Multimedia: Coach accentuates the positive

5570112

“If we play that way every night,” Jacques Martin said, “we’ll win our share of games.”

True that … especially if they don’t have to face Ryan Miller every night.

Jacques Martin said his team had done “a lot of good things” and played “four good periods in a row”, back to the third period of the Saturday game against Colorado.

Martin praised his team’s ability to get pucks behind the Buffalo defence, forecheck and create good scoring chances.

By the coach’s calculation, the Canadiens outchanced Buffalo 18-7.

But the numbers on the scoreboard were 3-1 for the visitors.

To his credit, Josh Gorges – whose ill-advised icing set up the Sabres for the goal that killed the home team – was in the room facing the media after the game.

Describing the loss as “frustrating” and “deflating”, Gorges echoed his coach’s positive assessment of the overall effort.

“We supported the puck all over the ice and we were hungry on the puck,” Gorges said. The Canadiens, he added, lost to “a good team with a good goalie who stood on his head.”

AUDIO of Jacques Martin

(Photo by Dario Ayala of The Gazette)

1. solomio says:

C’mon guys time to give up on the….we’re missing key players… excuse. We’re missing one…Cammy…. you can’t include Campoli, he’s played one game, just joined the team, White. c’mon if you’re calling him “key ” then we’re in deeper do do then we think, Spacek, seriously dude and then Mr. Markov, who for all intents and purposes hasn’t played for us in 2 or 3 years. That horse left the barn a long time ago.
    Read ‘ em and weep. They are what they are.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

2. kungpowchicken says:

Tuff decision….but have to make it. Gonna focus on the Als till end of november as the habs just dont have it right now and it could get alot worse before it gets better. Calvillo was a star tonight showing up at the game and we should all be proud of him. There is a time for everything folks and right now, in mid October, is not the time for the habs to shine. Lots of changes needed and they will come….starting with a change in coach. I will be patient and i love my habs but cannot waste time watching these guys till they got it figured out – so kungpow will take a little break till these boys deal with the obvious…. then, as soon as snow starts falling and the Als have won another grey cup….bango! i am back, baby!!!!! The final days of coach Jack are here…call me when he is gone. It wont take long…trust kungpowchicken…..he is all knowing.

3. NightRyder says:

Again tonight, time to call out the Montreal media a bit here after Gomez turns in his usual 0-0-0 -1 effort…

How is it possible that every single press conference doesn’t include a non-stop series of “how the hell do you play this pud for 19 minutes when he has four goals in 67 games?” questions at Martin?

How is it not possible that we don’t see an endless series of “this pud hasn’t scored in 37 games and makes $7.4M a year” columns?

Again, see if Phoenix will give us Kyle Turris and one of their lousy contracts in return. Or get Gomez a basement suite in Hamilton.

• G-Man says:

You sure you’re not SmartDog with his everyday rant against Gomez? Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn!!!

• j2w4habs25 says:

i hope everyone esle hears us – I been saying for the past week to let him sit out acouple games. He needs to know he isnt doing very good. Atleast send him to the 4th line for a period or two. this guy has been useless – lets hope the media see’s it too very soon.

Carey Price #31

• Wake Up says:

I agree!!! Everytime Gomez touched the puck I told my 2 sons, ‘watch this he’s going to skate himself into a corner and give the puck away’….he did it everytime!!! When was the last time anyone said..’what a great game by Gomez’? Has he ever had a great game for the Habs? I would rather see a young player make those mistakes and gain experience rather than an overpriced career underachiever who will be gone when his contract is up, hopefully sooner!

4. Man Dingga says:

I love how all the coaches are out tonight to tell us how bad Carey has been or this guy and that guy aren’t playing well. How about this “coaches” we have a lot of injures to key players right now and we continue to not have someone in our line up with some grit to fire up these guys. Muller is gone so someone behind that bench needs to be vocal and take some charge. PG should of addressed these issues over the summer but didn’t. They knew this going into the season with White being injured. Aside from the Calgary and Colorado games I have no issues with our goalie and to not completely throw our D under the bus but they have been struggling to keep the crease clear for Pricey since the start of the season. They played well tonight but they had there chances to bury goals and didn’t, so we lost.

5. NightRyder says:

Just back from the Canucks-Rangers. My joy of seeing the Canucks lose was tempered by how good McDonagh looked.

I hadn’t seen him live until today, and he was pretty solid.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I don´t like it when people bring up prospects who turn to gold elsewhere or the prospects who didn´t make it here all the time.

