Chipchura goes to the ‘dogs

That was quick.

Kyle Chipchura has been returned to the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Recalled yesterday by the Canadiens, Chipchura rushed to the Bell Centre carrying his own equipment late in the afternoon and played 11:26 against Florida in his first game with the Canadiens this season.

Chipchura began the season in Montreal but was a healthy scratch for the Canadiens’ first four games and was sent to Hamilton on Oct. 16.

1. HabsMadUK says:

Good post, although if you look at the stats after 6 games, Kovy is only 1 point off his total at the same point last season:

07/08 after 6 games: 3G, 2A, 5Pts, +/-Even
    08/09 after 6 games: 2G, 2A, 4Pts, +1

He does have almost twice as many shots though (21 so far this season, 11 at the same point last season) which may indicate he’s trying too hard – could having linemates in a bit of a funk be the cause of that? I haven’t seen much of the games (it seems they’re only screening laffs games in the UK at the moment) so can’t comment on the quality of the chances he’s had.

He’ll be fine!

2. Number31 says:

Yup, the team needs him to step in and close the door when Price gets a break. Price may get the harder teams, but everyone still shoots like an NHLer. I don’t think the other guys in the line are ready to take over that slot. It keeps the team winning too, so why would they want to lose him? (That said, even he wanted to stay here instead of go elsewhere for a number 1 job during the summer contract talks).

3. twocents says:

I have a feeling Bob isn’t the type to deliver that message twice, especially to 35 year old professional.

4. Chorske says:

Fair enough. Perhaps its time Bob took him for another walk, haha.

5. Chorske says:

I have a dream too! Her name is Alba. 😉

6. Willy the bum says:

How about bringing a team to Yellowknife? Oh, now that’s something. They should call them “the Yellowknife Inukshuks.” I would definitely see a season of them in the blizzering cold, and letting Don Cherry pronounce the name…

———-
    “We all wore the same costume as Maurice Richard did; the red-white-and-blue costume of the Montréal Canadiens, the best hockey team in the world.” – Roch Carrier

7. major says:

Oh, and it could be as simple as creating an “All” tag.

8. major says:

Just to clarify, I’m not suggesting that they move Boone’s posts or abolish his section – he should keep his own section. What I’m advocating is a view option that allows for an aggregate view of ALL the HIO content, including Main/Boone/OtherWing bloggers etc.

9. habsgod says:

or how’s this one?

WHAT’S BLUE AND WHITE AND LIVES IN THE BASEMENT?

ANSWER:
    THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS!

10. Fansincebirth says:

We’re technically undefeated and we’re not even firing on all cylinders yet. Look out when we hit our stride!!!

11. linp says:

For me, we are one quality D-man short to become a complete team for this year. Brisebois is too slow and O‘Byrne needs improvement including his reflex in front of the net.

12. HabFab says:

Those were my thoughts also ,however would actually force Toronto to start icing good teams…hhhmm!

13. HabFab says:

Amanda ,you go girl!! BUT you must have realized that you were setting yourself up for some shots from a group of mostly male sport nuts.Too bad you don’t have connections to Saku .He and Selanne are old time buddies.Hope you realize your dream BUT will still tease.

14. coachdoug says:

Right on…and when all the lines start clicking…look out!

15. HabFab says:

It counts per game as in $954k/82 in Chippers case.The Bulldogs have a game Wednesday and it sounds like the Habs are confident that either AK46 or Higgins or both will be back Saturday.

16. twocents says:

I see by your last reply that you are specifically talking about the PP. I wasn’t. That’s a more complicated thing. Things are not happening 5 on 5 for him either and Kovy didn’t have a +18 rating last year by only being successful on the PP. It is less likely that strategic adjustments are the explanation for his 5 on 5 effectiveness. Anyway, too early to tell, but I am on record as being skeptical of Kovy’s new man status after one season. He has to prove his ability to maintain his team first focus through the first half of this season and through some adversity to convince me. I am really looking forward to being convinced by him, I hope he can do it.

17. G-Man says:

NHL governors think Hamilton is a hick town that is too close to Buffalo? Buffalo should move to Hamilton, for crissakes. (The population of Buffalo has dwindled to 250,000. The Bills are moving to Toronto within 5 years the way things are looking.)Buffalo is a big town, not a city.
    While we’re moving franchises, Nashville to Winnipeg and Atlanta to Quebec City. Carolina to Halifax. The Coyotes to Saskatoon. There, that’s Canadian representation! Sigh, 4 more sleeps until the next game.

Gilbert
    2008/09 is the season of the Habs

18. coutNY says:

BTW Komi’s 1st with 30 hits

19. GrimJim says:

I think it’s also a cap hit thing. Doesn’t the cap say that for every day someone is on the roster their salary counts against the cap but each day assigned to the minors its doesn’t? So if Mtl sends him down on Tuesday and recalls him Sat, the Habs save 3 days worth of salary.

20. Steiner says:

Hardly stalking!! Haven’t you ever had a dream! I just want to shake the hand of the man who made me fall in love with the sport!

