Concussed Parros “nearly symptom-free”

ParrosOrr

Canadiens’ George Parros dances with Toronto’s Colton Orr during the Habs season-opener at the Bell Centre before he toppled over the Maple Leafs enforcer, suffering a concussion when his face struck the ice.

Canadiens forward George Parros is “almost symptom-free”, general manager Marc Bergevin told me at the Habs Calgary hotel this morning, a great sign that the 6-foot-5 newcomer to the club is healing from his concussion.

“He is feeling good, doing a lot better,” Bergevin said, while cautioning that Parros shouldn’t be expected back on the ice imminently.

“A concussion is a hard thing to gauge,” Bergevin said. “You could have a guy out a week or 10 days – (Brendan) Gallagher last year was quick but (Rene) Bourque and Raffi (Raphael Diaz) went longer. You never know with concussions. Overall we’re pretty happy with where George is at today, looking at everything that happened.

“Every day is just a checklist. It’s to check the symptoms, a whole bunch of them – headaches, (sensitivity to) lights… He’s almost symptom-free as we speak. Every day is an evaluation because the next day could be worse but so far, it’s been going up every day.

“I’m pretty confident that George will be back sooner than later.”

Feature on George Parros, with comments from GM Marc Bergevin, by Dave Stubbs

1. habs-hampton says:

I’m no Dr. Recchi, and I wouldn’t pretend to know anything like Shane would know about concussions, but I do remember a couple of years ago, some experts were talking about the difference in Crosby vs. MaxPac concussions. Sid got hit from the side, whereas Max went face first into the stantion. Max recovered fairly quickly whereas Sid didn’t. They were saying how side-to-side head trauma is much worse than front-to-back.

Obviously, no concussion is a good one, but where Parros got a front-to-back hit (point of the chin), I’m hoping he recovers like Max did.

2. SmielmaN says:

Glad to hear Parros won’t be out long. That’s awesome. Hope the Young Guns line tear it up tonight! Go Habs go!

3. mr dave says:

hello all, long time no post. but have been reading all posts and comments, good reading when I get home from work, sit down feet up beer in hand and let the comments flow like a nice cold beer.
    as for the E.G.G. line that name has to go quickly like now.
    how about calling them the money line, because there is the 2 G,s on that line so I think it makes sence, the kid line is alright but I like money so that’s my 2cents p.s my beer are getting cold so I must drink faster cheers all.

the habs have 24 cups I have 24 beers

4. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Live blog is up folks :)

5. Castor says:

I was at the last Habs vs Canucks game in Vancouver. I remember going to the washroom and every single urinal stall was filled with a Habs jersey. I would have taken a picture if it wasn’t, you know, a bathroom.

• johnnylarue says:

I assume you opted to use the crapper then?

Alternately, refilling your cup with “recycled beer” and donating it to a Canucks fan is acceptable. Environmentally-friendly, and sportsmanlike to boot!

6. galchenyuk27 says:

Got tickets for next 3 games couldnt be more excited

7. I can’t imagine being symptom free, what’s that like?

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

8. HabFab says:

John Shannon -

The players have been informed that 1st quarter escrow withholding for this season is 14%.

9. theox_8 says:

Drove all the way from Regina for this looking for a great game and great night tonight , followed by another one tomorrow in Edmonton . Go habs go !!

10. Bill says:

Maybe I’m being cynical or maybe I’m just a rain on the parade kind of guy, but … Bergevin didn’t really give any info there. If I read between the lines:

“almost symptom-free” = “he has symptoms”

“A concussion is a hard thing to gauge” = “we don’t have a clue”

and

“I’m pretty confident that George will be back sooner than later.” = “I think he’ll be back at some point”, which is about as vague as it could be.

I like George and sincerely wish him the best, but I’m not popping the champagne yet. Bergevin was pretty careful in what he said.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• D Mex says:

I like what Parros brought to the opening night lineup – wondered about its impact on the team. It looked promising.

The man was removed from the ice on a stretcher, what – a week ago ? And now talk about him being ‘ symptom free ‘ and being back ‘ sooner than later (sic) ‘. Is the GM consciously trying to apply pressure here ? Crazy.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Boy talk about is the glass half full or half empty. Bill you have just supplied the absolute perfect example of that oldest of sayings. I chuckled when I read it.

11. PADPZ says:

Another speedy recovery for Pacioretty.

12. Strummer says:

I see puck drop is 8:00.
    Nice of them to give us EST-er’s a nod!

Edit- probably more a TSN demand.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

13. krob1000 says:

5 on 3 for 2 or 5 on 4 for 4 mins..which would you prefer?
    I was shocked to see no coaches ever take the 5 on 3 and instead prefer the 4 min 5 on 4?
    I guess I can see many times going this route but for a 4 min pp you are going to have non pp guys eventaulyl getting a crack likely. A 5 on 3 to me for 2 full mins should almost always be a goal…while pp’s run around 20 percent….does thi seem odd to anyone else that first of all coaches get the choice and that they never choose the 5 on 3?

14. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Saw this comment on TSN:

just a bad habit
    1 hour ago
    It’s sad when other players have to suffer the consequences of Subban’s idiocy time and time again. Subban should learn to muzzle those bee-stung lips of his and try to leave the fighting to those whose job it is. If you’re going to headlock Colton Orr you better expect something.

I wrote the MODs about allowing a term like “bee stung lips” on the site (they review comments before posting them and still allowed it!). Can’t believe that. And it’s still there.

15. Sportfan says:

How many Habs fans will be there tonight? Does it go half and half?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

16. SteverenO says:

Who would you rather have on the Powerplay?

