Chipchura goes to the ‘dogs

That was quick.

Kyle Chipchura has been returned to the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Recalled yesterday by the Canadiens, Chipchura rushed to the Bell Centre carrying his own equipment late in the afternoon and played 11:26 against Florida in his first game with the Canadiens this season.

Chipchura began the season in Montreal but was a healthy scratch for the Canadiens’ first four games and was sent to Hamilton on Oct. 16.

1. Hoegarden says:

Excellent read from the Hamilton Spectator.
    Dogs 20 for 20 on penalty kill.

2. Habs_008 says:

I hope it was, but i dont think Gainey talks to the media at all about possible trades, I find it hard to believe that someone from the Canadien family would leak that…maybe someone from minny would.

3. The Teacher says:

Oh, I’m so grateful that they keep Boone’s posts where it is, facilitates things much better.

My suggested overtime format and other sports talk

4. The Teacher says:

TSN- NHL
    Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size
    Text Size

Marian Gaborik’s days as a member of the Minnesota Wild could be ending sooner than later.

An unnamed NHL team executive told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune this week that Wild general manager Doug Risebrough has been actively shopping the star forward around the league and offered Gaborik to his team in a trade over the weekend.

According to the paper, the executive said he was not interested.

Could that have been Bob?

My suggested overtime format and other sports talk

5. major says:

A request to the HabsI/O crew:
    Can we have a thread view that includes the Boone & Other Wing posts all in one place, chronologically ordered? I don’t find it intuitive to “leave” the Main postings to view the “About last night” posts for example. I understand that some bloggers should have their own sections for their devoted readers and that’s fine, but there should be a “view all” kind of option. Not that I’m complaining or anything ;-)

6. georgesd says:

Agreed

GD

7. Chuck says:

Does anyone have a Selanne jersey that they could loan me?

__________________________________

8. Chuck says:

Though Halak has been exceptional, you also have to take into account the face that both of his wins came against the laffs and the Panthers… not exactly a couple of powerhouse teams.

That said I’d have not qualms about playing him against some stiffer competition, but Carey’s out go-to guy.

__________________________________

9. mrhabby says:

bring in another DMAN like Boumeester to bulk up the blue line even more.???????.

10. Chorske says:

Haha, I actually enjoy bitching, it’s the default mode of communication in my family!

That’s my read, at any rate. Teams are being a lot more disciplined in terms of hounding Kovalev, letting him dipsy and doodle the minutes off the clock. That’s the problem with playing a game that’s based on puck possession: you need to pass and shoot if you want to score, and passing and shooting inherently involve some loss of possession. Sometimes, you really just have to move the puck in and see what happens. If I were Carbo/Muller, I’d either have Kovy directly challenge the D and force them to move, or shift him to the point.

11. georgesd says:

I agree wd40. Komi looks tougher and more resilient than he really is to a certain degree. I found that late last season and in the playoffs that he wore down.

We worry about Koivu’s long-term season playing capacity and rightly so. Carbo has reduced Koivu’s playing last season (-3 min) and this season (an add 3 min). He’s playing about 14-15 min per game and this has OBVIOUSLY brought him and his game to a more productive level. It doesn’t hurt to have wingers who can both score and make plays.

Komi’s a puzzle difficult to put together because he has built the reputation of being such a punishing player. Carbo, for the moment, just wants him not to fight. At some point he’ll have to help Komi to better evaluate when and if he should go for the hit or not. I’ve also found his decision-making sometimes takes him out of the play. Not as bad as O’Byrn for ex. last night did, but enough to warrant that the Canadiens bring in a bona-fide defense coach, as they had w Jacques Laperrière for so many years. Last year Éric Desjardins was there for the hiring but BG did not attempt to sign him. This year, Brisebois is probably on his last year. I wonder if he has the ‘mind-set’ to join the fold of Muller, Jarvis and Melanson?

Georges D.

12. havok says:

You should try to get the attention of Mr. Stubbs or Mr. Boone, they may be able to help you….

13. davecessna says:

Wow, another Chelios? He’s probably my 2nd favourite hockey player of my lifetime, after Super Mario of course :) .

Gotta love Chelios, the future first man to crack an NHL roster at 70 years old.

14. twocents says:

TommyB, I was thinking that myself, I didn’t read the article but, I wonder if this isn’t a round about way of softening the loafs’ position on the Hamilton situation. You know, start this talk and when MLG says no way! the governors say ok ok ok we concede but, then you have to agree to Hamilton. ????

15. davecessna says:

Good for him, he got a bum deal when he brought us to a decisive make or not make playoff game against the Leafs 2 seasons ago and they started poor Huet in nets who got scored on, what, 6 times or something?

I agree with the notion that he is a better goalie than Huet, but not good enough to supplant Price as our #1. I admire his determined acceptance of his position on the team, despite being given the shaft.

