CKAC: MaxPac fractures rib; no recalls yet

Canadiens head athletic therapist Graham Rynbend tends to fallen Habs forward Max Pacioretty last night in Buffalo.
Doug Benz, Reuters

UPDATE: Martin McGuire of CKAC radio, who travels with the team and does its French-language play-by-play, reports this morning that Max Pacioretty suffered a fractured rib last night when struck by a slap shot off the stick of teammate James Wisniewski. That could put the forward out of action for a month, leaving him to avoid any contact for a few weeks though he’ll be able to keep skating to maintain his cardivascular fitness.

Also hurt Tuesday were Michael Cammalleri, who might have a separation of the left shoulder that could keep him out for a month, and Jeff Halpern, also believed to be dealing with a shoulder issue. Other players were bruised and limping, but Cammalleri and Pacioretty left Tuesday’s 2-1 overtime loss in Buffalo in the first period and Halpern saw almost no ice after he was hurt.

At 12:15 pm ET, Canadiens spokesman Dominick Saillant said the club
had no official update on any of their injured players, and that at that time no one had as yet been recalled from Hamilton.

• Andrei Markov apparently was spotted at Montreal’s Trudeau Airport this morning. Markov said last Friday that he’d be travelling this week to Birmingham, Ala., for a checkup with surgeon James Andrews, who did the Dec. 8 operation to reconstruct the Habs defenceman’s right knee.

Teammate Josh Gorges is on Andrews’s operating table today undergoing a similar ACL rebuild, so it makes sense that Markov will be there today, flying home tomorrow with his fellow rearguard.

The Canadiens return to the ice tomorrow in Brossard to prepare for back-to-backs Friday and Saturday in Ottawa and home vs. Anaheim.

1. KenD29 says:

Agree with you on this one.!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

2. Max_a_million says:

Best case scenario for a separated shoulder is 4 weeks, and at that Cammy will come back with lots of lost strength in his shoulder.  It’s tough to come back from.

We could easily fall out of the playoff race in a month, and we didn’t have an overabundance of offensive talent to begin with. Our spot in the back of the back is certainly tenuous.  Ryan White is not the answer, we are not missing grinders.  The Molson’s can not afford for this team to not make the playoffs.

It’s simply my prediction.  If Friday comes, and we have the same roster feel free to call me on it.

3. Hagar says:

Never had bruised ribs so I can’t compare, but speaking of pain, I once had a wisdom tooth extracted without anaesthetic. It was jerked back & forth for like 30 seconds trying to get it out (it felt like 3 hours). The guy who supposedly gave me the painkiller was telling me I was experiencing lots of pressure (to be expected I guess. I’d never had a wisdom tooth pulled before). I experienced a world of pain. Guess I have all the bad luck. My recent history has been littered with bad luck. Sorry, I trailed off there. Neat little story I thought I’d share. I’ve heard bruised ribs are very painful.

4. TomNickle says:

They say it’s going to be one of the coldest games ever played, which is fitting for that rivalry.  I don’t think AR can repeat his performance from Atlanta.  I think something more along the lines of the Eagles game is going to happen.  Hopefully the Packers receivers hang onto the football and James Starks doesn’t turn into a pumpkin.

5. Mad Habber says:

How about a little biasism? If PK where playing on the Leafs (Phaunef?) or Bruins (Lucic?)…man they’d love him to death. Since he plays for the dirty old Habs he is just a showboating, trash talker.

6. KenD29 says:

Agreed Tom. Other GM’s know the situation the Habs are in and will be asking way to much.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

7. punkster says:

Starting to rank up there with Vinny Dreams from last season.

***Subbang!!!***

8. TomNickle says:

Sure he does but he isn’t going to get that work in dominating with the Juniors.  He’s counted on to win games with that club, he could focus on development with the Bulldogs.

I don’t see the harm in bringing him up for 6-9 games.

9. Storm Man says:

Im not sure what the weather is going to be like on Sunday in Bears town but I think it could be a very good game.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

10. KenD29 says:

It’s just to bad JM allows Gomez so much leaway, penalty late in the 3rd period, putting the team on the PK in OT.

However with the team being down 3 forwards, what other choice did JM have last night.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

11. Max_a_million says:

You have to love the heart this team dispalys though.  I think PG will find help soon.