Doug, I got to tell you. WE HAVE OUR TEAM with plenty of back up. Are you guys boared or what.! We will not bring in anyone from outside the organisation this year. And in case you have not noticed, we have not lost a game yet.

22. Mr.Hazard says:

LOL agreed!

Ex nihilo nihil fit

23. Willy the bum says:

Boy, does Toronto really needs another team? Any city in Canada would be great, ’cause the country need more chances to bring the Cup home, but seriously Toronto already have wasted money on their second-last place team (oops, I predicted too early… sorry!)

Might as well bring back the Québec Nordiques or the Winnipeg Jets…

Or put the team in a new city like say, “the Halifax Codfishes” or “the Labrador Newfies”…. whoa, no offence to people who caught my name-callings.

———-

24. Justin A says:

And they are both at the Bottom of the ocean?

25. mrhabby says:

What do the Leafs and The Titanic have in common?
    – They both look good until they hit the ice.

26. krob1000 says:

AK’s line has generated sevarl chances and that means they are fine……resuts are results but as long as they are getting chances (and that they are) then there is nothing to worry about. KOvy has already hit several posts and Andrei and Pleks have been snakebitten…..it will all sort itself out. To make it that much worse they haven’t been padding their stats on the pp. Team shave been focussing on them since the first or second month of last year and that has nothing to do with it. On the pp it may as set plays and an aggressive defensive with an overplay on Kovy can sometimes succeed but 5 on 5 they are fine. Kovy has had a difficult time in open ice at times too beating guys one on one but I attribute it as much to poor early season ice, trying too hard (because some of the resutls ahven’t been there) and bad luck. That line is just fine folks….as long as Andrei comes back. Pleks has yet to roof one of his cross ice one timers from Markov or Kovy and Andrei has yet to get really dirty in front or beat guys one on one. Ths lie is fine folks….just fine.

27. Bean says:

i love all the links to other sites, they’re very informative but PLEASE can they be formatted to open in a different window/tab?

Seconded! I’d like to see that too.

I’m going to add a formatting request of my own – in the Photos section, can the fullsized photo view pages have Previous Photo and Next Photo links? I LOVE the photo section, but as I view them all full-sized it’s kinda annoying to have to keep going back to the thumbnail page just to see the big version of the next shot. Being able to cycle through all the full-sized pictures would be great!

28. ebk says:

actually that is something you can do on your own

Right-clcik on the link, it should open a tab that allows you to open the link in a different window/tab

29. bidds55 says:

No way did BG leak anything to anyone. Not a chance.
    _________________
    For anyone interested, there is an awesome hockey card show at Centre Pierre Charbonneau in Montreal Oct 24, 25, 26 (the weekend of the HIO summit). I have no affiliation with it, but I’ll be there, as will Carey Price, Andrei & Sergei Kostitsyn and more!

30. upintheblues says:

i agree with you on the ‘peg and q-city votes.

sorry for my apparent ignorance, but i don’t even understand how toronto’s the biggest market. for years now, expansion has always looked south, into big cities population-wise, but full of folks who couldn’t care less about hockey for the most part.

so does that mean there are no other cities of toronto’s population or larger that don’t have teams?

if market meant enough people to support a team regardless of city size, there would be thousands fewer broken hearts in winnipeg and q-city! okay, maybe that’s just me wishing…

anyway, isn’t the whole thing that keeps leafs fans going and interested despite a lousy product for a hella long time TRADITION? …yes, and (insert witty laffs insults here). so unless that new team was an instant success, why would anyone switch over?

all in all, the whole logic of the idea is lost on me, but i guess i feel that way about a lot of league business decisions.

31. wd40 says:

could work, i suppose. goaltending controversy’s tend to disrupt the team chemistry, but often those situations involve one or more veterans. the splitting of the load (or near) might work here given the fact they are both excellent young goaltenders.

that being said, a lot of armchair GMs i work with think Halak is little more than trade bait. no disrespect to Denis, but i am not comfortable with him backing up Price.

i too admire Halak for his grace in accepting the cards he’s been dealt, and how he always seems to rise to the occasion when given an opportunity. 1.00 GAA, .967 SV%. pardon the pun, but i think he’s a keeper. :)

32. coachdoug says:

I think we don’t need Gaborik. It would be wiser to wait until the trade deadline and adjust as necessary. He gets hurt way too much and too many personalities sometimes mess up the chemistry. Habs have great chemistry now. The earlier comments about teams doing there homework on AK’s line are true. The other fact is that the NHL gets faster every year. A lot of teams are in the process of converting to “speed” teams and it will be a different season because of that.

33. Justin A says:

I saw the news report and it had me laughing! I guess Leafs fans need two teams in Toronto to make them feel better about themselves. In their eyes they can think that maybe with two teams they have double the chances of getting a cup, I guess if this happens we could only see how loyal the Laffs fans really are? And if they did get a second team where would they play? It would also give the Habs another reason to smile because it gives them another Toronto team to kick around, and another laughing stock for the NHL.