Update: Comments on the sacking of Gauthier and Gainey

SergeSavard
Now that the news has sunk in, the punditocracy is offering up pearls of wisdom and analysis.
Here’s some good late-day reading.

Red Fisher on his great and good friend Serge Savard

Dave Stubbs on Geoff Molson’s difficult, emotional day in shaking up Habs front office

Players react to Gauthier firing

Sean Gordon’s take

Gauthier’s draft record

Gauthier’s trades

• Renaud Lavoie offers a list of general manager candidates

Savard says new GM should be bilingual

Wow, what a day to be swamped at work and miss out on the news.

Well, whether some people liked it or not the cleansing was done today. I myself will admit that while I didn’t like seeing Bob Gainey being walked out, it did have to happen.

We have a clean slate, I really hope Serge Savard and Geoff Molson get this next hire right, it is critical. We cannot have a repeat of the last major cleanup where Houle and Tremblay were the replacements.

I will give the benefit of the doubt to virtually anyone they hire, unless of course the Televangelist Pierre McGuire is chosen, if that happens, I may have to consider the Jets finally getting my heart (even if only for 2 years as by then Pierre would be fired).

But today is a new day, I am hopeful with a high draft choice, a new wise GM, certainly a new coach our future gets brighter.

Bonne Chance Serge!

2. Un Canadien errant says:

Another benefit of the return of the Nordiques will be that I won’t be lectured as often about how there’s a great rivalry between the Leafs and the Canadiens. Because there isn’t.

The Canadiens have since the day I’ve been watching hockey been in a rivalry with the Bruins. Then the Flyers in the mid-seventies. The Nordiques vaulted to the top of my most-hated teams when they joined the league.

That’s it. Don’t tell me about the Leafs rivalry, that was half a century ago. In my lifetime, the Leafs were those jokers we swept in the first round two years in a row, the clowns with Mike Palmateer in net and ‘Tiger’ Williams as their ‘leader’.

How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

I was disgusted today as the Toronto Sports Radio stations tried to extol that Montreal was a much bigger mess than Toronto. We are effed up, no doubt, but Molson recognized and the team is doing its best to change course. We have some excellent prospects en route and a good draft pick. We also have some excellent core leaders Gionta, Markov, Cole, and Gorges.

For the nimrods on TSN Radio and Rogers Sportsnet to say Toronto is not worse off I found hypocrisy. This the same day they had call in shows for 2 hours because they felt Phaneuf was no captain but no one else on the roster was more worthy.

I could care less about the Leafs, but I live in their environment.

I don’t think Molson Panicked, I think he recognized it was time for a regime change. We will be better for it, and soon we will continue to challenge the Bruins, the Flyers and the Penguins for Eastern Conference Championships. I don’t forsee the Leafs being involved in this fight for much much longer.

3. joeybarrie says:

MINNESOTA. Well done boys. Thanks.

4. habsfan0 says:

Now that Pierre Gauthier is without a job, is he eligible to join the unemployable ex-hockey executive crew on l’Antichambre?

5. Un Canadien errant says:

Fascinating Antichambre tonight. I wish they’d let Jacques Martin speak more though, he’s got the insight. We can hear what the others think any other night.

6. hansolo says:

Geoff Molson’s comments to the scriveners (referenced above) were interesting. When asked about his ideal GM, he replied that no-one individual was capable of doing it all and that it was therefore important for the GM to surround himself with good people who had expertise in areas he did not. He specifically mentioned that a good GM could be a capologist, a negotiator or a lawyer.

Now who fits all three characteristics? Unless Geoff was deliberately spreading misinformation, the one that immediately comes to mind is Julien Brisebois.

7. dudurules says:

what the hell… can the lafs make tanking any more obvious?

8. Un Canadien errant says:

@ Bill: (does this @ make this my first ever Tweeter?)

Oh, and another thing Bill. I really, really can’t stand Tomas Kaberle, reviled him with glee when he was polluting the rosters of the Leafs and Bruins, loved to see his red-cheeked baby face when he’d skate back to the bench after being played for a fool and having let in a goal against. Meanwhile, I still have a weak spot for Mike Komisarek. I could stand his underperforming, but not Mr. Kaberle’s.

• joeybarrie says:

Wait. You prefer Komisarek to Kaberle?

• HardHabits says:

I couldn’t write both those names in the same sentence without holding my nose.

• Un Canadien errant says:

joeybarrie, my reasoning is on the previous page, same thread. Do the Control F search for either of those guys, it should be easy to find, many responses to my trial balloon.

• joeybarrie says:

The only thing I see about Komi is a poor shut down D who is a minus 17 in the last 2 seasons.
          Kaberle has a much better upside. He can actually do something good. Komi cant shut down, hit, fight or score. 4.5 million uselessness
          Kaberle just should be paired with someone who complements him.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Am I right in thinking that -17 on the Leafs is pretty much even-steven on another team?

Like I said, there are different degrees of horrible, and I think we can live with Mr. Komisarek’s brand more than the flaccid, disconnected version of Mr. Kaberle’s.

• Bill says:

@You

Just wanted to say this regarding your analogy that trading Kaberle for Komi is like the guy with 8 bicycles who decides to trade one for a canoe, because he doesn’t have a canoe.

It’s more like the guy with 8 bicycles who decides to trade one for a punch in the face.

I would actually sooner trade Kaberle for a canoe than for Komisarek!

Full Breezer 4 Life

9. HabsinLA says:

If the Leafs inevitably blow up their team I’ve seen some posts suggesting we make a run at Kessel. I think he’ll be real expensive and really not that worth it. But how about Franson or Schenn? They basically got Franson for free and the Leaf’s coaching staff never liked him for whatever reason, but he’s a big guy that can hit. Schenn was a highly touted prospect and I think the coaching staff really mishandled his development, I think he is definitely salvageable into a top 4 D. Would you take either for a 2nd rounder?

• Marc10 says:

Kessel is a fantastic goal scorer. He’s also the softest player in the League (and I include Kaberle and Weber in that assessment… OK… maybe not…)

But yep. He meets the criteria. Goal scoring.

Parise also fits that bill and is a much more complete player, but I don’t think he’d ever join the Habs. He trains in LA in the Summer.

I’d look at the draft to rebuild at this stage. Screw free agents and their big contracts. We’re stuck for the next couple of years with Gio, Kabs, Bourque… Let’s not add to our load. Why not make the most of it and tank hard, keep the core and build a real winner from the ground up.

• joeybarrie says:

Didn’t I read somewhere that Kessel is known as the easiest player in the league to put off his game?
      No thank you.

• HabsinLA says:

I think both of you missed my point. I’m not suggesting we get Kessel, I’m suggesting we get Schenn or Franson, both Ds who had shown promise, fits our criteria of a 5/6 D that can hit and who I really think are victims of the team/system.

• joeybarrie says:

I was kind of agreeing with you and adding to it. I was reading some pro kessel post below, so I wanted to say it. Actually I dislike the Leafs so much, I am not familiar enough with how good those two really are.

• Chris says:

I laughed when I saw that. The Sedins were also in the top 5.

If it’s so easy, shouldn’t somebody start doing it? The Sedins are pretty automatic to be in the top-10 in league scoring since the lockout, while Kessel is one of the precious few NHL players who has scored 30 goals in the past 4 seasons. The others are Ilya Kovalchuk, Alex Ovechkin, and Jarome Iginla. Daniel Sedin would have had he not been hurt last year while Patrick Marleau (needs 2 more) and Rick Nash (needs 3 more) still have a chance to join the club. Pretty decent company.

The Islanders win tonight which assures Montreal of a top six pick. So far, so good.