12. mike g says:

Now you’re making tons of sense right here…

Don’t say that outloud though, the media in this city will probably take it and go along with it.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

13. Storm Man says:

Best to keep LL where he is at right now. He has alot to work on still.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

14. Everlasting1 says:

Read much? I wasn’t knocking his exuberance/flamboyance.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

15. TomNickle says:

I may have said the Pats a long time ago but I can come just short of guaranteeing that I didn’t say the Eagles.  I’m very concerned about this weekend however.  I really think the field conditions and the Bears’ ability to force turnovers could keep the NFC championship closer than it would be on a decent field.

16. Max_a_million says:

Not being fun to play for the other teams is a good thing.  Ummm, the PK era is just beginning.  This show will be in full force for the next 15 plus years.  You might want to get used to it.

Myself personally I love being on the edge of my seat.  It’s been a long time since Roy and LaFleur did that to me.  Subbie Subbie Doo!

17. Storm Man says:

I would look back at some of your post. Im 99 percent you and bugs were talking about who was going to be in the superbowl and you had the Pats and Eagles…. I could be wrong.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

18. TomNickle says:

I’ll go one further and say that it probably means we aren’t looking to trade.

19. HabFanSince72 says:

Or maybe Bugs is Poolio?

20. TomNickle says:

Desharnais has played very well since being called up, he deserves a bigger role in the short term.  As for Leblanc, bringing him up for a half-dozen games would be a good way to gauge where his strength is at and what specifically he needs work on.  Junior hockey doesn’t provide that information.  It gives you a good idea of how well he adjusts to the game speed at the NHL level and you can bring him up for a short stint without having a year of his contract count towards free agency.

21. habs-hampton says:

Agree.

How else to explain what Lundquist did to Max? It’s an automatic match penalty. But, wait its the Habs. If it happened in Leafland, it would be fodder for at least 2  TSN panel discussions between periods. Remember when the Giguere got wiped out of the crease by an opponent and the goal counted. Complete Uproar in Upper Canada! The Lundquist mugging was an interesting anecdote on Sportscenter, but that was the end of it.

Wwe are near the top (tied 2nd) in shorthanded situations and near the bottom (25th) in powerplay situations. I didn’t do the math, but the differential makes us the most screwed over team in the league.

22. likehoy says:

do you watch hockey games in the library cause that was a pretty boring assessment?

I like a bit of exuberance and flamboyancy from our players, shows signs of life.

If I wanted to watch robots compete against each other I wouldn’t be watching sports.

- Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

23. Ayan_SB says:

Eklund is “reporting” that the Habs are very interested in Wayne Simmonds from the LA Kings.

Therefore it means we’re not getting Simmonds.

24. ZepFan2 says:

I had my own private “pain killers” for that. ;)

Did I mention that laughing made the pain even more intense?

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

25. TomNickle says:

I’ve actually had Pittsburgh and New Orleans in the Superbowl Tim.

26. savethepuck says:

Both of these guys will be back in close to a month, which means they will each miss approximately 12 games.  This team is 6-1-2 in their last 9, so why does that make you think there will be a major trade to trade the makeup of this team.

27. observer says:

No racism involved EITHER!

28. likehoy says:

dunno what to say, it’s going to be one hell of a ride till the end of the season

but lets be honest, we’re back to the situation we were in before pacioretty came up.

I think we can still be a .500 hockey team for the time being especially with eller looking like he’ll have a great second half to the year.

I think Gauthier has time to be patient, if he makes a knee-jerk trade, he might have to overpay or end up with broken goods.

- Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

29. jennifer1984 says:

does Boyd not have to clear waivers to come up?

if so, i think they would wait til he’s gonna stay up so he doesn’t have to keep clearing. I say bring up White or Maxwell.

30. Storm Man says:

DD and LL in the line-up????? No thanks you must still have a hangover from your Packers going to the NFC finals….. And  after you picked the Eagles and the Pats to play in the superbowl silly silly Tom.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

31. Hobie Hansen says:

He was run at and pushed around like the rest of out tiny team…

32. habsgirl72 says:

i like it … well said and to the point

33. observer says:

What the whiner Crosby complained about but we don’t hear the entire media now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. Mattyleg says:

I really see!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. F Bomb says:

We saw it last year against Washinton and Pitsburg.  The officiating was atrotious.  Both those teams are big markets in the US – you could tell the league favored both those teams.