16. mrhabby says:

2 teams in TO = more laffs for us.

17. Exit716 says:

They can have Fischer, not McDonagh who is apparently another Chelios.
    Gaborik sounds too fragile to waste a great young defenseman and a young roster player on.

18. wd40 says:

no sweat.

on that topic of Komisarek and his hits… i’m sure we all enjoy seeing him paste guys against the boards all season long, but frankly i wonder if he should be a little more discriminating. it’s a long season, and even a strapping young lad like Komisarek must get a little worn down by that level of physical play.

19. davecessna says:

Btw, I have may have been a bit harsh with my word choice. I’m not panicking either. Finally, I apologize that there was already discussion about this and I didn’t include my post there.

The fact remains that Kovalev WAS making 1 man plays when he should have passed. If hockey becomes basketball (flames incoming) I will stop watching it. I’m sure the absence of Andrei Kostitsyn and the vastly different playing style of his brother must have a great effect on the chemistry of that line. I’m not trying to be the grim reaper, prophet of doom, etc. it was only last game I really noticed it. Once again there is no reason to panic, RDS pointed out that Carbonneau isn’t worried, they ARE having a plethora of scoring chances.

20. georgesd says:

Thanks wd40, reached my limit of edits when I noticed my error. Appreciate. GD

21. TommyB says:

The NHL could put a second team in Toronto, but can’t put one in Hamilton??? Someone explain that one to me.

22. HabsColor says:

It’s believed the Wild is interested in Canadiens defenseman prospect Ryan McDonagh, a former Cretin-Derham Hall star and Minnesota Mr. Hockey who was Montreal’s No. 12 pick in 2007 and plays now at the University of Wisconsin. The Wild would also want an established player.

Who would be the “established player”???

23. mjames says:

It is you. Kovy did not play crap. He hit a post It was not his best game but he was threat whenever he was on the ice.

One thing about Lats. I like his skating effort. I would like him to work on his pass receiving. The puck seemed to bang off his stick whenever he was trying to receive a pass, especially those cross ice passes.

mjames

24. Wrik says:

I think that Chipchura looked great on the wing. Since he struggles in the Faceoff circle, may he could move to the wing and be a more effective player. He’s on a two-way, good decision to send him back down, he needs to play.

Anyhow, Sergei Kostitsyn is a special player.

25. wd40 says:

gotta typo up there:

2. Hits: Komisarek (1st=30), Lats (5th=23)

26. twocents says:

Ah…Chorske, you always come through. That is a far better analysis than what I have read over the last few days. That makes some sense. I was reacting to people who were saying he is being checked more closely and being double and triple teamed! and I just didn’t see it. Your saying teams are actually backing off a bit and taking his usual avenues away, thank you. Excellent analysis. I will be watching very closely for this over the next few games. With his skill set he is capable of making effective changes to his game, if he can see things as clearly as you and is determined to overcome the adjustments.

By the way, I wasn’t bitching, I was reacting to excuses being offered that did not ring true. I am a happy happy fan, as we should all be right now.

27. wd40 says:

1 in 3 is not a bad ratio for a backup, i’d say. At that rate, he’s lookin’ at what, 25+ games this year.

28. georgesd says:

A few stats about the Habs as a team:

1. Winning %ge: .917 rank: 3rd
    2. PK: 85.2% 11th
    3. PP: 17.9 % 15th
    4. Face offs: 53.3 % 6th
    5. Goals 5 on 5 For/against: 1.83 1st

A few stats about the Habs indivdual players:

1. +/-: 5 Habs top 13: Koivu (1st=8), Markov (2nd=7), Tanguay (3rd=7), Komisarek (8th=6), Latendresse (13th=5).
    2. Hits: Komisarek (1st=20), Latendresse (5th=23)
    3. Blocked shots: Komisarek (1st=27)
    4. Points: Koivu (8th=9), Markov (12th=9)
    5. Goalies Winning %: Price .939 (5th), Halak .967 (1st BUT not on NHL radar)

Regards GD

29. Mr.Hazard says:

So. Why don’t they let Halak play more games?

Ex nihilo nihil fit

30. HabFab says:

No Batman, it is “Holy Staulking Steiner”!

31. wd40 says:

PJ Stock would complain about the Habs if we had 6 wins in 5 games.

32. Chorske says:

OMG, holy restraining order!

:p

33. Chorske says:

I just read it. I agree that mood and motivation can play a factor, especially when a player is as mercurial as Kovalev. But I think it’s a bit harsh to ignore the fact that opposing teams have had an entire summer to plan against Kovy… and our power play, which several folks have rightly pointed out seems less effective than last year. We were #1 last year, so you can bet coaches spent a lot of time looking at how to beat us. I’m not surprised there’s an adjustment period.

