven’t read my post. I don’t care how that murderer got the ring. If he’d gotten it legitimately, let’s say at auction, he still shouldn’t keep it. He lost his rights when he was convicted of murder.

I specifically deal with the gift hypothesis in my post, where I state that he might have gotten it as tribute due to his position at the top of a criminal enterprise. So if Chris Nilan or his father gave it to him, it doesn’t change a thing. The only reason Whitey Bulger was in a position to pay for the wedding was due to his extortion racket and murders and mayhem.

So the connection to Chris Nilan right now is immaterial, and I’d deal with that later. My point is that Whitey Bulger came into possession of that ring because he committed murder. He doesn’t get to keep it. Simple.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…You see it as a Habs Fan disgusted that a person of such ill-repute is in possession of such a piece of Our Legacy …but in the splitting-hairs world of lawyers and the courts, I think there is good chance they let Bulger keep the ring

…I think Nilan’s ‘gift’ of the ring would qualify in the ‘family momento’ realm of possessions because Teresa Stanley was Bulger’s common-law wife at the time

33. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Wants to keep the ring? Someone should make him an offer he can’t refuse…

34. ClutchNGrab says:

I’m under the impreasion Nilan gave his ring to Whitey and then lied to Savard. I really wish this story doesn’t affect Nilan too much. He came a long way since that shoplifting incident.

• D Mex says:

It seems his life was in a different place then – I suspect that reasonable people, Nilan and Savard among them, recognize this.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

35. Adidess says:

Hi guys, I haven’t been around these parts a lot this summer, but I still like to poke into the conversation every once in a while, whether I end up posting or not.

Just saw there are still posters claiming to this day that F. Gagnon never argued in favor of trading Subban. One can like FG–he’s a competent journalist/columnist–and admit that he did in fact write a column in La Presse in January 2012 where he raised the question of trading PK and landed on the side of yes, trading Subban makes sense if you can get a good deal for him.
    Here’s a link to the article: http://www.lapresse.ca/debats/chroniques/francois-gagnon/201201/23/01-4488663-echanger-subban-pourquoi-pas.php

The title is: ‘Échanger Subban? Pourquoi pas?’ Translation: ‘Trading Subban? Why not?’
    He started off by trotting out the cliché line “Even Gretzky got traded” and went on to argue that fans who are up in arms about the idea of trading Subban should be more concerned about what their team might seek in return. Quote (my translation): “It doesn’t mean giving Subban away. It’s about willing to trade him if the return is worth it”.

Here are a few points he put forward in support of his argument:
    – Price and Subban are the two impact players the team has and who would likely generate the most significant return. Price doesn’t have an heir apparent in the farm, but Habs have Tinordi and Beaulieu in the pipelines, guys who while maybe not as good are quite close.
    – A big C is a much bigger need, so a trade for a Getzlaf, E. Stall or Kopitar would be fair deals (not really an insult to Subban, I might add)
    – PK is not as good as Karlsson, Myers or Doughty
    – Blues received a very attractive package in return for Erik Johnson, management would be crazy not to listen to a comparable offer.
    – PK already believes he’d Bobby Orr and the nicest thing since sliced bread

Now, here are some other things he said that people keep using to this day to argue he never came out in favor of trading Subban.
    – Trading Subban is not a necessity; it’s not like the team must do it.
    – Habs should be careful about trading such a talented and popular player, remember past lopsided trades that everyone still regrets
    – Team should not settle for return a la Miinimi-a whatever, i.e. minimal return along the lines of what we received for Ribeiro, Patrick Roy and Theodore.
    – Trading Subban is fraught with risks, so management n’a pas droit à l’erreur.

Now I have been reading FG for over 10 years. While a competent journalist, he also runs a La Presse hockey blog called Sans Ligne Rouge (SLR) where he doesn’t refrain from stirring the pot, which has helped generate tons of traffic for La Presse online (formely Cyberpresse). That blog can be as busy as this site is during the season. FG is no flame thrower but he knows the business. He’s been around a long time, started here in the National Capital Region with Journal Le Droit, I believe.

