Chipchura still on the bubble

Kyle Chipchura has been the lone healthy scratch for the Canadiens in their first two games and head coach Guy Carbonneau said he hasn’t decided whether to dress Chipchura for Monday night’s game against the Flyers in Philadelphia.

The Canadiens held a 45-minute workout in the City of Brotherly Love today with a full roster of 21 healthy players. Injured players Francis Bouillon, Christopher Higgins and Georges Laraque have skated the past two days in Montreal, but none of them is ready to play. Meanwhile, Carey Price will get the start in goal.

1. georgesd says:

Dandenault has speed, is a winger and is now a role player. He also is on his last year contract. Chipchura doesn’t have an NHL contract. He doesn’t have speed and has to win back his playing time. Lapierre also has to win his playing time BUT he has an NHL contract. As long as he plays up to his potential, he’ll play more games than he sits out.

What needs to be understood is simply that Chipchura has to win back his time in the lineup. The only reason he’s with the club is due to the injuries to Higgins and Laracque.

This year is a pivotal year for many players who will UFAs at the end of the year. As I pointed out above, a number of players will no longer be with the Club either in February or for next season.

Among those who COULD be gone(gone%-stay%) are Koivu (50-50), Kostopolous (40-60), Halak (40-60), Lang (55-45) and Bouillon (35-65);
    Those I believe will NOT be back include Bégin, Dandenault, Brisebois;
    Those I would DEFINITELY keep among UFAs are Kovalev, Komisarek;
    Those I put on my PROVE YOURSELF list are Chipchura (if he stays with the Club), Lapierre, Latendresse;
    Those who I believe will have BREAKOUT season include Latendresse, O’Byrn, the K bros;
    My UP ‘N COMERS are Weber, D’Agostini, Pacioretty, Carle, Maxwell, Desharnais (watch him closely), Valentenko;
    My FUTURES are PK, Yemelin, McDonagh, Fisher, Trotter, White, Desjardins.

Now obviously, the names can change to protect the innocent. What DOES remain is the fact that:
    1. The Habs have an over-abudance of talent at ALL positions;
    2. It ain’t easy to keep everyone happy;
    3. Gainey, Timmins, Carbo et all know what they are doing;
    4. There isn’t room for everybody;
    5. This year, the Habs will contend for the Cup;
    6. We all can stand behind the team as it stands, i.e. at a given moment during the season, not put down a player or two for the sake of put-downs, be objective in our opinions, as well as fair AND have confidence in the direction Carbo and Gainey have taken.

What’s your take?

Regards, Georges D.

2. Sport Sirens says:

Last year Carbo showed, especially at the end of the season, that he can manage this situation very well, keeping guys happy and on their toes. Nice problem to have and sure enough injuries are going to start happening pretty soon.

3. TommyB says:

Hey kid, greetings from the great north……home of dial-up (crap).

You know it was fun here Saturday night….I did take it easy on my host though. Pissed that I can’t see the game tonight. Be home tomorrow, you coming over to watch us kick some Bruin ass Wednesday night?

P.S. Cash anyone Pro-Line tickets? My new system paid off again.
    Talk to ya later.

4. Robert L says:

One was nicknamed “Lucky”.

Another was anything but!

Canadiens fans older than 35 will remember the vastly talentled, but often indifferent and moody Pierre Larouche.

Few Habs fans will recall the team drafting Cornwall Royal Gary MacGregor in 1974.

Perhaps because I am more familiar than most with MacGregor, from his junior days in my hometown of Cornwall, but I always saw a certain parallel between the two QMJHL offensive dynamos.

Of the six 50 goal scorers in Habs history, Larouche remains the most anonymous of the group. He is often largely forgotten in looking back on the team’s late 70’s glory days. To this day, Larouche remains the only 50 goal scoring center the club has ever had – a notion that would surprise many!

Larouche and MacGregor were part of a bumper crop of QMJHL players whose numbers went through the roof in the 1973-74 season. There have been various reasons for explaining the goal explosion

The lasting impression in many fans minds of Larouche came via media reports, of an image few fans were privelege to. Made infamous in part by the book “Lions In Winter”, Larouche strutted through a Hartford airport cockily, donning a wild fur coat for the era, while chomping on a Cuban cigar, grinning ear to ear seemingly without a care in the world.