To this I add: we were bitching about getting more 5 on 5 goals. We got em. We were bitching about most of our productivity coming from the Kovy line. We now have three-four lines chipping in, plus, our D is KILLING them in the offensive zone.

And last: last year, one comment that kept coming up was that Kovy, by focusing on holding the puck, was drawing guys to himself, freeing up space for his linemates. The press pointed it out, we noted it, so you gotta assume that the coaching staff of every single eastern conference team noticed it too. And I’ll bet the first thing they told their guys was: if Kovy has the puck, let him cycle against the boards, don’t let him into the slot, clog passes across the crease, and only one guy edges forward to challenge him. Seems to be working.

34. Steiner says:

This is going to be a bit off topic, but I didnt really know where else to write this.

This Saturday, the Ducks will be in town. Ever since I was a little girl, growing up in a hockey household, I never had the dream of meeting the Hollywood star, and was the odd girl out in my group of friends. My dream date was Teemu Selanne, and Guy Carbonneau. Not Brad Pitt and George Clooney.

Teemu Selanne is about to set foot in town, and I can’t tell you the excitement I feel. I have idolized this man since I was a little girl, and to meet him would be one of the most incredible moments of my life. I know that the Habs drive into the Bell Center, but what Im here to ask is if anyone knows when/where/how the visiting team enters the Bell Center on game day. I’m definitely not one to stand outside and wait for the Habs – I can’t imagine how irritating it must get for them – but this is different for me. To meet Mr. Selanne could fulfill a lifelong dream of meeting a man I idolized for his 76 goals as a seven year old girl.

If anyone knows when and where they come and go from the Bell Center you would certainly be making the seven year old girl in me happier than ever.

I appreciate any info.

Thanks guys!

35. twocents says:

Chorske, Do you really think Kovalev is being checked any more closely than he was after Christmas last year?

I don’t want to join in on a negative chorus here, it’s only six games and things can look very different in a week’s time but, I am not sure of that explanation. If you care to check, I have posted some thoughts on this matter on Boone’s current ‘About Last Night’ thread.

36. B says:

I smiled reading the following sentence from McGran’s article:

“Grabovski, who earnestly give interviews despite his broken English…”

37. Chorske says:

Um. “Puck hogging douchebag”?! Here’s the thing. That line had a lot of success last year because no one saw it coming. I didn’t, you didn’t, nobody here saw it, opposing teams certainly didn’t. The focus was on Koivu and his line, Koivu’s numbers reflected all the attention he was getting and Kovalev was like a kid in a candy factory. Since then, teams have had the time to see a lot of film and figure out ways to hamper them. They’re good players, they’ll work their way around it.

But the biggest effect is that opposing D’s are now being surprised by the resurgent Koivu Tanguay (and WHOA, Lats) line, to obvious effect- and Lang is always dangerous. And that’s exactly WHY we got Tanguay and Lang: to have strong #2 and #3 lines while opposing Ds focus on our #1 line.

You could therefore say that Kovy is taking one for the team.

38. ebk says:

nice post. Six games and we have to listen to the good Kovy/bad Kovy crap again.

39. fun police says:

there is no more important offensive player on our team than kovy. i don’t care how good of a start some of the players have had, everyone of them would tell you that they benefit from kovy, even if they are not on the same line. kovy draws the oppositions top checking line, he creates space and he is still getting plenty of scoring chances. he is our best player.

40. jimbo says:

Without being to much of a “Lats basher”here,but what does he do that Higgins wouldn’t surpass on that line?After watching the first 6 games,it’s important to say that Lats is playing more inspired this year compared to others.But to say he’s playing like a top line player or “power forward” is a little more than a stretch.He can’t take a pass which blows the rush,and on a line with quick transition,that’s a must have skill.He’d be better suited with Kovy and Lang,who are good with the puck,so all he has to do is play to his strength.Which is his size.He can skate to the front of the net and beat in rebounds or fish pucks out the corners to the more skilled guys who are not going to pass him the puck on the rush anyways.

41. Habs fan in SF says:

why do i torture myself and listen to PJ Stock’s show?? i can’t stand this guy. PJ is such a freakin’ idiot. he sounds like some of the dumb posters on here. despite us having 11 pts out of a possible 12, he still critisizes them.

is it just me, or isn’t it too freaking early to start getting on pleks and kovy’s back?? we’re only 6 games into the season, for christ’s sake!!!!!!

42. HabsFanInTampa says:

Ah yes. A team in Quebec City to resurrect the Nordiques/Canadiens bitter rivalry of the 80’s and 90’s. Count my vote in! As for another team in Toronto….YAWN!

43. Naila Jinnah says:

Poor guy. It’s a tough life!