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the biggest question/concern I have today ?
    …well, I thought Geoff Molson said all the right things today …except ONE
    …it was when He admitted He was not ‘a hockey Guy’
    …that He will ‘delegate’ the decision of Who will be Our next GM to Serge Savard
    …Serge was likely one of the 2 best GMs We have had since Pollock, but THAT ain’t sayin’ much …Serge Savard was no ‘genius’ as Our GM
    …Serge will be biased by His prejudices …’MUST be bilingual’ (which I 99% agree with Myself that ‘if possible’ the new GM ‘should’ be bilingual, but if by any miracle a Lou Lamoriello was interested ? and available ? would Serge pass such an opportunity for a lesser qualified bilingual Coach ?)
    …Serge will be biased, I believe, to His established circle of friends …Myself, My first choice is Patrick Roy as Coach …will Serge hire ‘a hater’ of Patrick Roy, making it impossible for Roy as Coach ?
    …there are plenty of positives to Savard, like His ‘experience’ in which hopefully He has learned from mistakes during His own reign as the Habs’ GM …His impressive, self-made business success …His legacy and affection for the raison d’etre of the Montreal Canadiens
    …etc., etc., etc.
    …but I would be MUCH more happy today if I could hear Geoff Molson say today ‘I KNOW HOCKEY INSIDE OUT AND I KNOW WHAT THE MONTREAL CANADIENS NEED IN A GENERAL MANAGER, …AND YOU WILL BE ADVISED OF MY DECISION IN THE NEAR FUTURE’
    …I don’t think the choice of Our new GM should be made by Our ex-GM, but that this critical culture-changing decision should be the reflection of the business philosophy and objectives of the Person whom OWNS the Team …not His employee or consultant (Savard)
    …if You can not make those decisions on Your own Geoff, WHY ??? the heck did You buy the Team and make Yourself PRESIDENT ???
    …just My hard-ball cranky opinion :)

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song: Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

12. Bill says:

Figure Skating highlights on TSN following Farber/Gagnon interview … really needed to see Tessa Virtue after that. What a woman. And World Champion again! Congrats to her (and Scott).

Full Breezer 4 Life

13. Cal says:

Let’s see, now.
    PG gone. Check
    Laffs lose. Check
    Gooins lose. Crosscheck.

A pretty good day.

• HabsinLA says:

As much as I like watching the Leafs lose, I’d rather not see them in the draft lottery. I think the Habs, Isles, Oilers and Wild will all play around .500 hockey. The Leafs, they don’t even look like a hockey team anymore. There would be nothing more annoying than watching the Leafs leapfrog in the draft.

14. habs001 says:

Komisarek = a d who is a poor skater,constantly gets beaten in the d zone, no shot and terrible eye hand coordination for a nhl pro …constantly gets beaten at rebounds in front of his net as he misses the puck and opposition players sticks are way faster…would be a backward step to bring him back…

15. Kimberly2u says:

Ha ha Mr Floppy finally flopped

16. KLear says:

Despite all that’s been said, there are some realties here.

PG, JM, and BG are not the second coming of Satan. This team got caught in the cross hairs of bad coincidences; a team built for speed when the NHL decided to turn its back blindly to the antics of the Bruins and others, a team that has been leading the NHL in man games lost to injuries for 2 years, team hounded by the media at every turn.

The Habs, like all other NHL teams, will NOT compete for the cup EVERY year. The 70s are over. And until everyone gets that fact, and lets this team function normally, GMs and coaches will still be fired prematurely here. Its time the media and the fans recognize it. Give the team some breathing space.

Irony is, in 3 years when this team is having success with Price, Plekanec, Subban, Pacioretty, Markov, Emelin, Eller, White, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bournival, Leblanc, Pateryn, and this years pick, everyone will have forgotten PG and BG. Funny how it works, isn’t it ?

17. ont fan says:

Well our fate is in our own hands because it’s pretty certain that Minnie or the Leafs aren’t going to get any more points this season. Luckily the Isles aren’t pathetic.

18. neumann103 says:

Bruins lose in shootout

Suck it Thomas

“Et le but!”

19. Stev.R says:

I knew from day 1 of training camp that the leafs would get off to a hot start and collapse late in the season. Wilson put too much pressure on his starters to get into top form from the first day of camp. Now they are completely burnt out physically and emotionally.

On the other hand, Martin didn’t play our starters at all (some of it due to injuries) in training camp, and we got off to a bad start and were never able to recover.

20. 69HABS says:

BG brought in SG. He could have taken SG with him when he left!

• habsfan0 says:

Do you mean PG?

• 69HABS says:

Scott Gomez

• Stev.R says:

SG=Scott Gomez?

I think GM has had a rough year. First with the firing of PP, then JM, now PG and BG. Good thing he brought in SS to help him out. Hopefully the new GM, who I think will either be JB, MB, or FG will know what to do with SG, and will understand the ABC’s of the NHL, NHLPA and CBA (lets hope GB doesn’t cause another lockout). Lets hope TT gets the chance to draft either MG or AG, and we can find another FA that will perform like EC, but won’t be expensive because we have to sign PK and CP. Not to mention next summer we will need some money to resign MP and DD. I wish it were possible to sign ZP, but I don’t think the money will allow it. Maybe that should be the GMs first move. Bring in ZP and somehow keep us under the cap without losing anything too important.

• habsfan0 says:

BG,SG,PG.

Whatever.

They’re all NFG.

21. Bill says:

Renaud’s list is … interesting. Check out the cursory subheading, “Les Anglophones”.

You know, even if you forget about that, his list is horrendous. Apparently, French-speaking Allan Walsh (yes, that Allan Walsh) is a better choice in his mind than Jim Nill. Wow.

Full Breezer 4 Life

22. Hoegarden says:

Wow, just logged in from Manila Airport and I can only say “Bravo” to G.Molson for this great piece of news.
    Now, my wish is to see Vinny Damphousse as replacement for the ghost.
    I also hope they give Eric Desjardins a spot as assistant coach, to give our young promising D-corps a good teacher of the game.
    Heading home feels much better knowing that the house cleaning has started.

23. Bill says:

Could everyone here please stop posting using the following phrases:

1) “drinking the kool-aid”
    2) “threw him under the bus”

JFC!

Full Breezer 4 Life

24. Kimberly2u says:

Leafs fans were chanting for the Bluejays…getting nasty in Toranna

25. Kimberly2u says:

Now 7-1 ….leafs are awful

26. JoeC says:

So i know its not allowed by the NHL to purposly “TANK” a season, but am i the only one that thinks the Leafs are doing that ? I mean, there not even trying, they had what 12 shots and down 6-1? And they went whast 3 games without even scoring? I mean, WTF, an NHL team cannot have so little compete in them, i hope the NHL looks at what Burkes doing and does something about it, because, the Leafs are DISGUSTING and making a mokery of professional Hockey.

27. HabFanSince72 says:

Go Isles.

Go Wild.

28. Kooch7800 says:

I have a feeling the leafs are going to get a higher draft pick than us…they are really mailing it in. Not good

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

29. otter649 says:

7-1 Flyers over Leafs – The Leafs goalie Ryss (sp) might have a nick name in his first career game…..Red Light

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I am so relieved that ‘the process’ has begun …finally
    …don’t know if the result of ‘the process’ will disappoint Us in the end, but at least there is an opportunity for an environment to reinvent the ‘culture’ of the Montreal Canadiens on the ice AND the executive suite,
    …I never again want to see Jacques Martin style hockey pollute the Bell Centre ice …I want high octane, fire-wagon hockey like I was privileged to see once upon a time …I want to, once again, see the quality and styles of Players obtained for Our Team to make that doable
    …I want a French-flair for Our Team …panache and personality, as well as brilliance and passion …it will not be easy, and it’s not like picking an apple off a tree …but, THAT is WHAT ??? I WANT !
    …and, that’s what I interpreted what Molson said He wants too today …make ‘the right decisions’ Geoff and it IS possible …make ‘the wrong’ decision Geoff ?, and We will be burning You in effigy at some future time :)

_________________________________________________________

…the Montreal Canadiens organization and Our Fans, as a whole need to feel this current cold frigid splash of reality, …this process will, hopefully, give Us a long needed sense of humility, not humiliation …and help to revive and renew Our tattered culture of high hockey ideals, and ultimate success in the near future
    …ride the wave, is all We can do as Fans: …Ownership must make the right choices, persevere, and act not talk

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

31. Un Canadien errant says:

All right, I’ll float this idea again, except I’m a little more serious this time:

How about we approach the Leafs and offer to take Mike Komisarek off their hands in return for offloading Tomas Kaberle on them? The contracts are virtually identical in terms of cap hit, dollars and term.

Reasoning:

1) I can’t stand Tomas Kaberle.

2) We desperately need the skillset that Mike has, and don’t really need Mr. Kaberle’s, especially with Andrei Markov back next season, and Raphaël Diaz and Yannick Weber still on the roster.

3) With a clearly defined role, maybe Mike can approach the level of play he showed while he was here. He wouldn’t be the big acquisition who has to justify his big free agency bucks he currently is in TO, but rather the guy slotted as a #5 or #6 defensive defenceman, the big strong guy who clears the net and inspires respect for our goalie.

Trying to make lemonade out of a lemon.

Fire away.