36. Mattyleg says:

I see.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

37. observer says:

Better still bench him for 3 games. Who needs his 27 minutes. It is upsetting players all over the league and even upsets Gomez that the kid has more talent and enthusiasm than they show in what to them is the “second exhibition season” being played now.

38. Hobie Hansen says:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion I guess…

39. Mattyleg says:

I don’t see PK as a dirty player. He is intense, and yes, he taunts other players, but that’s part of the game, and I welcome it! He goads other players into penalties and mistakes. It’s good head-hockey.

I think that JM is a smart enough coach to know a good thing when he sees one.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. shiram says:

I had a bruised rib, and the pain was quite annoying, mobility and breathing we’re definately impaired.

Painkiller we’re of little use, but then i was not trying to skate and play hockey.

41. TomNickle says:

Gomez Gionta Darche

Plekanec Eller Kostitsyn

Halpern(if okay) Desharnais Pouliot

Pyatt Boyd Moen

These are the lines that I think Martin will employ, not the lines I would employ…..mine would be.

Gomez Gionta Pouliot

Plekanec Desharnais Kostitsyn

Halpern Pouliot LEBLANC

Pyatt Darche Moen.

42. savethepuck says:

Kaleta  hit it twice in the first period. The first looked like an open ice defenseless head shot and the second was from behind against the boards.  I thought he had a possible concussion, but I guess it was his shoulder and must of been on the second hit.

43. savethepuck says:

44. Storm Man says:

I did a Rocky on some guys ribs one night and he was fine and wanted to sue me lol…. Talked about how much pain he had to deal with day after day…. I told him dont wear a leaf jersery and spill beer on a friend of mine next time.

I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

45. jennifer1984 says:

i was wondering that myself.

i  miss Bugs.

46. observer says:

Brian Burke has prepared the Leafs to start their big run now. Looks like another 4 game winning streak starts tonight.

47. Everlasting1 says:

I also think too much is made of PK’s goal celebration and exuberance – taking no exception there, but his taunts, dirty play, and penalty minutes will continue to be problematic if JM doesn’t temper him. The Bell Centre crowd sure eats it up though..seems like every time he steps on the ice it’s a friggin’ event.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

48. habs-hampton says:

I didn’t see what happened to Halpern. What happened?

I though it would be, You just have to take <insert favourite pain killer here> for the pain till it heals?

;-)

50. TomNickle says:

This isn’t personal, no reason to get upset.  But you should at the very least acknowledge that Lawton and Darryl Sutter being the last two people to sign Tanguay since his playoff no show in Montreal lends a small degree of credibility to the reports surrounding his character and the story that was reported during the April month he spent with this team, or away from it rather.

You can hate on Gomez until the cows come home, but he plays when it counts.  His replacing of Koivu will always leave a sour taste in your mouth, and you’re entitled to feel that way.

On Gomez, there was a bidding war for his services when the Rangers signed him, so yeah, teams did want him.

51. Storm Man says:

More Iginla dreams I was hoping that was over……

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

52. Everlasting1 says:

You mean Alex Pietrangelo. He’s already there.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

53. avatar_58 says:

Believe whatever you want, all I know is I wouldn’t touch Tanguay with a 40 foot pole and I do not ever wish to see him wear the CH again.

54. ZepFan2 says:

I’ve had my ribs broken in a car crash and was released that night. There’s nothing a Doctor can do when it comes to broken ribs except wrap them. You just have to take the pain till it heals.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

55. Max_a_million says:

PG is a very proactive GM.  He will have traded for some help by Thursday, and it will come out of nowhere with no leaks at all.  I am eager to see who it will be, and who we have to give up.

Iginla would be nice, but I doubt Calgary is ready to jump ship to that extent.

“I need player who hate to lose” D. Irvin

56. F Bomb says:

2010-2011 season.

Before the season began it was Price or Halak.  Habs fans all over had their point of view on the goalies and would gouge the tongue out of those who disagreed with their thinking.  Halak gets traded; Price becomes #1.  Auld is signed and we “Go big or go home” with Price.

Preseason: Price gets shelled and booed from the Montreal faithful.  All Habs fan are irate and have no idea of what the season holds.  But we do know we will start without Cammalleri – suspended re a slash.