44. HABZ24 says:

they prob sent chippy down because higgys returning sat.halak played great. watching latts skate last nite i was impressed, what a diff over last year.skating lessons over the summer helped.he skates a lil quicker, turns quicker and excels quicker.hits and gets infront of the net.good job latts. nice to have frankie back on the blue line.ya kovey went back to coasty last nite. 9 of 10 pts in 5 games awesome!! go habz goooooo!!

45. von says:

Chipper’s being sent down because we don’t play again till Saturday… May as well keep him fresh with the ‘Dogs playing tomorrow.

_________________________________
    “Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

46. Robert L says:

…and they’d be thrilled to finally have an NHL team!

47. Mike from Ktown says:

I feel that line is trying to hard in the sense that they feel they must get it going by themselves. I don’t know how many times this year I’ve seen Kovy bring the puck up the boards in the offensive zone and instead of cycling it down low he tries to cut back down by himself and loses the puck cause there are two guys on him. They just have to get back to basics and play the system they did last year and it will come.

48. sidhu says:

Not a reflection of Chipper’s play – it’s a salary cap move

49. fuhgawz says:

kovy bashers …… ah how nice of you to turn on the dude who was the team last season so nice to see you back …… good god we are 6 games into an 82 game season let it rest …… no one on the line has been lighting it up …….give it some time i think he is going through a low at the moment but will turn around mark my word !! …. last night i agree was a horrible game for him horrible!! ….. but i have seen Kovy play shitty one night and unreal the next before who’s to say it can’t happen again ….. things are not going his way at the moment i don’t think that makes him selfish or pissed off that he is not getting the attention you can tell he is fighting out there trying to do to much to pull it together … i am sure Carbo will have a chat with him or BG and settle him back in ….. time people time …. i say a Kovy with 50-60 points is still as good as a Kovy with 80+ points ….

50. Habs fan in SF says:

yeah, i realize it’s the biggest market. i see it from a business perspective, but i’d rather see a franchise back in winnipeg, and quebec city before i see another team in toronto.

51. Revolution No. 9 says:

I was thinking something along those lines but seeing the lines you’ve got there, I think it’s an even better idea.

52. Revolution No. 9 says:

Well, market-wise it is the biggest and most lucrative (aka: best for money). And, frankly, if I lived in TO, I would also demand another team based on the product currently on offer.

53. MikeL says:

biggest – yes
    best – no

54. MikeL says:

He will be back in the NHL sooner or later…

At this point in his career, I think it would be much more beneficial for him to play 3rd or 4th line minutes with the big team than first line minutes with Hamilton. We all know what he can do, he just needs a chance to do it. If he does not get a chance here, some team is going to pick of a real solid 3rd or 4th line leader.

55. Habs fan in SF says:

a second NHL team in Toronto?? i especially love this quote: “Why shouldn’t we put another team in the best and biggest market in the world?” one of several NHL governors who spoke with The Globe anonymously said of the Greater Toronto Area.”

56. jimbo says:

Switch Lats with Higgins and let’s get it going

57. HabFab says:

At least he is not floating ,just not clicking and producing.In fact he appears along with his two linemates to be trying too hard at times and getting more frustrated in the process.

58. davecessna says:

Is it just me or did Kovalev play like a real pile of crap last night. God, even Mr. Benny “Habscandonowrong” Brunet seemed to be on the cusp of calling Kovy out for a bunch of selfish plays and overambitious dekes that resulted in turnovers.

However, I still say the man is a modern day hockey hero (or King) for this city; even if it’s one, two, hell even 3 games he decides to play like a puck hogging douchebag, he’s probably the only player on the team who can get away with it without feeling too much ire from the fans.

59. Iceberg84 says:

If Andrei K. is healthy and ready to go next week, maybe they should consider breaking up the top line from last season. How about something like this?

Lats-Koivu-Tanguay
    Higgins – Lang – Kovalev
    Andrei K. – Plekanec – Sergei K.
    Laraque/Begin – Lapierre – Kostopoulos/Dandy

Just as a change of pace to see if we can get Kovalev and Plekanec competing with the Koivu line for point production. I mean I’m not complaining, I’m happy the team is winning, but I’d like to see the boys from last year’s top line find their scoring touch again. What do you guys think?

60. tony d says:

i hope he collects air miles

61. mrhabby says:

and how is BG going to fit MG into the cap. seems to me we would have to give up more than Higgins,Halak,Dandy,Begin. We have to keep Mcdonaugh ..will likely be a great DMan down the road.
    now Boumeester in HABS uniform i like..awesome.

62. bidds55 says:

Why would you break up the (by far) best producing line on the team?
    ______________
    For anyone interested, there is an awesome hockey card show at Centre Pierre Charbonneau in Montreal Oct 24, 25, 26 (the weekend of the HIO summit). I have no affiliation with it, but I’ll be there, as will Carey Price, Andrei & Sergei Kostitsyn and more!