• matt jordan says:

I’d do that.
      As long as there’s a condition that Komisarek refuses to fight Lucic.

• habstrinifan says:

That’s why I would only do it if we have a big mean addition to D also meaning Weber Diaz and Campoli all gone. The Komisarek/Lucic thing must be handled by the Staubitz like additions to the team which would then let Koisarek feel comfortable and confident again.

• habstrinifan says:

I would make that trade… with one proviso..Diaz and Weber are also gone. If you add Mike K you must add a big tough D too. I think Mike is a kinda middle of the pack defenseman.. and with a good corps around him and godd coaching he would prosper. I like the way you explained it.. reduce expectations and specific role (stay at home fairly big and fairly gritty).

• JohnBellyful says:

Only if Burke bamboozles Montreal and insists on Gomez and Bourque as well to show his new employer how good a deal-maker he is, three-for-one.

• Un Canadien errant says:

We could be generous and throw them in, like we did when we tacked on a 6th round pick with John Kordic for Russ Courtnall. No point in not trying to make a trade where both teams win.

I’d keep René Bourque though, he’s a NHL’er, we don’t have a lot of those left on our roster. He’ll turn it around next season, when his head is on straight and the team has direction.

• JohnBellyful says:

I dunno, Burkie’s a shrewd dealer who plays hardball — look how he fleeced the Bruins. He might throw a temper tantrum and walk away from the trade if Bourquie isn’t included.

• Marc10 says:

I would do it in a heartbeat. Absolutely.

Done and done and done and done. Kaberle has to go and he would be a better fit back in TO. And vis versa…

• HabFanSince72 says:

You guys are nuts.

Komi is completely washed up.

He cannot play the game anymore.

• Bill says:

Do you actually not agree that Komisarek is considerably worse than Kaberle? This surprises me!

Kaberle can do two things well: make a pass out of his own zone and create offence.

Komisarek can do NOTHING. Nada. Zip. He’s done. It’s over. He can’t defend, can’t pass, can’t score, can’t even fight!

You’d be hating this trade within two weeks.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• punkster says:

It would be like remarrying the wife you divorced just a few years ago. Jeez!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think a change of scenery and renewed focus would help Mike. I haven’t really seen him play lately, I’m aware he’s been a healthy scratch, but that’s the level of play Tomas Kaberle been at too this season.

It’s also a question of fit. We have guys now who are undersized and timid, but are pretty handy with the puck and have wheels. Let’s keep the cheaper versions, those with youth and upside.

I used the example before of the guy who has eight bikes and is offered a canoe in exchange for one of the bikes. The bike might be worth more in terms of dollars, but for you the canoe is a better fit and has ultimately more value, since you don’t currently own one.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…2 reasons NOT to reacquire Komi
      …one: value does not equal contract …not worth more than $ 3 mil max
      …two: I have no stomach watching Lucic making Komi His b!%@h every time We must play the TeddyBears
      _________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Phil C says:

I see your logic, but as bad as Kaberle has been, Komisarek has been worse. His offensive skills are nil and his defensive game is in decline. At least Kaberle contributes offensively. A telling stat is team goals for and against (which include special teams, whereas plus/minus does not.
      GP/ Team GF/ Team GA
      Kaberle 70/ 67/ 58
      Komisarek 41/ 20/ 42

When you include Kaberle’s 30 goals for on the PP, he is actually contributing to the team, he is not a passenger like some players. Komisarek is washed up and hoping that he would find his old form at age 30 with a bad shoulder in a faster league is an enormous risk at best. The Habs need to stop making desperate moves and build the team properly.

• croozer says:

Please God NO!

Komisarek?
      I shared the optimism when this guy came up
      Finally – big tough D man
      It didn’t work out.
      I was glad the Habs didn’t re-sign him.
      Leaf fans laughed at the Habs when they “stole” him from us.
      Now he’s a $4M healthy scratch.
      Leaf fans can’t stand him.

No thanks

Kaberle needs to go but not at that price.
      get a pick – free up cap space – and call it a lesson learned.

Rather than have high-priced underachievers we’re better off with low cost journeymen and keep the cap space to use when a true gold nugget is up for grabs.
      Let the OTHER teams carry these stiffs on the payroll.

32. novahab says:

People wonder what kind of fire works Roy is going to bring. Well you just seen it today. Cross the line and your history I hope the players are aware.

33. novahab says:

PG and BG were fired because they disagreed with Molson that Roy will have full say on player personal and the draft. You will see Roy and Savard at the draft table but Roy will be pulling the strings.

34. Un Canadien errant says:

I hate the fact that Bob McKenzie is talking about how high a price goaltenders will fetch for their teams this summer, guys like Jonathan Bernier and Cory Schneider. We were unlucky that we traded Jaroslav Halak when the demand wasn’t so high.

• boonie says:

Unlucky, stupid … Tomayto, tomahto

• matt jordan says:

I wonder how much truth there is to this rumour, from Tim Wharnsby on the CBC:

“Gauthier dealt Halak, an impending restricted free agent, to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for forwards Lars Eller and Ian Schultz. The latter, a 22-year-old right wing, has yet to play in the NHL and has just nine goals in 98 games. This shocked the hockey world. Many GMs wanted the chance to acquire Halak, but Gauthier talked to only the Blues and didn’t get enough return. “

• Un Canadien errant says:

I tend to think that we didn’t get enough in return for Jaro, but am swayed by the arguments of the Artists Formerly Known As The Kool-Aid Drinkers who stated that the market for goaltending was dead that summer, after Chicago won the Cup with a no-name goalie. I wish we’d picked up a player who wasn’t still a project.

Of course, player development has been a weakness, and I also wish we had decided to send Lars down to Hamilton for his first season instead of playing him for low minutes the last two seasons.

35. habstrinifan says:

Since everyone is doing it I am gonna to.

Who I think it would be…

Roy GM/Brisebois assistant GM.
    Hartley coach.. Carbonneau asst coach.
    Savard Advisor.
    Timmins head scouting/drafting.

Tell me the second team is not a powerful, respected, experienced and multi-talented team with the balls to answer to the fan as the team ‘rebuilds’.

Who I think it SHOULD BE.

Pierre McGuire GM/Brisebois asst GM.
    Carbonneau coach/Robinson asst coach/ with the two Randys on staff.
    rest as above.

36. alfieturcotte says:

FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER

Red Fisher could not be more correct – what took Geoff Molson so long? I have been calling for Gauthier’s firing for 2 years now. The cost of indecision — Markov’s hefty salary, Kaberle, Bourque, and AK46 for a pathetic 2nd rounder.

I am not keen on Savard insisting that the next GM speak french. I would instead focus on the brst person out there WITH experience. As far as Savard is concerned, I can only hope that his tenure is short lived. He has been out of hockey for too long now, and in any case, his record as GM is not pristine. Get the best guy out there Serge, forget about Quebec politics.

A french born Montrealer, living in NYC…..

• Habfan4lfe says:

….”,__,,,,,,,,,,,__/;;;;;;;;;/
      ……::.:.:.:.:.:.:.;.);;;;;;;;;/:
      …….,,,,,—~~~~;;;;;;;;,”::::
      ……….”"”~~–,,,,,,,,,,-”::::::::::
      ……………….::::::::::::::::::::::

37. habstrinifan says:

Bob MacKenzie basically said the same thing I posted. Kessel and Lupul just wont work under Carlyle. I hope our new GM is keeping an eye on this developing break-up.

38. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m not very often a radio listener, but enjoyed 990 today considering the events …Serge Savard, Chris Nilan, Pierre McGuire, Pierre LeBrun
    …lots of interesting conversation ……though I missed some when My older daughter gave Me an ill-timed phone-call from Connecticut (but, then, no such thing as ‘an ill-timed phone-call’ when it’s from Your Daughter :) )
    …so many options out there
    …everything mostly speculation,
    …the only clear consensus I heard, IMO, was that Gomer and Kaberle must be off Our Team to raise Our on-ice standards …a solution to ‘what to do’ with those contracts ONE of Our core on-ice priorities

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

39. boonie says:

We’re (what) 5-4-4 since the deadline. Not bad. Not enough for PG to retain his job, but decent.

So, if Molson wasn’t auditioning PG then why didn’t he fire Gauthier earlier in the season and let the next GM start their rebuilding before Gauthier acquired worthless rene bourque and multi-year tomas kaberle – desperation moves to save a pathetic season???

