Chipchura goes to the ‘dogs

That was quick.

Kyle Chipchura has been returned to the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Recalled yesterday by the Canadiens, Chipchura rushed to the Bell Centre carrying his own equipment late in the afternoon and played 11:26 against Florida in his first game with the Canadiens this season.

Chipchura began the season in Montreal but was a healthy scratch for the Canadiens’ first four games and was sent to Hamilton on Oct. 16.

1. Kaptain K says:

Add a couple random individual ones:
    Shooting percent (Goals/Shots): Tangauy (14th=33.3%), Koivu (30th=27.3%)

2. upintheblues says:

I don’t know what kind of crazy hiring policy they have at CBC/HNIC that would end up with him in the job, but the fact that we get the station for free is really the only reason left for watching it.

3. Chuck says:

4. cautiousoptimist says:

Thanks for the round-up, Georges.

1. – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
    2. Josh Gorges on Montreal’s attack: “They’re comin’, they’re comin’ and they keep comin’. Just line after line, wave after wave…”

5. upintheblues says:

while we’re on the topic of formatting…

i love all the links to other sites, they’re very informative. but PLEASE can they be formatted to open in a different window/tab? i hate all the back and forth business.

otherwise, love the site and all the links!

6. nightmare_49 says:

H – Nice pick up.

7. Mr.Hazard says:

Of course all these points are true. But I am a fan of Halak, and always have been, as he’s proved himself time and time again. I remember being pissed when they kept Price over Halak at the start of last season, even tho Halak did better in the preseason and already had NHL experience.

I love Pricey, he’s a (very, very calm) beast, and I do like that Halak has already been given 2 starts. But I’d like to see Halak play even more. I’m uncomfortable with this idea that Price is our unquestionable number 1. We traded Huet because of that concept, and in the playoffs we could have used a more experienced goalie.

It’s not the way the team usually does business. Like what they’re saying about Koivu. He won’t be given any resigning privileges. It’s a business, right? The numbers matter. If Halak can post better numbers, why shouldn’t he be #1?

For me, it comes down to: I wish we didn’t have to choose between the two. But since we do… what’s the best method of choosing?

Ex nihilo nihil fit

8. Robert L says:

My kid has a Daffy Duck Halloween suit, does that work?

9. cautiousoptimist says:

If Bob were approached, there’s no way he’d tell the press about it and let Risebrough’s secret out. He’s too classy for that.

1. – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

10. nightmare_49 says:

New York Times Morning Skate : The Unsavory Avery Returns!(krob). A 2nd Team in toronto? .. by Stu Hackel ….. ……………….. Transactions : St.Louis picks up David Koci and more Moves …..

11. Hoegarden says:

One more very good article on the Bulldogs from La Presse, F.Lemenu.

Mainly, Don Lever is extremely pleased with the play of Desharnais, Maxwell, White and Weber.
    MaxPac is struggling a bit adjusting to the AHL. As Lever says, he’ll give him a couple more weeks before focussing on him.

12. Hoegarden says:

Excellent read from the Hamilton Spectator.
    Dogs 20 for 20 on penalty kill.

13. Habs_008 says:

I hope it was, but i dont think Gainey talks to the media at all about possible trades, I find it hard to believe that someone from the Canadien family would leak that…maybe someone from minny would.

14. The Teacher says:

Oh, I’m so grateful that they keep Boone’s posts where it is, facilitates things much better.

My suggested overtime format and other sports talk

15. The Teacher says:

TSN- NHL
    Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size
    Text Size

Marian Gaborik’s days as a member of the Minnesota Wild could be ending sooner than later.

An unnamed NHL team executive told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune this week that Wild general manager Doug Risebrough has been actively shopping the star forward around the league and offered Gaborik to his team in a trade over the weekend.

According to the paper, the executive said he was not interested.

Could that have been Bob?

My suggested overtime format and other sports talk

16. major says:

A request to the HabsI/O crew:
    Can we have a thread view that includes the Boone & Other Wing posts all in one place, chronologically ordered? I don’t find it intuitive to “leave” the Main postings to view the “About last night” posts for example. I understand that some bloggers should have their own sections for their devoted readers and that’s fine, but there should be a “view all” kind of option. Not that I’m complaining or anything 😉

17. georgesd says:

18. Chuck says:

Does anyone have a Selanne jersey that they could loan me?

