Communication is focus of workout

Communication was the keyword as the Canadiens practiced this morning at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. The 70-minute workout was designed to make sure the players are on the same page heading into Thursday night’s game against the Florida Panthers. Coach Jacques Martin made it clear that he wasn’t happy with the overall play Tuesday night in Atlanta. Martin said special teams and goaltending prevailed over a sloppy defensive effort in the 3-1 win over the Thrashers.

Read Hickey’s full report here.

There was lots of work on the power play and the penalty-kill.

In no particular order of importance, Scott Gomez took a therapy day; Tomas Plekanec continued to work on the point on the power play and Carey Price will start in net despite Alex Auld’s 2-0 record against the Panthers this season.

Standing Pat: What’s the point of keeping Thrashers in Atlanta?

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Tomas Plekanec | Travis Moen (starts with tape-peeling and gobbing)

1. Displaced says:

Full Story

McKenzie speculates about a team returning to Winnipeg.  I have my doubts it will happen or a team’s long term viability in that market.  Short term, however, it would be fine and make money to offset losses for teams in Dallas, Florida, Colorado and other points south.  If they make enough Gary’s can restart his Ponzi scheme to sell new franchises to rich dullards  who think they make hockey work in their home towns of: KC, LV, Seattle, Portland, Milwaukee and Poughkeepsie.

leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

2. samTHEman says:

Gomez = 7.3M

Pyatt = 0.5M

Koivu = 2.5M

McDonagh = 1.3M

Gomez and Pyatt instead of Koivu (13 goals vs Gomez’ 7) and McDonagh (#1 Defenseman in NY) + an additional 4 MILLION IN CAP SPACE WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO

whatever, just saying.

3. RedLight says:

What????

Shocked by Carey’s standing for Vezina voting. I’ll be the first to admit that Thomas should be atop the list (he’s carried me to a fantasy title, pretty good value for a last round pick), but Fleury? Really surprised.

Of course, none of these jokers could hold a candle to me in my prime, but that’s another debate.

-Mr. Racicot

4. pmaraw says:

I have 5 questions for you, discuss.

5. habstrinifan says:

Thanks you are the first poster I have seen that has questioned the claim by so many that Gomez was GREAT in the playoffs. I was fed up being told to wait for the playoffs to start to see the real Gomez.

Having said that I think we have to stop dumping on Gomez. He fills a vital role on this team and THERE is NO OTHER player capable of doing it. He can skate for miles with the puck. And although he often ends up doing nonsense with it, when he is skating it means the other team does not have the puck. It was like Lafleur (and I am not comparing) but when Guy was having a bad night, you always wanted him getting the puck cause it meant that Canadiens were gonna keep possession for much of his shift.

And that will be Gomez’s biggest contribution in the playoffs unless he floats as he has done some nights.

6. solomio says:

Which is more pretentious posts that end in ” discuss ” or posts of ” questionnaires?

7. habstrinifan says:

Strange cause thi smorning while driving my bus I was seeing Koivu with us and Anaheim had taken Gomez and a prospect. Think the news of Koivu’s injury triggered the image.

Koivu would have been more productive I think, but the chemistry would have been difficult.

8. Danno says:

In that case, I take all the bad things I said about him back. He’s playing his role superbly.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

9. Danno says:

They’re not all hard choices IMHO

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

10. Mark C says:

There was just as much blacklash about trading Higgins than McDonagh, mostly people were just upset about Gomez. At least that’s how I remember it.