40. nickster13 says:

Its been said but how about Marc Crawford as coach? He has lots of experience, speaks a fair bit of french, and is a respected hockey person. Hire another people person for Assistant coach. In my mind, there is no better candidate that has experience, speaks french and is respected.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

41. HabFanSince72 says:

Chris Chelios for an aging Denis Savard.

Leclair and Desjardins for Recchi.

Claude Lemieux for Sylvain Turgeon.

Kirk Muller & Mathieu Schneider for Pierre Turgeon and Vladimir Malakhov.

• boonie says:

2 cups. I’d trade just about anything for a cup every seven years.

• boonie says:

Drafted Roy, lemiuex, richer (our last drafted 80 point player in a Habs uniform), desjardin, corson, svoboda, …

Traded for smith, green and others that won cups.

• alfieturcotte says:

Savard did not trade for Rick Green and Ryan Walter. I believe that this was Grundman’s move (by the way, we gave up Langway, Engblom, Laughlin for those guys).

Savard’s trade record is spotty at best — the Chelios trade has got to go down as one of the most lopsided deals in NHL (not just Canadiens) history).

• Marc10 says:

No questions those were bad deals. I look at Savard’s early tenure though… He built a great club (all the way up to 89).

Not every decision was terrific, but that 89 club, although slightly edged out by the all conquering Flames, was a fantastic team.

- Drafted Roy – one of the greatest of all time
      - Built a big fast team loaded warriors and local talent
      - Won the Quebec Team War with Quebec when that team was on the rise and we were going nowhere
      - In and out of hockey this guy has been a tremendous success

Here’s hoping he still has something to contribute. If he does, odds are we’ll get something good out of it.

• HardHabits says:

He also brought in Damphousse, Bellows and Muller and won a Cup shortly thereafter. Savard had a great season for the Habs when they won the Cup but fell to injury during the play-offs. Chelios was traded because was banging more than Propps head against the glass.

Savard’s bad trades were more a cause of pressure from Ronald Corey and due to an increasingly tanking Quebec economy.

42. habstrinifan says:

Some observations:
    Many here owe Tony Marinaro an apology.

It should teach us that despite the failings, people like Marinaro who live and breathe sports and Montreal work their butt off to dig and dig and create a network of contacts to obtain behind-the-scenes information.

Marinaro’s scenario came thru 100%. Gauthier was FIRED after a month or so of even greater invisibility. You could almost tell that he was ‘out of the picture’.
    And Gainey chose to leave (if agreed mutually between him and Molson.. Molson went out of his way to show that Gainey is still part of the family.)

Marinaro also talked about a growing relationship and meetings between Molson and Savard. So I think many in HIO owe Marinaro an apology.

Kessel has had no shots in over 3 periods I think. I have posted many times since Carlyle’s hiring how much of a mismatch this was between coach and personnel.

So we know there is gonna be a new GM. Time for some GM’ing.

Lets say Leafs put Kessel on the market. I think if Carlyle is coach and Burke GM next season for sure Kessel will be available. Just aint gonna work for him in Toronto under Carlyle.

So if Leafs puts Kessel on the market.

A: DO habs EXPRESS INTEREST.
    B: Woudl you trade say an Eller or Plekanec for Kessel?

Before you scoff check out his stats. And remember HABS need scoring!

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’d like to see Kessel here for sure. He’s better than Cammalleri for instance.

The problem is Burke gave up the (future) farm to get him. If he trades him he will need to get enough in return. Plex for Kessel becomes Plex for Seguin, Dougie Hamilton and a pick.

I think he’d want MaxPac plus.

• habstrinifan says:

I dont think he would be in that strong a position. If Carlyle is coach it is an untenable situation. So either Burke and Carlyle are gone or Burke better start fixing his mess. I say he puts Kessel on the market. (As I write Kessel is serving a team penalty… if i heard correctly).

I hope our new GM starts getting really involved in all ‘player baits’ around the NHL and has a team that designs packages to tempt other GM’s.

I think Kessel could be had for say Eller and another prospect/pick.

• matt jordan says:

Agreed, no way Burke can let go of Kessel, unless he’s bringing in a really big name in return.

• Un Canadien errant says:

No, Phil Kessel is a finishing piece for a Cup contender, not someone you build an organization around for the long haul. There’s no denying his talent, but he doesn’t fit in Montréal’s plans.

Also, Mr. Marinaro predicting that Mr. Gauthier will be fired hardly qualifies him as Kreskin. If he gets props, I want some too, I’ve been on record on that one months ago, and I don’t have a staff and resources like he does.

• habstrinifan says:

He didnt ‘predict’ He put his reputation on the line and some pastered him for it.

And Kessel comes in as a ‘piece’ We have a core we can build around already. We need to add pieces skilfully.

• HabFanSince72 says:

His reputation did you say?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sorry trinifan, but he would be a much too expensive piece for us, we’d be robbing Peter to pay Paul. No point acquiring him if we lose Max Pacioretty and a bunch of picks/prospects. That’s running to stand still.

The team that would benefit from Phil Kessel might be the San Jose Sharks, for example, if they decided that a scoring winger next to Joe Thornton is their best shot at a Cup the next couple of years.

Not saying that we can’t use him, just that the timing and cost aren’t right for us.

• habstrinifan says:

Absolutely not in for losing people like Max Pacs.. but if Burke comes to me and says Eller and Plekanecs for Kessel.. I would do it.

Let me add that I think it is easy to identify the absolutely specific needs of the team and so I wont give up the prospects that we have that may fill those needs but I would give up the players who may be ‘on the bubble’ as far as being perfect fits for our near future.

You need a big body D.. so dont give up Tinordi etc for instance.

You need a skilled hard working forward who has character. While we know what Pleks can do we can also feel good that Gallagher may be able to come in ad do same. gallagher has shown tremendous consistency and improvement… so you can possibly give up Pleks.

We need scoring. No one in the system seems ready to even come close to providing what Kessel has. So i would give up Eller and Pleks.

• Stev.R says:

Kessel is a cancer (too soon?) to the dressing room. He can stay in Toronto.

• otter649 says:

A bunch of people probably knew what was going on in Montreal’s head off ice but Marinaro was the only one with the big mouth….

• croozer says:

NO to Kessel.
      Talented – one way player – too soft.
      When he scores he’s gold but when he doesn’t score he’s nothing:
      Won’t skate , won’t backcheck. nothing.
      You know – like Yzerman before Scotty turned him into a hockey player.

This is exactly the kind of dreamy, wishful thinking “instant fix” moves that have killed the Habs in recent years.
      The Kessel move will end up costing Burke his job as Boston enjoys the fruit of those top picks.
      Burke chose the “one player away from the playoffs” road and now the Leafs are upside down in the ditch.

Habs are not one or two players away from a Cup hunt

Habs need to sign-up the young guys
      Draft smart.
      Dump salaries – yes – even for a bag of pucks or a pick.

get 20 guys that want to work and want to wear the CH
      If you can make a deal to upgrade talent then go ahead but the basic rule applies – gotta work and gotta want to wear the CH.

PASSION – NOT PASSENGERS!

• habstrinifan says:

So as we rebuild around the consensus core and add those genius GM/COACH may we get a player like Kessel anddo like

“You know – like Yzerman before Scotty turned him into a hockey player.”.

See where I am going with this.. great coach, great GM’ing, a more complete tean and we slide Kessel in and presto… diamnond in the rough change.

• croozer says:

Yeah I know what yer sayin’
          BUT
          He makes way too much money
          He’s too much of a risk to take cap space and a roster spot on a rebuilding team – hence the problem the Leafs now have.
          There was a reason Boston dropped him and they needed a 30 goal guy as much or more than anyone!

IF the Habs were a solid contender, and IF Kessel wasn’t getting millions and IF he made the committment to re-invent his game then maybe you make some time for him.

But bringing a guy like Kessel here and HOPING he turns into a solid 2 way player is the kind of move that got the Habs where they are today.

• boing007 says:

Agreed. No to Kessel.

Richard R

43. jo_maka says:

I think the following is a natural:

GM: Pierre Lacroix (brought Roy and the best Bourque to the Avs if I’m not mistaken)
    Coach: Patrick Roy
    Asst: Benoit Groulx / Andre Tourigny
    GM advisor: Serge Savard / Julien Brisebois
    Town Drunk: Youpp!

44. Caper says:

In reading Red’s article about Serge Savard-I respect Savard very much as a player . As a GM i thank him for the 2 Cups, however, as bad as Gauthier’s trading was, Savard wasn’t any better. Been there , done that.