63. HabsMadUK says:

Good post, although if you look at the stats after 6 games, Kovy is only 1 point off his total at the same point last season:

07/08 after 6 games: 3G, 2A, 5Pts, +/-Even
    08/09 after 6 games: 2G, 2A, 4Pts, +1

He does have almost twice as many shots though (21 so far this season, 11 at the same point last season) which may indicate he’s trying too hard – could having linemates in a bit of a funk be the cause of that? I haven’t seen much of the games (it seems they’re only screening laffs games in the UK at the moment) so can’t comment on the quality of the chances he’s had.

He’ll be fine!

64. Number31 says:

Yup, the team needs him to step in and close the door when Price gets a break. Price may get the harder teams, but everyone still shoots like an NHLer. I don’t think the other guys in the line are ready to take over that slot. It keeps the team winning too, so why would they want to lose him? (That said, even he wanted to stay here instead of go elsewhere for a number 1 job during the summer contract talks).

65. twocents says:

I have a feeling Bob isn’t the type to deliver that message twice, especially to 35 year old professional.

66. Chorske says:

Fair enough. Perhaps its time Bob took him for another walk, haha.

67. Chorske says:

I have a dream too! Her name is Alba. ;)

68. Willy the bum says:

How about bringing a team to Yellowknife? Oh, now that’s something. They should call them “the Yellowknife Inukshuks.” I would definitely see a season of them in the blizzering cold, and letting Don Cherry pronounce the name…

———-
    “We all wore the same costume as Maurice Richard did; the red-white-and-blue costume of the Montréal Canadiens, the best hockey team in the world.” - Roch Carrier

69. major says:

Oh, and it could be as simple as creating an “All” tag.

70. major says:

Just to clarify, I’m not suggesting that they move Boone’s posts or abolish his section – he should keep his own section. What I’m advocating is a view option that allows for an aggregate view of ALL the HIO content, including Main/Boone/OtherWing bloggers etc.

71. habsgod says:

or how’s this one?

WHAT’S BLUE AND WHITE AND LIVES IN THE BASEMENT?

ANSWER:
    THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS!

72. Fansincebirth says:

We’re technically undefeated and we’re not even firing on all cylinders yet. Look out when we hit our stride!!!

73. linp says:

For me, we are one quality D-man short to become a complete team for this year. Brisebois is too slow and O‘Byrne needs improvement including his reflex in front of the net.

74. LatheDog says:

I heard today on a radio station that Hamilton won’t get a franchise because it would ultimately kill the Buffalo Sabres franchise.

75. JIMVINNY says:

Edmonton tried it once with Mike Morrison. Didn’t work then, either.

76. HabsColor says:

It’s only once in my memory, 10 minutes ago. Wilson, a good coach? maybe, but not this time.

77. BIG-D says:

No wonder he was slow, he was cold.

The only thing that was hot was the bench under his Butt…….

78. BIG-D says:

Have that happened before, the coach putting in the back up for the shootout?

I think it is the dumbest move a coach can make, to put a stone cold Goalie in after being on the bench for 65 mins……

79. Habhopeful says:

Wow Heres something Ive never seen…A 10 Minute Powerplay for Washington!!

“We get nose jobs all the time in the NHL, and we don’t even have to go to the hospital.”
    ~Brad Park.

80. wd40 says:

sorry but it’ll be a very cold day in hell before i root for the Leafs. Ha ha. i can’t belive i wrote warm. i’m such an idiot.

i only caught the 3rd period, but the ducks did seem pretty listless.

81. subdoxastic says:

so does Cujo get the win if T.O. wins, and the loss if they lose?

lots of interesting rule stuff going on with goalies over the past two nights (Vokoun on the bench for an icing call last night was interesting also)

82. Chorske says:

That was shite. Dumb decision. Joseph looked slow on both goals.

83. Habhopeful says:

Hate to say it but Toronto Is Dominating Anaheim Completely and they finally tied it up, they are showing some heart not giving up…

~Brad Park.

84. vaya_ says:

i can’t believe i’m rooting for the leafs. anaheim is playing terribly, no emotion at all. i like the grabovski/hagman/kulemin line, fast and dangerous though they lack finish. i guess that summarizes toronto in general. anyways, let’s go leafs! just for now… i don’t wanna see a team like anaheim come away with the win.

85. HabsProf says:

Clearly, they expect one or more of Begin/Kostitsyn/Laraque to be back for Saturday. If not, or if someone else goes down, he’ll be back. He did himself a big favour with the game he turned in. Nothing flashy, but a good, solid performance.

In the meantime, the ‘dogs have at least one game this week, so let him play some more.
    _____________________________________
    “Deserves” got nothin’ to do with it.