Ribeiro or Ovechkin?

Even strength play is not to be considered.

I would guess that most people would instantly say , Ovechkin, hands down, right?

Acutually , its wrong.

Last year Ribeiro “batted” .463 on the PP,
    Ovechkin”s success rate was .363 .

Ribeiro was SIGNIFICANTLY more effective than Ovechkin on the Capitals PP last season.

Just a bit if trivia for the “stats” fans out there.

regards,

Steve O.

I hope Habs don’t think it’s a gimme game. Seen that before.

18. Say Ash says:

Timo, you need to hold up one of those RDS or TSN signs.

19. krob1000 says:

Fedorov playing again in Russia? He is 43 and 3 years removed from NHl hockey…that is a tough go but gotta wonder if he couldn’t pull it off if he tried (an NHL comeback). Cool thing about the legends..is they never lose their mental ability…the ones that learn to adapt their smarts to a declining skill set can still make some things happen….most unfortunately still think they can do what they once could and come up short.

20. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Once Murray is healthy, with the emergence of Tinordi, I figure we should send him to Edmonton. They’re desperate for D, we could probably fleece them and get a second-rounder or something for him. Maybe. Just throwing it out there…MacT isn’t exactly the most astute GM.

Mostly just killing time till I can hit up Stampede Casino for pregame beers.

Murray to the Oilers for Eberle!!

21. WVHabsfan says:

Good stuff Dipsy

22. Ghosts of the Forum says:

<—— I'll be rocking my Habs cowichan at the game tonight…hopefully enough to get on TSN ;)

23. WVHabsfan says:

If you can find a gal who loves hockey she is possibly a keeper!

24. rljmartin says:

Have lived in Cali Colombia for 22 years and for the last 4 started following Les Habs again, crappy streaming and all. Have been reading you characters here for 2 years and I must say, Semin jokes aside, you guys can be pretty hilarious.

Decided I would join the chatter on occasion while enjoying a Colombian brew or two.

I don´t know if this is good or bad but my Colombian girlfriend loves hockey…. any advice?

25. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Separating what you want from what is going to actually happen…who is out when Emelin is healthy?

Can Tinordi play himself onto the team or is mgmt pretty set in its vision and barring a Norris-esque surge, he’s back to Hamilton?

26. twilighthours says:

Man it was hard watching our tough guy knocked out and face first on the ice.

I sure do hope he recovers quickly so he can knock someone out and make them lay face first down on the ice.

Because every hockey fight ends that way?

• 9the rocket says:

you make it sound like Orr knocked him out. Lets be clear the only fight he lost was to the ice. The ice caught him flush on the chin and knocked him out. Orr was lucky to get off the ice alive.

I am a habs fan, players will come and go but the habs are forever.

27. habsfan0 says:

Watching tonight’s game..how will we know how to spot Timo?
    Or will he be the one constantly pointing and laughing at DD?

28. Tomi says:

I can’t wait for tonight’s game.
    I am sitting about 10 rows behind the Flames bench.

Has anyone heard if Michel Cammalleri will be playing tonight?

Go Flames!

Are Leaf fans that different from Habs fans? Further to the Gardiner situation, last year in the playoffs, the town was abuzz as Gardiner was showing himself to be their best defenceman. Now after 4 games in the new season they want him gone.

30. Thurston says:

Excellent news that Parros is progressing so quickly. However, as has been stated, hopefully he doesn’t rush anything and cause a setback.

31. PADPZ says:

Great news. Hopefully his children won’t have to see that again

• B says:

Coming soon to precede hockey broadcasts?

“The following program contains scenes of violence that may not be suitable for younger audiences. Parental discretion is advised.”

–Go Habs Go!–

32. Sportfan says:

Great News for him and his family, but i really hope he doesn’t rush it!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

33. HabsLifer says:

Can’t wait for tonight’s game.
    It seems like a long time ago I was sitting down to see our Habs beat Philly. Tonight should be another win out west. Let’s keep the vibe alive!

34. jamman says:

Never would have expected that after seeing his eyes rolling as they took him off the ice. Good stuff

35. tuffguy69 says:

Let’s trade for brown and roll an all star moustache line.

• Luke says:

I’d allow Mike Brown to skate some laps on the 4th line. Never undertood why the Leafs got rid of him. He’s certainly more of a real hockey player than Orr and McLaren.

‘Course maybe that’s why… he was actually worth something in a trade.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Sadly for him, he wasn’t MOAR bigger … he is Ryan White sized and that’s not good enough to play on the fourth line for Randy Cyclops.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• UnkleGary says:

The three moustache-kateers

CH-eers!

36. Say Ash says:

So the players’ rule is min seven days from no symptoms, right?

I don’t remember wanting a single Habs player to recover as quickly as I wish for Parros’ recovery. I don’t know why. I don’t really care for mustaches either. What is it?

38. Danno says:

Great news. All the best to George and his family.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

39. shiram says:

Always happy to hear a player is recovering from a concussion.

40. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

Great news!

41. mdp2011 says:

My first ever first.

42. Ron says:

It’s great to see him recover from the concussion. One thing that also helps is he is also getting more rest for his shoulder after the operation.

43. tuffguy69 says:

I’m sure the oh so hated Harper coming out in favour of fighting in hockey ruffled their feather and reassured som of them in their position.

44. DipsyDoodler says:

Actually Harper didn’t come out in favour of fighting as far as I can tell. He thinks the headshots are a greater concern, but that the league needs to address all violence, and he says he’s more a fan of skill than rough stuff.

Fairly sensible position.

The one inconsistency is his support for the Leafs.