45. Rugger says:

Wow, spent all day at a symposium with no internet to come home to this!

46. JohnBellyful says:

MONTREAL – A dark horse has emerged as the leading candidate to replace Pierre Gauthier as general manager of the Montreal Canadiens – and he doesn’t live in North America.
    A confidante of team owner Geoff Molson and adviser Serge Savard says they are seriously considering hiring someone from outside professional hockey to lead the team back to the Stanley Cup playoffs. His name: Jacques Clouseau.
    “It’s thinking so far outside the box that a lot of jaws around the NHL will drop for sure if the Canadiens go ahead with it, but, to be honest, it makes a lot of sense,” the source said.
    “For one, he speaks French, which puts him ahead of 75 per cent of prospective candidates. Two, he’s retired, which means the team won’t have to get permission from another club to speak to an employee. Three, as a former inspector, he knows how to get to the bottom of things. Okay, the team’s already at the bottom of things. What I’m talking about is all the mysterious stuff that’s plagued the team, particularly the surfeit of injuries. It’s almost like there’s a saboteur at work. If there is, Clouseau’s the man to find out who it is and put a stop to it.”
    The source acknowledged Clouseau comes with some baggage.
    “The man’s an idiot. Okay, maybe that’s a bit strong. He has a reputation for being bumbling, so who better to make the transition from Gauthier. But here’s the thing. He comes across as being clumsy and stupid – yet every case he was given, every assignment he was handed, he got the job done.”
    “And he did this despite having a homicidal psychopath standing in his path every step of the way. And who came out on top every time? Clouseau. So there’s no question he’ll be able to handle the French press in Montreal.”
    The source said Clouseau, as “a dark horse” – “more like horse’s ass,” said a rival source – will come under intense scrutiny by the media and fans for knowing nothing about the game.
    “But so what?” he said. “Look at the geniuses the Canadiens have had for the past 20 years. And the Leafs. These two teams haven’t exactly cornered the market on Stanley Cups with their collective wisdom. It’s time the Canadiens went in the opposite direction. Don’t go looking for someone with hockey smarts. Hire someone with hockey dumbs. When it comes to dumb, Clouseau’s got it in spades.”
    The source did have one bit of advice for the Canadiens organization: “Make sure everything is nailed down and put all priceless art pieces in storage. And for gawd’s sake, don’t let him near the players.”

47. boonie says:

About bloody time. The Canadiens just become a viable franchise again. Wonder how long it’s going to take a real GM to fix this mess.

And, please, don’t tout Julien Brisbois as a possible candidate. Lawyers can structure contracts all day long. It’s not a basis for building an organization. If he had been the GM of the Bulldogs or a junior team, he would have some credentials. Other than being our unimaginative capologist under a perma-loser GM, he has no business being considered.

Savard is a winner — in every facet of playing hockey, managing hockey and businesses outside hockey. Too bad his group wasn’t willing to overpay for this incarnation of the team. We would have been better sooner. Alas.

I am confident he’ll set the ship right.

• HabFab says:

BriseBois was the GM of the Bulldogs so whatever…

• Habsrule1 says:

Actually, I heard Pierre Lebrun (I know, another idiot, right) saying that Brisebois is much more than a lawyer and cap geek and that he is a very good talent evaluator and would be among his top choices.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mike Bone says:

BriseBois WAS the GM of the Bulldogs, my fair genius. And Savard’s name might have been on the top of the management team, but Patrick Roy was the winner in 86 and 93. Other than being completely wrong, you’re right.

48. Roy93 says:

If I’m structuring this damn club it should be the following and nothing less.

GM – Julien Brisebois
    ASST. GM – Pierre McGuire
    Head Coach – Bob Hartley
    Assistant Head Coach – Patrick Roy

If Patrick doesn’t want to be assistant than let’s move on. No NHL experience? Sorry you’re not coaching my Montreal Canadiens! Just because your a legend doesn’t make you a good coach. You need to earn your strips first.

• ABHabsfan says:

With that handle, you caught me off-guard with those comments. That being said, you have my vote; that’s pretty much what I would like to see as well. But at this point I’m not sure what would cause the biggest the biggest schmozzle; hiring Roy or not hiring him.
      A major factor in the hiring of #33 is one that has not been discussed much; how would a giant ego legend of a goalie effect our current goalie? I have to say I don’t think Roy as coach looking over CP’s shoulder daily is good for his career.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Habsrule1 says:

Boggles my mind how anyone can think having the greatest goalie of all time to help our current goalie would be anything but amazing.
        I think Price would be thrilled.

Go Habs Go!!

• Caper says:

Patrick Roy will take nothing other than a postion of control. He will be no one’s assistant. He doesn’t have to take anything as the the Nordiques await.

• badbalance says:

I really Like the McGuire as Asst. GM he has very good hockey sense…

• SlovakHab says:

I’m glad you are not a GM then!

• boonie says:

Other than Hartley, not one person on your list has held a position at pro level (junior doesn’t count) that would qualify them as a candidate let alone our choice.

Keep trying.

• matt jordan says:

Actually, Pierre McGuire won a few Stanley Cups with the Penguins as an assistant coach and scout, and spent time as the assistant GM in Hartford, while Brisebois is the assistant GM of Tampa Bay.

Next.

• alwayssunny says:

I highly doubt McGuire is going to leave what he is doing for any assistant job. I’d like to see Patrick in the role you suggest but I doubt that too, unless maybe Robinson or Lemaire were HC. You get the impression that there aren’t many guys Roy will listen to (see Tremblay, M.). The team is a mess right now, people can cry about injuries and how we aren’t far away all they want. Gainey and Gauthier did long term damage. So an experiment with Patrick Roy as head coach right now wouldn’t bother me a bit. It’s not like the stakes are high, like we are fiddling with a contender. GM I hope they get a stable, rational hockey guy, so not Patrick, but I’d love to see him behind the bench. If not now then maybe someday.

• Mike Bone says:

You’re basing all this on the candidate’s ability to speak French. You are guilty of the tunnel vision that has shackled this team to mediocrity for decades now. If you’re cool with that, I hope you don’t represent the majority.

49. If someone told you at the beginning of the season..that by the time this season ends Gauthier, Martin and Gainey will no longer be part of the organization.. I am quite sure 90% of the HI/O would be going crazy partying.

It’s a good move.

50. HabFab says:

See a lot of posters talking about Savard running the team now BUT unless someone has a better translation, sounded to me like Larry Carriere was running the team in the interim.

• Ali says:

Thats what I heard too.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Quite right, Larry Carrière is the interim GM of the team, will run the day-to-day affairs. To say that Serge Savard is running the team is wrong. This however does not diminish the immense power he will wield in the next few weeks. If for no other reason than that, everyone in the organization will be extra polite and cheerful and helpful when he’s around.

• Stev.R says:

Savard is just helping pick the new guy. It’s nice to have someone that has been a GM for the Habs around when they interview candidates. He can ask questions that Geoff Molson wouldn’t.

51. slapshot777 says:

The Leafs can’t even tank gracefully. Did anyone see how Gustafsson flipped to the ice. He never got hit in the knee. I think that it was planned that he would it make it look like an injury. Gustafsson basically jumped on the ice, what a wierd way to fall if indeed he was struck on the knee.

Burke is basically looking to try and beat the Habs to a better pick overall. Burke really hates the Habs and will do anything to try and show up the Habs. All season the Leafs were ahead of the Habs and both Burke and Wilson were all smiles and chuckles, then came the collapse so now the Leafs are eliminated Burke wants to badly beat the Habs for the better draft pick. The Leafs will stoop to anything to throw the games in hopes the Habs will win the last few games and catapult them past the Leafs so he can have the last laugh.

52. nickster13 says:

IMO we should hire Patrick Roy for coach of Hamilton. and Keep Cunneyworth as coach of the Habs. This will be beneficial for 2 reasons:
    1. Roy can get some AHL seasoning with professionals and maybe take over the Habs reigns 1 year later.
    2, Cunneyworth gets his full calendar year to implement his system and prove his worth, and if he fails, then see point number 1.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Likely outcomes:

1. Roy tells us to take a hike and becomes coach/GM of the Quebec Coyotes.

2. Nathan McKinnon.

• nickster13 says:

2 is a problem? Yes and no! But that’s clearly not my point

Similarly, if Cunneyworth is such an awful coach, why is Gauthier the one getting the boot?

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Cunny’s getting sacked in two weeks.