This is different. The trade itself was stupid enough but throwing McDonagh in (that Gomez trade) was idiotic and completely unnecessary.

6. j2w4habs25 says:

I had enough of watching this team lose – I think we need to pressure our keys in coming back – FORever injured Markov is taking forever…

Gomez played good but not good enough to get some goalie into the net, these guys barely crash the net .

Carey Price #31

7. pmaraw says:

im still optimistic

8. Da Hema says:

I’m no expert, but I can state with some confidence that any team that can only score on average one goal a game is not likely to win very often….

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I´m no expert but 12 goals in five games is more than one goal a game I think.

• Da Hema says:

I stand corrected on the average. Yet five of those 12 were against the Winnipeg Jets. So let’s consider 7 goals scored in four games against quality teams–which amounts to 1.75 goals scored. It will be a long season with output like that.

9. Chuck says:

Hmmm… maybe HardHabits has something going with this tanking thing. Of the last 10 Stanley Cup winners not named Red Wings, all have had a number of very high draft picks on their respective teams:

2011 Boston: Tyler Seguin, 2nd overall (from Toronto’s pick, but still…); Nathan Horton, 3rd overall;

2010 Chicago: Patrick Kane, 1st overall; Jonathan Toews, 2nd overall, Andrew Ladd, 4th overall;

2009 Pittsburgh: Sidney Crosby, 1st overall; Marc-Andre Fleury, 1st overall; Evgeni Malkin, 2nd overall ; Jordan Stall, 2nd overall

2007 Anaheim: Chris Pronger, 2nd overall; Scott Niedermayer, 3rd overall; Rob Niedermayer, 5th overall; Ric Jackman, 5th overall

2006 Carolina: Eric Staal, 2nd overall; Glen Wesley, 2nd overall; Oleg Tverdovsky, 2nd overall; Andrew Ladd, 4th overall; Aaron Ward, 5th overall;

2005 (no Cup)

2004 Tampa Bay: Vincent Lecavalier, 1st overall; Cory Stillman, 6th overall; Darryl Sydor, 7th overall;

2003 New Jersey: Oleg Tverdovsky, 2nd overall; Scott Niedermayer, 3rd overall; Scott Stevens, 5th overall;

2001 Colorado: Peter Forsberg, 6th overall; Ray Bourque, 6th overall; (and some guy named Roy in goal)

2000 New Jersey: Scott Niedermayer, 3rd overall; Scott Stevens, 5th overall; Jason Arnott, 7th overall; Bobby Holik, 10th overall;

1999 Dallas: Mike Modano, 1st overall; Derian Hatcher, 7th overall; Darryl Sydor, 7th overall (and some guy named Brett Hull)

By comparison, our current Montreal Canadiens: Cary Price, 5th overall; Andrei Kostitsyn, 10th overall; Lars Eller, 13th overall.

Of course, this is all very tongue-in-cheek considering that sucking for a long time and getting top picks is absolutely no guarantee of success (Islanders, Oilers and Leafs, anyone?) but it’s still interesting to note that regardless of how the winning team acquired them (through draft or trade), it’s certainly hard to ignore the pattern.

10. Matt. says:

Halak’s numbers to date. Pulled tonight after giving up 4 goals on eighteen shots

Year to date -GAA 3.05, SP .848

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

…We outplayed Buffalo for 75 % of the game …We dominated often
    …I love this kind of hockey …We should have won
    …We could not score though when it counted …and We could not stop the puck when it counted
    …We are going to need Carey to play like Ryan Miller …if He does, We will have a very entertaining Team this season that will make the playoffs
    …right now ? …I am worried about Carey not carrying His weight
    …the only good game He had was versus the Jets
    …like I coldly described below about Carey, this is where He is at, at this time
    …this does not mean that His struggles will endure the season
    …I thought with a battered and inexperienced D in front of Him that the D played very well keeping most of the Sabres’ to the outside, minimizing clear opportunities on Carey
    …Andrei bone-headedly left Vanek alone, but Carey as He too often has so far this season could not rise to the occasion of the few clean opportunities the Sabres had
    …My concern though is not this one goal …My concern, as an ex-goalie Myself, is His overall laconic body language, and lack of a lasered focus
    …I’m a Carey Price Fan, but I just don’t like overall what I see 5 games into the season

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

12. Habziefan09 says:

The only way we will make the playoffs is if we have a new coach and possibly a new GM. Yes PG has made some good moves however there are some things that could have been done differently… like signing Markov to a deal when he has only played a handful of games AFTER already being sidelined for a full year due to injury.