86. Number31 says:

Chips… :( I was hoping to see him play in the Ducks game…Ah well, such is life. I guess this means Higgins will be playing? Then they can STOP with the STUPID Gaborik rumors.
    ******
    the notwithstanding clause – The general consensus of an ordinary Habs fan in Montreal

87. howtathor says:

I can’t believe I’ve been watching the Leafs for 2 hours! I can justify it by saying that I’m scouting the Ducks. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

88. Habs fan in SF says:

if i was toskala, i’d be livid. he’s the only bright spot on the laffs this year, and why would you do anything to piss him off? i didn’t watch the game so i obviously don’t know the reasons. i like ron wilson. i actually think he’s a good coach and put in a no win situation in toronto, but putting in cujo? i don’t see the reason.

89. nightmare_49 says:

Big James – It’s all about Ron Wilson.

90. Kristopher7 says:

Oh really?

91. Kristopher7 says:

I feel bad for Chips man… the guy’s gonna be sent back and forth A LOT this season if there’s constant injury. He’s worth more than we all think… maybe not skill-wise but in reliability.

92. bidds55 says:

According to TSN, no goalie who has been brought in cold for the shootout has ever stopped a shot! Nevermind won, they haven’t made a single save. 0 saves in 6 attempts!

Mind you, Toskala is the worst shootout goalie in the league, his record is about 2-13. Can’t blame Wilson for not wanting him back there.

___________

93. Ground Chuck says:

I was at the game (girlfriend’s a laff fan… but a HOT laff fan) and we were stunned at the decision to put Joseph in stone cold. Of course, the laff fans cheered like crazy, not fully appreciating the folly of the move. On the first shot, Selanne made Joseph look like a pee-wee goalie.

Laffs suck, big time.

94. bigjames says:

you could maybe understand it if the goalie had sucked, but there is no evidence of that at all! i am stunned that a coach would pull such a move. wow is all i can say…

95. HabsProf says:

Ouch!!! I repeat, I’d trade it all in a heartbeat. Deadly, deadly serious. We have the warm weather, the palm trees – this place is still a sh##hole. It has a few amenities, but it is still a sh##hole.

The parts of California that are nice to live in are either too expensive or too weird – usually both.

_____________________________________
    “Deserves” got nothin’ to do with it.

96. tony d says:

it’s so cold tonight that you can go ffffffff___k yourself

97. HabsProf says:

And all of it is true – including the part about how I would give it up in a heartbeat to return to Canada.

_____________________________________
    “Deserves” got nothin’ to do with it.

98. REB says:

Now that is cruel…funny, but cruel!

99. REB says:

Not to sound rude or anything like that, but…what’s stopping you?

100. HabsProf says:

Job and other personal reasons. I’m a university professor which means the job market is small. No school, for example, is hiring in my field in Ontario this year (one is hiring elsewhere in Canada, but, without going into details, I don’t qualify). I have considered going into industry, but I just love teaching too much.

I have two kids, both with severe handicaps. Without turning this into an overly detailed sob-story, my wife and I have both concluded that a move is not in their interests.

Life is a bunch of trade-offs. For all my complaining, there are things that are good here, but I find that as time goes by, I am not growing into the US as my home (and I’ve been here over a decade). Instead, the place feels more and more alien to me, and I am increasingly aware that I am in a foreign country.

I read Nailah’s (sp?) blog the other day about her weekend trip to Kingston. That is where I went to school and met my wife. It is still the city that I most consider home. Her description of places that were intimately familiar to me warmed my heart – and filled me with homesickness.

They say home is where the heart is. Mine is in the north. In time, I have no doubt I will return. I just don’t know when.
    _____________________________________
    “Deserves” got nothin’ to do with it.

101. Hockey11 says:

Kosto does not have the finish or the set up capability to warrant 2nd line minutes. I am not a Gui fan but he can finish but not create. Gui with 2 skilled players is justifiable combo. Show Gui some some Holmstrom footage and teach him how to eat Husmanskost and you may be on to something.

102. fuhgawz says:

wtf? ……. t-bomb upgraded and demote gui?….. huh?

wow … hopefully you do not coach hockey at any level

103. The Capitalist Pig says:

Your line combos and $2.00US will get you on the NYC subway and nothing more!

104. swim_ny says:

Kostopoulos playing great all over the ice, offense, defense blocking shots – most improved IMO. His physical presence on 2nd line will free up more space for Lang-Kovalev to do their thing – moreso than Lats.

Sorry, Lats needs to work his way up – 4th line – and if he sulks, send him to Hamilton and bring back Chip to take his spot.

Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay
    Kostopoulos – Lang – Kovalev
    Andrei K. – Plekanec – Sergei K.
    Lats – Lapierre – Dandy
    Laraque/Begin

105. likehoy says:

you’re breaking up our most productive line…Lats has been playing like a possessed man lately…i wouldn’t break the chemistry so soon.