He has less chance of coaching the Habs next year than Claude Julien.

• HabFab says:

I didn’t get any indication from Molson’s speech that he was a TANK sort of guy.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Coach Cunneyworth has underwhelmed and there is no reason other than sentimentality to keep him in his post. He is a poor fit for the position, hasn’t produced results. There is a lot of baggage that he has accumulated in his short tenure that will hamper him if he continues in his role.

I hear a lot of comments that he never had a chance, but that’s being inaccurate. What actually happened was that he was parachuted into a very difficult situation, with very little support, and he proceeded to fumble the ball, instead of making something of the opportunity.

No ill will, no harm done really, he’s a good guy and will get another shot, but it’s time to move on.

Think of Randy as that really nice girl you used to date and eventually broke up with, who’s now married with kids and happy and successful at what she does. You’re happy she’s where she’s at, but you have no illusion that she (and you) could have had the same results in your situation.

• Mike Bone says:

Plus, it would make the Habs eligible for the Nathan McKinnon sweepstakes in 2013.

53. FanCritic says:

Lets start by saying this is a good day for the Montreal Canadiens not a great day. we don’t know who’s gonna be the new GM or who’s gonna be the new Coach yet. when they do bring them on board the decisions they make will have us all back here making the same comments that we have being making for the past 19 years or will the comments be more positive. lets hope so. we have a good start to having a good team once again in Montreal up front with the likes of Cole, Desharnais, Pacioretty, Plekanec and Gionta. if they want a great team get rid of the remaining forwards bring in good secondary scoring. some changes needed on Defence as well.

54. Psycho29 says:

From today’s budget:
    “The CBC also got hit, with its base funding cut 10 per cent over three years, meaning a reduction of $115 million by 2014-15.”

Gee I hope the Coach’s Collar segment is safe…

55. Un Canadien errant says:

Very happy that the uncertainty has been lifted. Also very happy that Serge Savard will serve as Mr. Molson’s advisor in the GM seach. We need to use this organizational strength (history, multitude of good hockey men who have played for the team) to our advantage.

Reposted from February:

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 29, 2012

The Canadiens’ succession plan

After some thought, here is my best guess/birthday wish of what the Canadiens’ management team should be going into the draft.

1) Director of Player Recruitment and Development: No change in this position, as far as I can tell Trevor Timmins is doing a good job and should continue in his post.

2) Head Coach: Patrick Roy is a fiery, sometimes hotheaded individual, but my hunch is that we need some passion and leadership behind the bench. Mr. Roy will provide this, he has a big personality and will inspire his charges to fight and win. Officials will be put on notice when they miss calls, we won’t be doormats and easy marks in this respect.

Additionally, he is a former player with impeccable credentials who will command respect from everyone but especially from his players, and won’t brook anyone not bending to the team program. All these considerations would be a welcome change from the current coaching régime.

Mr. Roy also has shown that he has the desire and skill for coaching. He could have sat at home living off his earnings and being a retired gentleman star, but he demonstrated he still has the competitive fire by purchasing the Québec Remparts and serving as the head coach. He also is the General Manager of the team, and while there isn’t complete correspondence between being a NHL and LHJMQ GM, it will be good exposure for him and he will tend to have a better grasp of the issues facing the Canadiens’ GM and will allow him to better participate in meetings and decisions.

Finally, Patrick is independent, financially and otherwise. He will be coaching not to hang on for another contract, but to win, and will not be meek and timid, but rather proud and unrelenting.

3) Assistant Coaches: This is a very iffy area to make predictions on, since these nominations are really the purview of the Head Coach. My first and most fervent wish is that he be able to choose people he will feel comfortable with, rather than being assigned his assistants. Practically, there is no chance of this happening, as Mr. Roy would not accept this, and it wouldn’t make sense for the team to start this relationship on a disagreement.

Having said that, I would like it if we could repatriate Larry Robinson to coach the defencemen. Larry was a noble warrior and is a role model for our younger players. He established himself in Montréal and became an important member of the community, he can provide good direction to our players on how to deal with the ‘pressure’ of playing in Montréal and how to maximize the benefits. He now has decades of NHL coaching experience and can help Mr. Roy in terms of scouting notably.

For the forwards, I wouldn’t be averse to having Guy Carbonneau back, and for him to also be in charge of the special teams. I wouldn’t give him the head coaching position, since I’m worried about his reaction when he hit the wall in his first stint with the team. He is quoted as saying, when Bob Gainey was asking him what his next move would be to deal with an underperforming team rife with dissension, that he was “out of ideas” and “didn’t know what to do”. So while he may not have been ready to be an NHL head coach, and while I don’t see it favourably that he is working with RDS rather than coaching in junior or minor-league hockey, I do think he would be a good fit with this coaching team. He, like Mr. Robinson, played with Patrick Roy and they won Stanley Cups together. He had good results with the special teams of the Canadiens while he was coaching, and his team played an uptempo, offensive brand of hockey, which would be a great change from Jacques Martin’s ‘Système’.

For a goalie coach, we can retain Mr. Groulx, but the overriding concern for the next ten years is that the coach be the one who works best with Carey.

4) Vice-President and General Manager: Julien Brisebois has gone through all the steps and is ready to assume the role of an NHL General Manager. He is obviously intelligent and educated having earned his law degree and having practiced briefly with Heenan Blaikie. He then joined the Canadiens and was in charge of legal affairs before moving into the hockey side of the operations. He moved up in the organization and was notably in charge of the Hamilton Bulldogs as their GM, and the Canadiens Vice-President of Hockey Operations. He is currently the Assistant GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning and GM of their AHL affiliate.

With his background and training, Mr. Brisebois is eminently qualified to take the reins of the Canadiens. He has shown talent and produced results at every position he has filled. While he may not be a former NHL player, which some may think is absolutely necessary (I don’t), he has an educational and vocational background that few other aspiring GM’s can match, and the ability to wrestle with contracts and the salary cap. He is familiar with the organization, its people and culture, and the market it serves.

A great asset is that he is young and energetic, and could be the GM for a long long time. The Canadiens have had a revolving door in their management and ownership teams, something which we thought was going to end with the Bob Gainey-Guy Carbonneau team. While that didn’t work out, we have to strive to put in place a team that will inspire confidence and ensure stability.

He would also take over at a time when fans would be prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. They won’t be expecting a Stanley Cup in 2013, so he will have the luxury of time to put his plan in action. He can make long-term decisions and build a deep and competent organization on a foundation of intensive scouting and diligent player development, instead of knee-jerk free agent spending and turnstile-spinning coaches.

5) President: I would respectfully recommend that Geoff Molson does not need to be the President of the team. He can act as the Chairman of the Board, and take another step back from day-to-day operations.

For President, I would like someone who has credibility and respect in the league and embodies the Canadiens organization. This individual would need to advocate on our behalf against some of the more bizarre decisions the NHL takes on a day-to-day basis, as well as steering the Good (?) Ship NHL in the right direction, basically counteracting the effect of the Jeremy Jacobs, Mike Milbury and Don Cherry. My best guess of who could fill this role is, wait for it, Bob Gainey. He is already employed by the team, has a lot of hockey knowledge and can command respect around the league, in a way that Mr. Molson may find it hard to do for at least a number of years. He can act as a sounding board for Mr. Brisebois when needed. Others who could fill this role might be Jacques Lemaire, Ken Dryden or Serge Savard, although there are issues with each of these candidates as well. We can maybe also draft a dark horse such as Bobby Smith or Doug Risebrough.

Another benefit of having a ‘hockey man’ as President is that he would be able to take some of the load off Mr. Brisebois and allow him to concentrate on day-to-day operations. The President would relieve some of the press and PR duties that might fall on the GM’s shoulders, and to a smaller degree, the head coach.

• HabFab says:

Re #5 – this is the guy brought in to do the actual running of the Habs. http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=74528

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know this guy existed before your post.

I’m not one who castigates Geoff Molson for his role as an owner, he’s been patient and allowed the current régime to prove themselves or not. The last thing I wanted from my owner is a Jerry Jones or George Steinbrenner clone. Mr. Molson is proving to be anything but.

I do think it is unnecessary for him to be President, however, when we have such organizational history that many former hockey greats can fill the role. If Serge Savard evolved his role from Advisor to a role approaching that of President, as Mr. Molson took another step back from day-to-day ops, I’d be fine with that.

56. Kimberly2u says:

2-0 Flyers

57. HabFanSince72 says:

The one thing about all this that bothers me is: is this yet another seat of the pants decision?