From what I can see, the team shows moments of wanting to play… yet they lack the motivation to play all 60 mins. I believe it is time to say enough is enough.

The line of DD-AK-Patches was the best line of the team… and I can tell you that it came from a Randy and not JM. Regardless of it coming from Ladouceur or Cunnyworth, It was brilliant and it took 4 games to see that line?

So come on PG… Fire JM and move on.. As far as I am concerned, you let the wrong coach go last year.
    ____________________________________________________________
    Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Hanging this games on Jacques Martin really exposes the people who don’t understand the game. Canadiens dominate possession, outshoot the opposition 2-1, out-hit them, play better across all three zones and it’s JM’s fault what, the players are not finishing the chances? Unless we want to extend this that his coaching method depresses his players so much they don’t want to score goals, move along.

He’s made mistakes this season, like late-game situations with no big-body forwards on the ice but tonight was his best coaching work of the season, which was neutralized by Ryan Miller’s best game since 2010.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

14. Sean Bonjovi says:

I love the way Eller played in his first two games, the first one especially, but I thought he was useless tonight. Also, I’m predicting that Mathieu Darche gets a seat in the press box at the first possible opportunity.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
    - Sean Bonjovi

On the other hand, my problem of getting tickets for the leafs game on saturday is very quickly resolving itself. F that team. Not spending a single dime on these losers… Molson is just another useless owner who doesn’t give rats as long as money keeps rolling in.

16. PureGuava says:

McDonagh just scored for the Rangers.

In the words of Lando Calrissian – “This deal is getting worse all the time.”

Hands up who was not surprised by tonight’s result. Personally I am still waiting for new and improved Gomez to shine. YOu know, score a goal, for example. They said this is the worst start since 1999… Umm… maybe a coaching change? and a GM change? I don’t know… just looking for solutions since what we have now is rather a problem.

18. Scoring chance count from Olivier Bouchard:
    Habs – 25
    Sabres – 7

Ryan Miller is the only reason this was a loss, it might have been the best game Montreal has played in years.

19. The Dude says:

Miller was the bomb tonight but I got too say the Habs make almost any Goalie look fantastical…the only shot placement is the opposing goalie’s freaking chest! And there’s never ,ever someone CRASHING THE NET ffs!This team is missing a Spark Plug,you know a sh!t disturbing ,in your face hockey psychopathic ,won’t take No, lemon-aid making,gonna put colour and Movement and emotion in Coach Martins dull being,force everyone to MAN -UP ,Mother-pucker! And Avery’s his name…..

20. durocher says:

Any word on how Stejskal is doing after the hit?

21. AH says:

On a lighter note, did you see in the video how Diaz had the 3 chic reporters all around him, and 2 of them were looking pretty “dreamy eyed” LOL!

22. deuce6 says:

Hmmm..Darren Dreger is saying Rene Bourque “is available”…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if I never saw Carey Price before I would tell Myself this is not a good goaltender
    …If there isn’t a shot not hitting the CH, or a defenceman was not between He and the shooter, I have no confidence He can move quick enough to stop the puck
    …I don’t like His body-language
    …laconic, head-up-One’s-anteriosis seems to be His medical condition at this time
    …in an NHL where the difference between 3rd and fourth and missing the playoffs can be 4 to 6 points, Carey is frittering away potentially a season
    …from His positioning, stickhandling laissez-faire, His sense of positioning, His focus and demeanor tells Me that He has come into this season unprepared …as well,His off-ice priorities seem to be backsliding into immaturity again
    …We know what Carey can do when He takes His game maturely, so We can only hope He or someOne else has a serious discussion with Him
    …I know if I was JM, I would would be seriously mulling the possibility to sit Carey for Budaj for a few games to wake Him up

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Hockey says:

Two goals on 23 shots is a 91.3% save percentage for Price. From what I’ve read of your drivel, part of this is due to a backslide into immaturity. Forget the fact Ryan Miller is a better goaltender who owned the game tonight. That’s just window dressing or something. Clueless much or just emotionally ill-equipped to handle a hard-fought loss? If you were JM…God help us all.

• thirdstone says:

There is no way any of your conclusions can be inferred from just watching a guy on tv. You are a classic case of a fan that says things that are way out of the bounds of that which can be legitimately claimed. He’s had a few crappy games. You’re trying to find a reason why by interpreting every little thing. There is no reason why! Haven’t you ever played sports? Sometimes you suck for a week or two. Get out of here with what the other poster appropriately referred to as drivel.