Read more…

Whatever Happened To Lucky Pierre Larouche and the Habs Draft Class of 1974?

5. georgesd says:

You have to understand that Chipchura has to win back his ice time. He basically lacks speed and his face-off ave is not that strong. Lapierre won his position last year when he was called up and didn’t lose it.

Lapierre is an institigator, a player who gets in the face of his opponents. He doesn’t need to fight. He frustrates the opposition. Keep this in perspective when you evaluate his performance. Also, check the game reports at, you’ll find that Lapierre did very well on faceoffs.

Chipchura is, in conclusion, a better centerman. Lapierre is a better winger than centerman although he does a commendable job at center. If Chipchura had some speed, he’d probably have the center job. In the meantime, Gainey and Carbo have to juggle the lineup in a creative manner while waiting to unload a number of RFOs as Bégin, Dandeneault, Kostopoulos etc…

Their ability to measure who plays when is decidedly better than most of us. For example, all the Guillaume Latendresse naysayers must ask themselves what the f…. was he doing getting three points and throwing a thunderous hit when he should be in Hamilton.

In Gainey/Carbo we trust.

Georges D.

6. GHG33 says:

games are free on for this weekend only.

Drive For 25 Is Alive!

7. Big Bird says:

Thanks but I’ll pass on that suggestion Robert. I’ll leave the wit to you my friend. 😉

8. nightmare_49 says:

G – So true, lots of young talent and ample ice time mixed with a few vets give them a nice team if their ‘D’ works out. Talking about rookies Drew Doughty(D) played 24 minutes in the Kings loss to the Sharks.

9. Hockey11 says:

Dandy is a UFA and came in as a UFA so the team never lost an asset. The team would not need much but we need Dandy as we do not have one competent NHL defenseman in Hamilton. We need Dandy as a backup D. Breezer is not the answer.

10. Hockey11 says:

I would rather have Dandy in for Breezer.

11. likehoy says:

he only tells us he’s thinking cause he likes to play the media…he already knows what he’s going to do.

12. Y says:

Lets hope they remain shaky up until October 25th at the least!

13. Greg says:

Anyone watch Phoenix and Anaheim tonight? Turns out you can watch free hockey games on Not sure how long it’ll take before they try and charge me for it, but so far so good!

Anyway, Phoenix is going to be very good this year. I think they’ve been good for a while, but with the old schedule they played intra-divisional games so much that they saw Anaheim, San Jose and Dallas a lot. Not easy. The new schedule will treat them nicely.

If Bryzgalov holds his own, then the offence of Doan, Jokinen, Turris, Mueller… with Jovo on D… They’re not gonna win the Cup, but they will make the playoffs. You heard it here first.

14. nightmare_49 says:

Jay – While listening to the Bulldog games on radio when i could when O’Bey was there and the announcers mentioned more than once that their were few games that O’Bey didn’t have the best hit of the night, he was known for it though it was the AHL.

15. nightmare_49 says:

Today my day was made when i heard that Carbo is seriously thinking of playing Chips on Monday but not for Chips sake but for Carbo finally is getting out of that silly pee wee coach theory that you play the same lineup after a win (Goalie Optional). So many times last year there were spectators on the ice for a win and they were automatically in the lineup next game besides the fact that the opposition knew your lineup from the get go.

16. Jay in PA says:

I have always loved the idea of having big, mean D-men who make anyone entering our defensive zone regret it. We’ve got several now, and there are more in the pipeline, and I love it. On the other hand, I would temper your argument by noting that Rhino needs to learn to make the big hit without taking himself out of the play. It’s a talent that comes with experience, but it makes the difference between the Mike Komisareks and the Peter Worrells of the world.

17. Robert L says:

For readers heading to the Summit game in two weeks, please check out the latest posting on the raffle for the Gainey Foundation. All ideas for contributions, both big and small are welcomed. And thank – you.

18. Greg says:

I think we might see Chipchura in Philly. I think it’d be more than fair to let Chips battle for the last spot at center with Lapierre… isn’t it? Let’s see who comes out on top. I think Chipchura needs a while at the NHL to get used to it… or maybe not, who knows. But I think that if Lapierre wants to stay with the Habs for the next while, he should get used to playing the wing.