19. Chuck says:

Though Halak has been exceptional, you also have to take into account the face that both of his wins came against the laffs and the Panthers… not exactly a couple of powerhouse teams.

That said I’d have not qualms about playing him against some stiffer competition, but Carey’s out go-to guy.

20. mrhabby says:

bring in another DMAN like Boumeester to bulk up the blue line even more.???????.

21. Chorske says:

Haha, I actually enjoy bitching, it’s the default mode of communication in my family!

That’s my read, at any rate. Teams are being a lot more disciplined in terms of hounding Kovalev, letting him dipsy and doodle the minutes off the clock. That’s the problem with playing a game that’s based on puck possession: you need to pass and shoot if you want to score, and passing and shooting inherently involve some loss of possession. Sometimes, you really just have to move the puck in and see what happens. If I were Carbo/Muller, I’d either have Kovy directly challenge the D and force them to move, or shift him to the point.

22. georgesd says:

I agree wd40. Komi looks tougher and more resilient than he really is to a certain degree. I found that late last season and in the playoffs that he wore down.

We worry about Koivu’s long-term season playing capacity and rightly so. Carbo has reduced Koivu’s playing last season (-3 min) and this season (an add 3 min). He’s playing about 14-15 min per game and this has OBVIOUSLY brought him and his game to a more productive level. It doesn’t hurt to have wingers who can both score and make plays.

Komi’s a puzzle difficult to put together because he has built the reputation of being such a punishing player. Carbo, for the moment, just wants him not to fight. At some point he’ll have to help Komi to better evaluate when and if he should go for the hit or not. I’ve also found his decision-making sometimes takes him out of the play. Not as bad as O’Byrn for ex. last night did, but enough to warrant that the Canadiens bring in a bona-fide defense coach, as they had w Jacques Laperrière for so many years. Last year Éric Desjardins was there for the hiring but BG did not attempt to sign him. This year, Brisebois is probably on his last year. I wonder if he has the ‘mind-set’ to join the fold of Muller, Jarvis and Melanson?

Georges D.

23. havok says:

You should try to get the attention of Mr. Stubbs or Mr. Boone, they may be able to help you….

24. davecessna says:

Wow, another Chelios? He’s probably my 2nd favourite hockey player of my lifetime, after Super Mario of course 🙂 .

Gotta love Chelios, the future first man to crack an NHL roster at 70 years old.

25. twocents says:

TommyB, I was thinking that myself, I didn’t read the article but, I wonder if this isn’t a round about way of softening the loafs’ position on the Hamilton situation. You know, start this talk and when MLG says no way! the governors say ok ok ok we concede but, then you have to agree to Hamilton. ????

26. davecessna says:

Good for him, he got a bum deal when he brought us to a decisive make or not make playoff game against the Leafs 2 seasons ago and they started poor Huet in nets who got scored on, what, 6 times or something?

I agree with the notion that he is a better goalie than Huet, but not good enough to supplant Price as our #1. I admire his determined acceptance of his position on the team, despite being given the shaft.

27. mrhabby says:

2 teams in TO = more laffs for us.

28. Exit716 says:

They can have Fischer, not McDonagh who is apparently another Chelios.
    Gaborik sounds too fragile to waste a great young defenseman and a young roster player on.

29. wd40 says:

no sweat.

on that topic of Komisarek and his hits… i’m sure we all enjoy seeing him paste guys against the boards all season long, but frankly i wonder if he should be a little more discriminating. it’s a long season, and even a strapping young lad like Komisarek must get a little worn down by that level of physical play.

30. davecessna says:

Btw, I have may have been a bit harsh with my word choice. I’m not panicking either. Finally, I apologize that there was already discussion about this and I didn’t include my post there.

The fact remains that Kovalev WAS making 1 man plays when he should have passed. If hockey becomes basketball (flames incoming) I will stop watching it. I’m sure the absence of Andrei Kostitsyn and the vastly different playing style of his brother must have a great effect on the chemistry of that line. I’m not trying to be the grim reaper, prophet of doom, etc. it was only last game I really noticed it. Once again there is no reason to panic, RDS pointed out that Carbonneau isn’t worried, they ARE having a plethora of scoring chances.

31. georgesd says:

Thanks wd40, reached my limit of edits when I noticed my error. Appreciate. GD

32. TommyB says:

The NHL could put a second team in Toronto, but can’t put one in Hamilton??? Someone explain that one to me.