106. showey47 says:

Do you even watch hockey? T.k. on the second line and lats on the 4th?

107. REB says:

Dude, lay off the hooch, your brain is impaired!

108. sidhu says:

swim_ny = JFJ

109. The Capitalist Pig says:

Tom the Bomb is just Guy Lafleur without a shitload of natural ability!

110. usversusthem says:

Also he can’t speak French. And he’s… he’s uglier. But! He does know how to lose fights. I bet Lafleur never lost even one fight in his whole career. Whatta pansy.

111. Fansincebirth says:

It’s probably already been said but….

Now they’ll have two teams that suck!

112. The M says:

it’s how the ol’ joke goes: Why doesn’t Hamilton have an nhl team?????????? because then toronto would want one too

113. biffbaddy says:

Shouldn’t toronto get 1 nhl team before they go for a 2nd?? Sorry had to, I’m surrounded being a habs fan living in TO.

114. Robert L says:

They have to start with at least one NHL calibre player!

115. showey47 says:

They are already the 3rd best team in southern ontario behind the bulldogs and marlies. This would just make them the 4th.

116. HabFab says:

Nasssty!!but I love it.

117. tony d says:

I was talking to a Leafs fan today and when he found out I was a Habs fan, he said, “Oh, so you cheer for a ‘professional’ hockey team… (Swear to God)

I’m going to flip if Mike Boone has arranged for Penelope Cruz to be the special guest at the Summit.

Going for the Brass Ring – 25 Cups in 100 Years

119. Robert L says:

Boone would get us Bea Arthur.

120. likehoy says:

i’m whipping out my NES and playing duck hunt.

Roast Duck is on the summit menue Sat. night, were going to carve them up.

122. Robert L says:

I made two calls today. I got a possible maybe, and a definite maybe. I’ll let you guess what I’m talking about because you know I know you know what I’m talking about.

There will be a new Summit post on it in the morning.

No beer was consumed in the composition of this post. I’m just having fun with you here, but I’m toasted tired.

Something to read in the meantime:

The Crown Jewel Of Canadiens Collectibles

123. showey47 says:

Chipper looked great last night and didn’t look out of place playing the wing. Not a bad thing for him to get sent down since the dogs play tomorrow night. For now it is a numbers game. Depending on higgins,ak 46 and laraque he may be back up before saturday. Soon enough he will be a regular on our 4th line.

It’s snowing pretty hard here right now in Slowville – if we make a trade for Bouwmeester then I want to be part of the package that goes the other way to Florida. I believe we already have a HIO poster in Tampa so I’ll sacrifice and be the guy in Miami:-)

Going for the Brass Ring – 25 Cups in 100 Years

125. HabsProf says:

Dare I mention that it is 83F (~28C) here in California? I was swimming in my pool this weekend – the water temperature is still around 73F (~23C). Then I was sipping a margarita made with lemon juice from the lemon trees I have in my backyard (pretty soon, I’ll be able to have a breakfast orange from backyard tree as well).

Ah, crap, who am I kidding. I’d trade it all in a heartbeat to get back to Canada. Gripe all you want about the snow – it’s still home.

_____________________________________
    “Deserves” got nothin’ to do with it.

126. HabsProf says:

Gotta love this comment from Andrew Raycroft, whose 2 wins so far this season match his total wins last year with Toronto. When asked the reason for his turnaround, Raycroft replied “I’m on a much better team than I was on last year. Scoring five goals a game makes my life much easier.”

Ouch! Take that Taranna!

_____________________________________
    “Deserves” got nothin’ to do with it.

127. bidds55 says:

Maybe an extra bit of good fortune for our Habs for Saturday night: according to TSN:

Ryan Getzlaf is a late scratch for tonights game against the Leafs with infected dental work…..OUCH. Hope he feels better – but not til Sunday.

____________

128. Dee says:

OH PLEASE!!!!! Another hockey team in Hogtown.Maybe they should call them the Toronto Hogs!! I have heard everything now,well coming from T.O anything is possible!!! The question on the Montreal news tonight was,do you think Montreal could handle another hockey team.I thought I was hearing things I don’t think in my life time.I was born a Habs fan will die a Habs fan.Maybe in Quebec city, Hamilton or another city out west.The other news I heard tonight was Brian Birk is leaving the ducks by Christmas and maybe go to the Leafs? reason he has children in the east and his wife can’t find a job in LA.

Habs Fan 4 Ever & Ever Amen.

129. StillattheMapes says:

The delusions of grandeur and Toronto’s second hockey franchise on TSN. Really. Every now and then — when you need a major dose of unreality in the harsh daily reality of everything else — you listen to the Toronto media, albeit and admittedly with some lenses of (isolated) sanity. Could it? Would it? Well no, not really, not ever. Let Hamilton have a team and maybe we can talk, or alternatively you could transform most of the counties of south and southwestern Ontario into neo-boroughs of metropolitan Toronto, which I dare say would not be very popular with most of the local residents. The concept of “Toronto” from this pseudo-marketing perspective is bloated and offensive, and speaks of extensive greedy urban government and worse. Maybe Toronto should focus on one team right now… hey guys, hockey isn’t always about money, but then of course you’re not from my city or even remotely close to understanding it.