Season: Right out of the gate we come out strong.  Price is spectacular, we are shutting teams down, team chemistry is strong and we are leading the division and atop of the league.  We are happy to see Markov back, PK 2.0, a new captain, Cammi who recorded a record number of playoff goals, a leader in Georges, a bigger and stronger Pouliot, the million dollar man (Gomez) and a big young center in Eller.

O’byrne 1st to go.  This makes space for Weber and the season starts.

Markov reinjures his knee and before we can panic, PK, Georges, Gill continue to play their game and we continue to win.  Goaltending continues to be strong…but whats up with Georges…limping, looks hurt, but he is a battler and he will persevere. Dam  – out for season knee surgery.

wtf! top 2 guys down + traded our depth!  Until Mr. Gauthier swoops in and says, “Guys chill its under control” – cue James  Wisniewski.  Puts up a point per game, OT Assists winners + added toughness.

We go about or day and we continue to win, Price starts 95% of the games and PK is benched – What??

Offence dimishes, one goal games, deflection goals, PP points with Wiz, just a regular day at the office.

Jan 18, 2011.  Habs vs Buffalo – Cammalleri – out, Patioretty – Out.  What do they do.  Continue to battle.  Pleks continues to play stong, fast hockey, kostitsyn makes tape to tape passes and when we though we couldn’t get any smaller DD parks himself in front of the net and scores a goal.  3rd period 1-1 game on the line, open net for Buffalo, Price is out, PK dives to deny a goal!!!! Price jumps for joy as PK and Price pat each other down -

“Did you see that Price I saved it!” PK

“Mother F***** that was amazing! Play is still on ahhhhh! Go Go!” Price

Time runs out - 1-1.  We’re going to overtime.

This team has passion, this team has drive and this team wants to win.  They believe in each other and the system that they play in.  With all of our veteran presence, Price’s play, PK’s unorthodox and enthusiam, Darche’s will to succeed and Martin’s system we continue to drive forward night after night.  Every day is a new challenge and this team is going through it all together, right in front of our eyes.

I suspected it was a fractured rib the way he went down. I am just glad it wasn’t a punctured lung.

I hear a lot of talk about trades. What else is new. Line combos anybody?

IMHHO, the Habs are going to have to make do with their depth.

So now comes the ugly part. You think the games were boring as of late. Just wait ladies and gentlemen. Grab a book to read or learn a new hobby because the next few games are going to be so dull watching paint dry could be more exciting. They’ll be able to bottle the next few broadcasts and sell the footage on the black market to nefarious governments looking to devise new ways of torturing it’s inhabitants.

You see. The NHL is fed up with the dirty, despicable little team that could, with it’s flashy young defence-man who doesn’t show no respect. Last night was testament to the subliminal and unconscious bias that exists, festered among a culture of incompetence and corruption. Yes corruption. I am beginning to suspect that something is so rotten with the NHL that if you poked it and it let out gas we’d all suffocate from the stench.

The NHL is rigged and fixed. Not the old-fashioned way, for gambling. No. Fixed to achieve marketing results. The NHL is corrupt and IMO collusion is at work. Not a conspiracy. It’s the structure that creates the mechanism; the CBA, revenue sharing, salary cap, the sun-belt strategy, all add up to a league that doesn’t allow what is our right as Habs fans, that the Habs win more Cups than anybody else. How dare they?

58. TomNickle says:

I agree with everything you said in that reply.

59. krob1000 says:

yeah…k…and Gomer is a free agent magnet …. you believe what you want….I do…but at least I am aware that in all of these cases there is no truth…there is perspective….and that breeds many truths

60. TomNickle says:

I’d rather have another Brendan Gallagher in the system than a Ben Eager with the big club.

Our fifth round picks hold as much value as our second round picks.

61. Hagar says:

No trades. I figured we might trade a prospect. Nope. It’s not gonna happen. It shouldn’t happen. No more trades until the offseason…at LEAST. Let’s see what Hamilton’s got.

62. Hobie Hansen says:

Sorry for not being polite! I’m just sick of this team being laughed at and taken lightly!

There’s room for Eager, it’s called taking Payatt out.

63. krob1000 says:

I hope Pacioretty apologized to the team and Wiz…the puck was going in….and not to mention the cap space a replacement is going to cost us…….just kidding.