19. showey47 says:

I doubt the point of moving dandy would be to get something of quality value in return. The guy makes too much money for what he offers on the ice, as does begin. It wouldn’t even both me if it was for a 7th rounder or future considerations. It will be tough for bob to find a taker unless we throw something else of value in there to sweeten it up a little.

20. Greg says:

We could get another 2nd round draft pick from Toronto!

21. showey47 says:

I know he came in as a ufa and no matter what he won’t be back next year. If breezer can get a job on defence before dandy does, its hard to call dandy a competent nhl dman. Once we are healthy dandy will be spending most of his time in the pressbox, so instead of him sitting there collecting dust why not try to get something for him. Weber (perhaps even carle/valentenko or belle) will get a call up before dandy plays more than 1 full game on defence.

22. Robert L says:

1927-28 Howie Morenz, Hockey’s First True Superstar

Note to readers of my site, and those who have bookmarked it. The URL has been changed to:

23. bigjames says:

the other thing is that ducks are off to a shakey start. wonder what is going on there?

24. nightmare_49 says:

R C – Breezer sits , O’Bey been assertive and gaining confidence and that’s the road they have set for him and i hope they keep giving him that ice time and i’m sure Ryan and Hamy will be great as a pairing with NHL size and will help to kill penalties thru the year, nothing flashy but steady as a rock.

25. showey47 says:

nah, they are actually for my buddy and his wife who live in montreal and both work for the alouettes. But the one guy in the video who is cheering seems like he would be a riot.

26. RiverviewCanadien says:

I agree that is probably what will happen.

Showey – Are these the guys you were trying to get extra tickets for, so they could attend the Summit? I can’t wait:-)

Going for the Brass Ring – 25 Cups in 100 Years

28. jody1974 says:

Brisebois has to sit for Boullion not O’byrne. O’byrne is young and still learning. We must all remember that. Briseboi time has come and gone. So we know what he can offer us in the Playoffs if need be.

” Drive is on for Cup # 25 “

29. Connecticut Man1 says:

2 games in and there is supposed to be a controversy over one of the rookies sitting in the stands? He has been well groomed in the minors and he will get his opportunities to shine. If he is anything close to the future leader he has been hyped to be you know he is not going to selfishly rock the boat like Grabs did. And you now that the coaches will put him in either when they want to OR an injury or trade dictates the necessity.

30. jody1974 says:

We just have to hope that Chippy works hard in practice and knows his time is coming soon. Carbo i guess is starting the season out with as many Veterans as he can play to get points and build a lead on other teams. October is just as important as April.

” Drive is on for Cup # 25 “

31. RiverviewCanadien says:

What shape the Canadiens are in this year. I was excited about the sloberknocker last night, that was 60 minutes of entertaining Habs hockey, abosolutely dominated from start to finish. And we are not seeing the best this team can do!!! Laraque, Higgins, Boullion, these guys are regulars and have not suited up yet (although I like our D the way it is…O’Byrne sit for Boullion, any thoughts?).

So who will have to sit for the two forwards to come in? And why not, throw someone else out for Chips…

What does everyone think?

32. Xtrahabsfan says:

Yesterday was a typical autumn weekend when you pile the leafs and burn em,lol

33. linp says:

We should play Chips. How can a young player improve if he has no playing time. We need our young players to step up down the road. There is very little risk replacing laps by chips.

34. boy from school says:

i’m on board: it’s possible to be respectful towards toronto even if we hate them. they’re us and we are them, we’re just on the upswing right now.

also: leafs suck.

35. New says:

Yeah, when you watch Lapierre it is surprising. The image and play don’t match. Young though, with talent, so that might change.

36. chuckles3 says:

Anyone on the Habs roster with an ounce of grit (like Chips) has to be in the lineup against the Flyers, or else we risk the game looking like the 2nd round all over again.

37. fun police says:

i’d prefer chips to laps. my son pointed out to me last night how little laps passes the puck, especially on an odd man rush.
    also, why would the habs take the foot off the gas on the pp, especially after the cheap shot by mayers on komi. the mentality should be if you take a cheap shot against it will cost you.

38. New says:

I never thought of that, quiet leaf fans. No gloats, no whines, just quiet Leaf fans. Gee. That would be a nice chnage.

I hope you are right about Chips. He has had a rough go of it for a young man but I see great potential there.

39. Robert L says:

Let him talk!