33. HabsColor says:

It’s believed the Wild is interested in Canadiens defenseman prospect Ryan McDonagh, a former Cretin-Derham Hall star and Minnesota Mr. Hockey who was Montreal’s No. 12 pick in 2007 and plays now at the University of Wisconsin. The Wild would also want an established player.

Who would be the “established player”???

34. mjames says:

It is you. Kovy did not play crap. He hit a post It was not his best game but he was threat whenever he was on the ice.

One thing about Lats. I like his skating effort. I would like him to work on his pass receiving. The puck seemed to bang off his stick whenever he was trying to receive a pass, especially those cross ice passes.

35. Wrik says:

I think that Chipchura looked great on the wing. Since he struggles in the Faceoff circle, may he could move to the wing and be a more effective player. He’s on a two-way, good decision to send him back down, he needs to play.

Anyhow, Sergei Kostitsyn is a special player.

36. wd40 says:

gotta typo up there:

2. Hits: Komisarek (1st=30), Lats (5th=23)

37. twocents says:

Ah…Chorske, you always come through. That is a far better analysis than what I have read over the last few days. That makes some sense. I was reacting to people who were saying he is being checked more closely and being double and triple teamed! and I just didn’t see it. Your saying teams are actually backing off a bit and taking his usual avenues away, thank you. Excellent analysis. I will be watching very closely for this over the next few games. With his skill set he is capable of making effective changes to his game, if he can see things as clearly as you and is determined to overcome the adjustments.

By the way, I wasn’t bitching, I was reacting to excuses being offered that did not ring true. I am a happy happy fan, as we should all be right now.

38. wd40 says:

1 in 3 is not a bad ratio for a backup, i’d say. At that rate, he’s lookin’ at what, 25+ games this year.

39. georgesd says:

A few stats about the Habs as a team:

1. Winning %ge: .917 rank: 3rd
    2. PK: 85.2% 11th
    3. PP: 17.9 % 15th
    4. Face offs: 53.3 % 6th
    5. Goals 5 on 5 For/against: 1.83 1st

A few stats about the Habs indivdual players:

1. +/-: 5 Habs top 13: Koivu (1st=8), Markov (2nd=7), Tanguay (3rd=7), Komisarek (8th=6), Latendresse (13th=5).
    2. Hits: Komisarek (1st=20), Latendresse (5th=23)
    3. Blocked shots: Komisarek (1st=27)
    4. Points: Koivu (8th=9), Markov (12th=9)
    5. Goalies Winning %: Price .939 (5th), Halak .967 (1st BUT not on NHL radar)

Regards GD

40. Mr.Hazard says:

So. Why don’t they let Halak play more games?

Ex nihilo nihil fit

41. HabFab says:

No Batman, it is “Holy Staulking Steiner”!

42. wd40 says:

PJ Stock would complain about the Habs if we had 6 wins in 5 games.

43. Chorske says:

OMG, holy restraining order!

44. Chorske says:

I just read it. I agree that mood and motivation can play a factor, especially when a player is as mercurial as Kovalev. But I think it’s a bit harsh to ignore the fact that opposing teams have had an entire summer to plan against Kovy… and our power play, which several folks have rightly pointed out seems less effective than last year. We were #1 last year, so you can bet coaches spent a lot of time looking at how to beat us. I’m not surprised there’s an adjustment period.

To this I add: we were bitching about getting more 5 on 5 goals. We got em. We were bitching about most of our productivity coming from the Kovy line. We now have three-four lines chipping in, plus, our D is KILLING them in the offensive zone.

And last: last year, one comment that kept coming up was that Kovy, by focusing on holding the puck, was drawing guys to himself, freeing up space for his linemates. The press pointed it out, we noted it, so you gotta assume that the coaching staff of every single eastern conference team noticed it too. And I’ll bet the first thing they told their guys was: if Kovy has the puck, let him cycle against the boards, don’t let him into the slot, clog passes across the crease, and only one guy edges forward to challenge him. Seems to be working.

45. Steiner says:

This is going to be a bit off topic, but I didnt really know where else to write this.

This Saturday, the Ducks will be in town. Ever since I was a little girl, growing up in a hockey household, I never had the dream of meeting the Hollywood star, and was the odd girl out in my group of friends. My dream date was Teemu Selanne, and Guy Carbonneau. Not Brad Pitt and George Clooney.