Just like firing Martin without a plan B, or trading Cammy ’cause he opened his mouth.

• HardHabits says:

Seat of the pants would be announcing Gauthier’s replacement today. That they are going to go through a lengthy process is far from seat of the pants.

• Cal says:

I don’t think Savard is devoid of a plan. Neither is Molson. Savard will help Molson sift through the candidates. Why wait for next week. Every team in the NHL is abuzz with this news.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t think it’s kneejerk. Apparently Geoff Molson has been seeking advice from a lot of sources in recent weeks, so this didn’t happen out of frustration overnight.

I think to do the opposite, to pretend Mr. Gauthier was still the GM while Geoff Molson’s mind was already made up would have been dishonest and would have hampered the team’s search. Rather start the recruiting now, before the scramble at the end of the regular season when two or three other will join the dance.

Also, this prevents the kind of situation that happened last off-season, when they interviewed Jim Harbaugh for their coaching position when they already had an incumbent. They ended up not getting him, they set their coach up for a lame duck season, and now have to start all over again. The way Mr. Molson did it, he cleared the decks, and now can ask for permission to speak with candidates in various other organizations without rumours and with a good conscience.

58. ont fan says:

The Leafs have a guy named Ryannes in goal. Full tank mode.

59. remi_10069 says:

Damp in da housse

pipes

60. habbernack says:

A tsn poll is showing that the heavy favorite is Pierre McGuire for GM. This guy said on tsn 990 that he would trade for Vinny Lecavlier. That should disqualify him from the position.

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

• HardHabits says:

And the RDS poll said the next GM should be able to speak French. I think RDS wins.

• HabFab says:

How come everyone gets a vote for GM and Coach but moi??

• Da Hema says:

Heheh. No kidding! The TSN site is filled with Leaf fans who would love to see McGuire become the general manager of the Montreal Canadiens.

• nickster13 says:

Idiots, posting polls like that only get people riled up, and bring the debate back to the surface. Lovely.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Habsrule1 says:

Umm…McGuire speaks French.

Go Habs Go!!

• HardHabits says:

HR1.

It was more about trends in polling and the questions they asked. The anglo TSN crowd is all too familiar with McGuire and probably haven’t heard of most if not all of the other candidates except Patrick Roy. You’ll also notice that Patrick Roy is very close second with 3rd place going to other.

The RDS poll speaks directly to the franco base.

McGuire is American and I have never heard him speak French. Regardless he’s a douche in English so I can’t imagine he all of a sudden becomes this intelligent person in French. He is no Bob Gainey (for all the ragging I do on BG he is if anything a totally softspoken and articulte gentleman in two languages). I don’t even think Pierre McGuire is allowed in the Bell Centre. The idea that he could be GM of the Habs is the most preposterous load of garbage I have heard in quite a while. He has no connection to the Habs, has no GM experience, hasn’t had a real job in 15 years and is an absolute bombastic idiot. Melnick’s endorsement is the icing on the cake.

McGuire’s only possible value that I can see in him being the Habs GM would be all the material he’d provide for the numerous jokes we’d read here at HIO.

• alwayssunny says:

McGuire speaks French doesn’t he? I can come up with a list of reasons why I do not want to see him as the next GM but I don’t think that is one of them, unless I am mistaken. It’s one of the reasons I am glad Savard will be weighing in on the hiring. If he is impressed by McGuire, it won’t be for his blowhard, know it all, I told you so, attitude. This is a serious job. If he is the right guy, great, welcome aboard. I have my doubts about his ability to deal with people. He dazzles fans with his hockey trivia and his namedropping and fawning over players, but real negotiations are another matter. Serge is a levelheaded smart guy, he will size him up and if he is the right guy then good lets move forward.

• Habsrule1 says:

Agree 100%. I have a feeling he might do a good job, but I don’t know that. I simply think he deserves some consideration. Give him an interview and if he’s not right for the team, so be it.

Go Habs Go!!

• alwayssunny says:

Yeah no doubt he needs a look. He’s a hometown guy, and noone can question his knowledge about players. But lots of guys have that, though maybe not to his extent. There is no track record as GM so none of us know. I’m not opposed to going with a guy who hasn’t been a GM. But I wouldn’t be handing him the job just because he can tell you where guys played their midget hockey. And if he is interviewed and doesn’t get hired?.. he will renew an era of bitterness and backhanded compliments toward the organization.

• Habsrule1 says:

It was interesting to hear that he was in the final 2 for the Minnesota job, and one of the things that put Chuck Fletcher over the top was the fact that he took a job with Pittsburgh that McGuire had just turned down.

Go Habs Go!!

• alwayssunny says:

Yeah I heard about that too. I forget the whole story but I think Fletcher had the inside track for the Wild job anyway. Pierre has been asked to the dance a few times but there he is on TV when all is said and done. He’s doing alright so who even knows if he wants the job but it sure sounds like he does when he says things like he did today how he has contacted potential staff in the past who would love nothing more than to work under him. I hope they interview him, I think all realistic candidates should be considered. I have a suspicion that McGuire is in the perfect job for himself right now, talking, and that GM might be over his head, but what do I know. We’ll see how it goes

• habstrinifan says:

I agree!!!

• HabFanSince72 says:

McGuire and Molson went to school together and are fairly close.

• alwayssunny says:

That’s why I am glad Savard is being brought in to advise. I tip my hat to Geoff Molson for that. I don’t want decisions being made along those lines anymore.

• HardHabits says:

sunny: I have been hard on you for quite some time but I will give credit where it is due.

I totally agree with your POV concerning McGuire and like most if not all of things you’ve said on the subject.

• habstrinifan says:

McGuire speaks french… least I think so.

• croozer says:

Oh yeah.
      I don’t want anyone who talks about getting Vinnie to be anywhere near the controls.

As much as I hate it – Molson will probably have to go with a bi-lingual hire. That’s fine. But there’s nothing saying he can’t hire a bunch of advisors – french or not – to assist the new guy.

No panic trades please.
      No more deals for “big name” guys in the twilight of their careers.
      No more stupid talk about trading away heart and soul guys like Moen HOPING that someone will fill their spot.
      Make someone EARN that spot FIRST before you make a move.

61. Da Hema says:

Perhaps I am merely confused. Serge Savard states the main priority for the next general manager is to be bilingual. Geoff Molson states the main priority for the next general manager is assemble a Stanley Cup-winning team. We already have two conflicting organizational objectives in this dawn of a new day.

• HabFab says:

Molson is the only one with a vote, does that help you?

• Da Hema says:

Only if one has confidence Geoff Molson can fix this organizational mess. With all due respect to Geoff, one doesn’t attain great acumen merely by being born in a family that made a fortune by selling booze and was shielded from competition for hundreds of years by having a corrupt relationship with governments. I too sat on my knees watching the Montreal Canadiens when I was six years of age, but that doesn’t make me qualified to run this team.

• HabFab says:

Then you are sitting yourself up for a disappointment. Savard will advise but Molson will decide.

• Da Hema says:

Why would I be disappointed? I think my point was transparent — I don’t believe Geoff Molson possesses the requisite skills to lead an organization like the Montreal Canadiens. In other words, I am not expecting him to make the right decisions in the first place.

• Habsrule1 says:

Da Hema…how exactly did you come to that conclusion?
            So far it looks like the exact opposite. He stayed quiet and watched. Once he determined what needed to be done, he fired Gauthier and let Gainey walk, hired Savard to help choose a GM, and moved Carriere back upstairs where he belongs.
            Where’s the bad part?

Go Habs Go!!

• Stev.R says:

Have to find a guy that fits both then, won’t they.

• HabFab says:

You talking yesterday about the Bulldogs and next season. Counting Leblanc there are 10 returning prospects under contract from this season. Plus the seven or so graduating players leaving room to resign 8 RFA’s or whomever.

Have you ever checked out this site, one of the best for info on Hab prospects;

• Stev.R says:

I have only looked at that site a little bit. It’s an ugly looking site so I never gave it much attention. I didn’t know it was as thorough as it is. I don’t know much of the Bulldogs, and am looking forward to reading up on them.

• HardHabits says:

Reading your comments you don’t know much about the Habs either.

• Stev.R says:

Thanks for the support. I appreciate it. Coming from somebody with such a long history of not knowing anything, I am truly honored that you were able to recognize my talents. I would be forever grateful if you could provide me with some insight on how you maintained such a long and luxurious career in the field of ignorant internet commenter, so that I may try and fashion a similar life even half as glorious as yours. You’re my hero, papa bear.