40. Moey says:

Ted Bird might have something to say about that!!

41. Yeats says:

The leafs weren’t always such a douchey franchise. They used to have guys on the team like Dave Keon:

You might not have liked them, but damn, you respected them. And, they have yet to “honor” his number. Mats Sundin couldn’t carry that man’s jock!

42. Robert L says:

Points 2 and 3 are very wise observations.

Ever though of titling your posts “Bird Droppings” just to be clever and amusing?

43. Big Bird says:

Couple of thoughts from the peanut gallery:

(1) Terrific win last night. All the Leaf fans will be quiet at work tomorrow.

(2) I don’t like the Maple Leafs but I believe we should continue to be gracious victors even if Leaf fans are not. Our organization is synonymous with Jean Beliveau. Their organization is synonymous with Harold Ballard, Darcy Tucker and Tie Domi. It wasn’t even five years ago when our team was just as bad as the Leafs are now. Let’s not get (too) arrogant/cocky.

(3) I think Chipchura’s time will come but I hope Carbonneau doesn’t destroy this kids confidence. I believe he has the potential to be a better player than Lapierre or Begin. With the right coaching he could be another Carbonneau type of defensive player. This kid has leadership skills but we need to be patient with him. Remember we will lose some regulars as UFAs next year.

(4) Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all the Canadian based fans on here. (Sorry US based friends!)

44. Number31 says:

I’m hoping Chips gets to play soon. He’s a smart, defensive forward, and even when he loses a faceoff he tries to get that puck back right away. Dandy was skating around last night looking so lackadaisical it was driving me mad. Sure he’s quick and is pretty good at poking the puck off others or beating the icing call, but then he usually never follows through afterwards… Lappy (or Fruit Punch, as I call him) is alright, but he can also play on the wing. It’s the 4th line…and it’s the Flyers who are probably pissed after losing their home opener. Dandy doesn’t have the type of grit they need to play against that team. If Dandy sits tomorrow, Fruit Punch takes his place and Chips goes center, that’s one hard working shut down line right there (which is what that 4th line is usually used for these days anyway).

It’s weird considered how many shutdown/defensive forwards are coaching this team that they don’t seem to want to use Chips. (And I didn’t find his camp that awful). Or maybe they’re just keeping his games-played low so he won’t have to hit waivers every time he goes to Hamilton… Still, it’s kind of annoying considering who’s being played instead.

45. nightmare_49 says:

C M 1 – Well said.

46. jody1974 says:

even better clip

” Drive is on for Cup # 25 “

47. bidds55 says:

Chips is good, and he will get his chance to play. Personally, I think Dandy sits against Philly, so that Chips gets in. Sitting any of Begin, Kostopoulos, or Lapierre against the Flyers would be a mistake. Begin has taken some bad penalties, but we need the grit he brings against Philly, because Big Georges isn’t healthy yet.

Once BGL is healthy, we won’t need so many mid-level grit guys, and I think at that point, we could see Chipchura getting a regular spot, mostly between BGL and TTB, with a sprinkling of Lapierre, leaving Begin and Dandy as frequent visitors to the “Ryder”.

Patience please. And faith in Coach Carbo.

For anyone interested, there is an awesome hockey card show at Centre Pierre Charbonneau in Montreal Oct 24, 25, 26 (the weekend of the HIO summit). I have no affiliation with it, but I’ll be there, as will Carey Price, Andrei & Sergei Kostitsyn and more!

48. Blitzen says:

I think Laps and Dandy are both being showcased for a trade(s) to clear roster space. Chips showed he belonged during pre-season. And we have Laraque waiting.
    Mad Pax…Beyond Powerdome

49. Habs fan in SF says:

i’m sure we won’t get much for either of them. dandy makes too much money for what he gives you and with teams juggling their salary caps, why would they want to take on his salary when i’m sure a rookie could give you the same output – if not better numbers.

50. Habs fan in SF says:

so i recall pierre mcguire saying on team 990 (i’m a nerd and listen to it online at work here in SF) that chipchura’s skating isn’t as good as it was when he was a top prospect. i know he’s got great leadership qualities though. could be a brian skrudland or mike keane type of player? if so, i like!