Teemu Selanne is about to set foot in town, and I can’t tell you the excitement I feel. I have idolized this man since I was a little girl, and to meet him would be one of the most incredible moments of my life. I know that the Habs drive into the Bell Center, but what Im here to ask is if anyone knows when/where/how the visiting team enters the Bell Center on game day. I’m definitely not one to stand outside and wait for the Habs – I can’t imagine how irritating it must get for them – but this is different for me. To meet Mr. Selanne could fulfill a lifelong dream of meeting a man I idolized for his 76 goals as a seven year old girl.

If anyone knows when and where they come and go from the Bell Center you would certainly be making the seven year old girl in me happier than ever.

I appreciate any info.

Thanks guys!

46. twocents says:

Chorske, Do you really think Kovalev is being checked any more closely than he was after Christmas last year?

I don’t want to join in on a negative chorus here, it’s only six games and things can look very different in a week’s time but, I am not sure of that explanation. If you care to check, I have posted some thoughts on this matter on Boone’s current ‘About Last Night’ thread.

47. B says:

I smiled reading the following sentence from McGran’s article:

“Grabovski, who earnestly give interviews despite his broken English…”

48. Chorske says:

Um. “Puck hogging douchebag”?! Here’s the thing. That line had a lot of success last year because no one saw it coming. I didn’t, you didn’t, nobody here saw it, opposing teams certainly didn’t. The focus was on Koivu and his line, Koivu’s numbers reflected all the attention he was getting and Kovalev was like a kid in a candy factory. Since then, teams have had the time to see a lot of film and figure out ways to hamper them. They’re good players, they’ll work their way around it.

But the biggest effect is that opposing D’s are now being surprised by the resurgent Koivu Tanguay (and WHOA, Lats) line, to obvious effect- and Lang is always dangerous. And that’s exactly WHY we got Tanguay and Lang: to have strong #2 and #3 lines while opposing Ds focus on our #1 line.

You could therefore say that Kovy is taking one for the team.

49. ebk says:

nice post. Six games and we have to listen to the good Kovy/bad Kovy crap again.

50. fun police says:

there is no more important offensive player on our team than kovy. i don’t care how good of a start some of the players have had, everyone of them would tell you that they benefit from kovy, even if they are not on the same line. kovy draws the oppositions top checking line, he creates space and he is still getting plenty of scoring chances. he is our best player.

51. jimbo says:

Without being to much of a “Lats basher”here,but what does he do that Higgins wouldn’t surpass on that line?After watching the first 6 games,it’s important to say that Lats is playing more inspired this year compared to others.But to say he’s playing like a top line player or “power forward” is a little more than a stretch.He can’t take a pass which blows the rush,and on a line with quick transition,that’s a must have skill.He’d be better suited with Kovy and Lang,who are good with the puck,so all he has to do is play to his strength.Which is his size.He can skate to the front of the net and beat in rebounds or fish pucks out the corners to the more skilled guys who are not going to pass him the puck on the rush anyways.

52. Habs fan in SF says:

why do i torture myself and listen to PJ Stock’s show?? i can’t stand this guy. PJ is such a freakin’ idiot. he sounds like some of the dumb posters on here. despite us having 11 pts out of a possible 12, he still critisizes them.

is it just me, or isn’t it too freaking early to start getting on pleks and kovy’s back?? we’re only 6 games into the season, for christ’s sake!!!!!!

53. HabsFanInTampa says:

Ah yes. A team in Quebec City to resurrect the Nordiques/Canadiens bitter rivalry of the 80’s and 90’s. Count my vote in! As for another team in Toronto….YAWN!

54. Naila Jinnah says:

Poor guy. It’s a tough life!

55. HABZ24 says:

they prob sent chippy down because higgys returning sat.halak played great. watching latts skate last nite i was impressed, what a diff over last year.skating lessons over the summer helped.he skates a lil quicker, turns quicker and excels quicker.hits and gets infront of the net.good job latts. nice to have frankie back on the blue line.ya kovey went back to coasty last nite. 9 of 10 pts in 5 games awesome!! go habz goooooo!!

56. von says:

Chipper’s being sent down because we don’t play again till Saturday… May as well keep him fresh with the ‘Dogs playing tomorrow.