64. avatar_58 says:

Tanguay can kiss the hairest part of my ass.

65. avatar_58 says:

It came from our own media/room/etc about Tanguay. So you know what? I’ll believe what I want to believe. GM trades draft picks for a guy and then doesn’t resign him, despite having a decent season. Yeah sounds like he’s a STANDUP guy. Or you know, it’s true and Gainey didn’t want to even look at his entitled face anymore. I know I don’t.

66. TomNickle says:

On Tanguay, didn’t he get signed in late August the following off-season?  And wasn’t it the notorious Brian Lawton who gave him the contract, follow that with a Sutter free agent signing and I’m not sure that there isn’t some validity to the concerns regarding his, we’ll call it reluctance, to play in the playoffs.

As for Neil, I’ll take twenty Moens before 100 Neils.  My dislike for Neil isn’t personal, it’s as a hockey player.  He, in my opinion, would be a disgrace to this franchise in the way he plays the game.  He plays it the wrong way, he crosses the line and never answers for his actions.

67. joeybarrie says:

SO THIS SUCKS. I am really sad to not be able to see my boy Cammi as I sit directly on the glass behind the Habs bench in the 1st. (I know I have to stop talking about my TIX, but i plan to squeeze my body thru the glass panes and chat with Kirk Muller, I am on a diet right now).

Now that being said, we are not going to win the Stanley cup this year. So this does bring in a good opportunity. How can our young talent do on the first two lines and defense support. Eller, Pouliot, and Weber might be given the chance to see what they can do for a little while.

However, if we have to do that for the rest of the season we will be in real trouble. 4-6 weeks turning into 8 will leave us with 8 games left in the season… It is truley crunch time. And do you think we can win go 60% wins for the rest of the season with  Gio, Gomez, Pouliot and Pleks, AK, Eller??? I mean thats why we do not have SK, D’Ags, and O’Byrne. We have/had better options here already. Until we lost 3 top players.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

68. fbkj says:

not patronizing just stating fact

if you interpreted it as anything else then circle back too what you wrote about sensitivity

69. DarthWade says:

I would love to have been a fly on the wall to hear the conversation between the Wiz and Pacioretty on the plane heading home after this game. At least PK’s able to say he’s not the one “in trouble” this time.

Isn’t it also great that people still believe that we get shown favoritism by the refs?

70. krob1000 says:

isn’t that how PRice and PK are viewed in other cities, isn’t Andrei suppsoed to be too, isn;t Pouliot uninterested? aren’t Gio and Gomer incapable of being leaders according to Brodeur, wasn’t Cammi a locker room cancer allegedly in Clagary so they got rid of him?…..don’t believe everything you hear.

71. Everlasting1 says:

Your patronizing is misplaced.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

72. Mark C says:

If it’s a hairline fracture and there is no worry over, say a lung collapsing then Max would be discharged quickly. There is little that can be done with fractured ribs, from a medical standpoint. Once any internal injury is ruled out a person would be sent home.

73. MTLForever says:

Ok so tonight….for the sake of Montreal,  I will be going for the LEAFS. They need to beat the Rangers to keep them from going ahead of us.

Get better asap men.

74. PrimeTime says:

Time for JM and PG to re-evaluate this team again. It’s been a decent 1st half but a lot has changed since the season started. The injuries in last night’s game creates urgency. They will have the injured players evaluated and have to fill the holes. Fortunately we have favorable cap space to add some players. Unfortunately we can’t afford to trade any more draft picks for help so a trade for a player or two becomes more problematic. Bringing up more help from Hamilton can buy some time but likely will also cost us some wins/ points.

Our biggest need IMO is to add some muscle. Chris Neil or another of his skill set will be needed for the playoffs. I’m not a proponent of having a goon on the team but we need someone who is edgy but can also play a regular shift….unlike a BGL. I like what the team can bring although we have some weaknesses but we seem to work through them most games with skill, heart, and grit. The biggest weakness is the boys can’t fight or intimidate physically. That is the guy we need and has to be targeted in any player swaps. We will have to give up some skill to get it but it’s a dimension we do not poccess and will need to get to and show in the playoffs.

I hope JM and PG come to the same conclusion and find a smart way to get that guy.