24. Shane1313 says:

We playes a good game tonight, just didn’t go our way. More importantly Claude Julien getting tossed..finally.

25. boonie says:

I’ve loved HIO since the H stood for Habs. But I don’t post here. I usually know my own opinion and I expect any post I make to be ignored, deemed ignorant, uninformed, unsubstantiated, or a justification for highly enjoyable political incorrectness.

After tonight’s game, I just couldn’t resist…

For the record, I fear we are built for annoying mediocrity, hated the JM hiring, found it odd to see Kirk walk away, like our young talent, think Boucher will coach a lot of games and will win a bunch, liked (past tense) Halak over Price two years ago but was proven (key word in my world) wrong, believe our pipeline is improving, prefer to see real hockey not neutral zone snoozefests, enjoy hitting, don’t care for staged fights or cheap shots, been following “our” team since the early 70s and lived and died with every game until I grew up and gained some perspective…

We (ok, I didn’t actually lace ‘em up tonight, so…) the Hockies dominated tonight. Even I can’t blame JM. I could blame miller. I just don’t understand how every team capitalizes on our most insignificant errors and we just can’t establish a lead given our crushing momentum starting 9 seconds in… If someone can explain this, I would be most grateful.

For those of you still reading, a few more free insights…

Gomez was no worse than other third line centers with 1 assist in 4 games. Patches rocks. Eller has grit but may lack finish. Diaz is our best d-man right now. PK is our most dangerous (you can decide what that means on a play-by-play basis). Show of hands – who thinks Cunneyworth reminded JM that DD and Patches had chemistry in Hamilton.

I could drone on, but this is beginning to read like any one of 500 daily postings around here and don’t want to overstay my welcome.

Thanks for your time.

• jrshabs1 says:

Boone… you cheeky monkey!!!

Go Habs Go!!

• SmartDog says:

Awesome post. Much better than most here.
      This is a great point:
      “I just don’t understand how every team capitalizes on our most insignificant errors and we just can’t establish a lead given our crushing momentum starting 9 seconds in… If someone can explain this, I would be most grateful.”

That’s one for geniuses higher than my level. But I’ll take a stab at it. It’s partly perspective – when Gionta and Cami are both out there, each knows how to capitalize on mistakes. This year (if I recall correctly) each of Cole, Gionta, and Pleks, has scored on a break-away chance on another teams screw up. So we get them. Maybe just not so much. I think too that Price, when he is not on his game, is weaker on break-aways and mistakes when things get suddenly unpredictable. Could be that too.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

26. ooder says:

sorry but you can’t blame JM on this one.. that’s absurd
    the habs played better defense, offense, transition game then the sabres.
    you can blame the forwards who can’t put the puck into an empty net.
    you can blame carey price for the week first goal
    you can blame gionta and gomez for once being the most ineffective line
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• deuce6 says:

I agree that you can’t blame JM for the forwards who can’t put the puck into an empty net, but what you can blame him for is the lack of a PP…The players are the ones that have to execute, but having forwards on the point, unless they are of the Sid/OV ilk is just absurd…Is it an anomaly that since Muller has left, special teams are abysmal? hmmmm

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• ooder says:

well i think it’s a lack of experienced players on the back of the PP
        i mean 2 years ago before we got MAB our PP was bad as well, and the year before that before Wiz our PP stunk (all with Muller)
        ——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

27. JayBee says:

We’re missing some key guys. RELAX!

28. hansolo says:

Can anyone tell me where on nhl.com one finds the number of scoring chances? Thanks in advance.

29. kakey says:

OT: The goon show continues in Beantown

Seperated from birth? James Wisniewski and Thomas Vanek

30. caladin says:

The Good
    MaxPac/DD/AK46 were a dominant line and penned buffalo in their zone shift after shift
    Cole continues to improve, he’s showing flashes of skill and is winning puck battles on the boards consistently.
    Gomez was the third line.(better than second)
    Subban played responsible hockey. He paired very well with Georges.
    The whole D looked good.

The Bad
    Price was not great, although he had almost no work and neither of his goals were stinkers.
    The fourth line was erratic. Enqvist and Pulasj just don’t Impress.
    The Power play, I think 1 of our 5 PP’s was really dangerous.

The Ugly
    The Score.

31. MasterHab says:

Sorry, but I’m not buying that this was all about running into a hot goalie and some bad luck. The Habs were full value for the loss. In the end, the game turned on that goal with 3 seconds left in the second period; a goal that NEVER should have been allowed to happen. But where have we seen this movie before? The Habs give up a late-period goal off a (surprise, surprise) lost face-off.