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

57. Robert L says:

…and they’d be thrilled to finally have an NHL team!

58. Mike from Ktown says:

I feel that line is trying to hard in the sense that they feel they must get it going by themselves. I don’t know how many times this year I’ve seen Kovy bring the puck up the boards in the offensive zone and instead of cycling it down low he tries to cut back down by himself and loses the puck cause there are two guys on him. They just have to get back to basics and play the system they did last year and it will come.

59. sidhu says:

Not a reflection of Chipper’s play – it’s a salary cap move

60. fuhgawz says:

kovy bashers …… ah how nice of you to turn on the dude who was the team last season so nice to see you back …… good god we are 6 games into an 82 game season let it rest …… no one on the line has been lighting it up …….give it some time i think he is going through a low at the moment but will turn around mark my word !! …. last night i agree was a horrible game for him horrible!! ….. but i have seen Kovy play shitty one night and unreal the next before who’s to say it can’t happen again ….. things are not going his way at the moment i don’t think that makes him selfish or pissed off that he is not getting the attention you can tell he is fighting out there trying to do to much to pull it together … i am sure Carbo will have a chat with him or BG and settle him back in ….. time people time …. i say a Kovy with 50-60 points is still as good as a Kovy with 80+ points ….

61. Habs fan in SF says:

yeah, i realize it’s the biggest market. i see it from a business perspective, but i’d rather see a franchise back in winnipeg, and quebec city before i see another team in toronto.

62. Revolution No. 9 says:

I was thinking something along those lines but seeing the lines you’ve got there, I think it’s an even better idea.

63. Revolution No. 9 says:

Well, market-wise it is the biggest and most lucrative (aka: best for money). And, frankly, if I lived in TO, I would also demand another team based on the product currently on offer.

64. MikeL says:

biggest – yes
    best – no

65. MikeL says:

He will be back in the NHL sooner or later…

At this point in his career, I think it would be much more beneficial for him to play 3rd or 4th line minutes with the big team than first line minutes with Hamilton. We all know what he can do, he just needs a chance to do it. If he does not get a chance here, some team is going to pick of a real solid 3rd or 4th line leader.

66. Habs fan in SF says:

a second NHL team in Toronto?? i especially love this quote: “Why shouldn’t we put another team in the best and biggest market in the world?” one of several NHL governors who spoke with The Globe anonymously said of the Greater Toronto Area.”

67. jimbo says:

Switch Lats with Higgins and let’s get it going

68. HabFab says:

At least he is not floating ,just not clicking and producing.In fact he appears along with his two linemates to be trying too hard at times and getting more frustrated in the process.

69. davecessna says:

Is it just me or did Kovalev play like a real pile of crap last night. God, even Mr. Benny “Habscandonowrong” Brunet seemed to be on the cusp of calling Kovy out for a bunch of selfish plays and overambitious dekes that resulted in turnovers.

However, I still say the man is a modern day hockey hero (or King) for this city; even if it’s one, two, hell even 3 games he decides to play like a puck hogging douchebag, he’s probably the only player on the team who can get away with it without feeling too much ire from the fans.

70. Iceberg84 says:

If Andrei K. is healthy and ready to go next week, maybe they should consider breaking up the top line from last season. How about something like this?

Higgins – Lang – Kovalev
    Andrei K. – Plekanec – Sergei K.
    Laraque/Begin – Lapierre – Kostopoulos/Dandy

Just as a change of pace to see if we can get Kovalev and Plekanec competing with the Koivu line for point production. I mean I’m not complaining, I’m happy the team is winning, but I’d like to see the boys from last year’s top line find their scoring touch again. What do you guys think?

71. tony d says:

i hope he collects air miles

72. mrhabby says:

and how is BG going to fit MG into the cap. seems to me we would have to give up more than Higgins,Halak,Dandy,Begin. We have to keep Mcdonaugh ..will likely be a great DMan down the road.
    now Boumeester in HABS uniform i like..awesome.

73. bidds55 says:

Why would you break up the (by far) best producing line on the team?
    For anyone interested, there is an awesome hockey card show at Centre Pierre Charbonneau in Montreal Oct 24, 25, 26 (the weekend of the HIO summit). I have no affiliation with it, but I’ll be there, as will Carey Price, Andrei & Sergei Kostitsyn and more!