51. Number31 says:

I dunno, man… Since last night, Habs fans have been rather gracious victors. It’s the comments from Leafs Nation that have me baffled…

52. RiverviewCanadien says:

I agreed with that in another post, I was just throwing a name out there…no doubt Big O needs ice time…he needs to hit more though, like that lacing that Tanguay put on Colaiacovo, I mean Big O laying a beat down like that, WOW, the other guy would be out…he just needs to hit more, like Big K

53. Woah_Dana says:

Like most are saying, it’s definitely not the original & nothing could ever compare to the original, I mean for me that was the anthem to my childhood. But this new one could definitely be worse. I like that is has a vintage sound to it, as opposed to something modern & mainstream sounding. I can see my kids growing up with that on the tele on Saturday nights. So yeah, I approve.

& I agree, it’s hard to nix the bagpipes 🙂

GO HABS!

54. nightmare_49 says:

Ron Wilson laff’s Head Coach goes on Rant, Blasts Bipolar Media .. Sun media ….. …………………………………………. For Tanning Snowbirds – Free NHL Tickets .. by James Mirtle ….. ………………………………………. Flyers Preview ; Bandaid Defence .. by Ed Moran .. …..

55. Exit716 says:

In the spirit of the new CBA and the generous contributions of the Montreal Canadiens to the revenue sharing fund, here’s how some of our cash-strapped cousins are using our money.

And that team exists for what specific reason?

56. howtathor says:

I hope Chips gets a shot tonight. He deserves it. He doesn’t run around aimlessly like Dandy and he uses his smart positioning to make up for his lack of speed. I’m afraid Lappy is here to stay so he’d better get used to playing wing. In all fairness he is good on the PK and really gets opposing players riled at him.

57. nick says:

Sorry to change the subject.

Saw an article last night… for the life of me i can’t find it this morning.
    It announced the winner of the new hockey night in Canada theme.

Correct me if i’m wrong, but this looks to be it:

Whats everyone think?

Personally… It’s not the old one HNIC theme, nor will it ever be. With that said, I find it pretty original, has some power to it, and who can say no to bag pipes 😉

58. HabsFanInTampa says:

I wish Georges Laracque was healthy and playing this game. I believe we’re going to win tonight, but I wanted Philly to physically hurt a little. Philly sent us to the golf links last year due to our lack of size and grit.

59. HABZ24 says:

i still dont know why lappierre and begin need to play, both are the same type of player, sit one play chippy.habs have something to prove vs philly after they sent our butts packing last spring. look out philly the big red,white and blue machine is comming your way.

60. HabsFanInTampa says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends, family and HIO bretheren!

61. G-Man says:

As a player, Gretzky was the “whiniest one.” He seemed to believe the other team should only have 4 skaters at all times. 🙂
    Truthfully, though, he was one of the worst yappers ever. Followed closely by Carbo.

2008/09 is the season of the Habs

62. Y says:

Just wait until March, Fletcher will have lost his mind and progressed into self-sustained dementia watching his hapless team. We might just be able to snag their 1st overall pick.

63. Y says:

Just bring out #71 for games against TO so he can show us the cool moves he learnt while watching Paul Coffey and Bobby Orr videos.

64. Habs fan in SF says:

am i alone here in thinking it’s weird to see the “great one” behind the bench throwing tantrums and probably dropping “F” bombs at the refs? as a player, he was so mellow and he had his goons to protect him. i don’t know, it seems strange for me seeing gretzky pull temper tantrums behind the bench,,

65. pdunph says:

When you’re a 4th line player like Begin with minimal value, those penalties against Buffalo are inexcusable.

Also, I don’t understand why Lapierre is in the lineup so often. He strays away from fights, he doesn’t hit all that much, and his defensive game is not very good considering his role in the lineup. The only times that I can remember him being somewhat effective was when he was playing with Latendresse and Sergei Kostitsyn. I’d much rather see Chipchura in there at least to see what he can do for a few games.

66. sidhu says:

A pylon would be better than Breezer, at least it won’t take unnecessary roughing penalties at inopportune times.

67. likehoy says:

dandy is a much more competent dman than breezer…but cause breeze can’t play forward and helps our pp…he’ll get the nod on D…dandy who can play forward will get his chances at forward.

68. DD says:

Brian Burke aka Blow Hard

69. Xtrahabsfan says:

pdunph,please forgive me for not being habs correct,Begin makes sure the boy’s don’t play like pussies!GO HABS GO…