I want to be as fair as possible here. If I were to defend François Gagnon, here are some arguments/excuses I would use for him:
    – Saying this at the time of the article was not quite as controversial as it looks now. Many other columnists and tons of fans including on HIO were saying “let’s see what we could get for PK on the trade market, he doesn’t seem to have many friends in that locker room”. FG would probably not write about trade ideas now.
    – FG knows the business side of hockey, has been around the game too long to believe that trading a star in the making like PK would make sense for a market like Montreal that is so starving for bright marketable talents. He was likely stirring the pot, as he tends to do sometimes.
    – He never said PK sucks or anything of that sort. In fact, the players he recommended picking up for PK are guys maybe other teams would not be so keen to give away in return for PK at the time.
    – He wrote the column in response to the frenzy generated by rumours that PK might be part of some trade talks out there and to say ‘calm down’. He was operating from the premise that no player on a non-contender should be considered off-limits, especially if the move gets you something you might never get through the draft. He did take the opportunity to say, your Subban is overrated anyway for sure, but he did not start a ‘let’s trade Subban’ movement.

Saying FG never wrote that Habs should consider trading Subban is too disingenous. It doesn’t look good on the people who keep repeating it, especially if they have read the article.

I know it has been suggested that those who think FG argued in favor of trading Subban are probably non-bilingual fans who didn’t have the benefit of reading the article or are not familiar with François. Do I need to repeat I read François regularly and that my French is better than my English?

36. Adidess says:

Didn’t work on IPhone either although it did give me the check mark prior to disappearing into the ether. I assume it is a filter thing, but no idea what the site is blocking exactly. My opinion? Removing the one link i have did not make a difference, neither did shortening the post.

Argh! Not going to waste any more time on this right now, thanks a lot.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I feel your pain Adidess, it’s happened to me lots.

Mods, there should be a section on HIO giving guidelines as to how to not run afoul of the Gremlins. Really simple bullet points explaining what is and isn’t allowed.

For example, I discovered a while ago that any post that contains more than three hyperlinks is flagged and held for review. That’s an easy rule to know, but it should be posted somewhere so novices like me at the time could avoid these landmines.

Any more hard and fast rules like that should be easily available for members to refer to.

Also, I notice on other sites that some posters accrue seniority or other form of recognition, and I guess that allows them some latitude. I think the rules should be relaxed for those who have been here for a relatively long time, have behaved themselves and don’t abuse the privilege.

Adidess isn’t posting deals on handbags and name-brand shoes, hasn’t for years, he shouldn’t be losing his work like that.

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

…must be a ‘sweet’ thought going through Bruisers’ fans at this time in Bawston, that it’s a Habs’ Stanley Cup ring, not a Bruisers’ ring, that was more meaningful to Bulger :)

38. Habitant in Surrey says:

:) …go back and read the last comment on last thread

…I guess Stu wanted to prove Me wrong

…Ya got ballz Stu ! :) …good on Ya

…PS: My last intrepid Prediction was that the Habs would win the Cup …how well did that work out ?

39. habs11s says:

How many days till hockey is back?

_____________________________________________________________

40. Adidess says:

Does anybody know whether there is a word limit or a restriction on web links in here? I have been trying to post something (a longish one) about six times and it is still not showing. This post shows however. Weird.

• Adidess says:

Mods, can you please look into this and suggest something I could do?
      I lost part of the text the first time and had to rewrite offline. Now the site won’t accept the cut-and-paste. I tried to cut the post in half just to see what would happen, same result, so length is probably not the issue.
      Thanks for your help!

• HardHabits says:

If you use certain words the comment won’t appear. Words like T.h.e. R.o.c.k. or B.e.t.t.m.a.n. won’t pass the built in filter.

• Adidess says:

Hahaha. I definitely don’t have any dirty words in there. And I have seen posts much longer than what I have.

Wait, I can post anything else I want, it seems. But not the argumentative piece I spent valuable time writing. A shame!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…HIO Tips: number 1

…always, always, always, always …COPY Your comment BEFORE posting !

…especially the novelettes We sometimes post to bore the stink outta Our fella Commentarianists

41. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Win, place and show!

24 cups and counting….

42. Adidess says:

First? What, me?

Never thought I’d live to see the day. A real first. Congrats to me!

43. The Jackal says:

Deuxieme is only the first loser.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.