The boys fare very well just now, may it continue this way……….

130. likehoy says:

they hope with two teams in toronto it’ll double their chances to win a championship before the 22nd century

131. HabsColor says:

Jim Balsillie would sue the NHL idiots if they set up 2nd franchise in Tor.
    What a shame on Hamilton, Cambridge-Waterloo-Kitchener, Winnipeg, Quebec city.

Fxxx those NHL franchise lenders!

132. RGM says:

Easy come, easy go, little high, little low…

He played well last night but obviously this most recent demotion means that Higgins will be good to go for Saturday night. You guys had speculated last week on the Puckcast that Chipchura’s aspirations with the Canadiens had pretty much reached the end of the line; it looks like yesterday was a brief reprieve but is there anything that can possibly get him back up the depth chart to the point that he can realistically be expected to make it full-time?

—–

133. Big Bird says:

My few cents from the peanut gallery:

(1) I don’t believe Chipchura’s career with Montreal is over. Far from it.

He’s getting good seasoning in the AHL just like our current coach did before he became a perrenial defensive specialist in the NHL. Why play 5-10 minutes a night in the NHL or ride the pine when he can get 20 minutes in the AHL. If we have injuries or a trade he will be back this year.

(2) If Chipchura doesn’t get a regular spot this year, he will next year. Why? We also need to remember that we have a lot of openings next year where players such as Dandenault, Begin, Lang, Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu will become UFA’s. We will probably keep half of them which therefore opens up some slots for other players like Chipchura. His time will come.

(3) Although this is tough for a young player, this is the benefit of the tremendous job that Trevor Timmins and the scounting staff have done to stock up the team with prospects in the pipeline.

Sulemaan – Chipchura’s fate this season is to be the bouncing rubber ball that goes between Montreal and Hamilton throughtout the year. Right now, his talent level, and day to day play, are no better or worse than the other 4th liners. The fact that he doesn’t have to clear waivers (and everyone else has to do so) pretty well dictates this course of action. Cap considerations also come into play. Your second point nicely summaries where he will fit in next year with the Habs. For now, he’s a role player who fills in when the need arises.

Going for the Brass Ring – 25 Cups in 100 Years

135. HabFab says:

Agree 100% and the Bulldogs have a game tomorrow night.This would also indicate that the Habs expect Higgins and or AK46 back for Saturday .

136. arcosenate says:

The depth chart will be different next year. And he is still a good prospect. He can play a role on this team, as a winger probably, and he is a character guy. I would keep him.

137. coutNY says:

I think he played well with Dandenault and Lapierre, Lang, Kosto, ect… was a +2 on the Give/Take away ratio creating a few turnovers. It is what you like to see from the role he was given. Keep Truckin’ Chips you’ll soon find a spot in the line-up…

138. Exit716 says:

His hustle set up the winning goal. It’s great to have depth, it keeps the young kids motivated. Now about that powerplay and Kovalev….

139. Habs_008 says:

Hopefully Higgins comes back Saturday, if not Chips will be back up. We also dont play until saturday, The bulldogs might have a game or two this week. I dont know their sced, why not get him a game or two and then bring him back up.

140. craz11 says:

Too bad for the kid, he played great last night.

His spot in the lineup is currently occupied by Dandy, and his time in the NHL will have to wait until Dandaneault is traded. Which hopefully is sooner rather than later.

I agree with everyone saying he seemed far more effective on the wing. When Chips does get back into the NHL full-time, he will be an effective player.

141. Bugs says:

- Sundin joins cast of “Desperate Housewives”.
    Desperate Housewives, a prime time drama featuring a flock of desperate, ugly women, whose secrets and truths unfold in a quiet suburban neighborhood, has found its newest cast member — Mats Sundin.
    According to Mary Stark, a longtime fan of the show, Sundin’s presence brings an “air of class” to the show. Something it’s been missing since the days since “that chick totally lied to that other chick and they were all like, ‘you bitch’ and junk!”

______________________________________________________
    Lord Bugs Potter, esq. Earl of Fluppitburg, Baron of Flopshlupshire and Knight of the Flannel Republic.

142. Mr.Hazard says:

Huh.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

No game for a few days so they come out with a gimmick headline to sell a few papers.

I hope we don.t Sundin this to death on here also, give me a break, not even worth a comment.

144. The Teacher says:

Haha, I hope they don’t come out sluggish on Saturday as well.

My suggested overtime format and other sports talk