To me, it seems that ever since Bill Lindsay lost that key overtime face-off against the Canes in the infamous “Mustard Yellow Sport Jacket Game Fiasco” back in the 2002 playoffs, this team has shown a ridiculous inability to win face-off’s when they need to. It doesn’t seem to matter who’s in uniform either. If it comes down to a key face-off, you can bet your last dollar that whichever Habs player lines up to take it will lose it cleanly. And whenever they manage to find a guy who knows what he’s doing in the face-off circle, like Moore or Halperin, they let him go.

And you would think or hope that with an entire intermission to recover from the shock, that the Habs would come out in the third period energized and looking to bounce back. But as it happened the Habs played the first half of the third period flatter than pee on a plate and didn’t start exerting themselves until the game was nearly over. A good team responds to adversity; a mediocre team crumbles under it. A good team plays through adversity; a bad team just gets played. A good team knows how to finish; a lousy one just gets finished.

Don’t be fooled by the shot totals. This game was a pathetic failure.

32. LL says:

Hilarious, Claude Julien was thrown out of the game. I can’t remember the last time that happened.

• Duracell3 says:

The worst part is that none of those calls against them are even remotely debatable. Like you can’t just chop someone in the face after the whistle.

TL;dr: Refs show up, Bruins confused by them actually doing their job.

33. ProHabs says:

I really can’t believe how far Gomez has fallen. The guy is useless on the ice and doesn’t create anything on the ice.

I remember the year before the Habs traded for him, watching a game between the Habs and the Rangers and thinking Gomez (who was a Ranger) was by far the best player on the ice for either team. What a disapointement this bum has been.

Can you imagine how bad he would be this year if he hadn’t work out like crazy all summer and come into this season very motivated to have a solid year.

• stevieboy says:

Agreed that even with all the bright spots tonite, Max-Pac, Eller, even AK, Gomez wasnt one of them. He was invisible and is working his way to the 4th line.

Stevie

34. axxerd says:

I heard a friend of mine say that their uncle (who lives in Florida) saw Markov water skiing down there
    ;)

—-
    Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

35. caladin says:

I disagree, the team played a great game. Check the time of posetion or zone times.
    If you can’t recognize good play when you see it, say the first 30 min where we dominated so completly price fell asleep, then maybe you should watch some football.

36. twilighthours says:

Winners win and losers cry. Going 0-3 at home is an insult to paying customers and simply not good enough.

This needs fixing and in a hurry.

————————————–
    If you’re sick of not being able to view the HIO comment structure from your iPhone, try downloading Mercury browser. If you have alternative suggestions, please send them along!

37. Neutral says:

I can just see the comments now after thursday and saturday. I have a feeling they’re not gonna be pleasant.

38. dallyd31 says:

Didn’t see the game, but looks like we, once again, outshot and outchanced the opposition. Was this a goalie thing…Price outplayed ?

Price’s save % is looking ugly right now.

39. Rainrocket16 says:

This team did not play well!! Yes they out chanced them, but the final result was a lack of finishing checks and winning board battles…basically the same problems we have had for the past 5 years…We Suck!! Not all of them but the team as a whole is not going anywhere with this style of hockey!

40. Man I hope these guys get their act together by Novemeber. I would hate to spend a week in Montreal watching them lose every night.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

41. DEANDALLEY says:

Who gives a Puck what the Count has to say?

BLAH BLAH BLAH ……

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

42. lavie says:

It sounds like JM is speaking to his boss: give me a chance!

43. stevieboy says:

JM gone by November 1st if they lose next two. Guaranteed

Stevie

44. AH says:

Please…don’t tease me!

45. Sean Bonjovi says:

You might get to see Crosby play though.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
    - Sean Bonjovi

Novelty. A player who actually can score a goal or two.

47. Summit game is Nov. 19th vs NYR.

I didn’t see anything from a coaching standpoint or from Gomez that justify turfing them tonight. Obviously it would be better if Gomez started producing but he’s not playing poorly. His defensive work is 10000x better than last year for example.

Jsut give it time :)

49. ProHabs says:

Well this proves your hockey knowledge. “Gomez is not playing poorly”, learn how to watch a hockey game. He is figure skating our their and creating nothing. “His defensive work is better”, take a look at who was late covering Leopold on the first Sabre goal tonight.

50. Duracell3 says:

McDonagh continues to sure look good on the Ranger’s backend. Good thing we got a seven million dollar superstar for him.

51. G-Man says:

God forbid a “fan” only seeing the negative.