• HardHabits says:

Flattery goes far on the Internet I see.

At least we see eye to eye on something. I was getting worried there for a moment, fleeting as it was.

• nickster13 says:

I am also confused by this. I expect Molson to cave like he did for the Cunneyworth hiring. Sadly.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

62. alwayssunny says:

It’s like someone just opened the car window after an eggfart. No Martin, No Gauthier, no Gainey. It was a good year after all.

63. slamtherimtim says:

my question is

Hey geoff did you ever give PG the Okay to dump gomer in the minors if he thought it would better the team

64. habbernack says:

PG was also the
    GM of the ‘Dogs this year and and they’re the same as the Habs. Pickin’s are slim on the farm.I think the most improved player for the” hounds” is Schultz.
    ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

65. habstrinifan says:

Rene Lavoie:
    “Le fait de travailler avec Steve Yzerman est d’ailleurs un avantage majeur, puisque ce dernier est très influent dans la LNH.”

Hey Rene what if someone had told you that Steve Yzerman will be our GM (rumour has it he wanted the job originally in Mtl)… what would be your reaction eh?

I mean if it is an advantage working with Yzerman wouldnt it be a bigger advantage BEING Yzerman.

66. HabFanSince72 says:

Here is a question I would like our intrepid media or bloggers to ask Savard and Molson.

You said your goal was not just to make the playoffs, it was to win the cup.

Logically, the only thing you can do this season to increase your odds of winning the cup is to lose every remaining game. Obviously you can’t seem like you want to lose. Is this your plan and how will you achieve it?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Could Serge sign Andre “Red Light” Racicot to a five game contract?

• Habfan10912 says:

Habsfan, do you think there is a significant difference in potential between picks 2 thrum 5? Some things ive read seem not to think so.

• Stev.R says:

If we draft two through 5 we can expect:

CBJ to take Yakupov
        EDM to take Murray or some other D
        Tor to take an eventual bust.

That leaves us with at least one of Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, and Forsberg. If Tor picks ahead of us, then they will promptly eliminate one wrong choice for us. I personally don’t think Forsberg will turn out to be a star (effective but not a star), so I believe we will be going after Grigorenko (Googlioogligoo as somebody posted), or Galchenyuk.

• HabFanSince72 says:

This year I have no idea.

In the past, huge difference. Think Evgeny Malkin versus Blake Wheeler.

Going back long enough to have a long view, here are some #2 and #5 picks:

2004: Malkin / Wheeler
        2003: Eric Staal / Tomas Vanek
        2002: Kari Lethonen / Ryan Whitney
        2001: Spezza / Stanislav Christov
        2000: Dany Heatley / Raffi Torres
        1999: Daniel Sedin / Tim Connolly
        1998: David Legwand / Vitali Vishnevski
        1997: Patrick Marleau / Eric Brewer

So yes – huge difference.

(And yes I stopped at 2005 on purpose …)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ouch. That’s grim. Talk about a cold bucket of reality doused on me. I also thought that we would get one of three or four quality forwards available, while it’s understood that Nail Yakupov is head and shoulders above all the other prospects.

67. HabFab says:

Wonder what job Mathieu Darche ends up in this new organization?

68. JayBee says:

Everything is playing out like I said. So many frigging people were sipping the Gauthier/Gainey/Martin Koolaid. A small group of us said the team was not built properly. We said that the team was soft….that they needed toughness and size. They needed to get bigger and nastier. They needed to improve the D. We hated the Cammy, Kaberle, Sergei, Lapierre trades. We said that halak’s performance blinded many fans to how poor this team was. And reality set in through the course of the season. Martin, Gainey, Gauthier all gone.

We can finally get some people in here who know what the hell they’re doing. People who can bring a winning tradition back to this franchise. The gong show is finally OVER!

Thank Goodness!

• The Dude says:

Right on JayBee, and thank the Hockey Gods for Serge Savard! The real Montreal Canadiens are coming back home ! Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• JayBee says:

Serge is the type of GM I want. A guy with balls. A guy who has some foresight. A guy who can make the tough decisions. He didn’t win every deal, but he made some pretty good ones as well and was well respected.

69. HabFanSince72 says:

I’m not a PG fan but listen to what Sean Gordon saysd were his big mistakes this season:

1. signing Andrei Markov to a three-year extension despite uncertainty over his balky knees,
    2.trusting that Scott Gomez could rebound from a dismal year,
    3. firing assistant coach Perry Pearn a few hours before a game,
    4. taking on Tomas Kaberle’s bloated contract to fix the power-play, 5. imagining that Rene Bourque was a more effective player than Michael Cammalleri.

OK let’s think about this.

1. It was sign him or lose him. We had to sign him.
    2. What choice did he have. Shoot him?
    3. That was a bit weird I admit.
    4. Kaberle’s contract isn’t bloated.
    5. Bourque has half the cap hit plus we got a pick and a prospect – so he needn’t have imagined he was equivalent to Cammy.

• mb says:

“2. What choice did he have. Shoot him?”

LOL. That sounds a little extreme, doesn’t it? :)

• Stev.R says:

I like to think Bourque was brought in to replace Kos on the third line. Seeing as Kos will be going to FA this summer he will probably get ~4m. So we replaced Kos with someone who can score more, is bigger and is cheaper. Bourque needs to live up to this though!

• RGM says:

1. I’ve always been of the opinion that Markov should have been given the same deal that Gorges got. You get a one-year deal, and if you show us that you’ve still got it, we’ve got a long-term deal in the drawer ready for your signature. If Markov is totally healthy and can be the Markov we all remember in years 2 and 3 of the deal, great. But the move was based on the faulty assumption that he would be ready in November. He wasn’t, and that begat Campoli and Kaberle…while James Wisniewski was summarily dispatched without so much as a phone call.
      2. Hamilton.
      3. Classless.
      4. Four days before the trade, Dave Stubbs wrote this about Kaberle: “If you want to condemn a GM for signing a veteran defenceman to a long-term deal, how about Carolina’s Jim Rutherford, who signed the wretched Tomas Kaberle to a three-year deal? Kaberle was nothing but excess baggage for the Bruins during their Stanley Cup run last spring, and he’s been less than that for Carolina.” He is not worth 1/3 of what he’s getting paid and we’re stuck with him for two more years.
      5. Bourque has been an unmitigated disaster. Yes, Cammalleri was having a tough season and he said some stuff he perhaps shouldn’t have but the simple fact that the Calgary Flames crowd gave a standing ovation when it was announced on the board that Cammy was coming back and Bourque was gone spoke volumes. The pick may be good, and Holland could be a hidden gem, but until those two things materialize, it’s an ugly move.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Hobie Hansen says:

Losing Cammalleri’s $6 million contract was worth the Bourque trade. Plus the pick and prospect.

Cammalleri is not worth $6 mill against your cap.

• 24 Cups says:

RGM – Well said on all points.

Don’t hold your breath on Holland being a dead breaker in Montreal. He’s in pretty tough territory on the right flank with Montreal.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Kaberle was the Bruins top scoring d-man in the playoffs with 13 points.

Now I’m not saying he was one of their most important players, but excess baggage?

70. Stev.R says:

Kent Hughes
    Allan Walsh
    Don Cherry

71. Flanelette says:

Suppertime?

72. stevieray says:

today is a good day to be a Hab Fan . Mr. Molson stressed the need for this team/organization to return to the days of respect and winning. Savard may say what he wants ..but..the owner says ” the best man for the job”..if that person is bilingual ..fine …if he is not …fine also . One can look no farther than the mess the tandem of PG and JM left us with ..
    I’m thinking Savard will take over Gainey’s role with the team …however he will have a huge say in the GM and Coaching staff hiring ..that’s fine also !
    Exciting times ahead my friend.

73. Flanelette says:

I’m new to this blog: how do you put a photo in that square?

74. Flanelette says:

So whatever happened to Gainey that he became so inept?

75. Stev.R says:

No matter who gets signed as GM, everyone will be calling for his firing almost immediately.

76. Habfan10912 says:

Habfab thinks Darche will be looking for work. Maybe Darche can be Youppi. :)

Yeah but fans like to push their pie in the sky fantasies about what could be rather than clearly assess what actually happened.

78. joeybarrie says:

Did you just compare Kovalev to a washed up under achiever???? Compare him TO A washed up under achiever.
    When you are talking about Cammalleri or Gionta?
    really?????